October 1899


EVERTON 2 BURNLEY 0 (Game 311)

October 2 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

After their victory over Liverpool, at Anfield, there was a crowd of fully 15,000 persons present at Goodison Park to welcome the Everton team in their initial encounter of the season with Burnley. The weather was fortunately fine and the ground in good conditions. Everton made one changes in the team from that which did duty the previous week. Eccles substituting Molyneux and Balmer operating at left back. The teams opposed each other as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles, and Balmer, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Blythe, halfbacks, Sharp, Settle, Toman, Taylor (captain), and Schofield, forwards. Burnley: - Hillman, goal, McLintock, and Woolfall, backs, Livingston, Taylor, and Barron halfbacks, Ferguson, Place, Chadwick, Bowes, and Greenwood, forwards. Referee Mr.Horrocks. Everton started, and were early dangerous, Taylor sending outside when in a favourable position. A moment later Taylor was again prominent with a fast high shot, which Hillman grandily cleared. For some time the effort of both sides were confined to midfield, clever passing being shown, but when near goal the attempts to score were feeble, and the respective backs were masters of the situation. The visitor's right wing was prominent in several movements but Balmer and Eccles were equal to every emergency. At length the home forwards bore down with neat passing, and Toman had a nice opening presented but dallied, and Woolfall dashing across, cleared. The visitors amongst whom Chadwick was most prominent, indulged in neat passing, and Ferguson tested Muir with a low shot but the home forwards were quickly away again and Settle failed to account for a smart centre from Sharp. A moment later Sharp got clear away and with no one in front but Hillman shot very wide, when he could have raced much nearer the custodian. Then Schofield received a nice pass from Taylor, but sent wide when a few yards from Hillman and from a smart combined movement in the right, Settle headed in from sharp's centre, Hillman saving in splendid style when the ball appeared certain to enter the net. A score quickly ensued, however, for McLintock conceded a corner, and after a bully in goal, Toman placed the ball past Hillman. A foul against Everton looked ominous, Chadwick dashing in but shooting feebly, and Boyle cleared. The visitors were particularly feeble in front, and Everton were by far the more dangerous. Towards the interval Everton put on pressure, but several chances were missed on both sides, and Everton led at halftime by one goal to nil. On resuming, both goals had a narrow escape. Taylor heading wide, whilst at the other end Place had a perfect opening presented but missed the ball. Everton bore down strongly, and Hillman saved finely from a corner, but Burnley broke away and smart passing on the left wing should have resulted in an equalisling point, the visitors however, still shaping wretchedly at goal. The home right wing indulged in clever footwork, and Sharp sent across a pretty centre, which brought Hillman out to clear. The custodian failed to accomplished this, and ere could regard in his usual position Toman had the ball in the net, Everton now put in severe pressure and Hillman was repeatedly tested, Toman ran clear through the backs, but when only five yards from goal, shot straight at the custodian, who cleared. Hillman saved splendidly from Taylor, and dealt likewise with one from settle who shot from close quarters but a few seconds afterwards the ex-Bury man skimmed the bar with a lighting shot. Burnley now were completely beaten, and rarely got away. The home forwards were continually aggressive, and Hillman saved his side from further disaster by excellent custonship. Everton pressed to the close, and finally won.



October 2 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

At Burnley. Everton took advantage of the wind, but Burnley attacked and Arnott saved. Both goals were assaulted. Everton being the more dangerous. Kitchen effected a smart save from Swainston, after while Everton exacted a strong pressure, the backs defending will. Bannister sent in a splendid shot, which only just missed. Both teams pressed, Everton having slightly the better of the exchange. At the interval neither side had scored. Operating with the wind the home side had considerably the better of the opening phases, but the Everton defence was very round. McMillan sent just over the bar. while Kitchen saved a good attempt. Burnley had only yen men, Everton were dangerous for a time and Arnott saved. Burnley exercted strong pressure and in a scrimmage scored, after the Everton goal, had a series of narrow escapes. Then both goals were visited and play was exciting. Result Burnley one, Everton nil . Everton: - Kitchen goal, Eccles, and Douglas, backs, Sharp, Gordon, and Murphy, halfbacks, Marquis, Roche, Oldham, Abbott and Gee, forwards.



