Everton Independent Research Data



April 2, 1925. The Daily Post and Mercury


The Central League match between Liverpool and Everton Reserves at Anfield, yesterday, started in tame fashion, but later provided plenty of incident. Liverpool obtained the only goal four minutes from the finish, but it was against the run of the play, for Everton had most of the game, and Jones had to make several smart saves to keep his charge intact. When Liverpool were able to get within shooting range, their shots lacked the necessary sting to beat Kendall, and on one occasion Gilhesphy hooked the ball yards away from the goal when he should have scored easily. It was pleasing to see Wadsworth in his old position once again, and he was as virile as ever. The winning goal was the sequal to a foul on Gilheapy near the corner flag. Bromilow took the kick, and the ball sped across the goal to Malone, who sent it back, and Chambers scored. One feature of the game was the fine exhibition by Malone at outside right. He showed speed control, and untiring ability, and when he gets a chance in the senior side should make good. Scott, the ex-Darlington player found in Bain a stumbling block. Chambers worked with will and ideas, but got little support from Gilhespy. On the Everton side, Weaver came to hand late on, and then he gave Shears and Garner something to think about, and had he been supported by the inside men goals should have come. Weaver decided to have a go on his own, and Jones had to be very quick to stop at least two shots by the winger. All the full-backs were inclined to overkick their forwards. Teams : - Liverpool Reserves: - Jones, goal, Garner and Parry; Shears, Wadsworth, Bromilow; Malone, Brown Scott, Chambers, Gilhespy, forwards. Everton Reserves: - Kendall, goal, Raitt, and Kerr backs, Rooney, Bain, and Virr; Parry, Wall, Broad, Chadwick, and Weaver forwards.



April 3, 1925. The Daily Courier.


Everton's first team opposed St. Francis Xavier's College boys in an exhibition game at West Derby yesterday, where a large crowd witnessed an entertaining display of footwork. Everton scored four goals through Kennedy, Irvine, Dean and Chedgzoy. St Francis replying with two well-merited goals by Geogliegan and Callan. Everton were afterwards entertained at the College when Messrs Sawyer and Gibbons, directors of the Everton Club were presented with medals as honorary Old Boys of the college. Father Melling thanked Everton for the good work they were doing in playing against the boys. Mr. Gibbons and Mr. Sawyer responded. Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown McBain (captain), and Reid half-backs Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean Kennedy, and Troup.



April 4, 1925. The Daily Courier.


Everton's task at Huddersfield is not an enviable one. Both teams are in deadly earnest, the Blues to steer clear of the lower places in the chart, and the Town to emulate Liverpool by winning the championship for the second year in succession. It is in Everton's favour that they take a team with them inspired by a welcome win on Saturday last, and that they will meet the Yorkshiremen without Sam Wadsworth, who is supporting his county at Glasgow, but it would be something like a football earthquake were they to win. However, desperation may lead to a division of the points at issue, a result which would satisfy all Goodison supporters. It is good to note that Hunter Hart, the popular skipper, who has been out of the team so long owing to injury, reappears with the reserves today in their game at Goodison Park with Aston Villa.



April 4, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo.


By Victor Hall.

If the ground and stand arrangements are often admired at Everton today, a deal of credit should be paid to the memory of John Myles Crawshaw, a former director of the club, whose practical business mind, looking far ahead, designed and carried out many improvements that are only now being appreciated. Mr. Crawshaw being retired from business had an amount of leisure time that he freely and generously placed at the disposal of his fellow directors, and they being also good business men, promptly selected him chairman of the Grounds Committee, and left the control of the important work entirely in his hands. A keen and efficient business man himself with many years of skilled administrative work in his own industry in Liverpool, he addressed himself at once to the perfection of the draining of both the playing pitch and the surrounding stands. Under his keen supervision the admirable draining system –on the herring bone plan –of the playing field was carried out while in the turfing, he personally chose from the best available source, the firm well-knit side that were in after years to make the Everton playing turf one of the wonders of the League.


He too, designed and arranged much of the barrier system, that than came into forcer to break the dangerous “swaying” of a densely packed crowd, and the noble sweep of the “terracing” and much of the new “stand” improvements were also the result of his happy inspiration. Mr. Crawshaw being a shareholder, was first actively associated with the club as a “steward” one of those early ideals of the directorate to have a body of honorary officials available at all times for co-operation with the directors whenever occasions should demand experienced assistance working in an honorary capacity. The stewards were enthusiastic in their work and gave many recruits eventually to the Board of Directors, including Mr. Cuff, the late Mr. “Ben” Kelly and many others. Bit it was in the work of the Grounds Committee that Mr. Crawshaw found his wholehearted interest. During his many years of membership on the club directorate there as barely one weekday all the year round, barring his annual holiday, that he did not spend his forenoon on the ground superintending the ground staff or in consultation with the officials of the club. Dr. Baxter, most indefatigable of directors, on most days found an opportunity to snatch a few moments from his professional duties, and he and Mr. Crawshaw had thus opportunities of frequent exchange of ideas. In temperament and disposition Mr. Crawshaw was most happy and genial. Coming of real Lancashire stock he had carried with him into his retirement from business a host of personal friendships that were of valued service of the club in the enthusiasm he brought to bear on his favourite work of “looking after” the ground. During his tenure of office the turf of the playing patch was brought to the highest pitch of horticultural perfection. Seedsmen and specialists were given carte blanche in order to produce a surface well knit and compact in fibre, with sufficient “body” beneath to ensure annual crops of suitable grass growth, and it is to this unremitting care and attention of that grand old chairman that the present work of the Grounds Committee has provided such good results. It was during Mr. Crawshaw's term of office that the peculation came to light of some of the staff who had interfered with the mechanism of the turnstiles. These discoveries led to a complete overhaul of the “stiles” than remaining in use with the result that the whole series were scrapped and a complete new installation laid down, with modern mechanism fool and thief proof, that has since given the club every satisfaction. It was also during Mr. Crawshaw's term of office that experiments were made in playing football by artificial light at nighttime. A series of “Lucigen” lights were placed at regular intervals around the enclosure on the inside of the barriers, but of course outside the “touchline.” The ball was coated with a white coloured preparation in order to make it easily visible. While the experimental series of games proved interesting enough, the popularity of the feature was not pronounced with the public who often were the best judges. The games were rightly regarded as rather of the freak variety –and as the matches were or course “friendly” and had nothing at stake in the way of points, the public naturally hail nothing to stimulate their interest, beyond the spectators one, and being satisfied with few examples, the idea was eventually dropped. Other clubs about the same period gave similar trials, and with similar results. Apart from football, Mr. Crawshaw was an enthusiastic admirer of the game of bowls, and in the neighborhood of Walton Park where he resided, he was held in popular esteem in all matters relating to the sport. It was in football itself, though, and in the Everton Club in particular that all his interest rally lay, and never had the game a more ardent champion than in this type of the “fine old English gentleman.”


