Everton Independent Research Data


April 1, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
Everton on Saturday took a long time to settle down, and admitting that they had some juniors assisting the fact remained they didn’t play good football and Stockport for the bar and some exceedingly good saves by Mitchell should have been nearer winning. As against Bolton so on Saturday –Everton came with a rattle and popped on goals near the finish, Grenyer’s game was just excellent throughout, and Wadsworth despite his cramped speed, was a tricky winger, who centred with judgment and sound pace. Stockport best were Goodwin, Fayers, Crossthwiathe and Rodgers, the last named being a regular shooter, but without any luck.
• News reached Chester on Saturday that Captain Jack Jones (Chester City FC) of the Mounting Transport Section of the A.S. Corps had been killed in France. The sadness of the events is added to by the fact that only a short time before his death he was home on leave at Whitechurch.

April 4, 1918, The Liverpool Evening
In the Everton team against Stockport a trial is being given to a new back. The chosen team is; Mitchell; Collin and Stott; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer; Wdasworth, Jefferis, Gault, Twiss, and Donnachie.

April 5, 1918. The Evening Express
Tomorrow Team
Congratulations to the playing members of the Aintree and North Haymarket Ladies Football Club, their trainers, and officials for the splendid financial success of their match at Goodison last Monday. As a result of their efforts the National Football Fund will benefit to the extent of over £150. The result is a remarkable one; and will be a fine tonic to Mr. W.R. Clayton chairman of the Everton F.C who promised the game and who is only just getting over a rather severe illness due, in my opinion largely to overstrain as outside business hours. Mr. Clayton is an indefatigaize worker in the cause of charity as he showed by his efforts on behalf of the Sportsman’s Ambulance Fund. He has the new equally at heart, and was fairly optimistic as to the drawing powers of the ladies game, but the result exceeded his most sanguine expectations. Mr. Clayton is also one of the moving spirits in the Liverpool County Cup Competition all the proceeds of which are also going to the National Fund and I happen to know that he first round gave a creditable send off to the Liverpool and district takings. With adequate support given to the remaining games, and the big matches which have been fixed up, referred to in this column earlier in the week.
Everton’s Eleven
The Goodison club have a subsidiary game at Stockport and give a trial to Stott at left full back. The team will be;- Everton; Mitchell; Collin and Stott; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer; Wdasworth, Jefferis, Gault, Twiss, and Donnachie. Stockport; Butler; Goodwin, Garrett; Challinor, Fayers, Francis; Crossthwaite, Kenyon, Rodgers, Hughes, Hyde.

April 5, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
Everton; Mitchell; Collin and Stott; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer; Wdasworth, Jefferis, Gault, Twiss, and Donnachie. Referee; Mr. Duckworth (Blackburn).
A Handsome Sum
Mr. W. R. Clayton, the Everton chairman informs me that the sum raised by the ladies match at Goodison Park last Monday morning was over £250-handsome is not? The money goes to the War Fund for Disablen Footballers. The junior Cup Competition is doing well for the same cause and when Everton, Liverpool, Sheffield United and Wednesday get their matches going.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 06 April 1918
George Barlow tells me that he will finish with football at the end of this season as he cannot any longer spare the time for it under the pressure of work.  He will always remain a fragrant memory with North End. 
Billy Wareing
Billy Wareing, the old Southport, Chorley, and North End half-back, has scored no fewer than eight goals for Everton this season from centre half. 
Burgess, a one-armed player from Brynn Central, has been given a trial by Everton at outside left this week. 
Joe Clennell
Clennell has recently undergone a slight operation which has prevented him playing football. 
Bert Freeman
Bert Freeman watched the match at Deepdale last Saturday from the stand, nursing a wrenched knee that has given him trouble for a week or two.  Freeman has scored 8 goals this season. 

Manchester Evening News - Saturday 06 April 1918
Wretched weather spoiled Stockport Country's return match with Everton at Edgley Park this afternoon in the subsidiary competition, rain falling heavily and resulting in a very meagre gate and a treacherous field of play. The Country had  two changes, Challinor was displaced by Manley at right half, and Dooley, a useful player from Woodhouse, was tried at outside left In place Hyde, who was indisposed. Everton team also underwent some changes from last week, Jefferis and Donnachie playing in place Howarth and Burgees in the forward line, while Wareing was absence from the half back line. Fleetwood played centre half and Cotter at right halt, while Stott took the place of Robinson at left back. Losing the toss, Everton kicked off, and were early on the defensive. Crossthwaite centred well two occasions, from one of which Rodgers headed in, but Mitchell had no difficulty in clearing.  The County effected pressure on the Everton goal, and Rodgers put in a long shot, but this was ineffective. Dooley got away on the Everton left but made a weak effort from a centre, and finally kicked behind.  Everton were still kept defending, and owing to the greasy state of the ball their backs cleared shakily on one or two occasions.  Jefferis forced a corner at the other end, and after Dooley had headed away the ball was crossed to Doonnachie, who sent in a  shot which went pass the post.  The County again got away, and after some good play by Hughes,  Croathwaite worked the ball in and  placed nicety across the goalmouth, but the home left wing was insufficiently up, and Dooley could do no better than shoot wide.  Gault was responsible for a good bit of play in midfield, and going down the centre he finished with a splendid shot, which, however, did  not catch Butler napping, the latter knocking it down and cleanng in clever style.   Rogers had bad luck in dribbling through and losing the ball when about to shoot in a favourable position.  Some excitement was caused when, after Manky had stemmed a rush by Everton, Rodgers ran the ball down the field and shot from close quarters. Mitchell let the ball slip through his hands, but it dropped on the line, and the goalkeeper recovered In time to clear. The Country goal shortly afterwards had a narrow escape, for whilst the Country were claiming for off-side against Wadsworth, that player went in and sent across to Donnachie, who placed in front, and Gault almost got through with a header, Butler saving narrowly from a snap shot Rodgers, which went direct for goal, Mitchell made a great save.  The teams were evenly matched, but the football was only a moderate description, which was not to be wondered at under the conditions.  Towards half-time Everton had more of the play, and after some good forward work Jefferey's headed against the bar when close in.  The County forced their opponents back, and Francis taking a free kick, Cotter placed the ball over his own bar.  From a corner Crossthwaite took a hard shot for goal, and the ball passed through the net, but curiously enough and unfortunately for the home side, the rent was made on the wrong side of the post.  At the interval neither side had scored. 
The Second Half
Everton were the more aggressive at the opening of thge second ahlf, and mainly owing to the play of Grenyer the visitors cased some trouble to the home defence, but Goodwin eventually made a fine clearance, and Rodgers putting the ball out to Dorley, the latter placed in a hard shot, which Mitchell cleared. 

