September 1897



August 17 1897. The Daily Post

On Saturday last An opportunity was given the football loving public of viewing the important changes and improvements of which have been effected in the appearance of the Everton Football ground during the summer months, and a large number availed themselves of the privilege. The new stand was greatly admired; it high proportions an excellent accommodation rendery it without doubt equal, if not superior to anything of the kind in the country. The Goodison road patrons also have also a fine roof, having been arrected over the stand on that side and it is commodateds upon 30,000 people can now be accommodated under cover, so that wet or strong weather is little likely to interfere with the gates in the fature. The player's pitch has also received adequate attention, Mr.Crawshaw having been indefatigate in his effort in this direction.



August 25 1897. The Liverpool Daily Post

We are informed that John Bell has decided to play for Everton this season, and that he will arrive in Liverpool tomorrow.



August 26 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

A practice match was indulged in at Goodison Park, last evening and the public were enabled to renew their acquaintance with old favourites, though the new capture was probably, for the time bring, persons of great interest. Over 12,000 persons were present; sufficient evidence of the enthusiasm which is awaiting the advent of the rapidly approaching season. The sides was delegated Blues and Whites, and as will be seen from the subjoined names the League forwards were pitted against what was probably constitute the defence in the early League games. The teams were as follows: - Blues: - McFarlance, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Williams, Cameron, Hendry, Littlejohn, and Schofield, forward. Whites: - Muir, goals, Barker, and McConnell, backs, McKinley, Douglas, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Bell (l), Hartley, Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. The game ended in victory for the Blues by 4 goals to 2, after spirited display, and judging from the form shown Everton should be able to place a capital team in the field. The splendid condition of the turf and the imposing appearance of the surrounding stands presented a spectacle, which could not be excelled on any football enclosure in the kingdom.



August 30 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

On Wednesday next the reign of the footballer begins once more for the space of eight month, but already there have been evidence that the campaign has commenced in the necessary work of preparation. Everton players have appeared before the public in a practice game, and it is more pleasing item to chronicle that the organisation are in undoubtedly better conditions than they were at the commencement of last season, and indeed in any previous season in their history. During the close season the Executive of Everton have been busily employed in catering for the comfort of spectators, and the enclosures are now admirably adapted for the pursuit of the pastime. The magnificent stand on the Everton ground is without doubt the finest in the kingdom, and as the materials of the old structure has been utilised for the purpose of covering the Goodison road stand the club now provide covered accommodation for 28,000, whole it is estimated that 50,000 can follow the progess of play without experiencing the least discomfort. The players have also been carefully considered for good dressing rooms bath, and recreation rooms have been provided. Coming to the players, and dealing with Everton there appears to be a plethora of talent at hand, and the selection committee should have little difficulty in placing a reliable team in the field. In the opening engagements there will be little change from last season's players, though should occasion require there is a richness of young blood at command that will reduce the hitherto disquitude of those in charge to a minimum. Macfarlane a Scottish international player will be entrusted with the position of custodian, and Muir, who also comes with a capital credentials, will doubtless have an opportunity of displaying his ability between the upright. Meechan and Storrier will resume their old positions as full backs, and in addition there are at disposal in this department capable reserves in Barker, McConnell (Glenbuck), and Balmer. The old and well-tried halfbacks line was wisely undisturbed and in Robertson McKinley, Gillian (Dumbarton), and Douglas (Tranmere Rovers), the executive possess a quartet which any club might be proud of. The resources in the forward line are all that could be desired especially new that J.Bell has decided again to throw in his lot with his old club. The familiar left wing will, owing to the defection of the popular outsider Alf Milward, undergo changes and probably J.Bell will be found in his old position in partnership with Chadwick. The other forwards upon whom the club, will mainly rely in League matches are Taylor, Lawrence Bell (Sheffield WednesdaY0, Hartley, and Drivers, while in Cameron, Williams, Hendry (Dumbarton) J.Chadwick (a Blackburn lad)Littlejohn (Vale of Leven) and Schofield, the committee have players able to take a position in any fist class team. The second string again enter the combination, and it goes without saying the honours in the competition will, as have been in previous seasons, be carried off by the Goodison road contingent. The prospects of the club were never brighter than they are on the eve of the season 1897-98, and while every credit is due to the assiduity of the directors in general, mention of the coming campaign would be incomplete without reference to the entering zeal of Mr.Clayton, the chairman and Mr. Molyneux the statute secretary.





September 2 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Marfarlane saved a Becton penalty kick

The season of 1897-98 was opened at Goodison Park, with what under ordinary circumstances, would have proved one of the most attractive friendly games possible, namely a contest between the two Liverpool League teams. A pitiless down pour of rain for nearly two hours prior to the match entirely spoiled all possibility of a big gate, and under the curtstances an attendance of about 3,000 at the start which afterwards increased to about 5,000, must be considered highly satisfactory. Both sides were strongly represented though Liverpool without Bradshaw and McCratney must be considered below their usual strength, and under the direction of Mr.J.Lewis the following players arranged themselves in representative of their respective sides. Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Meechan and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Sdtewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Driver, Bell, Chadwick, and Bell (j), forwards. Liverpool: - Storer, goal, Goldie, and Dunlop, backs, Holmes, McQue, and Cleghorn halfbacks, Marshall, Walker Cunliffe, Becton and Lunsden forwards. Liverpool started against a stiff breeze, and were early in a strong attacking position, which was terminated by McQue shooting over the bar. A foul against Stewart led to Becton receiving the leather and the maids inside left shooting with unerring precisions, a direct breach of the rules of the game led to a penalty kick being awarded the Anfield contingent. Becton, who drove the ball, direct to McFarlane the custodian saving on his knees amidst tremendous cheers. The clearance was pounced upon by Taylor, who raced to the other end, and passing across the goalmouth, J.Bell missed scoring, whilst a moment later Drivers sent over the bar, when in a good position. The Liverpool right wing was at this period showing excellent form, and after taking the ball to the home quarters Becton centred in grand style, but McFarlane cleared with commendable promptitude, and from his reply Cleghorn skimmed the horizontal with a long shot. The Liverpoolians cleverly robbed Taylor when about to shoot, and placing to his right wing, Marshall centred across the goalmouth, but Lumsden passed a capital opportunity by sending outside. Then Everton had a turn, and Taylor brought out Storer with a clinkling shot, whilst after apeated attempts by the Everton forwards near the Liverpool custodian, Goldie in trying to clear nearly caused the downfall of his goal. Again the visitors right sailed grandly down the field, but were weak near goal, and the Everton defence easily stalled off the feeble shots which, were sent in. the home right then run down, and Holt sent in a quick shot which tested Storer's ability to the full, whilst in clearing another from Chadwich the Liverpool custodian had to concede a corner McQue cleared, and after dispossessing the home front caused a temporary cessation of the attack, which was however, returned by Taylor, who gave L.Bell an easy chance right in front of goal, but a backward pass gave the defenders an opportunity to clear. Following this the Liverpool right wing had other fine opening, but the final effort were feeble, and caused the defenders little trouble. The weather had now cleared nicely and was considerately more favorable for players and spectators alike. A strong run by J.Bell led to Storer saving a short sharp shot, Taylor and Drivers again renewing the attack save L.Bell an opening, and the centre sent in a grand shot, which Storer brilliantly cleared. The Everton front rank was again prominent, but failed to pierce the fine defendce of Liverpoolians, and at half time, there was no score. On resuming play Everton were early prominent, and as curling shot from Chadwick was headed into the goalmouth by Drivers, but Storer scooped the ball away in splendid style, though awarding a corner, and from the succeeding kick the custodian again saved in splendid style. Everton continued to press, and Taylor just missed scoring by heading the ball on the wrong side of the post. The game then showed down considerably, but Everton at this period had the best of matters; and J.Bell, after taking the ball almost up to the goalmouth, grazed the outside of the upright with a fast low shot. Meechan repeatedly defeated the Liverpool left wing, and after robbing Cunliffe the home back took the ball well down the field, and with a long swift shot sent it through the bulk of the players into the net, Storer having no possible chance of gauging the progess of the ball. This success gave a welcome stimulus to the game, and after suffering a reverse the Liverpool forwards went down in capital style, and the ball was bobbing about in the neighborhood of McFarlane, until Becton received, and justed skimmed the horizontal with a grand shot. Still, Everton were the more aggressive, and Storer saved splendidly from Taylor at the expense of a corner, which was however, cleared, and Becton taking the ball down in grand style, enabled Lumsden to force an unsuccessful corner at the home end. A fine rush by J.Bell and Chadwick gave the former a splendid chance of scoring, but Storer took the ball from the toes of the outside man, when almost under the bar, making a really clever save, and Liverpool rushed the ball to the other end. Here a weak shot was sent in and Meechan in attempting to kick away, sent the ball into his own goal, equalising matters after about 25 minutes play. Everton strove hard to gain the winning point, but Storer was in splendid form, and saved a stringing shot from Chadwick, who sent in the ball from close quarters, Lumsden raced down from the reply, but after beating Meechan shot in from a long range, when there was a grand chance of going forward, and placing his side ahead. Eventually the whistle blew, the score at the finish being a draw-1 goal each.



