Everton Independent Research Data



April 1, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.

Everton, who journey to Chelsea, are again experimenting. The amateur J.E. Blair, is to lead the attack, and will have as right partner the Irishman, Irvine, while on the left will be Wall. Chedgzoy who by the way will take the benefit next Saturday turns out again on the extreme right, while at the other end of the line will be Harrison. On paper the line looks a good one, but it will to be left to the play, to decide whether it is thrusting enough. In the halves position, Brewster makes a welcome return, but will be an enforced absentee, the Scotsman being under suspensions. Everton, who are by no means a powerful side will have Howard Baker, the ex-Evertonian, in goal. This lends additional interest to the match, which is likely to be more strenuous, them scientific, and it will not create surprise if neither side locate the net. The sides are: - Fern, Downs, McDonald, Brown, Brewster, Peacock, Chedgzoy, Irvine, JE Blair, Wall, Harrison, Chelsea: - B. Howard Baker, G. Smith, Harrows, S. Smith, Wilding, Meehan, Bell, Ford, Cock, Sharp, and McNeil.


CHELSEA 1 EVERTON 0 (Game 1008)

April 3, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.



The Chelsea-Everton game had several counter-attractions to contend with, and as a result about 20,000 spectators attended –the poorest gate at Stamford Bridge this season. The game itself was very moderate, and the Pensioners won by a snap goal scored in the first minute. Everton's chief weakness lay with the inside forwards. As an experiment, J. E. Blair, the ‘Varsily amateur, led the attack, but he was rarely seen. Irvine's change to inside right did not bring the improvement hoped for, and Wall's shooting was not good; in fact, not one of the three gave Howard Baker a hard shot to deal with. Both Harrison and Chedgzoy put in some good runs, but their centres were wasted, and the best scoring efforts came from them, each driving with great speed inches the wrong side of the upright. Fleetwood played very well as pivot, working hard and effectively the full ninety minutes, and Peacock also showed good form till he received a nasty ankle injury. Brown was not quite so steady as the pair named. The latter, however, was well covered by Downs, the hero of the match from the Everton point of view. On three occasions the right back headed away shots sailing straight for the net, and his display all round was so fine that he was several times cheered by the home spectators. Weller kicked a good length, but his tackling was not always accurate. Fern made several brilliant saves, notably one in the second half, a single-handed punch just under the bar from a rising drive by Sharp.


Howard Baker kept a good goal for the home eleven, his hugh punts being a feature, Harrow was the better of the backs, and Meehan a fine half, but the forwards were inept in front of goal, finishing good passing movements with wild shots, or they would have won by a bigger margins. The goal quite took the crowd by surprise. A combined move from the kick off was partially repulsed, but Chelsea came again, and Ford was given an opening. He shot hard to the right of Fern, who managed to touch the ball as he fell, but it was travelling too fast to be diverted. Play continued in favour of Chelsea, but it was largely a battle between the halves, and though play was fast it was largely confined to midfield. The home eleven –who wore white shirts –began the second half with further electrifying rushes, but were beaten back, and for a time the Blues showed promise. Howard Baker, however, was not unduly perturbed, and before the finish Fern had a great deal more to do, in spite of Downs skill, but the defence prevailed, and kept the adverse score to the lowest possible margin. The teams were: - Chelsea: - B. Howard Baker, goal, G. Smith, and Harrow, backs, S. Smith, Wilding, and Meehan, half-backs, Bell, Ford, Cock, Sharp, and McNeil, forwards. Everton: -Fern, goal, Downs, and Weller, backs, Brown, Fleetwood (captain), and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, J.E. Blair, Wall, and Harrison, forwards.



April 3, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.


The score of a goal to nil in favour of Everton by no means represented their superiority over Bradford City on Saturday. The Blues gave a more virile and convincing display than has been seen at Goodison Park for some time, and only a stout defence prevented a far greater margin in the scorers. The ground was in a heavy condition, and this spoiled several of the Blues' bouts of passing, but when in possession they were always dangerous. Chadwick scored midway through the second half, on the same player might easily have had further goals, had he been more incisive in front of goal. Wilkinson the City custodian gave a remarkably keen display. Livingstone, at full back, and all the half backs were good. Miller work strenuously at inside right, and Chadwick also did well at centre, while Jackson created a very favourable impression at inside left. The City were best served by Wilkinson, Boocock, Robb and Goldthorpe. Everton: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone, backs, Jeffs, Brewster, and Reid, half-backs, Jones, Miller, Chadwick, Jackson, and Alford, forwards. Bradford City Reserves: - Wilkinson, goal, Hay, and Boocock, backs, Hill, Wheeler, and Robb, half-backs, Booth, Johns, Goodthorpe, Brithwhile, and Cook, forwards. Referee F. Shackleton (Rochdale).


