Everton Independent Research Data


January 1, 1918. The Evening Express
“Derby” Game.
All our senior clubs are making an early start this year, being engaged at home, or nearly so, because Everton are almost as well acquainted with the Anfield pitch as their own. This meeting of Liverpool and Everton today, the 5th this year, is in the subsidiary competition, and with both teams strongly represented, the large crowd present anticipated a tight struggle. The elevens are;- Liverpool;- Campbell, goal; Longsworth and Jenkinson, backs; Bamber, Hughes, and McKinley, half-backs; Waine, Metcalfe, Bennett, Lewis and Scholfield, forwards. Everton; Fern, goal; Bull and Robinson, backs; Challinor, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Gault, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Referee; Mr. R. Eccles.
The Game
It was obvious from the outset, it was going to b a very strong struggle for supremacy, but it came somewhat as a surprise when, after four minutes very even play, Gault shooting from much longer range than usual, drove in a fast shot which went just inside the upright out of Campbell’s reach. Straight afterwards Scholfield was responsible for a fine cross shot which Fern fielded, and at the other end Clennell cleverly “dibbed” Longsworth and from his centre Gault was just wide. Everton were much the tricker, being better served both in their half and forward line, and Campbell had an anxious moment until a high one from Grenyer dropped on the top of the rigging. A Liverpool breakaway was only stopped by Robinson returning to Fern. Clever work by Scholfield set the Reds line going, and Robinson conceded a corner which gave no trouble but on the whole the first half-hour was decidedly in favour of the visitors. Longsworth was wide with a free kick, but Lewis showed better marksmanship from an awkward angle, and Fern had to jump out to save his charge. This was however a comparatively simple task compared with his task when Metcalfe let go with terrific force from point blank range and when the keeper brought off a really great bit of work the crowd gave a big round of applause.
Good Back Play
The backs on each side were great trim and Bull several times pulled up Bennett in somewhat summary but very effective fashion while Longsworth sudden rushes frequently upset Donnachie. In this respect the teams were very evenly matched and it seemed as if Gault’s fine commencement of the New Year was going to give the club a good send-off in the subsidiary competition. Everton’s polished play made them good value for the lead, but Campbell was well covered, Jenkinson playing with assurance, while thanks largely to Wareing, Bull and Robinson, they had not been unduly pressed. However Bennett eluded his watchers half a minute before the interval and passed to Lewis who comfortably beat Fern.
Sand Him Victorious
We are an matriculate race, and when during the interval the band played the National Authem not many of the big crowd joined in vocally but those who did laid great stress on the words, “Send him victorious and the rousing cheer at the end showed that the crowd sincerely hoped that this year would see that very desirable culmination to our efforts.
Half-time; Liverpool 1, Everton 1
The second half had only been in progress three minutes when Scholfield dropped the ball night in the Everton goalmouth. Bennett, on the ground, tried to scramble it through, but it was Waine who gave Liverpool the lead. Four minutes afterwards Lewis from Metcalf scored. The second half was a transformation, Liverpool playing with great élan, simply smothering their opponents. Fog made the game difficult to follow. Bennett scored for Liverpool from a corner after fifth-three minutes play.

January 2, 1918. The Evening Express
Liverpool made an excellent start in the subsidiary competition by defeating their near and dear rivals to the tune of four goals to one. It was a game of the very best type, clever and clean throughout, there not being a single bad foul. The teams were level at half time, Gault with a rattling long drive wide of Campbell, giving Everton a good start with the game only four minutes old, and it was not till the final minute before the interval that Bennett was so able to place Lewis that the latter had only to tap the ball forward to match the half-time score one goal each. But it must be said that this was not a just reflex of the game as Everton had been clearly better served in the half and forward lines and had a great deal more of the play. Campbell being kept much more busy then Fern. However, there was a remarkable transformation in the second half, for within three minutes, Bennett lying on the ground in the goal-mouth, enabled Waine to give the “Reds” the lead. Afterwards Liverpool were a revelation. Every man played with the utmost determination and skill. Four minutes later Lewis, via Metcalfe, notched the third, and Bennett completed Everton’s discomfiture in the match. Where all were so good; it is difficult to single out individuals, but for the winners Longsworth and Jenkinson were in fine form, and Campbell was very safe. McKinlay was in foraging mood, and of great assistance to Scholfield and Lewis. Everton were the more polished in the opening stages, and the forwards were a combined force, always threatening danger. Gault had recovered his old vim, and Clennell and Donanchie were often a source of trouble. Wareing kept a watchful eye on Bennett. Bull and Robinson after a capital commencement were unable to withstand the pressure applied afterwards. Fern had no chance with the shots that beat him. Liverpool can look upon their first win of the year as a happy augury, which may lead to a double championship.

January 4, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Everton will start their games with Blackpool whose soldier spectators always make a special vocal effort on behalf of the Pool when Mersey clubs are visiting, Bloomfield Road. Everton by playing Kirsopp, strengthen their attack where it is most needed, and I can see Everton winning against a robust defenders in the multi-coloured jerseys. Everton; Mitchell; Bull, Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing, Grenyer; Gault, Kirsopp, Wright, Clennell, Donnachie.

January 3, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
The weather though dull and threatening was mild at Blackpool this afternoon and quite a good crowd turned out to welcome the Evertonians, who are so popular here. There was the customary large sprinking of soldiers and their original observations of the play were manful of wit and humour. Everton tried a promising player named Cotter at right half, and the right wing formation was an alteration from last week. Twiss coming in for Murray. The home side showed a number of changes especially in the forward line, but they were reckoned a very serviceable lot. Teams;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Bull and Robinson, backs; Cotter, Wareing (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs; Twiss, Gault, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Blackpool;- Monghan, goal; Dunn and Fairhurst, backs; Thorpe, Keenan, and Booth, half-backs; Williamson, Moorcroft, Ralph, Beel, and Elliott, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.W. Duckworth, Blackburn. Although the start was advertised for 2.30 it was five minutes to three before operations began before 3,000 people. Everton started on a greasy surface and a once dashed down on the left wing where Donnachie centred but Wright missed the pass. There was a second rally on the left, but the ball this time went over and the home forwards made play through, Williamson and Moorcroft. Wareing checked effectively and there was some scrambling work in midfield which proved of little advantage to either side. The visitors eventually progressed through clever work on the part of Clennell but he was knocked of the ball at the finish by Fairhurst. Keenan and Thorpe were jointly successful putting a stop to Wright when the Everton centre was in full flight and when Twiss came through and centred nicely, Wright was adjudged offside. Both sides were now warming to their work and the pace became much faster than before. Blackpool made capital ground on the right, and Grenyer being swept aide. Ralphs put in a magnificent raising shot, which struck the cross-bar.
Gaults Shot Miscarries
The Evertonians promptly replied with a vigorous run on the right wing, and Gault was unfortunate in not being able to get his find shot in. Everton at this time were showing clever football, and pretty passing led to Clennell being put in possession but he was obviously offside when he shot, just outside. This assault paved the way to yet more dangerous inquisitors on the part of the Everton vanguard and after Wareing had tried a long drive, Gault sent in a wonderful shot which was splendidly fielded by the home custodian. The visitors further increased the pressure and Clennell almost succeeded in wriggling his way through being stalled of at the critical juncture at the cost of a corner. Good work by Beel and Ralphs threw the visitors momentarily on the defensive, but it was no long before Wright and his wings were again aggressive. Donnachie sent in an accurate centre, which might have been turned to account had not Fairhurst intervened. Blackpool then went off at top speed on the right, and Beel put in a pretty pass, which Moorcroft duly received and drawing Mitchell out of his goal the Blackpool player netted amidst great cheering. Everton responded gallantly to this reverse, Twiss taking the leather along smartly but he hesitate and when Wright tried to improve matters the Blackpool defenders had bad times to consolidate their position and Dunn cleared the danger. Following upon this there was a lull, and for a time play was distinctly on the taboo side. Blackpool made ground by easy stages and Moorcroft was again well placed when he put over the line.
Clennell Leaves The Field
At the point Clennell had to leave the field owing to an injury and during his chance the home forward made desperate efforts to increase their lead. Moorcroft, Ralphs, and Beel were all dangerous in turn but both Bull and Robinson presented a bold front and subsequently the visitors have their opponents something to think about on the right. Clennell was thrown back again and signaled his return by a brilliant solo effort which was interested just in the nick of time by Fairhurst. Meanwhile Lewis had to step into touch in order to have his knee attended to, and Booth was so badly hurt in the next bully in front of the home goal that he had to be carried off the field. Towards the interval the home vanguards redoubled their attentions to Mitchell, Ralph missed one glorious opportunity of scoring at close range. At the other end the Evertonians were equally remiss first Clennell and then Wright failing to profit from promising openings. Just on half-time Blackpool made a further dash, and Moorcroft put in a fine shot, which Mitchell saved at the expense of a corner.
Half-time; Blackpool 1, Everton 0.
The first half produced some keen and level football and Everton scarcely deserved to be in arrears at the turn. They had enjoyed much more of the attack than their opponents and their foot work was immeasurably clever. Their weakness, however, lay in persistent hesitancy in front of goal. Thus Wright lost at least two golden opportunities and Clennell in spite of ill-luck ought to have got through once. Gault and Twiss made a fairly good wing though the outside man made several rather bad mistakes. The half-backs had not quite the stolidity and initiative to which we are accustomed, though Wareing did a lot of good work and Cotter shaped promisingly. Both backs did well and Mitchell saved some hot shots though he failed lamentably at the one that beat him. The home forwards both vigour and enterprise and to this extent het fully deserved their valuable goal.
The Second Half
Play was resumed after a leisurely interval and in not too good a light. The home forwards were the first to move but they finished tamely on the left and the next move was by Donnachie who put in a characteristic flash only to be beaten at the finish by Fairhurst. A few seconds later the Everton outside left again got down and passed prettily to Clennell, but the latter was obviously lame, and could scarcely raise a gallop, the result being that he was easily dispossessed. It should be mentioned that Bull had been unable to reappear, his injury being a badly wounded ankle. Play for some time was rather poor on both sides but there was a lively interlude when Gault broke through and tried a stinging shot which was very finely saved. At this point Bull came on to the field and was cordially greeted by the sporting crowd. The game improved again and there were numerous passenges at arms, the Everton forwards raining on shots, which were either just wide or were palpably fielded.
Goal Scorers
Moorcroft scored for Blackpool.
• Simpson the Everton full back appeared at Anfield as a guest player for Preston North End.

