Everton Independent Research Data


April 3, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Derby County and Everton were so near the foot of the League ladder that their meeting at Goodison Park was fraught with great possibilities. Fortunately, Everton got to work early and effectively Kirsopp scoring in two minutes when the goalkeeper seemed to have the ball covered. Kirsopp from November 22 to early March, had not scored and had not appeared frequently for the first team, but now has taken upon himself the task of getting a goal per match. Before half-time yesterday, young John Blair, the local amateur, son of a Liverpool councilor, scored a good point, even if one may sympathies with Derby, on the score that the point came from the throw down consequent upon an injury to Wightman. In spite of the greasy state of the turf, the football was full of interest and Everton were value for their lead, for they had tested the goalkeeper more than Derby had tested Fern. Hesitancy in shooting was Derby's fault in attack and the half-backs were faulty in passing to their forwards, whereas the Everton half-backs were strong in this direction. The Everton full backs were a sturdy in black and white, Downs fell in the mud time and again, whereas Macconnachie was spic and again. Each in his way was an admirable defender with foot and head; Macconnachie calm and sure, and Downs most reliable, notable when he took the ball from Lyons when that player was about to shoot –a method of defence that led Derby to claim a penalty kick without avail –a good decision on the part of Referee Prescot. The knock-out blows sustained in heading the ball by Grenyer, Wightman, and Atkin can judge the state of the turf. The mud was also in trouble, through falling his whistle choking the referee. Early in the second half, the following up tactics of Blair led to Kidd being dispossessed and an open goal gaping at the centre, whose shot was luckily blocked. An interruption by someone with a whistle was dealt with instantly by the referee who sent two police men to the scene of the noise. Everton had the major portion of the attack, in which Kirsopp was a shinning light. All through the game the heavy Derby men were unable to more readily in the mire, and this to some measure was the cause of their defeat. Lyons was their best forward, for he was useful and sharp in shooting, and he made a long solo dribble in old-time style, winding up with a strong low shot. The third goal of the day was an unusual one. Harrison double back disconcertingly and supplied Howarth with a pass, Howarth touched the ball to his left and shot, the ball, after being touched by the goalkeeper, struck the post, off which it cannoned on to the fallen goalkeepers body and travelled over the line. Blair followed instantly with another goal, scored through an empty goal, simply and solely through the centre following up and catching Kidd (who was limping) rapping with a greasy ball. Their was no further scoring and Everton won handsomely and by no larger margin than they deserved. The home team played strong, tireless football, and their defence was especially strong. The half-backs worked with effect and without display and the forward line was especially strong at centre and on the right wing. Howarth did many neat things and kept Harrison plied with good passes. This victory makes Everton's league position practically safe. Teams : - Everton: - Fern goal, Downs, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Weller Lievesley, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Kirsopp, J. Blair, Howarth, and Harrison, forwards. Derby County: - Kidd goal, Atkin, and Barbour, backs, Waterhouse, Wightman, and Lamph, half-backs, Thornewell, Lyons, Leonard, Burton, and Quantril, forwards.

April 3 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton had no difficulty in winning at Southport by four goals to one. They were heavier, faster, and smarter all round than the home team. Southport's goalkeeper was far below his usual form. He has been suffering from blood poisoning in one of his arms, and was clearly not fit. In the ordinary course he would probably have saved the first two goals. Burton scored for Southport early in the game, but Rigsby equalised, almost immediately and Parker added two more before half-time. Soon after the interval Parker again nettled and thus compelled the "hat-trick," Everton took matters easily in the second half and Southport had most of the attack. Their finishing work, however, was poor and several excellent openings were lost. There were 2,000 spectators.

