Everton Independent Research Data


April 1 st 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
By John Peel
Everton travel to Bristol to meet the City in the first of their Holiday engagements on Good Friday and two interesting changes in the team Dunn was injured on Saturday, and Martin comes into the side to partner Critchley, while McClure after absence from several matches resumes at right half-back, instead of Britton. Dean whose benefit has been sanctioned by the League resumes in the centre-forward position in place of White.

Saturday 4 April 1931 Lancashire Evening Post
Defenders wore on top at Ewood Park, whore the Rovers Reserve? Drew with Everton Reserves in goalless game. Play deteriorated considerably and in the later stages was of a ragged character. In first half the visitors had more of the play and but for the smartness of Crawford they might have held lead at the interval. Afterwards the Rovers improved, and Groves, the best of the home forwards, was unfortunate with a shot which hit the bar. Twenty minutes from the end Hinton damaged his right leg, and went to right half. Richards falling back. The clewing stages there was a keen struggle for a goal, but none came.

BRISTOL CITY 0 EVERTON 1 (Game 36)-(Lge Game 3088 over-all)-(Div 1 3052)
April 4 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Stein Decides.
One goal to Everton at Bristol
Crowd Invade the Pitch
At Bristol, where Everton beat the City 1-0, the crowd broke on to the playing pitch just after the game had started. Railings were broken down, but the spectators were pressed back and order was soon restored when they lined up behind the touchline. Everton were full value for their victory, although they only won by the narrowest of margins. Bristol City put up a good fight, especially in the first half, while in the closing stages they fought desperately hard Coggins having to be at his best to keep out great shots from Vials. The only goal of the game was scored by Stein, who netted after half-an hour's play, when making the best use of an opening provided for him by Dean. It was after the change of ends that Everton were seen to their best advantage their forwards then, well led by Dean treating a record crowd of 36,000 to a delightful exhibition of football.

Dean misses.
Dean tried hard to get that 200 th goal. It again eluded him. He had sufficient chances to have scored several, but he was erratic. Stein was Everton's most prominent forward, for he brought most trouble to the Bristol defenders. When Stein once shot in, the second half the ball certainly looked to have crossed the goal-line, but the referee waved play on, despite strong appeals by the Everton players. At right half McClure did splendidly, while Cresswell was the best back on the field. He was seldom at fault in his kicking or tackling. Williams was not always safe, but was well covered by Cresswell. Everton's play in the second half was well in keeping with their position in the League table. Bristol put up a plucky fight till the last minute, going near to equalising in the closing stages when Coggins did some good work. Bristol's goalkeeper (Newlands) played a great game. Teams; - Bristol City; - Newlands, goal; Walsh and Hughes, backs; Jennings, Sliman, and Bruton, half-backs; Homer Williams, Vials, Craig, Johnson, forwards. Everton; - Coggins, goal; Williams (captain) and Cresswell, backs; McClure, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Johnson, and Stein, forwards.

April 4 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Central League (Game 37)
Weak finishing robbed Everton of what should have been a very pronounced victory at Ewood Park instead of a goalless draw. They had most of the play in midfield and their half-back line kept the Blackburn attack subdued, but near goal they fell to pieces and in the second half Leyfield in particular, missed easy chances. Griffiths was the best half-back and the defence was sound. Everton; - Sagar, goal; Common and Lowe, backs; Britton, Griffths, and McPherson, half-backs; Chedgzoy, Cullen, White, Webster, and Leyfield, forwards.

Everton “A” 3 Peasley Cross 1
Liverpool County Combination.
Not until Worrall forced both the ball and keeper over the line to score Everton's third goal, were the home side really assured of victory. Prior to this Peasley had played attractive, progressive football forward, and hardly deserved to be a goal in arrears for Davies and Fryer had scored for Everton and Grice (j) for the Cross. It had been hard, interesting football, and Everton's defence had been the main factors in their success, the forwards work being patchy, and lacking snappy movement. Peasley, although beaten, had played well.

EVERTON 4 BRADFORD P.A. 2 (Game 37)-(Lge Game 3089 over-all)-(Div 1 3052)
Dean's 200 th Record.
Everton win the Championship
Everton Centre on the Mark
The question of Everton's return to First Division football next season was settled on Saturday, when they secured both points from their game with Bradford, the score ending 4-2 in favour of the Goodison side. Dean scored the first goal after eight minutes play and thus recorded his 200 th goal in League football since joining the Everton club. For six weeks Dean has tried hard for the much-anticipated goal, and his success on Saturday was naturally received by colleagues and spectators with enthusiasm. It is a record that may stand for a long time, because Dean has been a prolific score during his six years with the club.

Bradford's Stamina
Everton might have won with greatest ease, but Bradford stayed well and were troublesome near the end, although the issue was scarcely ever in doubt. Throughout Everton moved with greater freedom, the attack being speedier and more effective than for some weeks. Robust methods are Bradford's special quality, and more than once the referee had reason to intervene. Without being an attractive side to watch, Bradford played hard enough, and at times with a fair amount of skill, but Everton's superiority was never seriously challenged. Goals came at 8 minutes and 16 minutes through dean, and Stein, while at 26 minutes Crayston scored for Bradford. In the second half goals by Dean (53 minutes) and Martin (59 minutes) gave Bradford little to hope for, although McMillan reduced the margin a minute from the end.

Decision Reversed.
A couple of minutes earlier Crayston got the ball into the net and the referee signalled a goal. The Everton players, however, protested vigorously and after consultation with a linesman the referee revoked his decision, probably because the ball been handled by one of the Bradford forwards. It was not by any means an impressive match. Bradford having little claim to the finer points of the game, but it settled the doubt –if any existed –of Everton's ability to stay the course of a strenuous season. Dean left the ground just before the end, having sustained a damaged ankle, but he again led the line well and his return to the scoring list was a pleasing feature. Both Critchley and Stein were sprightly raiders whose centres were generally accurate and well timed, while Martin and Johnson did a lot of useful work in the middle. Of the half-backs Thomson and Gee were excellent. Both worked with skill and enthusiasm, but McClure was below the standard of his colleagues. The most accomplished and effective player on the field was Cresswell. Never perturbed and always in position, he played throughout with remarkable confidence. Williams was good, but occasionally he look liberties with the Bradford left wing that brought trouble for the defence. Coggins was safe without having a great deal to do. Of the Bradford players the best two were Clough, Elwood, and Spencer. Teams; - Everton; - Coggins, goal; William's (captain) and Cresswell, backs; McClure, Gee, and Thomson, half-backs, Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Johnson and Stein, forwards. Bradford P.A.; - Cough, goal; Cookson and Lloyd, backs; Taylor, Elwood, and Smith, half-backs; Davies, McMillan, Cryston, Rhodies and Spencer, forwards.

