January 1901


BURY 3 EVERTON 0 (Game 360)

January 2 1901. The Lievrpool Mercury

The return engagement between the above teams took place at Bury, yesterday, before 15,000 spectators. The sides it will be remembered met a week ago at Goodison Park when the Evertonians, after Bury were leading at half-time 3-1, made a most creditable draw. The team for yesterday's struggle was similar to that which gained such a decisive victory over Preston North End whilst Bury were at full strength. The teams faced prompt to time as follow: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Watson and Balmer, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot Settle (captain) and Turner, forwards. Bury: - Thompson, goal, Darroch and McEwan, backs, Pray, Leeming, and Ross, halfbacks, Richards Wood, McLuckie, Sagar, and Plant forwards. Bury kicked off, and after Wolstenholmes had got the ball away, McEwan sent back, and play for a few moments settled in the home half. A respite came through an incursion by Taylor, but shortly following Sagar came along in fine style, and caused Muir some anxiety. The latter saved, but play followed in the Everton half, the goal having some exceedingly narrow escapes. Once the ball was through but from a corner kick it was untouched. Then Muir saved magnificently when surrounded, and with complete unison the Everton forwards moved to the other end, the ball however, going over the line. Bury continued to monopolise the play, and Plant made an extremely fine attempt to lower Everton's colours, Muir having to run out to save. McEwan checked an incursion by Turner and Settle, and Plant gave Muir a warm handful, the Everton custodian being warmly cheered for his agility in saving what seemed to be a certain point. Play was fast and of an exhilarating character. Thompson coming in useful from grand shots from Wolstenholmes, and Sharp, whilst Muir, saved marvellously with McLuckie Sagar, and Wood in close attendances upon him. In fact, at this period, Muir's goalkeeping was the feature of the game. Pressing with persistence, the Bury forwards gave the Everton defence unceasing trouble, and it was only after a couple of futile corner kicks that the ‘'Blues'' again persuaded danger, Taylor shot, however, being easily coped with by Thompson. A return to the other end followed by Abbott putting in fine work, whilst Sharp tested the opposing goalkeeper in grand style from long range. There was no mistaking the earnestness of the teams and the sides were working with a vigour worthy of success. This eventually came to Bury through a rather doubtful decision on the part of the referee, who allowed a free kick, from which Plant scored. Straight away the visiting forwards raced down, and Settle put through, the point, however, being offside. Bury pressed again, but upto halt time, there was no further scoring. Everton thus being in arrears by a goal to nil. On resuming, Richards and Wood dashed away, and Muir saved from both in rapid succession, a rather prolonged siege being eventually raised by Balmer, who sent down to Turner, the latter in company with Sharp keeping the Bury defenders on the quivive for some moments. With Darroch McEwan, and Ross, ever on the alert and incline form, the Evertonians could not equalise, although Turner missed a glorious chance with practically an open goal from a smart screw by Sharp. Bury demonstrated their superiority in no unmarked manner, and Muir was frequently troubled. Full of resource, however, he coped with efforts from Richards and Wood in masterly style, and saved his goal when all other opposition was passed. One was extremely worthy of notice this being when Platt ran down and sent swify across to Sagar who got high up from short range, Muir tripping the ball over the bar in artistic style, only to be beaten, however, a moment later, by Plant this placing the home side two points ahead. Ten minutes off time a determined onslaught by Bury was again awarded, tackling near the Everton goal, ending in Wood putting through. Later on the visitors worked hard to reduce the lead, but the opposing defence was thoroughly sound, and no further scoring was done the game ended Bury 3 goals Everton nil.



January 2 1901.

AT Goodison Park, in front of 4,000 spectators. Everton winning by 4 goals to one, Chadwick, and Gray scoring one goal each, and McDonald scoring the other two goals. (Game 19) Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles and Crelly, backs, Harrison, Blythe, and Elliott (s), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson McDonald (a), Gray, and Chadwick (t) forwards.



January 3 1901. The Liverpool mercury

At Middlesbrough, on a heavy ground, before 5,000 spectators. Middlesbrough played severe Reserves in view of their Cup tie on Saturday. Wilkes early scored for Middlesbrough, but before the interval Taylor equalised. In the second half Proudfoot, Turner, Settle, and Boyle (twice) scored for the visitors, who thus won very easily,, what was all an interesting game by six goals to one. Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson backs, Wolstehomes, Boyle, and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 05 January 1901

Played at Wolverhampton, in dry, sharp weather, before 5,000 spectators. Both sides were well ropresented. The Wanderers were the first to press, and then Baddeley bad several shots to deal with. The Wanderers were penalised three times in succession, and they proved most erratic in shooting. Everton •spoiled several chances by getting offside, but attacked strongly to the interval. Half-time—Wanderers 0, Everton 0. Shortly after the restart Everton got down on the left, and the ball was passed to Taylor, who scored. An appeal by the Wanderers for a penalty was disallowed. Wooldridge headed through and equalised. Play the finish was exciting, both sides-striving hard to score a victory. Result—WOLVES 1, EVERTON 1.


