Everton Independent Research Data


February 1, 1952. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton will include young players of Central League experience and one with Football League experience when they face Burscough at Goodison Park tomorrow in the third round of the Liverpool Challenge Cup. The Everton scheme to give as many of their “A” and “B” team players the old game with the senior sides, means that most of the “A” team lads have had matches with the reserves, while Gibson who will be at outside right for the first time for seven weeks, has had two matches in the Football league team. It is interesting to note that Jimmy Cross will be at right half-back for his second game since his cartilage operation, while at left half will be Jimmy Tansey who will be demobilized at the end of February 11, brother Gerry plays at inside left. The experiments is being made of playing Forshaw at right-half. Forshaw who the reserves centre half until injury lost him his place. He will be partnered by Anderton who played for the reserves last Saturday. Everton have not won this trophy since 1933-34, although they have been in the final twice in post-war football, losing to Prescot Cables and Skelmersdale United. Burscough are seeking a third post-war success, for they won the Cup in 1947-48 and 1950-51. The sides are severely matched as their County Combination results prove. They have met twice and the result on each occasion was 2-2. Everton with their many players have not fielded the same combination on each occasion or for tomorrow’s game, which stated at 2.45 p.m. but Bursclough are pretty much the same as in the previous games. This fixture will make a useful overflow from the Cup-tie at Anfield and extra time will be played if necessary. Everton; Dunlop; Forshaw, Anderton; Cross, Parker, J. Tansey; Gibson, Vizard, Cronin, G. Tansey, Darlington. Burscough; Burns; Aspinall, Lynn; London, Morris, Waugh; Powell, Kelly, Penkeyman, McGrail, Jones.

February 1, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Everton have no first or second team game tomorrow. Their professional players will nearly all be watching the Liverpool match. There is, however an “A” team game at Goodison Park against Bursclough, in the third round of the Liverpool County F.A Cup (2.45) teams; Everton “A”; Dunlop; Forshaw, Anderton; Cross, W.F. Parker, J. Tansey; Gibson, Vizard, Cronin, G. Tansey, Darlington. Bursclough; Burns; Aspinall, Lynn; Lumpden, Morris, Waugh; Powell, Kelly, Penkeymen, McGrail, Jones.

February 2, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
The Executive Committee of the Everton shareholders Association feels that the following statement should be made in view of the present controversy concerning the affairs of the Everton club –
(a) It believes that the policy now being followed will assuredly restore to the club that prestige which it has of during the last few years.
(b) It is absolutely opposed to any individual shareholders, or any small group of shareholders, seeking a monopoly of power by means of share acquisition and thus being in a position to control the affairs of the club.
(c) On the matter of co-option of directors the executive of this association is confident that all shareholders who are in agreement with the foregoing views will cleanly see the present controversy in its right perspective. The association does not claim precedence in the choice of directorial candidates and never has done. In respects the decision of the board in its present action of co-option under circumstances very different from those which existed several years ago. It also recognizes that the board in exercising its right to co-opt is serving the best interests of the club.
(d) This association will at all times, extend its full support to all matters which will enhance the prestige of Everton but at club the same time will reserve the right to adopt in independent attitude when confronted with issues of a fundamental character affecting the goon government of the club. It is well known of the executive if this association that gentlemen prominently associated with the formation of the Everton Shareholders and Supporters Federation “are exerting every influence to persuade shareholders to sell their holdings at absurd prices. This executive recognizes the seriousness of this renewed challenge and calls upon all shareholders who have the future of the club at heart to resist it with a stern refusal to dispose of their shareholders. If therefore, there are any shareholders who through force of circumstances, may be tempted to disposes of their shares it is surged that the interests of both the sellers and the club will be best served by all such shareholders first contacting the secretary of the Everton club before disposing of their holding. This association always having the interesting the club at heart, extends a welcome to all shareholders similarly minded to join its ranks and to take part in its deliberations; - J. Taylor (chairman), D. Richardson (hon. Secretary). Everton F.C Shareholders Association.
Alderman Hogans reply to my letters most disappointing and only confirms my original impressions that his letters are part of a subtle propaganda. The alderman obviously does not understand the legal’s position regarding co-option and in consequence has adopted an old political tactic of abusing his opponents. Alderman Hogans presumes to tell the Everton board how to carry out their duty to the club. He also criticism the administration of the Shareholders Association. What impertinence from one who is neither a shareholder of the club not a member of the association. Enough of the nonsense from Alderman Hogan and air who think like him for the reason that it is doing the club an incalculable amount of harm. As a shareholder I am contend to leave the destiny of our club in the hands of those who have a real understanding of their job –“Namredla.”
I have followed with interest the correspondence regarding the Everton directors action in relation to co-option and am surprised that one so experiemenced as Alderman Hogan should attempt make such an issue the reason for controversy. Surely the correct way to approach the question of co-option is to first ascertain whether the directors have acted in accordance with the company’s Articles of Association. If they have, then the shareholders have their remedy by applying for such Articles to be altered. If the directors have acted contrary to the Articles of Association, the rights of the shareholders are protected within the Companies Act, 1948.
This to me seems to be the correct approach –T. Watson 11 Victoria Street, Liverpool 2.
My Position in relation to Everton is the same as Alderman Hogan’s. I am not a shareholders but one of the supporting public interested only in the success of the club. Alderman Hogan’s attempt to drag internal politics into the limelight leaves me cold. Whatever the policy of the club may be it appears to be paying dividends at the movement. If this is a result of the efforts of Mr. Britton and his players then we can only conclude that the present board is performing its function satisfactorily. If it is to the advantage of the club to co-opt directors then by all means do so if by such means the public can get what it wants –an Everton team back in the First Division as soon as possible. Above all let us not return to the days of gloom from 1945 until the end of the last season –True Blue, Lunar Board.

February 7, 152. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s game with Leicester City, at Goodison, on Saturday will definitely take place, unless of course, there is any general directive to the contrary regarding football later. This seems unlikely however in view of the F.A. and Football league announcement. For this important fixture Everton return to their normal formation. Parker’s suspension has expired and his resumption at inside left allows Farrell to drop back to right half to the exclusion of Grant. Teams; Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Lello; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington. Leicester City; Anderson; Lever, Jackson; Baldwin, Gillies, Ling; Griffiths, Worthington, Hines, Rowley, Dryburgh.
Anfield Attraction
Everton Reserves, who play Liverpool at Anfield in the Central League “derby” will be;- Sagar; Saunders, Rankin; Birch, Jones, Donovan, Harris, Potts, Lewis, Cummins, Buckle.

