February 1902


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 01 February 1902

These teams met at Bramell Lane this afternoon, in find weather, before a crowd of 12.000 spectators. Both sides made several alterations. At the outset Everon, who faced wind and sun, had to act on the defensive, and during a melee in front Kitchen the custodian had a couple of good shots to deal with, which he got rid in cool fashion. Everton then had a turn, but the forwards were disjointed and could not get in close proximity to Foulke, and I United once more took the attack up the attack. Common putting in a capital fast shot. Singleton at outside left was hereabouts showing clever work, and twice broke through but in vain. The Everton custodian was twice exerted to the full. Barnes just missed scoring. Half-Time—United 0. Everton 0. In the second half United almost scored through Henley and Barnes, but Balmer was very safe back, whilst Everton's shooting was weak when they got well down, the ground accounting for many mistakes by both sides. United pressed hotly to the close, taking successive coners, but meeting a splendid defence, and though United pressed up to the finish nothing was scored. Result; United 0, Everton 0


This and That

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 01 February 1902

Southampton are partial ex-Everton left wings. Some time ago it was Chadwick and Mil ward, now it reads Chadwick and J. Turner.

Stringfellow, the clever Portsmouth half-back, hails from Southport, and was lost to Everton through a question of railway fare from Southport to Liverpool each week.

It is a rather curious coincidence that both Everton and Sunderland, the two favourites for League honours, have each six of their last ten Everton this season have been the means of unearthing two really promising centre-forwards in Young and Bowman, both of whom are coming the front with leaps and bounds.


February 3 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Played at Bramell lane, before 14,000 spectators. Neither side was at its best representation. Everton faced a stiff breeze, and for a lengthy period were compelled to defend. The United forwards played up with great dash, and on several occasions the Everton goal had narrow escape. Following a short attack at the United end, Kitchen accomplished a couple of splendid saves from melees in the goalmouth, and just on the interval Barnes had an open goal, but failed to take advantage. At half time there was no scoring, and Everton, on resuming, with the wind now in their favour, showed a bolder front, but never looked like defeating Foulkes. Then Hedly and Barnes narrowly missed the net and Balmer, who throughout played excellent football, checked another strong attack. Towards the close the United pressed hotly, taking several successive corners, but the Everton defence held out splendidly and at the finish the game remained drawn. Everton: - Kitchen goal, Balmer and Sharp (b), backs, Wolsteholmes Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp (j), Proudfoot, Young, Rankin, and Singleton, forwards. Sheffield United: - Foulkes, goal, Thickett, and Boyle, backs, Wilkinson, Morren, and Needham, half-backs, Bennett, Common, Hedley Barnes, and Bourne, forwards.



February 3 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination (Game 21)

At Goodison Park, in brilliant weather, and before a good gate. County won the toss, Bowman kicking off against the wind, and after desultory play Roberts opened the scoring for the County. Bowman equalised and Chadwick placed Everton ahead, before half time. Resuming Everton attacked strongly, and the ball being rushed through during a scrimmage. Patterson then added a fourth, and the County put an other one and eventually Everton winning by 7 goals to 2. Everton: - Muir, goal, Watson, and Sharp, backs, Boyle (captain), Clark, and Blythe, half-backs, Paterson, Bowman, Proudfoot, Bone, and Chadwick (j), forwards.



