December 1896


December 7 1896, The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup-First Round.

There would be about 4,000 spectators at Goodison Park on Saturday to witness the tie between these clubs. both teams were at their best, and lined up as follows: - Everton:- Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle Holt and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Schofield, forwards. Darwen: - Kingsley goal, Nixon, and Leach backs, Sharp, Morrison, and Cowan, halfbacks, Hunt, Tyrer, McKae, Lees, and Kinsells, forwards Darwen had the better of the opening play, and within a couple of minutes, and opened the scoring by Kinsells after a race with Storrier for possession. Thus early encouraged the Darwen forwards went off at a great pace, and for some time had a lead in the operations of play, McKea, the centre took a smart pass from Kinsells, and his attempt to score only missed the net by the nearest shave. Almost directly afterwards the same player experienced ill luck in heading over the bar, when Menham had practically no chance to clear. The Everton forwards now roused themselves and put on pressure, but the Darwen defenders, who tackled and cleared, with good judgement, often thwarted them. Eventually Cameron equalised, after play had been in progess half an hour, and ashortly afterwards Bell gave his side the lead. The Visitor's played up strongly to the interval, but failed to score, and on changing ends the recored stood-Everton 2 goals, Darwen 1.

As in the initial half the visitors had the better of the opening play, and Tryer drove into the net, but offside was successfully claimed. The game then settled down in Darwen quarters, and a long pressure was maintained on Kingsley's charge, but the custodian brought off some magnificent saves from Chadwick, Cameron, and Taylor, and Leach eventually cleared in strong fashion. Menham was then tested from long range, and had no difficulty in keeping out shots, and following a further attack, Bell passed out to Taylor, who shot hard in, and the ball cannoned off Leach into the net. Getting to work again a further raid was levelled to the Darwen goal, and Taylor registered a fourth goal. Meanwhile the visitors had been playing pluckily, but were evidently fagged, and after forcing a couple of corners they were again thrown on defence. Chadwick finished up a movement by defeating Kingsley, and this was the last point scored and Everton winning by 5 goals to 1.



December 7 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Although the scoring in the Lancashire Cup competition at Goodison Park between Everton and Darwen greatly favoured the home side, the result was not altogether in keeping with the general run of the play. The visitors show pluckily from first to last and if their movements were not as finished as those of their opponents, they were nevertheless of a character that would pull them through many a stern encounter. They at off, with a dash that fairly look the Evertoninas by surprise, and they well earned the goal that gave then the lead for a considerable period during the first half of the game. The Everton players meanwhile were apparently reserving themselves for the latter stages and to an credinary observer it was patent that the visitors would not be able to stay the pace. Such turned out to be the case, for in the second half particular towards the close, the Evertonians asserted themselves and completely wore down their opponents, and it was during that time that the forwards substantially fastened their best. The Everton backs had plenty of work to do, and generally had ample room to get the ball away, so that they were under favorable conditions. The long kicking of the Darwen forwards at times gave them trouble, and caused endless running out on the part of Menham, who at one occasion overstepped the mark, and was lucky in being covered well by Arridge. The halfbacks played a steady game, and in the second half were more attentive to their forwards, who had innumerable chances to make headway. There was nothing exceptionally brilliant about the forward play during the greater portion of the game, but there were several magnificent individual efforts that kept up the enthusiasm of the crowd. Taylor was the most prominent in this respect, and since his inclusion at outside right this position has never been more successfully maintained. Cameron kept the wings well, and Schofield in the first half, and Chadwick and Bell in the second put in good and effective work. The Darwen team were a fairly well balanced lot, and in defence they were exceptionally clever. The custodian Kingsley dealt with shots that would have unhinged many a keeper of repute, for the saved repeatedly even from short range, and it rebounds greatly to his credit that he kept out every shot that was possible to save. The two bacls, Leach in particular played a fine defensive game, and at times came out of difficulties when failure seemed almost certain. The halfbacks were a hard working trio, and struck to the Everton forwards gamely throughout the whole of the play. While the three put in good work Sharp was the most finished, and was mainly instrumental in setting the van going. The forwards played a vigorous dashing game, but when nearing goal, they were somewhat unstrung and invariably passed the ball too far forward, and unabled an opponent to clear. However, when in possession, they made for goal in unmistaken fashion, and they were never out of their reckoning with final effort. Indeed in the first half with a little steadiness they might easily have given the Evertonians a more severe task to secure victory.

The replayed match between Bolton Wanderers and Everton is down for decision this afternoon at Burden Park. Despite the disparity between the clubs in their position in the League tables, there is sure to be a big struggle, and there are many who are confident of the ability of the Everton team to turn the tables upon their opportants, and if the form against Burnley is maintained there need be little fear as to the result. It is reported that Wright is fit and well, and will take up his usual position in the Bolton team, which will be at its full strength. For the convenience of local followers a special excursion train will leave Exchange station for Bolton at 1-10.