Everton's Tour.
Matches to be arranged with Sweden
Last night Mr. S. Lennberg acting on behalf of the Swedish Football Association, met the Everton Football club officials, to make arrangements for a tour by the Everton club at Sweden and Norway. Mr. Lennberg in an interview, said. “We are making this arrangement for the purpose of aducating Sweden in the finer arts of football, and we are proud that the Everton Football Club is going top visit us. The tour will last under three weeks and will start early in May and will comprise five matches. The fixtures not yet definitely settled, but the idea is that Everton should play two matches in Stockholm, and games in Gottenburg, Malbo and either Copenhagan or Elsimberg. Everton will be playing a national team and a combination of the clubs. Continues Mr. Lennberg and we are looking forward to a very successful tour. The name of Everton is known far and wide in our land. Then will be a great drawing card as well as an education in the football scene. All our people are most keen to see their star players.

Sports Pie

• McCambridge former Everton player played on for Cardiff City against Tottehnam with a broken Rib

April 6 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Central League (Game 38)
Everton “A” 2 Wavertree Athletic 1
Liverpool County Combination
Wavertree were conspicuous in defence stemming the final efforts of the visitor's effective combination. Rimmer was most consistent in the home forward line, who reduced the lead after James and Worrall had netted. Caton was outstanding to the home defence Everton's back line was very strong. Worrall was the most aggressive forward.

April 6 th 1931. Evening Express.
And they still have five games to play!
Wonder team of the year
goal a match Dean.
By the Pilot.
Everton have won the championship of the Second Division. Dixie Dean has scored his 200 th goal. Both happened in the match with Bradford. Saturday was indeed a joy day for the Blues. Everton returns to the First division at one attempt, with five matches still to play. They have proved themselves the wonder team of the year. Congratulations are due first of all to Ben Williams and his colleagues, who have put up such a gallant fight; secondly, to the management who have always encouraged the players to give of their best; thirdly to the loyal supporters who never lost faith in the team evening during the recent lean period. The championship overshadows Billy Dean's feat in getting that 200 th goal –his total at the moment is 2-1 –but this is a record, which merits special congratulations to the England leader. In football League matches for Tranmere Rovers and Everton Dean has now averaged exactly one goal per match –228 goals in 228 matches.

The winning of the championship provides Everton with the necessary consolation for the F.A. Cup semi-final defeat. In a retrospective sense Everton have had a successful though chequered career since 1927. In the April of that year they had to make a gallant fight to avoid relegation to the Second Division; the next season they won the First Division championship; an indifferent season was followed by the relegation disaster, and now they have won the second Division and reached the last four of the cup. There is nothing like variety to keep interest at a high pitch, and the followers of the Goodison Park men have had their full share with a vengeance.

Artistry Tells.
Everton are worthy champions. They have had their dismal moments this season, but generally it has been a bright,. Happy campaign, and proved once again that football craft and artistry will prevail. It was so against Bradford at Goodison Park on Saturday. The Yorkshiremen put up a gallant and oftimes menacing resistance to the Blues, but the extra degree of skill and precision weighted in balance on the champions. One of the most gratifying features was the return to form of Billy Dean. In addition to his two goals he led the line in virile yet throughout manner, and he was opposed to one of the best pivots I have seen lately in Elwood. Martin and Critchley were a lively wing and all three half-backs operated with judgement and zeal. The defence was as sound as a bell. It was a match worthy of such a momentous occasions, and it showed that the Blues have at last become accustomed to the hard grounds.

Sports Pie

• Everton require 10 goals to equal Middlesbrough's Second Divison record of 122. They must average two goals per match to accomplish this.

EVERTON 1 BRISTOL CITY 3 (Game 38)-(Lge Game 3090 over-all)-(Div 1 3052 )
April 7 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton's Second Home Defeat
Bristol City Get Their Revenge.
Champions Gone Stale.
By “Bee.”
Until yesterday Everton had lost but one home match v Port Vale early in the season. Having beaten Bristol City away from home a few days ago, the players imagined they had little to do to win, and could walk through the stiff opposition at will. This did not work out according to plan. Dean scored early on, and that goal gave Everton a totally wrong idea of the persistence and pluck (allied to a nippiness that told it tale) of the Bristol City side. Moreover Everton unchanged from their usual side, failed to grasp the notion that Bristol City, by masking five changes, brought in some young members, trying to make their signing on secure and a bonus acceptable. They were fresh and free and were very fair and virile.

Lack of Concentration.
Had Bristol scored first Everton might have realised the need of the day. As it was the second home defeat came rolling along, and at times it seemed that some of the conquered men were too busy having a chat to each other about their thoughts rather than concentrating upon their positions, and their play. It was a severe blow to pride, but it has no effect upon the championship honour, which is safety housed at Goodison Park. Bristol merits everyone's praises for a bonty display of endeavour and some football ability. They were not going to accept this Everton side at their league top standard. They must battle for their victory, and first Cresswell, in William's temporary absence, kicked away, and found the ball hit a winger, so that Elliott had the easiest of chances.

Defensive Errors.
Next Williams careered over to Cresswell's corner to help him out, and was taken aback when the ball came across the goalmouth, first touching the upright –an escape shortlivened, as the ball went out to Mercer, who took the gift. Two defensive errors; two goals. Everton fought after the interval for the equaliser, and their manner of posting themselves became disorganised. There was an air of indifference and a lack of confidence as time wore on, and it was no surprise when Coggins was beaten again by Mercer. This ended the scoring, and much as Everton attacked they were never so definite nor dangerous in front of goal. The Everton side cracked through staleness, consequent upon three matches in four days. They were well beaten and eventually neither wing men could do anything with the ball when he got it –which was rare. It is good for the game that such surprises lessons should be sustained, and it may be that this result will gave the selectors pause for the future –when the First Division task becomes ripe. Meantime it would be idle to apportion blame. The goals –given by errors –have been explained.

