January 1897

January 2 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton commenced their New Year tour with a visit to Sheffield in the return engagement with the United. The day was beautifully fine, and there was a capital attendance at Bramell Lane, where the crowd confidently anticipated a duel success for the local team on the season's engagements. Both Cameron and Bell had perforce to stand out of the Everton ranks. Hartley filling the centre position, and Maley who did so well against the Celtic team on Christmas morning, partnering Taylor on the right wing. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Maley, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. United: - Foulkes, goal, Whitham, and Cain, backs, Howell, Morren, and Jones halfbacks. Bennett, Needham,Walls, Priest, and Ross, forwards. Everton lost the toss, and Hartley opened the game before 12,000 spectators. Everton were the first to show up, Chadwick leveling a shot whick, went over the bar, and following a further effort by Taylor, whose centre was badly utlised, the inside left missed the net by a close shave. Bennett and Needham ably attended to by Howell made the running on the Sheffield left, but failed to get the better of Arridge and from a free kick against Whitham the other end was reached, where scoring looked certain, when Cain nipped in, and cleared strongly. A smart run down the left, by Ross was the next item of interest, and this player's centre was about to be converted by Needham when Arridge got up in time to prevent disaster. The United forwards now put on pressure, and for some time the Everton backs had to keep extended to their best efforts. Once Morren tested Menham with a difficult shot, and Jones finished up a rather prolonged spell of attack with a clinking shot that just grazed the bar. Eventually the Everton halfbacks relieved and Holt was conspicuous in this respect. Maley made headway, and passing to Taylor, the latter threated his way between the backs and easily defeated Foulkes after play had been in progess 15 minutes.

This scarley represented the play so far, as the United were often in very good position, but unfortunately for them, the forwards made poor use of their chances. Menham was almost caught napping with a shot from Priest, but saved at the second attempt and a moment later the custodial cleared grandly from Ross. At the other end, Milward was wide of the mark, and then the United forwards scooped down upon Menham, and in the end had a fine chance of equalising, shooting was however, faulty again Walls had Menham at his mercy when Storrier raced up and took the ball from his toe in most clever fashion, a feat that was duly appreciated by the visitors van, who at once laid hot siege upon this United goal. Maley and Taylor were prominent at this juncture, and the latter shot from a difficult angle lacked but stiring to bring off a finely worked for goal. A corner kick against Everton looked dangerous, but the ball was eventually worked clear, and on returning again Priest got a magnificent chance from Ross, And sent in a difficult oblique shot, which Menham saved in most clever fashion. Stewart being in attendance to put in a finishing clearance. Taylor, Hartley, and Milward then tested Foulkes, but none of the shots called for much effort to save. Hartley and Taylor were pulled up for off side when in good position. The home players had far more openings that their opponents, but failed to utilise them, and when halt time arrived with the score in favour of Everton it was generally conceded that they were somewhat lucky in holding the lead. Menham give a fine performance in this half and the backs were always busy, and generally did well whilst Stewart and Holt were always tough opponents to deal with. Taylor was the most finished forwards during the first half, and Maley partnered him with credit most of the Everton attacks coming from this quarter. The second half opened with an attack upon the Everton goal, most danger coming from the left wing. Storrier attended to this quarter in accomplished fashion and the Everton right became prominent once again. Taylor had a grand chance, but shot high, and on again returning the ball glided off Cain to Foulkes, the latter of whom failed to get it away, and Hartley added a second goal in easy fashion. Following this, the Evertonians fairly held his position of affairs, and shots came from Maley and Chadwick, which troubled Foulkes considerably. Milward had two grand chances, but finished badly. At length Needham forged ahead, and Arridges was at fault as he missed his kick at a critical juncture, this enabling Needham to centre to Priest who had no opposition and opened the scoring for the United. Almost immediately following Taylor just missed the mark with a clever shot, and Chadwick also looked like scoring, when Foulkes got low down and brought off a fine save. Stewart left the field for a few minutes, having received a nasty cut on the face and during his absence the United forwards looked twice certain scorers. The skipper signaled his reappearance by clearing a warm shot from the home right, but there was no mistaking the earnestness of the Blades as they settled down a lengthy attack on the Everton goal. Stewart rendered admirable services, as also did Holt, Arridge, and Storrier, as time after time they pulled up the home forwards when matters were none too favorable for Everton. Milward was weak at the other end, and then a desperate effort was made as time was drawing to a close, to get upon equal terms. However, the Evertonians were determined to give nothing away, and attacked spiritedly Hartley almost bring off a magnificent fierce goal, and Chadwick failing shortly afterwards from a fairly easy position. With five minutes to play, the United strove to breakaway, but they were firmly held in check, and Everton won a fine game by two goals to one. The secondhalf was grandly contested and on the day's play Everton fully deserved their victory.

