September 1899

EVERTON PICNIC August 24 1899. The Daily Post

The annual picnic in connection with the Everton Football Club took place yesterday and was attended by complete success. The plane chosen was the old and interesting village of Aughton, and the drive was in the brilliant sunshine was greatly enjoyed. An early start was made from the offices of the club at Goodison Park, and Aughton was reached in good time, were lunch was pretaken of at the Stanley Hotel, and the afternoon was then given up to Bowls, a Cricket match, and other forms of athletic amusement. The directors present were messes S.M.Crawshaw, W.C.Cuff, T.Keates, E.A.Bainbridge, A.C.Taylor, and Molyneux (secretary). All the players engaged by the club put in appearance, and the new comers particularly seemed to appreciate the round of amusement provided. Subsequently an admirable served dinner at which Mr.Crawshaw presided, was partaken of a later in the evening, the return drive to Liverpool was generally was voted thoroughly enjoyable.


August 26, 1899 The Manchester and Lancashire General Advertiser

It appears that between the 10 th and 11 th inst, the office in connection with the Everton Football Club was broken into. The thief no doubt had climbed over the railings surrounding the ground, broken a pane of glass, and entered the office. He took a woollen “sweater” and three pairs of new football boots. The next day the “Sweater” was found at a pawnshop in Goodison-road by Dectective-seageant Lindsay, it having been pawned there by a well dressed young man named Scott. On Wednesday this young man gain appeared at the pawnshop referred to and offered to pledge a vest. Mr. Bateson, the manager of the shop, acting on their instructions of the detective, recognized him as the young man who pawned he “sweater” and he was subsequently arrested by Detective-sergeant Lindsay.


August 26 1890. The Liverpool Echo

The most striking feature in connection with the Everton Football Club will be the sweeping changes in personnel in the players. Many old faces will be missing from the ranks but in their place the directors over confidant of having secured really valuable first class men. When seen out at the annual club picnic on Wednesday, all the men looked in very pink of conditions, and they and the one and all created a highly favorable impression. Chief among the new comers are Bert and Jack Sharp, who appeared in the Aston Villa colours the former is an extremely useful man at either back or halfback, while Jack Sharp in addition to being a Lancashire County Cricket of great promise, is a first rate outside right, possessing both speed and cleverness in front of goal. The other full backs are Eccles Balmer Crelly, and Bridson, the latter a local lad in the half way line familiar faces will be seen in Boyle Taylor Blythe, and Wolstenholmes, the new comers, Gordon of Fauldhouse Lanark. The forward line this season see J.Sharp, Toman, who did so well for Burnley, Settle the sensational Bury inside winger Gray of Partick Thistle, and Abbott of Small Heath, the list of forwards also includes Proudfoot, Gee, Marquis, Schofield Roche, and Whelan. For the goalkeepers, the club will reply on Muir, and Kitchen. The first Public practice takes place this afternoon. Season tickets may be had at the office, at Goodison Park on Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday of next week upto eight o'clock in the evening.



August 26 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton are indulging in a practice match today, when the public will be afforded an opportunity of witnessing several new players, together with making of the old favorites. The match will of course be free and it is expected that there will be a great crowd. The kick off is announced for 4 o'clock. The following are the respective sides, Blues Muir, goal Sharp (b), and Molyneux, backs Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Taylor halfbacks, Marquis, Roche, Oldham, Gee, and Schofield, forwards. Whites, Kitchen goal, Balmer and Crelly, backs, Blythe, Gordon, and Murphy, halfbacks, Gee, Abbott, Toman Settle and Sharp (j) forwards,,


August 29, 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

Much interest has been created in Bolton by the official notification that Lawrence Bell, the Everton and ex-Sheffield Wednesday forward, has been transferred to the Bolton Wanderers. The transfer to the Everton Club fee has not leaked out, but it is said to be substantial.


August 29, 1899. The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser

Much interest has been created in Bolton, by the official notification that T. Lawrence Bell, the Everton and ex-Sheffield Wednesday forward, has been transferred to the Bolton Wanderers. The transfer fee to the Everton Club has not leaked out, but it is said to be substantial.


August 29 1899. The Daily Post

Much interest was created in Bolton yesterday morning by an official notification that Laurence Bell the Everton and ex Sheffield Wednesday has been transferred to the Bolton Wanderers. The transfer fee to the Everton Football Club has not leaked out but it is said to be substantial.



August 28 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

Although it is a difficult matter to contemplate we shall in a few days be hurled in the serious business of football which will hold away during the next eight mouths. During the close season the executives of the richer clubs have mainly devoted their attention to the capture of talent whereby to maintain and if possible excel all previous efforts and these can, to a certain point view the situation within comparative complacency. Not so many others whose much chewed pencils during the close seasons have clearly demonstrated that it is no easy task to make ends meet, and under such conditions, it is small wonder that one hears at every turn of a plea for the pooling of gates. Pooling of gates is a question likely to be thoroughly well thrashed out in the near furture. Most of the clubs have already been before the public and local followers have had an opportunity of gauging the abilities of Everton and the Liverpool players, but one must not be too hasty in forming conclusions, for under the weather conditions which prevailed even spectators must have found the situation a trifle trying. With regard for Everton there is much to record that is new. A couple of seasons ago popular feeling in the district ran in the direction of obtaining and nursing local talent and the Everton executive always ready to meet the wishes of their numerous head of supporters, embarked upon the plan of providing such players. Though annual results of contests were highly satisfactory the quality of play which attained these was act of a high standard. It is a pleasing item to chronicle that the public, who almost demanded the change and then found it wanting as far as a skilful exposition of the code was concerned, struck rigidly to the club, and brought a highly satisfactory financial season to a close. During the close season the club managers, again acceding to the wishes of their supporters, have reverted to the old order of things, and have engaged several class exponents, who with their tried players will undoubtedly bring the quality of football at Goodison Park to a high state of efficiency. Judging from the practice game, the players to a man appear to have cast off that four months' coating of rust, and it is a district compliment to Trainer Lewis, that the players so ably disported themselves on the ground on Saturday last. There is every prospect of a most successful season, for in every position the club have at hand really class players, and visitors to the ground may, as in seasons gone by, look forward to interesting games from start to finish. In goal the services of Muir and Kitchen are at command and all local supporters of the game can testify to the ability of these players who have scarcely ever been found wanting. At full back there is plenty of choice, for in addition to the old brigade, there is Bert Sharp late of Aston Villa, and in this position also the committee should experience no misgivings in the selection of a reliable pair to represent the club. Of the halves, Boyle, Taylor, Wolstenholmes, and Blythe, of the old hands remain, and it is anticipated that the incursion of Gordon, of Fauldhouse, Lanark, will greatly strengthen the line that was on the whole rather disappointing last season. The forward's line promises to be a stronger, and better balanced lot than has represented the club for some seasons. J.Sharp (Aston Villa) will, with Settle form the right wing, with Toman in the centre. The left will probably cause some difficulty in deciding upon, as there appears to be a wealth of talent to select from. Abbott who last season rendered capital service to Small Heath, scoring 32 goals, in League matches, will take the inside position, and the claims of the other will be shortly decided upon. Judging by the attention at the practice game on Saturday, the public are thirsting for the opening of the season on Saturday next, when Sheffield United last season's winners of the English Cup-will furnish the visiting side. Season tickets can be obtained at the office of the Club, Goodison Park up to eight o'clock on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening.




September 4 1899. The Sheffield Independent.

A Good Win For The Sheffielders.

