October 1896


October 5 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The meeting of these rival clubs on Saturday, at least drew together upwards of 40,000 spectators, and the gate receipts of £1150 add will probably stand as a record for inter club matches, for years to come. Never before were the teams so evenly matched, for both had done uncommonly well in their engagements up to date, and the prospect of an encounter, the settlement of which would probably be trembling in the balance up to the final whistle, indared these half hearted supporters of the code to throw off for once their lethargy and betake themselves early in the well appointed enclosures. It was a game in which the spectators might be said to play an important part owing to partisanship, and the cheering as their respective favorites made an appearance was simply deafening. Both sides relied upon the same teams that had preformed on the previous Saturday, and a few minutes before four o'clock they faced in the following order: - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Storrier, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Bell. Taylor, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Liverpool: - Storer, goal, Goldie, and Wilkie, backs, McCartney, McQue, and Holmes, halfbacks, McVean, Ross (captain), Allen, Becton, and Bradshaw, forwards. A rousing cheer went up as Stewart won the toss, and the first item on merit after the initial exchanges was a grand run and centre by Bell, and immediately following Stewart shot into Storer's hands, thus giving early indication of a stern encounter. A couple of free kicks greatly assisted the Liverpoolians for the ball hovered dangerous round Brigg's charge, and it was not until Stewart nipped in with a timely kick that the Everton rearguard breated freely. Almost immediately afterwards strong pressure was brought to on Goldie and Wilkes, who met the attack coolly but eventually Arridge pounced upon the ball and sent in a grand shot the clearance of which, at once showed that Storer was in magnificent form. Goldie charged down a fine effort from Bell, and after Bradshaw had failed to get the better of Boyle the ball was placed well across to Milward, who with his partner, looked like bringing about downfall when the inside man unfortunately passed too strongly forwards, and unable Goldie to clip in with a kick that resulted in Allan, Ross, and McVean getting away in a fine combined movement, but when reaching dangerous quarters the tactics of the Everton halfbacks, were too well directed to cope with, and under the circumstances it would undoubtedly have benefited the ‘'Reds'' had they opened out the play to a greater extent than they did. A corner off Wilkes was safely got away and good work on the part of Holmes resulted in a further visit to Briggs, McVean eventually heading in, the custodian was on alert, and the ball was cleared from a foul against Ross in the goalmouth and in close following Bell got round Holmes and gave Hartley a chance to open the account, but it was not put to advantage, though the same winger a minute later centred beautifully, and Milward headed into the net eleven minutes from the start. Play had scarely been resumed when Storer was again in straits for a dangerous scrimmage took place immediately in front of him, and as Hartley was lying in wait, an easy goal was recorded. This second reverse caused the visitors to alter their style of attack and not many minutes had elapsed are the change bore good fruit. Play opened out, and Ross, sent in a fine long shot, and it looked odds on the margin being narrowed, as Hartley was penalised close in. Boyle came to the rescue, but yet another opening presented itself to the Liverpoolians, and a certain goal would have been registered had not Ross and Allan got in each other's way. About this period fouls were frequently, and as a result play was quickly at each end in turn. Becton put in a wild shot, and then Chadwick sent in one of his characteristic screws, in the negotiation of which Storer displayed capital judgement. From this point on to half time there could be no mistaking the earnestness of the Liverpool players, and had they had a little luck they would probably not have to mourn the deficit of a couple of goals at the interval. One shot from Allan grazed the bar, and in the closing stages Bradshaw centred grandly, but no one was up to notch an almost certain goal. On resuming, the Liverpool forwards went off with a rush and forced their first corner, and within a few minutes McVean and Becton missed scoring by the merest shave, but success followed a fine bit of judgement on the part of McCartney who placed the ball across to Bradshaw who in turn parted to Ross, with the result that the last named ran clean through, and sent in a shot which, screwed off Briggs arm into the net, six minutes from the restart. There was no holding the Liverpool supporters, who spurted on their favourites vociferously, and as Holmes, McQue and McCartney were an almost impassable barrier to the Everton van there ware early prospects of levelling up. The first named was especially clever in dealing with the Everton right wing pair, and in addition he attended to his forwards admirably, one of his touches to his skipper almost causing a further downfall of Everton. A long spell of pressure ended in Hartley getting away, and for some minutes excitement ran right, as no fewer than four free kicks in a many minutes were awarded, Everton, all in close quarters, but all were cleared well, though shortly afterwards Bell missed an easy chance from Milward. McVean doing likewise at the other end and, towards the close Holt put in a fine long shot, which called for Storer's best efforts, and an attempt by Goldie just missed the mark, as the ball struck the bar. With Liverpool still pressing, the end of a hard fought game was reached with the score Everton 2 goals Liverpool 1.


October 3, 1896. Wrexham Advertiser

Played at Everton, on Saturday. For Wrexham Townsend played at back instead of Ellis, who had injured his foot, and B. Lewis appeared amongst the forwards. Everton scored four times during the first half, ball not being seen at his best in goal. In the second half Pugh opened the scoring for Wrexham, and the home team replied with one. J.E. Jones hot another for Wrexham, and then evidently aroused by the cheering news which had arrived of the victory of Everton over Aston Villa, the home eleven carried all before them, and put two more goals, the final score being: Everton, seven goals; Wrexham, two. The Wrexham team was as follows: - Ball, goal; J. Jones and Townsend, backs; Lloyd, Robinson and Harrison, half-backs; Pugh, J.E. Jones, J. Hughes, B. Lewis, and A. Williams, forwards.