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 05 January 1918
Two Everton players, Mitchell (goalkeeper) and Jefferis, have been reported to the Football League for refusing to comply with the request of the referee, Mr. J. T. Howcroft. of Bolton, in last Saturday's match Everton v. Preston North End. Doubtful of the light holding out, the referee decided to dispense with interval, and asked the teams to change ends immediately, But Mitchell aud Jefferis disregarded the instruction. The referee has asked the League Committee to define the powers referees under these circumstances.

January 7, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
This is “F.E.B’s view of the lost sustained by Everton by the only goal scored during the game. Everton “ere” distinctly unlucky in being beaten by the only goal scored at Blackpool on Saturday. They enjoyed practically all the play in the and should certainly have scored on three occasions. A set of forwards however clever try to walk the ball through and a good defence such as Blackpool possesses can upset up calculation. That is precisely what inspired on this critical Wright and his wings could do everything but find the net. They display wonderfully footwork only to lose possession at the critical moment. On the other hand there were many genuine chances of hard luck. Twice Twiss hit the woodwork and Clennell showed magnificent class in several of his solo efforts. Still having the whole of the second period in which to accomplish in the Evertonians ought at least to have drawn. From the contest Blackpool showed that they meant business for their terriers of the bustling order, and the half backs nicely supported by Fairhurst on the right not only broke up the Everton advances but relainated. Their goal was the result of good play, Beel swung the leather across the goalmouth and Moorcroft drawing Mitchell out, scored with a swift shot. The visitors as we have said enjoyed nearly all the subsequent passenger, but to no purpose. Neither Bull nor Robinson was too secure at times and the half-backs line scarcely did itself justice though Cotter made had a successful debut. Twiss performed fairly well until hurt and the other four gave individually a characteristic display.

Lancashire Evening Post - Monday 07 January 1918
Blackpool's Unexpected Victory,
Blackpool administered a sharp corrective to Everton on Saturday, and at the same time rose to their best performance of the season. Third in the table, and equipped with a strong side, Everton hardly expected to be checked by opponents who had only won one game since early in October, and the result reminded one of the days when the Blackpool ground was the graveyard of so many so-called certainties. Blackpool won by the only goal scored, and it is a very fine tribute to their defence that should have held in subjection forwards who had averaged over three goals per match, one of whom was their old sharpshooter Clennell, who shares with Bennett the distinction of having scored oftener than any other man in the League. By the way, another old servant of the dub in Thorpe, the Burnley half-back, turned out in this engagement, but the side of Blackpool, thus off-setting the power of Clennell.
The game was a fine one to watch, for Evetton were only mastered with difficulty. They played strong football but found themselves up against a grim and resourceful defence in which Fairhurst shone refulgently.  It is a long time since a back gave such a fine display at Blackpool.  He had too, splendid help, for even though Booth suffered from a mishap prior to the interval the defence never faltered or weakened, and Thorpe’s experience and skill were valuable assets in the smashing up of Everton’s movements. The rearrangement of the home attack, which saw Williamson restored to the left wing and Elliott introduced on the right, answered so well that it is sure to be presevered with, the men working well together. Moorcroft scored the only goal after quarter of an hour’s play, after Ralphs had struck the bar, a feat which Wright repeated at the other end, and the whole line shaped so well that it was a pity it had to be upset by Booth springing his ankle. Moorcroft had to go half-back, with Booth outside right, and handicapped as they were Blackpool did uncommonly well to prevent Everton equalising, though Fairhurst had more than once to fall back to the help of Monaghan. He and Beel were the pick of Blackpool’s regular men, and the latter, who is only in his teens, should come the front when normal football returns. –PROGRESSIVE

January 7, 1918. The Evening Express
The Everton team were unfortunate in being compelled to yield both points to Blackpool at Bloomfield road, on Saturday. Their marksmanship was brilliant and bad by turns; said on the chances that came their way the issue should have been clinched quite early in the game. Changes in the side had probably much to do with unhinging the usual effective working of the team. The right wing was clearly behind the left in point of cleverness, especially during the first portion of the proceedings, when finishing power was poor, but there was an improvement later on, when shots were rained in thick and fast only to find that the best of final touches went astray through sheer ill luck. Most of Everton’s best footwork was exhibited on the left, and with an extra effort from the quarter a different complexion might have been placed upon affairs. Wright was well held in the centre, and though Gault and Twiss did not get along too well together the former was certainly the cleverest forward on view. Half-back play was weakened by the absence of Jefferis who was unable to turn out; still Cotter did not shape badly in his first great trial. Grenyer and Wareing played with all their old resourcefulness, but further behind Bull and Robinson were frequently in difficulties and Mitchell had no chance in the race for possession with Moorcroft. Everton’s side was not well balanced with the result that much that was good was wasted.

January 10, 1918. The Evening Express
With the exception of goal, there are changes in all departments of the Everton team which met with defeat at Blackpool last week for the return encounter on Saturday when it should be noted, the kick-off has been fixed for 3’o’clock. Riley takes the place of Bull at right back, Cotter comes in at right half, while Gault resumes in the centre, while Wright (this paragraph seems to be all right) partners Donnachie. The team chosen is;- Mitchell; Riley and Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, and Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Wright and Donnachie.

January 11, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Newcomers To Walton
Bee’s Notes
Dunn must love Jefferis –perhaps it was the rather irregular refreshing. Whatever it was the fact remains that the game was the poorest seen at our grounds for many a day –yet nine goals were scored, and some of them were gems of purest ray, notably in Gault’s and Wright cases. Those long drives of these two bustling forwards were the saving grace of the day. Moorcroft and Keenan replied effectively but bless your heart, there was some hopeless forward work from the visitors and the inside trio ought to study their shooting ideas and bring them into line with some sort of accuracy.
The New Boys
Riley, at full back, Cotter at half and Pte Bain were the new players tried for the first time at Goodison Park in senior football. Each faced rather well. Riley can head a ball but he is easy going in his approaches to the forwards and this allowed may be shown up more percepably next time he operates. Cotter was quiet but effective, and Bain was just useful being a centre without much sting so far as pace is concerned –a good fault in these days, when some forwards are sacrificing accuracy for pace. Cotter (captain) and Bain have been playing with Kirkdale F.C. The Blackpool half-backs, Keenan was impressive but otherwise there was no real point in the game.

Manchester Evening News - Saturday 12 January 1918
At Goodison Park, in winterly cold weather, Blackpool arrived late.  Everton opened in dashing fashion, the forwards showing some splendid combination.  In five minutes Wright had scored for Everton with a brilliant shot.  Blackpool had a rturn at pressing, but their efforts in front of goal were feeble.  Jefferis forced a corner, which was cleared.  Everton were playing excellent football, Gault, from a free kick forced the visiting goalkeeper to punch the ball away.  From a scrimmage it was returned into the goalmouth, and Fairhurst, on the goal-line, headed clear just in the nick of time.  Blackpool were very easily held for some time, and when Beel got into position he missed a splendid opportunity by placing the ball high over the bar.  At the other end Wareing after tricking several opponents, was also in a good position, but in his case the shot was much too high.  The Blackpool inside forwards had several chances of equalising, but they failed in front of goal.  Donnachie made several nice runs, from one of which Wright had a good opportunity, but he was knocked over just outside the penalty line.  Grenyer took a free kick and Gault, getting possession, scored the second goal for Everton.  The home side were now playing very strongly, and Gault scored a third goal.  A moment later Wright put on a forth and at half-time the score was; Everton four, Blackpool nil. 