Dundee Evening telegraph-Friday 7 April 1922

John Kelso, the clever right back, of Dumbarton Braehead United, has gone to Everton on a month's trial. Kelso, who is a Dumbarton lad, is a promising player, being the son of “Bob” Kelso, the once famous defender of the Renton champions of the world team, who also saw service with Preston, Everton and Dundee.


April 8, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury

John Kelso right back of Dumbarton, Brachead United, has come to Everton on a month's trail; Kelso who is a native of Dumbarton is a promising player. He is a son of bob Kelso the famous defender of Renton, who also saw services with Preston, Everton and Dundee.


EVERTON 2 CHELSEA 3 (Game 1009)

April 10, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.




A glance at the First Division table on this day, will show that matters are far from bright at Goodison Park just at present. The club is not in a position to be able to afford defeats from sides of the calibre of Chelsea. That they failed on Saturday was due in some degree to ill luck, for it was found impossible to play McDonald and Peacock owing to injuries, while during the game Downs had to leave the field twice for attention, and before the finish he had gone to outside right, where he was practically a passenger. Fleetwood took up the back position, and Everton not only kept their sheet clean in this half, but reduced their deficit. They were unable –to retrieve a point, however, though they deserved to do so on the general run of the play, of which they had, if anything more than their opponents.


Fern could not be blamed, as he was defeated by three fine specimens of heading, while for a long spell Downs was the best back on the field, the variety and cleanness of his work making him a very valuable asset. Livingstone also performed creditably, though a backward drag of the ball near his own goal with opponents closing on him was a hair-raising clearance which was cheered because it came off, but would have been reviled had it failed. The halves, however, did not do quite so well as usual, Fleetwood's interceptions were good, but his passing was not too accurate and Brown and Grenyer were kept mainly on the defensive. The palm for forward play must be given to Sam Chedgzoy, for whose benefit the match had been set apart. He was guaranteed £650 and a collection was also made. Chedgzoy was to be preferred to Harrison, well as the latter acquitted himself, because he was up against the smarter half, as in Meehan he had a worrying attendant but frequently eluded him and provided openings. However, the inside forwards were harassed and kept at a distance, so that the shots reached Howard Baker were few and not very forceful.


The Chelsea custodian was prone to leave his goal unguarded on the slightest provocation, but it was a wise move when he ran out and Smith threw in to him, as the goalkeeper could kick much further than the half could throw indeed Baker's clearances over the half-way line were, as usual a feature of his play. Both the backs were burly and difficult to beat, whilst Wilding gave a great exhibition of placing and Cock was a capital leader of the attack, ever ready to test Fern. For a long period in the first half Everton seemed the more likely to score and it came as a surprise when nearing the half-hour Cock scored with a perfect downward header, the ball bouncing against the inner side of the upright and turning into the net. Very soon afterwards he was given a similar chance and scored in precisely the same way. With 37 minutes gone a corner fell to Everton and from this Reid sent in a long drive which passed through the crowd and into the net. Almost immediately afterwards the referee took the teams off the field as it had become so gloomy it was impossible to follow the flight of the ball. A long interval ensued and with the light getting better the first half was resumed and just before the interval proper Sharp also headed a goal for Chelsea. Play was fast and interesting in the second half, but the defences prevailed till a few minutes from time, when Spencer headed the final goal. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Fleetwood (Captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Spencer, Irvine, Reid, and Harrison, forwards. Chelsea: - B. Howard Baker goal, G. Smith, and Harrow, backs, S. Smith, Wilding, and Meehan, half-backs, Bell, Hoddinott, Cock, Sharp, and McNeil, forwards. Referee Mr. Griffiths (Derby).



