Everton Independent Research Data


February 1, 1918. The Evening Express
Another exclusive in our early edition was that the Blues are in the unfortunate position of having to make several changes from the team chosen. Gault, who has not enjoyed the best of health recently, has caught a chill and cannot go to Rochdale, and his place will be taken by Bain. Wareing is also a nonstarter so Cotter will play, Fleetwood acting as pivot. Teams; Everton; Mitchell; Riley, Robinson; Cotter, Fleetwood, Grenyer; Bain, Jefferis, Wright, Clennell, Donnachie. Rochdale; Kay; McDonald, Hayes; Bunting, O’Connell, Rigg; Rawlings, Sheldon, Halligan, Thomas, Smith (or Jones).

February 1, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton at Rochdale will find Spotland’s ground very awkward. All visitors say things about the ground. Still with Fleetwood back in the ranks, Everton will feel more comfortable, albert Smith is absent and Riley is the deputy. These are the teams; Teams; Everton; Mitchell; Riley, Robinson; Cotter, Fleetwood, Grenyer; Bain, Jefferis, Wright, Clennell, Donnachie. Rochdale; Kay; McDonald, Hayes; Bunting, O’Connell, Rigg; Rawlings, Sheldon, Halligan, Thomas, Smith, Jones.

February 2, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
By Vin
My Friend “Ex-Manager” under the reading “In Freedom’s Cause,” contributes a fine article this week on what the Everton players have done in the Great War. He is, however, somewhat premature in his statement that Kirsopp has been granted a commission. The wish is father to the “Gazette.”
Will Cuff
Mr. Cuff has held the Everton reins for the past seventeen years. The duration was seemingly rather “elastic.” My city affairs of knowledge, who is not and never has been in any affricated to our local clubs, sends along a few biographical lines, which, he alleges are near the mark;-
Mr. William Cuff is a solicitor, admitted in 1894 having served his auricles with Messrs W.W. Wynne and Sons. He had an office at 16 Lord-street, for some few years and late in the nineties became a director of the Everton Football Club. He succeeded Mr. R. Molyneux as secretary of the club about the opening of the 1902 season and continued his office in Lord-Street for a short time only after that. Since then he has devoted pretty well all his time to the football club, leaving very little margin for his private legal work. At one time his salary ran to about –per annual and he was particularly good value for it. When I join the board I shall have a few “words” with someone on the subject, taking my last sentence for the text! There does not seem to be any record of any presentation to Mr. Cuff during his long tenure of office “principal boy” nor even a banquet.
The first secretary of the Liverpool club, was Mr. W.E. Barclay who I understand master of manager of an industrial school. He officiated for the first few years and was succeeded by Mr. John McKenna who acted as secretary for a short time. Mr. Tom Watson was appointed in 1896 at a commencing salary of £250 which was eventually increased to £400. He died on May 6, 1915. Mr. Simon Jude chartered accountant has been Liverpool’s company secretary since his incorporation. With Everton the company and club secretary ships are merged into one all-embracing office.
I hear that Melbourne Inman the champion billiard player is on the invitation of Lieutenant Galt, Rangers, Everton &c.