February 3 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team accomplished what, under exceptional circumstances must be regarded as a very creditable performance at Bramell lane on Saturday. Their forward line was practically reorganised, and it redounds greatly to the defence that the team came through an arduous League struggle against Sheffield United, who laterly have been doing great things in League and cup ties. The game judged from the standard of ordinary competitive football, was however most uninteresting by reason of the fact that it was only a case of an alert front rank trying conclusion with an equally strong and determined set of defenders. As far as Everton were concerned their forwards, who never appeared to find their game failed, to give one the impression that they would ever beat the watchful Foulkes. There were attendant circumstances that robbed the game of much of its interest. To begin with, neither side was as representative as usual, and both had a new left wing, though Everton were probably handicapped the most and Rankin and Singleton had not previously taken part in League football. Again the ground was of a treacherous nature, and rendered progression a difficult matter not to mention the vagaries of a strong east wind. The United had by far the greater proportion of the play, and against a less resourceful keeper than Kitchen must have opened their account early on. It was only on odds occasions that the “Blues” managed to get within shooting ranges, and then their efforts to defeat Foulkes were of a very elementary character. In fact, it was not until the second half was well in progress that they appeared dangerous, as the result of their first corner in the game, and then the burly custodian brought off a capital save, which was practically all he had to do during the 90 minutes. The Everton reserves players did not suffer by comparison with Sharp and Young, and with experience Singleton will probably turn out a successful winger. Several of his movements troubled Wilkinson and Thickett, but he failed at the critical moment. Proudfoot at one period put in much good work, but the line as a whole rarely soared above the level of mediocrity. Of the United forwards, the ubiquitous Common was always a source of danger to the Everton defenders. His passing and shooting and footwork generally were the main feature of the home attack, and had Bennett been up to his usual standard much good work would been turned to account. The outside man finished badly, and at the other end of the line Barnes failed at an easy chance; but taking the quintet all through they were fat ahead of their opponents in skill on the day's play. At half-back the sides compared favourably, but Balmer and Kitchen displayed the finest defensive work. The former timed the ball exactly, and when the United looked certain scorers be anticipated the ball to a nicety, and rendered Kitchen the greater assistance. Whatever weakness the Everton custodian had shown in the Cup-tie, it was quite wiped out by his very fine display on Saturday. He was tested with shots of every description, and right gallantly did he repel them. Foulkes post was quite a sinecure, and Thickett and Boyle were not sorely pressed. The game showed comparatively the triumph of defence over agile forwards, and the most conspicuous figures of the match were Balmer and Kitchen without whose brilliant efforts Everton might easily have been trounced in pronounced fashion.



February 10 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Not a fixture was decided in the district on Saturday, and rarely has such a complete cessation from football been witnessed. The heavy down fall of snow caused among of abandonment's, the friendly game at Goodison Park, where West Bromwich have put in an appearance. The ground, and stands were, however, covered to a depth of several inches with a white mante, and early in the day the Albion were telephoned not to make the journey. Everton intended playing two new forwards from Newtown, and these recruits will be given an opportunity of showing their skill at an early date.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 15 February 1902

At Goodison Park. The visitors were completely overmatched, and in the first half Chadwick, Bone, Bowman, and Patterson all scored for the home side, who led at the interval by four goals to nothing. Nothing further took place, Everton being content with the lead, and Bury failing in their attempts to score they played a spiritless game. Result; Everton reserves 4, Bury Reserves 0.

BURY 1 EVERTON 0 (Game 397)

February 17 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

These aspirants to League and Cup-tie honours respectively met on Saturday to decide their return League fixture. Everton turned out five minutes late, but winning the toss, the game opened at a fairly brisk pace. The Everton right made some progress, but found in McEwan a steady defender and the ball rolled over the line. A free kick against Lindsay placed Everton in a good position, but Proudfoot misjudged the rebound and lost a good opening. The home left wing pair now put in a splendid combined movement, and after Plant had outwitted Wolstenholmes he sent the ball to Sagar, who scored with a magnificent rising shot into the corner of the net. This success came after play had been in progress ten minutes, and responding to the enthusiasm of the crowd the Bury players put in an extra effort, and were soon in dangerous proximity to the Everton goal. Wood again missed by a mere shave, while his partner contributed several fine centres, which were luckily got away. The Everton front rank were making off when Settle came under the ban of the referee, and following an injudicious pass from Proudfoot the home backs were enabled to place their forwards one again in a good position. Half time arrived with the Bury forwards pressing. Score Bury 1 goal Everton nil. Settle, who had been injured in the first half, did not turn out on the resumption and the Everton team was greatly handicapped. Still, the quartet of forwards shaped well, and a good movement led by Sharp, looked promising. Young, however, shot wide, but Proudfoot and Sharp again took up the attack, when McEwan came to rescure of the home side. Final Bury 1 goal Everton nil. Bury: - Montgomery, goal, Lindsay, and McEwan, backs, Johnson, Thorpe, and Ross, half-backs, Gray, Wood, Sagar, Monks (a), and Plant, forwards. Everton: - Kitche, goal, Balmer, and Sharp (b), backs, Wolsteholmes, Booth (captain), Abbott, half-backs, Sharp (j), Proudfoot, Young, Settle, and Settle, forwards. Referee Mr.J.H Strawson



