Everton Independent Research Data


George Mahon Cup
Liverpool Evening Express - Monday 02 April 1945
Everton Reserves at Goodison Park today, beat St. Teresa's in the George Mahon Cup. Hannah, who led the attack, scored seven goals, whilst Higgins, on the left wing, was responsible for five. Ashley scored the 13th. Everton Res. 13, St. Teresa's 0.

April 2, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 0, Liverpool 1
Record War-Time Crowd
By Ranger
Liverpool proved once again the masters of Everton, winning the return League Cup tie at Goodison by 1-0 before a record war-time crowd. Though the official attendance was 51,512 (receipts £4,251) actually there were several thousands more as one of the large gates was forced open and many got in without paying. The crowd also encroached on the pitch as one corner, and the police had a busy time clearing the touch line. Liverpool have often proved themselves best when fighting with their backs to the wall. So it was this time. Everton throughout had four-fifths of the attacking and early in the second half exercised such heavy and continuous pressure that it seemed certain they would neutralise the goal start which Liverpool enjoyed from the earlier game. Yet, do what they would, they could not shake Liverpool’s brilliant defenders. Busby, who made his unexpected appearance, inspired his colleagues by his example and coolness. Never once did Liverpool’s defence show the slightest signs of nervous. On the contrary the more Everton pressed, the more closely knit did the opposition become. They covered one another in excellent fashion, and by speedy and severe tackling, checked mated every Everton move. True, Everton contributed to their own downfall by the way they constantly frittered away good approach work by feeble shooting –sometimes by no shooting at all. They seemed unable to realise when or how to shoot. The few efforts that made lacked power and accuracy and everybody preferred to shift the ball to somebody else, Usually Lawton, who was so well “noticed” throughout, as well as befell of the right type of passes, that his chances were slender.
An Opportunist Goal
Liddell scored the only goal, an opportunist one, which had its starting point when an Everton forward shot tamely into Hobson’s hands. The Liverpool goalkeeper punted the ball to the half-way line, where Cumner tapped it forward to the almost untenanted Everton half. Greenhalgh slipped as he was about to challenge Liddle who run on, rounded Mercer and netted. Although the goals scored after 73minutes was all against the run of play, it must be recorded in Liverpool’s favour that after the first half hour, they had only ten men and a passenger. Nieuwenhuys being injured in a dangerous looking tackle by Greenhalgh which necessitated recasting their forward line, with Nieuwenhuys hobbling on the right wing. The day’s honours went mainly to Liverpool’s defenders which Busby and Hughes stood out. Jackson was Everton’s best defender, with Grant next. Mercer is too much an attacking half to be an unqualified success as a “stopper.” His art is constructive not destructive. Yet he played his part well. Gillick made some canny moves, but finished badly. Lawton was always up against heavy odds and Stevenson was Everton’s best forward, with Liddell and Welsh the pick of Liverpool. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Mercer (captain), and Watson, half-backs; Wainwright, Gillick, Lawton, Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Liverpool; Hobson, goal; Wesby and Gulliver, backs; Busby (captain), Hughes and Kaye, half-backs; Campbell, Nieuwenhuys, Liddell, Welsh (Charlton), and Cumner, forwards. Referee. Mr. S. Boardman (Hale).