April 6, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
F.E.H Tells Story of Visit to Stockport
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins and Stott, backs; Cotter, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Twiss, and Donnachie, forwards. Stockport County; Butler, goal; Goodwin and Garrett, backs; Manley, Fayers, and Francis, half-backs; Crossthwaite, Kenyon, Rodgers, Hughes, and Dooley, forwards. Referee’ Walter Chadwick (Blackburn). Everton had changes in the rearguard and also in the intermediate line for the hard game they knew lay before them. Stockport has always been a hard test, and today became particularly severe as Everton were not at full strength. It will be noticed that there was one change in the Everton ranks at the last moment. Wareing owing to domestic reasons, was unable to accompany the team, and Cotter was drafted into the half-back line. Stockport gave a first trail to a local youth named Dooley, at outside left. The weather on arrival at Stockport can only be described as a atrocious heavy rain falling. It cleared off partially but the Edgerley Park enclosure was a quagmire when the players turned out. Everton started with a slight breeze in their favour and the heavy condition of the going was at once apparent. After a time the Evertonians settled down to more methodical football, and a corner was forced off the right.
A Narrow Escapes
This was well placed and led to an exciting bully in front of Butler. The assault terminated when Donnachie struck the side of the net with a crashing shot. The County returned to the attack in spirited fashion and Crossthwaite and Kenyon were dangerous to turn, but the final efforts were faulty. There was a brief period of mudlarking in midfield and then Gault took the leather in his stride and sent in a stinging volley that was finely anticipated by the home keeper. Inspite of the sodden turf the pace became livelier as play progressed and Fayer serving up to his forwards cleverly. Rodgers drove with such force that Mitchell was brought to his knees. He saved the situation, however, and at the other end Gault just failed to find the target. Jefferis and Wadsworth were next in the picture with a smart movement which Garbett nullified, and further promising advances on the part of the Evertonians were spoilt through Gault ineradicable disposition to be offside. Play ruled fairly even for a time with Everton always a little more the aggressive and once Twiss delivered a other good shot that was smartly gathered.
A Deluge
At this point a deluge fall, but the players stuck pluckily to their guns and both goals were visited rapid succession. Rogers once went clean through and finished by a tremendous drive, which was wonderfully well coped with by Mitchell. Approaching the interval Stockport pressed strongly and a couple of corners were forced one of these being by Cotter who very nearly put the leather into his own goal. Following upon the other, Crossthwaite drove the ball right through the side net into the goal and though Stockport made a momentary claim the point was of course disallowed.
Half-time; Stockport County 0, Everton 0.
Second Half
There was a fairly good attendance when the second half was entered upon. The County forward were the first to make the running but they were well held by Collins and Stott, and after a time Everton proceed to bombard Butler in combined order. Grenyer twice served up nicely, and Donnachie attempted to complete the movement but without success. Jefferis and Wadsworth were the next to make progress but once again Gault was offside and we had a spell of midfield work in which neither side gained any material advantage. Stockport were the first to break through and Crosswaite put more of his hard shots that might well have beaten a goalkeeper than Mitchell. As it was the Evertonians cleared briskly and though the County came away again in bus-like fashion, they were beaten off. The succeeding stages of the contest were of a very largely descripture. Final; Stockport 0, Everton 1
Goal Scorer
Twiss scored for Everton

April 6, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
I learn that Watty Campbell the old footballer who won League winners in about 1891 has just returned to Liverpool after 2 ½ years in the German camp.
A Spur Reported Killed
Lieutenant Walter D. Tull the Northampton and Tottenham Hotspur football player, it is reported at Northampton has been killed in action.

April 8, 1918. The Evening Express
Everton had an enjoyable game at Stockport and after close exchange came away with the honours, a goal scored by Twiss in the second half giving them the points. They played a new left back named Stott of Huyton Quarry whose debut proved quite satisfactory.

April 8, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
I happened to know that Wareing would not play, and therefore felt that Stockport’s path to victory would be almost ready-made. I confess that a draw did not strike me as even likely. Therefore, Everton’s victory was indeed an unexpected pleasure, and a matter on which I congratulate the players and the club.
F.E.H. says the Evertonians were just a shade too smart for Stockport County, and a hard-fought game left them victors by the only goal scored. The match played in persistent rain was fast and full of good football. The Everton forwards showed both cleverness and combination and but for Butler’s fine goalkeeping their score must have been heavier. Twiss, who partnered Donnachie on the left, had the satisfaction of converting the latter’s brilliant run with a telling shot. A trial was given at back to Stott, a Huyton Quarry youth, who created a very favourable impression.

April 9, 1918. The Liverpool Evening Express
The death took place yesterday in a Glasgow hospital of Daniel Doyle, who was one of the greatest left full backs of his day. He had been ill for a long time, suffering from an incurable disease. Deceased who was 54 years of age, was a Scotsman, having been born at Paisley, and all his life he took a keen interest in all kinds of sport. Doyle began his football career in the East of Scotland and after playing for minor clubs was attached to East Stirlingshire. Subsequently he went to England and played for Grimsby Town before reaching Everton, for whom with Andrew Hannah, he formed one of the best defences in England. Latterly he transferred his services to the Celtic and with the Parkhead club he remained until his football days ended. Doyle played for Scotland against England in 1892, 1894, 1895, and 1898, and assisted against Wales and Ireland on three occasions while for the Scottish League he played in nine representative games. Doyle was a magnificently-built man a powerful kicker, and a sure tackler. In addition to football he took part in cricket and quoits, represented Scotland in international bowling matches and was a billiard player of more than ordinary ability. When he retired from football, he was in business as a spirit merchant at Belshill, but in more recent years he was employed in Glawsgow in an engineering establishment.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Tuesday 09 April 1918
The Passing of Dan Doyle, Famous Scottish Left Back. Dan Doyle, the greatest left-back in Scottish Association football, is dead. The matter of fifteen years ago there was no better known player in the United Kingdom. Doyle had been in indifferent health for some time, and he passed away in Glasgow hospital yesterday afternoon. He was 54 years of age, was a native of Paisley, and all his life had taken an active interest in all kinds of sport. His football career began the East, and after playing for minor clubs he was attached to East Stirlingshire. Subsequently he went to England and played for Grimsby Town before reaching Everton. Latterly he transferred his services to Celtic, and with the Parkhead club he remained until his football days ended. Mr Doyle played for Scotland v. England in 1892, 1894. 1895, 1897. and 1898, and assisted against Wales and Ireland on three occasions, while for the Scottish League he played in nine representative games. In addition to football took part in cricket and quoits, represented Scotland international bowling matches, and was billiard player of more than ordinary ability