April 10 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury


The Bradford ground was a sea of mud on Saturday, the deplorable conditions making good football impossible. Nevertheless, the pace in the first half was very fast and the Everton forwards continually threatening danger, the Bradford defenders conceding corners after corner, and it was only the excellence of the home goalkeeper that prevented a score. Bradford scored ten minutes after the resumption through Cook. Everton then having only ten men, due to Weller being temporally incapacitated. Just prior to this Salt effected a splendid save from a penalty kick awarded again Weller. Thoughout the second half snow fell heavily and the football degenerated considerably. The result was certainly fattening to the Bradford side, Everton developed the majority of the attack. Down the two wings Holford especially being dangerous force. Of the hard working half-backs Margrea was the most conspicuous.



April 11 1922. The Liverpool Courier.



Everton obtained a point, which at the present juncture is invaluable, as a result of the visit of the finalists, Preston North End to Goodison Park yesterday, as neither side was able to score. Preston were inclined to take matters fairly easily at one stage, and Everton certainly kept their defence fully stretched, but one glorious chance was wasted by Irvine though hesitancy, and near the end, when Harrison took a free kick, he beat the keeper, but the leather struck the face of the crossbar with terrific force and rebounded into play, to be eventually cleared. Downs was hurt on Saturday, and with McDonald still unavailable through a damaged leg, Fleetwood was called upon to partner Livingstone. He did not always remember, however, to kick clear at the first chance, and his dribbling might have led to trouble. His partner, too, was apt to try to beat his man, and both gave away a number of corners, Brewster was pivot and his kicking was not always sure, the best of the halves being Grenyer, though Brown put in some useful work. Reference has been made to Irvine's miss, but he sent in some good shots, though the best efforts in this direction came from Reid, who has been transferred from inside left to inside right. His long drives were both fast and accurate, and he gave a capital display. Chedgzoy also worked hard and centred well, while Harrison's distribution was nicely judged. The half-backs Hart, whose suspension had ended, was his partner, and while he showed flashes of skill he did not do a great deal, possibly through being dazed in the early stages. Branston had much more to do than Fern, and kept goal brilliantly. He had a couple of capital backs in front of him in Hamilton and Doolan, the former giving an artistic display. None did better, however, than Joe McCall, whose interventions and passes to his forwards were masterly. The front line men, however, were only moderate, though Roberts' heading was good. Ferris, who deputised for Jefferis, could not get much out of Rawlings, while the shooting of the left wing was poor.


In the early stages Chedgzoy went close with a shot which went across the goalmouth, and than Branston was surprised by Irvine, but cleared by jabbing the ball with his knees. Twice Reid made Branston extend himself and then the latter scooped away a hook shot from Brown. Near the interval he was knocked out in checking Irvine. Play in the first half had not been very strenuous, and there was little improvement in the second half. Everton were earnest, but there were frequent mistakes on both sides, some of the kicking being very weak. Hart was temporarily laid out through rushing into a hard driven ball. Everton were forcing steadily but nothing was coming of it, home players in their anxiety colliding with each other. Livingstone tripped Roberts in the penalty area, but the referee allowed the centre to go on and he missed badly. Preston had a spell through a couple of free kicks but a corner was cleared. From a pass by Quinn, Roberts headed towards the framework, but Fern caught the ball cleverly. Brewster gave away a couple of corners. Doolan cleverly recovered after being beaten by Chedgzoy. As the latter centred to Irvine, who had only the goalkeeper to beat Doolan trapped the ball. Branston ran out but was dispossessed by Hart and the leather was scrambled into touch. Then came the final thrill of Harrison's free kick. The teams were: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Fleetwood, and Livingstone, backs, Brown Brewster (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs Chedgzoy, Reid, Irvine, Hart, and Harrison, forwards. Preston North End: - Branston, goal, Hamilton and Doolan, backs, Crawford, McCall, and Irving, half-backs, Rawlings, Ferris, Roberts, Woodhouse, and Quinn forwards.



April 13, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.

