December 1897



December 6 1897. The Liverpool mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup

Everton were favoured with chose of ground in the first round of the competition, but the fixture with Darwen aroused little interest, for there were only about 2,000 spectators present, when the game commended. The unfavorable weather was mainly responsible for so scant an attendance, the spacious arena presenting a very bace appearance. Everton turned out their full strength, while there were two changes on the visiting side, Cumpsty and Earnshaw being absentees. At 2-30 the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick, and Drivers forwards. Darwen: - Kingsley, goal, Leech and Haworth, backs, Moore, Tyrer, and Jackson halfbacks, Sugden, Crook, Miller, Fish, and Barnes forwards. From the start Everton pressed, and after several skirmishes in front of goal Taylor sent across to Chadwick, who opened the scoring within a couple of minutes. On resuming, further pressure ensuned on the Darwin goal, but eventually Leech cleared the raiders out, and Barnes put in a clever run, and shot, which Muir kept out, and shortly afterwards the home custodian was again called upon. Holt and Boyle were now prominent, but for a lengthy period desultory play follow in the Darwen half, Kingsley for a time being kept well employed, though as a rule the shots he had to deal with were not of a very deadly character. Eventually J.Bell drove in hard, and an excellent save by Kingsley was well applauded. Following some very erratic attempts by Holt, the Darwen right broke away, Crook eventually parting to Miller at the right movement, with a resulting goal close on half time. Jackson the Darwen left halfback retired hurt, and as nothing further was scored the ends were changed with the record one goal each. On resuming the play again run all in favour of the Everton men, several changes to score being allowed to pass, Taylor was faulty on several occasions, and from a break away Darwen almost took the lead, as Meechan slipped in tacking Fish, and as the latter was injured he had to retire for the remainder of the game. Miller give Muir a hard shot to deal with, but the aspect of affairs were soon changed on Taylor crossing over and centering to J.Bell, who put the ball into the net. After this point the visitors were only occasionally seen in the Everton half, of the field, and after repeated attempts had been made to score by the home side, the ball was taken down the right, and a third point was registered, by J.Bell, thus this being the last goal for the match, Everton emerging victorious by 3 goals to 1.



December 6 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

For the first Saturday since the commencement of the season, league football in Lancashire had perforce to give place to Lancashire Cup ties, and in our own particular district there was little to arouse any great enthusiasm. Everton received a visit from the Darwen club, and anticipating a one sided contest, coupled with the miserable conditions that prevailed, Goodison Park presented an unusually bare appearance, for at the time of commencing operation there would not be more than a couple of thousand spectators present. Anticipations were fully realised, for the play, except on very odd occasions, simply consisted of a parade to and from the Darwen goal. Had the shooting of the Everton forwards been at all in keeping with their other movements, a record score must have been established. Some of the effects to beat the Darwen custodian were of a most ludicrous character, and in this respect Holt and Taylor were audiputed delinquents. J.bell was the only member of the attacking partly that put any sting behind the ball, and being invariably accurate, he was the only player that caused much uneasiness to the visiting custodian, who on the whole, gave a very capable display. Chadwick was a fairly good second, but the others were feeble in the extreme, and it was fortunate for them that they had no more worthy opponents to deal with. There was a superfluity of finessing, especially in the first half that counted for nothing, as is usually the case. It was not until the visitors had pulled up level that the more tangible methods were adopted, and out of a multitude of attempts of varying merit the ball was twice put into the net in the latter half, and the Evertonians entered the second round with a lead of three goals to one. The shortcomings of the Everton forwards afforded the visiting backs a rare opportunity to shine, and the veteran Leech, who is now in his 17 th season with the Darwen club, was not slow to take advantage of every chance that came his way. The ex-Turton custodian Kingsley was very resourceful between the uprights, for nothing was allowed to pass him that was at all possible to save. The Darwin halves were mainly occupied in attending to the opposing forwards, consequently vanguard of the East Lancashire club had generally to make their own play, and in this respect Barnes, a Liverpool lad, and Crook showed very good ability. The Everton backs were never fully extended, but the shot that defeated Muir was the outcome of one of the finest movements witnessed during the game. Taking the play all through, it reached but a moderate level, and if Saturday's victors are to uphold their right as holders, of the cup, they will need to improve considerably in the shooting department.