Liverpool Echo - Tuesday 09 April 1918
Bee’s Notes
Dan Doyle is dead. He was in a Glasgow hospital, was fifty-four years age, and for  months had fought against an incurable disease.  Probably the best-known old Everton player, Dan Doyle to followers of the Everton club was a wonderful player, a man of personality, as well as piay, and where football discussions arise the name Dan Doyle was ever brought into play. Doyle, Doyle as a back, was a tactician, and a man who saved his legs by using his head. Many called him "Dirty Dan."  but Doyle was a popular and esteemed player.   Doyle became famous in international annals.  He played for Scotland against England in 1892-94-95-97-98, against Wales in 1893, and against, Ireland in 1895-98, while he assisted the -Scottish League against the English League every year from 1892 1898, and also appeared against the Irish League in 1896- 99.  Indeed, he won every honour open to a Scottish player.
Dan Doyle was a Paisley boy from Slamannan Barnsmuir, through Broxburn Shamrocks, the Hibernians, Sunderland Albion, Grimsby Town, Bolton Wanderers, and Everton on to the Celtic at Parkhead. No sterner figure could be conceived in a game where back-to-the-wall playing and all  out was concerned, and with the Celts, Doyle enjoyed his greatest successes, and also his greatest downfall on the day that Dumbarton went to the Celts' headquarters and scored eight times against Duff, the then goalkeeper the wearers of the green. In 1891-92 the Celtic had the finest eleven that Doyle ever saw, and did not forget Preston in their prime. It was in this season that Celtic won the Scottish, the Glasgow, and the Glasgow Charity Cups, and finished second to Dumbarton in the Scottish League. The Celtic . eleven then generally consisted of Cullen; Reynolds, Doyle: Dowds, Kelly, Maley; M'Callum, Brady, Madden, McMahon and John Campbell.
Doyle once said to Mr. Cotton, in an interview  —" i'll guarantee you could not place a trio on the field to equal John Goodall, Jack Southworth, and Edgar Chadwick"
After the drawn game between Scotland and England at Glasgow, in 1894, came the game international match at Goodison Park in 1895.  Somehow or other Doyle got lost on his journey to Everton.  He ought to have known the route.  The Scottish selectors were in a stew, and at last decided that hey would play Foger, of St. Bernard, who had travelled as reserve.  Not long before the team was due to leave the hotel for the ground "Dan" walked in all smiles.  He was told that he had been displaced, but in his masterful way declared that he would play, no matter what anybody said.  Dyle played, and it was fortunate for Scotland's team that he did so, for only he and Drummond, of the Rangers stood between England and a probable record score.  Although Doyle played in 1898, the season of the Diamond Jubilee year was the only time that he figured on a successful Scottish side against the Englishmen.  he had always to meet either Bassett or Athersmith, the racer.  Doyle was a fine cricketer, a clever hand with Quiits, brilliant at the hop, step, and jump, and a bowler.  Indeed, at bowls he represented Scotland against England and played against Dr. W. G. Grace in London.   

Daily Record - Tuesday 09 April 1918
Daniel Doyle, one of the greatest full backs all time, died yesterday afternoon in a Glasgow hoepital. His demise was expected, for has been suffering for some months from incurable disease. Born in Paisiey in 1864, all hia life Dan took a. keen interest in sport, every description. Starting his football career in the humble Slamannan Bamsmuir. Dan was a couple of seasons with Broxburn Shamrock, following which he threw in his lot with the Edinburgh Hibernian. A spell with East. Stirlingshire preceded his migration across the Border, where Sunderland Albion was his first club. Bolton Wanderers had the benefits of his services next, after which he struck a grand combination in Everton with Andrew Hannah of Renton. Then Celtic came-on the scene, and Doyle was brought to Parkhead. That is fully a quarter a century ago, and 1891-2 Dan partnered Reynolds a Celtic team which never tired describing the best he ever saw fielded by any club. Doyle had conferred on him all the football honours. played for Scotland against England in 1892, 1894, 1895, 1897, and 1898; against Wales and Ireland thrice; and figured on nine occasions in Scottish League representative teams. He represented bis country howler, and played a, very fine game at billiards.

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 10 April 1918
Everton (v. Southport Central. Goodison Park. 3.30): Mitchell; Collins, Stott; Cotter, Fleetwood, Grenyer; Wadsworth,  Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Burgess. 

Daily Record - Thursday 11 April 1918
A representative football company attended the funeral of Dan. Doyle yesterday. Among those who watched the remains of the great Celt, being laid to rest, Dalbefh Cemetery, were Messrs. James Kelly and M. Dunbar, the Parhead board of directors; W. Maley, the Celtic F.C. manager; Mr, J. K. M'Dowall, secretary of the S.F.A.: Mr. Walter Arnott (Queen's Park), who partnered the deceased the 1892 English International at Ibrox Park: Air. Tom (Queen's Park), the well-known referee; Andrew Hannah, Doyle's colleague of the Everton defence: old Celtic favourites, Jerry Reynolds, Jim Welford, and Willie Lorey; James M'Mcnemy, the present-day team; and Messrs. Dan. Morgan (Renfrewshire). Tom Pate (Kirkintilloch), and George Moore (Glasgow). Wreaths were sent by the Celtic F.C., by the present-day players Parkhead, by the players who sported the ” green and white Dan’s time, and the Hibernian F.C.

Liverpool Echo - Friday 12 April 1918
"Vin" writes: —From the Scots Guards Depot comes the tidings that Corporal Kirsopp, Everton's popular player, has been wounded in the recent fighting, and rather badly at that. He is present ill hospital in France, waiting to undergo operation. If successful he will be sent to England in due course. " Echo readers will be the first to wish him speedy recovery.

The late Daniel Doyle.
Bellshill Speaker - Friday 12 April 1918
Mr Daniel Doyle, one of the most eminent Association football players of recent times, died on Mondav. in the Royal Cancer Hospital, Glasgow. Mr Dovle was considered one of the ablest left backs of his generation.  He was 54 years of age, was native of Paisley, and all his life had taken an active interest in all kinds of sport. His football career began in the East, and after playing for minor clubs was attached to East Stirlingshire. Subsequently he went to England and played lor Grimsby Town before reaching Everton. Latterly he transferred his services to Celtic, and with the Parkhead club remained until his football days ended. Mr Doyle played for Scotland V. in 1892, 1994, 1895, 1897 and 1898, and assisted against Wales and Ireland throe occasions, while for the Scottish League he clayed in nine representative games. In addition to football, he took part in cricket, and quoits represented Scotland in international bowling matches, and was a billiard player of more than ordinaMr Doyte was associated with the lieenfr ing trade in this district up till a few years ago, but latterly was employed with an engineering firm Glasgow-. While in Bellshill, he was active member of the Bellshill and Mossend Bowling Club.

