April 1900


April 2 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League game between these clubs at Goodison Park on Saturday did not met with much support, for at the start of the game there would not be more than 6,000 present, though later on the numbers reached five figures. Several changes were made in the Everton front rank. Sharp displacing Taylor at outside right while McDonald was given a trial at centre forwarsd, and Oldham at inside left. At halfback Blythe was dropped for Wolstenholmes, and at left full back Crelly substituted Molyneux. The Rovers had a good side, and the teams lined out as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer, and Crelly, backs Wolstenholmes, Boyle (captain), and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp, Toman, McDonald, Oldham, and Gee, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Whittaker, goal, Crompton, and Hardy, backs, Anderson, Booth, and Haworth halfbacks, Whittaker, Somers, Dewhurst, Blackburn, and Briercliffe, forwards. Play opened in brisk fashion, each end being quickly visited in turn. Sharp looked like getting though, but was eventually hustled off the ball, and a free kick shortly afterwards against Boyle threatened danger until Blackburn headed over. The Everton centre half a few minutes later put in a capital high shot, which called forth the best efforts of Whittaker to keep out. Oldham followed with a shot which, the custodian also managed to save, and following some smart play by the Rovers the Everton goal had a narrow escape. Balmer came to the rescue with a strong kick, but returning again Briercliffe had the better of a tussle with the Evertonians and put in a swinging cross shot, which however was allowed to go abegging. Several openings were missed by both sets of forwards, and at the interval nothing had been scored. On resuming the Rovers right wing pair, put in some clever work, but there was no finish to their movement-a defect that was also notice able at the visitors end, where Boyle with a clear opening shot high. Most of the attack came from the outside right man. Whittaker and Sharp the better after sprinting grandly down, was however tripped up when about to shoot. The free kick came to nothing, but shortly afterwards the Evertonians was again in evidence, and his efforts were duty appreciated by the crowd, as he finished up with a magnificent shot, which Whittaker as brilliantly saved. Play was languid in the extreme, and an effort to improve matters was resorted to. Oldham went centre forward, and for some little time the change worked well. As the end approached determined attempt was made to lower the Rovers colours but their defence held out gallantly, and when time arrived the result stood- Everton nil, Rovers nil.



April 2 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Blackburn, before 2,000 spectators. The Rovers had slightly the better of the first half. Waring missing the post by inches and Swift nearly scoring. Everton then pressed for a considerable time, but could not score while Crook in a breakaway had hard lines with a grand effort. At the interval there was no score. In the second half the Rovers pressed hard forcing several corners but could not score, Result Rovers 0 Everton 0. (Game 24) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Eccles, and Watson backs, Cowell, Green and Blythe halfback, Roche Dawson Proudfoot, Chadwick (a) and Gray, forwards .



April 2 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Is there any likelihood of the Everton team scoring another goal this season ? This is a question they may well be asked after the display given against the Rovers. A week ago, 90 minutes were played without a goal being scored, when Everton were supposed to be represented by their strongest side. This caused the team's selectors to make a sweeping change in the personnel of the front rank with the result that another 90 minutes was productive of the same barren result. Three hours work and not a single point of any sort to show for it is, to put the matter mildly most disappointing. There is no question of hard luck about this failure; a continual missing of the mark by inches or other similar annoyances; nothing but the downright incompetence of the whole bunch of attacking when in front of goal, is the solution to the puzzle. In midfield the forwards do not shape at all badly, but as soon as they get within shooting distance their ability vanishes, and the strength of their onslaught quailing presumably before the ardent gaze of the opposing custodian, fizzles away into a limp and useless mass. The weaknesses of the previous Saturday were not remedied by the changes made in the team to represent the club against the Rovers. Nay in some instances, notably at left back and inside left, the alterations intensified rather than remedied the earlier defects. But, as before mentioned, the chief drawback to the team's success is the inability or if preferable, the unwillingness of the forwards to get goals. It should be borne in mind by these latter that the space guarded by the vigilant custodian is necessarily of limited dimensions, and also those opposing defenders are not expected to allow forwards ample time to survey the scenery when near goal, and the opportunity to shoot without being rudely bustled off the ball just when a nice chance presents itself. If these conditions were only reversed and if backs would act in a more languid and delicate manner towards them, there is some probability that the Everton forwards would in the course of time begin to take heart and put on goals. It has been often stated that the club this season possessed class players, but this phrase is very ambiguous for the number of the class was never mentioned. Their two most recent exhibitions will, however have amply settled this point in the minds of most followers of the game who will hereafter be able to fully substantiate the truth of the above quotation. No surprise was evinced at their failure to defeat the Rovers; such are the uses of adversity; and it was fortunate for Everton that Dewhurst, who scored an apparently splendid goal in the last minute, was adjudged offside. The only dangerous part of the Everton attack came from Sharp, who was too speedy for Hardy and after one of these bursts along the wing, he finished with a splendid shot, which Whittaker cleared with equal brilliancy. Oldham would have been more useful in the centre instead of being played at inside left and in fact, actually demonstrated this when late on the game, he took up this position. McDonald made a very fair debut, Toman might just as well have been on the Rovers side for the majority of his passes went to one of the visitors and Gee though showing improvement upon the previous week's display was as usual absolutely useless, when near the goal post. The halfbacks division was not one whit in advance of the front rank. One of the greatest failure was Abbott put as a matter of fact there was little to choose between any of the trio. There is no harmony between the two front lines, and until some sort of understandings is arrived at the same bungling and inefficient play is bound to be the result. Further behind, Crelly was feeble, but Balmer stood out conspicuously and fortunately for his side covered the mistakes of his confreres in forcible fashion. Both the custodian accomplished what they were called upon to perform in good style, and in Whittaker the Rovers appear to have obtained a very useful man. Their halves were more persistent than the home backs, Booth rendering splendid service by his untiring and realous efforts. The front rank was smart, but indulged in too much passing, and like the home forwards was of little use when in front of Muir. The best shots of the afternoon came from the halfbacks, but on the outside right Whittaker indulged in several tricky runs, which however, was always rendered abortive at the finish. To the Rovers the point thus gained would be extremely welcome for it meant another step from the second division. As matters now stand Everton are little better off but they have the consolation of knowing that if their fortunes do change it must be towards an improvement for further progress in the opposite direction is an utter impossibility.