The Everton executives may be accounted very fortunate in having as opponents for their opening match the English Cup Holders, and the popularity of the Sheffielders may be gauged in a measure from the fact that there must have been 25,000 people at Goodison Park to visitors the game. The weather turned out beautifully fine, the ground was in excellent condition, and though there was a slight breeze everything was in favour of a good, fast game. The United had only one change from the team which carried off the cup, Moran, a new importation, taking the place it Bennett, who was kept of the eleven owing to strained muscles, on the Everton side four practically new men appeared in the front rank, these being J. Sharp, Settle, Toman, and Abbott, each of whom must have cost a nice sum for their transfer. There was a fair and rapidly increasing attendance an hour before the time advertised for the start, and to while away the long wait Hudson's Soap Workers band played a selection of music. The home eleven were the first to make their appearance, followed immediately by the Sheffielders, each side gaining a capital reception from a large crowd. Ernest Needham made a good start by winning the toss, and thus gained for his, side the advantage of playing with the sun behind their backs, although the breeze was in favour of Everton. Toman started the game, but in the first minute the Everton goal was in danger, and though Wolstenholme managed to stop the visitors' left wing, the visiting forwards, were immediately afterwards in their opponents' goalmouth, Muir saving cleverly from Almond. From Muir's save the home right wing broke away, but their final effort proved unsuccessful. The first free kick fell to United, and Muir had to clear in a hurry. The game was very fast, but the United men showed poor combination at the start, the play of the home team being much cleaner and smarter in midfield, still the Sheffielders kept pegging away, and once Muir had to handle from an overhead kick by Hedley, and from Morren's return the Everton custodian fisted away clearly. For some time after this the Evertonians had much the best of matters, the United defenders having a very anxious time of it. The home forwards brought the ball up prettily repeatedly, but appeared weak in front of goal whilst Thickett, Needham, and Morren defended admirably. Foulkes had to concede a corner from a fine high shot from Gee, but this was not improved upon. Still the Evertonians kept up the attack, and Needham twice came to the rescue of his side with timely clearances, once dispossessing Toman when the latter appeared certain to get through. The Goodison Park men at this point were showing much the better form, their passing being smart and well timed. After a rather lengthily spell of attacking Settle managed to get the ball into the net, but the whistle had previously gone for a glaring case of offside, much to the disgust of the majority of the spectators. Foulkes again saved from Gee, though at the expense of another corner, which was very badly placed. The United made two or three dashes towards the Everton goal, but there was little combination in the attack, and soon the Sheffielders were again busy in defending when the game had been in progress ability twenty minutes Settle sent in a fast, low shot, Foulkes vainly throwing himself full length on the ground to stop the ball, which he touched, but it rolled inside the net. This success had the effect of placing the home team on good terms with themselves, and for a few minutes longer they held the upper hand, Settle, and Sharp putting in some smart work. Gradually however, the United gained the upper hand, and at length gave the home team a taste of those qualities, which carried them to victory in the English Cup ties. After Hedley had missed from a fair opening, Priest and Gee forced corner kicks for their respective sides, but neither of these were improved upon. A pretty run by Priest and Almond was cleverly stopped by Molyneux, who was doing capital work. The United forwards had now pretty well got the measure of the Everton half-back's, and Balmer and Molyneux were kept busy. After Muir had saved from a spirited attack Hedley gained a fine opening, but was charged from behind when about to shoot, no notice being taken of the appeal for a penalty. A break away by Everton resulted in a goal-kick, and following this the United forward's dashed away at top speed, Priest narrowly missing scoring. Good work by Hedley left in Beers, who only just missed the mark with a capital effort. The Everton forwards next made a determined attempt to increase their lead, but the United defence remained steady, through three times in quick succession Needham cleared his lines when danger threatened. Moran, who had put in several grand centres, spoiled a promising attack by getting off-side, but as half-time drew near the United made desperate efforts to get on equal terms. After a brief spell of midfield play Muir had to handle from a shot by Almond, whilst Foulke cleared from Settle. Then occurred the best run that had been witnessed so far during the game. Priest, Almond and Hedley took the ball up in splendid style, and it was left to Beers to put on the finishing touch. Although hampered, the Stavely youth struck to the ball until he dispatched it safely past Muir into the net, the Everton custodian not having the slightest chance if saving. Only about a minute remaining before the interval, which arrived with the score one goal each. On re-commencing Priest at once went straight away for goal, and appeared to have a fine chance, but Molyneux dashed up, and the ball luckily cannoned off him and went for a corner. This was well placed, but eventually Needham shot over the bar. A minute later Beers gave Moran a fine pass, and the latter was only just wide with a fine shot. Play was then stopped owing to Needham being injured, but the United captain quickly resumed. Johnson was instrumental in stopping a dangerous rush by Everton, though at the expense of a corner kick, whilst immediately afterwards a fine centre by Sharp was missed by the other forwards. Foulkes handled a shot from Settle, whilst from another attack, Foulkes came out of goal and cleared. A beautiful bit of work by Boyle robbed Toman when he appeared certain to score, and from his return the United forwards went away in line, Beers finally testing Muir with a low cross shot which the latter just managed to get to, in time. Johnson next foiled Gee almost on the line, and then cleared from a crowd of players. A fast shot from Abbott cannoned back with great force off Thickett's body. A corner kick, fell to Everton in a rather peculiar manner, Sharp throwing the ball on to Boyle's head, from where it glanced over the goal-line. The corner kick, however, proved to the advantage of the visitors, who from this point made a well-sustained attack on the Everton goal. Priest once got clear of the backs, but unfortunately ran the ball out, whilst directly afterwards Needham dribbled down smartly, but was floored when about to shoot, an appeal for a penalty being negatived by the referee. Moran had been showing good form on the right wing, and several times tricked Taylor in fine style, and out in some fine centres and two or three capital shots, which caused the opposing defenders some trouble. A fast long shot by Boyle, of Everton, caused Foulke to tip the ball over the par, and again the ensuing corner there was a struggle in the United quarters Foulke eventually clearing, whilst a minute later the same custodian disposed of a gem from Settle. Two slight stoppages were caused by a player on either side getting damaged. Almond wrenching his knee. Two or three times the Everton forwards brought the ball up smartly, but were lamentably weak in front of goal and the United backs, though hard pressed, kicked and tackled fearlessly. Following a free kick against Everton, Beers and Hedley dribbled down, the first named giving Moran a beautiful chance. That player put in a grand shot, which Muir just managed to get to, the same custodian clearing also from Needham. However, the United would not be denied, and following a most determined attack Priest headed into goal finely, Muir hitting the ball as it passed the bar, but only succeeding in driving it on to the net work at the top. Thus, with only a few minutes to play, United were leading by two goals to one, but had the misfortune to lose the services of Almond, who was compelled to retire owing to his injured knee. Urged on by their supporters, Everton made desperate efforts to equalise, but although they appeared to have more than one good chance, they could not again get past the United defence, and a keen and interesting game ended in favour of the Sheffielders as follows: - Everton 1 goal, Sheffield United 2 goals . Teams: - Everton: - Muir, goal; Balmer and Molyneux, backs; Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Taylor, half-backs; J. Sharp, Settle, Toman, Abbott, and Gee forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulke, goal; Thickett and Boyle, backs; Johnson, Morren, and Needham, half-backs; Moran, Beers, Hedley, Almond, and Priest, forwards. Referee Mr. A. Scragg (Crewe).


