March 1898


March 4 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

It is stated that Ellis Gee of chesterfield has signed for Everton football club, he has agreed to accepted Evertons terms, which are handsome while chesterfield club received £100 for his transfer the terms are said to be £4, 10 s per week in the football season.

EVERTON 4 BURY 2 (Game 265)

March 7 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League fixture of the season between these teams took place at Goodison Park on Saturday, and a crowd of some 12,000 put in an appearance to welcome the local team after their recent fine performance at Burnley in the third round of the English Cup-tie. With a view of giving a rest to Storrier and Stewart, the composition of the home team was altered, and there were also a couple of changes on the visiting side in the forward and halfbacks divisions. At four o'clock, under the guidance of Mr. T. Helmes, the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Barker, backs, Taylor, Boyle (captain), and Robertson, halfbacks, Williams, Driver, Bell (l), Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Bury: - Montogomery, goal, Darroch, and Davidson, backs, Wilson, Clegg, and Ross, halfbacks, Cust, Settle (j), Millar, Dobie, and Plant, forwards,

The visitors commenced operations, but the home forwards were early prominent, though they could make but little impression on the Bury defence. The visiting van retaliated and, after five minutes play, the home goal had a narrow escape, as the result of a fine shot by Dobie, following which Diver had a clear goal before him, but failed badly. The ball was quickly at the other end, where the Bury forwards similarly failed to take an easy opening, but returning again J.Bell sent across to Driver, who scored, after play had been in progess for 13 minutes. Following this success, the home forwards put on severe pressure, a capital shot from L.Bell being grandly saved by Montgomery, and a minute later it looked as though the Bury side would be on equalterms with their opponents, as a foul was close in against Boyle. However. L.Bell charged down, but not to be denied, the Bury forwards returned again, and Wilson was only slightly wide with a capital judged attempt. Barker subsequently cleared twice after Balmer had been hotly pressed, and after Settle had failed to take a chance from Plant. J.Bell sent in a lovely shot, which Montgomery only partially saved, and L.Bell meeting the ball, put it into the net, this second success coming after 37 minutes play. Shortly afterwards the Everton centre left the field owing to an injury, and during his absence the visitors scored through Cust, who with a curling shot completely defeated Muir. Nothing further was scored up to the interval, when Everton were leading by two goals to one. On resuming the Evertonians had again the better of the opening exchanges, but from a sudden break away the ball was put through the home goal by Wilson after several attempts had been made to clear. With the score even the visitors played up strongly but could make no impression, on the Everton defence. After J.Bell had failed to pilot the ball between the uprights, Chadwick dashed between the backs, and give his side the lead, and immediately afterwards Taylor with a fine effort almost added to the score. Muir was then compelled to save at the expense of a corner from Millar, and following a dashing run, by Williams, J.bell only just failed to take advantage of the pass. Balmer next charged down a certain goal from Millar and after Williams had again raced away, J.Bell had exceedingly hard lines in not effecting putting on the final touch. A corner kick followed, and Chadwick headed nicely in, only to find Montgomery on the alert. With the game drawing to a close the Everton forwards put on pressure and J.Bell had at last the satisfaction of seeing one of his shots finding the net. Nothing further was scored, and Everton won a fairly good game by 4 goals to 2.