Many well recall with happy recollection, the smiling cheery face and plump Pickwickian figure of the favorite director. One might have set a clock by his punctual appearance at the ground each morning –and almost equally by his departure home for lunch. With the players themselves he was an immense favourite. To begin with he had their entire confidence and in return he gave every sympathy to their point of view. There are frequently occasions when a player will be communicative, provided that he can be assured of a sympathetic hearing whether his point of view be correct or otherwise. Some officials are foolish enough to adopt the wrong attitude on those occasions when a player desires to unburden himself. They airily dismiss the matter, or advise “writing to the secretary about it” –with the result, that particular grievance never sees the light. Not so the wise director and certainly not so with “old J.M.” he gave every encouragement to all alike, he had no favorites, with the result that during all his career at Everton, relations between players and directorate were cordial and expressive. Perhaps not always brotherly love, but at least mutual respect and frank expression of anything to be said on either side. “Full and frank to all things” might equally be said in recollection of a real good, sincere sportsman in John Myles Crawshaw of happy memory.



April 6, 1925. The Daily Courier.



By S.H.H.

The game at Huddersfield, where Everton provided the opposition, was not of an exhilarating character. The play was certainly fast and each goal visited in turn, but there were few thrills for the 14,500 spectators. This was attributable to the blustery wind, which caught the light ball and repeatedly carried it into touch. McBain failed to name the coin, and his side was set to face the wind, and with this went Everton's hopes of success for Huddersfield got two goals whereas the Blues failed to find the net when the conditions favoured them.


The first goal came shortly after a quarter of an hour's play during which Everton had done well. They had been pressing on the left, when Goodall made a lusty clearance that was carried on by Brown, who, seeing the defence well spread, crossed the ball for Wilson, the centre, to score a rather soft goal. The second goal was the result of a penalty, as in attempting to stop Smith, McDonald tripping the winger, and from the resulting penalty kick , C. Wilson scored. Holding the lead, Huddersfield gave the defenders a strenuous time of it, and under the circumstances it was not surprising to find the backs somewhat erratic. McDonald on one occasion let in the left wing, but when Stephenson hooked the ball into the goal, O'Donnell effected a fine clearance with his head, though it was several seconds before the danger was cleared. The second half was just as much in favour of Everton as the first period had been against them. Time and again they got within reach of Mercer, only to find drives by Irvine, McBain, and Kennedy come back off a defender. Irvine's ill-luck was extraordinary, and it did not desert him even when he had a clear run through, for as Mercer left his goal Bobby shot straight at him.


The misfortunes, moreover were added to when Reid, O'Donnell and Irvine in turn met with accidents, thus imparing the efficiency of the side. In the circumstances Everton did well to limit the scoring to two goals, for the Town had more opportunities of scoring after this. The game, as I have indicated, was not a great one; but this much can be said for the losers –they placed as well as the champions, and were not two goals inferior so far as skill was concerned. Dean did well in the first half and placed the ball nicely for the wingmen, but after the interval he was not so prominent. Chedgzoy and Irvine made a better wing than did Troup and Kennedy, who were repeatedly beaten by the high ball. At the same time, when conditions favoured them in the second half the left wing caused Steele and Goodall many anxious moments. Of the halves I liked MuBain the best, though in fairness to Reid it should be said his injury troubled him. Both backs did well, while Harland kept a good goal. Shaw proved a worthy deputy for Wadsworth, who was assisting his country at Hampton Park, and was little behind Goodall in effectiveness. Huddersfield's strength however, lay in the forwards, who were always going for goal and never missed the opportunity of using their weight. Teams: - Huddesfield Town: -Mercer, goal, Goodall and Shaw, backs, Steele, Wilson, and Watson half-backs, Williams, Brown, C. Wilson, Stephenson, and Smith, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown McBain (captain), and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Referee GD. Nunnerlay.



April 6 1925. The Daily Courier.


After two consecutive defeats, which jeopardised their championship prospects, Everton returned to winning form on Saturday. The win was well deserved, but most credit was due to the great defence set up by Raitt and Kerr, the latter playing a particularly fine game. Bain at Centre-half was a tower of strength, while Parry and Broad, of the forwards did well. The opening goal was scored by Wall, who headed through from a centre by Parry. Kirton by skilful footwork, got right through and drove against the bar. This was the only occasion the Villa looked like scoring, as afterwards Everton took command of the game, and Broad scored twice with fine shots. Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt, and Kerr, backs, Virr Bain, and Hart, half-backs Parry, Wall, Broad, Chadwick, and Weaver, forwards.



April 10, 1925. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury

Everton to give trials for the Reserves against Bradford City Reserves to Rand, a inside-right and Ashworth at outside-left.



April 11 1925. The Daily Courier.



By S.H.H.

Whatever hopes Preston North End had of escaping relegation, and they could only be of the slenderest, were shattered yesterday when Everton divided the goals and points at Deepdale. As a spectacle the game was disappointing for neither sets of forwards lived up to their reputation. There. Was some excuse for Everton, as after six minutes O'Donnell received a cut under the eye in addition to which some grit entered the eye. The full back was off for several minutes, but when he returned it was evident he was in pair and after half an hour he retired only to return five minutes before the interval. During this period Prout had kept out a header from Dean while Harland had gathered up a shot from Barnes, but apart from these incidents, there was little in the general movements of either side that indicated goals, indeed neither side had found the net up to the interval.


When the second half was started O'Donnell found the lint under his eye was interfering with his sight of the ball and after three minutes the Everton captain changed the side's formation, O'Donnell going outside-right with Chedgzoy inside, Irvine centre Dean inside left, while Kennedy dropped back to left half, Reid partnering McDonald. The changes, drastic though they were brought Everton the first goal. Play had been in progress six minutes, when Irvine worked an opening for Dean, who finding his way barred, turned the ball to the left for Troup to lob it over the heads of the Preston defence and on to the unmarked O'Donnell. Passenger though he was, the ex-Darlington lad could not let go abegging a chance like this, and trapping the ball, he steered it past Prout to the delight of the rest of the Everton players. However, with 28 minutes of the resumption Preston got on level terms, though there was an element of luck about the point, for Troup, in attempting a clearance from a corner, placed the ball to the feet of Williamson, whose shot Harland pulled down from under the bar only to find Henderson dash in and equalise.


