September 1896


August 1 st 1986. Cricket and Football Field.

Interview with Mr. Frank Brettell

As is pretty well known by now, at the meeting of the Bolton Wanderers' directors on Tuesday evening, Mr. Frank Brettle, of Liverpool, was unanimously appointed secretary succession to Mr. AH Downs, who resigned the position one month ago. This decision was arrived after eighty applications had been considered, and three selected candidates appeared before the directors. The choice ultimately fell to Mr. Brettell, whose experience and general claims were regarded as best fitted to meet the requirement of the club. Although Mr. Brettell is exceedingly known in Liverpool football circles, he needs some introducing to the Bolton public, to whom he comes as a stranger, though Bolton football is by no means strange to him. Accordingly I sought him out one evening this week (July 28) for the purpose or running into print the full and complete history of his career, or as much of it as Mr. Brettle modesty would permit him to pour out. Genial and chatty, I found him willing to talk fast enough, but rather loath to be dragged into any conversation which might savour of blowing his own trumpet with unnecessary force.

Asked as to his first connection with football, Mr. Brettell answered that it commenced as far back as 1878, when association football was first played in Liverpool by the old Everton club on Stanley Park, was, of course quite a youth at that time the club being run by a lot of young fellows for their own amusement. We used to play the clubs in the district, but were only what would be considered a junior team now. In 1880 I was made secretary and continued to play myself for several years afterwards, until I had been in the wars so often that I was forced to give up, I had my leg broken above the ankle, playing in a second team match one season, and afterwards went half-back and occasionally goal, having previously played centre-forward and inside left. In my day, of course, Everton was but a struggling club, and in 1880 we wished to introduce a first class team down Liverpool. I was then secretary, and it is a remarkable coincidence that the first big club that consented to come was the Bolton Wanderers. They did it to foster the game in the district, of course. The ground was not enclosed, as I interposed. They played us on the park, and among the men I remember were Gleaves, the half-back, McKernan, Parkinson, Dobson, Struthers and Steel. I remember the match very well. The crowd broke onto the field at the finish, and there being no protection for the players had a time, you can guess. Bootle were going then too, Yes there was a great rivalry between Everton and Bootle, and for one match Mr. Lythgoe brought down a lot of the Druids to assist them, and we were beaten. Next time I got George Dobson, Fallon, and two or three others from Bolton to help us, and we did give Bootle a licking. I played at Bolton in 1884, when I think Everton appeared for the first time at Pikes-lane. We also played Halliwell Jubilee, I think, the same season. About this time Everton also met Great Lever and Astley Bridge, and I played against both the old clubs and several others now extinct. In 1885 Mr. Alec Nesbit became secretary for two years, and I was a sort of assistant. About that time I commenced newspaper work, and have continued since I stop playing. Mr. Barclay succeeded Mr. Nesbit, and subsequently Mr. Molneux was secretary. You have always kept up your connection with football ? Constantly. Since the split I have had more to do with the Anfield club, in a semi official way, but have also attended many of the Everton matches. Last season I travelled four or five thousand miles, including tours with both teams, as newspaper representative. I have been doing work for the Mercury for eleven years, and there are few grounds in the country I have not visited, and none belonging to the First and Second Division clubs. I think I may safely say I have always kept closely in touch with the Association game.

You had charge of the Liverpool team at the end of last season.?

Yes. The boys were three weeks at Birkdale Hydro. We got on pretty well, and Liverpool are in the First Division.

They ought to make a splash there, I ventured to murmur?

Rather, said Brettell warmly. They have a capital team, and a man like Tom Watson should keep them to the front in no small way. Liverpool are likely to boom next season.

In the course of a long conversation we had on various topics it was evident that Mr. Brettell was, to say the least, thoroughly conversant with every phase of professional football, whilst on the authority of the Liverpool press I see that his ardour in connection with theatrical galas and other sports at Anfield has contributed greatly to their success. Mr. Brettell is really a schoolmaster by profession, but has latterly devoted himself almost entirely to press work in the Athletic line. Although comparatively a young man, he has had years of experience of a character which should specially fit him for the post of secretary, and I think mention that his application was supported by Mr. T. Gunning (late secretary of the London Association); Mr. HP Ellis, the Liverpool handicapper; Mr. John Lewis (Blackburn Rovers) and Mr. John McKenna (Liverpool), among many others. Mr. JJ Bentley considered him a very suitable candidate. Mr. Lewis described him as one of the best authorities in Liverpool, and Mr. McKenna has also spoken flatteringly on his behalf, specially commending his judgement of players, and placing of them in the field. Mr. Brettle leaves Liverpool with the best wishes of a large circle of friends, for he has grown with the game there, and I have no doubt Boltonians will welcome him with true goodwill and consideration, and that players, shareholders, and supporters needs scarcely be asked to co-operate with him in such a manner as to ensure a smooth progress and contribute to the future fame and success of the Bolton Wanderers.



August 22 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The gates of the Everton Football Club were thrown open to the public last evening when about 18,000 persons gathered round the enclosure to witness the first of the practice games preparatory to the opening of the season. All the new men were down, and with last season's retained players with the exception of Holt furnished strong sides and taking the nature of the game into consideration gave a really capital display. The opening stages savoured pretty much an earnest contest, and there were many pleasing bits of play that the crowd fairly appreciated, but so evenly constituted were the respectative side that it was not until late on that the Blues asserted their superiority over the Whites, and kept the lead until the close. Early on in the game McDonald, whose leg caused him considerable trouble has season after the Scottish tour, had to retire as it again gave way, and Molyneux was drafted into his position as right full back. The newcomers gave general satisfaction; in fact, the remark applies to all the players, but a passing compliment is due to Briggs, who gave an excellent display of custodianship. The following were the players who took part. - Blues: - Menham, goal, Barker, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Goldie, and Stewart, halfbacks, Taylor, Williams Hartley, McDonald, and Schofield, forwards. Whites: - Briggs, goals, McDonald, and Arridge, backs, Nash, Meiklejohn, and Robinson, halfbacks, Bell, Campbell, Cameron Chadwick, and Milward, forwards.



August 31 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Beyond improvements to the ground and a satisfactory selection of new blood there is little new to record of the Everton club. The practice games were about the average of such like contracts and there is every prospect of a successful season. The fixtures are much the same as usual that is, they are made up chiefly of League engagements cup ties, and a few ‘'friendly'' of the best class among the latter being those with Glasgow Rangers (tomorrow), Anglo Scots trial team (Boyle's benefit), Manchester City, Celtic ands the last but not least, Liverpool. The directors have made but few changes in their staff of professionals. The names of Adams, Kelso Hillman, and McInnes will not be the familiars ones of last season, but as far as could be gleaned from the preliminary canters the new recruits appear to reflect credit upon the judgement of those who had the selection in hand. The abilities of Taylor who was identified with Dumbarton and St Mirren's and had played four times against the English League and against the Irish and Welsh Associations are well known, and the right wing will be much strengthened by his inclusion, while the other new men come with good credentials, and doubtless when called upon will make a big efforts to build up a reputation. The forwards department gives promise of great success and from the halfbacks at the disposal of the club there need be no doubts entertained as to efficiency in this line. The full backs positions however, do not appear to reach the efficient standard of last year, but possibly the shortcomings in this direction will be remedied before the season is well on its way. The post of custodianship will likely be in the hands of Briggs, who did so well last back end, and also in the general practice games. The club is fortunate in having a friendly game at home tomorrow evening against Glasgow Rangers preparatory to their first League match with Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday also at Goodison road where the approaches and ground will once again present their usual animated appearances.


