Everton Independent Research Data


April 2, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 33)
Meeting between the reserves of Everton and Liverpool are always productive of keenly contested games, and with the weather all in favour of a fine struggle it was not surprising to find a large crowd at Goodison Park last evening when the teams met in the first of their Lancashire Combination fixtures of the season. The attendance's was very satisfactory indeed, there being ten or twelve thousands onlookers who were rewarded by witnessing a well contested game, in which Everton proved the superior side, the “Blues” winning by two goals to one. The fixture had a great bearing on the championship, for both sides were in the running for honours. The defeat last evening rather puts the Livers out of court however, and Everton are now well on the way to attain their desire with 46 points for 33 matches. The game itself was well contested, all though, but as is generally the case in these local battles, the play never reached a high standard. The backs on both sides for a long time held the upper hand, and the goalkeeper did not have a hard time of it, although Sloan was kept pretty well employed in the second half. Chances, however, were missed frequently, the Reds forwards being the greatest sinners in this respect. Parkinson missed very badly on two occasions when he had a clear course. The Everton forwards were undoubtedly the more dangerous lot, and Lacey tested Sloan more than once, when another drive from the same player just missed the bar. Mountford was also prominent with a couple of good shots, but Liverpool rarely tested Berry, and at the interval neither side had scored. The second portion saw the teams fighting desperately hard for the lead, and the excitement was intense. Soon after resuming the Liverpool men missed a great chance for Uren, who had been playing an intelligent game, drove across a beautiful centre, but Hunter and Parkinson both missed the ball as it went across the goal, Hunter in his anxiety to score, lung himself headlong into the net. Another similar opportunity was not accepted, and the Reds, paid the penalty for there missed chances. When play settled down the Everton men proved the cleverer team, and after Sloan had served a grand shot from Lacey the Irish international scored a brilliant goal. With his back to Sloan he wheeled round and beat the custodian with a fine drive. Buck them ran right in, but shot weakly. Clever work by Speakman resulted in Liverpool equalising, the winger sending in a well judged centre for Parkinson to touch the ball past Berry. Everton came again near the finish, and Mountford centred brilliantly. Sloan caught the ball, but fell on his knees, and Jones put the leather into the net, this being his 33 rd point in the combination. Liverpool tried hard towards the close, but they could not score. Everton were slightly the superior team. They held an advantage forward, Lacey and Mountford being the most prominent, the Irishman in particular putting in some very clever work. Berry did not have much to do, Meunier and Stevenson defending well. Rafferty was perhaps the best of the halves, although Adamson was always prominent. On the Liverpool side Crawford stood out as a fine defender, whilst Peake was always in the picture. Uren proved the best of the visiting forwards. Some of his work being very clever, whilst Speakman showed much promise. On the whole however, the Everton backs had the measure of their opponents. The following were the teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Jones White, and Mountford, forwards. Liverpool- Sloan, goal, West, and Crawford, backs, Robinson, Peake, and J. Hughes, half-backs, Speakman, Hunter, Parkinson, Goode, and Uren forwards.

April 3 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The climatic conditions at Goodison Park on Saturday afternoon were bad enough, and the playing pitch was none of the best, but the spectators expected to have better fare provided for them than was the case in the return game between Everton and Bradford City. It was about as feeble an exhibition for League teams as could well be imagined. Such displays are certainly not calculated to maintain interest until the end of the last dying season. True Everton were weakened in attack by the absence of Sharp and Freeman, but this was no excuse for wretched forward play. Bradford City were not much better, but as they managed to find the net once they had the supreme satisfaction of securing a couple of points, which may prove of infinite value to them in their efforts to avoid relegation to the Second Division of the League.

It was through no great cleverness on the part of the Yorkshiremen that they won the game; rather was it due to the amazing weakness of their opponents. Indeed the shot with which Whittingham scored during the first half was really the only decent attempt throughout a most disappointing match. Whatever credit there was must be accorded to the representatives of Bradford City, for it must be borne in mind that they had to play for a considerable portion of the second half without the help of Farrer, who had to be assisted off the field on account of injury. Jack Taylor stood out among his confreres for good solid work. Time after time he was in the thick of the fray, and it was largely due to his efforts that Bradford City's success was not more pronounced. As for the Everton forwards, they were unable to produce anything in the nature of combination. The left wing in particular was practically useless. Lacey in the centre failed to justify his selection for that position. Coleman could do nothing right, and the only man in the front line to exhibit any dash was Buck, although he was by no means a great success. Adamson did not do badly, but nether Balmer or MaConnachie was up to concert pitch. For old association's sake one was pleased to see Harold Hardman sprinting along the right in the style which made him so popular at Goodison-Park. He and Whittingham were the best forwards on the field, but, although they won, Bradford City's exhibition suggested that they will have a difficulty in maintaining their place in the premier League. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor (Captain), and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Coleman, Lacey, White, and Barlow, forwards. Bradford City: - Spndiff, goal. Torrance, and Farres, backs, Robinson, Comrie, and Hanger, half-backs, Bartlett, Whittingham, Hart, O'Rourke, and Hardman, forwards. Referee J.W. Bailey.

Athletic News - Monday 05 April 1909
Everton 0, Bradford City 1
By Junius
Whittingham scored for Bradford City.  That is about the only item worthy of being recorded in the game between Everton and the team from Valley Parade, which produced the worst display of football seen at Goodison Park for many moons.  Neither side showed even the elementary notions of combination or incisiveness near goal, and although the visitors won, it was not because they were the better team.  As a matter of fact there was nothing to lead one to a decision as to which was the superior side; both were so feeble and wretchedly weak in their endeavours, and infinitely crude in their movements, that to designate either by the term moderate would rank of heresy.  I have not witnessed such an invertebrates performance this season, for it was utterly devoid of cleverness, and I do not suppose more than one goal would have been scored had the teams dispensed with their respective custodians.  Whatever possessed Everton to play Lacey at centre forward I cannot imagine.  The Irish youth is a clever inside right, and has even figured to advantage on the extremity of the front rank, but I have never known him to occupy the post of pivot in the attacking line.  Wild kicking and aimless lunging we saw in abundance, but intelligent football was entirely lacking, the characteristic features being haphazard footwork, disjointed attempts at combination, and insipid advances in which both sides strenuously contended for lowest place.
Growls Galore
I can scarcely find one redeeming feature about this flabby exhibition, which I presume will have to be considered in the records as a game of football.  The Everton forwards were as helpless as a rudderless vessel, for Lacey never gained touch with the play, and yet I know he is a skillful performer.  White endeavoured to get the left wing moving, but he received absolutely no support from Barlow, who along with Coleman was completely out of the picture.  Buck occasionally put in good work, but it was a sorry show this forward line gave, and I can only credit them with having good intentions.  They attempted little and accomplished less, but it must ever remain a mystery how they managed to scramble through ninety minutes’ warfare, with such a barren result to offer.  In the half-back division, Taylor and Adamson stood out prominently, simply by reason of the fact that they occasionally gave evidences of real ability.  Harris was not too successful as usual, and there was practically no sympathy between the intermediate trio and the forward quintet.  Nor was the Everton defence above suspicion, for the one shot which defeated Scott seemed by no means difficult to clear.  Yet this preserved the harmony of the picture. 
Tender Tykes
I should not like to be called upon to offer a tangible reason why Bradford City won this match.  They got the ball into the net once, which is more than Everton achieved; but beyond this statement I do not care to venture.  Harold Hardman was the keenest and most effective forward on the field, but the City front rank did not impress me as a convincing combination, one with a set purpose and a plan of campaign.  Seldom was Scott troubled, and the two goalkeepers indeed were treated with a leniency and humane consideration that was touching to behold.  The half-backs were plodders, and Torrance was a veritable whirlwind at full back.  He was there to kick the ball, and as a general rule he did so; where the leather went of how it reached its destination were mere details scarcely worthy of note.  Farren was the better back, and it was a great misfortune for Bradford, when early in the second half, he had to be carried off the field injured.  But although Robinson filled the vacancy created, and the City played four forwards from that time forth, the men from Bradford never seemed like losing their lead.  Thus the Tykes received two points, Everton sustained a reverse, and the spectators obtained nothing for their money.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (R.), Macconnachie; Harris, Taylor, Adamson; Buck, Coleman, Lacey, White and G.H. Barlow.  Bradford City; Spendiff; Torrance, Farren; Robinson, Comrie, Hanger; Bartlett, Whittingham, O’Rourke, McDonald, and H.P. Hardman.  Referee; Mr. J.W. Bailey, Leicester. 