December 8 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The replayed League game between these clubs took place yesterday afternoon at Bolton, and as was the case on the occasion of Everton's first visit this season in Burnden Park, the weather was altogether against there being a good exposition of the code. Rain fell heavily, and the ground was saturated in parts, so that one can well imagine the difficulties experienced by the players. Exactly exactly the same team that opposed Darwen on Saturday last represented Everton, and the Wanderers had their full strength out. The sides were as follow: - Everton: - Menham goal, Storrier, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Schofield, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goals, Somerville, and Jones, backs, Paton, McGreachan, and Freebairn, halfbacks, Thomson, Gilligan, Nicol, Wright, and Jack, forwards .

Everton were fortunate in gaining the choice of ends, for they had the assistance of a fairly stiff breeze. However, the Wanderers were the first to become dangerous, and had the right taken advantage of a fine pass from Jack the scoring account must have been opened early. The ball was quickly at the other end, where Jones gave a corner, but Taylor made little use of the opening, and a spell of fairly even play followed. Eventually the Everton forwards got nicely under weigh and looked like obtaining something of a tangible nature when Paton checked their course. Holt was then busy in attending to the movements of Nicol, but ultimately Jack and Wright sped down the left only to be well met by Storrier, who cleared with the result that both Cameron and Bell made tracks towards Sutcliffe, and when in good position the Everton inside right was ruled offside. Following this the Everton goal was in danger, as Nicol forced a corner, but the ball was headed over, and immediately afterwards as the result of a fine movement on the Everton right, Taylor was in splendid position for shooting, when the referee pulled him up for offside-a ruling that was not at all favorably received in many quarters. Still the Evertonians maintained the lead as far as play was concerned, and Stewart from a free kick drove the ball into the net, but failed to get the necessary assistance to record a goal. This was followed by a severe bombardment of Sutcliffe's charge, Chadwick testing the custodian, with the shot that was fisted away with difficulty, and on returning Jones conceded a corner which brought about a melee in front of goal. McGreachan was prominent in defence at this juncture though disaster appeased certain, as Somerville raised his kick, but the wily custodian pounced upon the ball and was lucky to get it away. The Wanderers forwards with but few exceptions was at this period rarely dangerous, and the Everton backs were mainly occupied in keeping their was well forward. Chadwick and Schofield put in good work, but Paton was a stumbling block to meet of their incursions, though hopes were once again raised upon Schofield claiming a free kick, but unfortunately, Taylor headed over the bar. From the goal kick the Wanderers swooped down upon the visitors charge, and after Storrier had kept out a shot in clever fashion, Nicol had no one to beat but Menham and the latter brought off a grand save. The pressure on the Everton goal was however, short lived, and for some minutes afterwards the visiting forwards were busy attacking the Bolton defences, which was all that could be denied. Bell Schofield, and Cameron dash in, but all were treated alike and after a further visit in the other end, where McGreachan tested Menham the interval arrived nothing having been scored. It was generally admitted that the Wanderers had done exceptionally well under the existing conditions in keeping out their opponents during the first half and on resuming, conditions were certainly most favorable to them. However, the Everton forwards opened strongly and forced a corner. But shortly afterwards Thomson, who lay in a distinctly offside positions passed to Jack, who put the ball past Menham, and despite repeated protests, the referee Mr.Green, allowed the point. This had a disheartening effect upon the visitors, and they were again forced to defend. Wright shot in, and Menham cleverly saved, And almost directly afterwards the custodian kept out a clinking shot from McGreachan in most clever fashion, running out of goal, however, proved his downfall later on, as he failed to secure the ball, and Gilligan added a second point. This latter reverse appeared to disorganise the visitors, but after some little time they recovered their equilibrium, and Stewart shot into Sutcliffe's hands. Holt put in good work, but his forwards could not get going. The light became very bad towards the close, but in the last quarter of an hour Everton had undoubtedly the better of the game. Sutcliffe was several times called upon, and on one occasion he cleared in splendid style a grand shot from Chadwick. Although they gained a couple of corners, the movements of the Everton forwards lacked finish, but towards the end of the game Sutcliffe was lucky, when on the ground, to clear a fine shot from Taylor. Nothing further was scored, and the Wanderers won by 2 goals to nil. On the day's play Bolton were the better team, in as much as they were always dangerous when on the ball. Still the two goals were decidedly lucky, for the first was a comparative gift, as Thomson was palpably offside when he passed to Jack, and had Menham kept his position there was more than a probability that his charge would not have experienced a second downfall. Still, he played on the whole a grand game, and displayed plenty of resource and cool judgement. Cameron and Bell were not up to their normal standard, and Boyle was also weak, whilst Storrier was the better of the backs. The Wanderers halves were a very clever trio, and though Somerville and Jones were at times shaky, they gave little quarters while in goal Sutcliffe was, as in the first engagement, at his best.