August 31, 1896.

The Sheffield & Rotherham Independent

Everton, the club of big gates, who had 15,000 people to watch their first practice, have been making changes will strengthen the team remains to be seen. However, that may be the “Toffeemen” have such a wealth of talent at command that they are bound to figure prominently in the great competitions during the coming season. Adams has gone to Edinburgh, and Kelso and Hillman to Dundee, and neither will the Everton ranks know McInnes any more. The new men are Menham, a goalkeeper who has been a soldier, Barker a Guardsman (full back); Cameron (Greenock) and Campbell (Renton) both centre forwards; T. Robertson (Greennock), half-backs, and Nash (Dumbarton) inside right. The Evertonians open the season on Saturday next, when they entertain Sheffield Wednesday.




September 2 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The opening game of the season at Goodison park took place last evening, when the Glasgow Rangers, always a popular team, took the field against a somewhat mixed team of Evertonians and the enclosure was lined by about 8,000 spectators. The scotchmen came down with their strongest available recourse. At six o'clock the players lined up as follows: - Everton: - Menham goal, Barker and Storrier, backs, Goldie, Meiklejohn, and Robinson half backs, Taylor, Campbell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Glasgow Rangers: - Dickie, goal, Jackson, and Drummond, backs, Gibson, McCreadie, And Mitchell, halfbacks, Crawford, Miller, Turnbull, Hyslop, and Smith (a) forwards . The visitors won the toss, and from the start a steady movement was made by the Everton defence towards Drummond, who broke up the best attempt to force the position, and landed the ball well down the field. The play for a time was maintained at a fairly good pace, and both sets of forwards were quickly testing the opposing defence. Barker and Storrier had plenty of demands made upon them, but they got well through their work when a touch of the old Everton combination left Milward in possession and successfully rounding Jackson had his first shot at Dickie, but was slightest wide of the mark. Spirited play by the whole Scottish quintet gave plenty of work to the homehalves, and when at length a spell of pressure was ably coped with the Evertonians gave endless trouble the Rangers last line of defence, but in the department little quarter was given though after several abortive attempts a hot one from Robinson almost reached the coveted net. Sharp nippy passing by the Rangers inside men backed up by capital play on the part of McCreadie the centre half, brought about a complete change of venue, and the eagerness with which the van and halves generally seized upon every opportunity to test Menham clearly demonstrated that they meant to put to the full the advantage they held consequent upon an earlier introduction than their opportnents in the season work. Class shots were prolific, and Menham had some excellent practice at shots of all description, whom at length he failed as the result of a smart pass from McCreadie to Turnbull who banged the ball through 15 minutes from the start of play. Getting to work again Menham was still kept on the qui vive, and amongst several shots sent in a magnificent high drive from Gibson was loudly applauded, but the custodian got it away nicely and following some smart tackling by Robertson, Cameron, Campbell and Chadwick were in the thick of a movement to the other end where Drummond only partly cleared, and Taylor finished up with a capital shot which, Dickie had no chance of keeping out. Play was evenly divided up to the interval when the score stood 1 goal each. After a brief interval the Rangers resumed play, but the home forwards were the first to make a decided incursion, and Milward finished up with a shot across the goalmouth, which required but the slightest touch from the right to find its way to the net. Directly afterwards Menhan got a warm handful from Hyslop but ground was lost to Mitchell fouling Taylor, and Goldie taking the kick, struck the crossbar, Milward finishing up by putting the ball outside. Heavy pressure followered on the Rangers goal and Taylor drove into the net, but was ruled offside, but almost immediately afterwards the same player took a swinging pass from the left and had no difficulty in beating Dickie, an appeal for offside this time not bring suctioned. For some time following this second success the Evertonians had much the better of the play, but eventually Storrier and Barker were hard pressure, and towards the finish Hyslop passed out to Smith, who easily rounded Barker, and as easily defeated Menhan with a low shot near the upright one which ought certainly to have been saved, as the custodian was on the spot, and there was apparently only sufficient room for the ball to pass through. A clinking shot from Chadwick and fine tackling by Robertson were the main feature in the remaining play, which finally ended in a drawn game, with the score – Everton 2 goals Rangers 2. Of the new men barker did well at right back, though on one or two occasions he was easily beaten, and at half Robinson was certainly a success, while Taylor, who was not brilliant in individual effort, played a fine passing game, and with better support will doubtless be a big acquisition on the right wing.



September 7 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The League season opened at Goodison Park on Saturday and as in the previous year, the Sheffield Wednesday eleven were the visitors to the greatly improved ground. The fact that Liverpool had beaten the cup holders gave a fillip to the contest, and at the commencement of operations there would be quite 16,000 spectators present. The teams took the field as follows : - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Storrier, and Arridge, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Bell Taylor, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Massey, goal, Langley, and Melia, backs, Petrie, Crawshaw, and Jamieson halfbacks, Spikesley, Davis, Bell (l), Brady (a), and Brash, forwards. Referee Mr. Barker. It will be noticed that a couple of changes were made in the visitors ranks that opposed of the Liverpool club on Tuesday, but Earp who was then injured giving place to Melia of the reverse team, and Jamieson returning his old position at half back. Winning the toss, Everton had the benefit of the wind, and for some time play located at the Sheffield half. Following some smart manouvring on the home left the ball travelled to Cameron, who easily tested Massey, and Bell followed suit almost immediately afterwards, but the custodian got both away, and a steady move was made to the other end. Davies was about to put the finishing touch when Arridges chipped in, and after the Sheffield Bell had worked the ball to within comfortable range from Briggs and was them despoiled by Holt, the home left tore sway, and a splendid finish from Milward only missed the mark by a few inches. Infringement of rule kept the referee fairly employed up to this period, and from free kick Brash and Brady were in possession, and the latter gave Briggs his first handful. Within a couple of minutes Massey had twice cleared at short range from Bell and Cameron, and a further effort on the part of Chadwick-a fast shot along the ground, was also well attended to. There was no doubt as to the superiority of the home attack up to this juncture, but goal getting was altogether at a discount Taylor and Bell were much too smart for Jamieson, and they lost no opportunity of testing Massey, who kept out a magnificent high shot from the inside man, and had no sooner cleared then he accepted one from Cameron on the line. On Holt penalised Davis a changes of venue was effected, but owing to the attentions of Stewart and Boyle the Sheffield wingers had very little chance to get away. Eventually Spikesley beat Storrier, and just as everyone was prepared to follow the parting shot, Holt nipped in most mysteriously, and the chance was lost. Immediately afterwards a howl of disappointment went up as Cameron failed to convert a pass from Milward, and again as Boyle, with a grand dropping shot, only just missed his mark. A couple of corners were got away by Melia and Davis, and on a further attack Crawshaw headed out of the goalmouth, and the Blades must have heaved a sign of relief when the referee directly afterwards announced half time. Play had no sooner been resumed then Massey was again called upon, and for some time the old order of things again held away. Eventually Spikesley had the measure of Storrier, and for some little time the visiting forwards gave glimpse of better play as they passed and repassed to each other in a style that contrasted markedly to their hitherto weak attempts at combination. One of these movements resulted in Brash racing round Stewart and parting to Bell, who popped the ball over to Spikesley, Briggs having to fling himself full length to defend his charge. After a short relief the Wednesday forwards again pounced down on the home goal, and Davis sent in a hand shot, Which the custodian cleverly saved, but before he could get up top clear he was rushed through by the wing men, the visitors unexpectedly opening the scoring. During the next ten minutes the Evertonians were playing like beaten team, but a complete change came over the game as Cameron with a brilliant effort, threated his way through the backs and scored seven minutes from the close, and, obtaining a second point just on time, Everton ran out winners by 2 goals to one.