September 6 1897. The Liverpool Mercury


The formal opening on Saturday of the magnificent new grand stand, which has been erected on the Everton Football Ground, at Goodison Park, lent additional interest to the inaugural League match of the season, which despite the dull and threatening weather was witnessed by a large concourse of people. Prince Ranjitsinhji who, by his excellent performances on the cricket field, has won considerable popularity amongst Lancashire people, had promised to declare the hugh structure open, but unfortunately the state of the health debarred him from undertaking that pleasant duty. The directors of the club were, however, to be congratulated on having secured the presence of so excellent a substitute as Dr. Morley, of Blackburn proved himself. Although now 63 years of age, the doctor takes a deep interest in every thing that concerns the advancement of the great winter game, and no doubt as a recognition of his services in the football world he has been elected the senior vice president of the Football Association. The directors of the club, together with a few friends, met Dr. Morley at the Adephi Hotel from whence they drove in open carriages to Goodison Park. The party included in addition to Dr.Morley, Mrs J.J. Bentley, president of the Football League, Mr. D.S.Lamont president, and Mr. R.E.Lythgoe, honorary secretary Liverpool Association; Mr. M. Earlam, president of the Fottball Combination, Alderman, T.H.Williams, Mr.W.Roberts, C.C.. Mr. F.Salisbury, postmaster; Mr.D.G. Williams, her Majest's Customs; Mr.J.Shaw, J.P.London and North western Railways; Mr.J.Nicholson, lancashire and Yorkshire Railway; Mr.D.Meldrum, Cheshire Lines Dr.Moore; Mr.Travis contractor for the stand; Mr. Woodhouse architect; Mr.G. Bowler, and the following directors of the Club: - Messrs, W.R.Clayton (chairman), B.Kelly (vice president), J.Davioes, J.Prescott, W.C.Cuff, J.Cradshaw, J.Brooks, A.E.Bainbridge, T.Keats, Dr.Baxter, and Mr. R.Molyneux (secreatry). On the arrival at the entrance to the directors reserved portion of the stand a large crowd of well wishes of the club had assembled, and here the formal opening ceremony was performed.

Mr.W.R.Clayton chairman of the directors of the club, in introducing Dr.Morley, remarked that the Everton Club had always endeavored to keep up with the times and for a number of years past they had been in the forefront of football. Their playing team had been able to hold their own with any team in England, as far as accommodation for spectators were concerned they had endeavored to be in the front rank. They were the pioneers amongst the clubs of England in covering their sixpenny stands thereby giving those who were the backbone of football clubs to benefit of a shelter during wet weather (applause). They had now gone a step further, and provided accommodation unqualled hitherto, in the magnificent stand they were opening that day. They had endeavored to get Prince Ranjitsinhji to perform the formal ceremony, but he was unable to be present. Many of them would have liked to have seen him in their midst, because of his success in the slater game of cricket. (Hear hear). But they had with them that day Dr. Morley, who was one of the pillars and leaders of football, and moreever, he was a Lancashirian. (applause). The doctor had always stood of Association football, and on behalf of the directors he (Mr. Clayton) asked him to accept a gold key and declare the stand open. (appause).

Dr. Morley having unlocked the door formally declared the stand opened. Proceeding, he said he felt somewhat like what, in the theatrical profession, was known as an understudy, (laugher) he was very sorry that Prince Ranjitsinhji was unable to be present that day, and he the more regretted it because he know the Prince personally, and knew that in addition to being an Indian prince, he was an English gentleman. (applause). The Prince was a star in the cricket field, and the papers said that Cricket was the end all and be all of sport in England. (a voce ‘'After football, and hear hear). All he could say was that to the leisured classes, who could afford to spend three days a week in the cricket field, that might be so. He (dr.Morley) was one of those, who believed in the greatest good to the greatest number- (applause)-and he also believed that the heart of England was rejoicing in the success of football. (Hear, hear). For every single person who saw and appreciated cricket, as he did himself, there were hundreds to whom three hours at a football match on a Saturday afternoon were an unalloyed pleasure (applause). He trusted that every other club throughout the country would follow Everton, having set the example of superior accommodation. (Hear Hear). He was not going to wish Everton success in winning the championship of English football-if he did they would not believe him_(Laugher)-for he wished that his own club might gain that position. (Laughter). He however, did not think it would, but he could only hope for the best. In reference to the new stand, he was satisfield that it was an acquisition, which would be invaluable to the Everton Club, and one of which, they might all feel proud. (Hear Hear). He trusted that they would be successful not only in their career as footballers, but also in that most important sense-have beumping good gates. (Appause).