October 5 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Never in the history of local football has such a widespread feeling of intense interest been aroused as was engendered by the meeting of Liverpool's premier organistations in their stern struggle for temporary supremacy a feeling which, awakened it the season's inception acquired a substantial stimulator from each club's weekly contest, and reached its climax amidst surroundings which, worthily befitted the occasion. At an early hour the streets tending towards the scene of combat presented an animated appearance, and at the time appointed for the commencement of hostilities draw near the through fares simply swarmed with pedestrians and vehicles traffic to such an usuasual extent that even the most causal observer must have in larded some extraordinary event. Despite the specious accommodation provided at the well appointed Goodison Park enclosure, hundreds of would be spectators had perforce to return unable to gain admission, which amongst those fortunate to enter there were hundreds more who would only hear how the game progressed. The ground was in beautiful condition, having undergone a special preparation for the great event, and perfection seemed to have been attained in this respect. The weary hour of waiting prior to the commemement of the match were entertained in a pleasant manner by listening to the music of the band belonging to the Beacon lane orphanage, the boys afterwards witnessing the contest from the press enclosure. It was under conditions of this nature that Stewart led his men to the field amidst ringing cheers, which increased in intensity when Ross followed with his brightly-attired warriors. What a magnificent slight presented itself when the allens bush which immediately preceded the initial propulsion from the foot of Allan pervaded the hugh assemblage. The faces of the vast concourse were fixed on the little band of men surrounding the leather sphere and the game had not been in progess very long ere the partisans of each side were afforded much food for cogitation. The Evertonians commenced in dashing style, the forwards and halves appecting to reach the highest point of excellence straight away from the kick off, and Storer was early in evidence in repelling a hot shot from Stewart. The Everton players were full of spirit and confidence, and the movements were characteristic by that degree of precision which let all ideas of nervousness entirely unwarranted. Their passing was as near perfectious as possible and they made for goal in the most approved style. On the other hand, Liverpool players-forwards halves, and backs were completely at sea, and were utterly unable to do anything worthy of their reputation. The forwards were slow and devoid of combination, and when opportunity did arise they were at a loss how to ultilise it, whilst their passing often lost ground then gained it, and the Everton halves found it a matter of little difficulty to keep their forwards well employed. Two goals to nil in the first quarter of an hour was somewhat of a slaggerer for the Anfield partisan, but this result indicated truly the aspect of the game up to this point for Everton were playing their best game whilst Liverpool were showing their worst form. It was scarely to be expected that Liverpool would continue their tantalising methods of dallying with the ball although out the game, and towards the end of the first half they gave a glimpse of what they were going to do in the second portion. Their wing men were furnished with chances, after being dreadfully neglected in the early stages of the contest, and the backs steadying themselves, showed a little of their real merit. Still, in looking at the first half alone, It must be candidly admitted that there was only one team in it and that not Liverpool. The latter was simply left standing by the fleet footed Evertonians and even the most railed Liverpoolians must have felt astounded at his team's display. Whether it was nervousness or inferiority certain it is that never were they so completely bottled up as in the first 40 minutes of the first half of Saturday's game. The question agitating the onlookers on resuming, was whether the improved form of the visitors would be substantiated in the latter half, or was their expiring effort in the first portion, but a mere flash in the pan. It is, therefore from a Liverpool point of view, a real pleasure to be able to record that the former of these anticipations were most successfully relived, and it was almost impossible to recognise the men who had done so poorly in the previous half. They threw off their listlessness and both the defence and attack were more in accordance with their best radiations. When at length Ross, after a magnificent individual sprint through the backs, decreased the margin by one goal, with a grand shot, it was felt that it was but a just reward for their improved efforts. To face a deficit of two goals in any contest is a heavy task, and in a game in which local rivalry is so largely developed a debit balance at this nature has an important influences on the result. Looked at in the light, that Liverpool players deserve great praise for their pluck and determination, and they had chances in the second half that might easily have made the game a draw under circumstances of a less exciting nature. Everton had another spell of attacking, and were aided by numberous fouls, but the opposing defence was impenetrable, and Liverpool took up the running to the finish, but were unable to obtain an equaliser, despite their desperate endeavors. Although defeated they retrieved their reputation in the second half, in no half hearted fashion, and one cannot help wondering what would have resulted had they shown anything approaching their true form in the first portion. Everton played the correct game-one which was bound to bring goals- though their second score was almost presented to them, and should have been easily cleared. Considering the excitement amongst players and spectators alike, the game was amost interesting one, fast and open, and the result proves that there is little to chose between the teams when seen at their best. Everton had a big pull in the first half, whilst Liverpool had the advantage of the second, but the former ultised their chances successfully whilst the latter were less fortunate. The winners however, enlisted to their victory, whilst the result should give a fillip to the return at Anfield next month, if such an impulse be at all necessary.