September 7 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

At Macclesfield. Eight minutes after the start Cameron opened the scoring for Everton, and before the interval that player and McDonald had raised the visitors score to three goals to nothing. After a period of even play Cameron recorded a fourth point for Everton, who held the upper hand to the Finnish, the game ending- Everton 4 goals, Macclesfield nil.



September 7 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton opened their season in a friendly with Glasgow rangers, and the occasion served to give a trial to thew new players. Some 6,000 spectators witnessed the game, and though it rarely savored of keen excitement there were nevertheless many fine passages that lifted the play above the ordinary level of the class of fixture. The game resulted in a draw of two goals each, and this must have come on a bitter disappointing to the fully equipped Rangers team against the mixed combination. The season proper opened on Saturday, and if ever a team on the day's play deserved to make a successful debut in the League football that team was Everton, but it was not until the last minute of play that they accomplished their object and enabled their numerous supporters to breathe freely. Fully three quarters of the play was contested in the Sheffield Wednesday half, and it was really astonishing how the numerous shots sent in should have failed to reach the mark. The whole team in the first half kicked a winning combination all over, for the backs played a sound game, and the forwards- well they could do everything, but the ball into the net. After changing ends they generally had the measure of their opponents, and what were the feelings of the players when they found themselves unexpectedly in a minority after holding possession of the play for so lengthily a period, can well be imagined. But that indomitable pluck which, has in past seasons carried them successfully through many a stern encounter, when luck has been altogether against them enabled them first to get level, and then to foreign ahead and none who closely followed the game could deny their chance to victory. The superb gal keeping by Massey alone saved the Blades from a crushing defeat. All varieties of shots were levelled at this particular individual's charge ands all seemed alike to him, as he fisted or scooped them out of the goalmouth with a dexterity one rarely sees sustained throughout a game. For an opening match, and on a ground that was necessarily heavy going consequently upon the recent rains, the pace was all that could he expect. Shooting at goal was the least satisfactory item, viewing the game from an Everton standpoint, for in the first half these were several occasions when in their eagerness to score the players drove straight at the custodian, when there was an open goal. In other respects the forwards gave an excellent display, and there can be no doubt that, providing the centre distributors the work more evenly to the wings then was the ones on Saturday, the quitet will are long be second to name in the country. Working one wing at the expense of another in a dangerous experience, and especially to when directed in a quarter where the greatest assistance is offered. Taylor, by his really excellent display, justified all the good things that have been said, and written concerning his abilities, and judging by the readiness and ease with which, he adapted himself to strange surrounding he will undoubtedly prove a most vauble acquisition. He stood a lot of knocking about, and when in possession of the ball his work was always clean and well directed. In conjunction with Bell on the outside there was a through understanding, and this wing, which was so uncertain quintet last season, bids fair to eclipse the indubitable left. Considering the great amount of work that was thrust upon the quarter in the first half, they kept pace to the finish and were always about when the ball was anywhere near Massey's charge. Few people expected to find the Queens's Park Cameron in the team, and under the circumstance the directors could not have adopted a write policy than keeping the old combination intact. Despite the fact the crossbar's attentions were lavishly bestowed upon him, he frequently upon him, he frequently left him behind, and withal kept those on either side of him generally well employed. It was however, in the closing stages of play that he shone out especially with a magnificent individual efforts, when the game appeared lost, and brought the teams on level terms-a success that was but the forerunners of a goal a few minutes afterwards which enabled Everton to notch full points. Chadwick and Milward were not particularly overworked; in fact they had perforce in the early portion frequently to disclose their existence by encroaching towards the right. Still they have lost none of their old cleverness, and some of the low screws shots of the inside man were worthy of better fate. The familiar trio, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart were so insurmountable better to the Sheffield front line, and in addition to safe tackling they opened numerous chances for those in front. At times however, Holt was rather too severe in his attentions to the Sheffield Bell, and on one occasion might easily have brought disaster, as a free kick was awarded close in. Boyle put in sterling work, and a couple of excellent shots, and Stewart was quite equal to the task of keeping Brash and Brady in check. The fact that Briggs was only tested twice in the first portion of the game is sufficient evidence of the quality of the full back play, and after the change of ends, when for a long spell the Wednesday forwards kept up a persistent pressure, the pair got through their work fairly well. there was however, a failing away towards the close for Storrier who through the greater portion of the game had been quite equal to the demands from Spikesley, was apparently tagged, and the speedy winger easily left him behind. Briggs was not disturbed under high pressure but still the few shots that came his way were of the ‘'class'' character, and that he ably dealt with them abundantly testifies to his ability in first class company. Taking the Wednesday team as a whole, they scarely upheld their reputation as cup holders, though the absence of Earp, who was injured on Tuesday last while playing against Liverpool, would in some measure account for only an average display. The only really brilliant combination among the forwards was that which immediately preceded the goal, and again a few minutes afterwards when the whole line passed and repassed to one another with a precision that caused no little unearness to the Everton defence. The three B's-Brash, Brady, and Bell-were not so busy as usual, for as started above, Holt was always in readiness for the centre and Stewart accept towards the close, when he was beaten several times, kept the wing men well in check. Spikesley was the most aggressive-of the five for, getting plenty of existence from Davis, he was always dangerous when the ball came his way and it was due to his smart running up that a breach was effected in the Everton defence. Crawshaw played a fine centre half game, and those on either side of him were not wanting in resource, while Leiper was most reliable back, and whenever, Melia a second team man, who filled Earp's position was hard pressed, he covered Massey on both sides with a splendid judgement.


September 9, 1896. The Sheffield Independent.