Mr. J.Crawshaw moved, and Mr.J.J.Bentley accorded a vote of thanks to Dr.Morley, which was carried with acclamation. Whilst the little ceremony had been proceeding, football enthusiasts had been crowding into the various parts of the enclosure, and as Dr.Morley and the company, having inspected the new stand, walked round the field to the secretary's quarters, they were received with vociferous cheering on all hands. The new stand, viewed from the press box, had a most imposing appearance, and when filled with 7,000 spectators, it estimated holding capacity, the slight should be even more magnificent. The fair sex was strongly represented, and the excellent covered accommodation, is evidently much appreciated by them. The brilliant patch of verdure which forms the playing portion of the enclosure stood out in bright relief from the sombre surroundings, completing a picture probably unparalleied in any football enclosures in the country. At four o'clock a gleam of sunshine welcomed the appearance of the Everton team led on by captain Stewart, and closely in attendance were the Bolton Wanderers, both organisations being the recipients of hearty greetings from a crowd numbering quite 20,000. The teams took up their position as follows: - Everton: - McFalane, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Cameron, Bell (L), Chadwick, and Bell (J), forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sutcliffe, goal, Somerville, goal, and Jones, backs, Paton, McGeachan, and Freebairn halfbacks, Miller, Gilligan, Thompson, Wright, and Jack, forwards. The Wanderers were fortunate in the spin of the coin for they had the assistance of a stiff breeze, and during the early stages this powerful factor had a considerable influence upon their play. Their left wing, Jack and Wright were often seen to advantage, and they called for the best efforts of the Everton defenders to keep them out. The Everton forwards eventually led the way to the Bolton end, where Somerville and Jones gave a capital exposition of back play, and then followed a period of central play, during which the home forwards and halves were seen to be greatly improving in their methods of attack. Still there was no defeating the visiting backs, and from a timely relief by Somerville, Miller made off, and finally enabled Thompson to test McFarlane with a shot that was splendidly directed. The custodian cleared forcibly, and during the next few minutes determined attack was levelled on Sutcliffe's charge. On one occasion J.Bell was all but thoroughly, when the custodian took the ball from him in most dexterous fashion. At the other end Jack sent across to Gilligan when there was practically an open course for the latter, but the chance was not taken and a sustained pressure was once again waged in the Bolton half. Meechan and Storrier kept their men well forwards, and had shooting been at all accurate, the scoring account must have been opened. At length J.Bell sent in a rasping shot, only to see it returned by Sutcliffe. Holt and Stewart were now conspicuous in holding the Bolton forwards well in check, but relief came eventually from a free kick. Somerville drove on to Millar, who raced down and centred to Wright. The latter took the pass accurately, and put the ball into the net, altogether out of the reach of McFarlane. Getting to work again, the Evertonians continued to have the major portion of the play, and reward came at last on L.Bell defeating Sutcliffe with a splendid shot, the finale of some capital work by Taylor and Cameron. The Wanderers defence was now severely tested, but it held out until close upon the interval when Holt after foiling Thompson, initiated a movement on the home right culminated in Taylor placing the ball beautifully to L.Bell, who made no mistake with his finishing touch. Up to the interval Everton still had the better of matters, and when the whistle sounded the score stood- Everton 2 goals Bolton Wanderers 1. The second half opened spiritedly, and on the whole the play for some time was evenly contested. Jack and Wright were again to the forefront, but there were rarely allowed to get in a parting, shot at McFarlane. Meechan and Storrier were playing a fine defensive game, the splendid tackling of the former and the fine kicking of the latter having the effect of keeping the Wanderers front line completely at bay. Taylor was on the point of testing Sutcliffe when Jones luckily put the ball behind and from this point on the Everton forwards were kept badly employed in the attempts to lower the Wanderers goal. It was only at odds interval that the visitors were at all dangerous, and but for the magnificent defence of Sutcliffe, who dealt ably with the now greatly improved shooting of the Everton forwards, a substantial score must have been record. There was no getting through however, and when the end came Everton were returned victors by 2 goals to 1, an exactly similar result to that achieved in the opening contest last season, when opposed by Sheffield Wednesday on the same ground.

At the conclusion of the match the directors and others returned to the Adelphi Hotel, where dinner was partaken of. The chair was occupied by Mr.W.R.Clayton, and the vice chair by Mr.>j>crawshaw. The usual loyal toasts having been honored, the chairman submitted that of the ‘'Football Association and Football League.'' He remarked that the Association had done a great deal for football in England and it would be a sorry day when there was any series difference between the majority of the clubs of the country, and that body. He hoped therefore that the club would always work in unison with the Football Association. (Hear Hear). With regard to the Football League, it was one of the strongest organisations in existence and it had brought football to its present high standard of efficiency, as they had seen it that day. He contrasted the present with the past, when on some occasions they had to wait for an hour or an hour and a ball for the visiting team to put in an appearance and remarked that the Football League had done a great deal by making clubs turn up at the proper time. (Hear Hear).

Mr.J.J.Bentley (president of the League) responded. He pointed out that some years ago, when the League was formed, it was thought that it would be altogether antagonistic to the Association, but that had not been the case, for today the two bodies were working in through harmony with each other. (Hear Hear). The League had certainly made football progess, because before that body was formed the game was practically dying. The first thing the League did was to compel teams to turn up at the proper time with a representative eleven, and that, in his opinion had made the League clubs as successful as they had been. It had also been the means of making clubs provide good accommodation for the public, and in that respect he held-and he spoke knowing all the grounds in the kingdom-that Everton had shown the way. Their ground at Goodison Park, he throught could not be beaten, in the whole of the kingdom as a purely football ground; they had now erected a splendid stand, and had also provided covered stands for the working men, who were, as had previously been remarked that day, the backbone of football clubs. In fact, there was everything provided that the spectators could wish for. In conclusion, he said he hoped that in the furture the amateur and professional footballers would work together (Hear Hear). Mr. R.E.Lythgoe prosed a vote of thanks to the chairman, in seconding which Mr.W.Roberts c.c. remarked that they in Liverpool were justy proud of the Everton Football Club (Hear Hear). He thought that the team would holds its own with any club in the kingdom, and he wished them every success. (applause). The resolution having been carried, Mr. Clayton in reply, and that he had been a director of the Everton club for nearly ten years, and he could sat that at the present he had colleques who had always done their duty to the club (Hear Hear). The company subsequently proceeded to the Empire Theatre, where they greatly enjoyed the excellent programme presented.



September 6 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

No details.



