November 1901


Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 02 November 1901

This League match was played at Goodison Park, in splendid weather, before 12,000 people. Everton played Clarke for Wolstenholme, who is ill, while Stoke had Roose, the International amateur, in goal, and Harris for Higginson. Play was of a pretty even description, neither side playing really good football. Both goalkeepers were called upon, but was not until near the interval that Sharp scored with a fine individual effort. Half time:—Everton, one goal; Stoke, nothing. In the second half play opened with a vigorous attack but afterwards Stoke had their full share the pressure, shooting both sides was weak. Young and Paterson for Everton and Watkins for Stoke missing fine openings. Roose cleared a wonderful shot from Sharp, and though Stoke tried hard they failed equalise. Result.: Everton 1 Stoke 0



Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 02 November 1901

At Turton. In the opening Tauton commenced brilliantly, and Muir's defence was seriously threatened. From the first run up Everton scored through Chadwrick, the home custodian failing and allowing the ball to escape into the net. Turton equalised by Walker. Even play followed, both custodians having to handle, but of the two Lill had by far the worst, to cope with. Result—TURTON 1. EVERTON RESERVE 1.

Novemeber 4 1901. The Liverpool Courier

Delightful weather prevailed on Saturday when Stoke paid the first visit of the season to Goodison Park. They included no fewer than three amateurs in their team, a fact of which no other League club can boost. The Welsh International, Roose, was in goal, and the other amateurs were Hales and Ashworth. At three o'clock the teams faced as follow: -

Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Watson, backs, Clarke, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp Paterson, Young, Settle, and Bell forwards. Stoke: - Roose goal, Meredith, and Clarke, backs, Capwell, Helford, and Ashworth halfbacks, Johnson, Halse, Watkins, Harris, and Lockett forwards. Referee. Mr.T.Kirkham.

Stoke won the toss, but gained little advantage thereby. Young started the game, and the opening stages were pretty even. Both Balmer and Meredith got in timely kicks, and then through Clarke fouling Lockett the visitors invaded Everton's territory. Sharp put in some nice work, and Young missing a chance, the Stoke Clarke cleared. Roose was called upon to handle, but the Evertonians were soon back again. Bell made a desperate effort to force his way through, and with Meredith practically beaten, Settle had a pop at goal a low shot going the wrong side of the upright. Both ends were visited in turn, the forwards on both sides seeming to have little idea of where the goal lay. Twice in quick success Kitchen had to clear his lines, and at this stage the visitors were very persistent. Hales narrowly missing the mark. The quaility of the play was disappointing. At length there was a decided change for the better from an Everton point of view. Sharp received from Paterson, and after outwitting Clarke, he raced away, and, though troubled by two opponents, managed to get in a fast low shot, quite out of the reach of Roose. It was a fine individual effort, and deserved the applause with which it was received. Roused by this reverse, Stoke attacked vigorously. They obtained a fruitless corner, and being driven back, Booth shot in, the ball going off the head of a Stoke player over the line. Everton continued to press severely, and following a corner, Paterson headed into goal, but he was adjudged off side, amid groans from the crowd. A moment later the whistle blew for the interval. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Stoke nil.

When the game was resumed, before 15,000 people, there was a smart attack by the Everton right wing, which, however, came to nothing, and equally unsuccessful was a counter move by the visiting left, whose forwards quite early on showed much improved form. Johnson was inaccurate with a well designed centre, and then came a brisk attack by the Evertonians, Settle missing an opening through dawdling, while Paterson going one better, put in a really fine effort, the ball, unfortunately for him, being sent straight at Roose. The ball was kept in the vicinity of the Stoke goal for some time, but there was a lack if incisiveness on the part of the home forwards. The game was vigorously contested to the finish, but nothing more was scored, and Everton won by one goal to nil.



Novemeber 4 1901. The Liverpool Courier.

Lancashire Combination (Game 10)

At Turton. Play was soon in the vicinity of Muir, Eccles cleared. Chadwick secured and with a fine shot caused Hill to handle. The home custodian slipped, and allowed the ball to roll into the net. The reverse stimulated the home team, but weak shooting spoiled many chances to equalise, and after twenty minutes play, Everton still led. Slackness in front of goal by the home forwards, lost many chances. Proudfoot at the other end was equally at fault, and sent over the bar when in a favorable place. Turton again got in front, and Walker beat Muir, with a grounder, which gave the custodian no chance. From the restart, play ruled in the vicinity of the visitors goal, and at half time the score stood 1 goal each. With the resumption, Evertpn attacked strongly, but all their attempts proved futile. Howarth raised the siege, and Muir had to run out to kick clear. Final result Turton 1 goal, Everton 1. Everton: - Muir, goal, Sharp, and Eccles, Brown, Boyle (captain), and Blythe, half-backs, Daly, Rankin, Proudfoot, Bone, and Chadwick (j), forwards.



