Everton Independent Research Data


March 1, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
It will interest readers to note that Roose’s debut under senior League colours was made with Stoke against Blackburn Rovers, in October 1901, and trial little Arnot Whittaker had the pleasure of being number 1 to make the great man bring the ball out of the net. A week or so later Roose was in the team that visited Everton, where he gave a great display – only succumbing to Jack Sharp like Whittaker an outside right. Roose’s first visit to Anfield was on that unfortunate occasion in the following January when the Potters were the victims of a 7-0 debacle. Andy McGuggan having a field day indeed, for he scored two of the seven goals accruing to the Reds. Roose’s visit to Blackburn a few weeks later was attended with almost equally disastrous results for the Rovers prevailed 6-1, little Hughes Morgan an ex-Liver, dodging through with a hat-trick. By the way it is not generally known that Roose preferred big men to little ones in opposition teams. But Stoke had their days of triumph even in Roose’s first season for did they not throw the Villa out of the Cup in the first round on the Villa enclosure after a drawn game at home! For a full year after this Roose demonstrated marvels of masterly under the crossbar but a severe Cup-tie. Throughout 1903-04 season Roose was the great outstanding man in the Stoke ranks. Especially was this the case in April, when the Potters were fighting hard to avoid relegation. It is safe to say that Roose never excelled his efforts of that closing month wherein Stoke had to oppose Small Heath and Derby at home as well as Wolves and Everton away, yet he only surrendered a single goal in the four matches. Bloomer along being his conqueror. But the great man went into hiding after that for a while, so far wearing a Stoke jersey is concerned, only to come out as a helpmate for Everton a few months later following the severe hurt which brief William Scott on the Sheffield Wednesday enclosure. Curiously Roose’s successor at Stoke in 1904-05 was himself a former Everton keeper Whitley. But after lending Everton able assistance in Cup and League Roose reported back to the Potteries in 1906-07 and enjoyed most of his best years.

March 2, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
By “Vin”
And the present acting secretary is none more than Mr. J. A Scholfield the old left wing international. A flying winger Jimmy we are told was the hero of many sensational performances and his goal scoring was magnificent. Early in his career he once appeared snoogaito as it were in a Stoke Swift v Everton Reserves game (this was an interesting New Year Fixture “Reserved for Merseyside) and fairly electrified the crowd by his brilliant footwork.
Clennell it appears has been enjoying good health for a long time. He is suffering from physical superfluity which to say the least, must be anatorifically “awkward.”

March 2, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
F.E.H Describes Game at Burslem
Now Juniors Fared
While Donnachie returned to the Everton side at Burslem, Everton announced the “arrival” of Collins and Cooper.” We travelled rapidly through Cheshire in the crisp spring sunshine only to find on arrival at Hanley that it was snowing rather heavily. This wintry visitation however, speedily passed away, and the sun came out as the players appeared before a small numerous attendance. Everton fielded the team selected and the home side was fully represented. Teams;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Cooper, Jefferis, Gault, Wright, and Donnachie, forwards. Port Vale; Hammond, goal; Lyon and Cameron, backs; Buchan, Pearson and Arrowsmith, half-backs; Daly, Brannan, Bowcock, Jolly, and Pearson, forwards. Referee; Mr. Heald of Manchester. It was five minutes after time when Port Vale started against a stiffest breeze. After the usual opening stages, Everton moved along strongly on the left, but Donnachie was stopped by Lyons and the Vale forward returned the compliment with a breakaway on the part of Daley and Brennan. Robinson could only drop the first raid at the cost of a corner, but the ball was put just behind. Port Vale, however, continue to be most aggressive and Jolley, after beating Collins, gave the leather to Bowcock put in a stinging drive, which was rather luckily intercepted.
Everton’s Lead
Everton then made ground in their best style, and after Donnachie had lost possession Jefferis tried his luck with a pot shot that passed yards wide. The visitors were now proving the more aggressive and a free kick paved the way to a goal, for the leather going to Gault, the latter netted with a swift affort. Having drawn first blood, the Evertonians proceeded to make further calls on the home defenders and Hammond in saving one perilous situation put the leather over the bar. The ensuing corner was well dealt with, and the Vale forwards were once more in the picture with some smart work on the left. Jolley and Bowcock both getting in solo efforts which were charged down. For a time play ruled rather dragging in character and it was not improved when Grenyer from long range shot yards wide. Some attempted triangular work on the part of Arrowsmith, Pearson and Jeffey was well nultifed by the selwart. Fleetwood who squared up slowly to the right wing. The pair got down rather merrily on a rather slippery turf and forced a corner from Cameron but this in turn was safely coped with. The next item of interest was a brilliant bit of work by Brennan on his own account but he was nonplussed by Wareing at the enticed moment. Still the nippy Vale forwards persisted and almost from the corner flag he put in a long dropping shot, which struck the ironwork at the back of the net. It was not long before Everton were again attacking and Wright being roughly grassed, a free kick close in was granted, but this was very badly taken, and for some minutes give-and-take play was seen in the neighborhood of the centre line.
In the Limelight
Port Vale were the first to resume the offensive which they did through Joffey and A. Pearson, but Collins checked cleverly and the visitors were then in the limelight with a flash along the left, which terminated in Donnachie giving Hammond a very warm handful. Jefferis was next in evidence with a characteristic tricky run, but Gault was obviously offside when he received the pass. Arrowsmith continued a very promising movement and three short shots were fired at Mitchell, before Brennan put the leather wildly outside. Then followed another sustained onslaught on the Everton goal and Bowcock had only the keep to beat when he slipped on the greasy turf. The visitors were busy in turn at the other end, but Wright with his over-anxiety sent the ball high over the bar. Towards the interval there was a further slackening of efforts on both sides and much of the footwork was a rather a rough-and-tumble order. Fleetwood once sent the leather flying over the crossbar with a tremendous drive, and at the opposite goal Brennan was just stalled off in the neck of time. Just before half time Everton attacked with renewed persistence and shots were attempted by both Cooper and Wright but they were well fielded. Wright however immediately had another go, and this time he struck the upright with a regular teaser.
Half-time; Port Vale 0, Everton 1.
If vigorous and not beyond of incident the first half had scarcely yielded classy football. The struggle for the most part had proved to be of a scrambling character and many fine chances were thrown to the winds by both sides. Everton’s goal was somewhat lucky, though especially speaking their forward work had been much neater and well contrived than that of their opponents. Gault was prone to lie offside too much but he did good work, and the halves were as hefty as usual. Robinson and Collins were frequently in difficulties but they were well served by Mitchell who kept a consistently good goal. He was most frequently trouble by Brennan who was the most prominent of the home forwards though Bowcock was frequently a source of danger. The half-backs managed to upset the Everton forwards very successfully at times, and the backs were both competent and sound.
The Second Half
It was snowing again when the second half was commenced before 5,000 spectators. Everton at once went away on the left and two fierce shots were put at Hammond in as many minutes. He coped with them gallantly, but the visitors still stuck tenaciously to their guns and Donanchie tried his best to increase the lead. He lobbed the ball right into the goalmouth and Gault attempted to convert the effort but without avail. Slight injuries to Jefferis delayed the game nomrieutarily and on resuming the visitors once more made play on the left. There was however something lacking in their finishing and before they could get through the home right wing pair preceded to carry war into the Everton camp. Grenyer and Robinson however came to the rescue and we had more scrappy and ineffective work in midfield. Subsequently Bowcock and his wings swept down dangerously and it looked as though the Everton defence might be broken, when Wareing dashed into the fray and cleared. Later on the visitors once more took up the running and some of their foot work was exceedingly clever, but quite ineffective.
Goal Scorer-Gault for Everton.