April 12, 1918. The Evening Express
Spectators at Goodison Park, where the opposition will be supplied by Southport Central, kick-off 3.30 will be glad to witness the returns, of Clennell, Joe has not donned football boots for a month and the many admirers of his dexterity will hope to see him in a scoring mood. He will be partnered by Burgess, the Brynn youth, while there will be on view Stott, of Huyton Quarry, who gave a good account of himself against Stockport. The half-back line will include Cotter, of Kirkdale. Southport win of necessily make changes in the very moderate side, they fielded at Anfield but it will be a starting reversal of form if the “Blues” do not win excellent goalkeeper though Capper be. The match will be worth watching, if only for the cleverness of the Ex-South custodian. The teams may line up as follows; Everton; Mitchell; Collins, Stott; Cotter, Fleetwood, Grenyer; Wadworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Burgess. Southport; Capper; Dorward, Smith; Sheldon, Fay, Jordan; Eacock, Caulifield, Gerrard, Burke, Stanfield.

April 12, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
There are five locals playing in the Goodison match tomorrow –Collins, Stott, Cotter, Wadsworth and Burgess. Stott made a very good show last week for a first appearance. Southport’s team selection looks very different to that sent out last week. If Fay helps them and play anothing like the great game he played for Bolton’s few weeks ago against the Everton men we are in for a match well worth our special attention. In any case I like the “read” of the Southport attack, especially in view of the trial in Everton’s defence of Stott and Collins. The return of Joe Clennell is a matter which will please everybody. Team; Everton; Mitchell; Collins, Stott; Cotter, Fleetwood, Grenyer; Wadworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Burgess.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 13 April 1918
The death of Dan Doyle removes from the world of Association football one of its most picturesque and greatest figures. He was merely name to the present generation, but to the footballers the nineties he filled the eye and the imagination as few men did. His laughing Hibernian face, with the tip-tilted nose, his raven-black hair with the curls growing low on the forehead, and slow-moving but big, powerfully knit frame, all went to make striking personality on the field, especially was informed a subtle, far-seeing, calculating brain. He was a Scot in method and Irishman in temperament, and Caledonia at least knew his worth, although struck the patch international history when England were all over their natural foes.   All his best football was played across the Border with the Celtic, who never had finer strategist and captain, and yet left many memories of the games he played with Everton, although that period was mors gay, irresponsible, insouciant beck than the mature, reliable, crafty defender afterwards became. It is apt to forgotten that first figured with Grimsby a star, and afterwards gravitated to Bolton Wanderers, whilst ha also had a short spell with the Hibernians. But will alweya be remembered for hie deeds with two —Everton this side and tha Celtic on other wall as those which characterized his appearances against England, for he ever had the gift of investing all he did with the touch of distinction.

April 13, 1918. Evening Express
There was quite a local favour about the Everton team which received a visit from Southport Central today, for Collins, of Kirkdale, and Stott of Huyton Quarry, were the backs; Cotter of Kirkdale was in the halves amongst the forwards were Wadsworth, of Tranmere Rovers ad Burgess the one armed young Brynn player. A great deal of interest also centred in the return of shareshooter Clennell after a month’s absence. The teams lined up as follows;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins and Stott, backs; Cotter, Fleetwood (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Burgess, forwards. Southport; Capper, goal; McDonald (Everton Res) and Stansfield, backs; Garder, Sheldon and Kenyon, half-backs; Hooper, Caulfield, Metcalf, Eacock, and Burke, forwards.
The Game
The crowd was of very modest dimensions when Campbell started the game fifteen minutes after time, and then Central were two men. Just as the game was started Metcalf trotted on the field and took Caulfield’s at centre forward. The pressure of a Liverpool player meant something to the Central who began in a much more promising fashion than last week, and Collins had to step in to block a pass to the wing. However, the Blues were not very long before making an advance and Gault just missed the upright with a ground shot. An out across by Clennell placed Jefferis in position but he shot scraped the crossbar.
Everton’s Good Start
Everton were two goals up in the first fifteen minutes, Clennell getting the first from a free kick just outside the penalty area and Gault the second with a clear drive from about twenty yards range. The first goal led to an unusual scene. Capper threw himself at the ball and held it at the foot of the post but the referee ruled that it had crossed the line, whereupon the custodian kicked the leather over his own crossbar and raised after Rylance to protest while the spectators behind the net set up a regular shout of no goal. The official was adamant on the point, but he was caught napping with an offside decision later and had to have a throw down. The game was a very one-sided one, just as it was last week. Mitchell only handling once in half-an-hour and that a very long drive which he dropped but there was nobody up.
Southport’s Innings
Thanks largely to Caulfield Southport had a spell of attacking and forced a corner, but Garner headed over. A nice cross shot by Burgess gave Capper some trouble at the other end. Eacock showed speed in keeping the ball in play. During one terrific melee in the Central goalmouth Burgess had no less than four successive shots, everyone of which struck a defender before reaching Capper. The Brynn although unlucky in this respect was playing fine football and was invariably on the target. Southport were not quite so badly out classed as at Anfield and were triers all the time, but the Everton halves generally had them well under control. The Blues’ goal had one very narrow escape just before the interval after nice-passing between Metcalf and Caulfield, and the ball travelled out to Burke and he shot right across the goalmouth and Mitchell missed the leather which went just the wrong side of the post. The visitors received plenty of encouragement for their efforts from a contingent of wounded soldiers but there was no getting beyond the fact that the home lot were much the superior side. A minute prior to the interval Metcalf scored for Southport. He had nothing to do but tap the ball into the empty net, and all the credit must be given to the outside right who easily beat Stott and struck the crossbar with a grand drive as Mitchell jumped for the shot. Half-time; Everton 2, Southport 1.