Decemebr 14 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team accompanied by Messrs. Prescott, Kelly, and Cuff, directors of the club, and R.Molyneux, secretary, left Liverpool on Friday for the north to engage with Sunderland in the first of the season's League engagement. As is customary, the party spent a most pleasant evening at Durham, and entrained the following morning, arriving, at Sunderland about noon. There was not a great amount of interest centred in the meeting, for on arrivaL at the ground, there was ample room to preamble in comfortable fashion, and this is rather an unusual occurrences when Everton are visitors to the Newcastle road ground. The teams were strongly representative, as will be seen from the following list: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goals, McNeill, and Gow, backs, Ferguson, Dunlop, and Wilson halfbacks, Gillespie, Hartness, Campbell, Hannah (d), and Johnston, forwards. Sunderland won the toss, and after Cameron had set the ball going the visitors settled down to a warm pressure on the Sunderland goal. Gow met several ugly rushes, and eventually cleared, but a free kick, taken by Stewart looked likely to produce something tangible when the ball was placed over the bar. From the goal kick, the ball was worked nicely down the home right, and Menham was twice called upon in quick succession, dealing with both shots in most capable fashion. Following some stubborn play in midfield, Gillespie made off, and centering nicely Campbell drove hard at Menham, only to find the ball well handled and cleared. Eventually Storrier and Arridges were hard pressed, and after several attempts had been made to break through Johnston sent the ball across, and Hannah being well up, headed into the net without affording Menham the slightest chance to save, the game having been in progess 20 minutes. So far Sunderland had much the best of the play, for the visiting forwards rarely got into their stride, but one fine movement along the right, in which, Taylor was prominent, looked like ending successfully, when Gow intercepted, and placed his forwards once again in fine position. Holt got his head in the way, of a dropping shot, and immediately afterwards Hartness only missing the mark by the nearest shave, Johnston afterwards putting through, but was ruled offside. Then Everton had a turn at attack, but were never allowed to get close in, and the interval arrived with Sunderland leading by a goal to nil. On resuming Bell displaced Cameron and at once the change worked well. Doig was early called upon by Cameron and following a steady pressure Gow conceded a corner, but nothing came of it, and after Storrier had given a similar chance at the other end, and the Evertonians settled down to serious work. Milward and Chadwick were busy on the left, and on the latter's placing to Bell the ball was put past Doig, but the point was not allowed. Then Campbell got away, and Dunlop finished up with a shot that struck the crossbar but 20 minutes from time, Holt met a pass from the left, and seizing his opportunity drove hard, and straight from long range, Doig making no effort to reach the ball, he being completely taken by surprise. Following the point Sunderland put on severe pressure and Menham for some minutes was kept busy in clearing. The play towards the close was most exciting, and each team strove desperately to obtain the lead but scoring was not forthcoming and the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.



December 14 1896 the Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison park. Northwich started, and Everton began to press. Robertson, Banks, and Campbell scored in the first quarter of an hour. Everton had all the play to the interval. Schofield, Banks, and Maley added further goals, and at half time they led by six goals to nil. The visitors defence improved greatly on resuming and Northwich put in several good attacks. Everton however, were much the smarter, but only added one more point, Result Everton 7 goals, Northwich Victoria nil. Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Henderson (w), and Mcdonnell, backs Nash, Hughes (e), Robertson (j) halfbacks, Williams (w), Maley (w), Banks (h), Campbell (wc), and Schofield (a) forwards. (Game 10, won 8, lost 0 draw 2, for 42 against 9, points 18)



December 14 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team offered a very feeble resistance to the Bolton Wanderers on Monday last. The occasion was the replayed League game, and at Burden Park was as its worst, the play was not of a very attractive character. Everton had the wind to assist in the first half, but despite this advantage they could not make headway, and made but little impression on the Bolton defence. After keeping their goal it tact during the initial period, it was only to be expected that chance would favour the Wanderers on turning round, and such turned out to be the case, for they twice found the net and defeated Everton pointless. Still, the first goal was palpably offside, and one to nil would more accurately have represented the general run of the play. Cameron and Bell were not up to their usual form and though Schofield played fairly well in the first half he failed to stay the second, and the services of Milward were thus badly missed. Boyle was also off colour, but further behind both Storrier and Menham played a fine defensive game.

