March 1900


March 2 1900. The Dundee Courier and Argus.

Everton will be presented by Muir; Balmer Molyneux; Boyle, Blyth, Abbott; Sharp, Toman, Prodfoot, Settle, Gray. Dundee; Stewart; Baird, Sharp; Johnstone Longair Keillor; Low Steven, MacDonald, McDermott, McDiarmid.


March 2, 1900 The Courier & Argus

Dundee have a special tit-bit at Dens Park, and there will doubtless be a splendid gathering to witness the opposition offered by Everton. The English League team arrive at the West Station at 8.40 tonight, and will thus rest overnight in Dundee. Everton will be represented by Muir; Balmer and Molyneux; Boyle, Blyth, and Abbott; Sharp, Toman, Proudfoot, Settle, and Gray. Dundee play the same team as met Queen's Park last week, viz.; -Stewart; Baird and Sharp; Johnstone, Longair, and Keillor; Low, Steven, MacDonald, McDermott, and McDiarmid.

MARCH 1900


March 5 1900. The Liverpool Courier

Everton, perhaps the most famous visiting team to Scotland appeared on Saturday at Denspark, Dundee. The weather was beautifully fine, and there would be 8,000 spectators present when McDonald set the game going for the local team, the following being the teams: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Molyneux backs Boyle Green, and Abbott halfbacks Sharp, Toman, Proudfoot, Settle, and Gee, forwards. Dundee: - Srewart, goal, Baird, and Sharp backs Johnston, Longmuir and Keiller, halfbacks, Low, Steven, McDonald McDermott (t), and McDiarmid, forwards. The ground was soft on the surface, but in the opening the Dundonians exhibited clever combination and tried Muir severely. They kept up a hot pressure, and it was not until Gee and Settle got away in a clever combined dribble that the pressure was relieved. The tricky play of the Liverpool forwards was much admired, but just as the crowning point looked likely Proudfoot shot hugh over the bar. Low and Steven from the kick out got well down the field, but the referee pulled up McDonald when the ball was sent into the goalmouth on the plea of offside. Play was very fast for a friendly, the local lads answering the calls of their supporters to back up. Dundee were now having much of the best of the play, and Muir repelled several very tight messages. A foul close in gave Everton a chance, but after lobbing from head to head the ball dropped over on the wrong side so far as the Englishmen were concerned. Roused by the narrow escapes Dundee led by Low and Steven made for the other end, but the attack was lost by teckless shooting on the part of McDonald. A foul close in to Dundee enhanced their prospects, but it also was fruitless, Balmer with a lengthy punt clearing. Nearing the interval the Dundonians returned to the aggressive. All that prevailed they efforts was a fruitless corner and half time arrived with neither side having scored half time Everton nil, Dundee nil. Final Result Everton 2 Dundee nil.


March 5 1900. The Dundee Courier and Argus.

After such brilliant work in the West, it was generally anticipated that the friendly game at Den Park between Everton and Dundee would prove one of the attractions of the afternoon. To Dundee people, however, the anticipation was never realised, as after the first thirty minutes the home team simply lay down, and from thence to the end Everton were fairly masters of the situation. As a team the visitors gave a good exhibition of football. The two backs tackling an punted grandly, while Boyle at half appears to be as lively as ever, and held the opposing left well in check. It was forward, however that Everton most took the eye, Sharp at outside right and Settle at inside left carrying off the palm. The former has a good turn of speed, and once on the move was always dangerous, while Settle although not so prominent, was always anxious and seldom threw away a chance. Muir gave a good exhibition of goalkeeping but in one occasion at least he should have been beaten. As to the home team it must be said they opened in great style, and the opening stages fairly brought off the merits of Low and Steven. Low never did better, and his passing, and shooting left little to be desired, while his usual timidity was marked by its absence. This welcome change will, we hope, be kept up one good wing, however, cannot do all the work, and as the other three failed he rise to their occasion, it is small wonder that the right wing was too closely watched to be effective in the second portion.



