November 1900


Bob Struthers

Luton Times and Advertiser - Friday 02 November 1900

Bob Struthers, who was last season with Gravesend, and formerly played with Everton, is still at Portsmouth.



Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 04 December 1900

A meeting of the English Football League was held Bolton last night—Mr J. J. Bentley presiding. Everton applied for a ruling respecting their visit to Sheffield United on Christmas Day, as the United had fixed the kick-off at time that necessitated them leaving the night before. Sheffield were ordered pay Everton the sum £5 to cover this expense.

R. Macfarlane, a late goalkeeper of F.C., and formerly 3d Lanark F.C. and East Stirlingshire F.C., applied at a meeting of the English Football League last night for the reduction the transfer fee placed upon him by Everton. As Everton bad not offered his re-engagerment, the amount was reduced to £20.



Grimsby Daily Telegraph - Wednesday 05 December 1900

The signing on of M'Farlane as the Town goalkeeper has not by any means caused a great deal of enthusiasm, and it has been freely stated that if Everton's old keeper had been worth much he would not have been doing nothing for so long. I for one do not share these pessimistic views —though, of course, I would have been better pleased had M'Farlane come as a thoroughly sound man. If he had not broken down, however, it is more than probable that he would have been playing for Everton to-day. He “kept” goal for Scotland in 1897 against Wales, and if recollection is correct appeared in the English Cup final when Whitehouse was in goal for the Villa. Had he been playing on Saturday, we might have had the singular coincidence of the same goalkeepers facing each other. It is, of course, largely experiment as to how M'Farlane turns out, but with Harris and Leaning as understudies we ought to be all right.


November 5 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

There would be about 15,000 spectators present when the above teams took the field to follows : - Everton: - Muir goal, Balmer and Watson backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks, Sharp, McDonald, Beveridge, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Whittaker, goal, Crompton, and Hardy, backs, Moir Haworth, and Houlker halfbacks, Whittaker, Somers, Dewhurst, Bryant and Blackburn, forwards. Everton commenced operations and at once he left wing put in capital work. Settle tested Whittaker without success, and for some time the Rovers were subjected to heavy pressure. Several chances of scoring were lost by the Everton forwards, and eventually Whittaker relieved with a smart sprint and shot, which Muir saved at full length. This was a capital effort which was repeated by the Rovers outside right, but Muir was again on the alert, and from the clearance, sharp made headway on the home right, Settle headed into goal, and after Abbott had failed the Rovers forwards made off at top speed, and kept the Everton defenders extended to their best efforts, several excellent shots, notably from Hewhurst and Whittaker, giving Muir much difficulty in clearing. With the exception of a few movements by the home forwards, the bulk of the play was carried on in the Everton half, and in contrast to the earlier efforts of the Rovers, the finishing touches were somewhat faulty. When the interval arrived there was no score, and on resuming the Everton line well backed up by the halves, were frequently in good position, and could do anything but find the net. Turner was twice faulty, when well placed, but returning again the Rovers charge had a narrow escape from a header from McDonald, the same player later on testing the custodian with a grounder, which was well gathered and cleared. Still, Everton continued to have the greater Share of the play, but did not improve upon their finishing movements, and invariably allowed the opposing back and custodian plenty of latitude a clearing the goal. Occasionally the Rovers got away and were the more dangerous side when in possession. Balmer repeatedly kept them out, and when time arrived, nothing had been scored, result Everton nil, Blackburn Rovers nil.



November 5 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

There was only a meagre attendance at this match at Glossop. The home side soon scored from a penalty, the kick being taken by Jones. Proudfoot subsequently equalised, and just before the interval, Barlow gave the Evertonians the lead. Fifteen minutes after resumption, Proudfoot shot a third goal, and a fourth point was obtained by Barlow, and a fifth by Taylor, and Everton won by 5 goals to 1. (Game 10). Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Eccles, and Crelley, backs, Blythe, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Taylor (j), Barlow, Proudfoot, Gray, and Corrin, forwards .



