November 1895


November 4 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The Wolverhampton Wanderers appeared at Goodison Park on Saturday to fulfill their return engagement, and at the commencement of the game, there would be about 13,000 spectators present. There were several changes in the visitors team from that which, took part in the initial contest while the Evertonians were represented by the side that Drew with Burnley on the previous Saturday. At three o'clock the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Hillman goal, Adams, and Arridges backs, Goldie Boyle (captain), and Stewart, halfbacks Latta, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Wanderers: - Rose, goal, Baugh and Dunn backs, Nurse, Malpass, and Owen, halfbacks, Tonks Henderson, Beats, Woods, and Blacks, forwards. The Wolves opened the play, and at once made tracks along the left Wood sending in a lobbing shot, which Hillman got away at the expense of a fruitless corner. Good play by Stewart, and an excellent cross shot by Latta to Chadwick, left the Wolves goal open, but the last named shot high over the bar, a feat which was repeated almost directly afterwards. The ball was quickly at the other end, and a foul against the home side resulted in Dunn placing the ball in the net without, however, touching a player in transit. The next item was a grand run down by Milward after Bell had made the opening, and Rose was called upon to clear a hot shot, Hillman being also called out by Wood, the custodian just reaching the ball, and tipping it over the bar. Immediately following Hartley was wedged between Baugh and Dunn, when everyone was expecting a tangible point to result, but the ball was not effively cleared, and Latta sent in a fine dropping shot, which called for the best attentions of Rose. Beats caused Hillman to run out, and then followed a pretty movement on the home left, Hartley finishing up with a swift low shot which went slightly wide of the mark. Keeping up the pressure, the Wolves were penalised, and after Adams had placed the ball well up it came out to Chadwick, who drove into the net after 26 minutes play. Getting to work again the home forwards were in evidence. Bell finished with a weak effort, but a moment later he levelled a grand shot at Rose, which just skimmed the bar. Meanwhile Goldie and been keeping Black and Wood well in check, and placing the ball nicely to latta, that player sent it across to Milward, who tricked Baugh and scored with a fine swift shot. Following this second reverse, Woods, Beats, and Henderson put forward big efforts and repeatedly got well down, but invariably they had to try their luck by taking aim at some considerable distance from Adams and Arridge. Play up to the change of ends ruled fairly even, when Everton had the lead by two goals to none. The second half opened with the Wolves in possession, and Adams save certain downfall within a couple of minutes from the resumption by cleverly tackling Henderson when close on Hillman's charge. Milward and Chadwick changed the venue and Bell supplemented, but was too anxious to score, and there Hartley sent in a stinging shot which, Rose cleverly met. Following a corner well placed by Milward, the home centre back headed over the bar. During the next few minutes the Everton left indulged in some pretty work, and Baugh's best efforts to say their course were often brought into requisition. From a sudden break away Henderson had the goal at his mercy, but shot high over the bar and in a trice Hartley, Bell, and Chadwick made off, the last named driving in strongly, only to find the ball rebound from the crossbar. The general play was now altogether in favour of Everton, for it was only at odd times that the Wolves cross the half way line, but so stubborn was their defence, that nothing further was recorded against them, the home lot running out easy victors by 2 goals to nil.