October 2 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton are gradually working themselves into a more favourable position in the League table, their victory over Burnley bringing them to eleventh place, and with a continuance of their present form are likely to further improve their prospects. With one exception they played the same eleven that defeated Liverpool. Eccles substituting Molyneux, who was injured in the above contest, whilst their opponents had likewise to deplore the absence of Morrison owing to a family bereavement. Burnley were well received, Chadwick and Hillman, as old ‘'Blues'' coming in for special recognition, and they were about the most prominent men on the side. The game was, on the whole a very fair exhibition. Everton being distinctly superior in all departments, but one namely that of custodian, but this was due to the fact that, whilst Hillman was simply overwhelmed with work, the position of his vis-à-vis was almost entirely a sinecure, so that there was no chance of comparison in this respect. Very scrambling was the play in the first half, for though Chadwick made several good openings for his wings the outside men failed to utilise them to any extent, and were invariably dispossessed before they could work the ball into dangerous quarters. Everton displayed more method in that attacks, but with the exception of Taylor, who put in an occasional awkward shot, the attempts to scare were very feeble, and when close to Hillman the forwards appeared to lose all their efficacy. However they improved as the game progressed, and in the last 20 minutes gave the Burnley custodian about as warm a time as warm a time as that worthy has experienced for alconsiderable period. It is no exaggeration to state that should similar chances of scoring present themselves to the home forwards on another occasion, the final verdict would betwice as prounced in their favour. In the last stages first Toman and then settle would burst through the whole of the Burnley defence, these rushes being interspersed with a dashing sprint along the wing by Sharp or a rousing shot from Taylor, but wherever the ball was driven there was Hillman favoured, no doubt, with some considerable luck in intercepting several attempts but nevertheless showing a tremendous amount of resource and activity that baulked the home attackers even when a score was practically almost a certainly. In the Everton front improvement was again manifest, and with increased judgement in making the most of opportunities when near goal they should prove an extremely dangerous quintet. The halfbacks line has, in addition, come on beyond recognition in their two recent games. Wolstenholmes has all along done well, and Boyle on Saturday was seen to more advantage than many previous game this season whilst Blythe is fulfilling all anticipations. There was more combination with the front rank noticeable, more aggressive tactics were adopted, and, instead of continually falling to the rear, they backed up their forwards and placing the ball most judiciously, kept the vanguard unceasingly attacking. As at present constituted this department should with a continuance of similar form, require some beating. The backs were again sound; Balmer indulging in some very effective kicking and Eccles proved a worthy substitute for Molyneux. Muir never had an easier time of it in goal, for the Burnley forwards couldn't put in a decent shot during the whole of the afternoon. Chadwick did not shape at all badly in the centre and even now he can control the ball with a skill that many a younger player may well envy, but though the front rank showed nice passing at times, they were so easily repulsed at the finish that their efforts appeared only half hearted. They require a considerable infusion of dash and shooting scent to be a lost art with them. The halves were fairly energetic though neither of the three was particularly prominent and the full backs were about on the same level. To Hillman belongs the chief credit of keeping down the score to such small proportions. The burly custodian usually puts himself on the best behaviour when in the locality, and on the present occasion he fairly excelled himself. He stopped all manner of shots in really fashion, and no matter when the ball came from, he managed to be in the way of it, for it not able to fist it out some part of his anatomy was bound to prove an obstruction. Everton have every reason to be satisfied with the result and should not long take up a position in the table more in accord with their undoubted abilities.



October 9 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the season's League engagements between these teams took place at Preston on Saturday, and as the weather was in every way suitable for outdoor sport there was an attendance of close upon 10,000 when the teams put in their appearance. The North Enders have many new faces in their ranks, and it was generally thought that the return of Stevenson would greatly strengthen their attack. The Evertonians were represented by the side that did duty against Burnley on the previous Saturday, and at 3-30 the players took up their positions as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles, and Balmer, backs, Wolstenholnmes, Boyle, and Blthe, halfbacks, Sharp Settle, Toman, Taylor (captain), and Schofield, forwards. North End: - McBride, goal, Dunn, and Holmes, backs, Eccleston, McIntyre, and Elliott, halfbacks, Murray, Banks, Stevenson Gares, and Halsall, forwards. Everton by winning the toss, had the advantage of playing with the sun at their backs, but the Prestonians were the first to take up the aggressive movement, which was eventually spoiled by Halsall lying offside. Everton failed to get through owing to the close attention of Dunn, and for home little time play, not of a very exhilarating character hovered round midfield. Eventually the home forwards, by sheer determination, forged ahead, and Balmer and Eccles had all their work out to prevent a shot being levelled at Muir. A couple of free kicks brought about a change of venue, but, returning again, Murray and NcIntyre gave trouble, the latter ultimately putting wide of the post with a terrific drive. The first promising bit of work by the Everton van was now noticeable, as Sharp, Settle and Toman made for the North End goal, but on reaching a favorable position. Dunn, checked further progress, and sent the ball well down the field. Some smart exchanged took place, and on the ball coming out to Dunn that player, with a terrific drive, shot just inside the mark. A further pressure in the Everton goal was relieved by Eccles, and Schofield, with Taylor, scampered along the left, the outside man centering beautifully, only to find no one upto seize the opportunity of scoring. Immediately afterwards Taylor, with a clinking shot, just skimmed the bar, and at the other end Stevenson tested Muir, also to no purpose. Success however, attended the persistent efforts of the North Enders, as from a throw in near the line Stevenson put the ball into the net from close quarters, play having been in progress half an hour. Immediately afterwards Tomen shot over when favorably placed, and getting down again, Muir was all but beaten by an ugly shot from Halsall. A smart run down by Murray ended with a fine swinging pass to Gars, who poured upon the ball, and put it into the net, but the referee adjudged the player offside. No further scoring took place up to halftime, when the score stood North End 1 goal, Everton nil. On resuming the Evertonians put on pressure, though they failed to negotiate final touches, and allowed the opposing defenders plenty of time to clear their goal. A visit to the other end resulted in Stevenson testing Muir following which a pretty bit of combination between Sharp and Settle ended in the later defeating McBridge, the custodian having no chance of saving. For some time the Everton players troubled the home defenders without tangible result, and on the North Enders again working their way into a favorable position Banks failed to score with an open goal. There was now no mistaking the superiority of the home side, who continually bore down on the Everton defence Balmer and Eccles being continually called upon, and on one occasion. Muir was exceptionally smart in disposing of a fine shot from Stevenson. Eventually Sharp changed the venue, and almost got through on his own account while Settle also was a source of danger to the home defenders. The pace had anything increased and desperate efforts were made to obtain a leading point, the North End forwards in the last two minutes of the game almost accomplishing their object. Nothing further however, was scored, and the game resulted in a draw of 1 goal each.