Considering that this was the first match of the season, both teams may be said to have done well. The game was fast, keen, and interesting, and full of incidents. The Everton men began in a way, which boded ill for their opponents, who were a long time before they got going. Meantime the United defenders were found plenty of work, and it must be confessed that under the circumstances they did very well indeed. When the United did get into their stride the game was of a fairly even description. The utmost skill put forth by Everton was neutralised by the determination, plucky, and dash of their opponents, and the United are to be highly congratulated on their meritorious victory. For the winners Foulke gave a fine display, in goal, clearing with his old time skill and brilliance and may readily be forgive for the goal scored against him. Thickett got through any amount of hard work, and Boyle did some very smart things. The half-back's were all in good form, Needham showing excellent judgement after a rather indifferent start, being equally good in attack and defence. Morren greatly troubled Toman, and more than once rescued his side from an awkward predicument. Johnson though scarcely up to his best form, played a capital game Moran, though on the light side, improved as the game went on, and should prove a very useful man, some of his centres being real beauties Beers went the whole hour and half in good style, and had the distinction of scoring the first goal of the season for the United, and looks like getting a many more before the close. Hedley though scarcely keeping his wings together as well as usual, did very well, whilst Almond was unlucky in not scoring two or three times. Priest played, with any amount of dash, and is about up to his last year's standard. For Everton, Muir kept goal well, and Molyneux was the best of a hard working pair of backs. The half-backs were much the better in defence than attack, and did not render the forwards that assistance they had a right to expect, being deficient in feeding the front rank and backing up their efforts. The forwards are without doubt a fine lot, but their efforts were often spoiled through the fault just mentioned. At the same time, their shooting leaves something to be desired. EVERTON 1 SHEFFIELD UNITED 2 (Game 307)

September 4 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The approaches to the Everton ground on Saturday presented their wanted busy respect and the attendances at the inaugural game of the season must have numbered close upon 30,000. Last season's cup winners-Sheffield United-furnished the attraction and coming with the almost identical side that eventually had the better of the Liverpool club last season it could not be denied that they were formidable opponents for the newly organished Everton attack to deal with. Fortunately for the complete success of the game the weather cleared up beautifully, and the contest was waged under the best of conditions. Prompt to time the teams put in an appearance, and took up their positions as follows : - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Taylor (captain), halfbacks, Sharp, Settle Toman Abbott, and Gee forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes goal, Thicketts, and Boyle, backs Johnson, Morren, and Needham (captain), halfbacks Moran Beers, Hedley Almond, and Priest, forwards. On Everton losing the toss, they had to face the glaring sun, and the opening stages were slightly in favour of the United. A miskick on the part of Balmer was ably covered by Muir, and during the next few minutes there was some captial work shown by the home forwards which finally resulted in Abbott shooting behind. The play was fast and open, and though the United were the more dangerous, there were many fine passings by the Everton defenders that greatly delighted the hugh crowd. Sharp and Settle repeatedly put in good work and it was unfortunate that after one of the movements in which the pair played a prominent part. Gee should have been offside when a capital opening presented itself to notch the first goal of the season. A capitally judged shot from Boyle caused Foulkes to handle and a few minutes later Toman put through only to find the point disallowed for offside. A fine shot from gee, was kept out by the wary Foulkes, though a few minutes later the burly custodian did not get down in time to prevent a sharp low shot from Settle reaching the net, and the Evertonians thus led after play had been in progress seventeen minutes. Following this, the United forwards put plenty of dash into their work, and must have equalised but for the capable custodianship of Muir, who cleared from Beers and Moran under very difficult conditions. From a free kick against Wolstenholmes, close to the Everton goal, there were prospects of the game being again contested on even terms, but Priest was at fault with the final touch, and a further opportunity to equalise was lost by Beers. At the other end a fine shot from Settle was kept out, but on the interval drawing near Needham made play on the United left and this eventually resulted in beers having the Everton goal at his mercy with the result that at halftime the score stood one goal each. Immediately on resuming the visiting forwards made tracks for the Everton goal, Wolstenholmes was fortunate in checking Priest at the expense of a corner. The ball was quickly at the other end, and with Foulkes out his goal the United were lucky in not having a leading point record against them. Settle being just a trifle wide of the mark. A smart pick up by Muir from Beers was the next item, and following a further attack, Balmer pluckily saved his line, after Molyneux had been beaten by Moran. At this juncture the Blades were undoubtedly in a most dangerous mood, for time after time the defence were kept extended to their best form. Eventually the right wing made progress and Boyle put in a couple of dropping shots that required the best of attention from Foulkes. A terrific shot from Settle was also kept out, and following a spell of pressure, during which the Evertonians fully deserved to score, the United bore down and Muir, after saving a trio of shots in quick succession was at length beaten by Priest. The remainder of the game was keenly contested, but there was no further scoring, and the result stood, Everton 1 goal, Sheffield United 2



September 4 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

AT Astley Bridge. The home side got to work but nothing resulted, and Schofield at the other end sent in a splendid shot, but without success. Neither side had any advantage and at the interval nothing had been scored. The Reserves was now overplaying the Wanderers, but could not score. Briscoe and his backs defending stoutly. Duckworthy cleared after Briscoe was beaten. Kitchen saved finely from Hulmes, and at last Blythe scored for Everton who won by one goal to nil. (Game 1) Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Sharp, and Crelly, backs, Murphy, Eccles, Blythe, halfbacks, Marquis, Roche (w), Oldham, Gray, and Schofield, forwards.



September 4 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

Glorious weather favoured the opening of the football season in Liverpool, though in other districts less favourable conditions prevailed, for instance, at Stoke where where a drenching shower added discomfort to the assembled thousands. At Goodison Park everything appeared in tip top conditions, and the excellent appointed enclosure was at its best, surrounding by an eager and expected crowd numbering fully 25,000 souls. No greater proof of the strong hold football has gained over the sympathies of the sport loving public could be furnished than the sight on the Everton ground. For the opening of the local season no better attraction that a visit from the cup holders could have been desired. The excelling tussles with Liverpool in the penultimate round of the National cup tournament last season, readily re-appeared in one's mind, and when the famous red and whites bounded on the turf amidst encouraging cheers, one could almost imagine that the four months intervention during which cricket held away had never really occurred, and that the Blades were merely continuing their season of 98-99. With one exception the old familiar forms were these the mighty Foulkes and the ubiquitous Needham, with Thickett Beers, and with but one exception all the individuals who brought fame and renown to the cutlery capital at the close of last winter. On the Everton side, no difference in the defence was noticeable, but the forwards had undergone considerable alteration from the quintet that had done duty in the previous season. To a great extent uncertainly is bound to prevail as to the doings of a team in the initial venture of the year and with practically an unchanged combination the Blades held a great advantage over their opponents. The outside right Moran, who formerly played with Celtic club, superseded Bennett and this was the only new figure in the team. However, Everton displayed sufficient skill and agility in the first quarter of an hour to effectually exhilarate their supporters, the combination of the front rank being excellent and the marksmanship sufficient to keep the United custodian continually on the q uievive. The result of the pressure was that Settle had the honour of scoring the first goal of the season, for though Foulkes fell full length in his endeaour to stop the ball, he was scarcely quick enough to prevent it going into the net. This was just the sort of stimulus the Sheffield team required, and bearing down in full strength on the home goal, they repeatedly overcame the defence opposed to them with the exception of Muir, who dealt skillfully with some very awkward shots, but about a minute from the interval, Beers, who was ever on the ball found the net from close range, giving the Everton custodian no chance whatever. In the second half United improved as the game progressed, whilst Everton forwards missed several chances of regaining the lead by hesitancy in front of goal. Eventually a sprightly spunt from Moran- one of many indulged in by this clever artist during the half-led to Muir's downfall for the second time, Priest doing the trick this time, and Everton despite many creditable efforts, had to acknowledge defeat in the first of their home engagements. Defeat at home is not an auspicious commencement for any club, nevertheless. Everton have little cause for being downhearted concerning the issue of their first encounter. Sufficient was shown by the front rank to make clear that there is likely to be little cause for dissatisfaction in this department of the team, and a little more steadiness in front of goal might have altered the result of their initial game. The wings were smart shape showing a nine turn of speed and Gee being miles ahead of the last years doings, whilst the inside men well supported them, with the exception of the deficiency aforementioned. There were occasional weaknessed discernible in the defence which, however may in future games be remedied, for in a first match accuracy on scarely be expected. Wolstenholmes kept the Sheffield left wing well under control, and both Boyle, and Taylor readered useful services despite occasional faulty placings, which latter in a matter of such importance to a halfback. Molyneux had a particularly warm task on hand with Moran and Beers, and both goals were the result of clever work by the pair. Both custodians rendered excellent services, and could not be held accountable for any of the shots that scored, while they kept out numerous others in a manner sufficient to guarantee future confidence. Coming to the visitors, the same indomitable perseverance appeared to pervade their movements, the same steady plodding and great heartedness of effort, which has characterised their doings in previous years. They appeared at their best when a goal in arrears, and they don't seem to have the word defeat in their vocabulary. Thickett was in rare trim and the halves, gallantly led by Needham, who was at half, forward, and backs as occasion required, led up to all manner of attacks. The forwards were always eager for work, and made the most of their opportunities. The right wing was most aggressive, but the whole line worked with energy and determination, which will test the defence of the best organisations. For an opening game there was plenty of good football shown of a class which the spectators takes pleasure in witnessing, and the cupholders deserved their victory, which was well fought forward cleverly obtained.