April 5, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The 38 th annual encounter between the Associations football representatives of England and Scotland, which was played at the Crystal Palace on Saturday, was invested with additional interest by the presence throughout the whole course of the game of the Prince of Wales. A crowd of 30,000 witnessed England winning by two goals to nil. The Line did not play to Freeman with the result that the Everton man had no opportunity of proving his scoring abilities.

April 5 1909. The Liverpool Echo.
After weeks of waiting and some anxious moments, Everton have signed up Robert Frewen Turner, a young fellow, who is twenty-one years, and great football possibilities. Turner was loth to leave his own fireside, as it were, and, as is known fully now, said he would only do so if paid well, ignoring all the rules of the Football Association, as to the £10 limitation. We all make mistakes, Turner has made one which has unlike the hundreds previously committed by seasoned players, been discovered. That is Turner's misfortune. This penalty is a heavy one, when he makes his appearance at Walton he can be assured, as all players can, of a hearty welcome. In fact, the crowd will look upon him with such generosity of heart in view of recent happenings. He weights 11 st and stands 5ft 8ins in height. On Saturday, Mr. C.Cuff informed me he was at Leicester, and duly obtained the signature, and he adds that Turner, although Fosse lost, was again the outstanding man on the side. If selected he will of course play in the great local “Derby” between Everton and Liverpool on Friday next. Turner is a winger of class, too good a man to play in second League football, and of course the Fosse are going back to the second division, Everton's new winger was, the other day, declared by a well known critic to be the best out-side left in England, and while this may be a slight exaggeration, there is no doubt, that in class company, Turner might attain absolute brilliance. He is not of big built, but is just the size which full backs find so worrying. He is fast, and centres very accurately. That be knowns where the goal lies is shown by the fact that he has three times found the net this season, and it must be remembered that a winger as a rule are not guilty of shaking the rigging. Nevertheless Turner's stering point is his centering.

Everton Reserves at Pwllheli
April 15 1909. The Welsh Coast
By Ricardo
The name Everton has a good football ring about it, and naturally the visit of their reserves team to Pwllheli on Saturday attached a big muster of enthusiasts. The teams were;- Everton; Mercer, goal; Osborne and Balmer, backs; Michads, Armstrong, and Cooke, half-backs; Evans, Chickwood, Kirby, Hudson and Keeley, forwards. Pwellheli;- Bob Williams, goal; Wm Thomas and G. Evans, backs; W. Thompson, Bob Ellis and Bob Jones, half-backs; Mosley Jones, W. Griffith, Johnnie Williams, and Ben Evans, forwards. Mr Edwards, Menai Bridge was the referee. The visitors who were veterans on the football field, started attacking the Hellian goal, but the Penquins' backs stood their ground –more, they gave the leather to the forward line, and then matters looked dangerous for the visitors. For a moment the homesters were frustrated in their movements, but R.D. Roberts raced up the right wing, passed to the centre nicely, and J. Williams placed the sphere gracefully in the net. This was an unexpected piece of good luck for the Penquins, and it was all the more appreciated. The moment the ball was in motion again I thought R.D. Roberts would have repeated his smart performance, but Keely frustrated him. The visitors found it necessary to keep an extra eye on R.D. Roberts, who had the war-spirit in him. The visiting forwards did not hesitate attacking when they got the chance, but found Bob Jones, Rhos, G. Evans, and Thompson on the quivive. Ben Evans, the home outside left, through smart as usual, had not much to do, and Bob Ellis, always a power in any team, somehow could not get himself into trim. Moseley's little moves were brushed aside by the opposing forwards, and he did not get much of his own way during the game. A foul against Everton enabled the Helians to get up, and almost in. Instanter the home goal, became the objective of the visiting forwards, but Rhos saved finely. A foul was given, against Penquins close to the danger zone, and Cooke converted. Everton got a corner, things were serious for the homesters, Kirby fought determinedly at close quarters, and he was rewarded with a fine goal. There were hopes the next moment that J. Williams would equalizer matters. But Osborne and Balmer were too strong and firm for him.

Evertonians' Pretty Football
The right wing of the Evertonians indulged in clever passes, which was much admired. Bob Jones was frequently in the thick of the fight, and as often was cheered for the way he took the ball from his opponents' toes. At last matters came to a head within a minute of the whistle h=going. The ball was confined within a very narrow circle close to Pwellheli goal, and Cooke scored. The second half was taken up with much erratic play. A collision between Ben Evans and Cooke resulted in the latter being incapacitated. The Evertonians could not get their way as Moseley, J. Williams, Bob Ellis and Ben Evans, were dangerous quartette, and there was R. D. Roberts who would not be trusted for an instant y the visiting forwards. The first line of the Evertonians were pit-a-pot on the ball, and showed many new points in strategy to the homesters. Their kicks were solid and certain, especially at long range. Ben Evans was starved and was offered a top-coat. Nothing of note took place now, and the game closed; Everton 2, Pwellheli 1.

April 10, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Local football enthusiasts had a great attraction yesterday when the two rival clubs met in the return League encounter at Goodison Park. The struggles of Everton and Liverpool are always a source of unbounded interest, and on these occasions' partisanship runs exceeding high, but when the meeting occurs on Good Friday; football excitement in the city is at an unusually high pitch. So it was yesterday. The spacious ground at Goodison Park presented a very animated appearance. Many thousands of football followers frantically struggled for admission, and the officials at the entrances had a remarkably busy time. At the time for the kick off the enclosure presented a very imposing spectacle, every nook and corner apparently being occupied, and spectators were still pouring in. There were close on 50,000 spectators present, and the gate receipts were £1,290. Although this is not a record for an Everton and Liverpool match, it is very near it.

On the Everton side Turner, the ex-Leicester fosse player, who is now on the “Blues” list, made his first appearance. The Liverpool team had also undergone one or two changes, places being found for Uren at outside left, and Crawford at left back, alterations which were noted with special interest.

It was a game, which bristled with good points, and in which both sides were hard triers, and very often the football was of a high-class order. Such a wide margin as five goals to nothing with which Everton managed to win, was not generally expected, although no one will begrudge the Blues their success, as they earned it by a style and standard of play which was superior to that of Liverpool. There was scarcely a weak spot in the home eleven, all of whom, worked together with thorough understanding, with the result that for the greater part of the game they more than held their own. The front line were oftentimes brilliant, and made an emphatic impression on the Liverpool defence which was more confident and sounder than usual. Everton had the promising lead of two goals at the interval. Coleman obtaining the first and Freeman the second. The resourceful Everton centre had thus not only the satisfaction of improving his record of goals for his club this season, but for the first time of making a tangible impression on the custodianship of the international Hardy. Things went in favour of the Blues in the second half, Freeman being responsible for one of the goals, whilst White and Turner secured the other two. Evertybody was delighted with Turner's display. In him, Everton have apparently got a very useful asset. He was ever on the quiuvive, and he put in some of the loveiest centres imaginable. He and White were a very fine wing. The half-backs were exceedingly safe, Taylor never sparing himself, whilst Makepeace was nearly always too smart for Goddard. As regards Liverpool there were some very good individual efforts, but there was a lack of finish in front of goal, and an inclination to finesse too much with the ball instead of parting with it. This often lost them much ground. Uren gave a good display and centred effectively. The defence worked hard all through, and in this department Crawford did some sterling work, not only saving the situation for his side several times, but tackling with good methods and effect. But no one on the Liverpool side did better than Raisebeck, who worked very hard all through, and shared the half-back honours with Taylor.