February 17 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination (Game 22)

At Goodison Park. The ground was covered by a couple of inches of snow. The Everton team displayed very fine form in the first half, and adapting, themselves to the conditions much better then their visitors, had considerably the better of the game. Bones scored the first gaol, after about an quarter of an hour's play, and before the interval Chadwick Paterson and Bowman put on further points. At the interval Everton led by four goals to nil. Bury shaped much better in the second half, which was unproductive although both Thompson and Muir were frequently tested, and Everton eventually winning by four goals to nil.

Everton: - Muir, goal, Watson, and Gillespie, backs, Boyle (captain), Clark, and Brown, half-backs, Rankin, Bowman, Proudfoot, Bone, and Singleton forwards.



February 17 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Had Everton won at Bury on Saturday, it would have materially intensified the interest in the struggle for this season's championship of the League, more especially as the Wearsideres lost a valuable couple of points to Notts Forest. Both clubs are still in the same position, Sunderland having four points in hand over Everton; and seeing that the present leaders have yet to visit Goodison Park, a victory at Bury would have given the Evertonians a splendid chance of drawing level with the Northern team. Saturday's game fluctuated considerably, and while on the one hand the Bury eleven were more consistent in their movements Everton had chances opened out which, had they been accepted, would have placed the issue in their favour beyond doubt. Early on Proudfoot allowed a couple of fairly good openings to pass unheeded; while towards the end of the game the sides were not blessed with luck, as a fine shot from Young was saved by excellent goalkeeping, and another from Abbott, at terrific pace, was unfortunately charged down by the Everton centre at a juncture when Montgomery was practically helpless. Still though the issue might have resulted favourably to Everton, the visitors could not claim to have been the superior side. The Bury forwards were more methodical in their movements, and had they not suffered from the usual fault of shooting direct at the keeper, most have had a more substantial lead. Kitchen played a grand game, and under the conditions could not have been blamed if his charge had been penetrated more frequently. His flying kicks were a feature, of his display, and the accuracy with which he timed them stamped him as one of the most resourceful of custodians. One save in particular from Monks at a close range was a great effort, and all round he covered himself with honours. None the less effective were the endeavors of the backs to keep their strong opponents at bay. They tackled and cleared in masterly fashion, and were seen at their best when hard pressed. More than once Balmer lifted the ball out of the goalmouth, when scoring was imminent, and B.Sharp improved considerably upon previous performances. The trio formed a capital defence, and the Bury crowd warmly appreciated their exertions. The half backs had plenty of work on hand with the lively Bury forwards, and while Booth and Wolstenholmes were mainly engaged in breaking up the combination of the home forwards, Abbott was noticeable with some well-directed attempts to score, two of which under ordinary conditions would certainly have found the net. The forwards were uneven especially in the first half, when several chances were allowed to go a begging. There was not that crisp movements and smart passing in which they have proved themselves capable exponents, and much of what looked like producing a tangible points was more the outcome of individual than combined effort. Bell dropped in several fine centres and on one occasions must himself have scored had he not shown signs of distress as the results of his recently injured arm. In the second half of the game that van had evidently recovered themselves, for they were seen quite a different guise, and had Leaks them able to resume the result might have been quite a different complexion. The inside left had collided with Lindsay in the first portion of the game, and was not able to turn out after breathing space, and this was most unfortunate fir the visiting side, as the quartet were quite holding their own. Still, taking the game all though, Bury played the better football and deserved their lead, but there will need to be a big improvement if they are to get the better of Southampton on Saturday next. They sent in numerous shots, many of which, were besides the mark, and probably this was due to the unsteadying influence attendant upon the state of the ground. Under favourable conditions one could imagine them a most powerful side, and the forwards back up, by a clever trio of halves, should surely vex the stoutest of defenders. It was a fine shot with which Sagar defeated Kitchen, and the extreme outside men know exactly where and when to centre the ball. Johnson played a clever half-backs games as no doubt Bell and Settle would simply testify, and in Thorpe the club are fortunate in possessing a capable centre half on the youthful side. Ross like Abbott, was prominent with some clever shots, and in all the Bury, half-backs line proved, themselves a powerful force to contend with. The backs Lindsay and McEwan played a sturdy, fearless game, and, by way of a charge, Montgomery was above adverse criticism. He kept out a couple of warm shots in clever fashion, and no doubt his improved display will restore him again to popular favour.


Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 22 February 1902

Everton have put Muir (goalkeeper), Watson (left back), Worthington (centre forward), Paterson (inside right), and Roche (outside right) on the transfer list.


Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 24 February 1902

For to-day's match at the Crystal Palace, several changes have become necessary on the North side. Needham, Bloomer, and Lipsham are unable to play owing to the undecided Cup-ties, and Settle is also an absentee. Their places will be taken Abbott (Everton). Simmons (West Bromwich Albion). Wooldridge (Wolverhampton Wanderers), and Blackburn (Blackburn Rovers) respectively. the South team the absentees are A. Chadwick, G. O. Smith, and J. Turner. These vacancies will filled W. Smith (Oxford City) E. Booker (Cambridge University), and B. O. Corbet t (Corinthians) respectively.


February 24 1902. The Liverpool Courier

The return League match between Everton and Blackburn Rovers was played at Goodison park on Saturday in weather of the most uninviting description. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer, and Sharp (b), backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain), and Abbott, half-backs, Sharp (j), Taylor, Young, Bone, and Chadwick (j), forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - McIver, goal, Crompton (captain), and Darroch, backs, Howarth, McClure, and Houlker half-back, Whittaker, Somers, Dewhurst, Morgan, and Blackburn (f) forwards. Referee, Mr.F.Kirkham. Crompton won the toss, and the Rovers had the advantage of the wind. Young started in the presence of some 10,000 spectators, and a free kick at once fell to Everton. The ball was well placed, but Crompton relieved, and the visiting left wing became prominent. Blackburn forcing a corner off, Balmer, which came to nothing. The ball went out of play two or three times, but for all that the play was interesting, and exciting with the visitors holding the advantage. Balmer dallied rather too long, and in trying to recover possession was knocked over by Dewhurst. The ball, however, was safely got away, and in further play each side was penalised for foul play. From a free kick, Everton made headway, and Chadwick shot just outside. The attack was maintained and for some moments the Rovers goal was in great jeopardy. First Chadwick banged in a free shot, and this was followed by another stinging effort on the part of Abbott. Unfortunately for the Evertonians on each occasions there was a Blackburn man in the way. Still this clever exhibition on the part of the home attack particularly the left wing, aroused the enthusiasm of the crowd. For some time the ball was kept in the visitors half, and a dangerous middle by J.Sharp was only negotiated with difficulty. A foul against Taylor transferred play to the other end, where Bert Sharp intercepted in the nick of time, a long shot from Houlker. A corner fell to the visitors, but the defenders could not be caught napping. After midfield play, the Rovers became very aggressive and Morgan put in a beautiful shot, which Kitchen cleared, in his best style. For some time the visitors kept the Everton defence very busy, and once Kitchen took a flying kick at a shot from Morgan with satisfactory result. Then Jack Sharp had a dash down the wing, but was too closely attended by Darroch, and in twinkling, play was transferred to the other end. Whittaker got in a nice centre, which Balmer ought to have intercepted, but he missed the ball, Kitchen ran out to met the leather, but meanwhile Dewhurst had pounced upon it, and safely landed it in the net. This success after twenty minutes, inspired, the visitors, who looked like adding another goal to their record. Kitchen however, intercepted a capital attempt by Whittaker. Following this the Everton men were applauded for a gallant attack, which deserved an equalising goal. Young headed a centre from Jack Sharp to, Bone, who put in a swift low shot, which brought McIver to his knee. Somehow the goalkeeper managed to scoop the ball away, though he seemed to be almost on the line. A moment later Young called upon the Rovers custodian with an unexpected shot from long range. Still keeping up the pressure, the Everton forwards made matters warm for the Rovers defencers, and on one occasion Taylor was unlucky when within short range of goal. At last the home team was driven back, and from a free kick, well taken by Darroch; Kitchen saved grandly from Dewhurst, at the expense of a corner. So far the Rovers had proved themselves the smarter team. Balmer was penalised for jumping, and from the free kick, the ball was banged hard against the post. Following this, J.Sharp led a terrific onslaught, in which, all the forwards participated, but the defence prevailed, although McIver was called upon to deal with a dangerous shot from Bert Sharp. The Rovers paid a brief visit to the other end, and than Jack Sharp and Taylor took the ball down splendidly, resulting in Taylor shooting at McIver, who saved at the expense of a corner, which was only got away with great difficulty. Everton kept up the pressure for a considerable time without success, and then, from a breakaway Somers, registered a second goal for the visitors. Half time Everton nil, Blackburn Rovers 2.