February 2, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
F.E.H. Special
Everton at Spotland had not the same side that put up a good fight against Manchester City. Wareing and Gault were absent through illness, and it was good, therefore that Tom Fleetwood was able to make his first appearance since he broke his arm. Cotter and Bain new boys from Kirkdale, were chosen. Teams;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Riley and Robinson, backs; Cotter, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs; Bain, Jefferis, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Rochdale; Kay, goal; McDonald, and Hayes, backs; Rigg, O’Donnell, and Henderson, half-backs; Jones, Sheldon, Thomas, Fisherly, and Smith, forwards. Referee; Mr. F. Heald, of Manchester. A damp dismal afternoon with a suggestion of fog in the air, greeted our arrival at Rochdale. In spite of these depressing conditions, however, a large crowd ventured out to Spotland to see the Evertonians who are very popular in the borough. The visitors were able to field the team selected, Fleetwood’s return very welcome. The home side, on the other hand, were without Halligan, who was absent for the first time, and there were other alterations which did not quite enhance Rochdale’s chance. It was ten minutes later when Everton started on a soft and spongy surface. Rochdale attempted an advance on the left but Smith was obviously offside when he shot. The Evertonians made raid progress on the left, and Donnachie swung the ball dangerously onto the goalmouth. Kay cleared well, but Fleetwood, who was backing up finely, tried a crushing long drive which was only saved at the cost of a corner.
Sheldon Hits The Mark
This was cleared, and Rochdale coming down in combined order, managed to elude the vigilance of both the Everton backs, with the result that Sheldon with a pot shot netted a close range. This was a distinctly lucky goal and it had the effect of starring the Everton forwards to tremendous activity. Donnachie again led the way, and from his square pass Wright and Jefferis both fixed in hot shots which were cleared more by good luck than anything else. Kay threw the first one clean, and McDonald was fortunate in intercepting the effort that came from the foot of Jefferis. It was not long before Rochdale forwards were again on the warpath, but the movement terminated in Smith sending the leather yards wide of the mark. Splendid tackling and feeding on the part of Fleetwood but the Evertonians in possession again, but Wright could only direct the ball outside. There was a temporary hull in the pace, Rochdale making ground by easy stages, but this time they were stalled off by Robinson, and Clennell removed the scene of hostilities with a wonderful solo effort that failed at the critical moment owing to the intervention of McDonald. The Blues however, were now paying consistent attention to the home goal, and after Jefferis had failed with a long shot Grenyer tried a hard drive which passed over. The visitors at this period were showing much superior tactics than their opponents and they seemed to be able to do everything but score. The three inside men were in turn knocked off the leather just as they were in the act of shooting and when Wright came through on his own account a second time his shot was finally fielded by the home keeper. Rochdale took up the running, and Flasherty and Thomas both made attempts to increase the lead, but their finishing touches lacked accuracy and for a time play was mainly in midfield. The Rochdale left were once more the first to resume the initiative and Smith sent in a long oblique shot which was charged down.
Wright Equalises
Bain and Jefferis were next prominent with a skilful dribble along the wing, but they were not permitted to pass Hayes and when they returned through Donnachie and Clennell the offside rule came into operation and nullified the movement. The visitors, however, were not to be shaken off. They came once again on the left, and Donnachie put in a lovely centre, which Wright headed over the bar. Fleetwood then put Clennell in possession. The clever Evertonian would certainly have wriggled through except for Regg, who was proving a veritable watchdog and the break-up at the same time. For quite a long time Everton monopolized the attack and half a dozen shots were raised in rapid succession. There were either met by Kay or cleared by the home backs, but eventually the pressure became to powerful that in the middle of a bully Wright scored an equalizer at close range. This achievement naturally aroused the spirits of the Evertonians to concert pitch, and they proceeded to bombard the Rochdale defence. Donnachie got in two fine shots almost from the corner flag and then the ball was swung across to the right where after Jefferis had touched it, Bain closed in and scored amid great excitement. Everton were still pressing when the interval came.
Half-time; Rochdale 1, Everton 2.
All things considered Everton fully deserved their lead at the turn. After Rochdale’s somewhat sensational opening the visitors rallied strongly, and at all points of the game they were cleverer than their opponents. Fleetwood and his two partners gave the side both balance and strength, and as I have clearly indicated Wright and Co came within an ace of scoring dozens of times, only to miss the target at the finish. Donnachie and Clennell were the most prominent of the juintette although Jefferis did much clever work. The backs were not altogether too safe at times, though they stopped ugly rushes.
The Second Half
The light was fading badly when play was resumed before some 8,000 spectators. Rochdale were the first to attack on the left wing. Twice Smith got the better of Cotter, and on the second occasion he sent the ball slamming against the crossbar. Everton replied with a spirited breakaway on the left, but here again there was a lack of finish and McDonald was able to clear his lines. Nevertheless the visitors were soon at it again, and after Jefferis had been pulled the ball was swung out to Bain who put in a smart shot that brought about a corner. This was safely negotiated but still the Evertonians kept pegging away, and a little more steadiness at close range must have eventually told its tale. As it was many fine openings were lost and Wright tried a long shot which came to nothing, where otherwise by the exercised a little description it might well have been rammed home. In the later stages Rochdale bucked up strongly, and there were numerous exciting epos ides. They came along smartly on the left, and the ball being put into the goalmouth O’Connell scored with a drive that struck the bar and gained into the net. After this the tension was greater than ever and the closing stages of the struggle were exceptionally fine. Final Rochdale 2, Everton 2.
Sheldon scored for Rochdale
Wright equalized for Everton
Bain scored for Everton
O’Connell equalized for Rochdale

February 4 1918. Evening Express
By Rover
Visiting teams to the Rochdale enclosure invariably find it a difficult matter to exact quarter from the local side owing to the peculiarities of the playing pitch on which the Dalemen are in a sense quite at home. The Evertonians though they managed to divide the spoils of Saturday, were also the superior side practically a all points, and it would not have occasioned surprise had they finally cleared the difficult hurdle with a pronounced margin of victory. The ground was all against the forwards and to none more so then Clennell, who under ordinary conditions must have recorded quite a crop of goals on his own account. During the first quarter of an hour the home goal was saved from capture on quite half a dozen occasions more by luck than good management, and it was quite evident that Everton’s star was not to be in the ascendant says. There were changes on both sides and with the exception of the rear division Everton’s reputation did not suffer thereform. It was from weakness in the department in his department that the Rochdale forwards managed to obtain the opening and later on the equalizing goal. Of the Everton forwards none contributed better work than Jefferis. In addition to getting the best out of his young partner he repeatedly outwitted the opposing half-backs, and opened out the play to his comrades in such a manner as to warrant the best results. Wright too, played a thrustful game in the centre, and Clennell and Donnachie were always a source of anxiety to the home rearguard. It was surprising, however, that goals were not forthcoming from the quarter, for the opposing defence was at times very slack. The return of Fleetwood to the team provided a great source of strength both in attack and defence. His display as the pivot of the side was well-night perfect as probably the three inside Rochdale forwards would be ready to admit, and while his placing was generally accurate he was frequently busy in his efforts to beat Kay with powerful drives. Grenyer too, maintained his reputation and Cotter continues to improve but further behind the quality of work was not of the same standard. Robinson gave a fairly good account of himself, but Riley was frequently in distress, and the unevenness in this quarter decided the home forwards in their plan of campaign. The wing men at times put in good work and were well supported by Rigg and O’Connell, but the backs were none too reliable, while Kay like Mitchell, put up a great resistance in goal.