This friendly fixture was played at Manchester, before 2,000 spectators in fine weather. The home team had the best of the opening exchanges, but Menham played the correct game in goal. Play was fast and exciting but nothing was score before the interval. On charging ends Everton was to the front and Williams saved repeatedly. After pretty play Hartley scored for the visitors. Result Manchester City 0 Everton 1.


September 9 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

This friendly game between the above clubs was played at Ardwick last evening, but the fixture failed to attract more than 2,000 spectators. While the City were well fortified, the Evertoninas had a somewhat missed team, the sides lining up as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Barker, and Storrier, backs, Goldie, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Manchester City: - Williams goal, Reay and Ditchfield, backs, Mann, Bannister, and McBride, halfbacks, Meredith, Finnerhan, Hill, Sharples, and Townley forwards. The opening play was distinctly in favour of Everton, as the City were for some time kept fully extended to their lines, but the defenders shaped exceptionally well, and eventually their forwards raced nicely down, but failed to exact more than a fruitless corner. This was the signal for better effort, and the City for a lengthily period swarmed round the Everton defence, and Meredith had a district chance to open the scoring, but badly failed, much to the disgust of the home supporters. The Everton right pair were conspicuous in a well-directed attack on William's charge, and but for a smart bit of judgement by the custodian his colours must have been lowered. At the other end Townley only missed by a few inches. The subsequently play up to the interval was of the usual friendly class, and the only really attractive bits of play were forthcoming by the respective defenders, of whom Storrier, and Reay were particularly successful. At the interval there was nothing scored, and on restarting Everton again showed up strongly, but the shooting of the van was distinctly weak. Holt was ever prominent in keeping his forwards in possession, but some time had elapsed before a goal was registered- the outcome of smart play by Chadwick, who raced round several opponents and defeated Williams. The light was fading fast, and it was difficulty that the game, which was now altogether favorable to the visitors, could be followed. Through the Manchurians made several determined efforts to pull up level, the score remained maltered and a rather uninteresting game ended in favour of Everton by a goal to nil.


September 14 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met on the Molineux Grounds, Wolverhampton, before about 7,000 spectators. Arridge was unable, owing to injury to his ankle, to take part in the game, and this necessitated a rearrangement of the back division. Baker made his debut in League football as right back, and Storrier filled the left back position, but otherwise the team was unchanged; while the Wolves substituted Nurse for Nisholls, who partnered Tonk on the right wing. At 3-30 the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Barker, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Bell, Taylor, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Tennant goal, Eccles, and Dunn backs, Griffiths, Malpass, and Owen, halfbacks, Tonks, Nurse, Beats, Wood and Black, forwards . The ground was in a very heavy state owing to recent rains, and on Stewart losing the toss the Evertonians commenced the game against the slope. After some initial exchanges by the backs Barker was twice tested by Black and gave early evidence of his ability by clearing in very effective fashion. A further attack almost resulted in the downfall of the Everton goal, as Briggs was left to clear, but he failed to gather the ball at the first attempt, and was lucky in finally getting it away. Quite a change now came over the play, for the Everton forwards led on a strong attack, and as Dunn was penalised for fouling Cameron matters looked promising. Shots came from Bell and Chadwick, and as Tennant was tamped out of goal, it looked odds on the latter's attempts taking effects, but Eccles fell back and saved, and was lucky in meeting a further shot from Cameron. Malpass and Owen eventually cleared when a further return by Bell and Taylor spelt danger, but the finishing touch, though well directed, lacked sting, and almost immediately afterwards Chadwick had a district opening from Bell, but on dallying the chance was thrown away. The Wolves forwards were unable to make headway, and following several free kicks, Barker placed the ball well ahead, and as it appeared to be going over the line Dunn called upon the custodian to leave it, but in attempting to get out of its way it glanced off his back into the net, altogether out of the reach of Tennent, play having now been in progress 17 minutes. Getting to work again, the Wolves made desperate efforts to get on level terms, but whatever fine work they did in the open they were altogether astray in final efforts. Griffiths and Black were exceptions as their attempts were not far wide of the mark, but Briggs was always about, and was splendidly covered by Storrier and Barker, the former player being very clever in heading out. The remaining play up to the interval was contested on even lines, but both sets of forwards lacked precision in shooting, and the custodians were never really severely tested. At half time the score stood Everton 1 goals, Wanderers nil. The second half opened with a heavy pressure on the Everton defence, Black in particular being the most aggressive, but like the others he failed in the final race. Shortly afterwards Beats had the ball directly in front of Briggs, and made a most feeble attempt to score. Profiting by their escapes, the Everton forwards got under weight, and Chadwick and Bell sent in shots which Tennants luckily cleared, but ground was lost on Holt being penalised and for some minutes the ball was bobbing dangerous in front of Briggs. Storrier eventually cleared, and had Bell indulged in an individual effect, instead of passing the ball when close in, he would probably have scored. Ten minutes from the close Wolves made a desperate attempt to score, but there was no defeating the defence and, retaliating it looked odds on Everton increasing the lead, as shots were sent in frequently, Tennant getting rid of three in quick succession, from Milward, Chadwick and Cameron. However nothing further was scored, and Everton won by a goal to nil.


September 14 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

This first combination fixture took place at Goodison Park. The home team went away with a rush, but gradually the Cestrinas improve and forced the first corner. Then Everton raced down, and after McDonald had failed at an easy chance, Schofield shot in and Cameron landed the goal. Morgan equalising five minutes later, but owing to the fine defence of Coventry Everton failed to obtain the lead before half time. Ten minutes after the interval restart, McDonald put Everton ahead, and scoring again the home team finally winning by 3 goals to 1.