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 12 January 1918
Everton, for the first time this season, were without Clennell, who was damaged at Blackpool last week. One or two new players were introduced, Bain being a local, whilst Riley and Cotter, who played last week were kept in their respective positions. The Blackpool side were well represented, and appeared before 12,000 spectators. Teams:— Everton.—Mitchell; Riley, Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyer; Bain, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, Donnachle. Blackpool.—Managhan; Fairhurst, Dunn; Keenan, Ralphs; Williamson, Beel, Thomas, Moorcroft, and Berry. Blackpool were delayed on the way, and a late start was made.  Play opened in favour of Everton and Dunn and Jefferies had several tussels. Pressure on the visiting defence resulted in a corner off Dunn and Wright scored from this after five minutes’ play, Monaghan having little chance of saving.  Jefferis and Gault next tested the Blackpool keeper, and Fairhurst kicked clear off the goal-line. The Seaaidere then took up the running, but they were easily held, and Beel wasted  a chance by shooting over. Everton resumed the attack, and Wareing grazed the bar, whils after Donnachie had made a nice succession of
 dribbles Wright was pitched over inches outside the penalty area. On Blackpool attacking either Moorcroft or Beel should have equalised when nicely placed, but they gave wareing plenty of time to kick clear. Everton continued to press on the whole, and Gault scored a second after half hour’s play, from a fine by Grenyer. Jefferis twice went near, and then Gault increased the lead four minutes after the last goal, while Wright added a fourth after clever forward move by Jefferis. The visitors were mainly on the defensive, their forwards lacking finish. Half-time—Everton 4, Blackpool 0.
On resuming  Blackpool showed up better, and in ten minutes Keenan reduced the margin against the side, while Williamson tried Mitchell severely, and Connor drove in long ahot which the keeper saved- But play on the whole was dull untill Everton wakened up again for Donnaohie to centre to Bain, who scored easy pot. Gault put a sixth from a cdifficult position, and Everton were holding their opponents cheaply. The Everton forwards displayed superior footwork, and Gault scored after 78 minutes play; whilst Moorcroft, a minute later, netted for Blackpool.  ResuIt—EVERTON 7. BLACKPOOL 2.
Notes of the Game
Blackpool had plenty of chances, but they were hopeless in front of goal and their half-backs were better shooters than their forwards.  In addition the game lagged considerably as a result of the foul tactics introduced in the game. 

January 14, 1918. The Evening Express
Everton had a field day from a scoring point of view, and emphasized their lack of luck the previous week by walking round Blackpool to the tune of seven goals to two. It was not a great game to watch and was only saved from mediocrity by the shooting of the forwards, one of Gault’s goals- he scored twice in each half-being a real beauty. Wright scored twice, and his tireless worrying of the opposing defenders makes him an undoubted source of strength. Three new men were on view, Riley of Earlestown, at back being the best of them, though the two Kirkdale youths, Cotter and Bain did fairly well against weak opposition, the latter finding the net. Keenan was the outstanding man on the Blackpool side, but their forwards had no idea of combination, and what few chances came to them were frittered away by bad marksmanship.

Liverpool Echo - Monday 14 January 1918
Bee's Notes
Goals generally make a game. Yet goals failed to make the Everton-Blackpool game a charm.  Perhaps it was the weather.  Perhaps it was the biting actions of certain players -how Dunn must love Jefferis!  -perhaps it was the rather irregular refereeing. Whatever it was the fact remains that the game was the poorest seen at our grounds for many day—yet nine goals were scored, and some of them were of purest ray, notably in Gault and Wright's case?. Those long drives  of these two bustling forwards were the saving grace of the day.  Moorcroft and Keenan replied effectively, but, bless your heart, there was some hopeless forward work from the visitors, and the inside trio ought to study their shooting ideas and bring them into line with some sort of accuracy.
The New Boys.
Riley, at full-back, Cotter, at half, and Pte Bain were the new players tried for first the time at Goodison Park in senior football.  Each fared rather well.  Riley can head a ball, but he is easy-going in his approaches to the forwards, and this slowness may be shown up more perceptibly next time he operates. Cotter was quiet, but effective, and Bain was just useful, being a centrer without much sting so far as pace is concerned—a good fault in these days, when some forwards are sacrilicing accuracy for pace. Cotter (captain) and Bain; have been playing with Kirkdale F.C.  The Blackpool half-back, Keenan, was impressive, but otherwise there was no real point in the game. 

January 15, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Football Scandal
Last night’s last edition of the “Echo” made an exclusive statement regarding the attempt to get Everton footballers to “sell” Saturday’s match with Blackpool. Anew phase in connection with these somewhat oft-recurring scandals can now be made public property. In former times the centerpiece of the plot, a book-maker –club player had been in the habit of offering financial inducement if certain eventualities occurred. Now we find that other methods have been adopted and players are tempted by money payments to pretend they are damaged and retire from a game while others it is stated are exhorted to be “unable to play on Saturday.
The Plot
As early as Tuesday last someone went to Everton’s ground and asked for Fleetwood’s address. He was not told it until he had made his business known. He said, “I am from Rochdale and am joining up and I want to see him before I go” Fleetwood, as most football enthusiasts know was a Rochdale man prior to joining Everton. Also enthusiastic are aware that Fleetwood has been off work and football through a broken arm. I have interviewed Fleetwood than whom the tempter could not have chosen a more unsuitable candidate for attempted bribery, just as the Everton club, with its clean bill in regard to illegal payments, was the worst possible club to consider in such circumstances. However, there is evidence to prove that more than the visit was paid by two men to the ground or the home of Fleetwood, and acting canny Fleetwood asked for a guarantee from the visitors. “The game was to be lost or drawn, said Fleetwood, “and so I got a promise of £20 which duty came to hand, and is still in my possession although I have been asked to give it up by these gentlemen from Manchester.
The Kernel of the Case
On Wednesday next the Oldham-Blackburn case comes up for further inquiry at Manchester and at the meeting a widely known player, who has been linked with the case will be asked to accounts for Saturday’s try-on at Everton.
Chairman’s Statement
Speaking with Mr. W.R. Clayton, the Everton F.C chairman, laugh that the club were told early on of the offer made to one of their players, and later leant that at less two players had been offered bribes. “Mr. Cuff our secretary and I will be represented at the commission tomorrow,” said Mr. Clayton and you can be sure we shall probe the matter to its root. The game is ruined if this sort of thing is to be allowed to grow. Before the match on Saturday our “boys” were told of what had happened, and were asked to put forward their very best endeavour and best Blackpool by as many goals as possible. This they did and won as you know be seven goals to two.
The 7-2 Startler
Of course the fact that a simple-looking fixture like Everton v. Blackpool, at Goodison Park was included in certain coupons would lead most speculators to solidly vote for Everton and therefore we can be assured that the book-making fraternity has been badly bitten by Everton’s solid answer to the request to lose or draw the game. Bee.

January 16, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Tracking Down The Culprits
Bee’s Special
“Hot on the track” is the best description of the latest news regarding football scandal wherein Everton players were tempted to sell their match with Blackpool last week and refused winning handsomely by 7 goals to 2 – all honours to them. The inquiry is due at Manchester today, and doubtless much evidence will be forthcoming. The “Echo” first in telling the public of the attempted “sell” and first again, in giving the whole story of the attempted bribe as now able to state that the evidence obtained is stronger than in former cases –for which many thanks. There is more than on culprit in the affair and wet football’s good name has been sullied in almost every instance by one channel –Manchester –and without doubt the culprits have been the same in each instance. The football player or whoever is at the basis of the scheming could not possibly do these things on his own; he has had a backing and I can promise enthusiasts of the game that club and League and F.A. will strive earnestly to squelch ALL the parties concerned in the fraudulent transmutations. One other word. Documentary evidence is vital in these matters and there is reason to believe that this will be forthcoming to a degree. It is significant that the Everton club were warmed during the week that something dirty had been attempted and moreover, that there was injury per phone on Saturday afternoon regarding the match and “how it was proceeding.”

