Everton Independent Research Data


Sunday Post - Sunday 01 April 1923
Another old Glasgow favourite is also for disposal—the ex-Ranger. Bobby Parker, now with Notts Forest F.C., who has been in English football for several years. Everton secured him from the Light Blues after a keen chase, in which many clubs took part, and at Goodison Park Bobby made good. . When resumed after the war, in which was severely injured, he did not touch quite his old standard of form, and few seasons ago, while leading London club was chasing him, the  Foresters chipped in and induced him —he was then on Everton’s transfer list —to sign for them. This season he has not played regularly in the League team, but he is still a very capable player, who should have little difficulty in finding another club.

April 2, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
By “Bees.”
In view of Everton's success against the Cup finalists at Bolton on Good Friday, a big crowd turned out at Goodison Park in the expectation of seeing Everton easily account for the Burnley side that was beaten by five goals to one by Cardiff City. They, were disappointed. Everton only won 1-0, and the goal was one, which would not occur again in forty days and forty nights. Admittedly, the display of Everton for a long time was of a fascination order, and it seemed that whatever the result Everton must please the eye. Still, there was a lack of finality about all their movements, which led to Moorwood having an easy task until late on, when he had to save from one of his own men. Taylor, who nearly put through his own goal. Moorland was then on his toes, but prior to this he had the misfortune to scoop at a ball which curled out of his hands into the net. It was a header from Forbes soon after the interval. It was not a goal to be joyful about, although there was joy in the fact that it brought two points. Everton were not quite worthy of this goal, for Burnley gave Fern a lot of work, and the Everton goalkeeper pitched here and there, yet never lost possession. There was a time when Lindsay, who was right through the defence, should have given Fern no chance, but a similar remark can be levelled against Forbes, who stood in front of Moorwood, and drove right at the latter's feet; so that balances matters.

The best work was in the first half, when Everton played pretty football and engaged in a series of good combined work. Then Everton thought they had nothing to beat and nearly paid the penalty, because Burnley, with Kelly as centre-forward, were always dangerous in their flash-away runs. Kelly is not physically fit for a centre-forward, but he has brains and is a competent footballer. Moreover, he sank his individuality so that he might be enterprising and unselfish with his passes. The result was that every time Kelly started a movement Burnley looked very dangerous and Fern was a busy goalkeeper. After a spell of about twenty minutes Burnley began to fade away somewhat, and in the smoky atmosphere Everton came forward, yet there was still that lack of definiteness near goal, and if Everton would not shoot they could not hope to make their good footwork produce tangible results. Late in the game Weaver, in particular, and Cross in a minor degree, came out of their shells and gave the home defence a warm time, whereas Morgan and Taylor always held a tight rein on Chedgzoy and Irvine. Morgan is a local boy of the Burnley area, and in taking the place of Watson, he took on a big task, which he accomplished with every success.

The main incidents of the game were an injury to Hart, who, however, persevered and played well, a fine save by Fern from Kelly, who was only six yards out, and when Moorwood was surrounded by players and kept hold of the ball, eventually throwing it round the post for a corner. Moorwood's best save was the one he made from one of his own men. Taylor, who miskicked, and nearly put through his own goal. As a game it was not very brilliant, yet Everton were in many ways delightful, for Troup was fascinating and frolicking, and if Forbes was not strong enough for Basnett the home half-backs saved the situation. McBain in particular playing a strong and clever game. At full back Fleetwood was tried in place of Downs, who is suffering from pleurisy, and he did quite well in his new place. Fern however, was the star member of his side. On the losing side the votes were given to Taylor, Smelt, Basnett, Morgan, Kelly and Weaver. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Fleetwood, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Burnley: - Moorwood, goal, Smelt, and Taylor, backs, Emerson, Basnett, and Morgan, half-backs, Nesbitt, Lindsay, Kelly, Cross, and Weaver, forwards. Referee L. Barker.