Since the institution of League games with Sunderland the prospects of the Evertonians to secure at least one point on the Newcastle road ground were never of a brighter character than they were on Saturday last. It has almost invariably happened when the exacting trip to the north has come round that one or more of our local teams have been unfortunately in a crippled state, and hence-Sunderland a long run of succcesses at home. On Saturday last however, were no deterrent circumstances to cause anxiety for one moment beyond this sodden nature of the ground, which rendered exceptionally heavy owing to recent copious down pours, tended materially to benefit the home team. Had the ground been even moderately dry there could have been no question as to the ultimate issue of the match, and when it is stated that more than one very questionable decision was given against the visitors. Critical periods of the game it can readily be grauted that Everton were unfortunate in not securing full points. Every follows of the pastime is prepared to admit that the team that score first has a powerful incentive to spur it on to success and almost without doubt this should have been the reward of Everton in the first five minutes when the referee overlooked a most glaring case of tripping within the limit line. Consulting linesmen is all very well in the way, but when it is borne in mind, that the rules of the game in this one was on the spot, and was therefore in the best position to judge for himself, it must be conceded that to me absolutely unnecessary, and unreasoning to relegate his powers to others. Besides at subsequent events proved, the wielders of the flag, one in particular did not display any great efficiency in dealing with the lower important points of the game, and fortunately the referee grasped the situration more strongly and gave he decision more independently after the earlier stages had passed over. They heavy ground favoured the home team, and after obtaining a goal which was admirably worked out, they played all over like a winning team up to the interval. During the initial half the Evertonians were most ill at ease especially in the forward line, where a glimpse of true form was a positive rarily. On the heavy ground, Cameron fell an easy victim, consequently the movements of the line were most disjointed, and towards the end of the first half the wing men resorted almost absolutely to individual efforts rather than free and comerted action, all along the line. A change was decided upon a during the interval, and the wisdom of adopting this course was at once manifest on the resumption of play. Bell was far more effective in the centre than he had hitherto been at inside right, and Cameron, in conjunction with Taylor, maintained the standard of right wing play, so that there was every prospect of recovering lost ground. Combination this now a feature of Everton's play, the Sunderland halves and backs having to keep themselves extended to their best, and when matters were running rather adorably with them they were not too particular in the methods they adopted to keep out their opponents. After the scores were made equal the Wearsiders went about their work in most determined fashion, and both Storrier and Menham were subjected to rough treatment while on the other hand, Taylor came in for an unacceptable share of the attention from the Sunderland backs. However, Everton were not to be again beaten and they are to be congratulated upon obtaining a point which, was scarely looked for, allowing their feeble display at Bolton on Monday last. Coming onto the players, Gilliespie was without doubt the most dangerous forward on the field. His flashes along the wing, and admirable centres often put Everton defenders in difficulties but fortunately they were at the right spot, and in time to relieve the custodian from ugly assaults on his charge. Hartness created a good impression and put in many fine shots, while Hannah was prominent as usual and was credited with Sunderland's goal. Campbell in the centre was a powerful opponents for Holt to deal with, but he rarely had much quarter from the Everton centre half, and most of his efforts were directed to keeping his wings at work, though there were times when he sent in several fine shots at Menham that would not have occasioned much surprise had some taken effect. It was only in the second half that the Everton forwards reached a high standard of play, and Taylor must be again accorded the palm by reason of his consistently good work throughout the whole of the game. Bell was far more effective in the centre, and when in this position those on either side of him played all over like a winning team. Chadwick and Milward were opposed to an almost impenetrate defence but despite this, both of them would probably have found the net in the first half had they received ordinary support. Honors of halfback play were fairly well divided. Wilson, Dunlop and Ferguson the first named especially were a powerful trio in the opening half, but they were somewhat unhinged in the later stages when the Everton forwards got properly into the stride, Boyle Holt, and Stewart got through plenty of work, and the little man as usual stuck to the burly Campbell in a particularly close manner that the latter did not altogether relish. These were, however, opportunities afforded when it would have been more profitable for the halves to test Doig, than to put the ball to their forwards especially as the latter were continually hugely the home trio, and on attempts in the direction by Holt from a long range was rewarded as the custodian was altogether taken by surprise. Gow and McNeill were a study pair of backs and nothing could have been finer than the cool manner in which the veteran met almost every attempt to break through, and eventually clear. Arridge had a tough wing to deal with, and got through his work in finished fashion while Storrier rather surprised the Wearsider by the cool and effective way that he sent them on the right. They covered each other admirably, and never gave occasion for advance criticism. Menham gave an excellent display in goal, and has apparently got over the nervousness, that was noticeable in previous matches. He struck to his post well, dealing with all kinds of shots in good fashion, and cleared well, one save in the first half from Campbell being simply marvelous, as the ball was sent in low with terrific speed from close range. Taking the game all through a draw was the fitting conclusion to arrive at on the total play.



December 21 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of this season's League games between these two clubs, was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, before 10,000 spectators. The sides were as follows : - Everton: - Menham goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain) halfbacks, Taylor Bell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Stoke - Johnstone, goal, Clare, and Dunbar backs, Fearns, Grewars, and Rowley halfbacks, Eardley, Bentley, Maxwell (a), Maxwell (w), and Schofiled, forwards.