After this both teams strove hard, and O'Donnell all but repeated his first goal, the ball curing past the post with the goalkeeper well beaten; while Dean, with the finest shot of the match, caused Prout to turn the ball over the bar. Considering the changes necessitated by the injury to O'Donnell, Everton have every reason to be proud of their performance. They were more convincing than the home lot especially at half-back, where McBain and Brown did splendidly. Reid did well in the intermediate line and also at back, when he had the cool-headed McDonald to watch over him. McDonald touched his best form of the season, and it was largely owing to him that Harrison and Barnes were rendered impotent. At the same time Preston, as a side, are no better than their record indicates. Teams: - Preston North End: - Prout, goal, Hamilton, and Phizackles, backs, Woodward, Forrest, and Williams, half-backs, Aitkens, Woodhouse, Henderson, Barnes, and G. Harrison, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald and O'Donnell backs, Brown, McBain (captain) and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Referee J. Baker.



April 11, 1925. The Daily Courier.


Everton were far too clever for Bradford, but the game was always a fast and interesting. Play had been in progress about eight minutes when a combined movement between Rand and Parry culminated in the latter centering perfectly for Broad to open the score. Both sides in turn had shots, at goal, but Chadwick missed a golden opportunity by shooting over the bar. The inside left however, retrieved himself with a glorious drive, which the Bradford keeper saved in remarkably clever style. Just on the interval loose play by the Everton defenders enabled Hillian to equalise. The Blues quickly asserted themselves after the interval, Broad completed a “Hat-trick” by scoring further goals. Everton had a fine defence and good halves, Virr giving a particularly fine display. Ashworth and Rand played well in the forward line, and Broad was always ready for a shot at goal, but Parry was the star in the department. Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt and Kerr backs Virr, Bain and Hart, half-backs, Parry Rand, Broad Chadwick and Ashworth forwards.



April 11, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo.


By Victor Hall.

Anyone who ever saw the late John Prescott one of the early directors at Goodison Park, was irresistibly reminded if the famous cricket champion, D. W.G. Grace. The likeness was starting. The same bulk of frame set massively on a well-proportioned figure, the same well set head with heavy flowing beard, the same kindly eyes and above all, the same genial broad smile, and the happy word and the glad hand for all true followers of sport. Such to the life was characteristic in build and heartiness of dear, loveable John Prescott. May the soil lie easily on the grand kindly heart. Probably no man in athletic circles in Liverpool was more widely known and more genuinely esteemed.


His jovial, genial presence was the hallmark of goodwill at every assembly, and it could most truly be said of him that in all his public career, both sporting and professional –he was an accountant by proprofession –he had not an enemy in the world. It was a common thing in those early Everton days at Goodison Park to find visitors or travellers to Liverpool breaking their journey especially to renew former friendship with “Jack” Prescott and at times when racing at Aintree, or coursing at waterloo, brought long-distance visitors, the board-room and the verandas of the old directors wooden hut at Goodison Park was more like a reception-room at tatterralls, or the lounge of the Grand Hotel, at Newmarket. Such was the esteem in which was held the might “Jack.” The association of Mr. Prescott with the Everton club had not commenced, however, with their move to Goodison Park. Like Mr. Tom Keats, the late respected Jack Atkinson and others of the old brigade, his early association with the club had been in the pioneer's days when they played on the pitch at Stanley Park, before crossing to Priory-road. Then he had taken part in the testing days at Anfield-road, when the young club finding its feet, had begun to collect a few pence weekly in “gate money,” and reached in one glorious season a cup-tie shareout (with Bootle for opponents) of £19 11s 6d, sighed for other worlds to conquer and straightaway engaged their first professionals and brought a Scottish player –Alec Dick –south from Kilnarnock, to be a full back for the “rising” young club. Those were spacious days at Anfield-road, and the treasurer of those days, but late Will Jackson, had visions of the future when, perhaps the club would draw a regular weekly “gate” of £20. This Mr. Jackson will be remembered by many a grey-beard of today as the very expert chief at Maedesley's bill of lading counter in Castle-street, who could hand out intricate bills and stamps with correct calculation that would make a modern cash register blush. Those were the days when the directors or committeemen of Everton were football enthusiasts in the winter months, and cricketers –playing cricketers –not spectators –in the summer months. It is of those wonderful enthusiasts that the “old ‘Un” –if I do not betray a confidence –has so enchantingly reminded us in other columns. They were all Stanley cricketers and Everton footballers in those days, and the late F.T. Parry whose name was so popular in sporting circles could spin many a yarn of the records made and broken –in the old pavilion of the Stanley Club at Stanley Park. From this stock, then, come Jack Prescott to be a director of the Everton Limited Company and his new colleagues on the board found in him an ideal spirit, keen and critical where the game was concerned and combined with that a shrewd, penetrating business mind quick to appraise the difficulties of a new club struggling to bear financial burdens, and anxious to earn and deserve the goodwill of the sport-loving public of the city. The accession then, of John Prescott to the directorship was a tower of Strength to the club and to his colleagues. His good name and his known repute for square and straight dealing brought at once a powerful influence for good on to the side of the new club, and the financial stability of the new concern was strengthened at a most valuable time. It must be clearly understood that each of the other directors of Everton was equally –many more so –pledged financially and in prestige to the support of the club, otherwise the huge undertaking at Goodsion Park could never have been carried to its happy issue. Those were the days when to be a football director meant something more responsible than travelling with the team, or attending a board meeting once a week. If often meant going to a bank manager and pledging one's own personal property in security for such advances as the club might have occasion for, and when one realises the claims of family and business finance, it can better be appreciated how those pioneer directors backed their faith and stood by the principles. In the equipping of the playing pitch at Goodison Park, and the arrangement of the first grand stand built there, Mr. Prescott took a prominent part.


His early cricket experience had given him a knowledge and appreciation of the value of a well-knit turf, and the selection of the sods that were chosen for the first playing pitch was a matter for long discussion. At one time it had been decided to bring the turf from Aintree Racecourse, and again a suggestion was seriously considered of importing approved lengths from an even greater distance, but the skilled advice of the contractor and the personal experience of Mr. Precott prevailed in the final selection, with the result that the existing turf at Everton has been one of the finest successes of any Lancashire club. Mr. Prescott association as director of the Everton club was all too short, and his death, at a comparatively early middle age, was one of the first tragedies of the young club at Goodison Park, as regards its directorate at any rate. About that period it had another heavy blow in the loss of a director well esteemed. But of “Jack” Prescott old Evertonians hold happy memories. What would life be without such memories?