April 2, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton were a better-balanced and more skillful side than Port Vale at Hanley, and deserved their victory. The forwards of the visiting team did not have so large a share of the attack as their opponents, but they were always more dangerous, and they took advantage of the opportunities which came their way. Virr scored after nine minutes Williams adding a second after half an hour, Spencer reducing the lead five minutes later. The third goal was shot by Williams seventeen minutes after the interval. It was not a great game, the treachous turf handicapped the players, Caddick was a robust and sure back, but the half-back play was only moderate, Jeffs being the most effective. Parry and Williams were the outstanding forwards. The inside left was the most enterprising of the attackers, and Parry swung across many useful centres. Everton: - Salt goal, Caddick, and Weller backs, Jeffs Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Virr, Williams, and Harrison, forwards.

April 2, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Garston. Everton played much more polished football, and were easily the better side. Holford scored before the interval, while in the second half Green added two goals. The closing stages were marked by a tendency to roughness, and the referee sent a player from each off the field.

April 3, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
By F. M. N.
Despite the fact that they had four reserves forwards, Jack being the only regular front line player, the cup finalists, Bolton Wanderers played remarkably good football at Goodison Park yesterday, and thoroughly deserved the point they obtained. Owing to injuries and illness the Wanderers were forced to make three changes, but it is questionable whether the regular players would have done better. As a fact, there was more life in the line in this game than in the semi-final at Old Trafford. On the whole it was a most attractive encounter to watch though there was a tendency on the part of both sets of forwards to keep the ball too close, and the half-backs generally held away. Everton found the Wanderers in no mood to take matters easily, but they did not play at their best, and it was plain that Cock was a much-missed man. Fleetwood's kicking at full back, too, left a lot to be desired. The visitors scored first after 13 minutes, Jack swerving over the left and with a deft flick of the foot centred for Jones to score an easy goal.

Twenty-nine minutes had elapsed before Everton got on terms, Forbes scoring finely from Chedgzoy's centre. It was a ding-dong struggle from now up to the finish, and all things considered a draw was a fair reflex of the run of the play. The outstanding feature was the goalkeeping, both Pym and Fern making some clever saves, though the Everton man was lucky when he fell for Walsh's shot to hit him after Jack had cleverly engineered the opening. Pym was clean in everything he did, while Finney and Howarth were a fine pair of backs, Newnes, deputising for Seddon, was useful at centre-half, but Jennings and Nuttall were more effective. Jack was the leading light in the forward line, his subtle footcraft being a treat. Walsh was a hard worker, and the wingmen, Simpson and Jones also did well. I have already refereed to the cleverness of Fern in the Everton goal, but it cannot be said that the backs were at their best. The halves were good without being brilliant, and the forwards as a line, were not so effective as in the previous match against the Cup finalists. Troup was the outstanding figure. As Everton have gained 5 points out of a possible 6 during the holidays the club have every reason to be satisfied, and the players will no doubt welcome the respite until next Saturday. There were 35,000 spectators present. Teams: - Everton: - Fern goal, Fleetwood, and McDonald backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Pym, goal, Howarth, and Finney, backs, Nuttall, Newnes, and Jennings half-backs, Jones Jack, Walsh, Wright, and Simpson, forwards.

April 4, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Burnden Park, before 8,000 spectators Everton had much the better of the first half, but Bolton were the superior team after the interval, although without Hughes for the last forty minutes. The home forwards seldom beat the Everton defence in the first half, but the visitors missed several good chances. Both Miller and Williams should have turned Harrison's and Parry's fine work to account, but they failed to beat Hinton, who made excellent saves. Bolton improved after the interval, and soon scored, Readman converting a centre from Roberts. The same player made other good attempt to score. Everton came with a rush near the end, and Williams scored from a seemingly impossible position. Harrison and his partner did a lot of good work, Grenyer was the best half, and Caddick and Weller good backs. Salt had little to do. Everton got a point, but will have to play better to depose West Bromwich from the head of the table. Hinton kept a good goal for Bolton, and Chambers, Thirkill, and Matthews defended well. Everton:- Salt, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Jeffs Reid, and Grenyer half-backs, Parry, Miller, Virr, Williams, and Harrison, forwards.