September 6 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The Association football season opened in real earnest on Saturday, and in many instances the games were contested under most adverse conditions. Since the glorious ‘‘first'' the various grounds have had a thorough soaking, and, though in the majority of cases the rain had stopped before the time of commencing operations, the weather was of so unsettled a character that the gate receipts suffered considerably. In Liverpool, there were heavy driving showers during the forenoon, and it was feared that a damper would be placed upon the interesting function of the opening of the new stand, but, fortunately, brighter prospect were in store, and the weather clearing up the ceremony passed off many satisfactory. An hour before the advertised time there was a large crowd present, and eventually the attendance reached propertion that stood as a record for the day's matches. The opening of the stand, together with the fact that the Bolton Wanderers are always popular in the district, not to mention those two defeats that were administrated last season, helped to swell the crowd, and there could be no misgivings on the point that the spectators had ample return for their support. The ground naturally heavy after continuous rain, lent a somewhat laborious air to the proceedings, but still there could be no gainsaying the fact that for an opening encounter, there was but little left to be desired. At the very outset the Wanderers bounded into really first class form, and but for the fine efforts of Everton's last line of defence they must have laid a foundation that would probably have settled matters there favours. During this period the Everton front rank was thoroughly disorganised, in fact if we might except the rear guard, the discomfiture was pretty general, for it was not until the visitors had thoroughly outrun them selves that the home players were able to put together and work on combined lines. There was now a go ahead resistance displayed in the forward department, the halfbacks as of old settled down to methodical work, and quite an opposite complexion was placed upon the game. There could now be no two opinions as to where merit lay and though there was a surfeit of wasted energy, one could not help but admire the dogged determination of the players as they made for goal. Shooting was at fault, much to the relief of the Wanderers custodian, but with the Evertonians gradually, but surely getting into their old system of free and concerned movement, it was only a question of time that was required to establish their claims as victors. The left wing of the Wanderers was however, one that had to be seriously reckoned with, and at odd intervals this pair showed cleverness that more than once completely disconcerted the Everton defenders. Scoring honours first fell to the visitors, and the point was the outcome of a splendid bit of combination between the forwards, but they were not destined to hold their lead long, as Everton with redoubled energy had a goal in hand at the interval. The opening stages of the second half were contested with a spirit more closely identified with later matches. The labouring movements of the first portion of the game gave place to short, crisp passing by the halves and forwards and for fully twenty minutes the quality of play was thoroughly attractive. The Evertonians however, were always a shade more proficient than their opponents, whose forwards were rarely allowed to exact much quarter, as the Everton trio were now at their best; while on the other hand none but a Sutckliffe could possibly have dealt with the much improved shooting of the Everton quintet. On the day's play the home team thoroughly deserved their victory, though the result would have been a different complexion had the Wanderers forwards taken advantage of easy chances that occasionally came their way. With regard to the Everton team, they gave every promise of having a successful season. they certainly had to work exceptionally hard for their victory, and having once got over the trying ordeal of the first fifteen minutes, during which period they looked all over a beaten team they gave a spirited and skilful exposition of the game. McFarlane in goal came through has first serious test with great credit, his saving at close quarters being particularly clever. Meechan and Storrier played a most important part in the contest, and none could help but admire the cool manner in which the former repeatedly took the ball from an opponents toe, and transferred it to one of his halves with all the air of an accomplished forward. Storrier, too, played a fine game, his tackling and clean kicking being quite in keeping with his best display of last season. The halfbacks were some time in setting down, but when they get into their old stride, there was no shaking them off. Most of their efforts were directed to the opposing forwards, though at time there was a recurrence of this passing and repassing at which they are adopts that eventually opened out the game for their attacking line. The play of the forwards improved at the game progessed, but still the work was not as well distributed as one would wish. The left wing might have been attended to with more advantage results, but otherwise there was little to be desired, and the line as at present constituted should develop into a most powerful attacking party. L.Bell at once bounced into public favour, and there can be no question that he will eventually turn out just the man that the Everton managers have long sought for. His methods suited the two inside men to a nicety, and in addition to a good all round display he showed great resource when in command of the ball and knew exactly when to apply the final touch. His style is somewhat akin to that of Allan, when rendered such signal service to the Liverpool club last season, and now that he has got over his state of unrest we may expect great performance from him among his new friends. The right wings was prominent, and Cameron fully merited his inclusion in the team. There was not a more consistence and successful worker in the line, and given the same attraction that was forthcoming on Saturday, he should turn out not the least formidable of the Everton forwards. The whole line held a lead over the opposing forwards, whom display was most uneven. Jack and Wright were far in advance of their confreres, and almost all the attacks that had anything in them emanated from the pair. Miller, however, put in some clever touches on the right, but taking the line generally they gave a disappointing display. The halfbacks were kept busily employed and did their work well, while there was no deterioration. In the performances of Somerville, Jones, and Sutcliffe who formed a most powerful defence. Sutcliffe brought off some magnificent saves, especially in the second portion of the game when the Everton forwards had thoroughly the measure of the Bolton halves. Everton fully deserved their success, and with so evenly balanced a team as the club has not at its command a long list of success is anticipated.



September 13 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team opened their away from home season by visiting Derby. With the exception of J.Bell, who had not recovered from the effect of the collision with Sutcliffe on the previous Saturday, the Everton side was unchanged Drivers being called in to partner Chadwick. On the County side Turner made his first appearance in League football this season and, when the teams turned out, they faced as follows: - Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Meechan, and Storrier, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Stewart (captain), halfbacks, Taylor, Cameron, Bell (L), Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Derby County: - Frail, goal, Methven, and Leiper, backs, Cox, Goodall (a), and Turner, halfbacks, Goodall (j)(captain), Bloomer, Boag, McConnie, and McQueen, forwards . There were close upon 12,000 spectators present when Bell started for Everton, and at one tracks were made for the Derby goal, Drivers forced a corner in the first minute of play, but Stewart put behind, and from the goal kick the County forwards put on severe pressure. McConnachie executed a neat sprint down the left, and had apparently a clear course when Holt stepped in, and took the ball in clever fashion, it was however, quickly brought back again and following a corner kick off Storrier. Holt was in readiness for a well directed attack on McFarlane. At this juncture the Derby halves were simply irresible and the outcome of clever play on the part of A.Goodall and Cox was a fine movement headed by Boag. The centre put in a rasping shot, but Holt was in its way, though not sufficiently to effect the perfect clearance for the ball cannoned to Boag again, and was eventually put into the net, this success coming after ten minutes play. On getting to work again, the County forwards swooped down, and McConnchie had an easy chance to put through, but shot badly, and Taylor broke a long pressure with a clever run and centre which however, had no tangible result. Up to this period the play had been altogether in favour of the home side. The Everton forwards now had a turn, but their methods were not as combined as those of their opponents that they were consequently never really dangerous. However Frail was twice called upon and following a subsequent corner, the Derby right broke of in dashing style. Bloomer made tracks to the Everton end, and passing to J.Goodall, the latter easily rounded Stewart, and sent across to McQueen who returned the ball to his skipper, and it was promptly headed through. Three minutes later Goodall put in a magnificent shot to McFarlane who before he had time to, bundled into the net by Boag, the Custodian being so severe injured that he was compelled to leave the field. Storrier, who was also lame, the result of a collision with Bloomer went between the upright until McFarlane return. Meechan being left in charge of both wings. From a frre kick Boyle placed the ball well up, and Stewart put in a good shot, when Frail just managed to reach, and then the Derby van again attack persistently. Every time they got away there was danger, but up to the interval, nothing further was scored, the County thus having a lead of three goals to none. On resuming Cameron led the way to the Derby end, and Drivers was given a chance which, was not taken. J.Goodall and Bloomer were quickly in evidence, and Storrier who was limping in painful fashion, wisely left the field. McFarlane could only move about with the greatest difficulty, so that there were prospects of the county putting up a heavy score. Meechan was kept busily employed and attempting to both opposing wings, and for a time he met with a great amount of success. His smart tackling was greatly admired, but eventually he was beaten by the Derby right and following a movement in which Bloomer and Goodall passed, and repassed to each other, the former banged the ball into the net, twelve minutes from resumption of play. The same pair were responsible for another attack shortly afterwards, and it finished up in similar fashion, the inside man defeating McFarlane with a fine oblique shot. Following this reverse the Everton man attacked strongly in fact it was first glimpsed of their true form seen during the game, Taylor finiashed up with a shot that just went outside, and from a corner kick, Frail had to save from Boyle, under the bar. Cox eventually cleared, and then a stoppage was caused owing to A.Goodall deliberately kicking Taylor, and to the comternation of the spectators, the referee did nothing, but administer a caution. The Evertonians was badly hurt, and had to leave the field, so that the visitors a quarter of an hour from the finish, were left with but nine men to complete the game. Chadwick dropped back, and the three remaining forwards shared the attack. Play did fairly well and towards the close Drivers scored from Bell, and a most inglorious game was brought to a close, with the result Derby County 5 goals, Everton 1.