November 4 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

After a feeble and invertebrate exhibition of football the Everton team succeeded in gaining two points from Stoke, and as four weeks had elapsed since the last victory, it was just about time that some change of result should be registered. But when one comes to speak of the manner in which this one goal success was gained, it becomes a most question whether the visitors were not entitled to greater credit than the home players. As is well known the Stoke team is being run this year on very fine lines, and having dispensed with their highly priced professionals, the executive have filled the various breaches thus caused by the adoption of local talent. Three amateurs figured in the side, which disported itself at Goodison Park, these being Roose in goal, Ashworth at left back, and Hales, the inside right. That this combination managed to run Everton to a goal on their own ground, is a feat which deserved commendation, for on the face of it, it did not appear that the “Potters” had much chance of achieving such a distinction. There was no mistaking, however, the earnest nature of their work, and though results did not always work out, as they could have desired, their intentions were good, and they were genuine triers until the whistle blew. The intermingling of amateurs of the type of Hales and Roose, in a team otherwise professional, is a feature which is bound to produce beneficial effects, men who throw all their heart into their work, and so infuse their comrades with equally stimulating methods. Their play against Everton certainly did not reach a very high standard, but it was equal to that shown by the home team, though it is doubtful weather the former would esteem this, as a compliment. Indeed, the game under notice will rank amongst that rapidly increasing class, which can only be dubbed as utterly feeble and altogether unsatisfactory. The anticipated superiority of Everton could occasionally by means of the keenest scrutiny, be discerned, but it was a ragged exhibition at the best, and sufficient to effectually damp the ardour of the most enthusiastic follower on the game. Everton's performance might aptly be termed as a negative one, noticeable mostly for what was not done, rather than for what was actually accomplished. If Saturday's display be any critrsion of what the team is really possible of achieving, the disastrous reverse at Nottingham and Blackburn are explained at once. There was no cohesion whatever, between the various branches of the side; the forwards were chiefly engaged in aimlessly roaming about, and they were not overpowered by the attentions of the half-backs. In the front rank was the chief weakness noticeable, the left wing being particularly culpable, and strangely enough, this, which proved the feeblest part of the attacking force, was provided with the greatest amount of work. The right wing was sadly neglected and Sharp, who only got the ball at rare intervals, was the chief source of danger to the Stoke defenders. A skilful display of masterly inactivity was furnished by Settle and really, one might be pardoned for wondering whether the ex-Bury player has lost all his skill. His partner, Bell, was also extremely work, particularly in the finishing touches at the close of his sprints. In the centre Young appears to have reached the end of his improvement, and there is a lack of aim and intention in his movements. Paterson like his confreres made some sad blunders, and altogether the Everton front line shaped about ad badly as could possibly be conceived. To consider them as being off colour is simply begging the question, and in their last three of four games they have distended with startling rapidity the scale of ability and their present position would register somewhere near zero. At half Clarke gave a useful display and for a first appearance, gave promise of something better, while Abbott worked hard, without his customary efficiently. Balmer rendered excellent service, his kicking and tackling repeatedly causing discomfiture to his opponents, and Kitchen had really only to exert himself for a brief period in the second half, when he fisted away a shot, which seemed certain to score. On the Stoke side Johnson was a long way ahead of the remainder of the team, and his continuous centres were very badly utilsied by the rest of their line. He was the chief leader, in every attack, and his worked deserved a better fate. Of the others Hales was often noticeable, and Roose kept goal well, though there was a tendency to rashness in some of his clearances. However Stoke have no reason to be downcast, at the result, which was a decided improvement upon that of last season, when they went under by three clear goals. Weakness in shooting, lost them many chances, and had they managed to score the game might have been afterwards more intelligently contested. What credit Everton can extract out of the day's proceedings it is difficult to imagine, one thing, however, it clear enough, if they change it cannot be for the worse.

Captaincy Its Responsibities

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 09 November 1901

The severe censure which the Captaincy: Emergency Committee of the Football Association have passed on T. Booth, the Everton captain, will probably open the eyes of not a few his fellow leaders of first class team?. Captains, as a rule,have not any large idea of their responsibilities. Most of them consider it their duty to set a good example by playing a hard, determined game; some few even may go so far as to give occasional hints as the best methods to bo adopted, and exert a real influence in controlling the play of tho side; and a cool, level-headed skipper, will now and again try to tone down any rising passion among his men. But something further may required of the captain as the ruling of the Emergency Committee in Booth's case indicates. Let us hark back to the incident which gave rise to the case. Close followers of first class football may remember that in the match at Aston between the Villa and Everton Lloyd was ordened off the field for kicking an opponent. Mr. Bye, as on the occasion of the Bolton trouble a few weeks since, was the referee, and here too he appears to have missed the original offender and caught only the retaliator. But though he failed to catch theorininator of the incident he endeavoured to ascertain who it was, and to that end asked Booth, the Everton captain, to disclose the name of the particular member of his team who had started the trouble. Booth refused, and hence the severe censure. After this warning captains will see that it is their duty, according the governing 'body in Chancery-lane, to give the referee such information as he may require in cases of this sort, and refusal to do so in the future may bring more severe punishment than a censure. It, is just as well that we should 'have this definite idea of th views held officially on the point, for until such an expression was forthcoming captains naturally had decided antipathy to what some might have called “peaching" a comrade. But when the F.A. requires a thing, and punishes refusal, the captain is safe from any charge this character..