September 14 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The Molineux ground, Wolverhampton is evidently becoming a happy haunting field for the Everton team, who followed up last season's brilliant victory by again returning with full points to their credit. Rain had been failing heavily through the right, and in fact it had only abated shortly before the game commenced so that one can imagine what the nature of the turf-always on the soft side under the best of conditions-would be on Saturday. Nevertheless the pace reached a fairly high standard; but to even the most ordinary it was evident but the deterrent conditions mentioned above resulted in the men being kept extended to their utmost efforts all through the game, and indeed it is doubtless weather the players have ever had more exacting demands upon them. Taking the game in a broad sense the Everton team were a shade better than their opponents, and consequently deserved to win, though at the same time it must be confessed that what minimum of back attended the game came their way and it was directly due to the favour of fortune that victory was consummated. After 17 minutes play, during which time Everton had been making most of the running the first and only goal of the match was registered, and it happened in this wise. Barker took a free kick from nearly the half way line, and as the ball was directed wide of goal, Dunn called to Tennant to let it go at the same time stooping to let it pass, but unfortunately for him and his side, he did not stoop sufficiently. And it glided off his shoulders into the net. A few minutes later Briggs mulled badly from the Wolves left, and was lucky in finally getting the ball away after twice failing to gather it, but beyond the instances the element of luck was almost an unknown quatity, and from the time the goal was scored up to the finish the merit of the respective teams were fairly put to the test. Naturally on such a day as Saturday the brunt of the work devolved upon the backs, and right well did they get through their heavy duties. Barker and Storrier played an excellent game, the kicking and placing of both being very effective, while in addition Storrier often got his head in the way of shots likely to cause trouble to Briggs; and the performance of this pair been witnessed at Goodison Park, those grumblers who have been lately airing their opinions in regard to this department of the team would have been put to complete silence. Briggs was not over worked, though whatever came his way, with the one mentioned exception, was disposed of in mastery fashion. The halfbacks were simply reveling in work, and it is questionable if ever the trio so completely checkmated the opposing van, and at the same time attended to their own forwards, with more success than they did on Saturday. Holt played one of his best games, and rarely indeed did the Wolves centre have the better of the little man, who prounced upon the ball and disposed of it with an accuracy that even the Wolves supporters could not refrain from showing their appreciation of. Boyle also got through his work with the precision and judgement that always characterise his play. and while allowing no quarter to Black and Wood he kept Taylor and Bell so well employed that the Wolves defenders were constantly on tenter backs. When the ball was on the Everton right, Stewart paled somewhat in comparison with his confreres, but it must be remembered that in their respective position Boyle and Holt were simply peerless, and therefore allowances must be made. There was no apparent weakness on the part of the skipper, but at the same time sharp passing along the ground would be turned to better account by both Chadwick and Milward, who at times had to exert themselves unneccessantly in pursuit of the ball. With the halves in the fine trim, the character of the forwards play can well be imagined, and nothing, but the sodden slippery state of the ground, coupled with the work of the Wolves last line of defence, could have prevented a more pronounced victory than one to nil. The whole line played well, the right wing especially, and gaven favorable conditions, the team that defeat Everton will have to pile on goals. The Wanderers will require a lot of moulding into shape if they are to regain their prestige and in this respect the forward line will have to make rapid advances upon last Saturday's display. The majority of their movements were defective both in aim and character, and the inside men were principally responsible for the state of affairs. Time after time they passed the ball to their respective wing men with no earthly chance of success, and their lack of judgement in not swinging the ball across wing to wing when a favourable opportunity was presented accounted in full measure for their weak display. Though the Everton halves generally held them well in check, there were, however, occasions when they swooped down on the visitors defence in most threatening fashion, but their final efforts were of a very elementary character. The right was the more speedy wing, though Black at times led on dangerous rushes, but like the rest of the van there was hesitancy at the finish, which proved fatal. The halfbacks considering the fact that they were playing behind beaten forwards did exceptionally well, and Dunn and Eccles were always safe, while Tannent though at times risky in leaving his charge, got through his work well. The game was not an exceptionally pleasant one, for apart from the moderate display consequent upon the heavy ground, there was an unnecessary amount of vigour, which frequently resulted in the adoption of shady tactics. The referee took singular to state, but the referee took little heed of them. By their victory the Evertonians hold a commanding position at the head of the league and they are the only team up to date that have secured the full possible points.

R.Boyle, the popular half back of the Everton club takes a well merited benefit tonight, when a strong team of Anglo-Scots will opposite the Everton league team. The beneficiary has not only proved worthy of supports by his skill on the field, where has individual excellence has commanded admiration from supporters and opponents alike, but his gentlemanly and courteous demeanour has combined to make him a universal favourite. Apart from this, the ex-skipper has taken special pains to ensure a high class exposition of the game, as in instanced by providing such a capable substitute as McInnes of Notts Forest to vice Hannah, of Sunderland, who is indisposed. The kick off is announced for 5-30, and it is hoped that local followers of the pastime will show their appreciation in no instanted manner of his zealous and faithfully efforts on behalf of his club and of the game in general.



September 15 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Unfortunate for the complete success of the above attractive fixture, a couplous blast downfall fell during the commencement of the game, which had a marked effect on the attendance, and there could not have been more then about 3,000 present at any time during the game. Despite one or two changes in the mixed team, a strong eleven, one capable of giving a good exposition of the game, represented them. The men faced each other as follows: - Everton: - Menham, goal, Barker and Molyneux, backs, Goldie Holt, and Stewart, halfbacks, Williams Taylor, Hartley, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Anglo-Scots trail team: - Donnelly (Liverpool), goal, McQueen (Liverpool), and Stott (Notts Forest), backs, Boyle (Everton), Cowan (Aston Villa), and Hyslop (Glasgow Rangers), halfbacks, Bell (Everton), Ross (Liverpool), Campbell (Aston Villa), Micheal (Liverpool), and McInnes (Notts Forest), forwards. Hartley opened the game on behalf of the league team, and for some minutes the play, which was of a quite order, was generally in favour of the home lot. Chadwick failed to convert a fine centre from Williams, and following the goal kick both sets of players warmed to their work. Bell and Ross created a diversion on the right, and after Holt had frequently pulled up Campbell McInnes on the left led on several dangerous rushes towards goal, but in every case Barker not him cleverly as he kicked and headed on the shots with capital judgement. However, there was no mistaking the earnetance of the Anglo-Scots forwards, and on a further return Michael drove hard into the net. A fine movement to the other end was eventually pulled up by McQueen, and directly afterwards Ross sent in a swift shot, which unfortunately, went straight to Menham, who easily cleared. Considering the mixed nature of the Scottish team, they got through their work with good success, and but for the close attentions of Holt they must have frequently scored. The forwards passed to each other with a precision that savored a most frequent acquaintance with one another's play, and their halves, and backs were always ready for all the efforts of the Everton league forwards. Eventually Williams and Taylor ran the ball down the right, and as it was swung across to Milward the latter created an easy opening for Chadwick, who much to the chargin of the crowd, failed to pounce upon it. Subsequent play up to the interval was fairly even in character, and though Micheal and Bell made clever attempts, nothing further was scored. and the teams changed ends with the score- Anglo-Scots 1 goal, Everton league nil. Little time was lost in resuming play, and the Everton team was the first to take up the attack. Holt finishing up a fine movement with an excellent shot, which Donnelly most ably attended to. Hartley led on a further attack and made an opening for Milward, but McQueen got the final attempt away, Menham was almost immediately afterwards tested by Campbell, and was nearly caught napping, as a couple of attempts were required to clear. Boyle who had all along kept Ross and Bell well employed, often had the measure of Chadwick and Milward, but eventually Donnelly had a warm time, as Chadwick and Hartley got in shots that caused no little trouble to clear. The latter put the ball into the net, but from an offside position, and how the keeper saved a few minutes later from Chadwick, who sent in a terrific rate, was simply marvellous. However, the persistent attacks of the Everton van, who had most of the play after the change of ends, ended in the downfall of the Scots goal, as Donnelly, after partially clearing another fine effort to score, was beaten by Hartley from close quarters. Though the visitors made several strong raids on the Everton defence Holt Barker, and Molyneux, was a stubborn trio of defenders and then followed a long spell of midfield play, which culminated in Chadwick putting in a magnificent screw shot, which Donnelly just reached at the corner. The closing stages of play were in favour of the leaguers, but no further scoring was forthcoming, and the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.