January 2 1897.
No details. At Goodison Park. Everton: - Palmer, goal, Gordon, and McDonnel, backs Nash, Hughes, and Robertson halfbacks Williams, Maley, Banks, Campbell, and Schofield forwards . (Game 12 won 9, lost 1 draw 2 for 46, against 13 points 20)

January 4 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton team, after their very fine performance at Bramell Lane made the journey to Stoke to engage in the return fixture with the Pottery team. Eccles for the first time since October 19 th was included in the home side, which otherwise was identical with that which, appeared at Goodison Park a fortnight ago. Bell was reported fit and resumed his usual position, and before a crowd of about 6,000 spectators the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Stoke: - Johnston, goal, Clare, and Eccles, backs, Ferans, Grewar, and Rowley, halfbacks, Eardley, Bentley, Maxwell (a), Maxwell (w), and Schofield, forwards. The keen frost during the previous night left the ground pretty hard, but no exception could be taken to it, in fact there was every indication of a fast and exciting game. Everton won the toss, and at once Schofield made the running on the home left, but failed to defeat Storrier, and then Hartley made of and sent in a long shot, which went over the bar. A moment later the same player sent in a capital shot, which was very ably saved by Johnston. Immediately following Stewart missed his foothold, and Boyle conceded a corner, which was splendidly placed, and caused much trouble to the Everton defenders. Storrier eventually cleared, but on again returning A.Maxwell got on a splendid curling shot which, Menham cleverly kept out W.Maxwell also having a shot from short range without success. Chadwick then tested Johnstone with a splendid shot low shot, and the Evertonians keeping up a stead pressure forced a corner, which was admirably taken by Chadwick and splendidly judged by Bell, who headed to the goalkeeper. Hartley meeting the ball and putting it through, play having been in progess a quarter of an hour. There could be no question as to the superiority of Everton, who were pressing their opponents heavily, and following several attempts to score Milward got in a beauty from a difficult angle, but unfortunately his shot had too much elevation. Eventually Hartley shot through but a Stoke man had previously handled the ball, and the point was did allowed. Everton had unquestionably all the play, but could not break through, and when going strongly, Milward was penalised, and the result proved fatal, as Grewar passed on to Schofield who defeated Menham with a shot that gave the custodian little chance to clear. Then following a heavy raid upon the Everton goal, and Storrier, Menham, Arridge, and Stewart put in magnificent work. The pressure was however, short lived, and Everton were again quickly attacking Chadwick and Milward causing most anxiety to the Stoke defenders. Another breakaway by the Stoke van looked dangerous and Grewar finished up with a low shot that Menham just reached but failing to clear effectively. Bentley put well into the goalmouth, when Storrier very cleverly saved at the expense of a fruitless corner. Play was quickly at the other end when a spirited attack ended in Clare bringing about an alteration of venue, and half time was immediately afterwards announced with the score one goal each. On resuming Everton at once pressed, but could not break through, Clare and Grewar being most prominent and effective in work of a saving character. Hartley twice threatened his way through, but failed and then Milward put through after a fine run down by the Everton right, home side successful claiming offside. It was not until ten minutes had elapsed in the half that Stoke forwards got a footing in the Everton half. Their stay was short, for Taylor got into a fine run, and centred Hartley finishing up with a shot that was unfortunately directed straight to Johnston. At the other end W.Maxwell netted the ball, but was ruled offside, but a further return, the same player was more successful with a shot that Menham ought certainly to have kept out. No least disheartened, the Everton team plodded on, and Taylor after a fine sequence of passing all along the line, defeated Johnston with a magnificent high shot thus placing his side upon equal terms. Play no sooner been resumed than Hartley took the lead after a warm skirmish in the Stoke goal. A quarter of an hour was now left for play, and both sides put on stremous effects, the pace if anything being keener than at any other period of the game. Towards the close the close Everton fairly bombardment the Stoke goal but could not score again and time was called with Everton leading by 3 goals to 2.

January 4 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
At Goodison in front of a fair crowd, the game ruled entirely even, and no team could penetrate the defences, and the game end goalless. Everton: - Palmer, goal, Gordon, and McDonnell, backs Nash, Hughes, and Robertson, halfbacks, Williams Maley, Banks, Campbell, and Schofield.

January 4 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton are to be heartily congratulated on the great success of their New Year's tour. In Meeting Sheffield United and Stoke from Home on two successive days they had a very hard task before them, and in securing a dual victory they have established another in their history of the club. Few even of their most sanguine supporters dreamt that they would obtained the maximum points in two such admittedly stiff engagements, but after the experience of the last few days it cannot be denied that Everton have come back to form with a vengeance and are fully equal to any League club in the country. The four points, which they secured in their two latest matches were needed badly, but it is not too much to say that with a continuance of the brilliance, which has recently distinguished them they will long occupy a very prominent place in the League table. The tour opened in a most satisfactory manner though at one time, events pointed to a different result. When the team who were in the genial ‘'custody ‘' of M. J. Prescot and Mr. R.Molyneux left the Central Station at half past ten o'clock Friday morning, there was a full complement of players, barring Chadwick, who traveeled from Blackburn. It was soon noticeable that Bell was unwell and the fears that he would be unable to play were realised. Fortunately a message to Maley, who gave such a promising display in the Celtic match did not miscarry, but owing to the exigencies of the train services he was unable to reach Bramell Lane until shortly before the time for the kick off. ‘'However all's well that ends well'' and the team turned out with the fixed determination to revenge the defeat, which was inflicted upon them at Goodison Park earlier in the season. The play in the first half scarily warranted this belief although Everton obtained a goal, for the Blades were the more aggressive. At the same time there was not the penetration to their finishing movement, which charaterisised the Everton forwards whenever an opportunity was afforded them. The second half was undoubtedly favorable to Everton, and no one could denied the superior of the visiting team, who thoroughly deserved their victory, while the team as a whole gave a display which was appreciated even by the keen enthusiastic at Sheffield. Menham in goal added considerably to his growing reputation for steadiness, and resource. One of his saves in the first half being really marvelous. Maley proved a capable substitute for Bell and being a younger player, will certainly be a usefully man for Everton in near future. At the conclusion of the match, the Party left without delay for Stoke, where they spent a quiet evening. The victory of the day, before had given the players renewed confidence for the encounter with the Pottery men, and although Stoke were able for the first time since the middle of October to place their best team in the field, the players themselves had no misgivings as to the ultimate result of the game. Bell had sufficiently recovered to resume his accustomed position, and both teams were apparently in the best possible conditions. There was very keen frost overnight, and this rendered the ground hard and difficult of foothold. The Stoke had the advantage of Everton through playing in rubber soled boots, but through they kept their feet better, they were not to clever as their opponents. To a great extent Stoke throughout the game were only dangerous by reason of sudden dashes on the part of the wingmen, through there were two or three occasions where a well sustained pressure was maintain. It was distinctly creditable to the Everton defenders that they met these unexpected spurts with so much confidence, and success. Everton were the first to score, from a corner 15 minutes from the start, but still early in the second half Stoke held the lead. Even then the Evertonians were not adversely affected and playing up in the determined style, they made mincemeat of the Stoke defence, and quickly a couple of goals to their credit. The match was than practically over, for Everton having regained the lead, never gave their opponents a chance. Again the Everton players kept up a high standard and so well did all the members of the team play, that it would be invidious to single any out for special mention. Taking the game as a whole. The scoring was quite in keeping the actual play. From Stoke the team tralleved to Edinburgh where they spent Sunday, and today they play a match at Glasgow with Glasgow Rangers.

