January 1898


January 3 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

William Muir saved Booth second penalty

The return League engagement between these clubs was played on New Year's Day at Ewood Park, before a holiday crowd numbering along 20,000. The sides turned one as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Stewart (captain), Holt, and Robertson halfbacks Taylor, Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick and Divers, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Catter, goal, Brandon, and Glover, backs, Ball, Booth, and Killean, halfbacks, Brierliffe, Hulse, Proudfoot, Wilkes, and Campbell, forwards . Everton won the choice of ends, but the Rovers were the first to open a dangerous attack, and during the first few minutes the Everton defence were kept fairly busy. Proudfoot took a smart centre, and was not far wide of the mark with his shot, while a few minutes later Booth shot over the bar. Chadwick and Drivers eventually got away, but Brandon was in readiness and prevented a partin shot, while ground was made, on Robertson being penalised. The ball was capitally placed, and the Everton goal had a narrow escape J.Bell and Taylor changed the venue, but the Rovers were quickly back again, and Wilkes tested Muir with a shot that was ably dealt with. The home side were not to be denied, and for some minutes they fairly besieged the visitors goal, though to no purpose. Drivers then got away and centre to Taylor, whose shot was of a very feeble character, and then followed a couple of sharp attacks by the brothers Bell, both their efforts, however, being charged down by the Rovers backs. At last Chadwick seized an opportunity of putting the ball past Catter, thus scoring after about twelve minutes play. This success spurred on the Evertonians and for some little time they held a strong position in the Rovers half. Taylor was slightly at fault in shooting, and later in receiving from Drivers, and after a lengthy pressure the Rovers again took up the attack. Briercliffe and Campbell were busy in their efforts to pierce the Everton defence, but to no avail, though later on the Rovers were awarded a penalty kick, which was converted by Booth, after Meechan grassed an Blackburn forward. Nothing further was added up to the interval, when the score stood one goal each. On restarting the Evertonians went off at a great pace, and Catter was quickly called upon to save from Taylor. Storrier and Meechan kept their forwards well in front, and the Rovers custodian had a most anxious time. However, Brandon and Glover maintained a steady defence, and eventually the Rovers right got down, and Briercliffe tested Muir, with a capital shot. For some little time the home quintet were distinctly dangerous, and Muir was often called upon, and eventually Briercliffe rushed the ball into the net, but the point was disallowed for offside. Hulse then tested the Everton custodian, who continued to exhibit fine form, and then the Rovers were distinctly lucky in closing disaster from Chadwick, whose shot shaved the post. The Rovers now attacked in such desperate fashion, and during a heavy onslaught Meechan handled the ball and a second penalty kick was awarded the Rovers. Booth again took the kick, but Muir caught the ball splendidly and cleared, and nothing further resulted, the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.



January 3 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. Cameron scored in the first minute, and Cornett placed Everton further six minutes later. Brimblecombe scored smartly again, but after a severe attack Pray put through his own goal. Play was fast, and the interval arrived with the score Everton 2 goals, Driuds 1.On resuming Cameron scored a third goal. Cornett moreured the lead shortly after. Everton played Cooper, a new man, who played with a science and skill. Result Everton 4 goals, Driud 1 . Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Balmer, and Struthers, backs, Barker, Wolstenholmes, and Hughes, halfbacks, Cooper, Gillan, Williams, Cornett, and Cameron, forwards.



January 5 1898 The Liverpool Mercury

The return game between the Rovers and Everton at Ewood Park draw together an enormous crowd for Blackburn, and the various passage to play were followed with a capital eagerness all through. The contests between these opponents are generally productive of a high standard of sport, and though Saturday's game was not what might be named a brilliant one, there were never more heated tussle and exciting. During the greater portion of the game play favoured the visitors who after scoring early on, looked like obtaining the full complement of points, but there could be no mistaking the eagerness of the Rovers in the second half, especially towards the close, and victory to them might easily have resulted had Everton custodian been at all faulty. The Rovers were enabled to finer level by that unsatisfactory adjunct of the game-the penalty kick had why they should have been favoured in this respect was not at all clear. As far as could be seen from the press box there was no infringement called for such a decision on the part of the referee, but this ruling and not altogether stand alone, as there were several minor grits to both sides that rather tickled the crowd. The ground was on the heavy side, and as show above mentioned efforts were mainly of an individual character, though there were spicy bits of passing at intervals that brought up the forwards play to a very prelitable standard. Chadwick was the most dangerous of the visiting forwards, and as his play is best befitted the occasion that he should put the ball into the net. J.Bell was kept well in check, but he nevertheless was often seen in some of his astonishing rushes, and on one occasion he would certainly have scored had he not been the victim of a trip by Brandon just as the final touches was forthcoming. The outside men were fairly successful, and at times L.Bell, who was unfortunately injured in the second portion, and was compelled to retire, ably kept them well in command. It was during this period that the Rovers were seen at their best, and but for the magnificent goalkeeping by Muir the Evertonians must have been defeated. His keeper's abilities were fully drawout in this engagement, and there can be no question that his services on Saturday were of the greatest value to his side. He made a gallant effort to save from the first penalty kick and that he did succeed in keeping out the second during the last few minutes of the game was a fitting climax to a brilliant all round performance. Like the opposing van, there was a surfeit of individualism on the Rovers side, but what was wanting in combination was made up for by their great dash, which they infused, into their play. Both sets of halfbacks had plenty of work on hand, and honours in this department must be accorded to Holt, and Booth. The pair often came into close quarters and there were many family incidents as the result of that close attention. Full back play was a prominent feature of the day's performance, and but little room was left for my adverse criticism. On the Rovers side Brandon was the better back as Glover several times let in his opponents; but Catter in goal beyond the early stages was never seriously beaten. It was a stubborn game all though, and the meeting of the teams at Goodison Park in the cup-tie could result in a great game.



January 5 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team, as it customary at New Year time, made the journey to Glasgow on Monday, accompanied by Mr. W.R.Clayton (chairman), and T.Keat and Mr. R.Molyneux secretary of the club. Unfortunately the weather was unfavorable, for heavy rain had fallen during the morning, and at the time of commencing operations there was little if any chance. There were several changes in both teams, and at 2-30 the sides lined out as follows, before about 6,000 spectators. Everton: - Muir, goal, Struthers, and Storrier, backs, Wolstenholmes, Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor (captain), Bell (j), Cameron, Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Glasgow Rangers: - Yuille, goal, Smith, and Drummond, backs, Gibson, Oswald, and Murray, halfbacks, Low, Kerr, Hamilton, Millar, and Smith, forwards. The ground was in a terribly sudden condition, and it was at once apparent that the game would be robbed of much of the attractiveness. Everton won the toss, and on the Rangers opening play the ball was taken down by the inside man and Hamilton defeated defeated Muir with a capital shot, after the game had been in progess but for a few seconds. On restarting the Rangers again made tracks for the Everton end, and Muir was called upon twice from the left wing, but eventually the Everton forwards had a look in, and from a smart pass by bell, Cameron put his side upon equal terms. Play for some time ruled fairly even, but eventually the Rangers left wing pair gave considerable trouble to the Everton defencers, and Smith twice tested Muir with difficult shots. J.Bell than had a clear course, but failed to get along on the heavy ground, and was easily outpaced by Drummond, and from the clearance the ex Liverpoolian Kerr gave the Everton keeper on awkward shot to negotiate. A fine combined movements, in which the whole of the Everton forwards took part, was warmly applauded by the crowd, and a splendid shot was sent in by J.Bell, which Yullie got away with difficulty. There was now no mistaking the earnestness of the visiting, who severely pressed their opponents, and only missed scoring on three occasions by the merest shade. Taylor was very accurate with his shooting but Yullie, like Muir was in excellent form. After a long stay in the Rangers half a movement was made to the Everton end, and from some misunderstanding between Stewart and Struthers, Hamilton was enabled to test Muir, who cleared, but only partially, and Low had no difficulty in putting the ball into the net, and giving his side the lead again. Upto this point the play, contrary to general expectation was thoroughly interesting, and on the whole there was very little to choose between the teams. On one occasion Smith was very lucky in diverting a capital shot from Cameron, and after several other attempts had been made to get through Hamilton led the way to the other end, and Struthers being defeated A.Smith was put in possession, with a resulting third goal. Still the play did not detonate in point of quality, and shortly afterwards the Everton left were distinctly dangerous, but met with stubborn resistance from the full backs. At length Drivers put in a capital centre, and Drummond being at fault with a shoot from Cameron, Bell dashed in, and scored nothing further being added upto the interval, when the scored stood: - Everton 2 goals Glasgow Rangers 3. Prior to the interval the attendance had increased considerably, and on returning Stewart and Robertson exchanged positions. Everton opened well and during one of several raids on the Rangers goal, Holt failed to take an easy chance of scoring, by miskicking. For some little time the Everton forwards kept up a persistent pressure on the home goal, but the sticky nature of the ground greatly discounted their chances of working. Still Yullie had several ugly shots to deal with, mainly from Taylor, and it was not until the second half, had been in progess for 15 minutes that the Rangers were really dangerous. Muir ably dealt with a couple of shots from Kerr and another from Hamilton, in quick succession. At length the Rangers had a spell of attacking, when Everton replied, and Cameron was somewhat slow in accepting a fairly easy chance to score. The home forwards then swept down in irresistible fashion, and Smith put in a capital centre, which Low tipped into the net, and further increased the Scotsmen's lead. Play had not long been resumed than both Robertson and Muir were at fault and Low taking advantage of the mistake placed the fifth got to the credit of his side. Bell then scored from a free kick taken by Holt, and a few minutes later Bell and Chadwick missed an easy chance of still further rubbing off the scorer. Nothing further was scored up to the close, and the Rangers won by 5 goals to 3. Considering the inclement conditions under which the game was contested the play reached a very creditable standard, for a friendly encounter. The ball was naturally heavy, and during the early stages it was a difficult matter for the players to time their passes with much degree of accuracy. As the play progressed, however, the game became much interesting, and its varying phases were followed with the keenest avidity. The Rangers were on the whole more comfortable upon the heavy turf and all round were a better team, though there was not two goals difference on the actual run of the game.