BURNLEY 2 EVERTON 1 (Game 218)

October 12 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The opening game of the season between these clubs took place at Burnley, before an attendance of some 3,000 spectators. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Storrier, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Bell, Taylor, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Burnley, Trainor, goal, Reynolds, and McLintock, backs, Place sen, Nichol, and Taylor, halfbacks, Cambers, Hill, Robertson, Bowes, and Place jun, forwards. Everton opened the way, and at once made for the Burnley end, where a heavy pressure was kept up for some minutes. McLintock and Reynolds were steady defenders and eventually Bowes relieved the monotony with a sprint down the home left only to find Storrier quite competent to keep his position. Then followed a further pressure on Tatham charge, and Chadwick and Hartley both had chances, but shot badly. On the play again opening out the whole Burnley into broke off, and a swinging pass from the left to the right wing resulted in Chambers defeating Briggs with a excellent shot, nine minutes from the start. This unlocked for success put the Burnley supporters on good terms with themselves, but a different compicious should almost immediately have been put upon the game, as the Everton forwards were again swarming round the goal, and how they failed to score was little short of marvellous. At length the home let got well under weigh, and Hill sent in a fine screw shot, which Briggs only partial reached and as Boyle had been grassed there was practically an open goal for Robertson about a couple of yards from the mouth luckily Boyle, while lying on the ground got the ball away, but immediately afterwards Place Jun sent in a couple of shoots, the second being kept out at the expense of a corner. This was well taken, and Nichol almost brought about downfall, as the ball rebounded from the upright. Burnley now pressed severely, and for fully seven minutes they were occupied in testing Briggs and taking a corner kicks until at last Milward and Chadwick took up the running, which looked like ending profitably, when the Burnley Taylor came across from the left-and put a check a further progess. Later Nichol took a free kick and placed the ball to Taylor who drove hard at Briggs. The custodian partly cleared, and Bowes rushed up and put the ball through, playing having been in progess half an hour. Getting to work again, Everton played up in determined fashion, and Bell put in a couple of clever shots, which were well got away, but despite all efforts the interval arrived without further scoring. On resuming Everton got off quickly, but their opponents were as determined, and play aftermated rapidly from end to end. Hill sent to a clever shot, and then Chadwick got away, and as Arridges was beaten there was as if then between Robertson and Briggs for possession, and the custodian was only just up in time to clean. McLintock was penalised for tripping Bell, and a heavy bombardment of the Burnley goal followed, but fortunate was denied, the visitors and Reynold ultimately cleared after Chadwick had sent in a shot which appeared likely to take effect. Milward was also to the fore with a fine rush and shot, the latter unfortunately having too much elevation. Bell, who had gone inside right, led on a further attack and Burnley were just now having an anxious time. Kicking out, and otherwise wasting time were not frequent methods, and with regard to the latter, Place senior was more than nice spoken to by the referee for trespassing in this particular direction. Eventually Stewart tried a long shot which, went into the net at the corner, and after this success, his side played up with redoubled energy. A consultation with the linesmen with regard to the light resulted in the game being proceeded with, but a few minutes later the referee ordered the men off as it was impossible to follow the play. After a quarter of an hour's delay, the game was continued under if anything bad conditions, and as the remaining six minutes had been unproductive of menacing, Burnley won a hard game by 2 goals to 1.