Immediately on starting Schofield ran nicely down the Stoke left, and threatening between the home backs opened out a fine chance for A.Maxwell who in most unaccountable fashion put the ball outside. Chadwick got away from the goal kick, and after repassing with Milward the maide man centred accurately, and Cameron headed through, this success coming after one minute's play. Getting to work again, the home team was bust attacking, and as Clare missed his kick further disaster threatened, but the ball was put behind. A long kick by Arridge caused Johnstone to handle, and as he did not clear effectively Bell was quickly up and notched a second point, after play had been in progess eight minutes. The Everton forwards were very keen on the ball, and as the Stoke defenders were at this period often penalised there appeared every prospect of the home side substantially increasing their lead. However the visitors livened up considerably, and Maxwell levelled a shot that went slightly wide, and then Boyle got in the way of a clinking drive from Schofield that looked certain to reach the net. At the other and Taylor finished up well, Johnston with a flying kick just keeping him out, and for the next few minutes Menham had a trying time, as shot came from Bentley. A.Maxwell and Schofield that only just missed the mark. Attacking again Bentley struck the crossbar, and Schofield put behind, but a further movement met with better success, as W.Maxwell shot between the backs and scored. Play was no sooner resumed than Taylor took up the running and centring to Chadwick the ball rebounded off the latter player, and the outside right with a side touch placed it past Johnstone, this being the last point scored up to the interval, when the scored stood-Everton 3 goals Stoke 1.

On resuming the visitors were the first to become prominent, and a low shot from A.Maxwell looked like taking effect, when Menham got down to it and cleared well. Still Stoke maintained the upper hand, and following a further attack, which Storrier accounted for, Grewar essayed from a long range and struck the bar, Boyle eventually clearing. ‘'Hands'' in the Everton goal looked ominous, but a save was effected at the expense of a corner, and getting well under weigh Chadwick sent in a clever shot which cannoned off Dunbar and Johnston, and was easily cleared. Meanwhile Holt had been exceptionally bust, his work calling for frequently plaudit from the crowd as he tackled first one and than another of his opponents with complete success. Closely following Bentley was in grand position, and shot hard at Menham who brought off a good save, and for the next five minutes the Stoke forwards were masters of the field. Chadwick and Milward broke the monotony of pressure, and than Johnstone saved luckily from Cameron after Taylor had made the running on the right. Play was again at the Everton end, and W.Maxwell shot hard at Menham, who failed to get the ball away, and Bentley rushed up and Scored. There were now prospects of a drawn game, as Stoke hovered round the Everton goal, and Menham was distinctly lucky on two occasions, but eventually the Everton forwards forged ahead, and on Storrier placing a free kick beautifully, Bell headed through, and the final result stood Everton 4 goals Stoke 2.



December 21 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

At Chester. In the first half Chester through splendid goal keeping by Coventry, kept Everton out for 35 minutes and then banks scored twice for Everton in rapid succession. Chester forced the play in the second half, but the Everton defence was sound. Turner scored for Chester, who had hard lines in not equalising. Result Everton 2 goals, Chester 1. Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Barker (g), and Molyneux (g), backs, Goldie (h), Hughes (e), and Robertson (j), halfbacks, Williams (j), Maley (w), Banks (h), Campbell (wc), and Schofield (a) forwards . (Game 11 won 9 lost 0 draw 2, for 44 against 10, points 20)