April 13, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
By “Vin”
Daniel Doyle, one of the greatest full backs of all time died this week at the Royal Cancer Hospital, Glasgow. His demise was not unexpected, for he had been suffering for some months from an incurable disease. Though bearing an Irish name, Doyle, was a Scotsman, being born at Paisley in 1884. All his life he took a keen interest in sport of every description. Starting his football career in a humble team. Bransmuir of Slamannan where “Sandy” Young hailed from, Dan spent a couple of years with Broxburn, Shamrock, following which he threw in his lot with Edinburgh Hibernian, whose “livery” Raisebeck and MaConnachie afterwards donned. A spell with East Shirlingshire proceed his resignation across the border, where Sunderland Albion was his first club. Later he joined Grimsby Town. While there he was concerned in the accidental death (through abdomen kick) of a player named Cropper. (Derby County) but the coroner’s jury exonerated him from all blame.
Circa 1890 he transferred his talents to Merseyside. With Everton (then at Anfield) he formed with Andrew Hannah (The Renton laddie) the best defence in England. Doyle was a magnificently built man, a powerful kicker, a sure tackler and a veritable giant in times of stress. Among his contemporaries at Everton were Smalley, and Augus, Hannah, Danny Kirkwood, J. Holt, Boyle, and Stewart, Latta, Brady, Geary, Chadwick and Milward. Most of these players along with Doyle contributed to Everton’s securing the championship in 1890-91 in the third season of the League. The names of the bemedalled players were given here sometime ago. Internationally too, this was a red-letter season in Everton arrivals. Holt, Geary, Chadwick, and Milward were all capped against Scotland for the first time. The great game was played at Blackburn –Chadwick and Holt’s town –and England emerged triumphantly 2-1, thanks to the brilliant work on the part of the Merseyside contingent. Hannah had also an international “halo” to his name, his one and only Scottish “cap” dating back to his Renton days in 18888 v. Wales. Likewise Latta whose two “sole” honours v. England, 1889 and v. Wales were gained while a member of the Dumbarton Athletic team.
Doyle was expected to continue his allegiance with Everton the following season, 1891-92, their last at Anfield, and was duly accommodated so it is alleged during the summer. But like the Arab he folded his tent and quietly stole away to Celtic. Proceedings followed in the County Court. My reliable informant does not recollect Doyle being styled “Dirty Dan” during his stay with Everton. That adec belonged to another Evertonian surnamed Dick, who was everywhere known as “Dirty Dick.” But Dick was rather dangerous on occasions and once had the awful humiliation being “hooted” at Anfield by the home crowd for attempting to “spill” West Bromwich Albions brilliant outside right Billie Bassett when the latter had left him “gasping.”
On reaching Parkhead for the 1891-92, Doyle partnered Reyonds in a Celtic team which he never describing as the best he every saw fielded by any shy club. He remained with the Glasgow club until he retired from the game for good. Dan had conferred in him all the honours of football. He played for Scotland v. England in 1892, 1894, 1895, 1897, 1898 thrice against Wales and Ireland and in nine representative League games.
From the Scots Guards depot we learn that Corporal Kirsopp, Everton’s sole, purely local of days that were has been severely wounded in the recent fighting. He is at present in France waiting to undergo an operation. A city friend tells me that the return of letters addressed to him in France had occasioned much anxiety lately. “Echo” readers will be among the first in wishing Billie Kirsopp an early recovery.

April 13, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton-Southport Game
By Bee
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins and Stott, backs; Cotter, Fleetwood (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Burgess, forwards. Southport; Capper, goal; McDonald (Everton Res) and Stansfield, backs; Garder, Sheldon and Kenyon, half-backs; Hooper, Caulfield, Metcalf, Eacock, and Burke, forwards. Five locals were playing for Everton today at Goodison Park against Southport Central. Clennell was also selected. He has been absent a long time through a troublesome complaint.
Southport were hard pressed to name a team and delayed the start. Referee Ryance who has been connected with Lancashire County Circket club, Southport were two men short when the teams lined up, but the game was delayed still further and when operations started it was seen that Arthur Metcalf the Liverpool forward had been pressed into service at centre forward.
Clennell Opens The Score
The game had not been going long before it was seen that Everton were toying with their opponents. This was a natural result. In eight minutes Everton were one up. Clennell had been fouled, and when he took the free kick a Southport defended advanced more then ten yards with the result that the free kick was taken again, and this time Clennell fired in a low ball which seemed to be scoring all the way. The ball, however, hit Capper’s chest and judging by the extraordinary protest y Everton supporters at the back of the goal the referee had made a severe mistake in judging the ball over the line. Whether he was right or wrong there could be no mistaking the fact that he was quite wrong in prolonging an argument with Capper.
Gault Improved
There was nothing of point for seven minutes after this, and then came a second goal scored by Gault, who fad to thank Jefferis for a lovely pass. In spite of a long lob by Shelden and some tricky back heeling combination between the old Nottingham player, Hooper and Caulfield, Everton kept well on top of their opponents. The home backs moderately being uncertain in their kicks. It was as well they steadied up, because Southport in attack were better represented today them throughout the season this was shown when Hooper gave Caulfield and Metcalfe fairly good chances of scoring. A rather remarkable succession of shots was tried by Burgess who had four trices to goal in as many seconds and was crowded out each time. In a trice that left winger had an open view of goal, but this time fired too high. Souhport were not entirely out of the hurt, and when their half-backs gave them a chance the visitors attacked reasonably well. There was one occasion when Metcalfe screwed wide, and Burke went very close with a nice low shot. Of course Southport’s left-wing was their might and it needed a safe pair of hands to prevent Caulfield scoring.
Metcalfe Scores for Southport
After Capper had made a save from Fleetwood by wing his body. Hooper darted away, had the field well beaten, and hit the crossbar. Fortunately, Metcalfe was handy and scored quite easily from the rebound.
Half-time; Everton 2, Southport Central 1
The game in the second half opened more briskly than the first half. Metcalfe went just over, and then followed a glorious piece of goalkeeping on the part of Capper, who edged away a terrific shot by Jefferis. Wadsworth, Jefferis, and Clennell were concerned in a practical passing bout, Clennell scoring. Within four minutes Gault scored a beauty. Clennell scored for Everton in five minutes. Jefferis made the score 5-1.
Clennell scored for Everton after 8 minutes
Gault scored for Everton after 15 minutes
Metcalfe scored for Southport after 44 minutes
Clennell scored for Everton after 51 minutes
Gault Scored for Everton -55 minutes
Jefferis scored for Everton -60 minutes

April 13, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Chedgzoy and Kirsopp
By Bees
As “Vin” stated in last nights “Echo” Kirsopp has been wounded. I have word from a French hospital, from Sam Chedgzoy that he is progressing nicely, and has been able to officiate at some sports gathering his football side –he is managing it –winning the cup. Tim Coleman has write me, but his letter must be held up awhile as also Louis Wellers.
Anderson Eight Months’ Imprisonment
Comments on the football bribery case is not possible –nor is it wanted. Certain it is that the game has been rid of one dark spot by the sentence of eight months hard labour passed on the Manchester United’s ex-footballer George Anderson. The pity is that the main spring of the whole affair has thus far got off scot free. “The Jew” should be found and should suffer accordingly.

April 15, 1918. The Evening Express
Everton are pursuing a very wise policy in taking advantage of the present time to develop promising juniors. On Saturday they put five in the field against Southport and all shaped well, though I was chiefly attracted by Burgess a good shot, who keeps the ball low, and the backs, who met the attacks led by Metcalfe with great steadiness. True, the Blues halves did not show Southport too much latitude and Central were well beaten. Of course they could not have expected “anything else with only nine men at the outset. Southport ill luck began when Capper claimed that the first goal should not have counted, as the ball had not gone over the line, and when the referee decided on a goal it seemed to take some of the heart out of the visitors, though the custodian was again in great form. The height of the Everton press box makes it impossible to give any opinion on the goal referred to, but the official was several times at fault with his offside decisions.