Liverpool won the toss, and Everton started. The first thing of note was a movement by the Liverpool right wing and centre, in which Robinson had a good chance, but shot weakly, the ball going outside. Everton did the bulk of the pressing for the first five minutes, but they found the Liverpool defence very sound. The attack continued to come from the Blues, and Sharp exhibited smart work. Raisebeck putting into touch. Uren was responsible for a useful run, but the ball was cleared. Following a free kick against Chorlton, Sharp got hold and centred. Crawford missed the ball, but Raisebeck cleared. Coleman was then brought down just outside the penalty area, but the ball was sent wide of the gaol. For the next few minutes Liverpool attacked, but the defence prevailed, and clever work on the part of the home line resulted in Hardy saving from Turner. Liverpool retaliated, but Hewitt got offside. Play settled down in the Liverpool half for some minutes, Hardy saving a dropping shot from Sharp. Robinson passed well to Goddard, but the outside man on being tackled by MaConnachie sent considerably wide of the mark. Freeman made a tame effort to get through from Turner's centre, but Hardy cleared, and Liverpool went right away, Scott saving grandly from Robinson. Makepeace, who put Freeman in possession, took up the goalkeeper's clearance. The centre cleverly tipped the ball to Coleman, who ran though, and Hardy running out, the inside right tipped the ball into an open goal, giving Everton the lead 15 minutes from the start. Liverpool made a great effort to draw level, but Goddard shot over the bar when in a good position. White and Turner were conspicuous for nice combined movements, and Hardy had to save from the new forward. Liverpool lost nothing for the want of trying, and when Hewitt shot in a favourable position the whistle went for some infringement. Immediately after this Goddard shot over the bar from a fine centre by Uren. This was followed by a fine bit of play by Hewitt, who swung the ball out to Uren, but the latter's centre was cleared by Balmer. Crawford, who got in a long shot, which Scott saved robbed Coleman, and soon afterwards MaConnachie emulated the Liverpool back's performance by forcing Hardy to clear a long drive. Later Crawford pulled up Freeman when the Everton centre looked like going through on his won, and he subsequently dispossessed Sharp when the latter seemed in a likely position for scoring. For some time Everton were the more dangerous, but Liverpool presented a stubborn defence, and the pressure was eventually relieved through Freeman getting offside. The Reds had a turn, but Harris headed away Gooduard's centre, whilst Taylor twice pulled up Hewitt. Liverpool's centre forced a corner off Makepeace, from which Raisebeck headed in, the ball going out side off a defender. Taylor cleared the second flag kick, but Goddard took the ball back, and Howitt headed wide. The Reds were still playing hard, and it was only a sound defence, which kept them at bay. The Blues had an opening, and Freeman sent in, Hardy clearing. Following a collision with Chorlton, Turner retired, and afterwards Crawford was hurt in a collision with Freeman, but was able to resume. Turner was only away a couple of minutes, and during his absence Hewitt just missed with a fine screw shot. Turner signalised his reappearance with a fine centre, which looked very dangerous until Raisebeck cleared. Uren was cheered for a fine effort, which led to a corner. Goddard once more missing. In 35 minutes, Everton went further ahead. Freeman snapped up a pass, and beating Crawford, ran well into goal. Hardy came out, but as he collided with the Everton centre, Freeman touched the ball into the net. Freeman, Hardy, and Crawford were all on the ground, and the Liverpool goalkeeper evidently received a bad shaking, as he had to receive attention before he was able to resume. Freeman in this success not only added to his goal record but the first time scored against hardy. Liverpool retaliated. Hewitt missing with a good long drive, but Everton were the more dangerous side, and in the opposing defence Chorlton and Raisebeck performed well. A fine run by Goddard should have led to Liverpool scoring, but Hewitt with a grand opening responded with only a poor effort. Bradley sent wide from a corner, and then Scott cleared a header from Hewitt, following this up just on half-time by saving from Harrop. Freeman was right through, with only Hardy to beat, when the whistle sounded for the interval, the score then being Everton two goals, Liverpool nil.

Immediately on resuming Freeman ended a fine combined forward move on the part of Everton by barely shooting outside, and in less than a minute Hardy had to save from White. Liverpool new attacked in good style, and their combination at this point was very praiseworthy, Uren testing Scott with a good shot. Everton retaliated strongly and Freeman and Raisebeck had a tussle in which the Liverpool captain came off victorious, and found an opening for the Reds, but two clearances of MaConnachie neutralised matters. A fine run by Freeman looked very dangerous for Liverpool, but Chorlton robbed the Everton centre in the penalty area. Liverpool made several raids into Everton quarters, but there was a lack of finish about their work, and Turner getting away forced Hardy to gave a wonderful screw shot. Liverpool went right away, Scott clearing from Goddard, and then further fine work on the part of the Everton outside left forced Hardy to fist out. White, however, got hold, and trickling Harrop he scored with a fine drive in the top corner of the goal. Everton now led by three goals to nil, and Liverpool made a great effort to reduce the margin against them for some minutes they swarmed round the Everton goal, but MaConnachie's defence was brilliant. Once after robbing the Liverpool right wing, he put in a long shot which Hardy saved. The Reds now re-arranged their forces, Robinson going half-back, and Harrop partnering Goddard on the right. Everton, however, more than held their own, and Turner put across two grand centres which were only cleared with difficulty. The rearrangement of the Liverpool forwards having proved ineffective. Harrop and Robinson now reverted to their old position. Everton promptly forced a corner, from which Taylor sent wide. A splendid movement by Everton resulted in Turner scoring with a brilliant cross shot just after White had hit the post, this putting the Blues four goals ahead. Everton ceased up somewhat, and Liverpool pressed Scott saving from MaConnachie, who kicked into his own goal. Both Uren and Hewitt missed with long shots. Freeman, after Hardy had saved twice, added a fifth for Everton from a good run by Sharp. Liverpool made a last effort, and Scott saved from Raisebeck, after which Freeman compelled Hardy to handle a rather difficult shot. The whistle then blow, and Everton won a good game by five goals to nil. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris Taylor, and Makepeace, Half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Chorlton, and Crawford, backs, Harrop, Raisebcak (Captain), and Bradley, half-backs, Goddard, Robinson, J Hewitt, Orr, and H. Uren, forwards.

April 10 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 34)
Everton tightened their grip upon their championship of the Lancashire Combination by extracting another couple of points from the St Helen Recs yesterday afternoon, the encounter attracting a large holiday crowd to the City-road enclosure, the gate receipts running, indeed into a record account. The Recs, however, did not succumb without a determined effort, but they were deserved to go under, the Blues being extremely fortunate to emerge from the contest so successfully as they did. A draw would have more fairly represented the play, but had the Recs scored as often as they should the Blues would have returned empty handled. Everton nevertheless displayed superior football, their splendid command over the ball enabling them to outwitt their opponents times out of number, the Recs on the other hand lacking essential finish in their movements.

The Recs close to play against the bright warm sun in the first half, and commenced by forcing a corner, but play soon settled down to the end to end, each goal undergoing some narrow escapes. Roberts had hard lines in not finding the net on several occasions, he being hurt on trying to turn a corner to account. Meunier effecting a lucky clearance. Buck, Lacey, and Young on the other side, frequently tested Doig, but the veteran goalkeeper accomplished all that was expected of him. The interval arrived without either side having netted. Lens Woods, who had to retire during the first half came on again after the resumption, and thought he could only limp along he was instrumental in bringing the opening which ended in Everton securing the only goal of the match. The ball had travelled from one end to the other in rapid succession, and Berry had just managed to prevent his charge from falling, when away went the Blues, and Woods beat a half-back, and the back and passed on to Young, who centred, Buck after failing at a first attempt beating Doig a second sharp Shot. Far from demoralising the Recs, the reverse but stimulated them to renew effort, but their weakness in front of goal let not a few chances go abegging. Just on time Roberts would have scored, had the ball not been travelling too fast for him to get up to it, but as it was Berry had to give a corner. Stevenson and Meunier, the visiting backs, were chiefly responsible in keeping the homesters at bay Result St Helens Rec nil, Everton 1. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Young, Woods, and Mountford forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 12 April 1909
In Their reserve team fixture with Blackpool, at Goodison Park.  Everton gave a scrambling display and only just managed to win by scoring the only goal of the match.  There was no score at half-time but after the change of ends Young registered the winning point.  In the forward line Crews shaped well, but Young and Lacey were disappointing.  Adamson was the best of the half-backs but the team all round gave a disappointing and disjoined exhibition.  By their victories over St. Helens Recreation and Blackpool, Everton have made another bold bid for the championship.