January 17, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Suspension Does Not End The Case
As the “Echo” stated in last night’s issue George Anderson the Manchester United forward has been suspended for nine die his part in the football scandals concerned in the Everton –Blackpool, Oldham-Blackburn and Manchester –Burnley engagements. Anderson was unable to be present at yesterday’s inquiry; hence the nine die suspension Whether Anderson will care to attend a Commission meeting and explain or argue yesterday’s evidence is very, very doubtful. What is more important, however is the fact that the Football Association and League are not content to let the master rest, and I can state with authority, will ferret the matter still further. As I commented in yesterday’s notes, it is necessary to get at the people who are at present shielded and the authorities are on their track. The cases of the matches mentioned above are not ended by any means and action is taking place to try and bring the matter home to those who are at the head of the machinery by which football’s fair name has been dragged so low. This should and I think well, be brought to bear on these scandals.
I think it is due to the Everton players that we give them and their club and officials high praise for the stand they have taken in the matter. They have refused to be brought and everyone worthy the name of sportsman is glad they frustrated the elements that invaded the city that week on more than two days.
Everton Team at Hyde-road
Everton on Saturday go to Hyde-road and will play this eleven –Mitchell, Joe Smith, (Albion), Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyer; Private Bain, Jefferis, Gault, Wright and Donnachie.
Clennell and Fleetwood are progressing very favourable, Clennell has suffered from strained muscles of the thigh.

January 17, 1918. The Evening Express
Manchester Player Suspended
T. Fleetwood and W.E Gault the two men approached in an endeavored to get the Everton –Blackpool match “squared” have done the game a signal service by their prompt action in reporting the matter to their club, who took it to the authorities. The sequel occurred yesterday, when (as reported in our latest issue last night) George Anderson, the Manchester United forward, was suspended sine die by a joint commission of the F.A. and the League which sat at Manchester but if he choose he is to be allowed an opportunity to explain. The commission were occupied for two and a half hearing evidently will reference to alleged attempts to “square” the matches, Everton v. Blackpool, Oldham v. Blackburn and Manchester United v Burnley.
Local Evidence
In regard to the attempt to “fix” the local match last Saturday, Mr. W.R. Clayton, the chairman and Mr. W.C. Cuff, the secretary of Everton, attended and the latter produced twenty £1 notes, which it was alleged had been handed over to Fleetwood as an inducement. Gault and Fleetwood gave evidence of being first approached last Tuesday. The former was offered £60 to get others along with himself, not to try to win, but he promptly refused pointing out that he would not only be selling himself but also other members of the eleven who were qualifying for benefits. Fleetwood was also approached although his arm –which by the way, is still painful –did not allow him to play. Both men reported the matter to Mr. Cuff and men, acting on instructions and in order to lay a trap, Fleetwood accepted £20 last Friday night to induce some of the men to go off pretending to be injured. He was to receive more if Blackpool won or drew but of course, the Blues won 7-2, Gault getting four.
The Finding
Statements in the other cases were made by Mr. J. Robson (secretary), W.W. Woodcock, T. Silcock, and T. Meechan, Manchester United F.C., and Mr. W. Bracewell (director), representing the Burnley club. George Anderson had been summoned to attend, but Mr. Robson handed in a letter to the effect that he was unable to be present and Mr. Bracewell placed before the Commissioners a letter which Edwards the Burnley forward, had sent to the secretary of the club, stating that he would not be able to leave his work. Ultimately the commissioners issued the following statement; - Sufficient evidence has been produced before George Anderson and which he has had the opportunity of answering to justify the Commission in suspending him, “sine die,” but are not able to dispose of the charge and arrive at a final decision until Anderson has had an opportunity of replying to further material evidence. Anderson is therefore suspended “sine die” from playing or taking part in football. It is probable that the committee will take further action to get at those who were behind Anderson.
Other Football Items
Macconnachie has gone back to his unit, although his arm is still stiff. Clennell’s strained leg is improving. Joe Smith who formerly play with the Goodison team is discharged from the Army, and has been helping his old town club, Hull City for the last few weeks.
The Team
The Everton team has been chosen as follows;- Mitchell; Smith, and Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyner, Bain, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, and Donnachie. It will be noticed that Smith is once more able to resume and that the two Kirkdale boys are to be given a further trial.

January 18, 1918. The Evening Express
Smith, the West Bromwich back will strengthened Everton’s defence against Manchester City at Hyde road tomorrow, but Clennell and Fleetwood are still unfit, so the two Kirkdale recruits, Cotter and Bain, have again been selected. City hope to have a well-balanced side, and the “Blues” will do well to get even one point out of the visit to Cottonopolis. Teams. Everton;- Mitchell; Smith, and Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyner, Bain, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, and Donnachie. Manchester City; Goodchild; Sugden, Fletcher; Hughes, Tyrer, Fairclough; Meredith, Thompson, Lomax, Cunningham, Watson.

January 18, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Joe Smith’s return to full-back division means a needed stiffening of the Everton defence, and it is good he is playing, as Meredith and the rather diminutive forwards alongside him are nippy and want some catching. Can Everton break down City’s defence? That is the real problem and somehow I can’t see it. Teams. Everton;- Mitchell; Smith, and Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyner, Bain, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, and Donnachie. Manchester City; Goodchild; Sugden, Fletcher; Hughes, Tyrer, Fairclough; Meredith, Thompson, Lomax, Cunningham, Watson.

Manchester Evening News - Saturday 19 January 1918
Critical Match at Hyde Road
Two Strong Teams Out
City Well Beaten
Thankful for small mercles in those days of inelements weather, Manchester City congratulted themselves on the fact that the rain which fell so pitlessly this morning ceased an hour or so before the time the critical match with their rivals Everton was played at Hyde Road this afternoon.  Even so, the weather was most uninviting, and it was surprising under the circumstances to find as many as 12,000 spectators gathered together when the game began.  It was even more surprising to see how wonderfully the ground had recovered from the effects of the recent variegated weather.  The surface was soft and greasy, but there was not a suspicion of a pool of water such as used to be found in the old days before the ground was scientifically drained.  It was an evidence of the importance attached to the game that both teams turned out as selected, with the exception that Clennell took the place of Bain in the visitors' side. 
There was more mist than wind when the game began.  City were the first to find their feet, and they atatcked three or four times in quick succession with great resolution, but good as ther efforts were they found themselves up against a resolute side, and all they got was an unproductive corner.  The visitors began to assert themselves, but in turn they found the home defence quite to the occasion, and Goodchild's charge was not in jeopardy until Donnachie sent to the centre forward, who put in an oblique shot, which Goodchild dealt with in characteristic fashion. 
City had been slightly the better side, and the two Welsh Internationals, Meredith and Hughes, had distinguished themselves in some lusty football when, at the expiration of a quarter of an hour. Clennell got away on the visitors right wing and put in a centre which cried out for consideration.  Wright got his head to the ball, and a goal seemed inevitable, but Goodchild sent the ball out in wonderful fashion. Anything like a complete clearance was beyond him, and the ball going back to Wright, It was forced into the net. For some minutes afterwards Everton were clearly the superior side, and only Goodchild saved City from a second goal, the custodian making a magnificent save from Gault, whose point-blank shot was diverted over the bar by a right-hand punch worthy of Hilman himself.  Goodchild also gathered a long-distance shot from Donnachie. Everton continued their pressure, and Donnachie taking a corner kick, screwed the ball into the net, but as a second player had not touched the ball no goal was allowed.
At last, to the relief of the home supporters, City opened out the play, and Meredith, seeking to clinch matters on his own, darted forward and made one of his most characteristic efforts to score. Unfortunately his cross and shot was foot too wide.
Recovery from the shock at this narrow escape the visitors, playing wonderfully fast and accurate football, easily made another onslaught on the home goal, and misunderstanding between the backs gave Gault the opportunity of lobbing in shot which Goodchild allowed to pass over his head into the net, thus giving the visitors a lead of two goals after twenty-seven minutes. Until the interval there was nothing much choose between the teams, and the only outstanding bits of play were fine efforts first Meredith and then by Clennell.
Half-time: Everton 2, City 0.
Crossing over without an interval the teams went at it "hammer and tongs" as soon play was resumed, the game going all in favour of City, who subjected their opponents goal with a terrific bombardment.  For a while it was a duel between Lomas and Mitchell, and though the custodian made one or two remarkably fine saves he was squarely beaten by the home centre-forward from short range, but much to the disgust of the home supporters the referee disallowed the goal.
City kept up an almost continuous pressure, under which several of the Everton players showed signs of fading away, but they could do everything except score.  At the same time credit is due Mitchell, who made another masterly save, this time from Watson.
There was no slacking on the part of the home team, but their chief deficiency was a lack of understanding between the inside men. Still, Lomas's thrustful effort deserved rewarded, and it was a moot point whether the referee ought not to have given penalty against Waring when it was strongly appealed for.
The very flattering efforts of the home team gradually died away, and though Everton were mainly concerned to keep their lead they looked quite as likely score the home side. For some time before the close the fast pace at which the game had been began to tell most of the players, and the closing stages were uninteresting. Manchester City 0, Everton 2