September 11 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team in charge of Mr.Molyneux and accompanied by Messrs Bainbridge, Davies, and Keates, left Liverpool on Friday morning for the North, and took up their headquarters at Tynemouth, which has much in commend itself as a watering place. Entraining at noon on Saturday to Newcastle, there was a great influx of visitors, and on arrival at the ground of the United club there would be quite 25,000 spectators present, while the turnstiles were still merrily going. It was a record attendance for St.James Park, and though there was a stiff breeze, a capital exposition of the game was anticipated. At three o'clock the sides took up their positions as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Taylor (captain), halfbacks, Sharp Settle, Toman, Abbott and Gee forwards. Newcastle United: - Kingsley, goal, Lindsay and Gardner, backs, Ghee, Higgins, and Artken, halfbacks, Wardrope, Niblo, Peddie, McFarlane, and Fraser, forwards. The ground has been considerably improved upon since last season, though there is still a district slope from end to end. The home side won the toss and had this to favour them, while in addition a strong breeze gave them further assistance. The home side got clean away from the start, and when favorably placed. Wardrope was given offside a similar ruling falling to Gee at the other end shortly afterwards. The United forwards showed nice combination, and following a lengthy kick by Lindsay supplemented with a smart pass by Higgins the outside right tested Muir with a splendid shot, which the custodian saved at the expense of a fruitless corner. Play for some time hovered dangerously around the visitors goal, but eventually Toman led on a movement which Sharp look up, and the venue was changed to the home goal, where Ghee stepped across and prevented a parting shot at Kingsley. Still keeping up the advantage, the United forwards, most assiduously fed by their halves, were a source of great anxiety to the Everton defenders, and only by the close attention from Boyle and strong kicking of Balmer prevented early disaster. Returning again, Fraser only just missed the mark with a clinking shot, and still keeping up the pressure a determined attack ended in Peddie shooting in, Balmer was in the way, but Niblo met the rebound and put the ball past Muir, play having been in progress twenty-three minutes. Getting to work again, the home forwards still maintained the upper hand, and it was only at odd intervals that there was any inroad on the United defence. Another return to the Everton half resulted in Aitkens sending in a swift low shot, which Muir did not forcibly clear, and on Peddie rushing up a second goal was registered. No further scoring was done up to half time, when the record stood- United 2 goals Everton nil. On resuming Everton had now the advantage of wind and slope, and at once took up a dangerous position though they were rarely allowed to get in a parting shot at Kingsley. On one occasion, however Boyle was near the mark with a high dropping shot and following this Gee forced a corner of Gardner. The Everton left at this juncture looked like reducing the lead, for after several capital sprints by the outside man, the ball was put to Abbott, who had a clear opening, but failed to get his toe to the ball. At the other end, Fraser was just a Trifle wide of the mark from a pass by Peddie, and for some few minutes play was fairly well divided. Again Boyle had a pop at goal, and just missed while in close following Settle put in some of the best shots of the match this being slightly wanting in direction. The home defence held out splendidly and nothing further being scored the game ended in favour of the United by 2 goals to nil.



September 11 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park, before a good gate. The ‘'Recs'' kicked off, but Everton attacked, and Gordon just missed with a grand shot. Twice afterwards Hunt saved the ‘'Recs'' goal cleverly. At length the ‘'Recs'' broke away and looked like scoring, but Crelly relieved just in time and then Everton were on the attack again the visitor's goal having two marvelous escapes. A minute later Schofield scored for Everton, who afterwards did nearly all the pressing. For a time the defence prevailed. Roche put in a another goal after a capital bit of forward play by the home forwards. The visitors wakened up a little and raided the home quarters, but failed to break through the defence. Just before the interval Hunt saved thrice in succession. Half time Everton 2 goals Helens nil. On resuming the game was much more evenly contested. Gray scored a third goal for Everton and Oldham shortly afterwards scored a fourth. The rest of the play was in favour of Everton, and Marquis added another point, and Everton winning by 5 goals to nil. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles and Crelly, backs, Murphy, Gordon, and Blythe, halfbacks, Marquis, Roche (w) Oldham, Gray, and Schofield forwards.


September 11, 1899. Glasgow Herald.

The game between Newcastle United and Everton on the ground of the former was, perhaps, the most interesting of the League fixture. A week ago Newcastle United held their own at West Bromwich Albion, while Everton lost at home to Sheffield United. The contest excited an enormous amount of interest, fully 25,000 people being in the ground. Everton kick-off, and for some minutes play was fast, and of a very even description. The United then pressed hard and gained several corners. After 20 minutes Niblo kicked a fine goal for Newcastle United. Shortly before the interval Everton forced several corners, but all to no purpose Pedie then scored another goal for Newcastle United, who led at half-time by two goals to none. On resuming Newcastle United had the sun in their faces, and were subjected to a rather severe pressure by the Everton forwards. They were met by a sound defence, however, and very soon the Newcastle United men returned to the attack, Niblo and Peddie each nearly scoring towards the close Everton had the best of matters, but Kingsley proved a splendid goalkeeper and kept out everything. Nothing more was scored and Newcastle United won by two goals to none.



September 11 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

In marked contrast to the United the Everton front rank appeared to have taken the field without having entered upon any definite plan of campaign, and in the first portion, when struggling against adverse conditions, there was not a single movement of even average merit. This is something new in the performances of teams that have represented the Everton club, for when facing great odds, their supporters could generally rely upon them giving a good account of themselves. Much of their failure was due to the weak centre forward play by Toman, who exhibited that quality of go headedness in a very slight degree. In the struggle for possession he invariably came off second best and even when well placed his passes were so erratic that it required the best efforts of his confreres to secure them. Abbott appeared to be altogether out of the running and but for the improved play of Gee, especially in the second half of the game, when by his clever centres he opened out more than one chance of scoring the left wing must have been voted a district failure. There can be no questioning the fact that the club have a capable quintet at command for that was demonstrated quite clearly in the opening match of the season, and all that is required to make their work solid, bot in aim and character, is more definite understanding between them, such as that which was shown on the previous Saturday. It was not until a quarter of an hour from time that they caused the Novocastrians any real anxiety and in this period they certainly deserved to reduce the margin against them. Much good work by the halves went abegging, and as a consquenence they were kept well employed all through the game. No exception could be taken to their display under the circumstances, as while Boyle and Wolstenholmes got through the heavy work, which devolved upon them, Taylor certainly played an improved game, and much of his good work was only lost by the vagaries of the sloping ground. Apart from a lack of greater dash upon the part of Molyneux, the work of the back division was all that could be desired, and there is the same item to record of Muir viz, that he accomplished all that came his way with consummate skill, thorough some maintained that the second disaster might have been averted. The Newcastle eleven worked upon definite lines, and having choice of ends they spared no effort in at once taking full advantage of their position. When comfortably leading by a couple of goals their tactics tended only naturally more in the direction of defence than attack, though it was rather unsportmanlike to allow the ball to roll down the slope out of play when there was absolutely no danger of loss. Wasting time was the forte of Lindsay, the ex-Evertonian, but apart from this he played a sterling game, as also did his confreres Gardner and behind this pair Kingsley, though not greatly hampered, got away dangerous shots from Settle and the outside men. There was a capital understanding between the halves and forwards and though Aitkens best represented the trio by reason of his clever tackling and correct placing, Higgins was a close second, the latter player being mainly responsible for the complete discomfiture of the Everton forwards. The wingmen, Wardrope and Fraser were speedy and resourceful, and altogether the line combined well and made the most of the opportunities that came their way. The game was contested in the most pleasant spirit, all through and the observantly could begrudged full points to the home players.