January 7 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

The first of the season's League games between these clubs took place at Wolverhampton on Saturday. Owing to the indisposition of Booth and Sharp. Places were found for Boyle and McDonald, the former player making his first appearance in the League team this season. The home side was at full strength, and at 2-30 the teams lined up as follow : - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Boyle, and Abbott, halfbacks, Taylor, McDonald, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Wolverhampton Wanderers: - Baddeley goal, Walker, and Matthias, backs, Annie, Phesant, and Fleming halfbacks, Bowen, Parker, Beats, Woolridge, and Miller, forwards. The early play ran slightly favourable to the Wanderers, and Muir was called upon but for some time afterwards play was contested in the home half, but for several offside infringements, Baddeley must have been defeated. Bowen, the Wanderers outside right, was kept well employed and his centres caused much uneasiness to the visiting defenders. Boyle was clever in clearing, and eventually putting his forwards in possession, the home goal was subjected to severe pressure. Faulty shooting spoiled the Everton attempts at scoring, and breaking away Beats had the goal at his mercy, and failed badly. The bulk of the play continued in favour of Everton, but they could not score, the interval arrived without a tangible point being recorded. Early in the second half, the visiting forwards got going and after Proudfoot, Settle, and Turner had taken part in a movement towards Baddeley, the ball came to Taylor, who put it into the corner of the net. On getting to work again the Wanderers infused dash into their play, and for some time did not appear that the visitors would be able to retain their lead. An appeal against Boyle for a penalty was not unheld, but directly afterwards from a corner against McDonald, Woolridge headed into the net. The game fluctuated up to the finish, but sides having narrow escapes and a draw of one goal each resulted.



January 7 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. Everton started, and Dawson soon opened the score, Gray followed with a second soon afterwards. A good defence by the Heathers prevented any addition till the interval, which found Everton two goals ahead. On resuming Dawson again scored, and repeated the performance shortly afterwards. Gray who with Dawson shared all the goals, added a fifth and the result was Everton 5 goals, Newton Heath nil. (Game 20) Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Halliday, and Crelly, backs, Harrison, Green and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson Worthington, Gray, and Chadwick (t), forwards .



January 7 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of the Everton team to Molinuex Grounds, Wolverhampton have in reach season's not been attended with favourable elemental conditions, for one has forcibly in mind the blizard of a few season ago, and a dense fog that put play out of the question on the occasion of the last journey to the Midlands. On Saturday there were evidence of fog interfering with the game, but fortunately it was not of sufficient denaty though a penmature ending threatened all though especially in the second half. In obtaining one point, the Evertonians improved upon their last visit to the Midlands; in fact their opponents registered all four points last season. At a set off, Everton have secured three points from their opponents as the result of this season's inter club contests. The standard of play reached, but a very moderate level, and when one recalls the performances of the contending team a season or two ago, it is difficult to imagine that there has been such a falling away of merit. The Wanderers of course have no pretensions to great game, but in the ranks of the visitors have been included several stars who are however, demonstrating with marked regularity has they are not such notable exponents nor such serviceable players as the earnest and moderately paid footballer of today. There was but a very ordinary display given by the Everton forwards when it came to a matter of testing the goalkeeper. In the first half the whole quintet worked the ball down nicely, and had they taken advantage of the openings they actually made for themselves, they must have laid a solid foundation to success. Their failure to pop at goal at the right time, combined with otherwise faulty finishing touches stood out in marked contrast to their efforts in the Derby match at Goodison Park. Rarely indeed did they keep the ball low, and when in the air an eager Wanderers was almost certain to gain possession. The home line of attack also showed but little ability in general movements, but what they lacked in skill was more than accounted for by their determination to get the ball at any one and more than once they had the measure of the Everton defenders. In their ugly rushes towards the goal they met with stout opposition from Boyle, who made the first appearance in the League team this season, and there can be no question that the value of the services of the player could not be over estimated. When danger threatened he cleared the goal with excellent judgement, and in accurately anticipating the ball from an opponent's pass his general play showed that he has much good football in him yet, and that the Everton directors are fortunate in having so capable a player to fall back upon. No exception could be taken to the play of Wolstenholmes and Abbott, but at full back Watson was ill at easy, and often beaten. The Wanderers were not slow in taking in the situation, for most of their attacks were directed to the right wing, and but for some fine clearances by Balmer. Watson's part in the performance must have cost his side clearly. Muir had not much to do, but there was a suspicious that the header that defeated him might have been saved. It was a struggling game, and it can safely be stated that the Everton club in all its history never had a better chance of recording full points, and those with a substantial margin.