March 4, 1918. The Evening Express
By Rover
The game at Hanley, in which Everton were concerned with Port Vale, produced a strenuous encounter in which, however, the nicer points of play only occasionally entered into the proceedings. The home forwards were not a polished combination; still they kept hammering away and at times made good openings, but like the opposing front line, they were rarely convincing when it came to a matter of applying the finishing touch. Faulty marksmanship was general on both sides and it was only through bad judgment on the part of the home keeper in taking in a goal kick that Gault was able to score the only goal of the game in the early stage of play. Grit and persistency rather than skill marked the general movements of the Vale half backs and forwards but they found in the Everton trio experts in the art of breaking up tactics, though the heavy playing pitch was against the latter in their efforts to provide accurate touches to their own forwards. Enforced changes in the Everton front line did not pan out satisfactorily, for Wright and Donnachie did not produce the force that is usually identified with left wing play, while Cooper, on the extreme right, appeared more concerned in his efforts to beat an opponent than to take the lesser risk of swinging the ball across the centre. At times the Everton defence was none too sound, due probably to the difficult foothold, but both Collins and Robinson were smart in recovery, and on one occasion the latter prevented an equalizer by this means. Mitchell kept a good goal. On the whole the Evertonians were value for their narrow victory.

March 4, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
By Bees
Everton won and kept a clean defending sheet. For the most part play, on both sides were scrappy, haphazard and except for Gault’s solitary goal wholly ineffective. Neither set of forwards seemed to have brought their shooting boots with them.

March 7, 1918. Evening Express
Changes in the forward line have been made by the Everton directors this week. Cotter will play at outside right in place of Cooper and Wright stands down, the clever Clennell-Donnachie partnership once more resuming. The team to meet Port Vale at Goodison will therefore be; Mitchell; Collins and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer; Cotter, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie.

March 8, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Cotter In His Right Line
Cotter, of Kirkdale, who has made a number of useful appearances in the Everton team at half-back was placed there through half-back’s accident. Now, for the first time in the senior side he is getting a run. A forward which in as he likes Clennell’s reappearance together with Villa’s assistance to Burslem, and the posting of the scores of the Stoke game every quarter of an hour should lead to a big crowd at Everton. Everton; Mitchell; Collins and Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer; Cotter, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie.

March 9, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
About this time they had John Eccles who subsequently came to Everton and was eventually passed on to Bolton, finally becoming the Wanderers trainer, as he is today.
Notes and Notions
Children we are told were never so valuable as they are today. Hearty congratulations, therefore on the safe arrival on this plant of the first born –a daughter to Lieutentent and Mrs Fred May –a Birkenhead lady. The well-known black-and-white artist who fine “to the life” sketches appear in this issue has been recuperating at St Annes from his “gold stripe” casualty. May the May trio wez strong.

March 9, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
All Eyes Centred On The Score-Board
“Duval’s Report
Everton tried Cotter who has played half-back at his best place today in the match with Burslem. Clennell reappeared –good news and Burslem made many changes from last week’s beaten side. teams;- Mitchell, goal; Collins and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Cotter, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donanchie, forwards. Port Vale; Hammond, goal; Lyons and Cameron, backs; Phillips, H. Pearson, and Arrowsmith, half-backs; Spocess, Brennan, Holmes, Jolly, and A. Pearson, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Heald, Manchester. Everton led off and a quiet opening was followed by a breakthrough on the Everton left. Donnachie, however failed to make the necessary progress and the movement came undone. Donnachie was more succeeded a moment later and he lobbed a beautiful ball right into the visitors goal, Hammond, with a hefty punch clearing smartly. Donanchie was again the means of working the Everton attack and he finished with a shot that missed the upright by inches only. Hammond however showed his skill as anticipating the direction to a nicely, and he was deservedly applauded a moment later when he fielded a high shot from Gault very cleverly. So far the bulk of the attack had some from Everton and when Cotter dropped the ball into the centre of the Port Vale goal Hammond was brought down and prevented from clearing. Clennell took advantage of the position and met it, but the referee had just stopped the game, for the infringement on Hammond.
Goal; Scorers Clennell scored for Everton 17 minutes.