April 9 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team, weakened by the absence of Balmer and Settle opposed Derby County on the baseball ground on Saturday. The home side also suffered from absenteeism for Bloomer was taking part in the international contest, and Staley was not included in the rearguard while a trail was given to Stewart of Dundee. Owing to the race meeting the attendance was limited for as the outside there would not be more than 5,000 spectators present. The sides lined up as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Watson backs Wolstenholmes, Boyle and Blythe halfbacks, Sharp, Toman, Proudfoot, Abbott, and Taylor (captain), forwards. Derby County: - Fryer, goal, Mmethven and Goodall backs Warren, Leckie and May halfbacks, Arkesden, Wombwell, Boag, Shanks and Stewart, forwards. The wind favoured the Derby, and during the first few minutes a couple of corners kicks threatened disaster to the Everton goal. Muir got the ball when Leckie with a long shot drove over the line. Sharp then made off, and though pulled up by Goodall, he was again in possession, and parted to Toman, who placed behind. Again the Everton outside right had the better of a bout with the opposing halves, and wending his way across sent in a capital shot, with his left foot, and opened the scoring 15 minutes from the start. Getting to work again, the Derby forwards became aggressive but lost a couple of chances by faulty passing when nearing goal. Shanks on the left and Arkesden on the right put in several fine runs only to find their centres not received and once again the Everton right wing was prominent. Proudfoot supplemented the movement, but unfortunately, shot over, and during the next few minutes the Everton custodian was kept busily employed, Boyle and Watson twice headed out dangerous shots. The home right was now most aggressive and sanding across Stewart gave Muir a difficult shot to dispose of. Following a further breakaway Abbott unfortunately kicked the wrong way, and after Wombwell had lobbed the ball to Stewart, who was palpably offside, put the ball into the net, thus equalizing. Succeeding play up to the interval was evenly distributed, and when ends were changed the scores stood one goal each. Everton went off with a dash upon resuming but it was shortived, and following a free kick, Leckie placed the ball well up to Shanks who tamely kicked towards goal. Watson misjudged its direction, and thus practically gave the County a leading point. A clinking shot from Proudfoot called for Fryer's best efforts to save. Abbott and Sharp also came near scoring, and a few minutes later on Toman shot in, but all attempts lacked string, and Fryer was enabled to save with ease. Eventually Wombwell and Arkesden led on a movement, which ended in Boag shooting into the net, the point however, being disallowed for offside. Towards the finish the Evertonians were well held in check and as nothing further was scored, Derby won somewhat luckily by two goals to one.



April 9 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. Bland started for Blackburn, who scored a soft goal two minutes from the opening. Kitchen left his goal to clear and missed his kick and Morris dashing up netted the ball. After half an hour Sharp equalised with a gained long shot. Halftime Everton 1 goal Blackburn park Road 1. A few minutes after the restart McDonald put Everton in front. Subsequently Oldham and Sharp scored result Everton 4 goals Park road 1. (Game 26)



April 9 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Surely Everton is a most disappointing team. Just when one expects the players to rise to the occasion and make emends for what might practically be considered a couple of successive reverses at home they literally tumble to pieces and allow a very mixed combination to annex the full quota of points. True there was an elements of bad fortune which led to their downfall, but at the same time there never was presented to a team that has donned the Everton colours so many opportunities of piling of goals, and thus place the issue far beyond doubt, than on Saturday last. The general play of the forwards despite the shifting of positions, was all that could be desired up to a certain point, which has now become quite an established weakness in their performances. In front of goal their efforts were miserably poor, and with a very ordinary defence again them the feebleness of their display was greatly accentuated. Everton's only hope was from the right wing, and while drawing a veil over the display of the van generally, passing reference must be made to Sharp, who for resource and general utility stood out prominently above his confreres. There was certainly an improvement in the halfway line upon that which, has recently been witnessed, though that thorough understanding which should exist between the halves and forwards is still not a prominent feature of the game. During the whole of the first and the greater portion of the second half, Wolstenholmes played a capital game, and little exception could be taken to the display of Boyle who fairly nonplussed Boag, and Blythe, and under ordinary circumstances their good work would undoubtedly have been turned to better advantage. The absence of Balmer, who, like Settle is on the sick list was of course a serious disadvantage to the club, and it goes without saying that had the popular local lad been in his accustomed position, a reverse would never have been meted out to the club. At full back Eccles was partnered by Watson, a recruit from Dundee and taking into consideration the strange associations, their play did not suffer much by comparison with that of their opponents. Eccles played a hard untiring game, and for a first appearance in League football. Watson came out fairly well. while his kicking is clean and well directed he is apt to hesitate at a critical moment, and more than once ran the risk of endangering his goal. He should have prevented the second point, which gave the County the lead; still, front what could be gathered, he should with careful nursing turn out a serviceable player to the club. Muir was, as usual, quite equal to everything that came his way, he having no chance whatever of keeping out the two shots that found the net. As mentioned at the outset, the team had not the best of fortunate'sfavours extended them, for the first goal which the County scored was the outcome of a most glaring case of offside, which to a novice of the game would present no difficulty as to deciding upon the matter. Referee Strawson took no notice of a strong appeal by the Everton players, and on pointing to the centre of the field the Derby spectators evidently more surprised than the player could not but give full vent to their astonishment. The second goal was of a fluky character for it simply rolled past Watson into the net; the player being evidently under the impression that it was passing wide of the post. The goal scored by Sharp was a clever effort from a fairly long range; and was about the only decent finish to any movement by either set of players. The County front rank was on a par with that of their opponents. Their passing was poor and final efforts faulty, and only promising work came from the wingmen. They however, excelled in the manner in which they swooped down upon the goal and judging by recent events, one can readily imagine that it would have to be a very moderate line that could not give Everton a lead in this respect. The halves were a hardworking trio, Warren and may being often prominent but the full backs did nothing above the ordinary and it was fortunate that Fryer covered them as ably as he did. It was a poor game, and the weakened team of the County must consider themselves fortunate in encountering their opponents in one of their least effective moods. Success in the holiday fixtures at Goodison Park would do much to resuscitate an interest that been on the wane during the past months.


April 14, 1900. The Courier & Argus

Everton v. Liverpool

This was a friendly fixture at Goodison Park yesterday, 5,000 people attending. On Liverpool side there were two new players, Bond of Ripley, and Ferrier of Montrose. In the first half Robertson scored for Liverpool, and Sharp ad Proudfoot for Everton. There was little seriousness in the game. McDonald scored a third goal for Everton, Final Result; Everton 3, Liverpool, 1.