January 19, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Somebody was asking the other day if Archie Goodall ever figured in an old-gold jersey. The answer is “Yes” he did. The period was 1905-06 the season the Wolves lost their position in Division 1. Goodall turned out that winter for Baddeley’s team in a number of matches, and actually figured at inside right against his first love, Everton, who visited Molinuex ground and won 5-2. That match represented Goodall’s ringing down of a notable and varied career in First Division Football, and his curious that he should have begin with Everton and ended his innings against the self-same club. In that particularly match Everton introduced their southern, Hill, at right-back, in place of R. Balmer, who crossed over, Crelley dropping out. Hill, you may recall, caught the local eye, powerfully in Everton’s practice matches, that year. He was not unlike Macconnachie in appearance. Hill made quite a useful League debut and the following season “made good” with Manchester City to whom he was transferred for £600 we believe. Bu Everton’s star turn in the Archie Goodall-Wolve snatch referred to was beyond all doubt John Sharp. He had another Lancashire county cricket –Makepeace as his inside partner and didn’t’ this pair of speed merchants make things hum against Jones and Beddeley. The great little Baddeley was placed in dire straits and Sandy Young and others had little difficulty in “nodding” several goals. It is doubtful if Sharp ever had a better season personality than this campaign of 1905-06, his crowning “performance” being when he scored five goals in succession for Everton. How so, you may ask? Bu did not Sharp in the Booth-Taylor benefit match score the last two Everton goals v. Aston Villa and a week later scored all the three for his side against Sheffield United. Hence his five successive goals for Everton! Nor must we forget that 1905-06 was Everton’s Cup conquering season in the final of which Sharp came but as the star performer of the whole twenty two while settling recollect included eighteen performers of international caliber.

January 19, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
“Tim” Coleman the well-known footballer writes me; - Just a few lines to let you know we are still carrying on the good work in this ideal spot. We are having a few days out, and we are anticipating a match or two shortly. The draw has already been made, but I believe they have stimulated that the battalion plays its “B” team. Of course that is what the professionals team “The Minstrels.” We can put a really good team in the field even at that, and I think the lads will again pull it off. Have just seen a postcard from Joe Mercer (Notts Forest) and he says he is quite all right but as he says he is “not a camel and couldn’t carry nought to last him a long time.” He finds the drinking regulations a little bit off. I also heard from Nixon of Fulham who writes saying he is now all right, but could do with a few woolen articles as he has practically only what he was captured in. I believe some of our lads are trying to do something. Still, if any of your readers would like to send some thing I will send you his address. We have had an additional arrival this week in the great “Sir” –otherwise Jack, of Liverpool –and would you believe it he is now a Lance corporal. They are going to make him O.C hospitals, as has been to nearly every one. He said he was with Alf West who is down at the base tying to imitate Will Evans in the light porter seene. We look like having a quiet time for some time as the winter set in. Kind regards to you and all my Liverpool friends. From your old pal. TIM.

January 19, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
By Vin
Without “airing” matters too much it may at once be said of Everton, though the medium of James Thomson, the poet, that “their linen was not always very clean. A decade and half ago there took place at Goodison the alleged “squared” match with Blackburn Rovers, who were dangerously near the precipice overlooking the Second Division that Eastertide. Everton lost “with ease” –Bank Holiday “ease” almost akin to that of the 25,000 bystanding. As the resultant inquiry Everton were duly cautioned.
The mention of pence and “recom-pense” recalls an interesting account of the first benefit match ever played at Goodison Park –that accorded to Alec Latta the Everton and Scottish international outside right, who in those days works in the Birkenhead shipyards. It was played on Tuesday, April 18, 1893 in the presence of 16,000 spectators says the writer of “Goodison Notes” of that period. Although Celtic came without several of their best players (the most notable absentee being Doyle) a splendid game was the result, especially as it added in a win for us by 2-1. As soon as the game commenced Latta (as if in token of the occasion) treated the spectators to a magnificent bit of football. At half-time some little amusement was secured by the dame (picture Mother Noblett with her basket) who sells toffees, boldly scrambling on the field and pursuing Latta with a double ended “benefit” packet. He good naturedly took it and shook hands with her. Jack Bell scored Everton’s winning goal –his first for the club –and for a recruit showed great promise. The writer proceeds –The match was a great success and Latta will benefit to the extent of about £270 –a record –which will prove a valuable addition to the nest egg that he has made. Latta joined Everton in 1889 being then in his 22nd year. During the four seasons he has played for Everton he has always been an important factor in their big victories. He is a non-smoker liquertaker quiet, and unassuming and one of the most gentlemanly players that ever toed a ball. It has been said that if all footballers upheld their committees like Latta does his the management of big clubs would be as easy again as it is now.

January 19, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Visit To The Hyde-Road Ground
F.E.H’s Special
The meeting of Everton and Blackpool will be ever memorable because those who tried to buy the players and sell the public were very much told, thanks to the sporting instincts of the Everton players. Today Everton with their 7-2 victory in their minds eye hoped to further victory, but recognized the difficulty of their task as they were visiting the Manchester City ground. Everton had Joe Smith in their selected team, otherwise there was little chance from recent sides. After a more or less rapid journey, packed the herrings in a barrel, we found Manchester as usual bathed in a mist of tears. The afternoon, indeed, was about as dismal as one could conceive yet in spite of the muddy street and general discomfort a large crowd turned out to witness what promised to be a great game. Everton had to reshuffle their forward line somewhat, Clennell figuring at outside right, but the team generally was well-balanced when it lined out as follows;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Joe Smith and Robinson, backs; Cotter, Wareing (captain) and Grenyer, half-backs; Clennell, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, and Donnachie, forwards. Manchester City; Goodchild, goal; Sugden and Fletcher, goal; Hughes, Tyer, and Fairclough, half-backs; Meredith, Thompson, Lomas, Cunningham and Watson, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Chusside, of Bolton. It will be noticed that there was only one alteration on the home side, Cunningham coming in for Barnes. The ground was fearfully heavy and greasy when a late start was made at a quarter past three before fully 12,000 people. Everton kicked off in an over-increasing mist and after the prelimary canter Meredith got down strongly on the right and forced a corner. This was nicely placed, and there was an exciting bully in front of Mitchell before the danger was eventually cleared. Grenyer tried to remove the scene of operations but the home right wing were almost immediately on the job again, and Meredith put in another of his wonderful centres. This was well intercepted by Smith and Cotter feeding his forwards smartly put the Everton right on the move, but Clennell was ruled offside just as he was steadying himself to shoot. Considering the treacherous state of the surface the pace was wonderfully feet, and we had thrill upon thrill. Donnachie on one occasion go away upon the wing and got in a glorious oblique shot which was well fielded. Clennell and Jefferis were next in the picture with a pretty piece of footwork, but Fletcher proved a stumbling-block, and the City forwards advanced this time on the left where Watson was well placed when he lost possession. As the contest progressed the Everton half back proceeded to take a strong hand in the game, and both Jefferis and Clennell were given opening’s only to lose then at the critical moment.
How Wright Scored
The City replied through Meredith, who ran through like the wind, but he was promptly pulled up by Robinson with rather more force than politeness. Good work by the visiting halves put the Everton vanguard once more in the aggressive mood, and this time a splendid concerted movements met with deserved success. Clennell beating both Fairclough and Fletcher swung the ball into the goalmouth. Godchild got to it but failed to clear, and Wright nipping in scored at close range. Many of the home supporters claimed that the goal was offside, but the referee apparently had no doubt about its legitimacy. Fortunately the home keeper was in top hole form, for he safely disposed of all these solo efforts. Eventually the home side made ground on the right and Meredith put the leather clean across to Watson, but the latter milled the chance badly.
Gault Improves Outlook
It was not long before Gault and company were again on the move and a corner kick, forced on the left led to the ball being rotted, but unfortunately for the City it did not touch anyone. A spasmodic break away by Thompson and Lomas was well checked, and Everton were awarded a free kick close to the centre line on the left. This was finely placed, and Gault lofted the ball over Goodchild’s arms into the net, Just underneath the bar. This was an altogether admirable goal, and the home wide made strenuous efforts as the interval approached to make up some of the leeway. Lomas and the two inside men came through promising, but their final effort faded away to nothing. Just before half time Everton came through twice and again tested Goodchild but he was able to clear.
Half-time; Everton 2, Manchester City 0
The Evertonians fully deserved their lead at the change of ends. After starting rather slowly they gradually settled down to superior football and alone in every department. Gault and his wings were much quicker on the ball than their opponents while the half-backs opened out the game with much greatest effectiveness. Gault kept his wings together with great skill, and Clennell in his new position covered himself with glory. He and Meredith were the most dangerous forwards on the field. Donnachie once or twice gave us a taste of his quality and all the halves as I have already indicated did well. Both Smith and Robinson proved sound defenders. Manchester after opening well fell away considerably, and it was only the right wing that was even really dangerous.
The Second Half
There were quite 15,000 people on the ground when the players turned round. The light was very bad and it was frequently difficult to follow the flight of the ball. The City again made the running and in the first few minutes Cunningham put in a fast raking shot, which Mitchell just succeeded in clearing. They returned almost immediately and the time Lomas had a rare opportunity of scoring which he missed. Nevertheless the home forward kept pegging away in the most trustful fashion and after Mitchell had again saved from Cunningham. Thompson seized on the ball and netted but was ruled offside. This decision caused loud hooting among a section of the spectators and it was followed by stimulating cheers when the Manchester forwards returned to the assault with dogged resistance. Half a dozen shots were put in rapid succession but not one of them was destined to find its mark. The succeeding and closing stages of the struggle were tremendously exciting.
Goal Scorers
Wright scored for Everton
Gault scored a second for Everton