March 11, 1918. The Evening Express
Everton again demonstrated their superiority over Port Vale on the occasion rubbing it in to the tune of seven goals to nil. As the score indicates the game was a very one sided affair but Port Vale for half the time were without their goalkeeper who was injured. After Clennell had opened the shooting the Vale defence fell to pieces and the it appeared to be only a question as to how many the Everton men would score. Clennell as usual was chief scorer, his number being four, while Gault twice and Jefferis (one) made up the total. The only weak spot in the home vanguard was at outside right where Cotter lost many opportunities more through want of confidence than lack of ability. The left wing Donnachie and Clennell was in sparkling form, the sinuous ruins of the former and the sharp shooting of the latter being capital.

March 11, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Space is of a premium so I cannot do more now than congratulate Everton on their seven fold and seven goals victory. Clennell with four has turned the corner, good luck to him. BEE.

March 12, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Corp Kirsopp (Scots Guards), Everton’s clever forward is now in France, where he has come across colleagues Guardsman in Chedgzoy and Harrison.

March 13, 1918. The Evening Express
Everton announce one change in the team to visit Bolton. Wadsworth brother of the Liverpool half-back and who plays for Tranmere Rovers will displace Cotter at outside right. When Blackburn visited Goodison Park he assited the Rovers at outside left, and made a good impression. Team chosen is; Mitchell; Collins, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell and Donanchie.

March 13, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
Last evening Mr. Frank Hoy’s was elected president of the Meat Traders Assoication and presented with the association’s medal. Mr. W.C. Cuff was appointed secretary and solicitor. Mr. Cuff the Everton F.C Secretary will of course continue his football connection.

March 14, 1918. The Liverpool Evening Express
Two “teams of all the talents,” each a choice blend of Everton, Liverpool and South Liverpool met at Goodison Park yesterday to aid all the Bootle district section of the Sports men’s Ambulance Fund. The attendance was about 15,000 only fair in view of the attractiveness of the advertised teams. Those who stayed away missed a treat, for with nothing at stake the men were able to devote themselves to the finer points of the game, and the dribbling headwork and general trickery shown were delighted. No one enjoyed it more than the players, who maintained a fast pace; but of course, the greatest good humour prevailed and the referee Mr. Hamilton had an easy task, while its was hardly necessary for linesmen Smith and Stevenson to give a decision. Longsworth had an unusual experience for he saw the men behind him pick the ball out of the net four times in the first half, largely because the Bootle Tanning Co swung the ball about in front of goal, while Harland’s forward adopted the close game, one which just suited Page and Jenkinson. Mitchell the Everton custodian had a great time as a half-back and it must not be forgotten that Mr. W.W. Kelly gave evidence of latent ability with a lusty lunge at the start, aided by his trusty umbrella. In the first half Bootle put on four –Gee (2), T. Page and Taylor –while in the second half Grenyer netted with a very fine shot from thirty yards range. The teams were; Harland and Woff’s Kelly; Longsworth, McDonald; Fleetwood, Scott, Genyer, Gault, Hilton, Bennett, Brennan, Wright. Bootle Tanning Co’ Capper; Page, Jenkinson; Mitchell, Wadsworth, Rees; Taylor, T. Page, Gee, Clennell, Schofield.
The Bolton team to meet Everton at Burden Park on Saturday has been chosen as follows; Gunner Hodgkiss, Nuttall, Hodgson, Tom Buchan, Hurst, Rutter, Pickup, Heathcote, Kelly, Davies, and Winterburn.

March 15, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Foreword
I think Everton certain to win tomorrow, Everton; Mitchell; Collins, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Wadworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie. Bolton; Gunner Hodgkiss, Nuttall, Hodgson, Tom Buchan, Hurst, Rutter, Pickup, Heathcote, Kelly, Davies, and Winterburn.

