December 1898



December 5 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team had a formidable task on hand in opposing Notts County at Trent Bridge on Saturday, and in view of such, made the journey accompanied by Meesr, Clayton, Bainbridge, Cuff, Keates, and Molyneux on Friday, in order to be able to take the field in a comparatively fresh condition. Sweeping changes in position were resorted to. Bell going centre forward, his place being taken up by Taylor and Chadwick resumed his old place at inside left. At halfback Owen made his reappearance after several weeks absence, and a post was found for Hughes, the combination player, on the left wing while Boyle returned to his old position on the right. On the County side. Montgomery played left back vice Leis, and when the teams took to the field they faced in the following order: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer (w), and Molyneux, backs Boyle, Owen (captain), and Hughes, halfbacks, Taylor, Proudfoot, Bell, Chadwick, and Gee, forwards. Notts County: - Toone, goal Prescott, and Montgomery, backs, Bull, Calderhead, and sanderson, halfbacks, Fletcher, Macconnachie, Logan, Boucher, and Fraser, forwards.

The opening stages of the game slightly favored the home club, whose right wing were engaged in several promising movements, which, however, were frustrated on nearing the last line of Everton's defence. Balmer and Moyneux were powerful in kicking, and eventually the visitors had a look in as the result of a free kick against Montgomery for tripping Bell. However Proudfoot was at fault with the finishing touch. For some little time play favored Notts, whose forwards were frequently in possession, and Muir was called upon to keep out several capital shots. From a corner kick Logan all but found the net, and Later, Macconchie was at fault after Fletcher had contributed a capital run down the right wing. Play then took a turn in favour of Everton. and for some minutes Chadwick and Gee caused much anxiety to the County backs and custodian who however, withstood the attack, only to be again severely tested by the right wing with an equally successful result. Eventually Logan put the ball into the net, but was ruled off side, and in close following Bell missed a splendid centre, which had he taken it, must have resulted in Everton opening the scoring account. At this juncture Bull retired hurt, and during his absence Taylor, Bell and Proudfoot were busy testing Toone to no purpose, and half time was reached with a blank score sheet. On resuming Bull took his place again, but he was evidently playing under difficulties and shortly afterwards left the field again. The Everton forwards entered upon their work in spirited play and had much the better of play. Through on one occasion Muir only just cleared a shot from Maconnachie from a free kick against Owen returning again Fraser looked like putting through when he was tripped up by Balmer just outside the penalty line, and from the free kick the ballwas placed into the net but on appeal, this point was not allowed. After 20 minutes play Montgomery failed to effect to clear a long shot from Owen, and Proudfoot quicking bouncing upon the ball, defeated Toone not allowing the custodian a chance of saving. This success arousing Evertonians to still more determinated, and a magnificent centre from Taylor was allowed to go unheeded when scoring appeared certain. There could be no question the superity of the visitors at this stage of the proceeding, and it was only at odd intervals that the County forwards were allowed to become dangerous, though in the last minutes of the game Muir had a couple of difficult shot to deal with. However nothing further was scored and Everton were returned victors by one goal to nil.



Decemeber 5 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. Everton had all the play in the first half, and Glass played a remarkably fine game in goal for Rhyl. It was half an hour before Everton scored through Barlow, and Kirwan quickly added two more and Bright a fourth. Half time Everton 4 goals Rhyl nil. Resuming Everton completely outplayed the Welshmen and Kirwan added three goals and Bright a fourth while Kirwan added another. Result Everton 9 goals Rhyl nil. (Game 12).