February 4, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
It was not until the second half that Rochdale equalized and thus got one point from Everton.
Everton were rather unlucky in merely making a draw with Rochdale at Spotland, on Saturday. There is no doubt that they were much the superior side in almost every department and they fully deserved on the general run of the day, and points. At the same time, from the close range shooting effort after effort being wasted –while many shots that were on target were wonderfully well death with the Kay who proved class custodian to the matter of close passing –sometimes too close, by the way –and general combination, the Everton player showed much of their accustomed finish with the half-backs work could scarcely have been improved upon. The weakness of the team at full back. Neither Riley nor Robinson showed that confidence in tackling and clearing which is essential to all successful defensive work. The consequence was that Rochdale were frequently allowed to break through and on two notable occasions Mitchell save the situation gallantly. The home side were the first to score, Sheldon netting from a goalmouth bully in first few minutes of the game. From this point he visitors proceeded to take the whip hand and after Wright had equalized, Bain gave his side the lead as the result of a nicely-managed forward movement. In the later stages Rochdale “bucked up” in a spirited fashion and in the consequence struggle in front of Mitchell, O’Connell got home with a hard high drive. The Everton left wing pair, Donnachie and Clennell, played delightfully stylish football and Wright fed his wings fairly well. Jefferis too, was as tricky as ever, and Bain created a favourable impression. The halves as already indicated were the backbone of the team. Fleetwood after his absence returning to the fold and the held like a giant. Smith, Rigg, McDonald, and Kay were the most prominent men on the Rochdale side.


Liverpool Echo- Wednesday 6 February 1918

News has been received in Liverpool this afternoon that George Harrison, the Everton outside left, who has been in the Army a period of a year or so, has been gassed. ôVin" tells us that Harrison progressing favorably, and that another Everton winger, is expected home shortly on leave. Harrison, who was transferred by Leicester Fosse, with Thompson, was but few weeks ago rather badly injured while playing for his regimental side.

February 6, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Foreword
Everton at home introduce us to the rugged Rochdale side who have put paid to some of the best teams in the tourmenent, notably Liverpool. It should be a very interesting game because the Spotland members have some wise footballers in their ranks, and Everton bring back Fleetwood and Waring, together with “someone” at full back. Three points should result from Everton’s fight with the Dales. The team sheets read;- Everton; Mitchell; Newton, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Bain, Jefferis, Wright, Clennell, Donnachie. Rochdale; Kay; McDonald, Hayes; Rigg, O’Connell, Henderson; Jones, Sheldon, Thomas, Farberty, Smith.

February 6, 1918 The Evening Express
The Everton team published in the “Express” last night shows one change for the home match on Saturday as compared with the eleven which did duty away last week while in addition no definite choice has yet been made with regard to the right back position, where Riley operated. Wareing being once more able to resume the old well-tried half back line will be on view once more, while the forwards will be the same as on Saturday. Make a note of the fact that the match commence at 3.30 and in view of the darkness which was so much in evidence last week at Anfield during the closing stages, it is to be hoped there will be a prompt commencement. The selected team is; Mitchell; A.N. Other, and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer; Bain, Jefferis, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie.

February 9, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
A.E. Lewis the Southener cricketer. One recalls Lewis being signed as a full back by Everton. Personally however he fancied himself the as more as a custodian and it was in this department that he eventually developed into a first standard man. Lewis rendered both Sheffield United and Sunderland reliable and sometimes brilliant service beneath the bar.
Kirsopp figured at inside right in the Hammers team that ran round Brentford to the tune of 7 goals to 1.

February 9, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
By Vin
Everton touched the spot at Spotland and went a point better than did Liverpool on the same ground. From the Scots Guards depot comes the news that George Harrison, Everton’s sturdy left winger has been asphyxiated in France, but in coming out of the “fluency” all right. He and Chedgzoy may be expected home on leave shortly.
A City friend sheds some very interesting news concerning the two competent young sons of Mr. Danny Kirkwood who himself has been attached to Govement work since the Kaiser “evening” himself to the Most High sought almighty power. Corporal Willie was wounded at the Pass push last autumn, and has become his modesty, didn’t recal his gold stripe of valour until he reached home. He was recommenced for a commission by his C.O and is now at Oswestry undergoing the necessary training. His brother Corporal Alec, has emerged successfully from the “thick of it” is the flambria district and during the interludes enjoys his game of football, at which he is consummate exponent.

February 9, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Much sympathy to Corporal Billie Kirsopp –in the loss of his mother.