January 5, 1897. The Courier & Argus
This holiday fixture was played at Ibrox Park yesterday in delightful weather, and before 5,000 spectators. Everton started, and during the first half had the better of the game. Robertson, Willard, and Taylor all scored, the latter twice. Hyslop and Oswald had goals for the Rangers. In the second period the Rangers had more of the play, Hyslop and Low scoring. Everton wanted Storrier all this half, as his knee gave way. Result- Rangers 4 goals; Everton, 4, goals.

January 6 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
After the fine performance of the Everton team at Stoke the party made the journey to Edinburgh, and proceeded to Glasgow yesterday morning to play the return match of the season with the Rangers at Ibrox park. There was a crowd of about 12,000 present when the teams appeared and as far as Everton were concerned several of the new hands were tried, while the Rangers team, with but one exception was identical with that which defeated Celtic on Saturday last in Glasgow League match. The sides were as Follows: - Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Storrier and Molyneux backs, Goldie, Boyle, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Banks, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Glasgow Rangers: - Dickie, goal, Smith, and Drummond backs, Jackson, McCreadie, and Gibson halfbacks, Low, Miller, Oswald, Hyslop, and Turnbull forwards. Everton kicked off and at once took up a good position in the Rangers half, Bell drove towards the net, and Taylor finished up with a shot that completely defeated Dickie in the first minute of play. Getting to work again Bell put in a magnificent shot, which the custodian saved at the expense of a fruitless corner, and them Low and Miller ran grandly down the right, the finishing touch from the latter being unfortunately for his side a trifle wide. Following this the Rangers forwards were decidingly aggressive, and for some minutes the Everton backs had plenty y to do. Oswald put in a clinking shot, which Palmer ably dealt with and then Bell and Taylor were again prominent in all attempts to increase the lead. However, the Rangers halves struck to the visiting forwards in very close fashion, but there could be no doubt up to this period of the game as to which was the better team. Chadwick sent in a beauty, which Dickie cleverly saved, as also a return from Taylor, and after further pressure, which resulted in the concession of a couple of corners, Robertson sent in from long range, and the ball glided from the upright into the net. A minute later Turnbull had a grand change to reduce the margin, but finished badly, and than a rush was made up to the Rangers end, where Dickie feebly attempted to clear from Banks, and Taylor scored an easy goal. A desperate effort to score was now made by the home forwards, but they found Robertson in great form, and when at length openings were made there was no defeating Palmer, who saved twice from Turnbull in brilliant fashion. The Rangers halves were now fairly beaten and a sharp pass from Banks to Milward resulted in the latter scoring with a splendid oblique shot that gave Dickie no earthly chance to clear. With four goals against them matters were becoming serious for the Rangers, but strive as they would they could not make no impression upon the Everton defence, which was simply superb. Low eventually put through from Hyslop, but the point was disallowed for offside. A few minutes later Hyslop' after a fine sequence of passing, scored from close quarters. This success fairly aroused the enthusiasm of the crowd, and play was resumed with a sharp attack on the Everton goal. However, Taylor, Bell, and Banks became dangerous, and each shot in the custodian bringing off a couple of clever saves from the outside man and centre. Retaliating, the Rangers right raced away and Jackson placed the ball forward to Oswald, who headed through amid great excitement, half time arriving shortly afterwards with Everton leading by 4 goals to 2. On the teams reappearing Storrier, who sprained his ankle in the first half was unable to play, but still with diminished forces, the Evertonians held the position. Taylor who had gone right full back pulled up Turnbull after a really clever run and than Banks lost a splendid chance form Robertson. Bell immediately putting through from an offside positions. The Rangers now bombarded the Everton goal, and Oswald had a couple of grand chances, but failed to utilise them. Robertson and Molyneux were able defenders, but the home right and Hyslop taking a pass shot in obliquely Palmer having no chance to clear eventually beat them. Closely following Low scored thus placing the teams on level terms. The Rangers were now playing a great game, most of their attacks coming from the left wing where Hyslop was always dangerous still the Everton ten did exceptionally well, and after Goldie had once put behind Milward shot in splendidly, the custodians being fortunate in reaching the ball, and tipping it over the bar. Play now ran more favourable to Everton, whose quartet of forwards played up spiritedly and were several times unlucky in final efforts. A sudden rush found Taylor weak and both Hyslop and Oswald, had chances, but failed to make use of them. At the other end Chadwick got in a beauty that shaved the upright, and directly afterwards Banks tested Dickie with a shot that was got away at the expense of a fruitless corner. With Everton still having the better of the game, time was called, the score being Everton 4 goals, Glasgow Rangers 4. In the first portion of the game the Evertonians out to pace in most surprising fashion, and the four goals scored were well worked for. There could be no two opinions as to which was the better team during the first half and it was unfortunate that Everton had to resume play with but ten men. The combination players did very well indeed, and Palmer gave a capital display between the sticks, whilst Robertson got through a lot of hard work against clever wing.