February 8, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have a chance further to consolidate their improving position in the league table, and also to register their third successive victory against leading Second Division teams. Leicester City, their visitors, are third in the table, only two points behind the leaders. If Everton can take both points from them, then the Blues must demand serious consideration as possible promotion candidates. Leicester have been doing extremely well of late. They have accented the table steadily since the middle of October and but for a rather disastrous period at Christmas when they failed to get a point out of three matches they might today be holding the top position. Their attack is a strong and speedy until, well led by Hines with particular striking force in Arthur Rowley at inside left the younger brother of the Manchester United player. Both wings can be dangerous, particularly outside left Dryburgh and Everton’s defence will need to be on the top line all the time to hold the visiting line in check. Leicester’s defence was not particularly outstanding in the earlier part of the season but the return after injury of former Wrexham player Jackson at left back has had a strengthening effect, and this department of the side now bears favorable comparison with any in the Second Division. Everton only need to reproduce their form against Cardiff City and Birmingham, however, to gather the points and make this a “Tale of Three Cities.” “There is renewed confidence among the players and with the Leyton Orient Cup disappointment now a thing of the past there is no reason why Everton should not continue to please their supporters with further victories. This will not be easy tomorrow by any means, but the points are there for the taking if the right tactics are adopted. Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Lindley, Lello; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington. Leicester City; Anderton; Lever, Jackson; Baldwin, Gillies, King; Griffiths, Worthington, Hines, Rowley, Dryburgh.

February 8, 1952. The Evening Express
By Pilot (Don Kendall)
The Blues will be in a “four points” game at Goodison for Leicester are three points ahead of Everton with a match in hand and are in third position. It will be a notable run if Everton can win, in successive matches, they have conquered the two leaders Cardiff City and Birmingham City, and so should be able to account for the third “City” and secure the distinction of having overcome the three top clubs in successive games.
Parker’s Return
Everton will have John Parker back at inside left so that Peter Farrell can revert to right half in place of Grant while the City will be at full strength, parading Matt Gillies their most-recent capture. Leicester have won their times away and drawn three times and the fact that they are five points better than a point a match emphasizes their skill. They have scored 53 goals against 45 by Everton and conceded 13 to 47 by the Blues, two better by Buckle and McNamara when Everton won 2-1 at Filbert Street. Everton have only to continue in the confident, progressive way as shown in the last two games to overcome tough opposition and take their advancement in the League. The Blues must not slip now that they are in a challenging position. The kick-off is 3.0 p.m. Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Lindley, Lello; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington. Leicester City; Anderton; Lever, Jackson; Baldwin, Gillies, King; Griffiths, Worthington, Hines, Rowley, Dryburgh.

February 9, 1952. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton 2, Leicester nil
By Stork
Everton have done it again. For the third time in succession they have beaten one of the leaders and must now be considered well in the promotion race. They brought off another double when beating Leicester City. Whose main fault was lack of finish. Neither side covered themselves with glory nor appeared promotion propositions, but it was a valuable win for Everton nevertheless. Everton; O’Neill, goal; Clinton and Lindsay, backs; Farrell (captain), Lindley, and Lello, half-backs; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker and Eglington, forwards. Leicester City; Anderson, goal; Lever, and Jackson, backs; Baldwin, Gillies, and King, half-backs; Grififths, Worthington, Hine, Rowley, and Dryburgh, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Peacock (Scunthorpe). At the beginning of the match there was a simple but impressive ceremony to pay tribute to the late King George V1. The band of the Liverpool Police played “Abine With Me,” then the crowd stood bareheaded for a minute silence which was followed by God Dave The Queen.” Everybody stood bareheaded, with the players referee and linesmen lined up on the half-way line. The players of course, were black armbands. This match was of paramount important to both clubs for Everton with a win could step up the ladder while Leicester, who were placed third prior to the game had a grand opportunity of consolidating their position. Everton had Parker back following his suspension and the City had Gillies their new centre half on duty.
Promising Opening
Everton opened full of promise and Fielding soon demonstrated his great ability with passes to all parts if the compass. But the City were also bright for Dryburgh sent a centre spinning over the bar with O’Neill keeping a watchful eye on the flight of the ball. In the very first few minutes, Everton had opportunities but they failed to take them. Sometimes the usual mispass, other times due to the Leicester defence. Twice McNamara was at fault in his delivery of the ball to a colleague. Lello was also in the picture with two passes and Fielding once again put the ball through the City defence, but Farrell did not get a true dig at the ball which slewed from his foot to safety.
Slithering Ball
Several players in passing found it slithering away from their foot to the most unexpected quarters Half-back King came in to meet a corner with his forehead, but he was rather too far out to have much chance. O’Neill, in conceding the corner found the ball dancing awkwardly otherwise I don’t think he would have been troubled. So far the Everton goal had not been severely tested nor for that matter had Anderson had many calls made upon him. He might have been on duty when Fielding collected a pass from Eglington and tried a quick shot but the ball passed outside the upright. The football this far had been of good quality without the necessarily zip near goal.
Hickson on Target
Hickson tried to repeat his Birmingham goal when he headed the ball over Gillies head and tried to run round him, but the City centre half was not caught that way and he swiftly lobbed the ball back to his goalkeeping, Anderson. It was immediately following this that, Everton took the lead, They had more threatening yet there did not appear to be a scoring chance when next they came into the Leicester goal area, but a mispass by Jackson saw the ball drop down to the feet of Hickson who, although badly angled, hooked the ball into the net at the 13th minute. The City retaliated with a strong attack and the Everton defence had a moment’s anxiety when the ball passed along the Leicester front line to end up over towards the far side of the goal, where Everton’s defensive challengers ultimately took possession. O’Neill twice had to catch long lobs from King at a time when the City were looking rather a menace. At this point Leicester were sounding the Everton defence and a free kick saw Rowley make a good header which O’Neill saved well and at the same time withstood a challenge from the City’s inside left.
No Appeal
Just prior to this Lindley armed the ball in the penalty area, but the referee must have decided that it was a case of ball to hand and not hand to ball for there was no whistle nor was there any appeal from the Leicester men. There was no denying that the visitors could and sis open a way for shooting chances, but near goal they were not very punishing. A corner won by Everton saw Fielding put his flag kick almost under the bar, where Anderson made a safe catch. There was a lengthy spell of midfield play with no goal incidents to follow on. Some of the movements were interesting without being able to bring the ball within shooting distance. Full back Lever tried a centre which landed over the Everton bar, and when McNamara was called upon o race for the ball he was well beaten in the final phases by Jackson.
One Hand Enough
Parker won another corner for Everton and Fielding once again put the ball close in Anderson was only able to get one hand to the ball as it passed in front of his goal, but it was good enough to save the situation for the edged it away to safely. Lindley by a quick intervention, prevented Hines from closing in for a shot, and when another corner came Everton’s way, Hickson was there with his head, but it was only a slow attempt and Anderson was able to deal with. A free kick against the City caused them a little anxiety, but the ball was cleared , and Leicester advanced on their right wing with half-back Baldwin backing-up well. But his forwards did not make much use of his promptings, and presented Everton with a goalkick. McNamara tried a shot but found its passenge blocked and he next came along with a header which bounced in front of Anderson, who however safely grabbed it. When Griffiths sent the ball hurtling into the Everton, goalmouth O’Neill and Lindley went up together. The goalkeeper got the ball but Lindley got a blow on the head and was laid out for a short while. Leicester were awarded a free kick when Lindley knocked over Hines, Gillies took the free kick but shot hit one of his own men and rebounded to safety. Everton seems to specialize in winning corners; McNamara got another but Fielding put his flag kick behind. Free kicks were a common slight and from one of them Rowley headed well over the Everton crossbar.
Finishing Touch Needed
Hickson was only just stopped in the nick of time when he was ploughing down the middle, and when Hines banged the ball in the Everton goalmouth it was fortunate there was not another Leicester man handy to apply the finishing touch for that was all that was needed. Baldwin went close when he lobbed a ball near the goal, and although O’Neill went up to it he did not make contact so that the ball just cleared the woodwork. Half-time; Everton 1, Leicester City nil.
There had been an uncommon lack of shouting in the first half, particularly on the part of Leicester. The big crowd were full of hope there would be more snap near goal and less midfield play especially where their own favorable were concerned. The first real bit of excitement in the second half was when Hickson followed up what looked to be a lost cause and which few would have bothered about persevered and actually gained possession of the ball on the right of the Leicester goal.
O’Neill’s Grand Save
He centred rather swiftly. Parker, although making a brilliant attempt to get his head to the ball just failed, so that we did not see a second Everton goal. We should have seen a Leicester goal in the next minute when Rowley, clean through the opposition and only a few yards away from O’Neill he shot straight at the goalkeeper who made a really grand save. So far the half had started off with three thrills in less than three minutes for when Everton escaped disaster they came down in formation and Fielding scooped the ball over to Hickson, who made a shot which screwed clean away from the goal right across field. Neither Hickson nor Eglington could cope with the situation as the ball flashed by them. At the other end the tension was just as high when Hines, from an angular position, produced a powerful shot which O’Neill did well to turn around his upright.
Hurt in a Tackle
McNamara and King were hurt in a tackle, the Everton man coming off worst. He resumed with a pained expression on his face and a decided limp. Nevertheless he it was who made a neat little header, which set Everton on the attack, the result of which finished in the crowd. Still we were to be served up with yet another thrill, this time in Everton’s goal area. Griffiths sent a centre right across the field to the unattended Dryburgh who from close in, should have made quite sure, and would have done had not O’Neill stuck out his let to prevent the ball entering the net. There was without doubt a shade of luck about the save. Everton hit back and McNamara tried a “possible” which went wide.
Shaky Defence
Neither side showed promotion form, for there was a shakiness about the City defence but goalkeeper Anderson could not be put in this category for he handled a Parker header with the greatest confidence. Once again the City preferred to interpass instead of making a shot. This had been one of their great failings. Hickson got the ball in the net but the whistle had clearly sounded offside.
One From McNamara
One of Everton’s best shots was made by Parker and there was not a lot of daylight between Crossbar and ball as it went over the bar. Everton had been pressing for quite a long while with an occasional raid by Leicester, but the odds on a goal always seemed to rest with the Blues and it came when Parker offered McNamara a grand and glorious chance, which the outside right took, and with a shot of terrific power he left goalkeeper Anderson helpless at the 68th minute. There was still time for the City to retrieved the position but they would have to shoot if they were to pull the game out of the fire. Goal No. 3 almost appeared on the score sheet when a free kick taken by Farrell was headed narrowly wide by Parker. At this stage Everton were playing strongly, but the Midland side were still capable of giving trouble, when Worthington gained a corner a miskick by Hines caused a good chance to pass by. Everton also had opportunities to increase their lead, particularly when Fielding put McNamara through but the wing man did not seize the opening. A fierce shot by Eglington struck Hickson in the back and almost put him down and for some minutes the Everton centre forward kept rubbing the spot with both hands.
A Narrow Squeak
The City goal had a really narrow squeak when a Hickson centre was headed downwards by Eglington and Anderson could only push the ball out back on the Eglington’s head. The Irishman tried to steer beyond the goalkeeper with his second effort, but this time the City goalkeeper made a clean and sure catch. Final; Everton 2, Leicester City 0. Official attendance 40,533.