February 9, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Goalkeeper Saves Two Penalty Kicks Taken by Clennell
This day, Rochdale at Everton, whipped up a rather good side, such names as Tom Page, Tully, O’Connell, Hlligans, Smith and Vincent Hayes being included in the team sheet. Wherefore Evertonians were glad to know that Wareing, Fleetwood, and Co were today to play for the home side and that the back division had been strengthened by the acquisition of Newton, of Stockport County. The morning rain had made the ground a trifle slickly. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Newton and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Bain, Jefferis, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Rochdale;- Kay, goal; McDonald and Hayes, backs; Rigg, O’Connell and Tully, half-backs; Sheldon, Thomas, Halligan, Page, and Smith, forwards. Referee; Mr. F. Healt, of Manchester. The poorest crowd of the season as the result of the steady downpour of rain all day and the fierce gale that arose just before the start of the game. Everton won the toss, and immediately it was seen that the sticky surface of the turf would lead to the ball skidding along and beating the players. The ball in fact looked like being the master of the day. Spectators huddled themselves in the ample accommodation that Everton ground offered and the players seemed to find great pleasure in their game in spite of the conditions. The mud-plugger was in his elements, and Hayes and McDonald almost, one might say, as a consequence played good football. The Rochdale halves were in a great hurry to get a touch and they plainly feared the standard set by the Everton forwards. After a quarter of an hour had gone, Everton produced their best attack. Clennell was just a shade too straight with a ground shot, and Donnachie while on the run centred so well that the ball just touched the top netting. Fleetwood added to the thrill with a splendid directed shot, which Kay took with confidence. The mud pond that the Rochdale keeper worked upon let him down but Kay kept hold of the ball, and also found times to reach two charges by the rushing Everton forwards.
A Penalty
The climax came when Donnachie was tripped in the penalty area, Kay again making a real good save, albeit the shot was straight at him. Clennell drive even though dead straight at the goalkeeper toke a deal of handling. Rochdale had opened the game with wise football and the old head, Smith together with Tom Page offered stout work to the Everton defenders but they did not live up to their easy form, and the clever half back line opposed to them held them tight. Grenyer was tapped on the ankle but continued to play capital football in every phase of half-back work. Wright, too, was a star and foraged to good purpose. He was quite close with a header, and these followed in a tride another penalty failure. Clennell was throw in the penalty area and the ex-Rover was again entrusted with the kick, but Kay saved amidst tremendous cheering. The shot was another example of the direct order, but that doesn’t take any praise from Kay, who in saving two penalties in ten minutes, performed a very unusual feat. He had the misfortune to yield his goal to Grenyer through the corner immediately following Kay’s penalty save. Grenyer had so many headed towards goal that he was bound to score sooner or later from a corner kick. Clennell’s ill-luck in the shooting department has been of fairly long standing, and if you would know the prelude period just cast your eyes to Studmarks on the inside page. The game had three minutes to go prior to a turn around when the Everton backs let in the Rochdale boy Thomas scoring with a swift shot that gave Mitchell no chance.
Half-time; Everton 1, Rochdale 1
The shock goal obtained by the Tranmere Rovers player, Thomas set the Rochdale people in good humour and when the game was resumed straightaway Rochdale were in a confident mood, yet Everton set of quite well, although Fleetwood and Wright were too high with their shots. The Everton-Southport player Sheldon, appearing in an unaccustomed position was always a keen worker and found worthy helpers in Tom Page and Smith; but Halligan had quiet period until this moment, when he was let in by the home backs and gained for Rochdale the lead at the 50 minutes’ play.
An Extraordinary Affair
Kay saved a long one, and was then beaten by Clennell, who was plainly offside. Then occurred a extraordinary affair in which Everton drew level. Fleetwood was worming his way through when he was backed. He lay on the turf and apparently the game had been stopped for repairs but the referee had not signaled the by whistling. Undoubtedly the fact that Fleetwood lay on the turf for some seconds led most of the players to end operations. Sheldon with a fine solo run and shot fried to pull the game out of the fire but Mitchell made a great save. Latter Donnachie made two typical efforts to score.
Final; Everton 2, Rochdale 2.
Grenyer for Everton 28 minutes
Thomas score for Rochdale 42 minutes
Halligan scored for Rochdale 50 minutes
Wareing scored for Everton 52 minutes

February 11 1918. The Evening Express
The tale that is told this week of the Everton doings is a repetition as far as score is concerned of seven days ago, for after taking a point from Rochdale –score two goals each –the latter, with a somewhat stronger eleven returned the compliment. A remarkable feature of the first half was that Everton were awarded two penalties both of which were taken by Clennell, and each time the ball was driven straight at Kay who punched it away. Joe seems to have mislaid his shooting boots, as he has not scored this year. As a matter of fact, he did net once but the whistle had gone for off-side. As far as actual pressure was concerned Everton were undoubtedly the better team. The forwards of whom Donnachie stood out by himself at times were simply occupied shooting in, but marksmanship was laking. Bain is getting more confidence though there is still room for improvement. Fleetwood’s return was a big acquisition of strength to the halves, whose understanding kept the Rochdale van from materializing with many moves which opened full of promise. Everton’s chief weakness lay in the rear divison. Newton, of Stockport County and Robinson could not operate comfortably on the slippery turf, and too much fly kicking and back pressing were indulged in. Mitchell had no chance with the scoring shots, and he made one remarkable save from Thomas. Kay was a tower of strength to the visitors. He had a great deal of work, but apart from saving two penalties he stopped a number of tricky shots in spite of the treacherous foothold.