January 7, 1897. The Courier & Argus
Peter Meechan will soon be an out-an-out Evertonian. The necessary preliminaries have all been settled, and the leader of the great football strike of December, 1896, will cut the trammels of Parkhead from off him, and glide across the Border to Goodison Park, in company with the great man-catcher, Dick Molyneux.

January 11 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
The first of the League engagements between these clubs was plated at Goodison Park, snow falling heavily during the whole of the game. This was rather unfortunate, for under ordinary circumstances there would probably have been a big crowd present, as the result of the two very fine victories obtained by the home team at Sheffield and Stoke last weekend. As it was there were about 6,000 spectators on the ground, and under the existing conditions this must be accounted as very satisfactory. Owing to the injury to Storrier at Glasgow against the Rangers as was unable to take up the accustomed position, which was filled by Barker, but this was the only change, and the teams faced as Follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Barker, and Arridge, backs, Boyle Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Notts Forest: - Allsop, goal, Ritchie, and Iremonger, backs, Wragg, McPherson, and McCreadie, halfbacks, Forman (Ar), Capes, Richards, (Ad) Capes, and McInnes, forwards. Everton from the outset put on pressure, and looked like opening their account early, as a couple of free kicks were awarded them close to the twelve yards lines. These were cleared, but returning again both Taylor and Bell drove hard in, only to find the backs in the way, and then McInnes led on the first dangerous movement of the Forest, Holt chipping in at the right moment and sending the visitors to the right about Hardley finished up a fine sequence of passing, in which Taylor and Bell took a prominent part, by testing Allsop, who was on the alert, the same player immediately afterwards being in possession, but unfortunately his shot went wide of the mark. Bell met similar luck after Chadwick and Milward had made the running, and strive as they would the Forest forwards could not make headway, beyond the halfway line. An effort by Richards availed them nothing, and then Chadwick was fouled in, front of Allsop, and after a most exciting tussle the ball was once again behind, this time by Taylor. Play now ran on fairly even lines, and following some exchanges about midfield, Richards twice attempted to defeat Menham without success. Ar. Capes then had particular no opposition but finished badly, and Menham saved easily and at the other end Milward missed a fine opening following upon some clever play by Taylor and Bell. A couple of grand shots from Chadwick and Bell only justed missed the mark, and just as every one were preparing for the interval, Boyle put the ball to Taylor, who with a brilliant individual efforts threaded his way between the backs and defeated Allsopp, the interval being then announced. Everton leading by a goal to nil. On resuming Everton were again pronounced and after three minutes play Bell added a second goal, Allsopp slipping in attempting to reach the ball. Following this a determined efforts was made by the Forest to reduce the margin, and it looked as if they would succeed, as Barker was at fault though this matisered little, for Arridges was in readiness, and recovered the ground. A shot from Forman went wide, and further efforts from McInnes had a like result. From the goalkick the home forwards again bore down, and was stubbornly met by Richards and Iremonger who repeatedly cleared in clever fashion. A shot from Hartley almost found the mark, and then Richards got away from a free kick against Barker, the ball eventually cannoning off Arridge to Menham at a rapid pace, and fortunately for Everton the custodian was at the right spot. Later on Hartley looked a certain scorer, when Iremongers fouled him, and taking the free kick Boyle placed beautifully into goal, the ball gliding off a player and into the net. Getting to work again, the Notts left were in evidence, and a cross shot was beautifully taken by Forman, who drove into passed Menham, twenty minutes were now left for play, and for some times the visitors peppered away in Menham's charge, but to avail, The keeper brought of several fine saves, and Everton up to the finish had the better of matters, though just on the close Wragg was not far out of his reckoning with a shot the struck the bar. Result Everton 3 goals, Notts Forest 1.