October 12 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

There must surely be some depressing influence at work on occasions when Everton visit Burnley for almost without exception the Goodison Park folk have reached only a moderate standard of efficiency, when on the Turf Moor enclosure, and their failure on Saturday, following as it did upon their successes over Liverpool, and Aston Villa, must have come as a big surprise to the numerous supporters of the club. Burnley as its best is not exactly an ideal spot for one to single out as his destination for the afternoon, and as the game was contested under the most miserable elemental conditions, the question of stern business rather than pleasure was never more forcibly exemplified. Towards the close of the game the sky assured a leaden hue, and the lowering efouds tinestened to bring about a premature ending to the game, in fact the light was so bad that the ball could not be seen from comparatively close quarters, and its locality was only dissemble in the movements of those players who were engaged in the race for possession. The referee about 15 minutes from the close discussed, with the linesmen the advisability of proceeding with the game, and it was decided to go on with it; but six minutes from full time finding it impossible to follow the ball with any degree of accuracy, the referee was compelled to face the inevitable and the players retired. Most of the spectators were than under the impression that the game had been abandoned, and they left the field, but a quarter of an hour later, after considerable pressure had been bought to bear upon Mr. Dale by the Burnley instingers, the game was resumed and completed under even more interesting influences for, by this time, in addition to the darkness the rain came down in torrent. Of course the Burnley people were quite within their rights, and at the time their prospective victory sparred then on in the direction of having the game brought to a definite issue; and the referee was within his but in the true interest of sport like, a question as to weather he noted discretely in the matter. Everton were beaten by two goals to one, and this result ought have been easily revered had their forwards taken advantage of comparatively ease chances in the first quarters of an hour of play. During this period the teams appeared likely to win with a considerable margin, for the backs were all right, and the forwards worked the ball down in such skilful fashion, but their final efforts in the initiate stages of the proceedings were almost particular as could imagine. On three occasions there was no opposition and goals were missed in uninteresting fashion. Subsequently in the latter stages was, however, the Burnley custodian was in good trim, Another disappointing feature from an Everton point of view was the failure of the front line, portions of the first half; both Bell and Taylor were most assiduously neglected while the brunt of the work devolved upon Chadwick and Milward, and in the second portion the right wing was worked at the expense of the left. On the other hands the Burnley forwards, after recovering from the early failure, played in more combined fashion, and their characteristic rushes often placed the Everton. defenders in dirastrats. It was from a sudden spurt that they were enabled to open their account, and nothing could have been finer than the shot that found the mark. Milward and Chadwick were always good when the ball came their way and it was from this quarter most danger threatened, though when Bell and Taylor were in possession, it took all the efforts of Place senior and Reynolds to keep them in check. The opposing half pretty closely marked Hartley, and the failure to distribute the work and keep the wings together was unfortunately; rather pronourned. The halfbacks worked hard, and their efforts were worthy of better results. Indeed the halfback play on both sides was distinctly good, and in this department none got through hardly and more finished work than the Everton skipper. Holt often kept Robertson well in check, but he was also often beaten, as the centre was not energetic in his attention to his wings. Storrier and Arridge were good and moderate by turns, and Briggs on the whole, gave a capital exhibition in goal. He appeared thoroughly deceived by the first shot, which was a high curling one, and the second recorded against him was obtained in very close quarters without him having the slightest opportunity to clear. The Burnley team, to a man were downright hard plodders, and their play was not unmixed with several brilliant passages. As stated above, the forwards indulged in his kick and rush business and as Bolton Wanderers of yore, and where the ball dropped there was almost invariably one of their number up to pounce upon it. Both their goals were the outcome of sudden rushes of these descriptions, but taking the van on the whole they were a better-balanced lot than their opponents. Hill put in many fine touches of play, and the wingmen were speedy and clever in working out their own particular lines of action. The halfbacks were also good, Taylor on the right being a most conspicuous figure by effective work extenting over the whole of the game. Reynolds and McLintock always cleared well, and Tatham in goal gave one of his very best displays. Summing up it was a fairly interesting game, and as the Burnley men made use of their chances where Everton lost them, no one could begrudge them their victory.


October 19, 1896. The Sheffield Independent.

United Still Winning.