March 16, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
F.E.H’S Report of the Bolton Game
Wadsworth Jun Plays.
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Wadworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Bolton Wanderers; Gun Hogkiss, goal; Nuttall and Hurst; Rutter, Buchan, Abrams; Pickup, Healthcote, Kelly, Davies, and Winterburn. Referee; Mr. Baker of Crewe.
It is good to find that Everton have “signed contracts with Sheffield United for games at the end of the season. On April 27 United visit us and the following week Everton go to Sheffield. The games will be for the benefit of the Footballers War Fund.
Wadsworth the brother of the Liverpool’s half-back who played against Everton a week or two back, and has played for Liverpool, played for Everton today at Bolton. There was quite a good crowd present while the teams turned out. The home side it will be noticed, were strengthened by the inclusion of Abrams of Southport Central. The Wanderers were the first to advance, Kelly leading a dangerous movement which culminated in an abortive corner. It was long however before they work down into workmanlike play and following upon a brilliant run on the right where effort was robber at fault, Clennell sent in a freshing shot which the home keeper gathered very cleverly. The Bolton left wing, however, was aggressive when Davies was well played when he out outside. Kelly tried to move matters with a wonderfully smart individual effort, and he was dangerously near Mitchell’s charge when he applied the chance. The home centre forward taking the last opportunity in good parth came through again and shot strongly, but the Everton keeper was not to be caught napping.
Clennell’s Daisy-Cutters
Everton now took up the running in something like their proper style and Clennell but in a couple of daisy cutters which caused Hodgkiss considerable anxiety. As the game preceded Everton began more and more to make their science felt. Donnachie simply can round Rutter, but flashed with a wild shot, and then Gault nipping in, was only baulked at the cost of a corner. The visiting half-backs were most assisting and feeding their forwards. Fleetwood being a particularly hard worker, and young Wadsworth was given two opportunities of making his mark when he permitted Hurst to antedate him. The Everton forward started in promising the motion only to find Buchan a most effective stubbing block, while Abrams also shared in this building up success. Nevertheless the Everton dominated the attack and Gault finding a convient gap but in a swift shot which was very unfortunately diverted. The corner that resulted led to another brick fusillade but this was eventually cleared by Nuttall and the succeeding chances were in favour of the Wanderers. The Bolton men developed a sudden mood of aggression that threatened opportunities to sweep the Evertonians of their feet and Abrams had a long range sent in a wonderful shot, which was saved with marvelous skill by the keeper. Again the home front rank move down on the most approved fashion. Kelly, Davies and Winterburn being conspicuous and it was only the doughly doggedness of Fleetwood that upset the calculations. The crowd gulped with astonishment when Bennett taking a lovely pass from Davies, drove in with ferocity Cornthwaite started the shot and moreover got away the rebound which was the last kicked by Bennett. Robinson came to his partners assistance, but the danger was not wholly cleared for the strenuous Abrams came bustling through and with a tremendous drive sent the leather flying a foot wide of the mark. The visitors retaliated with smart movement on the right and they were well-field by Abrams and Hurst. Jefferis tried to improve the shinning hour with one of his long runs and he played with the ball as the judicious to Donnachie but the latter shot wildly over the bar.
Half-time; Bolton 0, Everton 0
The Second Half
There were over 8,000 people present about a record gate for Bolton this season when the second half was entered upon after a lengthy interval. The wearers of the Blue jersey at once raced down on the left and Hodgkiss had to run out in order to throw clear from Clennel. Wadsworth was next in the limelight with a smart solo effort which he was not permitted to finish but the visitors still pressed and Grenyer, placing a free kick right in the goalmouth, Jefferis came within an ace of scoring. Once more, the visitors rallied on the left, but as before, they sailed off rather badly at the finish and after a time Bolton were busy in front of Mitchell. Kelly and Heathcote both essayed shots which were intercepted and their followed a long spell of indiscrimate work in midfield. The Wanderers right wing in deadly earnest. On one occasion Pickup next in a beauty which was smartly and a few seconds later Winterburn sent the ball over the crossbar. Play continued in the same dangerous fashion and Wadsworth made a valiant attempt to win his spurs with a quick square shot which was hooted away by Hurst. Gault was going straight for goal when he was grassed just outside the penalty area. Clennell took the free kick, but he put the ball right out to the wing and nothing came of it. Subsequently Wadsworth got in another fine centre almost from the corner flag, and Gault tried to head it through but without success. The latter stages of the contest were full of interest but almost always larking in the artistry which all for goals and well won victory
Goal Scorers ;
Pickup for Bolton
Gault equalized for Everton

March 18, 1918. The Evening Express
By Rover
The meeting of Everton and Bolton Wanderers produced but a moderate display, and taking a line through the general run of the game the Evertonians were somewhat lucky in carrying off both points. In the first half movements were very scrappy, and when chances came along the marksmanship of both sets of forwards was of a very elementary character. The most attractive football work was crowded into the last half hour of the game, during which period no fewer than five goals were registered. Pickup had taken the lead for the home side, following which Gault drew level after the keeper had but partially arrested a brilliant shot from Grenyer. Wareing and Gault again placed the issue beyond doubt, though the lead was reduced by Winterburn close on time. Everton thus prevailing by the odd goal in five. The half-backs of both teams gave a sound display both in placing to their forwards and breaking up attacks on their respective defences but the front lines except on odd occasions, were not over convincing. On the Everton side the best work was accomplished on the right, where young Wadsworth gave a capital display. Jefferis rendered him good support and most of Everton’s incisive movements came from this quarter. Clennell and Donanchie were erratic, despite able assistance from Gault and Grenyer, who with Wareing and Fleetwood, were the only line to maintain its reputation. Robinson was frequently beaten, and with Collins, who, however, saved the situation at times by kicking a good length, only reached an ordinary standard of efficiently. Mitchell was particularly spry in goal, and at critical times, especially in the first portion, showed great resource in dealing with awkward situations. The Bolton defence, was strong and Abrams was the outstanding player in the half-back line. The forwards was strong, and Abrams was the outstanding player in the half-back line. The forwards were a dashing lot but correct finishing was not one of their strong points.

March 18, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Mr. E. Sutcliffe says; “There have been few games this season more interesting than the one at Burnden Park between Bolton Wanderers and Everton. The game was wonderfully fast and though the Wanderers on paper to have a chance, their played a pluckily that Everton had to play. In the second portion Everton awoke to a dangerous situation, which notwithstanding their pressure developed to their danger. By a well designed header started a movement that Pickup to score. Then we saw the best of Everton. Schmeing, planning and tricking they swarmed round dangerous, and Grenyer pot boiler that Wanderers keeper saved but Gault getting the ball from a difficult angle. The centre also scored from a corner well placed by Donnachie. Each side each side scored in the last few minutes and for a time it was a case of up and go.