April 15, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
To what extent some football clubs are reduced can be gathered by the fact of Southport Central on Saturday having to borrow players at the last moment. It was good of Metcalfe at the last moment. It was good of Metcalfe, the Liver man, and McDonald an Everton Reserves player, to join up with the Central side and certain it should be, if it isn’t that war-time football should bring clubs together and bind them in a friendly knot.
Smart Goalkeeping
Everton won pretty well as they liked, in spite of their full backs starting as though they had not a straight kick, and in spite of the undoubted capability of such men as Hopper (Nottingham) Caulfield (clever inspite of his inches –a remark hat applied to the clever lad Burke), and Metcalfe. Is Southport’s half-backs could not compare with Everton’s and therein lay the vital difference between the sides. Once again Capper kept a grand goal. The former South Liverpool man was unwise in going on the field with the Blues jersey (a fact the referee did not notice for some moments), and he was unwise to carry his challenging of a referee’s decision to the extent he did, but otherwise he played great football, and his dive after a cannon-ball delivered by Frank Jefferis was an eye-opener, the ball being edged away in first class fashion; in fact it was much like Billy Scott’s patent way of getting to a hot ball. No one was safer than Scott so far as a shot to the left (Scott’s right hand) side, and Capper’s save must have conjured up memories of the Irishman’s saves on the same ground. Referee Rylance started ill –a bad start with a home crowd barking that the visiting side has a goal they do not deserve is something of a novelty and is good sportsmanship on the part of the spectators. Referee Rylance was not happy, but I know that he will do better anon. One or more players one time cried aloud for offside, but the referee had made a good verdict, and the players recognized this so soon as he pointed to a player they had overlooked. So you see all can make mistakes –none more than the writer, however! Burgess improved by association with Clennell, the young backs did well on setting down to business, Cotter comes on all the time, and Wadsworth has lean patches apparently. To Southport our thanks for putting up a good fight. They deserve better luck.

April 16, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bees’ Sports Notes
Mr. Harry Rylance, of Earlestown, favours me with an official view of the Everton-Southport game re the opening goal scored by Clennell. Mr. Rylance says;-
I was not arguing with Capper, the goalkeeper. I took not the slightest notice of his claim about the goal incident, but was instructing him to change his jersey whilst he had the opportunity. I had ordered the change of his jersey at the commencement, but I thought it wise to start the game, as there had been already a delay in kicking off. Now about the incident which led to Everton’s first goal. I was right on the spot, and can assure you that the ball hit inside the post and at the same time the net, and the Southport goalkeeper did not see this, as he had given it up and of course, gathering the ball from the rebound, he may have thought he could try a bluff. I must give him his due, as he did not see it hit the inside of the net.

April 16, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bees’ Sports Notes
Tim has been “at it again.” He writes me;-
We have been in it again, and I am afraid this time with a vengeance. I have been away from the battalion since the first day of the big attack, and have heard no news about them at all. Sheldon and I left the battalion at a place not far from the line to go on leave. We arrived at Peronne and were there when the Boche opened his bombardment. We were taken by train down the line, and have been here ever since. I am afraid a lot of our lads have gone west – a great stand by our division –and the place we were at was lost and retaken twice, so the lads were right amongst it. Have no fear now; the worst has passed, and without being an Horasio I think before many months have passed will see the finish of this terrible affair. Kind regards to my Liverpool friends.

April 16, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bees’ Sports Notes
Louis Weller (In India) writes;-
Many thanks for your kind gift; I might mention here that it was the first piece of mail I have received out here since arriving so you can imagine how welcome it was to receive came. It is a treat to get a descent cig, as the class they produce here is awful, so I have smoked very little. They call the chief cig out here “Scissors,” but they cut like razors. We have been here close on three weeks now, but I can hardly describe the place as yet as we are waiting for clothing to afford us to take a Stoll, as we still have our uniform worn in “Flanders mud” It’s rather strange that I should hear from you the day we played the South Lancashire Battalion. A great many are Liverpool lads. One lad (who came to range the match) comes from the St. Anne’s School, and he played inside left against us. He says he saw me many a time at Goodison in the Combination team. This lad played well, and is well built, too, and likely to make a useful player when out of the Army –which he is anxiously waiting for and he is not alone); One of the King’s Regular battalions is also here. How, old sport, amongst my mail I have had several letters congratulating me on a brave and galliant act which took place on our voyage out her. According to a well-known weekly paper, I rescued a sergeant who fell overboard, near Malta. I have not the remotes idea who circulated this falsehood, but I assure you of this –that nothing whatever occurred. Arthur Woodland is here, and he had quite a laugh when I opened first one letter and then another containing congratulations!

April 17, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
“Vin” writes –Communicating with a local friend from the 1st Southern General Hospital, Birmingham, Corporal Billie Kirsopp, Everton’s forward, briefly recounts his recent experience; “Just a line to say I am back in England and feeling fairly well considering I got hit in the leg and hand – but the former is only a flesh would and is mending well. The first finger of my hand has been amputated. Strange to say Hampton the Aston Villa professional was one of the R.A.M.C men at the hospital I was brought to in France. Harrison was all right when I left. Well you never saw such slaughter in all your life. They attacked us one morning and we left dead Germans piled ten high and still they came on. God knows they must have lost half a million men. We have lost a large number of men, but one-tenth of what the Huns lost. We had 14 days’ continuous fighting. No pen could describe it but I thank my lucky stars I am in the land of the living.
Southport v. Everton at Ash Lane; Capper; Dorward, Stansfield; Garner, Gardiner, Smith; Eacock, Caulfield, Sheldon, Brew, Burke.

April 18, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton’s strongly rein-forced side will be seen at Ash Lane. Robinson will return to the full back division; Wareing will résumé at centre half-back and Clennell and Donnachie will constitute the left wing; team; Mitchell; Robinson, Stott, Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie

April 18, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
From France I get a note from friend H.K. Osborne.
I thought it might interest you to have the following views of two of our old local favorites in Egypt. My chum writes from there under date of 6th inst as follows;-
Last Saturday I watched a match between the R.B’s and a convalement camp. Parker of Everton, McDougall of Liverpool and Langton of Tottenham Hotspurs, were playing. Parker can hardly run, I don’t think he will ever be fit for professional football again. He is not half the chap he was physically. McDougall played very well and he and Parker scored the companies two goals for them.
I only hope that the surmise Parker state of health will soon be augmented by better news. No doubt his wounds have made a great difference. My chum also adds. An Egyptian who is secretary of a good native club here told me the other day that after the war he was thinking of taking his team to play Liverpool and Manchester teams. He said he would get gates of 40,000.

