March 1901

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 02 March 1901
If, prior to the Cup-tie at Birmingham, anyone had ventured to predict trhe Forest team for to-day against Everton, he would unfailingly have been laughed at. Such a combination would certainly have appeared highly imporbable for it uneant the wholesale rearrangement of the side and the introduction quantities so far as the Forest Club was concerned. Curiously unfamiliar looked the team as the players took up-their position, for it had under goone a complete metamorphosis. Of the regular member Norris was in the General Hospital at Birmingham nursing his broke leg, Fred Forman was suffering from a bruished shoulder, and Calvey and Peers were left out consequent upon a decision arrived at by the committee at thew close of the replayed tie at the City ground on Wednesday. The leaving out of the two last named represented a very drastic attempt at reform upon the part of the directorate, and with such a step deemed advisable the necessity of keeping first-class players in reserve was abundary apparent. Fortunately these requirements have been borne in mind by the Forest Club with the result that they were able today to effect a thorough shuffing of the cards upon lines which promised to prove successful. With the exception of the goal and left wing there was no single department in which a change had not been made. John McPherson was once more called upon to take up his old position of centre half, Frank Forman figuring at right half, and Robinson crossing over the left wing. McCurdie, late of Luton, appeared for the first time in the Foest colours as Iremonger's partner, but there is no doubt from the Nottingham point of view interest centred in the work of Dean the newly acquired centre from Walsall, who thus made his debut in a red shirt as soon as he was eligible to do so. Capes was moved from left-half, the position in which he distinguished himself on Wednesday against the Villa to outside right, where he was associated with Murray. It thus came about that the only Forresters playing in the accustomed places today were Morris, Spouncer, Murray, Iremonger and Linacre. All the same great hopes were entered of the efficiency of the combination which looked on paper an admirable one. Forest have still a considerable distance to go before they will be able to materially reduce the lead which Everton possess at present in relation to the matches played between the two clubs. Latterly, of course the “Reds” have inatufested a distinct superiority over the “Toffeemen” as their respective positions in the League chart conclusively shows. It is long time since the Forresters were at Goodison Park, where their last League engagement took place in October 1899. Upon the occasion Everton won by two goals to one, but as Forest beat them in the return encounter 4-2 and won at Nottingham in the early part of present season 2-1, they have since been in the ascendant. The form of the “Reds” at Stoke and Aston was good enough for anything, and though there was an unaccountable falling off at the City Ground on Wednesday it was hoped that under the latred circumstances which obtained today Everton would for the third time in successive have to take second place. The “Blues” it will be remembered went down aat Bramell Lane a week ago in decisive style. Forest left Nottingham yesterday afternoon in charge of Mr. Harry Hallam, and travelled by the Great Central to Liverpool, via Manchester. The headquarters of the team at the Mersey seaport were Lawrence's Temperince Hotel. A fine night was succeeded by a showry morning, rain frequerntly being extremely heavy. The wind was blowing half a gale when play commenced and the conditions were miserably wet and cold. At the start the spectators numbered about 8,000. Settle won the toss, and defended the goal at the cemetery end. Dean started the ball and Abbott at once repelled from Murray. Frank Forman passed nicely to the right wing when Abbott again checked their advances, and Taylor receiving Booth worked slowly towards the Forest goal, with Sharp, Irtemonger having no difficulty in securing the ball from the inside right and returning Spouncer and Morris executed a taking movement the effect of which was spoiled by Balmer. A free kick against Settle took Forest nicely in, and Eccles was cheered for smart work against Murray. After this Everton attacking strongly, and with McCurdie missing in attempting to head away from Proudfoot, Iremonger cleared cleverly at the expense of a corner. Abbott shot from this, but was wide, and directly afterwards Booth with a fine chance lifted loftily over the goal. Forest were playing in the teeth of a strong wind, and with the Sun, which broke through at this point, in their eyes, and the “Blues” continued to press. A free kick helped them considerably, and Wolstenholmes gave Linacre a hard one, which was splendidly negotiated; indeed all the shots up this juncture had come from the Everton halves. Sharp was the first of the forwards to make an attempt, and many spectators thought the ball had gone inches wide and rolled behind. The “Blues” remained in close proximity to the Forest goal, and Linacre saved a straight one from Wolstenholmes, while McCurdie kicked out of goal from Settle. The Forest goalkeeper next conceded a corner to Turner, but McPherson relieved. The “Reds” made a breakaway, and Dean was going on when Balmer met the ball with a strong kick, and returned it well up the field, where Proudfoot made his way close in and Linacre's charge survived a series of atatcks. Taylor shot past, and the goalkeeper knocked down a high attempt from Booth, following which the Forest got away. Spouncer and Morris were unable to get pass Wolstenholmes, who transferred to Proudfoot, and the centres, dribbling up a short distance, scored the first goal for Everton after twenty two minutes had elapsed. Danger threatened from the Everton left when the ball was set in motion. Turner eluding McCurdie and centring, but Iremonger kicked away, and Forest attacked. Murray passing to Dean, who sent past. Capes put in some clever work against Eccles, but Abbott assisted the back to clear, and Everton went straight to the other end, where Taylor was just wide. Frank Forman checked Proudfoot finely and Robinson was safe when challenged by Sharp. Then Forest secured their chance, and they made the best use of it. Capes received from Frank Forman and tricking Eccles deftly put in a lovely shot right from the corner flag, which Muir got rid of only weakly, and Murray running in was able to equalize after half an hour's play. The elation of the Foresters did not last long, however, as Everton attacked again, and Settle placed his side ahead two minutes later. Morris worked an opening for Spouncer, who could do nothing owing to the attentions paid him by Wolstenholmes. Proudfoot essayed a run, but was easily stopped by Frank Forman, and after McCurdie had once stopped Settle the ball went across to Sharp whp passed Settle the ball went across to Sharp whp passed to Abbott, the latter putting on a third goal. Play ruled in favour of Everton up to the interval, and Iremonger conceded a corner to Sharp. Interval; Everton 3, Nottingham Forest 1.

