April 1897


April 5 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League engagement between those clubs was played at Deepdale on Saturday. The weather was bitterly cold, and at the commencement of play there would be scarily 2,000 spectators present. Owing to Internationals demands upon the Everton club the front line with one exception was represented by the combination forwards, and at halfback, both Holt and Stewart dropped out. North End were short of Stevenson, Pratt, and Orr, and when the sides turned out they arranged as follows: - Everton: - Menham goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Meiklejohn, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Maley, Cameron, Campbell, and Banks, forwards. Preston North End: - Trainor, goal, Holmes, and Dunn, backs, Blythe, Grier, and Sanders, halfbacks, Smith, Eccleston, Brown, Boyd, and Henderson, forwards. North End started, and within a couple of minutes both ends had been subjected to pressure. Storrier pulled up Smith, who looked like getting though, and then followed some rather tame play about midfield. The Everton forwards were rather faulty in finishing touches, and after Smith and Eccleston had made the running on the North End right Holmes placed the ball well from a free kick and Henderson scored, this success coming after ten minutes play. Getting to work again Boyd and Henderson gave considerable trouble to the Everton defenders, but eventually Taylor made off, and sent in a splendid shot, which Trainor kept out at the expense of a corner. Shortly afterwards Campbell appeared to have the goal at his mercy, but like the others, his shot lacked sting. Then Cameron headed in from a corner kick, the ball rebounded from the crossbar, and from a clearance Brown led on a movement to the other en. Eccleston appeared to have a clear course, when Storrier jumped at him and was duly penalised, Saunders took the free kick, and drove hard in, the ball gliding off Menham into the net. Nothing further was scored up to the interval, when North End led by two goals to nil. Immediately after the resumption the Everton forwards ran nicely down, and Campbell sent in an oblique shot, out of Trainor's reach. The interest livened up considerably, and there was signs of a class finish as the visiting forwards combined well, and were often in good position. A fine spurt by the North End left troubled Meechan, and after a free kick had been awarded, Sanders repeated his previous performance by scoring off the Everton right back. Only a few minutes had elsaped when smith made off and on Brown and Boyd supplementing the movement, Henderson with an overhead kick scored a fourth goal. Everton then settled down to hard work, and Trainor had several shots to deal with, but the majority of them were tame, and caused little trouble. Towards the close the play was very moderate, and when the end came Preston were victors by 4 goals to 1.



April 5 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Parrk. During the first fifteen minutes the game was of a even nature, and then Elliott opened the score for Everton, goals also coming from Nolyneux and Nash. A few minutes before half time, Robinson the Crewe goalkeeper saved a Penalty kick in splendid manner. In the second half Nash scored for Everton, who played a much better game. Everton: - Palmer, goal, Balmer (w), and Barker (g), backs, Henderson, Molyneux and Hughes, halfbacks, Williams, Nash Not Known and Elliott (captain), forwards.



April 6 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The return Combination match was played at Wrexham Racecourse yesterday afternoon. There was a very good attendance, and a grand game was witnessed. The play throughout was fast and interesting, both goals being visited in quick succession. No goals scored in the first portion of the game, but after the second half had been in progess about half an hour Banks scored for Everton. Wrexham played up strongly, but failed to break through their opponents defence, and the final result was in favour of Everton by a goal to nil. Everton: - Palmer, goal, Balmer (w), and Barker, backs, Nash, Nmeiklejohn, and Hughes halfbacks, Williams, Maley, Banks, Campbell, and Elliott (captain), forwards.



April 8, 1897. The Courier & Argus

It has just transpired that Hillman, the popular Dundee goalkeeper, is at present being very strongly urged to withdraw his services from the Dundee F.C. next season. It is understood that Everton (his former club) is very anxious to again secure his services, and it is also within the mark to state two leading Western clubs are offering every inducement to take him. It is known that he is being offered higher wages than Dundee will give, and also payment down of a sum running into three figures if he will sign. The Directors of the Dundee Company are alive to the situation, and the result of their present negotiations with Hillman are being eagerly awaited. It may be taken for granted that it will now soon be known –off or on –whether or not Dundee is next season to have the finest goalkeeper in Scotland.

April 10 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
Fa Cup Final
The central parts of London were literally alive with provincials from an early hour on Saturday. As the heavily laden excursion trains arrived at the different terminals in the Metropolis, the almost seem to swarm more and more with visitors from the country, and by nine o'clock hosts of familiar Liverpool faces were visible in the Strand and other noted metropolitan thoroughfares. Liverpool apparently supplied an even bigger contingent of spectators than the nearer city of Birmingham. Then railway companies made elaborate arrangements for the conveyance of people from Liverpool and Lime Street presented an extraordinary spectacle. By ten o'clock the inlet to Crystal Palace had fairly began, special trains departed from the Victoria and other stations as frequent intervals, but the crowds were too vast at first to be subsequently coped with. And several blocks occurred. At midday at least twenty thousand persons must have congregated in the Palace ground and increased at an emirates rate. The supporters of the clubs freely sported their respected colours, and whenever opposing parties met noisy but in good manner. Both times arrived at Crystal Palace at three o'clock, and immediately made for the dressing rooms, which by the way were splendidly appointed. Each of the players had a room and a bath to himself. They quickly dressed and proposed themselves for the fray, and at ten minutes to four a tremendous shout vent the air as Stewart stepped on to the field and led his companions to the arena. The Villa players were somewhat later in arriving, but another enthusiastic cheer greeted them when they made their apperenance. No more was lost in adjusting preliminaries, and the players faced in the following order: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Meechan backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Aston Villa: - Whitehouse, goal, Evans, and Spencer, backs, Crabtree, Jas Cowan, and Reynolds, halfbacks, Cowan, Weldon, Campbell, Devey (captain), and Athersmith, forwards. Referee J.Lewis, Messrs J. Nowetch of Redcar, and A. Scagg of Crewe. A strong wind was blowing from goal to goal, and Devey winning the toss, won for his side this tangible advantage. Two minutes to four o'clock Hartley set the ball in motion, and some vigorous play by Milward and Chadwick carried play into the Villa's quarters, Spencer brought relief, and the ball was rapidly transferred to the Everton and when Storrier effected a clearance with a free kick in a twinking the ball was carried to the Villa half again but Evans proved a great stumbling block, and for a few moments the play raised with the Villa forwards. At this stage the hearts of the Everton supporters went into their mouths, in consequence of Athersmith kicking Holt, and the little centre half dropping heavily on the field. A brief stoppage was therefore made, but amidst cheers, Holt was able to resume. Give and take play followed, neither side claiming any decisive advantage until Athersmith using his speed with fine effort, centred across to the opposite wing, when John Cowan was robbed by the united vigilance of Stewart and Meecha.n So far the Everton defence had not coped very successfully with the Villa attack, and when at last the Birmingham contingent were awarded a foul close to the goalmouth and from the free kick was grandly placed by Spencer, it seemed certain to be headed through Meechan and Storrier however, between them cleared partially, and with a tricky pass to Chadwick, Hartley removed danger. The Villa halves were playing a magnificent game Reynolds in particularly playing finely. Hartley at last effected a diversion and was getting nicely away in the direction of Whitehouse, when he was tripped by Cowan. Stewart placed the free kick correctly, but the Villa than packed their goal and the danger was thus averted. The Everton men were now showing far better combination then at any period of the game. They ran and combined smartly, and the result was that both Whitehouse and the backs were troubled. Still they could not get in anything like a decent shot, and the Villa forwards resumed the aggressive. An unfortunate shakiness in the Everton defence was now obserable, and the Villa men were not long in taking the advantage of it. Athersmith steadied himself as if for a shot, but decided to pass to Devey, who with a long oblique shot scored the first goal for the Villa, the ball just passing inside the post out of the reach of Menham. This success coming after sixteen minutes play was naturally cheered. The Everton right wing initiated a pretty forward movement, and Hartley on getting possession passed to Milward who dashed right pass the backs and was getting ready to shoot with the whistle was blown for offside. Again the Villa right wing retaliated, but Athersmith was now being too well watched to be so dangerous as before. At last the Everton forwards were rewarded with the anxiously desired equalising point. Half an hour from the start the Everton right wing together with the centre dashed the ball along, Bell using his speed to splendid effect got past the Villa backs almost before they knew where they were. Whitehouse seeing agoal inevitable ran out, but justy before he could reach the ball, Bell with fine judgement tipped it pass him and then having nobody to face easily put the ball into the bet the success being greeted with vociferous cheering. Everton now had decidedly the best of matters as their success seemed to infuse new life into them. Only a few minutes later Hartley got nicely away and passed over to the right wing Taylor then shooting high over the bar. At the same time a foul was awarded against one of the Villa men, the ball was scrimmage into the net, thus giving Everton the lead. Nothing daunted by their reverse, the Villa pressed hotly, and Storrier was so hard put to it that he had to concede a corner. This led to nothing tangible, but from a free kick shortly afterwards awarded against Taylor, John Cowan with a quick shot from short range equalised. The game now was far more evenly contested, both sides of singularly level terms. The backs on both side could not be passed, but once as the Everton right wing seemed to be getting dangerous, a free kick spoiled the effort Storrier conceded a corner in attempting to head the ball away, and though Menham first cleverly cleared the ball, it was quickly returned into the goalmouth and Wheldon headed it into the net, thus giving Villa the lead once more, the score being three to two in their favour. The game was certainly very stubbornly contested and it would be difficult at this stage to say that either team was superior to the other. Play was in the centre of the field when the whistle sounded for the interval. Half time result Aston Villa 3 goals Everton 2.