September 13 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

To those who witnessed the opening game of this season at Goodison Park between Everton and the Bolton Wanderers, the result on Saturday's encounter or rather fiasco, at Derby must have come as a complete shock. The defeat of the Peakies last season in the semi final of the English Cup competition, and the two league reverse were experiences under which the home club were smarting, and from the way they went almost their work when once the ball had been set rolling, there could be no divided opinion as to their downright dogged determination to take the lead in the first of the season's contests with their opponents. They simply astonished the 12,000 spectators that lined the enclosure by the tremendous amount of dash they infused into their play, and as this quality was common to the whole team, it can be readily understood how they so completely disorganised the Everton defences, scored early, and before the game was many minutes old laid a foundation that left the Evertonians in an almost hopeless position. The pace was exceptionally fast, and well sustained and played under such conditions, it can be readily imagined how such a game would savour of high feeling that is difficult to suppress. The tension became so acute that the attentions of the players became more personnel, and finally culminated in one of the most dastardly attacks ever perpetrated on a football field. This regrettable contretemps occurred towards the close of the game, and put quite a damper on the subsequent proceedings. Taylor, who up to this unfortunate period had been playing a most successful game, was the object of attention in this instance. The ball was out of play, and while the spectators were awaiting a resumption. A. Goodall ran up to him, and in a most deliberate and brutal fashion kicked him in the lower part of the body and so diabled him that he was only with difficulty assisted off the ground. Everyone present was fully prepared to see Goodall receiving marching orders, but to their astonishment he was allowed to resume in spite of a previous caution as the result of a tussle with Holt. The delinquent alleges that he was the victim of a foul attack by the Everton outside man, but there can be no excuses for such a course as was adopted, and it is high time that the game was rid of players that persist in bringing the code into dispute. It must not be supported that the County achieved their brilliant victory by resorting to unfair tactics. The ugly spirit was rampant in both teams, and unfortunately for Everton, they had by a long way the worst of the tussles. There was scarely a man on the visiting side who escaped uninjured, and the unfortunate ones had a thoroughly rude shaking up. All this might have been prevented had the referee taken a firm stand at the outset of the game. There were occasions, which called for more than the usual stoppages attendant upon infringements, and had the referee asserted himself, as he should have done, we would have had an undoubtedly fine game in place of a contest that was so frequently tinged with the cup tie wrangles of long ago, McFarlane and Storrier were rendered hors de combat in the first half of the game, and the latter after vainly endeavoring to clear a shot immediately after the commencement of the second half left the ground evidently in pain; while the latter incident already referred to practically left Everton with but eight men to complete the game. McFarlane moved about with difficulty, but still he got in the way of a few shots that looked like finding their way into the net. As before stated, the County on the playfully deserved their victory. The whole team worked together with a thoroughly understanding of each others play. There were exceptionally smart on the ball, and whenever they were in possession there was a method in their movements that stamped them as a far superior team than has lately been accredited then. The halfbacks were a most powerful line, and while fully attending to their forwards, they were always ready and generally effective in breaking up any attempts of the Everton van to get into one of their dangerous strides. The visiting halves compared very badly in this respect, for they seemed quite unable to stein the onslaught of the Derby forwards, and in great measure much of this was due to errors of judgement. Stewart; s mission was apparently to attend to Bloomer, but this player was in one of his best moods and consequently both he and J.Goodall had a merry time of it, the veteran being enabled to sprint round, and put in some very fine centres, which kept the Everton defenders extended to their very best efforts. Holt found Boag a very difficult customer to deal with, and of the three Boyle put in the most useful work. It was the department of the Everton team that contrasted most unfavorably. That sharp, accurate passing to which we are accustomed was entirely absent in the first period of the game, and when the forwards were despoiled by the Derby halves it was long odds against them being put into quick possession again. When the Derby van got going they were so ably backed up by the trio that they were always a source of great danger, and none could begrudge then their early success in the game. Boag one of last year's reserves played a great game in the centre and the right wing pair were more effective than the left. L.Bell was rarely given quarter, for A.Goodall was always in close attendance, and like the County, the right wing put in a large proportion of the useful touches of play. There was a lack of understanding between Chadwick and Drivers and, as was only to be expected, it was a difficult matter for the ex Celtic man at this early stage of his acquaintance with the team to do himself fully justice. Storrier and Meechan opened well, but following the injury to the former, they were frequently overrun, and McFarlane had absolutely no chance with the shots that found their way up to the time of his collision with Boag. He left the field for some little time and Storrier took his place, Meechan having the difficult task of combating both wings, and though the custodian returned it was painfully evident that he would be of very little assistance to his side. The Everton defence might have been strengthened immediately after the interval, for with several of the players in a belaloboured sate, it was too much to expect to get on even terms with their opponents, and more attention to defensive tactics would under the circumstances have probably benefited the side. The performance of Methven, Leiper, and Frail was quite keeping with the able display of their confreres, and should the County maintain such form in coming contests they will have a highly successful time. Meanwhile the Everton halves must bestir themselves.



September 14 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Last evening a friendly contest took place between these clubs at Goodison Park, the proceeds of the ‘'gate'' being set apart for the joint benefit of Chadwick and Holt, two of the most popular players in the Everton team. There would be upon 3,000 present when the team made their appearance, and faced as follows: - Everton: - Ashcroft goal, Meechan and McConnell, backs, Boyle Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Williams, Cameron Hartley, Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Preston North End: - Trainor, goal, Holmes, and Dunn, backs, Pratt, Sanders, and Drummond, halfbacks, Eccleston, Hargreaves, Brown, Boyd, and McLatchie, forwards. It will be seen from the list of teams that several of the Everton League players were missing, the result of the rather rough treatment they received at Derby on Saturday last, while the Northerns, with the exception of two changes in the forward line, were represented by the same side that draw at Anfield on Saturday. Play was commenced at 5-55, although the start was set down for six o'clock. Everton kicked off, and were quickly on the attack, Holmes, however, pulling up the left wing pair before they had time to become dangerous. Sanders helped the ball further up the field, but Holt checked, and the North End goal had a narrow escape, Drivers at the same time making bad miss when he had the goal apparently at his mercy. The kick out saw the Preston forwards dangerous, but it was only momentary, and like a flash, the ‘'blues'' were at the other end. Williams dribbled down finely, and at the right moment centred. Cameron received, and banged the ball into the net, Trainor making a futile affort to arrest its progess. The Prestonians were quickly ranged round the home goal following the centre kick Boyd having a futile shot, but had any of the other forwards been close up, a score must certainly have scored, the ball as it was going harmlessly over the line. At the other end, Williams had a try, the sphere however, flying wide of the post. Everton were monopolising the bulk of the game, and consequently the Preston goal was often the scene of play. Hartley on one occasion shooting into Trainor's hands when he had a pretty clear course. After a time a big kick by Dunn placed Everton on the defence, and Hargreaves shot in from a crowd of players. Ashcroft's view was impeded somewhat, and before he had time to clear, McLatchie tipped the ball though, thus equalising the score. Drivers and Chadwick next made play on the home left, the former sending across with the result that Hartley shot. He was given off side, however, and the subsequently free kick enabled the Prestonians to assume the aggressive Eccleson, however, sending wide. Again Hartley was at fault, with only Trainor in front of him, but a few moments later Williams made amends by shooting a really brilliant goal, the ball going quite out of the goalkepper's reach. At the other end, Brown tried his skill, but without efforts, the bar being topped while McLatchie delayed his effort too long, and Meechan cleared. Following this the Prestonians had a narrow escape, half time being signalled immediately afterwards with Everton leading by 2 goals to 1. Preston resumed, but as before the ‘'blues'' were the first to assume an aggressive attitude, only a few minutes elspsing before Williams defeated Trainor after receiving the ball from Cameron the effort being a fine one and well deserving the cheers that followed. Boyd and McLatchie worked their way down the centre kick, but the former finished up with an erratic shot that went nowhere near the goal. The Everton quitet forwards were in rare shooting trim, and with a less capable custodian between the sticks than Trainor the home score must have been considerably augmented, Chadwick twice in succession calling forth all that famous custodian's prowess. When North End did get away their efforts met with no success, the ball being generally directed in a wrong course. The home lead with further increased by Hartley, who gave Trainor as chance at close quarters. Another periodical visit by North End, was well attended to by Holt, whilst Robertson checked Divers and Chadwick before they could reach dangerous ground. At length however, the ball was put through the Everton goal, McLatchie again being the executing. The scoring did not end here, as another raid by Everton enabled Boyle to have the honours of beating Trainor for the fifth time, a further point notched by Chadwick being disallowed for offside play. The game was interesting, but the rapidly failing light made it rather difficult to follow the players movement. Before the close Chadwick got hold, and once more banged the ball past Trainor. The Evertonians were again doing most of the pressing, and narrowly missed scoring from a free kick fight in front of goal, Holt just lifting the ball over the bar. Nothing further was done, and Everton won by 6 goals to 2. The Everton team were seen to great advantage, and while the backs and halves were quite equal to the demands of the Preston forwards, the van were almost without exception accurate in shooting. The right wing played well throughout, and Hartley is the centre kept the whole line well together. The visitors defence was often overrun, and of the forwards the left wing pair were concerned in almost every dangerous movement towards the Everton goal.