April 19, 1918. The Evening Express
The Goodison Park men will be basking in the breeze at Southport and will have plenty of time to do it unless the Central can muster some sterner opposition than they have shown themselves capable of lately. Having reached the third place only in the competition proper, the “Blues” are apparently making a serious bid for the “junior” title as they will have a very strong side out it boardroom intentions can he carried through. The teams may line up as follows; Everton; Mitchell; Robinson, Stott; Fleetwood, Wareing,Grenyer; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie
Southport; Capper; Dorward, Stanfield; Garner, Sheldon, Smith; Eacock, Caulfield, Gardner, Brew, Burke.

April 20, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
By “Vin”
Kirsopp, the Wallasey South Liverpool and Everton forward is progressing well. Strange that Hampton (RA.M.C) of Aston Villa should “dance attendance” on him in France when wounded and that he should be brought to “Happy’s City of Birmingham.

April 20, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
F.E.H. Describes Game at Southport
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Southport Central; Capper, goal; McDonald and Stansfield; Wilson, Fay and Seape, half-backs; Eacock, Gardner, Geddes, Sheldon, and Burke, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Rylance, Earlestown. Having won so easily last week at Goodison Park, Everton were expected to win handsomely today at Ash-Lane, because the away side was strengthened by the inclusion of Wareing and Donnachie. The obsequies of Southport Central’s season was solemnly celebrated under somber and coloured clouds that slipped dismally, and there was only a handful of spectators principally of wounded soldiers at Ash Lane. Everton had practically the same team as at Goodison Park a week ago, but Southport had two or three alterations. It was well after half-past three when Southport started against the breeze on a nice, yielding turf. Everton were immediately busy on the right, and Wadsworth passing smartly to Jefferis the latter forced a corner. This was well placed, but Grenyer nullified the advantage by sending wildly high over the bar. The visitors returned again on the right. Fleetwood being the initiatory force, but was finally at fault and a promising movement came to nothing. It was some time before the home forwards found their feet so to speak, but even when they moved off on the left wing they were checked with comparative case, and the Evertonians were again hammering the home defence. Wareing served up with judgment and after Clennell had miskicked, Gault put in a wonderfully fine shot which Capper deflected from the net at the cost of a corner.
Gault Scores further aggressive operations on the part of the visitors kept both Stansfield and McDonald on tender hooks, and both the backs were fairly beaten when Gault called in between them and saved with a fast shot. Prior to this, I should have mentioned Clennell had experienced hard luck with a drive that struck the upright. As the game progressed Everton became obviously more and more masters of the situation and the Central goal was subjected to one long continuous bombardment in which the visitors should have scored half a dozen times in as many minutes. As it was, Wadsworth lifted the ball high over the bar, Clennell drove yards wide and Grenyer from long range propelled the leather almost on to the sky line.
Quick Scoring
The Southport halves strove strenuously to resume the venues but they rarely permitted to get over the centre line, and Everton’s superiority was emphasized when Wareing coming through the rock drove the ball past Capper with telling force. There was at length a refreshing interlude when Geddes got through and looked like scoring, but he was pulled up by Robinson and the visitors resumed their campaign of aggression. They forced yet another corner, and from this Clennell netted with characteristic accuracy. Southport’s cup was now full, but the wearers of blue jersey were without compassion. They came through again in combined order, and Jefferis with something of his old-time skill in commanding the ball, registered a fourth goal with a slanting shot that left Capper helpless. There followed another sustained attack on the home goal, but sheer reckonness in shooting robbed the visitors of additional points and they had palpably eased up when Burke was permitted to get away, only he send the ball wide. Another breakaway by Southport left proved futile and just before the interval a better attempt on the part of Burke and Sheldon to get through was spoiled by the timely interference of Collins. The home right wing then made ground creditably, and from a pass by Eacock, Geddes was well placed when he headed wide of the mark. Half-time; Southport 0, Everton 4
Comments on the first period of the game would be simply superfluous. Frankly, there had been only one side in it, and Everton’s toll of goals might easily have been doubled. The brutal truth is that Southport were hopelessly outclassed. In racing parlance they had never seriously “raised a gallop.”
Second Half
Turning round the visitors at once resumed the merry game of harassing their opponents. The three inside forwards closed in with almost clock-work precision and after Jefferis had skied the leather over the woodwork Clennell followed suit with an equally erractic effort. It became increasingly apparent that Fleetwood and his colleagues were merely toying with their antagonists for the half-backs no began shooting on their own account, and the flying sphere was more frequently in the air than on the turf. Wilson once opened up a prompting movement but Gardner failed to profit by it, and the later stages of the contest remained in favour of the visitors.
Goals Scorers
Gault scored for Everton
Wareing scored a second for Everton
Clennell scored a third for Everton
Jefferis scored fourth for Everton

April 22, 1918. Evening Express
Southport did not provide Everton with very strenuous opposition, and the Central have the unenviable record of going through the small competition without securing a single point. Indeed they have only scored one and yielded 23 goals.

April 22, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
Everton took four goals and offered none in return. The result was not surprising. Here is F.E.H.” brief comment on the game;-
The Evertonians completed their regular season with a runaway victory over Southport Central at Ash-Lane. They beat the Sand-grounders in the hollowest of fashion by four clear goals –all registered in the first half and this margin might well have been an largely had the wearers of the blue jersey cared to rub it in. The match was so one-sided that it was scarcely be considered seriously. The successful Everton sharp-shooters Gault, Wareing, Clennell and Jefferis that last named’s effort being a beauty.
Liverpool win the Subsidiary Competition on goal average over Everton.

April 23, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
“Watty”Campbell the ex-Mersey footballer, is home from Ruhleben after confinement for 3 years and 8 months. J.B. Niven the old Scotch international and clubmate away back in the eighties had an auld langsyne talk with “Watty” and learned of his experience of his days spent in a German camp. Campbell hails from about the Border. That little town Moffat on the borders was his birthplace. This little hamlet produced a number of excellent footballers, despite its 2,500 inhabitants. They had at one period an eleven which brought fame to the famous “well village” –they won all the South of Scotland’s trophies and played themselves into the last eight in the Scottish Cup Competition. When Curfew Shamrock were a terror to most Lanarkshire teams, and were expected to put “paid” to the Moffat, they got their career cut short by a defeat of 4 goals to 1. It was at Dundee that, after playing a drawn game at Moffat they had to acknowledge defeat by the “East End” team of the jute city. The club produced two international players and many who found their way into leading clubs all over the country. Campbell, in 1887-88 found his way over the border and played for Bootle for three seasons. He found his way to Everton and was one of the winners of the League for that club, in 1900-01. His position was left half back and he played in front of the new “departed” Dan Doyle. When Dan left Everton suddenly, “Watty” filled his place at full back and it was in that position that he ended his football career. Playing against Preston North End at Goodison, he came into collision with Gordon, the famous wing player, and twisted his knee so badly that he had to give up for a time. The directorate signed him on for the next season in the hope that he could recover, but the accident ended the career of one who was rising to fame on the field. His long confinement at Ruhleban has not improved his health by any means, but Scotch grit and stamina has stood him in good stead and all the abuse, hunger and provocation has not killed “Watty” Campbell. He does so love the Germans! He thinks old footballers and men used to a seafaring life stood the test best. He often saw Bloomer, Wolstenholmes, Jack Cameron, Brearley, and Pentland. He used to assist in the football management of his barrack team, and was chairman for some time. Football he says, kept them “alive” as it helped break the monotony and carried away the thoughts of home for a while. An incident he now laughs at was on New Year’s Eve when a Scotch lot, determined to have a little fun, got a piper to cheer them up. Not having a “wee drappie” to sing “A guid New Year t ane and a” they danced and sang till the guards thought they had gone “balmy.” At last came the Hun order to seize the piper, and take the “infernal machine” from him. Fritz hesitated for a moment and having got a second order to seize it, he ran along the barracks with it in outstretched arms, as it peeled out the last strains of the wind bag. As “Watty” says they seemed to be as much afraid of the pipes as they are of the lads in the kilt.