Bristol Dash.
It is only necessary to say that Whitelaw the Bristol goalkeeper, had little to do to show the fault of the forward line, and if one adds that Thomson played like a stale player yet provided two efforts nearing goal, it will be seen that every link had its moderate side. Gee played in that airy way that leads him to make bad passes, and McClure played heartily and was best in his line, and the ball to his forwards. Bristol must not be left out of this critique the work of Walsh and Hughes at full back was of good standard, but the team altogether played with a vin and a dash and with ready methods for carrying the ball ahead at the smartest pace that individually there was nothing between any of them –they were all hearty and good. Everton were disappointed and disappointing. The crowd was probably 25,000 strong, and after the ease with which Everton went through the first fifteen minutes the spectators were lulled into a false security. Teams; - Everton; - Coggins, goal; Williams (captain), and Cresswell, backs; McClure Gee, and Thomson half-backs; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Johnson and Stein forwards. Bristol City; - Whitelaw, goal; Walsh and Hughes, backs; Jennings, Sliman, and Brinton, half-backs; Homer, Mercer, Elliott, Craig, and Robson, forwards. Referee Mr. Westwood, Walsall.

April 7 TH 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Central League (Game 39)
Liverpool accomplished a remarkably fine performance in winning the local Derby, by 4-2 at Anfield, for although they were outplayed for the most of the first half, they hung on determinedly to Everton, and after the interval harassed the visitors, to such an extent that they (Everton) could not formulate the method that had characterized their early play. Liverpool were in difficulties regarding filling the position of goalkeeper –for Riley is indisposed and Aitken was seriously injured on Saturday. However, the club signed Robinson, of Bootle Celtic, directly after his game at Anfield yesterday morning, and he was thus in the unusual position of having played for two clubs in one day. He made a very favourable debut, for although he made a mistake when Webster scored, he made a number of good clearances –two particularly very brilliant efforts preventing White netting. Everton's attack aided by a strong middle line, easily had the best of the early exchanges and although Cunliffe scored very early on from Leyfield's corner, the visitors were always the more predominant attackers for Liverpool's front line could not get moving methodically. The half hour found Gunson get the equaliser, but ten minutes later Webster scored a simple goal when Robinson failed to hold a lob shot. Everton's interval lead was deserved, but the resumption showed Liverpool offering a complete revival. The ball was swung about accurately, and by means of direct forceful advances they outplayed the Everton halves, and Parker and Lowe often in difficulties in trying to frustrate their advances. McRorie scored Liverpool's second equaliser, and then Barkas succeeded in getting the third and fourth goals. It had been a splendid contested game, full of interest, with Liverpool deserving their success, for their defence in the first half had been sound, whilst the rally of the forwards after the interval was the main factor of their victory. Everton lost because their backs were uncertain late on, and their halves failed to hold Liverpool's forwards.

Marine 2 Everton “A” 6
Liverpool County Combination
It was fine team work more than anything else that enabled Everton to inflict Marine's first league defeat at Crosby. Up to the scoring of the fourth goal for Everton. Marine had undeniably held a slight advantage, yet it was obvious that the team, as a whole, were much below their best, Corkhill since playing up to their known standard. Everton showed good all-round form. Worrall, at outside left, B. Llody (centre-half) and Jackson (left-back) were outstanding. Scorers, Fryer (2), Worrall (2), Davies, and Crawford for Everton, and Crilly (penalty) and Hodgson for the home team.

April 7 th 1931. Evening Express.
Two Days after winning Title.
Everton's Mistake.
By the Pilot.
Two days after winning the championship of the Second Division, Everton met with their second home defeat of the season. Everton probably, made the mistake of taking Bristol City too cheaply at Goodison Park yesterday. That was the main reason for their downfall. Everton were the first to score, but this only served to make them more confident. They laboured under the delusion that one goal was sufficient, and when they tried to play exhibition football they found the City assuming a complete mastery in ball control and goal scoring. That air of superiority help Bristol materially in their fight to avoid relegation. These two points, as the result of their three goals to one victory, should ensure them another season at least in the Second Division.

Coggins in Form
Everton have rarely given such an indifferent display. Coggins was the one man in the side to reveal his best form. Williams, who suffered from a nasty blow on the face, and Cresswell made errors, but Williams was the better player. McClure alone of his intermediaries shaped well but he faded out of the picture as the game progressed. Gee was right off colour and hardly once used the ball well. The forwards were disjoined and lacked confidence in themselves. The wingers Stein and Critchley were mastered by Jennings and Brinton; in fact, I cannot recall a single touchline run and centre by either of them. This is strange for the Blues. Martin was lacking in punch. Like Johnson, he required too much time in which to think and act, and so dean was generally left to plough a lonely furrow in the middle. He did his best with some high balls, which he carefully nodded to vacated positions. The he, too, lost heart, so that Sliman became his master. Bristol were a better team than their position would suggest. Their defence was excellent and the half-backs relentless tackles and keen constructive players. Elliott led the line enterprisingly and had willing foils in Mercer and Homer.

April 8 th 1931. Evening Express
Seven have played for First Eleven.
A team as strong as many other club's first teams, will present Everton Reserves on Saturday. Against Bolton Wanderers Reserves at Goodsion Park, the team will include seven players who have appeared in the first team this season, and of these two are internationals. Lowe, Britton, McPherson, Wilkinson, White, Griffiths and Rigby have each assisted the Second Divison side, and Griffths and Rigby hold Welsh and English international caps respectively; Rigby addition is the holder of a F.A. cup medal. Team; Sagar; Parker, Lowe; Britton Griffths, McPherson; Wilkinson, Webster, White. Rigby, Leyfield.

First X1 Unchanged.
No changes will be made in the first team to visit Oldham Athletic. Dunn, who injured his ankle at Stoke, is still suffering from sustained ligaments in the joint. Team; Coggins; Williams, Cresswell; McClure, Gee, Thomson; Critchley, Martin, Dean Johnson, Stein.

Senior Cup Tie
The replay of the Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final tie between Everton and Tranmere Rovers will take place at Goodison Park on Monday next kick-off at 5-30. When the teams met at Prenton Park they shared six goals.