Athletic News - Monday 12 April 1909
Manchester United 2, Everton 2
By Jarques
When Moger fisted up a shot in the second half the ball fell just to the right of the goal, and John sharp, some five yards out, lashed the ball in with all the power of his boot.  People had different opinions as to what became of the ball.  It went in like a flash and it came out.  Some thought it went over the line before it appeared in the field again, and Sharp claimed eagerly for a goal.  But the referee gave the defenders the benefit of the doubt, and so Everton did not win their match with Manchester United at Clayton.  Had they done so they would have been a somewhat fortunate side, because the Manchester men, led strongly by James Turnbull, raided the Goodison lines again and again in the second half, and repeatedly came very near scoring.  The Everton defence was very fine to see, and Scott was a splendid custodian. 
A Dramatic Incident
The Everton keeper had the pleasure of hearing two herculean drives by Meredith, made in less than half a minute, crash against the goal-post, and also of seeing Picken whistled offside as a very fine shot from the man who was once a Bolton Wanderers found the net.  Those two shots by Meredith were the features of the game, and were additionally interesting because Welshman has not got a goal this season.  He was twenty yard out and near to the goal line when he drove at the goal in the manner of a man who was hitting the ball with all the power he could fine. 
Two Early Goals
The United, who were unable to play Alec Turnbull, Bell, Wall, and Roberts, had James Turnbull out again, and the big, fearless Falkirk man showed his worth all through the game.  Only five minutes had gone when Ford placed a corner-kick, and Turnbull drove the ball hard into the net.  Three minutes later Turnbull took the ball which Macconnachie might have cleared, and kicked it past Scott,, so that the United began the game as though they were to win.  But the Everton team was at full strength and as the game progressed they showed good, scientific football.  For a period they overplayed the Mancunians, and Sharp finished a dexterous dribble with a low centre that passed over to Turner.  The outside left whipped the ball across, and Coleman baffled Moger with a clean and fast shot.  This was all the scoring of the first half, but no sooner was the ball kicked off after the interval than Coleman, given a chance by a weak clearance on the part of Hayes, dashed between the Manchester backs and scored a very fine goal.  In the last twenty minutes the United worked desperately and Balmer and Macconnachie had a hard time.  The Everton defence held out and a point went home with them to Goodison.
Men Of Moment
The Manchester forward line consisted of three inside men, for Ford showed inexperience at outside left, and Meredith was a spectator for a great part of the game.  True, he was not well fed, but surely he should have shown an inclination to go for the ball.  James Turnbull played fine, vigorous football, and Halse and Picken were rare workers.  I liked the way Halse went in search of work.  Downie, who has surely done splendid service for his club this season, was a robust, effective right half, and a deputy captain who set an example understudy to Roberts, playing a quiet and sound game, and Duckworth, too, was good.  Stacey and Hayes were seldom at fault, but they did not shine so much as the Everton pair who reveled in their work and kicked grandly.  Balmer in particular doing brilliant things at times.  The fact that Meredith was not often on the ball of course lightened the labours of Macconnachie.  Harris did rare work at times, and so did Makepeace for that matter.  They are two fine wing half-backs.  As with the Manchester team the Everton attack was chiefly conducted by the inside trio, but for all that it was plain to see that Turner will greatly strengthen the Goodison attack.  The ex-Fosse outside-left has pace and can centre a ball well.  White, too, was a businesslike forward.  Freeman’s greatest moment was in the first half when he swung round and hooked an obviously difficult ball under the crossbar with great power.  It was a wonderful effort, and forced Moger to his best save of the match.  Although the day was so warm there were less than 10,000 spectators, a fact no doubt due to the recent failure of the United in league games.  Manchester United; Moger; Stacey, Hayes; Duckworth, Curry, Downie (captain); Meredith, Halse, Turnbull (J.), Picken, and Wall.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (R.), Macconnachie; Harris, Clifford, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Coleman, Freeman, White and Turner.  Referee; Mr. J. Mason, Burslem. 

April 12, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Notwithstanding the summerlike conditions, which prevailed, a fast interesting game was witnessed at Clayton on Saturday between Manchester United and Everton. No one could cavil at the result of the encounter –a draw of two goals each. In one respect, however, the issue was disappointing to Everton supporters inasmuch as it was fondly hoped that League revenge would have been taken for the unfortunate Cup tie dismissal. However, the point is most valuable to Everton, for it emphasises their claims to be honourable position of runners up of the League championship. Saturday's contest was brimful of interest from start to finish for there was absolutely no suggestion of an end of the season game. Indeed, towards the end of the struggle the best efforts of the players were seen, and though many chances of scoring were allowed to go abegging, a division of the spoils was a satisfactory finish.

The game had only been four minutes in progress when the United opened the scoring. This success came from a corner kick nicely placed by Ford to Turnbull, who gave Scott no chance of saving. Following upon this the Everton forwards went off at a great pace, but they could not do everything but score, and following another return by United Turnbull took full advantage of a slip by MaConnachie and registered his second goal. These early reverse to Everton did not damp their spirits, for they fully extended their opponents and eventually reduced the lead. Coleman had made headway and flashed the ball across the goalmouth. Moger failed to reach the leather, but not so Turner, who passed back the ball to Coleman, with a resulting goal from the inside right. After this success Everton's prospects brightened considerably, and when the equalising goal came within the first minute after the restart there was every indication of a fierce tussle for supremacy. Coleman, who took advantage of hesitancy on the part of the home back and drove past Moger, recorded this second success. It was from this point onward that the spectators had full value for their support, for the players never relaxed their efforts, and a smart pace was maintained to the close. There was several lucky escapes on both sides, and remarkable indeed were Meredith's ill luck when he twice in succession drove hard against the upright.

The Everton forwards on the whole gave a satisfactory display. They made for goal in refreshing style, and but for the close attentions of the United defenders must have opened the scoring quite early in the game. Freeman was well shadowed, and was rarely allowed to put in a parting shot, but the wingmen had more scope, and generally made the most of their opportunities. Makepeace gave Turner every chance of displaying his skill, and the ex-Fosse player in conjunction with White formed a powerful left wing. Harris also kept Coleman and Sharp well employed, but Clifford was none too successful in his bouts with Turnbull. At full back Balmer was the more resourceful. He tackled and kicked well, and at times covered MaConnachie, who was none too reliable. Scott kept a good goal, as also did his vis-a-vis Moger. Stacey and Hayes put up a solid defence and at half-back Duckworth and Downie contributed good work against the Everton wingmen, and Currry, a reserve player, filled Roberts position with a fair amount of success. Turnbull was an energetic centre forward, and kept his wings well employed. Pickin and Ford on the left supplied many fine touches of play, and in the latter the club have a player who, with experience, should make his mark, for he has good command of the ball and centres well. Meredith, except in the latter stages, was rarely in evidence, as Makepeace was a close attendant. Teams: - Manchester United: - Moger, goal, Stacey, and Hayes, backs, Duckworthy, Curray, and Downie (captain), half-backs, Meredith, Halse, J Turnbull, Picken, and Ford, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Referee J. Mason.

April 12, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 35)
By Defeating Blackpool at Goodison Park on Saturday by one goal to nil, Everton further strengthened their championship prospects. The game could not by any means be termed exhilarating, for it was not until five minutes from the finish that the Blues scored. The first half was noticeable for the inaccurate marksmanship of both sets of forwards. Time and again the ball would be worked into splendid positions only for the opportunities to be frittered away in a most unaccountable manner. The second moiety had only been in progress about ten minutes when Rogers, the visitors inside left was injured, and had to retire. With depleted opposition, the home team were more aggressive. Tillston cleared his lines on many occasions in a splendid fashion. However, nearing the finish Lacey gave Buck a well-judged pass, and the little outside right, quickly covering the ground, centred for Young to score from close range. Teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson and Meunier backs, Rafferty, Borthwick, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Younger, Woods, and Crews, forwards. Blackpool: - Tilleston, goal, Dale and Miller, backs, Clarke Murphy, and Swan, half-backs, Stirling, Rogers, Whalley, Livesley and Swarbrick, forwards.

April 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The League Championship was definitely decided yesterday, when Newcastle United obtained the claim to the leadership in defeating Everton at St. Jame's Park by three goals to nil, this being the second victory of the season over the Goodison Park men. Newcastle are now not only undisputed champs but they have a lead of seven points to their nearest rivals, and with an 51 points for 34 games are certain to record points scored in a season. The record is 52 points, which Manchester united, did last season. There was a terrific downpour for a before the game started, and, them there was sun shine afterwards, the ground was not at its best, but Newcastle overcome the occasion better than the visitors, and their position as League champions for the third time is now assured.