Dundee Courier -Thursday 5 April 1923
How Secret Was Found Out (From a Special Correspondent.) Alec Troup, the ex-Dundee left-winger, now with Everton, was married in Liverpool yesterday to Forfar young lady. Accompanied by his handsome bride, Alec tripped along to motor. They were very pleasant, and thought that last the great day had come, and with it no publicity. At that moment the Courier” representative hied on them, and said, “Boy, hearty congregations" Alec might have been tripped up in the penalty area so surprised was he. "Man, how did ye get to know?'' asked. Well," said I, " I knew you were getting married to-day. I knew it was to morning time, and it was by speoial license. So I have been waiting the doorstep for hours." " Well,'' said Alec, " I don't mind now. We wanted to keep the whole affair a secret. Not soul knew about this little partnership, and neither the Directors nor players knew more than that I was indulging in a new partner this week —one for life." "Who the lady, may I ask?'' said to Troup, and he replied, " A Miss Kydd, of Forfar. Now she's Mrs Troup." Troup and his wife laughed heartily at their quiet marriage being found out, and they said they were off to Forfar for week to spend a holiday. Immensely popular. Troup wil] not miss any matches, and the Everton people are glad of this, for man so quickly fell into the popularity of the crowd than Alec, whose dandy runs and dribbles have captivated the Mersey crowd. It no exaggeration to say that Troup has put the " ton in Everton, and that not since the days of Tommy M'Dermott's dribbling runs has anyone in the city been so dominant in game. He is making Chadwick, a big raw boy, slow and deliberate into quick-thinking unstereotvpod player. The crowd Goodison Park has gone up steadily by thousands each week since Troup came show them a new style of football. The pity was that hid the marriage, being shy of publicity, for their would have been a big " gate at the do."

Forbes Plays Again.
Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 07 April 1923
Freddie Forbes, the ex-Heart of Midlothian forward, who bad been absent from the Everton attack since last September, deputised for the injured Jack Cock in the game with Burnley, and the goal which put paid to Burnley. Forbes is considered by many to be unfortunate to have lost his place with the Goodison club, for he was getting goals and showing promise when dropped out of the side.