April 24, 1918. The Evening Express
We have not had the pleasure of seeing Sheffield team in Liverpool for a long time, and so welcome with all the greater zest the coming of the United to Goodison on Saturday, especially as the receipts go to the Footballers War Fund. Everton have selected the following side;- Mitchell; Stott, Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie. Kick-off 3-30.

April 26, 1918. The Evening Express
Tomorrow Sheffield United are due at Goodison Park. Next week the Blues return the compliment, The Goodison club have selected a powerful eleven against the United, including Smith, the West Bromwich back. The chosen team is; Mitchell; Smith, Stott, Fleetwood, Wareing, Cotter; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie. Kick-off 3-30. In view of a number of inquiries from holders of “seasons” Mr. Cuff wishes it to be known that they will be admitted on production of their ticket.

April 26, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Foreword
Oh, memory! We sigh when we think of the days that were and the time that has elapsed since last we saw teams other than purely Lancashire clubs. I know that whether the weather be fine or not a tremendous crowd will gather at Goodison Park to see how the Midland League team fares. Last season we saw grand football when Everton and Leeds City met but then Leeds are only just making football history, whereas Sheffield United have a long record, and will be making their final visit for years. It will be decidedly interesting to renew acquaintance with George Utley. Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Stott; Cotter, Fleetwood, Wareing; Wadworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie.

April 21, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins, and Stott, backs; Cotter, Robinson, and Wareing, half-backs; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Sheldon, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Sheffield United; Blackwell; Melton and B. Smith, backs; Pantling, Brelsford, and Utley, half-backs; H. Wilson, Brown, Kitchen, Charles, and Shearman, forwards. Everton selected a very strong wide, but at the last moment there were a number of changes, Fleetwood, Smith, and Gault being absentee. Considering the brilliance of the day the crowd on the start which was delayed a quarter of an hour was a good one probably 14,000 strong. Sheffield lost the toss and were put to face a very powerful sunshine. United were the bigger side in almost every particular and it was height that stood Utley in good stead when he seemed to have over-dribbled. Clennell was baulked cleverly by Brelsford when he attempted one of his wriggly runs. What advantage there was in the opening stages were certainly United’s and in view of the liveness of the ball, their policy in keeping the ball low, was certainly wise. Fortunately for Everton their two young and inexperienced backs opened with confidences in kick and judgment. It was left to Donnachie to get Everton going, and buy his opening play he revived memories of his exhibition at Sheffield in the fashion N.D.J match. Still United was he stronger set, Kitchen woke up the crowd with a swift attack that was spoiled through offside.

April 21, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
George Barlow, who was sparkled on the Everton left wing, and has been the only amateur for years to preserve his status and keep his place in League football in Lancashire has kicked his last ball according to his present intentions. He has this week intimated to the Preston North End directors that duties which he has now to assume will prevent him from continuing to play, and his retirement will be a source of regret, not only to the Deepdale club, but to footballers generally, for George has always been a sportsman of the very best type and a chivalrous opponent. He has had a pretty long innings for a non-professional –thirty-years – and he might have gone on even longer had circumstances permitted for he shows little sign of deterioration in his play.

April 29, 1918. The Evening Express
Liverpool sportsman are ever ready to support a good cause, and no less than 10,000 of them attended Goodison Park on Saturday, with the result that the Footballers’ War Fund will benefit to the extent of £260. The game between Everton and Sheffield United was a fine one to watch, being contested with zest and science the only drawback being that Utley the visitors was injured so badly that he had to retire altogether. Each side scored once, a fair reflex of the play, because if the visitors were better served in the rear, Everton had the more powerful attack.

April 29, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Sheffield United’s visit to Goodison Park is the text and there is not a great deal to say, because the team-sheet was much cut into by injury and illness, and Everton were out of gear in every link save goal, were Mitchell did wonderful things, the brightest being his stoppage of a red hot shot taken by Mutch the full back. Time was when Bob Benson the big back who died in Arsenal’s dressing room, used to race the length of the field to take United penalty kicks. He got quicker the further he went, and then he rammed up a really hot one, which the goalkeeper rarely saw, let alone tried to stop. Now on Saturday when linesman wisely helped Forshaw to a decision regarding a penalty kick for hands, Milton he back took the kick and the spectators expected Kitchen a sharp shooter to be entrusted with the spot kick. Milton must be known in the Sheffield stable because he advanced to the spot and drove in a terrific shot which nearly knocked over Master Mitchell. The save and shot were quite memorable.
Utley’s Bad Luck
It was unfortunate that Utley’s accident led to his leaving the field, because there was little chance of comparing styles. On effect of the match, however stood out boldly –that was the manner in which Kitchen went towards goals his decisions in shooting. Shearman and Charles on the wing and sturdy safe defence. Sheffield kept the ball down, Everton’s backs though playing well, ballooned and did not take sufficient care to keep the ball in play. Everton’s forwards, always pretty to watch, have developed a hugging policy and while in friendly’s games it is often successful it may in pace times football fall before rugged half back work. Of goals there were but two. Pantling doing the trick for the United and knowing that half-backs should at times take a pot shot just as Wareing did. Jefferis played topping football in the second half and it was his good heady work that led to Clennell equalizer –it was compensating to find Clennell scoring after being bowled over on the hard ground and injuring his elbow and thing. Other remarks Shearman who worked well who you remember that he made his name with Bristol City and afterwards went to the Albion was not the only winger worth. Young Wilson started moderately and wound up brilliantly. He has many points –body and playing –and he follows the Bob Evans type of run and centre –a type that was always useful to co-forwards who could head a ball aright.



April 1918