April 14 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

In marked contrast to previous seasons, the ‘'gate'' at Goodison Park was yesterday of very limited proportion, the boisterous weather, not to mention the unsatisfactory progress of the clubs in League football, no doubt accounting for the very poor support accorded the meeting of this local teams. In the Everton McDonald filled team a further trial was given to Watson, late of Dundee, and Settle's position on the left wing. Liverpool tried two players, Ferrier of Monntrose a centre forward, and Bond of Ripley, as right full back, while Raybould filled the centre half position, and Hunter and Howell, inside right and right half respectively. At two o'clock the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Watson backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Toman, Proudfoot, McDonald, and Taylor (captain) forwards. Liverpool: - Perkins goal, Bond and Dunlop, backs, Howell, Raybound, and Goldie (w), halfbacks Robertson, Hunter, Ferrier, Satterthwaite, and Cox forwards. The choice of ends favoured Everton and having the assistance of a strong breeze were the first to make a determined attack. Sharp ran well down, when Bond put in a clever kick and after some uninteresting end to end plays, Liverpool attacked in a body and Robertson scored the first goal. The friendly character of the contest was evinced by the gently efforts of the players, but after a combined movement on the Everton right wing, Goldie robbed Sharp, and passed to Dunlop to clear. The latter failed to see the move, and Sharp rushing up easily equalised. A somewhat prolonged attack on the Liverpool goal followed, Four Corners failing in rapid succession to the home side, but Perkins saved in fine style, and McDonald hitting the post with a tremendous drive relieved the pressure. A hard drive from Abbott was luckily headed over by Ferrier, and a moment later Proudfoot dallied when a clear opening was presented. The Liverpool forwards rarely made headway, but eventually Cox raced away, and Muir had to run out to clear. Close on the change of ends, Proudfoot scored the second goal, and when the whistle blew Everton led by 2 goals to 1. The game was resumed without delay, and Robertson sprinting gaily along centred, Ferrier failing with a fast low shot to find the net. Perkins saved smartly from Proudfoot and from a nice pass by Hunter, Ferrier with only Muir to beat, was dispossessed before he could get in his shot. Everton by clever footwork on the part of Abbott became aggressive, and Mcdonald rushing in, defeated Perkins with a capital effort. The Liverpool forwards for some few minutes hovered dangerous round Muir's charge, but the back kept their positron intact, and the home custodian was not troubled to any appreciate extent. At length McDonald led the way to the other end, and put in a couple of very fine shots, his second effort justed skimming the bar. The play was now of a more interesting character and the spectators were not lacking in their appreciation. Another forward movement resulted in McDonald from a difficult position shooting into the hands of Perkins, and immediately following Muir was called up, to Robertson, and brought off a particularly clever save. The Liverpool forwards now showed much improved play and plenty of employment was found for the home backs. It was some time that the Everton forwards got into their stride, but tame shots characterised their final efforts, and Perkins had no difficulty in saving. Close on the finish Muir brought off a smart save from a bully in front of his charge. Nothing further was scored, and the game ended Everton 3 goals Liverpool 1.



April 14 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Most interest was centred in the meeting of these teams yesterday afternoon at Anfield, in consequence of the close association of the clubs at the head of the competitive table. Everton with four points ahead of their opponents though two games in hand, were looked upon as strong favourites, and to achieve their object put a strong team in the field. There were about 12,000 spectators on the ground when the teams faced as follows: - Liverpool: - Storer, goal, Stevenson, and McLaren, backs, Birchall, Hunter (j). and Martin halfbacks Soulsbery, Parkinson, Kyle Morgan and Foxall, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Crelly and Molyneux backs, Gordon, Green, and Blythe, halfbacks, Roche Dawson Oldham, Gray, and Gee, forwards. Everton facing the sun, commenced operations, but the first dangerous movements came from the Liverpool forwards, who were somewhat unfortunate in not scoring from a a smart pressure in front of their opponents goal. The strong breeze favoured Liverpool, and for some time play was contested in the Everton half, where the defence of Molyneux and Crelly was put to the test. A splendid run down by Gee relieved the monotony, and on Liverpool racing away again the ball sent across to Foxall, who cleverly prevented the high wind from carrying it out of play and centring accurately Kyle met the ball, and gave Kitchen no chance of saving. With but a few exceptions play was strictly confined to the Everton quarters, and a couple of clever shots were sent in by Morgan, and Martin that from the latter bounding over the net from the top of the crossbar. A mistake by McLaren looked like resulting in an equalising point, but a fruitless corner kick, was the outcome, though for a few minutes the Liverpool goal looked like being captured. Gee forced a corner off Stevenson but placed it badly, and at the other end Kyle was only a trifle wide with a clever shot. Even play followed, and eventually the Liverpoolians again got away and from a corner kick Morgan put in a second goal with a fast low shot. Half time arrived with the score- Liverpool 2 goals Everton none, With the wind in their favour Everton put on pressure after the interval and a clinking shot, from Oldham caused Storer to handle. The Liverpool right then got down. Martin sent in a brilliant low shot from long range, which narrowly missed the mark. Attacking again a penalty kick was given against Everton, and Foxall failed to find the net. Liverpool just not were having quite as much of the play as their opponents despite the heavy wind against them. From a cross shot by Roche, gee only just missed converting, and following a few minutes pressure the ball was quickly at the Everton end. Twice Kitchen had to gist out from the right wing, and when Gee looked like putting on a point, he was pulled up for offside. Stevenson and McLaren defended well, and repeatedly saved rushes on Storer's charge. Result Liverpool 2 goals Everton nil.


May 15, 1900. Lancashire Evening Post

The famous Everton-cum-Burnley left winger, who was invited to Prague, in Germany, to coach the local football team at the conclusion of the recent tour of the English team, has just written to his brother in Blackburn an interesting letter, which he jocosely signs “Herr Edger Chadwick.” He says;-

“I left Blackburn by the 12.15 p.m. train Midland, via Manchester, and arrived at Harwich 9.35 p.m., in time for the 10 o'clock boat. I landed at Hook of Holland at 5 a.m., caught the express, and after a railway journey of 26 hours arrived at Prague at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning. I was met at the station by Herr Friedl, manager of the Austrian Bank. I commenced duties by refereeing in a match on Sunday and commenced my coaching duties on Monday. I have charge of 50 players, and have to train them at 7 o'clock in the morning for 1 ½ hours, and then leave off until 7 at night. You see the players are all engaged during the day. It is well that they do not train during the day time, as it is very hot. I shall want a new hat when I come home, because when the players turn up to train they raise their hats to me, and of course I have to do the same, besides shaking hands with all of them. I am a little bit mixed up with the language, but the players readily understand what I require them to do. They are a jolly lot of fellows, and excellent sportsmen. I am the boss of the team, and select the team myself. They will soon pick up the points of football here. Our team have only six matches to play and one especially (Berlin) they wish to win. I shall endeavored to succeed in winning that match for them. They must think a lot about a professional footballer, as I have been invited to all the houses of the gentlemen belonging to the club here to take dinner with them at night. I think we made a magnificent impression when the English team came here last November.”