October 2, 1899. Glasgow Herald.

The meeting of these teams aroused great interest and, although the weather was dull, 15,000 spectators turned up at Goodison Park. The local club had shown greatly improved form in their last league match, and it was expected that they would beat Burnley, whose record was similar to that of Everton in the first half. The play was fast and even in character for some time, and do what they would the Everton forwards were unable to penetrate the Burnley defence. The visitors then took up the attack, and some clever work by the first line let in Chadwick, who, however, failed to score. Soon afterwards Everton broke away with a run, and Toman scoring, they crossed over with a lead of one to goal to none. On resuming Everton at once attacked, but were met with a stout defence, and found their efforts battled for a time, McIntock relieved and Burnley got away, but they could do nothing, and Everton soon returned to the charge. This time they were successful, Toman putting in a second goal and making victory practically secure. A clever combined movement of the Everton forwards afterwards resulted in the ball being again send into the net, but this point was disallowed by the referee, and the final was Everton 2 goals, Burnley nil.



October 2 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, before 3,000 spectators. The home forwards scored one minute from the start, After 20 minutes play Gee scored a second goal for Everton. The Preston forwards made several good runs, but met with a stubborn resistance. Then Oldham put in a third. Half time Everton 3 goals North End nil. The second half opened in favour of Everton, but a sudden breakaway by Preston ended in Stanfield scoring, and Everton winning by 3 goals to 1. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Douglas and Crelley backs Sharp, Gordon, and Murphy halfbacks, Marquis Proudfoot, Oldham, Gray, and Gee, forwards.



October 2 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

Games between Everton and Preston North End at Deepdale have almost invariably been productive of close issues, and as if to be in keeping with previous experience, that of Saturday was no exception to the rule. The game resulted in a draw, which scarcely represented the actual run of a game which, though never brilliant, was always brimful of interest, by reason of the solid determination that was most noticeable in the movements of the home players. On all hands it was freely admitted that the Prestonians had played by far their best game this season, and had secured both points instead of one none who closely followed the game could have begrudged them their success. However, luck by way of a change, it may be remarked, favoured Everton, and enabled them to emerge from the contest like last season with an equal share of honours. There was a complete transformation in the methods that had been adopted by the Everton forwards in their last three games, and doubtless are they take the field again they will have carefully pondered over the situation and arrived at the solution of their signal failure to sustain even a modicum of interest in their performance on Saturday. In the first portion of the proceedings there was but little attempt at combination; the players might never have had experience of each others play, and it was small wonder that at the interval the margin of lead by their opponents was not more prounoced. In the second half there was a slight improvement, but not sufficient to assert superiority, and one could not come to any other conclusion that the weakest of all the line was the Everton vanguard. The North End attacking force were none the more proficient in bringing out the nicer points of the game, but what they lacked in this direction was made up by the determination they put into all their movements. They were ever ready to pounce upon the ball; they forced the pace to a high degree; and that they maintained it to the finish of the game speaks well for their training. Towards the close they were very dangerous customers to deal with, more by the earnestness with which they stuck to their work that by skill, and had they not allowed seal to overcome discretion in the last two minutes of the game they might have won handsomely. Misdirected energy was a fault common to both sides. There was far too much racing about which might have been controlled by more capable centre forward play. After the clever games played recently by the Everton centre, one was not prepared for the ragged display of the line on Saturday, and that the tendency led to the adoption of individual efforts in the later stages of the game occasioned no surprise. It was during this period that Sharp on several occasions tried to get through on his own account, also Settle; but by the close attentions of the opposing backs they were allowed but little quarter. The halfbacks on both sides were kept busily employed all through the game and their best efforts were noticeable more in breaking up attempts at combination than in placing the ball favourably for their forwards. In the direction the North End trio were very capable, but for real all round merit none did better work than Blythe, the Everton left half. Balmer and Eccles acquitted themselves ably under the severe tension that was not infrequent, and no exception could be taken to Muir's display in goal. The North End forwards as above stated, put plenty of dash into their work; the wing men put in several fine sprints and, with the return of Stevenson to the centre forward positions, the line should give a good account of themselves. The halves were good, and Dunn played a fine game at full back, while McBride in goal got through his work in most creditable fashion. Summing up, there was a keenness about the contest that had a tendency to suppress the nicer points of the game. Had the Everton forwards adopted the methods of the previous week there could have been only one team in it; as it was they were lucky indeed to return with an equal share of honours.