January 8, 1898. The Liverpool Football Echo
Ask any socker man down here which is the best lot in Thirstledom-Rangers or Celts! You are sure to get “Give it up!” or “It’s a toss up” We came across Dan Doyle in Gleagae, and found him holding strong views on the matter. Yes, Daniel made us thoroughly understand the Celts were the bhoys.
But, Idolized as he is by the people at Parkhead he “canna forget his auld Everton pals, ye kin, and his meeting with Mr. Molyneux was positively affecting. But “Richard was soon himself again,” and we knew that Everton was Everton still. The Victoria Hotel was the spot we made for after a journey of fie and half hours on Monday afternoon. After tea we went out to see what was to be seen. The streets wore an immensely busy aspect and we poor sons of Albion soon found out what the New Year really meant up there. Streets black with people, everyone careless, but merry, and golden legends hung outside every theatre –viz., “House full.” At Hengler’s however, the players were luckier, and Edgar Chadwick said that “He’d seen nowt like it so far.
The Tuesday morning opened wretchedly wet, and continued so till the evening without a break. This was the only unfortunate item on the bill, for Combination McKenzie and Small on the previous night, were at one in their belief of a 20,000 gate. But even 6,000 to 7,000 was not at all bad on such a day, and speaks well for Ibrox enthusiasm and shall we venture to Say? Everton’s popularity. Messrs Clayton and Keates were the directors who accompanied the team, and they were more than pleased by the treatment by the Rangers people, and particularly Mr. A.B. McKenzie. Introductions to the team were the youngsters Struthers and Wolstenholme, who were on trial in good company for the first time. The day was all against hem, however, and no doubt they will get a chance again before long. Wolstenholmes showed some grit, however, and tumbled to the correct game for the pitch, using his feet most effectively at times. Struthers and Stewart were altogether new as a pair of backs and Bill didn’t like it at all, for he pursued Robertson with beautiful innocence to change places at half-time, and at the light haired laddie remarked later. “He knew something!” Struthers admitted that it was not his day at all. Three seconds was about his limit for standing in say “one spot –he was fearful of getting stuck in the mud. Miller and Smith were a warm couple for him to deal with, and though he didn’t shine, he was not disgraced. He will be heard of again. The game itself was a surprise jacket. Ibrox Park is one of the best grounds in the kingdom, but continual rain affects it just the same as other grounds.

January 8, 1898. The Liverpool Football Echo
League Division 1
Chadwick Opens the Scoring for Everton
Although the season has turned the balance, the first meeting of these teams took place today at Goodison Park but somewhat cold withal. The Sheffielders always prove a great draw in Liverpool, and today’s match was no exception to the rule, a goodly crowd assembling some time before the commencement and the numbers increased is time went on. The Everton team was the same as that which drew at Blackburn on Saturday last and the Wednesday eleven was as strong as circumstances would permit. As usual nowadays at Goodison Park on the occasion of an important match a great amount of pleasure was derived from the performances of Gossage’s Prize Band, whose efforts were heartily appreciated by the crowd. Each team received a warm welcome as they filed on the field and took up the following positions;- Everton; Muir, goal; Meechan and Storrier, backs; Stewart (captain), Holt and Robertson, half-backs; Taylor, J. Bell, L. Bell, Chadwick and Divers, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday;- Massey, goal; Earp and Layton, backs; Brandon, Crawshaw, and Jamieson, half-backs; Brash, Ferrier, Dryburge, Brady, and Spikesley, forwards. Referee; Mr. Tillotson. There were about 12,000 spectators present when Stewart having won the toss, Dryburgh kicked off against a strong wind. There was not very much in the opening moves until Brady broke though and passed to his right, where Storrier nearly made muddle of his business but recovered in time to prevent anything like a dangerous advance. After a likely move by the Everton left Ferrier and Brush indulged in passing until Storrier broke up the combination. Then a free kick to Everton followed, but the visitors half backs became busy, with the result that Spikesley commenced one of his dashing runs but fortunately for the Sheffielders he ran the ball out of play. Following this the Everton front line went to work in earnest but they could make little headway against Crawshaw, Brandon and Earp whose efforts were of the most determined nature. Brandon eventually passed forward to his right wing pair, but although Ferrier and Brash played very cleverly Storrier and Holt proved of too heavy metal. Then the leather found its way to Taylor, who sprinted down the right his lovely centre being kicked away by Earp after Massey had missed and then Chadwick shot over the bar. Another likely attack by the Evertonians proved futile and from the kick out Ferrier and Brash got to work. Storrier again proved a stumbling block, but the ball was put across to Spikelsey, who though he worked cleverly with Brady, was soon brought to book. For the next few minutes the feature of the game was the grand display of Holt, who stopped the Sheffielders three of four times. Eventually Chadwick passed to Divers, the last named slinging the ball over to the right. Here Taylor sent in a weak shot which passed into the goal but the point was disallowed owing to the goalkeeper having been impeded. A free kick then fell to Everton, J. Bell heading over the crossbar Wednesday went next given a free kick which proved of little account. Divers coming away at a breakneck pace only to be unceremoniously bowled over by Earp. A moment later, however, Chadwick got in a long shot, which Layton allowed to pass him, but Massey got his eye on the ball and saved well. More play in the Sheffield half followed Earp, filling the breach when Taylor and Bell pounced on the ball. The Sheffielders then just got over the half way line, where Holt again showed up splendidly and prevented a further advance. After Chadwick had been rather easily beaten, Divers and he got down, and a free kick against Brandon led to a rather prolonged attack during which Massey gave a corner. Keeping up the pressure for some minutes, several shots were fired in by J. Bell, but at last Layton cleared, but although the visitors got as far as the three quarter line they were cleared out through an infringement of the rules. At the Everton end Spikesley shot on two occasions, but neither was successful. The Wednesday on coming again were met by Robertson, who miskicked, and Muir had to rush out to save. This work was only partially done, but Meehan stepped in and saved his side. Then Taylor made a splendid advance three parts of the way up the field where Crawshaw came in and robbed the Everton man very cleverly. This work was supplemented by a dash on the part of the home left, and after a while L. Bell got possession of the ball in the centre, and put in a terrific shot, which just passed over the bar. Another cross found Divers in possession, who slung the leather in the centre while Chadwick gave it further impetus and L. Bell finished the move with another splendid shot which Earp just turned away. Then Divers shot grandly by the side of goal, and after the kick out Chadwick endeavoured to work his way back, but was somewhat easily checked by Crawshaw. Storrier on two occasions proved of rare service by saving the well meant efforts of Ferrier and Brash, and at the other end of the field, Brandon gave a rare exhibition by rushing into the very thick of the fray and saving when the ball was going in from the foot of L. Bell. Chadwick next made a mistake by shooting too high, and end to end play doing the course of which there was nothing of a very starting nature. The game for some minutes was confined to the respective half backs and when the visitors did break through they were further aided y a free kick from which Dryburgh sent the leather by the side of the goal. A centre by Robertson was passed back by Taylor. Larry Bell only just failing to score. Another likely effort from Chadwick was missed by J. Bell and then Brash fouled Robertson, Chadwick was beaten, but Stewart sent forward and then a further free kick was given against Crawshaw and from this Chadwick wormed his way in and scored with a splendid fast shot the point only being allowed after the referee had consulted one of the linesmen. Following this, Massey was troubled on two occasions when he did very risky work by throwing highly to his left back instead of clearing. And for a time the ball was bouncing under the bar when he just managed to tip it over the crossbar and the corner coming to nothing. Crawshaw fouled Jack Bell, and Storrier put the ball into the net, but without it touching a second player. Everton had the best of the remaining play and led at half time by 1 goal to nil.
L. Bell restarted in the presence of about 14,000 spectators. From a return by Meehan from Jamieson the Everton forward ran very close up to Massey where J. Bell finished with a shot just on the wrong side of the post. Earp kicked out and despite several efforts by L. Bell and Chadwick to again get away they were sent back by the Wednesday halves who tackled splendidly. Strong work by Crawshaw and Brady and Spikesley away but Meehan cleared and Everton got down again without successful issue. Then Crawshaw coming nearest the mark with a long driver which, however, pass wide of the post. A rush by the Evertonians was cleared by Earp and then Meehan placed a free kick so well that Chadwick was enabled to have a try at goal, but sent wide of the goal. A moment later Wednesday got up again, and with a fair chance Dryburgh sent the ball wildly over the crossbar. At this stage however the visitors were bidding their own, and it required all the best efforts on the part of the Everton defence to keep them out. Subsequently the homesters got up to Massey and Taylor shooting, Layton headed back into his own goal, Massey rescuring his side from disaster in a marvelous manner. More play in front of the Wednesday goal ended in Brandon giving a corner, which Spikelsey cleared, but immediately after was pulled up for fouling Stewart, the free kick availing Everton nothing. Final; Everton 1 goal, Sheffield Wednesday nil.