December 21 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton are slowly but surely giving evidences of improvement, and if they but tide over the holiday fixtures without a repetition of accidents that have almost invariably marred their progess in previous seasons at this time of the year, they may yet run their near neighbours a close race for local honours. The game on Saturday was well supported, and notwithstanding the slippery nature of the ground, the play on the whole reached a high standard, and was vested with a plethora of exciting incidents that served to keep up the temperature of the crowd during the whole of the contest. From the outset the Stoke centre had the Everton goal at his command, and missed scoring in most unaccountable fashion, the excitement having scarely subsided till it was again renewed as Cameron opened the home account after a minute's play. There was no staying the progess of the home lot after this, and when seven minutes later the margin had been increased, there were visions of a substantial addition to the home goal average. However, Stoke gradually improved, and though they were scarely ever superior to their rivals in the first portion of the game, they often held a more commanding position in the later stages, and sided by a spice of luck, might easily have put a different aspect upon the game. The closing incidents of play were plentiful of excitement, as during the last five minutes both custodians had a most anxious time with shots that were levelled from close quarters, and through both Menham and Johnston were once beaten in this period they might easily have been forgiven had they experienced further disasters. On the whole, the Evertonians had slightly the better of play, and their success was mainly clue to the fact that they maintained a better foothold on the slippery ground than their opponents. The home players got about in their rubber boots with comparative ease and when making for goal, their movements were in marked contrast to those of the visitors, who were on many occasions most ill at ease. The Stoke backs experienced great difficulty in this respect, and were often faulty, consequently there was more latitude allowed to the home forwards to get in shots than one is accustomed to see under high-pressure football. The Everton forwards played a forcible and well-combined game, in which, the wingmen had a most important part. As an outside right Taylor could scarely have been beaten so accurate were his centres and deliberate aim at goal, despite the fact that he was the subject of repeated attentions from the Stoke halves and backs. The goal scored by him was a beautiful effort, and there can be no question that he has become a tower of strength in the Everton attack. Bell showed improvement upon late displays. Still he has yet attained his standard of excellence, but should this be soon forthcoming opponents will have a warm task set them in order to keep down the scoring. Cameron's mission appeared to be to keep the wings well employed, and in this direction he succeeded admirably. Inside play was often, adopted and with marked success, for the Stoke defenders were frequently lured to the centre, with the result that the opposing wingers with a wide pass, were left in a commanding position. Milward and Chadwick played admirably together and if their final efforts did not meet with success they nevertheless gave a sound exposition that thoroughly delighted the spectators. At halfback the home side was exceptionally strong and once again Holt came in an easy first. His tackling was superb and throughout the whole of the game he never knew what it was to be beaten, as he followed up his men and invariably obtained their measure at the finish. Boyle showed district improvement upon recent displays, and Stewart always about when danger threatened, and rarely beaten. The full back positions were not so ably maintained, for neither Storrier nor Arridges gave one an impression of confidences. Still they executed their work without serious blemish, and Menham in goal, came through the ordeal very celibately, though in the last few minutes, when Stoke looked like equalising, he appeared to lose himself, and fortunately for him luck came his way. The Stoke forwards, after the first quarter of an hour was a distinctly good lot, and in the second half especially did they keep the home trio and backs extended to their very best efforts. With a more capable centre than Allen Maxwell, the quendum Liverpool player, they must have run the Evertonians a very tight race indeed for, in addition to the chance afforded him immediately after the opening of the game, there were many fine passes from the wings that should have been better utilised. Schofield and W.Maxwell formed a powerful left wing and it was from this quarter that most of Stoke attack was levelled. The outside man was very speedy and resourceful, and it took Boyle and Storrier all their time to keep him in check. At the other end of the line. Bentley was always a prominent figure, especially when in the neighbourhood of goal. Grewar played a fine centre half game, both in keeping his van well employed and in attending to the Everton inside men, while Clare best represented the full back division. Johnston in goal had a bust time, particularly in the first half of the game, and the shots that beat him were altogether out of his reach.



Decemeber 26 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

About 3,000 spectators attended the friendly match between these teams yesterday morning-10-45 at Goodison Park, and the occasion served to introduce several of the Everton Combination players to regular followers of League football. The Celts also were not at their best, but a very serviceable team took to the field, and a little after the advertised time the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Molyneux backs, Goldie, Boyle, Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Maley (w), Banks (h) Hartley, and Milward, forwards. Glasgow Celtic: - Cullen, goal, Orr, and King (j), backs, Russell, Farrell, and King (a) halfbacks, Morrison, Blessington, Docherty, Henderson and Ferguson forwards. Everton opened the play, and at once established themselves in the Celtic half. A fine sequence of passing resulted in Hartley driving in from close quarters, and Cullen, the Celtic custodian, brought off a brilliant save. Immediately following Taylor had a grand chance to open the scoring, but put the ball wide, and then the Celtic left forged ahead, and Ferguson put in a couple of grand centre that should have been put to good account. Celtic was now having quite as much of the game as their opponents, and most danger emanated from their left wing. A corner kick splendidly taken, was on the point of being converted when Molyneux chipped in almost under the bar, and the Everton backs experienced an anxious two or three minutes. Hartley and Milward broke away, and in the movement the former his played much of his old resource. Orr eventually accounted for him, but Banks was instrumental in initiating a further attack but some clever passing with the inside men. Shooting however, was at a discount, and once again the Celtic forwards got under weight, Morrison eventually getting in a shot, which did not cause Menham much anxiety. The followed the finest bit of attack so far in the game, the executante being Taylor and Maley the combination players in the movement fairly delighting the crowd, by the manner in which he trickled the halves and backs, and finished up with a splendid shot, which unfortametely for his side, was cleverly saved. The ball had no sooner been in play than the home right, kept well employed by Banks was again in evidence, and Taylor finished up with a grand shot that completely defeated Cullen. J.King and Orr had most trying time in attempting to keep the Everton forwards out, and succeeded fairly well, but Orr was at length beaten, and Milward added a second goal. Celtic had now a grand chance to reduce the margin, as the centre half had a clear opening from Ferguson, but shot high, and on returning again Blessington put the ball slightly wide of the net. After Banks had been at fault at the other end the Celtic right had the better of Robertson and Molyneux, and a goal looked certain as Morrison finally lay in good position; but shooting which all through was not a strong point on the Celtic side, was again a failure, and in a trice, Taylor was in possession, Cullen keeping put a high dropping shot with capital judgement. A king could do little or nothing with Taylor and Maley, the latter of whom combined with the Leaguer with all the air of long acquaintancentship, and was a general favorable with the crowd. Following a further attack by Hartley and Milward against whom Orr was at last successful, the inside men put the ball back to Boyle, who from a long range defeated Cullen with a high swift shot. Nothing further was scored up to half time, when Everton were leading by three goals to nil. On resuming play for a few minutes was of an even character, the only item of exceptional merit coming from Banks, who sent in a clever, shot, which went slightly wide of the mark. Maley followed with another, which Cullen secured, and then Milward had a couple of chances, but both were badly utilised. Immediately afterwards a marvelous save was effected from Taylor, and following the clearance the monotony of pressure was broken by the Celtic right who bore away and finished up well, but when Menham was beaten, Storrier nipped in and kicked powerfully out of the goalmouth. Milward then broke away and passed to Banks whom shot cannoned off one of the backs to Maley, who put the ball into the net at the corner. On restarting the best sequence of passing from a Celtic point of view was witnessed. The whole quintet participated in the movement, which was well sustained by Docherty, and his final efforts merited better success. Taylor then put on a fifth goal, and immediately following Banks added a sixth from a shot by Milward play took an even form for some minutes, and following an abortive shot from Ferguson, Morrison had the better of a tussle with Milward, and with a swift shot scored the first goal for Celtic. Cullen scooped out a fine shot from Robertson and the time was called immediately afterwards with Everton leading by 6 goals to 1. The score quite represented the run of the game.