Although Everton had every advantage of the wind it unfortunately seemed to be abated considerably. The game scarily been resumed when a remendous rush was made by the Everton left wing resulting in Milward centring right across the goalmouth, Spencer vigilance averting what appeared to be something like a disaster. Milward was again prominent, Spencer fouling him. From a free kick a tremendous attack was made upon Whitehouse, and the Everton men was certainly unfortunately in not scoring. The climax came when Hartley shot swiftly in, Whitehouse fisting out, luckily putting the ball over the bar. Chadwick, but the whole of the Villa men were packed in the goal accurately placed the corner, and the Everton forwards could not find a space to get through. After this magnificent burst on the part of the men from Liverpool, the Villa thought it time to take up the running, and Storrier was hard pressed, but came out of the ordeal all right. Bell now made a capital effort to thread his way past his opponents, but was foiled at the finish. Some fine play from Chadwick concluded in the ball being crossed to Taylor, who returned it to the opposite wing, and an open goal was visible when Spencer robbed Everton of what looked like the certainly of an equalising point. The Villa men seemed unable to get going as in the first half, the Everton halfbacks coping with them much more successfully. The Sun now shone brilliantly and bothered the Evertonians in their efforts as it was right in their faces. Bell got clean away, and was preparing to centre when Spencer tripped him badly, and from the free kick the ball was sent beautifully into goal. It was then headed an inch or two over the bar. The Villa forwards at last gave their opponents a taste of their mettle their passing being perfect and their shooting deadly. Menham twice saved in the coolest And nearest fashion, whilst Storrier and Meechan did yeoman service. Bell at the stage worked himself into a capital position, Reynold at the crucial moment handing the ball, Everton falling to make satisfactory use of the free kick. Bell executed a nice dribble and was in the act of taking his shot when his feet were knocked from under him. The Villa replied, and after a series of pretty passes the ball was headed the wrong side of the post, where the latter gained a corner, which was not improved although it was well taken. A grand rush on the part of Chadwick, Hartley and Bell made the Villa partisans look exceedingly glum, but just when the final touch was necessary for the equalising goal Spencer stopped them and saved an apparently certain goal. The Liverpoolians showed tremendous and praiseworthy determination although they were still in a minority. Meechan added to the other good points a great inclination to score goals. He grandly tricked a couple of men and finished up with a lighting shot which would have put the team on even terms had it only been a few inches lower. For some time afterwards the Villa spasmodically pressed, and whenever, they get within range they shot at goal, but were not accurate. As the end approached the Everton men played splendidly and raised the crowd to a tremendous pitch of excitement by their grand efforts to equalised. Chadwick put in a fine ground shot, and Taylor followed this up with another shot, which Whitehouse saved just on the line. It was a magnificent finish, and no body would have grumbled had Everton's gallant efforts to equalise been rewarded. The match was admitted to be the best final; tie ever played in the English Cup competition, it must be confessed that the Villa were slightly superior in the first half, and possibly deserved the advantage of a goal. At the same time the magnificent fashion in which Everton forwards backed to their work after being twice in the rare was heartily recognised by the crowd. While the Villa forwards exhibition clockwork like combination great individual dash were observed in the Everton front rank.

Devey Scores the winner


April 10 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

This friendly fixture was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, in fine weather. Earlestown won the toss, Banks kicked off before a meagre attendance. In the first minute Everton scored, and soon afterwards Cameron placed his side further ahead, the Earlestown custodian making, a deter effort to clear. Give and take was the rule for a time, but the game eventually livened up, Banks sending in a splendid shot, which went right into the corner of the net. A couple of corners fell to Everton, the ball eventually being sent behind. Earlestown by good forward play brought the ball into the vicinity of Palmer, who threw himself on the ground, but failed to reach a good shot. Following this Everton pressed, and were award a penalty kick, Banks sending the ball into the net with great rapidity. Cameron got a grand pass from Maley, and working the ball into the centre shot in, the ball just gliding into the net underneath the crossbar. Final result Everton 6 Earsletown 1.



April 13 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Mixed teams of the clubs met at Burnden Park, before a small gate in wet weather last evening for the benefit of Cassidy the veteran Bolton forward. Gilligan scored for the Wanderers, at the start, and after good combination by the home team, who had all the play, Miller added a second and four more were obtained before the interval, when Wanderers led by 6 goals to nil. Everton improved, but the Wanderers ultimately won by 8 goals to nil.