Sports Pie

• Everton have granted permission to Williams and Griifths to play for Wales against Ireland if the Welsh Selectors require their services.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC 3 EVERTON 3 (Game 39)-(Lge Game 3091 over-all)-(Div 1 3052)
April 13 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton in two moods
Gane saved in last Two minutes.
By “Stork.”
Some of Everton's football against Oldham Athletic was of the highest grade, but there was some of it, which was of poor calibre. In approach work, and the art of making the ball to do the work, they were superior to the Athletic, but once they got in front of goal there was a slump in their clock. Everton nearly left it too late, for it was not until the last two minutes that they actually pulled the game out of the fire, a game which they should never have allowed top get into the flames, but if a side cannot, or will not, clinch their approach work with the things necessary in football, shots, then they cannot expect to win. Everton had chances galore to have won this game in the first half despite the strong defence which the Oldham rearguard put up against their forwards, but they would not take a risk with a first time effort, being over-indulgent in their artistry in front of goal. Martin's opening goal should have brought them to the full realisation of the fact that here was the type of shooting to beat their foe, but for over an hour they did not produce another of the same order, if exception is made of a Stein effort which went sailing over the crossbar.

The shortest Route.
Oldham, if not cannying took the shortest route towards Coggins, but even their shooting was at fault at times, but they seemed to have the game well in hand in the last ten minutes for they twice held a goal lead, but it was than that Everton decided to cut out some of their frills and go right out for shots, and Martin's second goal was the greatest shot of the game. It was followed by another excellent goal by Johnson, and Oldham then seemed well on the way to a victory, but Johnson with that deadly left foot of his, slammed home a third goal which brought his side a point. The last fifteen minutes was worth all that had gone before for it was packed chock full of thrills, whereas the earlier play had been of a go-as-you-please order. There was a friendly spirit about, and when Moss had his pants torn he tripped off the field for a new pair, what time the game was held up for a minute or two. Oldham had played well at Goodison. They played well at Boundary Park, but if Everton had commenced their “big-hitting” at an earlier stage in the game they would not have had cause to fight tooth and nail at the rear end of the match. That Everton will be missed by Second Division clubs brooks of no denial, for they brought the biggest crowds of the season to Boundary Park, as they have done at many other enclosures this season.

Dean not Given a Chance.
Dean apart from two or three passes in the first ten minutes rarely got a decent pass. The ball was up in the air too often, and he had to strain his neck to get near to it. Apart from that he was usually surrounded and Everton made the mistake of flinging the ball into the middle when they must have known that the wingers were better placed. There were some people, who through that Dyson was offside when he scored Oldham's first goal. My view, was that when Johnstone made his header Dryson was on the right side of Cresswell, but he was so quickly off the mark that he may have looked offside. Oldham's second goal was made through a free kick which Cresswell did not get clear, and Gray promptly found the net. Worrall missed the best chance of the game, when he failed to pick up the ball right in front of goal, and Hasson also missed a grand opportunity through shooting too soon. Martin was Everton's best forward, Gee got at cross-purpose with Worrall, and had to be spoken to, and I rated Thomson as the best in the middle line. Cresswell was nearly always master of Worrall. Teams; - Everton; - Coggins, goal; Williams (captain) and Cresswell, backs; McClure, Gee, and Thomson, half-backs; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Johnson and Stein, forwards. Oldham Athletic; - Miss, goal; Ivill, and Porter, backs; Adlam, King and Goodier, half-backs; Worrall, Dyson, Johnstone, Gray, Hasson, forwards. Referee Mr. W. Walden, Derby.

April 13 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Central League (Game 40)
Everton's victory was merited, for although the Wanderers set a merry pace and were the more dangerous in the early stages, the home side gradually took a firmer grip on the Bolton defence. Still, it was a brilliant save by Sagar from Rimmer that prevented the visitors snatching a draw in the closing minutes. White opened Everton's score but Wilson equalised. Directly after the interval White again put Everton ahead, only for Wilson to provide Bolton's second equalser. A goal by Worrall (an “A” team youngster) making his debut on the right wing gave Everton their victory. Everton; - Sagar goal; Parker and Lowe, backs; Britton, Griffiths and McPherson, half-backs; Worrall, Webster, White, Rigby and Leyfield, forwards.

April 13 th 1931. Evening Express Dilly-Dallying that nearly meant Defeat.
Worrall did not Impress.
By the Pilot.
In the space of 90 minutes we saw two different Everton's at Oldham –vastly different. For a solid hour the Blues seemed to be able to do everything but shoot. In front of goal it was one long serial of dilly0dallying with each man in the front line throwing the onus of attempting to score on his colleagues. The result was that up to the 79 minute Oldham were leading 2-1 instead of Everton having made the game safe. The came an electrifying change. The Everton forwards seemed suddenly to realise the error of their ways, and proved that quick shooting is the way to success. In this instance they left it too late, but even so they managed to share the points 3-3 Martin and Johnson scoring fine goals in a hectic finish. I understand that Everton directors were particularly interested in Worrall, the Oldham outside right. He did not impress. The Blues have often given better fare than in this encounter, but while appreciating that the ball was in the air rather too much, that mistaken policy of non-shooting attack was their only real fault. Oldham struck me as a hard-working, zealous combination whose incisiveness and speed made them a menace. Their standard of football was not the same as that of the Blues, whose defence adopted the far-seeing methods, so necessary to combat tearaway attackers. My opinion that the Oldham first goal by Dyson was offside is shared by all the Everton players, Dyson appeared offside when he got the final pass from Johnstone. He need not have been, but like so many forwards he moved too quickly in his eagerness. Coggins found plenty of work thrust upon him by determined forwards, of whom Hasson, the left winger, was the “star.” Cresswell struck one as the most ingenious defender on the field, because he could make the opposition play into his hands. Yet, strange to say, he was directly responsible for two goals. Football is like that. Williams was definite in all his work, and his tackling compared favourably with any of that of the home men. Gee did well in defence, though his feeding was not quite up to standard, and with McClure invariably getting under the ball, Thomson took the intermediary honours. Critchley and Martin constituted the more accurate wing in attack. I though Critchley the best of the line, though he did not receive a great deal of support.

Sports Pie

• Everton must be the most popular team in the Second Division. Their visit to Oldham resulted in a record gate for the season –just on £1,000.

April 14 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Liverpool Senior Cup
No goals in Cup Replay
Everton and Tranmere miss chances.
A goalless draw was the outcome of the Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final replay at Goodison Park last night. The clubs will now meet at New Brighton's ground on Monday, next, kick-off 6.15. Taken all round, it was a disappointing game, for each side lacked the ability to force home opportunities. Play was dull and unentertaining though when each side came to reveal danger, neither seemed able to snap their chance, although the Rovers in the second half threatened to take a goal when they opened out their play.