December 5 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

In opposing Notts County at Trent Bridge on Saturday it was generally admitted that the Everton Club were apportioned the most exacting task of the afternoon's series of League games, for the County held an unbeaten record in home game, and were popular favourites for the honours of the day. Especially was this so when it became known that the managers of the Everton club had perforce to almost completely revolutionise their team, but this much may be stated at once-that they never handled their resources more judiciously for almost without exception there was an improvement all along the line, and so far this season the club has not been more strongly represented. The inclusion of Chadwick in his old position brought about a levelling up of matters on the left wing that gave great tone to the proceedings, inasmuch as this particular and of the line had its fair measure of work, with the result that the right wing was not, as in previous matches, surfeited with work that can only have but one result, and that ultimate failure from over taxation of energy. This inclusion of Bell in the centre forward position was a success, and there can be no question that the interest of the club are best served with Taylor again amongst the forwards. In fact the work of the van was excellent and withal distributed with capital judgement, and there can be no quintet on Saturday was the most effective in all point that has represented the club so far this season. Taylor is undoubtedly a forward and in conjunction with Proudfoot will by more frequently contact demonstrate that his services in this position will be of inestimable value to the club. Bell kept the wings employed with a great measure of success, and during the second half, when the County halves and backs had often been completely overrun, the inside game was played to a nicely, and further association must inevitably lead to even more successful results. Gee improved considerable upon his late performances, and taking the attacking line as a whole, there was a district improvement in concerned action, which augurs well for future engagement. The half back line, owing to an injury to Wolstenholmes, and the drafting of Taylor to the forwards line caused much anxiety to the directors of the club. Boyle took up his old position on the right, and the other end of the line was represented by Hughes, while Owen was again included after several week's absence. The performance of the trio did not given much promise in the early stage, but having once got into the swing of the game, there was a steadiness of aim and character in their play that eventually had much to do with the successful issue of their side. On the right Boyle played a masterly game, and in the second half Owen rarely lost an opportunity of showing to advantage whilst Hughes for a first appearance against class performers, came out of the contest with credit. In breaking up the combination of the County forwards, the trio were undoubtedly clever arponents and throughout their play was such that it will not be too much to expect even better results in prospective engagement. Balmer and Molyneux also played a sound, resourceful, and steady game, rendering great assistance to Muir, who in consequence, was not severely tested, and this division of the team completed a side that was splendidly balanced in all positions. The result of the game came as a big surprise to the notts supporters, and one would imagine that it exceeded the hopes of the Everton Club officials following as it did upon the compulsion of resorting to wholesale changes, but there can be no doubt that with similar representation and unanimous feeling this pervaded the team on Saturday, the course should be open to many future successes. With the exception of the first 20 minutes of the game, the Notts forwards never looked like winning. The close attentions of the Everton trio were too much for them, and though at times they did manage to evade the man they were placed in such extremities that it was scarcely possible for them to put in a decent shot. The wingmen, Fletcher in particular often did good work, and centred capitally, but invariably Owen was on the spot, and it must have been pleasing to the few Evertonians that made the journey to notice the complete to form of the skipper. The County halves had a most exacting duty to preform, and they succeeded fairly well, despite the fact that Bell was injured in the first half, and was practically of little use afterwards. At full back Prescott who is better known in this district did fairly well, and in goal Toone cleared himself of many difficulties with capital judgement. Taking the game as a whole the result in Everton's favour was quite in keeping with the general run of the play, and similar representations in future matches cannot fall but bring about a series of victories.


EVERTON 2 STOKE 0 (Game 289)

December 12 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the Seaon's League engagements between these clubs took place at Goodison Park on Saturday before the close upon 10,000 spectators. The home team, with the exception of Bell, was the same that preformed so well at Trent Bridge on the previous Saturday, but there were several changes in the Stoke eleven that scarcely tended to strengthen their prospects of success. At 2-30 the sides under the guidance of MR. Kirkham, took the field as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goals, Balmer (w), and Molyneux, backs, Boyle, Owen (captain), and Hughes halfbacks, Taylor, Proudfoot, Oldham, Chadwick, and Gee forwards. Stoke: - Clawley, goal, Robertson, and Eccles, backs, Turner (jun), Deskin, and Bradley, halfbacks, Johnson, Hales, Maxwell, Farrell, and Turner (j), forwards. The Stoke forwards were the first to become dangerous and several times their let wing were engaged in testing the home defence. Faulty shooting, however spoiled otherwise good work and eventually the Everton right wing were seen to advantages. Taylor testing Clawley with a capital shot that required the best efforts of the custodian to prevent downfall. Gee followed immediately afterwards with another that was also ably dealt with but for some little time the play deteriorated and little of interest was noticeable. Chadwick forced a corner kick, which was well placed, to Oldham, who however, put over the bar and from a free kick close in the centre placed the ball into the net, but was promptly ruled offside. On two other occasions the home forwards found the Stoke net, but infringements were apparent and following a stout attack the monotony was broken by Maxwell, who raced grandly down, but was hampered with his final touch. At the other end, Proudfoot shot wide of the mark, and immediately afterwards a fine centre by Gee was headed away from under the bar. A capital save from Taylor was the next item, but eventually some smart passing between Chadwick and Gee resulted in Oldham beating Clawley after play had been in progess half an hour, the same player again beating the custodian from an opening by Chadwick, Everton this leading at the interval by 2 goals to nil. The second portion of the game opened in favour of Everton for whom Proudfoot put in a splendid shot that was cleverly kept out, while at the other end Turner centred smartly and had Maxwell been well up Everton margin of victory must have been reduced. Farrell them missed a ridiculously easy chance and Muir was enable to save following which Taylor opened out a couple of chances to Oldham, but they were not utilsed. Two hugh kicks from Molyneux dropped dangerously in the goalmouth and required all attention from Clawley, and then for a lengthy period the play degenerated into a mere scramble. There was little cleverness shown by either team, though the Evertonians always held the upper hand, and it was not until the closing stages that there was further interest in the proceedings. Then Hales put in a capital shot for the visitors, and the Everton forwards forced three corners in quick succession, put nothing came of them and a rather disappointing game was brought to a close without further scoring. Result Everton 2 goals, Stoke nil.