Everton made only one change from the side, which drew at Manchester United on Saturday. Taylor appearing once more for Clifford; but Newcastle had Carr and Higgins for Whitson and Shepherd. Newcastle had a strong wind in their favour in the first half, but Everton were the more dangerous side in the early stages, and Sharp and Makepeace tested Lawrence. Freeman made a couple of good runs, but was beaten at the finish by Veitch, and afterwards the United attacked heavily. Several corners were forced, but all proved fruitless. Scott beautifully cleared a great shot by Wilson through a crowd of players. But the latter had no chance when a penalty kick was awarded Newcastle for Higgins being brought down near goal (By Taylor-Post) McCracken scoring with a hot low shot. This goal came in 37 minutes, and the home side deserved the lead on the run of the play. Afterwards Freeman put in a fine run, but failed to control the ball at the finish, and McCracken who had been left behind, managed to catch up and dispossess him. Newcastle led at the interval by a goal and it was thought that Everton with the wind in the second half would put up a better fight. But with the turf drying under the influence of the powerful sun, the United gave a fine display after the change of ends. At first Everton attacked strongly and the United had to defend for all they were worth. Anderson got away cleverly, but Scott effected a marvellous save as he was bundled into the net. Everton responded with a strong attack, but Veitch kept out a fine drive from Makepeace, and Balmer fouling Anderson, Stewart scored a second goal from a mix-up in goal following a free kick. Soon afterwards the same player added another goal, and try as they would Everton could not overcome the opposing defence.

Considering the conditions, especially in the first half play was wonderfully fast and exciting, and the 30,000 spectators had full value for their money. The Novcastrians, however, displayed the superior form, their forwards not only combining cleverly, but making for goal, with a dash and precision, which were bound to prove successful. Everton on the other hand, were prone to indulge in too much passings, while there was at times a fatal hesitancy about their work when near goal. Scott did well, and had no chance with the shots that scored. The backs were a busy pair, and on the whole rendered fine services. While Taylor played with rare skill and Power all through. The forwards were disappointing against a robust defence, but had none the best of luck with their shots, and were unfortunate in not scoring. For Newcastle, McCracken was a fine defender, while Veitch gave a polished display at centre half alike in attack, and defence. Wilson gave a good show against his old club, but Stewart and Anderson, who were, very fast and clever, did the best forward work. Still Newcastle were rather fortunate to secure such a pronounced victory. Teams were as follows: - Newcastle United: - Lawrence, goal, McCracken, and Carr, backs, Howrie, Veitch (Captain), and McWilliams, half-backs, Rutherford, Stewart, Higgins, Wilson, and Anderson, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Referee J.T. Ibbotson.

April 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 36)
At Goodison-Park. Owing no doubt to the inelemency of the weather there was only a small attendance when the following players took the field: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Strettell, and Meunier, backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Adamson, half-backs, Buck, Lacey, Young, Woods, and Crews, forwards. Atherton: - Chorley, goal, Fort, Martinscroft, backs, Farrington, Madden, and Grime, half-backs, Acton, Horrocks, Brannich, Sharples, and Horrocks, forwards. The home team pressed from the start, and a fine passing movement between Young and Lacey ended in the latter player sending in a terrific shot which rebounded off Fort. The visitors then made play by way of the right wing, but Strettell and Adamson barred the way. Another raid by the homesters culminated in Rafferty heading onto Chorley's hands. The nest item was a long shot by Madden, which Berry cleared at the second attempt. After Everton had made several unsuccessful onslaughts on the Atherton goal, the visitors forced a corner, but Strettell removed the danger. A nice pass by Adamson gave Young an opening, which he was quick to seize and catching the ball on the drop, he shot into the net at lighting speed. The homesters continued to adopted aggressive ineasures, and the visitors ‘ goal was subjected to several dangerous attacks, but nothing tangible resulted. A foul against Farrington changed the venue, and the visiting forwards were working nicely down the field when offside against Horrocks stayed their progress. Everton were soon at the other end, and Young added a second from a pass by Woods. The homesters forced two corners in quick succession, but both proved abortive. Half-time Everton 2, Atherton nil. Atherton were early on the aggressive after the interval, but were easily repelled, and Everton were soon down again, Young beating Chorley from Crew's centre. Everton's superiority was most pronounced, play being confined to the visitors' portion. The home forwards attacked in brilliant style, their passing being neat and accurate, and their shooting good. Crews played a splendid game, and Lacey securing one of the centres, got Everton fourth and final goal. From a sudden breakaway Brannick scored for Atherton. Final Result Everton 4, Atherton 1. The victory ensures Everton securing the championship of the Lancashire Combination.

Athletic News - Monday 19 April 1909
The champions of the Lancashire Combination fairly trounced the Reserves of Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park.  Young scored two goals, as did Chetwood, and Lacey added a fifth, whereas the visitors failed to find the net.  Young was in capital trim, and near goal was particularly effective, Lacey’s goal was a really brilliant effort, and Chetwood was prominent throughout.  Clifford and Meunier were noticeable in defence, and Berry effected many clever clearances in goal.
Everton Reserves played 36, won 22, lost 6, Draw 8, for 98, against 43, points 52 laying first in league.

Athletic News - Monday 19 April 1909
Sheffield Wednesday 2, Everton 0
By Nemo
The points fought for at Owlerton on Saturday were of no great importance, yet Sheffield Wednesday and Everton gave one of the best displays of football seen in Sheffield this season.  There was little to choose between the teams in the first half, but after change of ends the Wednesday showed a decided superiority, which culminated in a well won and richly deserved victory.  There was brightness and briskness about the game from start to finish.  Everton came without Taylor, Harris moving to centre half, and Adamson coming into the team at right half, whilst Wednesday had notable absentee in Lyall, Layton, Brittleton and Chapman.
Bradshaw’s Fine Goal
The first half produced much skillful football on both sides.  Each side set up a sound defence, but the Sheffielders were the smarter in attack and gave Scott more to do than had Kinghorn, though neither custodian was severely tested.  Indeed, Kinghorn had only to handle the ball twice, Scott at the other end, had several shots to deal with notably from Hunter, Stringfellow, and Bradshaw, but as a matter of fact both custodians were splendidly protected by a pair of fine backs.  The Sheffield forwards were more than once a trifle unfortunate in seeing fine shots cannon back from defenders, but midway through the opening half the “Blades” had their reward in a beautifully got goal by Bradshaw.  The Wednesday attack continued the more dangerous up to the interval, but so strong was the Everton defence, Macconnachie especially doing well and once very cleverly checking Hunter when the Irish international was all but through, that the Sheffielders could not score again. 
Sheffielders Superior Attack
In the early moments of the second half the scene was changed, and the Everton attack was the smarter, but time after time their rushes were foiled at the critical moments by Holbem’s strength and good judgment, while once, following a centre by Sharp, Kinghorn saved a header from White at close quarters with the skill of a high-class custodian.  Once Wilson seemed to be going right through, but he kicked the ball a little too far, and Scott, rushing out, saved the situation.  Foxall and Stringfellow outwitted the visitors’ rearguard completely, but with Scott beaten a long drive by Hunter missed the mark by inches.  The Everton goal later on had another narrow escape when, from a centre by Stringfellow, Bradshaw right in front also turned the ball only barely wide.  However, a few minutes from time, the “Blades” obtained a second goal for which Wilson did the chief work, but Foxall put on the final touch.  The Wednesday were clearly the better side during the last half-hour.
Prominent Players.
Kinghorn, Wednesday’s recruit from Leith, who has been on the injured list for some weeks past, had nothing difficult to do save one sharp header from White.  It is not easy to particularize where all four played so well, but more work fell upon Balmer and Macconnachie than upon the Wednesday backs.  However, Holbem’s strong, clean kicking and thoroughly mastery of Sharp were very noticeable.  The Everton forwards were clever in the open, with Turner and White a good left-wing, but Freeman was not given much opportunity, McConnell covering him in most artistic style.  In the visitors’ middle line Harris did much good work, and among the Sheffield half-backs Taylor, the North Country man, who has been building up a reputation with the reserves, was a very prominent figure, improving upon the several creditable appearances he had already made with the first eleven.  The Wednesday forwards, as a line, gave a capital display, showing good combination combined with individual skill and dash.  While all played well, Hunter, the Irish international, and Stringfellow, the Ilkeston youngster, forming a smart right-wing, and Bradshaw, with brilliant individualism at inside-left chiefly excelled.  Sheffield Wednesday; Kinghorn; Slavin, Holbem; Lloyd, McConnell, Taylor; Hunter, Stringfellow, Wilson, Bradshaw, and Foxall.  Everton; Scott; Balmer, Macconnachie; Adamson, Harris, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Coleman, Freeman, White and Turner.  Referee; Mr. A.W. McQue, London. 