September 12 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

J Taylor's Benefit match

There was a gathering of about 2,500 spectators at Goodison Park last evening to witness the contest between the above teams. The occasion had been set apart for the benefit of J.Taylor the popular skipper of the Everton team, whose association with his club has extended over a period of five seasons during which time he has always been a thoroughly consistent player. Unfortunately for the complete success of the fixture the weather was of a threatening character but private subscription are expected to swell the funds to a good round sum. The side that represented Everton included five players who have not so far this season participated in League football, and a glance through the list of the appended names on the Glossop stole will call to memory several former players who have been associated with the clubs of this district. A few minutes before six o'clock the sides took the field as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen, goal Sharp (b), and Molyneux, backs Wolstenholmes, Gordon and Taylor (captain), halfbacks Sharp (j), Crighton, Proudfoot, Abbott and Gee forwards. Glossop: - Williams, goal, Rothwell, and McEwan backs, Colville, Killean and McCosh, halfbacks Gallacher (w) Connichan, Beswick Monks and Gallagher forwards.

Everton commenced operations and had the better of the opening play. Their forwards were keen on the ball, though they were opposed by a resolute band of defenders, of whom Colville at right half showed capital play in this respect. The Glossop rightwing pair put in several neat touches, but there was no breaking through the Everton defenders, and following several raids on the part of the home van, Abbott who had often tested the crutodian sent in a low swift shot which resulted in the opening of the scoring account. Kitchen was rarely troubled, and at half time Everton led by a goal to nil. Two half hours had been decided upon, and the players quickly resumed. As in the initial moiety the Everton forwards were the more aggressive though they met with stern opposition from Killean Colville and Rothwell. Williams dexterously saved a terrific shot from Abbott at the expense of a corner, and a swift one into the net followed this, by Gordon, who thus placed his side two goals ahead. The Glossop rightwing were again in evidence, but the side as a whole had fallen away considerably, and most of the play was contested in their half. Towards the close, however, Kitchen was troubled on more than one occasion, Beswick and Mccosh putting the clever shots that required the best efforts of the Evertonians to deal with. Following an attempt on the part of J.Sharp to get through, the Derbyshire team returned to the attack, and Colville, the right halfback who all along had played a capital game, put in a long shot which kitchen kept out with a flying kick. Towards the close of play was evenly divided and no further scoring taking place Everton won by 2 goals to nil.



September 18 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of the Villa to the Liverpool district is always productive of a stir in football circles, and that of Saturday was no exception to the rule, for the attendance at Goodison park numbered close upon 30,000. On the home side there were two enforced changes owing to injuries at Newcastle to Muir and Settle, and places were thus vacant fort Kitchen and Proudfoot while in the Villa team, Evans displaced Aston at full back. At four o'clock the teams faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Molyneux backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Taylor (captain), halfbacks, Sharp, Proudfoot, Toman, Abbott, and Gee. Forwards. Aston Villa: - George, goal, Evans, and Spencer, backs, Bowman, Cowan, and Crabtree, halfbacks, Athersmith, Devey, Garrity, Wheldon, and Smith, forwards. Everton won the toss, and the first item of any moment came from the home right. Proudfoot eventually running the ball over the line, and from the goal kick, Smith forced a corner to no advantage two similar concessions to Everton immediately afterwards also proving of no avail. A few minutes later Gee was ruled offside when in fine position for scoring, and following some clever passing between the Villa inside men and halfbacks. Wheldon sent in a dropping shot which only just missed the mark. Then followed some fine concerted play by the Everton forwards which culminated in Abbott having a clear opening to score, but failing badly, the Villa signalised their escape by bearing strongly down in Kitchen's charge, the custodian having twice to leave his post in order to kick out shots from the left wing. A further ended by Athersmith centering splendidly, and Wheldon getting his head to the ball put it to the keeper, who got it away; but the appeal the referee allowed a goal after consulting one of the linesman who, however, was not in a position to give accurate judgement on this point. There was evidently a doubt about the legality of the point, but unfortunately the defending side did not get the benefit of it which, apparently they well deserved. Play slackened considerably though on one occasion Gee raced down splendidly and Toman was only a trifle wide with the shot. For some time the Everton forwards put plenty of dash into their play and the Villa backs and custodian were kept fully extended to their best form. Success was however denied them until close on the arrival of the interval when Toman took a pass from Proudfoot after a splendid run by Sharp, and racing round the opposing backs equalised, the score at the change of ends being Everton 1 goal, Aston Villa 1. On resuming; play again favoured Everton and George was fortunate in saving a splendid shot from Toman. Pressure was steadily levelled on the Villa goal though there was no defeating the backs, who covered each other in splendid fashion, Spencer in particular showing capital judgement in this respect. It was not until the second half was well advanced that the visiting forwards were anything like in a dangerous mood, and then they were invariably thwarted by the fine tackling and clean kicking of Balmer and Molyneux. The halfbacks however, were not over resourceful-a defect which lost the side considerable headway, and possibly a goal-and following several failures to score close in, the Villa replied with a spurt on the right wing which led to Garrity obtaining a leading point. Gee put in many splendid centres, but they went begging, and later on the whole side struggled hard to get upon equal terms, but the Villa were not inclined to leave anything to chance and directed all their emergies towards covering their goal. No further scoring was forthcoming, and on the play the Villa were lucky in receiving a victory.



September 18 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

No details. Everton: - not known goal, Eccles and Crelly backs, Sharp Gordon, and Blythe halfbacks, Marquis, Roche (w), Oldham, Gray, and Schofield, forwards.