April 5, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The conditions at Ayresome Park on Saturday were dismal and depressing in the extreme, when Everton turned out, to meet the Middlesbrough club. A Scotch mist, or drizzle was the atmosphere order of the afternoon, while the ground was a quagmire. Yet in spite of these drawbacks a crowd of 14,000 people saw one of the best balanced and most strenuous struggle of the season. The foot work on the heavy and treacherous surface was at times exceedingly clever, and the pace –with the exception of some fifteen minutes never, slackened. It was in this period that Everton fell away, but they quickly recovered and in the end well deserved their share of the points. Everton were the first to force the pace, and the forward line acting in concert kept the home backs busy, Peacock putting in two very promising shots which brought Williamson out. Middlesbrough replied with an attack on the right, Davidson giving the ball to J. Carr, who was in an offside position. The winger, however, centred to Elliott, who netted with a wonderful shot. Of course the referee disallowed the goal, and for a time there was an angry uproar among the crowd. Subsequently the home forwards were very dangerous, but the Everton halves saved the situation, and there were no scored at the interval. In the second half, Thompson handled in the penalty area, and Elliott made no mistake about the penalty kick . Everton were dangerous in turn, and from a well judged square pass by Harrison, Kirsopp equalised at short range. There is every reason to be satisfied with the play of the Everton forwards the three inside men doing especially well. The halves stood up sturdily against Elliott and his men, and Downs did the work of three men, Thompson was occasionally uncertain, though he did good service and Fern kept a capital goal. Teams : - Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goal, Holmes, and Marshall, backs, Davidson, W. Carr, and Ellerington, half-backs, J. Carr, G. Carr, Elliott, Pender, and Urwin, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Thompson, backs, Weller Fleetwood (Captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Kirsopp, Peacock, Howarth, and Harrison, forwards. Referee Mr. G. H. Mason, Birmingham .

April 5, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Huddersfield. The home side gained an early advantage by adapting themselves to the conditions of the ground. Their third line worked together admirably, and the first two goals were the results of fine concerted action. The visiting backs were generally too slow for the quick Huddersfield wingmen, and the score would have been greater had the Huddersfield shooting been more accurate, Parker, the Everton centre played a good game, but was given few chances by his colleagues. He scored for Everton from a penalty. The visiting forward line generally lacked speed. The scorers for Huddersfield were Smith (2), Lalip, and Elliott.

April 6, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Derby County, after an unfortunate weekend at Liverpool, entertained Everton before a Bank Holiday crowd of over 20,000 many failing to obtain admission to the Baseball Ground. An exhilarating game was witnessed, notwithstanding the heavy turf. The County, whose position in the League table is becoming desperate, played a remarkably fine game, and although victory only came to them in the last minute their superiority on the day's play was undeniable. Everton after opening on the defensive, were the first to score. Their goal came at the end of twelve minutes play, through Grenyer, who drove the ball home with suprising swiftness during a scrimmage that followed a corner. Derby attacked stremousily after this, and equalised ten minutes later through Lyons, when taking a short pass from Thornwill, worked cleverly for an opening and then beat Fern from a difficult angle. Shots by Burton and Leonard only just missed, and the interval arrived with the score 1 goal each. The second half again saw Derby doing most of the pressing, but Fern and his co-defenders played a steady game. Barbour (Derby) and Downs (Everton) were injured, and were of little use to their respective sides afterwards. A fine save by Lawrence from Kirsopp spoilt Everton's chances, and then Derby, pressing to the close took the lead in the last minute, Atkin heading through from a corner. Teams : - Derby County: - Lawrence, goal, Atkin, and Barbour, backs, Waterhouse, Wightman, and Lamph, half-backs, Thornwell, Lyons, Loenard, Burton and Quintrill, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Weller, Leivesley, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Kirsopp, Blair, Howarth, and Harrison, forwards.

April 6 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Southport divided the points with Everton at Goodison Park, the score being 2 goals each. In the first half there was only one team in it, for Everton could do everything but score, many chances being missed from centres by Donnachie and Spencer. A minute from the interval Donnachie placed a corner so accurately that Thompson fisted through his own goal, but the referee disallowed the point through some infringement. At half-time there was no score. Early in the second half Spencer scored for Everton, and Rigsby added the second. Southport then improved, and Green reduced the lead. Ten minutes from time the same player equalised with a solo effort. In the last few minutes Mitchell saved Everton from defeat by saving two stinging shots from Green. Everton's team included one or two locals, who showed good promise.

April 7, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison park, before 5,000 spectators. Play for a long time was confined to midfield and neither keeper was seriously tested. The first danger came from Robinson on the home right, who tricked both Checkland and Parell, and centred to Wall, whose shot was charged down by lamb almost on the goal line, when Baker looked well beaten. Liverpool's best chance fell to Smith, who, with only Bromilow to beat shot wide. Early in the second half Parker tested Baker, while Williams who played a great game hit the crossbar with a grand drive. The chief danger to Everton came from Lewis who sent in many shots, which Bromilow cleverly dealt with. Matthews kept a close watch on Parker. It was not until the last minutes that any real life was introduced into the game and both Baker and Bromilow had to be very alert to keep out good shots. Parker, Brewster, and Wall made capital attempts for Everton and Lewis, Matthews, Johnson, and Checkland for Liverpool, but the game concluded with any score.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Thursday 08 April 1920
William Lawson, right half-back of Dawdon Colliery Club, after being on a month's trial with Everton, has been signed on as a professional by that Club.  Lawson who stands 5ft 8in, and weighs 12st, 5lbs., is a son of Coun R. Lawson, secretary of the Dawdon Miners' Lodge.  