October 16 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of Nottingham Forest to Goodison Park on Saturday was productive of more than ordinary interest for last season the Midlanders attracted three out of four points in their League engagements and followed this up by ousting the Evertonians in the English Cup competition, moreover, the lacemen had better record so far this season, though the recent improvement in the play of the local club levelled matters up somewhat, and a capital afternoon's sport was anticipated on all hands. Gee reappeared in the ranks of the Everton team vice Schofield, and at 3-30 the sides faced in the following order: - Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles, and Balmer, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle and Blythe, halfbacks, Sharp, Settle, Toman, Taylor (captain), and Gee, forwards. Forest: - Allsopp, goals, Peers, and Iremonger, backs Frank Forman, Macpherson, and Norris, halfbacks Fred Forman, Capes, Beveridge, Morris, and Spouncer, forwards. Everton winning the choice of ends had the advantage of playing with the sun at their backs, though in the early stages they made but little progress against the sturdy halfbacks play of the visitors. The Notts left wings were very prominent during this period, and following one of many fine attacks from this quarter, Spouncer was only a trifle wide with a shot that struck the side of the net. After a quarter of an hour's play the Everton vanguard were seen to better advantage, severe pressure being levelled at the Forest defence, and when scoring seemed imminent Toman was, unfortunately ruled offside. The Forest forwards by their short crisp passing forged ahead, and for some minutes they kept within ranges of Muir, nothing but the fine defence of Eccles and Balmer preventing them from getting in a parting shot. Sharp was then conspicuous with a splendid run on the Everton right, his brilliant effort culminating with a shot that only just missed the mark. The spectators were not slow to show their appreciation of Sharp's effort, and for more time his confreres fairly cut out the pace, with the result that Allsop had several narrow escapes. On one occasion Settle shot in hard, and the custodian having fallen was distinctly lucky in reaching the ball, while a few minutes later his charge again escaped from a pass to Gee, who was somewhat under difficulties with an open goal, and could do nothing better than put the ball outside. Still the more dangerous movements came from the Foresters, whose forwards combined, in excellent fashion and nothing but the determination tackling of the Everton trio and backs could have kept them out. At the other end, Gee only just missed the mark from a free kick, and getting to work again, the Forest forwards among whom Spouncer was a conspicuous figure gave another capital display of passing, which resulted in Beveridge eventually getting possession from the inside left, and opening the score 30 minutes from the start. The point was capitally worked for, and was justily applauded, and the cheering had scarcely died away when a fine opening was made for Gee, who however, failed as also did Taylor immediately afterwards. A couple of free kicks close in availed the home side nothing, and when the interval arrived the Forest were leading by a goal to nil-a score that fairly reflected upon the run of the game. On resuming, the Everton forwards gave much better promise, and for some little time the visitor's defenders were kept fully extended to their best efforts. A brilliant shot was sent in by Gee and following pressure at the Everton end, Taylor broke through, and enabled the outside left to again get within close quarters, where Toman took his centre, and brought out Allsop's best efforts to prevent a downfall. Keeping up the pressure of which the home right pair had a big share Settle dodged a trio of opponents, and sent in a terrific shot, which rebounded from the upright. The ball came to Toman, with the result that the Forest goal was captured, and the game resumed under equal conditions. After a further spell of attacking the Everton defenders were in difficulties, and on one occasion Morris had an open goal, but missed badly. At the other end Toman also had a clear course, but preferred to run against iremonger, who gave a corner, and following a similar concession a smart pass from the centre to Sharp resulted in the latter player putting on the leading point, amid much enthusiasm. For some time the Everton team all round had been playing a superior game to their opponents, particularly at halfback and forward, and but for some doubtful ruling by the referee, their lead would have been of a more pronounced character. Taylor came in for special notice, as he was repeatedly pulled up and it was distinctly unfortunate on one occasion after defeating Allsop that the referee had not noticed that the ball came to the Evertonian from a Forester. Towards the close the visitors put on a big effort to get on equal terms again. Beveridge on once occasion striking the post from a pass by the right wing, but nothing further was scored, and Everton winning by a two goals to one.