Burnley Express - Saturday 07 April 1923
One of the outstanding figures as a player in Burnley football is Jack Hillman, who, though not a native of the town on the Brun, was rared from childhood near Old St. Peter's.  With the lads at the Top of the Town he was a familair object, and loved to engage with other boys in elementary football.  His forte was goal.  He was born near tavistock, a few miles from Plymouth, and came to Burnley with his parents when quite young.  By and bye he showed ability against his youthful companions, and eventually became associated with the bigger lads.  On Good Friday, 1890 on the failure of Manchester Welsh to keep an engagement the authorities at Turf Moor hied themselves to Fulledge Recreation Ground where a team styled "Young Pilgrims" were indulging in the Game.  They were induced to fill the gap at the Turf, and Hillman gave such a good account of himself that he was secured for the Reserves, for whom he kept goal against Peel Bank Rovers the following day, but, despite his deexterity in defence, he was on the losing side on both occasions.  However, Hillman appeared in goal for the remainder of th season and nearly all the following campaign.  In November, 1890 he had the misfortune to have his collar bone broken -in a game against Accrington Reserves, if my memory serves me correctly.  His first appearance between the sticks for the seniors was on January 10, 1891 against Linfield Athletic, whom Burnley beat 6-2.   On Kaye "blotching his copybook" in Scotland by playing in the close season, Hillman got his chance of promotion and seized it with both hands, so to speak, and for four seasons he was guardian of the keep for the preimier team in the League in which he accomplishlished many good performances.  He performed many deeds of "derring do" in defence of his chrage.  Some of his dives were darlingly done, and I think he invented the  “Saving by instalment" system.  At the end of the season 1895 he was transferred to Everton whence he migrated to Bonnie Dundee, and being "Borrowed" he returned to Burnley to assist the old club back to the First Division.  He re-eppeared at Luton on March 19, 1898, and at the end of the fight for promotion he returned to the marmalade capital, but not long, as he returned to his old love on October 22, 1898 and continued his allaganies to th Turf Moor club until January 25, 1902 when he was transfered to Manchester City, his last appearance in Burnley's colours being in the English Cup tie at Walsall.  Hillman was with the City when they carried off the English Cup defeating Bolton Wanderers in the Final in 1904, a souvenir of the occasion adnoring his shop window in Thurston-Street.  While with Burnley he earned International honours, playing against Ireland in 1899, and kept goal for the English League against the Scottish League at Glasgow in the same season.  After ceasing his connection with the City he played a few times for Millwall, but was badly damaged and was ill for a time.  On recovering he became associated with Burnley ones more, keeping goal for the Reserves in January 1909, occasionally assisting the seniors and eventually became trainer to the second string, a [psotion he now holds, and was honoured a year or two ago by being selected to act in that capacity for England against Ireland at Belfast.  He kept goal both for Dundee and Everton at Turf Moor and in 1915-16 appeared between the "sticks" in a practice game (on the death, suddenly of Langtree), and with the premier team against  Southport and Oldham, owing to an injury to Dawson.  In his early days he figured at inside-left to E.Hargreaves in a game against Burnley Tradesmen in February 1894, and scored two or three goals.  In his younger days Hillman was one of the most acrobatic of players, and some of his exploits would not have disgraced a prfessional circus performer.  He was also pretty fond of a practical joke and his colleagues in the recreation room at Turf Moor were kept alive.  He can tell a good story - he has an extensive storage -and besides being possessed of as fine a set of teeth as could be found in the proverbial day's match, he has a memory for dates etc., which is the envy of many people, and at times yours truely.  I would just like to add that Hillman in my opinion has been among the greatest defensive opponents of his time, and at periods stood out alone, and especially when the conditions were taken into account.   

BURNLEY 0 EVERTON 1 (Game 1053)
April 9, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
With three minutes to go Chedgzoy passed to Irvine, and the Irishman with a surprised shot from 30 yards' range scored a grand goal which gained for Everton two most acceptable points. Thus the Walton club has gained seven out of a possible eight points in just over a record which places the club in the front flight. Certainly the run of success has given their supporters hope of a much higher position being obtained than at one time seemed possible, and it is clear that the new blood introduced is gradually blending and transforming the team into a useful combination.

It was a strenuous rather than a brilliant exposition of the code at turf Moor and a draw perhaps would have been a fairer reflex of the play, but Burnley failed to take the chances the gods gave them. The forwards, particularly Lindsay, must shoulder the blame for they allowed openings to slip which the Everton front line men would have revelled in. On two occasions in the second half of the game, Lindsay was placed in possession, three of four yards from Fern, but each time he failed badly. Kelly was also a sinner in this respect, though his chance was not so easy as the two openings refereed to. In this connection I may mention that Forbes headed a centre from Chedgzoy over when he was almost underneath the bar; though it must be said in extenuation of the error that the Everton centre was running at full speed.