Lancashire Evening Post - Saturday 10 April 1920
Although this is the close season for the transfer of League players, clubs are allowed to engage new men.  Everton have signed as a professional a half-back named Lawson, from Dawson Colliery a Wearside League Cup.

April 12 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton's excellent win over Middlesbrough, at Goodison Park, placed them in a much more satisfactory position in the League table, and all fears of relegation may now be abandoned. It was Everton's biggest scoring success of the season and was another triumph for their newly formed forward line. Middlesbrough's forward weakness' was very pronounced and their defeat may be attributed to the failure of the forwards. Everton could claim little superiority in the first half, but after the change of ends Everton asserted themselves and won in the easiest possible fashion. There was some neat and clever footwork in the early stages, and although the visitors several times looked like taking an early lead, Kirsopp scored for Everton at the end of ten minutes play. Jennings equalised five minutes later in very simple fashion, a fine centre from J. Carr being cleverly headed into the net by the ex-Norwich City player. Having lost the lead, Everton set to work in very business like fashion, and Williamson was kept exceedingly busy, but the last minute of the first forty-five had arrived before Peacock gave Everton the lead for the second time. As in the first half, Middlesbrough made all the running in the early stages of the second half, and a little more steadiness in front of goal might have brought then success. Rigsby's goal at fifty-five minutes, however, practically settled the issue for the subsequent play went all in favour of the home side. Grenyer scored a fine goal at seventy-five minutes, and although Butler reduced the lead three minutes later, Rigsby scored a fifth just before the end. Everton were a splendidly equipped side, Fern did his work well, but was not always sure with his fielding. Downs and Macconnachie were rarely in difficulties, and displayed good recovery when hard pressed. The half-backs especially Grenyer, did excellent service; and the forwards splendidly led by Peacock were a forceful line, and they never lost an opportunity of testing Williamson. The best on the visitors' side were Marshall, W. Carr, G. Carr and Jennings. Teams: - Everton: - Fern goal, Downs, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captrain), Lievseley, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Kirsopp, Peacock, Rigsby, and Harrison, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goal, Holmes, and Marshall, backs, Davidson, W. Carr, and Ellerington, half-backs, J. Carr, G. Carr, Butler, Jennings, and Unwin, forwards.

April 12 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves were a great attraction at Dover field and the record crowd for the season was present. Despite the heavy condition of the ground a capital contest was witnessed. Celtic just deserved their victory by the odd goal in three. The visitors played attractive football, but the chief feature of the play was their fine defence. Mitchell made many clever saves, and Bissett was a great man in defence, with Brewster the outstanding man in the middle line. In the forwards, Gault played well, and was easily the pick of the line. Everton led at the interval by one goal. Wall accepting a nice pass by Gault and beating the home goalkeeper. Celtic scored both their goals in the first seven minutes of the second half through Tetlow, and Joynt. The home forwards were a nippy lot. Tetlow being the best man on the field.

April 15, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. Everton had matters all their own way, early on Bickerstaffe made a fine save from Spencer, but soon after was beaten by a hot shot from Wall. Just before the interval, Lyon had hard lines when his shot grazed the crossbar with Mitchell beaten. The County made great efforts to score, but the Everton defence was safe. On resuming the County showed better form, Everton added two further goals and won by 3 goals to nil.

APRIL 16, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton will field the following team at Burnley: - Fern, Downs, Macconnachie, Fleetwood, Lievseley, Grenyer, Jones, Kirsopp, Peacock, Rigsby, and Harrison. The Reserves against Burnley at Goodison Park are: - Mitchell, Bissett, Thompson, Brown, Brewster, Williams, Spencer, Wall, Robinson, Howarth, and Donnachie.

BURNLEY 5 EVERTON 0 (Game 929)
April 19, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The Evertonians had a very disastrous experience at Turf Moor on Saturday, where Burnley, inflicted upon them a sensationally heavy defeat. Nothing right with them and, to be quite candid, the score might easily have been much heavier, as in the later stages they were hopelessly outplayed. The main fault lay with the forwards, who were ragged, jerky, and almost painfully ineffective in front of goal. Against this the Burnley forwards were well ordered and showed excellent combination, while their defence was almost invariably capable of playing off the attacks of the opponents. To make matters worse the Everton backs were by no means in there usual trim, but no possible fault could be found with the halves all of whom got through a tremendous amount of work.