February 9, 1952. The Liverpool Football Echo
Liverpool Res;- Ashcroft, goal; Whitworth and Moran, backs; Shepherd, Cadden, and Maloney, half-backs; Jackson, Smith, Stubbins, Rowley, and Jones, forwards. Everton Res; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Rankin, backs; Birch, Jones, and Donovan, half-backs; Harris, Potts, Lewis, Cummins, and Buckle, forwards. Referee; Mr. W. Ratcliffe, (Leek Staffs). This junior derby at Anfield drew a splendid attendance, the main attraction being the return of Albert Stubbins, who has been absent through injury for four months. Everton were hoping to complete the double. The game was fought at a cracking pace, with Everton being the more forceful in the initial stages. Ashcroft had to save two shots from Cummins and Potts. Buckle had a chance of giving Everton the lead; but when well-positioned shot well wide of the mark. Stubbins looked quite fit and fed his wings well. He went near the mark when he sent in a long range free kick, which just skimmed the crossbar. The game was full of interest with midfield play being the main feature, although Everton were slightly, the better of the argument, but found Whitworth and Moran two good defenders. Ted Sagar brought of a lovely save from Rowley after Stubbins had paved the way. In the 43rd minute Everton took the lead Lewis scoring a simple goal. Harris sustained a leg injury and was carried off the field. Half-time; Liverpool Res nil, Everton Res 1.
After the interval Harris returned with a slight Limp, but it did not prevent his sending a perfect flag kick. Liverpool were now playing better football but Rankin and Saunders were two splendid defenders. Stubbins was given little chance on account of the good play of Jones, and Sagar distinguished himself with two grand saves from Jackson and Jones.

February 11, 1952. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork
Everton 2, Blackburn Rovers 0
Everton are climbing fast. Their promotion effort is now not merely wishful thinking, but a fact. They are only three points behind the leaders. This satisfactory state of affairs has been brought about by the defeat of the three leading clubs in successive games. Their success against Leicester City was not accomplished by superlative football but they possessed something Leicester did not have the ability to put the ball into the net in other respects there was little between the two sides for Leicester were most capable in midfield. But they were atrocious sinners near goal. There was an occasion when they passed the ball right along the front line inside the penalty area without producing a shot. For two sides seeking promotion it could not be classed a brilliant display. There were palpable weaknesses on both sides mostly in the front lines. Leicester were more ones in their methods but the Everton attack had greater promise as a scoring until without being very punishing. Furthermore the Leicester defence was as sure of itself as that of Everton, who frequently had to cover up smartly.
Striking Forces
Everton were not so well served on the wing as usual and I marked Fielding and Hickson as their striking forces. It was the centre forwards enthusiasm and thrust which got him his first goal. He took a chance when full back Jackson prevented him with the ball, but the angle was so fine I did not think he could squeeze the ball home. It was a matter of inches but Hickson managed it. It was becoming common to say that Fielding was the best of the forwards. His passing in the first half hour was a joy but his promptings were not always taken up. It was cut and thrust most of the game for Leicester, with their more open ideas, worked out chances but fell to the extra pass. Hines should have scored and so should Rowley and Worthington. McNamara should have had more than the one which fell to his credit. When he did get his chance from Parker, he showed us the power of the drive. The Leicester half-backs Baldwin and King were for ever supplying their forwards with takable chances but they were refused in a most tantalizing fashion. Everton were not at the form which enabled them to bring about the downfall of Cardiff City and Birmingham City but the fact that they were able to take two goals was decisive. Lello has come back with complete confidence and the pairing of Clinton and Lindsay gave O’Neill every corner, although the Irishman proved his ability by a number of top-class saves. Since their fall to leyton Everton have not put a foot wrong. Let us hope the good work continues at Ewood Park on Saturday, when they meet the most improved side in the competition.