January 14, 1901 Lincolnshire Echo

Mr. M.J. Earp, who will be remembered as the captain of the Stockport team when they visited Lincoln, on December8th, left Nottingham on Saturday for South Africa, having joined Major-General Baden-Powell's police. Earp was unfortunate in coming to the front in football at a time when Notts Forest had such a reliable pair of backs as Scott and Ritchie to depend upon, and unable to get a regular position in the Forest team, he, for a time, assisted Everton as an amateur. Then he returned to the Forest for a spell, and was finally induced to go to Sheffield, where he turned progressional, and captained the Wednesday team when they won the Association Cup. Last August, he joined Stockport County. When he got out of touch with First Division football, however, he lost some of his enthusiasm, and since the outbreak of the war in South Africa he has always been anxious to go to the Cape. He has been a trooper in the South Notts Hussars for two or three years, and the experience he has gained in that smart yeomanry regiment should stand him in good stead in the more series work that lies before him in South Africa.


January 14 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

As is usual when these teams meet, there was a large gathering of local enthusiasts at Goodison Park on Saturday, fully 18,000 being present during the progress of the game. Both sides were full strength, and at 2-45 they lined out as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Aston Villa: - George goal, Spencer and Evans, backs, Wilkes, Cowan, and Crabtree, halfbacks, Athersmith, Devey, Johnson, Garrirty, and Smith, forwards. The game opened at a brisk pace, with Everton holding a lead in the operations, and after seventeen minutes play, a smart pass from Sharp to Settle resulted in the latter scoring a clever goal. Later Turner almost defeated George with a swift low shot, and then Athersmith and Devey were busy on the visitors right, but there was no defeating the home defenders, and play was quickly at the other end again. George effected some smart saves under pressure. Smith subsequently got well down, but could exact no quarter from Balmer, and a subsequently attempt to get within shooting range was checked by Wolstenholmes. Returning again Turner forced a corner off Spencer, and Wolstenholmes rushing up, scored with a fast shot, the visiting custodian having no chance of saving. The Villa then put on pressure, and Garrirty scored close in goal. Nothing further occurred up to half-time, when the score stood Everton 2 goals Aston Villa 1. The second half opened with the visitors forcing Muir's position, but the keeper got a capital shot away, from Garrirty, and immediately afterwards Turner was only a trifle wide with a fine shot across the goalmouth. Then followed a stubborn pressure on the Villa goal, corner succeeding corners, until Johnson fastened on the ball and removed play to the other end. Still play favoured the home side until ten minutes from time, when the Villa pulled themselves together, with the result that the Everton goal was subjected to a severe pressure. Muir defended splendidly, and a rush or Proudfoot, supplemented by a smart movement on the left, brought about a melee in from of the Villa goal, which was again saved by George, though surrounded by a host of opponents. During the last few minutes, Everton put on further pressure, but there was no change in the scoring, and Everton won by 2 goals to 1.



January 14 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

At Bury. At the end of 30 minutes Dawson opened the scoring from a melee at close quarters, the ball going though Montgomery legs. Half time Everton 1 goal, Bury nil. Resuming pretty work by Singleton and Cooper completely mystified Eccles, and Singleton getting round him, beat Kitchen with an oblique shot. At length Singleton sent in and Booth rushed in and scored, giving Bury the lead and Bury winning by 2 goals to 1. (Game 21) Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles, and Crelly, backs, Boyle, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson, Worthington, Gray, and Corrin, forwards.


