Everton Independent Research Data


April 1 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The streamer Magic, which conveyed the Everton team to Belfast on Saturday, did not reach her berth till almost two o'clock, owing to the stiff westerly gale, the passages occupying nearly fourteen hours. As a result the team felt utterly done up on reaching the team felt utterly done up on reaching Windsor Park where about 6,000 spectators assembled and notwithstanding heavy rain, and hail. Miss Jenny Warden, the ten-year-old daughter of the managing director of the local Theatre Royal and Opera house. Kick off the visitors having the advantage of a breeze, which however fell away, soon after the start. Everton pressed for a brief period. Then McEwan had a nice run down, and in a mix up in front of the visitors goal, Berry was lucky to save. During the first fifteen minutes play was for the most part in the home territory, but the locals warming up, taxed Everton's defence time after time. Later a nice piece of play by the whole of the visitors from ranks aroused hearty cheers. When the ball went to Houston; Everton's laters capture, as it frequently did. Berry sniffed danger to his charge. From this till the interval Linfield kept renewing the attack. Berry being the businessman on the field. Beare, Holbem, and the two Browells were frequently prominent for their sides, the first named being especially conspicuous. Returning with no score for either side Fleetwood who with Scott and Harris accompanied the team, but were on the sick list took A. Browell's place, the latter being hurt. The opening of the second half was marked by Beare giving capital display, while Fleetwood was making himself felt. The game however, was very evenly contested, and a goaless draw fairly represented the play. Everton: - Berry goal, Holbem, and Scott, backs, Harris, A. Browell, and Fleetwood half-backs, Beare, Houston, T. Browell, Makepeace (captain), and Jefferis, forwards.

April 6, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
A forward pass to the left, a sprint by Uren, culminating in a perfect first time centre, and daunty glance from Tom Browell, which safely guided the ball into the net, furnished a sensational opening to Everton's match with Notts County at Meadow-lane yesterday. So far as scoring was concerned, it was also the culminating point, and as it came before the game was more than twenty seconds old, it will be gathered that there was a good deal of purposeless and ineffective work to follow it. Uren repeated his centre almost immediately after the goal had been scored. But this time the defence prevailed, and up to the interval Notts had a big share of the exchanges. A strong breeze helped them appreciably. Many of their movements were well planned, but the visitors put up a stalwart and vigorous defence, and for all the pressure which they exerted the Magpies scarcely gave Scott one awkward shot to stop all through the first half. Subsequently Everton not only held their lead comfortably, but indulged in many smart attacks, and although Iremonger was not greatly troubled, he certainly had more work to do than Scott. The latter made one great save at short range from Richards midway through the half, but this was the only shot that extended him throughout the game. Everton's footwork was faster and better balanced than that of the County, and if the latter had none the worst of the game as a whole, they never carried quite such conviction as their visitors nor did they exhibit so sound and workmanlike an understanding. Everton's half-backs too controlled the lively ball more effectively on the dry turf, and there was little of the ball coming which often left the diminutive home forwards helpless against a dashing and untiring defence. Long before the end it was obvious that the visitors had something in hand, and their title to the points was unquestionable.

Yet one could scarcely go so far as to say the Blues were seen at their best. The wing forwards were not consistently serviceable. The inside men suffered in less degree than Notts, it is true but still suffered from a lack of really effective finishing power. The backs, too, rather spoilt an otherwise creditable display of determined work by getting too much power into some of their clearances, and by constantly kicking into touch. This latter failing may have been due possibly it was in some measure –to the prevalence of a breeze; but it was very noticeable that the winners chief claim to superiority rested on the solidarity and skill of their half-back line. Makepeace was not so prominent as usual in the first half but he settled down to a fine game later, and there was always a better understanding between the intermediate line, and the forwards and backs than Notts could boast Fleetwood gave Cantrell no chance for his characteristic runs, and blended prodigious vigour with systematic support of his own front rank. But Harris had no superior for grit and for really telling work. The best tribute that could be paid to him and to Stevenson, indeed is to added that they took all the sting out of what is usually the County's better wing, and had something to spire for other opponents as well. Holbem showed traces of lameness now and again, but kicked well, and was very effective in his tackling. Scott's post was a sinecure yet the crowd through he had been caught napping once in the second half, when from a corner taken by Cantrell the ball went into the net of the hands; but the referee had already signalled that the ball had been over the line in its flight from the flag, and the Nottingham followers hopes were dashed.

The visitors' forward work might have been more effective if greater responsibility had been thrown on the right wing. On the comparatively few occasions when he obtained possession, Smith revealed a happy knack of accurate centring, but there were on a period when he never got a pass –at all extents a pass in a favourable position. Browell scored the goal prettily, but was a little up set by the one-back game, and considerably perturbed by one heavy charge from Morley, though it is due to the latter to and that otherwise he was quite fair. Jefferis and Bradshaw were the pick of the line for initiative and well-balanced combination. Uren did not keep up his promise, and the line as a whole might have shot more frequently. Notts loss some chances by their persistent tendency to give the Everton backs too much scope, but they were neither so fast nor so systematic as the winners. Flint played a capital game, and was quite the best of the forwards while Craythorne, West and Clamp were most prominent in defence. Teams: - Notts: - Iremonger, goal, Morley, and West, backs, Emberton, Clamp, and Craythorne, half-backs, Dean, Flint, Cantrell, Richards, and Waterall, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Holbem, backs, Harris Fleetwood, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, Smith, Jefferis, T. Browell, Bradshaw, and Uren, Forwards. Referee Mr. A. Shallcross of Leek.

April 6 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The Central League fixture with Southport Central formed the holiday attraction at Goodison Park. Right from the outset Everton seemed the aggressive and the Central defence was given plenty of work. It was just as well for the visitors that Wright was in good form, for he gave a really clever exhibition and saved numerous fine shots. Gault worked hard and successfully in the centre and distributed the play with great evenness. As evidence of the aggressive nature of the Everton attack, it may be mentioned that Berry was more or less a spectator. At the same time, the afforts of the Southport forwards were by no means forceful, and Balmer and Meunier were, generally speaking capable of dealing effectively with such movements as looked dangerous. At the end of half an hour's play Burton scored for Everton after the ball had been passed and repassed across the Central goal. Holt was given a couple of excellent chances to place his side on even terms, but his finishing work was weak. Half time Everton 1 goal, Southport Central nil.