April 13, 1925. The Daily Courier.



By F. McN.

With four games still to play, Everton should gain at least six points, for three matches are at Goodison Park. Whatever fears may have been entertained at one time, the Goodison club are now clear of the danger zone, although their play has not reached the required standard.


It was a poor game at Goodison Park between Everton and Blackburn Rovers, there being many dull periods, and the 30000 spectators must have sighed for a real marksman. Everton had sufficient chances to win the game over and over, but the forwards fizzled out the openings in most tantalising fashion, and, as it happened, it was only be the aid of a penalty goal that Everton gained the valuable points. Irvine was going though in the second half when he was fouled by Wylie, and Kennedy made no mistake from the penalty kick , the ball being driven into the net with great power. That Dean is not yet ripe for First League football suggested by the fact that he failed to take advantage of two first-class chances, the ball being placed to him in excellent positions, but the ex-Tranmere player failed to rise to the occasion. Dean could not complain of lack of opportunity in this match. Seductive forward passes down the middle were frequently sent along in which many forwards would have revelled. Perhaps Dean has not yet become acclimated to the Park. The forwards generally did not finish off their work, Dean being alone in his futile efforts to score. The whole line seemed to fall completely the goal area was reached. The halves played well, McBain completely subduing Puddefoot, who however, obtained little assistance from his forward colleagues. Reid and Brown held a tight grip on the opposing wings, and McDonald and O'Donnell had a good day. Harland accomplished what little he had to do with skill. Sewell on occasion made good saves, and he showed that he is by no means a spent force.


Roxburgh and Wylie were a strong pair of backs, Wylie being the better of the two while Healless was the most prominent of the halves. The forwards started well, but failed to maintain their combined efforts. McKay demonstrated his skill as a dribbler at times, and Crisp occasionally flashed out, but tapered off. The game started in a fashion, which suggested a good display, but the deterioration as play proceeded was most marked. Everton meet Preston North End at Goodison Park today, and the three-remaining fixtures are against West Ham away and Sheffield United and Leeds United at Goodison Park. Teams : - Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain (captain), and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Sewell, goal, Roxburgh, and Wylie, backs, McKinnell, Healless, and Boscamp, half-backs, Hulme, McCleary, Puddefoot, McKay, and Crisp, forwards.



April 13 1925. The Daily Courier.


Everton were a trifle lucky to defeat the Wanderers at Molneux Ground, for there was a suspicious of offside about the only goal of the match, which broad scored 10 minutes from time. He was closely shadowed, but took advantage of a little latitude to snap up Hargreaves pass and draw Hampton out of goal before netting. The Wanderers had the greater share of the play, but repeatedly lost chances by their woeful finishing. Both defences were particularly efficient.



April 13, 1925. The Daily Courier.


There was not a great deal between the teams and after an interesting first half the game was very scrappy after the interval. Parker scored for the visitors, taking full advantage of a mistake by the Skelmersdale defence. Several fine attempts to equaliser were made by the Skelersdale forwards, but it required a penalty kick taken by Birks to do the trick. This Jones made a great effort to save, but the speed of the ball put his finger out. Jones played a great game throughout, and the Everton forwards were more balanced than those of Skelmersdale.



April 14, 1925. The Daily Courier.



By S.H.H.

Everton and Preston put up one of the poorest displays of football seen at Goodison Park this season. The game was the return fixture between the clubs, that on Good Friday also ending in a division of the spoils, each side scoring a goal. Yesterday's display was on a par with that at Deepdale, neither side showing the least idea of how to get goals. Preston were the greater sinners, especially in the second half, when Henderson Sapsford, and Woodhouse, failed to net with only Harland to beat. Credit is due to the goalkeeper in stopping the ball on each occasion, but the Preston players were so placed that the Everton man should never have been given the opportunity of saving. Everton's attempts at goalgetting were little better than their opponents, though Dean was unlucky in the first half when he hit the bar. While Kennedy brought Prout full length with a cross drive. Apart from these two incidents, the Preston defence never looked like being beaten. Towards the close Irvine went centre, but the only suggestion that could be offered for his doing so was that he and Chedgzoy were both limping, and that by Dean taking up the inside right position, it saved the wing from being altogether useless. That id did; but beyond that, nothing more for the line as such had little cohesion and less shooting ability. As to the players, little need be said, Troup, Reid, McDonald, and Harland, were the pick of the Everton side, while Preston were best represented by Forrest, Sapsford, Harrison, and Aitkens. Teams : - Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain (captain), and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards. Preston North End: - Prout, goal, Hamilton, and Phizackles, Woodward, and Forrest half-backs, Aitken, Woodhouse, Henderson, Sapsford, and G. Harrison, forwards. Referee L. Baker.



April 14 1925. The Daily Courier.


Before a good attendance. A splendid goal by Rand gave Everton the lead after ten minutes' play. Logan equalising for Bradford, and Rand gave Everton the lead shortly after half-time. Everton's victory was well earned their forwards playing a great game.



April 15, 1925. The Daily Courier.

Everton journey to Town on Friday in readiness for their game with West Ham United at Upon Park. This concludes the Blues' away fixtures, and they are hoping to wind up with a win. Unfortunately Chedgzoy and Irvine are on the injured list. The directors have decided to play Parry and Chadwick on the right wing, otherwise the side is the same as secured four out of a possible six points in the last three games. The Goodison Park brigade, however, have a still task before them, for though the Hammers had none the best of luck in the holiday games, they yesterday had ample revenge on the cup finalists Sheffield United. Everton's team reads: - Harland, McDonald, O'Donnell; Brown, McBain, Reid; Parry, Chadwick, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup. The Reserves are at home to Manchester City, and the result of this game will have an important bearing on the Central League championship. Everton despite calls on the side, will field a strong eleven namely: - Kendall, Raitt, Kerr; Virr, Bain, Hart; Millington, Rand, Broad, Wall, and Weaver. The team to meet New Brighton in the Liverpool Cup, on Monday will be the same as that against Manchester City, with the exception that Parry replaces Millington.



April 18, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo.


By Victor Hall.