In the second half the first aggressive movements came from the visiting left wing, but just as they were becoming dangerous they were pulled up for a foul. The home left wing retaliated, Chadwick being responsible for smart work. The play was not very interesting until Whittaker made off on his own account and banged in a centre which Blackburn might have easily have converted. The game was delayed for a while owing to Morgan being winded. Jack Sharp got in a couple of centres during the brief period that Morgan was being attended to by his trainer, but the Rovers defence prevailed, both backs indulging in vigorous kicking. There was however, a lack of method in the work of the Everton front line, and play was just now a very scrambling order. Booth gave a capital opening to Jack Sharp, who, however, missed a glorious chance of reducing the Rovers lead, and a moment later the same player was again at fault. The Rovers removed play to the other end without becoming dangerous, and Houlkes being penalised for pushing Young. Everton as the outcome of a few free kicks were once more acting on the aggressive. So vigilant however, were the visiting defenders that the home forwards were never allowed to trouble McIver, and when they did have a chance the ball was sent anywhere but in the direction of the goalkeeper. Kitchen had to meet a high dropping shot from Blackburn, and following a free kick the Everton custodian only just managed to clear at the expense of a corner. There were loud criers of “Play up, Everton” but the Everton men found their opponents a hard to nut to crack. To the finish the Rovers had the best of the play, and gained a well-deserved victory. Final; Blackburn Rovers 2 goals, Everton nil.



February 24 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Combination. (Game 23)

At Blackburn. Everton had the best of the opening exchanges. Coupe having to save several times, and Roche putting in some good shots, the Rovers right made several attempts to get away, but Watson relieved. Singleton sprinting down the left, gave Coupe a handful but slippery ground spoilt play. The home team had a turn, and scored, leading at the interval by a goal to nil. From a goal from Hoyne. Resuming Everton were quickly on the ball, and Roche equalised. The Rovers however, played up vigorously and Abbott and Hoyne added goals and Blackburn winning by 3 goals to nil.

Everton: - Muir, goal, Watson, and Balner (r), backs, Boyle (captain), Clark, and Blythe, half-backs, Makepeace, Paterson, Bowman, not-Known, and Singleton, forwards.