December 26 189. The Liverpool Courier

Fully 3,000 people witnessed this match at Prenton Park yesterday. Douglas kicked off for Tranmere, who were immediately compelled to defend their goal. A few minutes later some exciting play took place in front of Brolay, which ended in Campbell scoring the first point for Everton. resuming the Everton forwards, were often in dangerous proximity to Broley and eventually Williams scored against his old club. Some effective play by the Rovers forwards nearly ended in the capture of the Everton goal. While just before the interval Baby Lloyd Lee, and Douglas each had good but ineffectual shots. Half time Everton 2 goals Rovers nil. On changing ends Williams twice had the goal at his mercy, but he sent the ball a trifle wide on each occasion. During the last quarter of an hour, the Rovers played in irresistible style and at length Lloyd scored. Everton once more tested the Rovers defence, the final result being Everton Reserves 2 Tranmere Rovers 1. Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Balmer (w), and McDonell, backs, Nash, Hughes (e), and Elliott (j) (captain), halfbacks, Balmer (j), Williams (w), Not Known, Campbell (wc), and Schofield (a), forwards.


December 28, 1896. The Courier & Argus

At Liverpool, before 30,000 spectators. From the start Everton pressed, and scored twice. From a sudden spurt, Cowan scored a soft goal for Sunderland. Early in the second half a penalty kick was awarded against the visitors, and Milward scored, and Bell added a fourth point. Sunderland retaliated, and Raisebeck scored. The closing stages of the game were desperately contested, and Everton again scored. Result; Everton, 5 goals; Sunderland, 2.


December 28 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League engagement between these clubs on Saturday last at Goodison Park brought together a crowd of over 35,000 spectators. These were several changes in the teams. Hartley, Goldie, and Molyneux, being drafted into the home ranks, and Sunderland included Morgan and Cowan. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Menham goal Storrier, and Molyneux backs, Goldie, Boyle and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, McNeill, and Gow, backs, Ferguson, Dunlop, and Wilson, halfbacks, Gillespie, Cowan, Morgan Campbell, and Hannah, forwards. The game opened briskly with Everton strongly attacking, Hartley being prominent in an effort to beat Doig. Taylor eventually shot into the custodian's hands, and after Gillespie had tested Menham, the home forwards moved steadily to the other end. Taylor struck the bar with a strong shot, and after Doig had saved from Chadwick the latter quickly pounced upon the ball, and opened the scoring after play had been in progess three minutes. Getting to work again, Bell and Hartley made off, and following some clever play on the left, Milward sent across, and Bell meeting the ball added a second goal. Following some even play about midfield, Hartley headed in from a pass by Taylor and Doig was lucky in saving at the expense of a corner. A steady pressure was kept up on the Sunderland backs, who at times were hopelessly beaten, and had it not been for the superb efforts of the custodian the scoring must have been heavy. Hartley put in a swift shot, as Doig along the ground, and Chadwick and Bell also tested him, but all were nicely cleared, and Dunlop eventually put his forwards in possession. Molyneux was at fault, and let in Cowan, who scored a rather simple goal. Following this point. Sunderland played up with increased vigour, but nothing further was scored up to the interval. When Everton held a lead of two goals to one. On resuming, the high pace of the first half was still maintained, and play was generally even. Eventually Everton got well down, and following a melee, one of the Sunderland backs handled the ball in its passage to the net, and a penalty kick , being awarded Milward scored. Sunderland then put on pressure, but could rarely get in a shot, and from a free kick Goldie placed the ball beautifully to Bell, who added a fourth goal. Shortly afterwards Hannah centred nicely and Cowan headed in, Menham bringing off a capital save, but following the clearance, Sunderland returned again and Gillespie scored from a smart centre by Campbell. There was now little to chosen between the teams, but unfortunately for the northerners, they were weak in final efforts. Hartley put in a grand shot from a pass by Chadwick, and Taylor immediately headed outside. At the other end Gilliespie troubled Menham and then Taylor and Bell made off the former shot taking effect close on time. Nothing further was scored, and Everton won a grand game by 5 goals to 2.