These was outstanding incidents in a game which enabled the backs on both sides to shine, the defensive tactics employed being very fine indeed. Rarely have I seen so many corner kicks, and there could be no great illustration of the barrenness of this once fruitful method of goal-scoring than that afforded in this game. Taylor and Smelt were a fine pair of backs, better than Raitt and McDonald, though the Everton pair played well against a lively set of forwards. Raitt and Weaver had many duels, and the Burnley man frequently came out on top. Everton halves were vigorous and clever, without being too confident in their constructive game. Morgan was the best of the Burnley middle line, this local youth creating an excellent impression. Burnley's forwards in the first half were the more skilful. Cross, Weaver, and Kelly being seen at their best at this period. Kelly is undoubtedly a splendid centre. The Everton attack was spasmodic, their best offers being reserved for the latter part of the game. Troup did not have a good day, Chedgzoy being the better wing forward. Irvine and Chadwick played hard, and Forbes was elusive and displayed no little skill, but lacked the weight to force home his advances. Fern distinguished himself, and the whole side played with dash and enthusiasm though I thought it was rather bad policy for the extreme wing forwards to act as full backs. Attack is always the best defence. Teams: - Burnley: - Moorwood, goal, Smelt, and Taylor, backs, Emerton, Basnett, and Morgan, half-backs, Fisher, Lindsay, Kelly, Croos, and Weaver, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee L. Baker.

April 9, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton, who cling tenaciously to the second position in the table, easily accounted for Port Vale at Goodison Park. The visitors gave quite a good display in the first half, but after the interval they were overwhelmed. Three minutes from the start Virr scored for the homesters, and five minutes from the interval Miller scored a second. A fine first time shot by Donoghie reduced the deficit, but Virr, with a header scored again for Everton. Later Miller and Parry further increased the lead. Harland, who re-appeared for the first time since his injury, had a few chances of showing his ability, for he was well covered by Caddick and Livingstone. The halves lent powerful support, while the forwards gave a great display, the wings play of Harrison and Parry being a feature of the match. For Port Vale, Twemlow was the outstanding man in defence, while Donoghue and Thompson were resourceful forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone, backs, Jeffs, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Virr, Williams, and Harrison, forwards.

April 16, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By F. M. N.
Everton continue to advance, their latest victory over the Villa sending the Goodison club up another peg, and with four matches still to play they should finish in a very strong position. On March 3 rd Everton lost to Oldham Athletic, but since then they have won five games and drawn two, the record proving the Walton team to be one of the most improved in the League this year.

Everton were without their regular right wing pair of Chedgzoy and Irvine, but Miller and Parry did quite well; indeed, Parry at times was quite as good as Chedgzoy at his best. It was mainly on account of his accurate placing that Everton secured two goals within the space of two minutes in the second half. In the first instance Cock, after a clever run, forced a corner, and Parry placing the flag kick beautifully Cock headed into the net. This happened after 55 minutes' play, and almost immediately afterwards Parry centred. Spiers turned the ball out to Troup, who made no mistake with a low shot. It was in the closing minutes that the Villa obtained their only goal, Capewell being the marksman. Cock led the Everton line with great skill, and he showed plenty of pace, but he was not to well supported by his inside men, though he could not complain of the assistance rendered by Troup and Parry who were the best forwards of the day. Parry is undoubtedly a most useful winger, Chadwick worked hard, as also did Miller, but they were not successful. The halves were grafters and the backs sound, while Fern made a couple of good saves.

The Villa had several men out of their usual position, and they took a long time to settle down. The backs, Smart and Mort, were a sound pair, who drew the displeasure of the crowd in the first half by playing their opponents offside. Moss and Ball were sound halves, but the forwards lacked finish. Kirton did not receive too many passes, but he was clever in possession. The line generally, however, was a long way behind the usual Villa standard. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs Parry, Miller, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Aston Villa: - Spicer, goal, Smart, and Mort, backs, Johnstone, Ball, and Moss half-backs, Kirton, Dickson, Capewell, J. Roxburgh, and Dorrell, forwards.

April 16, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Chedgzoy played for England against Scotland at Hampden Park, Glasgow, on Saturday, when Scotland carried off for the third time in succession the Internation championship, the game finish 2 goals each, in front of 75, 000 spectators. Also Robert Irvine played for Ireland against Wales at the Racecourse ground Wrexham. Irvine scoring two goals for Ireland in their three-nil victory. First goal, The Evertonians veering to the right, screwed in a low hard drive, which left Godding helpless. Goal two, which was the third for Ireland was a beautiful drive by Irvine. But it was fully thirty yards' range, and the Welsh keeper had a clear view of the effort for the full distance. Evidently his first impression was that the ball was going over the bar, for he was certainly slow in going for the shot.