March 7 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

In the view of the cup tie with Derby County, it was fortunate for Everton that they had not more formidable opponents than the present wooden spoonists on Saturday, for with such an engagement on hand a well earned rest was accorded to two of the Cup team players. However, stern encounter is likely to be the outcome next Saturday's contest, when the prospects finists for the English trophy-Everton and Notts Forest-will meet in the League engagement at Nottingham, and one will then be able to grudge the merits of the teams and probable situation for the coveted honour. This much is certain, that it will not be from lack of energy and downright determination that the resting-place of the cup will be denied. To Liverpool, and as the team is fortunately, to a man in excellent physical condition, they is every probability of such a consummate being relised. Reverting to Saturdays game with Bury, play was on the whole of a fairly good quality, but it cannot be chronicled at the Evertonians were kept fully extended to their best form. The undersiable position of their opponents on the League table rather added than detracted general interest, for the visitors recognising their precarious position. Lost no opportunity in the direction of extracting at least one point from the Evertonians. With the visitors thus straing every nerve in turn their chances to account the quality of play, was brought up to a fairly good standard, on the whole the game was generally voted an attractive one. The victory of Everton by four goals to two was a fair reflex on the general run of the game, but had there been the usual representation of the home club the Bury team would probably not have found the net. A satisfactory feature from an Everton point of view was the greatly improved play of the centre play of the centre forward, and a repetition of such a performance at Wolverhampton on Saturday week cannot fail to once again bring the team into the final stage of the English Cup competition. Conjointly with the left wing there was given a capital exhibition of the game as it should be played, and while the threes did exceptionally well the work of Chadwick by reason of its effectiveness could not be overlooked. J.Bell led up to the two goals obtained in the first half, and success on his part in the last minute was a fitting reward to his persistency, but at the same time there was not that excellent finish that one has previously been able to associate with his movements, and more frequently attempts to defeat the custodian rather than parting with the ball would undoubtedly benefit his side materially. The right wing pair were not a success, for there was a complete want of understanding between Driver and Williams, and of the two former was long way removed from the level of efficiency. At halfback the changes in personnel was not attended with any deterioration, for the trio gave a capital account of themselves, and were always equal to the demands of the Bury forwards. Boyle was included in the team for the first time since his injury at Sunderland, and though he showed signs of discomfiture in Holt's position during the early stages of the game he made amends later on, and left little room indeed for adverse criticism. Robertson again played a very fine game, and Taylor was altogether too smart for Plant, the Bury outside left, who was completely shadowed during the whole of the game. All round Taylor played with good judgement, for in addition to his tackling and powerful kicking when Bury were in close peximity to goal he never lost an opportunity of feating the visiting custodian when in anything like a favorable position. Balmer was in his usual reliable mood, and on the whole Barker came through the engagement exceptionally well, while Muir was unfortunate in having two goals recorded against him in rather simple fashion. The Bury forwards were capital exponents in the matter of making headway, but when it came to a question of scoring they were dreadfully deficient. Plant was the most effective of the quintet, and taking into account the really clever display of the half backs, the van should have proved more formidable opponents than they did. At full back Darrock played a very fine game, while Davidson was little behind in point of cleverness; and Montgomery was on two occasions like his vis-a-vis, somewhat unlucky in being beaten. Viewing the game as a whole, there was much satisfaction to be derived by both sides; for with stronger experimentation on the Everton side there is every prospect of the Cup coming to Liverpool, while Bury with the inevitable test games to face, will have to deteriorate considerably to be degrded from the select circle by any second League organisation.



March 14 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The meeting of Everton and the Forest brought together a crowd about 10,000 spectators on the City Ground Nottingham, and with the probability of the teams meeting in the final for the Evglish Cup there was more than ordinary interest centred in the event. On the Everton side Holt was given a further rest, and is it was not considered advisable to run any risk with Storrier, who has not quite recovered from the strain received at Burnley, Barker was drafted into the team at right back. The Forest were with out Forman, and Benbow reappeared in the centre. Everton won the choice of ends, and the Forest commenced operations facing a glaring sun. During the early stages the Everton forwards, ably assisted by the halves, were drawn to great advantage and had their finishing movements been as well directed as was their general play scoring must have opened in the first few minutes. Eventually Spouncer raced away, but Barker effectively pulled him up, though on a further return Muir had to fist out a capatally directed shot, from MacFarlane. Stewart cleared a further attack on the Everton goal, and following a smart run down by Taylor, L.Bell was afforded an opportunity of opening the scoring, but lost the chance by dallying. Closely following Robertson and Taylor both put in shots that only just missed the mark, and for some little time the Notts defenders were kept bunly employed in defending Allsopp. Chadwick then tested the custodian with a capital shot that was ably dealt with, and a long siege expires with Stewart putting over the bar. The Everton forwards maintained their aggressive attitude and after J.Bell had failed to get in a parting shot Taylor and Driver made the running, with the result that L.Bell was anabled to easily defeat Allsopp after 30 minutes play. Up to half time Everton had much the better of matters but there was a change in the score. On resuming the visitors were again prominent, and Drivers tested Allsopp directly after the start. J.Bell also attempted to defeat the keeper, and then benbow, who had gone halfback in place of Iremonger sent in a capital shot that brought out Muir's best effort. However, the home side could not exact quarted from the Everton backs, and several corners to the visitors followed with no disadvantage. McInnes who had gone centre forward led on sprinted movements, to which Boyle ably attended. Barker came into collision with Iremonger, the game being stopped for a few minutes, when on resuming the Everton forwards were again seen to great advantage. A bully in front of the Forest goal resulted in the ball coming out to L.Bell, who crashed it into the net, altogether out of the reach of Allsopp. Almost immediately afterwards Capes rounded Stewart and sent in a splendid shot past Muir. This success fairly resumed enthusiasm of the crowd, and it had scarcely subsided when the same player again scored. After Muir had partially saved from Iremonger. With the scores level the play-increased interest, but strive at they would neither side could obtain the winning goal, and the game ended in a draw of 2 goals each. Teams Everton: - Muir, goal Balmer, and Barker, backs, Stewart (captain), Boyle, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Drivers, Bell (l), Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Notts Forest: - Allsopp, goal, Richie, and Scotts, backs, Iremonger, McPherson, and Wraggs, halfbacks, McInnes, Richards, benbow, Capes (arthur), and Spouncer, forwards.



