April 1899

April 1 1899. The Liverpool Courier
For the first time for about four seasons Everton played a game from home on Good Friday. They had no League match, but appeared at Newcastle in a friendly with the United of the northern town. In charge of R.Molyneux the Everton players traveled from Exchange Station on Thursday, and reached Newcastle via Carlisle early in the evening. Mr.F.G.Watt met them; the obliging secretary of the United club, and after dinner at the Hotel Metropole enjoyed an admirable performance at the Empire Palace. Unfortunately for the success of the match the weather yesterday was of the most miserable description, rain falling without intermission, and the attendance was disappointing, about three thousand people being present. The teams were Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Molyneux, backs, Owen (captain), Stringfellow, and Blythe, halfbacks Taylor, Bell, Proudfoot, Crompton, and Gee, forwards. Newcastle United: - Kingsley goal, Lindsay and Crooke, backs, Ghee, Veitch, and Stott, halfbacks, Rogers, Harvey, Reid, Aitkens, and Wardrope forwards. The United started up the hill, and in the first few moments after a capital centre by Wardrope the Everton goal had a narrow escape, Harvey being near the mark with judicious header. After this, the Everton forwards attacked strenuously, but the sudden state of the ground was accountable for some faulty shooting. Then the homesters were dangerous, and Owen was to the front with clever saves when the Everton goal was threatened. For a friendly play was more than usually interesting, and Everton had more of the play than their opponents. Crompton almost turned to account a centre from Taylor, the ball striking the upright. For a time the home team pressed, but soon the Everton attack forced matters, and as the result of good all round play. Proudfoot scored with a long shot. Owen was not far from obtaining another, but gradually the visitors were beaten back, and the United right now put in smart work. Eccles and Molyneux between were equal to all emergencies and Muir was rarely troubled. Pretty passing by the whole of the Everton front line followed, and Gee was unfortunate in striking the crossbar with a fine shot while immediately after, owing to Crompton's unselfishness he came near scoring with a splendid tr. Veitch then called upon Muir to save a shot from long range, and the game continued to be contested with spirit. There was little to choose between the teams, first one and then the other attacking. Kingsley had much more to do than Muir, but he managed to keep his charge intact. Stringfellow on one occasion showed excellent judgement when the Everton goal was threatened. Both sides missed somewhat easy chances, and the next shot of note came from Crompton, the Newcastle goalkeeper saving cleverly. Rogers received the ball, when obviously offside and raced along, finishing with a grand shot which deserved to score, and which according to the referee equalised the score. This seemed to give the home team more confidence, and Muir had to save from both Rogers and Wardrope. The interval arrived with the score Everton one goal Newcastle United one goal.

Playing downhill the homesters barly held their own for the first few minutes, and again thanks to Crompton, the United goalkeeper had to negotiate a fine shot from Gee. Then the Newcastle left wing was prominent, and from a centre by Aitkens the ball was put pass Muir by Rogers, but the referee rightly adjudged the player offside. Everton obtained a corner which was not turned to account, and a period a pressure by the home team followed the Everton halves being considerably bothered. The only result, however was an abortive order. Play continued of a friendly character, but to all that there was some pretty pieces of work. The United had perhaps the greater part of the attack, though when the visitors forwards broke away they were dangerous. Both Bell and Crompton were pulled up for offside, and from the free kick's persistent pressure was maintained at the Everton goal. A long shot from Vietch trouble Muir who was only able to clear partially, and a scrimmage ensuded in the goalmouth. Stringfellow, however removed the danger, and end to end play was the order of the game. Blythe tripped Rogers almost at the corner flag, and a penalty Kick being awarded Aitkens, gave United the lead. Everton played up spiritedly and deserved to score. Luck was against then, and the United again sent to the front, Muir saving grandly from Wardrope. Nothing more was scored, and the final was Newcastle 2 goals, Everton 1.

April 1 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The above teams met at Goodison Park before 12,000 spectators. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Hughes, goal, Turner and Cvelly, backs, Murray, Gordon, and Hughes, halfbacks, Harley, Bright, Clarke, Barlow and Schofield, forwards. New Brighton: - Beck, goal, Andrews, and Dackers, backs, Fulton, Hughes, and Hill, halfbacks, Coupers, Brown, McGuffie, Gore, and Milward, forwards. Referee Mr. Cast. The game opened in even fashion, both ends been rapidly visited, but the defence prevailed. The visitors were the more seriously troubled, and after somewhat prolonged attack, New Brighton were penalised for handling within the twelve yards limited, and Clarke opened the scoring from the resulting Penalty kick. The Everton left wing indulged in clever work, and repeatedly taxed the visitors defence to the utmost. New Brighton broke away, and Hughes failure to clear an easy shot, nearly brought about the downfall of his goal. Smart work by the home right led to Harley centring, and Clarke headed over whilst another attack by the whole front rank was rendered abortive by Barlow shooting across where favourablely placed. New Brighton were rarely dangerous owing to the clever work of the Everton half line, and though doing the bulk of the attacking, there was no further score up to the interval, when Everton led by a goal to nil. On resuming, Milward took centre forward position, and Coup went outside left, a change in the New Brighton attack being quickly noticeable. The left wing was particularly prominent, and from a brilliant centre by Coup, the visitors equalised five minutes after the restart. Several fine centres were put in by Coup, but eventually the home left broke away, and after capital work between Schofield and Barlow, the latter placed this side ahead with a grand shot. The game continued to be well contested, each side making good efforts to score. Twice did the New Brighton custodians save brilliantly in quick succession from Bright and Barlow, and the visitors racing away in a body Coupe sent in another beautiful centre, Hughes clearing grandly with a trio of opponents rushing on him. From a foul Everton again put the ball into the net, without touching a second player. New Brighton strove hard to equalise, Milward leading many a capable attack and Hughes only saved on one occasion feebly, but the ball was finally got away. A fast and interesting game ended as follows: - Everton 2 goals, New Brighton 1.

April 3 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The return League game between these clubs was played on Saturday at Goodison Park, before 15,000 spectators. The Everton team was at its best representations, but there were a couple of fresh in the County defence and when the sides took the field they lined up as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Blythe, halfbacks, Taylor (captain), Proudfoot, Oldham, Chadwick, Kirwan forwards. Notts County: - Suter, goal, Bull, and Lewis, backs, Wattsm Calderwood, and Sanderson, halfbacks, Hadley, Maconnchie, Boucher, Fletcher, and Fraser, forwards. Everton won the toss, and were at once forced towards their lines but quickly rallied, and from a pass by the left wing Proudfoot sent in a terrific shot, which struck the crossbar and bounced over. The County than had a turn at attack, but found Muir safe, and following a smart clearance by Molyneux, Kirwan put the ball nicely across to Taylor, who was only slightly wide in his attempts to beat Suter. At the other end, Fletcher sent in a clinking shot, and following a fruitless corner kick, operations were contested for some time in the Everton half though Muir was not tested. Blythe several times let the visitor's right wing in, but little could be exacted from the home backs, who continued to play a steady and effort game. Several times was the Everton forwards put into possession, but there was little method shown in their movements and in the end the County backs easily beat them. From a free kick against Moyneux the ball was placed well in front and when a goal appeared certain Boyle, cleverly got it away, though there was no mistaking the adfectness of the visiting side, who returned to the attack, and gave the Evertonians a very anxious time. A smart pass from Hadley to Fletcher resulted in the latter player defeating Muir, who made a grand effort to save this success coming after play had been in progress some 20 minutes. A few minutes later Oldham shot into Suter's hands, and Taylor also failed to get one through. Keeping up a persistence pressure, there were evidence of an equalising point when the Notts backs again came to the rescue, and placed the forwards in good position. A corner kick ended in Muir being called upon to save a brilliant shot from a short range, and for some few minutes the County forwards were hovering about the Everton goal. They were certainly smarter on the ball and displaying more method than the Everton quintet, but unfortunately, Muir and the backs were in good form and prevented further scoring. At half time the recorded stood-Everton nil, Notts County 1. Shortly after resuming Muir had to save a smart shot from hadley, Proudfoot eventually raced away and looked like getting though, when Lewis cleverly intercepted the final effort from Taylor passed wide of the mark. A few minutes later a smart shot from Kirwan was luckily for Notts charged down, and an exciting scrimmage followed in the goalmouth relief eventually coming to the County from a free kick, the result of the goalkeeper being impeded. Chadwick subsequently lost a chance of equalising by dallying with the ball. Breaking away Fletcher struck the upright with a fast shot, and for some little time the visiting forwards indulged in several pretty passing movements, one of which culminated in Boucher converting a smart cross from the left wing. The visitors at this juncture were playing a thoroughly winning game, but a length Kirwan raced nicely down, and sending across, Proudfoot cleverly met the ball and put it into the net Suter having no chance of saving. Spirited play followed, but no equalising point was forthcoming, and Notts won a fairly good game by two goals to one.

April 3 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
At Bangor before 2,000. In the first half each side scored one goal each, Owen for Banger and Hughes for Everton. Afterwards play was very keen, nut no more scoring was done. Everton: - Kitchen, goal Turner and Crelley, backs, Owen, Stringfellow, and Hughes halfbacks, Harley, Bell, Crompton, Barlow, and Schofield forwards.