April 2, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
One must spare a spot of sympathy for Everton that they have passed out of the cup so early –the outcome of the luck of the pairing and Liverpool’s great defence –but there is consolation in plenty in the fact that the two games brought in gates of such amazing dimensions. I anticipated that the total receipts for the games would be about £5,000 I was wrong, for they added up to more than £7,000. The aggregate figures of the two attendances was 91,169 no fewer than 51,512 packing into Goodison on Saturday for the finest club gate of the season. It was also the record attendance for any wartime “Derby” and one of the greatest club crowds of the whole war. And out of the two ties the players received exactly £561. There seems to be something out of proportion there, but May 7 may after all that, for then the clubs meet to talk things over.
That Vacancy
After Saturday’s game Mr. Billy McConnell the Liverpool chairman expressed sorrow that Everton had passed out of the Cup so early but gave thanks for two fine games. Mr. Will Gibbins, the Everton chairman said that the wish of ever Evertonian for Liverpool to go on and win the Cup. And so say all us. Apart from the usual match discussions the principal topic afterwards was the vacancy on the Everton directorate due to be filled at next annual meeting. There were four possible candidates present at the match, and the “electioneering” has started, make no mistake. However, the Everton club has taken no action and will not do so until nominations have closed –on May 1. The Board will then refer the matter to the shareholders for they contend and rightly, that it is purely a matter for the shareholders, I could give you the four names right away, but in fairness to them and the club, am convinced that it is best for all of we wait until Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly announces the nominees after closing day. And I have a feeling that the candidates as well as the directors and shareholders would much prefer it if in these difficult times an election could be avoided. I think it will be.
Glorious Defence
Major honours of a pulse-tingling match went to that grand Liverpool defence which stood up to 80 minutes hammering without ever showing a sign of wilting. That Everton failed to get even one goal for all that attacking was due principally to the wonder work of Busby and company and to their own shyness in shooting. There were so many stars in the game that one anticipated a galaxy of goals, but in a shooting respect, the stars forget to shine. Everton lost partly because there was too much of the “After-You-Cecil, no-after-you Claude” complex when it came to finishing an attack. The desire of the Blues to make doubly sure by an extra pass played slap-bang into the hands of a Liverpool defence a split second quicker on the ball than the Everton attackers. I am not detracting from the skill of Hobson, Westby, Gulliver, Hughes and Kaye –as they were heroes –when I say that it was the master mind of matt Busby which really co-ordinated the defence into such a formidable “pill-box.” Busby’s influence in a crisis could be seen time after time, and he regimented his colleagues so cleverly that even if a loophole occurred it was only momentary. It was positional defence brought to a fine art. On top of all that Busby made it his especial duty to back up Laurie Hughes in the effective watching of Tommy Lawton. Time after time Busby was there to cover Hughes and on many occasions he swept in with a power intervention at Lawton’s expense so that long before the end the game’s leading goal-getter seemed to know that it was his day. That made Lawton make mistakes which would never have been in ordinary circumstances. Lawton’s heart was broken by the brilliance of Busby and Hughes. There was nothing wrong with Everton’s approach work so persistently built up by Grant and Watson, but when it came to the final touches they lost their way. Hobson made certain that he was first to any cross from the wing and by the time the quick-as-lightning Liddell had slipped through to take the only goal in 73 minutes, Everton’s hopes of survival had evaporated. Liverpool’s triumph was all the more meritorious because for an hour they played with practically ten men. Nieuwenhuys was injured, and so was merely a passenger on the wing. This so upset the attack that it became a department of individuals rather than a combined body. Liddell remained up with Cumner, but Welsh and Campbell came back to throw in their lot with the boys who so resolutely followed the pre-match plan of “hold what we have.” And hold it they did. It was a quick breakaway that brought the goal. Cumner helping Liddell away, and I think the semi-turned shot rather deceived Burnett. There was nothing wrong with the Everton defence, in fact, Mercer made everything in the air his own, and diligently made great efforts to utilise every clearance in a constructive way. Jackson was grand again, and Greenhalgh had a fine game in a match bringing back all the pre-war thrills and with enthusiasts swarming over the walls into the ground; up the pillars into the stands, and crowding the touching until the police so discreetly enticed them back. From a football viewpoint some of the choicest work came from Gillick and Stevenson in their adroit ball control, and easy movements to position –one these points move between them and Lawton was as good as anything in the game –while Wainwright and McIntosh were sound in their infiltration although lacking, as did their colleagues, the vital shot. Lawton was troubled with a groin injury, but how he and Gillick missed two or three opportunities must remain a mystery. Some aver that Liverpool were lucky to pull through, but I do not see any sound judgement in that. Liverpool won because they could do what they set out to do –stop the Everton scoring menace. And the manner of its doing was masterly. Let us talk of Liverpool now being cup favourites, but if they can secure a three or four goal lead over City next Saturday we shall be feeling pretty sanguine.
New Fixtures
Everton have arranged to play two Football League matches with Wrexham. The clubs meet at the Racecourse next Saturday at 3.30 p.m. and at Goodison Park on April 14 at 3 o’clock.