February 11, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Everton were being led through goals scored by Halligan and Thomas as against two missed penalty kicks by Clennell and a goal by Grenyer who makes corners worth having through his height and his ability to head a ball. Fleetwood had tried a shot, had been grassed and anyone with half an eye could see that he was injured. He lay on the turf for some seconds, what time nearly all the players eased up. The referee did not sound a stoppage by whistling but I contend that he should have done. That he didn’t was confusing and Wareing taking a long pit, equalized. Thus did Rochdale wrath get its kindle –and Rochdale did not want a great deal of encouragement so enthusiastic are these new corners to football’s area. It was very debatable whether the point should have scored –albeit I am the first admit that I did not hear a signal for stoppage. The point a this. At what point would Referee Heald have stopped the play through the injured player –How long would he have hung on? If play was to be stopped at all it must surely have been stopped at that point which told the referee that Fleetwood was on the ground some seconds ere Wareing got his chance to net? Moreover before Wareing shot some Everton players ceased play and went towards Fleetwood.
Clennell’s Last Goal December 29
Rochdale’s goalkeeper by stopping two penalty kicks, performed something annual, if not a miracle. But shots were straight to hand, but Clennell imparts great force to his straight drive and that being so, Kay did well. The fact is that at the moment Clennell is out of luck. There were times on Saturday when he dribbled into work, instead of taking his well-directed low cross-first-time. He will soon come back again, and when he resumes shooting goalkeeper’s will know he is the land of the living. Donnachie was our best forward, the half-backs line was clever. Newton of Stockport was not reliable any more than Robinson. Mitchell was excellent notably when Sheldon made play and drove home a grand shot. The man who stood out head and shoulders over all was Vincent Hayes the manager off the side and former Manchester player. There was judgment everything he did. McDonald who helped him manfully is a Liverpool man, as are Sheldon and Tom Page. Halligan was not his usual self and Smith was not well fed.
Lewis and Fern in The Wars
Lewis, it may be mentioned was damaged through collision with the stalwart Dorward and subsequently had to be medically attended two stitches being put into his chin.
Fern the Everton goalkeeper is having his third experience of hospital since he joined up. He is still in Catterick Camp and is recovering from concussion of the brain. This he received through being caught by a colleagues’ elbow.

February 15, 1918. The Evening Express
It has been found necessary to re-arrange the Everton forward line for the visit tomorrow to Blackburn. Donnachie has had a family bereavement, so cannot make the journey but Grant has sufficiently recovered from his attack of the “flu” to play again. He will lead the attack and Donnachie’s place on the left wing will be occupied by Wright. Unless the Rovers are much one fortunate in the team they are able to place in the field than is usually the case the Blues should win with something to spare. The chosen team is;- Mitchell; Riley, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donanchie.

February 15, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Foreword
Donanchie’s absence is due to a beavement in the family. Gault comes in at centre –it is to be hoped he is in better health after his rest –and Billy Wright moves off to the left side, there to partner Clennell. Blackburn nowadays have to rely upon untried youngsters and with no guilding had of experience to help them, they have not much chance against Everton. Mitchell; Riley, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donanchie.

February 16, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
By Vin
“Old Evertonian,” who registers the proud fact that he has followed Everton since their St. Domingo’s days in 1879 (December 23 of that year being the date of their first recorded match) and all through the “piece” from their going to Anfield in 1884, Goodison in 1892 down to the hour of going to press, pens me an interesting “note” in the ex-“Press” language of the Post I thank him for his “sweet” obligingness and correction. He writes;-
“Delying into some Everton records the other day I came across a Press clipping discovered from a journey, since defunct, giving a biography of Everton’s solicitor secretary, therein it was stated that William Charles Cuff was attached to a Liverpool firm and solicitors Messrs R.J. Jones and Kitchingman, Harrington-road with commenced practice on his own account. He was elected a director of the E.F.C in June 1896, and resigned on September 11, 1901 on his appointment as hon secretary on Mr. Molyneux resignation. “He was appointed Secretary in October 1901, and thus will all being well complete 13 years official connection with the E.F.C in June next.

February 16, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
The Ex-Everton left wing forward, Private Harold Dawson, who matured with Bolton St. Luke’s graduated with Blackpool and after a period of services at Goodison Park went south to assist West Ham, has had a good season with the Household Battalion team at Windsor, prior to its being disbanded. He is now serving in the Colestream Guards. Dawson helped the battalion team to win 13 out of 16 games, one being lost and two drawn, which they record 68 goals against 18.