This Easteride is fought with serious consequences to quite a number of lowly placed sides, amongst them Everton. At present the Goodison Park side hold the lead of a point over the Arsenal, while Oldham, Bradford City, and Birmingham come next with a two points' lead each, the latter trio being all upon the 30 points mark. With such a slight margin between the five clubs, it will be realised what an anxious time for both players and directors alike the week-end is going to be. Of those in danger of relegation, Manchester United of course are doomed. The Arsenal are without a match on Good Friday, but Everton, Bradford City Birmingham, and Oldham Athletic will be playing. Of these, the Goodison Park side appear to have the better chance of success as they will be at home to Huddersfiield, while the others are all fulfilling away matches. Everton, however, will have to shape much better than they did against the other Cup finalists last Monday if they are to success as Huddersfiled will be all out to assist the other Yorkshire club by snatching a victory; while a similar state of affairs will prevail at Tottenham, where the ‘Spurs will do the Arsenal a good turn by beating Oldham. On Saturday Everton journey to Sheffield United, another stiff hurdle, while Bradford City and Birmingham indulge in a battle royal in the Yorkshire city. A similar state of affairs will prevail at Manchester, where the United receive Oldham, and at White Hart Lane, where Arsenal provide the fare.



April 15, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury




Before 40,000 people at Goodison Park, yesterday, Everton played virile football, and their shooting, which brought them a 6-2 victory, was the best they have done this season. Huddersfield were outplayed and outclassed, and it was not until a penalty kick was awarded them that they ever looked like scoring. In the earlier moments of the game they showed some nice combination, but they were never in the hunt once Everton had settled down. Chedgzoy, with a flick of his boot, put Irvine in a scoring position, and the centre's shot travelled only a yard wrong. The Irish International, however, made amends immediately afterwards with a brilliantly conceived goal. Brewster headed forward and Irvine cleverly added the ball over Wadsworth and then took deliberate aim and Davies had no chance whatever. Everton were playing so well within themselves and shooting so deadly that after fifteen minutes' play another goal came their way, Chedgzoy demonstrated the value of cutting into goal instead of hanging on the touch line, and neatly flicking the ball round Woods, shot hard and true into the net. The only danger that came from Huddersfield up to this point was from a corner kick, and even this was readily cleared by the strong Everton defence. Seven minutes later Everton sent their supporters wild with delight. Irvine took up a free kick, ran clean through the backs and beat Davies for the third time. It was debatable whether the decision for offside against Huddersfield which practically brought the gaol was a correct one. All the Huddersfield forwards seemed to be well on-side when Mr. Leigh blew them up. Irvine, was in a sparkling mood, in fact the whole team were playing irresistibly –a revelation to most of us who had seen them just previously. It was the real Everton, and when Chedgzoy worked his way through and beat Davies for the fourth time many were wondering if it really was Everton. The second half was not quite so interesting, but even so Everton were always on top. Hart showed a popular Scottish method of defence when he back-healed and thus prevented W. Smith from getting close in. The firth goal scored by Irvine was the outcome of a fine movement by the left wing, Harrison ending by dropping the ball right in front of Davies and Irvine's shot grazed the crossbar on its way to goal. Stephenson of the Huddersfield forwards was the only man who essayed a shot that bore any real sting, but Fern made a clean catch and clearance.


Although Chedgzoy took the credit for the sixth goal the initiatory work was Irvine's. Finding his way blocked he veered over to the left and gave way to Harrison, who centred first time to Peacock who in turn glided the ball to Chedgzoy. The right winger, without a moment's hesitation drove in a fierce ball that Davies never had the chance to save, so all had a hand in securing the biggest score Everton have had this season. Huddersfiled had not quite given up, and W. Smith tried to crush his way through, and only a timely tackle by Brewster stopped him. Byers had three chances just after this, and wasted them all by striking the side netting. Then came Livingstone's handling case –a purely accidental one, the ball running up his body and touching his hands. Wadsworth made no mistake, from the penalty kick , and beat Fern at the twenty-six minute. Chedgzoy who had gone inside right made a great shot and saw Davies make an equally fine save. Peacock then left the field, Huddersfield's second and last goal came from W. Smith, who improved upon a centre made by his namesake, W. H. Smith. It would not be fair to pick out any one man as being above his comrades. All played with a zeal that has been lacking all too long. One pleasing feature was the shooting of the inside forwards, and if mention of any man should be made Chedgzoy is that man. His display throughout both in attack and defence was the best he has shown for some time. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Fleetwood, and Livingstone, backs, Hart, Brewster (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock Irvine, Reid, and Harrison, forwards. Huddersfield Town: - Davies, goal, Wood, and Wadsworth, backs, Borough, Wilson, and Watson, half-backs, Byers, Mann, Smith (W), Stephenson, and (WH) Smith, forwards.