December 12 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Llandundo in fine weather, before a fair gates Half time Everton 3 goals Llandudno 1. A good first game, in which the home team was in no way disgraced. Result 4 goals to 1 in favour of Everton. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles and Ramsden, backs, Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Ball halfbacks Clarke, Bright, Crompton, Kirwan, and Schofield, forwards.



December 12 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

If the form displayed in the matches recently witnessed at Anfield and Goodison park, respectively be taken as representing the ability of the average League team, it must be reluctantly admitted that the standard of football is deteriorating considerably, and little surprise need to expressed that the spectators is becoming dissatisfied with such exhibitions, and demonstrating his discontent by the diminished gates which have been the rule of late. This was the case on Saturday. when Stoke opposed Everton in the first of this season's league contests a straggling game resulting in the discomfiture of the Potters by two goals. Doubtless in view of their repeated unsuccessful efforts, the Stoke eleven suffered considerable alterations from that originally chosen, but whatever may have been their previous failures, they were pronounced enough in this instance, and a more unsatisfactory display can hardly be imagined. There were very few interesting passages, and these emanted principally from the home side, the result being that the game degenerated in quality as it progressed and little interest was produced by the proceedings. There was little or no combination displayed by the visitors weakness being palpable in almost every department and Everton had practically very little to overcome. That they were victorious by two goals to nil was only what their play deserved, and it would have been a very poor team indeed that could not have threatened Stoke on Saturday's form. The home side had the game in hand all through, but there was nothing particularly brilliant even about their efforts, though with more capable opponents they would doubtless have proportionately improved. The work of the forwards was chiefly confined to the left wing, and an extended distribution to the right would have produced more satisfactory result. Capital play was witnessed between Chadwick and Gee, and the outside man showed more energy and skill than has been witnessed before the season. Whilst his centres were accurately placed and invariably boded danger. Chadwick's inclusion has greatly strengthened the forward line and he displayed all his well-known command of the ball, whilst his daft passes to the men on either side were executed in his old inimitable style. He presented both Oldham and Gee with splendid chances, which it must be admitted were usually well utilsed, and the second goal was greatly attributable to the inside man, who practically worked the opening for Oldham to score. The latter shot well, and had the satisfaction of scoring both goals. Taylor might have been furnished with more employment, but he repeatedly made openings for himself and was one of the most hard working players on the field. His partner Proudfoot, was not seen to the same advantage, and was the least successful of the home quintet. At half the recruit, Hughes gave a very promising display, and a repetition of this form should ensure his incursion in the team for some time. As a boy, the trio were too good for the Stoke forwards, who could only on rare occasions work into a dangerous quarter. Molyneux was the better back, Balmer being weak both in kicking and tackling, but the former readiness excellent service in every respect. Muir had little to do until near the close of the game, when he had a couple of very warm shots to dispose of from the Stoke left wing. The forwards on the visiting sides were very unsatisfactory, particularly in front of goal, where some easy chances were ridiculously missed. Maxwell was not effective in the centre, and the best work came from Joe Turner who was however badly supported. They made little headway when in possession, and there appeared to be a complete lack of understanding between them. The halfbacks were the weakest part of the team, and gave their front rank practically no assistance. Whilst they were easily defeated by the home forwards. The full backs kicked well when allowed plenty of space, but were only moderate when pressed. Clawley ably defended his charge, and saved numerous shot in good style, one clearance from an onward rush of the home front being exceptionally clever. Everton were much the better team, and should have gained a more decisive victory than they actually did accomplish. A really good game of football would be heartily welcomed in the district for few such have been witnessed this season.