November 4, 1895. Birmingham Daily Post

After being beaten on their own ground by Everton, the Wolverhampton Wanderers had no great hopes that their visit to Goodison Park would reverse the result of the first league encounter between the teams. The in and out form Everton have displayed this season, however, combined with the determination of the Wolves to do their very best to wipe out the previous defeat, made their chances look a little better; but as events turned out Everton rose to the occasion, and succeeded in capturing another couple of points at the expense of the Wanderers by two goals to nil. It must be admitted that on the day's play the winners were entitled to victory; but if, in the earlier stages, the visiting forwards had made better use of the opportunities the fortunes of the game might easily have been changed. Harry Wood, too, had particularly hard lines with fast long shots, which, fortunately for Everton, were intercepted by the crossbar. During the first half Hillman had plenty to do, but he managed to keep his charge intact, while Rose was twice beaten through no fault of his own, the shots with which Chadwick and Milward scored being fine efforts. Singularly enough, it was during this period of the game, when the play was pretty even, that Everton gained the points. In the second half, when they did nearly all the pressing, they failed to add to their score –a fact which speaks volumes for the brilliance of the Wolves defence. Indeed, the magnificent defence of the Wanderers was quite a feature of the game, and if only their attack had been anything like so good they might now be regretting the loss of two points. In the open the forwards were clever enough, but when they did get openings they were nullined by weak shooting. Just after the second half started the Wolves rushed away in splendid style, and Henderson had the goal at his mercy, but somehow or another he allowed Adams to knock him off the ball, and the chance was gone. After this the attacks of the Wolves were spasmodic and lacking in sting. Too great praise cannot be accorded to Rose and his comrades for the determined opposition which they offered to all the efforts of the Everton forwards. True, the shooting of the Evertonians was not of the best, but Rose was quite to every emergency, while Baugh and Dunn played a sterling game, and time after time secured the ball when a goal seemed inevitable. The half-back line rendered valuable assistance. Nurse being about the weakest in a remarkably fine trio. This, however, may be due to the fact that he had to contend with Chadwick and Milward, who played brilliantly, and quite cast into the shade their companions on the right –Latta and Bell. Though without Holt, the Everton half backs worked well together, and the backs were fairly safe; worked well together, and the backs were fairly safe; while Hillman in goal did his work in masterly fashion.


November 4 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

At Newton, the game was very fast for a time, and after about 20 minutes play McInnes opened the scoring for Everton. Hill shot a second a few minutes later, Mainman added a third and before changing ends McInnes added two more. Half time Everton 5 goals, newton nome. Everton added three more in the second half, the final result being 8 goals to 1 in favour of Everton.



November 4 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

By their victory last the Evertonians for the second time during the first half dozen years succeeded in obtaining the full possible points as the result of a season's league engagements with the Wolverhampton Wanderers. The game was not of a particularly brilliant character, for it was only at odds intervals that really high class work was divulged. The early portion of play ran on fairly even lines, but as the interval approached there was a distinct superiority in the movements of the Evertonians, and during the second half this was anphasised in a very marked degree, and it was extremely unfortunate for the Everton record that their forwards were somewhat off colour in the shooting department. The visiting from line, especially in the early portion of play, executed some clever passages which, promised better things, but the game was not many minutes old before the weaker wing was noticed, and at every possible opportunity it was played upon to a nicely. The dashing play in the centre and on the left often caused the greatest anxiety to the Everton defenders, but the incessant strain put upon the Wolves attack in this division soon had a deterrent effect, for after the first 20 minutes the home team was complete masters of the situration. The work of the Everton attacking line was particularly good until close quarters were reached, and what with hard lines and occasional indifferent shooting the goal record was kept under considerably. Comparing the front lines, the blue had a fairly powerful lead, but their greatest strength lay at halfbacks, where some excellent all round play was one of the dominant features of the game. Clever tackling and accurate placing to the van should have brought about more sunstantials results, especially so as the play of the opposing trio was not up to the usual standard. The honour of the backs division were equally divided, both sides giving an excellent exposition of defensive tactics, and with regard to goalkeeping there was no fault to find on either side. Chadwick and Milward were, as of old speedy tricky, and generally effective, and but for being opposed to Baugh in his very best conditions they must have repeatedly lowered the colours of the Wolves. The two goals were obtained by these players, and they were the result of truly magnificent efforts, both being swift oblique shots accurately placed beyond the reach of the custodian. Hartley was very capable in the centre but he, too, found Baugh and Dunn in a stubborn mood. In addition to several good individual efforts down the centre he frequently opened out the play to his wings in a manner that contributed greatly to the attractiveness of the proceedings. Bell was rarely allowed, quarter by the opposing halves, who, however, frequently lost ground by reason of their too close attentions to this player whose work nevertheless in conjunction with that of Latta, was of good quality. The outside man was often hampered, but he got in some fine centres, and one of his smart passes across the field resulted in the second goal for his side. Goldie, Boyle and Stewart were a powerful trio, and the work of each was solid, both in aim and character, while the play of Adams and Arridges delighted the large crowds which at times gave full vent to their enthusiasm. They covered one another when in difficulties to a nicety and were always successful in checking an ugly swooped upon their goal. Hillman was not severely tested, but the shots that came his way were cleared in his usual finished style. On the other hand, Rose, the visors, Custodians had plenty of work on hand, and considering the heavy pressure he came well out of the ordeal with but a couple of defeats. Baugh and Dunn, in the second half especially, were simply invincible. They met the Everton attack in truly clever fashion, and in a manner of speaking were here, there and everywhere, when hot pressure was laid on their change. Moreover, their kicking was clean, and well directed, and but for their fine display their side must have suffered a very heavily defeat.