March 16, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
“Tim Coleman write me from France.
Just a few lines just to let you know we are still in the land of the living, and according to this evening thankful to be so. Our splendid battalion has been finish up and has been transferred to another one. We have a lot of players here and we have been in great demand since we came. We played a team selected from an Army Corps and we just managed to beat them, after being two goals down. We also played a hot team from the Notts and Derby and made a draw with them. Among them were a few pros, including Armstong of Preston who is still playing well. We have a had a heavy programme when we go out for a rest. All the “thieve” are all right but we nearly had a mishap the other night. I and Sir Sheldon and a pal were talking outside when an airplane which was over head and had been distribution some rations was being was being snarled by our men. – (Unfortunately I cannot read any more without trying to rewrite it myself by guessing).
We heard a hissing noise coming through the air.  We parted without saying good night.  Sheldon was doing physical drill on the floor and I got in a hole a fly could not crawl into.  When the missile had dropped it was found to be one of our "dud" ant-aircarft shells.  As jack and I are playing on the wing together we looked like being broken up!  Havn't seen the "Giesson Times" laterly, so can't say how Joe Mercer is going on, all right, I hope.  Should not be a bit surprised to see another of our profession take a commission shortly.  Sincerely hope things in Blighty are looking up, as I hope to be there shortly.  Kind regrets to you and all my Liverpoool friends. 

March 22, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bees Sports Notes
Everton v. Bolton is the home attraction and after the spirited way in which Wanderers hung on to Everton last week there should be a rousing game for the good sized crowd at Goodison Park. Everton’s steady progress for many weeks has drawn afresh the September belief that Everton should have won the championship. Interest in young Wadsworth and the reappearance of Smith will cause the match to be followed keenly. Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donanchie. Bolton; Gun Hodgkiss; Nuttall, Hurst; Rutter, Buchan, Abrams; Pickup, Healthcote, Kelly, Davies, Winterburn.

March 22, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Noted Footballer In a Conspiracy Charge
Leading Lights of Game Attend Proceedings
A Case of national importance and interest so far as football is concerned occupied the attention of the Liverpool stipendiary magistrate this afternoon when George Anderson, the well known Manchester United club footballer was brought up on reniand. He was originally charged with having conspired with certain persons unknown to defraud other persons unknown of sums of money in respect to the football match played at Everton on January 12 between the Everton and Blackpool clubs. Today the charge was amended in the following terms;-
“That between 18th October, 1917 and 12 January 1918 he unwitedly and maliciously did conspire, and agree with certain persons who are unknown to cheat ad defraud of their respective moneys diver persons whose names are unknown and who had wagered and betted upon the result of football matches. There were present in court many well known players in the football world. Mr. McKenna (president of the football league), Mr. John Lewis, Mr. A.E Sutcliffe, Mr. J.J. Benley; Mr. W.R. Clayton, (chairman of Everton club) and others. Mr. Wingate Said (instructed by Mr. D. Geddas, the Everton Football Club and the was represented by Mr. Landon Riley.
Everton Football Club
Mr. Wingate Said the prosecution was instituted by the Everton Football Club, and the charge was of to cheat and defraud by bribing football players to lose or draw football matches in order that people who betted on the matches in the hope and expectation that the best side would win should be checked through these matches being “squashed.” Anderson was a professional footballer, engaged by Manchester United and up to 1915 he like other professional received a salary of £4 a week. But after that date professional football was suspended for the duration of the war and the most a player could get per week was “half a crown for dinner, stay on the day of the weekly match and he remainder for expenses incidental to training. The majority of the players continued to play the game though they followed other occupations. They played in a competition arranged by the Football league and in respect of that competition said counsel, there was no doubt a very great deal of betting because professional bookmakers advertising openly on certain newspapers inviting bets on the various matches. What the defendant was doing was acting for a professional back ground and attempting to “square” matches to surf the books of the bookmakers on the particular man involved. However, I he did not succeed. The players would have nothing to do with him, and it was gratying to think that the bookmakers lost a very considerable amount of money.

March 23, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Mersey folk would learn with regret of the serious illness of Dan Doyle, such a popular hero in Everton. Latter Anfield Road days. What a fine combination of backs were Hannah from Renton and Doyle of the curly-looks and straight parting. Doyle had the look of an Irishman, if possessing the tongue of a Scot And with what fire he ever played! Hannah cool and collected, Doyle daring and collective. Dan as a matter of fact was a second edition of the incomparable Nick Ross minus the latter’s speed. His style was dour, his tackling rugged and determined. A splendid kicker and tackler, it needed a most ardent wing to get the better of the Paisley gentleman who sampled quite a number of clubs ere finally settling down under Secretary William Maley at Parkhead along with Trainer Danny Friel, one of the first “pros” by the way signed on by Burnley F.C –a rare half-back. Hibs, East Stirlingshire, Sunderland Albion, Grimsby Town, and Bolton Wanderers all had a short taste of Doyle’s powers before he linked up with Everton and finally on to the Celtic. His robustness was ever rather pronounced, so that he was not an exactly popular man with “away” crowds. In the nineties Doyle appeared for Scotland against England four years out of five –a capital record. He had some keen rivals in his latter days, too, for the position in the Celtic team, these including Dave Storrier, Walford (ex-Villa), and James Orr (also an international). Doyle has a big opinion of another Dan –McArthur –of the Celtic, as goalkeeper. “Mac” was no bigger than Baddeley of the Wolves –nay, not as big. But whilst great in club football, he was not quite a success in international battle. Trusting merely to the memory again caused one to make a slip recently when stating that Eccles a former-day Stoke back, left the Potteries for Everton to join Bolton Wanderers later. My Morcecamble friend, Mr. J.A. MacGregor, writes in kindly fashion to put me right thus;- “There is some confusion over the Eccles associated with Stoke and Port Vale, respectively. George Eccles was associated with Port Vale at the same period as William Beat, Alf Wood, Thomas Badleley &c. The other Eccles –Jack –was a full back as you state with Stoke. George Eccles went to the Wolves and Lewis (their miner) eventually had something to do with his entry to Bolton where he is now held in hugh respect as Trainer. Yours Faithfully J.A. MccGregor.
Yes, it was he Wolf who came to Everton, on the recommendation I think of his father-in-law Lewis, the Everton trainer, who previously had prepared the Wolves eleven that overcame Everton in 1893 Cup final at fallowfield. Lewis later went to Bolton, whither George Eccles followed, and eventually supersede him as trainer, as he now remains.
A native of Newcastle-under-Lyme, he left Port Vale in 96 for the Wolves, joining Everton in May 98. John Eccles of Stoke, was five years George senior and rather trial looking with a thinnish top-place. But he was always worth his place in the side.