November 5 1900. The Liverppol Mercury

Disappointing but mildly expresses the feelings of the majority of the spectators at the result of the match at Goodison Park for two points had been anxiously anticipated from the Rovers visit, and their non-appearance rather damped the spirits of the home team's supporters. To those who have keenly followed the fortunes of the Everton players in their recent League games, the result simply substantiates the opinions that have been gradually formed by their play at Manchester and Nottingham. A team that can only score one goal in three successive matches, and even that only from a penalty kick, demonstrates clearly that there is either something wrong with the forwards, or that the defence of other teams has improved beyond recognition. After the display against the Rovers, one must reluctantly come to the conclusion that it is the former of this supposition that has been the cause of the recent failure of the Everton players. It is pretty certain that there is at times a ‘'slump'' in the progress of most teams through the League season, and without entering into the reasons for such an unwelcome relapse it will doubtless be sufficient for present purposes, and at the same time furnish a charitable execuse for the deterioration of the Everton team to simply state that such a wave of lost confidence is at present permeating the attacking force, and rendering at their well-meant efforts barren and void of success. There are other suggestions such as gross incapability, utter carelessness, and such-like weaknesses that might be put forward as alternative reasons, but these are most probably the arguments only of a select few, who can see nothing in a team that is not always on the winning side. By the exeuise of strong imagination it is possible to believe that the Everton forwards were really trying to score goals against the Rovers, and that their eagerness and anxiety to pile on the agony over their visitors was so rampant in their minds that this laudable ambition defeated its own object. They could not be accused of selfishness; in fact, there was too much transferring the ball from one to another, and everyone passing rarely gains goals. But even when the play was opened out, and the speedy wing men given an opportunity of remedying matters, even when perfect chances of scoring presented themselves the men appeared absolutely incapable of finding the net. There were a few decent attempts made during the game, but the golden opportunities that were lost followed in such rapid succession that the crowd, ever ready to tolerate temporary failings, waxed sarcastic and laudably demonstrated their disappointment as shot after shot went sailing into the stands, or tired about in the vicinity of the corner flag. To point out any particular weak spot in the front rank would be impossible for there was a general tendency all along the line towards lackadaisical efforts, and an absence of those qualities which have brought fame to their name as class forwards. All through the game they were as men filling square pegs into round holes. The remedy is in the players themselves, for it is impossible to conceive that they do not posses the requisite ability necessary to achieve striking successes. What is imperative is that they should infuse more determination into their work, and not be so easily and completely satisfied with an occasional clever effort. Dash and vigorous methods are entirely lacking at present, and keenness to put on goals is not a strong point. A hold leader might rouse them from their slumbers but whether Beveridge is capable of bring about this revolution is a very moot point. It might also be beneficial if the forwards, particularly played as if they were building up a reputation for themselves, and not reclining drowsily on the supports of past fame, which are very liable to collapse. Muir executed much creditable clearance in goal, and two shots, one from Whittaker and another from Blackburn, would have beaten any hesitating custodian. Balmer tackled and kicked with vigour, and Wolstenholmes was the pick of the halfback division. The Rovers displayed commerdabe energy and actively more noticeable in the first half than after the interval, and whilst leading the way for the greater part of the initial moiety, they were less dangerous in the second half, though whenever they broke away they gave Everton defence an anxious time of it. The chief feature of their play was the intiring endeavors of every member of the team to obtain success, and in this respect A.Whittaker Houlker, Haworth, Crompton, and Whittaker the custodian were the most prominent. The Rovers fully deserved to share the points, but they were fortunate in finding Everton in one of their feeblest moods-one which would have caused scarely any League eleven in the Country much anxiety.