In the first five minutes of the second period Southport had a glorious chance of equalising Semple put in a lofty shot which Berry could not handle, and the ball was returned to Semple who with the Everton defence beaten could only place it high over the bar. The play in the second half was more even, but Everton always appeared to have measures of their opponents. Gault added a second goal rather cleverly from a nice centre by Robinson, Wright being just too late to get the ball, although he left his goal to do so. Twice the visitors came very near scoring, and on one occasion Berry rushed the ball behind just as it was entering the corner of the net. In the last fifteen minutes Gault scored a third goal from a corner well placed by Chedgzoy. Everton were the better-balanced side, and adopted more forceful tactics than their opponents. On the play they were easily entitled to the full points. Result Everton 3, Central nil. Teams : - Everton: - Berry, goal, Balmer, and Meunier, backs, Allan, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Gault, Burton, and Robinson, forwards. Southport Central: - W. Wright, goal, Rose, and Hodges, backs, Cooper, Seller, and J. Wright, half-backs, Holt, Mosscrop, Radford, Grieve, and Semple, forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Saturday 06 April 1912
At Meadow Lane yesterday, before about 10,000 spectators. Holbein for Maconnachie was the only change. Everton started, and Browell scored from Uren's centre in the first minute. Emberton, Morley, and Iremongcr being completely beaten. Notts, playing with e gusty wind, rallied, and they had most of tho play. Scott, gave three corners under pressure from shots by Dean, Richards, and Flint, all unproductive. Everton's defence was good. Interval— Everton 1 goal, Notts County none. Everton started well on resuming, Smith, Jefferis, and Browell being busy. Iremonger was called on, but Notts return put in a big attack, Scott saving from Richards and Waterall. A corner to Notts and free kick were futile. Bradshaw was fouled at the Notts end, nothing resulting. From a corner taken by Cantrell the ball swerved out of play before Scott handled in goal, the referee disallowing the claim for goal. Result—Everton 1 goal, Notts County none.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 08 April 1912
At Roker Park, before 5,000 spectators. Sunderland were considerably weakened owing to injuries to players, and although having to face a gale during the first half they gave a fairly good exhibition. Mordue and Holley had shots, which went wide, and Bradshaw for Everton. struck the cross-bar. Walter Scott saved a certain goal from Jeffries. The wind spoiled the game, which was extremely fast. Half-time score:—Sunderland none, Everton none. Having the wind behind them, Sunderland after the interval made much more of their opportunities than had Everton, Holley scoring after thirteen minutes from splendidly placed corner by Mordue, and seven minutes later Martin tricked all opposition and added second goal. Only twice Everton became dangerous, but Sunderland's defence was sound. Holley scored the third goal a minute from time, and the fourth with the final kick.

April 8, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
It may be that the long and tedious railway journeys had put the Everton players off their game at Sunderland on Saturday, but certain it is that their quite failed to do themselves justice. It may of course be argued that the Roker Park brigade suffered from the same disadvantage for they also had their hate of trying travelling. Whatever the explanation is that the fact remains that the Wearsiders out played their opponents and any hopes, which Everton may entertain for championship honours are now very considerably distance. The prevalence of a full gate of wind did much to mar the quality of the football, and an awkward injury to Stevenson handicapped the visitors; but apart from these considerations, Sunderland fully deserved their victory. Their methods of attack was much more dogged and better calculated than that of their rivals and when they held the weather gauge in the second half they did not fail to profit by it. The game was always fast and full of incident-altogether an exciting encounter to witness-and it is only fair to Everton to say that the score is scarcely a reflex of the play. The Evertonians were quite as clever in footwork as the home side, but they did not finish with the same dash and determination.

Winning the toss, the visitors had the advantage of the wind at the outset of the encounter, and it was early evident that the boisterous breeze, however, quite upset the nice calculations of the Everton forwards, and though Bradshaw, Browell, and Jefferis got through time after time, it was only to send the leather sailing either high over the bar or wide athwart the uprights. The Sunderland forwards on the other hand, possessing a more intimate knowledge of “the lie of the land” made several very dangerous incursions into Everton territory, and it was fortunate for the Wearers of the blue jersey that the defence was thoroughly sound. Both the Scotts had shots to save at intervals, and these they coped with so well that at half-time nothing had been netted.

In the second period of the game sterling changed came over the scene. Although the gale had abated to accomodable extent the home forwards and half backs took the fullest advantage of the fistful game. They pressed continually and Holley was the first to find the net. He was offside, however, and the point was promptly disallowed. The Sunderland player; however, was by no means disheartened, for from a corner kick he scored a clever goal. From this point onwards the Evertonians not to put it too blunty were out of the hunt. Another determined attack ended in Martin adding a second goal and then with more than twenty minutes to go, Stevenson broke a small bone in one of his hands and had to retire. The one-back game puzzled the Sunderland attack for a time, but in the last five minutes they came away with a tremendous rush and Holley, who had evidently got his eye in, scored twice in the last two minutes of the game. Both shots were splendid and gave Scott to chance. It was a sensational finish and the spoils were undoubtedly due to the victors.

As has already been indicated, the Everton forwards showed plenty of skill, but did not make the best use of it. Neither Uren nor Smith quite came up to expectations, and the three inside man might have excised greater command over the ball. The halves all did admirably; Fleetwood vising with Thomson in his methods of tackling and the backs offered a fine defence. The Sunderland front line was always dangerous, and the ball figure of Buchan was ever in the picture. Their backs were also sound, and the ex-Evertonian Walter were also Scott signalised his reappearance by keeping a good goal. Sunderland: - Walter Scott, goal, Ness, and Troucher, backs, Cringan Thomson, and Guggy, half-backs, Martin, Holley, Hall, Buchan, and Mordue, forwards. Everton: - William Scott goal, Stevenson, and Holbem, backs, Harris Fleetwood, and Makepeace (Captain), half-backs, Smith, Jefferis, T. Browell, Bradshaw, and Uren, forwards. Referee F.H.Heath.

April 8, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The result of a moderate display at Goodison Park left Everton victors over Glossop by two clear goals. The first half of the game was contested very easy fashion, and neither side looked like scoring if they played until doomsday. However, after the interval Everton put a little more life into their movements, and before the finish scored twice, both goals coming from Gault. The contest did not show Everton in a very favourable light, but they were much better than Glossop, whose forwards were exceedingly weak. Berry had very little to do, and the full backs, Weller and Meunier were easily able to hold the poor Glossop forwards. Allan's busting tactics enabled him to shine in the half back line, and Gault and Chedgzoy were the pick of the forwards.