April 3 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The friendly engagement between the Everton team and Newcastle United on Good Friday was robbed of much of its attiveness by unfavorable weather, for rain had fallen during the forenoon, and after a slight break poured down heavily again and continued during the whole time that play was in progress. The ground, at its best on the soft side, was rendered very difficult of foothold, and its popular slope tended to make matters still worse. Many diverting incidents were furnished during the course of the game, and not a few of there were the outcome of ridiculous decision on the part of the referee. These became so frequent that the crowd, which numbered 5,000 gave vent too much good-humored banter, and it was just as well that the game was none other than the ordinary friendly. The first goal scored by Newcastle was yards offside and should never have been entertained. Thesecond was from a penalty against Blythe and in the end the result stood in favour of the home side by two goals to one. Neither side was at its best. and the play was only of a moderate character. The teams was in charge of Mr.Molyneux, who spared no effort to make the trip an enjoyable one. Whilst the courtesy of the directors of the United club could not have been exceeded.

The game at Goodison Park did not show Everton in very favorable light, and the result was in strict accordance with the play. There was no comparison between the two teams, for while Everton were racing in an apparently aimless fashion all over the field in their efforts to obtain possession of the ball, the visitors were exhibiting marked skill in controlling the leather and showing combination of an excellent character. The Everton attack was ragged without method, and lacking fire, and as far as skill's concerned was a long way inferior to that of their conquerors. The inside men were extremely weak, being easily deprived of the ball, and making no headway whatever. Whilst the outside men were not particularly successful. All round, the forwards were disappointing, the only satisfactory work being accomplished in the last ten minutes, when Notts strengthened their defence at the expense of their attack, a foolish determination on their part seeing that they were having all the play, with a lead of two goals. The Notts front line displayed far more energy; the men were always on the ball, and when in possession required some considerable amount of checking. Their passing was low and well timed, a striking contrast to the high exchanges of the home front rank, and they were altogether too smart for the opposing halves, recurding them with comparative ease. The right wing was particularly clever, but as a matter of fact, there was not a weak spot in the whole line, and their display was most exhilarating. At halfback the visitors held a more decisive advantage even than amongst the forwards. The Everton trio did fairly well in defence, but they rarely forced the play, and were often assisting the backs than the forward. Blythe was thoroughly outwitted by the Notts right wing, and was simply unable to keep them under control, and Wolstenholmes was about the best of a most unsatisfactory line. The lack of understanding so apparent in the movements of the Everton halves and forward was absent in the Notts ranks, the latter being quickly on the ball, and more judicious in their passing. Watts had the home left well in hand, but Calderhead was the pick of the line, and led up to many a dangerous movements. The Everton defence was the most pleasing festure of their play, and had the attack reached the same level of excellent; there would have been little chance of Notts securing the victory. Both Eccles and Molyneux kicked and tackled in irreproachable fashion, the former player placing into goal very finely. Muir had not much chance with either of the shots that took effort, but he saved several others in good style. Notts made a great mistake in withdrawing Fletcher from the forward in the latter part of the match, tactics which, almost cost them the game. With the three halfbacks and Fletcher a sort of commissioner, with apparently strict injunctions to kick anywhere as long as the ball went down the field, the Notts play deteriorated considerably in the closing stages, and Everton strove with desperation to equalise. They could not defeat Suter more than once, that custodian keeping his charge intact grandly when the least slip would have spelt disaster to his side. The backs also defended well, and in fact the Notts team all round showed sufficiently superior form to mark their ultimate success, a well-deserved one. They displayed energetic and judicious movements, where Everton were inactive and aimlessly roaming, and similar form to that witnessed on Saturday would give Everton little chance of inflicting defeat on any club in the League.

April 4 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Blues hit post twice
The return League game between these clubs was played yesterday afternoon at Goodison Park close upon 18,000 spectators witnessing the contest. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Molyneux backs, Taylor (captain), Proudfoot, Oldham, Chadwick, and Kirwan forward. Derby County: - Fryers, goals, Staley, and Methven, backs, Haig Goodall, and May halfbacks Arkesden, Bloomer, Boag, McDonald, and Allen, forwards. Referee Mr. Tiloston (Birmingham)

Everton commenced play, which opened rather quickly, and from a free kick close in only justed opening the scoring account. A further attack by the Everton right wing went wide, following which some well timed passing by the Derby men brought play to the home end, where, however Eccles and Molyneux allowed no quarters. Oldham them led on a dangerous run, but was in the end slow to take the advantage of a final pass by Proudfoot and Starley cleared. A moment later Kirwan with a clinkling shot caused Fryer to handle, and following a visit to the home end, in which Allen and McDonald were conspicuous figure, Oldham raced nicely down and Taylor put in a splendid shot, which the custodian cleverly met. A moment later the outside eight shot in well, and Fryer only partially clearing Oldham was in possession a couple of yards from the goalmouth out, unfortunately for his side, shot against the keeper and Methven conceded a corner kick, which brought no advantage to Everton. Following a fruitless journey to the Everton end, Molyneux tried a long shot without success, and after the goalkick Taylor opened out a fine chance for Kirwan, who had none but the custodian to defeat, but shot hard against the side of the net. Directly following the outside left had a fair opening, but preferred to pass rather than shoot, and the advantage was thus lost for Staley intercepted and placed Bloomer in possession. Boyle cleared an ugly rush in front of the Everton goal, and during the next few minutes the visitors caused the Everton defenders no little anxiety. Good work by the Everton halves brought play to the other end, and following slight stoppage owing to a collision between Chadwick and Staley. Haig put the ball nicely to Arkesden, who on parting to Bloomer transferred play to the Everton half. Bloomer tested Muir without success and then Taylor put in two magnificent shots at Fryer. The first was only partially saved and Kirwan should easily have scored, and in a trice Muir was beset with difficulties, as the Derby van hovered in threatening fashion round the goalmouth. Oldham them got away, but was forcibly pulled up by Methven, when a good opening presented itself, and following the free kick Fryer was distinctly lucky in meeting a low shot from the outside left at short range. A few minutes later the Derby goal had another narrow escape as the result of a sustained attack. Chadwick put in a dropping shot, which was luckily headed out by Methven and Taylor, who had raced across in search of work, only just missed the mark. The goalkick had scarcely been taken when Proudfoot made tracks towards the Derby goal, and parting at the right moment to Taylor, the latter player with a magnificent effect put the ball into the net. Fryer was again called upon, but a few minutes later the visiting forwards were busy in the vicinity of Muir, only to find that player quite equal to all demands upon him. As the interval drew near the County forwards made a desperate effort to get on level terms, but sterling play by Wolstenholmes, and the full backs kept them out, and at the change of ends, Everton led by a goal to nil. The second half opened with a sharp attack on the County goal, the result of well directed play on the part of the Everton halves, but relief to the visitors eventually came from a corner kick forced by Oldham. Wolstenholmes next had a shot at goal but being hampered put wide of the mark. After a fruitless visit to the Everton end, Taylor struck the upright and a moment later Taylor and Proudfoot by capital passing took the ball half the length of the field the movement culminating in Chadwick putting in a grand shot, which Fryer cleverly saved. There was no mistaking the earnestness of the Everton team, who were playing a vastly superior game to any that they have participated in during the past few weeks, and the County custodian was exceptionally fortunate in keeping down the score. On one occasion Chadwick Proudfoot and Taylor, shot in quickly succession, only to find Fryer at his best. After sustaining a long pressure the County right wing got away, and sending across, Allen put the ball into the net, thus equalising. A minute later Fryer brought off a grand save from Chadwick. The visitors were now seen in a very dangerous vein, and shot after shot was sent in, though to no purpose, as Muir was always on the alert. Rallying again, Everton put on pressure, and Taylor was only slightly wide of the mark with a fine oblique shot, the result of a pass from Kirwan. Another breakaway resulted in Bloomer scoring with a beautiful shot from a long range, thus giving his side the lead, and a minute later the County goal had a miraculous escape, as Chadwick had a clear course with Fryer away from his post, but, unfortunately, he shot at the upright, and from the rebound Methven cleared. Later on the same player again sent in a shot which Fryer got away at the expense of a corner kick, but nothing further was scored, and Everton were unlucky in being defeated by 2 goals to 1.

April 8, 1899. The Wrexham Advertiser.
At Bangor on Saturday, before a large holiday crowd. Play opened in favour of Everton. Scholfield testing Owen, with a beauty. Kitchen ran out to clear, and then the ball was eventually rushed into the net, but the point was disallowed. Everton was quicker on the ball, but both goals were visited in turn. John Roberts had a neck to neck race with Crelly, the former eventually kicking yards wide, Thomas soon following with an over-head shot, which had the same fate. Crompton when in a favouritable position was ruled off-side. Thomas made rings round Hughes, and when close in one of the home forwards were penalised right in front of Kitchen. Scholfield, after a brilliant run, sent right across the goalmouth, but Clark failed to make good use of the opening. The game was brimful of excitement, both teams playing a good game. A hot tussle took place in front of Kitchen, and after the ball had bobbed on the heads of several players, Dick Owen headed past Kitchen amidst great excitement. Everton warmed to their work, and Ted Owen brought of a brilliant save from Crompton. Everton for a while were in close quarters, Buckland relieved, and Dick Owen made Kitchen leave his charge. Hughes equalised with a lofty shot. Half-time –Bangor 1, Everton 1. Final result –Everton 1 goal, Bangor 1.