February 16, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
F.E.H. Special
Time was when a visit to Ewood Park the home of Blackburn Rovers was a notable event, and Rovers were capable of extending Everton, but today’s journey to dear old friends had and views. The gate was preposterously small compared with former days and the Rovers team was unrecognizable. It was bitterly cold, and there was a suggestion of show in the air, when we reached Blackburn today, after the customary provided ad inconvenient railway journey. Ewood Park presented a very desolate spectators as compared with the good old days and the handful of spectators present was composed principally of wounded soldiers. Everton were able to field the team selected earlier in the week, but the Rovers had an usual cast about up to the last moment before completing their team. Eventually they were able to turn out a fairly well balanced side, the forward line being strengthened by Fish, the full back. Teams; Mitchell, goal; Riley and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Bain, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Wright, forwards. Blackburn; Gaskill, goal; Goodman and Birmingham, backs; Shuttleworth, Bootlman, and Duckworth, half-backs; Thompson, Gasciogne, Ralph, Livesy, and Fish, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Twist of Preston. It was ten minutes after time when Everton started in the teeth of a pressing wind. After the opening advantage the Rovers with the aid of the wind made progress on the left, and a corner was forced off Riley but the leather was put behind. Everton advanced through a series of long kicks, and both Clennell and Wright were given openings which they mulled rather badly. Excellent work by the home half-backs gave Ralph a chance of making his mark, but he was pulled up smartly by Wareing, and the Evertonians settling down to serious work, gave us some capital football. Fleetwood open the movement with a beautiful pass to Gault, and the latter transferred to Bain. The outside right in turn swung the ball right across to Clennell, who drove just a yard wide of the upright at terrific speed. This was the prelude to a long and sustained period of attacks in which the home defenders were severely taxed.
A Firing Party
Twice the Everton forwards came down in combined stray and after a shot from Gault had been intercepted, Bain put in a long dropping drive, which the home custodian only succeeded in gathering at the second attempt. The visitors were subsequently busy on the left and a pot shot led to the granting of a corner. This was then cleared, but it was not long before Gault and his wings were again bettering at the Blackburn goal. Jefferis first sending one inches wide and then Fleetwood giving Gaskill a rear handful which he cleared at the cost of a corner. Still the visitors persisted and at length from a neat pass on the right Clennell headed into the net at close range. It was a delightful, staple effort and a fitting climax to the good work that had some before. After a brief spell of midfield work the visitors once more attacked strongly, and Gault was brought down in the penalty area. Clennell took the kick and drove the ball straight at Gaskill who affected quite a brilliance save. After that the Rovers enjoyed a little more of the game, the right wing pair being well in the picture but they were not permitted to flourish. Grenyer and Robinson being too smart for them. Nevertheless Fish and Livsey were most persistent and finally the letter got in a splendid oblique shot, which Mitchell saved smartly. This was the best bit of aggressive work on the part of the home forwards witnessed so far and they subsequently tried to make ground on the left where Thompson was well placed when knocked off the ball by Fleetwood. Everton were again busy in turn, and Jefferis and Bain both tried solo efforts which came to nothing. This last named however came through again and lobbed the ball beautifully into the goalmouth. Clennell dashed in and tried to net it.
Gault’s Backs Clennell
Gaskill partially cleared with his head, but he was not successful for as he lay on the ground Gault literally walked the leather through. In the lower stages of the first half there was a considerable smartening up on the part of the Rovers forwards, but Ralph was off side when he tried to reduced the Everton lead. The visitors were again on the warpath and Clennell tried a long ground shot which was easily dealt with. Jefferis followed suit with a running drive but the wind toke the ball yards outside. Thompson and Gasgoine were prominent for a time but Fleetwood got the better of them at the finish while at the other end the offside rule operated against Gault and Clennell just as they were about to shoot. Shortly before half time Rovers made another desperate rally, the leather being missed straight across the goal mouth from the right but Thompson failed at the critical moment. The visitors replied with another series of onslaughts and Wareing coming through the rack scored the third goal with a swift hard drive hat left Gaskill standing. Thompson at the other end put in a fine cross shot which passed over the bar.
Half-time; Blackburn 0, Everton 3.
The first half may perhaps be best described as a polite exposition and interesting display of parlous football on the part of the Evertonians. Once the visitors had tested the real strength of their opponents they proceeded to play very pretty football, but it was of a distinctly free and easy character. Gault and his wings might well have doubled the score, but they were good sports in not slammering their weaker opponents. Except for the few occasions which I have mentioned the Rovers attack was never dangerous.
The Second Half
There was a fair sparkling of spectators present when the teams turn round. The Rovers at once went down in good order, and Ralph had a fine opening, when he shot wide. Everton who worked the advantage of the wind, proceeded to monopolise the attack and a dozen shots were rained in rapid succession. Gault was offside when he put over the crossbar and Clennell was adjudged equally at fault when he netted after the keeper previously failed. Some business work by Rovers half back might have borne fruit but Duckworth was too forcible and once more it was the old story of Everton pressing their target practice. Jefferis once waltzed clean through the field only to finish with a lazy shot, and Wright might have done better than send the ball flying yards wide of the mark. So the game went on, all in favour of the visitors and at the result of further pressure Wareing scored a fourth goal for Everton.
Final; Blackburn Rovers 0, Everton 6
Goal Scorers
Clennell scored for Everton
Gault scored a second for Everton
Wareing scored a third for Everton
Wareing scored a fourth for Everton
Gault added a fifth for Everton
Gault scored a sixth for Everton just on time.

February 16, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
The weather was fine, but very cold when these teams faced each other at 3.30. The teams were as follows; Tranmere; Wilde, goal; Hill and Simpson, backs; Smith, Scott, and Dale, half-backs; Baker, Stewart, Owens, Latta, and Wadsworth, forwards. Everton Reserves; Freeman, goal; Collins and Wynnes, backs; Daly, Parr, Kelly, and Duffey, half-backs; Lovelady, Price, O’Leary, and O’Neill, forwards.
To while away the time the Birkenhead Industrial School Band rendered selections beautifully, under the able leadership of Mr. Joseph Williams, and the boys looked very smart in their red and black caps. Tranmere won the toss, and started from the Bebington end, with a strong breeze to assist them and in the first few minutes were in the visitors half. The visitors made a fine run up the field, but offside stayed the move. The Tranmerites now made towards the visitors goal and looked like scoring. Continuing to press the visitors the Rovers could not score. A goal shot by Owens was well saved by Freeman, who put the ball over the bar. The visitors now had a pop at goal but were defeated by Wadsworth and Latta, Wadsworth made a fine run down the field, and after defeating three visitors passed to Stewart who put the ball in the net. Half-time; Tranmere 2, Everton Res 0. Baker put the ball in, making number 2 for Tranmere. A neat kick from Baker sent the ball to Owen who headed in, but Freeman saved well. The visitors now got going but could not score an open goal facing them.

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 16 February 1918

In a letter from France to an old Prestonians, Mr. J. Kellett, of Burton, George Harrison the Everton left-winger, relates that close to him are Jimmy ross, so of "N.J." and nephew of the great Jimmy and Billy Cook, who, he says gets no older, and is very interested in the football that is being played out there.