December 13 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the season's League engagements between Everton and Notts was played at Goodison Park before a moderate attendance, the crowd at the commencement of the game numbering but 5,000. At 2-30 the sides lined out as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick (e), and Driver, forwards. Notts County: - Toone, goal, Prescot, and Gibson, halfbacks, Crone, Calderhead, and Stewart, halfbacks, Langham, Carter, Henry, Boucher, and Deighton forwards. The County opened well, but failed to get the better of the home defenders, who kept the ball out in rather simple fashion. The visitors however, put plenty of dash into their play, and were frequently operating in the Everton half, until the home forwards took up the attack and brought considerable pressure to bear upon Toone. Eventually the right wing took, the ball down, and on J.Bell sending across, Drivers put his head to it and defeat Toone, after about eight minutes play. A couple of corners fell to the visitors, and a capital shot from Crona went slightly wide, this latter efforts being the only one for a considerable period afterwards. Meanwhile Everton had been busy in the Notts half, but all their work was of little avail, as final touches were of a very faulty character. J.Bell and Chadwick however, put in capital shots that Toone manipulated cleverly, but both Taylor and Drivers allowed easy openings to pass unheeded. Up to the interval the Evertonians had all the play, but failed to increase their lead and on resuming the game order of things prevailed. The visiting backs stopped at nothing to keep out their opponents, who have rarely been soon in so ineffective a mood. Two clever chances were given to Drivers, who had but custodian to face, and these were badly mulled. For some time play was a most desultory character, but eventually the Notts forwards took advantage of looseness on the part of the Everton halves, and Boucher finished up with a swift shot that went slightly wide of the mark. A quick return was made to the other end, and the ball found a seating place in front of Toone, none of the Everton forwards being up to take advantage of a ridiculously easy chance to score. Chadwick eventually struck the upright, and Toone brought off a clever save, which led to argradual move towards the other end, when Meechan and Storrier had invariably the best of matters. Play did not remain long in the Everton quarters; though a further return led to the visitors obtaining a corner, which proved unproductive. Following this, Everton had the better of matters, but could not increase their lead, the final result being Everton 1 goal, Niotts County nil.



December 13 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

At Rock ferry, before 2,000 spectators. Pugh kick off for Rock Ferry, and after ten minutes play Shepherd scored an offside goal. Williams then twice tested Moore, the Rock custodian, who saved splendidly. At the interval approached each side tried to score, but without success although Boyle, Push, and Sheperh nearly scored for Rock Ferry with shots which McFarlane luckily saved. The second half although finely contested was unproductive of any score. The final result was nil all. Everton: - Macfarlane, goal, Balmr and Barker, backs, Wolstenholmes, Hughes, and Stewart, halfbacks, Williams, Cornett, Hulligan, Barlow (j), and Schofield, forwards . (Place 2 nd , game 10, won 6. Lost 1, draw 3, for 25 against 10 points 15)