April 9 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The match at Goodison Park might have had double importance had the Blues set come a cropper at Sunderland, and so sadly merred an outside chance of champion honour. However, as Notts County ate not yet out of the wood, a Blue victory promised up improve Liverpool's tremulous position. There were important changes off both sides and the teams lined up as follows: - Everton: - Scott, goal Macconnachie (Captain) and Holbem, backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, T. Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards. Notts County: - Iremonger, goal, Morley, and West, backs, Emberton, Clamp, and Craythorpe, half-backs, Dean, A. Waterall, Flint, Richards and T. Waterall, forwards. Referee Mr. T. Robinson. Everton commenced with the sun behind them, and from a free kick, taken by Macconnachie they got down to close quarters, where Jefferis became busy, and compelled Iremonger to save. A moment later Jefferis again became troublesome to Iremonger, who got rid of a rather difficult shot at the expense of a corner, from which Jefferis made a further effort to score. For sometime the County men were kept strictly on the defensive, and Iremonger had a very anxious time of it. Morley miskicked and gave a corner from which Iremonger punched out vigorously. Beare returned and Makepeace place over the line, Bradshaw receiver a swinging pass from the right, but failed at a bold effort to head into goal. From a free kick Davidson sent the ball curling into the Notts goalmouth, which was however, well packed. The Blues seemed determined to opening their account, and at times they exerted severe pressure, but the wind kept the ball very lively. Fleetwood was deservedly applauded for dexterous work in the centre. West and Morley defended with great spirit the old Liverpool back especially showing real skill. Makepeace opened out for Bradshaw, who transferred smartly to Beare, and the winger soon brought trouble into the Notts camp. Holdem let in Richards, but Macconnachie retrieved smartly. The Blues had matters pretty much their own way in attack, with out, however, being able to finish in deadly fashion. Occasionally the County forwarsds grit away, but failed to seriously trouble the home backs.

At the end of twenty minutes Davidson raced along his wing unchallenged, and got in a swift centre, which Tom Browell dashed up to meet. Browell falling at his first distinctly happened Iremonger, and the ball entered the net. It was a clumsy kind of goal, but quite good enough to count, and, much to the satisfaction of the 18,000spectators. Beare's return to the attacking line had evidently dispend it up considerably, and the sharp pace kept up by the Blues began to tell on the Midlanders. Clever preliminaries by Makepeace benefited Davidson, who diddled. Morley cleverly and wound up with a rasping shot, Iremonger ejecting the ball from the corner of the net. This led upto another hot attack, which culminated in Beare shooting on to the roof of the stand. Fleetwood was very crafty, his headwork being admirable. Although the Blues were much the cleverer side they were inclined to take a comfortable view of the situation, or else the score might have been augrocated. A long shot from Emberton dropped awkwardly for Scott, who dodged Richard's attention just in time to clear. A free kick against Macconnachie just outside the penalty area nearly brought disaster to Scott, who at first missed the ball, and then cleared with difficulty. Had Flint and Richards been smarter they might have equalised. Everton easygoing methods looked like losing them the lead just before the interval. Half-time Everton 1, Notts County nil. Restarting the Blues raided the Notts premises smartly, Beare ultimately gaining a corner. Notts transferred operations, and when Waterall looked dangerous he was robbed by Harris. This led to the Blues renewed the attack, and Morley returned a strong forward pass from Jefferis. Harris and Fleetwood were prominent in repulsing the Laceman. From Davidson's corner kick Bradshaw made am abortive effort to head into the net. Berry, however returned cleverly to Jefferis, who had a pot at Iremonger. This led up to a stiff bombardment of the Notts fortress; yet the Blues could not effect a vital breech. Following a foul against Morley for goodness knows what, Notts broke away, and for some minutes the home defence was on the stretch. Beare was awarded a free kick outside the penalty area, and this caused Iremonger some anxiety. Then Beare secured a corner cleverly off West, Iremonger making an effective double handed punch in response. During a stiff bully in the Notts goalmouth Morley had to leave the field. He had sustained a nip in the back of his ear about an inch and a half long. Dr. Whitford was called from the stand, and attended the injured player. The injury may require stitching. Davidson slipped the opposition and racing ahead, crossed to Beare who might have been dangerous had he been more closely supported.

Of, the two custodians, Iremonger had for the more difficult task, though Everton's finishing touches were not trustful enough to be effective. Browell and Dean played height football, and the latter's return seemed to liven up the attack. Fleetwood was a treat in the centre and revelled in his work. When at close quarters the boisterous wind seemed to neutralise the home efforts so that Jefferis, Beare and Davidson each appeared to miss easy chances. In the first half the Blues seemed assured of an easy victory, but after they had scored they never came up to expectations. When Richards equalised the home defenders was cleverly circumvented, and it was the single occasions they Midlanders had fairly shaken of the opposing half backs. West's old admires were delighted to see him in form, and give such a good account of himself. The vagaries of the wind influenced play considerable, but it was not a game to enthuse about. Everton always seemed to have enough in had to win if there had been more vim, and diablerie in their concluding ventures. The spectators were spared the one-back game as Craythorne dropped back in Morley place. Thirty minutes after the restart the County men occupied a strong position in Everton territory, and as the result of pretty exchanges and effective combination, they eirumvented the home defenders gradually driving them off until Richards unmarked shot in at close quarters. Scott made a drive from the other side of the net, but arrived too late to prevent disaster. Morley retured to play just before the goal was scored. Everton might have enjoyed a stronger lead than this narrow margin, so easily lost, had they been more in earnest earlier. A free kick taken on the goal-line by Beare looked like regaining the lead, but only brought a fierce onslaught. Result Notts County 1, Everton 1.

April 9, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Stockport before a good crowd. The County were without Hougton, and Trotter, who were assisting the first eleven. The County losing the toss, faced a gale of wind and were hard pressed. After fifteen minutes, Freelick handled in defending, and Allen opened Everton's score from a penalty kick. The game was hard fought hard from this point, both sets of forwards having hard luck, the wind spoiling all efforts as effective combination. At the interval Everton led 1-0. The second half was a galliant, but Stockport could never equalised, and the Evertonians thus gained the day by 1-0.

Arbroath Herald and Advertiser for the Montrose Burghs - Friday 12 April 1912
Very few of our readers who read the brief intimation of the death of George S. Fleming which took place at Waterloo, Liverpool, realised that it was none other than Joe Fleming, the strapping footballer who frilled spectators at Gayfield about thirty years ago.

April 13 1912. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton directors have only made one change from the team, which gave such a moderate display against Notts County. Balmer taking the place of Holdem at right back. The two alterations in the Rovers team, Clennell being given a further trail at inside left, and Cameron being preferred at outside left.