In the First League Match ever played by Sheffield United the wearers of the red and whit gained a victory over Everton at Goodison Park, but last season the Sheffielders suffered a severe reverse on the same ground. Amongst the band of followers who travelled with the team to Liverpool on Saturday the opinion was freely expressed that the Sheffielders would avenge last years defeat, and the players themselves entered on their task with every confidence. The unbeaten record had the effect of bringing together a rattling good gate, and there would be between 16,000 and 18,000 spectators present. An hour before the kick-off the weather was damp and miserable, but this did not deter the ardent supporters of the toffee-man, and fortunately for all concerned the weather cleaned up when the game commenced. The ground appeared in grand condition, and a fast and exciting game was witnessed. The Liverpool spectators appeared confident of the ability of their favourities to be the first to lower the colours of their opponents, and greeted them with a ringing cheer as they stepped into the field. The United evidently were not without supporters, and also received an ovation from the crowd. The captains having tossed, Everton choice of ends, but there was very little advantage gained thereby. The opening stages of the game was fairly even, but gradually the United forwards got into their shride, and when once warmed to their work gave the opposing defence very little rest. Crisp, sharp, and accurate passing by the whole of the front rank, splendid backing up by the halves, and sound defence by the backs denoted the play of the visitors. Cheers from all parts of the ground greeted their dashing display, and Briggs on several occasions saved wonderfully well. But it was the Everton half-back's who bore most of the burden of the defence, and their display cannot be too highly commended under the circumstances. The game had been in progress fully twenty minutes before the visitors opened their account, and the manner in which the downfall of the Everton goal was brought about elicited hearty applause all round the ground. It was a cleverly worked for goals, and although Hammond scored the point there was just as much credit due to his confreres. After this the game was fairly even, though if anything, the Sheffielders were the more dangerous. Whittam was penalised for what appeared a legitimate charge, and from this point the play of the United right full back deteriorated considerably, through at times he did some brilliant things. At half-time Sheffield were leading by one goal to none, and their supporters felt quite satisfied with the state of things, on resuming, the visitors still further increased their lead in less than five minutes, Priest beating Briggs with a grand shot, although hampered by Stewart. From this point however the play of the Sheffielders fell off considerably, and though they were frequently dangerous with their sudden rushes, Everton had considerably the best of the game. At one time the players on both sides appeared to have a decided tendency to play the man instead of the ball, and the referee, who was scarcely firm enough with the men, had a warm time of it. When Everton scored from the free kick, the partisans nearly went wild with joy, and urged by the shouts of their supporters they tried with great desperation to get on level terms. But it was no use, although they had one or two of the simplest chances possible, they could not get the ball past Foulkes. A few minutes before the close Almond got one past Briggs, but the whistle went for off-side, in the end United left the field two points richer than when they started, and up to now have a proud consciousness of knowing they are the only unbeaten team in the League. Everton having won, the toss, Almond kick-off or the United. A foul for hands, in midfield, against the visitors was easily got away, but immediately after, from a throw in, by Stewart, danger was threatened to Foulkes' goal, Cain eventually clearing with a good kick. A smart bit of work by Hammon, who cleverly tricked holt, gave Priest a chance and that player centring accurately Boyle had to concede a corner, but this got away very quickly. Immediately following this another corner was conceded by Stewart. Needham took the place kick, and dropped the ball accurately in front of goal, only to see Briggs fist away in grand style. A free kick to Everton in midfield was headed out of danger by Whittam, and then a grand run by the whole of the visitor's front rank caused the home defence some trouble, but the ball was eventually forced over the line. From the goal-kick play was transferred to the United half, and a mis-kick by Whittam gave Cameron a good openings, but Foulke cleared in the coolest possible manner. A clever bit of work by Howell saved a certain corner, but from a throw-in the Sheffield citadel was in danger, though easily averted. For a few minutes Everton had rather the best of matters, and once from a free kick for hands Storrier put the ball in the net without touching a second player. Once more chance did the, Evertonians have. A smart bit of passing by the whole of the forwards saw Foulkes save grandly at full length, and then Milward shot wildly outside. From the goal kick for a trip against Holt was conceded there, but this was put to no good use. Bell was trying a run on his own when Needham dashed up and robbed him cleverly. The visitors now showed up very well, and put in great pressure. Stewart, Arridge, Boyle and Briggs defended well, however, though on more than one occasion they were a trifle lucky. Milward got away by himself, but his final shot went harmlessly outside. From this point the United, who been showing grand form, fairly walked round their opponents. Pretty and unselfish passing by the United forwards was applauded, but they generally just missed the goal at the finish although several shots were very near the mark. From a goal kick to Everton the visitors got on the ball, and a clever pass by Henderson to Yates saw the latter centre right across the goal mouth, and Hammond, dashing up at the right moment, scored a splendid goal after 22 minute's play, this success being received with much cheering. After this reverse Everton attacked, but there was not much method in it, and soon the United were again swarming round Brigg's fortress. The home custodian had to save twice in quick succession. Play then ruled even for a few minutes, but Yates getting a good pass from Henderson, sent in a grand shot, which Briggs only just managed to get to on his knees, and was compelled to gave a corner to save. This, however, was not improved upon, and another corner to the same side immediately after was likewise void of fruition. As halt-time approached the play became faster and more exciting than at any other part of the game. For a time the United defence had all their work cut out to keep their opponents at bay. Cameron was doing good work in the centre, as did also Bell and Taylor. Holt and the other half-backs showed up well in breaking up the attack of their opponents, and feeding their own. The pressure was at length relived by the visitors half-backs, and a pretty combined run by the United front rank looked dangerous, but again Briggs saved smartly with several opponents rushing towards him. Half time was soon afterwards called with the game in the following condition: -

Everton 0, Sheffield United 1 goal.

On restarting, Everton at once went to the front, and from a rather weak save by Foulkes, the ball was again returned, and Milward missed a very simple chance of equalising, kicking over the bar when only about a yard from the goalmouth. From the goalkick the United were soon pressed again, and after being repulsed a sudden dash by them fairly took the Evertonians by surprise, with the result that priest, gaining possession, put in a good sprint, and although hampered somewhat by Stewart, he got in his shot, which proved too good for Briggs, who fell in his endeavour to save. The goal was a really goodone, although there was some appeal for offside, which was not entertained by the referee. This occurred four minutes after the restart, and put Sheffielders on good terms with themselves. The Everton players were not fully aware of the desperate position in which they were placed, and evidently placed themselves up to recover the lost ground. Boyle, Holt and Stewart were doing any amount of work at half-back, while both Storrier and Arridge were safer at back than in the first half. Cameron was giving his wings plenty of openings, and they were not slow to avail themselves of the opportunities given them. Milward and Chadwick did some tricky work, but Bell and Taylor caused the most trouble. Several bouts took place on Whittams' wing, and that player more than once was spoken to by the referee. A determined attack on the visitor's goal saw Foulke save well, but a moment later he only partially stopped a terrific shot from the right wing, and as the ball struck the upright and rolled almost on to the line, several Everton players rushed up to put it through, but Whittam just got there in the pick of time, and kicked away. Another break away by the visitors afforded temporary relief, but it was not long before the Evertonians were back again, Holt doing some clever things on the ball, for a few minutes it appeared as through the game had been forgotten, and several of the players were dashing about and charging without any visible cause. When the players again settled down to their work somewhat, it was quickly apparent that the home team were gradually gaining the ascendancy. Pretty work by the whole of the Everton forwards was spoiled through Chadwick and Milward coming into violent collision, and the latter had to retire for a few minutes. After this the home team still pressed, and once Foulkes saved well with several opponents close up. Then a serious misfortune befell the visitors. A free kick, was conceded Everton and Boyle taking accurate aim, shot for goal, Foulkes misjudging the ball, struck it hard onto the crossbar, from where it rebound into the net to the great delight of the Everton supporters. This occurred after 25 minutes' play, and there was still plenty of time to drew or even win the match. They got about their business in no half-hearted manner, but the visitors played a determined defensive game, in which the half-backs shone conspicuously. Howell was always bothering Chadwick and Milward, and frequently got the better of them when they thought they had a clean field. Morren was untiring in the centre, and Needham was brilliant on his wing. Although at times kicking wildly, both backs never flinched, and except that occasionally they left their goal too open, they would the Sheffielders could only get temporary relief and long kicking being the order of the day, the play deteriorated sadly. Once, however, Priest and Storrier had a struggle on the goal line, in which the Sheffielders came of victorious, and promptly banged the ball across the Everton goal mouth, where at least two of the United forwards clean missed the ball altogether, and thus lost a grand chance of further increasing their lead. After this the home team again took up the attack, and a fine centre by Taylor gave Milward a clear opening, but that player, dallying too long, had the ball kicked from his toe by Howell. A corner followed, and the visitors' goal had another narrow escape. Another break away by the United saw them have a corner conceded them, but Howell headed outside. Down to the other end dashed the Evertonians, and they also had a fruitless corner, while a minute later Foulke kicked away when hard pressed. The same custodian immediately after fisted away a grand shot from Cameron, and again relief was brought about by a burst away by the United forwards. Almond got possession, and going a few yards, shut hard and straight into the net, whereupon Mr. Green blew the whistle for offside, and the point was disallowed. Everton made another desperate attempt to gain the lead, but failed, and time was called leaving United victorious as follows. Everton 1 goal, Sheffield United 2 goals. Teams: - Everton: - Briggs, goal; Storrier and Arridge, backs; Boyle, Holt and Stewart, half-backs; Bell, Taylor, Q.R. Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulke, goal; Whittam and Cain, backs; Howells, Morren and Needham, half-backs; Yates, Henderson, Almond, Hammond, and Priest, forwards. Referee Mr. Green.