September 19, 1896. Chester Observer.

As expected, the combination fixture between our titular team and the Everton Reserve ended in a victory for the champions, although they did not bring about the rout that was looked forward to. Astbury figured in the visiting team in the place of Carter, Astray having at last signed for the club. With the exception it was exactly the same team that defeated the Casuals. It was estimated there were 3,000 spectators present, and prompt to time, the homesters commenced. Coventry was called upon to save very early in the game. This he did with credit, and Spencer forced a corner, and Worgan gave the custodian a nice handful. Cameron scored for Everton after 25 minutes play, and Worgan equalised five minutes afterwards. Chester played with renewed vigour, and subjected the home defence to a trying ordeal. At half-time the score stood one goal each. Worgan restarted and the Chester went off at a good pace, but experience told, and at length McDonald put the Everton ahead with a good shot, Coventry making a very good attempt to save. The toffee boys obtained a third, and the game ended Everton 3 goals Chester 1. In Saturday's form Chester should gave Everton a warming up for the championship honours.



September 21 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

A crowd of over 20,000 assembled on the Everton ground on Saturday to witness the first test between these powerful teams. Welford was left out of the Villa team owing to insubordination, but otherwise the strongest eleven at command was placed in the field, and Everton were represented by the identical team that did so well at Wolverhampton on the previous Saturday. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Briggs, goal, Barker, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), backs, Bell, Taylor, Cameron, Chadwick, and Milward, forwards. Aston Villa: - Whitehouse, goal, Spencer, and Crabtree, backs, Reynolds, James Cowan, and Burton, halfbacks, Athersmith, Devey, Campbell, Wheldon, and John Cowan, forwards. Everton facing the garing sun, set the ball rolling, and immediately Chadwick and Taylor sent in shots at Whitehouse, the custodian only just getting up in time to fist out a clever one from the inside right. Then Crabtree cleared effectively, and Cowan placed to Devey, who threated his way through, and from a long range defeat Briggs with a rising shot, the keeper being apparently handicapped by the brilliant sun. Following this the Villians for a period of ten minutes simply carried all before them, and a climax was received as Reynold put the forward, and Campbell, also from a long range, drove hard into the net, Briggs making no attempt to save the second reverse, happening 17 minutes from the start of play. For some time play ran favorably to Everton, but weak finishes spoiled their efforts and though Whitehouse was often called upon he was never seriously tested. Meanwhile Crabtree and Spencer were particularly safe when in close quarters, and eventually Cowan raced off, and when within a few yards of Briggs shot with terrific force, but the custodian made no mistake this time, as after knocking the ball down he cleared in excellent fashion. Still Everton had a shade the better play but could not score and at the interval were two goals in arrear. The downpour made the going heavy upon resuming and after a period of pressure Stewart placed the ball nicely from a free kick against James Cowan, and Taylor headed in through, but play had no sooner recommenced than Storrier unfortunately put the ball through his own goal from Campbell. Closely following Bell got in a fine centre, and had Cameron been up a certain goal must have been recorded, as the custodian had to make a second attempt to save, but notwithstanding the ill luck, the team plodded on, and Milward with a magnificent effort defeat Reynold and Spencer, and put in one of his noted shots, which found the net. With the prospect of a draw in view the home lot played up in determined fashion but there was no getting through the now strengthened Villa defence, and Everton met the first reverse in League football by 3 goals to 2.



September 21 1896.the Liverpool Mercury

At Bedford road, Rock Ferry, before 2,000 spectators. Rock Ferry attacked, and Menham twice saved from Morris, but after thirty minutes play Hulse scored for the homesters this being the state of the game at half time. On restarting Everton played strongly, but Struthers and Taylor defended well. Cameron equalised for Everton, but Hulse again gave the Ferry the lead, and Chadwick again equalised the final result being a draw of 2 goals to nil. Everton:-



September 21 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

No extraneous effort is required to stir the pulse of local followers when Everton and Aston Villa take the field, for however indifferent or otherwise the teams may have been performing in other quarters one can always rely upon a healthy vigorous tussle, and an all round exposition of the game, and with such in prospect it in little to be wondered at that despite the threatening weather, the ground was so closely packed. The display on Saturday was quite in keeping with the many previous well-contested game, but how many entertained for one moment the idea of Everton conceding full point to their opponents . record breaking in every phase of sport in becoming quite common, and in football especially so. Previous on Saturday the champions had not, since the institution of the League, been able to boast of a League victory at Goodison road, and never before were they in a comparatively more hopeless condition, for their results in the campaign so far were not calculated to inspirit them with much confidence. The game was not many minutes old, however, before the characteristic dash of the Villa forwards and moreover so absolutely sound defence plainly indicated that Everton would require their best efforts. The slightest slip on the part of a player was noted with an avidity hitherto unequalled, and right from start to finish the critical unmindful of the heavy downpour, concentrated its game and meted our appreciation's if the efforts of both sides in a most sportsmanlike manner. Unfortunately for Everton, the defence suffered from the first defeat-hesitancy- and by their shortcoming in this respect the Villa forwards were unable to become complete masters of Briggs on two occasions; and as if this was not sufficient already there was bad judgement thrown in later on which resulted in a third goal, which decided the game. The two goals scored in the first half were from long range, and as Briggs made but an indifferent shape at the first and never attempted to reach the second, it was generally admitted that the glaring sun had a lot to do with his downfall especially so as both the shots were swift and rising. That they were easily obtained was patent to even the most ordinary observes, and under favourable conditions as was subsequently proved the custodian was equal so far more exacting demands. Neither Devey nor Campbell should ever have been allowed to get in the final kick which reached the mark and this want of resource on the part of Storrier and Barker in not pulling the men up greatly discounted their subsequently efforts. A lead of two to nil at half time looked promising to the Villa, but there was many to be found confident of Everton's ability to win, and matters certainly pointed in that direction, as Taylor opened the scoring account, and narrowed the chargin. Excitement was now at the highest and the hopes of Evertonians were likely to be continued when Storrier unfortunately headed the ball into his own net, and practically made Everton's task a hopeless one, as not many minutes were left for play. Still the finest finished work in the match followed this point, and the excitement, Was Milward but there was no mistaking the visible effect that the last stroke of ill fortune had no the players, and the now strengthening Villa defence thwarted every incursion. The Everton forwards had eligible more of the play than the opposing line, and in the first half this was especially so, but their final efforts generally back string and many shots were got away in simple fashion, where otherwise a goal would be forthcoming. Short passing is very pretty and effective against halves and backs under ordinary condition, but when defenders are at their best change of tactics is absolutely necessary if the desired aim is to be accomplished. It was not until well into the game that the home forwards opened out the game by swinging the ball across from wing to wing to the discomfort of the Villa defence and the change of method had a most marked effected, as Crabtree and Spencer more often in strath. The Villa van opened with short, nippy passing along the ground, but making little headway against Holt and company they quickly altered their manenrves and swung the ball about with a persistency that would manure the finest defence. They early found the shaky part of the teams, and experienced hands as they are, played on it to a nicety. Cameron had several openings from the wings, and with a little sting behind Whitehouse would have had little chance of getting many of his attempts away. Bell and Taylor frequently had the measure of Burton, but there was always the insurmountable barrier at full back. Chadwick and Milward were kept busily employed, and the finest individual efforts of the game was from the latter, who raced round Reynolds and Spencer and finished up with a magnificent shot which gave his conferees new life, as for some time afterwards they looked all over a winning team. The halfbacks were somewhat fitful, and were not the solid line they were at Wolverhampton on the previous Saturday. Athersmith and Devey often beat Stewart, but in opposing such a pair he had no light task on hands, for both were in excellent trim, and withal speedy. Boyle for the greater portion of the game played well, and frequently covered Barker when in difficulties, and Holt got through his work with credit, but still that combination one is to accustomed is seeming between the trio was not nearly so marked a feature as it generally is. With the halfbacks not in their usual invincible mood, Barker and Storrier were more frequently tested then they were at Wolverhampton, and it cannot be said that other covered himself with glory. Indecision was their weal point, and there were occasions when miskicks were thrown in that beded ill for Briggs who, though two easy goals were scored against him. On the whole got through his work with district credit. Undoubtedly the strength of the Villa lay in the rear ground, which was in the capable hands of Whitehouse, Crabtree, and Spencer and this trio were in grand trim from first to last. Reynolds also played an exceptionally fine game at half, for it was early on when occasions that Chadwick and Milward could exact quarter. James Cowan was fairly earnest in his attentions both to his forwards and to Cameron, and forward the whole line played a good swinging game, which will carry them successfully through many a stern opponent. The inside men were very resourceful when under difficulties, and considering their play, on Saturday, it was differicult to enclosure how they faced and moderately in their initial matches. The game was an exceptionally attractive one from a spectator's point of view, and the ruling of Mr. Lewis left nothing to be desired.