April 3, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool 1, Everton 3
By Ranger
Liverpool and Everton met for the third time in ten days yesterday, when 22,815 spectators saw the latter gain revenge for their two League Cup defeats by winning 3-1, at Anfield in the Liverpool Senior Cup semi-final. There was no gainsaying that, on the play Everton deserved their victory even though they had two unusual slices of luck. These were two gift goals scored in the first half by Jackson and Grant, which should have been saved by the home goalkeeper. Both were similar in character, high balls which dropped towards the Liverpool goal as Hobson faced the strong sun, but whereas Jacksons was kicked from just inside his own half, Grant’s was from about forty yards. In each case it was clear that Hobson was dazzled. He completely missed Jackson’s effort, and in dealing with Grant’s tried to shield his eyes with one hand and punch the ball out with the other, but only deflected it into the net. Prior to these goals Liverpool had taken the lead in the first two minutes through Shannon their reserve team centre forward who was making his debut in the senior side. Shannon headed a Campbell centre beyond Burnett in the manner of a veteran and a few minutes later again had the ball in the net only to have the point disallowed for offside.
Surfeit of Thrills
The first half produced much more entertaining football than Saturday’s game, and the crowd had almost a surfeit of thrills and goalmouth escapes. The second half was not so good, and a lot of the interest went when Wyles got Everton’s third at the sixty-seventh minute, though there were still flashes of excellent combination right to the finish. Once again Liverpool’s defence had an unlucky Hobson came out with a high honours and none did better than Jones (W.H.) making one of the rare appearances for the Anfield side. Shannon also earned high praises for the splendid debut. He took his first goal brilliantly and Liverpool might have pulled the game out of the fire if they had given him better support in the second half. He has speed, football intelligence and a good shot in either foot. Jackson, Watson and Burnett were the stars in a sound Everton defence. Mercer showed that constructive art can be brought to the pivotal position, but that its employment is fraught with some risks. Wyles was a hard worker though he got little change out of Hobson, and Gillick would have shone more had his wing partner been up to standard. Wainwright was very disappointing. Liverpool; Hobson, goal; W.H. Jones and Gulliver, backs; Kaye, Hughes and Pillings, half-backs; Campbell, Taylor, Shannon, Welsh (Charlton), and Kinghorn, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Grant, Mercer (captain) and Watson, half-backs; Wainwright, Gillick, Wyles, Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. F. W. Wort (Liverpool).

April 3, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
George Jackson has scored a fair number of war-time goals for Everton for he has been their chief utility player during the last five years or so and his figured in every department from goal to centre-forward but he has never notched so “simple” a goal as he did yesterday against Liverpool. From just inside his own half a few yards from the touchline he booted the ball high in the air, well beyond his forwards, right into the Liverpool goal, and to everybody surprise it went between the goalkeeper up stretched hands into the net. Speaking from memory I cannot recall Jackson ever before having scored other than from free kicks or penalties when playing full back. He has however found the net several times when pressed into service during war-time emergencies as a forward. On one occasion a few years back he got all Everton’s four goals against Liverpool at Goodison Park. On another occasion he played in five different positions in five successive games, including centre forward one match and in goal the next. He has been playing brilliantly this season at full back, every bit as well as when he was plucked for the England team which toured South After eight years ago.
• Word has been received that Lieu Edwin Spicer of the Royal Marines –one of six Liverpool F.C. players who have attained commissioned rank –is in hospital in the country as the result of a battle accident in Germany. His injuries are not services.