March 5 1900. The Liverpool Courier

The first match of the season between these clubs was played at Goodison Park on Saturday. McDonald kicked off, the visitors having only nine men. Brown pulled up Chadwick when the Everton men were making a promising move, and Sharp similarly dealt with an attack by the visitor's front rank. Even play followed, and then after ten minutes play the visitors had their full strength. The visitor's attempts to get away were negative by the clever work of the Everton halfbacks. Play quietened down considerably, nether side making headway. Everton were first to be dangerous, Chadwick forcing a corner, which was sent over the line. Leyland replied with a rush on the left, and gained a free kick without success. Everton livened up towards the interval. McDonald putting in clever work, and a good shot from Roche almost beat Bennett. A little after the same player sent behind. Half time Everton nil, Leyland nil. Final Everton 1 Leyland 1. Everton: - Ki8tchen, goal, Eccles, and Sharp backs, Wolstenholmes, Kitchen (h) and Blythe, halfbacks Roche, Dawson, McDonald, Livingstone and Chadwick (a), forwards.



March 12 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

After an absence of several weeks the Everton team resumed their League engagements on Saturday last. The weather was delightful, and it was somewhat disappointing to find that the attendance did not exceed 16,000, especially so, as the Wearsides have hitherto been in good drawing team in the district. Strong sides were put in the field as will be seen from the following list of players: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer and Moyneux backs Blythe, Boyle, and Abbott halfbacks, Taylor (captain), Toman, Proudfoot Settle, and Gray, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig goal, McCrombie and McNeill backs, Ferguson McAllister, and Raisebeck, halfbacks, Crawford, Leaslie, Hogg, Fulton, and Latchie, forwards. The Everton team, having the sun at their backs, had by far the better of the opening play but failed to get in a parting shot, so fine was the defence of the Wearside near division. Abbott eventually put in a clever one, which was luckily headed out by McCombie. The visitor's right retaliated in strong fashion, only to be ably met by Molyneux, but returning against Crawford troubled Muir, who twice saved in clever fashion. Taylor made play on the home right, finishing up with a shot that skimmed the bar, and a moment later Settle looked like getting through when McCombie unfairly pulled him up. The free kick was of no avail, and once again the Sunderland forwards were in close proximity to Muir, who was twice called upon by Hogg and Leslie. At the other end Settle forced a corner, from Which the sane player headed splendidly to the net, when Doig brought off one of his characteristic saves, only to find Proudfoot race between the backs with the goal, at his mercy. The Everton centre however, was very faulty with the finishing touches, and following another attack by sunderland, a stiff tussle ensued in front of the visitors goal, Toman putting through amidst great excitement. Nothing further was record upto half time, when the score stood Everton 1 goal, Sunderland nil. The second half opened with Everton leading on a strong attack, but as before chances to score were allowed to go begging, Taylor, Toman and latter on Settle who had only Doig to beat, missing the mark badly. A few minutes later Hogg was in hot pursuit with the ball, only to be beaten by Muir, who had run out to save his charge. Gray then made tracks for the visitor's goal, and put in a fine cross to Taylor, who found an opening for Proudfoot, but the latter made a poor attempt to score. It was only on odd occasions that the Wearsiders gave much trouble to Muir, as more of the play was confined to well within the visitors half. The home forwards could do almost anything, but find the net several easy chances of scoring being missed in unaccountable fashion. Proudfoot was a delinquent on two occasions and the Wearsiders profitting by their repeated escape made big efforts to equalise, but could exact no quarter from Balmer and Molyneux. Up to the close, play was in favour of Everton, who won by a goal to nil.



March 12 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Leyland. Play commenced 30 minutes late owing to the referee missing his train. The visitors at the start, Gee scoring in two minutes. Leyland gained two corners, Hutchinson putting over the bar at the second attempt. Everton subsequently had the best of matters and Oldham, with a run half the length of the field, Scored. The Leyland custodian was now kept busy saving shots from Gee, and Chadwick, and McDonald in quick succession. Half time Everton 2 goals Leyland nil. On resuming the visitor's right was soon Busy, Bennett saving a shot at full length from Oldham. Smart play by Hutchinson and kenworthy threatened the visitor's goal, but Eccles however, relieved at the expense of a corner. Leyland were pressing when the whistle blew, and Everton won by 2 goals to nil.(Game 24) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Eccles, and Sharp backs Gordon green, and Blythe halfbacks, Roche, Oldham, McDonald, Chadwick (a), and Gee, forwards.