April 10 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The return League engagement between these clubs took place at Stoke on Saturday. On the Everton side Clarke and Gee displaced Chadwick and Kirwan, and Proudfoot went centre vice Oldham. There was also changes in the Stoke team, and at 3-40 the sides under the guidance of Mr.Kingscott, faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles, and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Blythe, halfbacks, Taylor (captain), Bell, Proudfoot, Clarke, and Gee, forwards. Stoke - Clawley goal, Robertson, and Hyslop, backs, Parson, Wood and Bradley, halfbacks, Johnson, Kennedy, Farrell, Mellor, and Tooth, forwards. A strong breeze blew from end to end, and Everton, having won the toss, had the assistance of this powerful factor. Stoke commenced play and within the first minute Johnson shot beautiful across the goalmouth, but unfortunately for his side, there was no one up to take advantage of his pass. Directly afterwards Clawley saved in marvelous fashion, and for some time play hovered about his charge. Once Taylor almost got through, and subsequently Boyle and Clarke were only slightly wide of the mark. Everton did all the pressing, but were opposed by a capable defender in Robertson, whilst Clawley was ever on the alert and got rid of several shots that, fortunately for him, were directed at his person. After a quarter of an hour Boyle with a splendid shot found the net and thus opened the scoring account, but not many minutes had elapsed before the Stoke men were again on equal terms. Johnson was mainly instrumental in their success, as he spirited finely down the wing and centred accurately. Farrell met the ball, and shot in, and as Muir only partially cleared Tooth was enabled to chip in and equalise. Again the Evertonians took up the running, and for some few minutes Clawley, the Stoke custodian, was kept busily employed. He saved brilliantly from gee at close quarters, and later on from Clarke, who headed in a fine centre from Taylor. Everton however, failed to obtain the lead, and at the interval, the scores stood 1 goal each. With the home side having the wind behind them, matters looked promising for their success. A fine shot from Johnson was the first item of interest and this resulted in a corner, which was cleared by Boyle, but returing again, the Stoke outside right gave Muir another difficult shot to negotiate, and Mellor was also a source of trouble to the Everton goalkeeper. The monotony was broken by Gee with a fine run down the left, but the outside man finished up with a shot that travelled over the bar, but on a further return his centre should easily have been converted by Proudfoot. The opening was lost, and the potters were quickly round the Everton goal, where Muir was several times called upon, particularly by the right wing. After half an hour play Johnson slipped through, and gave his side the lead, and following this point, there was very little of interest to the end of the game. The forwards were ragged in their movements, and with Stoke quite content with the lead, much of their work was directed in keeping their opponents from getting within shooting range. No further points were scored, and a moderate game ended. Stoke 2 goals Everton 1.

April 10 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton Club have surely lit upon troublous times. Four successive defeats, three of which under the suspices of the League are not what one has been accustomed to in local football, and the occasion, of course calls for serious consideration. Truly the Evertonians have turned out a most disappointing set of exponents. Just when one anticipated that the club would put forth an effort to establish a record by bringing at least one of the seasons's honours to the district and that without the aid of ‘'star players'' they literally tumble to pieces, and as matters are now progressing, there is little to hope for in their remaining engagements. The weak spots are so apparent that the managers of the club are compelled to tale immediate action to remedy the same at any cost. It is a bitter disappointment when considered in the light of the cultivation of local talent, which the pulic so vehemently demanded last season to the directors of the Everton Club, but having responded to the wishes of their numerous patrons, and having found the project an unsuccessful one, they are now on the eve of securing once again class players in order to give spectators full valve for their money. Fortunately it does not require a more than ordinary observant eye to note the weak spots in the team. While the defence has been all that could be desired, the attack has failed in palpable fashion, despite the fact that numberous openings have been made for them that might on several occasions have resulted in record scores. Time and time again on Saturday last at Stoke, this was exemplified to the full, and how the players failed is a problem that would trouble even the most casual observer of the game. It might safely be stated that had the forwards the same opportunities or evens a club of less pretensions the result would have been one of complete rout. At least three class forwards are required, the halfbacks line also requires strengthening, and should the executive make a happy hit in these directions, they will then have a team at command that should take its stand against all comers, for in defence they possess a thoroughly conscientious capable and reliable set of players. Under ordinary circumstances, Stoke despite their vastly improved form should have been included among the list of Everton victims, for they were a thoroughly beaten team on the actual play and they owe their victory to the shortcomings of their opponents when fined touches were required. The three inside men were particularly faulty, and how they failed at several easy chances was simply astonishing. Taylor was always a hard worker but he was only one in a crowd, and only moderately attended to, and a pleasing item to record was an improvement in the play of Gee, who sent across many fine shots that should have borne successful results. At halfbacks Boyle played a masterly game all through in fact, he had no superior exponent on the field. He seemed thoroughly alive to the weakness of those in front of him, and consequently loss no opportunity of popping at goal his first success that gave his side the lead being a truly meritorious one, while a subsequently effort on his part was only denied him by a lucky charge down by the opposing defence. Wolstenholmes did fairly well, but Blythe was easily beaten at times, though it is but fair to state that the Jarrow man was suffering from a severe cold, and was really not in a fit condition to take the field. The backs and keeper was kept busily employed and on the whole but little exception could be taken to their work. The Stoke forwards were more methodical in their movements, distributed the work more generally, and were thus a more effective quintet than their opponents. Johnson was without doubt, the best of the line, but all did well and Farrell in the centre kept them well employed. It was in this department that the home side held their only advantage, and it was sufficient to give them the victory. It was not a great game. The high winds robbed it of interesting points, but had the Everton forwards been capable of converting the chances that came their way they should have been returned easy victors.

April 14, 1899. Sheffield Daily Telegrapgh
The Everton directors are busily engaged securing new recruits for next season. The first important capture in this direction was the transferred of Toman, the clever Burnley centre, to the Goodison Park Club. Settle, the celebrated Bury forward, has also been engaged for the Everton League team. Settle's merits are best described by the fact that he has gained three international caps this season and has also participated in the English League match against Scotland. He will undoubtedly prove an acquisition to the Everton club, and his first appearance in their ranks will be in the return League match with Burnley at Turf Moor tomorrow week.

April 15, 1899. The Courier & Argue
Notwithstanding the endeavour to preserve as a secret the price paid by Everton for the transfer of Settle from Bury, it has transpired that the amount paid was £400. This is the biggest sum ever paid in hard cash for the transfer of a League player at one time. Bury asked £500 to release Settle.

April 17 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The return League engagement between these clubs took place at Goodison Park on Saturday, and as the result of the game had an important bearing upon the chances of Liverpool for premier honours, it was only to be expected that a big crowd would patronise the event. There would be quite 20,000 spectators present when the sides took the field, but owing to enforced changes on the ranks of the home side, there were few to be found who were at all confident of the local club gaining full points. The forwards line was again reconstructed, and Taylor was drafted into the halfback line while Turner of the combination team, filled Eccles position at right full back the latter suffering from a severe sprain to the ankle. The Villa directorate were fully alive to the importance of securing victory, and with the exception of Johnson and Devey, placed their full strength in the field, and when preliminaries were adjusted, the players took up their positions as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Turner (e) and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle and Taylor (captain) halfbacks, Schofield, Proudfoot, Oldham Chadwick, and Gee forwards. Aston Villa: - George, goal, Spencer, and Evans, backs, Bowman, Cowan, and Crabtree, halfbacks, Athersmith, Garrity, Leigh, Wheldon, and Smith, forwards. Everton won the toss, and had the assistances of a stiffest breeze that blew from end to end. At the outset the home forwards had most of the play, and their left wing were particularly busy in their attentions to George, but when favorably placed, final shots went wide of the mark. One capital effort by Chadwick, however, was only a trifle to high, and after sustaining a prolonged attack, the Villa forwards got under weigh, only to be eventually accquated for by Wolstenholmes and Boyle both of whom put in some very fine tackling work. However, Cowan managed to get in a parting shot, but like his opponents he was wide of the mark, and in returning again, Athersmith dropped the ball beautifully into the goalmouth where Muir brought off a magnificent save when surrounded by the inside men. Garrity was next in evidence with a well directed shot, and then the Everton van took up the running, but as a rule they could exact, but little quarter from the Villa defenders, who, by reason of the faulty passing of their opponents had plenty of opportunities of forcibly clearing. Breaking away again, Leigh tested Muir with a clinkling shot, which was ably dealt with, and following further pressure by Everton, the interval arrived without any score. With the wind now assisting the visitors play for some time was located in the home half, but, owing to the fine defence of Molyneux and Turner, Muir was not troubled. A movement to the other end resulting in Taylor putting in a shot, which George got away with difficulty. After play had been in progress some seven minutes, Smith opened the scoring account for the Villa from a corner kick, the ball having previously rebounded from the crossbar as the result of a shot from Wheldon. Getting to work again, play settled down in close proximity to the Everton goal, but a long pass out by Oldham brought successful results. The ball went to Gee, who sped along the wing, and centring accurately, Oldham met the ball, and breasted it through without giving George a chance of clearing. With the scores level, much excitement prevailed, and the pace was increased considerably. Still the Villa had slightly the best of matters, and on several occasions Muir had to deal with difficult shots, which he negotiated in clever fashion. Smith was particularly dangerous with his accurate centre, though on many occasions Wolstenholmes, who all though had played a most resourceful game, foiled him. At the other end of the Villa line, Athersmith owing to the vigilance of Taylor failed to be at all dangerous, and after a long spell of defence, the Evertonians again took up the running, out, as before were weak when within range of the Villa goal. No further scoring took place, and the game resulted in a draw of one goal each.