January 11 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
At Crewe. The home team started the ball, and in the opening exchanges, Everton had the better of the game and Banks scored for them. The Crewe pressed, and 2 goals in succession, fell to them from Wilcox, and Simpson. At half time Crewe led by 2 goals to 1. In the second half both teams pressed vigorous. Crewe scored from a scrimmage while Robertson got through for Everton. Crewe winning by 3 goals to 2. (Game 12, won 9, lost 1, draw 2 for 46, against 15, points 20)

January 11 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton by their victory over Notts Forest recorded their fifth consecutive success in League football, and the total score, of seventeen goals to great is sufficiently pronounced to warrant even better things accomplished in the future. Defeat has not been experienced by the team since the unexpected happening against Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park, on November 14; and including the return game, with Burnley and the initial contest with Sunderland a fortnight later, the result show a very creditable average of 23 goals to 9 for eight matches played. This plainly demonstrate that the club has raised its head and returned to something like its true from, and when the season's honours are settled the wearers of the blue will be found somewhere about the top, despite the adverse result during the early part of the campaign. The forwards are just now as invincible as they ever have been, and the half backs line is admittedly second to none in the county, while with a strengthening of the rear guard which will be realised in a few days, the team will undoubtedly held its own against all comers. Reverting to Saturday's game, the local club were immeasurably the superior team, and had the forwards been as accurate in their shooting as they were in the other points of the game there would unquestionable have been a record score against the Forest. The passing and generally movements of the Everton van were alike pretty and effective, and commentated greatly for the miserable elemental conditions that existed during the whole of the game. The turf was very greasy, but it appeared to have no deterrent effect upon the Everton players, who got off the many and ran round their opponents have delight of the five thousand enthusiast who braved the weather, whole Nottingham team were a long time in setting down, in fact it was not until well on in the second half that that were at all comfortable as regards football. Then they gave a really good display, but unlike their opponents, they were unable to sustain a pressure for any lengthy period, and their after movements were of a most spasmodic character. As regards half back plays there was only one side in it, and that was not the Forest, while honours in the other divisions were fairly well divided. Although Everton were underably far in advance of their opponents as far as play was concerned in the first portion of the game there were visions of a clean shot at the interval, when with one minute to play Taylor received the ball from Boyle, and with a magnificent efforts got between the backs and score-this most brilliant feet being accompanied with terrific shouts of applause from all parts of the ground. During this first portion a solid foundation ought to have been laid in the way of scoring and this would have probably been realised had there been more frequent recourse to shooting at goal. Passing through pretty, and pleasing to the eye of the spectators was really overdone and opposed to smart backs forwards cannot hope to gain much in this respect. Time after time Ritchie and Iremonger intercepted passes from the inside men, where a pop at goal could have been taken with more chance of success, and it was not unfit the second half that the Everton forwards secured to take in the situation. Then shooting was more general and was not unmixed with efforts from long range. The quintet, on the whole was a nicely balanced one, and they will be clever set of halves that will be able to obtain full measure of them. Hartley attended to the wings in most able fashion and though he was art fault in a few finishing trouches there could be no question as to his playing a really goal quest. His tactics fitted in admirably with those on either side of him, right from start to finish there was scarcely a shade of inequality discernible. As inside left Chadwick was a past master and with Milward formed a very powerful wing, while Bells again showed district improvement, and in radidly returning to his old form. Taylor who, by his consistently good play, has become a great favourite with Everton, followers was the most dangerous forward when on the ball, and it by a most point as to whether there is a finer outside right in the kingdom. The halfbacks were veritable gluttons for work. Boyle played a much-improved game and coped with the efforts of McInnes and Arthur Cape with much success. while Holt accounted for the inside play of the Forest in his usual accomplished style. He was a perfect thorn to Richards and in fact, he was a stumbling block to all the attacking force, as he popped up most unexpectedly when danger threatened his side, which he then put in command in his own immutable fashion. At full back, Barker gave a sound display in the first half his kicks being clean and well directed, but there was times during the second portion, that he misjudged the ball, and gave it too much elevation. Still there was no serious fault to find with his play, and there can be no doubt that he will develop into a really first class kick. Arridges was reliable, and recovered himself well when apparently beaten, while Memham gave a sound exhibition in goal, he having put little chance to save the shot that found its way to the net. The visitors beyond a sturdy defence showed nothing of exceptional merit, and on their form they are likely to finish up the season without laying claim to a single victory away from home. This is rather an unsatisfactory state of affairs, but if their play on Saturday was a sample of pervious performances on foreign grounds, one can readily understated their unenviable position. The forwards went about their work by fits and sorts and beyond some occasional very fine play by McInnes and Arthur Capes, the former especially there was little done to raise the standard up to average form. At times Richard was dangerous and Forman got in some good centres, but still there was a want of balanced all along the line, which, if not remedied, will render them easy victims in further engagements McPherson gave a sound display as centre half, and it was mainly due to his efforts that the home scoring was not of a prolific character while both Ritchie and Iremonger, under heavy pressure, got through their work with district credit. Allsop kept goal well, but he was rather lucky in getting several shots away with flying kicks. Often he had ample room and time to handle the ball before clearing, and under such circumstances his methods in dealing with several shots were to say the least of it, both risky and foolish.

January 18, 1897 Lancashire Evening Post
Yesterday at Darwen, the death took place of Joseph Marsden who, in 1891, represented England against Ireland in which match he played as full back. Deceased was an old member of the Darwen team, he having partnered J.R Leach in 1892 he signed for Everton, but owing to a bad leg he took part in a very few matches for the club, and his connection was but short one. The injury to his limb practically terminated his career, which given signs of being a brilliant one. After leaving Everton, he threw in his lot with a Darwen junior team. He was 30 years of age, and leaves a widow and four children.