January 14, 1901. Lincolnshire Echo

M.J. Earp, who will be remembered as the captain of the Stockport team when they visited Lincoln, on December 8 th , left Nottingham on Saturday for South Africa, having joined Major-General Baden-Powell's police. Earp was unfortunate in coming to the front in football at a time when Notts Forest had such a reliable pair of backs as Scott and Ritchie to depend upon, and unable to get a regular position in the Forest team, he, for a time, assisted Everton as an amateur. Then he returned to the Forest for a spell, and was finally induced to go to Sheffield, where he turned professional, and captained the Wednesday team when they won the Association Cup. Last August, he joined Stockport County. When he got out of touch with First Division football, however, he lost some of his enthusiasm, and since the outbreak of the war in South Africa he has always been anxious to go to the Cape. He has been a trooper in the South Notts Hussars for two or three years, and the experience he has gained in that smart yeomanry regiment should stand him in good stead in the more serious work that lies before him in South Africa.


January 14 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

League teams hailing from Birmingham and district are not deriving much satisfactory from Everton, this season, and, as a matter of fact they have not distinguished themselves against Liverpool. It has been so customary to expatiate upon the excellencies of the Midland clubs that the present state of affairs attracts attention simply on account of the novelty of the situation. Last season Everton presented the Wolves with four points, and forfeitrf three to West Bromwich and the Villa respectively, the Goodison Park team being beaten at home by each of the three clubs mentioned. But the transformation has been complete. Already have three points been extracted from the Wolves, and the victory gained over the Villa on Saturday placed them in the proud position of having gained four points from last year's champions. West Bromwich have also been vanquished, so that the Everton team can point to one meritorious achievement as a result of their labours. Their most recent success showed them in a more favourable light than for some considerable time past, and it may safely be asserted that a continuance of similar form would quickly dispel the dissatisfied feelings, which have been aroused by their numerous previous failures. In the first half-hour of the opening moiety, there was displayed an excellent standard of football, in which the home players showed to the utmost advantage. The methods adopted were those that have been so conspicuously wanting in earlier struggle. Ample skill was interspersed with dash and vigour, the two elements being most judiciously combined to such an extent that the Villa were decidedly overplayed. The pace was very fast and the shooting was crisp and incisive, the result being that the Villa defence was sorely harassed, and George was called upon to preform prodigies of valour between the uprights. In spite of his grand work, Everton twice found the net, and a third was prevented simply because the custodian could not get out of the way of a tremendous short drive from Turner. There followed for a quarter of an hour prior to the interval a toning down process, and the Villa from a mistake by Watson diminished the home teams lead by a goal. In the concluding half the visitors had more of the play, but seldom appeared likely to score. They displayed clever footwork at times, but they lacked vigour, and it was here where they were beaten. The strongest part of the Everton team was at halfback where some very fine work was shown. On the right wing Wolstenholmes attended to Smith and Co, with brotherly assiduity, and so pressing were his attentions that the speedy left winger could rarely get close enough to trouble Muir or the backs. Garrirty was literally helpless against him, but the speedy Smith brought out all his resource and rarely was he beaten. A fine goal was a fitting addition to his display throughout the game. Booth also demonstrated considerable improvement, and Abbott stuck tenaciously to the opposing wing, whilst the whole trio lent every assistance to their front rank. In this latter branch of the teams the left wing bore off the honours of attack. The most dangerous forwards was Turner, who was both tricky and speedy, and his centre were judged to a nicety. His partner Settle emerged from his habitual secturation, and gave several evidence of his innate ability whilst the goal he obtained was the result of a beautiful bit of trickery which fairly puzzled Evans. Sharp indulged in a few sprints, but Taylor was not at his best, and the right wing did not attain its usual efficient standard. Little fault could be found with the backs, for Balmer kicked and Tackled most sturdily, and Watson only made one blunder, which unfortunately cost his side a goal. Muir had little to do throughout the game until the last ten minutes, when he cleared a couple of ‘'headers'' that might easily have been forgiven had he failed to negotiate them. Coming to the Villa, one cannot fail to be struck by the signs of decadence in the front rank, and at halfback. For pretty tapping and deft pediputation the Villa forwards have long been acknowledged experts, but they seem unable to stand the rushes of a less skilful, but more energetic side. In front of goal their efforts were as feeble as in midfield, they were so enticingly efficient and weak finishing touches much previous good work. The forwards did not combined satisfactorily and the play was by no means evenly distributed. Towards the end Smith became rather aggressive, but taken as a body the front rank was not a success. The halves were erratic and often beaten, and the recourse to fouls, to which decaying skill ever lends itself was often apparent. The backs were fairly sound, and kicked with judgement, but George was the one player that saved his side from a heavy reverse. In a tremendous scrimmage under the Villa bar just before time he lay under a mass of struggling friends and foes, but in some occult manner succeeded in getting the ball away, and emerged without, apparently, having lost any of his embonpoint in the tussle. The victory comes to Everton at an opportune period, and with an arduous League match, and equally exacting cup tie in immediate store for them, the success over the Villa should give them confidence for their coming engagements. Saturday next should provide a game well worth witnessing.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 19 January 1901