April 10, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury


The great failing of the Everton Reserves forwards at Huddersfield yesterday, was their slowness in shooting in the first half. Had they taken they chances they could have won the match, as hesitation by Wall and Chadwick undoubtedly lost them one goal, before the interval when Huddersfield led by two to one. There was considerable improvement in this respect after the interval. The Everton halves were very sound, but the fullbacks were inclined to miskick the slippery ball. Salt gave a cool display, but Jones was the best Everton forward. Fare has a tough struggle against speedy Langham, but he got his measure in the second half. Mackay and Brown scored for Huddersfield, and Wall in the first half, for Everton. Jackson equalised after Chadwick had hit the under part of the cross-bar.



April 17 1922. The Liverpool Courier.



Everton did not obtain kudos in the share of points at Bramall-Lane, but on the general run of the play they deserved one. Luck was against them from the start, however, in the first place Peacock, who had made such an improvement in the attack the previous day, was not able to play swung to injury, and his partners, who had done wonders against Huddersfield, were absolutely innocuous. Then there was a strong wind blowing from goal to goal, which the Blues had to face in the first half. They did so successfully, and when the teams retired at half time without any score the United directors expressed the opinion that their side would be beaten. However, a snap goal immediately on the resumption sealed the fate of Everton, who saw the wind drop to nothing just when needed it. Another thing to be remembered in Everton's favour was that Sheffield were a fresh side, while the visitors were felling the effects of the previous day's exertions.


For the goalkeeper of a beaten side, Fern had comparatively little to do. Nor could Blackwell complain of overwork, most of the shots that reached either man completely lacking sting. Downs was easily the best back on the field, and some of his spectacular but accurate interceptions were heartily applauded. Milton was the better of the home pair, but both Sturgess and Livingstone played well, though each set was included to put the ball too much up in the air in a tricky wind. Of the halves the feinting of Hart was very neat, while both Brewster and Grenyer used their height to advantage when heading was required. McCourt was the pick of the United three, though as a trio they were in no way behind the Everton men. Coming to the respective attacks, neither set did anything really worthy of comment. Chedgzoy could not get going either in his usual position, nor as an inside right when Brown moved out owing to a kick on the leg. Irvine was trustful, but did not hit the ball with any power, and Reid make anything of Harrison clean centres. For Sheffield Mercer was the only one who was consistent and really reliable.


In the opening stages the United had sun and wind to aid them, but were troubled early by a pass from Harrison, while Chedgzoy also swept the ball into the middle, but Irvine's header was too high. At the other end Fern was brought out and dispossessed by Johnson who shot the wrong side of the upright. Menlove had a couple had a couple of tires with no success, and than Hart fired high. Back came the United, and Mercer drove straight across the goalmouth. So swayed the game, and at half time it was fitting that there should be no score. Immediately on resuming the ball was pushed out to Tunstall, who made a square pass to Menlove, which the latter headed into the net, it being the first time he had done the right thing. It was the first goal the ex-Palace man had scored for Sheffield, and he was rarely seen afterwards. Everton tried strenuously to get on terms, but nothing they could do troubled Blackwell, and when Brewster tried a solo run he was robbed at the critical moment. Play slowed down near the finish, but the Everton right back received two nasty knocks, and his partner was cautioned for rough tactics. The points relieved the United of any further anxiety regarding relegation, but left Everton still among the possibles. The teams were: - Sheffield United: - Blackwell, goal, Sturgess, and Milton, backs, Pantling, McCourt, and Halliwell, half-backs, Mercer, Johnson, Menlove, Gillespie, and Tunstall, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Down and Livingstone, backs, Hart, Brewster (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Brown, Irvine, Reid, and Harrison, forwards.



April 17 1922. The Liverpool Courier.