April 17 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton played their league fixture with Derby County yesterday, at Goodison Park, in grand weather, there being fully 25,000 spectators on the ground. The home team placed in the field the players who figured in the final against Aston Villa. Derby County utlised their full force, Leiper making his first appearance since the semi final against Everton at Stoke. The teams were- Everton: - Meham, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain) halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Derby County: - Robinson, goal, Methven, and Leiper, backs, Cox Goodall (a) and Stacey halfbacks, Goodall (j), Bloomer, Millar, Fisher, and McQueen, forwards. Referee Mr., Rollins. Walsall. Derby Kick off, and in the first few moments Archie Goodall struck the post, the ball going outside. The kick out from goal quickly found the Evertonians at the other end a free kick however, ensuing in being avail. Central play followed Chadwick and Milward showing up prominently. Next a neat movement by the front rank ended in Hartley forwarding a beautiful shot to Robinson, the International saving at the expense of a corner. Directly afterwards Chadwick seemed certain to score but Robinson caught the ball and effected a clearance. Menham was then troubled, but without effect. Goodall a moment later caused anxiety to the Everton defenders, by tracking Storrier and forcing a corner kick, but this was place outside. Milward dashing away Methven outwitted him, and sent back to midfield caused a diversion. J.Goodall was again the centre of attraction by a tricky run, but on getting in the centre, Meechan met the ball, and effectual cleared. A free kick against Holt, jeopardised the home goal, Fisher sending over the line. Everton now took up the pressure through Taylor and Bell, and a corner followed Chadwick with an overhead shot finding the wrong side of the upright. End to end play followed, and there was little to choose between the teams, the County however, playing up remarkably well against the powerful defence, Storrier took a free kick, and a second almost immediately followed, Milward making averted attempt to score, the ball striking the crossbar, and going out of play. His hard luck was atoned for the next minute however, Robinson running out of goal and being defeated by the Evertonian rather more than 20 minutes having elapsed from the start of the game. Endervouing to force an opening, the Derby forwards led by Goodall went rapidly away, Bloomer being pulled up for offside. The free kick was signal for an attack on the Derby goal. Chadwick shooting low and accurately and Robinson effecting a marvelous save at full length. Taylor shot over from a resulting corner, but the ‘‘blues'' was quickly back again, a cessation of hostilities being stop owing to an injury to Staley. On resuming Fisher did some clever work, and a goalkick accursed to Everton. This led up to further onslaughts on the Derby goal, Boyle and Holt being conspicuous, the former testing Robinson, his efforts taxed to the utmost. The ball was fisted out of goal, but to no great distance and the home forwards were quickly back again, Milward sending in and Robinson cleverly saving, when it seemed odds on the Evertonians scoring. Still keeping up the pressure, the ‘'Blues'' made matters particularly hard for the County defenders, Hartley in one instance making a beautiful run and shot. The distance however was too far, and Robinson had little difficulty in clearing. A raid on the Everton goal, Storrier bringing relief, followed a temporary stoppage owing to McQueen being hurt. On returning to the attack, Fisher sent wide of the upright. At the period Derby were playing in most spirited style, and for some moments the Everton goal was hotly attacked. Relief came through Storrier and at the other end Hartley had a magnificent shot which was going straight to the mark when charged down. Robinson was subject to further trouble shortly afterwards from Chadwick but no flaw could be found in his defence. Attacking persistently the Evertonians worked exceedingly hard for a second point, and at length this was forthcoming. Stewart sent in a clever shot from long range, the ball striking the bar, and dropping vertically, Robinson seemed unable to recover himself and in an instant Chadwick was up and breasted the ball through goal. The interval arrived a minute later, with Everton leading by two goals to nil. On restarting Bell ran the ball nicely down, and rounding Staley and Leiper, centred splendidly to Hartley, who took the pass accurately and scored within a minute from the resumption. Almost immediately following the Everton forwards were again dangerous, and when Taylor had practically an open course Leiper fortunately slipped up and charged down an amost certain goal. Then Chadwick followed with a fine shot, which found the net, but a plea for previously impeding the keeper was sustained and the point was disallowed. A couple of splendid shots from Hartley put the crowd in good terms with themselves, and thus encouraged, the Evertonians had unmistakably the best of the play at this juncture. Retaliating the Derby left were busty, and McQueen called upon Menham who saved nicely, but the incursion of the Derby forwards was but of a temporary character, for within the next few minutes both Taylor and Hartley levelled shots which were just slightly lacking in elevation. The Everton halves were now playing magnificently, and their forwards were given every support. Eventually the Derby forwards made off, and twice appeared to have an open goal, when Storrier stepped into the breach and cleared powerfully. There was, however, no mistaking the earnestness of the Evertonians as they made for goal, and nothing bar, the fine defence of the Derby backs, and custodian could have kept them from further adding to their score. A shot from hartley after some fine play of the part of Holt, was charged down by Methven, and then following a fine concerted movement by the County forwards. Bloomer was reaching dangerous quarters when Storrier tackled him unfairly and them the free kick Miller, who had changed positions with Archie Goodall, piloted the ball into the net. Shortly afterwards Robinson effected brilliant save from Hartley, who shot strongly, when but a few yards from goal; but amends were made shortly afterwards by Bell, who threaded his way between the County defence and finished up with a shot that gave Robinson no earthly chance to save. Getting to work again Taylor completely defeated the County defenders and the keeper was admittedly fortunate ion meeting the ball and subsequently kicking it out. A corner kick almost directly afterwards was splendidly placed and Chadwick meeting it, scored a fifth goal. For the next few minutes the County were completely penned, and Robinson, and a very anxious time of it. He withstood the attack aply, and a sudden rush down, in which Fisher was a comspincious figure ended in that player heading to A.Goodall, who scored a rather simple goal. After this s8uccess the County forwards were busy but could exact little quarter from Storrier and Meechan, and then Hartley had the goal at his mercy when he unfortunately overran the ball, being but a few yards from Robinson. With the end approaching, the Everton forwards strove hard to put on a further point, but this was not forthcoming and the game ended a decisive victory for Everton by 5 goals to 2.



April 17 1897. The Liverpool mercury

At Buxton yesterday before 2,000 spectators play opened evenly, and continued for ten minutes. Ketchem, the Buxton custodian saved many shots, but Maley for Everton got through, and the rest of the half was splendidly contested. Everton led on resuming, but in three minutes Patitt beat Briggs and Equalised. On three district shady tactics were resorted to Everton offending twice and Buxton once. Mr. Earlam cautioned the offenders. The game was very rough towards the close. The result was a draw of 1 goal each. Everton: - Briggs, goal, Barker, and Molyneux, backs, Nash, Meiklejohn, and Robertson, halfbacks, Williams, Maley, Banks, Campbell, and Elliott (captain), forwards.



April 19 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The favourable weather on Saturday last prevented many from visiting to Goodison Park, as at the commencement of the game, they would not be more than 7,000 spectators present. With the exception namely Arridge in place of Storrier Everton were represented by the same team that did duty on Good Friday and the Albion side Bassett was the most notable absentee. At four o'clock the teams arranged as follows : - Everton: - Menham goal, Meechan, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Cave, and Williams, backs, Parry, McManus, and Banks, halfbacks, Watson, Flewitt, McLeod, Richards and Garfield, forwards. Everton were the first to be come dangerous and before a minute had expured Milward sent across the goalmouth, Hartley failed to reach the ball, but Bell was well up and thus early opened the account, Reader not having the slightest chance of saving the shot. Getting to work again, play was confined to the Albion half until Garfield with a fine sprint raced past Boyle, and put in a fine cross shot, which however, drifted over the line. From the goal kick the Everton forwards again took up the running and after a fine bit of work on the part of Taylor, the ball was transferred to Bell, who steadying himself, sent in a fine curling shot from 30 yards range, and completely defeated Reader, this second success coming after five minutes play. Almost immediately afterwards Hartley put in a splendid shot, which Reader just managed to reach, and an efforts by Stewart was not far out of its reckoning. The Albion forwards could not make the slightest impression on the home defenders, and once again the ball was bounding about the vicinity of Reader's charge. Several attempts to put through were luckily charged down, and then Taylor crossed over, and proucing upon the ball added a third goal. Play had no sooner been resumed than Boyle struck the bar, and following this the Albion were dangerous, as McLeod had apparently the goal at his mercy, after a fine run down by Flewitt and Watson. A magnificent run and shot by Taylor was the next item, but Reader was on the alert, and after several incursions Perry put in a long shot, with which, Menham was at fault, and the Ablion thus opened their account. Hartley then made off with a grand run and brilliant shot, to which Reader ably attended, and then the Everton goal was subjected to a heavy pressure. Menham effecting a double save from Perry and McLeod in quick succession. Taylor was next busy in the Albion custodian with several clever screws, all of which were ably dealt with, but retaliating Flewitt was only a few inches out of his reckoning. A steady movement to the other end left Milward in possession and shooting hard the ball glanced off the foot of Williams into the net, the outside man almost immediately afterwards missing a certain goal by overrunning the ball. A fine effort on the part of Flewitt reduced the margin, and when the interval arrived Everton were leading by four goals to two. On resuming the homeside had the better of the opening play and Taylor all but scored off Cave, who headed across his own goal. Flewitt was again a consoincious figure in the West Briomwich attack, and the movement ended in Mcleod putting the ball into the net. Menham making an attempt to save when too late. With their lead being gradually diminished the Everton forwards set to with a will, and for some time fairly penned their opponents. Hartley just failed to get at a grand centre by Chadwick, but after a couple of corner kicks had been taken, Bell put the ball though. Chadwick who after a second attempt defeated Reader supplemented this success shortly afterwards. Still the Albion were not yet done with, and many plucky efforts were put forward to reduce the margin, but to no avail and Everton won a fine game by 6 goals to 3.