September 26 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League fixture between these clubs was played at Perry Bar, on Saturday as the Villians had been successful on the previous Saturday at Liverpool an immense crowd numbering over 20,000 turned out to give them welcome, much rain had fallen during the morning, but on arrival at the ground Conditions were very cheerful, and at 3-30 the players lined up in the following order: - Everton: - Briggs goal, Storrier, and Arridges, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain) halffbacks, Bell, Taylor, Hartley, Chadwick, And Milward, forwards. Aston Villa: - Whitehouse, goal Welford, and Crabtree, backs, Reynolds, Cowan, and Burton. Halfbacks Athersmith, Devey, Campbell, Wheldon, and Cowan, forwards. It will be noticed that there were two changes in the Everton team from, which did duly on the previous Saturday, Arridge resuming his old position with Storrier at right back, and Hartley, vice Cameron, who is suffering from an injury to his leg. Owing to bereavement Spencer stood out of the Villa team, and Welford was included after having an enforced rest for insubordination. Everton won the toss, and had the advantage of playing down the slope, with the wind an sun behind them, but the Villa notwithstanding such powerful opposing factors quickly made headway, and Reynolds had a distinctly easy chance to score, but put the ball very wide. ‘'hands'' against James Cowan brought relief but the home forwards ably fed by their halves Reynolds in particular were constantly on the move to the Everton goal and but for the tackles by Holt, John Cowan must certainly have scored. The play was very attractive, and the spectators showed their appreciation in no halfhearted manner. After Bell had come in for load applause for a very fine run down in conjunction with Taylor, the ball was again sent back towards Briggs, James Cowan played in to Devey who took deliberate aim and defeated Briggs with a swift rising shot, 17 minutes from the start. However their lead was of but short duration for the ball was quickly at the other end, and on Stewart putting it forward it glanced off Hartley's back to Welford's toe and passed into the net. Getting to work again both sides in turn put on pressure, but the Villa had, if anything a slight pull in matters, and several times tested Briggs with excellent shot that were very ably attended it. Meanwhile Milward and Chadwick were gradually getting the better of Welford and Crabtree crossed over, and a fine sequence of passing between Chadwick Hartley and Bell ended in the last named putting the ball into the net but the offside plea was sustained. At the interval the score stood one goal each.

On resuming home side at once took up the running, and persistently being round Brigg's charge, shot after shot being sent in quick succession, only to be cleared by the Custodian in most business like fashion. The Everton halves were at this juncture playing splendidly, but still Wheldon and Campbell often gave considerable trouble, and it was not until a period of 20 minutes had elapsed that Everton defenders breathes freely. Milward eventually ran the ball down but quickly returning Devey missed on easy chance by failing to take a pass from Wheldon, and following a spell of even play Chadwick got the ball to Taylor and keeping it close raced round Welford and sent in a fine long Screw shot at the corner, out of the reach of Whitehouse. There was ten minutes left for play, and the Villa as strained every nerve, but failed at shooting owing to the visiting halves being always in close attendance. Excitement ran very high towards the close, and it was intensified in the last minute when Holt gave a further corner which however came to nothing and Everton were returned victors in a good game by 2 goals to 1.



September 28 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams played at Everton, before a fair number of spectators. Cameron started in behalf of the home side, who at once pressure and Schofield early registered the first goal, with a fine shot. A couple followed this from Cameron and Goldie added a fourth, their being the state of efforts at half time. In the second half Pugh and Jones scored for Wrexham, but Everton added three more in rapid succession and were returned easy winners by 7 goals to 2. Everton: - Menham goal, Gordon, and Molyneux backs, Nash, Goldie, and Elliott (captain), halfbacks Williams, Campbell, Cameron, Chadwick (j), and Schofield, forwards.