March 14 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. The home team assumed the upper hand, and Kirwan scored the first and second goal for Everton, Schofield putting on a third before half time. Resuming Everton held the advantage, and a capital combination was exhibited by the home quintet. Garston played for all they were worth, but could not score, and Everton eventually ran out winners by 5 goals to nil

Everton: - MaFarlane goal, Struthers and Meechan, backs Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Hughes halfbacks, Schofield, Cooper, Barlow, Kirwan, and Gee, forwards . (Placed 1 st game 19, won 13, lost 2, draw 4, for 54, against 17, points 30)



March 14 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The game between Everton and the Forest at Nottingham was vested with more then ordinary interest in view of the teams being the prospective finalists in the English Cup competition next month. Should such happen, the cup ought without doubt to find it resting place in Liverpool during next season for on Saturday the home side were a long way in arrears in point of merit, and were exceedingly fortunate in sharing the honours of the day. Everton failed on the score of bad generalship, for after having obtained so substantial a lead, the defence should have been strengthen, and nothing left to chance. Especially was this necessary, seeing that Barker had been partially crippled, and that the Forest skipper had changed the positions of three of his side to try what affect such tactics might produce. As is often the case in cricket the change of attack speedily brought about the desired results, for the Forest within two or three minutes succeeded in getting upon level terms with their opponents, and thus far are to be complimented. The legitimacy of the second goal that put them on level terms savored off offside, put no appeal was made, and here was another instance of the Everton team's lack of observation. The failure attention paid to the smallest details of training, and the stereotyped movements which give to a team concerted action are of periodically little advantage of the players are unable when occasions demands to embark upon a change of methods. The success of manoruvring was exemplified forcibly by the Forest, for there was scarcely an occasion when the Everton forwards were within range that a halfback and even a forward was on the spot to assist the rearguard. On the other hand, Barker, though injured, and Balmer were left severely to their own resource, and under such conditions, it was only natural that the downright, dogged determination of the Forest forwards would eventually assert itself in tangible form. With a view to coming cup tie, it is desirable that the Evertonians should accept a policy that nine teams out of every ten resort to when once they obtain the lead for the main point to aim at is victory, and this cannot be accomplished if the team by their free and attractive play leave themselves open to willy rushes of their opponents. Otherwise the manner of their exhibition leaves little to be desired, and profiting by their experience on Saturday they should emerge triumphantly through the remaining games of the season. Reverting to Saturday's contest, there could be no doubt as to which was the better side with regard to the progess and development of the incertain points of the game. The sharp, close passing of the Everton forwards was greatly admired as they wended they way to the Forest goal, and had there been a steadiness when within shooting range, goals must have been piled on. In recent games there has been a tendency to swing the ball from one to another in apparently aimless fashion, when close top goal, there by enabling an opposing back to chip in and nullify a movement that had hitherto been brilliant. There were many such incidents in the game under notice, and there could be no question that had the forwards, when in favourable position kept the ball low, the Nottingham team would have a heavy deficit before the game was half-way through. Taking the Everton forwards as a body, they, with the exception mention above performed in a very satisfactory manner, and as their position are not likely to be again disturbed, we may look for better results on Saturday. The half backs and full backs for the greater part played a thoroughly winning game, but towards the close they appeared to relax their efforts and the penalty of taking matters too comfortably was dearly paid. Muir had several ugly shots to negotiate, and came well out of the engagement for he had no chance of saving either of the shots that found the net. Beynold some fine defensive play the home side soared little above the average, and they were distinctly lucky in averting defeat. It was only at odd intervals that the forwards put any sting into their movements, and they were seen to better advantage after the line had been rearranged. Arthur Capes was the most deadly, and like L.Bell, had the honour of scoring both goals. The Notts halfway line did fairly well and in the second half Benhow, who had displaced Iremonger at halfback played a clever game, against J Bell and Chadwick. Scott and Ritchie had plenty of work on hand, and Allsopp gave one of his best displays between the uprights. All round it was a fairly good game, rather vigorously contested, and on the play the Everton team should have obtained full points.