April 19 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The brilliant performance of the Everton team on Good Friday, and Saturday set came somewhat as a revelation to many at Goodison Park. Most people imagined that after so great a season as the team has been lately subjected to coupled with the bitter experience at the Crystal Palace, they would Altogether fall to pieces, but this was far from being the case, and certainly the men never set about their work with greater avidity than they did in the two games under notice. The Derby County team were smarting under their cup tie reverse at Stoke had had therefore a great inceasive to sper them on to success. They played a clever game, but they found in the Everton rearguard a pair of defences that could scarely be surpassed in point of all round ability. Time after time in the first period the county forwards played all over a winning game, until it came to the final touch, then either Meechan of Storrier pulled them up with a cleverness that was thoroughly appreciated by the immense crowd. After repeated failure, the Derby men resorted to methods that had a tendency to subsequently disturb their hitherto steady balance, and from several of the free kicks recorded against them they had miraculous escapes. After Milward had eventually opened the scoring account there appeared to be but one team in it, and when the interval arrived with Everton leading by a couple of goals, was generally admitted that they had secured nothing more than their deserts. In the second half the Everton forwards forced the pace, and rarely indeed did the County players get within range of Menham. The Derby backs had a more anxious time than they probably have experience before this season, and when the end came none must have felt more relieved than the custodian, who though beaten five times, kept out numerous shots that none other than a keeper of far above the average ability could rescue. It was a game in which interest was maintained from the start to finish, for there was a wonderful development of the nicer points of play, which from a spectator's point of view was of course everything that could be desired. With one exception, and that exception is gradually becoming the rule, the Evertonians were a better-balanced lot. Their halfbacks were far more accurate than they were in the final tie and, as generally known, when they are at their best opponents may expect to meet with keen opposition. They found openings for their forwards in their accomplished style, and when themselves in difficulty passed and repassed the ball to one another with all the air of accomplished forwards. Holt was always on the alert, and met with good success while Stewart and Boyle, in addition to their general work in tackling the County forwards, and attending to their own van often tested Robinson with awkward shots. Of the forwards nothing but terms of commendation can be bestowed upon them. They were to a man keen on the ball, and their combination always effective, did much towards establishing the game as one of the most interesting expontions seen on the Goodison road enclosure this season. Hartley engineered the wings splendidly, and the extent of the scoring gives a fair reflex of the general ability of the quintet. There were individual efforts, too that gave eclat to the proceedings, and none was more successful in this line than Bell, who is now generally looked upon as the most resourceful forwards in the country. In conjunction with Taylor, Everton had a most aggressive right wing, and the left was little if at all behind in point of excellent. With the Everton halves in good trim, it was only to be expected that the County forwards would be deprived of much of their effectiveness, and with the exception of a spell in the first half, they might scarely be said to have ever been allowed to get into one of their particularly dangerous strides. Bloomer was at in the semi final stages, firmly held in check by Stewart and consequently, the right wing, though contrary to anticipations gave little trouble while the left had perhaps a bigger share in the attack, and Fisher contributed as useful work as any in the line. Cox was the best of the trio, and Leiper, before his retirement did much to keep down the aggressiveness of this Everton van guard while Robinson in goal could not be blamed for any of the shots that defeated him. On the play, there could not be any two opinions as to which was the better team, and indeed, had the Everton goalkeeper been up to the Derby standard the charge of superiority would have been deservedly wide.

The return game with West Bromwich Albion scarely reached the standard of excellent of that on the previous day, but the result again served to demonstrate that the Everton team are at present in great form both fore and after. Particularly is this the case with the forwards, who have rarely been seen as such deadly marksmen and perhaps the most striking feature of the whole game was their exceptionally fine shooting. Throughout the whole 90 minutes of play there was scarely an indifference shot sent in the direction of the Albion goalkeeper, and in the particularly department Taylor must be awarded the palm. The visitors custodian was beaten on six occasions, but had he a greater adverse record against6 him none that the followed the game keenly could possibly have blamed him. He saved at times under the most unlooked for constricts, and certainly the onus of defeat did not rest on his shoulders. Though Taylor was particularly clever in shooting, none did better work than Bell, and Milward, who were slightly in advance of so exceptionally good lot of forwards. The inside right obtained three out of the six goals in his usual inimitable fashion, and though Hartley was deneied final success, he created openings in the field that had much to do with so pronounced a victory. As may be judged from the success of the forwards the half backs had a good time. They fairly revelled in work, and like the forwards, after the exacting demands made upon them on the previous day, their performance was all the more creditable. Storrier was given a rest and Arridge once again resumed his usual position. He with Meechan formed cool and resourceful defences. They ably coped with the best efforts of the Albion forwards. Menham however, scarely covered himself with credit, as two out of the three shots might have been saved. He was late in starting for them, and was consequently easily beaten. With regard to the Albion, it was fortunate for them that Reader in goal was at his very best, otherwise League records would have gone to the wall. Both Williams and Cane, the latter a reserve team player did all that was expected from them under such heavy pressure as they were subjected to, and of the half backs McManus stood out prominently as the best of the trio with Perry running him a close second. The forwards were very keen on the ball, and in this respect they more than once give their opponents a clear lead and against a weak defence would have scored heavily. They were always dangerous with their strong rushes and none was more so than the Ex-Evertonian Flewitt who with Watson formed a powerful right wing. Eleven goals to two successive days in a fine perforcement for the Everton forwards, and it is hoped that this form will be maintained in the two remaining League game with derby County and Bury. Should this be forthcoming, they will in great measure atone for the loss of those valuable points during the preparatory stage of the English Cup competition.

The Everton Club have a busy week in view, as after the match with Liverpool this afternoon they oppose Derby County on Tuesday in the return League engagement at derby and entering on a tour, play the Reading and Tottenham Hotspur Clubs, returning to compete their final League engagement against Bury at Goodison Park on Saturday next.