March 23, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
The Cricketing Weather Conditions
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Wadsworth, Cotter, Gault, Jefferis, and Donnachie, forwards. Bolton; Ellison, goal; Nuttall and Hodgson, backs; Buchan, Fay and Rutter, half-backs; Pickup, Heathcote, Geddos, Kelly and Winterburn, forwards. Referee; Mr. Baker, of Crewe.
Everton, who have made the month of March a march towards full points –they have won nearly every one – and today they looked like going strong for another victory, as their team was strongly represented against the Wanderers.
Cricket Weather
The weather was excellent –for cricket. Bolton started, but Everton seen first to attack. Grenyer shooting over. It was six minutes before Bolton made an attack, but when they did more forward they moved with good result, scoring through Healthcote. This is how the goal was made. Geddes made a pass to Pickup whose centre fell at Heathcote’s feet, the shot that followed passing just inside the post. Under doubted rebuff, and there was promise of further trouble for the Everton defenders, Bolton adopting nippy tactics as against Everton’s over-elaborate mattern-weaving. The best Everton could do for some time was to shoot over, Wareing and Grenyer being responsible for long shot, which passed wide. The sun was so strong that all the players were troubled by its rays, yet the game was quite nippy, and Bolton severely taxed Smith and Robinson, who were none too safe. As a matter of fact, Bolton netted a second time from a free kick, the referee adjudging the scored offside, probably through his failure to notice that a full back had joined Mitchell on the goal line. This was not the only mistake the referee made, as he pulled up Jefferis after that player had recovered from a foul, the innocent side thereby being penalized.
Heathcote’s Double
Gault made a bonny effort to convert the free kick but was a shade to high. There was further bad defence by the Everton backs, when Grenyer came to there aid and he was only able to push the ball up the field to Buchan, who promptly placed it forward for Healtcote his double event. The goal came after 27 minutes. Admittedly the Bolton had some good fortune during the remainder of the half, but it must be confessed that the home forward were thus far off in their normal game. In truth the half-backs showed more capacity than the forwards for shooting. Fleetwood went near with a long one, and Wareing and Grenyer and Fay were strong with their heads. There was no luck for Everton as witness when Wright went inches wide, with the goalkeeper nowhere near, and when Buchan tried to handle the ball in the penalty area and failed, Smith the Everton back was quite out of touch with the game, and when he took an enormous task and attempted to dribble pass a Bolton forward he was beaten, and what is more allowed temper in backing his opponent. The first half had been a shock to Everton and their supporters but it could not be gainsaid that Bolton had taken their chances had been swift on the ball and had met a defence that was clean of its game. Everton showed more sting in the first minute of the resumption of play, than they had shown throughout the first half. Before a Wanderers had touched the ball, Everton moved right up and Jefferis delivered a low shot but Ellison fell full length and smothered in brilliant fashion. In a trice Donnachie pushed the ball a trifle wide, Cotter making the third effort and shooting wide where he might have passed. Still, Everton could make no improvement on that brilliant general Fay. Another half back who keeps a level of good stand was Grenyer who saved one situation before lucky clearance.
A Third Goal
The second half had been on progress ten minutes when the ball was lobbed towards the Everton’s goal, Robinson called to the goalkeeper to come out, but Mitchell was late in arising there and Pickup following up and the ball to cannon into the empty net.

March 25, 1918. The Evening Express
Smith turned out on the rear line for the Blues and was clean off his game. Robinson, up against a lively wing, also gave a display which was not up to his usual standard and with each of the three goals scored by Bolton the result of good play, the visitors to Goodison Park were entitled to the honours of the game. When the Wanderers forwards were within shooting range Mitchell knew about it but, on the other hand, the Everton attack was weakened by the right wing. Wadsworth not coming up to expectations, though showing that on his day he would be very useful. That will not be, however, till he learns that his chief duty is to provide scoring chances for the better placed inside man, and that he is not doing that by handing on so long that the defence is fully prepared for his centre. Had the Blues front line taken advantage of the fact that the Bolton keeper was almost blinded by the sun in the first half and hit the ball hard and often, a different result might have had to be recorded, but pattern-weaving was not the paying policy with Jimmy Fay at his best. The Wanderers pivot was the outstanding figure and his team took their cues from him, to their great advantage.