Players; Everton; Muir (goal), Balmer Eccles (Back); Wolstenholmes, Booth, Abbott (half-backs), Sharp, Taylor (right wing), Proundfoot (centre), Settle, and Turner (left wing); Notts Forest; H.J. Linacre (goal); W. McCurdie, J. Iremonger (backs); Frank Forman, J. McPherson, G.H. Robinson (half-backs); A Capes, P. Murray, (riught wing), A. Dean, (Centre), A.G Morris, and W.A Spouncer (left wing). Referee; Mr. J. Adams of Birmingham.

The Sphere -Saturday 02 March 1901
The case of John Holt, the old International and Everton player, shows how hardly the transfer system may bear upon a brilliant and deserving player. In a letter to the writer Holt says it cost Everton nothing to secure my services. I played for them for nine years, and then when I wished to make a change they asked 300 for my transfer. This practically barred me from playing in the north, for naturally a man could not be worth that to any club after having played so long. I may state that New Brighton offered Everton 135 for my transfer, and Burnley were prepared to pay 200 but neither offer came to anything. Consequently I had to come south out of the reach of transfer fees. Directly I had signed for Reading I received a telegram from Everton to come and meet the secretary of the Clyde Football Club. The two clubs had agreed about my transfer. It had been arranged without my consent, and then it was also too late."

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 04 March 1901
Played at Goodison Park, Liverpool before 12,000 people. The home side attacked strongly from the outset, and scoring through Proudfoot after twenty minutes play. Murray made matters level after another ten minutes, but Settle given Everton the lead again and a third goal was scored just before the interval. After changing ends Proudfoot give Everton a fourth goal and thus winning by 4 goals to 1.



Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Monday 04 March 1901

Everton, before 15,000 spectators. Notts Forest had three reserves in their team. Everton had the best of play to half-time, Proudfoot scoring. Murray equalised, and Settle and Abbot gave Everton the lead. In the second half Sharp scored a fourth goal for Everton. Everton Notts Forest 1