September 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The Wolverhampton Wanderers have always been a powerful drawing team in this district, and Saturday's attendance at Goodison Park was no exception to the rule, for quite 20,000 spectators were present when the sides made their appearance. Owing to injuries neither Storrier nor Stewart were able to take their accustomed places in the home team, and Barker and Robertson occupied the vacant positions. The Wolves came with a strong team, and at four o'clock the players arranged as follows: - Everton: - McFarlane, goal, Meechan, and Barker, backs, Boyle, Holt, and Robertson halfbacks, Taylor, Cameron Hartley, Chadwick, and Drivers, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: -Baddlesley, goal, Eccles, and Blackett backs, Griffiths, Owen, and Fleming, halfbacks Tonks, McMain, Beats, Wood, and Miller, forwards. Everton lost the toss, and commenced the game facing the glaring sun. They had the better of the initial play; but found Eccles and Blackett in capital defensive form, and getting through was no easy task. The visitors mainly through the instrumentality of Wood and Miller. On the left wing, were prominent in several attempts to reach McFarlane the outside man eventually putting in a shot that only missed the mark by the merest shave. Shortly following Barker put the ball into the net from a free kick, but it had not touched a second player. Later on Baddeley was penalised for fouling Taylor, and poor shooting lost a capital opening. At the other end McMain had an open goal, but failed, and some smart play by Robertson enabled Hartley to score for Everton, after the game had been in progess 30 minutes. Miller continued the trouble the Everton defenders, and by sending in several smarts shots. McFarlane had many an anxious time. Towards the interval Divers put in a splendid shot at Baddley, who failing to clear, left his goal open, and had Chadwick, who had absolutely no opposition steadied himself, a second point must have been scored. At half time Everton had a head by 1 goal to nil, and on resuming Beats the Wolves centre levelled a capital shot which was ably dealt with and then the Everton forwards indulged in the only smart bit of passing as yet in the match Chadwick finished up the movement by forcing a corner of Eccles and play for some time settled down in the Wolves half of the field. Eventually a rush was made for the Everton end, and Meechan was apparently beaten, when Barker chipped in just as MaMain was about to put the finishing touch on. A magnificent effort by Cameron, who all along had been playing a most consistent game, resulted in play locating near Baddleys charge, and a second effort by the same player culminated in a splendid shot, which the custodian saved in dexterous fashion on the line. From a free kick Meechan placed the ball well forward, and on Chadwick taking aim the custodian kept the ball out, but failed to clear. Hartley was quickly up, and promptly put it into the net. The game player a few minutes later all but headed in a fine centre by Drivers, and a subsequent attack, in which Driver again took part ended in Hartley defeating Baddeley from long range. The Wolves fell off considerably, and nothing further being scored Everton winning by 3 goals to nil.



September 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

A hard fought game was played in Wynnstay Park. The Druids surprised even their own supporters by their display. They were the first to score, Trevor Owen sending the ball through from a penalty kick. R.Jones added a second, and then Everton had an opening. Upto being charged through his own goal with the ball in his possession. Nothing was scored in the second half. Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (w), and McConnell, backs, Chadwick (j), Gillian and Hughes, halfbacks, Williams, Roberts, Hendry, Littlejohn, and Schofield, forwards .