The following letter, with reference to the Everton Club from Mr. Thomas Heaton, of Grassendale, is to hand: -

I enclose herein a copy of a letter which is being circulated to the shareholders of the Everton Football Club, which has been signed by 101 members and I would esteem it a favour if you gave same the publicity, of this columns. You will observe that this letter draws special attention to the complete and utter failure of the present board of directors to carry out the promise they so glibly made to the shareholders in 1920 and 1921, and to such an extent have they failed that this famous club is for the first time in its long and honourable career in imminent danger of relegation to the Second Division of the League. At two large enthusiastic meetings of the shareholders recently held to consider the position it was unanimously decided to propose the removal of the present board to replace them with men of experience and ability in whom the members feel they can place their full confidence to build up the club until it once more occupies the proud position it has previously held as one of the foremost sporting organisations in the county. What we, the shareholders require is performance not promises.


The circular referred to, which is signed by Mr. J. E. Hindle, chairman; Mr. Thomas Heaton, Secretary; and a large number of shareholders, is as follows: - prior to the annual meeting of 1920 the present directors of the club issued a circular to the shareholders, from which the following is an extract: - “ We are seriously concerned with the reputation of the Everton Club, not only from a football point of view, but also as regards its consideration by the other League organisations in this country. The chairman's clique have pulled it from its pedestal, we intend to replace it on a firmer basis than ever, and we have sufficient conceit in ourselves to know that we can do it. “In one League match last season the team as chosen by this majority was the laughing stock of the spectators. Is this Everton? They said. The Syndicate candidates simply could not do worse than the circular five. Why not give them a chance of doing better?”

It will be observed that they admitted that the club had a good name and was on a pedestal, a position due to the good work done by the men they were striving to displace. “They claimed that it had fallen from its high estate, and they had the “conceit” that they could fir it again.

What have they done?

• Spent over £30,000 for the transfer of players, a great dissipation of the club's resources, for what results?

• After two years of their government the club is a weaker force from a playing standpoint, than it ever was, notwithstanding the hugh expenditure on transfer. During practically the whole of this season the club has never been far removed from the bottom of the League table, and to-day is in imminent danger of relegation to the Second Division.

• The English Cup was lost in the first round to a poorly placed Second League team by the phenomenal score of 6-0, the game being played at Goodison Park. The result of this made the club the laughing stock of the football world.

• We have assurance that the players are dissatisfied; one first team man has said: “The game are lost in the board-room, not by the players on the field.” Another: “There isn't a practical man on the board.” Others have expressed themselves in similar strain. How can the players do well if they have lost confidence in their directors?

The old directors, ever since the foundation of the League, kept the club at the head of affairs, as they had the best average points of any club in the country. This is the real test of merit. Compare this record with the present position of the club. A feeling of intense dissatisfaction at the present precarious position of the club (which we attribute solely to bad management) has found expression in a proposal to remove the whole of the present board, who boastfully promised so much and who have shown that they have not the ability to perform. We wish to replace them by men who will command the confidence and respect of the shareholders, the players, and the leaders and legislators of the football world. We claim the assistance of the body of our fellow-shareholders to accomplish the object we have in view.



April 17 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury


The thing of Everton Reserves game with Port Vale of Hanley, is one of missed opportunities by the visitors, who certainly should have won on the chances which were presented to then. The game ended in a draw of one goal each. Six minutes before halt-time Chadwick scored cleverly for the visitors, who retained this lead until eight minutes from the end, when Brough equalised. No doubt the wind, which was blowing half a gale, did much to upset the calculations of the players of both teams. Everton had it behind then in the first half, but played quite as well, if not better, with the wind in their teeth. Salt kept a good goal well, and Fare and Yarwood defended stubbornly, particularly against the wind. The half-backs worked hard, and generally held the Vale forwards in check, but they are not good in constructive play. Jones contributed a number of sparkling runs and centres, and Jackson gave a useful display.