On Tuesday evening West Bromwich Albion are due at Everton and the game will be played under the rays of Well's lights. The after proceedings will be delivered by a firework display, and, as the venture is directed to charitable purposes, viz. Lifeboat Institution and various hospitals, it is hoped that the project will receive instinted support.



November 6 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The directors of the Everton Football Club, who are ever to the fore in the cause of our local charities, again came forward, last night in a well deserved effort to benefit the Liftboat Funds and the various Hospitals of our city. It was extremely unfortunate that the weather upon the last occasion as upon this, was all against a bumper attendance, but notwithstanding the adverse conditions they are to be congratulated on having a fairly hearty response to their efforts. The proceedings on this occasion took the form of a friendly football match between Everton and west Bromwich Albion, followed by a firework display, As showing the spirit and desire to aid a good causes by our leading local club, we may mention that they return the compliment by playing a charity match at West Bromwich for a similar object. In spite of miserable conditions of the weather, the enclosure was fairly well patronised, and early visitors were entaintained by a poplar selection of music rendered by the band of the Boys Refuge. The rain lucklily abated about ten minutes before the commencement of the match, and visitors trooped in freely. The wells lights were an undoubted success, and the game could be followed with a fair amount of ease. Everton won by four goals to one, every player seemingly entering into spirit of the novel conditions under which, they were playing. To ordinary observers the game was an attractive one in many ways. First and foremost the play was characterized by an mount of esprit not often attendant in the usual run of friendlies, and the intrinsic merit of the display was little below a hotly contested League engagement. A criticism of the players would be indidous, as all worked with a will from start to finish, and evidently met with a desire to do justice both to the spectators and the cause they were supporting. The Everton left wing pair as usual outshone their opponents, and a word praise is also due to Hillman for his display goal. While Albion right positions throughout left nothing to be desired. Hartley scored the first for Everton on the call of half time, and on turning round Milward added a couple, and Bell closed the account with a fourth, while a smart piece of play towards the close gave the Albion their only point. we are pleased to state that the Everton directors, showing their public spirit, are giving medals to the winning team as a memento, and it is satisfactory that our locals have the honour of their possession. The proceeding conclued by a firework display by Messrs Pain, under the superintendence of Mr. Ramsbottom Liverpool, which went off with great success. Our local charities will obtain some little support, and it is a matter of regret that what would have undoubtedly proved a most enjoyable affair was only marred by the inclement weather

Teams Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams and Arridges, backs, Goldie, Boyle (captain), and Stewart, halfbacks Latta, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick and Milward, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Williams and Horton, backs, Perry (t), Higgins, Banks, halfbacks, Bassett (captain), McLeod, Hutchinson, Kelsey, and Paddock forwards .