April 15 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton were expected to make a bold show against the aspirants for championship honours, but they failed to stay the course; indeed after holding Blackburn at bay for three quarters of the game and then gaining the lead Everton fell away to nothing, and were decisively beaten by 3 goals to 1. The Rovers proved once more that they are fine strayers and can make a deadly rally in the second half. Although Everton scored first they were not such good value as the visitors, who occasionally played havoc with the home defence, so that Scott's alertness alone saved his side. Fleetwood was mainly ineffective owing to mistaken strategy. The centre half appeared to have been told off to shadow Chapman, but he fulfilled his mission so literally that he did very little else, and naturally his absence from the scene of battle weakened his side very seriously. Fleetwood certainly overdid the shadowing business, which is very questionable tactics, as it obviously cuts both ways.

Everton have never proved a very robust side this season, though at their best they certainly played stylish and effective football. For some weeks past there has been precious little vim about the Blues, who have retained all their gentleness of demeanour and delicacy of touch without the ability to turn it to account. Now the Rovers football is also scientific and deliberate, but in their case “the velvet scabbard holds a sword of steel,” and so their deadly thrusts a subtle diablerie of purpose which can only be counteracted by alert and resolute tactics. During the first half Macconnachie and Balmer were deceived by the easy deliberation of the Rovers' methods. Later on, when the Rovers turned on full steam, the home defence was obviously carried off its feet. Balmer deserves special praise for resolute confident work and strong clearances, and he proved himself still a reliable back though he tired perceptibly in the second half. The home attack was far from convincing and in the absence of Bradshaw, Gourlay infused some spirit into the line. Beare was good and bad in turn, and failed with his best chances.

Browell nowadays does not enjoy the phenomenal success he used to, and seems infected with his colleagues enervation; still the Hull youth won the lead for his side, and in doing so cleverly circumvented three opponents through the laurels were coolly annexed by Davidson at the finish with the easiest of goals. Blackburn proved themselves capitally blanced side, and most of their ventures were developed in a thoroughly intelligent fashion. Methods dominated every more, and their ventures were carried on systematically quite as far as they could go. Macconnachie, Harris, and Makepeace accepted the Rovers challenges resolutely enough but they were all more or less on the strength throughout. Clennell and Latheron both played a harassing, hornet like game, and the inside left proved a prime marksman, whose powers proved the undoing by soon. Simpson played in his usual imperturbable style, but forced matters quart enough for the liking of Makepeace and “Mac.” This is a fitting testimony to the Falkirk wonder's dexterity and artifice and deadly accurate centre.

When the interval arrived without mishap to either side, the home supporters fondly hoped Everton might share the honours of a bloodless battle. Then came Davidson's goal, frantically acclaimed by 35,000 throats. Alas it was an all too brief advantage. The marvellous rallying power of the Rovers asserted itself. The possibility of defeat nerved them to supreme efforts, and they swept through the home defence masterfully to gain a strong vantage ground all too near Scott, before whom the ball was swiftly passed and repassed. Ultimately the ball came to Clennell who was very close in, if not abaclutely offside; anyway he made no bones about noting, and thereby put the Rev Mr. Marsh in a quandary, which he got out of by consulting both linesmen. The Blues were very sore that their unanimous appeal was dismissed. They could not forget and forgive, and this proved their undoing because before they could settle down again the Rovers dealt them another stunning blow, Clennell beating Scott very cleverly at the finish. Everton had no heart left to fight it out, and five minutes after Davidson's initial goal looked a well whipped team. A third goal came from Latheron, who made a passage for himself between Macconnachie and Balmer with ridiouslous case. It was a somewhat inglorious termination to a well-contested game, and perhaps Everton deserved a little sympathy over Clennell's equalising shot. Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris Fleetwood, and Makepeace. half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, T. Browell, Gourlay and Davidson, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Robinson, goal, Crompton, and Cowell, backs, Walmsley, Smith, and Bradshaw, half-backs Simpson, Latheron, Chapman, Clennell, and Cameron forwards.

April 15, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton's winning sequence was broken at Blackburn, where the Rovers won in comfortable fashion by 3 goals to nil. This rather heavy defeat spoils the Blues recent record. For in their last five games they have scored 18 goals against 2, and during the holiday's recorded 9 goals against the opponents nil.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 15 April 1912
At Goodison Park, in fine weather, before thirty-five thousand spectators. Everton played Balmer for Holbein and Gourlay for Bradshaw, while Cahpman reappeared at centre forward for the Rovers. Early in the game play favoured the Rovers, but Everton advanced, and Gourlay skimmed the bat with a fine shot. Play was fast, and although neither keeper was severely trouibled, both teams played well, but the finishing was not too good. Interval; Everton none, Blackburn Rovers none. Everton were the first to become aggressive on resuming, and Crompton was hard pressed for a time. At the other end Scott saved finely from Latheron, and play continued of an interesting character, and after fourteen minutes Davidson scored for Everton, after Browell had hit the post. Clennell equalised soon afterwards, and the same player added a second, whilst near the finish Latheron scored a third goal, Everton being a well-beaten team. Result; Everton 1 goal, Blackburn Rovers 3 goals.

April 16 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Bolton in simply weather before 2,000 spectators. Bolton gave a trial to two local Barnes and Greenhalgh, whilst the Everton team included Holbem, Smith, and Uren. Everton started against the breeze, but after seven minutes play, Barnett beat Holbem and centred for Everton to shoot into an open goal. Bolton forced matters afterwards, Everton's clever forward play being well checked until Gault, with a lovely flying shot from thirty yards' range, equalised. He ought to have converted a fine centre from Uren, shooting right at Newton's prostrate body. Andy Browell scored a second goal with a long shot, in trying to save which Newton twisted his knee and retired. Leather going in goal. Gault scores the third and fourth goals for Everton. Greenhalgh replying for Bolton half-time Everton 4, Bolton Wanderers 2. With a rearranged team Bolton's ten players improved in the second half, but Gault scored a fifth for Everton, and later shot over after beating both backs. Everton played clever football, but Greenhalgh almost beat Berry after smart dribble, whilst Holbem robbed Barnett close in Bolton played pluckily, Slater doing prodigious work at full back. The Wanderers appealed in vain for a penalty when Holbem apparently knocked the ball down. Gault scored again. Result; Everton 6, Bolton 2.

Hull Daily Mail-Thursday 18 April 1912
Mr. John Fare formerly director of Liverpool club, has been appointed to a position by Everton director. He will report likely players to the Goodison Park people with a view to their being signed on.

April 20, 1912. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton have a big task before them at Sheffield against the Wednesday eleven, who is next to them in the table. Three changes have been made in the Everton team. Holbem returns to the right back position, and Beare and Davidson have been dropped again in favour of Smith, and Uren. Gourlay again doing duty for Bradshaw at inside left.