January 10 1898. The Liverpool mercury

The first of the season's engagement between these League clubs, took place at Goodison Park on Saturday, before an attendance numbering close upon 16,000 . The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan, and Storrier backs, Stewart (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Massey, goal. Earp (captain), and Layton, backs, Bransdon, Crawshaw and Jamieson, halfbacks, Brash, Ferrier, Dryburgh, Brady, and Spikesley, forwards. The game opened evenly, but eventually the Everton right broke away and Taylor, sent in a clever shot, which Massey only partially cleared. Chadwick was in an good position, and had he been at all accurate the home side must have scored in the first few minutes of the game. For some little time the Everton forwards were busy in the Wednesday half, and J.Bell was only a trifle short of the mark on heading from a free kick against Jamieson. The spell of pressure was eventually broken on the Wednesday right wing breaking away, and under difficulties Storrier conceded a corner which was cleared by Stewart, and Robertson. Meanwhile Holt had been during yeoman services, and he now was the recipient of a round of applause as he frequently foiled the visitors in their attempts to get within range of the home backs. A free kick by Meechan was splendidly kept out by Earp, and a few minutes later L. Bell had a practedly open goal, his shot, which was at a terrific pace, just skimming the bar. Earp again saved from Taylor, who was just outside too late in a race for possession; but there was no denying the Evertonians, who returned to the attack and raised in shots thick and fast to no purpose. Chadwick eventually put over, and from the goal kick Brash and Ferrier raced away, the former player being, however, adjudged offside when in capital position for scoring. At last success came to the home side, as from a free kick Storrier put the ball well up, it rebounding from a back to Chadwick, who promptly put it into the net, forty minutes from the start. The same player was nearly though again, but Massey saved, and a header from L.Bell almost deprived the Wednesday keeper, who recovered himself and tipped the ball over the bar. Nothing came of the corner kick, and the interval arrived shortly afterwards with Everton leading by one goal to nil. On resuming the visitors had now the assistance of the wind, but still the Evertonians maintained the attack, and were early busy in testing Massey. Some sharp tussles between Holt and Crawshaw amused the crowd greatly especially so as the little man came off best every time, and it was not until the game had been considerably advanced the Blades reached the Everton half. Brash shot outside, and from the goal kick J.Bell with one of his characteristic runs almost brought about the downfall of the visitors, a further attack culminating in Earp luckily heading into Massey's hands from a shot by L.Bell. A determined attack following in which Chadwick played a most important part, and through the keeper was not beaten, his charge had several miraculous escapes. Holt continued to excel himself for he could do nothing wrong and claiming a free kick against Crawshaw. Stewart put the ball behind. There were now ten minutes left for play, and during this period several chances of scoring were allowed to past. L.Bell failed to take a centre from his brother, and latter both Chadwick and Taylor failed to find the net. The home side continued to hold the position up to the close, but could not score, and the game ended Everton 1 goal, Sheffield Wednesday 0.



January 10 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Chirk. Each side gave a splendid display of scenific football. The passing of both teams was grand, but the defence on each side was sound. The first half was evenly contested. Chirk had much the best part of the second half, and it was the splendid display of McFarlane in goal that saved Everton from defeat. The final result was a pointless draw. Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Barker, and Balmer, backs, Struthers, Wolstenholmes, and Hughes, halfbacks, Douglas, Williams, Cameron, Cornett, and Hiulligan, forwards.

January 15, 1898. The Liverpool Football Echo
Before saying that the Everton Club have a chance of taking the championship –which honestly I don’t think it will. With respect to their match last Saturday at Goodison Park against Sheffield Wednesday, there is the old, old story to tell. The Everton forwards with good enough for anything up to a point. They could trick, run and pass like as many opponents their can, there finishing is not. Of the visitors defence that kept Everton from scoring; it was their own poor shooting. A single goal victory no evidence of the play. If the Everton men had only been able to find the goal net the total might have reached about a dozen at least. There is no use in saying they did not try to score, because they did, but their efforts were made in such a manner as to suggest that they were ignorant of where the goal lay at times. I think if they were to aim at some object a dozen yards or so wide of the goalposts on which over side, they might be shooting, they would probably find the proper billet for the ball. With this exception Everton played a splendid game. But what is the use of showing good football unless it enables one to score. On Saturday they had no a weak spot beyond shooting at goal, but in this shortcoming they all seemed tarred with the same brush. On mere figures Everton would seem to be Sheffield United’s most dangerous opponents for though one point behind the Villa they have two games in hand. Still, they are four points behind the leaders and though they have a game in hand, the lead is one which will need a good deal of pulling up.

January 15, 1898. The Liverpool Football Echo
(League Division 1)
Everton Beaten by The “Wooden Spoonists.”
In order to meet their return engagement with the County Club at Nottingham, the Everton team, in view of a long and rocky journey down to the lace capital yesterday afternoon. The team was in charge of Mr. Tom Keats, who was subsequently joined by Mr. Molyneux and the evening was quickly spent at Bingham, a little village some eight miles out of the town. Mr. Clayton and several supporters of the club left Liverpool for Nottingham, early this morning, and on their arrival the team were found to be in the best condition and ready for the fray. Although the County club has been faring so disastrously this season, there has been mo falling off in their supporters and this afternoon’s match excited the keenest interest. The weather though dull, was fair, and there was a capital crowd present when the game began. It may be here mentioned that Everton will meet Stoke at Goodison Park, on Monday next in the League. Everton; Muir, goal; Meehan and Storrier, backs; Stewart captain), Holt and Robertson, half-backs; Taylor, J. Bell, L. Bell, Chadwick, and Divers, forwards. Notts County; Sharman, goal; Prescott and Lewis, backs; Crone, Calderhead and Stewart, half-backs; Langham, Carter, Bull, Bourcher, and Deighton, forwards. The Everton captain loss the toss, L. Bell kicking off from the Trent side end. The opening of the game was very even, the Evertonians being immediately checked in their first forward move, and Holt, Stewart and Meechan being responsible for the rush of the opposing side. At last Chadwick slipped along and crossed to his right, where Taylor continued the move, and forced Sharman to run out and clear. Shortly afterwards Boucher put in a clean run, but spoilt his effort by a weak pass, Storrier having a hand in staving off disaster. A lot of end-to-end play ensued during which Muir had to ran out to save a very fine shot from Carter. Then the Everton forwards advanced on the left, Chadwick putting in some clever work and passing across to Taylor, who in turn centred to L. Bell, but Prescott here jumped in and relieved. Meechan, who seemed to be lying too far up the field was beaten by Langham, but Stewart and Storrier covered him finely, and a moment later Everton were once more down in front of Sharman. Prescott relieved and the home side went as far as half way, where Johnny Holt sent the County men to the right about, and Bell put the ball forward. Taylor forced a corner, which Langely cleared and the Trentsiders immediately rushed away. Stewart and Storrier proved too many for the attacking party, but a free kick enabled them to come back, and at this juncture Holt proved of valuable service. A splendid centre by Divers was almost met by Larry Bell, but the Everton players jumped about too much with the result that he fouled one of the County men and a free kick against the Evertonians spoiled the whole move. Deighton replied on the left wing and came off with flying colours against Stewart until the pair got close to the goal line where the Notts player had to succumb. Following this Taylor was penalized well in, the Everton half and on two occasions within as many minutes the Everton goal was in jeopardy, Bull putting in a splendid shot, which Muir succeeded in tipping over the bar. Play calmed down a little, the home side being the first to recover, and when they did move forward they made matters pretty warm for the visiting defence. On two occasions Muir saved shots from Langham and Carter, but the home players came again and Boucher with a grand shot defeated Muir a second time, play having been in progress half an hour. The next moment a move by the County left electrified the spectators and a sharp pass was received by Carter who had not the slightest difficulty in scoring a third goal for Notts. About this time the home side pressed in the most persistent fashion, a grand shot by Carter being beautifully saved by Muir, and another from Langdon going slightly wide. From the kick out L. bell broke away, but was somewhat easily robbed, and Bull and Carter commenced a return more but their career was quickly cut short. Deighton continued the move and he was fouled by Holt the consequent free kick being taken by Calderhead. Muir met the ball fairly and squarely but in doing so he unluckily dropped the ball at his feet. Notts County thus scoring their first goal after twenty five minutes play. The scoring of these three goals naturally sent the home spectators well-nigh frantic with delight and the Notts men played up with redoubled vigour, the Evertonians were not slack in this respect and they replied by means of each wing, two of their attacks ending very unluckily. Stewart on the one side and Prescott on the other happened to be on the exact spot when their services were required. At the opposite end Boucher shot wide, and Chadwick made a similar mistake when he tried to capture the Notts goal. A miskick by Holt nearly ended in disaster, and but for the very effective covering of Meeham and Stewart, Deighton would assuredly have had a clear course. A clean bit of work by J. Bell came to a disastrous end owing to Taylor shooting inside, and a splendid run by Deighton followed, Stewart just getting up in time to intercept the pass to Boucher. A move by the Everton left was finished by a lofty shot from Chadwick but immediately following a corner was gained in the Everton right. From this the leather dropped into a little crowd of players and the next sight the spectators had of the ball was when Sharman allowed to roll into the net, the Everton players gaining their first point a few minutes before half-time was sounded. After Muir had been severely troubled Boucher and Holt came in collision, with the result that the former wretched his knee and had to be carried off the field. While the injured man was being taken off the field, the referee took occasion to call Holt on one side, and cautioned him as to his future conduct. The remainder of the play was mainly in the Everton half.
Half-time; Notts County 3 goals; Everton 1 goal
During the interval the Everton players remained on the field, and a portion of the crowd gave vent to their feelings with regard to the Holt –Boucher episode. Bull restarted, and Everton getting the better of the exchanges on the right the ball was forced out of play. From the throw in J. Bell improved Everton’s position, and from a neat pass by Taylor, Chadwick cased Sharman to run out. Then the County made play up the right, but Robertson especially put them to the right about, and the visiting forwards rushed away in fine style, but unfortunately the leather was sent out of play. Shortly afterwards Langham broke pass Robertson and made his way to the Everton end, but it only proved an abortive effort. Here by the way Boucher reappeared amid loud cheering, stepping along sprightly which caused a suspicion that the country man had been guilty of romancing when he was carried “helpless” off the field about five minutes before. Final; Notts County 3 goals, Everton 2 goals.