November 11 1895. The Liverpool Courier

The Everton team visited Sheffield on Saturday to play the return League engagement. There had been heavy rains in the district during the week, and the ground was in sodden conditions. There would be about 6,000 spectators present when the teams put in an appearance and faced as follows: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams, and Arridges backs, Goldie, Boyle (captain), and Stewart, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes, Hill, and Cain, backs Howell, Needham and Jones, halfbacks, Yates (s), Gambles Hammond, Frew, and Watson, forwards . Everton started against a slight breeze, and following some tame play about midfield, where several of the men vied with each others efforts to kept their feat, Needham opened out the play for Yates on the right, and after Adams had been beset by Watson a corner followed which resulted, which resulted in Howell driving over the line. Then following a fine movement between Hartley, McInnes, and Bell, but the latter was unfortunately offside. On returning again Cain only kept Bell out by means of a fine overhead kick, which resulted in Watson making the running to the other end, and testing Hillman with a high swift shot, which was ably attended to. For some little time Needham was successful in keeping the visiting line at bay, but eventually Chadwick and Milward raced down, only to find Hill in readiness. Then followed a nice movement all along the United line, and they eventually swooped down on Hillman's charge, and after stiff bully in front the ball came out to Hammond, who made a most foeble attempt to put it through. Getting to work again Adams headed out a WARM SHOT FROM Watson, and then play for some little time settled down in midfield. Mcinnes broke off and screwed in beautifully, but Foulkes happened to be in the right spot for saving and a second effort on the part of the inside right was worthy of better deserts as under difficulties he shot in Needham in attempting to clear nearly put the ball into the net. The next item was a strong rush down to the Everton goal, and Hillman caused considerable confusement to the crowd by the cool manner in which, he edged off a couple of opponents and then cleared the ball. A free kick against McInnes gave Jones a choice of placing the ball well in front of goal, and Following a short skirmish Hammond put it into the net, play having been in progess about half an hour. On resuming a miskick by Hill let in the Everton forwards, and aftersome smart work in which, Bell, Hartley, and Milward had a hand, the last named equalised. The United looked like taking the lead again, as Stewart was pulled up and the goal blocked, but bad shooting spiled their chance, and immediately afterwards, Arridge gave relief by driving the ball across to bell, and with McInnes in attendance Foulke's charge was reached. Milward sent in a fine shot along the ground, and it took the custodian's best efforts to reach it, and with the ball cleared the whistle announced the interval with the score 1 goal each. The second half opened in very brisk fashion, and it was quite apparent that the Evertonians meant to force the game. Chadwick shot in, and the ball appeared to be over the line, but the referee ruled otherwise, and after a persistence pressure, against which, Hill, Cain, and foulkes, was fine defenders. Needham raced down in very clever fashion until Goldie stayed his career and placed the ball nicely to Bell without, however, any effective result. A miskick by Goldie gave Adams some trouble, but the ball was got a way, and Milward sprinted down on the left, and on parting, Cain and McInnes made for the ball, and the former only partially got it away, Hartley was in readiness and banged it into the net thus giving his side the lead. From this point on to the end of the game there was only one team in it, and that was certainly not the United. The visiting forwards played with refreshing vigour and how the home custodian got away repeated shots, were simply marvellous. Towards the close of play, Yates made a big effort, and having all opponents down the wing, he put in a beautiful centre, which would most likely have met with reward had not gambles been in the way. No further scoring was done, and Everton won by 2 goals to 1.



November 11 1895. The Liverpool Courier

Played at Goodison Park. The opening stages of the game were fairly evening, but at length the Evertonians began to work well together and after several invasions of the Victoria goal, Mainman had a clear opening, and took full advantage of it. For some little time the home van attacked presently but Stanley and Douglas the visiting full backs, met their efforts fairly well, and it was not until getting close on the interval that Schofield headed into the net from a fine centre by Reay. Latta next had a shot which, Smith very ably attended to, but scoring was again left for Mainman, who beat Smith with a beautiful shot, and then Reay added another which left the Blues leaders at half time by 4 goals to nil. The second half was altogther in favour of the home side, who kept up a heavy pressure throughout. Latta further increased the lead. And later on Scholfield and Reay added goals. Everton eventually won by 7 goals to nil. Played 7, won 6, Lost o, drawn 1, for 35 against & Points 13