April 18, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury


Whatever chance Everton had of overtaking the leaders they allowed to slip through their inability to overcome Port Vale and Huddesfield during the week-end. Previous to yesterday's match with Huddersfield they were 3 points behind Sheffield United with a game in hand, and level with Manchester City, these two teams occupying first and second place, with Everton third. A strong win was blowing when the blues won the toss, and they immediately took up the ruuning, giving the Huddersfield keeper much to do. The visitors, however, were the first to score, Brown accepting a pass from Foloke and giving Salt no chance. This goal was scored after ten minutes play, but Everton were not long in getting the equaliser, a centre by Jones being handled by Goodall in the penalty area, Weller converted. After this most chances came Everton's way, but they failed to get the ball past Mutch till close upon the interval, when Chadwick headed through from a centre by Alford. With the wind against them in the second period, the play of Everton considerably deteriorated, and their goal had many narrow escapes. One shot from Pearson struck the upright with salt well beaten, and in the last two minutes the home defence was sorely troubled in keeping out well-placed corners. Taking the game all through, Everton were good value for their win, and still were fortunate in holding the lead in the last moments, when great pressure was put on the defence. Salt, Fare, Yarwood, and Weller were Everton's outstanding players, with Mutch Whitfield, McKay, Pearson, and Brown for the visitors.



April 19, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.




Everton made a surprising recovery against Huddersfield in the match at Leeds-road, yesterday, for after being a very inferior side in the first half, and being one goal down at the interval, they improved remarkably in the second half, scoring two goals in quick succession. That Huddersfield had the better of the first half can be judged from the fact that Davies, the Town's goalkeeper, handled only once, whilst Fern was frequently called upon. In this half the work of the Huddersfield team was sound, and had the forwards been more accurate the team would have led by more than a goal to nil at the interval. Livingstone and Downs, however, did good work in the Liverpool defence, and both kicked with power and precision. Brewster was the pick of the halves, but was injured in a collision and retired shortly before the interval. Stitches were put in his head and he reappeared in the second half. During this period the forwards could do little, for Wadsworth played a great game, and frequently retrieved the mistakes of his partner, Cawthrorne, the reserve back. Everton were a wonderfully transformed side after the interval, and they soon had the Huddersfield in difficulties. The forwards exhibited clever combination, especially on the right, but it was Grenyer who scored an opportunists goal six minutes after the interval. This success fired the Everton side to further efforts, and shortly after Irvine added a second point. It was an even battle after this, but Everton never seemed to loose their grip of the game, and Huddersfield's cohesive work of the opening stages was not seen again. Smith and Byers changed places, and this had a bad effect on the work of the line. Mann, who scored early on, could not repeat this, and he shot wildly over from point blank range. On the run of play Everton hardly deserved to win, and had Davies been as good as Fern, Everton would not have got two goals. Huddersfield halves cracked badly, and their miskicking and poor placing gave the Everton forwards many opportunities. Wilson was the pick, but the deteriorated towards the end, when the Everton forwards used hustle and pace.


Islip and Stephenson were the best of the forwards. Fern played a great game for Everton and saved his goal frequently in the first half. Downs and Livingstone were a capable pair of backs and Brewster was the best half, although he was injured. His resumption added greatly to the confidence of his side and did much towards gaining the victory. The right wing of Chedgzoy and Fazackerley was by no means as effective as on Friday and Wadsworth never was at a complete loss. Grenyer was the best forward and his surprise point was a brilliant piece of opportunism. Irvine was pushful and quick. Everton were distinctly the quicker side and had fewer opportunities than Huddersfield. Brewster with his men, was clever and the forwards received great assistance from this department. It was a recovery only a well-balanced side was capable of achieving. Huddersfield in their remaining three games will have to show the form of earlier in the season to prevent their topping over the brink into the Second Division. Teams: - Huddersfield Town: - Davies, goal, Crawthorne, and Wadsworth, backs, Shalder, Wilson, and Watson, backs, Byers, Mann, Islip, Stephenson, and Smith, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Fleetwood, Brewster (captain), and Hart half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Grenyer, and Harrison, forwards.


APRIL 22, 1922. Aberdeen Daily Journal

THE REPORT HAS GAINED CURRENCY THAT George Brewster, who went to Everton two years ago, and who was capped for Scotland against England last season, is likely to return to Aberdeen. Brewster has not been appearing regularly in the Everton first eleven of late, and it has been common knowledge for some time that he has been desirous of a change, and wishes to return to Scotland. The player has home ties with Aberdeen, and were he to be transferred back to Pittodrie I is considered he would be a tower of strength to the team. Brewster was transferred to Everton at the New Year, 1920 for what was then a record fee for a Scottish player. He is a native of Woodside, and is an ex-Woodside and Mugiemoss junior. The Everton club is likely to place a big transfer fee on his head, but it is not through this would prove an imurnmountable obstacle to his return to Aberdeen.