October 19 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

There would be close upon 15,000 spectators on the Goodison Park ground on Saturday, when the Sheffield United team paid their first visit to the district this season. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Storrier, and Arridges backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Bell, Taylor, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes, goal, Witham, and Cain backs, Howell, Morren, and Needham, halfbacks, Yates, Henderson, Almond, Hammond, and Priest, forwards. The Everrton forwards opened well and asked by free kicks against Henderson for fouling Stewart took up a good position, only to had the United defence a most stubborn one. Almond at length had the better of Holt and sent across to Priest who put in a capital centre, where Boyle cleared at the expense of a corner. This was saved, but another followed immediately afterwards, and Briggs was thus early called upon. At the other end Bell, justed failed to centre a fine cross shot by Chadwick, and as Henderson being again penalised Storrier put the ball into the net but without touching a player. Such splendid passing followed by Bell, Taylor, and Cameron, but the finishing efforts was feeble through had Chadwick been up as almost certain goal would have resulted. Up to this point the play had been fairly evenly divided, but the visitors resuming themselves, put on pressure, and for some little time Briggs was kept on tender hooks. The inside men got off at a rapid rate, and looked like opening their account who Storrier luckily pulled them up, but eventually the left wing broke away again and after Yates had supplemented on the right he passed smartly across again to Hammond, who easily defeated, Briggs after play had been in progess 23 minutes. Getting to work again the United strove harder than ever, but several stoppages for free kicks spoiled their efforts. Williams coming in for most punishment in this respect. Milward was several times rudely shaken, but he stuck to his work well, and a few minutes later Storrier tried a long shot, which Foulkes fisted away. Yates subsequently got in a fine shot, which was saved at the expense of a corner, and the Evertonians again took up the attack but as before finished up weakly. Witham at this point was cautioned for shady play, and closely following the interval was announced with the United leading by a goal to nil.

Immediately after resuming Boyle sent in a high shot which Foulkes cleared, but Bell fastened on the ball and parted to Milward, who missed scoring in a most unaccountable fashion. Then Priest raced off, and getting the better of Storrier sent in a shot which, Briggs failed to cope to negotiate this success happened five minutes after the restart. The Everton forwards were frightfully weak. In front of goal, and had a prominent to work the ball too far down only to be despoiled by Whitham and Cain, who were always on the alert. Boyle occasionally put in a long shot but the lengthy Foulkes was always on the spot. Eventually Bell got in a low shot, which the custodian failed to hold, and had the centre been up a certain goal would have been netted. Witham stepped into the breech and directly afterwards Chadwick unfortunately collided with his partner who was afterwards practically of little use. Everton were now having all the play, but scare they could not until Foulkes put the ball through his own goal from a free kick taken by Boyle. There were twenty minutes left for play and the locals set to in earnest fashion. Taylor put in a very smart run and passed to Milward, who had no appreciation and though he steadied himself be missed his kick, to the disappointment of the crowd. Washing time by kicking out were methods now adopted by fine Sheffielders, but the Evertonians struck gamely to their work, though the same ill luck that followed then all through flagged their footsteps, and the ball went anywhere but into the net. Nothing further was scored, and the United won a hard and rough game by 2 goals to 1.