STOKE 0 EVERTON 2 (Game 350)

November 12 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team journeyed to Stoke on Saturday, and with the exception of Sharp, who was performing in the Inter-League contest, were represented as on the previous Saturday while Stoke were at full strength. The sides faced as follow: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth and Abbott halfbacks, Taylor, McDonald, Beveridge, Settle (captain), and Turner forwards. Stoke: - Wilkes, goal, Capewell, and Durber, backs, Leach, Wood, and Bradley, halfbacks, Johnson, Watson, Higginson, Maxwell, and Jones, forwards. Everton started well, but retaliating Maxwell shot strongly in only to find Balmer in the way. Following a further move to the Stoke goal, the home side again returned to the attack, and for some time caused the Everton defenders much anxiety. The left wing were the more prominent, and on Maxwell sending across, Johnson shot against the side of the post. At length Beveridge led his men on, and passing out to the left, Turner, was given a good opening, which was not excepted. Meanwhile the Everton right had not been over well attended to, but eventually Taylor and McDonald broke away, though they invariably not with stout opposition from Bradley, and Durber. Play proceeded on fairly even lines up to the interval, when there was no scoring. Immediately on resuming the Everton forwards took up the running, and Wilkes was lucky in saving from a melee in goal. A little later, Muir saved grandly from Higginson and following some spirited play in the Stoke half, Taylor scored a splendid goal. The home van played in spirited fashion, and but for the sterling defence of Balmer and fine saves by Muir must have drawn level. Johnson twice tested the keeper with clever shots to no avail, and as the end arrived Everton swept down, and following some smart play by Abbott, Turner and Settle, the ball was put across and netted by McDonald. Nothing further was scored, and Everton won by 2 goals to nil.



November 12 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Goodison Park in fine weather. Both clubs were representative and Wilkinson started for the visitors, who were early put on the defensive, and from a corner, Everton almost did the trick. After Crelley had cleared a dangerous rush by the visitors left, Everton came away, and Sullivan, was beaten by an easy shot by Corrin. Padiham attacked strongly, but Kitchen saved well. soon after Corrin scored a second goal for Everton. In the second half Everton had most of the play, but Corrin was injured but although Everton were thus handicapped they scored two goals though Barlow and won by 4 goals to nil. (Game 11) Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Halliday and Crelley, backs, Blythe, Green, and Green, halfbacks, Roche, Barlow, Worthington, Gray, and Corrin, forwards.



Irish League v English League

November 12 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Jack Sharp, played for the English League and help the English to a four goal to two win at Cliftonvill Belfast, in front of 7,000 spectators.


November 12, 1900. The Glasgow Herald.

Both sides were well represented in this match at Stoke, and attracted by the promise of a good game, 8,000 spectators assembled. At the start the weather was fine, but ten minutes after the kick-off there was a heavy hailstorm. Fortunately, however, this was of short duration. The first half was pretty even, each side attacking in turn, neither team could gain any definite advantage, and the play was unmarked by incident until just before the interval, when Everton secured two corners. Both of these, however, proved fruitless. The home forwards worked well together, but they could not get through, and when the interval was reached, there was still no score. The second half opened in favour of Everton, who after Wilkes had saved several times, Scored through Taylor –this at the end of 17 minutes. Stoke tried hard to draw level, but were unsuccessful in their endeavours. Just on time, Everton went further ahead by the aid of Taylor and won by two goals to nil.