The death a few years ago, of Mr. John Davies' removed one of the traditional veterans of the Everton Club. There are happily still living other equally honoured names of the old and tried bridage, who went out in the noontide of their youth to found the new Everton Club, but in these random recollections we are paying a tribute of fragrant respect to those no longer amongst us. The later day's at Anfield, and the earlier days at Goodison Park were an anxious period for those gentlemen who had set their plough of progress and had literally “sought fresh fields.” The way was not easy, there were many difficulties to be overcome, and at times there were periods of anxiety. But there was one common bond among the directors of the new Limited Company into which the Everton Club had been formed that from the first augured success.


The bond was perfect confidence and trust in each other's sympathy, and hard work. And in a marked degree it will be found, if the names of those first directors are recalled, how well and worthily they answered the call of responsibility. Among them no man worked harder for the success of the new club John Davies, and no name was held in greater respect and confidence than his by fellow directors and shareholders alike. In his personal disposition he was inclined to be shy and retiring from the public eye. Few people had the same sensitive shrinking that he always showed from everything that savoured of publicity or showmanship. In a room full of football officials he might easily be mistaken for a stronger, to whom the game and its strong partisan appeal was utterly distasteful. Although holding strong views on men and methods, in so far as they affected the game he loved so much at heart, he was slow to join in praise or criticism. Yet on appeal he would be found to be a most exacting critic, and he spoke with knowledge and authority on any subject he had made his own. In football his opinion was often sought from distant centres, because it was realised as much in outside circles as at home how keen was his judgement and how sincere his sympathies to every true interest of sport. Of his many years service to the game itself and to the Everton Club much might be written and, indeed, no tribute to his sterling worth would or could be excessive. Truly, apart from his commercial actively in Liverpool business circles the best years of his life were ungrudging given in the development of football in Liverpool. No trouble was too much for him, no labour too heavy and let it be mentioned in his memory that the major work of Mr. Davies's career as an Everton director was in the fostering and development of “local talent.” He had no love for long railway journeys or distant expeditions even in the cause of signing on new players. His business duties in Liverpool and the responsibilities attaching to them did not permit him to undertake the distant trial. But it was a common thing for him to spend every night of the week, when light permitted, in going to outlying grounds around Liverpool and Wirral to watch the play of promising recruits. Indeed, on one occasion he gave way on a point of strong Sabbath principle in order to watch the play of a Gaelic League player of promise at a hurling game near Greenwich Park Aintree. The visiting hurling team were said to process a prodigy among their ranks who, while players in Ireland and winning international honours there, was said by the knowing ones, to be the making of a “grand” full back at the Association game, which he had also played, and at which he rather “fancied his chance” As these hurling matches were only played at Aintree on a Sunday it meant breaking into Sunday “rest” to see the game, but, as no other directors was available. John Davies undertook the task. He held strong views on Sunday views on Sunday observances, and that “duty” slight as it may appear to some people, was not the least of the many sacrifices he made for Everton. The game was played in an open field, by the way. There were no “stands” or “seats” –there was water and mud every where; a blizzard or rain and sleet never ceased during the game, and the players were half an hour late in starting, but John Davies watched the game to its close, and brought his report of the players back to his club. A speeches or banquets you would easily overlook or miss entirely John Davies. Generally he fought shy of appearing at them at all, but if the necessity of the occasion demanded his presence then, from a sense of duty alone, he would be three. But he was the silent director always. He beamed on all, enjoyed every song, possibly he may at times have joined inwardly in the chorus, but speech –never! His character had all the gentle ruggedness with which some noble natures are endowed, although masked by an outward appearance of dour austerity. Certainly at heart he was of most tender sympathy and in his eyes was ever lurking the whimsical humour that sees goodness in everything and harm in none.


One by one those old figureheads of Everton and Liverpool clubs are passing, but the memory they leave is fragrant, and the work they did for football in Liverpool was well done, as results have amply shown. Both Liverpool and Everton are still happy in the possession of some of their “Old Timers.” Some of the great pioneers of both clubs have found in commerce and the arts their time and leisure no longer as free as in their youth. Some like the president of the League. Mr. John McKenna, still remain in active association with the game to which they are themselves an inspiration in their public lives; but many of them, like Director John Davies, of Everton, linger with us a happy memory, and some day, no doubt, the directors of both clubs will adorn their boardrooms with portraits of former committee men who laboured in the cause of Sport. When that date arrives there is no question that fitting honours will be paid to some, if not all.



April 20 1925. The Daily Courier.



By S.H.H.

From an Everton point of view the game with West Ham was an unsatisfactory one. Most teams with a snap goal after eight minutes play would have set about consolidating their position but Everton, though favoured in this respect, fell into an uncertain mood, McDonald and his partner mistiming their volleys in a manner that surprised all. Possibly the methods of the men in front of them were the cause of this, as Earle, Moore, and Ruffell were allowed too much latitude, and, though the bar and post came to the rescue on two occasions Everton failed to take the lesson to heart.


First Moore levelled the scores with a shot that passed to the left of Harland, and against which McDonald protested on the ground that the West Ham player had fouled him. Worse, however, was to follow, for play had no sooner restarted than Watson burst through and with McBain late in his tackle, the centre-forward worked the ball to within a yard of the goalkeeper before driving it home. Even then Harland all but prevented it from going into the net. This was the state of the game, at the interval, and it did not in any way flatter the home team, as having got over the setback of an early goal they had served up sparkling football mainly through the agency of the left wing pair, Moore and Ruffell. In the second half Everton gave promise of contesting the issue, and had a brilliant cross drive from Troup which brought Hufton full length but got home, it is possible the visitors would not have been beaten. But having survived, West Ham proceeded to take the game in hand, and Earle settled the issue with a fine individual effort in which he beat three opponents before netting. This further success seemed to mesmerise the Everton halves, and when the ball came Earle's way again no one challenged the inside-right, with the result he just manceurvred for position before driving home a shot that had Harland beaten all the way. This last straw broke the camel's back as it were, and though Everton rallied somewhat the finishing work of the side was so poor that Hufton and his backs were not unduly troubled.


Dean got Everton's goal in the first half hour, when a long drive from Chadwick bounced out of Hufton's hands to the oncoming centre, but apart from this the centre missed at least two good chances through hesitancy. Kennedy, who by the way, was the pick of the forward line, was brought down by Horler when the little chap had reached the fringe of the penalty area. It was a bad foul, and Mr. Hopkinson lectured the West Ham back, but that was little used to the Blues for the move had prevented them from getting a goal. Chadwick did many good things, he weight being an asset to the forward line, but Parry was not so successful, and it was mainly the left wing on which Everton had to rely. The halves and backs were litful, and three of the four goals against them would never have been possible had they played anything like their usual game. For the winners Moore and Ruffell showed clever footwork and intelligent anticipation of each others moves, but much of their work was spoiled by Watson whose shooting was weak. Earle was better than Yews on the other wing' while Eastman was the pick of the halves, Henderson made a better back than Hurley. Teams : - West Ham United: - Hufton, goal, Henderson, and Hurley, backs, Bishop, Eastman, and Cadwell, half-backs Yews, Earle, T. Watson, Moore and Ruffle, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs Brown, McBain (captain), and Ried half-backs, Parry, Chadwick, Dean, Kennedy and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. H. Hopkinson.