January 21, 1918. The Evening Express
The Everton team played the only game that could be profitable under the existing conditions. The heavy turf was all against close play, and while the City men clung tenaciously to the short passing game almost from beginning to end, the Evertonians swung the ball about, and by alert following up demonstrated that the adoption of such methods was alone likely to prove successful. They accomplished their object in unmistaken able fashion, and moreover were thoroughly deserving of victory though they were occasions when several rulings of a doubtful nature went their way, writes “Rovers.” They prevailed by two clear goals the first by Wright following upon a great effort by Clennell and the second by Gault from a free kick. There was a protest for offside in the first instance, but this was not upheld, and again in the second half an appeal for handling in the penalty area against one of the Everton defenders was ruled out. It was a daring experiment of disturb the partnership of Donnachie and Clennell by transferring the latter to the extreme right, but as matters eventuated the inside left, after he had once got his bearings, played a faultless game in his unaccustomed position, while Wright who filled his post co elaborated with Donnachie in successful fashion. The whole of the forward played sound profitable football and were ably supported by the half-backs among whom it is pleasing to record that Cotter showed further improvement and completed a trio that compared more than favorably with the half-back line that represented the home club. Defence, too, was sound, and while Mitchell gave one of his best displays one could not fail to observe the excellent judgment displayed by Smith. His anticipation and interventions of opposing movements were invariably correct, and in the early stages when matters were going none too well for his side, his work was the embodiment of artistry.

January 21, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Special
Herein a chapter on Everton’s victory, written by F.E.H.”-
Everton treated the Mancounians to a wholly admirable display of football at Hyde-road, and gained a well-deserved victory over the powerful City team. Considering the condition of the playing pitch, the game was exceptionally fast, and there were occasions when excitement ran dangerously high. The referee more than once was far home happy in his ruling and this greatly angered section of the crowd. However quite apart from the this, Everton were always the superior side and fully merited the spoils of war. For once in a way the forwards finely served by the half-backs adapted themselves to the prevailing conditions. They opened the game out swinging the leather about and across with lusty freedom and rarely hesitated to shoot when opportunity offered. The City players on the other hand, attempted the close passing method –a policy which proved their undoing. Beginning slowly, the Evertonians gradually increased the pace, and it was not long before they began to dominate the game. The first goal was the result of a sustained attack on Goodchild. Wright nettling close up after the home keeper had partially cleared. This led to further continued pressure and following upon a free kick in midfield Gault got in a neatly –directed effort which passed beneath the bar. The City rallied strongly in the second period but Everton were quite content to hold their lead, and thus they did most effectively at the close. Everton’s re-arranged forward line gave an excellent account of itself. Clennell was particularly prominent at outside right, while the other four all fell happily into combination. The halves played both constructive and destructive football and both backs were sound. The old warhouse Meredith was the most conspicuous of the City forwards. For the rest the home team were below their customary cleverness.

January 22, 1918. The Evening Express
The death was announced yesterday of David Kennedy Russell, known in all football history as Dave Russell, who was centre half in the most famous team of all time, the Preston North End “Invincible” who between 1884 and 1890 revolutionized football, and created a record such as has not been equaled since. Russell was the first Scotsman who ever played for the Lancashire Association in a county match, as he appeared for that body against Nottinghamshire on December 19, 1885 when the Midland men won by 4-3. He also assisted Lancashire against Belfast and District and twice played with Preston in the Final Tie for the English Cup. After leaving North End David Russell joined Nottingham Forest and because the centre half-half and captain in the days of Sandy Higgins (the father of the Newcastle United player). Neil McCallum the Renton marvel and Adam Scott, the great little back from Coatbridge. Still later in his career he was identified with Ardwick and finally gave vent to his nature as a comedian on the music hall stage. Russell went into football early in life, and was only 20 when he went to Preston, and was in his 56th year at the time of his death. He was found dead in bed at his lodgings at Stewarton, Ayrshire of which town he was a native, and where he had been following his occupation of a painter.

January 22, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
In Saturday’s Football Echo” “Vin” recalled other times and other manners. He spoke of the visit of Blackburn Rovers to the Everton ground, a match that had a Second Division charging and led to Mr. Wolmsley to point out if Blackburn malted of Grimsby were during the following season. In the senior circles. Mr. W.R Clayton anxious to prevent anything like a “The down” and having got to hear what had happened spoke to the Everton players as was the case last Saturday week explain them to win. Further Clayton wanted his club to report the matter to the Association, the finding of the Commission that Everton being cautioned for not reporting the series looking rather curious in visit of Mr. Clayton’s attitude. “Vin” said “Everton were cautioned” but I want to make it quite clear that the club was cautioned for not reporting the matter.

January 23, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
The Saturday starting at 3.15 mark you, Everton receive Manchester City, and will play exactly the same side that defeated City so cleverly. The eleven -; Mitchell; Smith, Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyer; Clennell, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, Donnachie.
Thompson the full back, yesterday went under an operation for knee trouble that has bothered him for many weeks.

January 23, 1918. The Evening Express
The Everton directors have very wisely decided to let the good work go on; in other words, the eleven which surprised Manchester City so much last week has again been chosen to do duty against the Citizens at Goodison Park. Intending spectators –and there will be thousands –should note that the time of kick-off is 3.15 p.m, very handy for munitions workers, finishing at one o’clock, and with such an attractive game the Blues should be shouted on by plenty of supports. Cotter, the Kirkdale captain will again be at right half with Clennell figuring for the first time locally at outside right, a position in which he made a successful debut on Saturday. The chosen team is; Mitchell; Smith, Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyer; Clennell, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, Donnachie.
Behind the Scenes
In further reference to the recent attempts at bribery a “Sporting Chronicle” writer says;-
There is no reasonable doubt that more than one person is concerned in these affairs. It is rumoured that these efforts were made on behalf of book makers who carry on a large business with their headquarters in the British Isles. I place the matter thus because the offices of this firm are not in England. There is no doubt whatever that there are several “unseen hands.” This is why I have argued that bookmakers –of a certain type –are behind the scenes and getting the marionettes to dance accordingly. It is a disguising state of affairs. The “squaring” of a match has nothing whatever to do with sport. It is the very negation of it. The one entirely satisfactory feature is that the players who were approached by somebody =because Anderson was not the only man – at once gave the alarm and rendered every assistance. Their integrity and promptitude will not be forgotten.
In agreeing with the writer, I should personally like to express the hope that Fleetwood and Gault will receive some tangible recognition of the signal service they have rendered the game. The F.A. in their efforts to get to the bottom of this sorry business, have been greatly helped by the two Everton cracks, and this should be remembered.

January 25, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton showed up their best for last Saturday. That was a pity because their thousands of followers have believed in the side and have in recent times been rather disappointed through their exhibition. There is nothing worse to watch then a team of “paper which does not live up to its form. But Everton have suffered in many ways through accident and loss of men for the Army’s gain and, moreover the defence has been upon about through the absence of Bob Thompson. You cannot lost a Thompson-Maconnachie pairing without feeling the draught Joe Smith’s presence stiffens the side tremendously and this was shown last week at Hyde-road when Everton won quite a noteworthy victory against Billy Meredith’s side. Tomorrow is the return packes and Everton have only to reproduce last week’s form to send their followers into ecstasies. Clennell’s appearance at outside right is but one of the many features that tend to draw a very big gate to Goodison Park tomorrow. Team; Mitchell; Smith, Robinson; Cotter, Wareing, Grenyer; Clennell, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, Donnachie.