April 3, 1945. Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton and Tranmere Rovers have reached the final of the Liverpool senior cup which, if the Lancashire Cup does not interfere may be played on April 21 and April 28. “Yesterday Everton defeated Liverpool 3-1. In the second “leg” of their tie at Anfield, so progressing on a 5-2 aggregate, while the Rovers supplement their Christmas-won 5-2 lead over Southport by winning 3-1 at Haig-Avenue. There were no arguments about which side deserved to win yesterday. Every man jack of the 22,815 spectators was agreed that Everton thoroughly deserved to win an attractive game producing two of the most remarkable goals I have seen in years. We had enjoyed the sensational debut of 18-year-old Leslie Shannon, Liverpool’s youngest professional, having his first league game. In two minutes Shannon had headed a lovely goal to set the crowd “alight.” Liverpool were well holding their own and looking just a trifle more dangerous than Everton when they got on the move, but after half an hour Jackson –he once scored four goals against Liverpool –intercepted a ball well in his own half, moved to the touchline, and from 50 yards placed to the penalty area, Hobson dashed out to make a catch, but the sun unsighted him, and the ball bounced over Hobson’s head plumb into the net. That was not all. Two minutes later Grant thought a lob was well worth the trying and so he punted one into the goalmouth from 40 yards. Again Hobson was a bit unsighted, and with one eye on Wyles, Hobson tried to fist away but the ball slid off his hand and was helped further into the net. Old “King Sol” had proved a valuable “player” for the Blues, for these two goals changed the game completely. Liverpool fading out slowly but certainly and Everton getting a grip which became stronger with the passenger of time. Midway through the second half Wyles darted between Kaye and Hughes to a Stevenson pass, nodded it down to his feet to get past Jones, and scored with a perfect shot. The Reds had some other narrow escapes.
Half-Back Power
Primary reason for Everton’s success –their second win over their rivals in the season’s series –was the tremendous power at half-back. Mercer opened a little uncertainly against Shannon, but after 15 minutes took charge of the centre so completely that he found time to go “abroad” to help in the purveying. Grant and Watson were brilliant, not only being strong in their tackling and interventions, but convincing in their use of the ball. Don Welsh laughed many times at the persistent manner in which Grant struck to him, chased him, worried him, and more often than not dispossessed him. The crowd rose to grant whom, you will be interested to know, Torry Gillick considers a real-discovery. Watson gave Taylor no operative space, and with Campbell and Kinghorn blotted out by the perfect backs –Greenhalgh and Jackson –neither put a foot wrongly –Shannon had to play a lone hand for long spells. But ...what a bonny little player is this local lad, who can use both feet, head well, has a grand 15-yard burst and knows where to shoot. Twice I saw Shannon “kill” the ball with the instep “drag trap” which is becoming a lost art. Any youngster who can do that must be good material. Shannon is a nice asset to have in reserve. The steadiness of Kaye, Hughes and Pilling was an outstanding Liverpool virtue, and Kaye obviously has fully recovered from his leg trouble. Hughes held Wyles on all but two occasions and was always magnificently covered by Bill Jones –what a great back this erstwhile forward has become –and the faultless Gulliver. I felt a little sorry for Alf Hobson in his tragedies. The craft of football was supplied in ample quantities by the Everton attack –a sweetly-moving progressive line often treating us to sweeps in which all five participated. Stevenson and Gillick were the “king-pins,” and had Wainwright been faster he would have had a field day on the joy passes from Gillick. The secret of the success of Alex and Torry was their uncanny positional sense. Burnett played his part without blemish in a complete victory starting with those freak goals. Lieut Eddie Spicer, Liverpool’s wing half back, is in hospital in the country after service on the Continent. Billy Jones who played at Anfield yesterday, returns to the front on Thursday.