December 19 198. The Liverpool Mercury

The Visit of Everton to the headquarters of Aston Villa product no small stir as at the commencement of the game there would be quite 20,000 spectators present, while towards the interval the ground appeared to be conformably packed. The Everton team, with the exception of Bell, who displayed Oldham in the centre, was the same that defeated Stoke at home last Saturday, while the Villa were short of Aston Villa and James Cowan the absence of this pair giving rise to much doubt to the ability of the Villa to continue its triumphant at Aston Park. At 2-15 the sides, under the guidance of Mr.Barker (Hanley) took the field as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer (w), and Molyneux goals, Boyle, Owen, (captain), and Hughes, halfbacks, Taylor, Proudfoot Bell, Chadwick, and Gee forwards. Aston Villa: - George, goal Sharp (b), and Evans, backs, Bowman, Wilkes, and Crabtree, halfbacks, Athersmith, Devey, Johnson, Wheldon, and Smith forwards. The Villa commenced operations with a determined attack on the Everton goal, and in the first few minutes Balmer and Molyneux were found plenty of work. Smith tested Muir with a clever low shot that was ably dealt with and a long pressure ended in Boyle and Taylor making tracks to the Villa end, where Evans was prominent on more than one occasions a preventing a parting shot at George. The stay in the Villa half was however, of short duration and breaking away again the home left had the better of a tussle with Balmer, with the result that Wheldon put in a swift shot at Muir who was again called upon by Athersmith, both shots being cleared in business like fashion. Bowman then had an excellent chance of opening the scoring account but kicking wildly over the bar, and from the goalkick Chadwick and Gee improved matters for the visitors though the latter subsequently failed to utlised a fairly easy chance. The home forwards, were however, much the better lot and frequently covered the ground with the greatest of ease by means of Sharp and accurate passing all alone the line. Final; efforts were not so accurate, and consequently the Everton goal survived many dangerous onslaughts. George was then called upon though he was never seriously hampered and following another breakaway by the Villa right the ball was centred beautifully and Wheldon headed the ball into the net quite out of Muir's reach. Nothing further of moment transpired up to half time, when Villa held the lead by 1 goal to nil. Immediately on resuming the Evertonians put new life into their work and were exceedingly unlucky in not getting upon equal terms with their opponents. Gradually the Villians again asserted themselves, and settled down to a really brilliant exhibition of the passing game, which was hugely appreciated by the crowd. Time after time the Everton goal was threatened, but nothing could have been finer than the display of Muir, who kept out all kinds of shots in his own inimitable fashion. Eventually Devey headed a second goal from a corner kick taken by Smith, and for some time afterwards the efforts of the visitors seemed to be exclusively confined to keeping the Villa forwards from getting in a parting shot. A centre from Athersmith resulted in Johnson beating Muir for the third time, but this point should never have been allowed, as it was undoubtedly offside. It was only on odds occasions that the visitors were seen to any advantage, and during one of their attacks the ball was apparently in the net when George fisted out, and on this occasion also the referee decided favourably to the Villa. No other points was scored and a one-side game ended favourably to the Villa by 3 goals to nil.



December 19 1998. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. The game was even for a time. At length Everton found an opening Kirwan notching the first point, and the score was 2 to none in favour of the home side at half time. On the resumption, Butlet for Druids and Clarke for Everton added goals and Everton won by 3 goals to 1. (Game 14). Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles, and Lewis, backs, Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Ball, halfbacks Clarke, Bright, Crompton, Kirwan, and Schofield, forwards.



