Everton Independent Research Data


Albion at Everton.
Liverpool Echo - Friday 03 April 1914
The West Albion club's visits to Goodison Park are always interesting, and though there is nothing hanging upon the match to-morrow at Walton, a good-sized crowd should attend. They will probably see better football than usual, because the fierce first-time football that is so necessary when points are wanted won't be necessary tomorrow, and the grace of football should pretty prominent. Of course, Pennington and M'Neal are absent, but the Albion's absentees do not worry the directors much, because they have some young bloods worth trying; —Albion always have, and are not afraid of giving them a first-team run Dost remember when they played Everton and beat them easily ? It was about the time Albion had a Cup-tie on, and the Albion rested all their men. The F.A. ignored the result the frame, and fined the Albion heavily. The following are the probable sides:— EVERTON Fern Thompson Weller Fleetwood Grenyer Chedgzoy Jefferie, Parker Clennel Harrison Gregory Swift Jephcott Baidtieley Bowser Wood Smith Pearson WEST BROMWICH ALBION

Liverpool Echo - Saturday 04 April 1914
A change is announced in the Everton team for this afternoon. Fleetwood indisposed, and Wareing will take his place at centre half back. The West Bromwich Albion team will be: —Pearson; Smith. Wood; Baddeley, Bowser, Waterhouse; Jephcott, Bentley, Swift, Morris, and Shearman.

April 6, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
The number of easy chances missed was the outstanding feature of the game at Goodison Park, on Saturday. Everton won by a two clear goals margin, but if their forwards had shown anything approaching proper finish they would have won by a much larger margin. West Bromwich certainly did not do credit to the high position they occupy in the table, but it must be remembered that the demands of the International match robbed them of two such stalwarts as Pennington and McNeal, while two changes had to be made in the forward line, Shearman playing at outside left, with Morris as his partner. The new left wing did not come up to expectations, and all three of the inside men showed an entire lack of penetrative skill. Some clever work was shown individually, but nothing seemed to run right for the West Bromwich forwards when near goal. Jephcott repeatedly outwitted Macconnachie and sent across accurate centres, but the openings thus created were either lost through dalliance or the shot charged down by the backs. Everton did most of the attacking, and they were the better team, although they also had their shortcomings. They allowed a lot of fierce attacking to go to waste in the second half through sheer lack of finishing power. Parker scored one magnificent goal, and failed later when presented with easy chances, while Clennell too, refused to accept good opportunities. The display, taken on the whole, revealed, many rough edges. One signal weakness was the inability of the half backs to co-operate with the men in front of them. There was never a proper understanding between them, and as a consequence the play, was sadly disjoined. Everton obtained their two goals in quick successive. After fifteen minutes' play Chedgzoy capped a fine sprint with an equally fine centres. Clennell making no mistake in finding the net. Immediately following Parker added a second with a terrific drive from twenty yards range.

The nearest approach to scoring by West Bromwich was from a well-placed centre by Jephcott. When Morris shot he was only a couple of yards from goal, and Fern saved, but did not get the ball away. An exciting scrimmage followed almost on the goal line, and although hemmed in by half a dozen players, Fern succeeded in making good his clearance. One curious feature was that three appeals for penalty kicks for handling in front of goal passed unheeded. In the case of Wareing's infringement it was most palpable, but this hardship on the visitors were more than balanced in the second half when the West Bromwich backs twice handled in the penalty area. There were many tame periods in the latter stages, and although Pearson made one fine save from Jefferis, twice Parker, who failed when presented with two open goals from centres by Chedgzoy, should have beaten him. The one pleasing feature of the game from an Everton point of view was the sound work of Fern in goal, and the big form shown by Chedgzoy. The latter has fully recovered from his recent injury, and he combined with his rare speed great resource, and his centring was perfect. If only all the chances he provided had been accepted Everton would have won by a margin of half a dozen goals. Jefferis was not as prominent as he sometimes is, and Parker was trustful, but inclined to be erratic in front of goal. Wareing was not as useful as Fleetwood, whose place he took, and Weller and Grenyer were not seen at their best. Thompson played a great game at full back, and he was much more reliable than Macconnachie, who was repeatedly beaten by Jeptcott. The latter was the pick of the West Bromwich forwards, and the new left wing partnership of Shearman, and Morris did not work well. The absence of the commanding influence of Pennington was an important factor in the failure of the West Bromwich forwards, and McNeal also was badly missed. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Weller, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. West Bromwich Albion: - Pearson, goal, Smith, and Wood, backs, Badderley, Bowser, and Waterhouse, half-backs, Jephscott, Bentley, Swift, Morris, and Shearman, forwards. Referee A. Shakcross.

WEDNESDAY 8 April 1914. The Liverpool Echo
By the Critic
Everton have a stiff programme to go through, and the directors occupied sometime last evening in selecting the teams. Here are the chosen elevens for the various games;-
Good Friday (v Burnley) at Turf Moor; Fern; Thompson, MaConnachie; Weller, Wareing and Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison
Saturday (v. Sheffield Wednesday) at Sheffield-Fern; Thompson, and MaConnachie; Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer; Houston, Nuttall, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison.
Easter Monday (v. Oldham Athletic) at Goodison Park-Fern; Thompson and MaConnachie; Weller, Fleetwood, and Makepeace; Chedgzoy, Nuttall, Parker, Clennell and Harrison.
It will be noticed that changes have been resorted to in order to keep up the strength of the side. Harris, Makepeace, Bradshaw, Nuttall, and Houston are all taking turns, and on paper the eleven appear to be quite strong.

Everton reserves
Like their seniors Everton reserves are trebly engaged during the holidays, meeting Burnley reserves and Oldham Athletic Reserves under Central league auspices respectively on Good Friday and Easter Monday; while on Saturday they oppose a side representing the West Monmouthshire League at Goodison Park the following are the teams;
Good Friday (v. Burnley Reserves), Goodison Park, 3-30;- Mitchell; Stevenson, and Simpson; Johnson, Challinor, and Roy; Beare, Brannick, Page, Wright, and Palmer.
Saturday (v. Monmouthshire League); Goodison Park 3-30;- Peevor; Page and Stalker; Johnson, Lee, and Kirby; Beare, A. N. Other, Wright, Coffey, and Palmer.
Monday (v. Oldham Athletic Res) at Boundary Park- Mitchell; Stevenson, and Simpson; Challinor, Wareing and Roy; Houston, Brannick, Page, Wright and Palmer.