March 12 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

After weeks of waiting a League game has once more been witnessed at Goodison Park. The last occasion on which Everton were engaged in the search of points on the enclosure was in the historic struggle with their neighbours from across the park, on January 20 th . The following week their esparartions regarding the English Cup were ruthlessly shattered down south and from that time to Saturday last they have been wandering far and wide, having even ventured within the confines of Ireland and Scotland. Their League engagements in the meantime have not exactly added to their renown. The home campaign was re-opened by a visit from the Sunderland eleven, but though the day was gloriously fine, there would not be more than 15,000 persons present, and the receipts fell much below what had been anticipated. So did the play, and a heavy limbering sort of the game ended in favour of Everton by the narrowest possible margin. The struggle lay between the respective back divisions, which were most evenly balanced, and the attacking forces on both sides were rarely able to overcome the opposing defence. Despite the stubborn character of the resistance offered by the Sunderland halves and backs, the Everton front rank succeeded in making several splendid openings, but in front of goal they seemed to lose all idea of the location of the net, and shot anywhere but in the right direction. Some perfect chances were mulled by inaccuracy near Doig notably when Proudfoot in the second half received a daft pass from Taylor, which left the centre forward with only the custodian to overcome. This was but a repetition of what occurred in the initial moiety when the same player, afterracing through all opposition to within five yards of the Sunderlansd custodian banged the ball against the net, whilst just as the whistle blew for the cessation of hostilities Settle rushed in, and made a woeful attempt to increase the lead, held by the side, by sending across the goalmouth. Other openings there were though perhaps, not so patent but herein lay the great weakness of the side namely, their inability to utilise the opportunities in front of goal, which had in many cases been produced by sterling play in midfield. The Everton forwards were not by any means upto the standard, which one could have desired, and weakness was evident on the extreme wings. Gray appeared to have lost all his cleverness and could make but little headway against the stronger tactics of the opposing backs; though towards the close he improved somewhat. The reminder played a busting sort of game, without accomplishing anything particularly attractive, the inside men, perhaps being the most prominent and both Settle and Toman departed from their customary lethargic methods. The half backs were the best represented by Abbott, whose weight served him in good stead against the sturdy rushes of the Northerners and it was probably this physical inferiority which rendered the display of Blythe much less effective than usual. The Wearsiders were a determined set, and their vigorous tactics required some solid resistance to hold them in check. Further behind, Balmer gave a downright clever exhibition, never failing in his returns, and holding the Sunderland left wing completely under control. Molyneux had a big task on hand to restrain the tenacity and impetuosity of Crawford and Leslie, but became out of the ordeal with credit. In fact the Everton defence was exceptionally sound all round, and in the last line, Muir proved equal to everything that came his way. He had a few awkward items to deal with, but his chief performance was when he ran out, and dispossessed the Sunderlansd centre, who had otherwise a rear course in goal. With regard to the visitors a similar state of affairs prevailed to what was witnessed on the home side. The full backs kicked strongly, and tackled fearlessly, whilst Doig launched forth with his powerful left arm, repelling all intrusive shots. The halfbacks division was a sturdy combination, and clever withal, but the forwards were not so effective the right wing being the most dangerous portion of their attack. The game was a hard fought struggle, rather than a brilliantly passage at arms, and the even character of the respective combatant is demonstrated by the narrow margin by which Everton achieved the victory.