September 18 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

To be defeat in their first trio of League games is an unusual experience for the Everton club, and one which furnishes food for reflection on the curiosities of football, and Everton have or are at least supposed to possess a superior team to that which did duty last year, but if judged by results, a vastly different state of affairs is witnessed. Each of the three teams that has taken full points from Goodison Park eleven this season, failed to extract more than one the previous year, for the cup holders were beaten, a draw was record in the Villa match, and this was likewise the result of the visit to Newcastle. A better style of play has been witnessed but the result have been worse than was ever anticipated and not a point yet grace Everton's name in the League table, where from the same source last season four were secured. To a certain extent however the spectators must have been satisfied with the display of the Evertonians, for, if not producing the much needed points, the play all round has been of a higher level, and productive of the amount of healthy interest, in which the average spectators delights. Had the points followed likewise, the satisfaction would have been of course more prounced, but these are bound to come if the team maintain the same standard as that exhibited against the Villa. By again selecting the same team to do duty against the champions as that which was defeated in the two previous games, the selection committee deserve commendation, for it is only right that the men should have a fair chances o showing what they are really capable of accomplishing in concert. Injuries to Muir and Settle at Newcastle compelled the substitution of Kitchen and Proudfoot respectively whilst on the Villa side Evans resumed in place of Aston. The game itself was much better contested in the first half than in the second, both sides appearing to tire after the interval. The Everton forwards were seen to considerable advantage in the initial moiety working the ball down in capital style, and exhibiting more combined effort than in any previous games this season. here however, their skill vanished. And instead of crowning their attempts with a rousing shot at goal they failed completely either being dispossessed when attempting an extra pass where a shot would have been more effective, or shooting anywhere except in the vicinity of George and on two district occasions was a practically open goal place before them, only to find the ball sent yards wide. Had the Everton forwards shown any degree of accuracy in front of the posts they must have been credited with three goals at the interval instead of one. It was a district disappointment to the majority of the spectators to find clever work in midfield nullified by utter feebleness in front of goal. The Villa front rank did not exhibit their usual smartness they failed into the method of over passing, and though their cleverness in this respect often elicited admiration, there was not the same advantage gained by these manceurves as is seen when the midlanders are in a happy mood. They often had the ball taken from them, and with a more efficient halfbacks division in opposition would have often been in sore straits. For a long time Athersmith could do nothing with Molyneux, but given half a chance, the right winger made the most of his opportunity. In contring judiciously, so as to give his inside men the best possible opening for a goal. Athersmith has no superior, and the manner in which he placed the ball straight to the cranium of Wheldon, who put on the first goal, was really fine. He also led up to the second point, though here feeble defence on the part of Taylor and Molyneux lent considerable assistance to the final accomplishment. Smith rarely got a chance in the first half owing to the indefatigable attentions of Wolstenholmes, but in the second he obliged with some sprinting and extremely clever centres. The outside wingers were the pick of the Villa forward line. As a body they were inferior to the Everton van, but in this important respect they were vastly ahead, namely in provoking danger when near goal. The Everton halves were not satisfactory, for though little fault could be found with Wolstenholmes who had the felicity of contributing the finest shot of the day-one which deserved to score-Boyle and Taylor might easily have afforded their front rank more assistance, their passes being illjudged, and occasioning too much difficulty in pouncing upon them top those in front. Here the Villa held a district advantage Crabtree, Cowan and Bowman rendering excellent service though the former, in the first half particularly had his hands full with young Sharp. Further behind, Balmer and Molyneux shaped well, the latter tackling in splendid style the greater part of the game, and it was unfortunate that he failed to check Garrity from butting in the shot which won the match. Otherwise little fault could be found with either of the backs whilst Kitchen was a success between the upright the manner in which he stopped one shot from Devey in the second half being really fine. Everton are indeed fortunate in possessing two such reliable custodians as Muir and Kitchen. The Villa defence was likewise sound, Spencer overshadowing his partner Evans by his all-round skill, tackling and returning most cleverly. George had practically nothing to do in goal beyond stopping a couple of shots possessing little sting and appeared only too glad to get a touch of the ball by running out to prevent it from going behind the line. A draw game would have been a fitter representation of the run of the play, and Everton deserve some little commiseration for their hard luck. They like their rivals at Anfield cannot yet boast a point, but wily nilly, one or other will be compelled next weekend to change the elegant cypher which graces their name to something more substantial.


September 21, 1899. Glasgow Herald.

Meetings between these great rivals are always full of interest, and this game at Anfield road, Liverpool, proved no exception to the rule, quite 25,000 people assembling to watch the play. The weather, however, was against good football, a boisterous wind interfering with the game a lot. Having the advantage of the wind during the opening portion of the contest, Everton set up a vigorous attack on their opponents goal, and at last Taylor scored for them amidst great cheering. The enthusiasm over this, however, had hardly subsided hen the Liverpool men dashed away, and with a capital shot Robertson made matters level. Even play followed until half-time, and the teams crossed over each with a goal to their credit. On resuming Liverpool took up the attack with great vigour. But though they subjected their opponents to a very severe pressure, they were unable to get pass the defence. Then a clever piece of work by the Everton forwards resulted in the ball being taken to the other end, and Settle scored an excellent goal. Ply was transferred to midfield after this, and both side's made strenuous efforts to get another goal. Liverpool, however, could not draw level, and thus Everton won a fine match by two goals to one.



September 25 1899. The Liverpool Mercury

Although the weather was of the most threatening character on Saturday, it had little influence on the enthusiasm of followers of the game, for the enclosure at Anfield road, the venue of the first of the meetings of the local rivals was comfortably packed for there would be quite 25,000 spectators present during the progress of the game. The Liverpool executive were not able to command their full strength owing to injuries to players, and the wholesale changes in the Everton front line occasioned something of a mild surprise among their followers. With but one exception-Toman the vanguard underwent complete changes, and to the surprise of those who had followed the fortune of the club since the opening of the season, the non inclusions of Gee in the team was subject of general conversation. In the first three games he certainly was the most effective forward, and, as subsequent event turned out, the decision of the selection committee was not warrantable. Half an hour before the advertised time of commencing operations the ground was comfortably filled with an eager band of spectators, and on the teams putting in an appearance and facing as follows, they were greeted with a tremendous outburst of applause: - Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, Goldie (a) and Dunlop, backs, Howell, Raisbeck, and Goldie (w) halfbacks, Cox, Parkinson, Wilson, Morgan, and Robertson forwards. Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer and Molyneux, backs, Wolstenholmes Boyle, and Blythe, halfbacks, Taylor (captain) Sharp, Toman Settle, and Schofield, forwards. A strong breeze blew from goal to goal, and as the Everton skipper had been fortunate enough to secure the choice of ends, it could not be denied that his side had secured a material advantage. This was simply demonstrated in the first few minutes of the game, during which settle only just missed heading into goal by the merest shave from a free kick this being followed by a stern pressure, which was eventually relieved by A.Goldie. A capital movement on the Liverpool right was eventually checked by Balmer, who, with a hugh kick transferred play close to the Liverpool line, where a tussle between the rival captains resulted in the Liverpool skipper being hors de combat for a few minutes. Getting to work again Schofield just missed the mark, and Toman followed with a shot, which Perkins attended to in most skilful fashion. The Liverpool forwards, failing to keep the ball low against the strong breeze, were rarely seen to advantage, and play for the greater part was monopolised by the Everton forwards, who at this juncture were receiving splendid support from the halfbacks. Sharp eventually tried a long shot, which was about to pass under the bar when Perkins cleverly tipped it over, and a similar effort from the centre a few minutes later only just the mark. Everton continued to have all the play, but many attempts to score were nonplussed by the home defenders of whom the custodian and Dunlop were the principal mainstays. A free kick against Wilson close in looked ominous for Liverpool, but this was cleared, though matters were again threatening, as the Evertonians secured a trio of corner kicks, Boyle making a bad attempt at the third, which was capitally placed by Taylor. A long kick by Blythe found A.Goldie at fault. The latter player had plenty of time to return the ball, but dailying he paid the penalty, as Taylor pounced upon him and securing the ball shot it into the net without giving Perkins any chance of saving play having been in progress close upon half an hour. This success was greeted with tremendous cheering by the Everton contingent, and there were prospects of this lead being increased directly afterwards, as Settle and Toman were in complete possession, only to find their final efforts at fault. For the second time since the commencement of the game the Liverpool forwards got within measurable distance of the Everton goal, but the movement was rendered useless on Morgan lying offside. Hands against Sharp brought them further advantage and from the free kick Robertson raced through the backs and scored, thus being the result of the third movement towards the Everton goal. Excitement now ran high with the teams once again on level terms and for some little time the Liverpoolians were seen to much better advantage. Everton came again and Settle should have scored. At this juncture Taylor went inside right, and a steady pressure was levelled at the home goal Raisebeck on one occasion faultily heading it, which required Perkins best efforts to prevent downfall. However nothing further was scored upto half-time, when the record stood Liverpool 1 goal, Everton 1. With the wind now in favour of Liverpool, and practically commencing afresh, their supporters expected much from them and during the initial stage the movements of their favorites certainly pointed to ultimate success. Parkinson forced a corner at the outside, but little lattitude was allowed by their opponents, and in a trice the play was at the other end, where Taylor missed a capital opening to tale the lead. A free kick against Toman close in was threatening,. But again the final effort was at fault, and following a misdirected shot by Taylor Cox followed suit when a more favorable opening was presented him. Liverpool were now having the better of matters, and Muir nearly mulled a low shot from Wilson, and as the Everton vanguard were not working saiisfactoryily together Taylor changed place with Settle, the result of which greatly improved the line as the ex-Burtite had received little or no assistance from Schofield. There were 20 minutes left for play, and success appeared to crown the efforts of the Evertonians when Settle was unfortunately ruled offside. Not to be denied, however, this player immediately afterwards secured the ball from Taylor, and clashing between the backs sent in a last low shot which Perkins failed to reach the score being now two goals to one in favour of Everton with about twelve minutes to play. A free kick against Taylor, resulted in Robertson receiving a smart pass from Parkinson and his shot only just missed the mark, and with a view to further forcing the game, Taylor, who all through had worked in indomitable fashion, went centre forward. Twice the Everton skipper took the ball to close quarters and shot hard only to find Perkins showing excellent defensive powers, and when the end came none could deny the superiority of the Evertonians who thoroughly deserved victory.