April 6, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton may easily bring the League Championship No. 2 to Goodison Park, for at the moment they lie second in the table, just two points behind Derby County. Liverpool have 2 points or one less than the Blues, and Wrexham are on the same mark, but without Liverpool’s goal average. So you can appreciate that tomorrow’s match at the Racecourse between Wrexham and Everton is of immense important to the cup issue. A few weeks ago one would have taken Wrexham to repeat their 1-0 victory early in the season but the jolt Wrexham received at the hands of Blackpool was reflected in their dropping of a point at lowly Port Vale. The Blues hope to have Lawton and Mercer, while Jack Humphreys home on leave from overseas returns to duty. This is a hard game to forecast and a drew will not surprise me. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Mercer, Watson; Wyles, Wainwright, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

April 6, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
With their Cup interest dead the main future incentive to Everton and Wrexham, who meet at the Racecourse, is to gather maximum points in their bid for a good position in the final League table. Both have slipped a cog or two of late in that respect but with the season continuing to the end of May, and Whit Monday interweaving there is still time for both to get well in the championship hunt. For the reason tomorrow’s meeting assumes something of a needle contest. Neither can afford to take it easy and though Everton will have a strong side but they will find Wrexham a tough proposition. The Welshman took three points from the Blues earlier in the season, when Everton were strongly represented. Lawton’s inclusion depends on whether he has fully recovered from last week’s injury. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Mercer, Watson; Wyles, Wainwright, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Wrexham; Whitelaw; Lloyd, Partin; Tudor, Bellis, forwards from; Hancocks, Jones, Baines, (Bath City), Watson, Duns, Isherwood.
Everton Shareholders
As i indicated recently was likely, the Everton Shareholders Association Committee which met last week has decided to revive the association in view of the vacancy which arises on the Everton board following the death of Mr. R.R.Turnbull and a meeting of all members has been called for Wednesday next, April 11, at the Stork Hotel (7-30). Members also requested to take this notification as a personal invitation, and a big attendance is desired as certain important recommendations are on the agenda. Committee men are asked to attend half an hour before the main meeting.

April 7, 1945. The Evening Express
Wrexham and Everton met at Wrexham today. Both sides had team changes. Wrexham;- Whitelaw, goal; Millburn (Leeds) and Lloyd, backs; Jones (C.), Tudor, and Bellis, half-backs; Hancock (Walsall), Dix (Tottenham), Jones, Baines (Bath City) and Boyes (Everton), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys and Watson, half-backs; Bentham, King (T.), Wyles, Stevenson and Makin, forwards. Referee; Mr. S. Chatfield (Stoke-on-Trent). Wrexham kick-off and Baines tried a pass to Hancock, but Greenhalgh intercepted and cleared. Everton replied and Makin tried to sell the dummy to Milburne, but slipped in the attempt. Wrexham changed the scene and Dix tried a burst through, but over ran the ball, and Watson punted out of danger. Baines and Dix got the Everton defence in a tangle for a moment, but Humphreys came to the rescue. The Everton right-wing then came into the picture and although Bentham forced a corner, he swung it too far into midfield. Cyril Jones in attempting to clear, handled outside the penalty area, and from the free kick Stevenson tried a pot-shot which just went the wrong side of the post. Dix opened out Wrexham’s attack again and gave Hancock an opportunity, but the latter’s centre was headed away by Greenhalgh. Stevenson made ground for the Blues and Makin tried a header, but Whitelaw easily disposed of it.
Strong defence
The ball travelled quickly from end to end, with both attacks shinning in constructive methods, but the defences proved sound. Wyles tried to manoeuvre for a shot but Tudor checked his progress. Whitelaw had a more difficult job when Bentham got in a good shot, and was even in a tighter fix from a free kick from the other side, when Greenhalgh came up to lob the ball into the goalmouth and Whitelaw just slipped it out for a corner. Meanwhile Wrexham made several promising excursions. Hancock got a clear run and centred. Burnett came right to try and clear, but failed to reach the ball, which travelled to the unmarked Boyes, who drove straight across the goalmouth, and out of play, when confronted with an untenanted goal. However Boyes was a good asset to the Wrexham left wing.