April 8, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton have a stiff programme to get through during the holidays, for the League team are due at Turf Moor on Friday, after which they travel to Sheffield, while the Wednesday will be opposed on Saturday. On Easter Monday, Oldham Athletic are entertained, and at their meeting last night the Everton directors selected the following teams to do duty in these games. Friday against Burnley, Fern, Thompson, and Macconnachie, Weller, Wareing, Grenyer, Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison.
Against Sheffield Wednesday, Fern, Thompson, Macconnachie, Harris, Fleetwood, Grenyer, Houston, Nuttall, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison.
Easter Monday, against Oldham, Fern, Thompson, Macconnachie, Weller, Fleetwood, Makepeace, Chedgzoy, Nuttall, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison

April 11, 1914. The Liverpool Football Echo
Visitors One Up at Half-Time
Spirited Game
Mitchell Excels
Good News Concerning Fern
(By F.E.H) (Charles Leeds)
Everton have a good record on the Wednesday ground and they hoped to place another won in their credit there today. Mitchell took the place of Fern in goal. The latter we were informed was not seriously injured. The Evertonians feeling fresh after their motoring experience yesterday made the journey to Sheffield in good time this morning reaching the cutlery city at one o'clock. The weather was spring like and though the surface of the playing patch was greasy, the going was quite good when the game commenced. Grenyer who had strained a muscle was a doubtful starter until the last moment, when he decided to play. In other respects the team was as selected. The main feature about the composition of the home eleven was the absence Briddleton. Teams; Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson and Macconnachie, backs; Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs; Houston, Nuttall, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison, forwards. Wednesday;- Davison, goal; McSkimming and Spoors, backs; Brittleton, Parkes, and Campbell, half-backs; L. Burkinshaw, J.D. Burkinshaw, McLean, Wilson and Robertson, forwards. There were 12,000 spectators present, when Everton started against the breeze and with their faces to the sun. After the preliminary canter the Wednesday rushed down on the left and Thompson only partially checked and McLean got possession and looked exceedingly dangerous when he was intercepted by Fleetwood. Macconnachie completed the clearance and then Everton moved off in the most business like fashion. Harrison and Bradshaw closed in on the home goal, but were beaten by McSkimming and when Fleetwood tried his luck with a smart drive the ball was charged down. Another long spell of midfield work was interesting for the accuracy of some of the football work, neither goal being seriously threatened until Houston put in a long centre. Bradshaw tried to convert but was just too late, and the next movement of interest was a fine dash down the line by L. Burkinshaw, who beat the Everton captain and gave the ball to McLean. The latter, however, in the anxiety to score, shot wildly and missed the mark. The pace quickened considerably and Thompson was in difficulties when Wilson put the ball right across the goal mouth. Harris was unable to check an on rush by Robertson and Wilson, and the latter got in a rising shot but Macconnachie headed clear. Everton then made capital play on the left and Harrison from the corner flag swung the ball into the Sheffield goalmouth but Parker was just too late to turn it to advantage. Putting on steam Everton made further play on the left, and Harrison and McSkimming coming into violent collisions, both were temporarily put out of action. Sheffield then made progress in good order, and McLean finished with a splendid shot, which Mitchell tipped over the bar. The consequent corner was cleared, but the Sheffielders were in an aggressive mood, and after their centre-forward had shot over the bar. Wilson tried to get through but was staled off just in time by Thompson. The Everton right wing so far had not been too conspicuous but at length Houston made nice play and Nuttall was rather unfortunate in being beaten by Spoors. Wednesday returned immediately to the attack, and Mitchell had his work cut out to save his charge from J.D. Burkinson and Parkes. He dealt with both in excellent fashion, although it was obvious that the sun was in his eyes. Bradshaw initiated a promising movement by sending the leather out to Harrison but Brittleton held him, and the Sheffielders were once more pressing the Everton defence, McLean nipped round Fleetwood and put in a tremendous drive, which Mitchell saved in miraculous fashion. A few seconds later.

Another fierce drive caused him to fist away at the expenses of a corner, which was fortunately cleared. A diversion in Everton's favour were created by Harrison who raced along his wing and finished with a shot which Davison cleverly fielded. The home forwards were soon on the warpath again, and McLean who was in his most determined mood, put in a slow oblique shot, which L. Burkinshaw dashing in missed badly. This escape seemed to give Everton heart of grace, for they took up the attack vigorously and Houston came near scoring with a long cross shot. Everton kept up the pressure and the forwards were bunched in the penalty area when one of the home defenders infringed a rule, and a penalty was granted. The kick was entrusted to Parker who scored, with a shot that struck the inside of the crossbar, and rebounded behind Davison. The crowd showed audible dissent and they cheered the Wednesday to the echo as they produced to bombard the Everton defence. L. Buckinshaw shot at close range, but the ball struck Macconnachie. There was an immediate appeal for a penalty on the ground that the Everton skipper had landed but the referee after consulting the linesmen declined to grand it. Just before the interval Everton came away with rare dash, and Bradshaw missed a fine chance by shooting straight at the keeper and a moment later Parker who was well placed, shot yards over the bar.

Half-time; Sheffield Wednesday 0, Everton 1.

During the interval the general topic of conversation was with regard to the penalty granted to Everton. No two people held the same view, but I was told by the players themselves that both the home backs fouled Parker. The other subject of comment was upon the wonderful goalkeeping of Mitchell. But for his ability and skill between the posts Everton must have been down at the interval. The opening of the second half was full of incident and interest. Everton who now had the advantage of the sun and wind rushed right away. Nuttall from close range first struck the upright and than hit the crossbar. Both were fine shots and might well have found the mark. The Sheffielders replied with a strong rally and, moving down in combined order were looking dangerous when Macconnachie cleared. Then the visitors made ground on the right and Parker taking the ball at an acute angle scored a beautiful oblique goal. The Wednesday retaliated by moving along on the left and after some clever manceuving the leather was swung across to McLean who scored with a low shot. After this the game became very exciting and tremendous cheers greeted McLean when he managed to equalize in the closing stages. Final; Wednesday 2, Everton 2.

Sheffield Independent - Saturday 11 April 1914
Mr. Edgar Chadwick, of Blackburn, the former international forward, of Everton, has received the offer of the office of trainer to the German F.A., to begin next May, and continue up to the Olympic games. In a letter it is exexplined that his duty would be to travel about according to the wishes of the committee and instruct German teams, and especially trainers, according his own ideas. It is unlikely, however, that Chadwick will accept the offer, as, owing to business calls on his time, it would hardly possible for him to be away for long period as two years. As trainer to the Holland F.A. for many years, Chadwick is known on the Continent, and has a acquaintance with several the club and players. Should he definitely decline the offer he will be asked to recommend someone else for the post, the condition being that he must be an absolutely first class man.