April 22, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Had the Evertonians shown the same form a little earlier in the season, which they displayed at Owlerton on Saturday, it is more than probable that they would have attained championship honours. Their rally has come a little too late, but again Sheffield Wednesday they gave the crowd a taste of their real quality's. It is not over praising them to say that a better exhibition of class football has rarely been seen this season, and the Sheffield spectators were not slow to recognise this. In the first period of the game there was, it is true, not very much to chosen between the sides, but in the later stages the Evertonians demonstrated their superiority over an admittedly fast and clever side. Their forwards work was particularly good, the whole line working with a harmony and cohesion that was altogether admirable. The game throughout was played in the best possible spirit, and with a touch of summer in the air the conditions were altogether ideal.

Everton showed the way to their opponents by setting the pace strongly, and it was not long before the home defence was given plenty of work to do. Young Browell playing it at the top of his form, led attack after attack on Davison's charge, and after rather less than half an hour play's, Jefferis scored a capital goal. This success seemed to stimulate the Evertonians considerably, for they came along from the centre line in combined array, and Browell netted the second goal with a rattling good shot. From this point up to the interval the visitors were distinctly the better side and they crossed over with the lead indicated. In the second half their footwork was exceptionally clever, but the Wednesday players were by no means disposed of, Kirkman and McLean being especially troublesome. For a period Everton were forced to act strictly on the defence, and following upon a struggle in front of Scott, Wilson worked his way through, and scored. The closing stages of the content in spite of the sunny weather, were of a ding-done character, and ten minutes from time Browell, who was lying well up placed a third goal to Everton's credit. Many through the centre forward was offside when he shot, but the referee had no hesitation in allowing the goal. The Wednesday forwards played up gamely, towards the finish, but they had to submit themselves beaten by a better side.

Where all the members of the team, were good it is unnecessary to individualize at any length. The forward line, as we have already indicated worked with clocklike precision. Browell not only feeding his wings well, but shooting strongly whenever opportunity offered. Jefferis and Gourlay both did good work and the outside man were occasionally at fault their sins of omission were not serious. The three half-backs maintained their best traditions, and though both Holbem and Macconnachie were more than once a trifle shaky they proved splendid defences. Scott had comparatively little to do, but he did that little well. Teams : - Sheffield Wednesday: - Davidison, goal, Worrall, and Spoors, backs, Brittleton, McSkimming, Campbell, half-backs Kirkham, Glennon, McLean Wilson, and Robertson, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Holbem and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Smith, Jefferis, Browell, Gourlay, and Uren, forwards. Referee J.G.A. Sharpe .

January 22 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
After having by far the greater portion of the play, Everton could only divide the points with Blackpool. If the Blues had infused a little more dash into their play they would certainly have gained the maximum points Gault scored the initial goal for the Blues, after smartly keeping the ball is play. Then the visitors equalised through Clark, and this was the state of the game at the interval. Both sides scored from a penalty kick in the second half, Gault converting for Everton and Bainbridge for Blackpool (Balmer grassed Clark). In the latter portion of the second half Everton pressed continuously, but kidd was effective to all the shots that came his way. Hodge and Kelly, who made their first appearance with the Blues gave a promising display. Gault was the outstanding figure in the forward line, and but for his lack of inches would make an ideal centre forward. Weller also did excellent work in the rear division. Everton: - Hodge, goal, Weller, and Balmer, backs, Allan, A. Browell, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Kelly, Gault, Robinson, and Davidson, forwards. Blackpool: - Kidd, goal, Dollin, and Gaskell, backs, Bainbridge, Walters, and T. Clark, half-backs, H. Ball, Metcalf, Cowie, W. Clark, and Nesbit, forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 22 April 1912
At Owlerton, in fine weather, before 6,000 people, Wednesday had to face a strong sun, and play was lively from the start, both sides atatcking in turn. Everton, if anything, had the best of the exchanges. The visitors' goal underwent somne narrow escapes. Mclean on one occasion having a fine chance. After half-an-hour's play Jefferis and Browell scored for the visitors. Interval; Sheffield Wednesday none, Everton two. In the second half Wednesday played strongly, but the Everton defence held out. Kitchen on one occasion had a great shot stopped by Scott. Browell made several attempts to break through the home defence, but on each occasion play gravitated to the visitors' end. Wilson at length opened the home team's score, but just before the close Browell put Everton further ahead. Result; Sheffield Wednesday 1, Evertton 3

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Tuesday 23 April 1912
Played at Goodison Park, yesterday, in fine weather, before 6,000 spectators. The Albion played a reserve eleven, but Everton were at full strength, with the exception Harris. The Throstles started well, Scott having many anxious moments, but eventually Everton took the game in hand. Moorhoad saved well from Browell, who, however, scored in twenty-five minutes. Gourley was fouled in the penalty area. Makepeace scoring from the resulting luck. At the interval Everton led by 2 goals to none. Resuming. Everton made headway, and Moorhead saved cleverly from Makepeace at the expense of a corner, at the other end the Albion went away in fine style, but Gregory shot wide. Everton now showed their superiority, and Browel! hit the post with fine drive from a difficult position. After fruitless visits by the Albion Uren scored a third goal from corner. Everton were the better side, and held the Albion, the latter only occasionally becoming dangerous. Result: —Everton 3 goals, West Brouiwich Albion none.

APRIL 23 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
As was only to be expected West Bromwich Albion field a completely different side from that which appeared in the final for their rearranged fixture with Everton at Goodison last evening. Indeed, not one member of the Cup team was called upon, these players having gone to Droitwich. The new team gave an excellent account of itself in the first half, and certainly tried hard. Nevertheless, the Midland club must be prepared to pay a heavy price to the League for having reserved their players. Of course, the spectators would have liked to see the team, which meets Barnsley on Wednesday, but it is doubtful if Everton would have been extended so much as they were, and the play as a spectacle would have largely suffered. As it was the young players set a rousing pace, and for a time held the Evertonians within their own half. Fortunaterly the backs played well, and an unexpected goal turned the tale in the home team's favour. Yet the visitors hardly deserved to be two goals down at the interval. Everton had a very comfortable game in the second half, the Albion forwards failing to live up to their promise. So Everton further strengthened their League position with a victory by 3-0. The forwards after a bad start gave a smart display of footwoot. Browell was ever a danger and in addition to deserving his goal played a splendid game. Uren and Smith were quite incapable of responding to his papers until the second half when they gave example of their true worth. The halves did well. Allan working an excellent substitute for Harris, Holbem and Macconnachie were perfect a back and Scott had very little to do. Among the young Albion men, Moorwood the goalkeeper and Smith the right back in the defence were conspicuous. Hibbett was the best of the half-backs and forward Gregory and Morris showed very good footwork with moderate support.