Harry Singleton, sign from Bury to Everton,



November 11 1901. The Liverpool Courier

This match was played at Grimsby before 20,000 spectators in fine weather. The teams were as announced: -

Grimsby Town: - Tennant, goal, Mountain, and McConnell, backs, Henningfoeld, Gray, and Milnes, half-backs Dean, Stevenson Ronaldson, Harper, and Lee, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Eccles backs, Clark, Booth (captain), and Blythe, half-backs, Sharp Proudfoot Young, Settle, and Bell, forwards.

Everton won the toss, and set their opponents to face the wind. Ronaldson started the ball for the home eleven. Some excitement was caused by a race between Settle and Henningfield. The former had the ball at his toe, but unfortunately when trying clear past Mountain, he allowed the ball to go outside. A corner to the home side now occurred, and Sharp was pulled up for offside. Shortly afterwards a foul in midfield gave the visitors a free kick, but they did not get far, as Gray tackled and beat Young, before he could pass to his wing. To and fro the battle waged. Excitement was intense, the spectators yelling whenever a local man succeeded in beating his opponents. Proudfoot gained applause by a splendid piece of work in front of the home goal. He tricked two men, and then took a fast shot, apparently with his left foot, the ball just going over. This was hard luck. Some smart work by the Evertonians resulted in the ball being brought to the Grimsby goal, and Settle rushed away and bagged the ball into the net, securing the first goal for Everton. A corner a few minutes afterwards was unproductive, and Dean fouled Blythe. The Evertonians now swept down the line, showing some pretty combination, and for a few minutes things looked dangerous round the home goal. Settle got in a shot, which Tennant fisted away. Booth returned it, and Young tested Tennant with a hot one, but he proved equal to the occasion. Sharp had a rush, but was dispossession and the ball was promptly returned. Not to be denied, however, that player came again, and passed it broadly to the outside wing, where a clear course, Bell made off, and got into the corner, centring well, but Mountain's head was in the way. Settle and Bell got in some clever dribbling, but did not cover much ground before being robbed by Henningfield, who rushed neatly between, taking the ball with him. Half-time Everton 1 goal Grimsby Town nil. On resumption of play, the home right wing was conspicuous, but Kitchen had no difficulty in reaching a long-range shot. Henningfield was winded for a time, but he soon resumed, the visitors having a narrow escape. Kitchen saved cleverly from Leigh, when greatly hampered. After this close shave, the visitors gave nothing away, but getting into line, Bell put in a lovely centre, which Young just touched over the bar. The visitors were playing much the better football of the two teams, but the home team were vigorous and determined, and now he had a good innings, the visitors defence being severely taxed. At length Settle scored a second. Final score Everton 2 goals Grimsby Town nil.



November 11 1901. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination (Game 11)

Fine weather favoured the first meeting of these teams at Goodison Park. Everton lost the toss, and Rankin kicked off before a fair number of spectators. Everton were the first to make headway, Chadwick being wide with his centre. The Heathena retaliated, Rudman's shot just topping the bar. Everton pressed severely and Bone tested Saunders with a fine shot, which the custodian saved cleverly, the ball travelling to the other end, where Lappin with an open goal, shot wide. At length the Evertonians were rewarded with a goal, Rankin giving Sanders no chance. The game was very vigorously contested, both sides giving nothing away, and for a time the Evertonians could not make anything of the visitor's defence. Half time Everton 1 goal, Newton heath nil. Final Result Everton 3 goals Newton Heath nil. Everton: - Muir goal, Sharp, and Watson backs Brown, Boyle (captain) and Makepeace, half-backs, Daly, Malley, Rankin, Bone and Chadwick (j), forwards.