October 16 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

At Skerton. The game was fast and even, but Everton gradually gained ground, and Gordon got through. A nice forward movement ended in Oldham increasing the score. Skerton played a grand game. Everton got to close quarters and again scored though Roche. Half time Everton 3 goals Skerton nil. Resuming Everton continued to do again pretty much as they liked, but Skerton put in some nice work at times. Kitchen saved splendidly on two occasions from Fisher and Cookson. Creighton and Grey, on the Everton side, were conspicuous. Play lingered around the home goal, and Lucas dropping the ball, Oldham again netted. Creighton also dribbled up gradually and scored, and eventually Everton winning by 6 goals to nil . Everton: - Kitchen goal, Burrows, and Crelley backs Murphy, Gordon, and Abbott halfbacks Roche, Crighton Oldham, Gray, and Schofield, forwards.



October 16 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

By their victory over Nottingham Forest Everton made some amends for the dual disasters of last season. When the Reds not only vanquished the local eleven in the return League fixtures, but also ousted them from the English Cup competition. The result, however appeared by no means assured at half time, when the visitors had deservedly led by one goal to nil, but Everton improved considerably in the later portion of the game and pulled the match out of the fire. Capital footwork was witnessed on both sides, and though the interval flagged somewhat in the first portion of the contest afterwards there was no room for dissatisfaction. Everton were some considerable time before they got into decent working order, and in the earlier stages both forwards and backs were wanting the result being that the Foresters had far more to say in the matter than the Everton supporters wished. There were many clever individual efforts witnessed on the part of Sharp and Gee, but their attempts to score were erratic and Toman was so carefully nursed and attended to by McPherson, that he was comparatively useless until the game had considerably progressed. On the Forest side the combination of the front rank was of a very high order, and Spouncer was repeatedly dropping the ball in dangerous proximity to Muir, but the Everton backs generally managed to clear though not in very confident fashion. The visitors clever left wing eventually presented Beveridge with a perfect opening of which that worthy promptly availed himself, and in comparative silence his side took the lead. Thanks to some improved play in the second moiety Everton won by 2 goals to 1, much to the relief of the majority of the crowd, for truth to tell, when Everton had obtained the lead they appeared to regret the fact, and almost presented their opponents with an equaliser by their hesitancy in the later stages. There was little to choose between the teams, and the Midlanders created a very favourable impression by their pretty play. What the Everton forwards had partaken of in the interval is not known, but it proved a splendid tonic. They shaped as if they meant winning on resuming, and Toman meeting with more success, the whole line moved with greater accuracy and precision. The inclusion of Gee strengthened the left wing, for Taylor, by sheer determination opened out for his partner, of which the outside man took full advantage and want of judgement in shooting was all that could be taken exception to in his display. The right wing acted in very smart fashion, Sharp exhibiting his speed to great advantage and his final efforts were nearer to the mark than in previous games. In conjunction with Settle, whose performance was likewise a high standard by Everton's chief danger in attack, and who first goal was the result of really clever and determined efforts on the part of the international. The halves were not so consistent, for though all accomplished good work at times there were other occasions when palpable weaknesses were noticed, and the Forest forwards were given almost a free hand in furthering their progress. They were erratic rather than really weak, and against opponents of the calibre of the Notts front rank these defects are quickly taken advantage of. A similar remark applies to the backs, and although Balmer kicked strongly, and often gained his side relief, awkward mistakes were made more particularly on the right wing, which led in the visitors on several occasions. They always managed however, to extricate themselves though at one time the hesitancy to clear was so dominant, and the ball had hovered in dangerous proximity to Muir's charge so long, that Taylor rushed up from a front and dashing into the fray dispatched the leather to a less dangerous position. The Forest forwards were a well-balanced quintet and their combination was really clever. The left wing was the more prominent branch of the front line, Morris rendering excellent services whilst Spouncer's centres formed one of the chief features of the day's play. The halves were likewise a persistent trio, the veteran McPherson being ever in the thick of the fray, and Frank Forman exhibited clever footwork. The lengthy Iremonger evidently infused a certain amount of respect into his opponents by the vigorous play, and he was usually allowed abundant space to effect his returns. Both custodians cleared well, and could not possibly have stopped any of the shots that scored. Everton now occupy the middle position in the League table, but they have a stiff task to face in the near future, for in their next six League games, five are on foreign soil, and if they can retain their present position to the end of the period their prospects will be rosy indeed.