Four of the five goals registered were primarily led up by an ex-Evertonian, in the person of Freeman. Operatiing at outside-right, the former centre forward clever gave either Grenyer or Macconnachie any rest, and his lobbing centres into the goalmouth were admirable examples of judgement and artistry. In the opening stages Everton promised well, but they seemed to fall away, when Anderson running upon a centre by Weaver opened the scoring. Burnley pressed persistently from this period to the interval, but nothing was added. In the second half the tale of woe –from an Everton point of view –was again taken up by Anderson, who added a second from Freeman's centre, and a few minutes later the same sturdy and trustful forward completed the "hat-trick," with an exceptionally fine effort. The fourth goal came from Watson, the left half-back, after a tremendous bully in front of Fern, and the rout was completed when Kelly claimed his share of the spoils with a telling shot. Kirsopp was easily the cleverest of the Everton line, and he was unlucky in not going, though with a couple of smart halves. Peacock missed a number of opportunities, and the work of the others was not convincing. Liveseley did well at centre-half though he had a difficult man to manage in Anderson. Teams : - Burnley: - Dawson, goal, Smelt, and Taylor, backs, Halley, Boyle, and Watson, half-backs, Freeman, Kelly, Anderson, Lindsay, and Weaver, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Macconnachie, backs, Fleetwood (Captain), Lievesley, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Kirsopp, Peacock, Rigsby, and Harrison, forwards. Referee Mr. Rylance.

April 19, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. Play was poor. In the first half, Everton monopolished the play, but poor shooting spoiled many chance. Burnley only on rare occasions crossed the half-way line. After the change of ends, Wall opened the score, for Everton, and Howarth added a second. Almost the last minute of the game, Spencer placed a corner kick well in the goalmouth, and Brewster headed a third . Everton: - Mitchell, Bissett, and Thompson, backs, Brown, Brewster, and Williams, half-backs, Spencer, Wall, Robinson, Howarth, and Donnachie, forwards.

April 22 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. Liverpool winning the toss, had the assistance of wind and sun, with the result that Mitchell was called upon to save three smart shots in as many minutes. It was a long time before Everton could get going, and Chedgzoy gained a corner, from which Baker brought off a smart save from Blair, and Jenkinson was lucky in clearing another fine attempt by Wall. Liverpool had a turn of pressure, and one good attempt by Jenkinson to get through was frustrated by Williams, who played a strong defensive game. Liverpool were the first to score. McNab placed the ball to Lewis, who gave Mitchell no chance. After this reverse Everton forced the game, and Donnachie hit the bar with Baker well beaten. Johnson scored a second for Liverpool, who led at half-time by 2 goals to 0.

In the second half the early play was mostly in favour of Everton, and Wall sent in the shot of the match, Baker tipping the ball over. Shortly afterwards Wall scored. Liverpool towards the end had matters much their own way, and the home backs, blundering badly, let in Johnson who scored.

April 24, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Benefits for seven Everton players, the management committee of the football League at a meeting in London last night granted Everton Football Club permission to pay the following players a sum of money on a benefit match: - Harrison, Thompson, Mitchell, Weller, Parker. Fern, and Clennell.

EVERTON 2 BURNLEY 2 (Game 930)
April 26, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
In dividing the points with Burnley at Goodison Park, Everton made their position in the League practically secure. The game provided an excellent contest, and Everton's partial success was well-earned. Burnley played splendid football in the first half and were justly entitled to their lead at the interval. In fact, they were so much superior that Everton's chances of any tangible reward seemed very remote. By dint of hard striving, however, Everton eventually wore down the opposition, and from being the inferior side they came through a severe struggle with great credit. Burnley gave a glimpse of their best work in the early stages and the footwork of the forwards was a model of accuracy. There was method and force in the attack, and when Freeman placed the ball into the centre after seven play the Everton defenders were "all at sea." The ball travelled along the crossbar and Anderson, who was splendidly placed, had no difficulty in finding the net. Twenty minutes later Weaver, who by the way, learnt his football in Birkenhead, scored a brilliant goal. It was an good effort and Weaver lofted the ball into the net from a very difficult angle. Kirsopp reduced the margin just before the interval, but there could be no mistaking the visitors superiority. Everton were obviously bent upon making a fight of it, and the forwards put far more vigour into their work after the interval. The Burnley defence showed signs of weakening and when Kirsopp equalised at sixty-seven minutes it was only in keeping with the trend of the game. Taylor had an easy chance to clear, but he hesitated and lost possession, Kirsopp went through and although Dawson left his goal to anticipate the shot, Kirsopp cleverly placed the ball between the Burnley custodian and the upright. The game was strenuously fought to the end, and both Anderson and Grenyer hit the woodwork with fine efforts. The Everton defence was very sound and Thompson made a fine partner to Downs, while the half-backs, especially Fleetwood, were strong in both defence and attack. The forwards hacked finish, but they made amends in the second half when they often overwhelmed the Burnley defenders with their vigorous attacks. Dawson was fond of taking risks by leaving his goal, although he made few mistakes. The backs were good and the half-backs displayed fine confidence and were rarely beaten. There was a capital understanding between the forwards, but Freeman did not accustom himself to his new berth with any great success. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Down, and Thompson, backs, Brown, Fleetwood (Captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Kirsopp, Peacock, Howarth, and Harrison, forwards. Burnley: - Dawson, goal, Smelt, and Taylor, backs, Halley, Boyle, and Watson, half-backs, Freeman, Kelly, Anderson, Lindsay, and Weaver, forwards.