November 11 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

The Everton team accomplished a smart performance in visiting Grimsby and obtaining full points, and this following as it does an unsatisfactory experience both at home and away in recent games, should do much towards resuscitating interest at Goodison park, most visitors to the fishing town are prepared to admit that even to share the honours of a League game requires a tremendous output of effort, for there can be no question that the new Leaguers, whatever they accomplish away, are simply redoubtable on their own heath. At the outset of the game the play was marked by a determination that savoured of a desperate struggle for points, and it is pleasing feature to record that where the Everton team have of late been lacking there was a big improvement, and there can be no doubt that they were much the smartness team in attack. This comes as interesting reading after the lackadaisical display one has witnessed, and a victory, so well earned, is but what he may expect from players with his credentials. There were enforced changes in the constitution of the Everton team owing to their Inter League contest, and it may at once be stated, that the newcomers proved themselves most efficient substitutes. In close quarters were the visiting backs seen to great advantage and their tackling and judicious kicking were features that stood out prominently in a hard-fought game. The Everton forwards gave a capital display, and nowhere was there improvement more notable then on the left wing, where demonstrated some of his well known ability. The result of the game reflects great credit on the Everton team, who were the superior side on the day's play.

Herbert Banks

Western Daily Press - Monday 11 November 1901

City supporters will be delighted to learn that Mr. Hollis on Saturday secured the services of Herbert Banks, who it will be remembered, was known as the penalty king when he played for Millwall Athletic prior to signing on for Aston Villa, from which club he has just been transferred to the City. He learned his football with the Seaforth Highlanders, and then played for Everton. After a season with them, and two and a half years with the Third Lanark, he was secured by Millwall, and a very fortunate capture he proved for them, his palcing of penalty kicks earning him the title referred to. Banks has had a few unique experiences, and one is that he was first Englishman to receive a medal for the Glasgow Cahrity Cup, whilst he is also the possessor of an inter-city cap, having been chosen to represent the pick of Glasgow. In the latter game he ought never to have played, as he had no qualification whatever to assist any scotch teams in representative matches, but the invitation was extended to him, and he played.


Leeds Mercury-Tuesday 12 November 1901

In this Lancashire Cup-tie semi-final, played at Goodison Park yesterday in wretched weather, both teams were strongly represented. In the first half the game was evenly contested, both goal keepers making clever saves. After the interval Everton attacked without success, and Morgan opened the scoring for the Rovers. Everton made dfesperate efforts to equalise, but were met with a stubborn defence, the Rovers winning good game one goal to nothing.


Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 12 November 1901

Gray, the ex-Everton left winger, has not yet, is believed, signed for any other club. A correspondent states wrote the Manchester City secretary during the past season, mentioning the fact that a smart player in Gray was available. Gray, who yet but 23 years age, stands 5 feet 8 inches, and weighs about 10 stone 12 lbs. He is equally clever as inside or outside left, and has more than once been absolutely the finest forward the field League events for the "Toffees." Doig, the great International goalkeeper, says that he was one of the most, dangerous forwards in the English League, and one to whom the greatest respect was paid. This is a capital opportunity for Dundee getting hold of a good forward. We give them the tip.

Everton v Blackburrn Rovers

Lancashire Evening Post - Tuesday 12 November 1901

At Goodison Park, yesterday .the Rovers threw Everton out of the semi-final the Lancashire Senior by the only goal scored in hard match. The Everton men were, at the start, confident of victory. In fact before the match Tom Booth remarked, “It is our turn to-day,” but not one of the 7,000 who stood in the drizzling rain and watched the match, will deny the Rovers full credit for a fine performance. Looking back on the match it is hard to realise how the Rovers managed to play fine a game, both in defence and in attack, for Fred Blackburn was a failure at inside right. Gate was not big success on the left wing, and the 18-years-old Eastham was often wild his kicking. The Everton forwards played prettily, but were not effective as the Rovers, of whom Whittaker, Morgan, and Dewhurst played finely. Both sets of halves showed excellent form, Houlker and Booth being the two best half-backs on the field, but when it came to back play there was only Crompton in 'it. Against Settle and Jack Bell the Rovers captain played perhaps the greatest game hie life, despite attack of influenza. In fact the meetings between Crompton and Bell were the great features a fine game, but the Rover always came out with the ball. Bell fighting very shy of the burly shoulders of his opponent. Morgan scored the goal that won the match cleverly, after 15 minutes' play in the second half. The disappointment at Everton was great, but the players afterwards admitted that the better team won.

Bolton and Ex-Everton players

Dundee Evening Post - Wednesday 13 November 1901

Bolton Wanderers have no need to regret their Everton captures during the past few seasons. "Larry" Bell has proved a perfect treasure; Halliday and Struthers have shown themselves sterling backs; and at the first time of asking Taylor of Everton Combination gave ample evidence of first-rate abilities. it is rather strange that neither Taylor nor Halliday was ever highly thought of at Goodison Park and Struthers quite failed to catch the eye there. Then bell was not a constant erformer in the Toffees' League team

A good tip was given to the Dundee Club last night by the "Evening Post," Gray, of the Everton a crack forward, is at present "for sale" He might be worth looking after by the Dens Park men.