December 13 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

As a whole the game was without a perrelled on the Everton ground in so far as faulty play was concerns and it was before indeed that the home team had not a more formidable lot than Notts to antagonise. This display of the visitors was quite keeping with their position on the League table, for with very few exceptions their movements were void of both aim and character, and have was presented an opportunity for the Evertonians to give their goal average a fillip. But this particular contest does not stand alone in this respect, for frequently have clubs of, but moderate credemials visited the ground and have returned scatheless on, at any rate, not disgraced-results mainly due to the lackadaisical, all come right in the end style of play by the Evertonians. The only point scored on Saturday was obtained in the first few minutes of the game, and through the backs opened out chances innumerable for those in front they were allowed to go a begging in a most tantalising fashion. The best effects of the home players were only discernible during the odd intervals that Notts looked like getting through, and one could not help but come to the conclusion that the forwards were quite satisfield with their solitary goal lead. Of the forwards L.Bell and Chadwick divided what little honours there were, and the efforts of the remainder were faulty and futile in the extreme. The halfbacks, Boyle in particular played a successful game, for they gave their forwards plenty of attention, and as a rule had no difficulty in breaking up the Notts attack. Storrier was the better back, though Meechan improved considerably upon recent displays, and Muir had practically nothing of an exciting character to deal with. Beynold a vigorous defence the visitors were a very ordinary lot, and if their display on Saturday was a sample of their best they will still find points getting a very difficult that. They are a hard working lot, but lack the cleverness which is essential to beating a defence for their passing when getting under weight is an frequently placed to an opening defender as to one of their own sides. The right wing pair, Langham and Carter were concerned in most of the attacks on the Everton end, and at half back the ex-Evertonian Stewart played the most correct game though Crone at times did well against drivers and Chadwick. The full backs were a fairly successful pair, for what they lacked is still was compensated by the vigour they infused into their play, while Toone in goal did all he had to do well. It was a thoroughly disappointing game, void of interest and excitement, and it is to be hoped that the ‘'Blues'' will better direct their energy to more successful results.



December 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the League between Everton and Sunderland were decided on Saturday last at Sunderland. The Everton team, as is customary made the journey to Durham on Friday, and entraining on Saturday morning reached the headquarters of the Sunderland side at two o'clock. There was then an attendance of some 6,000 spectators and at quarter past two 15 minutes after the advertised time, the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, Bach, and Boyle, backs, Ferguson, Mcallister, and Wilson halfbacks, Bradshaw, Leslie, Brown, Morgan, and Chalmers, forwards.

Sunderland had the choice of ends, but there was no advantage to be derived from the spin of the coin, and from the opening stages it was again apparent that the spectators would witness a thoroughly attractive game. The home side were the first to take up the attack, their left wing being particularly busy, and forcing a corner off Meechan matters looked none too promising for the visitors. The defence prevelled, and Taylor and L.Bell led the way to the other end, where Wilson frequently foiled several attempts to get through, and on the latters eventually outting Brown in possession a distinctly dangerous passage presaged Everton's downfall. However, Leslie was adjudged offside, after putting the ball into the net though for some time both Meechan and Storrier were kept busily employed. Wilson essayed at goal to no purpose and after Chadwick and Drivers had made the running, Taylor finished up badly when a fairly easy chance presented itself. The same player a few moments later, tested Doig with a clever shot, which was got away with difficulty, and L.Bell also called for the custodian's best efforts, as the result of some smart work by Chadwick. At the other end, Morgan drove into Muir, who kicked away, and though from this time Sunderland had the better of the play, the interval arrived without anything being scored. The opening stages of the second half were generally in favour of Everton, and steadiness on the part of L.Bell might have benefited his side considerably. The ball was put very wide. Drivers followed with a capital shot, which Doig fisted away with difficulty, and keeping up the pressure Ferguson conceded a corner kick, which however, brought no result. The home side now had spoil of attack, and during one of their incursions Brown looked a certain scorer, when Holt nipped in and cleverly cleared. Morgan then followed with a shot that skimmed the bar. J.Bell then indulged in one of his dashing runs, but failed to get throught, and then followed a most determined attraction the visitor's goal. Several corners kicks followed in quick succession, and Meechan, Storrier, and Muir were kept busily employed for fully five minutes. Relief eventually came from L.Bell who raced off, and at time was drawing to a close, Chadwick put on a big effort and shot hard in, Doig warded off the shot, but did not clear, and had any of the Evertonians beening up, a certain goal would have resulted. Final result Sunderland nil Everton nil.



Decemeber 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. The Everton started, Hulligan, scoring twice in the first ten minutes, and Cameron added a third. Play was all in Everton's favour, Barlow and Cameron increasing the lead, before the interval. Half time Everton 5 goals Crewe nil. On resuming Hulligan and Cameron quickly scored, and the game was even for a time, however, Everton placed to more goals and won easily by 9 goals to nil. Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Balmer, and Barker, backs, Wolstenholmes, Hughes, and Stewart, halfbacks, Williams, Cornett, Hulligan, Barlow, and Schofield, forwards.