Everton Halves Do well.
Everton were much indebted to their halves, who frequently held up Tranmere's dangerous efforts when the visitors had closed in on the home goal. Fishwick missed a great chance of giving Tranmere victory, when he placed over the bar from close in, but against this Webster, Worrall, and White caused the Birkenhead side's defence great anxiety during a last-minute melee, Briggs scrambling the ball away. The first half was evenly contested. Everton started well, but fell away against a defence that was sturdy. Briggs saved from Leyfield and White, but there were few shots of the scoring quality. Still, Griffiths with a good effort struck a defender, and Briggs had to nip across his goal sharply to get it away. The miss of the half, however, Must be debited against Worrall, whose display was not equal to his game on Saturday, lacking strength and accuracy in finish, for he shot wide after Leyfield and White had made a great opening. Tranmere's inside trio were dangerous, particularly Dixon and J. Kennedy, but the inside forward early on played too close to be really effective, for Griffiths was a good Everton defender.

Tranmere Lack Sting.
After the interval Tranmere were the more dangerous, but their finishing invariably lacked sting, and accuracy. Meston went near with a curler that Sagar cleverly caught. Fishwick, Dixon, and Kennedy tried efforts, but really the outstanding and nearest scoring shot of the game came in the first half when Dixon hit the foot of the post with a terrific drive. Teams; - Everton; - Sagar goal; Parker and Lowe, backs; Britton, Griifths, and McPherson, half-backs; Worrall, Webster, White, Rigby, and Leyfield, forwards. Tranmere Rovers; - Briggs, goal; A. Kennedy and Lewins, backs; Barton, Shaw, and Lewis, half-backs; Meston, Fishwick, Dixon, J. Kennedy, and Roberts, forwards.

Sports Pie

• Williams and Griffiths were selected to play for Wales against Ireland, tomorrow week at Wrexham

April 16 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton “A” beat Liverpool “a” 3-2 at Goodison Park last night, after a well-contested game. The home side gained an early lead through Cunliffe, but Liggins equalised. Hanson then put Liverpool in front, but before the interval Fryer levelled the scores. In the second half both goals had narrow escapes. Near the end Lloyd netted the winning goal. The defences on both sides were good. Everton being superior in attack. Cook, Davies, and Worrall were outstanding for Everton and Minns, Chamberlain and Kelly played well for Liverpool.

April 17 th 1931. Evening Express.
Everton's last home Division Two Game
Presentation of the Shield
By the Pilot.
Tomorrow will see the last Second Division Football at Goodison Park, for Everton play their final home League match of the Season against Burnley. It will be a memorable day for the club, because after the game the Championship Shield, won at the first and only attempt, will be represented to the Blues by Mr. John McKenna, President of the Football League. Loud speakers have been installed on the ground so that all spectators will be able to hear the speeches. Burnley who were relegated with Everton last season, hold the distinction of having scored more goals against Everton this season than any other club. This was the five they recorded when the teams met at Turf Moor, and Burnley won by five goals to two. Teams; Coggins; Williams Cresswell; McClure, Gee, Thomson; Critchley Martin, Dean, Johnson, Stein. Burnley; - Conway; Wood, Waterfield; Brown, O;Dowd, Storer; Jenkins, Priest, Beel, Jones (or Kelly), Page.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 18 April 1931
For Monday next and during the week the Picture House management have secured a big attraction in the Gaumont-British all-taking picture, "The Great Game."
It is an Association football story, introducing John, Seddon, Butler (Arsenal), Andy Wilson, Ferguson, Mills, Thain (Chelsea), Dimmock, O'Gallagham, Crompton (Spurs), Jack Cock, of Millwall, playing the leading part.  Included in the programme will also be found "Borrowed Wives" featuring Rex Lease, Vera Reynolds, and Nita Martan. 

April 18 th 1931. Evening Express.
Arrangements for the Shield Presentation
By the Pilot.
Everton play their last home match of the season on Saturday. Burnley, who lost their First Division statues at the same time as the Blues, will provide the opposition. The Second Division Championship Shield will be presented to the club after the game by Mr. John McKenna President of the Football League. The presentation will take place in the directors' box and loud speakers will be placed at various points of the ground to enable all to hear the speeches without leaving their places. Everton can get 65 points if they win their matches with Burnley, Southampton (away) and Preston North End (away). Everton are also heading for a record in the number of goals scored in the competition. This is at present held by Middlesbrough with 122. The Blues require seven goals to beat it. The directors have decided to play the team with drew at Oldham on Saturday. This will be Martin's 13 appearance of the season, so that he will require one more to qualify for a championship medal. Team; Coggins; Williams, Cresswell; McClure, Gee Thomson; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Johnson, Stein.

The Reserves will journey to Deepdale to oppose Preston North end in a Central League match, and will be represented by; Sagar; Cook, Lowe; Chedgzoy, Griffiths, McPherson; Worrall, Cunliffe, White, Webster, Leyfield.

April 18 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
International winger and Goodison Club
From a Special Correspondent London, Friday.
Football circles in London are tonight discussing the question whether S.D. crooks, the English International outside right, will play for Everton next season. It is known that Crooks has been in Liverpool this week, and there is a suggestion that he will eventually be signed by the Goodison park club. It was rumored some time ago that the Arsenal had endeavored to secure the transfer of Crooks, but this was denied. Everton are expected to sign on several new players to strengthen the team now that they have regained their First Division statues.

EVERTON 3 BURNLEY 2 (Game 40)-(Lge Game 3092 over-all)-(Div 1 3052)
April 20 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Last Home Game Won
Everton's Championship Shield
League President Optimism
Everton fittingly won their last home game of the season when they beat Burnley by the odd goal in five. As expected there was an enthusiastic scene at the finish when the president of the League (Mr. John McKenna) handed the championship shield to Williams, the Everton captain. In congratulating the Everton club on their success in winning the championship during the first season in the Second Division. Mr. John McKenna said they were many Weary Willies, who predicted that Everton would remain in the Second Division a long time, but their performance had confounded those critic and justified the hopes of their more optimistic supporters. He saw no reason why they (Everton) should not follow the example of Liverpool and win the championship of the First Division the following season.

Good Shooting.
Saturday's game revealed Everton as a far better side than Burnley, and in a playing sense there was a greater difference than that suggested by the score. They did very much good shooting early on, and when Johnson scored at three minutes and Critchley at five minutes, it looked as though Everton would win by a big margin. Beel, however, got through for Burnley before Wood at 30 minutes put through his own goal to give Everton an interval lead of 3-1. Play in the first half was bright and exhilarating.