April 17 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The visit of Aston Villa to Goodison Park had an immense significance to votaries of the game in the district, and it is a moot point whether the same was not more interesting to the supporters of the Anfield of the Anfield brigade than to those of the home eleven. Defeat for the Villa would practically place them on the same level as Liverpool, but this they managed to avert, and a hard fought contest resulted in the honours, being divided at the close. Each side had perforce to make some change in the personnel of the eleven. Leigh and Garriry taking the places of Johnson and Devey in the visitors team. Whilst Everton superseded Eccles for Turner at right full back. The game was not a very attractive one. The forward play on both sides being too ragged, but there was an improvement noticeable in the second half, and the plucky attempts of the home side to match a victory, when battling against the breeze, caused this portion of the contest to be invested with intense interest. The Villa were more finished in their movement, but they had no more of the play than their opponents, who neutralised this advantage by an additional determination which, secured equal results. The game fluctuated considerably, and though never reaching a very high standard, nevertheless produced many exciting incidents. The Villa were the more dangerous when in the vicinity of goal, and nothing but superb custodianship on the part of Muir prevented more than one disaster. The Everton forwards were seen at their best in the later stages of the game, but on the whole, their display was not particularly exhilarating. They did not make the most of their chances, and there was a lack of measure effort, which in needed to ensure complete success. Their combination was by no means of a striking nature and the situation may be summed up in a few words-earnest, but not clever. Not one rose above his fellows, and had they all though the contest played a hard, bustling game, instead of attempting to beat their opponents in adroitness, the result might have been more in their favour. The equalising goal was originated by Oldham, who presented Gee with a clear course, and by dint of following up in commendable fashion, the centre man was able to breast the accurate cross from the wing into the net. One would fairly have witnessed the Villa defence more seriously bustled, instead of allowing considerable latitude in clearing. To the Everton halves must be awarded chief praise for their share in the contest. They gave the Villa front rank no quarter and their success comes all the more satisfactory when one considers the weaknesses witnessed in the part of the team in previous games. Of a capital trio, Taylor and Wolstenholmes were the shinning lights; the latter fairly excelling himself against such a powerful wing as Whedlon and Smith. He demonstrated his abilities pretty conclusively, and if this form be continued, Everton need not look further for a capable right half. Taylor simply revelled in work, and allowed the redoubtable Athersmith little liberty whilst he was often seen leading the way in an attack amongst the front rank. Boyle also did well, and the success of this line was responsible for the generally smart work of the Villa front rank being rendered much less effective than usual. The backs as usual were sound, and Turner made a capital substitute for Eccles his returns being very judicious, whilst Molyneuix kicked and tackled with ability. Muir kept goal grandily, one save from Garriry, who had an otherwise open goal, and another from a similar place, when with a dexterous touch he placed the ball outside the post, being extremely fine. The display of the Villa was disappointing and their recents defeats need not occasion further surprise, if Saturday's form be any criterion. The wingmen were speedy, and centred beautifully, but they received only moderate support from the inside men, who on several occasions failed to utilise glorious chances. The halves were good but did not reach the standard exhibited earlier in the season at Anfield, and their usual deadliness when near goal was completely absent. At full back Evans gave a very fine exhibition, and overshadowed the partner, Spencer, who did not give the impression of being particularly safe. George was not often called upon, few dangerous shots calling for his attention. The result fairly reflects the play; for on the form shown neither side could claom superiority.

April 18, 1899. The Evening Express
Why Mr. Clayton Resigned
Interesting Interview
The announcement of Mr. Clayton’s resignation of the chairmanship o the Everton Football Club came as a great surprise to the numerous and growing section o the community of Liverpool which taken a deep interest in football affairs. Since the news was exclusively published in the “Courier” and “Express” on Saturday last many random guesses have been made as to the causes which led to Mr. Clayton’s action, but in order to put an end to more spectaulation and to give the readers of this journal accurate information upon the subject a representative of the “Express” sought and obtained an interview with the ex-chairman today. Mr. Clayton appeared to be quite amazed at the amount of importance which had been attached to his withdrawal from the chairmanship, and said he had hoped that in the interests of the club the matter would not be mentioned in the newspapers at the present juncture. Still he agreed with the suggestion that, as the news had become public property, it might also be judicious to make the reasons of his resignation known. Having premised that he had never been keenly anxious for the position of chairman, and had only accepted it at the unanimous request of his colleagues. Mr. Clayton said he could never consent to retain the office I it were aborn of, the ordinary executive powers of a chairmanship. An executive junction which, he explained he had taken upon himself to perform under special circumstances had been repudiated by his colleagues and he felt bound, therefore to vacate the position in favour of someone who was prepared to take it with these limited powers, while he himself retired into the subsidiary position of a director. “Then it was no question of the general policy of the club which led to your resignation?” “Oh, no,” was the immediate reply. “It was not a very vital matter, but it involved a principle. On the Thursday prior to Good Friday, 30th March I found that we had no second team match arranged for the 8th April, and on the same date Mr. Lythgoe asked me whether the ground could be obtained for an inter-city match, Liverpool and District v. Manchester and District, for April 8th. The Liverpool and Manchester Associations, he said, would bear the risk, and we should take ten per cent of the gross gate. I carefully considered the matter, and came to the conclusion that it was the best thing we could do. An experience of second team “friendless” is that they are finalical failures except with Liverpool Reserves and New Brighton Tower, and moreover it would give us the opportunity of seeing the performances of twenty-two selected players, all good men in their respective positions, and coming from teams of the class from which we had obtained such men as Balmer, Molyneux, Crelly, Hughes, Marquis, &tc. Now when I tell you that on every Saturday during the seven preceding weeks I had been deputed by the directors to travel far afield to see, as a rule, one player, you will admit that the opportunity of seeing twenty-two men together under the very noses of all or most of the directors was not to be despised. “Was the match actually arranged?” was the next query addressed to Me. Clayton. “In a sense it was,” he answered, “although it was never played, Mr. Molyneux was in Newcastle with the League team that day, but on the Saturday I notified him that I had closed with Mr. Lythgoe, and he arranged with the latter gentleman as to the printing of the balls and other matters. The next imitation I received was on Easter Tuesday, when Mr. Lythgoe showed me a postcard which Mr. Molyneux had sent him stating that the ground might not be available, as he had been instructed to try to arrange a second team match for the same time. I have since ascertained that this decision was arrived at by a few directors who were present at the Derby County match on Easter Monday. They made no attempt to find out my reasons for arranging the fixture, but nevertheless this small and informal meeting cancelled my action and substituted the Barnsley St Peter’s match.” “You consider that your action as chairman ought to have been upheld by the other directors?” “I go further” replied Mr. Clayton, “and say that it has always been the custom of our club and of every other organisation of which I know anything to carry out an arrangement made by any director even if the rest of the board should be opposed to it. In the case of the chairman, I have never under any circumstances known his action to be repridiated by his colleagues. I felt that I had no alternative but to tender my resignation as chairman, and the directors have accepted it.” Mr. Clayton was afterwards questioned as to whether differences of opinion had arisen between him and the directors upon other points.; he was at first reluctant to answer the question, but eventually said that he had bitterly opposed the chopping and changing which had of late taken place in the team. “Take the Notts Forest cup tie for instance” he explained, “I could not reach the meeting until late wing to a domestic bereavement, but I was astounded when I heard of the composition of the team. I have no doubt that the directorate will be severely criticised for this action at they annual meeting, but as chairman I should have felt it my duty to defend it, although it was entirely against my own view. My colleagues do not object to my exercising executive power in that direction. Then, again I honestly believe that an excellent chance of winning the League championship has been thrown away by our constant reshuffling of the team. Taylor’s case I will quote as an example –he has been moved backwards and forwards from forward to half-back. How can a team develop combination under such conditions. In this case also I should have felt called upon to defend at the annual meeting a policy of which I wholly disapproved, but would my colleagues have objected to my using executive power in this way? No; they only protest against it in such a comparatively trifling matter as a second team match and not when I was defending themselves as I have sp often done, at annual meeting against my own convictions.” Mr. Clayton concluded the interview by expressing himself in favour of the policy of strengthening the League team in a judicious way by the engagement of first class men, and he gave it as his opinion that they Everton team would place a capital combination in the field next season.

BURNLEY 0 EVERTON 0 (Game 305)
April 24 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The return game between these clubs was played at Burnley on Saturday, before about 7,000 spectators. Everton included in their team, both Toman and Settle, and while Morrison was an absentee on the home side Hillman reappeared, though he was evidently suffering from lameness. When the teams turned out they took up their positions as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Taylor (captain), halfbacks, Schofield, Settle, Toman, Chadwick, and Gee forwards. Burnley: - Hillman, goal, Reynolds, and McLintock, backs, Barron, Taylor, and Livingstone, halfbacks, Brierley, Watkins, Bowes, Place, and Ferguson, forwards. Buirnley having won the toss, Toman commenced the game for Everton against a stiffish breeze. The home forwards at once took up the running, and Ferguson and Place showed some capital play on the leftwing, several of their centres causing the Everton defenders much anxiety. The visiting right wing pair then put in some effective work, and on the ball being sent to Gee that player promptly put it into the net. The home players appealed for offside, and after consulting one of the linesman, the referee disallowed the point. From the goalkick the Everton forwards again got well down and Hillman was twice called upon by the left wing, though the shots were not of sufficient force to cause much anxiety. Eventually Toman, who had been frequently hammered by Taylor, shot wide, and directly afterwards Watkins made bad use of an easy chance to defeat Muir. Brierley got away several times on the Burnley right, but in the end he was safely accounted for by Molyneux, and a movement led by the Everton. Taylor looked like bringing about successful result. When Hillman rushed out and fisted powerfully down the field. Nothing was scored up to half time and on resuming Burnley looked like getting through, when Eccles and later Molyneux tackled at close quarters, and eventually cleared. A nicely concerted movement by the Everton forwards was spoiled by faulty shooting, and on a further return Chadwick was a trifle slow in getting his toe to the ball, and Reynolds made no mistake in clearing. Hillman was next called upon by Taylor and later on by Settle. Following which Bowes made tracks for the Everton goal and sent in a shot at Muir which was ably dealt with. The Everton forwards who received most judicious attention from Taylor, were now most aggressive, but they could do everything but find the net at this juncture. At the other end Ferguson had a good chance to take the lead, but shot over. An exciting tussle in front of the Everton goal was cleared by Taylor, and during the next few minutes both sides were conceded corners kicks without any advantage according. Towards the close Burnley made a big effort to score, but met with stout opposition, and during, the last few minutes the game was stopped as the result of a collision between Taylor (Burnley) and Reynolds. Scoring however was not forthcoming, and a keen game resulted in no goals.