April 26, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Burnley. The first half, which was goalless, largely favoured the home team. Bromilow made brilliant saves from Clarkson and Smelt, but the shooting on both sides was bad. Parker and Mayson, however, sent in fine shot. Burnley opened the scoring. Cross-shooting into an open goal, the defenders being mixed up after a partial clearance. Following that, Everton had most of the game, and after Mayson had equalised from a centre by Spencer, Parker gave his team the lead.

April 27, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The game at Deepdale fraught as it was with important consequences to the home eleven, attracted 20,000 spectators, who saw North End gave an improved display, without, however, showing much finish. Everton, while oftener defending than attacking, were well worth the point they secured. In the first half, both sides played robust football, the pace being at all times exacting while the tackling was keen. North End had more of the game but their finishing was not what it might have been. Downs the fearless tackling and fine anticipation twice prevented a score holding up, Roberts and Woodhouse close to the goal. Roberts was responsible for the opening goal, though Jefferis scored. He headed a corner kick, placed by Quinn into Fern's hands, and as the goalkeeper only stopped it, while near his knee, Jefferis had no difficulty in scoring. This success which came just inside a quarter of an hour, roused the North End to greater effort, but the whole side failed to live up to the improvement and the visitors drew level nine minutes late, Kirsopp equalising in a curious manner. Broadhurst miskicked, and the ball went out to Harrison, who promptly returned it, and Kirsopp's shot cannoned off one post and on to the other before he and Howarth rushed it through. As the light was none too good the game, was restarted almost immediately, and though heavy rain came on there was no slacking off the pace. North End ought to have drawn ahead in the first five minutes Woodhouse with an open goal placing out side. As the game wore on the crowd were treated to a succession of exciting incidents, but no goals. The North End defence had a bad time during a sustained siege, in which the inside forwards tried first-time shots without achieving the desired results. The North End rear division did not shot the same resourcefulness or confidence as Downs, and Thompson the former of whom accomplished two men's work and again saved a goal by stopping a free kick taken by Lee. He was knocked out by the force of the drive, but speedily recovered. Miller made two scoring attempts in a couple of minutes but Jefferis, Fern saving finely, made the best shot of the match. Teams: - Preston North End: - Causer, goal, Greatorex, and Broadhurst, backs, Lees, McCall, and Dawson, half-backs, Miller, Jefferis, Roberts, Woodhouse, and Quinn, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Thompson, backs, Brown, Fleetwood (Captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones Kirsopp, J. Blair, Howarth, and Harrison, forwards .

April 27, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton lost their last home fixture, last evening at Goodison Park, by the odd goal in five. Preston deserved their success, their combination being many superiors to that of the home side. In the first half they scored twice, through Green, and Holland, the first goal resulting from a miskick by Bissett. Three minutes after the chance of ends Jones reduced the lead, but two minutes later Hosker got through for Preston. Then Everton pressed strongly, but missed many openings. Chedgzoy scored Everton's second goal and near time both Wall and Jones missed chances.

April 30, 1920. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The directors of the Everton Football Club are to issue a circular to shareholders in a few days pointing out the club's position and the cause thereof, and stating that if the three retiring directors (Messars J. Davies, Hatsall, and Banks) are not reelect the remaining directors will resign their position, as the adverse vote will imply a want of confidence in the whole board.

April 1920