September 25 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
At Goodison park. Everton turned out a strong team, B.Sharp, Abbott, and Gee were included. Leaver stated for the Wanderers, who had the best of the opening work. Subsequently Everton had the best of the play, but notwithstanding two free kicks close in and corner, they failed to beat Shuttleworth. Them the Wanderers attacked, and with Kitchen out of goal, Carr had an easy chance of scoring, but failed. Everton were erratic in front of goal and lost several opportunities. Close upon the interval Oldham scored the first goal, with a capital shot. Everton continued to have the best of matters up to the interval, when the score stood Everton 1 Bolton nil. On resuming Everton were soon in front, Sharp scoring with a quick shot that took Shuttleworth by surprise. Again the ball was rushed though but the referee disallowed the goal. Bolton made occasional bursts, and Kitchen saved several shots and Everton won by 2 goals to nil. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Eccles and Crelley, backs, Sharp, Gordon, and Murphy halfbacks, Marquis, Roche, Oldham, Asbbott and Gray forwards .

Everton defeat Liverpool at Anfield
by ‘The Free Critic’
Monday, September 25 – 1899 Athletic News
A few years ago Everton declined to meet their successors at Anfield Road, but the Liverpool people by their plucky and determined efforts gained a position in the First Division of the League, and Everton were of course, bound to play them.  They did so successfully, and then Liverpool were again relegated to the Second Division, but once more came out at the top, and had to meet Everton again. But success did not attend their efforts, and Everton were able to do a little crow all to themselves. Last year matters were somewhat different, for Liverpool won both matches.  The present season has not progressed vert far, but the two clubs were on a pretty even footing, for neither had won a match up to Saturday, and this ill-fortune did not suit the average Liverpudlian, who likes, and has a right, to see his own particular team win at home, for in the matter of transfer fees alone both clubs have spent a small fortune.  Recently, Everton have favoured the English article, and Saturday’s team contained but three Scotsmen – Taylor, Boyle, and Muir. Liverpool have also gone in for the home-bred product, and five out of the even claim England as their birthplace.  They would probably have felt better satisfied had Allan and Walker been able to take their places, and the absence of these two men went a long wat towards the defeat which they sustained. The Everton selection committee of five have had a rocky voyage so far, and on Saturday made what might be termed drastic changes by placing Taylor outside right, thereby introducing Blyth, of Jarrow, at half-back, and putting Settle inside left, with Sharp inside right. They were justified, and at the conclusion of the match evidently thought so, but in the meantime Taylor had changed his forwards about, for himself went inside right, then inside left, and both Settle and Sharp resumed their original position.  But under present conditions, both teams may be said to be representative, and they turned out in the following order: –Liverpool. – Bill Perkins, goal; Archie Goldie and Billy Dunlop, backs; Rab Howell, Alex Raisbeck, and William Goldie, half-backs; John Cox, Jack Parkinson, Charlie Wilson, Hugh Morgan, Tom Robertson, forwards.
Everton. – Willie Muir, goal; William Balmer and George Molyneux, backs; Sam Wolstenholme, Dickie Boyle, and Joe Blyth, half-backs; Jack Taylor, Jack Sharp, Wilf Toman, Jimmy Settle, and Alf Schofield, forwards.  Referee: Mr. Scragg.  Everton were successful in winning the toss, and this carried with it a bit of sun, and a lot of wind. But I don’t think Everton made the of their luck. So far as pressing went, the most pessimistic supporter they possess could not grumble, but Perkins was not troubled as he ought to have been, and it the Everton forwards displayed what may be termed finesse of a high standard, they did not make for goal as one would like.  Of course, Dunlop and Goldie were waiting to prevent them doing so, but there was an absence of dash, or devil, or what you care to call it. Perkins, however, made several very clever saves, and is a young man who may be trusted to look after the Liverpool goal. Once or twice he had some very difficult customers to account for, and with about three exceptions Muir watched the battle from afar, so to speak.  Everton scored the first goal, but it was owing to a piece of bad play on the part of Goldie, the back, who was not sufficiently resourceful, and placed the ball right at the foot of Taylor, who, in his determined manner, took full advantage of Goldie’s mistake, and opened the scoring 25 minutes from the start. As a result his right arm ran a serious risk of being dislocated. It was a good goal in its way, but many previous efforts have been quite as much entitled to reward.  Up to now, the Liverpool forwards had not displayed tactics of an aggressive order, but a goal against them seemed to rouse up matters, and Robertson got away very dangerously when, in my humble opinion, he was office – one of the few mistakes I though Mr. Scragg made in an admirable afternoon’s work – but immediately afterwards the Liverpool left outside gentleman ran away on his own, and, alluding his opponents, scored a very clever goal. Like Taylor, he was the recipient of a wholesale hand-shaking, and he certainly merited it, for it was a capital individual effort.
To be on an equal footing at half-time, with the wind in their favour, looked exceedingly good business for Liverpool, but Everton proved to be what in Scottish vernacular is dubbed “dour,” and soon made it perfectly clear that they had not given up hopes of winning. The half-backs kept the ball down, and the forwards also favoured ground work. It is surprising to me how teams will adopt the same style with the wind as against it. Surely any man with brains knows the difference between playing with a breeze and fighting it!  I would not care to go so far as to say that our modern footballer is not in possession of brain power, but, as a rule, he certainly does not use it.
On Saturday, Taylor and his partners showed discernment of a high standard, and won. They pressed Liverpool much more than Liverpool had pressed Everton, and fully deserved the goal they obtained. It was a single-handed effort on the part of Settle, who had been doing nothing in particular except watching the movements of the other fellows with an apparently keen interest.
By this time the International had been removed to the right wing, and he got the ball, coolly worked it past the backs, ran in, and, never losing control of it for a single second, landed in front of Perkins, and quite unofficially, as it were, placed the ball safely inside the net. It was one of Settle’s master-pieces, but I am bound to say it was one of a very few bits of International form he displayed throughout the afternoon. For an hour out of the hour and a half he appears to think he is James Settle, the International forward. Probably this is satisfactory enough to James Settle, but it would hardly suit me if I were manager of a club with which James Settle happened to be engaged.
However, to get back to the game. Liverpool tried hard to equalise, but without effect, and Everton were left winners by two goals to one. Bearing in mind the unpleasantness in time gone by between the two clubs, it was exceedingly agreeable for an outsider to note the sportsmanlike manner in which defeat was accepted and victory received. We had quite a nice little gathering of the rival clans after the match, and no unparliamentarily language was used. Indeed, the only toast proposed was that of the losers.
On the field the players are as keen as ever, but once off both players and officers are the best of friends. There is not the slightest reason why this feeling should not exist. Without doubt, the better team won. In the first half the Everton goal-keeper was seldom troubled, whilst in the second Perkins had pretty nearly as many shots to stop as Muir. Perkins could not be blamed, for he made some very clever saves, and had no chance with the two shots which scored.  Dunlop was badly injured in the first half, but pluckily kept on, and it was not his fault that his team lost. Goldie played well, even if he did lose the first goal. But the Liverpool team is not what it was twelve months ago. They possess two fine and speedy extreme wings in Cox and Robertson, but as a team they fail. There is not that cohesion in their movements which one expects. For a start, Wilson is not a centre forward, and the whole lot seem to work badly together, whilst the half-backs feed them badly.  Raisbeck was in poor form – for him – and did a lot of unnecessary rushing about, whilst the half-backs as a trio were not combined, and when they had the wind in their favour failed to utilize it. I don’t think the Everton team is up to the standard of say Aston Villa, but it is a very servable one, and will be much nearer the top than the bottom when we come to calculations next April.   Balmer, at back, is a very determined gentleman, and he has a good partner, whilst no fault can possibly be found with Muir in goal. At half, they are strong, for “Dicky Boyle in the centre is always knocking about, and it would be difficult to find two more promising youths than Blyth, of Jarrow, and Wolstenholme, of Bolton. Both are well built lads, and possess more than a common or garden knowledge of the game.
The forwards are the weakest part of the team, and I should say keep Taylor amongst them. It does not matter a great deal where, but let him remain there. I have often seen him score goals single-handed, and although as a general rule this is not an accomplishment conducive to the success of a team, the present Everton forwards require something of the sort to waken them up.
I say this in the face of what they did on Saturday, when they were streets in front of Liverpool so far as dash was concerned. The Liverpool men might also do worse than remember that there are goalposts, and that clever individual work on the part of the forwards is sometimes made to look very small indeed by energetic half-backs from Jarrow and other remote places.