November 13. The Liverpool Mercury

Lancashire Senior Cup Semi-Final

The Holders of the above trophy put in an appearance at Goodison Park yesterday, but the weather was most unpropitious, and the attendance in consequence was limited, the crowd being estimated at 4,000. At 2-45, the sides faced as follows: -

Everton: - Kitchen goal, Balmer, and Eccles backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Proudfoot, Young, Settle, and Bell, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - McIvor, goal, Eastham, and Crompton (captain), backs, Houlker, Mcclure, and Howarth, half-backs, Gare, Morgan,, Dewhurst, F.Blackburn, and Whittaker, forwards. Referee E.Sutcliffe. The Rovers kicked off, and Everton were soon attacking Crompton coming to the rescue in good style, and sending to Gate and Morgan, who were promptly pulled up by Booth. Shots on the Rovers goal were rained in by Young, Proudfoot, and Settle, but without effect. A diversion was caused, after Crompton had cleared by a determined dash by the visiting forwards, the culminating in a corner, Blacburn sending outside. Next the Rovers were penalised, but, playing a more aggressive game at this period, the cup holders returned to the attack, Kitchen running out to save from Dewhurst. On a return being made to the other end, Abbott took a free kick, and Sharp heading, caused McIvor to concede a corner, Eastham clearing. Everton were fortunate in not having their colours lowered, and at the other end Bell twice in rapid succession sent wide of the mark. An exciting time then followed in front of the home goal. Balmer proving the saviour of his side, the Rovers being far more dangerous in front than their rivals. McIvor punched out a shot from Bell, and kicked away an attempt by Sharp, Young and Proudfoot, also having futile shots. Play was of an end to end character, and always interesting, and at the interval there was no score. On resuming the “Blues” again assumed the aggressive, and from a centre by Settle, Sharp shot hard, but was a little too high, and from the subsequent goal kick Whittaker and Blackburn made play to the other end of the field. Balmer nipping in and clearing smartly Gates forced the corner, but Abbott got the ball away, and Bell from 20 yards range sent in lighting shot, which just topped the bar, the efforts being deservedly applauded. Crompton was a conspicuous member in the Rovers defence on further attacks being made by Everton, and with the ball at the other end, Morgan defeated Kitchen from a pass by Dewhurst, the custodian having no chance of saving. Needless to say. This success coming 15 minutes after the resumption was hailed with manifestations of delight by the Rovers supports-who were present in large numbers-and stimulated thus the cupholders went to work with renewed vigour, the Everton goal being the scene of many a warm tussle. Fortunately Balmer and Eccles were playing a sound back game, and further disaster was starved off, the Rovers however, unquestionably being the better side. Nothing further was scored, and victory reamed with the Rovers by a goal to nil.



November 18 1901. The Liverpool Courier

Great interest centred in this match between Everton and Sunderland on Saturday by a reason of the fact that they occupy the two foremost places on the League list. A win to Everton meant that they would reach the top of the League ladder. The Evertonians travelled to the northern town on Friday, and stayed the night at the Grand Hotel, Sunderland. The teams were as follows: - Everton: - Kitchen goals, Balmer and Eccles backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain) and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Proudfoot, Young Settle, and Bell, forwards. Sunderland: - Doig, goal, McCombie and Watson backs, Ferguson, McAllister, and Jackson, half-backs, Craggs, Hogg (r), Millar (captain), Gemmell, and McLatchie, forwards.

The visitors met with a cordical reception on stepping on to the field from a large crowd. Miller beat Booth in the spin of the coin. Young set the ball rolling. The visitors were early prominent, the right wing being very aggressive. In the first few minutes. Doig was called upon to defend his charge. Away went Sunderland to the other end, where Gemmill had an unsuccessful try, Balmer turning the ball wide of the post. The leather travelled rapidly to the other end, the visitors going about their work with a very business like air. They were soon repelled, and the Wearsiders attacked. McLathie causing some trouble. A good combination run by Sunderland was the next feature of interest, and Hogg passing broadly across to the left Gemmill seized upon it, and closing in sent in a stringing shot, with which Kitchen had not the least chance. Still the visitors right wing was very persistent, and McCombie and Watson had a few busy moments. An attack on the home goal, in which Young shot into the custodian's hands, was staved off, and more activity by the home forwards led to a fine clearance by Kitchen, from which, the sphere was swung over to Sharp, who raced in dangerous, but as the back came out to meet him his final effort went wide of the post. More dangerous work by the Everton men followed, and the downfall of the home goal was only saved by the alertness of Doig, who smartly stopped a fine shot, by Settle. A trip against the visitors proved but of temporary advantage. Booth shot over the bar, and the visitors right were coming along merrily when a collision occurred, a Sunderland man being momentarily winded. Away went Sunderland, Craggs and R.Hogg working prettily together, and for a foul a free kick was awarded them. Then Miller essayed a shot that went a trifle too high, while McLathie was cheered directly after for a very nice centre. The Evertonians now made a determined effort and Settle with a neat shot, put his side on even terms after a brilliant run. The visiting teams still maintained the upper hand and kept the home defence busily engaged. At length the pressure was relieved and twice the Everton goal had narrow escape from capture. Kitchen negotiating one shot, while offside neutrialised the other. Then a change came over the play, which brought the hearts of the home supporters into their mouths. The visitors got well away, and Sharp carried the ball along and passed to Young, who transferred to Settle. The ball was at the foot of the post, and there looked to be a certain score for the visitors. A scramble of half a dozen players round the goalmouth followed, but after a few moments intense anxiety a Sunderland man was seen kicking the ball out into midfield again. The home team did a lot of pressing, and Kitchen and his backs had a lively time of it. Twice the ball was dropped into the mouth of the goal, and twice was it returned, and after a corner the ball was fortunately cleared away. Half-time Everton 1 goal, Sunderland 1.