February 11, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The struggle for top places in the Second Division becomes tighter than ever. Picking the likely promotion pair at this stage is almost like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Never before can I recall a season when only four points divided the first 10 clubs at this comparatively late stage or when a club sixth from the bottom was only eight points behind the leaders. Notts Forest have been going great guns lately. Now they have forced themselves into joint leadership with Sheffield Wednesday and Cardiff City, with Everton, in ninth place, only free points in the rear. While Everton helped their cause by taking both points from Leicester City they were not as impressive as against Cardiff City. To be perfectly candid while either side could go up, neither struck me, on that showing, as likely to make a big splash in the higher circle. Everton were not the fluent and well-balanced side that they have been in some of the more recent games, while Leicester, though excellent in some of their approach work were sadly lacking in finishing ability. Nevertheless, Everton’s remaining programme is such that after their victories over the three leading sides there must be increasing optimism regarding, their promotion chances. All their fixtures now are with clubs below them in the table though this weeks visit to the vastly improved Blackburn Rovers will be hard job. Even Blackburn languishing at the bottom not long ago and seemingly doomed beyond hope, are quite a likely promotion prospect! It was good to see O’Neill, give another sparkling display in the Everton goal. But for goalkeeping errors and one spell when the attack lacked a spearhead, Everton today might be on a bar with the joint leaders. Hickson again proved a lively and enterprising leader, Lindley is doing splendidly at centre half, and with Lello back to his pre-injury form, Everton’s outlook today is far brighter than ever at one time looked possible.
Trip to Blackburn
Everton Shareholders Association are organizing a coach party to see the Blackburn Rovers v. Everton game on Saturday. Members wishing to go should write David Richardson, 9 Beech Green, Liverpool 12 for details.

February 11, 1952. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Minor injuries to Wally Fielding and Tony McNamara are the only “legaries” of Everton’s latest triumph, which has given them full points from the three leading clubs. Leicester City were the latest victims –by two goals at Goodison on Saturday. Fielding damaged a leg in the opening passages and this so handicapped him that it was not until the last half-an-hour that “Nobby” really swung into the game. By that time he had “run it” the knock McNamara received a kick on the leg which has given him some trouble recently, but Manager Cliff Britton takes a highly positive view about both McNamara and Fielding being fit for the trip to Blackburn Rovers.
Good Teams
At Goodison we saw two teams not only worthy of promotion but in my opinion, more capable to making a show in the First Division. I can say quite honestly that I have seen First Division clubs this season far below the standard of Everton and Leicester. Yes and I have seen more First Division games, too; Anyone who did not deem the match with Leicester a grand game of varying moods and tactics of move and counter moves can have but a limited knowledge of football. Everton were worthy of the win, although let me say at once that they did not strike their top-grade of football. There were little flaws but in general that were more effective than the City who must blame themselves for faulty tactics and lack of confidence in finishing. City gave the Everton half-backs and backs these split seconds in which to making the tackle. The Everton boys need not asked for more. That little City hesitancy helped the Blues, as witness the number of times that McNamara and Fielding particularly McNamara came right back to dispossessed an opposing forward and start a new Everton attack. This, in my opinion is one of McNamara’s great asserts. He seeks the play and is quick to wipe out any of his attacking mistakes by taking on other task. Eglington revels in such work, and I am delighted to see that John Parker is doing more and more of it and yet never to the neglect of his duties as in attacker. With Fielding always covers a bit of ground with his gralling, although as I mentioned that knock limited his mobility in this game. Everton revealed splendid defensive covering and a tenacity of tackle and intervention bound to succeed against a force refusing to follow the Everton example of accurate crossfield passing. When City did break down and barrier of field resistance they same snack up against Jimmy O’Neill at Jimmy’s brightest and best, O’Neill had no superior in the game, but with Lello and Hickson running him close. Luck helped O’Neill once when Dryburgh’s shot struck his left leg and went beyond the post but generally speaking it was good efficiently that enabled him to defy the City. Lindley had a grand game in the close tackling and interception even if he did so often take his eye off the ball for the brief but fatal moment when making his clearances. Lello has come back to his finest presinjury form, and with all his old confidence, as witness his delay to make sure of the accuracy of his diagotial pass which created the second goal. McNamara could sweep in on the pass and call on Parker. The call was not in vain, for John Willie slipped it through and McNamara pounced on it to score leisurely but surely with his right foot. Farrell and Fielding both suffered because they too often left it to each other, which reveals a lack of understanding and not unwillingness. There could be no hesitancy against this fast, strong alert City. Lindsay was too good for Griffiths and Clinton held the mastery of Dryburgh, so long as he did not allow Dryburgh on the ball. Tommy did better getting it before Dryburgh than he did getting it from Dryburgh.
That Goal
This was a really good day for Dave Hickson, and fittingly rewarded with a goal about which we shall talk for a long time. He may live to be a hundred and yet never get another like this. That Dave had the courage to try the shot speaks volumes for his earnestness and courage. Eglington’s free kick was placed to Hickson beyond the goal, but either Gillies or Jackson, who were beside Hickson, should have made it their own. Jackson tried, but Hickson’s leap just beat him to it as both had their backs to the crowd. All Dave did was to nod it downwards and he was quicker to go after it than either Jackson or Gillies. A quick pivot and wham his left foot shot flashed it into the net from the most acute angle, the ball passing behind Anderson. Truly a great effort typiest of the player whose general leadership cute flicks lobs and touches revealed his keen knowledge of the moves to suit the occasion, his thoughts, and definite ability. All this from a player still learning remember is yet another happy angury for Everton’s future.

February 14, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Rovers are The Most Improved Side in the Second Division
Ranger’s Notes
Blackburn Rovers have made two changes in their side to oppose Everton at Ewood Park on Saturday. Bill Holmes their 23-year-old amateur international centre will be playing for England against Wales at Bangor, and Glover is preferred to Bell at outside left. This will be the second time that representative needs have robbed Blackburn of the services of Holmes. He had to miss the cup-tie against Hull City a fortnight ago when he played for England against Ireland. Joe Harris is the 23-year-old former Belfast Distillery player. He made his debut for the Rovers just over a year ago and led the attacking the early part of this season until Quigley was signed from Preston. Since then he has been in the Central League side. Incidentally Quigley is now fit again and will have a run out with the Rovers’ Reserves at Goodison Park on Saturday.
Much Improved Side
Blackburn are the most improved side in the Second Division. They have been doing amazingly well during the past three months, and their signings in the earlier part of the campaign have had much to do with this improvement. Since the beginning of September, Blackburn must have laid out around £50,000 in the acquisition of outside left Glover from Luton centre half Kelly from Airdie inside left Nightingale, ex-Huddersfield centre forward Quigley of Preston, and goalkeeper Elvy, who came from Bolton Wanderers. They have certainly struck a rich vein of success since these new comers settled down. But for their shockingly bad start, which saw them with a meagre six points from the first 32 at stake, they would be riding high at the top today. I remember Manager Jackie Bestall telling me, after the Rovers had won at Goodison on October 6, that they had been playing infinitely better than their record suggested but that nothing would go right for them. Now the ball is running for them, and confidence at Ewood Park must be high. Blackburn has not been a particularly lucky ground for Everton in past years, but the Goodison club is also playing much better nowadays and may bring back a point. That would be a good performance against a side such as Blackburn are today. The Rovers team reads;- Elvy; Suart, Eckersley; Campbell, Kelly, Clayton; Wharton, Crossan, Harris, Nightingale, Glover.
Blackburn Reserves (at Goodison Park); Patterson; Gray, Roberts; Chadwick, Holliday, Bell, Anderson, Granham, Quigley, Wright, Brown.