April 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton engaged with Liverpool in a friendly yesterday afternoon at Goodison Park, this being the third meeting of the present seasons. More than ordinary interest was attended to the encounter, as Liverpool have never yet succeeded in lowering Everton's colours and it was confidently anticipated by many followers of the Anfield road contingent that they would, this time prove successful; while Everton, on the other hand were equally sangine that they would be able to maintain their unbeaten certificate. Consequently a large crowd of enthusiasts were present fully 16,000 putting at an appearance. At 2-30 the teams arranged as follows : - Everton: - Menham, goal, Meechan, and Barker, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Robertson halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Liverpool: - Storey, goal, Goldie, and Dunlop, backs, McCartney, Neill, and Cleghorn, halfbacks, Nicholls, McCowie, Allan Beckton, and Bradshaw, forwards. Liverpool opened the play, but the Everton forwards were the first to show attack, and after a few minutes Milward put the ball into the net, but the Evertonians was rightly adjudged offside. The Everton forwards for some time continued to hold the upper hand, but met in Dunlop and Goldie sound defenders, and after a protracted pressure Allan and Bradshaw broke away, and Michael put in a shot that was rather badly judge. Directly following Milward put in a good shot that brought Storer out of goal to save, and then followed a fine continued movement by the Everton forwards, which culminated in Taylor sending in a magnificent shot that was slightly lacking in elevation. Almost immediately afterwards Bell made a miserable attempt to score from long range, and then followed some fine work by the Everton right wing, the ball being put to Chadwick who sent in a grand shot, such Storer saved splendid a feat the latter repeated from a long range shot, by Robertson a minute later. At the other end Alan had a parentally an open goal, but was late in taking aim. The Liverpool defenders were then subjected to a severe to a severe pressure, but both Dunlop and Goldie came through successfully, and from a corner kick splendidly played by Taylor, Storrier brought off a fine save. The Liverpool forwards, ably fed by the halves were new playing a fine combined game, and a long spell of pressure ended in McCowie sending in a shot at short range with Menham cleverly got away. Immediately following Milward missed scoring in the simplest fashion when there was no one to face out the custodian and Allan was almost similarly at fault with a ridiculously high shot a moment later. The game was now more keenly contested than ever, and though the Liverpoolians were often in the Everton half, at was more by sheer determination than cleverness that they maintained the advantage. A fine rush down by the Everton left ended in Milward putting the ball through, preparatory to being unceremonious handled into the net, and a minute later the same player scored a second from a free kick against McCartney. Michael and McCowie then made a pretty run down the right, but could not do little or nothing against the last line of defence, and from one of the many checks, by Holt, Bell put into the goalmouth, and Hartley was a rifle wide with his heading. Then followed the most incisive attack as yet by the Liverpool forwards. After Becton, and Bradshaw completely outwitted the Everton defenders, and the wingers put in a fine shot that was ably dealt with by Meechan, and directly following Barker stepped across and kept out a second shot from the outside left. Not to be denied, the Liverpoolians again put on pressure and Bradshaw this time completely defeated Menham with a beautiful shot, this success being received with tremendous cheering. There was now on mistaking the earnestness of the Liverpoolians who thus encouraged bore down on the Everton defence in most dogged fashion and indeed, for some little time they were masters of the situration. Allen but the ball into the net, but having previously fouled Holt, the point was disallowed. Milward then made away, and when about to shoot was the victim of unfair tackling, but nothing came of the free kick, and shortly afterwards the interval was announced with Everton leading by two goals to nil. On resuming the Liverpool Forwards were the first to become dangerous, but finished up badly, and then Chadwick tested Storer with a splendid shot, which the custodian ounched away in fine style. Meanwhile Robertson had been putting in some fine halfbacks play, and kept the Everton left well employed, but to no purpose, as the Liverpool defenders were at this juncture in a particularly safe mood. Boyle levelled a splendid shot from long range and Storer kept it out in his usual accomplished style. Liverpool had now a chance of pulling up level, as a free kick was given against Holt for jumping at Allen when close in, but like previous chances this was badly utlising. Bradshaw was putting forwards strenuous efforts to force the play, and was ably backed up by Cleghorn, but against the Everton defence he could make but little impression. McCartney was hereabout putting in some splendid work against Chadwick and Milward and Indeed the Evertonian were more than a little behind their opponents in operation of play. A sudden breakaway in which, Bell was a prominent figure ended in Chadwick shooting wide, following which Neill was conspicuous in checking many fine onslaught by the Everton forwards. Bell being his especial object of attention. Barker then saved an almost certain goal as McCowie was about to take aim from close quarters, and almost immediately afterwards a howl of disappointment went up as Chadwick just missed finding the Liverpool net by the merest shave. Everton had now unmistakably the best of the play and nothing but the fine defence offered by Storer, Dunlop, and Goldie could have prevented further scoring Bell only missed with a capital shot and Liverpool had a last chance offered them on Holt fouling. However Robertson cleared the danger, but returning again, Goldie compelled Menham to concede a corner, the shot having been levelled from almost halfway. Nothing came of the kick, afterwards time was announced leaving Everton victors by two goals to one.



April 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Bangor yesterday, and resulting in a victory for Everton by 2 goals to 1. Everton: - Palmer goal, Balmer (w) and Barkwer (g), backs, Nash, Meiklejon, and Hughes, halfbacks, Williams, Maley, Banks, Campbell, and Schofield, forwards.



April 21 1897. TheLiverpool Mercury

The Everton team accompanied by Messrs. Crawshaw, Bainbridge, and Moltneux, left the Central Station yesterday morning to fulfill their return League engagement with Derby County. It will be remembered that the Evertonians exacted full points from the County at Goodison Park on Good Friday by a margin of five goals to two, and as they had previously put an end to their cup hopes at Stoke, there was every prospect of the home players exerting themselves to the utmost in order to shoot the victorious career of their opponents. The afternoon was beautifully fine. In fact, the weather was more suited to the summer pastime and consequently there was a big muster of spectators on the Baseball Ground, there being about 6,000 persons when the game commenced. At three o'clock the sides turned out as follows: - Everton: -Menham, goal, Meechan, and Storrier backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart, (Captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Derby County: - Robinson, goal, Methven, and Staley, backs, Cox, Goodall (a), and Turner, halfbacks Goodall (j), Bloomer, Miller, Stevenson, and McQueen, forwards. Everton won the toss, and set the County to face a glaring sun. Immediately Milward raced down, and centred splendidly. Cox fell back to the rescue and then followed a fine movement by Stevenson and McQueen Miller putting in a shot that went a trift wide. The pace was particularly fast, and during the next few minutes the County defenders was often called upon, Staley especially filling Leiper's position in very able fashion. Then the Derby right-troubled Storrier, but he came through well and the Whole of the Everton forwards raced away in grand style. Hartley unfortunately finishing up with a weak shot, straight at Robinson, when only two or three yards from the goalmouth. Play was now unmistakably in favour of Everton, and but for some sterling play on the part of Cox, they must have scored. A sudden rush down ended in J.Goodall forcing a corner, but nothing resulted from a similar position at the other end Milward screwed grandly across the goalmouth. A most determined attack was now made upon the Everton goal, and a prolonged pressure, during which the ball was bobbing about in front of goal, was eventually relieved by Stewart, and on the County again returning Menham affected a very clever save under the bar from Bloomer. Bell next got away, and finished up with a magnificent oblique shot that rebounded from the crossbar. Several shots were than levelled at Robinson's charge to no purpose and the Derby defenders successfully coped with a trio of corner kicks. A foul against A.Goodall looked like Everton opening their account, but nothing came of the kick and at the other end Bell charged down a warm shot from a free kick against Holt. J.Goodall had now a fine chance but failed to take Miller's pass accurately, and Chadwick and Bell tested Robinson, both efforts being well attended to by the keeper, but the success looked certain a few moments later, as Hartley had practically an open goal from Taylor, but failed to get his foot to the ball. As half time approached the County forwards made determined efforts to take the lead, and Stewart Meechan and Storrier were kept busily employed. There was, however, no defeating the Everton defenders, and close on the interval Bell received the ball from Boyle, and wended his way between the County halves and Backs, but Hartley finsihed it badly. The Everton forwards again attacked, and from a free kick close in, well taken by Stewart the ball glanced off Cox, into the net. Half time was announced shortly afterwards, with Everton leading by a goal to nil. The second half opened tamely, and in favour of the County, who had now the assistance of the wind. A miskick by Storrier was followed by a free kick against Stewart and Menham was called upon to save. The Everton forwards now fairly swarmed round Robinson's charge and shot after shot was levelled in quick succession. One from Boyle was a splendid effort, and was saved in the custodian's best custodian's best fashion. Even play followed, and a few minutes after the Evertonians were singularly unfortunate in losing the service of Holt, and Chadwick, who left the field. Holt apparently suffering from an injury to his shoulder while Chadwick was the victim at a heavy charge. As was only to be expected the Derby players had now the greater share of the attack, far as Hartley had dropped back to half, and the Everton van reduced to three players, who under the exigencies of the situration did fairly well. After about a quarter of an hour's absence Holt returned, his reappearance being signalled by the ball being put into the County net by Milward, but the point was disallowed as Bell had previously impeded the goalkeeper. At the other and two warm shots in quick successions were splendidly kept out by Menham the Evertonians again returning to the attack, and Boyle from a free kick landed the ball into the net, it however, not having troubled a player in transit. Immediately afterwards Robinson saved in marvelous fashion. J.Goodall with Bloomer cut out the pace on the Derby right. A couple of fine chances were afforded the home forwards. Chadwick had now returned, but neither be nor Holt was at all comfortable. Further disaster in the way of injuries befell the Evertonians, as Bell was sandwiched by Robinson and Staley, after cleverly working his way to within a few yards of goal; but despite their misfortunate the Evertonian s continued to have measure of their opponents, and for a long period fairly established themselves in the County half. Then Bloomer broke his monotony with a fine run round Storrier and finished up with a splendid shot, when Menham cleverly dealt with the custodian a moment later keeping out a header from the corner of the net by J.Goodall. The Everton quintets, Chadwick having since his return fallen halfback. Played up splendidly and repeatedly Bell was only foiled at the last moment, when Methven and Staley were lucky in meeting his shots. Milward eventually put the ball into the net, but the referee disallowed the point for offside. The Derby men were now thoroughly a beaten team, and up to the finish the Everton forwards penned their opponents. Nothing further was scored, and the final stood-Everton 1 goal, Derby County nil. After the match the Everton players left Derby for London. Where they bring off friendly engagement s with Reading and Tottenham Hotspur.