This match at Goodison Park started in a downpour of rain, before only a handful of spectators. Soon after the kick off one of the visiting forwards in trying to clear a corner to Everton put the ball through his own goal. Leyland played up pluckly. and R. Taylor, at back, missing his kick. Walker promptly equalised the score. A few minutes later Barlow put the home team ahead, and Dawson scored a third goal. These reverses seemed to discourage Leyland a great deal, and they played half-heartly game; and were penned in theirt own goal-mouth. Everton should have scored again and again; but the forwards found the ground too slippery. Half-tithe Everton 3. Leyland 1. The game was afterwards abandoned owing the rain, but the half-time score was accepted as final by both sides.


January 21 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

More wretched weather than that which, prevailed on the occasion of the important fixture can scarcely be imagined, and grave doubts were entertained as to whether the game could possibly take place. The turf always on the soft side, was exceptionally heavy, with here and there pools of water, which accounted for many vagaries during the game. Owing to indisposition of the Everton backs, the Combination pair, Crelly and Eccles were drafted into the teams, while the full eleven represented the home side. At 2-45 the players took up their positions as follows: - Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, Robertson, and Dunlop, backs, Wilson, Raisebeck (captain), and Goldie, halfbacks, Robertson, McGuigan, Raybould, Walker and Cox, forwards. Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles, and Crelly, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Right from the start, the Everton forwards became very aggressive, and the methods they adopted gave one the impression that they would eventually turn out a winning team. Long, swinging passes caused the home defenders considerable trouble, and keeping their feet better than their opponents, the Everton forwards were frequently in close proximity to Perkins. As a result of one of these rushes, Taylor scored after play had been in progress 18 minutes. It was only occasionally that the Liverpool appeared dangerous, much ground being left by attempting short passing movements, but at length looseness in the Everton back division gave Cox an opportunity, which he put in the best advantage. Up to half time the Everton team still held a lead in the play, but no further scoring took place. On resuming the Everton forwards were again busy, but met with stout opposition from Dunlop and Robertson, and on the venue being transferred Muir brought off a fine save on the line from Raybound. A little later the visiting custodian had greatly difficulty in getting a shot away from Raisebeck, and a further return by the Liverpool Walker missed a very easy chance of scoring. Once again Everton took up the running, and following several centres from Sharp, Booth supplemented, and Taylor drove hard into the net thus giving his side the lead again. Subsequently the Everton backs were hard pressed Raisebeck being mostly concerned in attacks on the goal, but the defenders prevailed and the game end Everton 2 goals, Liverpool one.



January 21 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison park. Leyland kicked off in a downpour of rain, the ground being in a shocking state. Everton attacked strongly, and Ashcroft saved well in the first minutes. Eventually from a corner one of the defenders placed the ball through but miskick by Taylor enabled Walker to equalised. Gray got an offside goal, and Ashcroft saved wonderfully on several occasions. He was however beaten by Barlow, before the interval Dawson scored again. At the interval Everton led by 3 goals to 1. Leyland refused to turn out after the interval, and Everton consequently claim the game. (Game 22). Everton: - Kitchen goal, Halliday and Crelly, backs, Blythe, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson, Barlow, Gray, and O'Brien, forwards .