Manchester Evening News - Saturday 26 January 1918
The Visitors Make Changes.
On last Saturday’s form Manchester City had small chance at Goodison Park, this afternoon, of reversing the result arrived at when they encountered Everton at Hyde Road. The defence remained unchanged, but the forward line strengthened by the Inclusion Moses, who has been out of the team since he met with his accident last October and Private James, a League player repute. Watson failed to turn out, and his place was taken by Cope, who played very well at Blackburn. Everton played the team successful a week ago.
The attractiveness of the match and the fine though dull weather served to bring a crowd of 15,000 spectators together to see the start, and this number was rapidly added to. City played in white jerseys faced with blue.  There was very little wind when the game began only a couple of minutes late. The visitors opened in most promising fashion without able call upon Mitchell, and for a while had the better of the exchanges, chiefly owing to the men right wing. Twice Everton tried to force their way to the other end, but each time Fletcher intervened.  City returned to the attack, James put the ball out to Cope, who got past Smith and centred to Lomas, who was only just prevented from getting in shot at close quarters. Meredith then tried, his shot striking the side net with the Everton goal well covered.
Again the home team tried to open out the game. It was all in vain. Fletcher being the chief stumbling bloc.  Gault did try a' shot, only to send wide, and then 'Wright was penalised for handling, the free kick enabling City to make another raid, which resulted in a corner. The ball was headed wide from the flag kick. Everton began to bestir themselves. By the aid of wide and accurate passing they closed in, and following a centre by Donnaohie, Clennell put in the first dangerous shot, which Fletcher headed out. The same player brought the attack to a close by shooting over. Faulty play on the part of the City defenders resulted in Goodchild conceding a corner. This came nothing, Clennell sending high over, Everton continued to apply pressure and were awarded a free kick a few yards outside the penalty area. Clennell's shot was charged down, and the ball going back to him he shot wide. The same player made fine effort only to send against the side net.
Determined to be in the picture, Clennell was responsible for Goodchild having to concede three coiners in quick succession. Fortunately, the visitors custodian was equal to every demand, twice saving brilliantly under the bar. In making their clearances and passes the City players, both fore and aft, gave their opponents too many free kicks, with the result that the Everton defenders had a comparatively easy time of it.  As a consequence Mitchell had become a spectator.
When the game had been in progress nearly half an hour Meredith and Robinson collided, their heads coming together, but they soon recovered. City took up the running again, and all they got was a corner from which Cope placed the ball badly. Anywhere near goal City were most disappointing; on the other hand Everton always looked like scoring. Gault took full advantage of splendid opening, and would have scored had not the ball struck the angle of the goal. A freshening breeze helped City, but Mitchell had little to until James passed out to Cope, who lobbed the ball for custodian to catch in skilful fashion. Everton tried again and took another free kick, of which Clennell made poor use.  A fine run and centre by Meredith came to nothing, and half-time neither side had scored.
Twenty thousand people were present when the game resumed. With the wind in their favour Everton found it difficult to make headway against the visitors' resolute defence, but when City made their first advance they got a corner only to throw it away, Cope sending behind. The visitors continued to be conspicuous for their failures In front of goal Moses failing to convert a centre by Lomas when a goal seemed certain.
A still better chance was lost when James slipped the ball forward for Lomas, and that player racing down had no one to beat but Mitchell. The custodian then came out to meet the City forward, who shot straight at him, and Mitchell effected a grand save amidst cheers. Greatly improved form was being displayed the visitors.
City’s superiority became more pronounced, and again Lomas ought have scored, this time from Meredith’s centre. Midway through the second half, Fletcher made his first mistake, and Clennell would have scored but for a timely save by Goodchild. From a corner Everton nearly scored. Goodchild misfisted the ball, which was passing into the net when Fletcher kicked away. It was a thrilling incident.

January 26, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
E.A Williams writes;-
“I read a short time ago in the F.E a reference to famous left wings. I think a good many old readers would like to have recalled to them a local left wing that nearly became famous, namely that of Farmer and Costley, who played for Everton in the old Anfield days. Farmer was already famous and Tommy Costley (son of a former Blackburn Olympic player) was on the high road to fame when he prematurely dropped out of football. Yes, Farmer was an artist at the game and a great favourite to boot. He ranks too, along with George Dobson as one of Everton’s first two professionals. He was rare inside man who could be relied upon to get the best out of his mobile partner Costley. But that was thirty years ago!
Nick Ross
The death of Dave Russell , the famous Preston North End centre half of over a quarter of a century ago, removes one more link of a mighty past. One by one the members of that dazzling Prestonians band of football conjurors are crossing life’s goal line and the names of such as “Nick” Ross” Jimmy” Fred Dewhurst, George Drummond and now Russell will remain but a memory, yet ever bright and refreshing. The greatest of these was undoubtedly N.J. Ross, who was more of a “demon” player than his thus-dubbed brother Jimmy Ross (or Ross Junior, as many called him). The veteran followers of the game, for instance will never forget the grim struggles that were wont to take place on local cock pits between Nichols John Ross and Alec Latta. The writer too, had vivid recollections of the almost merciless manner in which this great back treated Everton’s attackers at Brammell lane, Sheffield in a replayed English Cup semi-final in the nineties. A great football writer in describing Ross has said;- A wiry man of 5ft 9ins and weighting 11st 7lb, he was remarkably bosom, and while he could run like a deer, he could tackle with the fierceness of a tiger. He gloried in difficulties, but had a deep-rooted and possibly a very human objection to being on the losing side. In the North End v Everton match already referred to Ross was described as the very incarnation of a demon full back. After the battle was over that day the players and followers of both sides in due course found their way to the railway station to await their return trains. Ross was soon recognized on the platform by the Everton contingent and was accorded a decidedly “warm” send off. But he merely looked on semi-amusedly =showing his teeth, however, the while in his usual British bulldog fashion. That was in the spring of 93 and Ross physically looked a picture and a giant, but in less than twelve months his playing career had closed. A dread lung complains had stolen in almost unseen, through his defence and despite a trip to Madeira the greatest back all time breathed his last at his Preston home in the summer of 94.

January 26, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
By Vin
The League while they were about it might have spread the recognition further, Everton’s able office-bearer Mr. W.C. Cuff, must have almost a quarter of a century’s devoted service –seventeen years as reins-holder to his credit. Honour bright,” to quite a topical “oath” not a few Merseysiders were rather disappointed than his “majority” was allowed to pass unnoticed, unhonoured and unsung by the richest club in the land. But old time Evertonians who can retrospect “some” say the solicitor secretary’s services to football are beyond recognition. He is Goodison’s professor” deny him who will and no gift or representation could be commence with the value of his share in making Everton’s history so eventual. In day’s gone by the League too might have taken cognizance of the late Mr. Tom Watson’s distinction and devoted career as football’ secretary with Newcastle West End, Sunderland in the team of all the talents epoch and Liverpool with whom his name will be ever undeniably associated. “Tom was indeed’s “rara avis.” Moreover it is passing strange that the Everton and Liverpool Clubs should have failed to confer some sort of football Distinguished Order on gentlemen like Dr. Baxter, Dr. Whitford, Mr. Danny Kirkwood, Mr. Bainbridge, and Mr. McKenna. The purchase of the brickfield at Goodison proved the foundations of Everton’s greatness –a King Midas touch. Active participation in this, the greatest football ground deal on record, should alone entitle Dr. Baxter to a permanent seat on the board.
Last week I passed a few comments on the alleged “squared” match between Everton and Blackburn Rovers played at Goodison one fine Easter Monday in the din long ago and stated in “Vin” serving language that “Everton were cautioned.” Everton’s chairman Mr. W.R. Clayton complains that the statement is a misjudgment. He says that Everton were not duly cautioned for attempting to lose a game, but that they were cautioned for not reporting the matter.
Everton v Glasgow Rangers (1886-7 season at Anfield, Rangers were given a walk-over, the match being played as a friendly on account of Everton’s inability to turn out an eligible team. (Players from Scotland and Wales were at the time required to have a two years residential qualification before they became pros. Rangers were subsequently knocked out of the competition by Aston Villa in the semi-final at Crewe Alexandra –then a famous football ground.
Everton v Bolton Wanderers (1887-88) at Anfield. Everton won after three attempts and were then disqualified for playing ineligible me. Their Ground (Anfield) was close for one month and a number of their players were suspended the charge against Everton being veiled Professionalizes.
A friend reminds us that a Middleton –Kirkwood at Manchester resulted in the transfer of Joe Clennell from Blackburn to Everton. The debit of the well-known inside left –and outside right of Saturday last –was rather sensational. Soon after the kick off with the first flick of the ball he beat Sam Hardy (Aston Villa) in the upper deck goal; since when he has scored many goals.