EVERTON 2 BURY 0 (Game 337)

April 16 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The Bury team who have had a very busy though not successful time at late, were the visitors to Goodison Park, on Saturday, and though the weather was all that could be desired for the pursuit of outdoor sport, it was disappointing to find but a gathering of 10,000 spectators to welcome the cup finalist. Everton were without Settle, who is suffering from affection of the throat; and on the Bury side, berry Brimblecombe, Nicol, and Lamberton were drafted into the team. The news of the somewhat sudden decease of Mr.Brooks, one of the oldest directors of the club, cast quite a gloom over the proceedings, the occasion being marked by the flying of the flag at half-mast and wearing of crape armlets by the players. The teams faced as Follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Balmer backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp, Toman, Proudfoot, McDonald and Taylor (captain), forwards. Bury: - Montgomery, goal, Lamberton, and Davidson, backs, Nicol, Leeming, and Ross halfbacks, Richards, Brimbecombe, McLuckie, Berry, and Plant forwards, Referee John Lewis. Bury commenced operations but Everton having the advantage of the elements was quickly attacking, and Montgomery was twice called upon in quick succession by McDonald. Play was mostly confined to the visitors half, where faulty shooting was not an infrequent feature of the Everton attack; but ultimately a pass from Boyle to Abbott brought about the desired success, as the latter, with a splendid shot from long range, drove into the net quite out of Montgomery's reach. This point came after play had been in progress eleven minutes, and was signalised by a further attack on the Bury goal. The home halves were conspicuous in finding openings for their forwards, who, however, was not smart enough to turn them to good advantage. Following one of several movements to the Bury end, Toman put the ball to Proudfoot, who with a hard drive, added a second gaol. Meanwhile the Bury forwards had been very inactive and were seldom seen over the half way line. A fine sprint and shot from Plant put more life into the play, and for some minutes the game was contested in exciting fashion, Eccles on two occasions keeping out Berry, and Plant when danger threatened Muir's charge. A few minutes later McDonald with a tremendous drive, struck the upright and with but few exceptions the Everton forwards up to the change of ends monopolised the bulk of the play. On resuming, the Everton van were again hovering round Montgomery's charge, which had a lucky escape from McDonald, who headed in from a corner. Lamberton prevented downfall with a smart tackle in front of goal, though for a lengthy period there appeared but little hope for a lengthy period there appeared but little hope of the Buryites preventing further disaster. The movements of their forwards when in possession were not at all promising, and the Everton halves had little difficulty in dispossessing them of the ball and initiating attack upon their charge. Muir was practically a spectator of the proceedings until well on in the second half, when called upon to save capital shot, from Berry. A sprint by Sharp, followed by a capital centre was missed by three of his confreres and following another effort by Berry, Proudfoot was only a trifle wide. No further scoring took place, and Everton won by two goals to nil.



April 16 1900. The Liverpool mercury

At Bury, before 300 spectators. Bury faced a strong wind, and brilliant sun, but forced the pace, and Reddish scored after thirteen minutes play. Atherwards play ruled very even, but Bury attacks were most dangerous, Kitchen twice saving miraculously. Interval Bury 1 goal Everton nil. Operations had barely been resumed when Chadwick equalised. Holland again give Bury the lead. Everton equalising from a scrimmage, Gee scored again for Everton who won by 3 goals to 2.



April 16 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

After waiting petently for five weeks the supporters of the Everton Club have at last received their reward, in the shape of another league victory. At a critical stage of their career, Everton like their neighbours across the park, have been visited by the prospective cup-holders. There has been a strong flavouring of Bury in local football during the past week, and matters have turned out as neatly as could have been anticipated. The visitors from East Lancashire have not been too pressing in their attentions, they have taken the esate of affairs with philosophical serenity, and have kindly obliged both their conquerors with a couple of goals, and what is of more worth, the same number of points. Their liberality has been generous, but no favouritism has been shown, and for this amongst sundry other reasons, the hope is expressed that they may secure the object of their ambition, and crown their plucky efforts in the preliminary rounds of the cup-ties by carrying off the insignificant bit of silver, the English Cup. The game at Goodison Park deserves but little comment, though the fact that Everton were again victorious does, in truth warrant some attention. Successes have of late been like angel's visits, low and far between, and the addition of two points at one fell swoop should not therefore be lightly passed by. By the aid of two clinking shits from Abbott and proudfoot respectively were the points obtained, and Montgomery had no chance with either. The play was fairly interesting and the bright flashes of Sharp along the touch line varied the otherwise monotonous character of the contest, but it must be disheartening to the speedy right winger to find his centres invariably mulled. There were many examples of this nature in Saturday's match; there have been, as a matter of fact, in almost every game these season similar weaknesses shown, but one instance will serve, as a specimen of what is the usual happening. The second half had considerable progressed, when sharp got the better of Ross, and also after skillful footwork, beat Davidson. Racing in to within half a dozen yards of the upright post, he tripped the ball across the goalmouth to the toss of Proudfoot, who missed, as did McDonald and Taylor in succession, and not one of these players was more than five yards away from Montgomery. A touch was all that was required, but this was not forthcoming. When two goals had been added inside twenty minutes there was a general anticipation that the goal average was about to receive an impetus. This, however appears to be a matter of inability. The Everton forwards have not this season scored more than three goals in any sorted of match. Thrice have they reached this number; on six occasions, two goals has been their limit. One goal has been obtained fourteen times, whilst seven matches have produced not a goal this in league matches alone. The probability is that this will go on until the end of the chapter. McDonald shaped better than in the previous games, he has plenty of go in him, still some skill; but he does not take the ball with precision, and a worrying halfback would at present upset his play altogether. There is however sufficient reason for anticipating improvement, which experience will probably develop. The halves were seen to greater advantage than in recent games, the backs were sound, and Muir equal to all demands upon him. Bury did not over exert themselves in view of their more important struggle on Saturday next, and took no risk whatever. They did not appear over anxious to score, and there were only two shots that gave Muir any trouble, these being cleverly saved. The forwards were lackadaisical. McLuckie being oftener among the halfbacks, than in his proper positions; but the outside wingmen were prominent at times, and berry seems a very useful inside left. The halves and backs succeeded in keeping the score down to its finally lowly dimension and one of the pleasantest features of the match was the absence of fouls or disaffection of any sort. To-day Everton tackle the wooden sponists, and after this game doubtless many will journey to Anfield ground, when Queen's Park, who were beaten in the Scottish Cup final by the Celtic on Saturday will appear.