April 24 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
At Goodison Park. Everton had the best of the game, but shot wretchedly. Proudfoot and Kirwan were the greatest sinners. Oldham scored after 35 minutes. Everton could not score again, and led at the interval by 1 goal to nil. Resuming Proudfoot quickly put Everton further ahead, and Marquis scored a third. Oldham added a fourth, and immediately got another and Everton winning by 5 goals to nil. (Game 27) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Turner, and Crelley backs, Ball Stringfellow, and Blythe, halfbacks, Marquis, Proudfoot, Oldham, Barlow, and Kirwan, forwards.

April 24 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton players were distinctly unlucky in not annexing full points on Saturday at Burnley. They had the better of the game, and during the first few minutes defeated Hillman, but the referee, after consulting one of the linesmen disallowed the point. From the press box the goal was apparently a legitimate one, and several of the Burnley players and the second linesman who had not been consulted in the matter, were also of that opinion. This ruling was most unfortunate, but it was not the only one that dissatisfaction. Several of the players were allowed too much latitude in their attentions to the man rather than the ball, and it was only by adroitness on many occasions that some ugly mishaps did not occur. Of course the meeting of the teams on Saturday was looked upon with more than ordinary interest, for the ex-Burnley centre forward was making his debut for Everton, and it was only natural that his old comrades would not allow him to exact any quarter from them if they could possibly prevent it. The spirit is quite within reason, but when the ball is practically ignored in order to devote one's whole energy in the direction of unfairly hampering opponents, there should be rigid ruling in the matter. Time and time again the Burnley centre half was over assiduous in his attention to Toman, and a climax was reached when, during the last few minutes of the game, the ex-Burnleyite evaded a rough charge from Taylor with the result that the latter simply bounded into Reynolds, who was dazed for sometime afterwards. It can thus be readily imagined how the game was robbed of much of its interest. There was a tendency to part too quickly with the ball, thus giving the backs plenty of time to clear; but on the whole the play, as far as the Everton team was concerned, was an improvement upon recent performances. In spite of the difficulties under which Toman laboured, he dealt with what a little came his way in clever fashion, and under more favorable conditions he will, undoubtedly be a big acquisitions to the club. Settle, the ex-Bury player was also included in the team, and though he was also closely shadowed, he put in many fine touches of play, especially when rounding his opponents. The wing men, Schofield and Gee, the latter especially, contributed several fine runs and centres, and excepting that final touches were rather weak, the line all though under the existing circumstances gave a good account of themselves. Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Taylor played a very successful game the last named being without a rival on the field for downright hard and effective work. Molyneux and Eccles were as usual, very resourceful, and Muir had several ugly rushes and smart shot to deal with negotiating everything in finished style. Hillman was suffering from lamenes but he was nevertheless clever enough to deal with the shots of the Everton forwards. Reynold, and McLintock were a most capable pair of defenders, and the halves though too prone to attend to the man rather than the ball often put in good work, and found many openings for their forwards of whom the left wing pair were the most successful.

On Wednesday evening next the Edinburgh Hibs pay a visit to Goodison Park and local followers will have an opportunitys of gauging the ability of the two leatest recuits to the team, viz. Toman, and Setlle. A capital game is anticipated, and as the kick off does not take place till 6-15 there could be a big muster of spectators at this the last first team match of the season. On Saturday both local teams will be point hunting on foreign grounds, but an attractive fixture has been arranged to take place at Goodison Park between the Reserves teams of Everton and the Villa. The Midlanders are the Champions of the Birmingham League, and no doubt there will be an interesting tussle for supremacy.

The final tie for possession of the Liverpool Senior cup will be decided on the Goodison Park ground on Thuresday evening next. The contending clubs are Everton and New Brighton.

April 27 1899 the Liverpool Mercury
The Hibernians continuing their tour put in an appearance at Goodison Park last evening and though they was every prospect of an interesting encounter. The attendance was of rather Limited proportions. The occasions served to introduce to the supporters of the Everton club the new players recently signed on for duty next season, in the persons of Toman of Burnley, and Settle of Bury, and, with the exception of Vaughan, who played centre half, the home side was constituted as on Saturday last. At 6-15 the sides took the field as follows : - Everton: - Muir, goal Eccles and Molyneux, backs, Boyle, Vaughan, and Taylor (captain), halfbacks, Schofield, Settle, Toman, Chadwick, and Gee, forwards. Hibernians: - McCall, goal, Nelson, and Glen backs, Breslin, Handling, and Robertson halfbacks, McGuigan Brodigan, Douglas, Callaghan, and Porter forwards . The game opened with some very fine passing by both sets of forwards, and early on the respective custodians were kept busy employed. A pretty run down by the Everton left resulted in Settle defeating the Hibs keeper with a capital shot, and almost immediately afterwards Gee under difficulties centred into the goalmouth. McCall forcibly cleared, and then followed another interesting exhibition of open play. The visitors right wing pair were the most aggressive, but found in Molyneux a tough opponent, so that Muir as this juncture was not tested. Another visit to the Scotch half was ably met by McCall and from his clearance, Callaghan got away, and sending across McGuigan cleverly met the ball and scored beautiful goal, Muir having no possible chance of saving the shot. A long spell of even play followed, when by means of a couple of free kicks, the Everton forwards were enabled to put on pressure, shots being sent in by Taylor and Settle, McCall clearing both with a flying kick. Later on Porter put the ball into the Everton net, but was ruled offside. With but four exception most of the subsequent play up to the interval was dull, and generally the backs had no difficulty in prevailing over the attack. Nothing further was scored up to the change of ends when the score were- Everton 1 goals Hibernians 1. The second half opened with a stubborn attack, on the visitors goal. Several attempts to score was checked by the backs, one –a clinking shot, from Toman-being luckily headed out by Nelson, the right full back. After the pressure had been sustained play again took a very uninteresting turn, and for some time there was rarely a decent effort put forward to increase the score. A few capital centre followed by the left wing on both sides, but the inside men were slow in getting up and the backs had plenty of chances to clear. Eccles, Taylor, and Gee then put in some capital work, but as before the final touches were not accurate, and McCall was rarely called upon. The halfbacks of the Hibs did not allow much liberty, and towards the close of the game they had many chances to display defensive tactics. It was only on odd occasions that the Edinburgh men were enabled to get within range of Muir but at the finish they were invariably beaten by Eccles and Molyneux. Towards the close the visitors made a big effort to score, but failed, and the game ended in a draw. Result Everton 1 goal, Edbinburgh Hibs 1.

April 27 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Recently the Everton directors have been making strenuous endeavors to improve the team, which will represent them next season. It was only the other day that they secured Toman of Burnley, and Settle of Bury, and to these captures has now to be added the acquisition of the brothers Sharp of Aston Villa. Both are young men, one being equally capable at full back, and the other at either centre forward or either of the inside positions. It is within the knowledge of the football world that these players have not been altogether comfortable with Aston Villa and amongst the clubs who have been anxious to ‘'sign them on'' may be mentioned Sheffield United, Notts County and Derby County. It is a feature in the cap of the Everton directorate that they have been able to engage these resourceful exponents of the game. Mr. E.A. Bainbridge and Mr. R.Molyneux only went down to Birmingham on Tuesday, and they did not return until they had secured the signatures of both players. It may be mentioned that the brothers Sharp have also distinguished themselves in the cricket field, and the local followers of the summer pastime will not have forgotten the display, which the elder brother made in recent match when Liverpool and district encountered Cambridge University.

April 27, 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
It is stated that the Everton Football Club directors have engaged the brothers Sharpe, of the Aston Villa team, for next season.

April 28 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The Liverpool Senior Cup Final
About 1,200 spectators witnessed this match at Goodison Park last evening, in the early portion of the game the Towers had slightly the better of matters, and several capital shots were sent in, which kept the home defenders extended to their best form. After play had been in progress some ten minutes, Cunliffe had to retire owing to an injury, and Milward crossed over to inside right. An incursion on the Everton left came to nothing, owing to handling, and than Hargreaves put in a beautiful shot, which Turner cleverly cleared. Milward folloowed with another which Kitchen nearly let through and from the resulting corner kick, the Everton forwards were seen to better advantage, one of their movements to the Tower end resulted in Bell defeating Beck after 25 minutes play, and following another spell of attacks by the visitors, Schofield and Bell ran the ball down, taking advantage of a weak effort by the Towers left backs, the ball was shot across to Gee easily converted. A strong appeal for offside was raised, but the referee allowed the point. Getting to work again the Towers forwards put in some good work but halftime arrived with Everton leading by two goals to nil. On resuming the Everton right wing looked like getting through, but were too slow at the finish, and after a few minutes play Milward met a faulty return from turner, and scored a beautiful shot. From a free kick Hargreaves headed into Kitchen hands, and than followed a couple of corners to Everton in quick succession but neither was turned to good account. The quintet of New Brighton forwards then indulged in some very pretty and effective passing, which culminated with a rasping shot, by Hammond, Kitchen bringing off a brilliant save. The Tower at this juncture, although short handled, were having quite as much of the game as their opponents and it was unfortunate that Dackers should have handled within the penalty line Bell took the penalty kick and cored and following a corner to the visitors, Gee pounced upon the ball and with a wsift oblique shot put a fourth goal. Bell was badly charged by McCartney, and left the field. The Everton were now having matters much their own way and Oldham put in a fifth goal and a sixth came shortly afterwards from Wolstenholmes Oldham added a seventh and a eight and shortly afterwards time was called and Everton winning by 8 goals to 1. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Turner, and Creeley backs, Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Ball, halfbacks Schofield, Bell Oldham, Barlow, and Gee, forwards. New Brighton Towers: - Beck goal, Fuilton and Stevenson, backs, McEleny, Dackers, and McCartney halfbacks Cunliffe, Hargreaves, Hammond, McGuffey, and Milward forward.