April 16, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Although facing a weakened side Sheffield were very much superior to Everton at Bramell-Lane on Saturday. Everton introduced Jeffs for Forbes outside right, while as Bromage United regular left winger was doing duty with the senior side Hughes was brought in with a powerful sun behind them in the first half and took the lead after eight minutes, Ordacre heading through after a faulty clearance by Caddick, and before the interval the same player scored a second. Twelve minutes after restarting Brown securing a third goal following a brilliant run and centre by Lowe, and a quarter of an hour afterwards Hughes put on the fourth. Harrison was the best Everton forward, while Livingstone excelled as a defender. The United front line was in wonderful form throughout never giving Harland much respite. Everton: - Harland, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone, backs, Brown Reid and Grenyer, half-backs, Jeffs, Fleetwood, Virr, Williams, and Harrison, forwards, forwards.

April 17, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
The United had Plant and Milton back again, whilst all the Everton stars were on view. The first half produced very attractive football, but little finishing power, though Fern knocked McDonald out temporally in dealing with a strong shot from Tunstall who, after opening quietly did his usual excellent work. Thirty-five minutes had gone when Troup put the ball clean across the goal, Chedgzoy returning it perfectly for Irvine to place it well out of Gough's reach. A moment later Gough glorious saved a six-yards' drive by Cock. Everton led at the interval, though Sampy should have equalised just before. The second half opened with a spirited attack by the United, Fern displaying sound goalkeeping, Troup cleared his lines by a strong dribble, but Tunstall brought the ball back, centering perfectly, but Sampy again failed, being unable to control the ball. Delicious dribbling by McBain, Chedgzoy and Irvine carried the ball right into the United's zone where Pantling, attempting to clear, almost scored against his own side. Apart from Tunstall and Gillespie United's forwards were below form, whereas Everton's top of the ground footwork was extremely good. In a rousing finish Fern greatly distinguished himself against Waugh and Gillespie but Everton all through had shown the higher quality, notably in fine understanding between their half backs and forwards. Teams : - Sheffield United: - Gough, goal, Cook, and Milton, backs, Pantling, Waugh, and Plant, half-backs, Mercer, Sampey, Johnstone, Gillespie, and Tunstall, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee Noel Watson.

April 18, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There were about, 1,500 spectators at Darwen last night, when Everton played a Friendly game as part of the arrangement for the transfer of Williams the home team winning by 3 goals to 2. After about ten minutes Howarth centre for Pearson to score the only goal of the first half. Early in the second half, Parry made a good centre, which enabled Williams to equalise. One of the visitors backs handled, and from the penalty kick Howarth, scored Darwen's second goal. Holt with a fine shot registered the third goal, and Williams scored another goal for Everton. Everton had hard luck in not equalising in the last minute.

April 23 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Evertonians, after their recent return to form, were expected to give Aston Villa a very good run for money “at Villa Park” on Saturday. The position, however, was badly faltered for the visitors apart from occasions, their were soundly defeated by three goals to nil. All these were registered in the first period, and it is scarcely too much to say that another trio might well have been added in the second half. The ground was on the hard side, and with a stiffish breeze blowing the ball was distinctly lively. The home side succeeded in keeping it under much better control than their opponents, and their shooting was invariably more accurate in direction than that of Cock and his wings. Altogether it was a very disappointing display on the part of the Evertonians, though greatly to the taste of the 20,000 Birmingham people present.