March 19 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The conditions, which prevailed at Wolverhampton on Saturday, were very different from those, which on The 18 th Nov necessitated the postponement of the first League match of the season between Everton and the Wanderers. On the latter occasion the Molineux grounds were enveloped in fog, which rendered it impossible to see more than two or three yards. On Saturday afternoon had threatened in the early part of the day, the sun shone brilliantly, and though the atmosphere was keen more delightful weather could not have been desired. It was therefore an ideal afternoon for spectators who turned up better than has been the case at Wolverhampton of late. Everton made no change in the team which defeat Sunderland the previous Saturday, while the Wolves were represented by the strongest possible eleven, the popular captain Griffiths having recovered from his injury. At 3-15 the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Molyneux backs, Blythe Boyle and Abbott halfbacks Taylor (captain), Toman, Proudfoot, Settle, and Gray forwards, Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Baddeley, goal, Davies, and Blacklett, backs Griffiths (captain), Pheasant and Fleming, halfbacks, Bowen, Harper, Beats, Worton, and Millar forwards. Referee Mr.Fox,, Sheffield. Everton lossing the toss, Proudfoot kicked off against the sun. In the first minutes after smart work Settle caused Baddley to handle. Afterwards Gray in centreing out behind and from a rush by the home right wing Balmer kicked clear Bowan and Harper were still prominent, and Muir had to throw away. Right away the Everton forwards forced the pace, and Settle was dangerous but Baddeley ran out to meet him. The capture of the goal seemed certain, but on Settle shooting the ball unluckily struck the custodian and after exciting exchanges the danger was removed at the expense of an abortive corner. After this the Wolverhampton attacked in the most persistent style, exhibiting any amount of dash and resource. From a centre Bowen, Millar, put in a beauty, which Muir marvelously saved and a moment later a header by beats also gave the Everton custodian considerable trouble. The game was remarkably fast and the scene of operations being suddenly changed; Taylor got away on his own, but through being too closely watched by Blackett his shot was terribly wide. Everton again took up the attack, but were not allowed to get in a shot at goal, Settle when he had an opening, being neatly robbed by Griffith as he was about to shoot. The Everton front line lacked combination, and from the cause much good work was absolutely thrown away. Suddenly the sun disappeared and the sky darkening, snow begins to fall heavily. The Wolves forced the play and Molyneux conceded a corner, from which, Proudfoot headed wide. Proudfoot was sailing away nicely only to be pulled up by Blackett. A moment later Proudfoot compelled Baddeley to grant a corner, but this too was abortive, the whistle blowing for the interval immediately afterwards. Half time result Everton nil; Wolverhampton Wanderers nil. On resuming the Wolves were the aggressors, but for a time the play was of the scrambling order, neither side exhibiting much finish. At last one of the Wanderers defenders by a miskick let in the Everton forwards, and after Proudfoot had shot in, Taylor easily defeated Baddeley. The Wolves spurred on by this unexpected reverse attacked persistently, but could extract no quarter from Balmer and Molyneux. The Wolves defence too was found plenty of work, and their goal was almost captured a second time. The home forwards looked to have a chance when Harper knocked the ball down with his hands. However this mattered little, for almost immediately afterwards smart work by Beats and Harper resulted in the latter equalising with a shot which gave Muir no chance. After this the play was more exciting than ever. Following a neat pass Settle, Taylor ran down on his own, attended by Bickett who had to concede what proved to be a fruitless corner. Bowen placed the winging goal. Final result Wanderers 2 goals Everton 1.



March 19 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

In this return match at Goodison Park, on Saturday, Everton give a trail to a new full back Watson, and a couple of halves (Cowell and Eddlestone). Leonard started for City Cowell pulling up the left wing in fine style. Warm pressure was put on the visitor goal, but the defencers were in capital trim. Oldham once had a difficult chance, but ‘'skied'' the ball. Chadwick kept on the defensive and from a shot the visitors; Dawson put through after Chappell had saved. Everton again pressed after Chappell had saved. Everton again pressed on resuming but Mann and Bowman cleared, and Kitchen saved a warm shot from Mann. Immediately afterwards Everton forced a corner. This was beautifully placed by Gee, and Dawson headed through. Within a minute Roche again beat Chappell, but the point was negative for offside. A grand shot by gee however beat Chappell all the way- the ball having been put past Chappell three in as many minutes. Chappell saved splendidly from Oldham at the expense of a corner but this was well placed by Chadwick scored. Half time Everton 4 goals, ManCity nil. Final result Everton 7 goals Man City nil. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Watson, and Crelly. Backs, Cowell, Green, and Eddleston halfbacks, Roche Dawson, Oldham, Chadwick (a) and Gee, forwards.