May 1 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The Everton team concluded their League engagements with the visit to Wolverhampton. The side that drew at Burnley on the previous Saturday was chosen for the occasion, but at the last movements it had to be arranged owing top Settle, not having put in an appearance. Fortunately, Owen who had previously returned to Wolverhampton was at command and completed the team, his inclusion necessitating Taylor partnering Schofield on the right wing. The home side was well represented, and shortly after 3-30 the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles, and Molyneux, backs, Owen (captain), Boyle, and Blythe halfbacks, Schofield Taylor, Toman, Chadwick, and Gee forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Baddleys goal, Davies, and Blackett backs, Griffiths, Phesant, and Fleming, halfbacks, Tonks, Beats, Norton, and Miller, forwards.

The Wolves opened with an attack by the left wing, and looked like obtaining a tangible point when Molyneux powerfully cleared, with the result that Towan fastened on the ball, and led play to the other end, where a faulty shot gave the home side relief. A little later Taylor shot hard at Baddley, who cleared and following some good work by Phesant the Wolves centre half Harper put the ball across to Miller who was about to rush it through when Eccles cleverly dispossessed him and drove well down the field. A further attack which looked like having a tangible result, was eventually checked by Molyneux almost underneath the bar, but keeping up a pressure Harper headed through from a centre by Fleming after play had been in progress a quarter of an hour. In close following Gee had a fair chance of equalising, but shot high over, and for some few minutes the Everrtonians were decidedly having the better of matters. Unfortunately shooting was erratic, but towards the interval the ball was put into the net, though for some unaccountable reason, the whistle had been blown, and a free kick against the Wolves close to goal. Danger was cleared, and shortly afterwards the interval was announced with the score –Wolves 1 goal, Everton nil. The second portion of the game opened with an attack by Everton, but the Wolves quickly retaliated, and for some few minutes the Everton defenders were severely tested. Once Beats had an open goal as the result of Muir running out, but the custodian quickly recovered himself and cleared at the expenses of a corner. Gradually the play veered to the Wolves end and a fine long shot was sent by Boyle, Baddeley only just reaching it and saving at the expense of a corner. Two shots from Chadwick were also kept out, and a further attack resulted in Schofield equalising. Play for some time proceeded on even lines, Gee on one side and Tonks on the other occasionally putting in clever sprints on the wing that merited better results. Meanwhile Taylor and Schofield were busy in their efforts to get through but Blackett was in good form, and repeatedly kept them out. Forcing the game Everton obtained a corner and after a couple of failures to get the ball through, Toman cleverly scored. Nothing further was registered; Everton won by 2 goals to 1.

May 1, 1899. Sheffield Independent.
There were 8,000 people to see the closing match of the season at the Molyneux ground Wolverhampton, although the weather was dull. The opening play went rather in favour of the Wanderers, for whom Harper shot a goal in 15 minutes from the start. Then the victors showed to better advantage, putting plenty of spirit into their work. They could not overcome the home defence, however, and at half-time the Wanderers were still a goal to the good. After change of ends the visitors, continued to force matters, the Wanderers playing rather poorly. Ten minutes after the resumption, Scholfield equalised, but then the home forwards improved. They missed some good chances of scoring, however, and a couple of minutes from the finish Toman got a goal, which gave Everton the victory as under: - Everton 2 goals, Wolverhampton Wanderers 1 goal.

May 1 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Everton finished up their season in very creditable fashion by visiting and defeating the Wolves, thus securing fourth position on the League table. With the material that the executive had at their disposal during the season, the result must be particularly gratifying, and if such have not been obtained by attractive expositions of the game the managers of the club are certainly to be complemented upon having had a team of triers from beginning to end. The policy of the directors at present is tending towards the acquisition of class players and when next season comes round the sport loving public will undoubtedly show their appreciation by giving vanished support to the club. Already several notable exponents have been drafted into the ranks, and as the season for giving club managers a free hand commences today we may hear of further notable captures. It is state that the Everton directors will not spare say effort to obtain a thoroughly first rate team, and some exceptionally high class exhibitions are likely to be in store for visitors to Goodison Park next season. Several old faces will of course be missing, and Chadwick who has been identified with the club during the past ten years and who has done so much towards populating the game in the district will be among the number. A more conscientious servant the club has never had, and he takes with him the best wishes of all Liverpool followers of the code. Reverting to the game on Saturday last, there was little interest shown in the proceedings and it more resembled the ordinary friendly than a stern League encounter. Prior to the commencement there was something like consideration in the Everton camp for Settle, one of the recent captures had not jointed the team and moreover, had failed to notify the cause. Fortunately Owen the skipper of the team who resides at Wolverhampton was on the spot, and completed the eleven. The game opened in fairly even fashion end it was not until it was well nigh completed that Everton obtained a leading point, the being the result of a smart finishing touch by Toman from a corner kick. The balance of play was slightly in favour of the visitors, and by their success they thus obtained all four points in the season's League engagements with the Wolves. There was more method in the movements of the forwards and a gratifying feature to record was the really clever play of the two wing men Gee and Schofield, who combined with the inside men and centred when opportunity prevented itself with capital judgement. Gee especially put in excellent work, and appear to have completely got over his indisposition and he received excellent assistance from Chadwick. Toman did fairly well, but as usual, there was not a harder and more successful forward than Taylor, who was on Saturday a perfect grutton for work. By the way this player takes a well-deserved benefit immediately after the commencement of next season campaign, and as he has a host of admires in local football circles there is every prospect of the beneficiary receiving unstinted support. In conjunction with Schofield on Saturday the Everton right wing was ably represented and on more than one occasion were the Wolvers defenders extremely lucky in evading a downfall. At halfback Boyle was the most successful of the trio, and as usual Molyneux. Eccles and Muir finished a defence that left little to be desired. For the Wolves Baddley kept goal will, and was ably supported by Blackett and Davies. Whilst Fleming and Phasant at half back played an untiring game, and opened out numerous chances for their forwards to give a good account of themselves. The right wing pair were the more dangerous, but both ends of the line were kept well employed by Beats and but for the clever play of the Everton centre half a different complexion might have been put upon the game. As above stated, the general play was not of a very high class order but there could be no question that the Evertonians were a shade better than their opponents and consequently deserved their victory of 2 goals to 1.

May 3, 1899. The Lancashire Evening Post
Mr. Frank Brettell, formerly a well-known figure in Liverpool football circles, has been busily engaged in this city during the last few days, seeking recruits for the Portsmouth club, of which he was recently appointed the secretary. We understand that he has secured Stringfellow, Turner and Hughes of Everton, and that Kirwan, another Evertonian, has thrown in his allegiance with T.H. Bradshaw, the Ex-Liverpoolian, but left the lather club to join the Thames Ironworks, to which the famous Johnny Holt has also just migrated.

Aberdeen Evening Express –Wednesday 3 May 1899
Mr. Frank Brettell, formerly a well-known figure in Liverpool football circles, has been busily engaged in this city during the last four days looking out for recruits for the Portsmouth club, of which he was recently appointed the secretary. We understand that he secured Stringfellow, Turner, and Hughes of Everton and that Kirwan, another Evertonian, has thrown in his allegiance with Tottenham Hotspur. Bradshaw the ex-Liverpoolian, has left the latter club to join the Thames Iron-workers to which the famous Johnny Holt has also just migrated.