January 17, 1898. The Liverpool Echo
(League Division 1)
This fixture was originally made for next Saturday, but Everton having to meet Bolton Wanderers in the Lancashire Cup ties, Stoke arranged to come to Liverpool and play this afternoon. The visitors were represented by the same team which defeated Bolton Wanderers on Saturday, last, but Everton made a couple of changes. Robertson at half-back and Lawrence Bell centre, being substituted by Wolstenholm and Cameron respectively. There was a good crowd of spectators present, seeing that the match was an emergency one and had scarcely had any advertising, four or five thousands were present at kick-off. Stewart won the toss, and the visitors kicked off against a strong wind. Taylor at once had a run along the right, but was checked by Murphy. From a throw in the Everton forwards went away in a cluster and Chadwick from a long range, shot over. The same player again tried a shot, which was charged by Robertson. Stoke could not break away, and he next to try his hand was John Bell, who, however, only made but a poor attempt. Stoke tried to get down on their right, but were pulled up by Stewart who put his forwards on the aggressive again, and this time, Cameron put in a good low shot which found its way into the net five minutes from the start. From the centre Everton again took up the attack, and Chadwick all but scored and then Taylor shot in for Eccles to clear. The visitors from the kick out at last got off, and working their way down centre Johnson and Murphy each had shies but without effect. Once the visitors were in front of the home goal they were difficult to clear out. Maxwell put in a good screw kick, which Meehan rushed for and put over, the succeeding corner kick causing no anxiety. Then away went the ball to the Stoke end, McGeachan nearly headed into his own goal and directly afterwards Stewart received a kick from an opponent on the side of the face which was badly cut, but he went on playing. Directly afterwards Scholfield and Bell made a good run down the left wing, and when they seemed to have the Everton goal at their mercy Storrier nipped in and kicked out. From the throw in the home forwards raced up the centre and Taylor headed to Cameron who had a good opening but shot over. The kick out led to an exciting bit of play in front of the Everton goal. Mellor gave the ball to Maxwell, who put in a rare ground shot which Muir saved by throwing himself forward and scooping the ball out at the corner of his goal. Then Maxwell got the leather again, and again Muir made a marvelous save, which called forth the approval of the large crowd. Not satisfied Stoke still pressed and from a bully at the corner Storrier cleared out the raiders only, however, for them to come again. Still in front of Everton goal, McGeachan served up to Scholfield, but the latter, unfortunately for his side over ran the ball and lost his opportunity. Just now the visitors were having the best of the work, the Stoke forwards going into their work with great dash and determination which completely nonplussed the Everton men. At length the siege was raised and just as John Bell was within shooting distance Eccles rushed on the Evertonian and cleared. Everton, however, kept to their work, and this time Chadwick screwed in from the left and brought out Johnston. Before the attack was cleared Divers and Taylor each had a shie, and then Scholfield removed the struggle to the other end, but without offering any danger to the home goal. Give and take play was now the order, and from a scuffle round Johnston’s charge Everton were awarded a free kick close up to goal, which however, he bungled, and directly afterwards Chadwick sent in a raking shot from the left, which just missed.
Half-time; Everton 1, Goal, Stoke nil
Final Result; Everton 1, Stoke 1 goal
Everton; Muir, goal; Meechan and Storrier, backs; Wolstenholm, Holt and Stewart (captain), half-backs; Taylor, J. Bell, Cameron, Chadwick, and Divers, forwards. Stoke City; Johnston, goal; Robertson and Eccles, backs; Murphy, McGreahan, and Wood, half-backs; Johnson, Mellor, Maxwell, Hill, and Scholfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. Gilchrist, Manchester.

January 17 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team made the journey to Nottingham on Friday, and spent the night at a quite little place seven miles out of the town pararatory to their engagement with the whole exposits ‘'of the league''Unfortunatably the visitors were not thoroughly at their best for both Robertson and Taylor were ill owing to severe colds, and through out the game their display was not up to their usual standard. The County were short of Toone, and Gibson at 2-30 the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan and Storrier, backs, Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j), Bell (l), Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Notts County: - Sharman, goal, Prescott, and Lewis, backs, Crone, Calderhead and Stewart, halfbacks, Langhan, Carter, Bull, Boucher, and Deighton, forwards. Everton had all the best of the opening play, and within the first few minutes the County custodian was called upon to clear a couple of shots from the right wing. Pressure was maintained for some few minutes during which the Evertonians with any degree of accuracy might easily have opened their scoring account. The Notts right then gave considerable trouble to the Everton defencers, and Muir had a sharp shot to deal with from Langham. Taylor was then ruled offside when in capital position and on the play moving to the other end and Bell, sent in a splendid shot, which Muir reached, but was compelled to concede a corner in saving. After a further return, Holt was penalised, and Calderwood taking the free kick placed the ball into the net. Muir caught the ball, which had not touched a player in transit, but for some unacceptable reason the referee Mr. Kingscott allowed a goal this success coming after 20 minutes play. The Everton forwards then hovered round the Notts goal, but to no purpose, and a further return by the home van resulted in Boucher luckily meeting a centre from the left, and defeating Muir. Play was scarcely resumed when Langham added a third, and enthusiasm of the Notts spectators was at its height. Towards the interval J.Bell headed through for Everton, and then Holt and Boucher came into collision, the latter being carrier off the field. At half time the score was County 3 goals, Everton 1. On resuming Everton struggled hard in rub off the arrears, but to no purpose, for the home backs were playing a plucky and determined game. Sharman was however, called upon, and was quite safe, while shortly afterwards Langham brought Muir quite 20 yards out of his goal to save. Boucher now, returned, and joined the halfback's line, but for some time the Evertonians looked like getting still nearer their opponents score. J.Bell shot high over the bar from a fairly easy position, but a few minutes later the same player shot in close from the touchline, and the ball rebounded off Lewis into the net. Several times following this success the visitors had chances of putting upon level terms, but they were allowed to pass inheeded, and the game ended Notts 3 goals Everton 2.



January 17 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, before a large attendance. The play ruled in Everton's favour, Williams scoring with a splendid shot 15 minutes from the start. Half time Everton 1 goal Chirk nil. Early in the second half, Everton scored from a penalty kick, gained for fouling Schofield. J.Morris for Chirk give a splendid exposition of goalkeepering. Everton winning by 2 goals to nil. Everton: - Jowatt goal, Struthers, and Balmer, backs, Barker, Wolstenholmes, and Cooper, halfbacks, Hughes, Williams, Cameron, Cornett, and Hulligan, forwards.