December 28 189. The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of the Celtic team to Goodison Park on Christmas morning did not arouse as much interest as was general expected for at no period during the game were there above 3,000 spectators present. Neither of the teams were at full strength and the changes on the home side were made in order to introduce several of the Combination players to followers of League football. The game turnout one sided in character and with Everton forwards in good scoring condition the Celtic suffered a heavy defeat. Had their custodian at all wanted in resource a much heavier reverse than six goals to one would have been in store for the Scottish Leaguers. Most interest was of course centred in the movement of Banks, and Maley, the two new combination forwards and they were both an unqualified successes. Banks in the centre kept the wings going with capital judgement, and at times showed evidences of being a deadly shot at goal. Maley partnered Taylor and was conspicuous player throughout the whole of the game. He adopted his play to that of the outside man right from the start of the game, and with a little experience he should be class enough for any League team. Robertson played a good halfback game, and Molyneux who filled the left back position did exceptionally well. The Celtic team were seen at the best during the first portion of the game, but they were rarely allowed to trouble Menham much. The forwards were fitful, and the backs had but little chance to cope with the Everton wingers who were speedy and generally accurate in their final efforts.

The return League match between Everton and Sunderland created an enormous amount of interest for long before the advertised time of commencing operations the enclosure appeared comfortably filled, and when the game started there would not be less than 30,000 present. The vast crowd and the general excitement that prevailed remined one forcibly of the meeting, with Liverpool early in the season, and doubtless much of the instinted support was the outcome of the fine performance of the Wearsiders at Blackburn on the previous day, for when a close game is in prospect Liverpool followers of the code are always strongly represented. The game opened in rather sensational fashion for within ten minutes the Evertonians were leading by a couple of goals, and following their success up to the interval the class of play was brilliant in the extreme. Exciting incidents were brimful, and the Wearsiders left nothing undone whereby to recover ground. With both teams fully extended, and backed up by the spectators, the pace was lively enough to suit the most captions and when after changing ends with but one goal dividing the teams, general interest was, if anything increased. Gradually, however the Evertonians draw ahead and late on left Sunderland hopelessly behind, and won comfortably by 5 goals to 2. The home forwards combined beautifully, and except in one quarter the individual play was much in advance of previous performances this season. The reinstatement of Hartley resulted in complete success for during the first half of the game he played with all his old cleverness, and in the second portion he was always about whenever there was the slightest chance of making headway. The wings were kept well employed, and the sharp, nippy movement of the right wing especially was feature greatly admired by the hugh crowd. Taylor was again a warm favourate, and Wilson and Gow, had a rather reverse afternoon's work in endeavoring to keep this very accomplished player in check. Bell improved greatly upon his late performance and should he reach his former standard of excellent opponents may expect an anxious time from this quarter. As mentioned above, Hartley gave a sound display in the centre, and as this followed upon a capital performance on the previous day against Celtic, he is likely to have further trisle. Chadwick also played a strong game, but Milward though never easily beaten, did not reach the level of his confreres. At halfback, both Goldie and Boyle were always well employed, and accounted for the Sunderland forwards on several occasions when disaster appeared certain. Storrier was better of the backs though Molyneux shaped very well against such a clever right wing as Sunderland posses. Doig gave a capital display in goal, and Dunlop at centre half was the most successful of the backs, who rarely placed the ball to the forwards with any approach to accuracy. It was in this respect that the Sunderland van was greatly handicapped, and most of the play that was likely to cause trouble was mainly the result of individual efforts by Gillespie and Hannah the two outside men. Taking the game all round, Everton fully deserved victory, and much of their success was due to the fine placing of the halfbacks who thus gave the forwards many opportunities to shine.