December 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

That the Everton team can rise to the occasion when anything of an exacting character is required was ably demonstrated on Saturday, when they opposed Sunderland at Wearside. Since the institution of the game between the clubs, the north countrymen have enjoyed a big lead in the matter of successful issues, and the Evertonians have yet to chronicle a victory as the result of their visit northwards. They have as on Saturday, several times come within reach of effecting a coup, but somehow or another they appear to be the one team that can draw out the full ability of the Wearsiders. That the latter organisation played a great game-in fact the best so far this season, before their own supporters-was admitted on all hands, and the success of the Evertonians in shinning the points redounds greatly to the credit of the visitors. That game was stubbornly, and at times heatedly, contested, yet always brimful of interesting and exciting incidents. The heavy ground and peculiar vagaries of the ball which, it was alleged, was far from being perfect in shape, were obstacles that were overcome with the greatest dexterity, for never did the pace slacken, and the closing stages were marked with a keenness that reflected greatly upon the physical conditions of the respective contestants. The supporters of the home club were simply astonished at the really excellent display of their favourites during the early portion of the game, and well they might have been, for the team's movements were precise and accurate in aim and character, and a defence less capable by the merest shade than that of Everton on Saturday might easily have been often penetrated. It was a thoroughly sportsmanlike crowd that viewed the game, for the bestowal of favours was unstinted and generally impartial all through the proceedings. The Everton backs came in for a fair share of praise, by reason of their very capable work, both at open and close quarters, and it is a pleasing item to chronicle that Meechan, who by the way, is an old favourite at Sunderland, where he rejoices under the hybrid sobriquet of ‘'paddy'' gave a much improved display, and with Storrier, who has rarely been more effective, formed a line of defence that the smartest set of forwards would have experience extreme difficulty in penetrating. It was during the first portion of the game that the best efforts of the above mentioned pair were brought out, and when at length the tide turned in favour of the visitors, they were also capable exponents in the art of keeping the ball well forward. Not one whit behind in point of excellence was the performance of Bach and Boyle, the Sunderland backs; in fact, one might venture the statement that the whole game was purely a trial of kill between the respective last line of defence. There was certainly not much room of choose between the forwards and halfbacks, for the occasional shortcomings of one or two, were compwenated by some brilliant individual efforts of their confreres that served to bring up the average to a very fine point of equality. The Everton inside men contributed some very clever work, and on one occasion it was a moot point as to weather the referee was justified in ruling J.Bell offside just as he let himself loose in one of his characteristic sprints towards goal. From the press box, Bell appeared to be in a legitimates position for receiving the ball, and had the players not been pulled up a goal would have been a fitting climax to the movement which led up to his possession. The inside men were not at their best, this probably being the result of the close attentions of Wilson and Ferguson, who were apparently comfortable on the heavy turf. The Everton halves, if not exceptionally brilliant, played a sound hard working game, and though at times they come under the ban of the referee, their methods were far removed from the shady side, and many of the stoppage that occurred were unworthy of notice. Muir had some awkward shots to deal with several of them being low down and fast, and the fact that none defeated him testified greatly to his ability. The last five minutes of the game was an anxious time for the Everton custodian, for two free kicks were awarded the Wearsiders close in, and those were followed by four corners in quick success. During this period the keeper in conjunction with Meechan, Storrier, and Holt came through a most trying ordeal with flying colours. The Sunderland forwards combined with great effects, the movements of the wingmen being generally of a dangerous character. Brown in the centre kept them well together, and the trio, of whom Hugh Wilson was a great source of strength, splendidly backed up the whole line. Both Boyle and Bach, the full backs kicked powerfully, and clean, while the value of Doig's services both in saving and getting out could not be overestimated. An equal division of the honours was a fitting conclusion to the game, and Messrs Clayton, Keates and Molyneux, who accomplished, the Everton team had every reason to be well satisfied with the performance of there under their charge. On Christmas Day Aston Villa, the present league leaders will visit Goodison Park, and on the Monday following the Everton team are due at Leicester to play the Fosse.