March 4 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

The League leaders put in an appearance at Goodison park on Saturday, and but for the unfavorable weather conditions there would undoubtedly have been a goodly gathering. There were about 12,000 spectators present when the teams faced as follow: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer and Eccles backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner forwards. Forest: - Linacre, goal, McCurdy, and Iremonger, backs, Forman McPherson, and Robinson halfbacks, Capes Murray, Death, Morris, and Spouncer forwards. The game opened evenly, when Forest left wing became aggressive, only to be foiled by Wolstenholmes, and smart passing by Settle and Turner ended in Abbott shooting beside the mark. A second attempt from the left half led to a corner kick which afforded an easy chance of scoring when Booth badly failed, and for some little time the Everton forwards attacked in vigorous fashion. Wolstenholmes tested Linacre with a difficult drive, and during the next few minutes several capital centres from both wings were abegging. Eventually Proudoot utilised a smart centre from Sharp, and the first goal was registered after 23 minute's play. Directly afterwards the Forest left were prominent, Muir being called upon and on a further return, Capes put in a beautiful cross shot, which Morris utilsed to the best advantage, thus equalising. Directly following Settle placed his side ahead on receiving a clever pass by Sharp. This led upto further pressure, which resulted in Abbott scoring a third from a free kick. No further scoring took place up to half-time, when Everton led by 3 goals to nil. After the change of ends the Forest front line was reconstructed, Morris going centre, Capes inside left, and Dean outside right. The change appeared to work well, for the visitors were now persistent in their attacks, but there was no defeating the Everton backs and keeper. Muir was however, twice called upon to negotiate difficult a shots. Eventually play was transfereed, and following a smart run down by Turner, the ball was put to Sharp, who scored a fourth goal. Turner was in capital trim, and sent across several fine shots to no avail, following which the Forest had a brief spell of attacking, during which Forman and Capes were prominent the latter player, however, falling badly with an open goal. No further scoring took place, and Everton won comfortably by 4 goals to 1.



March 4 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

At Stockport, in wretched weather, half time Everton none Stockport none. Everton's defence was a very strong, Kitchen being applauded for several good saves, and a goodless game resulted. (Game 25) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Watson, and Crelly, backs, Boyle, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson, McDonald, Gray, and Corrin forwards .



March 4 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton entertained the present leaders of the first division, and had the satisfaction of gaining a decisive and well deserved success. The Forest players were doubtless suffering from their exertions in the two tussles with Aston Villa, which would account for their apparent staleness, whilst in addition they had to be moan the absence of their most prominent members of the team. This necessitated a complete change in their forward division, but apart from this, Everton always had their opponents well in hand, and played a winning game throughout. In the first half the home side with the wind in their favour made matters very warm for the Midlanders, and had their work in front of goal been as accurate as their midfield play was in advance of that of their rivals they wound at the interval have held a more pronounced lead than actually did occur. The Notts defence could not cope with the persistent attempts of the Everton front rank, and the extreme wingmen beat the Forest Backs repeatedly, dropping across accurate centres, which, however for thirty minutes were feebly utilised. After the ice had been broken, as it were, by Proudfoot, the scoring was more rapid and at half-time Everton had practically made their position as victors secure. The visitors entirely re-arranged their forward division in the second moiety, and this combination proved more efficient from a playing standpoint, but was unable to baffle the opposing defenders. Weak shooting terminated Clever passing, and one or two beautiful chances of lessening the adverse margin were allowed to pass unheard. Capes and Morris were the chief offenders in this respect and the consequence was that Everton credited themselves with the only goal of this half. The Forest did not display anything like championship form, and it is difficult to imagine that the team on Saturday's display can ever gain one of the most coveted positions in the realms of football. In every department did Everton show their superior prowess, their attack having more sting in it, whilst the display of rear division was considerably in advance or that of their opponents. The home forwards were in a lively mood. Proudfoot giving his wings every opponent by his judicious up to right and left and the outside men did not fail to itilise these openings to the utmost. Turner fairly had the measure of McCurdy, the Reds latest recruit to first division warfare, and repeatedly did he round the back, dropping the ball in front of the post with clever accuracy. At the other extremity Sharp was over ready with his rapid rushes, and equally skillful centres, and it will easily be understood that the inside players had numerous chances of scoring, which as already stated was nullitied for fully half an hour by wild kicking in the vicinity of Linacre. Settle was seen in a more aggressive homour than has of late been the case, and Taylor was always on the alert for a stray opportunity. The halves were particularly prominent. Booth leading the way with some sterling work, and several times, did the Forest goal escape capture by the narrowest margin from the persistent shooting though one attempt when the centre half was only a few yards from the custodian, was a huge failure. Abbott likewise strove hard to lower the Forest citadel, and after numerous attempts the burly winger had the satisfaction of registering a very fine goal. In addition he played a hard game throughout and on the other wing Wolstenholmes was fairly successful with the energy. The backs were rarely in difficulties, though they found the wind more than usually troublesome and Muir had little to accomplish in goal, but one weak clearance from Capes centres led to the Forest gaining their only goal of the afternoon. The visitors gave a disappointing exhibition, and the failure of their front rank to take advantage of much clever work in midfield, by reason of their feeble shooting must have come as a grievous surprise to their supporters. Their new recruit Dean was a greater success and the outside right than in the centre, and Calvery's usual position was weakly filled by the ex-Walsall player. Capes was the most effective worker in this branch of the team, though he like others failed when near the Everton custodian, and the climax was reached, when with an absolutely open goal, and placed not more than five yards away from the posts, he sent the ball away over the line, considerably wide of the upright. The halves were best represented by Frank Forman; but the general display of this line was not of a very efficient nature, a remark which applies with equal force to the defensive work of those further in the rear. Iremonger played a very fair game, but could not go the pace with Sharp though he frequently tackled the Everton flyer cleverly. The home team had the upper hand of their opponents throughout the first half and was worth their four goals to one victory.