Novemeber The Liverpool Courier

Although the weather was altogether unfavourable for the pursuit of outdoor sport on Saturday, there was a crowd of about 25,000 spectators at Everton, who braved the elements, and withstood the discomfort of a heavy downpourt which, fell with but for assertions during the game. The visit of the Wearsiders is always looked forward to and there is no gainsaying the fact that when they appear at Goodison Park they prove the most profitable draw of the season. Both clubs have been mending considerably of late, and never perhaps had the issue of a game been a more open one than on Saturday. Both clubs relied upon the same teams that had done so well on the previous Saturday, and at 2-45 took up their positions as follows: - Everton: - Hillman, goal, Adams and Arridge, backs, Goldie Boyle (captain), and Stewart, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick and Milward forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, Gow, and Gibson backs, Wilson, McCreadie, and Johnston, halfbacks, Gillespie, Miller, Campbell, Hannah (d), and Scott forwards. The Sunderland skipper had the choice of ends, and Hartley put the ball in motion against a fair breeze. Chadwick and Milward were the first to make progess, but it was not sustained, and following a neat sprint by Gillespie, supplemented by some good halfback play by Wilson the home defence was severely tested. A free kick further the Wearsiders when Goldie cleared powerfully and after some splendid passing by the Everton forwards, Bell had a clear opening, but unfortunately shot over the bar. A foul against Hartley caused the Evertonians to beat a retreat especially so as Gow placed the ball well in front of Hillman when Stewart stepped across and foiling Campbell, put Milward and Chadwick in possession. Pretty combination between this pair resulted in the outside man sending in a shot which just grazed the bar, and from the goalkick Bell ran brilliantly down the right, but was not well supported and McCreadie transferred to Miller, who in conjunction with Gillespie reached the other end, whence Arridge and Adams had plenty of work in hand. The ball eventually came to McCreadie, who sent in a rasping shot which Hillman ably cleared, and after Bell had again made the running, Chadwick fastened on the ball, and levelled a beautiful shot at Doig, who cleared in most clever fashion. Matters now looked threatening for the home side, as Boyle was penalised close in, but Miller and Campbell were too previous in their situration to Hillman and from the free kick the Evertonians were again in possession. Milward finished wide, as also did Bell, and McCreadie put in a magnificent shot, which, took Hillman all his time to get safely away. Again bell made a big attempt to get through, but Gibson had the better of the race, and his final touch was wide. At this juncture the Evertonians held a powerful lead, and three corners were forced in quick succession. Bell a moment later unfortunately, lay offside, and on Gillespie leading the way to the other en, both Wilson and Johnston had a shot at Hillman but neither was successful. Goldie who had been playing a successful game against Scott and Hannah placed the ball beautifully into the goalmouth, and from a second attempts a few minutes later he justed skimmed the bar from long range, A movement by McInnes and Bell fairly roused the spectators to enthusiasm, which reached a climax on Chadwick almost springing a down fall from a most difficult position. McInnes fairly troubled Gibson and forced a corner, and after Doig had saved Goldie shot strongly along the ground, but there were too many Sunderland defenders to allow of his attempt making effort. In close following it looked odds on Campbell taking the lead but challenged by Adams, who back heeled the ball, and upset the Sunderland centre at the same time gave Hillman relief, and within a few seconds Stewart put in a fine dropping shot which, called forDoig's best efforts to clear. A couple of shots from Gillespie which gave the home custodian but little trouble, were the concluding items of the first portion of play, and wends were changed without any thing having been scored. On resuming the Sunderlands forwards got off, a great stride, and a shot from Campbell all but took effect, as it glided over the line from the upright but on the burly custodian kicking out from goal the home left made the running, and a long shot from Milward just required a little carl to carry it into the net. Immediately afterwards Boyle fouled Campbell when close in, and how the ball reached the net without touching any of the players who simply blocked the goal was marvellous. Rain now poured down in torrents, but it had no effect whatever, on play pr players, and the pace, if anything was hotter than at any other point Of the game. Hannah and Scott had the better of Goldie, but failed against Adams, and on Goldie a little later sending across to Chadwick the last named player just missed the mark by the nearest shave. A miskick by Adams looked ominous, and following a severe pressure Sunderland took a couple of fruitless corners. The ball was quickly at the other end, and Bell drove in a splendid oblique shot, which screwed of Doigs hands into the net as Milward rushed up to put on the finishing touches. This success seemed to infuse new life into both teams in a determined fashion but if anything the home forwards maintained a lead and shots by Boyle, Bell, and Chadwick were raised in upon Doig, who, however, was in splendid form. The closing stages were in favour of Everton, but no further scoring took place and Everton won a hard game end ended in favour of Everton by 1 goal to nil.



November 18 1895.