November 12 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

After the exhibition of ‘'how not to do it'' which had been given by the Everton forwards during the past month it can hardly be said that the supporters of the club viewed the visit to Stoke with any degree of confidence. There was no uneasy fear prevailing that the same ineptitude, which had recently distinguished the front line, would again be in evidence. On the other hand, some sanguine individuals leaned to the opinion that recent display had been so shockingly bad that the long lane of non-success must assuredly have a turning. Those who belong to the latter class have now the opportunity of enjoying the fruits of their prescience. Not only did Everton go to the Pottery town, but they conquered by 2 goals to nil. For the benefit of enthusiasts who like to spend a day at a football match a long way from home, special trains were ran to Stoke, and though they were not too well filled, the large hearted sympathizers with Everton's late misfortunes, who made the journey had no reason to regret the trouble which they had complacently sought. They had this satisfaction at least-they saw the Everton forwards score a couple of goals, and this was double that any regular follower of the club had gone at the four previous matches in which the team had engaged. While Everton acquired a couple of much needed points, it cannot be said that the form displayed was altogether satisfactory. Taken as a whole there was little to choose between the teams, but-and herein comes the all important point- the Evertonians were awarded a couple of goals, and with the necessary couple of points. In the first half of the game, Stoke, if anything had the better of the argument. On the greasy turf their men seemed more at home, although during this period, no two forwards could have tried harder for their side than did Settle and Turner. Stoke were by no means so scientifically clever as Everton, but with the visiting right wing comparatively at a standstill, they appeared to better advantage when it came to a question of an attack all along the line. Many a time and often, despite the greasy ball, the rival centre halves, Booth and Wood were responsible for breaking up combination, and neither goalkeeper had any claim to the honour of the clean sheet at half time, for the simple reason, that neither was ever fully tested. At the same time, let it be stated both Muir, and Wilkes proved equal to all emergencies, which in both cases were by no means ardious. The second half was more vigorous and exciting than the initial period. Everton at the outset looked certain scores, and then within ten minutes the Potters threw away a couple of glorious chances. Suddenly the Evertonians dashed away, and Taylor blocking the ball between the opposing half, and left backs, shot the leather past Wilkes at terrific speed. The point was somewhat loudly disputed on the ground of offside, but the referee rightly gave no beed to the protests. This success imparted new life to the Evertonians, and Stoke were a beaten team, more especially we a few minutes from time after fine work by Abbott, Turner and Settle, a centre was turned to account by McDonald, who met the ball with his knee. The victory was the most decisive that Everton has won at Stoke for many a long day. They were lucky it is true, but still, it is the first piece of luck they have had for some time. Muir Balmer, and Watson formed a magnificent rearguard, and while little exception could be taken to the halfbacks, there is still room for improvement in the front line. Beveridge put in many pretty touches, but he has still a lot to learn before he can hope to be a skillful pivot of the Everton attack. To Taylor has fallen the lot of breaking the sequence of non-scoring matches and all Evertonians will rejoice at his success. That he has plenty of football in him is very evident, and the difficulty with the Everton directorate is how best to utilise it. Although defeated and occupying a lowly position in the League table Stoke is by no means a bad team. It Wood have one of the smartest centre-halfs in the Country, indeed, the halfbacks line with the assistance of a man like Capewell in the rear, ought to render their defence one of the strongest in the League. Where they lose, is in the unevenness of the front line. At times the men are clever enough, but their spurts are but flashes in the pan and no one is more of a meteoric star than Maxwell. There will have to be a levelling up process before Stoke make a move upward in the League table. Meanwhile Everton can rejoice over the acquisition of a couple of points, which they acknowledged from the first, would be dearly won.


November 19, 1900. The Glasgow Herald.

The visit of the Albion to Everton proved a strong attraction. Beautiful weather prevailed and some 12,000 spectators assembled at Goodison Park. The Everton forwards had all the better of the opening play, and eight minutes from the start Taylor got through with a fine shot. For a time after the exchange went somewhat in favour of the Albion, but they make poor use of their opportunities. The game than became very tame, but forwards the interval Everton again pressed heavily. However, nothing further was done, and at change of ends Everton led by a goal to nil. The opening play of the second half favoured Everton, but their efforts to score were of a very feeble character. On both sides defence prevailed over the attack, and it was only on odd occasions that the goalkeeper's were called upon. After the Albion had pressed, Everton monopolised the remaining play, but could do nothing further, Everton thus won by a goal to nil.