April 20, 1925. The Daily Courier.


Everton again an annexed both points, and are fighting hard with Huddersfield for League honours. Manchester were no match for the Blues, their forward work being extremely weak, and they never looked like scoring. A feature of the game was the great display of Bain, who gave his forwards many opportunities. Broad was as Usual, a dashing centre forward and scored two goals, the other point being obtained by Weaver with an oblique drive. Rand a new player was also successful. Everton: - Kendall, goal, Raitt and Kerr, backs, Virr, Bain, and Hart, half-backs, Millington, Rand, Broad, Wall, and Weaver, forwards.



April 21 1925. The Daily Courier.


Local enthusiasts were afforded an exceptional opportunity of making comparisons between Central League and Third Division football at Goodison Park yesterday. The game was an end if the season affair, and it was not until the closing stages that the 5,000 odd spectators saw any rally thrilling football. New Brighton's early attacks were rich in promise, but the defence of Raitt and Kerr was a hard acted to be overcome. The respective inside lefts Matthews and Wall were too prone to defensive work, and the forward lines suffered in consequence. The visitors were generally the more convincing in attack though not impressive at close quarters. Apart from excellent shots from Max, Reid, Wilcox and Wall, there was really little to excite over in the first half, and it was not until after 35 minute's play that Broad wormed his way through to beat Mehaffy by a fast rising shot. The second half was spoiled by the off side bogey. Niven and Jones defeating the home forwards time after time. With the exception of Rand and the Everton team have had First League experience, and their display was only moderate. On the other hand, had New Brighton opened the score it might have infused a little more ginger into the game. Receipts £150. After the game Mr. Cartwright won the toss for choice of ground, and the final with Liverpool will take place at Anfield, probably on Wednesday, May 6. Everton: - Kendall, goal Raitt, and Kerr, backs, Virr, Bain, and Hart, half-backs, Parry, Rand, Broad, Wall, and Weaver forwards.


April 25, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo

Victor Hall Pays Tribute to Alderman John Houdling, “Father” of Liverpool F.C.

There are still many men living who will cherish, while memory endures the name of John Houlding, one-time Lord Mayor of Liverpool, and the creator of the Liverpool Football Club. Indeed, the Everton club, with all its proud record, owes more than allegiance to the grand old man who so truly reflected the aims and aspirations of Everton people. It is a long cry back now to the days when the Everton club, playing in Prior-road, invoked the powerful aid of John Houlding, the shrewd, far-seeing business man, who living himself in Anfield road, had watched the progress the new game of “football” was making among the young men of his own neighbourhood, and which even the Sunday school “scholars” were forming themselves into “clubs” to play on weekday evenings and Saturday afternoons. On fine Saturdays, after lunch, when the cares of his growing brewery trade were over for the week; he would often stroll across to watch the growing enthusiasm of both players and spectators, and no doubt be mentally visional the growing expanse of Everton outwards towards the green meadows of Anfield and Walton tiles where Skriving's nursing was then situate. With all his wise insight and sagacious outlook through, it is hardly likely that he saw, within the lifetime of his son, that the miniature sport he then leisurely enjoyed would reach its present day dimensions, when 50,000 people betake themselves with pleasurable interest to watch the game he was even then helping to foster ad build. Some development must, however, have been well within his purview, for his early began to plan how he could best help those young players when they came to him for the ever-ready subscription, and invited him to become their president. From his first association with the game John Houlding had great pride in his “young men,” as he called them, both players and committee. Committeemen in those days, were mostly players, and when they grew up too much to play longer, they remained committemen of “members” and paid their “subs.” There were at first no “gates” of course, so the subscriptions and donations helped out by an occasional concert or smoker, were the sole source of income. Mr. Houlding had one remarkable gift that is denied to many public men, but which he held in generous measure, and that was the grit of attracting to himself the personal affection of his younger followers. It may have been a form of personal magnetism, or a psychological grit that some men hold by unknown charm, but the remarkable fact is that it did exist, and that in a very remarkable manner in the genial personally of old “King John.” Although himself a strong party politician Tory or the Toriest and with an utter detestation of everything savoring of Liberalism or Radicalism, he, strangely enough had among his warmest football supporters keen young Liberals and sturdy teetotal Nonconformists, who held equally as strong as he did political and social views entirely opposed to Mr. Houlding's political views and trading interests. Yet both he and they held and kept their views in sturdy independence of each other, and on the common ground of football and the Everton Football Club, the great Tory dictator of Everton and the young Liberal, Tory, and Radical clubmen met together weekly in warm and earnest mutual endeavour. How splendid!

But, alas! That state of things did not continue to the end or we should not today have both Everton and Liverpool club, and as Kipling rather wittily put it –“ That is another story.” But those were great days in the growing enthusiasm of the new game, local residents were drawn into the enthusiasm of the players every Sunday school had its own football club, and every district rivaled each other with a fine spirit of emulation. Everton fought Bootle with all the keenness of an international battle, and rivalries sprang up, as one club tried to coax away the better players from their neighbours.

“Rounders” that had for so many years been the great game in the parks, began to suffer an eclipse from the new interest, and indeed, cricket itself began to lose it hold on all except the keenest, by reason of the longer season and encroaching influence of the winter game. All these tendencies were carefully noted by the football committee, and it was felt that once a private ground, could be secured, where an entrance fee of even 1d or 2d could be collected, there was “no limit” to what could be done. But again the wise counsel of the club president was sought, and he was with the new idea heart and soul. He, too, felt that there was a future for the game, and offered the use of the land he had already purchased in Anfield Road at a very modest, indeed nominal rental. That is the ground on which today the Liverpool Football Club play. And so is history made.

How wisely Alderman Houlding was judge of character may be realized when one reflects on the names of some of those young men with whom he linked his football faith. One easily recalls a few of the personalities of those days who afterwards became famous in other walks of life.