March 25, 1918. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Sports Notes
The weather got some of the players down and the result of certain matches would now be palatable. At Bolton Everton won by 3-2 at Goodison Park Bolton won by 3-2. But Bolton’s was the more prolonged win when you call to mind that their side was leading by no fewer than three clear goals to till late on in the game when Ernest Gault came into fortune and had two goals added to his big register. The fact was that Bolton were too nippy for the Everton side. They took the ball in the run, met on the run, went straight for goal too and gave charges and had no time for worse about this or that. They were out for goals. Contrast their style with Everton’s. True Everton made some pretty moves, but these were blasted when a forward inclined to dribble “just one more.” Just one more has been the downfall or many men. It is a case that demise the new-found song that “another little one wouldn’t do us any harm.” Everton’s forwards were not content to beat their rivals in a single move –they signed “just one more.” Times there were when Everton had no sort of fortune, but there could be no mistaking Smith’s poor form. Robinson was not a great back, but he was the better back, yet he was caught in two minds when he left the ball to the goalkeeper. Pick-up following up and scoring a rather remarkable chance goal. Grenyer was the best of the half-backs and among the forward the young right wing fared none too well, though I have firm belief in both Wadsworth and Cotter. Bolton’s success should be very encouraging to the Wanderers club and much of the young folk’s good form was traceable to the head-trading of Jimmy Fay, who dominated the game, and Tom Buchan. Geddos is a lad to follow Healthcote can shoot and Rutter at half back could become an Udey type of half-back. Ellison’s goalkeeping was also a sound exhibition.

March 26, 1918. Evening Express
Old Captain in Witness-Box
The Attempt to Square The Rovers’ Match
The hearing was resumed by the Liverpool Stipendiary Magistrate today of the sensational football prosecution in which George Anderson, the former Manchester United player, was charged on remand with having conspired with certain persons unknown to cheat and defraud of their monies divers persons whose names are unknown, who had batted on the results of football matches. Mr. Wingate Saul (instructed by Mr. D.J. Geddas) prosecured at the instance of the Everton Football Club and Mr. Lindon Riley (instructed by Mr. John Bateman) defended Anderson. The first witness called was Mr. Charles Edward Sutcliffe, solicitor a member of the Management Committee of the Football League, who had been on the commission that had inquired into matters of alleged bribery in football matters. Witness showed Anderson two documents one of which was the letter received by Fleetwood, the Everton player from the Jew, and defendant denied that it was his handwriting. Other documents, defendant admitted were in his handwriting. When the similarity between the two sets of documents was pointed out to Anderson he replied. “They are very much alike. In witness’s opinion the letters produced were in Anderson’s writing. Cross-examined by Mr. Riley, witness said he had never before that day given any evidence of the subject of handwriting as an expert. Fred Smart said he had been a handwriter expert since 1879 and in his opinion the letters produced were in the same handwriting.
Fleetwood’s Story
This, Fleetwood, the Everton half-back and he was an engineer’s labourer, residing in the Goodison Park neighbourhood. On the 8th January, Anderson came to his home and told witness that he wanted a job. Witness asked him if he had seen the directors and defendant replied “No” After some conversation, defendant referred to the Everton and Blackpool match that was to take place the following Saturday and offered witness £10 if the match was lost or drawn. Fleetwood replied that he could do nothing, as he was suffering from a broken arm and advised defendant to see the other players. About an hour afterwards a Jew called, and after some preliminary talk, and that Fleetwood was “alright for £10” Witness reported the whole matter to Mr. Cuff, the Everton secretary. On Thursday, the 10th January the same Jew called again above five o’clock in the evening. The visitors asked witness how the game was. Fleetwood replied “Good” The Jew than handed him the letter produced and wanted to know if witness had seen the boys yet. Fleetwood replied that he was going to the ground then and arranged to meet the Jew later in the evening. About 8.30 the same evening witness saw the Jew again and told him that the boys were not satisfied and that they wanted some money and asked for £20. This sum the visitor promised for the following night.
“A Bad Job.”
The following evening Anderson called and handed witness £20 in notes with the remark “Don’t let it come undone or my man will lose a lot of money.” Witness replied that it would not come undone. Witness was present at the match which Everton won by 7-2. He saw the Jew at the match. About six o’clock that evening. Anderson called round to witness’s house and said, “This is a bad job; my man has lost a lot of money. What about the £20? Witness told him that he had distributed it amongst the players that morning. Anderson replied “I told you not to do that until it had come up. If I don’t get it my man will tell all the names.” He than gave witness a note and told him to send the £20 on t that address when he had collected it. Defendant added that if Fleetwood wanted any more matches arranging he was to write to the same address.
Gault’s Evidence
William Gault, another Everton player, giving evidence, said he was a boiler-maker, residing in Walton. On Tuesday evening, the 8th January last defendant spoke to him at the Windsor Hotel, and asked him how did he think he would get on about the match on the following Saturday. Witness replied he did not know until they got on with the match. Defendant then said; “If you lose or draw there is £60 for you. I have been along to Fleetwood’s but he is not playing, so I have come to you because you are playing.” He asked witness to see the other players and see what arrangement they could come to. The players mentioned by Anderson were Jefferis, Grenyer, Clennell, Donnachie and Wareing. He said. “Give to them who are playing. £10 and those that are not £5 to say nothing. You need not be afraid; there will be no names mentioned. They are doing it all over the country.” Witness asked for proof of the statement and defendant replied he had been to Bolton on the Friday night previous paying out some money for a match that had been squared namely the Port Vale and Bolton Wanderers match. He told witness to let him know by return the arrangement arrived at and this witness promised to do. During the conversation defendant said he was working for a big firm in Scotland.
Offer To Oldham Captain
David Wilson, tobacconist carrying on business in Oldham and captain of Oldham Athletic Club, said on the evening of 18th October last year Anderson and the Jew called at the shop. Anderson mentioned the match between Oldham and Blackburn Rovers to be played on the following Saturday and observed. “We don’t want you to win the match as it would upset the coupons if you won.” He added that he was working for a Manchester firm, and they had squared the match the week previous with Rotherham and Notts Forest that between Kilnarnock and Glasgow Celtic. This he said, was the only way the players had to making a living. Defendant promised to make it worth Wilson’s while and offered him £20 if Oldham got defeated. Anderson further offered to find witness a goalkeeper for the match for the occasion. Two days later witness informed the Old directors. In answer to a question by the Stipendiary Wilson said the conversation in the shop was carried on partly by the Jew and partly by Anderson. On the 25th of October Anderson called again. The matter was then being investigated by the Football Association. He asked Wilson to keep his (Anderson’s) name out of it as it would make it bad for him with the Football league.