The young Albion men gave a dashing display in the early stages, and Everton were almost wholley on the defensive. Morris after missing a centre from the right headed just wide; and following an injury to Makepeace. Scott had a warm five minutes. He punched clear from Lloyd, but before he recovered Waterhouse made a terrific drive, which Holbem intercepted, saving a virtual goal. Scott fisted a long punt from Smith, but eventually got the ball away. Subsequently Everton had a look in though long forward passes to Browell were of little help as both backs gave him little scope. The Everton forwards showed little concerned action, whereas the Albion qunintet showed plenty of speed and kept the game opened. Lloyd had a rare chance, when he preferred to beat Holbem and thereby lost possession. However, the Albion were the chief attackers. Jefferis and Browell worked well for openings but Uren and Smith failed to improve. True Browell missed an open goal from Urens centre, and Jefferis hesitating missed a grand opening. After thirty minutes play, however, Smith centred and Smith, the Albion back heading towards his own goal enabled Browell to race through and tip the ball over Moorwood's head into the net. Everton played strongly towards the interval and from Browell's pass Gourlay was through when he was badly tipped. A penalty kick , at once given, and Makepeace scored. Everton were always playing well within themselves in the closing ten minutes of the half.

On resuming the home forwards attacked with excellent decision. Makepeace recovered from a corner, and shot powerfully. Moorwood made a wonderful save by fisting over the bar. Gourlay hesitated and lost his chance right in front of the goal, while Gregory whose footwork was very neat, was similarly to blame. Uren improved. Four Everton forwards finessed for quite a prolonged period comparatively in front of the Albion goal. Their hesitation was ridiculous and eventually Allan had to dash in, and drove the ball over the bar. Everton here about were continually on the aggressive, and Browell playing particular well hit the bar with a grand shot. Smith put in some smart overhead hooks and centres. It was well that the Albion backs kicked and tackled well. Nevertheless Allan made an opening for Smith, so well that when he latter transferred to Gourlay, he should have scored easily. Twenty minutes from the restart Everton further increased their lead. Browell had hard luck with a shot that struck the inside of the bar and came out; but later he headed a corner in to Ureh, who drove the ball into the net at express speed. Both extreme wingers distinctly improved in this half, Smith making several clever runs, Holbem and Macconnachie had a very easy time, and Scott had only one tame shot to clear. The Albion had greatly deteriorated forward, so the game fizzled out. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Holbem, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Allan, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Smith, Jefferis, Browell, Gourlay, and Uren forwards. Albion: - Moorwood, goal, Smith, and Woods, backs, Hibbert, Waterhouse, and Manners half-backs Williamson, Gregory, Dearey, Morris, and Lloyd forwards. Referee J. H. Pearson, Crewe.

April 25, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Orrell Park, last evening a match took place between Dominion and a team representing Everton Combination, which included well-known players in Hodge, Pinkney, Doran and Robinson. There was a good muster of spectators when Everton winning the toss, took advantage of the slope. Dominion showed up well, and at last opened the scoring after a severe bombardment on the Everton goal. Everton then attacked strongly and Wainwright fouling in the penalty area Pinkney equalised the score. Even play followed . half-time arrived with the score one each. The second half opened in favour of Everton, but both keepers had some difficult shots to save. The end arrived with a draw of one goal each, the home team giving a capital display against their more experienced opponents.

April 26 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Goodison Park last evening, Everton Reserves beat Liverpool Reserves by 3 goals to 2 in a match which started in an end-of-the-season manner, but terminated amid much excitement. The concluding play finished fast and even, and it was in this period that Caldwell, the ex-Reading goalkeeper who was making his first appearance for Everton,, proved his worth. McDonald drove in at a terrific pace, and Caldwell made the shot appear quite simple. In the last few moments he took shots from Robinson and Holden in a clever manner. Two ourious and unusual features of the game concerned the officials in charge of the game. Mr. Stan Peers colliding with Grenyer,, with nasty effects for boths, and Lister colliding with a linesman who was knocked down on the turf. Everton led at half-time b 2 goals to 1. Lister scoring for Liverpool after an Everton back had blundered. Gault rook with success a penalty which given for Chorlton handling in the penalty area. Davidson gained the lead for Everton by pushing the ball through Chorlton's outstretched legs and scoring readily. In the second half Everton increased their lead through Gault, after Chorlton had missed his kick, Burton in some strong individual work. Lister reduced the margin with a shot from close range, a cross from the right giving him the opportunity. Everton were just value for their victory considering they played with a damaged back. Weller having hurt his thigh. The Everton defence was strong, and the half-back line got through a lot of good work. Forward, the winners were all of good standard, and Chedgzoy about the best. Liverpool were best in Marlone, Holden, Lister, and McDonald the last-named had not a great deal to do. The teams were Everton:- Caldwell, goal, Weller, and Meunier, backs, Allan, A. Browell, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Robinson, Gault, Burton, and Davidson, forwards. Liverpool: - Malone, goal Chorlton, and Crawford, backs, Holden, Robinson, and McConnell, half-backs, McDonald, Miller, Rowlands, W. Stuart, and Lister, forwards.

April 27 1912. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton team, which will be at full strength, is not likely to sacrifice its position of second in command by allowing the Bury to win, in the closing League match at Goodison this afternoon.

April 29, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Poor Bury have cut such a sorry figure this season, and have “graduated” for Second Division honours in such decided fashion that Everton supporters confidently expected on Saturday the Blues to extract a couple of points from the unlucky “Shakers” without turning a hair, so to speak. Bury however, turned up in no mood to be extinguished ingloriously by the runners up for the championship and affected a very creditable draw. The early stages of the game did not give much promise of exciting football, for the Blues yielded to the temptation of attempting the” cat-and-mouse” game with their visitors. Bury may have scored few points this season, but they are now much better than their points suggest, Everton's stylish, but nonchalant methods, were resented, and the ”Shakers” retaliated by vigorously assailing their condescending hosts. After the interval Everton showed a little more respect for their adversaries, and took off the gloves,” so to speak. Smith Browell, and Uren in turn distinguished themselves with enterprising foraging which put severe pressure on the “Shakers” defence. Little foot, however, fairly filled the goal, when danger threatened, and sometimes showed extraordinary dexterity. At length Foot ventured out to assist just as Browell cleverly put the ball over his head and so the Bury warden had the mortification of seeing the ball enter the net before he could prevent it. The goal to the “Shakers” was like a red rag to a bull and they hurled themselves on to the home defenders with such persistency that Brown put on an equaliser. Bury continued to make a bold bid for full points, and so the second half was full of life after all, despite a tame commencement. Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, Holbem, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Smith, Jefferis, Browell, Gourlay, and Ureh, forwards. Bury: - Foot, goal, Greaver, and Millington, backs, Humphreys, Butler, and Birnie, half-backs, Brown Kay, Smith, and Duffy, forwards.