December 19 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team appear to have lost none of their popularly as a drawing team in the Midlands as the attendance's at Aston Park on Saturday reached quite 25,000. By reason of the position of the club in the League table, an exceptionally keen game was anticipated and from the absence of two of the Villa regular players there were few to be found who were over snagging as to their ability of the home team to retain its unbeaten home record. However there could on the actual play have been only one ending to the game, and that certainly did not point to the success of Everton. Who were hopelessly beaten as almost every point in the game. The Villa to a man appeared to have but one object in view, and that concerted action, while their opponents floundered about in aimless fashion, with the result that there was a superabundance of energy exerted that had practically little or no bearing towards the final success and the only surprise was that the men survived the racing about as well as they did. The Villa played a cool, collected game all through. The Sharp low passing of the forwards always well directed was greatly admired, and the understanding that existed between the van and those immediately behind them was well nigh perfect to that keeping this in view, it is not to be wondered at that the side occupied the lion share of the play all through the game. The wing men were especially clever in centring the ball, while the three inside men made good use of their chances and must have piled on goals, but for the really brilliant exhibition of custodianship by Muir. On the other hand, the Everton forwards had not that complete command of the ball, and in fact, they have not this season been seen to less advantage. Aimless passing was noticeable all through the game, and for once in a way they were only moderately supported by the halfbacks. Chadwick put in many fine touches of play, and Taylor also showed that with support matters might have taken a different turn but the pair making their own play, were helpless against the Villa defenders and on the whole the exposition of the line though never working harder, rarely pointed towards successful result. As stated above there appeared to be a definite plan of campaign existing between the home halves and forwards, and the complete understanding between these divisions stood out in bold relief to the comparatively half attempt of the visitors. In the second half of the game, individual efforts on the part of the Everton forwards was frequently resorted to and on several occasions there were prospects of tangible results. Still, these were but flashes, while the Villa kept on the even tenor of their way and on the actual run of the game were quite three goals better than their opponents although the margin might have been considerably reduced had the referee sustained two reasonable appeals from the visitors. The third goal was palpably offside, and in fisting out a warm shot, George the home custodian appeared to have been well within the net at the time of making the clearance. Still there could be no getting beside the fact that the Villa thoroughly deserved their success and had their victory been even more pronounced it would not have occasioned any surprise, to those who witnessed the game. The Everton backs had a most anxious time, and on the whole came out fairly well, but the honours of the side undoubtedly fell to Muir, who gave a really masterly exhibition between the uprights. The Villa defence was superb, and more finished work was scarcely possible than that excuted by Evans as left back, who tackled placed the ball, and cleared when under difficulties with excellent judgement. The abilities of George were not much tested, but he was twice lucky in escaping defeat. By their reverse Everton give place in the League list to Burnley who are due at Goodison Park on Saturday, and if full points are to be netted there will need to be more than one change in the team that did duty at Aston.


EVERTON 4 BURNLEY 0 (Game 291)

December 26 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the season's League between Everton and Burnley was played on Saturday at Goodison Park, and by reason of the club running a close race for second place in the competitive table more than ordinary interest was centred in the event. About 16,000 resembled on the ground, and at 2-30 the sides, which had undergone several alterations faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer (w) and Molyneux backs, Boyle, Taylor (captain) and Hughes halfbacks, Bell Proudfoot Oldham, Chadwick, and Kirwan, forwards. Burnley: - Hillman goal, Place (sen) and McLintock, backs, Barron, Taylor and Livingstone, halfbacks, Morrison, Ross, Toman (w), Bowes, amd Place (Jun) forwards. The game opened in even fashion, but there were early evidences that the contest would be most keen. The home forwards led on by Oldham threatened disaster, but the Burnley backs were particularly smart at this juncture and repeatedly prevented shots at Hillman. Kirwan put in a couple of fine runs on the left, and breaking away again centred beautifully, and Proudfoot headed into the net, Hillman having practically no chance of saving. Immediately afterwards the Everton goal had a lucky escape, Taylor after a long pressure fortunately charging down a shot from Toman that must otherwise have found the net. Burnley them had a spell of attack and by their smart passing especially on the left wing, they were repeatedly it close proximity to the Everton citadel. The passing, however, was overdone and the home backs were afforded plenty of opportunities to show their tackling abilities, and that they did in clever fashion. Toman, who sent in a particularly clever shot, however, tested Muir, but another breakaway on the Everton left ended in Kirwan rounding Place sen, and defeating Hillman with a magnificent shot. This second reversed resulted in Burnley putting more string into their play, and for some time the ball was dangerous near the Everton goal. A free kick close in only brought about a fruitless corner, following which Taylor tackled Ross when the latter looked like putting through, and putting the ball to Proudfoot, the last named raced between the backs, and put on a third goal, which was almost immediately afterwards followed by another from Oldham. No other points were scored upto the interval, when Everton were leading by four goals to nil. The second half opened in even fashion, and the visitors were the first to make a determined attack on goal. Muir was always safe and eventually some clever play on the part of Chadwick brought about a corner, from which Hillman only just managed to clear. The visitors had strengthened their forward division and played but one back, so that the Everton spoiled much of the interest in the proceedings forwards being repeatedly ruled offside. Occasionally the wing men managed to get through but were faulty in shooting, though for the greater part the visitors had a slight pull over their opponents, who however, were most ably represented in the back division. Nothing further was scored, and Everton won by four goals to none.