February 18, 1918. The Evening Express
By Rover
The game between Everton and Blackburn Rovers was a very one-sided affair, and the margin of six goals to nil by no means correctly indicates the general run of the play. There was never any doubt as to the issue for the Evertonians even with a strong wind against them in the first portion were always the more aggressive side, and had they been so minded a far more pronounced verdict might have been recorded. The Everton players did the right thing, however, in setting their inexperienced opponents an object lesson on how to bring out the nicer points of the game, and the few hundred spectators had also some compensation for the support they accorded the old club. The forward line of the Rovers was very feeble, but their ineffectiveness was only what could be expected against an expert half-back line such as that which represented the Everton Club. Further behind; the home defenders were mainly engaged in chasing the nippy Everton forwards, who delighted with dexterous footwork interlarded with goals scored as regular intervals that served to sustain interest to the finish. Serious criticism of the game would, under the circumstances be out of place; suffice it to state that while the Evertonians were always masters of the situation, the Rovers though hopelessly outclassed, worked strenuously and there were at times, particularly in the defence, several smart touches that resulted in keeping down the score. The goals –three in each half – were recorded by Clennell, Wareing (2), and Gault, who accomplished the hat-trick.

February 18, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
By F.E.H
After a long spell of bad luck, Clennell has resumed scoring, it would be idle to treat the game between Everton and Blackburn Rovers with an due seriousness. The once world-famous Lancashire club is just now in a parlous state, and week after week the directors find difficulty in raising teams. The powerful Everton combination with one of the strongest half-back lines in the country –simply toyed with their weak and comparatively inexperienced opponents and they might have won by just as many goals as they pleased. They were content to score half a dozen, three in each half giving at the same time a pretty and pleasant exhibition of fine and finished footwork. The Rovers forward line was gathatly led by Ralph and the right wing apair were frequently in the picture but for the most part they were quite helpless. Clennell opened the scoring with a delightful piece of headwork and after Gault –who helped himself to three in all –had put the finishing touch to a second Wareing on the first period with a crashing drive. The second half was much repetition of the first. The forwards had what may not appropriately be termed a busman’s holiday and they are to be congratulated upon, temperating their strength with mercy.

February 20, 1918. The Evening Express
Alleged Attempt to Square Matches
Anderson Suspended
A meeting was held in Manchester yesterday of the members of the North War Fund Committee who has been formed for the purpose of helping soldier footballers and their dependent. The committee consists of members of the Football League, the Football Association and the Southern League.
There was also held joint commission to further go into the recent alleged attempts at bribery in respect of the matches between Oldham Athletic v Blackburn Rovers, Manchester United v. Burnley, and Everton v. Blackpool. In each case it was alleged the teams were asked to square the result. The Joint Commission made another exhaustive inquiry which extended over two and a half hours during the whole of which time George Anderson, who, at a previous sitting, had been suspended sine die pending his appearance before the Commission was present and heard the evidence. Amongst the witnesses called were J. Meehan, W.W. Woodward, and J. Silcock, (Manchester United), and T. Fleetwood, and W.E Gault (Everton) and Mr. W.R. Clayton (director) and Mr. W Cuff (secretary) of the Everton club, were also called into the room. Mr. J. Robinson, the secretary of the Manchester United Club and one of the directors of Oldham Athletic, were also present. D. Wilson and A.Gee, two of the Oldham Athletic Players had been summoned to attend but they were not present at the inquiry. Anderson called three witnesses before the Commissioners, who announced their decision as follows;-
The George Anderson be suspended as a football player and from taking any part in football or football management, and from entering any football ground under the jurisdiction of the Football Association in future.

February 21, 1918, The Evening Express
The Everton directors are giving a trial to two Brynn players in the home engagement with Blackburn Rovers with Murray returns to the forward line. The kick-off is fixed for 3.30 p.m. The chosen team is; Mitchell; Blackledge, and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, and Burgess.
Local Ambulance Effort
The splendid work done by the local section of the British Sportsman’s Ambulance Fund was again evidenced at the fortnightly meeting over which Mr. W.A Crouch presided. As a result of the visit of Messrs Couch and Layton to London, five cars are promised for next weeks and providing that a permit for petrol can be obtained they will be brought here and shown at various places in the city and at Bootle and Birkenhead. These are the first of ten which have been ordered and will be lettered –in addition to “Having been subscribed for in Liverpool and district –Stadium. “Bilhards” Birkenhead, “Bootle,” Football with the consent of the authorities it is possible a “flag day” may be arranged during enough money to buy another ambulance. Mr. W.W. Kelly, (President) mentioned that although the Birkenhead flag day was a very wet one, the sum realized was £323 8s. The amount by Birkenhead for the fund would possibly reach £1,300 to £1,400. A letter was read to the promised matinee at the Hippodrome and it was left for Mr. Kelly to form a committee and fix at date. Mr. Clayton, chairman of Everton F.C said the football matches and collections would bring in a total of £500. Mr. Herbert Coleman (Bootle) gave a very satisfactory account of what was being done there, and he also said that he had fixed up a match between Harland and Wolfes and a picked team to play on Everton ground’s on Wednesday next. For the brilliard section Mr. Francis gave a capital return. In the near future Tom Newman will be able to gave his assistance to help the fund. The local professionals, Collins and Pearson, were mentioned as his opponents, but a former is on Government work. However Pearson will probably take part in several games.

February 21, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
As told by our press column last night Everton have newcomers in their team to face Blackburn Rovers at Walton. Blackledge is one name, and this and the players figures at full back. The other trial is one Burgress. Mitchell; Blackledge, and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, and Burgess.