No details



November 25 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League engagement between these teams was played at West Bromwich on Saturday last. There were a couple of alterations in the home team while Everton was represented by the same eleven that did so well against Sunderland on the previous Saturday. There was a high visit blowing obliquetly across the ground, and Bassett was fortunate in having first choice of ends. The home right at once forced the play, and a fruitless corner followed, when Richards dashed down the centre and appeared to save the goal, at his mercy, but shot miserasblly. Hands against T.Perry gave Adams a chance to place his men ahead, and after some skirmishing in the neighborhood of the Albion got Boyle headed over the bar. Chadwick then forced a corner, and the succeeding play for some minutes was strongly sustained by the Everton forwards. Williams by means of several heavy lunges eventually clear his lines. A spirit down the wing between Arridge and Bassatt was the next item, and the Evertonians having the venue lobbed the ball nicely to steward, who in turn put Milward and Chadwick in possession and Humpage was called upon. A fine bit of play between McLeod and Bassett called for Hillman's best effort, which resulted in a corner, followed by another from Stewart and then Higgins fastened on the ball and sent n a clinking low shot, which the Everton custodian got away in finished a style. Milward and Chadwick were again in evidence, and a couple of good shots were directed at Humpage. Horton was fortunate in charring down from Milward, and a moment later Chadwick skimmed the bar with a terrific fast shot. Long kicking from wing to wing by the Albion forwards gave considerable trouble to Everton's defenders and several of these passages all but led up to a successful finish. Adams robbed McLeod at a time when scoring seemed certain, and then a long dropping shot spurred on by the wind caused Hillman's to tip the ball over the bar. The Albion were having much the better of the game at this juncture, but when close upon the interval the Blues raced away, and after Chadwick and Milward had attempts to score, the ball finally rebouned from Himpage to Hartley, who promptly put it into the net. Half time Everton 1 goal Albion nil.

Getting to work again the home right settled down to some excellent work, Goldie cleared from a corner kick, and then Stewart gave the ball to Chadwick, who had the better of Horton and sent in a shot, which Humpage only partially cleared with the result that Milward tipped the ball into the corner of the net. On resuming Bell put in good work on the right and often had the better of Banks and Williams while Hartley was often prominent in the centre. On the other side Bassett and Richards had apparent chances but Adams and Arridges gave no quarter. Numerous free kicks against the home side. Frequently threatened disaster and eventually McInnes met a return from Humpage and scored the third. The second, nothing further was done, and Everton won a fair game by 3 goals to nil.

Teams: - Everton: Hillman, goal, Adams, and Arridge backs, Goldie, Boyle (captain), and Stewart, halfbacks, Bell, McInnes, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Humpage, goal, Horton, and Williams, backs, Perry (t), Higgins, and Banks, halfbacks, Bassett, Mcleod, Richards, Kelsey, and Fellows, forwards.



November 25 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

This friendly game was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, before a good attendance. The home forwards made the running early on, Reay and Flewitt being conspicuous workers, and Baddleley the Burslem custodian was called upon the latter who sent in a fine shot. For some time the Vale defenders were kept busy, Reay Latta and Flewitt sharing the attack. A rush to the other end resulted in a rebound from the crossbar. A fine passing movement brought hostilities once again in proximity to the visitors goal, but final efforts were faulty and following another break away Evans put the ball pass Cook, and scored the first point in the game. Determined efforts to equalize were all to no purpose owing to indifferent shooting and eventually Beckett added a second point for his side. Following the reverse the home forwards swarmed round the Vale goal, and after several attempts to score, Scholfield put on a goal, which was supplemented by another from Flewitt just on half time. On restarting the visitors again took the lead, but not for long, as Williams again pulled up level, and as no other points were obtained, a drawn game of three goals each. Everton: - Cook, goal Parry and Storrier, backs, Kelso, Meiklejohn and Elliott, halfbacks Reay, Flewitt, Chadwick (j), Williams, and Scholfield, forwards.