On the resumption of play, Miller restarted the ball, and the visitors made an onslaught on the home goal, the ball going outside. The home men took the ball well down, but it went out, and Everton were again attacking. Ferguson stopping a dangerous run by Settle. When nicely placed Young passed the ball to Ferguson, and the visitors were again making tracks for the home goal, when Jackson relieved. Kitchen was called upon to clear a good shot from the left, and Booth was conspicuous with a splendid bit of play, following this up with a long shot at goal, which, however, was fouled by Watson. Some grand work by Craggs afterwards imperiled the Everton goal, and once he sent hard at Kitchen, who saved while on the ball with Craggs falling over him. A firm appeal for the referee negatived a goal after consultation with the linesmen. A moment later Settle retaliated by sending the ball into the net beating Doig neatly. Play centred for a time round the home goal, and Young had hard lines, with a low, swift shot, which struck McCombie's foot and was diverted, to a place of safety. Aided by several throws in the visitors forced the leather down into the home half, where from some little distance an Evertonians tried a long shot, the ball cannoning of Watson over the line. After Kitchen repulsed the attentions of Jackson, the visitors left got going, without success. Then after even play Sharp made off, and after a splendid bit of dodging he sent the ball flying into the net, thus securing the third point for Everton. A foul on the halfway line gave them a further advantage. The ball was dropped nicely into the mouth of the goal, but the Wearsides proved quite equal to the occasion, Doig brilliantly saving the situation. A corner to the home side proved barren. A scrimmage ensued, but a free kick, brought the visitors relief. Watson fouled Bell, and a penalty kick was awarded. Abbott took the kick and put the ball into the net. Five minutes before the finish McLatchie scored for Sunderland. Final result Everton 4 goals Sunderland 2.



November 18 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

Everton's great victory at Roker Park must have come as a somewhat welcome surprise to their many supporters, especially following so inglorious a display as that witnessed at home on Monday last against the Rovers in the semi-Final tie for the Lancashire Cup. These in-and-out performances have furnished a topic for much discussion, and the two recent League victories away from home have somewhat atoned for previous failures. That the team possess the ability to hold their own among the strongest opponents cannot now be denied, and possibly the great revolution has come about owing to a desire on the part of the directorate to see new talent. Be that as it may, the best efforts of the side were seen at Sunderland, and their clever victory should do much towards increasing the gates at Goodison Park. It was the first time in the career of the club that full points had been extracted from Sunderland at Wearside, and that they won in such substantial fashion, simply astonished the natives. They fully deserved their victory, which was obtained as the result of superior play in every department, and they now figure at the head of the League table. The Sunderland team lacked the qualities, which brought them to the top of the League, while the forwards retained their great weakness that of failing to shoot when in favourable opportunity presented itself. In the field their dash and combination had fallen off while Everton, on the other hand, were evidently in their best humour, for a man they played with a strength and swiftness that carried all before them. Kitchen in goal stopped several difficult shots in a marvellous manner, though most of the efforts of the Sunderland forwards went wide. Eccles and Balmer played a sound game throughout their tackling and clearing being among the foremost features of the game. The half-backs, too, gave a capital exposition of how to break up opposing combination, and the failure of the home forwards to take advantage was due in great measure to the close attentions of Booth, Abbott, and Wolstenholmes. In conjunction with the forwards they formed a most powerful attacking side, and the work of the van in particular was eminently satisfactory. They were admitted on all hands to have been the fastest quintet that had been seen on Roker Park this season, and, as the score would indicate, they had a capital notion as to the locality of the net. The effort that led up to Sharp scoring the third goal was magnificent. Settle broke through the Sunderland ranks unaided, and whipped the ball across to the right wing with accompanying success. Many of the crowd were under the impression, that Sharp was offside, and from the attitude of Doig, it seemed as though he shared the general opinion. Sharp however, though behinds the backs, did not infringe the rules, as he was onside, when he received the ball. With Sunderland thus left further behind, tremendous efforts were put forward to reduce the lead, and right to the close the high pace which had prevailed all through did not flag in the least. The home defenders were somewhat too desperate when matters were hard against them, and the penalty kick by which Everton scored their last goal was the climax to a continuance of over-vigorous play by Watson. The Goodison Park habitues will be pleased to note that in the last two matches, at Grimsby and Sunderland respectively, Settle has been demonstrating some of that form which a season or two ago gained for him international honours, and that he now heads the list of goal-scorers with ten to his credit.


Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette - Tuesday 19 November 1901

The Edison and North American Animated Photo Company have entered upon the last week of their stay in Sunderland. During the past three weeks the pictures have created quite a stir in the town, the one question asked on all hands being "Have you seen the pictures? and few entertainments could have drawn such crowded audiences to the Victoria Hall for so many nights, especially in such weather as we have been experiencing. The reproductions are as perfect as it is possible to get them, they are quite clear and distinct, and the objectionable flickering so trying to the eye is entirely absent. Many new photos have been added this week. The reproduction of the Sunderland and Everton match at Roker on Saturday was quite success last night, and though the audience was perhaps not so enthusiastic about it as they would have been had the score been reverseds.

Sunderland v Everton

Dundee Evening Post - Tuesday 19 November 1901

Of the four Association matches that were decided three provided surprising results. Sunderland were beaten for the first time this season on their own ground—a terrible fall, by which Everton. who beat them, take their place at the head of the League table. Curiously enough, Everton's near neighbours are the only other club that have gained a point at Wearside since the beginning of September. Who Scored?—Gemmell scored for Sunderland after 17 minutes' play. Settle equalised tor Everton a few minutes afterwards. A quarter of an hour after the interval Settle put on Everton's second goal. Sharp scored Everton's third goal five minutes afterwards. Abbot scored for Everton, from a penalty, a quarter of an hour before the finish. M'Latchie scored for Sunderland about a minute afterwards.


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 23 November 1901.

A commission of the Football League was held at Manchester last night to consider the complaint by the Everton club against the manner in which Mr. Bye, the referee, conducted the game at Birmingham between Aston Villa and Everton. The following decision was arrived at:—“ That the referee, Mr. Bye, acted fairly, honestly, and accordance with the laws the game, and that the complaint made against him was not justified; that Everton club pay all the costs of the meeting."


Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 23 November 1901

Everton Reserves v. Oswaldtwistle

Everton Reserve brought a powerful team to oppose Oswaldtwistle Rovers. A capital display was seen, the home team playing their best game this season- Everton were the first score, Boyle putting the ball beyond the reach of Piatt. The home team equalised through Pope. A minute later, Fletcher scored a second. The same player put his side further ahead from a lovely centre by Longworth. Platt made a miraculous save. Hail-time—Rovers 3, Everton 1

In the second half Everton adopted kick and rush tactics, and Platt had had to clear three hot shots in as many minutes. Play was not so interesting as in the first half. Everton pressed continually, but Smith, Hargreaves, and Platt played magnificently. A hot shot from Rankin was splendidly cleared by Platt. Sharp fouled Longworth when the latter was dangerous. Pope shot weakly. The home team gradually assumed the aggressive. Result—ROVERS 3. EVERTON RESERVES 1.


November 25 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

There was more than a suspicion of fog when the first League game of the season between Everton and Small Heath was entered upon at Goodison-park on Saturday. The kick off had been fixed for a quarter to three o'clock, but so thick was the atmosphere that early on it was doubtful if the match could be finished. At any rate this did not seem to effect the attendance, for the spectators were not slow in turning up to welcome the victorious Evertonians, and to witness what promised to be a fine game. Both sides were fully represented, the players being as follows: -

Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Eccles, backs, Wolstenholmes, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Proudfoot, Young, Settle, and Bell forwards. Small Heath: - Robinson, goal, Goldie, and Archer, backs, Adey, Wigmore, and Leake, half-backs, Athersmith, Bennett, McRoberts, McMillan, and Wharton, forwards. Referee.Mr.Sutcliffe.