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 27 March 1918
Everton's on Friday (2,30) will be:— Mitchell: Smith, Robinson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Wadsworth, Jefferis, Gault, Gee, and Donnachie Saturday's team (3.30).—Mitchell; Collins, Robinson: Fleetwood, Wareing. Grenyer; Wadsworth ' Howarth, Gault. Twiss, Burgess.

March 30, 1918. The Liverpool Eco
The overnight rain had made the turf in find conditions for yesterday’s subsidiary competition game at Goodison Park. There was a good-sized holiday crowd, and Everton won 3-2 after appearing easy winners against a team that played commonplace football. All though the first half Everton, by their combination and the special excellence of Donnachie’s work, were masters of the situation but once Liverpool got going and gained a goal matters because difference. The Anfielders played better the longer they played, and they went hard for the equalizer but found a stumbling block in Smith who played vastly different defence to that shown in the game with Bolton. The game was not as good as many that have been played between the rivals offside being a spoiling feature and the goals scored with the exception of Donanchie’s gem –the the third –being of a scrambling and indistinctive character. Connell should have saved Donnachie’s first point, but of course, he had no chance with Gault’s penalty kick given against Wadsworth for fisting the ball. Green and Lewis scored the losers points. Result, Everton 3, Liverpool 2.

March 30, 1918. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Collins and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Burgess, Twiss, Gault, Haworth, and Wadsworth, forwards. Stockport; Butler, goal; Garrett and Goodwin, backs; Francis, Sayers and Challinor, half-backs; Rodgers, Hyde, Hughes, Kenyon and Crossthwaite, forwards. Referee; Mr. Duckworth (Blackburn).
Due to Spectators and Club
The penance seat in mine today. By a silly slip I made the kick-off for yesterday’s game at Goodison Park as 3-30 instead of 2-30, although the advertisement at the foot of the note sayed 2.30 I am deeply sorry that spectators and the Everton club were seriously tapubled through the error, and make humble apology. By the way a contemporary attempting to make “points” out of the matter forget that its own paper on Wednesday (all ay) had the kick off timed 3.30. What is the bid saying about it.
The Game
For a long time after this Stockport played good. The ground was sticky but this did not prevent Wadsworth from showing accuracy early on. He rammed the ball against the crossbar the ball swinging away and not an Everton player handily to divert it football, and had the Everton defence on the full stretch all the time. They mixed their style of attack, first with close and later with the long swinging game, but their defence brooked no interference and cleared instantly by the aid of long punts.
The Clutching Hand
Rodgers was a wise centre-forward and he delivered long shots that had immense power behind them. Mitchell fortunately was safe. Although he was operating on a very unreliable turf. As a matter of fact, Mitchell slipped up when going down to one of the shots, but his clutching hands kept a hold on the ball. Everton woke up at this point and made well formulated attacks. Grenyer and Gault had good drives blocked and when Wadsworth lobbed the ball to goal Butler did not catch and clear as if the present day theory, preferring to thump clear the ball coming back to Wadsworth who made good use of it, if not goaling. Burgess like Wadsworth put the ball well into the goalmouth and after Butler had made another one-handed thump, Howarth made a very wide lungs and wasted a good opportunity. Teams were evenly matched and there was nothing to choose between them.
Two Well Done
Two players who do very well in their visitors to Everton –I refer to Fayers and Crosswaite enhanced their reputations. Crossthwaite when badly placed, contrived to get the ball desperately near to goal. Mitchell caught a very awkward ball, and later was ready for a shot that was a shade to high. There was much excitement in the last five minutes before half-time. Butler and Sayers having a misunderstanding in the mouth of the goal, and Gault coming near, missing a surprise goal. A jerky header by Gault was a clever piece of football and was but inches of the range of a goal. Gault had to thank Wadworth for making and taking a corner kick thus giving the centre his chance right in half time Stockport had wretched bad luck from a raid that had Crosswaite as its centre forward. Everton’s goal was twice saved in as many seconds by shots hitting the woodwork when Mitchell was hopelessly placed.
Half-time; Everton 0, Stockport 0
Heavily Bandage Player
Challinor who assisted Stockport is the ex-Everton player. He was heavily bandaged on the right knee. Butler used to keep Liverpool’s goal and of course was once a Stockport player. Collins was lacking in speed and tactics when Hughes flashed by him. The Everton back tripped up the Southport forward in the penalty area but as he retailed his feet Hughes was allowed to go on and centre, the chance being lost. Everton took the lead in 53 minutes and without doubt Wadsworth has made himself popular by his play and his personality. Stockport nearly equalized and Kenyon actually netted the ball, but was offside.
Goal scorers
Wadsworth for Everton after 53 minutes





March 1918