January 18, 1897. Lancashire Evening Post
Yesterday, at Darwen, the death took place of Joseph Marsden, who in 1891 represented England against Ireland, in which match he played at full back. Deceased was an old member of the Darwen team, he having partnered J.R. Leach. In 1892 he signed for Everton, but owing to a bad leg took part in very few matches for the club, and his connection was but a short one. The injury to the limb practically terminated his career, which had given signs of being a brilliant one. After leaving Everton, he threw in his lot with a Darwen junior team. He was 30 years of age, and leaves a widow and four children.

•  Thanks to Kjell Hanssen

January 18 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
The first of the season's League game between these clubs was played at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday, there being about 5,000 spectators, present at the commencement of play. As Storrier had recovered from his injury at Glasgow the Evertonians were fully represented whereas the home side had to dispense with the services of Bassett, who is still indisposed. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. West Beromwich Albion: - Reader, goals, Evans, and Williams, backs, Perry, Higgins, and Banks halfbacks, Dean, McLeod, Flewitt, Richards, and Watson forwards. Hartley opened play, and at once Everton made the running, Chadwick unfortunately putting the ball wide of the net. Flewitt then made headway, but was eventually dispossessed by Holt, and Hartley raced grandly down the centre Williams only just getting up in time to nudge him off the ball as he was about to test Reader. From the clearance the Albion forwards got well under weight, and Flewitt had a capital opening afforded him, when he finished badly, a further effort by Dean passing slightly wide of the post. Immediately following the Everton forwards were again in command,but there was no defeating Williams, who tacked well, and licked powerfully though in the matter of exchanges there was little to choose between the respective backs. Boyle was kept busy, and got through his work well, but eventually Watson raced round and put in a clever shot, which Arridge formately met, thereby saving an almost certain goal. A big effort was now made by the home van, as they swung the ball from wing to wing, and for a time disconnected the Everton backs. Luckily Menham was in fine form, as he saved from Richards, and McLeod and later on from Dean, all being met coolly and ably cleared. Once Richards tempted him out, and he had no sooner recovered himself than Flewitt was in fine shooting positions and, taking deliberate aim drove in hard, but to no purpose. Storrier conceded a corner in attempting to clear from Dean and for some time the Albion forwards hovered round the Everton defence. Taylor broke the monotony and shot in at Reader, only to find him in readiness, and at the other end Dean got in a beauty which was ably attended to by the exguardsmen. From this point up to the interval the Albion were most aggressive and had the forwards taken advantage of what were apparently easy chances they must have scored on more than one occasion. At half time nothing had been scored and on getting to work again the Evertonians, as in the early part of the proceedings opened in strong fashion. Retaliating, Higgins had a pop at Menham, and McLeod failed to utilise a grand chance from Perry. Profiting by these escapes, the visitors went off in irresistible fashion, but Bell, Hartley, and Milward met with no better result than they did their opponents with final efforts. Williams conceded a corner kick, and following a skirmish in the vicinity of goal. Taylor rushed in and scored easily, and a couple of minutes later the same player added a second goal. The reveres completely surprise the Albion, but they soon recovered, and fairly peppered at the Everton defence. Storrier brought off a fine clearance when scoring looked certain, and following a long period of pressure Stewart placed the ball forward, Bell who eluded the opposing halves, and a long range, drove hard and low, Reader making no effort to save. This third reverse disorganished the home defenders, and on Williams slipping, Taylor who had been followed up registered a fourth goal. A long pressure then followed on the Everton citadel and, after several attempts had been made to break through, Perry scored, Menham having to chance with the shot. Reader who had twisted his knee, now left the field, but with diminished forces the home lot played up in determined fashion to the end, but could not reduce the lead, and Everton won by 4 goals to 1.

January 18 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
At Goodison Park, in fine weather. Middleton won the toss, Banks kicking off for Everton in the presence of 3,000 spectators. Everton forced the game, but were met by a stubborn defence, and no score was registered at half time. On resuming, Middleton improved wonderfully, and the feature of the match was the brilliant exposition of goalkeeping given by Jenkinson the visiting custodian. Result Everton reserves 1 Middleton nil. Everton: - Palmer (j), goal, Barker (g), and Molyneux (g) backs, Nash, Hughes (e), and Robertson (j), halfbacks, Williams (w) Maley (w), Banks (h), Cameron (j), and Schofield (a) forwards.