March 17, 1898. Sunderland Echo

The Press Association Glasgow correspondent states that the Everton (Liverpool) and Celtic (Glasgow) association football teams have been approached by an English syndicate to visit America next season and play a series of exhibition games. The guarantees given are said to be promising, and are likely to be accepted. The Central News Glasgow correspondent telegraphs that an English syndicate has practically concluded arrangements to take Everton and Celtic football clubs to the United States next season to play series of six football matches in various parts of the States. The games will be exhibitive and educative.


March 21, 1898. The Liverpool Echo

(League Division 1)

Glorious weather favoured this return match at Goodison Park this afternoon. The previous game resulted in a draw of one goal each and notwithstanding Everton's inglorious visit to Wolverhampton –on Saturday, there was a good muster of the public. Though nothing like the number that would have been present had the journey come off trumps. Everton; Muir, goal; Balmer and Storrier, backs; Boyle, Holt, and Robertson, half-backs; Taylor, Divers, L. Bell, Chadwick, and J. Bell, forwards. North End; McBride, goal; Tate, and Dunn, backs; Hunter, Sanders, and Blyth, half-backs; May, Blessington, Brown, Pearce, and Hassell, forwards. Brown started for North End. After some close work in midfield both sets of halves were prominent. Tate had a return charged down by L. Bell, and McBride was forced to come out to clear and then a minute later Chadwick sent in a long shot, which the Preston goalkeeper caught and cleared finely. After this the “blues” were beaten back, and amidst encouraging about Halsall dashed along the left wing at a great pace and centring well, Brown was enabled to get in a good shot, which narrowly missed the mark. North End played well at this point and got plenty of support from the crowd. Balmer and Storrier had both to exert themselves and subsequently the Everton left got going again, and another attempt by Chadwick was beautifully dealt with. After this play ductuated a good deal and though rather tame was in favour of Everton. A good run and dribble by Taylor along his wing gave Chadwick the opportunity to rest McBride, the latter receiving a large handful. Chadwick a minute later made another splendid bid for goal this being led up to by a fine hit of passing on the part of John Bell, who giving over to Taylor, Chadwick from the centre sent in a grand shot the ball grazing the upright. Half-time; Preston North End 1 goal, Everton nil.


DERBY COUNTY 3 EVERTON 1 (Fac game 34)

March 21 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

This contest took place at Molineux Ground, Wioolverhampton on Saturday, but although the proprietors of the grounds had made extra provision for a large crowd owing to rain falling from an early hour the attendance did not reach 20,000, the receipts being £922. The County won the toss, but their opponents were the first to get away, and for ten minutes they were continually dangerous. They early obtained a corner, but it was fruitless, and immediately afterwards L.Bell sent in a shot which Fryer stopped in grand style. Taylor got past Turner, and had a shot, the course of the sphere being diverted by Copper. The County than broke away, but Everton were playing a vigorous game, and Fryer just managed to tip the ball over the bar, as a result of a splendid attempt by Chadwick. The corner was useless, and the Derby men getting away, Bloomer ended a run by shooting wide. The County men now commenced to give better expectation of the game, and at times they were very dangerous, the Everton defence being taxed to the utmost. J.Goodall and Bloomer put in several fine runs, and the inside right winger showed that he had recovered from his recent injury by the smart work he accomplished. It was due to the fine combination of this pair of forwards that the County succeeded in putting on the first point, the ball being sent in by Methven and treaded into the net by Bloomer, 25 minutes from the start. Encouraged to their success, the county men worked with renewed vigour, and for a time overshadow their opponents, who had to resist attacks of the most determined character. Fryer saved twice in smart style, and throughout proved himself to be a most capable custodian. Balmer saved from Stevenson when he looked like scoring, and Muir stopped a hot shot from Bloomer. After the latter had put in a fine centre which went abegging, Stevenson and McQueen were noticeable for clever work and J.Goodall led his men on with consummate skill, with the result that the County had the best of the exchanges for some time. Stewart was injured, and left the field for a time, but was able to return after the interval when the score stood Derby 1 goal, Everton nil. On resuming Everton showed slightly improved form for a time, but upto the close of the game their performance were somewhat disappointing, as their attack lacked sting. The County got down several times, but Holt, Balmer and Storrier showed themselves to be capable defenders and for a time play ruled in midfield. McQueen struck the upright, and the ball rebounded to J.Goodall, who missed by inches. Bloomer than gave Muir a hot shot to negotiate, and a little later he placed wide. Getting down again on the left wing, Stevenson and McQueen worked the ball across, and J.Goodall put in the second point while within a couple of minutes Driver, and Chadwick got possession, and the later play opened the Everton account. Fryer letting the ball slide off his hands. The game from this point was hotly contested but Bloomer put on another goal ten minutes from time, and the Lancashire men retired beaten by 3 goals to 1. The winning team were loudly cheered, some of the men being chaired off the field. Teams: - Everton: - Muir, goals, Balmer, and Storrier, backs, Stewart (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks Taylor, Driver, Bell (l), Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Derby County: - Fryer, goal, Methven, and Leiper, backs, Cox, Goodall (a), and Turner, halfbacks, Bloomer, Goodall (j), Boag, Stevenson, and McQueen, forwards. Referee Mr. Scragg.