September 20 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Following that heavy reverse at Derby last Saturday's victory over the Wolves should completely restore confidence among the habituse of Goodison Park. At the same time it cannot be put forward that the Evertonians were so immeasurably superior as the score would naturally indicate, for in the general play there was little indeed to choose between the contesting sides. This match is certain that the Everton front rank has not yet approached to a level that will carry them successfully through games in quarters where they won such renown last season. A change in the attacking line is necessary, and it should require no great effort on the part of the directors of the club in order to place a quintet in the field that would hold its own against any line in the country. To even the most ordinary observer of Saturday's game, it was quite apparent that the display on the left wing was far removed from what one has been accumstoned to witness in this quarter and as there has been no improvement upon the earlier games, it is absolutely necessary for the selection committee to direct their attention to the end of the forward line. This inclusion of the brothers Bell would complete a line clever enough to satisfy the most captious critic, and judiciously rearranged the forwards could scarely fail to score goals. Owing to an injury to Stewart an opening was made for Robertson in the halfbacks division, and with all due respect to the ability of the popular skipper of the team, it will be a difficult matter to ignore the claims of the reserve man to further trials. The half backs line was far more effective than on the previous Saturday, but the standard of last season has not been reached though there is not much room for discomfiture at present. The Wanderers have a team at their command that has never been equalled in all round proficiency since their formation at a club, and though their victories and losses so far are equally divided they will undoubtedly, ere the season is much older take a prominent position in the table. They were unlucky indeed to receive so severe a drubbing for the general run of the play was not at all in keeping with the score. Their methods of attack at times completely disconcerted the Evertonians, the long passing of the forwards and close attentions of the halves being features that were often an augury of success. They were exceptionally clever in working the ball down the field, and it goes without saying that had they taken advantage of several ridiculously easy chances that the wing men opened out for the centre during the first portion of the game, the issue might have borne quite a different complexion. They lacked steadiness at critical periods and in no other respect were they inferior to their opponents. The work of the defence was solid throughout, and when the forwards become as proficient in final efforts as they are in working the ball down the side to defeat the Midlanders will have to pile on goals. The Everton forwards gave little promise of ultimate victory during the first half, and indeed, it was not until the last quarter of an hour had been entered upon they that they asserted their superiority to any appreciable extent. Most of the play that savored of danger emanated from the right wing, and the untiring display of Cameron had the effect of keeping the whole line extended to their very best efforts. This player never knew what it was to be beaten, and gradually the infection became general with the result, that the team obtained so handsome a victory. Taylor was not so successful as usual, but still he put in many fine touches that enabled Cameron and Hartley to keep the Wolves defenders fully employed. The three goals scored fell to the credit of Hartley, who all through played with a dash that was thoroughly appreciation by the spectators. This quality was exactly what was required, for it was his close following up that led to the first two goals, and his third, shot from long range five minutes from the close of the game was the result of a magnificent effort that fully merited the defeatening cheers ascended him. The left wing as stated above, was decidedly weak. Both men had comparatively easy chances, which were allowed to go begging-one when there was absolutely no opposition by the inside man, when there was absolutely no opposition. Driver appeared to labour under the high tension towards the close, but still, both men had something to do with the second and third goal as Hartley followed on a well directed shot by Chadwick, and promptly converted the return from the custodian while an accurate centre from Driver led to the third goal. At halfback, Holt played one of his best games, and during the first half, when the Wolves were most aggressive, his heading out from goal often relieved McFarlane of having ticklish shot to deal with. Beats could make but little progess and, in fact, the men had all their work cut out to get within shooting range. Roberston played a most successful game, though towards the closing stages he appeared to tire. This of, course, was only to be expected for a first appearance in a League match this season, in which the pace was about as highly strung as one can imagine. There can be no doubt that he was a great source of strength to his side, and now that he has acquitted himself so ably, much will be experienced from him in future games. Boyle was laboring under a heavy charge received early on, and consequently he could not do himself justice in the first half, but later his work left nothing to be desired, and the speedy left wing of the Wolves found progess a difficult matter. Meechan and Barker played a sterling game, and the shot that McFarlane had to deal with were splendidly judged and invariably well cleared. The Wolves forwards had quite as much of the play as the opposing van, but they completely lost themselves when a finishing touch was required. Miller was the most dangerous man of the five, though Wood, the inside man was mainly instrumental in his success, and the right wing, in Tonks and McMain often gave considerable trouble to the Everton, defenders. McMain shaped very well, though he spoiled his otherwise good display by allowing easy chances to slip, and the centre forward was too closely attended to by Holt to become at all effective. Owen was an indefatigable worker at centre half, but Fleming was weak, and both full backs got through a hard afternoon's work with great credit. Eccles was the more finished in his methods, through Blackett the ex Loughborough man, defended exceptionally well, and with more judgement in his kicking should developed into an excellent full back. Baddley, like McFarlane had several warm shots to deal wit. Those scored against him were almost impossible to keep out, and when the ball came his way there was a finish about his work that stamped him as a capable keeper. Taking the play all round Everton deserved their victory, but by no means was their superiority so pronounced as the score would seen to indicate.



September 27 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

The approaches to the headquarters of the Liverpool Ckub were on Saturday, of an unusually lively character. Long before the advertised time of starting the crowd were being Marshall into the area after the excellent fashion now adopted at the theates, and it was a matter of no small satisfactory that ingress was obtained with the slightest possible discomfort. Entering the enclosure half an hour before the game commenced, it was noticeable that the early corners had monopolised every coign of vantage and with the crowd still pouring in, it became a question as to weather the enclosure would fully supply the demands. At the commencement of the game there would be quite 27,000 spectators present, and this number was being perceptibly swelled, and when the game had got properly under weigh there would be quite 30,000 people on the ground. Much conjecture was aboard as to the probable constitution of the Everton team, but as matter turned out there was but one change from the side that so handsomely defeated Wolverhampton Wanderers on the previous Saturday. J.Bell appeared on the outsude left, and a few minutes before the advertised time for starting operations the sides lined up as follows: - Liverpool: - Storer, goal, Goldie, and Wilkes, backs McCartney, McQue, and Cleghorn halfbacks, Marshall, Walker, Cunliffe, Becton, and Bradshaw, forwards. Everton: - McFarlane goal, Meechan, and Barker backs, Boyle (captain), Holt, and Robertson, halfbacks, Taylor, Cameron, Hartley, Chadwick and Bell (J), forwards. Everton were fortunate in the spin of the coin, for their opponents had to face a brilliant sun, and had the further disadvantage of playing against the wind. The first item of interest occurred on the Everton right, as Taylor and Cameron took the ball splendidly down only to be eventually foiled by Wilkie, though on the play opening out Robertson pounced upon the ball tested Storer with a capital shot. Cunliffe then looked like making progess, when Walker unfortunately hampered him, and on the Liverpoolians again returning the game was stopped owing to a section of the spectators on the Oakfield road side getting over the barriers and encroaching upon the field of play. After a delay of five minutes, order was restored, and the game resumed. A short spell of midfield play ended in a free kick to Liverpool, and at once Bradshaw raced finely down the win. He out manceurved Meechan and centred accurately to Walker, who headed in, only to find McFarlane ready to fist the ball out of goal. A diversion on the Everton left resulted in Hartley testing Storer the custodian cleverly getting rid of the ball under difficulty. At this juncture the barriers behind the Anfield road goal gave way before the great pressure brought to bear upon them, and a further delay was necessitated. On resuming again, the Everton forwards had considerably the better of matters, though as a rule their shooting was of poor quality. Chadwick sent in a hot shot, which, however, did not trouble Storer, but success came at last, the outcome of a free kick against McCartney. Barker placed the ball well up, Cameron heading it in transit to Taylor who shot between the backs, and scored 23 minutes from the start of play. Everton again put on pressure, but it was short-lived, and a corner quickly fell to Liverpool, McQue headed the ball to Cunliffe, who had the misfortunate of secing his attempt charged down. but the mattered little as Walker met the rebound, and banged the ball into the net with a terrific force the teams being once again on level terms, after half an hour's play. Immediately afterwards Becton had an open goal but shot badly, and then McQue fastened on the ball, and from a long range rather easily defeated McFarlane. Following this period the Everton defence was somewhat rocky and another fine opening was made for Becton, but as before, when there was practically no apposition, his effort was very faulty. Nothing further occurred up to halftime, when Liverpool were leading by two goals to one. On resuming play settled down in the Everton half, and for a lengthy period the Liverpool forwards were busy testing Meechan Barker, and McFarlane. Becton put in two magnificent shots in quick succession, only to find the custodian exceptionally accurate in dealing with them, and then followed a smart sprint by Taylor, who aided by Cameron and Hartley, kept Goldie and Wilkie on tender hooks until the outside man unluckily put the ball wide. Directly following Storer effected a capital save form Cameron, but returning again, Hartley failed to utilise an easy chance from the wing when only the slightest touch was required to divert the ball into the net. There was now no mistaking the earnestness of the Everton forwards, and, but for Storer magnificent display, they must have got on level terms again. Bell headed in with a usual result-fine clearance-and a swift shot from Hartley just skimmed the bar. Everton's efforts now came to an end and the Liverpool van took up the running in to uncertain fashion. Bradshaw raced finely down the wing, and shot across the goalmouth, Marshall returning the ball to Becton, who headed into the net, thus scoring Liverpool's third goal. The Evertonians were now a thoroughly beaten team, and in one quarter there was an apparent indifference manifested that rather marred the hitherto capital efforts to stem the tide of defeat. With the exception of a few rushes along the Everton right, the play was firmly held by the Liverpoolians who eventually were popular victors by 3 goals to 1.