February 24 1902. The Liverpool Mercury

For the second time this season Everton were beaten in a League match, and at the same time suffered their third defeat at the hands of Blackburn Rovers. At Ewood Park, in the first meeting of the clubs, Everton were overthrown by 3 goals to nil, and the later were ousted from the Lancashire Cup by the same opponents in the second round at Goodison Park. There was some reason therefore, for anticipating Saturday's reverse; but such a decisive adverse verdict of two clear goals was never bargained for, and one direct result of the drubbing is to practically put Everton completely out of the running for the League championship. That the Rovers were the superior team cannot be denied, and at times they completely overplayed the home side, and during these periods the latter were made to appear a very ordinary combination. The cause of the defeat was palpable for whereas on one side dash and determination were witnessed, in the Everton ranks the movements were comparatively sluggish, and many favourable openings were rendered abortive simply because the Rovers were on the rivals before the latter could realize their position. The visiting halves never gave the Everton front rank a moment's respite, nipping in and intercepting their passing, harassing them when in possession, and keeping their own attack continually on the aggressive. In every department the Rovers could claim an advantage, and they gave no sign of weakness either fore or aft. On the other hand, Everton were decidently feeble in attack, which lacked sting, and it was only at rare intervals that any combination between the members of the front line was demonstrated. Of course much of this inefficiency was due to the persistent attention of the Rovers half back division, but apart from this they made little headway when they had the ball to themselves, and had they infused as much energy into their play as their visitors did they would most probably have averted the defeat. The reserves left wing pair did not fulfil expectations, and their laboured efforts were easily broken up and shattered by the keen incisive work of the opposing defencers. They shaped well at times and Bone put in a couple of fine shots, but like the rest of the teams, they lacked determination and goaheadedness, and in the majority of instances when the ball was placed to them they were robbed by an impulsive Rover what time they were hesitating as to the course to be pursed. At one period Abbott twice put them in possession, only to find the visitors right half despoil them, and out of cheer desperation the Everton half-backs flashed the ball to the other extremity of the line, as if disguisted with his attempts to set them going. But the forward line was very faulty throughout, and scoring goals was not their forte. The Rovers attack was of a character that would seriously endanger the most stubborn defence. There was no hesitation about their methods; when a forward got the ball he shaped as if he meant danger, and was well supported by his comrades in case of emergency. Every man was on the alert for the pass, and when it came away he darted, with the rest of the line in attendance; the ball was sent from right to left, and back again with long swinging passes, and whoever, received the final chance flashed the leather into the goal with commendable prompted. The two tricky youngsters on the extremities of the lines gave a splendid display, their speed enabling them to overcome the home defenders, and their centres coming across in such a manner as to enable their confreres to gain the greatest advantage from them. Morgan played a capital game, his passing being judicious, but he got badly winded early on in the second half, and this seemed to knock much of the keenest out of his subsequent efforts. At half back, the teams were more on an equality, but here again the Rovers excelled simply because they were more energetic in their endeavors. Booth was the pick of the Everton trio, but both Wolsteholme and Abbott had more than they could manage, in the speedy wingers of the opposite forward line. Further behind, the honours again went to the visitors, for Crompton gave a grand exhibition of accurate kicking, whilst his tackling was altogether too much for the Everton left wing. Darroch was not so conspicuous, but McIver rendered a splendid account of himself in goal, and some of his clearances were extremely fine. The Everton defence was not as reliable as usual, for Balmer made one most inexcusable blunder, and his other movements were too languid to successfully cope with the sprintly Rovers. Sharp kicked with more accuracy, and he gave McIvor a warm handful to deal with after dashing up with the ball at his toes, and shooting in from long range. Kitchen kept a good goal, but here again an unaccountable blunder gave his opponent's a goal. This somewhat discounted his otherwise excellent work, and how he managed to allow the ball to slip between his fingers and roll into the net was a mysterious to his friends as it was unacceptable. The honours of the game were undoubtedly the Rovers, but both goals should have been avoided.