March 21 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Chester, before a large crowd, Chester playing against the wind, scored at ten minutes play, through Spencer. The visitors could not equalised upto the interval. Everton scored shortly after resuming and pressed severely, Chester defended well, and than Blakeman scored a second goal for them, and seven minutes from the finish Spencer added a third and later a fourth.



March 21 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team are today no doubt thinking what they thought on Saturday-that there is no corner sufficiently large wherein to hide their self in order to tide over the time of a crushing defeat. Crushing indeed it was, for they were outclassed at every turn, and this must have came as a most unexpected surprise to those who have followed the progess and development of the club's career sine the rounds proper were entered upon. As a body, the Everton players were use the impression that they had entered upon the task without having formulated a plan of campaign, and this was rendered the more patent after the initial stages had passed by when in marked contrast their opponents bounded into their stride, and worked upon purely methodical lines until the end of the proceedings. Without a doubt the exhibition of the Everton team did not approximate the average standard, and had they been defeated by a wider margin, none that closely followed the game could maintain that the County had exacted more than their due. The movements of the Everton forwards were of a thoroughly Aimless character their attempts to combine most faulty, and their dallying whenever there was a chance of gaining an advantage completed the unsatisfactory order of things that prevailed. Individual efforts predominated, thus further disclosing the fact that no definite purpose had been determined upon, for everyone connected with the sport in prepared to admit that individualism at the expense of combination can never be depecided upon to win matches, and certainly not contest of such a nature as on Saturday. When concerted movements were indulged in, there were evidence of satisfactory ground being obtained until one or other would make a riducouly wild pass, which an opponent was always ready to pounce upon, and give his side an advantage. Such an untoward state of affair was not by any means confined to the forwards, for the work of the half and full backs was a long way removed from their hitherto high standards of excellence. The trio especially gave a very moderate display, and no doubt much of their ineffectiveness was the result of bestowing too such attention to the opposing outside man. This was most noticeable in the case of Robertson, and J.Goodall, for in the majority of tussles between the pair the Evertonian came out second best, his final touch from the veteran left the speedy Bloomer with a clear course. Holt had a big task to combat with the three inside men, and probably he was never more easily beaten. Stewart did very well up to the time his injury, but taking the work of the trio as a whole, it must be chronicled as the last successful of their performance this season. Then again there was an absence of that powerful and well directed tacking of the full backs that one has been lately accustomed to admire, so that taking everything into consideration, the onus of defeat does not in any way reflect upon the custodian. Had the usual standard of play been maintained by the team, the issue would undoubtedly have been of a very open character, for J.Bell was in splendid shooting form, and had he a fair share of attention there was every likelihood of the County goal giving way. After the first quarter of an hour the County played a thoroughly winning game, and fully deserved their right of participating in the final for the first time in their history. Should they then be in a similarly effective mood as on Saturday, the resting-place of the trophy is assured. The forwards eager and mostly unselfish worked with clock like procession. And rarely indeed was there a faulty pass or erratic shot. Their short crisp passing uncovering the ground was greatly admired, and the accurate centres by the wingmen always caused much anxiety to the Everton defenders. J.Goodall by his display show distinctly that he has lost none of his old cleverness, for when occasions presented itself, he found plenty of work to his confreres, and it was generally put to the best advantage. Boag played well in the centre, having little difficulty in defeating Holt, and making the quintet all round there was scarcely at faulty to be found within their performances. The halfbacks too were steady and resourceful, and both methven and Leiper compared more favorably than the Everton pair, while Fryer in goal got through his work in thoroughly business like fashion. This afternoon Preston North End oppose Everton in the return League engagement at Goodison Park, and with the exception of Stewart, who will give place to Boyle, the Everton team will be the same as on Saturday.