April 11, 1914. The Liverpool Football Echo
At Goodison Park. Teams; Everton Res; Peever, goal; J. Page and Stalker, backs; Johnson, Kirby and Lee, half-backs; Scholfield, Brannick, Wright, Coffey and Palmer, half-backs; West Monmouth-; Edmonds, goal; Turner, and Bowen, backs; Percy, Richards, and Ware, half-backs; Griffiths, Thomas, Partridge, Harris, and Players, forwards. The Monmouthshire men failed to show up prominently in the opening stages of the game and the Blues performed pretty much as they liked. Palmer and the right winger frequently took the ball down and one of Palmer's runs produced a corner, after which Kirby headed over. Later on Wright might have scored, but he made amends be easily scoring an opening goal for Everton. Coffey also netted but was pronounced offside. West Monmouth brightened up considerably, Partridge show form in his centres, and the Everton goalkeeper was kept upon his best beheaviour. Griffiths sending in a lovely drive. Later however, Everton again took command of the game, and the visitors goal was continually in danger. Edmonds making three successive saves in the course of a few seconds while subsequently Wright and Brannick each went very near to scoring. Five minutes from the interval Wright scored smartly and another drive from the same quarter was saved by Edmonds, while Players tested the Everton keeper. Half-time Everton Reserves 2, West Monmouth 0. As soon as the game was resumed Everton were busy in Monmouth quarters, Brannick being very prominent. A rush by the visitors gained them a corner but this availed them nothing for Balmer was quickly down the wing and a bully in goal followed. Wright getting the better of Edmonds and scoring a third goal for the Blues. Wright scored a fourth for Everton Reserves. Thomas scored West Monmouth. Final; Everton Reserves 4, Wright (3), Lee, West Monmouth 1, Thomas.

April 11, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton team had perforce to make the journey to Burnley yesterday by motor owing to the unsuitable train service, and the trip was thoroughly enjoyed by the party. A crowd numbering close upon 25,000 welcomed the teams, and the game, if not altogether what might have been expected, was nevertheless interesting from the start to finish. Unfortunately the proceedings were marred by an unfortunate accident to Fern, who, in attempting one of his daring saves, came into collision with Freeman and sustained slight concussion. The Burnley centre was making for goal in his characteristic fashion, and there was no other course open to the keeper than to come out. It was a keen race for possession, and Fern, in dropping upon the ball, received the full force of Freeman's knee on the top of his head. He continued to guard the breach, but he was obviously dazed, and eventually retired. He was removed to the Infirmary, and though the injury was not as serious as was at one time thought, it was deemed advisable for him to stay the night and proceed home this morning.

On the general run of the play the Cup finalists were the more convincing side, and deserved their triumph. They were, however, fortunate in having the conditions with them during the opening half, for a strong wind blow in their favour, and they also had the sun at their backs. They naturally were the more aggressive side during this period, and yet there were occasions when chances came Everton's way, only to pass unheeded. In the first few minutes Chedgzoy brought Sewell, who was deputising for Dawson in goal, to his knees, and then Freeman failed to apply the finishing touch upon smart centres by Nesbitt and Mosscrop. Then came a fine movement in which Grenyer and Harrison played a prominent part, but a weak finish by Chedgzoy was the result, and immediately afterwards Fern brought off a brilliant save by racing out to Lindley. Then Mosscrop flashed the ball against the post. Parker, when well placed, failed to improve upon some effective work by Bradshaw, and then the Burnley forwards swept down, and Lindley scored after play had been 25 minutes in progress. Meanwhile Wareing had offered strenuous resistance to the home inside forwards and placing well ahead. Jefferis was out of luck with a cleverly directed shot. Just on the interval the Everton inside right was again only a trifle out of his reckoning, and the sides crossed over with Burnley a goal ahead. Immediately upon resuming the Cup Finalists showed a glimpse of their real form, and only four minutes had elapsed when Freeman, getting the ball from Boyle just to his liking, slipped between the backs and put on the second goal. Everton played up strongly, too, and Parker found the net, but the referee adjudged the player off side, and the ruling had a disconcerting effect upon the team for some time. Weller, however, was only a trifle wide with a fine drive, and then Chedgzoy was cutting in when Taylor strongly challenged him, and play was suspended for a couple of minutes while the Burnley back received attention. Then came the injury to Fern, but the keeper pluckily resumed, and in a trice Bradshaw flashed the ball against Burnley crossbar. It was a narrow escape, and shortly after the clearance Fern retired. Macconnachie filled the breach, while Weller dropped to left-back, and Jefferis took up the right half berth. This changed occurred 20 minutes from the close of play, and during this period the Everton “ten” played up gallantly, and had quite as much of the game as their opponents. There was no further scoring, however, and the Turf Moor brigade prevailed by two goals to nil.

The Everton forwards were not the combined force one could have wished. There were, however, many individual efforts of more than ordinary merit, and as indicated the Burnley breach twice narrowly escaped capture by the two inside men. The half-backs were up against a big proposition and did well, especially Wareing, who generally held up Freeman, and his confreres with much success, and the last line of defence, too, was sound. Freeman was the opportunist and required careful attention, and was ably flanked by Lindley and Hodgson. The wings were more forceful than the Everton outside men, and the cross shots from three-quarters kept the Everton rearguard fairly extended. Boyle was alive to the requirements of his centre and the backs put up strong opposition, with Sewell in goal a capable under-sturdy to Dawson. Teams: - Burnley: - Sewell, goal, Taylor, and Halley, backs, Boyle, Watson, and Nesbitt, half-backs, Lindley, Freeman, Hodgson, and Mosscrop, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Weller, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison, forwards. Referee T.P. Campbell.

April 11, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
At Goodison Park, in the presence of about 5,000 spectators. Everton decisively defeated Burnley by six goals to nil. The Blues took command of the game right from the commencement, and Burnley never had a look in. The Everton forwards were in grand trim, and they gave the Burnley defence a gruelling time. Everton attacked from the kick off, and within a minute Wright scored from a superb centre by Parker. After this early reverse the visitors played better than at any other period of the game, and the home goal had narrow escapes from shots by Cooper and Richmond. These were the visitors' only chances, for they were never again allowed to get really dangerous. Everton then came again and the Burnley goal was badly assailed and for a while the visitors managed to withstand the assault, but just on the interval Wright again scored, and the Blues crossed over with a two goal lead. The second half was entirely in Everton's favour, and it was on rare occasions that the Burnley attackers crossed the half-way line. For a time Walker and his backs managed to keep the home forwards at bay, but as the game progressed the Everton vanguard became, more persistent, and in the last half hour four more goals were added by Brannick (2), Challinor, and Beare. The Blues gave an all-round brilliant display and were full value for their overwhelming victory . Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Stevenson, and Simpson, backs, Johnstone, Challinor, and Roy, half-backs, Beare, Brannick, Page, Wright, and Palmer, forwards.