December 26 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

At Rhyl. A good game was witnessed and Rhyl had the best of the game during the first half, scoring the first goal within quarter of an hour. Everton followed with a corner just before halftime. In the second half Everton pressed at the start but Rhyl quickly altered matters, and secure two corners and one shot just the missed the bar. Everton scored repeatedly. Result was 5 goals to 1 in favour of Everton. (Game 15) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Eccles, and Crelly, backs, Wolstenholmes, Stringfellow, and Ball halfbacks Marquis, Bright, Crompton, Barlow, and Gee forwards.


December 26, 1898. Glasgow Herald.

The visit of the Burnley team to Everton proved an excellent attraction, and with fine weather prevailing, some 10,000 people turned up at Goodison Park. Everton kick-off against the wind, and at once took the play to their opponents goal, where Proudfoot scored from a centre by Kirwan. The Burnley attacked and the Everton goalkeeper fisted out two splendid shots by Toman. The Everton forwards, however, began pressing again, and in quick succession Kirwan, Proudfoot, and Oldham added further points. Half-time thus came with Everton leading by 4 goals to 0. On resuming, the visitors made a determined attack, on the home goal, but they found the Everton defence too strong for them. The Everton forwards then took up the attack, but they were not favoured with the best of luck in their shooting. Owing to an injury, one of the Burnley backs was absent, and this caused the Everton men to be penalised for being offside several times. None of the kicks, however, proved successful, and nothing further being scored, Everton won by four goals to nil.