March 22, 1898. Glasgow Herald.

At Goodison Park, Liverpool, before 2,000 spectators. Preston started at 4-35, and play opened on level terms, both sides attacking in turn. Chadwick had several shots at Preston goal, and L. Bell struck the underside of the bar. Preston were often dangerous, but their efforts proved abortive. Brown scored for Preston. Half-time Preston 1 goal, Everton none. On resuming Everton pressed and equalised from a free kick. After several well-sustained attacks were made on Preston goal, and J. Bell had hard lines on two occasions. At the other end Blythe only just missed by inches, following which both sides lost chances through indecision. Towards the finish Everton pressed and had extremely hard lines. Result a draw of one goal each.



March 22 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

This return League fixture between the above clubs aroused but little interest for they would only be about 3,000 present when play commenced. Owing to the injury to Stewart in the cup tie at wolverhampton, on Saturday, his position was filled by Boyle, and at 4-30 the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer, and Storrier, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Driver, Bell (l), Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Preston North End: - McBride, goal, Tait and Dunn, backs, Hunter, Saunders, and Blythe, halfbackes May, Blessington, Brown, Pearce, and Halsall, forwards. Punctually to time, North End kicked off, the first attack coming from Everton though L.Bell charging down Tait's kick. McBryde however had plenty of time to clear, and put to the centre. In close following Chadwick tested the Preston custodian, and the ‘'Blues'' had a free kick which proved abortive. Then the North End forwards got into full swing, and Brown sent in a fine shot from long range, this barely missing the upright. The Prestonians kept up the pressure, and several well-sustained attacks were made on the home goal, but without result. Everton had a turn, which almost ended disastrously for the visitors, Chadwick however, being slightly wide of the mark at the finish. End to end play followed, without any noticeable incidents, play being rather tame. Robertson checked the Preston right in fine style, and a free kick gave the ‘'Blues'' a chance to open the scoring, the ball however. Going harmlessly over the line. Taylor next ran the ball up, but Chadwick shot wide, the effort however being a fine one. The play proceeded on even lines, but clever efforts were at a discount, touch threws being frequent owing to faulty kicking. If anything the home side were having slightly the better of the play, Chadwick only just missing goal, whilst a corner kick was spoiled owing to J.Bell lying offside. Two further attacks on the Preston goal were frustrated by the vigilance of the visiting backs, and then a free kick placed Everton on the defence. Sanders shot in hard, to find his effort, intercepted by Balmer, and next Preston forced a corner from which the ball was sent over the bar. Although they had a strong sun in their front, the North Enders were having none the worse of the game, and caused many anxious moments to the Everton defence, without, however, being able to do mischief. The efforts of the home forwards were likewise frustrated, and there was very little in it for some time, the only attack coming when J.Bell passed Tait and sent across to L.Bell, who struck the under part of the bar, the Preston goal undergoing a lucky escape. After a dash down by the North End forwards, J.Bell was again conspicuous, forcing a corner, which proved abortive, this being followed by Robertson checking May and Blessington. J.Bell was again prominent, but was ruled offside, a decision that was somewhat questionable, and although the ground was quickly recovered, it was a difficult matter indeed for the forwards to penetrate the stubborn North End defence. At Length Driver had a fairly easy opening from L.Bell but was slow to accept it, and Dunn chipping in was enabled to place his side in a more favorable position. For some time the North Enders caused much anxiety to the home defenders, but like their opponents, they were very slow to turn whatever came their way to good account. At length Tait took a free kick and placed the ball finely across to Brown who put it into the net a few minutes before the arrival of the interval. Immediately following this reverse the Evertonians were at the other end, but exacted nothing beyond a fruitless corner, and in close following Muir was compelled to run out in order to save a dangerous rush by the Preston inside men. Taylor next sent in a magnificent shot at McBryde but as on previous occasions, the custodian was not found wanting in resource. A spirited run by Taylor was the concluding item of the first moiety of the game. Which was in favour of North End by one goal to nil. On resuming the home forwards were the first to put in a spirited attack, but J.Bell and Taylor were faulty in final efforts, though both men were in fairly good position for scoring. A free kick against L.Bell brought a chance of venue, and on returning again the Everton centre was somewhat unsteady, with the result that Sanders had no difficulty in clearing. Balmer then took a free kick, from which J.Bell equalised. In quick success two further free kicks were conceded Everton, and nothing came of these though immediately afterwards the North End goal had a lucky escape from J.Bell, who raced across and shot slightly wide of the mark. Keeping up a pressure, Driver and .J.Bell were only a trift faulty in direction. McBryde next saved a long shot from Chadwick, and a long spell of pressure was at length broken on Sanders placing the ball well forward to Brown, who drove past Muir, only to be ruled offside, and again McBryde brought off a wonderful save from J.Bell on the latter breasting the ball into goal. Pearson and halsall than give Balmer some trouble, and for a few minutes the visitors as a body were seen to better advantage. Holt at this juncture was the object to close attention, by Brown, Sanders, and Blessington, but nothing came of the free kick, and in a trice play was at the Everton end, where Blythe made a splendid effort to defeat Muir. With only 15 minutes left for play, the Evertonians put forth desperate efforts to get the lead, but luck was against them on several occasions, when McBryde had lucky escapes, shots missing the goal by the merest shave. The North End defence, now strengthened, stood the persistent pressure well, and up to the close nothing further was scored, the result being a draw of 1 goal each.