October 19 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

At Barnton. The score at the interval was one goal each Elliott scoring Everton goal. McDonald scored twice in the second portion in the first ten minutes and Everton winning by 3 goals to 1. Team: - Menham, goal, Gordon, and Molyneux, backs Nash, Goldie and Elliott (captain) halfbacks, Williams, Campbell (w), Cafficorn Chadwick (j), Scholfield, forwards.



October 19 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

United was the better team despite their vigorous methods, and that they have only a false position in the League list was quite patent to those who witnessed the game. The Everton forwards were thwarted at every turn by the diminutive but extremely agile trio of United halves and it goes without saying that there was not a more solid line than that formed by Needham, Morren, and Howell. Did an Evertonians breast the ball in taking a pass one of the three variably met the rebound and were equally smart in taking the ball right from an opponent's toe-an acuminate which was not at all infrequent. Here in the secret of Everton's downfall at the contest though in the second half they had several chances to get at least on level terms. And the failure of the forwards to utilise them was quite as marked as in the game at Burnley on the previous Saturday. They pressed persistently in the latter half, but their final efforts were of a tantalizing elementary character, and Foulkes neatly always had plenty of time to negotiate shots at his charge. There was no such thing as close following up, and here again they threw away chances for Foulkes and the backs several times left themselves open to defeat by misjudging the ball, and smart rushing up would probably have put a far different complexion on the game. The only forward that was at all serviceable was Taylor, but none played up to their reputation. They appeared at times to be lying in wait for certainties, and the wily attention of the opposing halves left them little scope in the direction. For once in a way Holt was distinctly off colour, and his confreres, Stewart and Boyle were often hampered by the rushing tactics of the United wings, but Storrier and Arridges considering the ugly rushes frequently made upon their charge, acquitted themselves well. The first goal was however, the outcome of a weak effort on the part of Arridge, but his subsequently play was exceptionally smart and Briggs also got through his work well. The visitors played a forcible game, and as stated above, they stopped at nothing whereby they might obtain the least advantage. Their forwards in the first half played the inside game to a nicety, and with the wing men lying up they were always a source of danger when in possession of the ball. Almond was a good centre and Priest. Yates, and Hammond were always prominent, but whatever good work Henderson participated in was greatly discounted by an infusion of unnecessary force. The halves were distinctly good both in finding work for their forwards, and attending to the Everton van, while Withans and Cain were often called upon, and covered each other well. the former player, however, several times came under the ban of the referee, and he would have had no more then his deserved had he received marching orders for the very question, able tactics he adopted. Foulkes cleared well through at times he was lucky. Taking the team throughout they are a smart lot, and if they would directed their emergies more to the ball and less to the man they would have to be a very clever team to defeat them. During the progess of the game a collection was made on behalf of the unfortunate victims of the lighting fatality in Newsham Park and the amount reached the substantial sun of £24 1s 4d.


October 22, 1896. The Dundee Courier & Argus

A number of Everton directors are touring in Scotland at present. This remark is bound to be worth something to most of our leading clubs, as when those gentry cross the Border their mission is not exactly to view our Highland scenery. They are more in the line of spotting football talent and they are no chickens at this game of capturing.


October 22, 1896. The Dundee Courier & Argus

The demands of the business of football are about as serious as those of every day commercial life. Here we have Andy Hannah, the old Renton, Everton, and then Liverpool back, brought under the public gaze of football once more by the Clyde. In his day Hannah was the verp picture of a back, and his reputation still lives green both at Anfield and Goodison Parks, Liverpool. Returning to his native Renton three years ago, Hannah gave a helping hand now and then to the club of his boyhood; but last season it was thought he had permanently retired from the ring of which he was such an ornament. Money, however, is a very powerful lever in men's lives, and Andy trotted out all gay under the colours of Barrowfield. He played a good game against the Rangers, but he has a lot of adipose hanging about him. He looked uncomfortable now and again, but in the hands of the trainer he should even yet be able to give us a sample of his former greatness.


October 24, 1896. The Wrexham Advertiser.

At Barnton. In the first half Everton had two-thirds of the play, but shot miserably. Barnton scored the first. Elliott equalised, and the score at the interval was one each. Some clever defence was exhibited by Barnton in the second half, which was favourable to Everton, but whose shooting was still wretched. McDonald scored twice in the last two minutes. Final: - Everton three goals Barnton one goal.