January 17 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton, are tidy a most disappointing team, for when one expects them to pull through an engagement with moderate ease, they invariably gave butt an indifferent account of themselves such was the case on Saturday, for, without a doubt the display of the team was the most indifferent of this season's, or any previous efforts in League football. After the first quarter of an hour, during which period there was only one team in it, and that was not the altimate victors, the Evertonians never looled like obtaining full points, and when at length a goal was scored, against them, they appeared to give way to hopeless fashion. It is simply astonishing how a team of such repute should give up all confidence after the first defeat, and it would appear that the team to beat Everton have success ion seceded if they managed to first take the lead. With regard to the legitimacy of the point that enabled Notts to score their first success, there could be no question that the goal accredited them was a decided gift, for the ball in its transit from the free kick was absolutely untouched until it was well within the net. The referee was allow to recognise this matter, though at the same time, Muir was capable, in as much as he left the matter open to doubt by handling the ball, and there by affording the referee some tangible ground for deciding upon the point. A hasty decision was given, and unfortunately, the Evertoniuans were the sufferers. Still there was no reason why they should collapse as they did, for after the adverse ruling against them, they moved about with an air of childish petulance, and before they could fully realise the seriousness of the situration they were two additional goals in arrears. Such a contretemps was most astounding to those who have during recent weeks followed closely the movements of the team, and it would seen that all that is required to bring about their downfall is a reverse on the early stages of the game. Unlike other stern opponents the side appear incapable of playing an uphill game, and it cannot be said on Saturday that they did anything where by to preserve their reputation. Almost to a man they went about their work in most listless fashion, and it was somewhat of a coincidence that the two games with the County should be voted as absolutely the worst exposition in which the Evertonians have played a part for many season. On the actual play a draw would have been a fair result, for each side scored two legitimate points, and without discoming the success of the County, it cannot however, be denied that the were very lucky in emerging as well, as they did. To begin with, the goal that was absolutely given to them was as nothing in point of comparison to the adverse effect the ruling the referee, or rather the crowd, had upon the subsequently play of Holt and the team generally, and if ever a body of spectators had their own particularly wishes gratified to the full, that assemblage was to be met with at Nottingham on Saturday. One striking incident which it must be confessed had a most important bearing upon the play of the Everton team as a whole occurred close upon the interval, when one of the Notts forwards lay down in most comfortable fashion, and give solemnity to the proceedings by allowing himself to be carried off the field apparently in great pain. Holt was the subject of the spectators but the matter did not appear worthy of notice by the referee, and certainly not by those who were closely following the play, for the charge was a thoroughly legitimate one. However, to appear the crowd the referee though something must be done, and the expedient of calling the little man to task was resorted to which by the way, was thoroughly uncalled for. The absurdity of the whole affairs was exposed upon the Notts man making his reappearance a few minutes after the resumption and signallising the same by entering spiritedly into the game. From this point on Holt was never seen to much advantage, and the inside play of the Everton forwards suffered considerably; indeed, the Everton half back line proved a signal failure, and the work in this department must be chronicled as the worst display so far this season. Unfortunately Robertson was suffering from a severs cold, and the Holt incidents also tended to disturb the working the trio. The forwards were, as usual slow in converting chances and, under the circumstances, it would be advisable for the directions to give Cameron a trial in the centre. Considering the amount of work that was directed towards that position success must have been achieved beyond doubt and capacity been shown and it most be admitted that the equality was at a minimum on Saturday. Storrier again play a capital game and Muir in goal had not the slightest chance of keeping out the second and third shots that took effect. The home team after their initial success stayed a thoroughly determined game, and though their methods were not altogether of an unblemished character, they are to be complimented upon the plucky stand they made against their more formidable opponents. Crones, the right half back, and Prescot, who is better known in the immediate district were not over particular in their attentions to the Everton forwards, and from a sportsmanlike point of view, the game was their robbed of much of its attractiveness. Lewis, the left full back, a reserve man by the way, played a magnificent game, and the custodian on the whole got through his work with district credit. As may be gathered from the above the game was an unsatisfactory one, both from the ruling, and occasional rough plat, and on legitimate points scored a draw would have been hafitted the occasion.


EVERTON 1 STOKE 1 (Game 262)

January 18 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

Owning to the Lancashire Cup on Saturday against Bolton Wanderers, the League match against Stoke was rearranged today. The Everton having the choice of the ground were confident of getting a couple of points from the Stole eleven. The home side had two changes from that which did duty on Saturday, was, at halfback and centre forward, while the visitors were represented by the same eleven that played Bolton Wanderers. Under the guidance of Mr. Gilchrist, Manchester, the teams lined up as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Stewart (captain), Holt, and Wolstenholmes, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j), Cameron, Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Stoke: - Johnston, goal, Roberts, and Eccles, backs, Murphy, McGeachan, and Wood, halfbacks, Johnson, Mellor, Maxwell, Hill, and Schofield, forwards. There would be between 4,000 or 5,000 spectators present, which Maxwell opened the play for Stoke against a fairly stiffish breeze. Following the exchanges the Everton forwards gradually took up a good position, and on an effort on long range from Chadwick all but found the mark. The kick out brought no relief to the Potters for the Everton forwards continued to maintain an aggressive attitude, and after five minutes play Cameron took advantage of a mistake by Eccles and drove the ball into the net. Directly following the Stoke goal had a couple of narrow escapes from Drivers and Chadwick. Robertson luckily intercepts a smart shot from the latter. Gradually the visitors worked their way down, and gave the home backs much difficulty in defending their charge. Holt being particularly conspicuous in this effort to prevent downfall. Several free kicks benefited the home side greatly, for they followed with a persistence onslaught, on Johnston's charge, though to no purpose, as Cameron failed on his finishing touch, when in a fairly ease position for scoring. The Potters signaling their escape by making a determined raid on Muir's charge, and that individual simply excelled himself in keeping out two magnificent shots, under the most trying conditions. During the next few minutes it appeared as though the Evertonians would add further to their score, as they swarmed round the Stoke goal, and gave great trouble, until Chadwick put an end to the raid by shooting wide of the mark, and returning again Johnston was given a further opportunity of displaying his ability between the up right, several shots from the left wing being kept out with great cleverness. Nothing further was scored unto the interval, when Everton were leading by a goal to nil. On resuming it appeared as though the home forwards would quickly increase their lead, for the Stoke defenders were completely beset Taylor, and Cameron being especially prominent at this period. Directly following, however, a complete change came over the proceedings as Hill threaded his way along the left, and centring to Maxwell that player defeated Muir and put his side on level terms. This success infused new vigour into the Stoke players, who for a considerable time were busy in testing the home defenders. Storrier got through his work in creditable fashion, and after Cameron had temporally removed danger Maxwell again put the ball into the net, but the referee sustained Everton'as appeal for offside. There was now no denying the eagerness of the visitors to take the lead, for the spared no effort whatever in this respect, and for a considerable period Muir was powered with shots that called for his best efforts to save. Maxwell had a couple of fairly easy chances which were lost by faulty shooting, and with the exception of a few occasional short lived spurts, by the Evertonians, among whom Taylor was prominent. The Potters quite held the upper hand. They failed, however to gain further advantage and the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.

January 22, 1898. The Liverpool Football Echo
Attention was directed last week to the excellent chance the Everton Club possessed to appropriation the championship. Since then however, things have altered a lot for the Goodison Park players have been thrashed by two teams who are making a desperate struggle to escape the “test” games. I say thrashed by two teams for Notts County won their match against them last Saturday, while Stoke not only took a point out of Everton at Goodison Park on Monday, but to all intents and purposes gave them such a “putting up” in the face of their own supporters the like of which had never before been seen by a crowd of Everton supporters. A chance of taking League honours, torsooth? Don’t mention it. If there was a prize offered for “sulking” they would stand about the best chance of any team I know.
The match on Monday reminded me very much of a picture shows a small dock of sheep trying to break away from a corner in which they were penned, while Stoke were the legs driving them back again. It is certain funny to picture Everton cutting such a figure on their own ground.
But let us take a look at the Nottingham affair. First of all the Everton team were sent into the vicinity of the lace capital overnight to ensure them being in condition to meet the “wooden spoonists.” This in itself is something fresh. The men were billeted in the old and sleepy village of Bingham, and when they reached the classic enclosure at Trent Bridge on Saturday afternoon they commented the game in style which boded ill for the opposition. Evidently they intended trying to frighten the County team,. And after they had done this to their own satisfaction they slackened down into a “win-as-we-like” style. However, after the game had progressed for about half an hour, a foul was given against Holt, and from the free kick Stewart sent the ball over the heads of the players and under the crossbar. Muir fell back over the goal line, and caught the leather and flung it away, under the impression that the ball having gone into goal without being touched by a second player, it was “dead,” and placed it for a goal kick. However to the astonishment, Mr. Kingscott, the referee, ruled that a goal had been scored against Everton. Probably he is right, but it is a matter that requires further argument. If the ball had passed inside the net before Muir touched it, it was not a goal; it was as good s a “dead” ball. But then, here comes the argument. What constitutes a dead ball? Ought the ball to touch the ground before it can be claimed “dead.”? In the Rugby game a ball which passes over the line is considered dead. I should like the matter cleared up on a stronger authority than Mr. Kingscott. However it should be a lesson to Muir and other goalkeepers to let the ball severely alone on such occasions.