Dundee Courier - Monday 13 April 1914
Fern, the Everton goalkeeper, who was removed to Burnley Hospital after Friday match, was reported to have recovered consciousness, and to be comfortable as could expected. Fern met with accident stopping' one of Freeman's rushes, and though resumed he had to be escorted off before the finish suffering from concussion of the brain.

April 13, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
The Everton team continue to demonstrate that the Sheffield Wednesday enclosure is to them a happy hunting-ground for League points. Prior to Saturday, when they divided the honours, the Everton team had won four games in succession at Owlerton, now Hillsboro, and had the players shown the same grit during the early stages of last Saturday's game that they did in the closing half, they must have kept their winning sequence intact. However, a drawn game was a fitting result to a somewhat remarkable contest. The Blades were out for points at all costs owing to their precarious position in the League table, and more by downright persistency than skill did they put the Everton rearguard through their facings, and but for an exceptional exhibition of custodianship, might easily have accomplished their object. The injury to Fern at Burnley on the previous day resulted in the reappearance of Mitchell, and the performance of the Scotchman must have come as a big surprise not only to Sheffield folk, but to those connected with the Everton Club. His anticipation of opponents' final movements was perfect, and his saving of shots of practically every conceivable nature undoubtedly provided the principal feature of the game. As if to add lustre to the general excellence of his performance, he wound up by saving a penalty kick taken at terrific speed, by first fielding and then pushing the ball clear, what time the dashing Wednesday forwards, were endeavouring to follow up their advantage.

While the Evertonians were the more polished in their general footwork, the Wednesday for quite a lengthily period played the more profitable football, with McLean and Wilson valuable assets to their side. The centre was the star artist from start to finish, and the perfect understanding he had with Wilson often led up to a severe attack upon the Everton goal. It came somewhat as a surprise that the Blues should open the scoring. This was the outcome of Spoors racing across and whipping the legs from under Parker at a time when McSkimming was tackling the Everton centre, who made no mistake with the resulting penalty kick . Prior to this Mitchell had saved among others, quite half a dozen clever shots by either tipping the ball over the bar or throwing himself at full length, and when the interval arrived Everton had retained their lead. The second half opened sensationally, for Nuttall in the first few minutes drove hard against the post and then the crossbar, following which Parker, after clever manceurving, scored with one of his characteristic shots, that placed his side on very comfortable terms. Then came another display of real grit by the home forwards, and McLean, after his previous failures with really good shots, this time drove the ball along the ground quite out of Mitchell's reach. Then Parker took a first time pass from Houston, Davison bringing off a good save, and following another Wednesday advance McLean equallised fifteen minutes from the finish. In the concluding stages the Wednesday centre with a big effort attempted to rush Macconnachie, who stood his ground, and as the player fell across the Everton captain's leg the referee, to the surprise of many, supported an appear for a penalty kick . However, as indicated, Mitchell's anticipation was not at fault, and the sides finished up on level terms.

Regarding the players sufficient has been written concerning the great part played by the Everton keeper, whose performance could scarcely have been excelled. Macconnachie and Thompson too, were capable defenders, and if the halves were not up to concert pitch early on they eventually settled down and gave a good exhibition of attack and defence. The forwards were inclined to overdo the close passing game at the expense of dash, and in the early stages especially made the Sheffield halves appear more capable than they really were Parker and Nuttall were exceptions, and frequently gave the home defenders a gruelling. The centre led his men and opened out the play well, and it was pleasing to note the improvement on the left, where Bradshaw and Harrison displayed a better understanding than in the game with Burnley. McLean and Wilson were generally concerned in the Sheffield advances, and the former, when occasion arose, dropped back to assist the defence when in difficulties. Parkers was a capable centre half, but the rear guard were at times unreliable, while Davison kept a good goal and had no chance with the shots that defeated him. Teams: - Sheffield Wednesday: - Davison, goal, McSkimming, and Spoors, backs, Brittleton, Parkes, and Campbell, half-backs, L. Burkinshaw, J.D. Burkinson, McLean Wilson, and Robertson, forwards. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Houston, Nuttall, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison, forwards.

April 14, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton have lost their chance of finishing amongst the five top teams who quality for the payment of bonuses. They have only secured one out of a possible six points in the holiday games, and their display yesterday, in the home match with Oldham Athletic was most disappointing. The play all through was of a scrambling character, and no end of easy chances were missed. The ground was slippery after the rain, and probably this accounted for the great amount of blundering. It was certainly most disappointing to the crowd to see plenty of opportunities spoilt through sheer lack of penetrative skill. Oldham obtained both of their goals in the second half, and they deserved to win. They were the better-balanced team, and although their forwards were far from brilliant, they were at least more satisfactory than the Everton front line. Chedgzoy was the best of the Everton forwards. He was fast and clever, and if only his many excellent centres had been taken full advantage of Everton would have won. But his partner, Nuttall, could not shoot straight, and Parker was also disappointing in front of goal. The Everton left wing was rarely in evidence. Bradshaw, who was given the inside position, not working well with Harrison. Both Jefferis and Clennell were badly missed, the Oldham backs always holding the whip hand over Everton's ragged rearguard. Fleetwood played a great spoiling game at centre half, but Weller was never a match for Donnachie, and Makepeace was much below his real form. The Everton backs proved far from reliable, and Macconnachie repeatedly failed in his tackling. Mitchell could not be blamed for the two shots that beat him, and he made many fine clearances. Most of the Oldham attacks came from Donnachie, who was well served by Walters in the ways of passes. Oldham again played Broad at inside right in place of Woodyer, and he played a very worthy substitute. Curiously enough, Broad went to Oldham as a goalkeeper, and is now developing into a useful forward with a growing aptitude for scoring goals. Oldham had the stronger half-back line, and Roberts, at centre-half was one of the outstanding players on the field. If the full backs, both Cook and Hodson were most formidable, and they were more sure in their kicking than the Everton pair.