December 27 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League engagement between Everton and Aston Villa was decided at Goodison Park on Christmas Day, and at the commencement of operations there would be quite 25,000 spectators present. The first contest between the teams at Birmingham, some few weeks back resulted favorably to the Villa by three goals to nil, but since that occasion the Evertonians have made rapid strides and most local followers anticipated a reversal of the previous result. Owing to the late arrival of Mr. Strawson, the referee, the start was delayed for some quarter of an hour, but eventually one of the linesman took the whistle, and an old Bootleite in the person of Jamieson was pressed into service on the line. The sides turned out as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Stewart (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Aston Villa: - Whitehouse, goal, Sharp (b), and Evans, backs, Chatt, James Cowan, and Crabtree, halfbacks, Athersmith, Harvey, Devey, Whelson, and John Cowan, forwards. Everton opened the play, and after Chadwick and Drivers had moved dangerous down the left, Cowan and Wheldon replied for the Villa, and Devey was in possession in front of Muir. His shot struck the crossbar, and after this narrow escape the Everton forwards buckled to their work, and often within dangerous shooting ranges. Sharp and Evans were kept fully extended, but at length relied came from a foul charge by J.Bell, and operations for a time settled down in the home end. Storrier was, however, in great form, and allowed no quarter whatever to the Villa forwards. Taylor was subsequently penalised for offside, after J.Bell had made an excellent opening, but returning again the home left looked like getting through, when B.Sharp fouled Drivers close in. the free kick was entrusted to Robertson, who drove in low and fast, the ball gliding off an opponent into the net, this success being greeted with tremendous cheering. On resuming the pace was forced to a tremendous pitch, and each goal had considerable pressure. On one occasion Meechan missed the ball altogether, and Wheldon was left in a capital position to score, but shot high over the bar, and later James Cowan finished with a low shot, which Muir easily saved. At the other end, some very exciting passing was witnessed and Whitehouse kicking out of goal as the result of a header from Sharp. A free kick, splendidly placed by Stewart, was cleared out of goal by Evans, who was apparently over the line, but no notice was taken of an appeal, though a few moments later success came as the result of a fine movement, on the part of J.Bell, Taylor and Chadwick, the last named meeting the ball accurately and driving it hard into the net. The Everton forwards continued to be more aggressive in their movements, but a breakaway by the Villa left looked threatening until Storrier crossed over and cleared outside. From a corner Meechan made a fine attempt to head into the net, put placed over the bar, and nothing further took place upon the interval, Everton leading by two goals to nil. On resuming Everton opened well, for within a few minutes J.Bell put on a capital shot after receiving the ball from Driver, and fortunately for Whitehouse managed to cleared. Directly afterwards Storrier was pressed and Athersmith passed to Harvey, who placed the ball wide. Villa now having the better of the tussle, and at length the Everton goal was pressed, as Chatt passed to Wheldon who directed the ball into the net, and finally took Muir by surprise. Everton looked like forging further ahead directly afterwards, for Taylor had a capital chance from a free kick against Evans, but mulled it, and once again the Villa led up to a persistent attack. The ball was put into the net, but it had been fouled in its course, and the point was disallowed. Following this the Villa put on heavy pressure, and the movements of the forwards were extremely dangerous, but they failed to score, and Everton won a hard game by 2 goals to 1.



December 27 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

At Marsh Lane Bootle. The game was splendidly contested throughout, the defence on both sides playing well, but the slippery state of the ground let in the forwards several times. The scoring went on even lines, and the proceeding were very exciting. Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Balmer, and Struthers, backs, Barker, Wolstenholmes, and Hughes, halfbacks, Gilton, Williams, Cameron, Barlow, and Schofield, forwards.