Everton, having lost the toss, started the game in the presence of some 15,000 spectators a few minutes before the advertised time. Early on Sharp tried to get away, but was checked by Arches. Then followed a nice move by Wharton and McMillan, but Balmer cleared in the nick of time, and soon Everton were busy at the other end. Wigmore fouled Young just outside the penalty line and the free kick was attended with happy results for Everton. After the ball had been set in motion there was some little finessing, and then Bell dashing up planted the leather in the net in less than five minutes from the start. Young received a nice pass, and was making tracks for goal, but was given offside for some apparently unaccountable reason. Then the visitors left were prominent, but the Everton backs were in grand kicking form. If anything the Heathens were the more aggressive; the ball for some minutes being kept in Everton territory. Their efforts however, were not troublesome so far as Kitchen was cornered. Another fine attempt by Young boded danger to the visiting goal, but he was unlucky. At the same time Evertonians had the bulk of the attack, and every moment looked like adding to their score. Balmer was to the fore in repelling an attack by the Heathens, and again the Everton forwards showed some fine work. Booth sent wide of the post, and Settle was once unfortunate in propelling the ball against an opponent instead of into the net. Wharton was rightly pulled up for offside, and the play was centred in the visitors end the Everton forwards exhibiting form of a class which was only to be expected from the League leaders. A corner was conceded by Archer, and this led to some exciting work with the Small Heath goalkeeper, Robinson managed to stop a shot from Bell, and the referee came in for some hooting when the referee, penalised Settle for charging the goalkeeper. Both sides slowed down a little, and nothing more had been scored when the whistle blew for the interval. It was noticed that Abbott and Athersmith had been paying particular attention to each other instead of the ball. Half time Everton 1 goal Small Heath nil.

Before restarting the fog had lifted considerably, and there seemed no reason why the match should not be finished. Everton went off with a rare dash, but there was quickly a cessation of hostilities owing to an injury to Young who was accidentally kicked about the head. However, he was able to resume, and so hard pressed was Robinson that he had to leave his goal. Another goal to Everton appeared almost a certainly, but more by good luck than good management the danger was averted. After a good run down by the visitors, Everton attacked on the right without tangible results, and the great Athersmith was at fault when nicely placed. Settle had an opening, but from a rather difficult position his aim was inaccurate. At the other end Adey did likewise. A smart move by Athersmith and Bennett looked dangerous, Balmer came to the rescue of his side, and after some slight pressure the visitors were again forced on the defensive. They soon repelled the Everton onslaught, and for a time had decidedly the pull in the exchanges, the Everton defenders being frequently called upon. The home right made strenuous exertions to change the complexion of the game, and at this stage there could be no mistaking the earnestness of the visiting eleven. The game was splendidly contested to the finish, but nothing more was scored. Final Everton 1 goal, Small Heath nil.



November 25 1901. The Liverpool Courier

Lancashire Combination (Game 12)

At Oswaldtwistle. Everton scored through Platt slipping when attempting to save. The home team equalised from a corner, Stewart heading through. Keeping up the pressure, the home team put on a second goal, Fletcher banging the ball through. When pressed Oswaldtwistle displayed splendid form, and from a capital centre by Longworth Fletcher dashed through a third. Half time Rovers 3 goals, Everton 1. In the second half the sides adopted the kick and rush tactics, and no more goals were score. Everton: - Muir, goal, Sharp, and Watson, backs, Brown, Boyle (captain), and Blythe, half-backs, Roche, Paterson, Rankin Chadwick (j), and Singleton forwards.


Dundee Evening Post - Wednesday 27 November 1901



A Glasgow football correspondent writes that he is informed, on the authority of well-known personage at Hampden Park, that John Gillespie has signed a League form for Everton. Mr Gillespie returned from the front some six months back, after serving with the Imperial Yeomanry. In the Queen's Own Yeomanry he gained a reputation for daring horsemanship at the annual race meeting on the Ducal policies, and on the football field his courage was not the least pronounced feature of his play at half-back and back. He never allowed an opponent much rope, and in form was hard to beat. Always of an obliging disposition, he turned out for Queen's Park on many occasions when the ordinary player would have rested for weeks. But Gillespie is of the type that can always battle tbicugh somehow, and was a matter surprise to the grand stand patrons if he appeared on Hampden Park free of the trainer's bandages. He never spared himself while playing for Queen's Park, and was one of the pillars of the team during a spell of adversity. We understand the popular Yeoman will continue to play as an amateur. He has figured in the Q.P. team on few occasions this season, but with training seems as fit as ever to play an effective game. Coming so close as does after M'Coll's departure from Scotland, this announcement will cause a great sensation in Scottish football circles.


November 28 1901. The Liverpool Mercury

Following on the departure of McColl and Stewart to Newcastle, Queens Park supporters were somewhat surprised yesterday on realizing that a statement that John Gillespie the Stalwart amateur back, had signed a League form for Everton. It is heard that the call of the Everton on him will be few, as the Glasgow club is likely to need his service for the Scottish cup-ties. Gillespie recently returned from South Africa when he served a term in the Yeomary, he is very fit at present.

John Gillespie

Sunderland Daily Echo November 30 1901

It is stated that John Gillespie, theb Queen's Park footballer, who recently returned from the war, has signed a League form for Everton. He will play as an amateur.