March 19 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton club have during the past four seasons found the home of the Wolves a happy hunting ground for the League points, but on Saturday last there was a reversal of what had become to be looked upon at the usual order of things, for the Wolves had the satisfaction of netting the points. Their legitimate claim to victory however, was one those who closely followed the game uphold which could not honesty. Five minutes from the close of operations what was palpably a free kick to Everton if a free kick should have been at all entertained, was given against them, with a resulting goal, and thus the home side were returned victors. The point under notice came about in the following manner. During a strong attack by the home left wing pair, Blythe headed the ball and at the same time was severely sandwiched by two opposing players. The whistle was promptly blown and of course the spectators expected a free kick against the Wanderers but to their surprise, the penalty was given otherwise, with the result afore mentioned. The directors of the home club were not unmindful, and could offer no other explanation than that of a gross error of judgement on the part of the referee, and it was unfortunate that this ruling- one of several doubtful decisions- should have had so serious a bearing upon the game. A draw would have been a fairly accurate reflex of the game, which was contested upon two totally opposite lines. The Everton players undoubtedly gave the more scientific exposition than did their opponents, who trusted mainly to long swinging passes, and close following of the ball. An infusion of the latter qualities would have placed Everton very comfortably ahead, and seeing that they repeatedly experienced this it is high time that they took the situation in seriously. Low crisp passing, with the play equally distributed along the line, is of course, what delegate football crowds, but in three days of keen competition it is absolutely essential that the players should go further and finish up their clever movements with a dash that is almost certain of success. Coming to the players and dealing first with the Forwards, it must be fairly changed in the line, and it unfortunate that in recent away matches, the selection committee have not been represented otherwise a change must have been effected weeks ago. Many fine movements were nullified by a bad finish from the left wing and under ordinary circumstances, judging from the chances that were opened out, scoring should have been freely indulged in. it was not a great day for Settle, for he was shadowed at every turn by the keen Wolves who should they adopt the same worrying tactics in their coming matches, are likely to retain their position in the League table. Proudfoot Toman and Taylor put in a lot of useful work, which however, was without its reward and while cognizant of the attractive style of play, which they adopt, it would benefit their style of play which they adopt it would benefit their side immediately if a superb weft in the shape of a determined dash at goal was forthcoming. At halfback Abbott clearly led the way with useful work. He was never beaten, and but for his close attentions to the Wolves right wing pair, who were generally well held in check, the issue might easily have been decided early on in the game. Boyle also put in many fine touches of play, and what little Blythe lacked in silk was certainly accounted for by pluck and sheer determination to hold his own. Once again Balmer came through the contest with flying colours, but Molyneux is still inclined to allow his opponents too much lattitude, as may be inferred from the fact that both goals came from his side, one occasion when scoring under ordinary circumstances appeared improbable. Muir had a few anxious moments-the outcome of strong rushes-and executed all that was possible in good style, and his vis-a-vis, Baddeley also got through his work creditably. The full backs played a vigorous game and the halves to a man were variable gluttons for work. The dash of the forward line was a prominent feature in the display of the team as time after time one or other of the quintet was in complete possession of the ball, and nothing could have prevented from obtaining a substantial victory. As stated before, a draw would have better befitted the occasion, but doubtless amends will be made next Saturday, where the teams meet at Goodison Park in the return League engagement.


March 26,1900. Glasgow Herald.

The record of these clubs in the competition this season pointed to a good game being witnessed, and consequently there were 10,000 people present at Goodison Park in the first half the game was full of spirit and interest. The play was take from end to end with surprising quickness. After a few minutes Brown scored for the visitors and then Toman had hard luck in not equaliseing. Time after time Baddley kept out difficult shots. Both goalkeeper's had to handle repeatedly, but nothing further was scored before half-time, when Wolves were leading by 1 goal to nil. On resuming Everton penned the visitors in their own half for a considerable period, and Brown and Boyle experienced the hardiest luck with splendid shots. Then Wolves woke up, and also had ill-luck, Bowen slipping when he had the goal at his mercy. Ten minutes later Miller missed the goal by inches only. Both goals subsequently had narrow escapes, but nothing further was scored, and the Wanderers won a keenly contested game by one goal to nil.