September 28 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

By feating Aston Villa at Perry Bar on Saturday the Everton team have thoroughly restored confidence among their supports, and we may now, as was the case last season, look forward to a succession victories. The team on Saturday was better balanced than has been the case in previous matches this season, and moreover there was a harmonious working among the players that was distinctly noticeable, and which would not be advisable for the managers of the team to disturb. Though Everton were returned victors of a really fine gam, they had none to much of the play and the good fortune which was denied them in the first meeting of the teams smiled favourabley upon them, and was a powerful factor to success. Still the Villa had all the luck that was hovering round when at Goodison Park, so that the cluns can cry quits. There was several coincidences that called up recollection of the first great battle notably in the manner by which points were scored. To begin with Devey opened the scoring in an similar manner as he did at Goodison road, and later on Welford by way of equalising his reinclusion in the team, very generally repeated Storrier's feat of the previous Saturday by placing the ball into his own net. The pace at times was forced as an unusually high pitch, and there were several periods in the game when down in marvellous fashion, notably in the second portion, and probably Briggs, Storrier and Arridge never had such a warm time as they experienced immediately after crossing over. The speedy Villa wing men swept down from them. And attacked some consequently for 20 minutes, sending in shots from all quarters, but everything came alike to Briggs, who saved and cleared in a manner that appeared to give him life to his conferees, for following this, trying period they went about they week in a thoroughly winning style, and the result of a easily brilliant effort by Chadwick clinkled the victory. The forwards play was on the whole of a most Attractive manner than the first game, and generally was the tactics adopted by both lines tinged with a simplexes that unabled one to balanced up the respective players, and there was in this department the visitors could certainly lay claim to it, as they were always dangerous when in possession and sent in deadly shots at goal. They were however, hampered by the attentions of the Everton trio, who were simply revelling in work, and had there been the slighest weakness in that department, the Perry Bar folk would have had a comfortable lead. When the full back defence is in the capable hands, Boyle Holt, and Stewart are invariably seen at their best for they are able to directed their attentions to their own particular quarter, still Arthersmith and Cowan were often in evidence along the wings, and Campbell in the centre knowns exactly how to swing the ball about to the best advantage. The two halves, Wheldon and Devey, played a telling game, and both were unfortunate in finding Briggs at his best. Of the Everton forwards the left wing put, in the more finished work, but all played with good judgement, and varied their methods at times, much to the discomforture of the home rearguard. Hartley, who was playing centre forward was very closely marked by Cowan and considering that this was his first League game this season, he came out fairly well, and will undoubtedly improve with further trails. Taylor was not so aggressive as usual, but this can be easily accounted for when it is stated that Crabtree was at his best, and both he and Bell had mainly to contest themselves with some fine work in the field and than swing the ball across to the left, a quarter in which the ex-Burnley crack had in the second half to direct his attention, as Welford was often beaten. As mentioned above the Everton halfbacks were distinctly good, and as fullback the change worked decidedly well. Arridge despite the fact that he was not thoroughly recovered from his injury tackled and cleared with good injudgement and if Storrier was not as finished in movement as his partner he was none of the less effective. His kicking was slick and his general display he fully made fatal mistake, which gave victory in the Villa at Goodison Park. Briggs share in the afternoon's proceedings was a very persistent one, as there was immerous occasions when he was called upon to clear high class shots, and it is very questionable whether a more accountable display of custodianship could have been given. He was often brought to his knees to deal with awkward shots which, were not only well saved, but forcibly cleared. Two attempts to save by Wheldon and Campbell, who had simple the keeper to beat, were got away in marvellous fashion, and the hugh crowd of 20,000 could not but admire the crowd, deliberate manner with which Briggs cast aside their chance of victory. Whitehouse was not nearly in frequently tested as in the first game, but whatever he had to do, and there were several clever shots to deal with, was always done well. Crabtree ably covered him and when a danger threatened from Chadwick and Milward, the hand of the veteran Reynold was always somewhere about the goalmouth. Summering up, it was a most attractive game from the spectators point, and the Villa were somewhat unfortunate in having more of the play and less of the scoring. One particular pleasing feated of the Everton team was the unflagging effort into their work.



September 29 1896. The Liverpool Mercury

Some four years have elapsed sine the Queen's Park team opposed Everton, and it was generally expected that if any ‘'friendly'' would success in drawing Liverpool crowds, such would be forthcoming on the occasions of the visit of the famous Scotch amateurs. But such was not the case for there were not more than 2,000 present at the start in give them welcome, and the lack of support is much to be regretted, for as subsequently ever turned out the quality of the play merited better support. Everton relied upon a somewhat mixed team, but the Queen's were strongly represented, the sides lining u as follows: - Everton: - Menham goal, Barker, and Robertson, backs, Goldie, Boyle, and Stewart, (captain), halfbacks, Williams, Taylor, Hartley, Chadwick, and Schofield, forwards. Queen's Park: - Yulle, goal, Ritchie, and Smith, backs, Stewart, Gillespie, and Allison, halfbacks, Crookston, Gibbons, McColl, Cameron (Everton), and Lambie, forwards. Everton opened the play, which during the first ten minutes ran all in favour of the visitors, who were evidently intent upon keeping the home side extended to their best efforts. Cameron who was playing with his old club, tested Menham with a long shot, and later had ill luck in seeing a second rebound from the upright with Barker in readiness to clear. The passing of the Scottish combination was very pretty, and exceedingly well directed, but eventually the home van warmed to their work, and Gillespie luckily charged lighting shot from Hartley. The stay in the Scotch quarters, however, was but short, as McColl fastened on the ball, and racing half the length of the field sent in a clinking shot which, met Barker in its course and Cameron who had closely followed up, unfortunately put it behind. Still keeping up a pressure, Menham only partially saved a shot from Crookton, and following a scrimmage in goal, the ball was put into the net. Play had no sooner been resumed than McColl rounded Robertson, and registered a second goal, this being the signal for increased efforts of the Evertonians, who from this point set about their work in most business like fashion. Hartley just missed scoring, and both Taylor and Schofield were also near the mark. Keeping up the pressure Gibbon was penalised for fouling Holt, and as Stewart placed nicely. Taylor met the return from one of the Queen's backs and cleverly reduced the margin. And a few minutes later Holt initiated a beautiful movement between Chadwick, Hartley, and Schofield, with the result that the last named scored with a magnificent low shot, which gave the Queen's goalkeeper little chance to save. The visitors went of with a rush after this reverse but found scoring difficult, and at the interval the sides were on equal terms with 2 goals each. McColl restarting for Queen's Park, and after a few exchanges in the centre, Hartley ran down, but was charged off the ball. Holt hereabout was a conspicuous figure and justified a couple of attacks on the visitor's goal, there however, proving futile. A moment later the Scotch forwards raced away, and Cameron sent in a beautiful shot, which Menham tipped over the bar, the ball from the resulting corner, being sent over the line. Following this McColl put in a magnificent run, threading his way between the halves and round Barker but unfortunately Lambie lay offside. A movement along the Everton right was finely checked by Allison, but the Everton Stewart got possession, and placed the ball nicely to Chadwick, who sent in a magnificent shot, which called for Yullie's best effort to clear. Play was now decidently in favour of Everton, but the forwards were generally wide of the mark, and whenever attempts were at all likely to prove disasterous the backs, Smith and Ritchie, generally managed to clear. At length Hartley put in a beauty from long range and the custodian brought off a magnificent save at the expense of a corner, which was easily cleared. The pace was now forced to a tremendous pitch, and was more in keeping with the nature of a stern League battle than the ordinary run of friendles. Eventually the Queen's Park forwards got away in pretty combination-a movement which terminated by Cameron putting through after Menham had only feebly saved from Gibbon. Atmost immediately following Schofield look like equalising, but a grand save was effected only to find the Everton forwards again clustering round the Scotch defence, Chadwick was fouled and Stewart taking the free kick, placed the ball well in, and it gilded from a player into the net. With the score again level, the teams attacked to in most determined fashion and the exchanges being favorable to Everton further pressure caused on the Scottish defences. Three corners were awarded the home lot in rapided succession but all were got safely away, and at the other end, Menham almost cost his side a goal by a weak clearance from Lambie. The light was falling badly, and the movements of the players were followed with difficulty, but Chadwick skimmed the posy with a fast shot, time being called with the score 3 goals each.