December 27 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

That the popularity of Holiday football games has lost none of its old interest was once again plainly evidenced on Christmas Day at Goodison Park, for the approaches to the well equipped enclosure of the Everton club were of a partionlarly lively character, and the progress of the game witnessed by fully 30,000 spectators. Of course the nature of the contest was such that little was required of an extraneous character to stir the purse of local followers of the game, for regardless of the fact that the game between the Villa and Everton are always productive of high class sport, the issue was likely to have a district bearing upon the probable location of the season's honours. It was only natural therefore, that the venue of the contest should be well patronised, and as the quality of the play turned out to be no exception to the general rule, the crowd critical to the full, had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. The varying phases of the game were followed with the keenest avidity, and when at length the Evertonians appeared likely to reverse the defeat at Aston Park some five weeks back, the Goodison Park habitues showred their encouragement upon their favorites in so lavish a manner that no set of players could have failed to respond to the very utmost. A couple of goals were speedily forthcoming and their enthusiasm knew no bounds. There could be no question that such a lead was thoroughly deserved by the home team, and one could only hope that all the game was characterised with such an esprit de corps as that which prevailed among the Everton team on Saturday. The pace was maintained up to the interval at a very high pressure, and there was a more general distribution of the work than has been noticeable in previous games. Defence was again the most salient feature of the contest, and through there was an occasional weakness display, no effort was spared to recover. After the change of ends the home side had still the better of matters, though towards the close they palpably tired, and the Villa put on great pressure, and eventually reduced the lead. They forced the play mainly on the Everton right, where Stewart and Meechan had more than once been beaten, and had the visitors succeeded in pulling up level none could have begrudged then the division of points, for in the last few minutes, having had fairly the measure of their opponents, they were extremously unlucky in not scoring. It was a capital game despite the falling off in the play of the Evertonians during the closing stages, and as the club share League honours as the result of the season's contest, future games will still be invented with the keenest interest. Coming to the players, and dealing first with the Everton forwards, the palm must be given to Chadwick, who worked most assiduously all through the game, and opened out chances for those on either side of him that might easily have been turned to good account. Much of the work was robbed of its effectiveness by foolish tactics on the part of Drivers, who repeatedly came under the ban of the referee. Owing to the close attention of James Cowan, L.Bell had not much opportunity to shine, and though J.Bell and Taylor were often seen to advantage their play was a long way removed from their reputed standard. On the halfbacks, Robertson was certainly the most effective and if his only business had been to attend to the speedy Athersmith he could not have accomplished his mission with greater success. The Villa outside right was completely overshawdoned, and it was not until well on in the game that one of those famous sprints was indulged in, and even then it was brought to an untimely close by the Evertonians who had completely received himself after being apparently easily beaten. Holt also played a great game, especially when there was a semblance of the Villa getting through, and though Stewart played quite as effective a game as of old in the first half he was rather slow in the later stages. Storrier was undoubtedly the best full back on the field, for throughout the gave a most finished performance. His tacking was powerful and well directed, and during occasions when Meechan was in difficulties he was of the utmost value to his side. Meechan played well during the greater portion of the game, butthere were times when he might have made more effort to recover himself after being beaten by the Villa left. His tackling was overall good, and taking the back play all round there was little fault. Muir was kept on the nerve, but had few shoots to negotiate and the one that beat him could scarcely been prevented from reaching the net, as it was sent in low and fast, well out of his reach. The Villa forwards were seen at their best during the first few minutes and the closing stages of the game. At the very outset the Everton goal had a miraculous escape as the ball struck the under portion of the crossbar, and there could be no question of their quality during the last five minutes, as the home as the home backs will undoubtedly testify. During this critical period their passing was really brilliant, and shooting exceptionally accurate, and had they proceeded in equalising it would only befit such superb effort as they put forward. The halfbacks were a most hardworking trio, and both Evans and Sharp formed a fairly solid defence. Whitehouse kept goal well, but it was open to question as to whether he had not been beaten three times, for the ball was apparently in the net on one occasion when he got his toe to it. To day Everton are due at Leicester to play the Fosse, a friendly game, and Saturday ‘s success over the Villa should result in a capital attendance in the midland town.



December 28 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Barlow breaks arm on senior trail.