Oldham played the same team that beat Bradford City on Saturday. It was an evenly –consisted game all through, but while there was plenty of fast play in the early stages it went to waste through lack of finishing power. The Everton backs blundering repeatedly, but the Oldham inside forwards were slow to utilise their chances. From one clever centre by Donnachie, Broad had only the keeper to beat from close range, but clean miskicked. The Everton forwards were equally faulty, and Chedgzoy gave Nuttall possession when in a good position, only for the latter to place wide. Everton had one particularly narrow escape. Mitchell in saving from Donnachie, was brought down, and he had hardly got to his feet, before Moffatt returned the ball with great force, but once again Mitchell kept the ball out. No goal was forthcoming until seven minutes after the commencement of the second half. Donnachie tricked Thompson and placed across the goal. Mitchell touched the ball with his hand, only to divert it right to the feet of Broad, who made no mistake in driving into the net. Just prior to this Parker had missed an open goal from a centre by Chedgzoy. The latter got in one grand shot, which Matthews saved, and the ball went to Harrison, who looked like scoring, only for his shot to be charged down by one of the backs. The home backs continued to make mistakes, and faulty work by Macconnachie led to Walters coming near to scoring. Mitchell just succeeding in diverting the ball over the bar with his hand. Tummon, following a well-placed corner scored the second goal by Donnachie, and Everton's nearest approach to scoring was when Parker banged the ball against the crossbar. Teams: - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Weller, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Nuttall, Parker Bradshaw, and Harrison, forwards. Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Dixon, and Roberts, backs, Wilson, Hudson, and Cook, half-backs, Tummon, Broad, Moffatt, Walker, and Donnachie, forwards.

April 15, 1914. The Liverpool Post and Mercury.
At Oldham before a poor “Gate.” Everton were much the superior to the homesters, and great work by their forwards saw Wright beat the home goalkeeper. Everton continued to have much the best of the play, and Wright had a goal disallowed. The visitors continued to press, and led at half-time by one goal to nil. Play was fairly even in the second half, and no further scoring took place . Everton: - Bromilow, goal, Stevenson and Simpson, backs, Chalnor, Wareing, and Roy, half-backs, Houston, Brannick, J. Page, Wright, and Palmer forwards.

April 20, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
There was a decided end of the season flavour about the closing League game at Goodison Park. Everton have had a very poor season, and their last performance was almost on a par with the disappointing Easter games, and emphasived all the more the great need for strengthening the League team for next season. Had Bolton gone away with both points it would have been more than their deserts, for on the general run of the play Everton had much the best of the argument. It was the old story of clever play in the open going to waste through lack of penetrative skill. Had all the chances created been made the most of Everton would have won by a comfortable margin, instead of having to wait until the near the end for the equalising goal. With Jefferis and Clennell back in the attack there was plenty of clever footwork and effective passing, but the inside forwards could do anything but score. Nothing seemed to run right for them in front of goal. It was sheer bad luck in some instance, the ball being banged against the woodwork many times. Still there was a good deal of erractic shooting for which there was no excuse. Bolton who were without Vizard, did much less attacking and yet were always dangerous when near goal. They were not so clever individually and their passing was disjoined, but they were always determined when within shooting range. Commencing with the sun and wind in their favour Everton immediately set up a persistent attack and the Bolton backs repeatedly found themselves in difficulties. Chedgzoy combined with a rare speed good judgement in centring, and Clennell twice shot wide when he had only the keeper to beat. All through the first half Everton were almost continually attacking, but try as they would no goals were forthcoming. Fleetwood tried his luck with several long shots, but all in vain.

It was close on the interval when Bolton scored through a blunder on the part of Thompson. He had ample time to clear, but made a feeble attempt to do so, and when Mitchell rushed out of goal it was then too late Lillycrop driving into the net. Everton continued to force matters in the second half, but luck was dead against them. Jefferis got in one splendid shot, Sidlow doing well to save, and Parker banged the ball against the crossbar. It was Parker who eventually equalised, this bring his total up to 16 (17). Chedgzoy was again the shining light of the Everton attack. This speedy winger has more than realised expectations, and since his recovery from the injury he received at Bolton he has been about the beat of the Everton forwards. He is not only speedy and resourceful, but rarely fails in his centres. Parker and Jefferis worked hard, and Clennell was most unlucky in his shooting efforts. The Bolton forwards were a very moderate line, and their wingmen were held, well in check. Lillycrop got in one or two good shots, but J. Smith was the best of the line. Some capital work was shown at half back, Fleetwood and Fay the respective centrehalves being two of the outstanding players on the field. Grenyer and Glendinning worked hard, but Harris seemed hardly in a fit condition to play. Bolton were stronger in defence than the home side for whereas both Thompson and Macconnachie gave one the impression that they needed a rest, Beverstock and Feebery were most resolute, especially the former. Sidlow had more work to do than Mitchell, and except for the one mistake, which proved costly the Everton, reserve keeper kept goal in brilliant style. Teams : - Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Sidlow, goal, Baverstock, and Feebery, backs, Glendinning, Fay, and Jennings, half-backs, Donaldson, Jones, Lillycrop, J. Smith, and H. Smith, forwards.

A Tame Finale.
Liverpool Echo -Monday 20 April 1914
The curtain has been rung down first class football at Goodison Park until next autumn, and it was tame finale which the Everton-Bolton Wanderers match provided. The Wanderers came with the idea of getting the maximum number of points so to retain a position the League that would allow them to have share of the talent money. They were not wholly successful, and to a certain extent must account themselves fortunate, for it was rather the misdoings of Everton than the Bolton Lans' own achievements that enabled them to end their season with drawn game. Tho home forwards seemed to have little idea of the location their opponents' goal, and when they did pilot the ball in the right direction the eilorte generally lacked sting and were easily thwarted. This was the chief reason why Everton did not wind up with victory. The first half was mostly fought out the visitors' territory, yet the only goal scored was to the credit of Lillycrop. Joe Smith was responsible for the working of the goal for he dribbled into good position and shot well, and all Mitchell could do was to divert the ball Liliycrop, who had an untenanted space into which to place the ball, as the custodian had fallen full length on the grass out of his goal his first endeavour to save his charge. This occurred some three minutes before the interval and was not until haif-an-hour of the second period had elapsed, and defeat looked like being Everton's fate, that the equalising goal was scored. Parker was the instrumentalist for he dashed out of a bunch of players and drove the ball towards the goal. There was little force behind shot, but Sidlow appeared to miscalculate either the speed direction tho bail it sufficed. Miserable Shooting. So much for the scoring. As to the rest of tho play was little of note. Everton might have gained easy victory had the inside forwards made tho most of the chances that came their way tho beginning of the game. Chedgzoy was in fine trim, and frequently sent across inviting centres, while Harrison also supplied his colleagues well; but the inside trio wore completely off colour, and thus glorious opportunities were allowed to go abegging. Towards the close of the game all three showed improvement and got in some splendid shots, but either Sidlow or the posts foiled them. The young Boltonian goalkeeper is a good one, for although he did not have a very busy afternoon he effected a number of saves that stamp him as likely to develop into a tip-top custodian. Mitchell, who again Everton goal place of Fern, was not overworked, still he shone with two or three splendid pieces of work. The play the visiting forwards was far what was expected of them. Was it the absenco of Vizard that threw them out of gear? Joe Smith was the best of the line, and new international, Donaldson, was rarely to the fore. Glendinning was the best of the middle line; while both backs wore sound. The home forwards have already been criticised, tho extreme wingers being the best. Behind them all did what was expected them, and, us I have already said, had the forwards made tho most use of "their early chances to score, Bolton would have well out of the running for a "profitable position."