Everton's Grip.
The Burnley side worked hard and revealed a fair measure of skill, but it was obvious Everton had a tight grip on the game. Chances were missed and both sides were pretty equal in this respect. Many of the referee's decisions did not please the crowd, and when he (the referee lectured Dean and apparently threatened to send him off the field there was a strong outburst of booing that was continued more or less throughout the game. Play in the second half was not so good due mainly to the unconvincing work of the forwards.

Strong defence.
The Burnley defence stood up well to the Everton attack, although there were times when defeat was averted more by luck than judgement. Conway did well in the Burnley goal, and Waterfield was a fine back, but as a pair Williams and Cresswell defended with a sureness that carried conviction. Coggins made a slip later on, but fortunately for Everton he had time to recovery before the Burnley players could profit by it. Apart from that Coggins was sound. Thomson and Gee were prominent in the middle line, where McClure rather spoiled a good performance by over eagerness.

Powerful Leader
Dean was a powerful leader, thrustful and alert, he gave the inside men some capital chances. Johnson shot well, and Martin provided some neat touches. Critchley had a good first half, but Stein was not sufficiently employ to be prominent. Priest scored Burnley's second goal at 65 minutes, the only point of the second half. Teams; - Everton; - Coggins, goal; Williams (captain) and Cresswell, backs; McClure, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Johnson and Stein, forwards. Burnley; - Conway, goal; Wood and Waterfield, backs; Brown, O'Dowd and Storer, half-backs; Jenkins, Kelly, Beel, Priest and Page, forwards.

Everton Celebrate.
Medals for the players.
“We rejoice over what I consider to be of great value to the Everton Club; that is, the nobabiltation in the eyes of the all football loving people, “ said Mr. W.C. Cuff, the chairman, at a celebration dinner of the Everton Football club on Saturday night. The entire staff of the club, was entertained by the directors and Mr. John McKenna, the president of the Football league handed Second Division championship medals to Williams (captain), Coggins; Cresswell, Gee, Griffiths, Thomson, Critchley, Dunn Dean, Johnson, and Stein. Further medals will subsequently be presented to Rigby, Martin, McPherson and McClure.

Mr. Cuff referred to the depths of despondency the club were in last season when they suffered relegation, despite a fine rally by the players. “We took out defeat with becoming humility,” he said, “but the directors made up their minds as soon as they had got over the shock, that their term in the Second Division should be of as short duration as possible. The loyal players of Everton made up their minds likewise. Now we are here to celebrate the fact that our stay was as short as possible. Tonight we pay tribute to the loyalty of the players. They started this season with the determination that they would do everything they could do to put us at the top of the League and keep us there. They have succeeded.” On behalf of the board Mr. Cuff thanked the players for their loyalty, and expressed the hope that they would uphold the traditions of the club in the higher sphere. “ I Believe” continued Mr. Cuff. “ That Liverpool and the First Division clubs have missed us this season, and there are many Second Division clubs who will be gnashing their teeth that we are no longer with them. Whatever we have been this season we have drawn bigger gates and brought them greater revenue than any club.”

Clean Football.
Mr. John McKenna, in making the presentation, said Everton was a great achievement, because there were 2 clubs trying to stop them. That is the beauty, and essence of football, “he added, “and the loyalty and efficiency of your players prevented the others winning. Far greater than the fact that Everton have drawn record gates in the impressions the players left on the minds of others when they came away. Clean sportsmanlike football appeals to the British public, and that is the reason for those large gates. Everton's display of football has appealed to the public and that is for the good of football in general. W.R. Dean proposed the health of Mr. Tom McIntosh the club secretary, and remarked. “No man could be easier and better to work for. He has been a big factor in our success. B. Williams the captain said, “We promised we would get back to the First Division, and we got there sooner than we expected. It has been a hard fight, and the boys appreciate what you have done for us. We hope to occupy a respectable position in the First Division. Messrs. T. Johnson, W. Cresswell, and H. Hart also spoke. Proposing the health of Mr. Cuff, Mr. E. Green, vice-chairman said, Mr. Cuff was the right man in the right place. Mr. J. Sharp and Mr. T. McIntosh added tributes, and Dr. Cecil Baxter said, “ The spirit of the players was asemplifled by the 200 th goal. Dean did not trouble about scoring it. The ball was swished down the middle, but he did not care who got the goals as long as we got them.” Replying Mr. Cuff said it would be a great comfort to him to see the reserve team winning the Central league, the greatest competition in the country outside the Football league. There is nothing derogatory in playing in the reserve team, and I hope next season you will win the Central league.”

April 20 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Central League (Game 41)
North End were the better team at Deepdale White, Worrall and Leyfield were the only visiting forwards to worry North end. Sagar alone saved Everton from a heavier defeat. Bargh (3), and Owens (2), scored for the home team, and White replied. Everton; - Sagar goal; Cook and Lowe, backs; Chedgzoy, Griffiths, and McPherson, half-backs; Worrall, Cvunliffe, White, Webster, and Leyfield, forwards.

Everton “A” 4 Whiston 1
Liverpool County Combination
At Stopgate lane. Displaying the better combination the home side fully deserved their success. The visitors scored first through Morgan. The home side later equalised through Fryer, and before the interval further goals had been added by Davies and Lloyd. After the resumption Whiston pressed strongly, but the home defence proved capable of holding off the visitors attacks. Poole netted the fourth goal in the closing stages.

April 20 th 1931. Evening Express
Chairman and signing if Derby players
“Everton will not sign either Crooks or Cooper of Derby county.” Mr. W. C. Cuff, the Everton chairman, made this statement to the Evening Express when referring to the rumours regarding the visit of Crooks, the international winger to Liverpool. It is understood that Everton did make formal inquires about the players, but there the matter was left. Everton, it is stated are retaining all their leading players for next season.

Ben Williams Team spirit
Ben Williams, Captain of Everton, “We have won because we have always played a good clean, and stylish type of Football. We are determined to regain First Division status, at the first time of trying. We have been pitted against splendid teams, and the co-operations between the players and the management has proved a deciding factor. The team spirit has been wonderful. Our big disappointment is that we are not going to Wembley on Saturday. I think our success has been largely due to the skilful and never say die tactics of the players.