January 26, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
The Goodison Park Plan
Today we welcome the first conquerors of Manchester City at Hyde-road this season. Everton played “great stuff” according to those who saw them last week, as Hyde-road and with Clennell at outside right, Joe Smith in defence, and Merdith, Fletcher, and other City “personals” in the team sheets, it was not surprising that the crowd was above the ordinary. These were the teams. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith and Robinson, backs; Cotter, Wareing and Greyner, half-backs; Clennell, Jefferis, Gaults, Wright and Donnachie, forwards. Manchester City; Goodchild, goal; Bugden and Fletcher, backs Hughes, Tyler and Fairclough, half-backs; Meredith, Lomas, Moses, James, and Cooper, forwards.
City started and there were many open movements which came to nought in the first few minutes. Gault was vexed with himself because he missed a reasonable chance of scoring. City had just such another chance, and it looked as if a small beginning would have a large result. The small beginning was an attempt by Clennell to open out the game. The ball hit the referee, thus turning the whole course of the play. Away went the City left with a well-formed line. When the ball came to the right young Robinson exeriscised all his powers to prevent the right wing scoring. Meredith eventually screwed wide, which, as you know is not a habit of his.
City’s Staunch Defence
For a full quarter-of-an-hour Everton played pretty football and it was all creditable to the City’s defence that they did not yield a goal. There was any amount of dash and sting shown by the whole side; corners came in quick succession. In most cases the extreme wingers opened out the way for their comrades. Goodchild had some very tricky stuff to attend so. For instance Donnachie crossed the ball to Clennell whose shot was forced out by Fletcher’s head the rebound being taken by Wareing and Goodchild shinning in the save that followed. Again Donnachie was the provider for Clennell, who did not make a good attempt when he tried to score with his left foot. Donnachie came again with centres which first Jefferis and then Gault tried to nod to goal. Grenyer joined into the company of shooters and went quite close with a long one. A free kick against the City kept their defence hard at it. Clennell being very near with a hot drive, Gault by a totally different method –he trickily carried the ball with him in a solo run –should have made certain of he had elected to pass instead of shooting at a wretched angle. Clennell’s corner kick were invaluable, especially when allied to Grenyer’s reach and capacity for leading.
A Great Goal Remembered
The nearest approach to a score was when Gault tried a swinger the ball crashing against the cross-bar. It called to memory the great goal at Anfield at Christmas time. It was bad luck for Everton and Gault. Although Clennell from the touch-line forced Goodchild to tip the ball over the bar, City all at once showed improved form and Mitchell had to bestir himself when Moses was handy; following a Meredithian centre. Meredith in spite of a collision with Robinson –both players were injured through the knockout –put in some telling work, despite the way he was carefully watched. He still centred accurately and created a lot of danger by his wise judgment in the master of pace and centres.
Half-Time; Everton 0, Manchester City 0.
Nothing Doing
The curiously of the score board on the ground was the fact that in ten matches there were 16 noughts. It was a case of nothing doing. The players took a fair time to settle down after their ten minutes interval. By-the-way Mr. Howcroft’s case on the interval topic has left to a new phase of football, some players want to proceed straight away, and others to go off which leads to arguments and delays. After Taylor has wasted a ball through an custodian long shot the City were very dangerous and it was good luck and not good defence that prevented them from scoring through Moses and Lomas. City broke away and Lomas seemed all over a scorer, when Mitchell picked the ball up in a cool manner. It was a masterly stroke and put courage into some of the Everton men. The home right-wing about this time was having a lean period. Many people through the ball was over the line. The referee had no view of the incident, as he was crowded out by a crush of players. Clennell could get no nearer the goal than to screw wide and later put the ball just over the bar. The goalkeeper were not having a lot to do, but the game kept up its high standard and there was plenty to excite, never more emphatically then when from Donnachie’s corner, Everton seemed to have the ball over the line. Fletcher kicked away.

January 28, 1918 Evening Express
Last week Everton visited Manchester City expecting to be beaten, and won by two clear goals. So far the return match at Goodison Park, Everton seemed a cert especially when it was remembered that by securing both points they would have more than an outside chance of the championship, but the result was a goalless draw. Everton were unlucky in that a fast rising ball from Gault which hit the bottom of the crossbar came back into play instead of glancing into the net in the first half, during which they were much the better side. Regarding the players, Mitchell made many smart saves, nipping out judiciously on occasion to anticipate long passes. Robinson was the best on the field. Time after time he pulled up Billy Meredith –a veteran, certainly but by no means a spent force yet – and once they collided very heavily, both being knocked out, but were able to resume Smith was also in form. The halves were heavily worked, and as a consequence Cotter after a good beginning faded out in the second half, but Grenyer looked after the opposing wing, and Wareing was a powerful factor, serving the ball up to his forwards where it would be most useful and breaking up many attacks.

January 28, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Show me the man in the game who says that when Fletcher kicked the ball from the goal-line the ball was over the line and I will show you a man who has not studied angles. The referee was in no way placed to judgment on the point because his view was blotted out by a crowd of players. Luck- if Everton failed to grab any at this point of controversy –levels itself up, and a team makes it owns luck, I think, so saying we will pass on and call the brilliant nippy display of Smith and Robinson –both deserve special mention as also Mitchell for an cool, safe clearance when all seemed over. Another miracle worker was Wareing, who took the ball from off the boot of Lomas.
The fact was that Everton after a splendid first half fell away, it seemed to be a maze in the second half, yet his first half’s exhibition had been all that one could desire. Then the Everton forwards were backwards. They would insist on dribbling Gault who has developed some original lines, would have made his day perfect had he sought to pass the ball after working it forward. He temptation to shoot was too much for him. He fell, as others have done before him. Still a pass across the goal-mouth a worthy two angular shots. You agree. Yes, I thought so. On the City side old Wilyum from Chirk showed ball command and in his direct lobs towards goal he showed discretion and good football. He and Lomas were the visitors best forwards. Tyler was most successful at half and Fletcher his own rugged self. Our half backs as a line were better than City’s and if the game were played again tomorrow I should vote solidly for Everton to win.

January 29, 1918. The Evening Express
In the course of a series of articles dealing with footballers from the various clubs who have joined the colours. “Ex-Manager” of the Football Outlook,” this week writes in reference to the Everton F.C.
He says; - Tom Fern, the famous goalkeeper is now a private in a regiment stationed at Catterick, Yorks, and MaConnachie and Stevenson, two great backs are with the Royal Flying Corps at Farnborough. So is Harry Makepeace, now a Sergeant and a man who is respected to the highest degree by all the offices and men in the great depot, where he holds a responsible position. Weller another of Everton’s best-known defenders is in France and Jimmy Galt, the great Scottish centre-half is also in the thick of the fray across the channel. Galt who has done a lot of military service is now a Lieutenant in a Scottish regiment and we all wish him and all the other Everton boys a safe return. S. Chedgzoy, the speedy and tricky outside right who so often showed us that a broken leg is no bar to efficiently at “Soccer” once the injured member has healed, is a private in the Scots Guards and is in France. His partner, Kirsopp has been given a commission, and is happily for London lovers of the game, still in London, but G. Harrison who like Chedgzoy, joined the Scots Guards is out in France. Everton’s great young forward leader, R. Parker who came from Glasgow Rangers with a big reputation and sustained it, has seen a lot of service, and has had the bad luck of be wounded out in Mespotamia, while that promising junior right half, J. Roy, fell in action in Flanders. J. Houston the galliant Irishman, who joined the Royal Irish Rifles and who won the Miltary Medal on active service is back in Belfast, resting for the moment on his richly earned laurels. S. Challenor, Galt’s deputy, is in the Army and is stationed at Cardiff and J. Nuttall, the inside right, R. McFadyen, left back, S. Roberts, outside-left and W. Bromilow, goalkeeper, have all donned the fashionable garb. Can you picture to yourself a team with Fern, Macconachie, Stevenson, Galt, Grenyer, Wareing, Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Clennel, and Harrison as the “star turns”? It fairly makes the mouth water, and I for one, and I am only one of hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts who are looking forward to the day when all these galliant boys will come back and troop on the field to thrill us by their brilliance. We would gladly excuse a little trench stiffness. Good luck to them all!

January 31, 1918. The Evening Express
Everton’s Team
The Everton directors yesterday selected the eleven to duty at Rochdale and two changes have been made from the side which drew with Manchester City. The most important and a distinct gain to the strength of the team, is the return of Fleetwood who displaces Cotter at right back. Tommy’s arm has mended nicely, and the news that he was fit to play –announced in the “Express” last night;- has given general satisfaction to supporters of the Blues. Smith cannot play, so Riley, the local youth will partner Robinson. The forward line has been re-shuffled. Clennell crosses over to his usual position, so we may hear of him again amongst the goals. Gault goes on the wing and Wright will lead the attack. The chosen team is; Mitchell; Riley and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer; Gault, Jefferis, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie.

Liverpool Echo - Thursday 31 January 1918
According a report from a West Ham source (writes "Vin")  appears Kirsopp, the Everton winger, has been granted a commission.

January 1918