December 26 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The recent success of the Burnley team invested their visit to Goodison Park with additional interest, and prior to the commencement of the game, everything seemed to point to an even contested. However, before the first half was terminated Everton had completely upset all these conjunctures, and at the finish had gained their most effective victory of the season. There was a marked contrast between the methods of the contending teams, the visitors adopting the close passing game, while Everton favoured a more open style, with correspondingly gratifying result. The display of the home team was a tremendous improvement upon that of the previous work, and this was particularly noticeable in front of goal, where almost every opportunity was utilsied to the fullest extent. The forwards fairly revelled in their work, and went for goal in a manner that was positively refreshing, and the greatest tribute to their skill was when in the second half, the visitors adopted the expedient of playing one back, and six forwards, their defence could not sustain the dashing advances of the home quintet by the customary infringement of an eleven and though their tactics proved successful in checking the scoring, there is not much to admire in such a tacit acknowledgment of helplessness. Frequent resources to the methods of procedure would do much to bring the game into disrepute. Much of the credit of a well-deserved victory must be contributed to the efficiency of the home front rank, which has rarely given a more capable exhibition. The work was well distributed along the line, but the chief feature was the splendid manner in which they made for goal. When once in possession they never hesitated but forged ahead in grand style and made no mistake about shooting. They completely baffed the Burnley defence, which was made so appear very ordinary, and better forwards play need not be wished for than that given by the Everton five in the first half, for it combined all the necessaries of success. The re-inclusion of Kirwan made a considerable difference in the general effectiveness, and he proved an admirable partner for Chadwick, displaying compete command of the ball, and making no mistake when in the vicinity of goal. The consequence was that the Everton left wing proved very aggressive, and more nearly approached the level of excellence, which in former seasons has characterised the portion of the attack. The second goal was entirely due to the cleverness of the outside man, who fairly outwitted Place, and running close in nonplussed the burly Hillman with a terrific shot. There was, however, harmony permeating the whole line and although Kirwan was particularly prominent, Oldham executed some splendid work in the centre, and carried the wing along in rare fashion. There is undoubtedly a future in store for this capable forward and unfortunately for Burnley he was seen at his best against them. Proudfoot also rendered, an excellent account, and both Chadwick and Bell were simply less noticeable on account of the exceptional individual feats performed by the others. In comparison with the overdone passing of the Burnley five, the exhilardings and effective dashes of the home van were vastly superior and Everton need not attempt any other course of procedure to maintain their already high position in the League. On the other hand, the Burnley forwards gave a delightful exposition of short passing, but they indulged in so much of this that the home halves of full back invariably stepped in, and with a single effort rendered valueless every elaborate movement. The left wing in the first half was extremely tricky but gained no tangible result, and considering the work done in leading the ball well into close quarters they should certainly have opened their scoring account. One could not but admire their clever footwork but opposed to a defence like that which prevailed on Saturday, all their labour was practically useless. Nevertheless, they showed such skill in passing that a different result to that which actually did occur could easily be easily be imagined under more fortunate conditions. There was the same fault all along the line-nothing but a continual round of passing and repeated and though there were occasions, when Muir was the only defender left to vanquish, the capable custodian was good enough for everything that came to him. As will have already been sumitted the Everton defence was in capital trim. Of a hard working trio of halves Taylor at centre led the way, and the Burnley methods were just to the liking of this stering player, who repeatedly broke up all the attempted combination of his opponents. The backs were sound, and Muir excelled himself between the upright saving his charge from Toman when a score appeared a certainly, and only once made a faulty clearance, the danger, however, being finely averted by Taylor. The Burnley defence was by no means strong though Hillman had no chance whatever with the first three goals, while the fourth was evidently owing to a misunderstanding between him and the left back. Of the full back McLintock was seen to more advantage, but the halves were erratic, and at times were easily beaten. Everton fully deserved their victory and though the margin was so great, and possibly overates their superiority, every goal was well obtained, and no chance of making headway was allowed to pass unheeded. The defenders were always in the right place for stopping the well meant efforts of the visitors, and the latter were eventually compelled to retire a well-beaten team. Today Everton oppose the Corinthians and will be represented by the same eleven that rendered such an excellent account against Burnley. As the visitors have also a strong side, there should be a capital game, for the exceptions given by Mr.>Jackson's combination at Anfield last season is not yet forgotten.