November 19 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The success of the Everton team at Stoke on the previous Saturday included a good number of spectators to make their way to Goodison Park, as at the commencement of the game there would be quite 12000 persons. The sides were represented as follow: - Everton: - Muir, goal, Balmer, and Watson, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth and Abbott, halfbacks, Taylor, McDonald Beveridge, Settle (captain), and Turner, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Reader, goal, Adams, and Dunn, backs, Banls, Williams, and Hadley, halfbacks, Chadburn Simmons, Stevenson and Roberts, forwards. The opening play favoured the home side, and Wolstenholmes and Taylor in turn sent in shots which, however, caused no anxiety to Reader. After Muir had been called upon, the home right wing, made headway and on Booth putting out to Turner the last named centred splendidly, and Taylor headed into the net. This success came after about seven minutes play. Returning again Reader saved cleverly from a corner and within the next few minutes, two easy chances of increasing the lead were missed by Settle and Taylor. The Albion left were then in evidence, but owing to the vigilance of Balmer, and Watson they were rarely allowed to get within easily distance of Muir. Play toned down considerably, and almost with exception the movements of the players up to the interval were void of interest. No further scoring took place up to half-time, when Everton led by 1 goal to nil. As in the first half, Everton were the first to be aggressive, but their final efforts showed no improvement, and Reader cleared with ease. After a length spell of uninteresting play the Albion right wing broke away, and almost captured the Everton goal, a capital shot from Chadburn glarcing from the post out of play. The visitors now had quite as much of the game as their opponents and but for the superb defence of Balmer and Watson must have equallised. An opening was found for Wheldon, who made a ridiculous attempt to score, and though the Evertonians rallied the Albion towards the finish put on pressure, without, however, tangible result and Everton won by a goal to nil.



November 19 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Ostwaldtwiste. Play opened evenly, the Everton forwards combining well. Whittaker and Bolton sent in good shots, but Kitchen cleared. After a quarter of an hour's play, Gray scored for Everton. George having no chance. Everton scored a second from a well-placed corner by Roche. Oswaldtwiste scored from a penalty, Heargreaves putting the ball through. Everton scored a third from a corner. Half time Everton 4 goals Ostwaldtwiste 1. Resuming Ostwaldtwiste played with more dash, and Bentham can near to scoring. Continuing Whittaker opened the scoring. Gray put on a fifth for Everton. Then Whittaker ran down the left and from his centre Bentham scored for the Rovers, and Everton won a fast game by 5 goals to 4. (Game 12) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Halliday, and Crelley, backs, Blythe, Green and Taylor (r), halfbacks Roche, Barlow Worthington, Gray, and Chadwick (t) forwards.