January 22, 1898. The Liverpool Football Echo
Second Round
Everton v. Bolton Wanderers
Great Match at Goodison Park
The “Trotters” Lead at The Interval
Divers and Stewart Injured
Divers Unable t Resume
No more popular team than Everton could have been drawn to visit Goodison Park in the second round of the County Senior Cup competition, the Trotters being especially favourities with Liverpool football enthusiasts and consequently they were loudly greeted by a large crowd of admirers. The weather was quite genial and spring like, rendering matters most pleasant for spectators, but the players must have found it much too warm before the end of the game. There was one alteration on each side from the eleven which are usually recognized as representative of the respective clubs, Balmer taking the place of Meechan, on behalf of Everton, whilst Davies supplanted Sommerville at right back for the Wanderers, the latter still suffering from injuries. The ground was in grand condition and the teams faced as follows;- Everton; Muir, goal; Balmer and Storrier, backs; Stewart (captain) Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Taylor, J, Bell, L. Bell, Chadwick, and Divers, forwards. Bolton Wanderers;- Sutcliffe, goal; Davies and Jones, backs; Paton, Brown, Freebairn, half-backs; Cassidy, Gilligan, Miller, Wright, and Jack, forwards. Referee; Mr. J, Lewis, Blackburn. There would be about 12,000 present when Lawrence Bell started, Everton at once making for Sutcliffe a charge, and Divers making the first attempt to beat the visiting custodian who, however, cleared to near the centre line. After Sutcliffe had again been beaten, Cassidy made off the right wing transferring to Wright but before the latter could make progress Balmer kicked the ball from under his feet. For some seconds after play ensued in midfield, after which Cassidy was again noticeable in a smart sprint, but Storrier pulled him up before becoming dangerous. The next item of interest was a dashing run between J. Bell and Taylor, the latter making a grand attempt to lower Sutcliffe’s colours, but Jones just diverted the ball outside, and from the ensuing corner the Trotters’ goal was subjected to a severe onslaught, Balmer bringing the pressure to a close by shooting over the line. Holt was applauded a very tricky move, this resulting in another attack by Everton but once more the defence proved matters of the situation. The Everton attackers, however, seemed to be in a very determined mood, and absolutely declined to be beaten back, and subsequently the Wanderers’ defence was constantly in trouble. There was too much finesse however, in front of goal and this alone assisted for no score unsuming. Davies was penalized for fouling Divers, Taylor almost heading in from a free kick, the ball passing outside by a few inches. Up to this stage Everton had been doing the bulk of the pressing, but the Wanderers, principally aided by Brown got a footing well within the reasonable half. Gilligan making one good attempt to score. At the other end Divers and Chadwick were very busy, the former all but beating Sutcliffe, who however, just managed to averted disaster. Bell then raced away unaided and after travelling half the length of the field, he tipped to Chadwick who again returned to the inside right, who shot however was a very feeble one. Divers a moment later, however, had very hard lines, Sutcliffe just accepting the ball from the corner, as it was entering the net. For the first time so far in the game, the Wanderers now caused uneasiness in the home camp, Miller having the goal absolutely at his mercy, but he missed in the most unaccountable manner. Brown bringing the pressure to a close by shooting over the bar. Holt received a free kick for the too close attentions of Miller, the leading to another attack on the visitors goal. It should have been stated that Divers had sprained his ankle, and had retired a few minutes before this, leaving Everton with four forwards. Lawrence Bell put in two lovely shots, but in each instance Jones headed them out in a marvelous manner. There was nothing of importance to note for several minutes and than Everton made a somewhat surprising attack, during which Chadwick put in one of his imimtable screw sots which all but beat Sutcliffe, but he just succeeded in charging in the nick of time, at this stage Stewart, for some reason was seen to leave the field, Everton’s forces thus being reduced to nine, and J. Bell fell into the half-back position. By a series of short rushes the Wanderers got well within shooting range. Jack ultimately passing to Brown, who transferred to Miller as an opportune moment, and the visiting centre had no difficulty in defeating Muir. Shortly after this a hugh cheer announced that Stewart had returned, and simultaneously with his reappearance Everton had a desperate attempt to draw level. Both the Bells had indisputable chances, but Jones somehow got his burly form against the leather and prevented it from entertaining the net. Very tricky work between the brothers Bell gave Taylor’s glorious opportunity, but he shot lamentably wide. From this to the interval Everton made strenuous attempts to score, but without result.
Half-time; Everton nil, Bolton Wanderers 1.
At the interval there would be some 15,000 present and when the teams re-appeared Divers was unable to accompany them, he having injured his ankle so badly that he could take no further part in the game. Miller restarted play, the Wanderers being the first to make headway. Wright early on putting in a grand shot, which Muir quite as excellently responded to. After this even play was the order for some time, the halves principally monopolizing the work, Robertson in attempting to clear an attack, almost drove the ball through his own goal, but it just went outside the post, the ensuing corner proving abortive. L. Bell claimed a free kick for a ball foul, but this did not yield anything tangible, though a minute later J. Bell just topped the bar. Play was very tame for a Cup tie Bolton seeming content with their score, whilst Everton, with their four forwards never could get into their proper stride. At length, however Gilligan and Cassidy but some life into the game, but Balmer proved a clever defencder, and twice pulled up the opposing forwards when danger threatened, whilst Muir on one occasion saved grandly from Wright, the latter making a further good attempt soon afterwards. At last Everton aroused themselves, J. Bell making off at terrific speed, and passing finely to Chadwick who put in a lovely shot, the ball just being diverted outside, but the ensuing corner kick was cleared by Sutcliffe and Jones, Paton at this stage was keeping his forwards well employed and as a consequence the Everton defence were kept busy, but at last the home citadel again fell, Wright taking deliberate aim from a long range, a magnificent shot –the ball entering the net close to the corner, Muir having not the slightest chance of saving. Imbued with the second success, the Wanderers hotly assisted Muir’s charge Wright again having a pop but Muir on this occasion cleared. Everton were penned close to their goal for some time, but at length Taylor managed to make progress along the right wing, but his centre was not a good one, and Jones sadly cleared. Everton had a further chance from a free kick, but though Storrier placed well, L. Bell did not get sufficient power behind his shot, and Davies cleared. Play invariably veered round, Miller putting in a good attempt, but a trifle wide the ball passing over the line. Holt beautifully checked a rush and passed along to the front rank, but they made indifferent use of the opportunity and Bolton were back again in a trice. A free kick further improved the Trotters position but Balmer gave relief, and play then ensued at centre for some time. At this stage Everton attacked very hotly, and Taylor banged the ball into the net, but the referee gave him offside. Five minutes from the finish a penalty kick was given against Freebairn from which L. Bell scored. Final; Everton 1 goal, Bolton Wanderers 2.


January 24 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup

There was about 9,000 spectators present at Goodison Park on Saturday to witnessed the Lancashire Cup contest between Everton and Bolton Wanderers. On the Everton side Balmer displaced Meechan, while Somerville stood down in place of Davies for the visitors. The sun was shinning brilliantly, when the teams took up their position, and the Evertonians having lost the toss were thus handicapped at the outset. At three o'clock the sides under the guidance of Mr.J.Lewis of Blackburn, lined up as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Storrier, backs, Stewart (captain) Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (j) Bell (l), Chadwick (e), Drivers (j) forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Davies, and Jones, backs, Patron, Brown, and Freebairn, halfbacks, Cassidy Gilligan, Miller, Wright, and Jack, forwards. Everton started and in the first few minutes Sutcliffe was twice called upon, though the shots did not require much efforts to clear. Balmer was then given a chance of playing his ability and in checking the speedy Bolton left wing with a subsequently capital kick, he at once came in for a hearty round of applause. Stewart then put L.Bell in possession with the result that J.Bell made off in one of his old dashes and was about to put on the finishing touch when Jones chipped in, and conceded a fruitless corner. A similar conoession resulted as the other and of the line, and on the ball coming out Balmer, with capitally judged efforts drove in front on Sutcliffe, though to no purpose, as Davies cleared strongly. The Evertonians were now pressing their opponents, and Drivers sent in a couple of centres, which were not put to advantage though it was not for a considerable period that the Bolton forwards were able to test the home defenders. On two occasions the left wing got well down, only to be at fault with the finishing touches and shortly afterwards Drivers having strained his leg left the field, and was unable to again resume. Still Everton continued to hold the advantage and twice L.Bell looked like finding the net, when Jones got his head in the way, and then Chadwick compelled Sutcliffe to fist out fairly difficult shot. At this juncture Stewart having been injured, retired for some minutes and during the absence of the two Evertonians the Bolton forwards were sent to better advantage, the result of smart combinations between Jack, Brown and Miller resulting in the last named player defeating Muir. A smart shot from J.Bell was charged down by one of the Bolton backs and then Taylor had a splendid opening, and after J and L. Bell had made the running, there being practically no opposition when the outside man shot wide. Nothing further was scored up to the interval, when the Wanderers were leading by a goal to nil. On resuming Everton with but ten men were quickly put on the defensive, Wright being early in evidence with a clever shot at Muir's charge. Storrier and Roberston got in each other's way, which nearly proved disastrous, and then for some little time the Everton forwards were busy in the visitors half. Chadwick forced a corner kick, which brought no advantage, and the visitors left racing quickly down, Wright put in a shot, which Muir failed to reach, and placed his side further ahead. Within a minute J.Bell must have scored had he been able to steady himself and signalsing their escape, the Wanderers made a determined raid on the Everton backs, who, however, withstood the pressure capitally. Freebairn stuck gamely to the Everton right wing pair, though his methods at times were rather questionable, but eventually Taylor eluded him in taking a pass from Chadwick and put the ball into the net, the point however, not being conceded owing to offside. A few minutes later Freebairn come under the ban of the referee for foul tackling with the twelve yard line, and L. Bell converted the penalty kick . The home side struggled hard to gain the equalising point, but this was not forthcoming, and in the end the Wanderers were return victors by 2 goals to 1.