From the outset the Midlanders showed their determination, for they set the pace in rousing fashion, and from the kick off Dickson ran clean through and tested Fern, who was not at all too sure in his clearance. This danger had scarcely been cleared when the Villa forward line came along again in the best methods, and Walker opened the scoring with a shot that travelled away from the Everton custodian. Had Fern come out to meet it, it is quite possible that he would have been able to clear. The visitors were aggressive for a time on the left where little Troup frequently electrified the crowd with his speed and strength in centring, but the Villa defence was quite sound, and after a time they gained a second point through Kirton, who, after the ball had been charged down, trapped it and netted. The visitors to their credit be it said, played up in the gamiest fashion, but they were again beaten before the interval arrived. Dorrell, getting nicely away, put the ball to walker and the latter making no mistake, the Midlanders were three up at the turn. In the second half Everton were still rather out of the running, though there were occasional flashes down both wings on the part of Chedgzoy and Troup. Chadwick too, tried his best to reduce the adverse margin, and Peacock once let drive all his strength. It was, however, not Everton's day out, and at the end of the ninety minutes they were a well-beaten side.

The Everton forward line, though occasionally clever was not consistent Cock failed to hold his wings together, and the centres of the outside men were frequently neglected. In spite of this, Troup was perhaps the cleverest forward on the field. The half-backs all did well, but the backs were very shaky in the first period. They improved considerably in the second forty-five, but this was too late to avert disaster. On the general run of the play Aston Villa proved themselves a distinctly clever and well-balanced side, possessing both speed and skill. Teams : - Aston Villa: - Spiers, goal, Mort, and Jones backs Blackwell, Ball, and Moss half-backs, Dorrell, Walker, Dickson, Kirton, and Stephenson, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee RW. Sharpe.

April 23, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. Everton who had Fleetwood at centre half, played with the advantage of a strong wind in the first half. Both teams played good football, and although Everton exerted most pressure, the United were the first to score through Beevor. The equalising goal came within five minutes from a free kick. Forbes scoring from twenty-five yards' range. A fine individual effort by Fleetwood was cleverly saved by Blakewell. Boyle placed the United in front through a misunderstanding between the home backs. With the wind in their favour, the United pressed most, but Blakewell was often employed and kept a good goal. A draw would have been a more fitting result . Everton: - Harland, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Forbes, Williams, and Harrison forwards.

April 23 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
New Brighton made certain of the championship by beating Everton “A” at Rake lane. The game produced good football but New Brighton were the superior team and but for a capable work of Lawson in the Everton goal the score would have been much heavier. Only one goal was scored in the first half, Bryson converting a penalty kick, which had to be taken twice. In the second half A. Leadbetter beat Lawson with a good shot. Everton's shooting was weak, though one shot struck the crossbar with Voas beaten. For the losers McGrae played a fine game.

April 24 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There was a good crowd at Goodison park last night to see Everton defeat Liverpool by 3 goals to nil in the semi-final of the Liverpool Senior Cup. Everton, the holders were the superior side throughout and gave the impression that they could have won whenever they liked. Their half backs were much too strong for the weak Liverpool forwards, who never looked capable of scoring although they hit the woodwork on more than one occasion. The Everton vanguard were speedy, clever in control, and Forbes's early goal was of the unstoppable type. Miller obtained the second goal, and Harrison's goal was the outcome of bad luck on the part of Lilley, and even if Wilkinson had essayed to advance to meet the winger it is very questionable whether he would have won the race for possession. The Everton halves, were the cause of the victory. They piled their fast moving forwards with the right passes, and Forbes was in one of the merriest moods. Parry has given glimpses of his fleetness, but even his own colleagues were surprised when he gave an opponent three yards start and overhauled him to make a fine centre. Harrison sent across centres after centre of the correct order, but Lucas and Lilley put up a bold front, and with Wilkinson kept the score down to three. Liverpool were slower on the ball, and the only forwards who showed promise of scoring were Lewis and Walsh. Wadsworth had a great chance after he had worked the ball fully the length of the field. Davies the Liverpool centre-half again gave a promising display, and Bamber was the best half. Everton now meet the winners of the Tranmere –New Brighton replay. Everton: - Harland, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Williams, Forbes, and Harrison forwards.