October 26 1896. THE Liverpool Mercury

Rain had been falling copiously in Sheffield during the early morning, and the ground at Oliver Grove was consequently on the soft side. There were about 6,000 spectators present when the teams lined up in the following order: - Everton: - Briggs goals, Barker, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Campbell (WC) Milward Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Massey, goal Earp (captain), and Langley backs, Branston, Crawshaw, and Jamieson halfbacks, Bell (l), Ferrier, Davis, Brady (a) and Spikesley, forwards. Earp won the toss and had the assistance of a fair breeze. Play at once settled down in the Everton half, where Holt was unfortunate in fouling Brady the resulting free kick well taken by Langley, being the outcome of Sheffield's first goal, five minutes from the start. A spurt to the home end found Earp in magnificent tackling form. Play did not remain long in this quarter for Davies led on a movement to the Everton end, where Barker was none too comfortable on the sudden ground, and Spikesley having an opening notched a second gaol, both points having been obtained within ten minutes from the start. Getting to work again Bell and Chadwick made the running on the left, but Earp was on the alert and accounted for the inside man in clever fashion as an attempts was being made to test Massey. Meanwhile Crawshaw had been playing a fine centre half game, and constantly opened out chance for the forwards one of which would certainly have resulted in a further downfall to Everton had not Spikesley mulled what was apparently an open goal. Boyle was at times powerless against the home left, and was often beaten, but Holt had always to be reckoned with, and was invariably about when a sortie was made on Brigg's charge. Eventaully Milward raced off, and give a fine pass to Bell which finished up a trifle wide, and further play between this pair looked like ending successfully when the centre was pulled up for offside. A long cross pass from Brady to Bell gave Arridge trouble as he was too far up the field, but Barker nipped across only to find the ball strongly returned from Earp, whole efforts almost resulted in a score. A corner off Langley was worked away, and shortly afterwards the interval was announced with the Sheffield team leading by two goals to nil. On resuming the Everton forwards made for goal in determined fashion, and Chadwick finished up with a shot that Massey negoiated with difficulty. The home halves were now busy in directing their energies totally to the opposing fowards and in this they succeeded well, and once again Spikesley made off, and had the better of Barker, but his final effort was wide though almost immediately afterwards the same players showed the bar with clinkling shot that would have given Briggs no chance had the elevation been true. From the goal kick the Everton Bell got away, and tested Massey with a strong low shot only to find him safe, but not discouraged the Everton forwards swarmed round the home defence and had there been more recourse to combined play scoring must have taken place. As it was, the house were keen on individual work, and constantly hung round the Everton forwards who thus hampered were ready able to get in a decent shot. Campbell essayed a long shot, which Massey ably saved, and then a long pressure was brought to bear on Briggs charge. Barker and Arridges now clearing a excellent style, Spikesley from a pass by Brandon put the ball into the net but was ruled offside. Occasionally the Everton forwards broke away, but were rarely allowed to shoot. Ten minutes from time Milward headed into the net from a free kick placed by Stewart. Even play followed up to the last minute, when both Brady and Bell scored the final result being Wednesday 4 goals, Everton 1 goal.



October 26 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. The game was stubbornly contested in the first half, neither side scoring, but Rock Ferry who played against the wind and rain, held the advantage. The second half was evenly fought and 20 minutes from the start Everton scored. Shortly afterwards the visitors equalised and the final score was a goal each. Everton: - Menham goal, Barker (g), and Molyneux (g), backs, Nash, Meiklejohn, and Robertson (j), halfbacks Williams (w), McDonald (d), Chadwick (j), Elliott (j) (captain), and Schofield, forwards.



October 26 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton Club has surely lit upon troublous times. During the past three weeks the performances of the team have been anything but satisfactory, and they were probably never in a more helpless conditions than on Saturday last at Sheffield. It is scarely possible to imagine that a collection of men, the majority of whom are looked upon, as distinctly class players should fall such easy victims. With the hope of improving the team, the forward line was rearranged and the result was an absolute failure. Bell, who was outside left for the day, rarely got into a good swing with Chadwick, and the same remark aptly applies to the other wing in charge of Taylor and Campbell, whilst the centre did not exactly cover himself with glory. Under such a cloud the directions of the club may well carry an anxious look, which will take a long time to efface if drastic measures are not immediately taken. The old forwards line-Bell, Taylor, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward-can if they have the mind hold their own against any van in the League, but unfortunately their work is not directed to the common good. It is absolutely imperative that there should be as near as possible an equal division work, and until such is consummated we may prepare ourselves for further defeats. Up to date the general methods of the forwards have been directed towards the wings to the almost total exclusion of the centre and opponents are not long nowadays in levelling up a team and directing their energies to one or two particular quarters where danger threatens. We have Saturday after Saturday been compelled to witness wing play of the most stereotyped character, and as failure has been the result, why not adopted the inside game, which chains, in addition to being more attractive to be also more effective in up to date football? Change in personnel is not altogether required in the forward line. Variety of method certainly is, and there can be no question that it the men can only be prevailed upon to exclude individualism and work harmoususly, there should be no heartburnings with regard to future game. Reverting to Saturday's display there were early evidences that the ‘'Blades'' meant to win at any cost, and from start to finish they always had the better of operations. At the last minute of play they held a lead of two goals to one, and the would reflect more truly on the general play than the ultimate verdict of four to one, the sensational ending fairly rousing the Sheffield supporters to a frantics pitch of enthusiasm. In every position save one, is- at centre half were they the better exponents. The Everton forwards rarely got going as a body, and it was only on old occasions that they looked like scoring. They certainly never once appeared like a winning team, and none could honestly begrudged a couple of points to the home side. Holt's performance was the only redeeming feature, and it is probable that the little man never played a better game. He was always about when danger threatened and but for him close attendance in the movement of the Sheffield inside men there is no telling when the final margin would have been. None of the others played up to their reputation, and perhaps it would be charable to refrain from any detailed criticism. The Sheffield forwards always made straight for goal when in possession, and they were ably backed up by their halfs, while Earp and Langley were at their best their tackling and kicking being notable features in the game. Massey in goal was not severely tested but what he had to do was done well.