March 11 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams, which were at full strength, took the field at Ewood Park, on Saturday, before about 10,000 spectators. At 3-30 the players faced as follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer and Eccles backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth and Abbott halfbacks, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Whittaker goal, Crompton, and Howarth, backs, Moir, McClure, and Houlker, halfbacks, Whittaker, Somers Dewhurst, Bryant and Blackburn forwards.

Everton had the better of the opening play, and several smart skirmishes took place within range of the Rovers goal. Taylor called upon Whittaker, and after Sharp had failed to get through Turner centred neatly, and Proudfoot headed in. the ball was actually in the net, when Whattker fisted out, but an appeal was not sustained. The home pair of backs had plenty of work on hand, but eventually Whittaker transferred play, and Dewhurst tested Muir with a shot that required his best efforts to clear. For some little time play was evenly distributed, when Sharp broke through, and having the better of Howarth, found himself with an open goal. He, however, shot straight at Whiitaker and his opportunity was lost. The visitors continued to have slightly the better of play until close on the interval, when taking advantage of an opening afforded by the Everton backs, Whittaker put the ball quite out of Muir's reach. And gave his side the lead. After resuming the Rovers became very aggressive and following several raids on the Everton defence, Bryant scored a second point from a centre by Whittaker. Everton now attacked strongly, but success was not forthcoming until 15 minutes from time, Sharp rushed the ball through after Whittaker had failed to clear. The visitors still pressed their opponents but could not exact quarter from the home defenders, and on the Rovers breaking away, a claim for a penalty against Balmer were not upheld. No further scoring took place, and Rovers winning a hard game by 2 goals to 1.

Blackburn Rovers v Everton

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 11 March 1901

The meeting between the Blackburn Rovers and Everton at Ewood Park produced a downright hard game, and the spectators got full value for their patronage. Honours at the finish remained with the Rovers, but during the first 25 minutes, when the visitors completely bottled up their opponents, few expected that the Blue and Whites would emerge with a victory to their credit. That they were outplayed during this period cannot gainsaid, yet the stubborn defence and the remarkably clever goalkeeping on the part W. Whittaker kept the Evertonians from scoring. In field play the visitors were greatly superior to the home side, who experienced better fortune in scoring, the points obtained by A. Whittaker and Bryant being cleverly got. Only one slip was made by Whittaker, the goalkeeper, and this was when gave Everton their goal. Muir made similar mistake the same spot, bat luckily put the leather round the post. Play was fast all through, and the second part was of a ding dong character, especially the last quarter of an hour, when the Everton forwards made strenuous efforts to come out with a draw. Several of the men became excited, and there was some rough and tumble work, but despite the quick rushes of the visitors their efforts were always frustrated. Neither side was strong in front of goal, accurate shooting being their chief weakness. A fact greatly to the credit of the Rovers is that they have only lost one match out of 12 successive League games.



Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Monday 11 March 1901

At Ewood Park, before 10.000 spectators. Proudfoot kicked off, but the visiting left took up the running, and a corner accrued, which Muir cleared. Hands against Howarth brought Everton back, but Crompton cleared, only to see Sharp drop the ball into goal again. Two'corners to Everton were fruitless, and the Rovers again broke away, and. with a pretty hooked shot, Whittaker scored. Half time score : Rovers, one goal: Everton, nil. The Rovers opened the second half in promising fashion. A. Whittaker and Blackburn put in good centres, which cased the Everton defence some trouble. The Rovers followed with a pretty movement which ended a corner, from which Bryant scored a second goal. Everton responded with series of smart attacks, and at length Turner got through. Blackburn Rovers 2 Everton 1


March 11 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park. The home team scored in the first five minutes through McDonald, the ball being scrimmage through again before the interval, half time Everton 2 Park Road nil. Resuming Everton attacked, and though Davies displayed fine form in goal they put on to more goals (Game 26) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Watson and Crelly, backs, Boyle Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson, McDonald Gray, and Corrin, forwards.



March 11 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

Results of certain matches on Saturday were awaited with keener interest than is usual, as with close competition for final honours, there was several organisations that were directly concerned. Locally the visit of Everton to Blackburn was previously viewed with few misgivings as to success, and had such a consummation have realised these could be no question that in this district a capital fillip would have been given to the closing stages, especially so as come of the leading clubs had to complete engagements with each other. However the unexpected once again happened, and final honours are in oblivious as far as the immediate neighborhood is corcerned. It is strange how the Everton team fall to rise to the occasion when something out of the common is expected from them. The disappointing at Sheffield was a serious blow to the aspirations of their well wishes and on Saturday again chances were allowed to pass unheeded in a manner that must have impressed their opponents with their illimitable magnanimous spirit. There were openings provided the first portion of the game sufficient to lay a good foundation for success, but as in many other games this season, the team preferred to have all the play and none of the goals. It was unfortunate for them that the referee could not rule upon a point that should certainly have opened the scoring in their favour, for Whittaker repelled a ball which had actual passed under the bar but what can be said of chances that any ordinary team would itilise being allowed to go abegging? On one occasion Sharp run down, and after the ball had rebounded from one of the backs had the goal quite at his mercury; in fact he could have literally walked through with it but preferring to shoot concentrated his attention upon the custodian, and defily directed the ball to him. There were other instances where opportunities were lost by merily following up the ball, and there can be no doubt that the Rovers owed their success, and deservedly to the very close attention they paid to the all important branch of the game. The pace was highly strong all through the game; at times there were passages brimful of incident that placed the contest much above the average; at others the game was earnestly and heatedly contested men, hard knocks being given and received, but this was probably due more to the keen tension under which the game was contested than to any ebullition of feeling. Taking a broad view of the game. Everton had a little in hand in the general movements of play, but in their final touches they were not nearly so accurate as the Rovers. When the home forwards got into the good stride, danger generally threatened and the whole of the quintet were not slow in taking advantage of occasional looseness in the Everton defence. This weakness had been a somewhat unusual item to chronicle, but it was nevertheless patent that the average standard of play in the Everton rear division was not even approximated. The half-backs played sterling game, and some very clever passages and the final efforts to score late on in the game condoned somewhat for the lassitude of the forwards in the earlier portion when favourable opportunities had presented themselves. A big effort was made in the last quarter of an hour when but a goal divided the teams, and had an equalising point been forthcoming a division of honours could not have been begrudged the visitors. During this period Sharp sent in a very fine shot, which Whittaker surprising kept out and several ugly rushes more stemmed by the backs under at times difficult conditions. Turner was kept well under control by Crompton, and rarely effected anything indicative of success Settle put in many fine touches and displayed great command of the ball; Proudfoot though well marked did well, Taylor was always about when hard work was required, and Sharp was generally dangerous, when in possession, and was the centre of much close attention from the Rovers backs. Still the passing movements were not crisp and well directed, and it was in this respect that their opponents held their lead. The right wing, Whittaker and Somers understood each other perfectly, and Whatever the line, in general lacked in skill was accounted for by the determined efforts they put forward to secure the ball at any cost. The half backs hung on to the Everton forwards with a persistency that the latter did not at all appreciate, while the full backs and goalkeeper got through their work in more finished style than did the Everton defenders. It was a fairly good game all through and though there was not better footwork shown by the Rovers, there was a persistent goalheadness about their movements that warranted a successful issue.