September 25 1899. The Liverpool Mercury
The great match at Anfield between the elect of Liverpool and Everton ended disastrously for the home club, and enabled their rivals to regain some of the honours that were so ruthlessly torn from their grasp last season. Nothing stimulates the sporting instinct more than a pitched battle between two clubs of the same city or district, for each orgasation boasts its enthusiastic supporters, who for weeks prior to the actual contest have carried on a wordy warfare, quite as exciting and much more satisfactory to them, than often the game itself results. Those who pinned their faith in the ability of the Reds to repeat their dose of last year must have been terribly disappointed, not so much with the result of the struggle as with the form displayed by their favourites. The weather at one time appeared likely to seriously affect the gate, but evidently the clements are not considered when such an issue is at stake as the one under notice, though truth to tell, the excellently appointed and well covered arena of the Liverpool Club is sufficiently protected against any contingency. At any rate the people rolled up in thousands, and if at the finish there were some who wore the gloomy visage significant of disappointed hopes, the majority must have been satisfield with the bill of fare provided. Not that it was a great game, by any means, for high wind in the first place militated against a correct exposition, whilst in addition the players particularly on the Liverpool side appeared to have marked out the lunging kick, coupled with an unbounded providential trust in eventualities as their style of playing the game. Let it be stated at the outset that there could be no doubt as to the superior eleven, for both when having the advantage of the wind and when operating against it did Everton display more dangerous methods than their opponents. Of course there was always a certain amount of interest in the game, for on these occasions, the very fact of kicking the ball anywhere or anyhow is lustily applauded of sneered at by the respective partisans; but apart from this there were occasions flashes of bright work emanating mostly from an individuals meteric rush than from some well concerted efforts of a number. The face of both teams being without a point to their credit was perhaps sufficient to incite the men to such deeds of valour, for in the words of Mr. Dombey's sister. ‘'It was really necessary that someone should make an effort'' Everton must have made the bigger effort, for they annexed all the points at the finish, and it was distinctly appropriate that ‘'Settle'' should have this unique honour of blighting the hopes of Anfield. It is perfectly clear, judging from the team put on the field by Everton that the selection committee know not a medium course, but pursue the often ill-fated policy of rushing to extremes. The eleven which had done duty for the club previous to Saturday had been given a fair trial and found wanting in some particular instance and had not secured a victory out of three attempts. Changes were of course naturally anticipated, and those who expected most must have been thoroughly satisfied. Gee, who has shown about the best form in front rank, was shelved altogether and Taylor brought from halfback amongst the forwards. Surely it has been decided by now whether Taylor is to be a forward or a halfback and judging from the manocevres at Anfield the Everton skipper was evidently trying every position on the field for the purpose of discovering which would best suit his capacities. The sweeping changes brought victory, though whether the result was due to the alterations in the team of the rank bad play of the home side is opened to question. The latter case seems the more plausible. Doubtless the action of the selectionists will be received in some quarters as demonstrating the keen discernment of this body, but what if Everton had lost? With Gee as partner with Settle, Everton would have shown to greater advantage at Anfield. Their forwards were more reliable than those of the home side, and beyond measure more dangerous when in possession of the ball. Taylor evidently intended to butive Sir Boyle Roche bird, and be not in two but half-a-dozen places at one time. All the same he gave a good display, at times acting as vanguard to Sharp, and always ready to pounce on any stray chance, but ever enabling the men on either side to him to make headway and the most of every opportunity. The whole line showed more system and more ability than their opponents, and in marked contrast to the previous week, did not fail to bang the ball into goal at every opportunity. The halves were capital, and the excellent form displayed by Blythe must have fixed the Jarrow youth's permanent position in the team. There was no better player on the field, though both Boyle and Wolstenholne rendered excellent service the former being more judicious and effective than for some time past. Balmer and Molyneux were a pair of good sound backs, though the latter found Cox a tough opponents, but Balmer was rarely in difficulties and kicked strongly even under disadvantageous conditions, Muir had such an easy time that he almost allowed a slow rolling shot to beat him being evidently too suprising to find the ball coming anywhere near him. The Liverpool team were like a ship without a man at the helm. The forwards were disjointed, and no wonder for Wilson, who acted as a sort of stop gap in the centre had not the remotest idea of his position. The sight of a blue jersey seemed to infuriate him into a boisterous rush, but for all practical purposes he might just as well have been a spectator. Cox was the best man in this line though Robertson put in a few old-time sprints, and the inside men were passable, but they were as a body incompetent. To be deprived of the services of Allan and Walker is a great blow to Liverpool, and the officials deserve some commiseration for their bad luck. The Anfield Mark Tapleys must be having a glorious time just now. There is really some credit in being cheerful under present circumstances. At half. Howell played a rare good game and both Raisebeck and W. Goldie did well at times, though not so noticeable as of yore. The defence however was very feeble, and repeatedly was the Everton forwards let in and enabled to reach within a few yards of Perkins, who however gave a splendid display between the uprights. What with weakness both in defence and attack, it is a wonder that Everton were not three goals ahead at the finish. They had the chances. Perkins was the saviour of his side, and his exhibition demonstrated that his previous performances have not been true representations of his skill. Shots of all kinds were dealt with in equally clever fashion, and his display was one of the most pleasing features of the game. Of course, the question now agitating most minds is weather Liverpool intend scoring any points at all in this season's League tourney. On present form they are not likely to do so. There is one feature to be witnessed during all League matches, both at Anfield and Goodison Park, which deserves a word of encouragement. The half time and in many cases, final results of the remaining League matches are to be seen by comparing the score board at Everton, which is placed near the press box, and the sandwich man's board at Anfield, with the list given in every issue of the Official Programme. The rapid and accurate information than obtained must be an extra source of gratification to those who invent in the above pennyworth.


September 28, 1899. The Courier & Argus

It is related of Pinnell, who has kept goal for Burnley, that when he used to play with Everton he often used to go out early in the morning on the practice ground, before any of the other players had arrived, standing between the goal posts, fisting out imaginary shots, now stopping a high one, them driving at a grounder, fisting out with one hand and then the other, and in fact, performing all kinds of acrobatic feats. This has evidently been top service to him, for he can cover the space well, and he deserves to succeed after such trying practice.