R.H. Webster, late Registrar of Kirkdale, R.E. Bailey the well-known poor-law official; W.E. Barclay, first hon. secretary of the Liverpool Club; the late Jim Ramsey and Alex Nisbett; Mr. Tom Howarth (the famous “York City,” and formerly “premier” of the Liverpool Parliamentary Debuting Society), and finally Mr. McKenna, the most popular president the Football league has ever had. What a sterling judge of character and efficiency even these few names indicate in the choice of his “lieutenants” by that grand old man of Everton!

When John Houlding died he left behind him a memory that will endure while ever the name of Everton exists, and in the hearts of the faithful friends he left an emptiness that will never be replaced. With him died the last of the feudal knights of Democracy who held the hearts of their faithfully adherent in easy thralldom. They ruled wisely, and posterity will yield them ample tribute after the pretty jibes and jars of political warfare are forgotten. On the death of Alderman Houlding, he was succeeded in the presidency of the Liverpool club by his brilliant son, Dr. William Houlding, B.Sc., who followed his father in the esteem of all who knew him, and who in himself and by his own gifted personality alone would have naturally succeeded to the leadership thus left vacant. Dr. Houlding, however, was of a studious and retiring disposition and educated in Edinburgh and abroad, had little liking for public or political prominence and in recent years his responsible position as chairman of Moss Empires Ltd, had meant frequent attendances at their London offices, between where and his home in France his days are no happily spent.



April 25, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo

Mr. Jack Wildman, of Bolton, writes;-

“I would just like to say that I came to live in Bolton, from Liverpool, in 1887. I had been a playing member of the Everton F.C for a few years before they went to Anfield Road. I happened to be in Liverpool, and brought the “Football Echo” I came across the article about famous old-timers, and it made me think of old times. I well remember the first match at Anfield road. Charley Twemlow, the treasurer, stood at the gates with a hand-bang for the coppers. Frank Brettie was secretary. Both Charley and Frank were school-teachers. Charley I think went to Australia, Frank later, became team manager for Bolton Wanders for a short time, but what I want you to know is that Everton did not bring Alec Dick to Liverpool. There was a club called Stanley that played on a pitch where Goodison Park stands now, or very close to it, which was composed of nearly all Scotch players. There were no pros then, Archie Goodall, brother of John Goodall, played for them (afterwards going to Preston N.E) also the brothers Wilson; but they did not get a lot of support. I think the first import was George Dobson from Bolton, than George Farmer from Oswestry, and I think if there is to be a monument on tablet fixed on Everton's ground, George Farmer's name should be in the centre. Farmer was the man that made the people come and take notice. We never looked back after he came. We got two good Welsh boys Jobe Wilding, Abel Heys, then George Fleming. I don't think Alec Dick came till after Stanley broke up. The first team at Anfield road when we started was C. Linday (goal); Morris, Marriott, Preston, Parry (Capt), Pickering, Richards, Whittle, Jack McGill, Gibson, Higgins. The opening match was against Earlestown, whom we had beaten in the final for the Liverpool and district cup, the previous season. Our full team did not play for, at the time,, rounders held a big away and some of our members were in the Crescent Rounders Club. So that Charley Joiffe was in goal, Jack McGill and Pickering played back. As for funds we started in a small way, but were not long in laying a firm foundation, which others found easy to build on, and claim all the credit.”

The Davies Memory

I have been much interest in the series written by Mr. Victor Hall, which recall to memory man. “Who are no longer amongst us” These articles show that Mr. Hall must have been in intimate touch with the honored men about whom he writes, as he has summed their characteristics up with wonderful accuracy. I knew very intimately each one of whom he has written. I worked with them in the building up of the club, and I can say that he has given a true photograph of the work they did

(Writes Mr. W.R. Clayton).

In writing about my dear old friend, John Davies, in your Saturday's issue, he says; “The way was not easy, there were many difficulties to overcome, and at times there were periods of anxiety…….

Among them no man worked harder for the success of the club than John Davies. Yes, John Davies for a period of over 28 years worked hard and well for the success of the club and the result of the efforts of himself and his colleagues was the building of the club which stood preeminent amongst the clubs of the football world. It was the envy of most clubs, it was looked upon as a club run upon sporting lines, and was respected the world over. What reward did Mr. Davies get for his services to the club? The success of the club and its wonderful position caused a number of small-minded but envious men to desire to obtain control of this great organization, by means of purchasing shares and placing them with carefully selected friends and by all kinds of unfair methods and tactics they endeavored to undermine the confidence of the shareholders in the directorate, and their first attempt to secure control was to remove Mr. Davies from his position as director. Was there ever a more unsportsmanlike action? Here was a man who had borne the met and burden of the day and by whose thought and energy the club had been built up to a gigantic success, to be dismissed by a few ambitious nonentities. They were successful in their aim. His knowledge and judgment were unrivalled. What acknowledgment of his unrivalled services did he get? Absolutely none, I have read of a local gold club who honored their professional who had served them for a shorter than Mr. Davies served the Everton Club, by making him a life member of the club, and I presume the golfer received some remuneration. This is sportsmanship, Mr. Davies, who never received any remuneration, was simply pushed off the board after his 28 years of service with a word of thanks or acknowledgment.



April 25, 1925. The Liverpool Football Echo

The great features of the local football season has been the splendid way in which Everton have been supported by the general public, despite the generally disappointing form of the men in blue.

We Liked the way young Kendall kept goal on Monday.

Rand, the youthful Everton inside right possesses capital qualities and one of these is his quick control and accurate disposal of the ball.

Everton began the season full of hope and promise with the following side; Kendall; Raitt, Livingstone; Brown, McBain, Hart, Chedgzoy, Hargreaves, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup.

Everton have had more than a fair share of trouble in the matter of injuries to players, especially so in the case of men like Livingstone, Hart and Peacock. Not one of this trio has been seen in the League team since January's early days. At the same time, Everton's “returns,” on the whole have been very disappointing, and it can hardly be said that the outlook for a season hence is in any sense brighter than even if as bright as, a year ago.

One of the Everton players who are making good in a new position is Bain, who with another year over his head should prove a really first class centre half.

Kerr, is another “blue” who should do well ere long, and particularly when that little bit of extra fire supplied by the “devil” in his play has died down.


April 26, 1925. The Sunday Post

Director Kirkwood and Mr. Fair, of Everton, were at Perth yesterday, one of the Airdrie officials had a long talk with the Merseyside representatives and several players of the Broomfield club were under discussion. Everton want players for “every position” in fact the “Scouts” have a roving commission “Get what you can” is the watch word of Everton as it is of nearly every English club at present. Everton have not yet cut off negotiations with Greenock Morton for the transfer of McKay, the inside right.