April 22 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team, after their very fine performance against Derby County on Tuesday made the journey to London, Putting up at their old head quarters, the Tavistock Hotel. Unfortunately the players had a severe gruelling against the Peakies as Chadwick and Holt were the victims of rather heavy charging, and were unable to take their place in the team. Hartley had also a rest, so that the composition of the Everton team was of a mixed character. Robinson and Storrier was drafted into the forwards line and Shaw the Captain of the Marlow team who had previously assisted the Everton club some years ago on the ground at Anfield played as half back. The Reading was also not at its best as several regular players had been injured in late matches. ‘'Shortly ‘'after six o'clock the sides turned out before a rather limited number of spectators as Follows: - Everton: - Menham goal, Meechan, and Barker, backs, Boyle, Stewart (captain), and Shaw, halfbacks, Taylor, Storrier Banks Robertson, and Milward forwards, forwards. Reading: - Cannon, goal, Bach, and Cassidy, backs, Fitspatrick, Watts, and Mableson halfbacks, Stanley, Browett, Reid, Cunningham, and McHugh, forwards. Everton opened the play which, was of a rather tame description at the outset. A fine run down by Taylor ended in Banks shooting in the ball rebounding from the crossbar. A smart run down by the Reading left was well met by Meecham, and following a couple of further attacks by the Everton forwards, Taylor took aim and scored, after play had been in progess some ten minutes. After this reverse the Reading forwards out in some nicely combined movements, and as Meechan on one occasion missed his kick McHugh was enabled to test Menham with a shot that was directed straight at the custodian. A couple of corners followed to the home club, and from one Watts headed nicely to the net, only to find the ball cleared. Retaliating, Milward got away, and tricking the backs passed to Robertson who shot hard into the net. The Reading players were however, far from disheartened at this second reverse, and McHugh and Cunningham showing a good turn of speed, kept Meechan well employed, Browett, on the Reading right, was only slightly out of his reckoning with a fine shot. Following some fairly even play Taylor ran down and centred, Banks shooting in at the custodian, who saved, only to find Robertson in readiness and that player scored a third goal. Closely following the same player again found the net but was ruled offside, and then McHugh got away splendidly on the home left and finished up with a grand shot that compelled Menham to concede a corner. The Reading defence was then kept busy, but Bach and Cassidy did well, and the custodian also kept out shots that appeared certain top score. Nothing further was added up to half time, when Everton led by 3 goals to nil. On resuming the Reading forwards worked nicely down, but were weak with their finishing touches though one fine attempt by Mchugh gave Menham trouble. The Ball was shot into the net, but as the custodian had been impeded the point was disallowed. Banks led several dangerous rushes, which Milward supplemented, but at this juncture the home backs were playing a really defensive game. Eventually the Reading forwards got into a good stride, and a really splendid movement ending in McHugh scoring with a swift low shot. Banks headed into the Reading custodian's hands, and during the next few minutes Menham had a rather a busy time, as Read, McHugh, and Cunningham had shots from close range. They were all well saved, and then followed a long spin of fairly even play, that prevailed to the close when Everton won by 3 goals to nil.



April 23 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Following upon the victory over Reading on Wwednesday, the Everton team visited Tottenham yesterday, there being a fairly good attendance on the Northumberland Park ground to witness the game. Injuries and other causes compelled Messrs. Crawshaw, Bainbridge, and Molyneux, who were in charge to reorganise the Everton team and close upon six o'clock the sides turned out as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Meecham, and Storrier, backs, Holt, Stewart (captain), and Robertson, halfbacks, Boyle, Bell, Hartley, Banks, and Chadwick, forwards. Tottenham Hotspur: - Ambler, goal, Milligan and Montgomery, backs, Shepherd, Holland, and Crump, halfbacks, Lanham, Brown, Newbigging, Clements, and Edwards. Everton started, and the opening play, was slightly in their favour but there was little display to excite much interest in the early stages beyond a couple of well-diverted attempts to score by Bell and banks. The Hotspur defenders showed very good ability in keeping out the Everton forwards. Holland at centre half being very clever in foiling several good attempts to score. Eventually the Tottenham left got nicely away but the outside man was faulty with his final touch, and then followed a nicely combined movement by the Everton forwards which ended in Banks shooting hartd in at Ambler who fisted away in clever fashion. A couple of rushes on the Everton left well checked by Storrier and for some little time afterwards the Everton forwards, owing to the vigilance of Milligan and Montgomery that Hotspur back was frequently prevented from getting in a parting shot at the custodian. Eventually the Hotspur left got away, and as Menham and Storrier were both beaten Lanham had a fine chance to score, but was slow to take advantage of it. Shortly afterwards the home halfbacks made a couple of fine openings for the forwards, but they were not put to advantage and though Stewart was similarly busy in finding employment for his van they could do nothing with what appeared to be comparatively easy chances. Closely following Menham had a couple of shots to deal with, but neither presented much difficulty, and for some time the only decent attempt to score was made by Hartley, who, however, found the Hotspur custodian in good form. A corner kick followed, and after a couple of clearances by the backs, Bell centred well, and Hartley scored with a swift shot. Immediately afterwards Tottenham forced a corner which was placed, but a the same time the Everton backs were slow to clear, and Lanham put the ball into the net the score at half time being a goal each. The play in the first half was only a moderately attractive character, the players seeming to fully recognize that the fixture was but a holiday one. Of the two teams Everton were particularly inclined to take matters easily. On resuming the Everton forwards were fairly busy, but they failed to make any impression upon the home defence, and within a very few minutes the Everton defenders were overrun, and Menham was beaten by Newbigging who thus gave the local team the lead. For some time the play from an Evertonians point of view scarely reached a decent standard, and the exhibition of the ‘'blue and white'' as finalists, for the English Cup was certainly a disappointment to the people present. For a lengthy period the Hotspur forwards had a firm footing in the Everton half, and they maintained their advantage to the end the display of Everton being feeble in the extreme. Result Tottenham 2 goals Everton 1.


EVERTON 1 BURY 2 (Game 242)