Blackburn Rovers v Everton

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Saturday 16 March 1901

Blackburn Rovers made creditable position the League table secure by beating Everton 2-1. This result seems to have caused some surprise in Liverpool, although the consistently good form of the Rovers who have lost only one game since the beginning of December-and the results of the two previous meetings this season between the teams, could not nave afforded Everton much hope of victory. a matter of fact, however, Everton were the better lot during the first twenty-five minutes, and the last twenty minutes, and had their forwards been able to shoot well as they passed they might have won. But tho Rovers stuck them gallantly, and, getting the upper hand the middle stretch, were never caught. The halves played splendid game, Booth especially doing well against his old club. A draw would have been a more equitable verdict, considering everything.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 16 March 1901

At Audey Hall, before a few hundred spectators. Park Road set the ball rolling, and after five minutes' play Law, for the home team, scored from a penalty, O'Brien equalising shortly afterwards. The game in tbs first half was of an even character, but the Parkites played the smart passing game. Crookshaw, In the Park Road goal, showed up well, and was repeatedly called upon to save, while Tracey, in the front rank, also displayed good form. Both teams straggled hard to gain the lead, but despite the many attacks made by the visitors, the defence never wavered. Half-time— Park Road I, Everton Reserve 1. On the resumption the visitors were the aggressors. After about 15 minutes' play Roach scored No. 2 for Everton, Chadwick scoring, later from a corner. The home men strained every nerve, but fate was against them. Time after time did they invade the visitors' defence, but their slowness in front of goal, and inaccurate shooting proved disastrous. Once' more play was transferred to the home quarters. The Roadsters redoubled their efforts to score, but were unsuccessful, Chadwick netting the ball just before time for Everton, Result—EVERTON RESERVE 4, PARK ROAD 0.



Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Saturday 16 March 1901

William Molyneux, James Sutcliffe, and George Evans, of Bolton, and John Tyler, of Manchester were sent to prison for three months by the Bolton County Magistrates on Monday for stealing 7 pounds by means of trick from Wm. Henry Dawson, an Everton footballer. Dawson was a passenger on a Liverpool train in which the four men, by means of the three-card trick, relieved him of the money. Tyldesley, a Liverpool porter, who was in the compartment, got it back again. Tyldesley was complimented by the Magistrates.


Johnny Holt and Jack Southworth

Dundee Evening Post - Saturday 16 March 1901

Johnny Holt, the late centre-half of Everton, later of Reading, recommends plenty of good wholesome food, avoiding spirits and beer." He thinks the latter are apt to make a fellow short-winded and bloated." "In my opinion," he says, " the best way of training is walking and sprinting; long good walk between breakfast and dinner and a sprint in the afternoon about four o'clock, followed by a good rub-down with towels and fresh-glovers." Dumbbell exercise considers good for expanding the chest, &c., as it materially strengthens and expands the breathing apparatus."

John Southworth, the famous Blackburn Rovers' centre-forward, and latterly of Everton, confessed that in the summer he did really nothing in the way of training. After eight months hard football, he opined that players were apt to grow stale, and he always welcomed the close season " for rest. " I didn't go in for any special diet," he says, "good, plain, wholesome food is best, with very little pastry." He was not exactly a teetotaler, but very moderate regards drink. Southworth thinks that about nine hours sleep is necessary.


March 18 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

About 10,000 spectators witnessed the contest between the above clubs at Goodison Park. The sides were as Follows: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Eccles and Watson backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner forwards. Stoke: - Cartilidge goal, Capewell, and Dnber backs, Leech, Wood, and Bradley, halfbacks, Johnson, Whitehouse, Watkins, Benbow, and Lockett, forwards. The game opened with a smart attack by the Everton right, and following a corner kick, Cartlidge distinguished himself with a very clever save. The Everton forwards continued to be aggressive but eventually the Stoke van got into a good stride, and Johnson put in a splendid centre, which looked like being utilised, when Watson cleared. Some smart play by the Everton right ended in Sharp getting possession from Taylor, and in a splendid shot the outside man opened the scoring account after play had been in progress 20 minutes. Benbow next had a clear course, but Muir met his shot, and for some time afterwards play was mainly confirmed to the Stoke half. Proudfoot took advantage of a mistake by Capewell and put on a second goal. Following this the visitors got well down, but could obtain no quarter from the home backs, and on a further return Settle supplemented a dropping shot, with a smart drive into the net. At half time Everton were leading by three goals to none, and on resuming continued to be aggressive, it was only on odd occasions that Stoke were at all dangerous, and Muir easily accounted for their efforts to score. Several fine saves were effected by Cartlidge, who for some time was kept well employed, and had much to do in the matter of keeping down the scoring. Proudfoot struck the crossbar with a terrific shot, and later Sharp headed through, but the point was not allowed. Stoke finished the game with ten men, Wood having retired and the close they were a well-beaten team, by 3 goals to nil.