February 15, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
When Blackburn Rovers won at Goodison Park earlier in the season all who saw them were amazed at their lowly position in the League table. On that showing they are about the best Second Division side I have seen this season. That their earlier placing was false has been adequately proved by what has taken place in the last three months. Manager Jackie Bestall’s side has been in championship form since the middle of November. Their bag of 23 League points out of a possible 28 tells its own story of a rejuvenated attack and a confident defence. Everton too, have also been playing infinitely better lately than in the earlier part of the season, and this match at Ewood Park promises to be a thriller. If Everton can win their promotion chances will be considerably enhanced but both points will take some getting, and a draw would not come amiss, all things considered. Blackburn; Elvy; Eckersley, Campbell; Kelly, Clayton, Wharton, Crossan, Harris, Nightingale, Glover. Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Lindley, Lello; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington.

February 16, 1952. The Liverpool Football Echo
Blackburn Rovers 1, Everton 0
By Stork
With vile conditions, the game was extraordinary good. The Rovers were the better side, but to judge anyone on such a turf would have been unkind. The winning goal was a shade lucky for O’Neill had just made a save when his clearance went to Harris head. Blackburn Rovers; Elvy, goal; Suart and Eckersley, backs; Campbell, Kelly, and Clayton (R.), half-backs; Wharton, Crossan, Harris, Nightingale, and Glover, forwards. Everton; O’Neill, goal; Clinton and Lindsay, backs; Farrell (captain), Lindley and Lello, half-backs; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. K.A. Collinge. (Sale).
Conditions at Blackburn were anything but pleasant. It was not until two o’clock that the match was definitely “on.” The town was enveloped in fog and visibility at noon was not more than ten yards. The ground looked soft on top with a great depth of hardness underneath. Many in the crowd were from Everton. Three train loads left Liverpool, and all were packed. This was an important match for both teams for a win for Everton would take them well up with a bright prospect of promotion. Blackburn are the most improved side in the League. Holmes was absent with tonsillitis and Quigley was having a run out in the reserve side. Everton received a great ovation when they took the field. The game was started with a white ball, but visibility was not bad. The first minute of the match showed us what to expect. Both McNamara and Lindley lost their foothold and others had spills. Everton set off through their right winger but the fall of McNamara held them up and when the Rovers attacked through their left wing they did not stay in Everton territory very long. The first real thrill came when Crossan slipped between the Everton defence and looked like scoring until O’Neill threw himself at Crossan’s feet and snatched the ball off his toes. The first shot of the game came when Clayton from well out, put the ball straight onto O’Neill’s hands after which we saw Eglington use his speed to prance round Campbell and Suart and then fail at the last ditch –the goal line. The football was entertaining and when Everton took another corner through Hickson, Farrell shot a shade too high. It was straight from this that the Rovers chalked up the first goal of the day. It was a slip by Lindley which was instrumental in making this goal possible for Wharton was able to get in this angular shot and O’Neill pushed it out, but the ball went straight to Harris head and into the net. Crossan laid on a pass which enabled Nightingale to have a snap shot, which O’Neill parried and the ball was moving slowly towards the line when the goalkeeper flung himself backwards and scooped the ball away.
“Wharton Injured
Wharton was injured in a collision with Lindsay and the referee said a few word to the Everton back while Wharton was taken to the line for treatment. He had to be carried off, but before his departure the Rovers had given the Everton defence quite a lot to do to keep their goal from falling a second time. This brought a bad feeling into the game, and Hickson came under the referee’s ban for a foul on Nightingale. Blackburn had been in command for some minutes but a sweep down the Everton right wing relieved the pressure and McNamara won a corner. When a player fell he slid for yards. Hickson charged Suart off the ball and opened the way to a possible Everton goal, for Parker was clean through but his foothold became uncertain and he can past the ball. The Rovers defence was able to close down a situation that was anything but happy for them.
Chance Missed
One could forgive mistakes today. Eckersley twice held up the Everton right wing, and Kelly gave Wharton who was off the field for ten minutes, a chance came forward, but he did not take it. Everton almost produced the equalizer when Parker was in a scorable position, but the mud had a lot to do with his failure. He tried to take the ball a little close in. Hickson was shaking them up with his aggressive policy and he was simply smothered with mud. He fought for everything, and Rovers’ defence could not allow him an inch. Everton were now doing well, but the Blackburn defence was strong. Parker was spoken to for a foul. Crossan put the ball on a plate for Wharton but the winger missed an open goal.
Half-time; Blackburn Rovers 1, Everton nil.
Clean Outfits
Nearly all the players had clean outfits when they resumed. Elvy had to reach high to collect a corner kick taken by Eglington. Blackburn came into the corner business when Eckersley pushed the ball up the line for Clayton. Harris ever beating a Lindsay lobbed the ball across the Everton goalmouth and it was going in when Clinton kicked the ball outside goal. The Rovers were going all out for another goal and nearly got it when resistance on the part of Clinton let Nightingale through. O’Neill saved a long shot from Nightingale and Crossin shot well wide from a difficult angle. The crowd of 30,000 were still asking for another goal. They had all worked well and feeling the strain. Glover and Clinton and O’Neill all went for the ball at the same time with the result that it went to Crossan and as the goal was empty the danger was obviously but the Rovers could not take advantage of it. The Rovers left wing was shaping up dangerous. Eckersley and Hickson had a duel with the honours going the England full back Eckersley went spinning along the ground to spoil his clean chance. Hickson had received few passes this half. Most of Everton’s concern was the defening the goal for Blackburn were the more dominant side and had been for some time. Final; Blackburn Rovers 1, Everton nil.

February 16, 1952. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton Res; Sagar, goal; Forshaw and Rankin, backs; Birch, Jones and Donovan, half-backs; Gibson, Potts, Lewis, Cummins, and Buckle, forwards. Blackburn Rovers Res; Patterson, goal; Gray and Roberts, backs; Chadwick, Holliday, and Bell, half-backs; Kenny, Graham, Quigley, Wright and Brown, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.S. McLaughlin (Middleton Junction). Quigley was unlucky with a pile driver that hit the woodwork. Everton were playing well and Cummins missed a great chance when well placed. It was a fast encounter and after 35 minutes Lewis headed in to give Everton the lead. Half-time; Everton 1, Blackburn Rovers nil. Everton made continual attacks, Patterson saving from Cummins and Gibson. Quigley was given little leeway by centre half Jones. Lewis added a second for Everton. Final; Everton Reserves 2, Blackburn Rovers Reserves nil.