April 21 ST 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Liverpool Senior Cup
Tranmere in Local Cup Final
Everton Reserves lose at Rake Lane.
Tranmere Rovers atoned, to some extent, for recent mistakes at rake-lane last night when they equalified to meet Southport in the final of the Liverpool Senior Cup by beating Everton by three to none in a re-replay. Once they got a goal there was no doubt as to which way the game would finish. Three thousand spectators saw a hard and earnest ninety minutes in which the football was always crisp, if not sometimes up to the higher standard. The hard ground menace to clubs and players was never proved, better than in this game in which Cook had a head injury which caused him to be off the field for ten minutes. Wilkinson was off the field for the greater part of the second half with a twisted muscle. These effects of the ground, which gave the ball excessive bounce, made it correspondingly difficult to get under control.

Ball Runs Too fast.
Tranmere Rovers found the ball ran too fast for them downhill, and perhaps this was the reason they could not get a goal in the first half, when they had more of the game and finished better than the opposition with you being shown in a better light than a blank score sheet. Admittedly Everton were without Wilkinson for the last twenty minutes, but Tranmere appeared to have the game won before the Everton wingmen left. Tranmere were nothing if not effective, and in contrast to Everton they almost invariably made good use of the ball. If Everton had a serious mistake it was that a player would juggle with the ball, beat his man, and then pass it on to someone else who was in a no better position than the original player. Everton were never to convincing at their Third Division conquerors. The three goals came in the second half. Watts making a perfect header from a free kick taken by Meston for an offence against the scorer. Watts had the second goal, through a hesitance on the part of the defence when the ball came from the left and Kennedy (j) owned his goal as much to Meston and Dixon as to himself. It was good hard football all through, and it has to be said that once the game settled down Tranmere's defence got a tight grip on a rather flinnicky forward line which, when Wilkinson went was even worse.

Lewis Stands out.
Briggs had a comparatively easy time. Perhaps that is why Kennedy (A), and Livingstone each had a fair amount of work and a good return for their efforts. Lewis was one of the outstanding figures on the field, with enthusiastic outlook and a determination good to see. His use of the ball was excellent and when he chose to make a shot it was at least on the mark. Shear's headwork was good, but he was rather inclined to take risks. However, the half-back line as a whole was quite good, and in point of possessive movements and consistency one could not have desired much more than the work put in by Dixie, Watts, and Meston. Meston's centring was particularly accurate, and Dixon's all round work in which, he took the brunt of a lot of charging on behalf of his inside man only needed a goal to give it polish. Leyfield for Everton showed distinct promise, yet he could do nothing without the ball, and in fairness to him one must admit that he got it very rarely. Chedgzoy, as a half-back, had a very useful first half, and Martin work hard, even if he did not always place the ball to the best advantage. He made some good swinging passes to the opposite wing, which were of great value, but somehow Everton could not find touch with each other in attack. Cook and Lowe might have prevented at least two of the goals, but on other occasions their work was quite sound as was Sagar . Teams; - Everton; - Sagar, goal, Cook and Lowe, backs; Chedgzoy, McClure, and McPherson, half-backs; Wilkinson, martin, White, Webster, and Leyfield, forwards. Tranmere Rovers; - Briggs, goal; Livingstone and A. Kennedy, backs; Barton, Shears, and Lewis, half-backs; Meston, Watts, Dixon, J. Kennedy, and Murphy, forwards. Referee Mr. G. Hewitt, St. Helens.

April 22 nd 1931. Evening Express.
Everton's £3,000 Ground Transformation
Turf that will Stand Hard Wear
By the Pilot.
The work of making Goodison Park into what it is hoped will be the finest football playing area in the country has already been tackled with zest. At the moment Everton's home has the appearance of a miniature battlefield. It is estimated that he transformation will cost £3,000. The ground will be ready for the beginning of next season. Now, on the stripped ground there is a light “jubilee” railway running over the ground on which the Blues earned such fame this season, and workmen are digging trenches to replace the drainage and install a new watering system. When the work is completed the ground will be lowered a few inches. The whole of the turf will be taken up and replaced with new special turf, which, according to expert advice, will withstand heavy wear. I understand that the drain-pipes are in excellent order but that there has been difficulty in the joints, which has prevented the rain-water from getting away. Mr. Harry Banks, the chairman of the Grounds Committee, is looking after the work, which must be completed by the end of May to allow the ground to settle and the turf to knit properly for next season's play.

Everton Tour.
Everton directors have provisionally selected the following 16 players to participate in the club's two weeks' tour of Sweden, Norway, and Finland, which begins immediately after the concluding match at Preston on May 2; - Coggin; Williams, Cresswell, Common; McClure, Gee, Thomson, Griffiths; Critchley, Dunn, Dean, Johnson, Stein, Martin, White, Rigby.
Everton, for their visit to Southampton on Saturday, make no chances from the team, which defeated Burnley. Consequently George Martin, the inside right, qualifies for his Second Division championship medal, this being his fourteen appearance in the competition. Team; Coggins; Williams, Cresswell; McClure, Gee Thomson; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Johnson, Stein.

April 23rd 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Ben Williams and Griffiths played for Wales at Wrexham against Ireland, Wales winning by 3-2, in front of 12,000 spectators. McCambridge the former Everton player, who was playing against his ex-captain. Ben Williams retired towards the end of the match with a thigh injury.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Friday 24 April 1931
Among other players placed on the open-to-transfer list by the Millwall club is Jack Cock, the international forward.

SOUTHAMPTON 2 EVERTON 1 (Game 41)-(Lge Game 3093 over-all)-(Div 1 3052)
April 25 th 1931. Liverpool Football Echo.
Typical Dean Goal at the Dell
Quick Equaliser By Watson For Southampton
By Stork.
Everton; - Coggins, goal, Griffiths and Cresswell, backs; McClure, Gee, and Thomson, half-backs; Critchley, Martin, Dean, Johnson, and Stein, forwards. Southampton; - White, goal; Bradford and Keeping, backs; Adams, Mcllwaine, and Lockett, half-backs; Jepson, Fraser, Haines, Coates and Watson, forwards. Referee W. Pitts, of West Bromwich.

Southampton had looked forward to this match with Everton, and had hopes of a bumper gate, but the weather was unkind to them, for it poured with rain throughout the morning, and at the time of the match, but the ground had wonderful covered accommodation. Great improvements have been made at “The Dell.” Southampton made many changes from the team which did duty a week ago, and Everton tried the experiment of playing Griffiths at left full back in place of Ben Williams, who was hurt at Wrexham. The ground was to the liking of Everton, for it was heavy in the middle and in front of the goals. It was also suitable for Southampton, who are known as the Mudlarks. Everton were well received, there being a lot of their supporters in the district. There was some clever football in the opening minutes, particularly between the Everton halves and the full-backs, but there were no shots with the exception of one from martin, which had neither power nor direction, so that the Southampton goalkeeper was not called upon.