EVERTON 4 GLOSSOP 1 (Game 338)

April 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The return engagement between these clubs was played yesterday afternoon, there being about 6,000 spectators present. The visitors were delayed en route, and it was quite half an hour after the advertised time for kicking off that the teams took the field. Everton were represented as on Saturday. Settle being still on the sick list, and on the Glossop side there were several alterations as will be seen from the following list of players. Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles and Balmer backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Toman, Proudfoot, McDonald, and Taylor (captain), forwards. Glossop: - Birchenhough, and McEwan backs, Morris, Lupton, and Colville, halfbacks, Goddard, Rothwell, Scarratt, Lumsden, and Evans, forwards.

The visitors opened the play, but the Everton forwards immediately fastened on the ball, and McDonald shot in within the first minutes, Birchenhough saving at the expense of a fruitless corner. Boyle followed with a shot that was a trifle faulty, and after a further attack, the visitors were seen well up in the Everton half. Efforts to score, however, were of a very elementary character, though on one occasion the home goal narrowly missed capture by a piece of very fine play in which the whole of the Glossop forwards took part. Muir saved at full length, and immediately afterwards play was in the vicinity of the visitors goal, when a smart pass from McDonald enabled Proudfoot to score, play having been in progress for ten minutes. With but few exceptions play was confined to the Glossop half, and when relief did come in generally from the right wing pair, of whom Goddard was particularly prominent. Several very fine centres from this player might easily have been turned to good account. Lumsden on one occasion being but slightly wide in heading towards the net. The Everton forwards again were in evidence, and Sharp, after a smart run down skimmed the bar, Taylor a moment later heading over the line, a fine shot from the outside right which otherwise would have found its billet. The Glossop backs stuck gamely to their work, though as a rule they were not over pressed the final efforts of the Everton forwards being of a very tame character. Once, however Birchenhough was lucky in saving after completely missing the ball and effecting a clever followed this saved at the second attempt from Toman. Play was for a considerable period confined to the Glossop half, and it was fortunate for the ‘'wooden spoonists'' that the efforts of the Evertonians were greatly lacking in finish. Eventually Sharp found the net without much difficulty, and closely following Glossop forced their first corner, which however came to nothing. Subsequently McDonald netted the ball, but was adjudged offside, and the ball had no sooner been in play than the same player shot ridiculously high over the bar when close in. Taylor was in the way of a shot that looked like bearing a tangible result, and there could be no doubt that the lack of judgement during the past few minutes despoiled the Evertonians of putting on goals thick and fast. No further scoring was forthcoming up to half time when Everton led by 2 goals to nil. On resuming Glossop put on pressure, but again Balmer and Eccles they could exact no quarter, and most of their efforts to score were the result of long shooting, which invariably went wide of the mark. The Everton forwards seemed to take but little cognisance of the value of goal average, and their efforts at times when scoring was imminent were lamentably weak. Breaking away, no purpose and at the other end both McDonad and Taylor were at fault when there was practically no opposition. The latter how ever, made amends directly afterwards as by closely following up he converted a centre by Toman, thus putting on a third goal. From the centre kick the Glossop forwards became dangerous, and Scarrat and Rothwell, with clever shots, were only a trifle wide of the mark. From a corner kick McDonald put behind after Birchenhough had saved; and following a smart run down by Evans; Lumsden centred to Rothwell who had no difficulty in defeating Muir. A minute later McDonald put through, from a free kick. A brilliant run down by Sharp was the next item, and it was unfortunate that Taylor headed the ball when in an offside position, as it was sailing under the bar quite out of the reach of the custodian. Everton were now having much the better of the game, and on two occasions the Glossop goal had narrow escapes. Towards the finsh Glossop made a big effort to reduce the lead of their opponents. Goddard especially putting in fine work, which however was not supported. No further scoring took place, the result being: - Everton 4 goals, Glossop 1.



April 17 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met on Wrexham Racecourse yesterday, in friendly rivalry. A strong wind considerable interfered with accurate football. In the first half Wrexham held the upper hand, and scored once while in the remaining portion the game was more even but no scoring took place and Wrexham won by one goal to nil.


April 17, 1900. The Glasgow Herald.

In fine though rather boisterous weather this return league match was played at Goodison Park before 7,000 people. Glossop had a rearranged team, and arrived late. Everton passed, and scored through Proudfoot in 12 minutes. Goddard put in some fine centres, which were not utilised, and the game was in Everton favour, Sharp scoring a second goal. Interval Everton 2 goals, Glossop nil. Glossop showed up better in the second half, and after Lupton from long range had shot wide, Muir was twice severely tested. Everton pressed, but their shooting was poor, several chances being thrown away. Taylor, however obtained a third goal, and then Rothwell scored for Glossop from Lumsden's centre, and McDonlad added a fourth for Everton, who outplayed their opponents and won by four goals to one.


April 18, 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The remains of Mr. J.C. Brooks, of H.M. Customs, who died at his residence, Wye-Street, Everton, were interred at Anfield Park Cemetery. Mr. Brooks took an interest in the Everton Football Club, of which he was a director. He was also a prominent Freemason. The chief mourners were Mr. Charles Brooks and Mr. Harry Brooks (brothers), Mr. W. Hoare (nephew), Mrs Jas, Dunning, Mr. Wm Dunning and Mr. Thos Jarrett (brother-in-law), Mr. Thomas Green (stepson), Mr. E.F. Stepheson (son-in-law), Master C.B. Stepheson (stepson), Messrs J. Hardman, A. Hodge, J. Woodward, J. Stoddart, W.C. Elliott, Mrs. Kidd, Mrs H. Brooks, Mrs. W. Hoarse, Mrs Jarrett, Mrs Stepheson, and Mrs A.R. Neill. Amongst those who assembled at the graveside were Dr. Baxter, Mr. T. Keates and Mr. E.A. Bainbridge, Everton Football Club. More names list in main paper.