February 18, 1952. The Liverpool Daily Post
Blackburn Rovers 1, Everton 0
By Stork
Blackburn Rovers are riding the crest of the wave and having but behind them the threat of relegation have become promotion-minded. It is difficult to believe that a few weeks ago the drop to the Third Division seemed to be imminent. A little judicious buying took them round the corner. Though they could only beat Everton by a goal, they were worthy of a more convincing victory. They were undoubtedly the better side, mostly because they adapted themselves the better to the atrocious conditions. When I trod the pitch before the game, I wondered whether the players could master such vile shaking ring conditions. Once a player got under way he could hardly stop his headlong flight. I thought the referee a little hard in some of his judgments. He took the names of two Everton players and warned several –friends and foe. When Lindsay knocked down Wharton there was an outcry, but my reading of it was that Lindsay could not check himself so crashed into the Rovers winger. Mr. Collinge of Sale, kept a strict hold of the players, but made no allowance for the conditions. Otherwise I though he refereed well. Blackburn with the confidence of many victories during the last few weeks played the football to suit the conditions. They were an enterising side, the guiding star being England full back Eckersley.
Half-back Strength.
Their half-backs were also a tower of strength, always prompting their forwards and dropping back when there was any sort of a threat from Everton’s attack with the result that Elvy in goal had a comparatively easy time. The forwards were remiss near goal; one miss by Wharton near half time will not be forgiven for a long time. I liked Crossan and Glover, but Harris who got the goal, was a disappointment. It was he-man football in every way. The tackling was stern and the play uncommonly fast, but Everton failed to reproduce their Cardiff and Birmingham form. The forwards were not together although Hickson kept the Rovers defence worried by his enthusiastic display, refusing to allow the conditions to master him. Parker would have equalized had not the mud checked his action but to be honest Everton were not worthy of victory. Mistakes there were in plenty yet all things considered there was some good combination but to be hyper-critical of any player would be unkind. The conditions were most trying and the remarkable things was that we had a game of football at all. Everything was against it, yet the players rose to the occasion manfully and without fear to provide the 30,200 spectors with a grand game. Blackburn have now won twenty-five of the last thirty points –championship form.

February 18, 1952. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton Res 2, Blackburn Res 0
Lewis proved an excellent leader for Everton in the Central League game at Goodison Park and was responsible for both his side’s goals in the 35th and 70 minutes. Quigley who never fully extended himself did not have many chances because of Jones, the home centre half, was always on the spot when any danger arose. The visitors goalkeeper Patterson, gave a good display and kept the score down with many fines saves. Gibson, the Everton right winger, was conspicuous and provided many chances.
• Everton “A” 6, South Liverpool Res 0

February 18, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The Everton team, plus Reserve Jones, Donovan, and Grant left today for a week’s rest at Harrogate. They will return to Goodison on Saturday morning for the friendly game with Blackpool. This break from normal routine was sanctioned by the board after a request from the players themselves, who felt that the change would be beneficial at this stage of the season’s programme. Nothing in the way of special training is being undertaken. The week is intended mainly as relaxation though a certain amount of keep fit will take place at a school ground borrowed for the occasion.

February 18, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
On reaching Blackburn on Saturday we found the town enveloped in fog. That was bad enough, but when I saw the pitch I could not see how it would be possible to play football on a ground which reasonable a frost bound bog rather than a football pitch. However, the referee had a run around the ground and passed it fit for football providing the fog lifted and it did lift. It needed great hearts to go out there and put in all you knew with the risk of injury, yet the 22 players gave us a show which did not seem possible. The side which mastered the conditions the better was the one most likely to win and that side was undoubtedly Blackburn Rovers, the most improved team in the Division. Their passing was more accurate, their defence had the better cover, and had there forwards been a little more steady near goal their victory would have been more complete. Everton could not produce their Cardiff and Birmingham form. They fought gallantly but the forwards were never really a menace to be stout Rovers defence, in which Eckersley the England full back was a genius. Everton were never a striking force; in defence they were strong, but the attack was usually well held by the Blackburn defence. Hickson by his dash took some holding, and Parker might have scored had the conditions not beaten him, but taken right through the forwards were in and out. Sometimes they produced nice combination but near goal were not troublesome. Blackburn’s goal was a wee bit flucky in that Lindsay’s feet shot from under him as he was going over to collect the ball –which was his – but ultimately went to Wharton whose shot was pushed out by O’Neill to the head of Harris who had nothing to do but nod it back into the empty goal. Wharton should have made it two just on the interval when he missed an open goal from a few yards out. But such misses had to be expected for to do anything accurately on such a pitch was the most amazing thing.

February 18, 1952. The Liverpool Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Fourteen Everton players today set off on a week of relaxation and tunings up at the Prince of Wales, Harrogate. The tonic should do them good after week’s of tension and hard football. Last week Skipper Peter Farrell mentioned to Manager Cliff Britton that he and the boys though a week in a new environment would do them good. Cliff agreed, and the directors immediately confirmed his recommendation so O’Neill, Clinton, Lindsay, Farrell, Lindley, Lello, Grant, Jones, Donovan, McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, and Eglington will be on holiday until Saturday’s morning when they return for the friendly with Blackpool, at Goodison Park. “This is not any special training,” said Manager Britton, “but we always like to meet the wishes of the players, and they are going away for a real rest and tonic. They have earned it, and it should do then a lot of good.” The holiday, following the one goal defeat at Blackburn, which ended the victory run, shows the good spirit at Goodison. After all, it’s only human for the best teams to lose now and again, just as it is human for teams to give an indifferent show just before reaching the heights.

February 18, 1952. Evening Express
By Radar
Everton’s defeat at Blackburn could not have happened on a better day, for the leading Second Division clubs also lost ground, and so the position is almost unchanged. The Blues are right there with an outside chance, and now the Rovers are bang in the reckoning. That is the funny thing about the Second Division. There is little or nothing in it from the top to bottom. The Rovers people described Everton as the best team seen there this season. At the same time one must say that the Rovers were full value for their victory, and that their score would have been more convincing had they revealed more accuracy and steadiness in front of goal. This applied particularly to the second half, when Blackburn stayed the pace on the treacherous surfaces much the better and during which the Everton attack simply did not function as a combined force. Before the interval there had been little to choose between the teams in a game in which the tackling was included to be over-intensive on occasions. In fact, had the ball run more kindly for Hickson and Parker, I am sure they would have wiped out the effects of the goal headed home by Harris in the 14th minute, a goal which in the end proved decisive. “Undoubtedly Blackburn had the “breaks” so far as the running of the loose ball was concerned, but I must admit that I was rather disappointed at the lack of urgency and fire on the part of Everton during the last half-hour. Only one goal behind, they were well in the game with a chance but they seemed to concentrate more on preventing the Rovers from adding to their score than striking blows on their own behalf. To my mind, Farrell was Everton’s outstanding individual man. No one could have tried harder to help his forward colleagues with the need for action but the respond was negliable. Parker, after a different first half, lost his accuracy in distribution, and the fleet footed Eglington suffered accordingly. Fielding was for the most part bogged down by the conditions and McNamara was unfortunate enough to find himself up again Bill Eckersley at the peak of his form. Eckersley’s was a flawless display and such was his mastery of the conditions that I doubt whether any winger would have worried him unduly on the day. Hickson had of plough a lone furrow throughout the second half and his lack of support undoubtedly made things easier for Kelly. Both Lindley and Lello found it difficult to turn and recover on the mud, and Lindsay and Clinton were a mixture of good and bad. “O’Neill, who could not be blamed for the goal, had few shots to save. This Blackburn side is chock full of confidence itself at the moment and may well come into promotion reckoning at the right time. Everton can do much better than this.”