November 25 1895. The Liverpool Mercury

Following upon recent performance, it was only to be expected that the visit of the Evertonians to the midlands would be productive of a couple of points though, few were prepared for so pronounced a victory as three to none. A strong oblique wind robbed the game of much of its attractiveness and it could not by any stretch of imagination be voked a high class contest. At the outset the Albion with the assistance of the wing swing the ball about in somewhat aimless fashion, and trusted almost solely to rushing tactics, and on several occasions their were little short of the mark while the Everton forwards. Who, to carry out their method of play, which was so strikingly successful against Sunderland, had perforce to close in, leaving one side of the playing portion open to occasional rushes by West Bromwich, and several of these spurts were often little short of attenting tangible results. In the first 20 minutes, consequent upon long swinging passes and Smart rushing up, the home forwards had practically no opposition on at least two occasions, but could not put the ball in the right direction. In addition numerous shots from long range were driven to the Everton custodian, and assisted as they were by a strong wind. It was simply marvellous how they were kept out. The first half was unquestionably in favour of the home side, but they had their chances and would not accept them, and herein lay the difference of merit, between the teams. The Evertonians had none too much of the play, but when it came to precise attack they very rarely failed to exact the utmost from every opportunity that came their way. There were several striking demonstrations of their eager, nippy play which, the spectators did not fall to appreciate, and it was by thus leaving nothing to chance that they solely earned their victory. Strange to state, all three goals were scored from rebounds, and there were many who favoured the idea that a reversal of goalkeepers would have led to a reversal of result. However, on the play there could be no two opinions as to which, was the cleavers teams, and Everton's victory even at West Bromwich was a poplar one. Considering the unfavourable conditions under which, the game was played, the Everton front line left little to be desired. By keeping the ball fairly low, and with the West Bromwich team extended, there were often pretty interlacing movements with progess in addition, which kept the enthusiasm of the crowd going, and in this particular style of play the inside men were very successful. Hartley did some smart things in the centre, and was never far off when the ball was anywhere near goal. It was his close attention to work that brought about the first taste of victory, after which the team never looked behind them. McInnes was as consistent a worker as any on the field, and though Bell was not at his best there was little fault to find with the right wing. Milward and Chadwick often made the running, but T.Perry, the opposing half backs who was not at all particular in his methods considerably hampered both. Goldie, Boyle and Stewart were a powerful trio. The first named tackled and staved off rushes in splendid fashion, and if he could but cultivate more accuracy in placing the ball to his wing there would be few to give him a start in his position. Boyle played a thoroughly steady game and gave the Albion inside man considerable trouble, while the manner in which, Stewart and Arridge engineered the home right wing was a treat. Bassett and Mcleod are no novices either in peed or resource; but whatever combination this pair attempts it was generally very short lived, for with Stewart playing on the inside man while Arridge attended in a most effective manner to Bassett, West Bromwich could scarely expect to make headway in this direction. The latter pair had several sprints and it was only on an odd occasions that the Evertonians was beaten. Adams also played a sterling game, and Hillman came though a heavy afternoon's work with district credit. The home forwards were fitful, and there was little attempts made to make the work general. Almost the whole of the play devolved upon their right wing, while the left for the greater portion of the game was left to make their own play. Bassett was very clever at times. He put in many fine centres, and several of his shots would easily have beaten a less resourceful goalkeeper than Hillman, McLeod worked hard but lacked finished, and Richards in the centre did fairly well though he lost a good chance of taking the lead in the early stages of play. Fellows and Kelso had charge of the left wing, and when they got fairly going it took Goldie and Allan's all their time to attend to them. However, there was little harmony along the line, and it was in this respect that contrast with the opposing van was so marked. Higgins played a fine centre half game as no doubt the Everton inside men will testify, and whatever good work T.Perry contributed in the early portion of the game, it was very much tarnished later on by his way questionable attentions to Milward. Banks did very well against Bell and Mcinnes, and he with Higgins often led up to heavy pressure on Everton's goal. Horton and Williams kicked powerfully and on the whole did very well though their work was nothing like as clean and effective as that of Arridge and Adams. Humpage kept out some very clever shots. He was quite an adept in meeting the ball even from a difficult angle, but unlike Hillman he failed, or rather only partially cleared and against a smart set of forwards he would prove a costly custodian. The continued success of Everton especially away from home, have made them strong favourities for First league honours and the directors and distinctly fortunate that they now have a most capable man in every position. Nine points out of a possible ten scoring 10 goals to 1, with three games played away is exceptionally fine work and in view of any contemplated changes in the front rank it would be well for the managers of the club to leave well alone.