April 26 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The last of the Everton League game was played at the Goodison road enclosure on Saturday, last before 10,000 spectators. The team was not of a representative characteristic, Holt, Chadwick, and Hartley stood down so as their prospects of victory were not of the brightest. The sides were as follows:- Everton: - Menham goal, Meechan, and Storrier,, backs, Stewart (captain), Boyle, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Cameron, Campbell, and Banks forwards. Bury: - Montgomery, goal, Darrock, and Davidson backs, Pray, Hendry, and Ross, halfbacks, Pangbourne, Settle, Millar, Henderson, and Plant forwards. Bell opened the play and at once tracks were made for the Bury goals, Banks finishing up with a shot that went wide of the mark. A run down the Bury left was ultimately checked by Menham, who saved well, and then Bell taking a pass from the Everton left, when the goal was absolutely at his mercy. A neat bit of work by Ross, who ably fed Plant, brought about a complete change, and on Henderson passing well across Pangbourne got the better of Stewart only to find storrier ready to intercept the pass, again the Everton forwards were busy in the Bury half, and Cameron levelled a fine shot which unfortunately was directed straight at Montgomery, the clearance putting the Bury van in possession, but Millar was very faulty with his final shot. Then Bell and Taylor broke away, and the inside man gave Banks a splendid chance to open the account, but it was badly taken, and on Darrach clearing the Bury left again took up the running. After several failures to get through, Settle shot hard in. menham kept the ball out splendidly but was not able to clear effectively, and Millar rushing up met the ball and planted it into the net. Within a couple of minutes two capital shots were sent in by Settle, and Millar, Menham attending to both in very able fashion, but at this juncture, there was no repressing the Bury forwards, who playing a vigorous game, were often in close proximity to the Everton goal. After Storrier had cleared from a free kick, Taylor raced nicely down, but was penalised for fouling Davidson, and the advantage was lost. However, Cameron got through the backs, and with a low shot tested Montgomery, who as before was on the alert but a few minutes later Bell took a pass from Taylor, and equalised the score. Getting to work again, the home forwards got into good position, and Cameron put the ball into the net, from a pass by Campbell, but having been in an offside position, the point was disallowed. There was now no mistaking the earnestness of the Everton forwards, who repeatedly attacked, and when a free kick was given against Darrock within the twelve yards line it looked odds on that Evertonians obtaining the lead. The backs however cleared, but directly afterwards Campbell had a fine chance to score, but shot badly. A sharp attack on the Everton goal was the next item, following which Banks from a difficult angle, made a capital attempt to score, Montgomery gathering the ball as it was about to screw into the net. Immediately afterwards Menham kept out a fine long shot from Plant, and on the latter making a further incursion, Meechan in the coolest possible manner tackled him, and the ball nicely down the field, this performance being greatly appreciated by the crowd. Nothing further was scored up to the change of ends, when the score stood one goal each. The second half opened with an attack of the Everton goal, but it was only of a temporary character, and Bell racing away, put in a capital shot, which was followed by Banks heading of the bar. Keeping up a pressure but Bury defenders had to put forth their best efforts to keep the Everton forwards out, and they got through their work with a great amount of success. Taylor failed to utilise a fine chance from bell, and after Cameron had also failed to take a couple of centre when in good positions, the Bury forwards gave Meechan and Storrier trouble, but this pair played up to their reputation, and cleared in a cool and effective manner. A long shot from Stewart almost found the net, and when again Banks, Taylor, and Bell had made further running the outside right give Cameron an easy chance to score, but the ball was driven high over the bar. Then Bell tried a long shot on his own account, which brought Montgomery to his knees, and following a further attempt by Boyle Plant got away and centred, and as Storrier justed failed to reach the ball Settle had a clear course, still drove it hard into the net. A splendid shit by Banks was charged down, and a few minutes later Cameron put in a magnificent rising shot, which struck the bar, and the custodian luckily effected a clearance. Taylor then shot into Montgomery's hands. Everton continued to have by far the better of the game, but found scoring a very difficult matter, and it was only on rare occasions during which Henderson was dangerous, that the Bury forwards were at all aggressive. Nothing further was done and Bury won a moderate game by two goals to one.



April 26 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

During the past week a heavy programme had been laid out for the Everton players, as no fewer than five games were down for decisions. Two of these were league contests, and one though of the ‘'friendlys'' class was in every suspect as exacting in characteristic. The teams commenced the week in most brilliant fashion, as they defeated their great rivals from Anfield road on Monday, thereby maintaining their unbeaten local record, and on Tuesday, having proceeded to derby, they for the third time this season succeeded in demonstrating their superiority over the Peakies. On Wednesday and Thursday the team were on tour in the South, and returned on Friday to close their League programme for the season by opposing Bury. The ‘'friendly'' with Liverpool was as is usually the case, well supported, but the nature of the play scarely reached the high standard of the League games between the clubs. One was inclined to the opinion that the Liverpoolians, having had a rest on the previous Friday and Saturday would have been able to turn the tables upon their hard worked rivals, but from the incidents of play this view was scarely ever likely to be realised. On the other hand, the Evertonians having laid a foundation in the first half eased up considerably, and indeed, had they been put strictly to the test, they might have won by a wider margin of goals. Defence onboth sides was all that could be desired, but in the forward line the combination of the Evertonians were superior hence the result in their favour. After three stern successive battles their prospects were none too bright on reaching Derby on Tuesday afternoon, and when having taken the lead, the team were subjected to rather vigorous charging by their opponents, which necessitated the suspension of Holt and Chadwick's services for some time it appeared almost certain that the County would equalised, if not pass their opponents. However, as is often the case, the depleted team played more strenuously than ever, and had they not been the victims of bad decision on the part of the referee the result would have been of a far more prounnced character than that of one goal to none. The ball was put into the net five times, and two disallowed goals were apparently legitimate in fact, one a beauty from Milward, was refused on the ground of obstructing the custodian, when such was certainly not the case. However, the team won but the same time, had victory been denied them, they would have been the victims of great injustice. In the best of spirits the party, under the charge of Messrs Crawshaw, Bainbridge, and Molyneux, entrained to London and having passed the night quienty proceeded to Reading on Wednesday, to give an exhibition game against the club of that town. Unfortunately, the harmony of the proceedings was disturbed in the matter of the composition of the team, and the dissatisfaction was plainly indicated all through the game. Perhaps it would be kinder to draw a veil over the game, and that against Tottenham on the following day, for neither of then in their display was worthy of the players themselves, and of the club they represented. Much a expected from clubs with such a prestige as Everton, and when struggling junior organisations go out of their way to dimished their exchequer, with the purpose of having a return in the shape of a class exposition for the benefit of their players, it is only fair to them that they should have full value. The display at Reading was very moderate and that at Tottenham simply unworthy of any club with a pretension at all to play the game, and the trip from a football point of view must be recorded as one of the black spots on the Everton record. From a social standpoint, the outing was a most pleasant one. The directors and secretary did all that was in their power to make the trip a pleasant one, and if any of the party failed to derive enjoyment they must have been hard to please.

Note, Chadwick played for England against Scotland, at Glasgow in front of 30,000 spectators, lost 3 goals to nil. On Saturday last.



April 30 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Liverpool Senior Cup Final

These combination rivals met at Goodison Park last evening in the final tie of the Liverpool Senior trophy, about 3,000 persons being presented. The teams had met twice previous this season. Two games (Combination), being drawn, and one won by Everton. During the first half, the home side had the wind in their favour, but Rock Ferry played in capital style, and had the bulk of the play. Half time arriving however, with any score. On resuming Williams after a fine individual effort, scored the first point for Everton, but Hyslop equalised from a free kick taken by Burlington, and before the close, A.Deighton got through again for Rock Ferry, who won cleverly by 2 goals to 1. Everton: - Palmer, goal, Balmer (w) and Barker, backs, Hughes, Meiklejohn, and Robertson, halfbacks, Williams, Maley, Chadwick (j), Campbell, and Elliott (j) (captain), forwards.




May 3 1897, The Liverpool Mercury

It is stated the Everton teams for next season are practically arranged, Mr. Clayton has returned from Scotland having secured nearly all the players of whom he had been in search, and at the present moment the following have been definitely signed on: - goalkeepers, McFarlane, Muir, backs Meechan' Storrier' McConnell (Glenback)' Barker' Balmer' half backs, Boyle, Holt' Stewart' Mckinley (Vale of Leven)' Gillan (Dumbarton)' Robertson' Hughes' forwards, Taylor' Hartley' Cameron' Chadwick (e)' Williams' Littlejohn (Vale of Leven)' Divers (Celtic); Chadwick (j) and Hendry (Dumbarton)' the engagement of one or two others forwards will shortly be announced, the new Scottish captures are regarded as of the highest importance, several other English clubs having made unsuccessful efforts to secure the same players


May 3 1897. The Liverpool Daily Post

We learn that Everton have signed McFarlane a goalkeeper for next season


MAY 10 1897,The Liverpool Mercury

R Menham the Everton football club goalkeeper has signed with the directors of the Springfield Athletic grounds company, Wigan for next season, other well known players are reported to have been engaged by the same company.