February 20, 1952. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Leslie Edwards
Hunter Hart a fine Everton half-back whose playing career with the club extended from 1922 to 1930, collapsed and died suddenly in the engine room of a ship he was helping to repair at Ellesmere Port yesterday. He was 54. His home was at Knutsford Green, Moreton.
Hart joined Everton from Airdrieonians in 1922 and was a member of the championship side in 1927-28 when Dean set up his record of 60 goals in a season. Though only one of his eyes was sound, his play either at wing half or a centre half, was consistently good. His tackling was especially sharp and his production of the ball for the forwards was on typically thought-out Scottish lines. Hunter was as wily as he was strong on the ball, too, and I recall that two Liverpool players at Anfield (one of them the mammoth Clarke) once tried to sandwich Hart and found him “missing” at the moment he was to be victim. Clarke suffered injury in collision with a member of his own side and his career was virtually finished. Landmarks in Hart’s career at Everton were 1922, arrived from Airdrieonians, 1926, now captain, asks for transfer 1930, appointed junior coach and scout 1931, appointed to take charge of the Central league team 1936, appointed coach, than assistant secretary to Mr. Theo Kelly; 1941 appointed secretary-manager to Airdrieonians. After finishing with soccer he joined Messrs Grayson, Rollo and Clover as a marine-engine, fitter. His son who favours the Rugby Union code has played for Cheshire this season.

February 21, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
For their friendly game with Blackpool at Goodison Park on Saturday, Everton bring in Jones at centre half for Lindley, who is being rested. Blackpool will send their strongest side, including Matthews. Teams;- Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Jones, Lello; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington. Blackpool; Farm; Shimwell, Garrett; Johnston, Hayward, Kelly; Matthews, Taylor, Mortensen, Brown, Parry.

February 22, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have filled in the blank in their League fixture tomorrow with an attractive game against Blackpool at Goodison Park which should pull in a good crowd. Blackpool are always an entertaining side to watch and the exhibition nature of the match will allow both teams to indulge their individuality to the full. With nothing at stake this game should provide a feast or really good football. I am advised by Everton who have confirmed the fact from Blackpool that Matthews is a definite starter and barring any unforeseen happening –that the Blackpool side will be their strong League team;- Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Jones, Lello; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, Eglington. Blackpool’ Farm; Shimwell, Garrett; Johnston, Hayward, Kelly, Matthews, Taylor, Mortensen, Brown, Perry.

February 23, 1952. The Liverpool Football Echo
His Witchcraft Baffled Everton
Goal Spell
Everton 1, Blackpool 2
By Stork
Everton; O’Neill, goal; Clinton and Lindsay, backs; Farrell (captain), Jones and Lello, half-backs; McNamara, Fielding, Hickson, Parker, and Eglington, forwards. Blackpool; Farm, goal; Shimwell and Garrett, backs; Johnston, Hayward, and Kelly, half-backs; Matthews, Taylor, Mortensen, Brown, and Perry, forwards. Referee; Mr. W.R. Evans (Liverpool). Considering that this was only a friendly at Goodison Park there was an excellent attendance –such is the drawing power of Stanley Matthews. Both teams fielded their League sides. Matthews started one of his famous dribbles, and the crowd laughed as he beat his man after taking the ball almost under his opponent’s nose. He showed wonderful control. Then came an Everton advance and Farm had to reach to save a Parker shot.
Everton Confident
Blackpool were producing some lovely passing movements, but the Everton defence met them with confidence. Most goal incidents had taken place in front of the Everton goal and O’Neill had to move petty spiritedly to keep out a shot from Taylor. At the half-hour Blackpool scored, it was a bonny goal in the making and the scoring Kelly put up a lovely ball for Perry, whose centre went past O’Neill and on to Mortensen, who headed the ball into the net. Within four minutes Everton had equalized through Eglington who may have been a little fortunate to beat Farm but one had to give credit to the work of Parker which led to the equalizer. When Matthews came over to the right wing Lindsay went with him and incidentally beat him.
Spanking Save
One of the nicest moves went to the credit of Everton when Fielding and McNamara got together to work out a chance for Hickson. The young centre-forward took the opportunity with hesitation and Farm had to bring off a spanking save. Just before the interval Eglington had to leave the field with what appeared to be an injured eye received in a collision with Shimwell. Half-time; Everton 1, Blackpool 1.
Eglington resumed with his cheekbone plastered, and Everton went into the attack immediately. Hickson had made some grand passes to keep his line moving smoothly.
Matthews Failed But –
Matthews again demonstrated his lack of shooting ability after he had beaten Lindsay and drawn O’Neill out of goal. His attempted shot slewed over to Perry, who centred close into goal for Mortensen to head into the back of the net just as he had done with his first goal. O’Neill in going out to cut out a Perry centre nearly got too far under the ball but was able to reach back and make his catch before that dangerous head of Mortensen got to work. Both sides were indulging themselves in a lot of by-play but it was plain that neither intended to out everything they had into this game, and Mortensen shot over the bar from just inside the penalty area. He showed his own disgust with a shake of the head. Everton made a strong rally in the hope of getting the equalizer, and Hickson had bad luck with a header, which passed across the face of the Blackpool goal. Final; Everton 1, Blackpool 2.

February 23, 1952. The Liverpool Football Echo
Stoke Res;- Wakinson, goal; Watkin and Mulholland, backs; Hampson, Brown, and Brookes, half-backs; Siddall, Bowyer, Pickup, Johnston, and Woodall, forwards. Everton Res; Dunlop, goal; Forshaw, and Rankin, backs; Birch, Woods and Melville, half-backs; Gibson, Potts, Lewis, Cummins, and Buckle, forwards. Referee; Mr. N.C. Downes (Birmingham). In the first half, which had few thrills or cultured football, Everton’s attack offered greater scoring threats and a centre from Buckle dropped on to the crossbar. Cummins after neatly trickling three Stoke defenders worked himself a perfect opening from which he shot wide, but two minutes before the interval Lewis scored for Everton. Half-time; Stoke Nil, Everton 1. Sustained attacks by Stoke had the Everton defenders in difficulties in the second half when Bowyer shot inches wide and then forced Dunlop to save brilliantly. Everton forwards were well held.

February 25, 1952. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 1, Blackpool 2
By Stork
Friendly game may lack competitive spirit, but they do provide us with something which is missing from most games we see during the season –artistic football. For that reason alone the match at Goodison Park which Blackpool won 2-1 must go down as a really attractive display of the arts. Both teams fielded their strongest side and although it was obvious that the game lacked “bite” it gave us more lovely movements. Further we had two headed goals by Mortensen, flashes of Stan Matthews wizardly and the scheming play of little Taylor and the speed of Perry. Everton tried to match the football of their rivals and so we got a sight of what football really can be –an entertainment. Blackpool won because they were more capable of taking chances.
Matthews Quiet
Matthews is still a drawing power, I would wager that most of the 28,000 people came along to see the “Wizard of Dribble” perform, and he provided flashes of brilliance. Still taken all through, he was uncommonly quiet. Lindsay played him well. “Be first” was the Scots policy and it was very successful. Blackpool played more delicious football; ball on the ground; nothing hurried and they proved superior to Everton, who put more “devil” into their play. Hickson’s enthusiasm could not b curbed. It might have been a League match so far as he was concerned. He made some perfect passes. Parker was another Everton man who looked good against senior opposition.