October 20 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

A mixed team of Everton players made the journey to Leicester yesterday, to play a match with Fosse for the benefit of J.Walker, an ex-Everton, who last season had broken his leg when playing against Grimsby Town. The Vistors had the better of the opening play, during which the home custodian was frequently called upon. A visit to the Everton end found the Everton keeper in readiness, but after ten minutes, Proudfoot opened the scoring. The visitors continued to have the better of matters, the play of the wingmen being fine, and several dangerous movements were made towards the Fosse goal. Eventually Proudfoot again found the mark with a clever shot a quarter of an hour from the interval, and just on change of ends the home side reduced the lead, with Bishop scoring. After changing ends Gray put on two more goals for Everton, and the Fosse were beaten by 4 goals to 1.


GLOSSOP 1 EVERTON 1 (Game 314)

October 23 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met at Glossop before a capital attendance, the sides faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles, and Balmer backs Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Blythe, halfbacks Sharp, Settle, Toman, Taylor (captain), and Gee, forwards. Glossop: - Williams, goal, Rothwell, and McEwan backs, Coville, Clifford and Killean, halfbacks, Evans Gallacher, McCosh and Jones forwards. The home side won the choice of ends and during the opening stages their right wing were prominent in an attack upon the Everton goal. Evens only just missed the mark, and following a check by Boyle the home side returned to an attack, which ended in Muir ably attending to a dropping shot from Killean. The Everton forwards then got under way, and for some time Williams was kept fully attended one centre from Gee being accounted for with some degree of luck. Play round the home goal for some time, when Gallacher eventually raced off only to be pulled up by Balmer and for some time play was of a very even character. Toman was eventually in good position when he was badly charged being well within the penalty line, but an appeal was not entertained, and a fruitless corner was the only outcome. Boyle shortly afterwards was only a trifle wide with a header and returning again Taylor missed the mark by the merest margin. Play alternated in rather brisk fashion without tangible result, and when the interval arrived nothing had been scored. Immediately on resuming Gee and Taylor was greatly in evidence the outside man especially so but there was no breaking though the home defence. After ten minutes play however success attended the efforts of the Everton team, J.Sharp raced down the wing in his characteristic fashion, and timing his centre accurately, Toman was enabled to open the scoring with the shot that bounded into the net after striking the under position of the crossbar. For some little time the Everton forwards kept play in the Glossop half, and Williams was distinctly lucky in saving from Gee and Settle. A couple of corners followed to no purpose and the home forwards took up the running with no better success. Settle had a clear course on Rothwell missing his kick, but failed badly, and in close following Muir was twice toubled by Connachan with capital shots. Further pressure resulted in Balmer missing his kick and Connachan racing up on the equalising point up to the end of the game desperate efforts were made to obtain a leading point, but this not being forthcoming the game ended in a draw of one goal each.



October 23 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park before 4,000 spectators, Brett started for Berry's and Crank headed away a lively centre from Schofield, after which Berry's attacked. Hamilton shooting wide when well placed. After ten minutes play Oldham scored with a fast straight shot, whilst soon afterwards Hopton beat away from Creighton. Berry's played an energetic game, and forced the ball into the net after a hot attack, but the whistle had just blown for offside. Oldham further increased the home lead, but afterwards Clarke and Brett between them scored for Berry. Half time score: - Everton 2 goals Berry 1. Oldham restarted and play in the second half was more keenly fought. Berry's nearing equalising, after which Everton monopolised all the play, weak play in front of goal losing them several goals, Everton winning by 2 goals to 1. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Sharp, and Crelley, backs, Murphy, Gordon, and Abbott halfbacks, Marquis, Creighton, Oldham, Gray, and Schofield, forwards.