April 19 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Unless something very extraordinary happens, Everton are assured of finishing the season as runners up to the champions Newcastle United. Even if they lose their concluding League fixture with Leicester Fosse this week-end, goal average should enable them to retain second position. This in itself is a creditable achievement, but if certain matches which one could easily recall had ended otherwise Newcastle United might have been fighting harder to secure a record number of points. Probably it was a feeling that the second place was theirs that effected the play of the team last Saturday, when they met Sheffield Wednesday at Owlerton Park. From an Everton point of view especially it was decidedly end of the season football. The game produced many neat movements and instances of individual cleverness, but there was a lack of that enthusiasm which one expects to be associated with league warfare. It was because the Wednesday players showed more eagerness that they were entitled to the honours of the day, which were theirs by two goals to nil.

Sheffield Wednesday obtained a goal in each half. Nearly half an hour of the first portion had elapsed before Scott was beaten, Bradshaw finishing a fine solo effort with a cross shot which gave no chance. Foxall scored the goal in the closing stages of play. It was just a question whether the full 45 minutes had not then really concluded. There was only one stoppage of any consequence during the second half, and certainly this did not account for the fact that the game was allowed to proceed for fully five minutes beyond the 45. However, as it happened, it did not effect the result in way, so that there was no grumble. As already indicated Wednesday fully deserved their success, although they had Kinghorn in goal and two or three reserves in the side. Perhaps it was the presence of the new men, which provided that stimulus to the Sheffield team, which for the part was lacking in the Everton side. Balmer was undoubtedly one of the best exponents, for throughout he played with rare determination. White and Turner too, did in fact, the former was responsible for the only troublesome shots with which Kinghorn had to deal. As for the other members of the front line –Freeman, Coleman and Sharp –they were, to say the least, off colour. The halves also were only fair, but all round end of the season slackness was too much in evidence. Teams : - Sheffield Wednesday: - Kinghorn, goal, Slavin, and Holein, backs, Lloyd, McConnell, and Taylor, half-backs, Hunter, Stringfellow, Wilson (Captain), Bradshaw, and Foxall, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and McConnachie, backs, Adamson, Harris, Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Turner, forwards. Referee A.W.McQue.

April 19. 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 37)
Everton gave an exhibition, which one naturally expects from champions when they defeated Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park on Saturday by 5 goals to nil. Despite the treacherous nature of the turf, the home side cleverly adapted themselves to the conditions, and shot at every available opportunity. Young early on scored twice, the second point bring the Blues' total of goals up to the century mark. Lacey secured the third goal with a thunderbolt shot from about 30 yards' ranges. In the second moiety further goals were secured by Chetwood (2). Near the end Bolton rallied, but Berry was in his best form, and saved shots on many occasions in a very clever fashion. Everton: - Berry, goal, Strettell, and Meunier, backs, Ratherty, Clifford, and Borthwick, Half-backs, Buck, Lacey Young, Chetwood, and Crews, forwards.

April 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The annual contest for possession of the Liverpool Cup between Liverpool and Everton was played at Anfield last evening, and the Livers ran out winners of a fairly good game by 2 goals to 1. The Anfielders thus regain possession of the magnificent trophy, and the players no doubt will value the handsome medals. Last season Everton triumphed at Goodison Park, but prior to that the Liverpool club had won the cup for two or three seasons in succession. Despite the fact that the season is so far advanced great interest was taken in the contest, and quite 12,000 spectators witnessed the game, so that the local association and the clubs will benefit considerably from the match. The players on both sides were keen on winning the medals was shown by the fast play which charactised the opening exchanges, but the high class of football was to maintained to the end, the sultry weather no doubt affecting the men. Both teams were practically at full strength, and there was plenty to interest the crowd. Liverpool undoubtedly won the game in the first ten minutes, when they scored two goals, for Everton later or held the advantage in midfield, but their forwards failed to take advantage of the openings presented. This was especially noticeable in the second half, and at least on two occasions the Blues ought to have scored.

Right from the start the Livers went off with great dash, and Goddard ran up and centred finely for Bowyer to drive in a swift shot, and Balmer in attempting to stop the ball diverted it into the net. Thus Liverpool were a goal ahead in the first minute of play. It was hereabouts that the best football of the evening was shown, and within eleven minutes the three goals were scored. After Liverpool had opened with the point already mentioned, Everton became aggressive on the left, where Sandy Young (on the outside) and White were operating. Hardy saved a fast shot just at the foot of the post, and in the melee, Liverpool goal had a narrow escape. The danger was cleared but the Blues were soon back again, Freeman after a fine run, just being stopped by Bradley. However, Everton were soon on level terms, for Freeman passed out to Young, and he gave Hardy a warm handful. The ball came out to White, who lost no time in scoring for the Goodison club. Only eight minutes had elapsed, and again Liverpool worked down and after Bradley had shot wide, Goddard centred to Orr, who beat Scott with a fine shot. After this play slackened down considerably, but Scott had to save a fine long shot from Orr, and again he cleared smartly from Hewitt. At the other end Freeman had a great chance, but he lifted the ball over, and a tremendous drive from Coleman missed the mark by inches. Liverpool were leading at the interval by two goals to one.

The second half was productive of a lot of loose play, the ball being too often in the air, and there was also numerous throws in from touch, which detracted from the play. Early on, however, Sharp got clean away, and he centred accurately, but Freeman and Coleman missed the ball as it glided across the mouth of the goal –a great chance. On another occasion Young centred, but the Everton forwards were unable to take advantage of the opportunity. Play certainly fell off considerably in this half, and both sides missed chances. Hughes sustained an injury, and Raisebeck went right back, with Hewitt centre half and Hughes outside left. The latter once got away on his own, and ran half the length of the field to centre to Bowyer, but Scott saved the latter's shot with his outstretched hand. The ball was banged in again, but Scott cleared. The closing stages were fought in a very dim light, but nothing more was scored, and Liverpool won by the odd goal in three.

The Reds deserved their victory, if it was only for the fact that they took advantage of their opportunities, whilst they also defended well. Raisebeck and Crawford were always prominent in defence, and Hewitt did excellently when he dropped back to centre half. Orr, always clever, was about the best forward. Although Goddard and Bowyer also did well. On the Everton side Scott was his usual self in goal, whilst Balmer and MaConnachie defended ably. Makepeace and Taylor were fine halves. The forwards were clever in midfield, but they undoubtedly missed chances of drawing level. Col Maclie presented the cup, and Mrs. Maclie distributed the medals. Teams : - Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, J. Hughes and Crawshaw, backs, Robinson Raisebeck (Captain), and Bradley, half-backs, Goddard, Bowyer, Hewitt, Orr, and Uren, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer and McConnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman White, and Young, forwards.