November 19 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

After the victory at Stoke, the supporters of the Everton club anticipated the visit of West Bromwich with feelings of a confident nature, and the only question worth considering was the extent of their team's triumph. After Saturday's display, however, the wonders is how Everton managed to defeat the Potters; either the latter are a rank incompetent side, or else Everton play a vastly superior away from home than they do on their own enclosure. Their two most recent performances at Goodison Park have been sufficient to damp the most ardent enthusiasm, though it is only fair to add that the most prominent weakness has been witnessed amongst the forwards. Against the Rovers they couldn't score a single goal, and, in fact, never gave the impression that they were likely to net the ball. They did obtain one point on Saturday but this was scored by a player who had been relegated to the ranks of the reserves team, as past his prime, and had only come back into First League football the previous week through the absence of Sharp, who was assisting the English team at Belfast. The methods adopted by the Everton forwards possessed not a single redeeming feature; their passing was altogether useless, their shooting was practically an unknown quantity, and their energy and determination were conspicuous chiefly on account of their absence. The present combination has had an extended trial, and has proved itself absolutely incapable, particularly in the home matches, and more football of this character was simply drive the majority of people elsewhere. The front rank badly requires a leader, but Beveridge in this respect might just as well be out of the team. Proudfoot was not an ideal centre, but he could keep the wings going, and he was generally in at the finish. There is no freedom whatever in the movements of the front rank at present; they have the brake on continuously, and their combination has entirely disappeared. Some radical change in imperative if the club is desirous of maintaining its reputation amongst the chosen of the League. The football that has been put before the crowds at Everton during the last month has not been worthy of a third rate side. The forwards are solely to blame, for they make no headway with the chances given by the halves, their passes are invariably backward instead of onward, and on Saturday the majority of their transfer went straight to a West Bromwich player, the greatest offender in this respect being Turner, who seemed to posses no command over the ball. One of the most disappointing players in the front rank is Settle, and if the captain of the team does not improve and exhibit some of his talent ability, one will begin to wonder whether he ever had a reputation as a clever football artist. It is passing strange that Everton with its ample resource cannot furnish a side capable of giving a tolerant crowd some equivalent for its ardent support. The only player in the front rank who shaped even moderately was Taylor, the remainder gave an excruciating exhibition that was defend of all pretensions to skill or ability. The defence of the team is and has been its mainstay for some time. But the backs cannot for ever do the work of eleven men without feeling the train. With the forwards doing their fair share of the play, the back division, particular the halves, would doubtless be seen to greater advantage. Even under present conditions the defence is remarkably sound, and what an off day with the backs would mean to the club is too dreadful to imagine. West Bromwich are likewise not a great team, and with the chance they had should at least have drawn level. Roberts and Stevenson best represented the forwards, but there was not the same keenness in their rushing tactics as in former years. The halves and backs were fairly good, sound, but by no means brilliant, though this was the chief feature of the whole game. Very few incidents occurred which tended to raise the character of the contest-from the slough of incompetence to the height of a fairly moderate standard. There was little credit gained by either side, but whatever there was must be awarded the Albion, for they were the visiting side, and a poorly represented one in addition.



November 26 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

The visit of the Wednesday Club to the district following upon their defeat of Liverpool the previous week resulted in a good gathering at Goodison Park, for at the start there would be quite 12,000 spectators present. The sides lined up as follows: - Everton: - Muir goal, Eccles, and Balmer backs Wolstenholmes, Booth, and Abbott, halfbacks Taylor, Settle (captain), Proudfoot, McDonald, and Turner forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Massey goal, Layton, and Langley backs, Ferrier, Crawshaw, and Ruddlesdin, halfbacks, McWhinnie, Davis, Wilson, Wright, and Malloch forwards. Wednesday started but the Everton forwards soon got into a good stride, and weak play by the Sheffield backs gave Taylor a chance, which however, was not put to good advantage. Turner also failed with an open goal, and during the first ten minutes of play the home side should really have established a lead. The Wednesday left wing pair then got going, and from a free kick Mallock put the ball past Muir, but was offside. Play now became very keen and the visitors kept the Everton full back fully extended. Following a smart move by the Everton right the ball was centred, and Proudfoot scored an excellent goal, which Massey had no chance of saving. The home side looked like increasing their lead during the next few minutes, but were now opposed to an improved defence, and once again the play toned down to a level equally. Towards the interval a sudden break away by the Blades brought about the downfall of the Everton goal, Muir had partially saved from McWhinnie who had centred the ball almost from the line and Davis meeting the return, scored an easy goal. At half time the score was even. On restarting the game was again evenly contested, and both goalkeepers were in turn called upon. The succeeding play however was not of an interesting character, and finishing touches by both sets of forwards were faulty in the extreme. McDonald broke the monotony with a well-directed shot, and McWhinnie also tested Muir with a clever effort, but these were the exceptions. The visiting backs indulged freely in kicking the ball out of play, and in a very dull light the game ended without further scoring, and Everton won by a one goal to nil.