April 29 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton's win at Bury enabled them to finish just above the Anfielders. No more detail.
Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Weller and Meunier backs, Allan, A. Browell, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Robinson, Gault, Burton, and Davidson forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 29 April 1912
At Goodison Park, before 6,000 spectators. Play opened at a brisk pace. Browell having a good chance, but he shot wide, and at the other end Scott saved from Duffy. Generally, however, the game was not very interesting one and neither keeper was unduly troubled, shots at goal being few and far between. Bury quite their own. Interval Everton none. Bury none. The play on resuming was only moderate, and Bury were quite as good their opponents, neither keeper being seriouly troubled. The best effort came from Walter Smith who narrowlv missed with fine shot. Makepeace failed with good opening, and Brown also failed at the other end. Browell later scored for Everton and Brown equalized and the game draw of goal each.

Dundee Courier - Tuesday 30 April 1912
Everton have signed on the following players for next season —Caldwell, Hodge, Brownlow, M'Connaohie, Holbein, Stevenson. Harris, Fleetwood, Makepeace. Greenyer, A. Browell, Smith. Beare, Chedzoy, Gourlay. T. Browell, Bradshaw, Davidson, Uren, and Jefferis. Scott has been placed on the transfer list.


Hull Daily Mail - Wednesday 01 May 1912
J. Taylor, the veteran Everton player, is not to be retianed and R. Balmer will be another favourite missing from Goodison next seaosn. Gault has been signed, and there are hopes that Allan may yet come to terms with Everton.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Friday 03 May 1912
Everton have signed for next season William Murray, a centre forward, whom they transfered to Burslem Port Vale only a few months ago. Scott, the Irish International goalkeeper, has not yet signed on for his old club.

May 4 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The Everton club have decided not to resign William Scott, the Irish international goalkeeper, and have placed him on the transfer list at a fee of £1,000. Mr. Cuff, the club secretary, has written to Scott to this effort.

May 6, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Liverpool Senior Cup Final
Football folk are over to the fore in the came of sweet charity. The practice games in August being in funds each year in aid of the hospitals, and in a number of cup ties charity is the ruling spirit. Owing to the crush of fixtures in the last month of the season, the Football Association decreed that clubs might play in May, providing the receipts were allocated to the Titanic fund. As a consequence Everton and Liverpool generously forsook their shares of the gate receipts of the Liverpool Cup Final, which yielded £287 excluding collections taken at the Goodison Park ground. Another goalless draw was the result of the meeting of the local rivals, and the cup will be held jointly, medals being presented to each members playing on Saturday. Colonel McFie was present, but his duty to presenting the cup to the winners was frustrated, when Blues and Reds meet, no matter what the competition, a large crowd assembles, and Saturday's gate probably reached 10,000 –a good tribute to the sporting proclivities of the local folk and to their desire to help the cause of charity. The pity was that the players did not gave the crowd something to enthuse over, although doubtless the exceptionally hard grounds they have played on have made them yearn for a long rest from football stride. On Saturday the elements were more suitable for football than cricket, for rain had fallen and made the top turf greasy, the result being that many times a player was well placed and attempted to shoot, only to find himself thrown to the ground. Details of the somewhat careless yet at times pretty, football are not needed, save to tell of the shot that Browell was responsible for in the first minute. There was one appeal to Referee Butterfield for a penalty kick, but the official would not have it as warrant. The feature of the play was the defence of Campbell, Longsworth, and Pursell –a trio that will cause Liverpool to rise high in next season's chart if only the forwards will show a capacity for getting goals. It is true that once Campell fumbled a ball that might have beaten him; but taking the game throughout, he was clever and smart in clearing his lines, and the general conception locally is that he is every bit as good as Hardy was when the Chesterfield man was at his prime. The backs were safer than at any period of the season, and their length of kick and judgement kept Everton, who attacked severely in spasms, from breaking down the clean record. At half-back Robinson appeared for Peake, who was unable to make the journey from Wales and the veteran as on a former occasion when called in at the last moment to face Everton at their home was in good form. The wing half-backs were strong, and McKinlay made raids upon the Everton goal, which was well guarded by Macconnachie and Caldwell. Everton at half-back were strong, and Grenyer did many good things, so that Makepeace was not missed. One was an extraordinary juggle with the ball when he had fallen. He gripped the ball between both feet, and turning a somersault transferred it to a companion. Harris tried hard to gain his first goal for Everton, but the season ended without the popular Irishman succeeding. The attacks were disjoined, even though Browell showed further ability in keeping his wings working harmonically. Bradshaw was the least prominent and Gourlay and Chedgzoy paired well. Beare did some smart things, but found Longsworth a sprinter. The Anfield attack was best represented by J. Stewart –despite the facts that he missed two sound positions for goal making –and Goddard, though the whole line was not convincing when near goal. But “charity covereth a multitude of sins”, and consequently one must be charitable to the footballers who have earned a rest and have readily overturn the season so that the Titanic funds might be swailed. Result Everton 0, Liverpool 0. Teams: - Everton: - Caldwell, goal, Holbem, and MaConnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Gourlay, Browell, Bradshaw, and Beare forwards. Liverpool: - Campbell, goal, Longsworth, and Pursell, backs, Scott, Peake, and Mackinley, half-backs, Goddard (Captain), Bovill, T. Gracie, Stewart, and Lacey, forwards. Referee Mr. Butterfield.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 22 May 1912
After all, Houston, the Irish International forward, for whom Glasgow Rangers and Everton were alleged to have made high bids, is to remain at Belfast next Season. he has just resigned for Linfield.