January 24 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Crewe before 7,000 spectators. Cameron started for the visitors, who soon attack Latham, and no score took place. Crewe retaliated and both Ruggoyne and Brookfield missed easy chances.. Cameron as last broke away, and passing to Barlow a good goal was registered for Everton. Crewe now tried hard to equalised, and there is no doubt after experience hard lines from time to time. At half time the score was Everton 1 goal, Crewe nil. Although Crewe more than held their own, they could not score. Williams afterwards broke away, and Barlow scored a second goal for Everton. The railway man work hard and eventually Brookfield centred well, and Lovatt converted. The home side strove to equalised, but failed owing to the sterling defence of Everton. Result Everton 2 goals Crewe one. Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Struthers, and Barker, backs, Wolstenholmes, McKinley, and Highes, halfbacks, Williams, Cooper, Cameron, Barlow, and Schofield, forwards.



January 24 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

When a change has been effected in the performance of the Everton team during the past fortnight. Just as the supporters were hoped to getting brilliant finish to the season's programme- for ten days ago the team were in the running for the League championship-the Goodison Park contingent literately fell to pieces, and the present they are a very ordinary lot indeed. The defeat at Nottingham the previous Saturday and the miraculous escape at home on Monday last when complete surprise to those who had followed the performance of the team in previous contests but on Saturday last was a staggering indeed. All that is left now is left in the English Cup competition, and on present form it is difficult for one outline over the club's prospect in the direction. Such a state of affairs is altogether unworthy the name of Everton, with its instrict support and standing, and it is to be hoped that the players will strain every effort in the direction of restoring a confidence among there well wishes that it must be confessed experienced a very rude shock. The display of the team on Monday was of a most elementary character, and that on Saturday against the Bolton Wanderers in the lancashire Cup competition was if anything, little better, for through out the whole 90 minutes play there was nothing witnessed that vetted above the level of mediocrity. When it is stated that the visitors only reached a moderate standard, it can be readily imagined that the fare provided was far removed from what one anticipates in first class football, and this much is certain, that the managers of the Everton club are not getting full value from their money. Many a junior club in the district would have run either of the teams on Saturday a close race, and unless a complete and speedy change is forthcoming we may expect the natural consequning diminished gates. The Wanderers were fortunate in taking the lead during the absence of Drivers and Stewarts, for there could be no over estimating the value of their early success, as the points accented to infuse new lift among the players, and if their methods were not altogether of the drawing room type there come a dogged determination and persistence go headedness about them that brought about the desired result. Perhaps the bonus-by the way- the first that has been offered to the players- tended to encourage the visitors to success, and that they meant to preserve their lead was apparent at every turn, for kicking out, especially in the later stages, and resorting so rather shady tactics were by no means infrequent itemssss. Had Drivers and Stewart been on the field during the whole of the game the result might easily have been reversed, but even had that been consummated there could be no getting beyond the fact that the team had deteriorated in a marked degree. While the full complement were at command they got along all right in the usual sternly of fashion, out when judgement was required to outmaneuvers the visiting defenders they showed absolute for not once during the whole of the game was Sutcliffe tested with a shot that required above an ordinary effort to deal with, than several occasions there was practically, as open goal, and it must have been tantalizing to the supporters at the home club to see much chances go altagging. Up to the time that Driver unfortunately strained his leg there were some prospect of Evertonians making further progess in the competition, but after his departure the quartet rarely if ever gave nuch promise of retaining their reputation as holders of the cup. L.Bell improved upon his previous performances, and it would perhaps be kinder to restrain from further criticism of the van. The halves failed badly through Holt did well in the first portion of the game, and the ocius of the defeat certainly did not fall on the backs, of whom Balmer gave great promise of even better performance. Muir had no chances with the first shot, that defeated him, though the second was not altogether out of his reach, and it might have been saved at the expense of a corner. The Wanderers were fortunate in such that they had but nine men against then they took the lead; but though they did not play at all a pleasing game, they are to be congratulated on making full use of their opportunities. The halfbacks were wanting in attention to the forwards, who were generally left in make play for themselves, and there could be no question that if they devoted as much energy in the direction as they do on tackles the opposing van the team, their would be a clever lot. Like the Everton front line, the Bolton van missed easy chances in front of goal, and the only forward that gave much trouble was Wright who, in the second half especially, was seen to advantage. Both Jones and Davies, the latter filling Somerville's position, did very well, and as stated above Sutcliffe's cleverness as a keeper was never drawn out.