October 25 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The game between Everton and Glossop was a disappointing affair, as but little skill was shown during the contest which more resembled one of the old cup-tie wrangles than the class football of today. The Glossop players were certainly a set of triers, and whilst they may be deficient in the exposition of the nicer points of the game, they make amends by the earnestness they infuse into their movements. The ground is on the small side, with a slope that is well known to the home players, so that one was quite prepared for a game more of the kick and rush method than steady concerted action. In this particularly style of play the Glossop teams are no novices, as other visitors to their enclosure will no doubt testify, and the club to exact full points at their expense will need have to keep a level head. Had the Evertonians kept the ball low and, embarked upon the same plan of campaign that was witnessed at Goodison Park in the second half of the game with Nottingham Forest there could only have been one team in it, and that would certainly not have been Glossop. The visiting forwards were for the most part ragged in their movements and so disconcerted by the enthusiasm accorded the opposing side that for a lengthy period they could do nothing right. For an example of downright partisanship, one must be commended to the Glossop supporters. Silence reigned supreme when Everton claimed an advantage and when they eventually scored one could have heard a point drop. On the other hand when the Glossop forwards even crossed the half way line the enthusiasm of the crowd know no bounds, and doubtless this had a considerable bearing upon the ultimate issue of the game. It was not a pleasant game to watch, but evidently the Glossop spectators are well content with the standard attained by their players. Several hitherto well known to the district are included, in their ranks, notably Williams the ex-Evertonian, and on the whole they fully merited their position. The custodian played a clever game all through; and the old Bootleite McEwan in conjunction with Rothwell gave him every assistance while the halves were a veritable and of close attendants. In the forwards the end while Liverpoolians Gallacher and Jones were among the most dangerous in attack, though to sum the whole team up they were more conspicuous by their dash, than sturdy play and away from their own surroundings they are not likely to meet with much success. With the team of allaged scientific exponents as the Everton club have at hand one would have though that as a body they would display sufficient intelligence to control the play in a groove that is expected from class exponents. Had the forwards kept the ball low and resorted to crisp passing rather than attempt to emulate the wild rushes of their opponents there could be no question that a handsome victory would have been realised. When the ball were in the air it was long odds on a Glossop man securing possession at any cost, and consequently much of the good play of the defenders was at enough. Killean kept sharp and Settle well in check though the most pleasing feature of the whole performance was the magnificent centre of the outside man, which enabled Toman to score. Taylor and Gee were not allowed much quarter, and the attention of the half backs were directed more in stemming the ugly rushes of the Glossop forwards than in initiating attacks for their side. Both Eccles and Balmer played well, and it was unfortunate that the latter falled to clear at a juncture which proved fatal to his side. Muir was not troubled much, and had certainly no chance whatever to deal with the shot that took effect. It was a disappointing game, and though the surroundings were against Everton players they should have won with a comfortable lead.



October 24 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

This friendly match being one of the conditions attaching to Abbott transfer was played at Small Heath. The visitors had only three of the first team playing with Small Heath having all the best of the game, won by 6 goals to 2, the scores bring for Small Heath Maln, one goal, Robertson three goals, Wilcox, Adey, one each and for Everton Proudfoot, and Abbott.


STOKE 1 EVERTON 1 (Game 315)

October 30 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team made the journey to the Pottery district on Saturday to oppose Stoke in the first of this seasons meetings between the clubs. The weather was all that could be desired for outdoors sport and when the teams appeared on the field there would be close upon 10,000 spectators present. The sides were as follows : - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Balmer, backs Wolstenholmes, Boyle and Blythe, halfbacks, Sharp Settle, Toman, Taylor (captain), and Gee, forwards. Stoke: - Wilkes, goal, Eccles and Robertson, backs, Parsons, Holford and Brandon halfbacks, Johnson Kennedy, Higginson, Maxwell, and Turner, forwards. Everton commenced operations, but their opponents had the better on the opening play, and Maxwell was only a trifle wide with a fast shot. Returning Turner forced a corner though to no purpose and a movement towards the other end was completed by a capital shot from Gee, to which Wilkes ably attended. Play proceed in brisk fashion, the Stoke forwards being keener on the ball and generally more dangerous but they could make but little headway against the Everton full backs, Balmer especially being a stumbling block to their career. A shot from Maxwell gave Muir some trouble and a few minutes later Balmer was up just in time to prevent Kennedy putting in a shot from a very favourable position. Toman and Sharp removed the play, to the other end, where the stay was only of duration, and a further period of attack by Maxwell banging the ball against the crossbar. The Everton forwards now gave considerable trouble to the Stoke defenders. Taylor being most conspicuous with efforts to score and success eventually came as the result of a sprint by Gee, who sent across to the right wing, and Taylor put the ball into the net five minutes from the change of ends. Nothing further was scored up to the interval, when Everton led by a goal to nil. On resuming Toman quickly called upon Wilkes and following the clearance both Higginson and Turner were only a trifle wide with capital attempts to break through. Stoke kept up a determined pressure and were at length rewarded with an equalising point a quarter of an hour from the restart. This was the outcome of a spirited run along the wing by Turner, and Maxwell being in close attendance, received the ball when in a favourable position and give Muir no chance of saving. A strong appeal was made on the ground that the ball had been over the line, but the referee after consulting the linesman did not uphold the appeal. The Everton forwards were then seen to better advantage the wingmen capecially putting in good work, and on two occasions Sharp and Gee were only beside the mark with clever shots. Play was keenly contested and towards the close became somewhat struggling, Stoke had rather the better of matters, but could not get through and when the end came the game ended in a draw of 1 goal each.