A Near Thing.
The first really exciting movement was when Griffiths failed to get hold of the ball when Holmes was about to pounce on it. The position was not a cheery one for Everton, but, Griifths, just managed to get his outstretched legs to the ball as Holmes took his shot, which flew over. Gee was delighted with his passes Stein however, was not so quickly into his stride as usual. The home goal, had a narrow escape when Adams, to get himself out of a difficulty, made a short pass back to his goalkeeper. His strength was bad, and Dean was within an ace of snapping up the opportunity, but White made a frantic leap forward and dropped on the ball. He was immediately surrounded, but no Everton man was able to dispossess him, and the position was relieved by the referee whistling for a foul. There was another such happening a minute or two later, but this also was cleared. Southampton set up a barrage that severely tested the Everton defenders, but there was a lot of dangerous-looking movements in front of the Everton goal but it escaped without a shot of any note. A slip by Keeping let in Dean, who tried to get the ball over to Johnson but Walker stayed his progress, and the Southampton defenders were able to close in and stop the raid. He was instantly tackled by Haines, who was able to make a clearance. It was right after this that Everton –took the lead through a typical goal by Dean. Luckett beat Critchley for pace, but the throw in which followed brought about the downfall of White's charge, for Critchley made a high centre, and Dean simply jumped up and flung himself at the ball and headed a perfect goal. Keeping was standing at dean's shoulder at the time, but even he could not prevent the goal and White had no chance. Shortly after this Haines found the net, but the whistle had previously sounded for offside. Southampton took two quick corners and from the last they equalised. It was almost a goal from the moment it left Jepson's foot, travlled over every head until it went to Watson, who guided it into the far side of the net, where Coggins was not. The time was twenty-two minutes, and but for a magnificent save by Coggins, Southampton would have taken a second goal. Keeping lobbed the ball well up from in front of the goal, and Holmes with a back header sent the ball flying towards the nearest post, just on the inside, and it needed a superhuman effort on the part of Coggins to get the ball round the post. At this point of the game Southampton were well on top. They made well-judged long passes, and, above all, accurate centres, and they were constantly in front of the Everton goal, which had many close shaves. The Everton half-backs were not getting the ball to the men in their usually easy manner, and for quite a long time Stein saw little or nothing of the ball.

Quick Tackling.
Quick tackling was one of the causes of Southampton's success, and they were a success for a long time, and Haines made a great effort to snap another goal. When White dropped the centre by Stein, Dean appeared on the scene in a flash, but the goalkeeper was the successful man in the resulting scrimmage. The ball was bouncing in an awkward manner, and this was responsible for several misses. Dean once found the ball at his feet right in front of goal, but his shot was blocked out, and when martin tried to improve matters, Luckett got into the line of flight. Johnson and Dean between them made an opening, but Martin was not up to accept Dean's pass. White stopped a full-blooded drive taken on the run from Dean. When it is recalled that the ground was full of pools, and it was raining heavily throughout the half, the game had been of good quality. Half-time Southampton 1, Everton 1. Dean did not resume with his colleagues, but appeared shortly afterwards with his leg bandaged. Haines, not for the first time went close with a header, and when Thomson made a pass back to Cresswell he caused some trouble to Coggins. Martin made a nice run only to fall through his propenalty to beat just one more opponent. Giffiths and Cresswell got mixed up in a bout with Baines and Coggins fell for it, having to give away a corner to avoid trouble. Another shot was cannoned out. This time it was Fraser who suffered.

Saints take lead
Dean was once again in an offside position when Johnson took a free kick. At the hour Southampton took the lead, and a grand goal it was that Wilson scored. He took over Jepson's centre and for a minute it looked as if he would lose his chance. He did as a matter of fact, but it came again and he drove the ball into the net as he was on the turn. Johnson lobbed the ball into White's arms, and then the Southampton right wing, which had been a menace throughout offered Wilson another scoring position, but the winger failed on this occasion. The football this half was not nearly so good. Everton were too close in the work whereas Southampton played the open game, and it played them better. Frills were of no earthly use; straightforward methods were the thing for Southampton proved it on more than one occasion. Jepson took a long straight shot at goal, and Coggins had to be careful when he went up to edge the ball over the bar. Final results Southampton 2, Everton 1.

April 30 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton's Exhibition Football
James Assists Southport in benefit Game.
About 5,000 spectators witnessed the match between Everton and Southport at Haig-avenue last night, and it is officially anticipated that the total receipts for the benefit of J. Jefferis and W. Sample the Southport trainer, will be about £500. Everton won by 3 goals to 1. Also James, the famous Scottish International and Arsenal forward assisted Southport. The spectators had plenty to admire in the friendly display, Everton in the main worked so smoothly that they gave the impression of a humanitarian side that did not wish to hurt the feelings of the opponention unnecessarily. To carry out this was their shooting was an art in itself.

Three for Martin.
Southport's goal was scored by Waterson after thirty-five minutes and they had this lead at the interval. A minute after the change over, however, Martin, Everton's centre-forward equalised. He got another about midway in the half, and a third close on the finish. Everton many picturesque movements appeared to stimulate their opponents. And something of the same kind, and their efforts in this direction were quite often a success. James with unaboustonmed colleagues, was not the James the spectators had looked for, but this was nobody's fault in particularly, the circumstances he could not do himself justice. Coggins, in the Everton goal was himself well beaten by Waterston's shot. Griffiths and Cresswell in front of goal saved a lot of prospective trouble and was wove delightful patterns the half-backs were resourceful pivots. Everton; - Coggins, goal; Griffiths and Cresswell; backs; McClure, Gee, and Thomson, half-backs; Critchley, Dunn, Martin, Newton and Stein, forwards.

April 30 th 1931. Liverpool Post and Mercury
Everton have been well served this season, by former Stockport County players in Critchley and Gee, and the Goodison Club have now signed W. Bocking a full back who can play either right of left, from the Stockport Club. Bocking who is twenty-eight years of age, has been watched by a number of senior clubs. the new back is likely to play for Everton against Preston on Saturday. Stockport-born man, and during his fine season with the County club in the northern section, he has missed only eight League matches out of 210. Previously he had played a season and a half in the second Division, so that his record is about 300 games. Bocking is a strong and vigorous player, and is expected to prove useful for Everton.

April 1931