September 27 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

At Everton, before 2,000 spectators. The home team had most of the game in the first half, but could not break through the Star defence, the backs playing a sterling game. Roche scored for the Wanderers just on the interval. The second portion of the game was nearly all in favour of Everton, for whom Williams equalised after 40 minutes, Balmer notching a second. Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (w), and McConnell, backs Chadwick, Gillian and Hughes, halfbacks, Williams, Roberts, Hendry Littlejohn, and Drivers. Forwards.



September 27 1897. The Liverpool Mercury

Never in the history of local football has the Anfield enclosure presented such a magnificent appearance as was the case on Saturday, when the two premier teams of the city met to decide the first of this year's League engagements. The resource of the management's committee were taxed to their utmost to accommodate the tremendous crowd, and though the allotted space around the playing arena served for a time its pupose of restraining the surging multitude, which momentarily increased at a tremendous rate, the barriers altogether too frail for their purpose were eventually brushed aside in two separate instances as if they had been tissue paper. It was a well-mannered, good-tempered crowd, however, and with the assistance of a strong posse of police order was quickly restored, the invaders being allowed to squat along the touchline, and the game continued without further interruption. The arrangements for admittance were similar to those in force a fortnight ago when North End were down and from each entrance a long straggling quene of anxious would be spectators extended in many cases the furthers extremity being buried in some side street where the commendable qualities with which, patience is credited were being forcibly exemplified. This is a capital idea on the part of the Liverpool executive, and, as the plan works smoothly, will probably become an institution. Long before the hour appointed for the commencement of hostilities the best sites for witnessing the struggle had been occupied, and as every available space was quickly utilised by after arrivals the scene became more impressive, until, when the teams opposed each other on the splendid turf, surrounded by a mighty sea of faces, with a glorious sunshine enveloping the whole, the climax was reached. The bands of the seamen's Orphanage and the Liverpool Victoria did their best to while away the monotonous period of waiting prior to the commencement of the match, but other individuals who patronised the new stand were greatly tempted by the smooth iron supports to mount to higher points of vardage, and their struggles to attain what might be termed a bird's eye view of the game furnished tremendous amusement to the crowd roars of applause greeting the success of the fortunate ones. Even the roof did not escape the attentions of an intrepid half dozen, though the method of their ascent was enveloped in mystery. When the teams bounded into the enclosure, at ten minutes to four, loud cheers from their respective partisans burst forth, and it was evident from the appearance of the men that they were in splendid condition, and fully prepared for the coming combat. Unlike the majority of the game played between the rivals, the one under notice was a capital exhibition, and vastly superior in every respect to its predecessors. It was a fast, open display of exciting football, and the most pleasing feature was the absence of intentional rougness, in fact, with, one exception, nothing transpired which might have caused the most captions to avail and the contest served to demonstrate in a forcible manner that both teams had determined to play the games. For this spirit the players on both side deserve commendation, and a continuation of similar methods in future games will be gradually anticipating. To most followers of the game the result would come as a mild surprise. Previous games have in the majority of cases been very close struggles, with little or no margin favoring either side, and although the result of 3 goals to 1 in favour of Liverpool is more pronounced than the balance of play warranted, still the winners were the superior team, and fully deserved their success. There were more method in the Liverpool ranks, more determination, and their attacks were of a more incisive nature than those of their opponents. Although Everton had the advantage in the first half, as far as actual play was concerned, they were not so dangerous when in the vicinity of the goalposts as their opponents, and when this is taken in conjunction with the grand defence of the home backs, their failure becomes more apparent. Storrier was in his happiest mood, and proved an almost inpenstrateble barrier, even when the other backs had been beaten. That Everton gave a display much below their reputation goes without saying, even after taking in consideration the brilliant work of the Liverpool halves and backs. Their forward were disjointed, and the bulk of the work devolved on the right wing, which forms a most striking contrast to the other portion of the front rank. Taylor was the best forward on the field, he and Cameron giving Cleghorn many a rare tussle, and though the Liverpoolians stuck gamely to his tack, as he invariably does, the initiate cleverness of the Everton pair repeatedly asserted itself, and the deft touches in passing, combined with the dash and accuracy infused into their methods, made the most successful combination witnessed, throughout the contest. On the other side the left wing pair were practically useless, and their performance might with advantage be passed over without comment. In the centre great weakness was apparent, both in shooting and in controlling the players on either side, and as a body the quintet must be ranked as inferior to their opponents front line. The most distinguishing feature of the Liverpool display was the excellent work of the backs. The halve were always on the ball, and they initiated a stubborn defence, which was backed up by equally clever work from Goldie and Wilkes to be finally clenched by a grand performance on the part of Storer, the whole forming one of the finest defensive display given by the Liverpoolians for many a day. To individualize in this part of the team, where all did so well would be superfluous for better defence could sacarely be wished for. The Liverpool forwards created a good impression by reason of their determined raids on McFarlane's charge, and they were far more dangerous when in possession of the ball than their opponents with a better idea of effecting a coup. Though by no means a completely satisfactory display, it was a vast improvement upon anything accomplished in this season's earlier League game, and the advance made by Cunliffe is one of the most pleasing features. More steadiness when well placed in his opponents quarter would effect a still greater change, occasions of this nature occurring during the second half, where a splendid opportunity was literally thrown away. The left wing was well represented by Bradshaw, who put in a tremendous amount of work, and Becton also did well, several little episodes with Holt being extremely clever, though in this respect the pair were well matched. On the right wing less effectiveness was apparent, but despite much rashness in disposing of the ball the pair did good work, particularly in the closing stages. The Everton defence was uncertain, the halves being decidedly off colour, with the exception of Robertson. Holt was not at his best, though he got through a great deal of work, but as a body, the line failed to give satisfaction. Further behind Barker gave a steady display, and Meechan was occasionally brilliant. At other times he indulged in methods far from reassuring as to the solidity of his side's defence, and that cool finessing with the ball received a rude shock on more than one occasion, a proceeding which, left the defence unprotected. McFarlane kept goal very well, and could scarcely be blamed for failing to clear any of the shots, which took effect. Altogether, it was a very enjoyable game, and as it was Liverpool's first success the victory was doubly welcome to the Anfield supporters. That they deserved to win no one could deny. It was no fluky victory, but a thoroughly well earned triumph, and should inspire the team, with that confidence which was becoming greatly needed. No more fitting conclusion could be arrived at, in these contests, than the one in question, where the better team won.

Despite the counter attraction at Anfield, there would be quite a thousand spectators on the Goodison Park enclosure to witness the Combination contest between Everton and White Star Wanderers. The play during the first half of the game was of a fairly even character, and it was not until close upon the interval that a tangible point was obtained, that falling to the credit of the visitors. The play improved considerably during the second half of the game, but at no time was the quality of a very, attractive description. The Everton forwards were more effective in their methods, though it was not until 15 minutes from the close that they were able to draw level, and the deciding goal came shortly afterwards, Everton winning by a narrow margin of two goals to one. Taking the game all round, it was of a disappointing character, and the Evertonians will need great improvement if they are to maintain last season's excellent record. The centre and left wing were weak, and but for the improved play by the backs during the second portion of the game, the result might easily have borne a different complexion.