January 18 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton still continue their triumphant career, and by their recent fine performances they now occupy a position that at one time during the season appeared well nigh impossible for them to attain. Saturday's game furnished the sixth successive league victory, half the number having been secured on opponents grounds, so that the return to form early in December was set as some captious critics had said a more flash in the pain. On Saturday last there were many who doubted the ability of the team to return from West Bromwich with full points, for one never knows what may happen when the Throstles get into one of their old strides. Indeed, the first half of the game did not by any means points towards victory for Everton, for although the latter were cleverly the latter were clearer exponents, and played a more taking game they were often driven back as the result of the adoption of purely opposite methods of the home team. The Albion forwards rarely indulging in anything like free and concerned action, Kicked the ball ahead and, a Bolton Wanderers of yore, made desperate efforts to upset the equilibrium of the Everton backs, and it was generally conceded that if they were a less resourceful team they were nevertheless more dangerous this portion of the game. After the resumption, the Everton forwards were in a more deadly vein, while the home front evidently labored under the heavily pace of the initial stage. At time the Everton forwards completely overran the home backs and when once they did put the ball into the net they fairly carried all before then for about a quarter of an hour during which they scored rapidly still their victory of goals goals to one rather overestimates the general run of the play, for with the exception of the afore mentioned interval they were never thoroughly out of the wood. An unfortunate accident to reader, who twisted his knee, left the Throstles a men short during the last ten minutes of the game, but as id often the case the reduced forces were than more aggressive than at any other period. Three out of the four Everton goals were credited to Taylor, but at the same time it must be inferred that his confrere were at all below par. The whole line played a most unselfish game throughout, and that movements and pedipuation of the ball were alike generally admired. When Chadwick and Milward had little prospect of getting within aim of Reader, for Perry was always a close attendant the ball deftly placed to the right, and in the second half with beneficial results. The halfbacks too, were on the whole good. Boyle played a grand game in the first portion, when Holt was not at his best, but in the second period there could be no mistaking the fact that the trio were a most formidable barrier to the inroads of the home forwards. Storrier was rather ill at ease for some time, after the start, but on settling down he gave a sound display as also did Arridges and the Albion wingers, who had a fairly good turn of speed, must have been astonished at the cool way they were thwarted by the pair, whenever they happened to obtain the measure of the halves. Menham gave a capital performance in goal, and a pleasing feature of his play was that he cleared the ball in most able fashion. The West Bromwich halves were really the mainstays of the team, and rearely indeed has Parry played a more successive game. Chadwick and Milward for a lengthy period could make but little headway against him, and his placing of the ball to his forwards was well timed, and remarkably true. Higgins, the centre half, also played a great game, as Hartley will no doubt admit, but Banks fell away in the second half when Bell and Taylor ran round him with the greatest of ease. Dean the outside right, who filled Bassett's place did remarkably well and is no novice in the art of centring the ball, a remark that also applies to Watson on the left, and had Flewitt been well up it was odds on more than one point, being notched in the first half. Williams, as usual kicked powerfully and once, from his own half compelled Menham to save an ugly dropping shot. Evans also decided well and Reader, before he met with Injury, got through his work with credit. Taking the play all round, it reached a fairly high standard, despite the greasy nature of the turf, and through, as mentioned above, Everton had the greater measure of the nicer points of the game, they were lucky to win so pronounced a margin. On Saturday next the Everton team will be engaged in cup hunting, and it is generally admitted that they will have a heavy task, at Deepdale in the second round of the Lancashire cup. There should be no misgiving upon this point, for the team were never in better trim than at present, and if the issue is to depend to any great degree upon staying powers, the Blues should pass comfortably into the next stages of the competition.

January 21, 1897. The Courier & Argus
The Glasgow League tier between the Celtic and Clyde was not very notable for good play, but when we saw Jim Hannah and Dan Doyle shaking hands with each other we could not help casting out memory back to the time when the pair stood together under the colours of the royal blue of Everton, and formed about the finest back division a club has ever owned. At the end of the season Doyle and Hannah shook hands with each other and the club, and since then their waves have lain very diverent. Hannah captained the Liverpool for a couple of years, and then returned to Old Renton and did duty for a couple of years at Tontine Park. He then gave up the game, but a few months ago Clyde dragged him from his retirement, and he had the pleasure or otherwise of facing an old companion in arms. There was a marked difference in the physique, Doyle having weathered the storm much the better of the two.

January 25 1897. The Liverppol Mercury
Lancashire Senior Cup
There teams met at Preston on Saturday, there being close upon 12,000 spectators present. The occasions was the first meeting between the clubs this season for they have yet to bring off their League games hence the well packed enclosure. Boyd was unable to resume his accustomed position in the North End teams, and this caused a rearrangement of the forwards, whilst Everton were at their best. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Storrier, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart halfbacks, Taylor, Bell, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milkward, forwards. Preston North End: - Trainor, goal, Dunn, and Holmes, backs, Blyth, Sanders, and Orr, halfbacks Smith, Pratt, Brown, Stevenson, and Henderson, forwards. Everton started uphill, and at once visited Trainor, out the home left brought about a change of venue, and Henderson looked particularly dangerous when Storrier cleverly dispossessed him. The other end was quickly reached, and a fine sequence of passing which led up to obtaining the position was unfortunately spoiled by Taylor sending over, the bar, although he had little opposition. A fruitless corner followed, and then Sanders had to leave the field owing to collision, and against ten men the visiting team pressed pretty severity Chadwick almost found the net with a quick, low shot that went slightly wide, and then the North End forwards got away. A free kick was obtained against Storrier, and Orr placing the ball beautifully unto the goalmouth, Stevenson headed past Menham play having been in progess 20 minutes. Immediately afterwards Henderson looked like forging further ahead, when Arridge got smartly across and cleared brilliantly, this being followed by a smart attack on Trainor charges. Dunn and Holmes were however, in great form, and time after time kept the Everton van out. At length Taylor was in a fine position. When Holmes badly charged him, and from the free kick the ball came out of a scrimmage to Bell, who promptly equalised. This success was the signal for a sustained attack y the Everton forwards and and frequently it looked odds on Everton would take the lead. And at the interval the score was a goal each. The second half opened in fairly even fashion and after Hartley had put wide. Taylor ran the ball down, and sent in a clever shot, which tested's Trainor to the full. Immediately following Stevenson put in a fine high shot, which Menham justed reached and one further return Saunders met the rebound from a free kick and drove hard into the net after a quarter of an hour's play. With North End thus leading, prospects were none too promising for Everton but they struck to their work well, and it was quite patent that they were gradually obtaining the measure of their opponents. After several attempts to get equal terms, Bell headed a curling shot into the net from a free kick, which had been capitally placed by Stewart. A determined struggle for the leading point now centred, and both sides had chances, which were badly utilised. Everton on the whole maintained the upper hand, but could not break through, the defence of Holmes, and Dunn, and when the end came the score stood 2 goals each.