February 22 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Forward
Everton the home side make very interesting introductions and in view of the characterized of the opposition the club is wise in trying on Byrn juniors what time the opposition is not of the Stoke type. Burgess the outside man, and Blackledge are both from Byrn, and with Murray returning after a long absence the Everton team will draw if not the personalities that as yet have not been seen at our ground. Murray went off his game very suddenly and to the outside public he lack of confidence was not understandable. But it appears that he was working late hours and was engaged in heavy work. Therefore the rest must have been welcome. He should now come back to his original form –which was quite good. There will be a collection for the Welsh Flag Day and the team will line up in the manner, before a good crowd. Mitchell; Blackledge, and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Fault, Wright, and Burgess.

February 25, 1918. The Evening Express
Blackburn Rovers owing to war difficulties have had a most unfortunate season through inability to raise a regular team, and on Saturday they were beaten by Everton at Goodison this being their twenty third successive defeat. However they turned out the best team they have fielded up to date and gave a capital exhibition at ne period actually out playing the home eleven. At half-time honours were even, one goal each and early in the second period Everton finding themselves thwarted time after time, because erratic, and for a quarter of an hour their defence had a lively time. afterwards the “black and white stripes” for Everton played in these colours, steadied again, and scored once more to the relief of their supporters who had began to have vision of a most unexpected defeat. Everton gave a trial to Collins of Kirkdale at right back. He is physically well equipped and came through the ordeal creditably, using his height with judgment. A outside left was Burgress of Brynn, who has only one hand. He did very well, his low, sweeping centres and well-placed corner kicks being very useful. Murray returned to the forwards line, but was not on form and the line did not fit as well as usual but the usual halves were quite up to the standard. For the Rovers Gaskel kept a great goal and both Birmingham and Walmsley stemmed many determined attacks. The best forward was H. Wadsworth of Tranmere Rovers and brother of the Liverpool half-backs, but both Bottommore, a local boy and young J. Wright of Bootle, showed great promise.

February 25, 1918. The Evening Express
Although there is to be no second visit of the Tank another interesting exhibition will take place on Wednesday on the St. George’s Hall Plateau. This will be five Motor ambulances which have been collected by the local committee of the British Sportsmen’s Ambulance Fund. Thus the many thousands who have contributed will have the opportunity of seeing some of the fruits of their efforts. The petrol question was one of great difficulty, but owing to the kind efforts of Mr. T.H. Corbett Lowe, of the Red Cross, Society and Messrs Meade King and Robinson petrol will be supplied for local needs. Although the full programme has not been settled yet, it is proposed to exhibit the cars on the Plateau, St George’s Hall, on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m following which will be a tour of the town, to terminate at the Exchange Flags, where it is hoped the Lord Mayor and other local dignitaries will be present. On Thursday, Bootle will probably be visited, and Birkenhead I Friday.

February 25, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Critique
Football turned pretty much after our expectation on Saturday, but there was nearly a calamity at Goodison Park where the Rovers of Blackburn reinforced by Tranmere and other men gave Everton a rare shock. The fact was that the Everton forwards were not sure on their shot, and the Rovers encouraged were kindly by a crowd of sportsmen, fancied their chance a little and wex out boldly for victory. How near they came, but can only be surprised by those who were pressed. Rovers had Everton guessing, in spite of the talented half back one that represented Everton. Fortunately it was that Mitchell timed his saves right and even more fortunate that Wright the visiting centre forward to keep the ball low when shooting from a ridiculously easy angle. This was the point when the score was 1-1 (Gault and Boothman scored) and Rovers were top dog. A mistake like that was bound to have a telling and tangible effect. Everton went ahead and Wareing nodding a corner kick as well as some players boot with the result that Wareing and Rovers were knocked out as one and the same time.
Wadsworth the Winger
That Rovers attacked so well was due to the inspiring way H. Wadworth led that way. He was a didler in part, and his centres were nicely angled. “Time was months and months ago, when Wadsworth was tried for Cunliffe and I Wondered that Liverpool ever were back to the Cunliffe representation, but they did and Cunliffe let them down and Wadsworth went to Tranmere. Similarly young Murray, Manchester City was tried on the Liverpool left and shaped well enough to suggest a connivance of his game with the red jersey. However one mustn’t grumble when the outcome of it all is the appearance of a Scholfield. The home winger on trial, one Burgess played fair stuff in spite of his handicap and he should have other runs with the team. At back Collins pleased by his resoluteness and his sound timing and kicking. Collins looks as though he has come to stay. Rovers had backs of the rugged order, and it was natural I suppose that should take a fancy to Birmingham. Clean fielding by the visitor goalkeeper was another feature worthy of comment. Gaskell being swift to catch and certainly swift to clear.

February 28, 1918. The Evening Express
As stated in the “Express” yesterday Everton have made one change and the team to do duty against Port Vale at Hanley will be;- Mitchell; Collins, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Cooper, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, Donanchie
Sportsmen’s Ambulance
Five of the ten motor ambulances purchased by the subscriptions of sportsmen in Liverpool, Bootle, and Birkenhead were on view today. In the early hours they were to be seen at the Landing-stage and the stations and then they assembled at the St. George’s Hall plateau, prior to making a tour of the principal thoroughfares, where lades were busy with collecting boxes on behalf of the fund. Later in the day the cars toured Bootle, being received at the Town Hall by the mayor. Their smart businesslike appearance was everywhere favorably commented on, and those who helped to provide the money with which they were brought may be justly proud of their share in an all too necessary work.






February 1918