May 24 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The annual meeting of the directors and shareholders of the Everton Football Club, Ltd; took place in the Central Hall last evening. Dr. Whitford presided over a large attendance, the other directors present being Dr. Baxter, Messrs, R. Wilson . Wade, B. Kelly, J. Davies W.R.Clayton D.Kirkwood H. Allman, and Mr., W. C. Cuff (Secretary). The Chairman in prospsing the adoption of the balance sheet, said the meeting would notice that a very large sum of money had been paid for wages and transfer fees. That had caused the board great anxiety, and they had paid more for transfer fees than ever before. It should be remembered, however, that it had been an exceptional year, and the directors trusted that they had made arrangements to get brilliant juniors instead of paying more heavy foes (hear, hear). He might assure the meeting that it was not their pleasure to pay such large sums, but the leading clubs had been doing it, and they had to do the same. The average League gates were higher than last year in spite of the fact that they had been unfortunate in the matter of weather, and they were distinctly unfortunate with regard to the Cup-ties. They had also suffered through inefficient referesting, and he believed that they had lost at least two important matches from this cause. He thought they had a very fine team, and though they fell away latterly he was of opinion that they had the most scientific team in Great Britain (“No no”). “ Well, I am giving you my judgement” declared Dr. Whitford, “ and their cleverness is shown by the fact that they finished second in the League competition “ (applause). Mr. Wade seconded the resolution.

A shareholder said he would like to know why William Scott, the goalkeeper, had not been retained at the full wage of £4 a week. The Chairman replied that the board had not thought it desirable to sign him on, and no further was necessary. His observations led to some uproar, and the Chairman, speaking with warmth, said –“ if you elect nine directors to manage your affairs, you must allow them to manage them. If they do not give you satisfaction, by all means get rid of them “ (hear hear, and applause”). The resolution was then put to the meeting and carried. Mr. Clayton moved, and Mr. Davies seconded, the payment of a dividend of 5 per cent, which was at once adopted.

Alderman Taggett raised an old question in asking that the clubs should take the lead in advocating the total abolition of football on Good Friday. A shareholder said they were not there to advocate religion, but sport. A large majority at last meeting defeated the same motion of Alderman Taggart. There were thousands of working men, who could no see football matches except on Good Friday and Bank Holiday. Another shareholders said it would be time to stop football on Good Friday when they stopped Sunday golf, and lawn tennis for the better classes (applause). The Chairman said no player was compelled to play on Good Friday and no Roman Catholic need attend, if he did not want to. A large majority lost Alderman Taggarts resolution. The retiring directors were Messrs Clayton Kirkwood, and Wilson. The last named gentleman did not offer himself for re-election. Mr. E. A. Bainbridge and Mr. Andrews Coffey offered themselves candidates. The results of the voting which evoked considerable interest, was as follows: - Kirkwood 360; Clayton 346; and Bainbridge 211. The first three named gentlemen were duly declared elected. Mr. Cuff announced that the following players had been engaged for the coming season: - Goalkeepers W. Bromilow, J. H. Caldwell, and W' Hodge, Full backs, W. Holbem, J. S. Macconnachie, and W. Stevenson, Half-backs A. Browell, T. Fleetwood, A. Grenyer, V. Harris, and H. Makepeace, Forwards. G. Beare, A. Berry, T. Browell, F. Bradshaw, S. Chedgzoy, W. Davidson, W. E. Gault, J. Gourlay, F. Jefferis, W. Murray, T.J.D. Robinson, and H.J.Uren.

Portsmouth Evening News - Saturday 01 June 1912
Richard F. Turner, Preston North End's outside left, who previously played with Everton and Leciester Fosse, yesterday signed for Darlington.

Hugh Adamson
Dundee Courier-Saturday 8 June 1912
Hugh Adam son, late of Everton and Bolton Wanderers, has received employment at the Rosyth Naval Base. The Dunfermline Athletic would like to secure him from the Wanderers. Adamson is Dunfermline lad.

June 8, 1912. The Dundee Courier
Hugh Adamson, late of Everton and Bolton Wanderers, has received employment at the Rosyth Naval Base. The Dunferline Athletic would like to secure him from the Wanderers. Adamson is a Dunermline lad.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 10 June 1912
Mr. Herbert Chapman, the new Leeds Citv secretary, announces that he has signed on Evelyn Lintott, the ex-English International half back from Bradford City, and John Allan, a right half back who has seen considerable service with Everton during the last two years.
Allan, the other half back, a Newcastle man of 22 years of age. standing 5ft. 8in., and weighing 12st. For two seasons and a half he has been with Everton during which period he played 28 First Division games. Her has been obatined at the reduced transfer fee of $100.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 12 June 1912
Everton have signed on a Scottish junior International in J. McCulloch of Larkhill United.
Southampton may secure the services of A. Burton, the Everton and ex-Bristol City player.

June 18 1912. The Liverpool EchoWe are able to state authoritatively that Arthur Berry the famous international outside tight has signed for Liverpool, and will play for the Liverpool club regularly next season. thus the popular local amateur once more transfer to the red jersey. When he first played for Liverpool Berry had not won honours in the football world, but when he secured an international cap and became noted as the best amateur outside right in the country. Many clubs would have been glad of his signature. Everton were fortunate enough to sign him, and two seasons ago he played a conspicuous part in League and cup success. Everton hoped to have him playing for them last season, but megre, while he favoured Wrexham with his signature, and did not fail them.

Everton record 1909-10, 6 League apps, 2 goals,
1910-11, 21 League apps, 8 goals. 2 Fac apps, Total 27 League apps, 8 goals. 2 Fa Cup apps.

Dundee Courier - Wednesday 19 June 1912
Arthur Berry, the international amateur outside right, has signed for Liverpool, and will play regularly next season. Berry formerly played for Liverpool and Fulham, and after two seasons with Everton last year assisted Wrexham. An Oxford blue, he has played for England against Ireland in amateur and more important international games. A member of the English team in the Olympio games, he a son of Mr Edwin Berry, former chairman of Liverpool Club. Berry is reading for tho Bar, and expects to be called shortly.

Dundee Courier - Wednesday 19 June 1912
Dr. J.C. Baxter, Everton F.C, has been elected to represent Division 3 at the English Football Association Council for next season.

June 20, 1912. The Liverpool Echo.
A genuine surprise to local football folks is the apparent unwillingness of outside left to do business with a number off good players on the transfer list of Everton capable of much valuable service to an enterprising club. However, last nigh one of the members whom Everton decided not to re-engage. J. B. Meunier, who has signed for the second Division team Lincoln City. Meunier has been much service in local football. A popular favourite with Southport Central, he established himself in the Everton Reserves team, and indeed was on the verge of the senior eleven, playing in a number of games with credit. Meunier is an excellent type of full back, well endowed physical.

Everton record: - 1910-11 4 League apps,
• 1 League apps, Total 5 League apps.

Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 26 June 1912
Chester Football Club have signed on Wynne, a centre forward from Shirlingshire who last back-end played as an amateur with Everton but is now a professional.

Staffordshire Sentinel - Saturday 29 June 1912
The Rev. W. C. Jordan, the famous English amateur international forward, formerly of West Bromwich Albion and Everton, has promised to assist Wolverhampton Wanderers next season.

April 1912