April 24 1922. The Liverpool Courier.



“Safety first” was the slogan of the Blues, and thanks to getting point out of the visit of Sheffield United, together with the fall of Bradford City, they can look upon the two matches with Burnley with equanimity. Even if the “wooden” team win both their remaining games and Everton are beaten, goal average puts the “Blues” in Easy-Street”. They had to fight desperately hard to make matters comfortable, and it was not till the closing stages of the encounter that they became on level terms. The outstanding figure in a memorable match was Dicky Downs. Seldom if ever, has he been seen so remarkable in defence, and the “Blades” looked like running away with the home side in the first half. He was a host in himself, head of foot being ready every time; while he was not averse to a sudden sprint up the field, and once got in a drive which was caught by the opposition custodian.


Fern was noteworthy for two astonishing saves in rapid succession when he repulsed a hot shot from awkward range by Gillespie, and as Johnson dashed up hurled himself at the centre-forward and secured the leather from his foot. Livingstone also played in steady style, and repeatedly checked threatening advances. Everton were seriously handicapped owing to an injury to Grenyer, who was little better than a passager for nearly the whole of the game, and finished up at outside left. This threw a tremendous lot of work on Brewster and Hart, and both Scots acquitted themselves in great style. So well did they play that it would be invidious to choose between them, and Everton certainly owed them a great deal for the tremendous energy they display. Forward none worked harder than irvine, though the greatest skill was shown by Chedgzoy, who was well supported by Peacock, Reid, and Harrison, however, were very disappointing, the latter being completely off colour.

Blackwell kept a good goal for Sheffield, and the United were also served by the backs. McCourt was the pick of the halves, and Gillespie was the outstanding forward.


The visitors had much the better of the midfield play, the first half, and it was only justice, when Gillespie headed the ball against the upright which turned into the net a couple of minutes prior to the interval. Everton, knowing how much depended on the result, struggled with the energy of despair in the second half, and a brilliant pass by Chedgzoy was met by Brewster, whose header eluded the custodian to the great delight of the crowd. The match was for the benefit of Tommy Fleetwood but he could not play owing to a severe cold. The teams were: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Hart, Brewster (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Irvine, Reid, and Harrison, forwards. Sheffield United: - Blackwell, goal, Sturgess, and Milton, backs, Pantling, McCourt, and Halliwell, half-backs, Lowe, Sampy, Johnson, Gillespie, and Tunstall, forwards.



April 28, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.


Everton sustained a severe drubbing at Bolton last evening, when they met the “Trotters” in the qualifying competition of the Lancashire Senior Cup, the home side winning by six clear goals. The Bolton men revelled in the mud, with which the ground was covered; but at the same time showed considerable skill in carrying out their numerous attacks. On the other hand the visitors did not appear inclined to risk overmuch, and their spasmodic efforts were easily smothered by the hard-working home halves. Alford at times showed cleverness, and was easily the most conspicuous of the erratic Everton forwards. Chadwick missed a good chance after breaking through. Jack had to leave the field through sickness for twenty minutes, and before the close Welsh also retired. Fern gave a fine exhibition in goal, although beaten six times. Near the end Fazackerley came into the picture. The scorers for Bolton were Jack (3), Smith (2), and Welsh. Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Pym, goal, Howarth, Keetley, backs, Longsworth, Rowley, and Buchan, half-backs, Butler, Jack, Welsh, Smith (captain), and Vizard, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Caddick, and Yarwood, backs, Brown, Fleetwood (captain), and Peacock, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Chadwick, Reid, and Alford, forwards.



April 29, 1922. The Liverpool Courier

Everton will be at Turf Moor, where Burnley do not give away many points. However, the Blues are not without hope of extracting at least one point. Fleetwood returns to the half-back line, while Reid and Alford from the left wing. Teams are Everton, Fern, Downs, Livingstone, Fleetwood, Brewster, Hart, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Irvine, Reid, and Alford, Burnley, Dawson, Smelt, Astin, Emerson, Basnett, Watson, Fisher, Kelly, Richardson, Lindsay, and Mosscrop.


April 1922