April 28, 1923. The Liverpool Football Echo
We understand that arrangements have practically been completed for the transferred of Reginald Freeman, the captain and left back of Oldham Athletic, to Everton. Freeman journeyed to Cardiff with the Oldham team but did not turnout, although representatives from Middlesbrough and Chelsea were present at Cardiff in order to watch Freeman play. It is understood that some mention as a basis of negotiation was £4,000, but this probably requires some adjustment between the clubs. Since joining the Athletic in January 1921, Freeman has missed only one match, and it is only a week or two ago, since he completed his hundredth League game for the Athletic. He was secured by the Oldham club from the Northern Nomads, and has long been recognised as one of the most polished backs in the First Division football. The situation this afternoon was placed before Freeman, and he expressed the preference to go to Everton rather than Chelsea or Middlesbrough as he would practically at home it is stated that if only remained for Everton to come to terms with the player concerned before the deal is ratified.

April 30 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton's last match at home was notable for the excellent goalkeeping. There were not many shots, but what there were warranted seriously to test the best of goalkeepers. Branston and Fern were equal to them, and their display will long be remembered. Everton won through a header by Cock, but Preston had three chances and Roberts, usually a sure shot, threw them away by poor finishing after being through the defence. The misses give Everton a chance of creating a record –that of scoring 48 points, or one better than their previous record. It was a good game, which did not bear the stamp of the end of the season. Preston started off at a rare rate, and although they kept it up to the finish Everton did most of the pressing. Troup opened in anything but convincing fashion, but came on his game in the second half to make Gilchrist and Hamilton look rather small. He beat them time after time, and when not sending superb passes into the middle he tried shots, and Branston must have wondered where the little fellow stored his shooting power. Near the interval Irvine made a desperate effort to put his side ahead. He deadened a pass from Cock and shot inside the fraction of a second, and although his shot pulled away from Branston, the custodian dived across his goal and edged the ball round the post –a truly remarkable save. Fern was not far removed from his confrere, for he had made a brilliant save from Woodhouse, who had driven in a stinging shot, and when Roberts, not having heard the whistle, went on and shot, Fern diverted a ball which seemed certain to beat him. Rawlings and Woodhouse, after a good start, faded away, while Mercer was not always capable of getting the better of Peacock. There was not a weak link in Everton's armour, but it must be said that McDonald showed more confidence than for some time. Chadwick was limping for the major part of the game, and if he was slow to size up matters at times, he was always a dangerous forward. Irvine is a greatly inmproved player and he is a classy and shrewd inside right. All the Everton halves were strong, and the way McBain checked the Preston forwards and found time to help his own put him down as one of the best centre halves in the country. With seven minutes to play Roberts had to leave the field through coming into collision with Mcbain. Rawlings was also absent for a few minutes, but the game was well won by Everton by that time. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Preston North End: - Branston, goal, Hamilton and Speak, backs, Gilchrist, Marshall, and Crawford half-backs, Rawling, Woodhouse, Roberts, Laird and Mercer, forwards. Referee HW. Andrews.

April 30, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
This match at Molineaux Grounds, Wolverhampton, which attracted about 4,000 spectators, ended in a goalless draw. The home team, if anything had the better of the game, and should have won. In the second half Everton were decidedly, fortunate. They owed much to Harland, their goalkeeper, who was conspicuous with good work.

April 30, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
At Anfield. The opening play was mostly in Liverpool's half, and Alford almost got through in the first few minutes, the Liverpool keeper bringing off a clever save. At the other end Liverpool tested the visitors' keeper, who dropped the ball twice before he could clear. Within two minutes Everton scored twice, both goals coming through Virr. Liverpool pressed prior to the interval, and gained three corners with out result. During the second half Liverpool forced the pace, but shot badly. Some ten minutes from time the end one of the Everton defenders put through his own goal. Then Young added Everton's third point with a fine drive, and just on time the Everton centre half worked the ball through on his own to finish by registered the fourth goal.






April 1923