June 11, 1897. Edinburgh Evening News

President Baxter and vice President Clayton of the Everton Club at Glasgow last evening secured signatures of League forms of Gibson and Low of the Rangers, the noted internationalists. This is regarded a good stroke of business, it appears that J. bell is likely to assist Everton Club next season in important matches. Everton executive are doing their best to fix arrangements with the Kilmarnock club, which wishes £50 for the transfer of Muir, their goalkeeper. It is understood Everton will give this.


Edinburgh Evening News - Friday 11 June 1897

President Baxter and Vice-President Clayton of the Everton Football Club at Glasgow last evening secured signatures league forms of Gibson and Low of the Rangers, the noted Internationalists. This is regarded a good stroke of business. It appears that J. Bell is likely to assist club next season important matches. Everton executive arc doing their best to fix an arrangement with the Kilmarnock club, which wishes £50 for the transfer of Muir. Their goalkeeper it is understood Everton will give this.


July 12, 1897. Liverpool Mercury

Fire In Houghton-Street.

A fire within a small compass, but difficult to contend with and somewhat destructive, broke out shortly before twelve o'clock last night in the wholesale and retail sweet manufactory of Mr. Leonard Noblett, Houghton-street. The origin is unknown, and the damage very considerable. The building is divided by a partition wall into two sections, one being used as a retail shop and office, and the other as a warehouse, the upper apartments of the latter containing a quantity of machinery utilised in the manufacture of sweetmeats. The place was locked up in the ordinary way on Saturday evening, and nothing unusual occurred until about midnight last night, when a peculiar smell of burning caused the policeman on the beat to look about, with the result that he found the lower part of the warehouse portion of the building in flames. He speedily ran to Hatton-garden and gave the alarm, but ere the fire brigade, under Chief-Superintendent Willie and Deputy-Chief Thomas, reached the place, the inflammable contents of the building, consisting of large quantities of sweets, sugar, &c., had been licked up by the spreading flames until the shop from basement to roof was one blaze. For over an hour the brigade worked manfully to extinguish the outbreak, but the difficulties to contend against were extremely great, the sweetmeats on one hand burning almost with the intensity of oil, and the choking fumes on the other beating back the men from time to time. Considerable anxiety was felt for the Houghton Club, which on one side separated the fire from the Star Music Hall, and Devine's hotel on the other, but the brigade succeeded in confining the conflagration to its original limits. So fiercely did the place burn that despite the vast volume of water poured into it by means of five branches, the roof and floors speedily fell through with awful crashes, leaving only the outer walls standing. The brigade attacked the building from both front and back, because it was known that the partition wall only extended a certain distance, after which both sections of the edifice joined. The shop and office portion were at one time threatened with destruction but the firemen succeeded in preventing the outbreak spreading, and consequently the damage to that part was not very great. At half-past one o'clock this morning the fire was practically mastered but not extinguished.



May 31 1897. The Liverpool Daily Post

Arrangements were completed on Saturday for the transfer from Sheffield Wednesday to Everton of Lawrence Bell, the price paid is £200. Aston Villa wanted him, but were outbid. Bell who is twenty one years old ‘' brother of Jack Bell'' the famous Everton forward. He is a capable forward, and as a good shot, and has played for Scotland against Wales. Bell came to Sheffield from 3 Rd Lanarks two years ago.



June 12 1897. The Liverpool Daily Post

The annual meeting of the Everton Football Club Limited, was held last evening, in the Picton hall, Williams Brown Street. Dr. Baxter presided over a fairly large attendance, of shareholders and their were on the platform Messrs, Brooks, Bainbridge, Cuff, Crawshaw, Clayton, Davies, Kelly, Prescott, and Molyneux (Hon Secretary) and Messrs, Boater, and Sherlock, Messrs Theodore Rogers and co.

The report and balance sheet, which have already been pushlished were submitted to the meeting and adopted unanimously without discussion. On the motion of the chairman, a dividened of 5 per cent was declared, and Messr, Theodore Rogers and co, were re-selected auditors. Before the elected of directors to fill the three vacancies, a shareholder asked for a return of the attendance's of the directors during the last season. Mr.Molyneux said there had been 48 meetings of directors, Mr. Crawshaw has attended 48, Mr. Davies 47, Dr,Baxters 45, Mr.Kelly 45, Mr.Prescott 43, Mr.Clayton 39, Mr Cuff 35, Mr.Brooks 30, Mr.Bainbridge 28, and Mr.Latham attended 23 out of 34 meetings.

Mr. Wade (a shareholder) moved: - that three directors be choose from the board of directors to selected and look after the league and cup tie teams for the ensuing season's he did so because none of them were satisfied with the result of the league matches, one of their weakness was having to many directors to look after the cup and the league team for the ensuing season..Mr. J.Baxter supported the suggestion, he said that last trip to London was a disgrace, and brought discredit on the Everton Football Club. There was some reason for the strike of the players (Hear hear). The team was evidently badly managed, and the wrong men in charge of them. The general opinion was that the Everton Football Club players were the most gentlemanly and best-behaved body of the footballers that could be found, and there must be some reason for their strike at London. He deprecated that action which ensued Milward to have to play five matches, and to have only a few hours to get to Scotland, after being selected to represent his country in the International match. Milward's changes of securing a well-earned honour should have been facilitated. Mr.Clayton said he wished to stand up and speak for two of his colleagues in just as friendly a manner as the gentleman who had sat down, had criticised them. The speech of the gentleman he might had been made for want to know-ledge. Mr, Molyneux the secretary and Mr. Crawshaw and Mr, Bainbridge, two of the directors went to London along with the team, who played a series of matches. two of the players, struck or created a riot, but when he told them that these two players afterwards came of their own free will, before the whole body of directors, and apologised for what they had done. It would be seen that voluntary admission of error, completely exenterated the two gentlemen, who went with the team (applause and questions). There were present during the proceeding to which he referred three independent and impartial witnesses. The shareholders, know that whenever the press had an opportunity of stating the Everton Football Club, they had no failed to do it, but the three prem representatives who were present during the whole of the proceeding unanimously gave their verdicts as independent spectators that the players were entirely wrong and directors in the right (applause). A number of misconceptions had also risen reason's Milward having signed for a neighboring club, and engagement with New Brighton Club was outirely £5. The Everton directors offered him the princely terms they were giving others, but the neighboring club came and offered him £60 in cash additional the Everton Football Club does not give one penny as a bonous to an old player and therefore Milward had gone to New Brighton Club. Mr. Clayton also refereed to the finances, asserting that every penny taken in gate money or otherwise had been duly accounted for. Mr.Parter though, Milward must have had grounds for acting as he did.

The Chairman said that Milward admitted that he had no right to take the law into his own hands. He was selected to play at London, because they could not put eleven players on the field, owing to some of the team having got hurt. A shareholder though that some explanation ought to be given by the directors, who accompanied the team. Mr. Crawshaw rose with the intention of making a statement, but his reception by a section of the meeting being somewhat unfavorable, he resumed his siat. The chairman remarked that it was scarely fair, after having invited Mr.Crawshaw to speak not to listen to him (hear Hear). A shareholder said it was not necessary to hear Mr. Crawshaw it must not be supported that in any differences between the directors and the players, the directors must be wrong and the players right (loud appause).

The following were announced by Mr. Molyneux the names of the following players for next season, Goalkeepers, Macfarlane, Muir, Backs Meechan, Storrier, Barker, McConnell, and Blamer, Halfbacks, Boyle, Holt, Stewart, McKinley, Gilland, Robertson, Dougal, Dews, forwards. Taylor, Hartley, Chadwick (e), Lawrence Bell, Drivers, Williams, Cameron, Hartley, Littlejohn, Schofield, Chadwick (j), Elliott.



July 22 1897. The Daily Post.

Frank Briggs the Everton goalkeeper is appealing against the price, which Everton have placed against his transfer. Both Blackburn Rovers and Woolwich Arsenal level to secure his servies, the former were asked for £100 and the latter £90 for his transfer, which both both cases was though too high, which Everton brought him from Darwen for £50.