May 4 1899. The Liverpool Courier
Portsmouth have signed Everton combination players Stringfellow, Turner, and Hughes which must be a record for signing on from one club

Athletic News - Monday 15 May 1899
By The Loiterer
The balance-sheet of the Everton Football Company, Limited, for the season ending April 30, has been published, and is a very satisfactory one in every way.  The gross total is some $38 down as compared with season 1897-98, due in a great measure to the team being knocked out of the English Cup ties early on, and then the receipts from season tickets are down $66.  Otherwise the rank and file supporters of the club have turned up in greater numbers, as is shown by gate receipts 9,658 16s., against 8,786 1s 7d, the previous season.  To many outsiders, and I know without exception the members of the press are altogether out of their reckoning in gauging the attendances this season, and I frankly confess I am agreeably surprised to find this substantial increase of what after all is the backbone of any club, the sixpenny contributors.  These items form the wherewithal to meet expenses and with sundry items form the club.  That is a detail which we are getting used to.  But the team have done quite as well as the one that did duty before them, and at a much less expense.  Here are some of the items, of which the biggest amount goes to the earners – Wages, 4,958 14s, against 5,787 10s, 4d, for season 1897-98 a decrease of 829, and yet this reduced expenditure has obtained the same place in the League table, with three more points, the points on matches played being a trifle down.  There is no getting over the fact that last season’s team did exceptionally well in a playing sense, and were much cheaper.  Travelling expenses are down 87 pounds, and training expenses, consequent on the team’s failure in the Cup-ties, are also down 120.  Other items are much about the same, excepting one of great importance, viz., balance in hand, which now stands at 2,012 13s. 9d., against 736 8s. 4d., last season.  The club is in a sound financial state, and will start next season with cash in hand.  Such details as the question of mortgage I leave alone, believing that the land will always command the price of the mortgage, and leave something for the shareholders, should the worst come to the worst.  Of next season’s team the directors seem to be bent on going back to the old lines of securing the best talent.  Pressure no doubt has been brought to bear by the supporters of the club who have hardly been satisfied with the class of football shown last season, although the results have been so satisfactory, and as long as they pay the piper, the directors are wise in allowing them to select a tune now and again.  What I have objected to in regard to the star artists in the past has been more in the dilatory way they have performed at various times, or else I must admit we have not had as good football to watch.  In Toman and Settle the directors have obtained good men, and if one may believe the Birmingham paper, J. Sharp was only kept out of th Villa team owing to the fact that the club had an exceptionally good man in Athersmith, so that the forward line should be improved.  Chadwick retires after honourable service to the club.  Even he cannot play for ever, and he can say that he has had a real good innings.  The club also lose Kirwan, and I am surprised an effort was not made to retain him.   Gee, will, therefore, play outside-left with Settle, and Proudfoot will partner Sharp, or vice verse, and this will be a formidable forward rank, and with Toman in centre should score a lot of goals.  Unfortunately, there is the usual split in the camp, but the merits and demerits of the action of Mr. Clayton in resigning the position of chairman have been thoroughly ventilated in the local press, and I have no doubt it will produce some discord at the annual meeting, which otherwise would have been a happy reunion of directors and shareholders.  The annual meeting will be held in the Picton Lecture Hall, on May 18, at 8 o’clock sharp. 

May 17 1899
To the editor of the Evening Express.
SIR, – It has been constantly brought before my notice that the Press state that I am about to retire from football. This is not true. Why should I retire? I consider I have some good football left in me. This will probably surprise my Everton and Liverpool friends. If I retire it will be because the Everton directorate have placed such a large transfer fee on me so that I cannot obtain a decent situation. I have served the Liverpool public faithfully and honourably during my stay at Everton, and think it unfair to be treated thus. – Yours, &c.
Edgar Chadwick; 10, Fawcett-street, Blackburn, May 17.

May 17 1899
To the editor of the Evening Express.
SIR, – It has been constantly brought before my notice that the Press state that I am about to retire from football. This is not true. Why should I retire? I consider I have some good football left in me. This will probably surprise my Everton and Liverpool friends. If I retire it will be because the Everton directorate have placed such a large transfer fee on me so that I cannot obtain a decent situation. I have served the Liverpool public faithfully and honourably during my stay at Everton, and think it unfair to be treated thus. – Yours, &c.
Edgar Chadwick; 10, Fawcett-street, Blackburn, May 17.

May 17, 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Edgar Chadwick, the famous international forward of Everton, has been placed on the transfer
R list of the club, after ten years yeomen service, at £200. Chadwick considered that his lengthily connection with Everton entitled him to a free transfer and his application for this having been flattery declined, he has determined to appeal to the league to compel Everton to grant his request, or failing that to consider able reduce the figures, Chadwick desires to return. To the ranks of Blackburn Rovers of suitable terms can be arranged.

May 19 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Annual Meeting, A Lively Discussion
The annual meeting of shareholders of the Everton Football Club was held last night in the Picton Lecture Hall Williams Brown Street. There was a large attendance. Dr. Baxter, the chairman of directors, presided and the other directors present were Messrs. Clayton, Bainbridge, Crawshaw, Brooks, Davies, Keates, Cuff, Taylor, and Mr.Molyneux secreatary. After calling upon the secretary to read the circular convening the meeting, the chairman proposed that the report to be taken as read. This having been seconded was carried without dissent. The chairman, in moving the adoption of the balance sheet, said the past season, although it could not be described as brilliant, had been fairly satisfactory (hear, hear). The net results were that the club held fourth positions in the League, championship of the Combination, winners of the Liverpool Cup, and last, but not least, a balance of £2,012 upon the season's working (hear hear). Their position in the League was not a discreditable one when they considered how the club had been handicapped by accidents. Before the commencement of the season. Harley was injured in a practice match and they were thus deprived of the services of a player of whom much was expected. Shortly afterwards, Gee, who had shown good form was injured, and laid up for three months. Then Clark was taken ill, and an accident to Balmer in October last further weakened their ranks. Evertything considered however, their position was very satisfactory (hear hear); financially distinctly so (hear hear). The prospects for next season, which were of more important than past events, were highly favorable, and when the team was completed by the addition of a good outside left, a good inside right, and another halfback, they would be stronger perhaps, then they had been for some seasons past (hear, hear). With the exception of Boyle, and Taylor, all the older names had disappeared from their list (a Voice ‘'Shame''). That policy was justified by the fact that clubs who relied too long on the old hands inevitably lost prestige, and fell out of First Class Company. In support of that, he could cite the cases of Preston North End, Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, and Bolton. All those teams were good ones, but through the non-infusion of fresh blood they had gone stale, and had not been able to keep their position in First Class Company. The Combination team had joined the Lancashire Combination instead of the general Combination. This had been done in conjunction with Liverpool, for it had been found that the long railway journeys entailed a greater expense then was warranted. He then formally moved the adoption of the balance sheet. On the chairman asking if any questions were required, Mr. Wade made some reference about transfer fees amounting to £600 in respect to old players, and wanted to know if they were included in certain items on the balance sheets. After the chairman had announced that he did not think the question was in order at this stage the matter was dropped. The chairman next proposed to divided of 5 per cent. This was seconded by Mr. Plant, and carried. On the Chairman asking for nominations to fill the three vacancies on the board of directors. Mr. Burge asked the Chairman if he had received notice of a motion from Dr. Whitford proposing to reduce the number of directors, and, if so, why had it not been printed?

The chairman said when he received the notice from Dr. Whitford the notices had already been printed, and it could not be placed on the sheet. He had since seen Dr. Whitford, and he had left the matter in his (Dr.Baxter's) hands. Mr.Burge said he did not think the chairman had any option in the matter. If the notice had been sent in, it was the duty of the chairman to see that it appeared on the agenda paper. He asked the chairman to read the letter he had received from Dr.Whitford.

The Chairman did not think it was in the interest of the club to bring the matter forward. Dr. Whitford had left the matter in his hands, and he was going to use his discretion. Mr.Burge remarked that he was sure Dr.Whitford had not withdrawn his notice of motion. The doctor was acting for someone else, and he could not withdraw. He (Mr.Burge) hoped this was not commencement of a new regime on the part of the directors. He asked the chairman to read the letter. The Chairman said if Mr.Burge desired to further the resolution he could do so. Mr. Burge said he could not do so, as it was not on the agenda paper. The Chairman said the position was this. The letter to which Mr. Burge alluded to was sent after the balance sheet had been printed. He had since had a conversation with Dr.Whitford, who told him that the resolution was not altogether his. What the notice suggested was that a Match Committee should be appointed to selected the teams. Dr. Whitford however, had left the matter in his hands (applause). Mr.Burge-why will you not read the letter? The Chairman said he had not the letter with him, therefore he could not read it (laughter). Mr. Burge said the chairman was not autocrat of the club yet, and he could not do, as he liked. The Chairman said the matter was left in his hands, and he would use his discretion. Mr.Burge though the chairman was very much to blame for not bringing the latter to the meeting to be read. Mr. Jones said it was not fair for a gentleman to come to the meeting and call the chairman a liar. Mr.Burge protested against any such charge having made against him. The president he said, knew very well he would not do anything of the sort. Mr. Burge then asked the chairman if it was his intention to close all discussion at the meeting. The Chairman said they could discuss anything that was in order. Mr.Burge tried to proceed, but was cried down. Mr.Clayton then came forward and said he had a conversation with Dr.Whitford, who notified him that he had given in a notice of motion, and that it had been delivered to the directors in time for the last meeting, when the balance sheet was approved and ordered to be printed. Consequently the chairman must have been mistaken in saying that the balance sheet was printed before Dr.Whitford's letter was received. Dr.Whitford further told him that after he sent in the notice, two of the directors waited upon him and told him the matter had been discussed by them, and they hoped he would withdraw. He declined, because he said, he was acting for others (hear, hear). He also gave him (Mr.Clayton) the terms of the resolution which he had with him then, and could read if necessary (hear, hear, and ‘'No, no''). The Chairman-if Mr.Clayton likes to voice the resolution in his own names. I will receive it. From the tone of his remarks, I take it that he is the originator of it (hear, hear, laughter). If he like to put it to the meeting he may do so. The Chairman then said he was prepared to take nominations to fill the three vacancies on the directorate. The Secretary, in answer to a request from a shareholder, stated that the number of meetings held had been 46, and the attendance's were as follows: - Crawshaw 46, Davies 45, Bainbridge 42, Keates 41, Taylor 41, Brooks 37, Clayton 36, Kelly 36, Dr.Baxter 35, and Cuff 33. The following were the nominated for the three vacancies, Messrs E.A.Bainbrige, W.C.Cuff, and J.Davies (retiring directors), Dan Kirkwood, Mitchell, Burge, and Dr.McGeagh, Mr. Worthy was also nominated, but declined to stand. Mr.Burge asked when he might bring forward the question of the contretemps among the directors. The Chairman- I will give you an opportunity just now of taking adlibitium (cries of No no Laughter). Mr.Burge who persistent speaking was causing something like an uproar, though they were entitled to have some statement from Mr.Clayton as to why he resigned the chairmanship (hear, hear). The Chairman- we must proceed to the business of the club first. A shareholder- it will be too late then (hear hear). The Chairman said Mr.Clayton resignation was not a matter for that meeting. He was a director of the board and held the same position as when elected. He had resigned his trust to the directors and they had replaced him, but he was still a director. There was no explanation due to the meeting, because they did not appoint Mr.Clayton chairman. It was a matter, which concerned only Mr.Clayton and the board. He had that moment asked him if he desired to make any statement and Mr.Clayton replied that he did not care whether he did so or not.