April 24 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo.
The visit of the wooden spoonists to Goodison Park attracted some 10,000 spectators who were chiefly interested in the likelihood of Freeman emulating Notts Forest and running up a string of goals giving to his record, a more formidable figure than Evan. Young Jones appeared once more in the home ranks, and partnered Coleman. The teams turned out as Follows, the Fosse making their last appearance in First League company: - Everton: - Scott, goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace (Captain), half-back, Jones, Coleman, Freeman, White, and R.F. Turner, forwards. Leicester Fosse: - Starbuck, goal, Blackett, and Mackie, backs, Randle, Aitkens, and King, half-backs Durrant, Shinton, Donnelly, R. W. Turner, and West, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Pollitt. The rain was coming down in torrents, when the boys turned out, and they must have experienced a discomforting drenching before the Leicester men made their appearance, and in bright red jerseys and white knickers, a la Liverpool. There was little more than a sprinkling of spectators when Donnelly commenced operations, and the start was somewhat sensational, for Coleman, Freeman, and White made straight for the Leicester goal, and Mackie gave a corner. Coleman nearly put the ball home, after which the players took their wetting in the centre of the field. By and bye the Fosse men made a strong effort, at the end of which, Donnelly found himself splendidly placed almost in the Everton goalmouth, but instead of touching the ball into the net, he sent it up towards the clouds. The game had only been in progress five minutes when fortune smiled on the Blues. The keenest of Everton was unmistakable, but the Fosse put up an unexpectedly stubborn resistance, and were evidently not in the generous mood in which Notts Forest found them (Forest beat than mid-week 12-0). Everton's persistency, however, had its reward after perplexing interchange in front of Starbuck. Jones Coleman, and Freeman passed the ball until the Fosse defenders were fairly mystified, and Starbuck quite failed to locate Coleman, when he netted. Reopening, the Blues were still out for blood, and the most anxious member of the party being Freeman, who ultimately obtained possession outside the penalty area, and manipulating cleverly, eluded the attentions of four opponents, and then piloted the sphere accurately into the corner of the net, thus bringing his total up to 37 goals. The Leicester men were far from faint hearted, and occasionally had serious designs on Scott's charge. Their visions, however, were in the main illusional, for their plan of attack was confined to spasmodic individual efforts, and had little sting in them, and were easily stalled off by the Everton defenders. During a close attack, Freeman and Coleman came to close quarters with Starbuck, but each of their shots was intercepted. A couple of corners were forced to the right of Starbuck, but their negotiation did not cause the Fosse defenders much anxiety. The doughty Borthwick was taking an outing in the centre vice Taylor, and from time to time he got in some very neat touches. White managed to upset Randle, but the consequent free kick did not prove beneficial to the visitors. White and Turner worked the leather well up the field, where it was transferred to the opposite end, and Coleman receiving from the inside left, fairly staggered Starbuck. Goals were not coming rapidly, but the aggressiveness of the Blues was obviously telling its tale on the stamina of the Fosse me. Freeman once tried a long shot, which was capitally fielded by the Leicester custodian. Durrant was the most energetic factor in the visitors forward line, and he had the satisfaction of outwitting MaConnachie and securing a corner. A sudden attack by the Fosse caught the home rearguard napping and Donnelly and Shinton both of whom failed to appreciate the glorious opportunity finally opposed Scott. A smart advance by Jones resulted in Coleman gaining a corner, and after a few exchanges the same player made a red-hot effort to beat Starbuck. Freeman was not having it all his own way, and one of other of the Leiecester backs managed to obstruct his progress at the most critical moment. Another corner was forced by the Leicester right wing, and following its negotiation Mr. Pollitt awarded a free kick. Leicester really deserved a goal, for at times their efforts were very spirited. A corner kick got the home defence in a tangle. Hard pressed Scott fisted out weakly, and Donnelly returned smartly, would have scored, had not Balmer previously dropped back judiciously into the goalmouth. Half-time Everton 2 Leicester Fosse nil. When the players resumed operations, the ground was in a bad state, and Tim Coleman bedaubed his new vigour in the first minute. Everton forced a corner, but the ball was put behind. A sudden rush of the Fosse left proved too much for Balmer, but MaConnachie came to the rescue. An Everton rush followed this, but the Blues were not allowed to settle down, for the Leicester halves were keen and alert. At last a very dangerous move came from the visitors, Donnelly hand down a short return of Balmer's. But Mr. Politt did not see the infringement, and the Leicester centre and Durrrant were left with an open goal; but once again the opportunity was not made use of. It mattered little as it happened for the Fosse forwards maintained their advantageous position, Shinton ultimately piloting the ball past Scott. The scene of attack swiftly changed, and culminated in a corner for Turner, from which White tested Starbuck with a powerful shot, but the Leicester custodian got the ball over the bar very adroitly. The work of the Leicester men was spirited and vimish, and it was obvious they intended to dispute the issue to the last ounce. It is very precliable that the heavy state of the ground put the Blues off their game. Although the Fosse men did good work in the outfield, their shooting was very poor. Still they had their dangerous moments, which usually took the form of sudden swift rushes. By such tactics they drew level. A close combined move by Turner, Donnelly and Shinton resulted in Borthwick and Balmer being eluded. Scott elected to come forth, and Shinton putting the ball past him, saw it roll slowly into the net. For some minutes after this the visitors proved so aggressive that they looked like taking the lead. At last the Blues disturbed themselves and Starbuck got down to a swift low shot from Coleman. Before the custodian could rid himself of the leather, Freeman got in and bustled him so that he dropped the ball over the goalline. Mr. Politt rightly negatived the goal. Evidently nettled, Freeman and Coleman got to work in deadly earnest and a minute afterwards Coleman, receiving from Freeman. put the Blues ahead again with a very clever shot. Following this the Leicester custodian had plenty of business to combined with. Five minutes from the finish Freeman headed the ball into the net. Final Result Everton 4, Leicester Fosse 2.

April 24, 1909. The Liverpool Football Echo
AT Hyde this afternoon before a large crowd. Play was very fast on the slippery ground, and some clever work was done by both sides. Ashworth opened the score for Hyde after twelve minutes play. Anderson made a capital attempt to put Everton level, but Ogden cleared very cleverly. Half-time Everton 2 Hyde 1, Full time Everton 3, Hyde 1.

Athletic News - Monday 26 April 1909
By Junius
Everton intend to lose no time in starting the alterations on their ground and today what may be termed the second part of their programme improvements at  Goodison will be commended.  The portion to be dealt with is the side adjoining Goodison road, there the club’s offices are situated, and the intention is to make a double-decker stand along the whole length.  Where the present directors box is there will be a three-decker arrangement, the upper and lower parts for spectators, and the central portion for the secretary and officials generally.  The dressing rooms for players and referees, the baths, gymnasium, and all other apportionments concerning the training of the men, will be brought over into this new stand, so that there will be no necessity in future to cross the field either by players, directors, or inquiring pressmen.  The latter will be moved from their present comfortable box and placed in the centre, and to the front of the new stand, a position which, while affording a less elevated view than the one now in use, will be more favourably situated for following the play.  These alterations will cost the club about 12,000 thousand. 
One Beneficiaries
Although Everton have already awarded handsome benefits to Makepeace and Robert Balmer this season, their liberality was further extended on Saturday, when they handed over to William Balmer a sum of 500 from the gate receipts in the Leicester Fosse match. 
The Argentine Tour
At their meeting the Everton directors selected the players to represent them in the forthcoming tour of South America, and made other arrangements in the connection.  The men who will travel are Scott, Balmer (R.), Macconanchie, Harris, Taylor, Adamson, Rafferty, Clifford, Jones, lacey, Freeman, White and Mountford.  They will be accompanied by Mr. E.A. Bainbridge, the chairman of the club, and Mr. A.R. Wade, one of the directors, while trainer Elliott will act in his usual capacity.  The tourists leave Southampton next month and will be absent for nine weeks.  They are due to play Tottenham in a couple of exhibition matches, and three games with local elevens.  Sharp and Makepeace cannot undertake the trip owing to cricket, and Coleman finds it impossible to make the journey.  All these players have resigned for next season, and the full list, I am officially informed is, up to the present, as follows; Scott, Berry, goal; R. Balmer, Macconnachie, Stevenson, backs; Harris, Taylor, Makepeace, Adamson, Borthwick, Clifford, Rafferty, half-backs; Sharp, Coleman, Freeman, White, Turner, Jones, Lacey, Young, Mountford, forwards.  This means that the full strength of the club is secured for another season, and we may expect very few changes at Goodison next September. 