January 29, 1898. The Liverpool Football Echo
(English Cup-First Round)
25,000 Spectators
A Clean Sheet at the Interval
Williams Scores For Everton
A Gate of Over £700
The League competition gave way this afternoon to the battle for the insignificant-looking but most popular prize of the season, the English Cup. In the fortune of the draw Everton were compelled to face another popular Lancashire organization in Blackburn Rovers in the first round at Goodison Park, the game taking place this afternoon in fine though dull weather. The teams had met twice previously under the auspices of the League, but in each instance victory was denied to either, both ending in draws. The rubber this afternoon was therefore expectation upon, and the contest under notice, has been almost the sole topic of conversation in both the East Lancashire and seaport towns but it was difficult to meet one who would give a decided opinion in favour of either the Rovers or Everton. What was most important in the minds of everyone was that a good game was sure to be witnessed as both elevens favour the open and scientific style of action. The respective executives had to deplore the absence of regular players on account of injuries, Everton being particularly unfortunate, the right wing being entirely reconstructed while Taylor operated at the right half for the first time since throwing his lot with the Toffyites, J. Bell going to outside left in place of Divers. Thus there were only two of the front rank in their usual position. Hulse and Call were absent on the Rovers side, their places being taken by Leaver and Houston respectively. The full teams therefore, faced in the following order;- Everton; Muir, goal; Balmer and Storrier, backs; Taylor, Holt and Robertson, half-backs; Williams, Cameron, L. Bell, Chadwick and J. Bell, forwards. Blackburn Rovers; Carter, goal; Brandon and Glover, backs; Houker, Booth, and Williams, half-backs; Briercliff, Leaver, Proudfoot, Wilkie, and Campbell, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. B. Brodie (Stafford).
The spectators were somewhat dilatory in putting in an appearance but as time drew near the crowd was of respectable proportions, some 20,000 being present at the start. A hugh cheer announced that both sides were ready for the fray. Everton leading the way, being followed a moment later by the Rovers, both receiving a hearty reception. The conditions were favourable for the players there being no sun very little wind. Blackburn won the toss, L. bell sending the ball on its journey punctually to time. It was at once apparent that Everton meant business. Williams making a grand run and forcing a corner, from which Taylor put in a swift low shot, which Glover just got away in the nick of time. Cameron passed finely to L. Bell, who just failed to reach the ball before Brandon cleared, and then Robertson put in a magnificent shot, Carter having all his work cut out to prevent a score. The game was exciting enough in all consciences and Everton’s supporters had the gratification of seeing their favourities. Peppering the Rovers goal very determinedly. Robertson hit the crossbar from a free kick, Williams heading in but Carter again saved in miraculous fashion. For the first time in the game the Rovers now made so advance towards Muir. Some pretty forward work carried the game quite close to the home goal. Briercliffe putting in a fine shot but Muir behaved splendidly and saved in magnificent style. Even play ensued for a time, and then Everton made another raid a free kick giving the home side a chance of opening their account, but the ball was driven over the line. Campbell and Wilkie were the next to make progress on behalf of the Rovers after which the visitors took a free kick, this leading up to an exciting struggle in front of Muir, leaver ultimately heading over. The game was being contested with perfect good feeling and was exceedingly pleasant to witness J. Bell made tracks for the Rovers goal, but just when he was about to shoot Brandon dashed in and cleared. Taylor had a chance a moment later, but he made a mistake and from a subsequently attack Cameron shot wide. Like a flash the East Lancashire swooped down on the home citadel but Taylor distinguished himself well in his new position, and grandly pulled up the opposing left wing, and a second later Breiercliffe shot over the bar. Holt was twice conspicuous hereabouts otherwise it might have gone very hard with the home side. A free kick was taken by Everton, but no advantage was gained thereby, and the Rovers again assumed the upper hand, the Rovers being penalized for informality when Glover was taking a free kick. Cameron and Williams indulged in some fine passing, but the good work was spoiled by the latter shooting lamentably very wide of the mark. Proudfoot received the ball from Booth but unfortunately for the Rovers he was in an offside position or it would have been serious for Everton. Then Glover beautifully outwitted J. Bell and Chadwick landing the ball well up the field, but Everton were back in double quick time, principally through the aid of Balmer and Robertson, but L. Bell was pulled up for offside just as the ball passed into the net. A combined rush on the part of the Rovers almost ended disastrously for Everton, but by an almost super-human effort Holt succeeded in knocking Proudfoot off the ball. Twice Robertson was good in defence, this leading up to a hot onslaught on the Rovers goal, Driver (This has to be a mistake, not playing) almost doing the trick. Wilkie and Campbell made tracks for Muir’s charge, but Balmer compelled the former to run the ball out side. Following this Williams put in a very spirited run, but he passed somewhat injudiciously to Chadwick who shot weakly over the line. A fine advance movement but he was badly supported. J. Bell knocking the ball against Haulker, who removed the play to the dividing line. A moment later Campbell when in a fine position shot yards wide. The game during the next few moments was of the most exciting description, the Everton forwards going along in a style which was quite refreshing but unfortunately they failed at the critical moment. Chadwick however got in a splendid screw shot. Brandon putting up his foot and saving in miraculous fashion. Shortly afterwards half time was announced there being no score on either side.
Half-time; Everton nil, Blackburn Rovers nil.
On resumption of hostilities here would be fully 25,000 onlookers present, who eagerly discussed the prospects of the ultimate result Proudfoot restarted the Rovers quickly gaining a free kick, an attack on the Everton goal ensuing but intimately Balmer got the ball away. Then J. Bell got away splendidly, putting in a lovely centre, Brandon clearing before Lawrence Bell could get to the ball. Holt was penalized and from the free kick Muir effected a marvelous save. The game was being contested in real earnest and both side made strenuous attempts to gain the mastery, and as a consequence the spectators got full value for their money. Everton were having slightly the best of the exchanges and only indifferent shooting prevented a score. Cameron was the exception, and twice his attempts deserved a better fate. Robertson kept his front rank well employed, the rovers at this stage acting entirely on the defensive and J. Bell put in one magnificent shot, which just crossed the goalmouth and went outside at the corner. A free kick to Everton close in looked very ominous from the Rovers stand-point, Taylor placing the ball right into goal, Carter saving when surrounded by a host of opponents. Play now veered round. Robertson again performing like a Trojan, and aided by a free kick he home men again took up the attack. Robertson putting in a good buy futile shot. Everton still kept up the pressure with dogged pertinacity, but try as they would they could not find an opening, though L. bell made one galliant attempt to lower Carter’s colours. Williams and Cameron were to the force in a very smart run, the former putting in a beautiful centre, and after Carter had once cleared Chadwick put in a lovely shot, which however, just failed to find its billet. Robertson just after wards sent in very wide. The home right wing were displaying excellent tactics a pretty bit of passing by this pair being next noticeable, but it ended in nothing tangible as Brandon once more proved the stumbling block. The game was all being contested in close vicinity to the Rovers goal and although Carters’ charge was being continuously peppered, the defence withstood every attack, Brandon giving every assistance to the custodian. Larry Bell had a glorious opening, but instead of taking immediate aim he dallied –a golden opportunity being than lost, much to the disgust of the crowd. Proudfoot initiated a move in the direction of Muir, and Leaver, getting the better of Holt, matters looked serious for Everton but Storrier came to the rescue in fine style. At the other end, Williams had a shot, Glover giving a corner, but this proved abortive to Everton. Taylor soon afterwards shot in, Brunden giving a corner. This was beautifully placed, and Williams getting his cranium underneath the ball headed into the net. Carter making a gallaint though unsuccessful attempt to save. This achievement on the part of Everton was naturally received with a perfect storm of applause. Final; Everton 1 goal, Blackburn Rovers nil.


January 31 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

As is usual when these teams meet there was a capital attendance at Goodison Park, as at the commencement of operations there would be clear upon 20,000 spectators present. As play progressed the attendance increased and when operations were in full swing there would be quite 27,000 that witnessed the game. Owing to injuries to players neither club was represented by its usual strength, but the reserves did exceptionally well, nor little exception could be taken to the representation of the teams. At 2-45 the sides lined up as follows : - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Storrier, backs, Taylor (captain), Holt, and Robertson, Williams, Cameron, Bell (l), Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Carter, goal, Brandon, and Glover, backs, Houlker, Booth, and Killean, halfbacks, Briercliffe, Leaver, Ptoudfoot, Wilkie. And Campbell forwards. Everton lost the toss, punctually commenced operations, and having all the better of the opening play there were prospects of early lead. Williams forced a corner kick, but the Rovers custodian saved somewhat luckily and returning again Williams headed in only to be foiled by Brandon who, up to this point had been displaying capital judgement in clearing his lines. Retaliating the Rovers forwards worked their way up the field, but would exact no quarter from Storrier though subsequently Muir was tested by Briercliffe after Campbell had made the running on the other wing. The Everton forwards were next seen to great advantage, and had there been any accuracy in their finishing touchess they must have scored on more than one occasion. Eventually they was a spell of even play, and for some little time the respective backs were seen to great advantage both in tackling and clearing. At length Chadwick had an opening and sent in a grand shot, which Carter cleverly saved, and with the play mainly in Everton's favour the interval was reached with neither side having scored. Proudfoot restarted for the Rovers and Muir was quickly called upon to save. Storrier kicked strongly, and the whole of the Everton forwards bore down on the Rovers goal. Glover eventually keeping them out in clever fashion. Several fairly easy chances were afforded the Evertonians of taking the lead, but bad shooting spoiled their efforts. L.Bell especially being at fault. For some little time the Rovers goal was subjected to a severe pressure several capitals shots being either charged down by the full backs of luckily kept out by the custodian. Eventually Proudfoot got in a capital shot, which Balmer attained to successfully, and then a trio of corners was conceded the Evertonians. Williams converting the last from a finely placed kick byJ. Bell ten minutes from the close of play. From this point on the Rovers were hard pressed, but nothing further was scored, and Everton won a capital game by one goal to nil.



January 31 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

By their victory on Saturday, Everton have completely returned confidences among their many supporters, and a repetition of their latest performance should considerably enhance they prospects of success in the competition for the national trophy. But for a few days ago the prospects of the club was gloomy in the extreme, and the wholesome changes that were effected and in many quarters a most subsequently effect. However, there can be no questioning the fact that the team which represented the Blues on Saturday almost to a man must not be disturbed in forthcoming and if the executives are to have full satisfaction, for there never was a more earnest band of workers that represented the colours of the club. In the matter of further represntive in the cup ties, the selection committee men should not over look this point, that it is absolutely necessary that the physique of certain of the players must come seriously under their attention. League leadership is now the question, and careful nursing of the team for the only remaining honour is essentially the foresees duty of the club. To get nan exempt, none of the forwards gave a more astongling exposition of a winning team had did Cameron who has long been uncluded from the League team, and there can be no question that if he is included in the cup tie, he will prove an invaluable player of the team. At the present junctive the can ill-afford to run any risk, and though on his play, the ex Queen's Park man should not be left out of this team for next Saturday's League game at Sheffield, it would be advisable for the managers to take a broader view of his duration in the direction of giving this particular player a test propitiatory in the next Cup competition. Pouding subjects to Driver and Boyle, another matter of consideration of the directors in the performance of Williams as right wing forward and Taylor halfback. The former player like Cameron had a prominent amount of energy, when an excessive demand in not made upon him, and this was demonstrated to the full on Saturday by the way that he infused into all his movements. He is undoubtedly the strongest part of the Everton attack. The Everton forwards it must at once be stated that there was on the whole a great improvement upon the play in recent league games. Unfortunately L.Bell was far from being a success-hence the narrow margin of victory, and while the left wing men at times put in some clever work, they were far removed in effectiveness from the pair at the other end of the line. The dash of Williams and superb passing of Cameron made most striking feature during the game, and had the remainder of the quintet reached a similar point of efficiency victory of the Everton club must have been secured early on in the game. At halfback Taylor did very well in his new position, and while Holt was in his usual effective mood, Robertson spoiled his display by some very erratic shooting. Little serious fault could be found with the line as a whole for they tackled the Rovers forwards and broke in their combination with a parmisferncy that was truly refreshing to their supporters, and in addition they lost no opportunity of opening out chances to their immediately in front in front of them. At full back Storrier again played up to his best reputation, and sufficient had been written to warrant further trials of Balmer, who gave the impression of always being ready and willing. As a result of sterling back play, Muir was consequently never hard pressed, whilst Carter his vis-à-vis had a most anxious time especially during the later stages of the game. He repeatedly saved at close quarters, not without an element of luck, and the full backs Brandon and Glover, also played a very important part in the proceedings. The halves did fairly well and of the forwards, none did better work than Campbell and Wilkies. Taking the game as a hole, it was most spiritedly contested and the better side won.