April 29 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The last of Everton's away from home engagements this season was brought off at Nottingham, in weather more suggestive of cricket than football. Owing to the County ground being required for Cricket the game was played at the Forest's headquarters, and at 3-15, when the teams put in an appearance there would be about 6,000 spectators present. The sides were as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles and Watson, backs Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Abbott halfbacks Sharp, Toman Proudffot, McDonald and Taylor (captain), forwards. Notts County: - Suter, goal, Lewis, and Montgomery, backs Ball, Bull, and McDonald halfbacks, Flectcher, Maconnachie, McMain, Warmer and Chalmers forwards . It will be seen that Balmer was not in the team. He being on the sick list, and that Watson was given another trial. Losing the toss, Everton had to face a glaring sun, but still they opened well, and it was not until Boyle had unfairly pulled up MaMain that real danger threatened the Everton goal. The infringement cost the visitors dearly, for Chalmer put in a capital centre, and Macconnachie headed into the net quite out of Muir's reach. This success came three minutes after the start, and on the ball being brought into play the Everton half was again the scene of operations. Another centre from Chalmers was met by McMain who sent in a lovely shot at high speed, and thus at the expiration of five minutes the County had a lead of two clear goals. After this second reverse the Everton forwards pulled themselves together, but could not get within shooting range, and a further raid by the home van ended in Watson luckily charging down a swift shot from Macconnachie. A capital long shot from Wolstenholmes was the nest item, and following the clearance the Everton forwards were seen too much better advantage. One of several movements to the County goal ended in McDonald reducing the lead after a quarter of an hour's play, and five minutes later a swift cross shot from Taylor glared of Bull into the not the sides being again upon even terms. Notts put on pressure to regain the lead, and Muir among others brought off one clever save from McMain. At the other end Everton forced a corner, from which Toman nearly scored, and from a similar concession Wolstenholmes shot high over the bar. Everton were now having more of the play, and looked like increasing their lead, but at the interval the scores were unchanged. The second portion opened with an attack upon the home goal Sharp and Toman being now conspicuous, but both Lewis and Montgomery were safe, and Suter was not placed in difficulties. Play gradually found its way to midfield, and it was some time before there was much interest evinced in the proceedings. MaConnachie retired for some minutes owing to a slight injury, and during his absence Chalmers failed to notifies an opening that came his way. Play generally was of a desultory character, neither side appearing to unduly ever themselves, the players being evidently laboring up for the excessive finish, and when the end came the result was Everton 2 goals, Notts County 2.



April 23 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Liverpool Senior Cup Final

Owing to the League fixture, both teams played reserves in the match at Goodison Park. The play at the outset favoured Everton, and on one occasion Chadwick almost scored. New Brighton Tower than did the bulk of the attacking, after which the play fluctuated. On changing ends Everton had the best of matters, but Gray failed to make use of a good opportunity. New Brighton were in a favorable position, but Molyneux cleared. Neither side, however scored nor a rather tame game resulted in a pointless draw, Everton 0, New Brighton Towers 0. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Crelly, and Molyneux, backs, Gordon Green, and Blythe, halfbacks Roche Dawson, Gray, Chadwick (a), and Gee forwards.



April 23 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton club is completing its season's course in a more satisfactory fashion then was a little tome back anticipated, and a drawn game at Nottingham under the exceptional conditions that prevailed was quite as much as one could hope for. The County club required a point to place them safely over the hurdle, and judging from the manner in which they opened the proceedings it looked long odds on them annexing the full quota. The play in the early portion of the contest was of a most sensational character, for after a couple of minutes had elapsed, Macconnachie headed a capital goal, which was followed directly afterwards by a magnificent shot from McMain, and resulted in the visitors being two in arrears in the first six minutes. Everton's prospects were thus early discounted but so gradually and surely did the game had been in progress 20 minutes, the teams were once again contesting on even terms. During this period most of the play was continued to the inside men, and it was only on very odd occasions, that the ball found its way to a wing player. Notwithstanding the depressing effect of the heat, the teams stuck gallantly to their work, and although there were evidence of fatigue noticeable in the second portion, the interest in the game never lagged. In the closing stages the Everton forwards were much fresher, and but for the plucky efforts of the home backs, further scoring could not have been prevented. There was an improvement in the play of the Everton forwards from that seen in recent games, but still the work was not as well distributed as one would like. The wingmen were generally neglected, and there was an absence of those speedy rushes and centres by the outside right that have been noticeable features in recent games. The left wing was the more effective, and the improvement shown by McDonald points to his turning out a very useful servant to the club. The halves were good, and at full back Eccles put in very useful work, which had more than a little to do with the partial success of his sides. Watson showed improved form, his tackling being more precise than on the last occasion that he was included in the team, and was generally clean and effective. Two goals registered against a custodian in the early minutes of a game might lead one to jump to the conclusion that there was weakness displayed, but such was not the case with regard to Muir, and one might go so far as to etate that no custodian in the kingdom could have saved the goals scored by Macconnachie and McMain. They were brilliant efforts especially that by the latter and against them the Everton goals, though a bit above the average was very ordinary. As on the Everton side, most of the Notts attack came from the three inside men; indeed it was not until late on in the game that Fletcher, the outside right had an opportunity of putting his foot to the ball. Chalmers and Warner made a capital left wing, and it was mainly due to the fine work of the former that the County so early estamhising their lead. McMain put in much useful work though it was only occasionally that he escaped the vigilance of Boyle, whose attentions to him were marked throughout. The halfbacks were a serviceable trio and no exception could be taken to the work of the backs. Lewis and Montgomery-who especially in the later stages were kept well employed. Suter kept his charge, well and like his vis-à-vis, he had no chance of saving the two shots that took effect. Taking the prevailing spiritedly contested. There were plenty of exciting incidents, and that the game ended with a division of honours was perhaps the most befitting outcome of the engagement.