January 21 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

Amidst a wilderness of slack and swamp, and a wholesome downpouring of rain, the elect of Everton and Liverpool foundered about for 20 minutes at Anfield and close on 18,000 ardent enthusiasts watched them go through the performance. A more dismal day for spectators and more trying conditions for the players could scarcely be imagined, and those of the spectators who clamoured nosily when a faulty move was made on the field might have had their ardour damped somewhat had they ventured from the comparatively long seclusion of the covered stands. There could be no doubt as to the damping process being carried out with celerity and despatch whilst the rain came down all the harder, so to speak. But no one could have anticipated even such a capital display as was witnessed under such a dreatily depressing downpour, at least no use, whose sanity was above reproach and the players of both sides deserve the greatest credit for their efforts to carry out the League contracts, whilst it is not too much to assert that the better exhalation, under similar conditions, could not have been given. The soaked surfaces of the ground like a saturated sponge, clung to the men with more than a passing fondness; it held them in its glutiness grip, but varied the proceedings by allowing then to occasionally glint over its treacherous length, only to finally enshroud there with a musky covering that rendered the individual almost unrecognizable. Similar pranks did the ball play; at times becoming stationary as soon as it touched the ground, and at others quirking over the mud, and ricocheting in every conceivable manner. And all the while the rain kept on raining. What football could there possibly be under such conditions? Nevertheless many excellent bits of play were seen, and on one side were made fewer mistakes than on the other. The Everton players tumbled to the situation more nimbly than did their rivals, hence their success. Early on in the game did the former give the impression that they would ultimately emerge successfully from the pudding, and their victory was the outcome of superior methods and better adaption to the prevailing requirements. What earthly use was it to attempt the short passing game on such a day? Yet this was evidently the chief idea in the development of the Liverpool forwards attacks, but the more they tried to dribble the further they stuck in the mud, and the ball absolutely refused to be dribbled, for it went deeper and deeper into the slush at each propulsion. Long kicks and succeeding rushes were the only tactics likely to be of avail, on such a day, and Everton by adopting these methods, were decidedly more dangerous all through the game than the home side. It does seen strange that experienced players are unable to regulate their movements to be in accord with surroundings of a nature like these which were in evidence on Saturday, for it was utterly absurd to attempt on that turf maneuvers which would have possibly been bewildering on a hard surface. Intelligent football will always prevail, and it was the lack of this, which cost Liverpool the game, their failure to meet the exigencies of the occasion being in marked contrast to the more suitable tactics of their opponents. In having to face such keen rivals, minus both their customary backs, who owing to illness, were each unable to participate in the game, Everton were placed at a serous disadvantage, but the substitutes shaped remarkably well. Eccles in particular fairly reveling in the heavy going. The result was that the defence shone as brightly as ever, and though Crelly was hard beset at times, he stuck to his work gamely. But the strongest part of the Everton team was the half back division, and if the trio give Southampton a taste of what they are capable of accomplishing. Everton will figure in the second round of the English Cup journey. Their work was excellent all round, and indeed on the home side similar praise might be awarded, for Raisebeck and his partner were ever in the midst of the fray, producing opening for their forwards and working consternation in the ranks of their visitors. Wolstenholmes took Cox under his wing as it were from the start and having carefully secured him, kept him there until the finish of the game. The Liverpool; outside left did once burst forth from his confinement, and scored an equalising goal, but after that no further liberty was allowed by the Everton right half. This was all that Cox did during the game. Raisebeck was very prominent, and Wilson worked hard, but it would be better for the last named youth were he to restrain the habit of fouling an opponent a practice which is becoming too common with the capable, and popular right winger. Wilson is a genuine worker, and has sufficient ability in him to be able to dispense with tactics, which can only harm his reputation. The backs on both sides kicked splendidly on the uncertain ground, and the mistakes, which were made, were too ludicrous to be taken seriously. On one occasion the home pair dallied with the ball until Robertson had to send back to Perkins, and in doing so nearly scored for Everton, for the ball went just outside the upright, and the Liverpool custodian had no possible chance of averting a corner. Dunlop and his partner are dashing defenders and, although they often clear in exhilarating fashion, they make some inexplicable blunders. Perkins kept a splendid goal, and had far more work to do than his vis-à-vis, Muir, though the latter was almost caught napping twice in the second half, once from a ground shot from Raybound, when the ball struck on the goal line under the posts, and again when a high shot from Raisebeck tipped over the bar. But both man did well to even hold the ball, which was in a terribly greasy state. Forward, Everton held the advantage, for the sample reason that they did not keep the ball confined and when they did pass, lifted it over to a confreres instead of rushing it along the ground, for in these cases the ball frequently stopped in the mud heap, yards away from the intended billet. When at the interval the score were equal, it did seen possible that Liverpool with the wind in their favour, would prevail, but the illusion was quickly dispelled. They were more effected by the untoward surroundings, and by failing to utilise the openings that were gained, and Walker had two glorious chances of scoring with only Muir to beat, had to acknowledge defeat. It was a case of very hard luck for Liverpool that ‘'the'' gate of the season should be thus spoiled and what with losing points, gate money, and some considerable portion of their ground, which was carried away by the players their experience were by no means of an advisable nature. An attempt was made to put the closure on the game, when the second half had been in progress nearly half an hour, but this was rightly vetoed. The mud larking splashing, and wading through the more continued to the bitter end, and the referee terminated the struggle, which at the best, could only be considered as a hybrid combination of water pole and a skating competition. What was called football did eventually finish, but the rain-kept on missing.