March 28 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League game between these clubs was played at Burnden Park on Saturday, in very boisterous weather, before a gathering of about 3,000 spectators. Owing to an injury to Stewart, in the semi-final at Wolverhampton Boyle was included in the halfbacks line, and a trial was given to Barlow, who partnered Taylor on the right wing. Nicol again appeared in the Wanderers team, and at 3-30 the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Storrier, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Robertson halfbacks, Taylor, Barlow, Bell (l), Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville, and Davies, backs, Fitcroft, Brown, and Frrebairn halfbacks, Thomson, Gilligan, Cassidy, Nicol, and Gregory, forwards. Everton won the toss, and had the assistance of the strong oblique wind. The visiting forwards were quickly in their opponents half, where Freebairn and Somerville was kept busily employed the latter on one occasion cleverly converting Taylor from putting in a parting shot at Sutcliffe. Following this the Bolton forwards were seen to great advantage and Muir had to put his best forwards to get away in difficult shot from Nicol. Despite playing against the wind, the home lot were now very dangerous and following a slip by Storrier, Cassidy had a good chance to open the scoring, but preferred to pass the ball thereby enabling Balmer to clear. Holt was bust at this juncture, and eventually Taylor sped along the Everton right, only to find his centre forcibly cleared by Somerville. Three corners kicks than followed to the home side, none of which brought any tangible result, and the pressure was eased, when Brown shot over the bar. At the other end Sutcliffe saved and Taylor who with a second attempt put very wide also did Chadwick a few minutes later. Gregory and Nicol were next prominent, but Muir was equal to all emergencies and at half time, the teams cross over without a goal having been scored. On resuming the Evertonians had the better of the exchanges, and had a chance of further improving their position on Freebairn fouling Chadwick, but it was badly ntilsed, and the Bolton forwards got off in a body, Cassidy eventually testing Muir with a shot which the custodian was lucky to negotiate. However a further attack resulted in Nicol putting the ball through from a centre by Thomson, play having been in progess six minutes from the resumption. The Everton forwards now put on pressure but repeatedly failed to get anything like accurate shot at Sutcliffe who had a comparatively easy task. Thomson then headed over the bar, following which J.Bell and Chadwick improved matters for Everton, but as before the finishing touch was not forthcoming. Fitcrift caped capitally with the efforts of the Everton leftwing though a few minutes later a long kick from Storrier caused Sutcliffe to save. Gradually the play favoured the Wanderers and Muir was often called upon, but no further scoring took place, and Wanderers won a rather uninteresting game by a goal to nil.