Sunday Post -Sunday 26 April 1925

Director Kirkwood and Mr Jack Fair, of Everton, were at Perth yesterday. One of the Airdrie officials toad a long talk with the Merseyside representatives, and several players of the Broornfield club were under discussion. Everton want players for " every position." In fact, the " scouts " have a roving commission. " Get what you can the watchword of Everton, it is of nearly every English club at present. Everton have not yet cut off negotiations with Greenock Morton for the transfer of M'Kay, the inside right.


April 27 1925. The Daily Courier.



By J.A.M.

For once in a way Everton were enabled to play their own dainty game of football without interference when they met Kilnarnock, and the match was a source of placid delight to a 15,000 “gate.” True, they lost 3-2, but nobody cared a great deal, and the experiment of trying the “two men” defence in the now offside rule may be said to have succeeded. There was but one stoppage for the offence in the whole game, but that was when Dean found himself marooned a yard from goal, which only the laughing goalkeeper to fire at. However, on one or two other occasions “Dixie” pulled up short when well-placed, under the impression that he was offside, when he might have gone on. Certainly, it appears that given 22 men who will “play the game” as it was played on Saturday, more consistently bright football will accrue under the new rule. Wingers particularly, will have a good time when they have tumbled to their fresh freedom.


If the game at Goodison appeared a trifle slow, it was replete with incident. We had a goal in the first minute we had the spectacle of Harland leaving his goal, and putting in a splendid dribble to the half-way line, and we had the thrill of watching Davie Reid hook one of finest goals seen at the Park for a season or two. Kilnarnock are a cohesive, clean, and clever lot, and they deserved to win, Lindsay, Gray, and Rock, were the best attackers and Dunlop and McEwan shone in the intermediate line. The backs were small, but sound, and the goalkeeper was worth his weight in Gold. Everton's defence was a trifle happy-go-lucky with McDonald often setting off irresponsible fireworks on his own goal line. McBain, Brown, and Reid were duly affectionate towards their Brither Scots, but as a contrast the forwards, especially Wall, were in dour, deadly earnest. Dean appeared puzzled and seemed always to be listening for the whistle. Kennedy who played outside-left was enterprising, but unlucky, (Kennedy scored the first goal from a penalty kick ), and Hargreaves slogged in whole-heartedly, Millington on the right wing, had few chances, but he is a personable lad whose time will come.


A rousing cheer from quite twenty people greeted the announcement that Sheffield United had won the Cup, but there was a good ideal more enthusiasm in the Board-room where it was realised that tonight's match with the winners (plus the trophy) will be a tremendous draw. Teams : - Everton: - Harland goal, McDonald and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain (captain), and Reid half-backs Millington, Hargreaves, Dean, Wall, and Kennedy, forwards. Kilnarnock: - Gould, goal, Hood and Gibson, backs, Morton, Dunlop, and McEwan, half-backs, Walker, Smith, Rock Gray, and Lindsay, forwards.



April 27, 1925. The Daily Courier.


A splendidly contested game was played at Gigg-Lane, before about 4,000 spectators. Everton started facing the strong sun, and the game went evenly for a time. Everton were the more successful combination in the open, but proved poor marksmen at short range. Bury were without plan of campaign, their forward line being well held by the Everton halves and backs, and the blank sheet at the interval was a fair representation of the operations. After crossing over Everton improved greatly in their methods of attack, and were frequently dead on the target but Harrison was equal to all demands until 67 minutes of play had expired, when as the outcome of a fine pierce of concerted work among the forwards, Broad drove in hard and low from 15 yards' range, and the ball passed between Harrison's hands and legs into the net. After the Broad tested Harrison several times, and Troup gave the Bury keeper a couple of stinging shots, one of which Harrison saved just under the bar, and on another occasion he only diverted an effort by Chadwick by plucking desperately at the ball and turning it for a corner. At the other end Bury also showed improvement and Kendall saved from Matthews, Humpish, Hughes (three times), and Finney. The Everton defence was safe, both Raitt and Kerr being full of resource and timing and kicking well, while Bain held Hughes well in check. Neither Virr nor Hart allowed his wing any privileges. Broad was the most lively forward, and Troup, and Chadwick the better wing, but Parry also got in many well-timed centres. Everton were always the most dangerous combination and quite deserved the points. They have taken all four points out of Bury Reserves, and four clear goals. Everton Reserves: -- Kendall, goal, Raitt, and Kerr, backs, Virr, Bain and Hart, half-backs, Parry Rand Broad, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.



April 28, 1925. The Daily Courier.



By S.H.H.

The visit of the Cup winners to Goodison Park last evening was an attraction. The pity was that the play generally was not up to the standard anticipated by a crowd numbering some 18,000, and which had shown its appreciation; of the Sheffielders' achievement by prolonged applause when they trouped on the field. For the greater part of the game the United moved as though they were content to hold Everton without unduly exerting themselves, and it was rarely that Harland was troubled. Everton, on the other hand, did put some life into it, but things did not run smoothly for them and an evidence of this was forthcoming when Broad, allowed to go on from an offside position, hit the foot of the post with Sutcliffe helpless. Chadwick experienced similar ill-luck when Troup presented him with a great opening, and it looked as though the Sheffielders would get away with both points when Gillespie opened the score soon after the interval. The goal was a neat one made possible by Mercer, who hooked the ball over the heads of the Blues' defenders to the feet of the captain. Play was much more interesting after this, but the frequent kicking into touch by Sheffield did not please the crowd. Everton, however, made the mistake of keeping the ball in the air too much, and as time sped by it looked as though they would retire beaten. Five minutes from time Chedgzoy broke away, Birks conceding a corner. This was well placed by the winger, Reid heading the ball into the net as Sutcliffe left his goal in an attempt to divert the centre. On the run of the play, Everton who had Broad at centre in place of Dean, deserved to win, especially in the second half, but somehow they could not apply the finishing touches. Sheffield who made one change from Saturday Birks playing for Milton, no doubt were satisfied with a point, but that they achieved the distinction was mainly due to the energetic Gillespie, as apart from the captain and Tunstall none of the forwards impressed. Curing the interval the F.A. cup was paraded round the ground by officials of the United club. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, McDonald, and O'Donnell, backs, Brown, McBain (captain), and Reid, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Chadwick, Broad, Kennedy and Troup, forwards. Sheffield United: - Sutcliffe, goal, Cook, and Birks, backs, Painting, King and Green half-backs, Mercer, Boyle Johnson, Gillespie (captain) and Tunstall, forwards.



April 1925