The Everton team accompanied by Messrs Davies, Keater, and Molyneux, made the journey to Leicester yesterday to engage in friendly rivalry with the Fosse Club. The weather was not of a very favorable character as a drizzling rain fell an hour previous to the match, and somewhat effected the attendance, while a strong wind blew from end to end. With one exception the Everton Club were repeatedly by the eleven that defeated the Villa on Christmas Day, the newly included player being Turner, of Skerton, who was given a trial on the outside left. There were two changes on the home side neither McLeod nor Watkins being able to take the field, and at 2-15 before about 4,000 spectators, the side turned out as Follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Stewart (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick, and Turner, forwards. Fosse: - Sair, goal, Walker, and Swifts, backs, Ball, Proudfoot, and Jones, halfbacks, Freebairn, Flannagn, Smith, King, and Dowell, forward. Everton were fortunate with the spin of the coin, but the home forwards opened well, and were early testing the visitors defence. From a goal kick thus Fosse returned again, and King tested Muir with a splendid shot, which was ably dealt with, and for some minutes afterwards the Everton right wing were busy in the Leicester half. The high wind completely spoiled the passing movements of the Everton forwards, but eventually Chadwick rushed through the ball from a corner kick. Play for a considerable period lay well within the home half, but beyond corner kicks, which came pretty frequently, no tangible progess was made. The Fosse forwards then livened up considerably, and during one of several raids on the Everton goal the ball was passed to King, who defeated Muir with a capital shot. This success spurred on the home lot, and for some little time they were distinctly dangerous, the left wing pair putting in some really capable work, and causing Stewart and Meechan considerable trouble. A little later Muir saved a difficult shot from Dorrell, who lay close in, and after a further return the Evertonians infused great dash into their play, but their final efforts were rendered faulty by the high wind. A couple of corner kicks availed nothing, but clinking shot from J.Bell, and Chadwick were ably dealt with by Sair, and then followed another determined rush on Muir's charge, Meechan having been previous easily beaten by Dorrell. Smith, the home centre, had the goal absolutely at his mercy, but hesitated and Muir saved, and then followed a pretty movement by the whole of the Everton quintet, the home full backs just getting up in time to prevent disaster. Play was now suspended owing to an injury to Turner, who came into collision with Walker, and Everton procceded with but ten men. The interval was announced shortly afterwards, the score then being Everton 1 goal, Fosse 1. In the collision with Walker, Turner had unfortunately broken his arm, and was taken to the local infirmary. Everton with four forwards made a sharp attack on the home goal immediately on resuming a long swift shot, from J.Bell testing Sair to his utmost. By means of several hugh kicks the ball was kept well in the Everton end, and the Fosse forwards made splendid efforts to score. Proudfoot and King came near the mark, and Muir kept out a beauty from Dorrell. Storrier and Meechan had an anxious five minutes, as the home players readetedly swept down, but eventually Taylor raced away, and sending across to Chadwick only missed heading through by the nearest shave. For quite five minutes the Fosse forwards had considerably the better of matters, and shot were rained in frequently at Muir who continued to be at his best. In two occasions J.Bell and Taylor looked like forcing a clear course, when the home backs pulled then up in capable fashion. Swift in particular being very effective in his attention to the Everton right wing pair. A big effort was made by the Evertonians to gain a leading point, but this was not forthcoming, and a drawn game of 1 goal each resulted. Considering the unfavorable climental conditions that prevailed, the quality of play reached a creditable standard. The forwards were of course considerably handicapped, for a high wind greatly interfered with their play, and bent upon treating the spectators to an exposition of their passing game, which of course was not likely to produce the best results under such adverse conditions, the team accomplished the object of the directors, in so far as rendering an exposition on the nicer points of the game was concerned. In view of giving Drivers a rest. Turner was given a trial, and while he was on the field he gave a very creditable display, and it, was singularly unfortunate that he should have the victims of uncalled for attention on the part of Walker.



November 29 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Its is possible that harry bleaks the county's right full back many be transfer to Everton football club