Extre time was played, and the visitors opened with a fine attack on Trainor. A free kick given against Holt look dangerous, but fortunately Arridge got his head in the way of a long drive, and with Everton gradually wearing down their opponents, the first quarter arrived, but without score. On returning around Taylor lost a nice chance as he lay well up, and only had Trainor to beat but he shot into the custodian's hands, only to see the home right running down the field in the direction of Menham. Storrier and Arridge were now playing a great game, and kept the ball well up. Still there was every likelihood of the game resulting in a draw, as the last minute had been reached, when Bell got possession, and with a strong run, justed struggled past the back, and scored and Everton winning by 3 goals to 2.

January 25 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
This friendly match was played at Goodison Park. The ground was covered with snow, and very slippery. In the first half, Darwen had rather the best of play, and scored through Lees. Everton tried hard to qualised, but were unable to penetrate Darwen defence and Darwen winning by a goal to nil. Everton: - Palmer goal, Meechan (p), and Barker, backs, Hughes Meiklejohn, and Robertson, halfbacks Williams, Conway, Cameron, Campbell, and Schofield, forwards.

January 25 1897. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton accomplished a very fine performance in visiting Preston North End and defeating that club in the Lancashire Cup competition by three goals to two. Rarely has a contest been so keenly fought, and up to a last minute of play was the issue trembling in the balance. The vicissitudes of fortune during the match were most remarkable. At one time the Evertonians appeared to have the game well in hand as they played all over like a winning team, when to the counternation of their supporters that made the journey to Preston like proceedings were reversed in quite as marked a manner. Again asserting themselves, the upper hand was maintained only for them to be again despoiled, and so matters ran topsy turvy to the close of the game. When the score stood two goals each. An attempt was made to have the match replayed at Goodison Park, but Mr. Fox the referee, was fully contribiant of the rules in connection, with the Lancashire Cup competition, and as there was no militating influence as far as the light was concerned, he decided upon extre time. Here was Everton's opportunity for towards the close of the second half they had unquestionably obtained the measure of the North Enders, was palpably tired, with the result that the Everton forwards cut out the pace during the extra 30 minutes, and fully deserved the wining point through this was not forthcoming until the last minute of play. This was brought about by as magnificent individual efforts on the part of Bell, who received the ball at the rear of the North End halves, and set off on a long run. Racing between the backs for dribbled the backs for dribbled. close up to Trainor, and then placed the ball accurately into the net just at time was up. On the day's play, Everton were the better team, and what odds greatly to their favour is that they were able to stay the pace so well. In this particular respect they have simply been peerless during the last couple of months, and it is a difficult matter indeed regardless of venue to point to the club that can rob then of the honours of holding, at any rate, the Lancashire Cup this season. Reverting to the games under notice the play did not aftain an exceptionally high standard, particular among the forwards, but this is only to be expected in competitions of the character, for in cup ties keenness is always's dominant feature at the expense of attractive play. The movements of the Everton quintet had more finish about them than those of their opponents. The attempts at combination by the North Enders at times were very painfully weak, and perhaps much of this was due to the absence of Boyle, who is not yet sufficiently recovered. to join his confreres. As usual the Everton right wing was most aggressive, and Bell must be complimented on scoring the three goals. His partner Taylor, was for once in a way faulty in final efforts, and this remark aptly applies to the remaining forwards who spoiled, who spoiled their otherwise good work in the field by poor showing. On the North End side Henderson was certainly the most dangerous forwards, and the effects of the others, who suffered from lack of support from the centre were puecils to a marked degree. Halfbacks play on both sides was very good indeed it might safely be said that the whole contest was in the main a battle between the respective trios, and there was little to choose between them at the finish. There was no inequality apparent in the visitors play, but on the other side Saunders was the most successful, as in addition to safe tackling, be never lost an opportunity of testing Menham and on one occasion with the desired. Storrier and Arridge played a sound game, and improved wonderfully as the play progessed, while Menham in goal kept his charge with good judgement. The North End defence was also a strong point, for there was no defeating Holmes and Dunn in close quarters and Trainor gave one of his best expositions between the sticks. Four of the five goals record were from free kicks, and the placing of the ball that led up to these points, together with some fine judgement in the goalmouth, were some of the highest bits of the game, Everton have a fairly easy task on hand next Saturday in the English Cup competition, but as the same time, we may expect to be a big crowd present to show their appreciation of their efforts of the team to bring high honours to Liverpool.

Dundee Courier - Thursday 28 January 1897
The Football days of James Adams, the ex-Everton-Hearts back, are clearly on the wane. No one need be surprised at this, for adams has been playing in first-class football for about twleve years now. Anyhow, the St. Bernards think he has enough vim in him yet.