November 26 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

At Leyland. The visitors had the best of the opening play. Corrin got away on the left, but was pulled up by when dangerous. Bannister made a nice run, but was neatly robbed by Crelly. Hunt made a good shot from Corrin close in. Salte gave a corner, which Roche put by Everton now experienced hard lines. Hunt saving three times in quick succession. Play was now of an even character, both sides attacking in turn. Roche compelled Hunt to throw away, a feat he repeated a minute later from Gray. Worthington received the ball from Gray, and eluding Yates and Brown and scored for the visitors. The score at half time was Everton 1; Leyland nil. On resuming Hunt was called upon to save from Gray, and Corrin. Brown when hard pressed conceded a fruitless corner. Dixon made a run half the length of the field, his first attempt just going by the post. Roche was prominent for a neat run, but was robbed by Brown when dangerous. Hunt saved marvelously from Dawson close on time, and Everton won by 2 goals to nil. (Game 13) Everton: - Kitchen goal, Eccles and Crelly backs, Blythe, Green, and Taylor (r), halfbacks, Roche, Dawson, Worthington Gray, and Corrin forwards.



November 26 1900. The Liverpool Mercury

Judging from the manner in which Everton started their game with Sheffield Wednesday, it appeared as if a much needed improvement in the tactics of the home forwards were going to be witnessed, and indeed during the greater portion of the first half, such a welcome change was noticeable. After the interval, however, play degenerated considerably, and much of the earlier smartness disappeared as gradually as the waning light darkened into a disky gloom, in which the closing stages of the contest were carried on. Under these conditions a draw was the most satisfactory result, and in this case the final score was a fitting termination to a moderate game. The reintroduction of Proudfoot was a commendable move on the part of those who have the duty of selecting the team, and though by no means a great success, the ex-Rover's display was a magnificent triumph in comparison with what has been witnessed in the centre since Beveridge occupied this post. Though rather clammy in receiving the ball, Proudfoot possesses plenty of dash and is the best man Everton can place in this enormous post. The goal he scored was the result of a superb shot, and it is something worth chronicling about the Everton front rank that one of its members can occasionally send in a decent ball. With perhaps, one exception, the disposition of the players as decided upon to face the Blades was the best that could be done. McDonald was a more suitable partner for Turner than the skipper of the team, and when one recalls the fine display given by this pair against Manchester City in the concluding match of last season, it is difficult to understand why the left wing should ever have been trifled with. It was not perfection by any means on Saturday, but it was a district advance on what had previously been seen this season, and this part of the forward line might with advantage be severely left alone. There was certainly more dash exhibited by the whole line of forwards, a fact in itself worthy of notice in these days of small mercies. But the shooting, or, rather, that which by a certain stretch of imagination can he designated by this term, it still wretched, and the shot with which Proudfoot beat Massey came like a gleam of light or meteoric flash after the murky gloom of weeks of blundering. The fact that there was manifest improvement in the initial moiety of the game is some consolation for the difference in result as compared with the previous week, but a draw at home, and with opponents of the calibre of the Blades, is a poor substitute for what was naturally anticipated. The absence of Balmer made a great difference to the Everton defence, and the goal scored by the visitors was due to hesitancy on the part of the home full backs in tackling the Sheffield inside right. A determination defender would have baulked Davis before he had even got into a favourable position for centring and, for once in a way Muir was not completely free from blame in repelling what was at first a fairly easy ball. In the second half of the game neither forwards nor backs were seen to much advantage, and the Blades came near putting on another goal from a splendid shot by McWhinnie. The visitors would doubtless be entirely satisfied at being able to claim a share of the honours at the finish and they certainly deserved, on the play, one point. Their forwards were very speedy, but erratic near goal, though the outside wingmen and Davis often sent across accurate shots, Which however rarely caused Muir much difficulty. The halves were persistent, but the full backs were very feeble, and one of their strongest points appears to be their ability to kick over the side stands. Massey kept a good goal, and like vis-à-vis Muir, had some occasional teasers to deal with. The Everton backs were fairly sound, but the halves were not so smart as usual, and a better understanding with the front rank in necessary. Although the draw was not as satisfactory from an Everton point of view as the result of the previous week, the play was slightly better than that than witnessed, but it is still along way removed from that which is naturally expected from an Everton team.