February 25, 1952. The Liverpool Daily Post
Stoke Res 0, Everton Res 2
Two goals by centre forward Lewis gave Everton Reserves a well-merited victory in the Central league game at Stoke on Saturday, but neither side touched the heights and constructive attacking movements were rare. Everton had more craft and purpose in attack. Lewis apart from a tendency to fall into Stoke’s offside trap, was thrustful and persistent and good support came from Gibson and Buckle on the wing. Birch was the most constructive half-back.

February 25, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
There was a cheer at Goodison Park when Stan Matthews tripped on to the field, for this was the magnet which drew 28,000 people to see a friendly game of football. The crowd stayed to the end to see this excellent display of Soccer art and they were not disappointed by what they saw. Nowadays football is so hurried and so often devoid of the skilful side of the game that it was enjoyable to see football as it should be played. No bitterness; no grim tackling and the only casualty was a blow on the cheek bone for Tommy Eglington. Matthews was obviously at “half-cock” the ball and his ability to beat his man with that ease and grace which has made him so famous. Lindsay never left him and once the pair were seen over on the opposite wing challenging each other. Wouldn’t there have been a roar had Matthews scored a goal. He should have done after he beaten all others, but he slewed his shot wide of the mark. His effort however ended in a goal, for Perry flung the ball to Mortensen’s head and it was in the net for the second goal. Eglington scored Everton’s goal but the First Leaguers were on top most times. Everton pulled out some nice football ware to counteract Blackpool so we had a pleasant afternoon. Hickson was full of the enthusiasm of youth and his tireless efforts often caused the Blackpool defence some worry, in the main it was football for football’s sake. Mortensen’s two goals –headers- were the result of Perry’s centres and “Morty’s” positional sense.

February 28, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Forward “Switch” Against Queen’s Park Rangers
Everton have taken a leaf out of Liverpool’s book in that they have made a “big switch” in their forward line for the match with Queen’s Park Rangers at Goodison Park on Saturday. Furthermore Mr. Cliff Britton has decided it is high time to give George Cummins a further test in the senior side. He has had only one outing in the first team and that was against Donacster Rovers on Christmas Day. Although there are only two actual changes from the team which lost to Blackburn Rovers a fortnight ago, there are four positional alterations. Tommy Jones returns to centre half in place of Lindley after an absence of seven weeks apart from last week’s friendly with Blackpool. Otherwise the defence stands firm, there has been a big reshuffle in the forward line. Eglington and Hickson being the only two to refrain their original positions. Wally Fielding takes over the outside right position and Parker moves over with him to make up the partnership. Outside right is no new experience for Fielding, for he had quite a spell there last season, and he dropped into the position like a duck takes to water and he had many good games as a winger. Cummins is of course, a regular Central league player, and he has been displaying fine form in the “stiffs” who are on top of the league table. Those who see him fairly frequently tell me that he is bang on form, and has earned his second run with the first eleven. Cummins who joined Everton from a Dublin amateur club in November 1950, has taken part in 26 reserves games and scored four goals. John Willie Parker is proving to be quite a utility man, for his appearance at inside right (he has not played there before for the senior X1) means that he has now played in four different forward positions since making his debut last march, outside right being the only place in which he has not played.
Rangers Changes
Queen’s Park Rangers have not included Oscar Hold, their new forward from Everton, to play in the match against his old club at Goodison park on Saturday. It is felt that he is in need of match practice. The defence is unaltered, while the attack shows four changes, two of them positional. Bert Addinall has recovered from his indisposition and returns to lead the forward line to allow Conway Smith to revert to inside left for Stewart. Waugh is switched from outside left to the other wing, and the vacancy on the left wing is taken by John McKay, whose last League match was against Coventry on August 25. Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Fielding, Parker, Hickson, Cummins, Eglington. Q.P.R;- Gullan; Powell, Ingham; Heath, Spence, Farrow; Waugh, Gilberg, Addinall, Smith, McKay.

February 29, 1952. The Liverpool Echo
Stork’s Notes
Tomorrow’s visitors to Goodison Park, Queen’s Park Rangers are one of the lowly ones; none could be lower, in fact, for they are bolstering up the remainder of the League. They will naturally put up a grim fight am an effort to get away from the dreaded area but with ground advantage the odds should be on Everton. Queen’s have a poor away record, for they have won only twice on foreign soil and have scored only 13 goals, being debited with 35 goals against which does not encourage one to think that they can lower the “Blues” colours at Goodison Park. We have suffered some shocks at Goodison Park during the last few seasons, but I do not anticipate one from tomorrow’s meeting for Everton are definitely on the upgrade. To lose at Blackburn was no disgrace, particularly as the conditions were all against good football. Everton field a much changed X1 and I expect them to enhance their promotion bid with a convincing win over the London club and thus atone for their half at Sheherd’s Bush earlier in the season. That game was a thriller with eight goals equally divided. Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Fielding, Parker, Hickson, Cummins, Eglington. Q.P.R;- Gullan; Powell, Ingham; Heath, Spence, Farrow; Waugh, Gilberg, Addinall, Smith, McKay.

February 29, 1952. The Evening Express
Queen’s Park Rangers will tomorrow pay their first ever visit to Goodison Park, to meet Everton as part of the Merseyside v. London duels. This game provide a glorious chance for the Blues and Reds to have their seventh celebration Saturday on which both clubs have won this season. This will be the third trip to the city for the Rangers, for in 1914 they played at cup-tie at Anfield and it was Cup business which took them to South Liverpool, and a victory just before the war. It will be the fourth clash between the Blues and Rangers and so far Everton have not struck their colours, for they won both cup-ties (in London) and drew there on October 13, eight goals being shared. Still seeking that extra effectiveness in attack, the Blues introduce for the first time in a home League game 20-year-old Irishman George Cummins to inside left, and for the first time will have a Fielding –Parker combination on the right wing. Cummings has only to reproduce his Central league form (he has been one of the stars of that side) to establish himself right away, while Fielding proved last season that the open spaces on the wing enhance his value. It was as much Fielding’s grand wing work as anything which gave the Blues that thrilling victory run midway through last season. Wally has all the attributes, although we still want from him these goals he used to score so frequently. Hickson and Eglington should thrive on the Cummins brand of service; in fact the whole attack bristkles with possibilities. Tommy Jones, now recovered from injury plays his first game of 1952 taking over from Lindley at centre half. This is a grand chance for the Blues to take another vital step nearer promotion for the Rangers are bottom of the League, their only away wins being at Luton and Swansea. Everton have won three, drawn and lost one of 1952 games and I anticipate they will keep their 100 per cent League record at Goodison since the turn of the year. Everton; O’Neill; Clinton, Lindsay; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Fielding, Parker, Hickson, Cummins, Eglington. Q.P.R;- Gullan; Powell, Ingham; Heath, Spence, Farrow; Waugh, Gilberg, Addinall, Smith, McKay.






February 1952