March 26 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The return League engagement between these clubs was played at Goodison Park on Saturday, before an attendance of about 10,000. It will be remembered that the teams met on the previous Saturday at Wolverhampton where the home side broke a long spell of reverse at home on defeating the Evertonians by 2 goals to 1. It was confidently anticipated in Liverpool that this result would be reversed, though at the same time, it was freely admitted that the Evertonians would have to put their best efforts forward, as the Wolves had so far an excellent record in away from home matches. There was one change in the Everton team-Gee taking the place of Gray-and at 3-30 the sides turned out as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer and Molyneux backs, Blythe Boyle, and Abbott, halfbacks, Taylor (captain), Toman, Proudfoot, Settle, and Gee, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Baddeley, goal, Davies, and Blackett backs, Griffiths (captain), Pheasant, and Fleming, halfbacks, Bowen, Harper, Beats, Worton and Millar. Forwards. The Wolves had the better of the opening play, and Muir was early called upon. A movement led on by Miller resulted in fine cross shot being converted by Bowen, after the game had been five minutes in progress. This came somewhat as a surprise to the locals, and pulling themselves together several onslaughts were made on the Wolves defence though to no purpose for nothing could have been finer than the saving tactics of Blackett and Davies. A corner kick forced by Taylor came to nothing and immediately afterwards Beats was almost through owing to loose play by the home backs. At the other end, Toman made a poor attempt at an easy chance but amends were made immediately afterwards with a clever header, which passed but a trifle wide of the mark. Following further pressure by the visitors, the Everton left became prominent and a couple of clever shots were sent in be Gee-one a beauty, missing by inches only. His partner Settle was also busy, but met with no success and the interval arrived with the Wolves leading by one goal to nil. On resuming the Everton forwards shaped better, and early on looked like getting upon even terms. Toman struck the upright with a clever shot, and a capital drive from Boyle was a trifle lacking in elevation. The Wolverhampton eventually broke away, and Bowen, having outwitted Balmer found himself within a couple of yards from Muir, when he lost his footing and enabled the custodian to clear what was otherwise a certain goal. The energy infused into the play of the Wolves was a striking feature throughout, and being keen on the ball they were always dangerous. On several occasions the Everton goal was all but captured and some time had elsaped and the home van were in dangerous possession of the ball. They met with stubborn resistance from the backs, and further behind Baddeley was always a tower of strength. Towards the close a most determined attempt was made to equalise but the point was not forthcoming, and the Wolves won a hard game by a goal to nil having thus annexed four points this season at the expense of the Everton Club.