April 20, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
A clever victory by 4 goals to 3 at Bolton has lifted Everton Reserves once again to the head of the League table with a clear lead of an opposition a position they ought never to have lost a few weeks back. The Blues had a hard struggle for their points at Burnden Park, as they were twice in arrears. Challinor, Palmer (2), and Wright were the scorers for the winners, and Feebury (penalty), Hodgkinson and Westwood for the Wanderers

April 22, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
The transfer of Jim Roberts to Everton has been received with interest at Mold. Playing for to or three seasons with the Town in the Liverpool County Combination. Roberts signed on for Wrexham, playing with them in 19111-12 and 1912-13.

April 27, 1914. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton lost at Stamford Bridge by 2-0 on Saturday, and there is a possibility that both the Merseyside clubs will be bracketed together near the bottom of the League table with 35 points (16 fewer than the champions, but only 9 fewer than the runners up), with only four clubs below them. Chelsea by their victory go up to the eighth position on the table, and it must be confessed that they deserved their victory, if only because of the opportunism of their centre forward. A belated thought was that the reserve man Britton, might be an effective leader of the front rank, and the light built, alert young man from Likeston United justified that faith. He scored both goals in the second half although he had to centred against such an experienced half-back as Fleetwood. Indeed that Everton player must have been glad when the game was over, for he had rather a worrying time. Brittan must have been hiding his light under a bushel for his cleverness with the ball and rare turn of speed to have been unappreciated for so long, unless he has only just discovered his own true form. It was not a great game. Cleverness without the necessary dash to force home an advantage gained in the midfield almost led to Chelsea's undoing in the first half when Everton although they did not dominate the play, were more threatening in front of goal. It was Chedgzoy who made the visitors attack so dangerous. He was easily the best of the five, and never seemed happy unless he was placing the Chelsea defence in a tight corner. The Everton front rank lost its glamour when Brittain scored eight minutes after the resumption. Fern had no chance with the shot, which went into the net like one from a Dreadnought gun. Ford however, then made a brilliant effort, but his shot hit the crossbar. The second goal by the new Chelsea centre was a personal triumph. Unstupposed, he carrier war into the Everton ‘quarter, and wading the defence he just tapped the ball into the far corner of the net. It looked so simple too. The brilliant goalkeeping of Hampton, the League international from Motherwell had much to do with Everton's blank score sheet. Teams: - Chelsea: - Hampton, goal, Marshall, and Harrow, backs, Taylor, Logan, and Middleboe, half-backs, Ford, Halse, Britton, Freeman, and McNeill, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Nuttall, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards.

Harry Makepeace and Val Harris
Dundee Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 29 April 1914
There is a rumour that Harry Makepeace and Val Harris are retiring: from active service after this season. The latter is said intending to set up in business in Dublin.
Harry Mountford, who recently went from Burnley the Third Lanark, has proved a great success in Sootland. went to Burnley, will be remembered, with Freeman from Everton, and did very good service for the East Lancashire club until sustained a leg injury in game with Notts Forest.

April 24, 1914. The Liverpool Echo
The social side of football club life is always one of its most pleasing features, and last evening must be chronicled as a red-letter night in the annuals of the Everton Club, for directors and shareholders met together to do honour to one of their oldest directors and to two of the most popular players in the city. The directors to be honoured was Mr. John Davies, who has served on the board of the club for the past twenty-one years, and it was in recognition of the lengthy and valuable services that a dinner was held at the Exchanged Station Hotel, and there were handled over to Mr. Davies three silver loving-cups and a silver tea service. The presents bore the inscription. Presented to John Davies Esq, by the directors and shareholders of the Everton Football Club, Limited, in appreciation of the valuable services rendered by him as a director of the company and commemorate the completion of twenty one years service, February 1914. As is the custom with the Everton club, he recipient is asked to chosen his own presents, and it is interesting to note that Mr. Davies chose the three loving cups so that each of his three sons might in later years have a memento of their father's work for the club; while the tea service was presented to Mrs. Davies as some payment for the demand the club has made of her husband's time. The gifts were handed over to Mr. Davies by Mr. W.R. Clayton the chairman of the directors, who presided. Mr. Clayton spoke in appreciative words of the value of Mr. Davies's service to the club, especially at the time that the Everton club commenced their career at Goodison Park. At that time much hard work had to be done and Mr. Davies was one of that band of men who spent most of their time for many months in getting the new ground into order and setting the club on a solid base. Mr. Clayton also recalled the trouble and danger that awaited club officials when they went in search of new players. In these days when a player was sought one went to the office of the secretary of the player's club and there talked matters over. Not so in the good days of twenty one years ago. At that time the man who went in quest of players went at great personal risk and woe betide anyone found looking for a player if the supporters of that player's club got to know. It was a case of securing the player without his club's officials or followers knowing. The chairman's speech was punctuated with interesting stories which plainly showed the difference between the work of the directors at the time Mr. Davies joined the board and their work at the present day. Mr. Davies in his reply, thanked the directors and shareholders for their grit and bore out the remarks of Mr. Clayton as to the work that had to be done in the past. Other members of the committee at the time of the change from Anfield to Walton also told of the trials and troubles of those who did the spade work of the club and Mr. A. T. Coates in particularly amused us with the story of the eviction from Anfield road. He told of how they were given notice to quit without any option of staying and that the police were there to see that they went; and when they started on the land at Goodison-road, he said that he had never seen such an unpromising patch of land, and it was wonderful that in the short space of time such fine ground had been made there. Hat a fund of interesting stories and anecdote are brought to light in the reminiscences of those who have been connected with our two big local clubs since their inception and what a fascinating book they would make for the club's supporters could the stories be got together to read s they were told last evening!

Happy Relations
The directors, shareholders and players met at the Carlton Restaurant afterwards where a most enjoyable smoking concerts was held, the following artistes providing the entertaining ;- Messrs Charles Leeds, Grit Owen, C. McAllister, Jack Clark, Arthur Frame, J. C. Brien, J. Cannon, Harry Watson, John Mclvey, Tom McAllister, and Alf Beattie. The accompanist was Mr. T. Kingston Fell, Mr. Clayton pointed out that Mr. Leeds would be known to many of those present as “R.E.F” of the Football Echo.