March 18 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

At Blackburn. Law scored for the Park road and a minute later O'Brien equalised. Half time Park road 1 Everton 1. In the second half McDonald seen in a capital shot, which the home goalkeeper cleared very cleverly. A little later however, he was beaten by Roche from a corner. Chadwick added a couple of goals later on and Everton won by 4 goals to 1. (Game 27) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Halliday and Crelly, backs, Blythe, Green and Taylor (captain), halfbacks, Roche, McDonald, Worthington, Chadwick, and O'Brien forwards.


Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 18 March 1901

Played at Goodison Park, Liverpool, in the presence of about ten thousand people. Everton had much the best of the game, and in twenty minutes Sharp scored for them, while towards the interval Proudfoot added a second point, and Just before the whistle sounded Settle also got through. Thus when the sides changed ends Everton held the substantial lead of 3 goals none. The home side had matters pretty much their own way in the second half, and Stoke being unable to score, Everton had done sufficient in the first half, and won by 3 goals to none.


March 18 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton placed another obstacle in Stoke's path of progress from Second division clutches and it is evident that the clubs at the nether most end of the League table will provide as much excitement for their partsians as those more favoured organisation that are holding out hopes of attaining the biggest rung of the ladder. If the form displayed by the Potters at Goodison Park be taken as an example of what they are really capable of accomplishing under favourable conditions, it must be reluctantly admitted that they are the most likely candidates for relegation to the lower circle. They never really extended the Everton players who throughout the game held the issue practually safe and that they were beaten by three clear goals scarely represented the actual difference between the abilities of the respective combatants. As usual it took the Everton van guard considerable time to locate the goal net, fully 20 minutes before the first point was put on by Sharp. Under ordinary circumstances and between teams of equal calibre, this would furnish no cause for adverse comment; but when it is understood that three-fourth of this period was spent in an immediate vicinity of Cartledge and his backs, it will be seen that the forwards division, though remarkably effective in midfield, was equally inefficient when it came to a matter of stern shooting. However, there was a decided improvement shown when once the exact bearings had been taken, and the Stoke custodian had quite as much to accomplish as any ambitious keeper could desire. It may as well be at once stated that he could not have improved upon what he actually did achieve and some of his clearances were exceptionally clever, denoting a keen eye and a ready appreciation of the requirements of a difficult situation. Had the other branches of the visitors team been equally capable, Everton would have had a tremendous task on hand to gain a favourable verdict. The home forwards quickly tumbled to the fact that they were always a little in advance of their opponents, and they monopolised the play to a considerable extent. Their passing was crisp and accurate though when they saw that their combination could be up the defence this feature was somewhat over done. The speedy wing men were afforded every opportunity of demonstrating their qualities, and each of the goals obtained resulted directly from a sudden flash by the extremists; whilst a treacherous centre caused the Stoke defence to perpetrate pardonable mistakes. Taylor kept Sharp continually on the move, by passing well forward, and the outside man had to sprint along in smart style to even get at the ball. Both he and Turner centred splendidly, getting in their crosses under the most difficult conditions after rounding with comparative ease the Stoke backs. But the whole front line worked capitally, and the combination was altogether too much for the opposing halves; in fact in the majority of cases, it was not until the last line of defence had been reached that the invaders were checked. The visitors sadly missed Maxwell, their front ranks lacking the services of some one to utilise the chance which were often the result of clever work by Johnson on the extreme right. This part of the attack was by far the most prominent, whilst occasionally loose play by the Everton backs gave the inside forwards an opportunity of minimising the reverse, but Muir invariably managed to time his clearance exactly as the circumstances required. At half backs the Everton trio were in an irresistible humour, and were the aggressors during the greater part of the game. They rarely allowed their opponents to baffle them. And by their persistency kept the ball in the Stoke half almost continually. Wiolstenholmes had full measure of the Stoke left wing, Booth was in ubiquitous form in the centre, and Abbott worked unceasingly and effectively against the most dangerous part of the visitors attack. The full backs were rarely in difficulties, and when they were, it was chiefly the result of their own laxity, rather than the super-excellence of the opposition. Further behind, Muir had occasionally an awkward situation to face, but as he was never beaten his efforts were thoroughly justified by their successfully result. The Stoke halves were enable to cope with the home attack, and only showed to advantage on rare occasions. All their attempts were nipped in the bud when properly set agoing, and when their centre-Wood-had to retire they were compelled to act entirely on the defensive. The two full backs kicked well, but Durber was overpowered by the repeated attentions of the Everton right wing, and towards the close tired perceptibly Cartridge deserves unstincted praise for his gallant efforts in goal, and two clearances from Proudfoot and Settle respectively were exceptionally clever feats. Thanks to him, the score was kept down to a respectable margin, and this it was that the final figures did not actually represent the undoubted superiority of Everton.