March 26 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Consistently inconsistent is about the only term that can be applied to the Everton team this season, and the display given against the Wolves would on the football thermometer register something not far removed from zero. The performance which have been dished up for the edification of the public at Goodison Park have occasionally been of a high quality, but as a matter of fact the general rule has been a second rate entertainment. The return game with the Wolves afforded the opportunity of witnessing another of then questionable delectations, enough to make the average enthusiast yearn for the bright days of summer and the transmission of the big ball to a welcome four months oblivion. In one particular Everton appear certain to maintain interest, for it is absolutely impossible to predict their chances of success or otherwise, and they are just the sort of team to bring a football prophet to the verge of lunacy. The same team that failed to ignobly on Saturday had the previous week at Wolverhampton been seen in just the opposite humour, and were indeed extremely unfortunate in being beaten. They could not complain on that score in the match under notice, and they might very easily have been defeated by a more decisive margin. Their play was nothing but a desert of football with, perhaps one solitary oasis to relieve the spectator's monotony and the chief difficulty that arises is not to detect the weak. Vulnerable points but to discover which player reached even a moderate standard. There could be no more district contrast possible between two elevens than that furnished by the Wolves and Everton in this game. On the home side was witnessed feeble combination which at times actually reached vanishing point, and show movements whilst their shooting if, indeed this term can with some degree of lucidity be applied to their efforts in the direction of scoring, was the worst of all. The substitution of Gee for Gray on the outside left was not exactly a marked success; but this was not be only failure in the front rank which showed neither cleverness nor resource to battle against the strong defence of the Wolves. Proudfoot showed Very little attention to the wingmen; but much of the non-success of the line was due to the splendid tactics of the visitors half back division which, completely baffled the laboured efforts of the Everton front rank. Whilst the home forwards waited, with commendable patience, let it known, for each other's pass, the Wolves simply came between, and in a trice the ball was careering towards the Everton goal, not in slow stages, but carried along with a vigour and determination that was decidedly refreshing after the half hearted attempts of the home players. Their shooting was too ambitious-they aimed too high-and excellent chances of scoring were nullified by wild attempts and a want of judgement and dash when near goal. It is somewhat singular that the last season, when the Everton front rank was composed of what were termed ordinary players, the Wolves were twice defeated. Now, with the addition of the star element, an exactly opposite record is achieved. Settle however, was well marked, and even an international can scarcely be expected to shine when shadowed all through a game by three or four determined opponents. The whole line requires smartening up considerably, and the infusion of a little extra energy, when in a favorable position for scoring would not damage the play by any means. If the forwards were weak, the halves were even worse. It would be interesting to know what position Blythe occupied, or what his duties were suppose to be. He was according to the programme delegated to right half, but seeing that he hung round Balmer during the greater part of the afternoon, he must have had other ideas in mind. As it was his hybrid endeavours rendered him of little of no assistance to the front rank whilst he was equally useless further behind. Boyle and Abbott were about on a par with their confreres in efficiency, and were often outwitted by the tricky play of their opponents. Balmer and Molyneux were not up to concert pitch either, the former making several glaring errors, though at times he kicked well, and all round it might with confidence be stated that there was a wholesale display of puerility. The Wolves deserved their victory and were undoubtedly the better side. Their attack was most incisive, and their halfbacks were excellent, each of the trio doing splendidly. The backs were equally sound, and the team as a whole was most evenly balanced, and skilful withal. It is perhaps, just as well that the majority of Everton's remaining League matches are to be decided at home, for their season's record has been productive of nothing but disappointment.


March 31, 1900. The Lancashire Evening Post

Something the gentleman had probably not calculated on occurred at Goodison Park, last Saturday, in the midst of the match with the “Wolves” when one of the spectators called out; “Play up, Englishmen”! In any other assembly of my fellow countrymen a round of impartial applause would have followed; but it was far otherwise at Goodison Park; he had meeting been a pro-Boer one, and the appeal “Three Cheers for Joe Chamberlain,” instead of “Play-Up, Englishmen,” the effect could not have been stormier. The mistaken patriot was in deadly peril. Those immediately about him began to hiss and groan; the noise spread round the stands; and I saw fair ladies standing on tip-toe pointing towards the recreant with the ferrules of their dainty sunshades deliberately inclined, as if like the Roman ladies of the amphitheatre, who beat their thumbs when the gladiator was about to slay the Christian captive, to signify “no mercy:”! While the whole “gate” 10,000 strong, rose en masses and howled at him. Then occurred an act of self-devotion which, once seen, can never be forgotten. Heedless of his own safety, anxious rushed forward to throw himself between the crowd and their victim. “You may kill him,” he seemed to say, “but it will be over my dead body.”Suddenly, he stopped in his heroic resolve; the ruddy line of native determination was sicklied o'er by the pale cast of discretion; he paused, swayed to and from hesitatingly; finally retreated into the club house. But it was his face for a moment, and I read in his eyes the thought of his heart: “How will the club go on without me?”

They got the intruder off the ground at last, paid him his money back, I am told, still shouting defiantly “Play up, Englishmen!” The crowd was mainly English, but I am pleased to say he was the only man there to encourage the “Wolves” to beat Everton. He did as much mischief as he could while he had the opportunity, for I firmly believe the “Wolves” would never have won the match if he hadn't cried, “Play up, Englishmen!” At any rate, I defy anybody to prove that they would. He had no imitators fortunately or heaven only knows what the score against Everton would have been. The demeanour of the great bulk of the crowd, as I have tried to show, was most humane and correct. They could easily have put him to death; instead of which they gave him his money back, and then cheered enthusiastically for the Angl0-Scotch team of “Toffees,” and groaned for Englishman in my life, to think the Goodison Park crowd could rise superior to national prejudices and show that as Englishmen they supportered the Scotchmen. There is nothing parochial about Everton's patriotism.