April 27, 1914. The Liverpool Courier
There were fully 25,000 spectators at Goodison Park to witness the return match between Everton and Liverpool, the result being a win for the former by 2 goals to 1. The game was one of the best witnessed this season, both teams putting forth their very best efforts to secure a victory. The Blues were undoubtedly the better team, and it was only some very fine work by Scott in goal and Crawford at full-back that kept the score down. Palmer gave a much-improved display, and his centres were a constant menace to the Livers' goal. Wright was excellent at centre forward, and besides scoring both goals he gave a sterling display, and gave Scott many ticklish shots to negotiate. Page and Bradshaw were more than useful, while Beare at times was clever, but he found Crawford a great stumbling block. The home half-backs were a splendid trio, and further behind Weller and Simpson were usually able to deal with the Livers' attack. Mitchell was rarely troubled, but he was undoubtedly at fault when Bovil scored. The Liverpool forwards gave a very inept display. The half-backs were good and bad by turns, and at full-back Grayer compared very unfavourably with Crawford. There was no scoring in the initial half, but shortly after resuming Wright scored for Everton. A breakaway by the Reds resulted in Bovil equalising, but another goal by Wright settled the issue. Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Simpson, and Weller backs, Challinor, Wareing, and Roy, half-backs, Beare, Page, Wright, Bradshaw, and Palmer, forwards. Liverpool: - E. Scott, goal, Grayer, and Crawford, backs, J. Scott, McDougall, and Dawson, half-backs, Holden, Banks, Gracie, Bovell, and Terris.

April 28, 1914. The Liverpool Echo
Everton began their Scottish tour last evening by playing a representative eleven against the Hearts of Midlothian at Edinburgh. The match was for the benefit of George Sinclair the Heart’s right winger, and the home team included Walker, the famous Scottish international. The game opened in favour of Everton, who gave a beautiful exhibition of forward play, and goals were scored by Clennell and Parker before the interval. Hearts pressed, and goals were scored by Frew (twice) and Abrams. In the second half play deteriorated, Everton being without Fern, Macconachie playing in goal. Shortly after resuming Nellies scored for hearts. Result Hearts of Midlothian 4, Everton 2.
Everton Signed J. Kirsopp
Everton have signed on a local in J. Kirsopp of Wallasey Borough, who has proved a successful forward and goal scorer for the Borough.
A keen race is taking place between Everton Reserves and Stalybridge Celtic for the championship of the Central League and a match which will decide the issue takes place at Stalybridge tonight, when Everton oppose Celtic. It is the concluding match for each team. Everton at present head the table with a two point lead over Celtic, but if Stalybridge are successful tonight the team will be equal as regards points but the Celtic will capture the honours by reason of a superior goal average. In the event of a draw Everton will be champions. About six clubs were in the running until Saturday.

April 28, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton played the first match of their Scottish tour against the Hearts in Edinburgh, yesterday, the game being set apart for the benefit of Sinclair the home right winger. Everton fielded a representative elevens, and the Hearts included Walker, the famous Scottish internationalist. Everton pressed at the start, and as a result of clever forward play Clennell scored, and later Parker added a second. Hearts then attacked, and scored through Frew (twice) and Abrams. In the second half Everton resumed without Fern and the Hearts scored again through Mellies.

April 28 1914, The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
We are informed that Everton obtained the transfer from Wallsaey borough FC of J Kirsopp their inside right this successful youth has been a very prolific scorer during the present season, have obtained 40 goals in the Liverpool county combination, Kirsopp is only 20 years of age, 5ft 9inches and 11 stone 5 pounds in weight, Norwich City, West Ham and Swindon, beside two first division clubs have eagerly sought his services.

April 28, 1914 Daily Record
Sinclair Gets A Successful Benefit
By Dorovan
Hearts 4, Everton 2
Quite an ovation greeted Robert Walker at Aster Road last night when the man of many Internationals emerged from his retirement to partner Sinclair in the latter's benefit game. The crowd of about 5,000 spectators were treated by the veteran to some of those clever touches with which he used to delight the Tynecastle frequenters. All that was wanted to complete the joy of the onlookers was a goal from him, but with the Walker could not or would not oblige. He did the next thing, however, by combining nicely with Sinclair, and cutting out the work which led directly to the first of the two goals with which Frew signalized his initial appearance at centre-forward. The other goals for the Hearts came from the half-back line, Abrams getting the first and Nellies the last. Everton owed both their goals –which were scored by Clennell and Parker –to the pith the inside forwards put into their shooting. In this matter the English team came favourably out of a comparison with the Hearts but the attractive, clever football the Edinburgh men were distinctly the superior lot. The win was fairly deserved. Only Nellies goal was scored in the second half, which suffered from the circumstance that Everton were a man short, Macconanchie having to take Fern's place in goal. Hearts of Midlothian;- Body, goal; Crossan and Taylor, backs; Nellies, Mercer and Abrams, half-backs; Sinclair, Walker, Frew, Graham and Wilson, forwards. Everton; Fern, goal; Thomson and Macconnachie, backs; Simpson, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs; Chedgzoy, Houston, Parker, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards.

April 28, 1914. The Daily Record
Everything points to James Wilson, the popular Ranger's trainer, adding a substantial sum to his bank account as the result of his benefit match at Ibrox tonight. He deserves it. Everton are not seen in Glasgow every day, indeed it was twelve months since they were last here. They appeared than at Celtic Park, where Gourlay, now of Morton played a most taking game at centre forward. If the Goodison Park team repeat the form displayed as Parkhead that afternoon, visitors to Ibrox this evening are assured of a treat. In addition to the football, there are invitation 120 yards and 300 yards' sprint handicaps and a half-mile handicaps.

Wednesday 29 April 1914 Dundee Evening Telegraph
Everton's Reserve Inside Right. St Mirren f.C. to-day secured the transfer of James Brannick, inside right of Everton. Brannick is of fine physical build for forward, being 5 ft. 8 in. in height, and weighing 11 stones. He has also youth in his favour, being only 22 years of age. He is reputed' a grand shot, and is the top scorer for Everton in the Central League this season.