April 28 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Liverpool Senior Cup final Replay

A fairly good muster of spectators assembled at the Towers ground last night to witness the replayed Liverpool Club final between the above clubs. With a few exceptions both clubs were represented by their reserves teams, the men turning out as follows : - New Brighton Towers: - Bradshaw, goal, French and Steplehn, backs, MCCartney, Ellison, and Hughes (j), halfbacks, Ford, Greenm Hammed Roberts, and Hour, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen, goals, Watson, and Molyneux, backs, Blthe, Taylor, and Gordon halfbacks Roach, Dawson, Settle Gray, and Gee forwards. The visitors started operations, and the game, at once opened out of an interesting character the ball travelling from end to end with great rapidity. The bulk of the attack came from the home forwards, especially the right wing pair, but Watson and Molyneux defended so finely that Kitchen was not seriously troubled. The visitor forwards broke away in a pretty combined run, but Settle was cleverly robbed by French, who he was becoming dangerous. Following a spell of even play, the Evertonians executed strong pressure, but it only served to bring out the good points in the opposing defence. Ford ran well, and wound up with an accurate centre, but Hammond getting his head to the ball, it was easily cleared by Kitchen, whilst shortly afterwards the latter had also to fist out, from Green. Gee than swing the leather neatly across, however maintained the pressure and obtained a rather soft goal through the instrumentality of Dawson, who headed into the net, when Bradshaw was out of position. Half tine Everton 1 goal Towers nil. On resuming Kitchen was soon called upon but he cleared his lines in excelled style. The visiting right wing pair then got clean through but Bradshaw coolly waited and took the ball from their toes whilst in rapid following the home custodian also safely negotiated a fast ground shot from the foot of Settle. The Towerites now took a slight lead, but they were rarely permitted to get within shooting distance of Kitchen's charge. Once Ellison drove grandily from halfback but the Everton custodian cleared cleverly from under the bar, Roberts then gave Hammond a glorious chance, within a few yards of goal, but that player sent the leather the wrong side of the upright. Dawson completely beat the home backs, but Bradshaw ran out, and tipped his shot over the bar. The Everton left wing outpaced all oppositing and the inside man scored with a lovely oblique shot that gave Bradshaw no chance whatever. No further scoring was done and an interesting game ends Everton 2 goals, New Brighton Towers nil.



April 30 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The season closed at Goodison Park on Saturday with the meeting of the above teams before some 10,000 spectators. Turner, the new recruit was included in the Everton team as outside left, and owing to any injury to Eccles, Watson again figured in the team, while the City played Cassidy (Late of Newton Heath). The teams at 3-30 faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goals, Balmer, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle (captain), and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp, Toman, Proudfoot, McDonald, and Turner (j), forwards. Manchester City: - Williams (c) goal, Read, and Jones, backs, Moffatt, Smith, and Holmes halfbacks, Merediths, Ross, Gillespie, Cassidy, and Williams (f), forwards. Everton with the assistance of the breeze, could make little headway during the opening stages when Meredith twice look like getting through. Eventually Toman got away and finished up with a clever shot, which Williams fisted clear, only to find Turner quickly on the ball, which was placed safely into the net. This success came after play had been five minutes in progress, and for some little time the Everton leftwing pair were busy in the City quarters. A smart pass to Proudfoot was promising when read tripped up the Everton centre, and a free kick came to nothing, it was some time the visitors got into a good Strudle and then most of their incursions were by Ross and Meredith the former on one occasion spoiling a clever movement by laying offside. Keeping up the pressure, the veteran had an excellent opening from Cassidy, but shot high over the bar, and when again getting into position, the attention of Abbott were too close a character. Returning Turner put on a strong run, and looked like scoring a second success, when Jones fouled him, and the free kick led up to a spirited attack without result. After keeping out a couple of warm shots, Boyle put in a clever effort, and the ball going to Proufoot, the latter scoring easily after this second reverse, the City forwards were seen to much better advantage but play slackened down considerably to the interval when the score stood –Everton 2 goals Manchester City nil. Immediately on resuming Turner and McDonald were conspicuous with good play, which led to Williams conceding a corner kick. This was safely cleared though directly afterwards Turner after a smart run added a third goal. This was soon afterwards followed by another from Toman, who scored was a swift high shot, and it was now apparent that the Mancunians were clearly outplayed. Late on the City left wing put in good work, but was slow when finishing touches were required and Balmer had no difficulty in keeping his line intact. A smart shot from Toman struck the bar, and just on the close the City goal had a narrow escape. Result Everton 4 goals, Manchester City nil.


April 30 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Molneux Ground Wolverhampton, before 2,000 spectators. The visiors had a strong team but Wanderers committee gave three local juniors a trail. In the first half the visitors were completely outplayed at all points, and only once got dangerous. Kitchen had a lot of work given him, and the Wanderers scored after 20 minutes through Bryan, and a little later Kitchen fail as he was trying to reach a ball, and Bewar put it into the net. At half time Wanderers led by 2 goals to nil. Play in the second half was for a time of a more even character, and then the Wanderers swarmed round the Everton goal. The local goalkeeper had nothing in the attack of Everton being very weak. The Wanderers were continually attacked, but Oldham scored for Everton, who lost by two goals to one.