December 27 1898. The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of the famous amateur team to the immediate district has always stirred the pulse of local followers of Association football, and yesterday afternoon was no exception to the rule, fully 25,000 enthusiasts assembled at Goodison Park to witness what eventually turned out to be a really brilliant exposition of the code. In the forenoon a match was played between representatives of the press and Railways, though the weather was not at all favorable to the pursuit of outdoor pastime there was a good attendance, as sum of over £12 was taken at the gate, and this in addition to the proceeds from sale of tickets and subscriptions should ensure good cheer for the newsboys and newsgirls on whose behalf, as in former years the game was arranged. The right Hon. The Lord Mayor attended, and in a downpour of rain set the ball rolling. A capital game followed, and press representatives scoring none in each half, won by 2 goals to nil. For the big event which followed in the afternoon strong sides had been selected and shortly after half pass two the teams put in an appearance as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer and Lewis, backs, Boyle, Taylor (captain), and Hughes, halfbacks, Bell Proudfoot, Crompton, Chadwick, and Kirwan forwards. Corinthians: - Russell (SHJ), goal, Timmis (WV) and Oakley (WJ), backs, Darvell (S), Wreford-Brown (OE), and Vickers (H), halfbacks, Haig-Brown (AR), Stanborough (WF), Smith (GO), Taylor (SS), Corbett (BO) forwards. Referee Mr.Thomas (Burnley). Everton were the first to make determined attack, but the interception of a pass from Chadwick by G.O.Smith enabled Haig-Brown to get well down, though when in good position the Corinthians right unfortunately ran the ball into touch. Everton renewed the attack, and Crompton put the ball into the net, but was promptly ruled offside and on returning again Proudfoot only just missed the mark. Another fine run by Crompton opened out a splendid chance for Proudfoot who ran between the backs, but failed with his final shot. The game was very open and interesting, and a really fine bit of work was contributed by Corbett and Taylor on the Corinthians left, which eventually resulted in a corner kick that was all but converted by Smith. Again the Vistors left wing pair was particularly busy; in fact the combination of the whole quintet at this juncture was of a high order and on more than one occasion they looked like opening the scoring account. Wreford-Brown excuted many fine touches of play, which for a considerable period kept his inside forwards well employed, and eventually Hay-Brown outwitted Lewis in easy fashion, and just as Balmer had stepped across to tackle, the ball was smartly put to Stanborough, who drove into the net with terrific force, giving Muir no chance of effecting a save. During the next few minutes the Everton forwards were busy in the Corinthians half, but owing to some fine tackling, shots at goal were frequently frustrated. Kirwan put in a splendid high shot, which Russell only partial saved; and as Bell lay well up, the ball was promptly put into the net, thus bringing the teams upon equal terms again. A grand save by Muir from Taylor at close quarters was luckily cleared, and a few minutes later the Everton Taylor distinguished himself by brilliant tackling of the Corinthian inside men, which led up to Chadwick and Kirwan making headway. Timmis headed out a long shot from proudfoot, but, meeting the rebound Crompton crushed the ball into the net, giving his side the lead. Timmis again let the Everton left in, but Russell was safe between the upright, and twice got rid if difficult shots. Meanwhile the play had lost none of its interest and the spectators by their hearty cheers gave the players every encouragement. The forwards play reached a high standard and much of their success was due to a perfect understanding that existed with the halfbacks. The Corinthians left wing pair frequently had the better of Boyle and put in many fine centres, which required the best efforts of Muir and his backs to prevent tangible results accuring. None the less successful was Crompton the Everton centre who kept his wings well going and by his dash when on the ball was certainly one of the most dangerous forwards on the field. Play then veered to the Everton goal, and most of the attacks this time came from Haog-Brown, who frequently outwitted Lewis, and give Muir many anxious moments. As the interval approached the Corinthains gave a splendid display of cncerted action, and but for the fine tackling of Taylor at centre half they must have got upon even terms with they opponents. Breaking away Crompton again found the net, but was palpably offside and the point was promptly disallowed. The same player initiated a fine movement, which resulted in Kirwan centring, but no one was up, and a moment later the centre was at fault with nicely, an own goal. Success followed shortly on Hughes passing the ball to Proudfoot who banged it in, no mistakable fashion, into the net, the interval then arrived then arriving with the score Everton 3 goals Corinthians 1. The players did not leave the field, and the game was quickly resumed. The second half opened in brisk fashion, the ball travelling from end to end in quick succession. Kirwan extricated himself in remarkably clever fashion when surrounded by opponents, but Chadwick was not able to make use of his pass and Victors eventually got possession and drove well down the field, An exciting tussle then followed in front of the Corinthians goal, which was eventually relieved by Oakley, and for some little time afterwards the Everton forwards looked like further increasing their lead. The Everton goal was then subjected to pressure Smith being mainly instrumental in leading on several attacks. The short crisp passing of the Corinthians was greatly admired, and one of the finest attempts to score during the game came from the visitors centre who from a difficult position gave Muir a dangerous oblique shot to deal with. Twice were openings found for Corbett but faulty shooting spoiled his effort, and when success seemed certain. Haig-Brown was unfortunately ruled offside. The heavy pace that had obtained during the first half had now toned down considerably, but the play continued to be attractive and evenly distributed. For some little time the Corinthians had more of the play, and no two occasions, the Everton goal narrowly escaped downfall. Later Stanborough had the goal at his mercy, but shot into Muir's hands, and towards the close the Everton left got away Russell eventually succumbing to Chadwick from a short range. During the closing Muir brought off two magnificent saves from Smith and Stanborough respectively, and Russell also showed capital judgement in preventing Proudfoot from again penetrating his goal. An appeal for a penalty against the Corinthians was not upheld, and just on time Muir was penalised for running the ball, and from the free kick it was rushed into the net. Final- Everton 4 goals Corinthians 2.