April 29, 1914 The Daily Record
By Brigadier
Rangers 6, Everton 2
I imagine the one thing we all regretted at Ibrox Park last night was that “James Wilson”, the Rangers trainer, was not able to be present. It would have cheered him greatly to see the crowd of twelve thousand or so, and to take stock of the enthusiasm created by the double victory of Jack Donadlson, the fleetest of all the world's sprinture, not to speak of the applause that greeted the scoring of the goals in the match between Rangers and Everton. All the proceedings were complimentary to “James” Wilson, who owing to an illness which he contracted last week could not be present. But it would do him good to hear of the good sport, and the willing, hearty manner in which everybody entered into the spirit of the gathering. Many were attracted by the professional handicaps in which Jack Donadlson was the celebrity of the evening. He had expressed his intention of having a cut at the 300 yards world's record held by himself, but though he ran well, and won the race easily, he never looked like touching the record after being slightly knocked off his stride in the bend before going into the home straight. His time was 31 secs, and the record is under 30 secs. Donaldson also won the 130 yards handciapp, in which his four opponents were all former Ponrdorhall Handicap winner.

Two Heros
I scarcely know in what light the football should be regarded. Everton put a good team in the field, but some of the players were obviously a little tired. Bobby Walker, looking prosperously healthy, faithfully kept his promise to partner Alec Smith on the Rangers left wing, and the two of them had an enjoyable evening. Some of the pretty passing between them made the crowd cheer, and if only our record International player had scored –as did all the other Rangers forwards –I think the satisfaction of the people would have been quite complete. Rangers were a long time in opening their score. It would be after some thirty five minutes and when Val Harris, the Everton half-back had retired injured, that Smith ran through and centred for Bowie to easily beat Hodge. On the interval Smith put the ball through for the second goal, after Hodge had almost saved. A substitute was allowed for Harris, in the second half, which proved something of a banquet for Rangers. Reid had been trying and trying for a goal, and at last Bowrie gave him a deft pairs and he scored with a low, fast shot. To this Parker replied by beating Lock and the cheering he got would have made you think he was a Ranger still. Next Paterson dribbled nicely down, and then turning inward, let go with his left foot, and the ball went sailing into the net, high up, away from Hodge –a bonnie goal. The next goal, which was Rangers fifth, was a sort of comedy turn. Smith got down from a pass by Walker, and lofted the ball over the heads of the Everton defenders. Reid saw it coming, but never moved, and it dropped on the crown of his head, and thence into the net. Reid soon after that shot his third and the team's sixth, a centre pass from Paterson leaving him with a point-black opportunity, Hodge scarcely saw the ball go past him. A finish to the scoring came when Clennell; raced through the Rangers defence and scored Everton's second goal. Then the crowd left, satisfied and happy. Rangers;- Lock, goal; Gordon and Scott; Brown, Logan, and Galt; Paterson, Bowie, Reid, Walker, and Smith. Everton; Hodge; Macconnachie, and Thomson; Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Houston, Parker, Clennell and Harrison.

April 29, 1914. The Evening telegraph
ST. Mirren F.C today secured the transfer of James Brannick, inside right of Everton. Brannick is of fine physical build for a forward, he's 5ft 8ins, and weights 11 stone. He is also youth in his ferer, being only 22 –years-old. He is reputed a grand shot, and is he top scorer for Everton in the Central league this season.

April 29, 1914. The Glasgow Herald
Everton played the third match of their Scottish series at Hamilton last night, before an attendance of 3,000 spectators. Both teams made changes, the respective sides, being Academicals: Watson, goal; McEwan and Miller, backs; McLaren, McNamee and Main, half-backs; Hanlon, McBride, Kelly, Stewart, and Happenstall, forwards. Everton; Hodge, goal; Thomson and Simpson, backs; Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs; Chedgzoy, Kirsopp, Houston, Clennell and Harrison, forwards. Everton were the smarter side in the first half, and deserved their lead of 2 goals to 1. Kirsopp goal in eight minutes, and Everton look more likely scoring then Hamilton when Stewart got a long shot past Hodge. Before the interval Clennell crowned a splendid piece of forward work with a second goal. The Academicals infuse more like into their movement after the re-starting, and Kelly once more equalled the score. Ten minutes later the Academicals centre forward scored a third goal, Everton were awarded a penalty kick, but Grenyer shot past. Chedgzoy equalled for Everton.

New Forward For St. Mirren
Mr. Hugh Law, manager of St. Mirren, who was in England this week, has secured the signature of James Brannick, inside right of Everton. Brannock who is 22 years of age, stands 5ft 8ins, and weights about 11 stone. He was top score in the Central League with 30 goals, to his credit, and comes with excellent credentials.

April 29, 1914. The Liverpool Courier.
The second match of Everton's Scottish tour took place at Ibrox Park, Glasgow, last evening, when the Rangers were opposed, the game being for the benefit of James Wilson, the Rangers trainer. In a tall scoring game the Goodison men were defeated by 6 goals to 2. Everton's scorers being Parker and Clennell (Rangers being Bowie, Smith, Reid (3) and Paterson). In the second half Harris was injured, and Simpson filled his place in the second portion.

April 29, 1914. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
In the match with Stalybridge, last evening, Everton opened strongly, and for thirty minutes' completely overplayed the Stalybride men, but brilliant work by Mason kept them out. During the pressure Brooks almost put through his own goal. The interval arrived without any score. Eight minutes after the restart, Bradshaw gave Everton the lead with a grand cross shot. Wilkinson equalised from a free kick ten minutes from time. The closing stages were fiercely contested, each side fighting for a winning goal. The Everton backs defended grandly, and kept out the home side, who attacked stubbornly. Everton deserved their success, as they were the better side.

April 30, 1914. The Liverpool Echo
At Hamilton in ideal weather, before 2,000 spectators Hamilton substituted Kyle and Stewart and Everton Macconanchie and Parker. Quiet play characterized the opening exchanges but when Kirsopp scored for Everton after ten minutes play matters became somewhat livelier. Clennell made a good attempt to put Everton ahead after which the Academicals forwards broke away and Stewart equalized with a long shot. Everton were the smarter team, Clennell scoring a second.
Half-time; Everton 2, Hamilton 1.
Kelly equalized for the Academicals twenty minutes after the restart and subsequently exchanges were of a spirited nature. Kelly put on a third and Chedgzoy equalized after Grenyer had failed at a penalty. Result Hamilton Academicals 3, Everton 3.

April 30, 1914. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Hamilton, in ideal weather, before 2,000 spectators. Hamilton substituted Kyle and Stewart, and Everton Macconnachie and Parker. Quiet play characterised the opening exchanges, but when Kirsopp scored for Everton after ten minutes play, matters became somewhat livelier. Clennell made a good attempt to put Everton ahead after which the Academicals' forwards broke away, and Stewart equalised with a long shot. Everton were the smarter team. Clennell scoring a second goal. Half-time Everton 2, Hamilton 1. Kelly equalised for the Academicals twenty minutes after the restart, and subsequent exchanges were of a spirited nature. Kelly put on a third and Chedgzoy equalised after Grenyer had failed at a penalty kick .



April 1914