October 30 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The reserve teams of the above teams met for the first of their fixtures in the Lancashire Combination at Goodison Park, before 15,000 spectators. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen goal, Sharp (b), and Crelly, backs, Murphy Gordon, and Abbott halfbacks Roche, Proudfoot, Oldham, Gray and Schofield, forwards. Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, Goldie (a) and McQueen, backs Goldie (w) Geary, and Birchall halfbacks, Wilson, Scott, Hunter, Kyle, and Foxal forwards .

Liverpool lost the toss, and started against the strong breeze, Even play followed for some time, but eventually Everton forged ahead, and Perkins saved finely from Roche, likewise fisting out from a corner kick. After some play in the Liverpool quarters, Oldham dodged around, and with a low fast shot, Perkins was took by surprise. Everton monotony the play and Liverpool broke away and Kitchen saved cleverly from a Kyle, whilst from the return Geary struck the side of the net. More midfield play then occurred but at last Proudfoot wriggled past the backs and beat Perkins all the way with a splendid shot. At the interval led by 2 goal to nil. and on teams changing ends Everton put a other with a shot from Gordon. At length Kyle tested Kitchen and them Scott missed scoring by inches and eventually Everton winning by 3 goals to nil.


October 30, 1899. Glasgow Herald.

With all the conditions most favourable for football some 10,000 people assembled to witness this match at Stoke, and the play, though slow at the commencement, soon became interesting, both goalkeeper's having difficult shots to save. The game underwent some rapid changes, the forwards on each side shooting in first rate form. No definite success was gained, however, until just before half-time, when Taylor, with a neat shot, scored for Everton, who led by a gaol to nothing at the change of ends. The play during the second portion of the game was of a thoroughly interesting character. After being on the defensive for ten minutes, Stoke equalised through Higginson, and from this point the game progressed at a good rate –ever inch of the ground was stubbornly contested, but neither side could get through again, and a capital match ended in a draw of one goal each.



October 30 1899. The Liverpool mercury

Any conscientious crittie or spectator at the match between the Stoke and Everton on Saturday could not help admitting that the Evertonians were exceptionally lucky to return with one point to their credit. It is about time that the team of class players such as the club is supposed to have at hand did something to justify the high Position which they hold in the football world. It is all very well to trust to individual efforts but it is not by this means that First League matches are won. It is essential that the team should be homogenous. The plain truth must be told, and it is that there is a lack of cohension between the defence and the attack of the Everton team. This has been apparent to no small degree during the last three weeks. The display of the team at Glossop was ragged, and their shooting wretched and the same conditions applied in the match at Stoke. If the Stoke forwards during the first portion of the game had only taken advantage of their opportunities they would have led by at least two goals. At the same time fortune did not smile lavishly upon them, for on two occasions terrific shots bounded over the net after striking the crossbar, and the chances were that Muir would not have been able to deal with them had not the elevation been slightly at fault. Taking the game all through, it was most unsatisfactory for efforts were not united passes were ill timed, and shooting faulty. Had it not been for the downright hard work and close tackling of the Everton defenders there could have been only one issue to the encounter, which must have resulted in a couple of points to Stoke, and had the latter been so fortunate as to secure these, none that followed the game could have begrudged them their success. At the interval Everton were leading by a goal, which was the result of one of the very few movements of ant exceptional merit towards their opponents goal. They were not overhauled until the second half had been well in progress, and there was some doubt as to the correctness of the referee's decision, as the ball appeared to have been well over the line before being centred to Maxwell. However the Stoke eleven had none too much of the luck that was flying about, and in the closing stages they might even than have established their superiority but for very faulty finishing touches. As may be inferred from the above, the Everton forwards gave a very in different display. United action was generally absent and there was a lack of that understanding which used to exist between them and the halfback line. The wingmen were the most prominent of the van, but as a whole there was an expenditure of energy that had some intelligence been brought to bear did not warrant the occasion. The halfbacks were mostly engaged in breaking up the attempts at combination by the opposite, and chief honours of the game must be credited to the full backs, of whom Balmer especially played a capital game. Muir had several difficult shots to deal with and did his work well, but summing the whole side up, there was not in point of efficient work the return that one looks for from such players and they must be accounted lucky on escaping defeat. The Stoke eleven, thoughout not a body of celebrities in the football world consistute a well-balanced team and fully justly their satisfactory position on the League table. The front line were not short of dash, though most of their play was directed from the left wing, where Maxwell was generally kept busily employed. The halfbacks were quite capable of holding the Everton forwards in check and the backs and custodian were also equal to all demands made upon them. A point away from home is of course satisfactory, but if the Evertonians are to make further progress they will need have to put their heads together and settle upon some concerted plan, rather than like Micawber wait for something to turn up.