March 28 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Garston. These teams attractive a large attendance, and great interest was centred in the game. The game was evenly contested in the first half, no goals being scored. Restarting the game was very exciting, the Works playing grandly and scoring through pugh, won by 1 goal to nil. Everton: - MaFarlane, goal, Barker, and Struthers, backs Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Hughes, halfbacsk, Schofield, Turner, Cameron, Kirwan, and Gee, forwards. (place 1 st , game 21, won 13, lost 3, draw 5 for 54, against 18, points 31)



March 28 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

Since the defeat of Everton in the semi final stage of the English Cup competition at Wolverhampton the teams seem to have literally fallen to piece, for against North End on Monday evening last, the local eleven never looked like a winning team, and the same remark apply befits the occasion of their latest display at Burnden Park on Saturday. The conditions that prevailed were of course; most unfavorable to the pursuit of outdoor sports, and for once in way teams that can adapt their style of play to existing conditions had a fairly good, time of it. In this matter the Bolton Wanderers gave their more notable opponents a start, for although their movements, were not calculated to throw their supporters into ecatnises there was nevertheless a determined spirit prevalent throughout the game that was totally wanting in the methods of their opponents. The vagaries of the ball caused for the high wind robbed the game of much of its attractiveness for combined methods were perforce a great discount. The kick and close following tactics that were adopted by the Bolton forwards compared under the circumstance favorably with the attempt at close play resorted to by their opponents, and as their better adapted themselves to the surroundings they fully merited their ultimate success. The Everton forwards have rarely indeed shown greater lack of resource, and their participation to the contest must be chronicled at a signal failure. Taylor appeared to be in one of his effective moods, but was supported to any appreciable extent, and of the others none approximated to their usual standard. The halfback line did fairly well, though they were never brilliant, and but little fault could be found with the display of the full backs and custodian. The Evertonians as a body never looked like winning, and the only surprise was that the verdict record against them was not of a more pronounced character. The Wanderers forwards were keener on the ball, and both against and with the wind they had more of the play than their opponents. Cassidy kept his wing well employed but the most dangerous player in the line was Nicol, whose centres and shots at goal always caused the Everton defenders much anxiety. The halfbacks also played a more effective game than their vis-a-vis and none did better work then Fitcroft, who was quite equal to the demands of J.Bell and Chadwick. Somerville and Davies were always safe, and Sutcliffe task was a comparative success. The game as a whole aroused but little enthusiasm, but there could be no doubt that the Wanderers fully deserved their success. On Wednesday evening W.Stewart, the popular skipper of the Everton team, takes a well deserved benefit, and as the newly organised New Brighton Tower Club, are to oppose the full League strength of Everton, the game should merit the full support of local fellowers of the pastime. An opportunity will then be afforded of renewing acquaintance with several hitherto shining lights of League football. Including Milward and Arridge, who have been closely identified with many of Everton's brilliant success achieved at Goodison Park. No player has rendered better services to the club than the beneficiary, and it is hoped that all local enthusiasts will take the opportunity of showing their appreciation of his sterling worth.



March 31 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

This match, which was arranged for the benefit of Stewart, the popular skipper of the Evertonj League team, was played at Goodison Park last evening, in the presence of about 3,800 spectators. At ten minutes to six the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal Balmer and Storrier, backs, Boyle (captain), Holt and Robertson, halfback, Taylor, Drivers, Bell (l), Chadwick (e) and Bell (j), forwards. New Brighton Towers: - Robinson, backs Gow, and Arridge (s), backs, McEleny. Anderson, and Alliosn, halfbacks, Hamilton. Henderson, Hammond (h), Tierney, and Milward (a) forwards. Everton started play, and during the early stages operations were mainly confined to the Tower quarters, Robinson dealing with three shots from Chadwick in capable fashion. Play then opened out, and the game took a very attractive turn, both sets of forwards keeping the ball low and close, while the backs on the whole timed and placed their kicking with capital judgement. The visitors had many opportunities of scoring, but they were generally faulty, with their finsing touches, and after 30 minutes play the Everton forwards were seen to great advantage, Robinson ably dealing with a splendid shot from Driver. Shortly following Driver passed smartly to Taylor, who sent towards the net, and Robinson, in attempting to clear with a flying kick, missed the ball, and the Everton account was thus opened. After 35 minutes play ends were changed with the score Everton 1 goal, New Brighton Towers nil. Resuming the Everton left were quickly busy, but Gow and Arridge presented a stubborn defence. After about five minutes play Milward put the ball over to the right, Henderson equalised. Shortly afterwards the Towers forwards were again well in front, and from a long range McEleny defeat Muir, the custodian being evidently at a disadvantage with the fading light. The Everton forwards now swarmed round the Tower goal, but they could exact no quarter from Robinson and the backs who acquitted themselves splendidly under high pressure, which lasted for fully ten minutes. A rush to the other end resulted in Hammond getting the better of Storrier and also of Muir, the Towers now having a lead of two goals. Nothing further was scored, and New Brighton won an interesting game by 3 goals to 1.