April 30 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton completed their League fixtures in brilliant fashion, and by inflicting a four clear goals defeat on Manchester City have had the satisfactory of annexing the full quota of points from their opponents, both home and away Everton players entered into the contest with a vigour and determination which early on gave evidence that there could be only one possible result and that a decisive victory. So completely won they the masters of the situation, that with the exception of a short period in the initial stages of the first half the visitors could make little or no headway whatever and the only dangerous part of the City force was on the right wing. Very rarely this season has the Everton team been seen to such advantage and why this should have been the case is a difficult matter to determine. With one exception and that certainly a capable one namely, the introduction of ex-Stoke player, on the extreme left, the team was practically the same that has done duty for the past two months, put on the form displayed during this period the exhibition given against Manchester might have emanated from an actively different set of players. To one a comes a naturally the question. ‘‘why'' should there not have been more of this style of play throughout the season ? and, after witnessing their complete mastery over their most recent visitors the sprinting becomes more aggressive than ever. But the only matter in which the Everton team has been consistent during the winter, has to make use of a pairdazional statement, been its inconsistency. That the team possesses ability of a high order, was forcibly brought to notice in the last match of the season, but so woefully erratic have been their displays, that their present position in the table was scarcely be wondered at. However the made amule amends in their final game, and stoped somewhat for the many previous shortcomings, which have caused such astonishment, and regret amongst their supporters. It was not in any individual that improvement was particularly noticeable but the great success was due to the excellent understanding that appeared to pervade every part of the team. The incursion of Turner had much to do with the effectencey of the front rank, and it was most appropriate for the clever lad from the Potteries that he should signalise his first appearance in his new colour by scoring the first goal of the match. The Everton halves, who have surely been seen to such advantage in any match, undoubtedly laid the foundation for the victory. Abbott had a warm pale to tackle in Ross, and Meredith, but though often outemnceured, he struck manfully to his men, and never threw up the sponge. For all round efficiently, however Boyle must be awarded chief praise. Without the sembance of anything approaching illegal methods, he circumrensed the Manchester inside forwards, completely smothering Gillespie, and thereby altering all the preconceived attacks of the visitors front rank. He was always on the ball, forcing the game in fine style, and his performance must effectually silence detractors- or indeed such there be- for some considerable time. The effect of his play on the visitors can not be over estimated, and being ably assisted by Wolstenholmes who, in his customary cool, collected manner, accompelled a vast amount of useful work the City forwards could rarely get going. It was a pleasure to witness the smart work exhibited by the Everton front rank. The left wing was the more prominent for McDonald acted as a sort of universal provider for Turner, and the pair tumbled into each other's methods as if they had been partners throughout the season. The Jarrow youth bids fair to become out of the smartest forward Everton have and for some time. He is a hard worker and plays with his head, and if Turner should provide a particularly effective wing. He does not believe in waiting for the ball to cross to him, and does not consider it come across until he does obtain possession which when combined with kicks much experience should produce for Everton a first class forward. Toman also shaped very well, and the goal he score was a splendid effort by the finest shot of the match and possibly if his previous failure have been due to a persistent spell of bad luck. Sharp indulged in fine sprints and pretty centres, and Proudfoot plodded along with his usual persistency. The new back Watson, who partnered Balmer on the left wing, began in very dismal fashion, and Meredith trotted round him with consummately ease in the early stages, but afterwards he settled down and gave a fairly satisfactory display. Balmer was in rare form, and could easily lay claim in being the best back on the field. Whilst Muir who was rarely severely tested, came through the ordeal unscathed. Manchester gave a very disappointing display, being slow on the ball, and often outstripped in speed by the opponents. The famous right wing began in sprinted fashion, but failed to keep the pace, and in the second half for some unaccountable reason, was fairly starved. Meredith was the pick of the forwards, his fine turn of speed and accurate centres provoking universal admiration, but the inside men invariably made a muddle of his crosses. The veteran Ross was not so comspcuios as had been anticipated, and the whole line suffered severely from the persistent attentions of the Everton halfbacks. The half backs were but represented by Smith in the centre, but the backs were only moderate, and Jones does not like wising, improving with age. The result was a pleasant termination to the reason and the curtain could not have been rung down at Goodison Park under more cheerful conditions.



May 10 1900. The Liverpool daily Post

The Everton club, yesterday secured the transfer of Tom Booth, the captain of Blackburn Rovers at the price of £300.


Blackburn Standard -Saturday 12 May 1900

Followers of the fortunes of the Blackburn Rovers will be sorry to hear that Tom Booth, the brilliant half-back of the team, will not be seen in the eleven next season. On Wednesday he was transferred to Everton, and though the price has not been allowed to leak out, it is sure to have been a heavy one. Booth has been with tbe Rovers about four seasons, and his departure will be keenly felt. Everton are to be congratulated on their success, for it was understood Tom was desirous of throwing in his lot with Manchester City.


The Accounts for !899-00.

Season Loss £025. 19s 1d

May 12 1900. The Daily Post

The following is the income and expenditure account for the year ending April 30 1900. DEBTOR, to gate receipts £6617 1s 0d, Proceeds of Matches played away, £339 3s 6d,total, £7157 4s 11d, season tickets, £367 4s 8d,, profits of special excursion tickets, Advertistising, contractors for Programmes, Boarding and refreshments. £108 1s, 0d, Transfer fees, £3 10s, 0d, Players insurances recovered from injuries £49 10s, 0d, Balance to profit accounts £926 10s 1d, CREDITOR, By players wages and bonuses £5438 10s 0d, Amount paid visiting clubs £165 15s, 7d, Travelling expenses £707 16s 9d, Advertains billposting, printing, and Stationery, £324 6s, 3d, Gate expenses and checkers £311 11s 1d, Training expenses and Trainors wages £284 14s 3d, Ground expenses and groundmen wages, £208 7s 9d, Rates, Taxes, gas, water, telephone, and Insurances £222 14s 7d, Income tax £16 13s 6d, Total £838 7s 11d, interest on Mortgage £208 10s, 0d, Less property tax, £8 15s 0d, Total £863 15s 0d, Offices expenses Secretary's salary postage etc, £24 8s 5d, Clothing materials and stores £69 15s 0d, Medical fees, and Players insurances £151 15s 9d, League etc, subscription and donations £87 19s 7d, Entertaining Visiting clubs etc, £84 18s 3d, Sundry expenses £42 4s 9d, Law costs and accountant's changes £48 10s 9d, total £8809 11s 6d, PROFIT AND LOSS for year ending April 30 1900. DEBTOR, to divided declared at 5 per cent , free of income tax £97 7s 4d, To ambuses now written off Viz- Deprecatice off grounds, Stands, ect £554 0s 10d, Depeciation of efforts fixtures, implement etc, £5 0s, 0d, total £559 0s 10d, Amount of expenditurre in excess of income for year ending this date, as prr income and expenditure account £985 19s 1 d, Balance carried forward £5300 8s 0d, Total £6970 12s 8d, CREDITOR, By surplus at the date, as per certifield accounts, £6470 13s 6d, Total £6970 13s 4d, For the season 1898-99 the figures stood as follows. Income £10,563 16s 6d, Expenditure £8,551 2s, 9d, The retiring directors, Messrs,, Keats, and Clayton, took re-election. Mr. John Prescot, a former director of the club, will offer himself as a canidate.


May 29, 1900. The Sheffield Independent

Everton reported Sunderland for having signed on R.T. Livingstone a player on the Everton retained list, but the question was put back, for the production of further evident by the complaining club. The next meeting of the committee will be held in Manchester on June 30.





Burnley Express-Saturday 30 June 1900

Burnley having refused reduce the transfer fee of Edgar Chadwick from £75, Chadwick has appealed to the League. is stated that Chadwick and Blackburn Rovers have come to terms with regard to next season, but that the club refuse to pay above £40 to Burnley, that being the amount Burnley paid for him to Everton. The latter, it will be remembered, asked £200, but Chadwick successfully appealed to the League, and had the fee reduced to £40.