March 25 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

These teams met in a friendly engagement at Newcastle, before some 4,000 spectators. Everton started play and in the first couple of minutes Muir was called on by Gardner, but only partially clearing the ball went to Heywood, who opened the scoring. Play after this proceeded on fairly even lines, the respective defenders being always capable of dealing with the attack. Towards the end of the first half the home players put on pressure, and Muir had several difficult shots dispose of, and these were notiated with good judgement. No further scoring took place, and on charging ends Everton were one goal behind. On resuming the visitors had the better of the opening play, and looked like drawing level. Two corners however, came to nothing and on the home forwards getting away Peddie defeated Muir. Later on McDonald opened Everton's account, this being the last point scored and Newcastle winning by 2 goals to 1 . Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer, and Eccles backs, Wolstenholmes O'Brien and Abbot, halfbacks Sharp ,McDonald, Proudfoot, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Newcastle: - Kingsley goal, Burgess and Gardiner (g), backs, Ghee, Aitken, and Carr halfbacks, Peddie, Gardiner (a), McFarlane, Heywood, and Niblo, forwards.



March 25 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park before 5,000 spectators. Everton soon got into their stride, and tested Bennett, who was in grand form. Soon however, the visitors were at the other end and from a beautiful shot from Hall, Kitchen only just saved his shot. Result Everton 1 Old Xaverians nil. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Halliday and Robinson backs, Blythe, Wolstenholmes and Taylor (r), halfbacks Phillips, Hardacre, Beveridge, Gray, and Corrin forwards .

Everton at Owlerton.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph - Saturday 30 March 1901

Few clubs have given Wednesday such consistently games as Everton, who make their first acquaintance with Owlerton to-day. There has rarely been more than a goal between them, nor should there be this afternoon, for both defences are amongst the stoutest in the League, and neither gives much away to a superlatively clever attack. The sailing up of Crawshaw to act reserve where was generally expected to be first choice, compels Wednesday to introduce one cf their rare changes into the half-back line, Thackeray once more being included. In every other respect-, however, the side will be its best, both Langley and Wilson again resuming their positions, whilst the injury that Puddlesdin received his shoulder at Liverpool has happily not been sufficiently severe to necessitate a rast. Everton have not had too pleasant, an experience of Sheffeld football this season. Wednesday shared the points with them at Goodison Park, where, too, United only lost in the last three minutes of the game, and both in the return League match and the Cup tie Bramall Lane they were beaten. To-day should complete a somewhat barren record, and Wednesday succeed they will seldom have bagged a more useful brace of points, having regard to the position things in the table.



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 30 March 1901

At Owlerton, in wretched weather, before 3,000 spectators. Wednesday were without Crawshaw, Ruddlesden, Langley, and Thackeray, whilst on the Everton side Gee took place Settle, who was injured last week. Everton attacked at first, but afterwards Wednesday gradually obtained the upper hand, and they rushed the ball through from a corner, just before half-time. Half-time —Wednesday 1, Everton 0.

On resuming, Wednesday soon began to show their superiority, and after twenty minutes' play Davis put in a briiliant shot, which Muir saved, but could not got away, and Chapman a minute later placed another shot from Davies to Spikealoy, who headed through. Everton then took up the running, and Booth scored with long shot. The remaining- play was in Wednesday's favour. Result—WEDNESDAY 3, EVERTON 1.