Mr. Burge replied that he had moved that Mr.Clayton be asked to make a statement, and it had been seconded. He was proceeding to speak further, when there were renewed cries of ‘'Sit down,'' ‘'Shut up,'' and finally the matter was allowed to drop. While the scrutineers were absent counting the votes. Mr.Richmond asked how it was that a transfer fee of £200 had been put upon Edgar Chadwick to make him a presentation of a free transfer (hear, hear and applause). The Chairman said it had never been the way of the Everton club to get a high price on their players, and there was no fear of their being unreasonable with Chadwick. They had of course, to put a nominal sum opposite a player's name. But he could tell them that if any club wanted Chadwick they would find the Everton club very easy to deal with (hear hear). He might say that they had treated Chadwick in a very liberal way (hear hear).

Mr. Molyneux on being asked gave them the following list of players who had so far signed on for next season: - Goalkeepers, Muir and Kitchen, backs, Balmer, Molyneux, Eccles, and Crelly, halfbacks, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, Taylor, B.Sharp, Gordon, Blythe, and Murphy, forwards J.Sharp, Proudfoot, Gee, Toman Settle, Schofield, Marquis, Roche, Oldham Wheeler, and Bickett. Mr.Wade proposed that a match committee of three directors be placed from the board of directors to look after and select players for League matches and cup-ties. This was seconded, as also an amendment by Mr.D.Kirkwood that the number, be five instead of three. The Chairman said if the proposition was carried he hoped the meeting would also assign the names, it was decided to have the club managed in that style. He hoped the meeting would pick out the names, as it was not a matter of the directors. All the directors were able to do what the meeting proposed to relegate to a few. If not they had no right to be on the directorate (hear gear). After further discussions it was ultimately decided that there should be a match committee consisting of five members of the directorate, to be chosen by their own body. At this point the Chairman announced that the three retiring directors had been reelected, the voting being as follows - Bainbridge, 157, Davies, 157, and Cuff 154. The other gentlemen received the following votes; Dr.McGeagh 108; Kirkwood 58; Burge 63, and Mitchell 44. On the motion of Mr.Mahon, a cordial vote of thanks was accorded the chairman for presiding. This concluded the business of the meeting.

Athletic News - Monday 22 May 1899
Thank Heaven, Everton have got their annual meeting over at last, and have parted in peace and not in pieces, as some timid people feared they might do.  The public’s feeling have been harrowed in an awful way by a set of anonymous writers.  These freezers of our narrow chilled our young blood with the hint and innuendo method of application.  You know what I mean.  For instance, tell a man that he is a scoundrel, and if he is plucky and you are undersized he will probably fetch you a wipe across the snitch.  But don’t be discouraged; do it again and again, and get your friends to do it.  By and Bye the brave man’s spirit will be broken; incessant repetition will cow and unnerve him, till at last that upright citzean, model parent, and church leader will be convinced that he is only at large on a ticket-of-leave. 
Now, I hope I have made myself understood.  When the “Toffees” read in the papers that there was to be “a tremendous row” at the club’s annual meeting, they were at first indignant, and rightly so, because it was a reflection on their want of dignity and self-respect.  Still the croakers kept up the chorus.  “Row, row, row,” they cawed.  Indignation had now given way to amusement, amusement to fear, fear to the certainty that the dust would fly.  Ah, ha! The poison of suspicion was doings its work, embittering the kindiest feelings, causing each man to look upon the other as his enemy.  And when Thursday night arrived the shareholders trooped to the Picton Lecture Hall inoculated with evil thoughts of everybody except those who had egged them on and sown the seed of discord between them, and bent upon making a row – poor, deluded, hypnotized creatures. 
Nothing could have been quieter than the proceedings at the Picton Lecture Hall.  I am a great believer in the influence of environment myself, and I have an idea that the predicated row would really have taken place if it had not been for the splendor of the shareholders’ surroundings.  Marble status of national worthies, priceless paintings by old masters, and richly-bound books conjured away the rising storm; shareholders felt that they were decent, decorous and tony in their remarks.  The subject round which the supposed danger concentrated was not even alluded to – I mean that relations of Mr. Clayton to his fellow –directors, Mr. Clayton was re-elected a director; so were the others, and the appointment of Dr, Baxter as chairman was ratified with unanimity.  Only once was the word “shame” used.  And that was in a connection which deserves another paragraph.
“Shame!” shouted somebody in the hall, “Shame” Dr. Baxter was greatly surprised and shocked as he had need to be.  He was merely saying that with the exception of Boyle and Taylor all the old players had been got rid off.  That was why some sentimental shareholders shouted out “shame!”  He was quite indignant at the thought that the players who made Everton the men whose names used to be household words in football circles, having been squeezed dry, had been chucked aside as of no further use.  I suppose he would want the club to keep them on – to give them old-age pensions.  Because if he is at all logical, he must see that that is what it comes to –the balance-sheet burdened with a long list of good old have beens, the 5 per-cent, dividend hypothecated by wooden-legged, broken-backed, asthmatic veterans, who spent their youth and strength in the service of the club, and, mind you – got paid for it!  Away with such maudlin piffle.  No club could be run on those lines.  And, therefore, I am glad to see that the gentleman who cried “Shame” had no seconds.  The other shareholders were as much shocked and surprised as good Dr. Baxter himself.  They resented the imputation on their humanity.  And a strong silence froze that squeamish interrupter dumb.
At the same time, I think Dr. Baxter might have put the thing a little less crudely.  And I don’t altogether agree with his reasons why Everton have got rid of nearly all the old hands.  He implied that to keep players on for a long time was a mistake, a mistake to which he attributed the decline of Sunderland and some other clubs.  Let me point out that the newest new players have not maintained the traditions of the oldest old veterans on Wearside; and that if Sunderland has declined it has not been because the old players were kept on too long, but because they were got rid of too soon.  Dr. Baxter and his colleagues seem to me to be persisting in the error which wretched Everton last season.  And that is their insatiable thirst for change.  Last season, it will be remembered, the team was scarcely ever the same two Saturdays running.  The men were not always the same; some stranger was being constantly introduced.  But even when they were the same men they were placed in different positions, and I can only conclude the management had been studying the fascinating subject known to arithmeticians as the permtation of numbers and wanted to see how many combinations they could get out of eleven players without repeating themselves once.  So that there was always plenty of novelty, but precious little combination of the right sort that wins matches. 
After the above screech you will be surprised to learn that I thoroughly approve the introduction of new blood at Goodison Park.  I was only afraid that there would not be enough of it.  The published list of players gave the impression that the team was to be half and half, patchwork, last season’s disappointments mixed with next season’s hopes.  Tom and Settle handicapped with Gee and Oldham; a couple of plums expected to leaven a sad mess.  The result would have been failure; we would have got shandy-gaff in palce of sparkling champagne.  The club managers are going to avoid that mistake, at any-rate, by getting still more new players –a good outside left.  But it will all be useless unless they give the reconstituted team a fair trial.  Combination comes by practice, and there will never be any combination at Goodison Park so long as the directors continue taking the machinery to pieces to see whether it will fit in. 

May 27 1899. The Daily Post
Yesterday the Football League lodged an appeal, which will be eagerly, watched by all professionals, by Edgar Chadwick the famous international forward, of Everton Football Club. Chadwick contends that after ten years faithful services with the club which paid nothing for him in the way of transfer fees, he is entitled to an absolutely free transfer at all events, to a great reduction of the price (£200) placed upon him in the League transfer list.

May 30, 1899 The Liverpool Mercury
It is announced that the Everton Football Club have just signed Gray, the clever inside left of Patrick Thistle. Gray's only 22 years old, and is stated to be one of the smallest players in Scotland. His inclusion in the Everton team is sure to greatly strengthen the attack. He is tall and well built, and in addition of being a singularly deadly shot. The directors are confident that he will prove one of the best captures they have ever made.

June 7 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
Yesterday afternoon Everton secured the transfer of Abbott. From the Small Heath club. The transfer fee was a very large one. Abbott has been one of the most successful forwards ever with Small Heath, last season he scored 38 goals in the Second League competition while in all matches he scored nearly 60 goals.

Athletic News - Monday 12 June 1899
There has been great deal said and written about the action of the Everton F.C. in placing Edgar Chadwick in the transfer LIST at £200. It is only right to the club that the true facts should be stated. Everton certainly placed £200 opposite Chadwick’s name, but they openly declared that they had no intention of demanding that sum. Not only so, but under the impression that Chadwick wished to join his old club, the Blackburn Rovers, they offered to transfer him free of cost if the Rovers would play them “friendly” match at Everton. As this, at the outside, would have cost the Rovers matter of £5 it could not be considered a great hardship. We do not agree with many of the "fancy ” prices placed upon players, neither do the League, but in Chadwick’s case we fail to see where Everton have been difficult to deal with, and, although not in receipt of a princely salary at the start, Chadwick has had the exceptional experience of participating in two benefit matches.