Athletic News - Monday 26 April 1909
Everton 4, Leicester Fosse 2
By Junius
Only six goals were scored at Goodison Park in the fixture between Everton and Leicester Fosse, so that the Midlanders had evidently recovered somewhat from the trouncing they experienced at Nottingham.  The weather conditions were wretched, for rain fell in torrents, and it is a strange coincidence that the only other occasion this season when the Goodison ground has been thus submerged was when the Foresters fulfilled their rearranged game with Everton.  Despite the inclement accompaniments, the play was decidedly interesting, though the early stages appeared to denote an easy victory for the home team.  Not many minutes had elapsed here White placed perfectly to Coleman, and the latter scored with a fine shot.  Then Freeman added a second goal with a characteristic effort, but just on the interval Balmer luckily intercepted a header from Donnelly when Scott was yards wide of the object.  In the second half the Leicester forwards attacked in grand style, and after Shinton had reduced the lead from a centre by Durrant, the same player equalized within a few minutes.  After this Everton took matters into their own hands, and after Freeman had bundled Starbuck and the ball into the net, only to have the point disallowed.  Coleman gave his side the lead, Freeman obtained a fourth goal with a header, but the Fosse defenders were completely to blame for this.
Prominent Performances
For Everton, Scott kept a fine goal, and he had some difficult shots to negotiate.  One from Turner was a trimmer, while he did well to haul another from Shinton away from the crossbar.  Macconnachie excelled at full back, and on the treacherous turf his returns were most accurately executed.  Balmer was never at fault and his clearance from under the bar in the first half was a masterpiece.  At half-back, Borthwick was given a trial in the centre, and he shaped creditably.  His passes were more judiciously placed, and though in the closing minutes he was not so prominent as earlier in the game, he fully justified his selection.  Harris was a rare worker, and Makepeace, as usual showed to great advantage.  In the front rank Freeman made many blunders, despite his two goals, and the best of the line was White, who afforded Turner many glorious opportunities of making headway.  The ex-Leicester winger utilized most of these chances, and the left wing was far more effective than the right, wing was far more effective than the right.  Coleman gave a capital display, but Jones was a poor substitute for Sharp.
Leicester Lights
Starbuck was not to blame for the reverse; though beaten four times he was helpless on each occasion.  The defence of Blackett and Mackie was sturdy, but the latter made a big mistake in heading inwards the centre from White which led to Freeman scoring the fourth goal.  The half-backs were the strongest part of the team, and each of the trio played finely.  King was a most zealous worker, while Randle kept a close touch with the men in front, and Aitken in the centre was the moving spirit.  Often did the forwards advance in creditable style, and none did better than Shinton, though Turner and West on the left wing were a smart pair.  Altogether the Midlanders created a favourable impression, and their midweek massacre is still as big a mystery as ever.  Everton; Scott; Balmer (R.), Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Jones, Coleman, Freeman, White and Turner.  Leicester Fosse; Starbuck; Blackett, Mackie; Randle, Aitken, King; Durrant, Shinton, Donnelly, Turner, and West.  Referee; Mr. H. Pollitt, Manchester.

April 26, 1909. Yorkshire Evening Post
This, the closing match of the season at Goodison Park, was played in miserable weather, and the attendance only numbered about 8,000. Everton were without Taylor and Sharp. Everton opened in aggressive style, and Coleman scored after eight minutes, whilst Freeman put on a second soon after. Fosse had a good share of the game, but like Everton were weak in front of goal. Interval –Everton 2 goals, Leicester Fosse none. Although the rain ceased before the interval the downpour recommenced on resuming, and ground was very heavy. Leicester played up well, and slackness on the part of the Everton defence allowed Shenton to score the first goal for the visitors. Shortly after the same player equalized, but Everton came again, and Coleman scored a third. Play was afterwards even, but Freeman added a fourth for Everton. Result; - Everton 4 goals, Leicester Fosse 2 goals.

April 27, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 38)
The final match at Anfield this season was invested with more than usual interest to the home side, as it decided who should be the runners up to Everton in the Combination table. It had also been set aside for the benefit of the popular Liverpool forward, Jack Parkinson. The ground was in a deplorable condition after the torrential rain of the afternoon, although happily the weather cleared just before the commencement. Parkinson started, and Sloan was quickly called upon to save from Lacey. At the other end Uren centred well after having defeated Stevenson for possession, but the ball fell on the wrong side of the crossbar. The game was contested at a rare pace, and Parkinson made several fine efforts to open the scoring, having very hard lines from a well-judged centre by Uren. Following clever work by the home forwards. Uren spoiled a grand chance by his impetuosity. Buck raced away in possession but his final effort although well directed, lacked sting, and Sloan had little difficulty in repelling the shot. However, the home custodian conceded a corner from a subsequent shot by Crews. This was safely negotiated, and Liverpool again took up the attack, Parkinson shooting inches wide. From the goal kick Crews gained possession, and after a short dribble the winger parted to Lacey, who scored with a well-judged shot, which beat Sloan all the way. The Everton forwards were now showing improved form and from Young's pass Jones hit the upright, whilst shortly afterwards Buck overran the ball when he had, but the goalkeeper to negotiate. Parry endeavoured to equalise from a foul, but his shot went over the bar. Just before the interval, Goode equalised, after Berry had fisted out from a corner well placed by Uren. Half-time Liverpool 1 Everton 1. The attendance, which at the kick off numbered 5,000 had increased to 8,000, but the light, was rapidly falling. Liverpool quickly carried the play to the Everton goal, where the ball stuck in the mud just in front of the line. A couple of corners fell to Liverpool, and Hignett shot high over the bar. A foul against Rafferty was well placed, but Speakman made a purile attempt to turn it to good account. A goal, however, was scored shortly afterwards by Parkinson, who when Berry was in difficulties from a hot shot by Griffin, ran up and kicked the ball into the net, the custodian being on the ground. A hot fusilade on the visitors' goal followed and Berry cleared several fine shots whilst the backs charged down others. Griffin scored Liverpool's third. Young who had been limping for a considerable time, left the field and the visitors had but four forwards. This notwithstanding they attacked with vigour, and Lacey brought Sloan to his knees with a rasping shot, whilst Crews also tested the home custodian. Play was transferred to the other end, where Goode had an excellent opportunity, but shot wide. Parkinson finished up a clever sprint with a good goal, and in a bad light Speakman added a fifth.

Although there was little to choose between the teams during the initial period, Liverpool were much the superior in the second half, and fully deserved their victory. Play was interesting throughout, and had the ground been in a more fit condition the game would have been more open. The beneficiary was in grand form, and the two goals which he scored accrued from clever individual work, whilst he also had a hand in the other goals, judiciously feeding his wingmen with well-judged passes. The home side adapted themselves to the conditions, and took advantage of the opportunities which offered, whilst Everton were handicapped by the absence of Young in the second half. Teams : - Liverpool: - Sloan goal, West and Rogers, backs, Parry, Latham, and Hignett, half-backs, Speakman, Goode, Parkinson, Griffin and Uren, forwards. Everton: - Berry goal, Stevenson and Meunier backs, Rafferty, Clifford, and Asdamson half-backs, Bucvk, Lacey, Jones, Young, and Crews, forwards.

April 28 1909. The Daily Post and Mercury
These teams met on the Borough-road enclosure Birkenhead, last evening, before a good attendance (1,500 Courier), for the benefit of Jack lee, one of the Rovers backs. Everton won the toss and the Rovers started uphill. They at once made headway for the Everton goal, but Strettell relieved with a tremendous kick. They were soon back again however, but there shooting was weak in front of goal. End to end play followed, but there was not much to choose between the sides, and the interval arrived without any score. On resuming the Rovers at once attacked and Randles made a good effort, but the ball went wide. Midfield play followed for some time, and then the Everton team worked they way to their opponents goal, again without substantial result. A penalty kick, was given against the Rovers, for hands, but Strettell, who took the kick, shot high over the bar. Later a penalty kick was awarded to the Rovers, and Lee shot into Berry's hands. Good-combined efforts by the Rovers forwards resulted in Randles scoring a beautiful goal. Godwin added two more goals, to the Rovers score, who eventually ran out winners by three goals to nil.

April 28, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
This friendly encounter took place at the Gasworks enclosure. Hawthorne-road last evening, before about 2500 spectators. Bootle attacked early, and J. Chambers and Dempsey had hard lines. However, after some very tricky work Dempsey beat Carlise with a lovely shot. Carlisle had to concede a corner from a shot from Hall. Everton next had a spell of attacking, and after Hopkins had mulled a good chance Chetwood beat Trillo from very close range. A solo effort by Dempsey was responsible for Bootle's second goal. Bootle had easily the better of matters and after hall had tricked several players, he added a third point for the Reds. Interval –Bootle League 3, Everton A 1. On resuming Everton at once took up the attack, and Trillo saved a nice shot from Chetwood. Everton showed some tricky footwork, but Trillo was safe. After a lot of dallying in front of the Everton goal, Jones shot in, and Carlisle partially saved, but Guy secured and scored. Bootle kept up a warm attack and just before the final Dempsey scored a fifth goal.

April 29, 1909.
No details.

April 30 1909. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton have signed on a new player named Weller from Leek United, a Staffordshire club. He is twenty years of age, stands 5ft 10ins, and weights 11 st 6lbs, and plays at left half-back.







April 1909