April 7, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Baines Chased Stray Ball for a Goal
Wrexham;- Whitelaw, goal; Millburn (Leeds) and Lloyd, backs; Jones (C.), Tudor, and Bellis, half-backs; Hancock (Walsall), Dix (Tottenham), Jones, Baines and Boyes (Everton), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys and Watson, half-backs; Bentham, King (T.), Wyles, Stevenson and Makin, forwards. Referee; Mr. S. Chatfield (Stoke-on-Trent). Both sides showed several changes Wrexham had a local boy to lead their attack –Jones (no initial available) who is at present a guest player with bath City, who were Wrexham’s keenness rivals for last year’s championship. Baines went inside left, with Boyes of Everton, as his partner. Wyles took the middle position for the Blues with Makin associated with Stevenson on the left wing, while Bentham went outside right to King. Everton’s first gasped when Burnett handling a corner kick from Boyes, dropped the ball almost under the bar but he quickly retrieved it and punted away. For a long time most of the play was in the Blues half, where Baines showed up well. Burnett was well away from his goal month when they repeatedly fired in at an acute angle, which sent the leather behind. Wyles looked like getting through but Taylor pulled him up with a neatly timed tackled. Bentham put in a square centre from near the flag, but this was intercepted by Whitelaw who dealt confidently with other efforts. Dix gave Hancock a chance in front of Everton’s goal, but the outside right’s shot went just too high. Humphreys headed away from a scoring header by Baines. While Everton were pressing King cuffed his shot when all expected a goal. A minute later before the interval when Wrexham were pressing vigorously Burnett ran out to meet a shot from Boyes but completely missed the ball which passed over his head. Baines chased it and netted.
Half-time; Wrexham 1, Everton 0
The defences of both sides had been much superior to the reckless, although it must be said that luck favoured the former two or three times at each end. Burnett had to hand from Baine’s shot usual but there was not much punch behind the ball, Bentham fired in a beauty at Wrexham’s end for Whitelaw to parry. Wyles met the rebound and shot, but Milburn, who was standing beside the bar, kicked the way away.

April 9, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool Daily Post
After leading until the seventh-fifth minute by a clear goal, credited to Baines just before the interval, Wrexham lost to Everton on the Racecourse by 2-1. Up till the, patchy play had been both ends under fire, though not very desirable from raiders whose standard of skill hardly ever reached that of the defence. Everton got on terms with a penalty kick, awarded for a foul on Tudor, a sturdy pivot, and taken by Wyles who gave Whitelaw no chance. Not long before this an Everton player had deliberately held M. Jones, Wrexham leader, just within the penalty line, but luckily for the Blues the infringement took place on the blind side of both the referee and the linesman. Only a minute or two remained when in a final Everton rally and while Wrexham faltered, Wyles shot the winning goal.
Below Standard
One could claim that Everton won on their merits. On the whole their display fell below what the crowd of 7,100 hoped to see and on balance Wrexham had the greater share of the game. Baines however, became a passenger through injury, and the centre forward, a local youth though a gust from Bath City lacked the technique and experience necessary to get pass Humphreys, a very vigilant pivot. In the figurative sense, Dix stood head and shoulders above the rest of the front line, and if some of his colleagues had been able to profit from his approach work there might have been a different tale to tell. Against such a distinguished opponent as Stevenson –quite the best of the Everton vanguard –Cryril Jones did well as right half, but took the gilt off in poor placing. Wyles was judicious in his tactics and Grant had many duels with Boyes, lent by Everton with honours easy. The gate receipts totalled £496. Wrexham;- Whitelaw, goal; Millburn (Leeds) and Lloyd, backs; Jones (C.), Tudor, and Bellis, half-backs; Hancock (Walsall), Dix (Tottenham), Jones, Baines and Boyes (Everton), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys and Watson, half-backs; Bentham, King (T.), Wyles, Stevenson and Makin, forwards. Referee; Mr. S. Chatfield (Stoke-on-Trent).
• Everton Reserves 0, Charlton 0
• Liverpool beat Manchester City 0, Liddell, Welsh (2)

April 9, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton’s victory over Wrexham at The Racecourse was well-deserved and well won. Racecourse was well-deserved and well won. It is true that for a long period it looked as if they would never score, but there was always that indication that once they did they would win. Baines had given Wrexham a first-half lead, but the Everton defence was not seriously troubled. Twelve minutes from time Tudor handled in trying to hold up Makin and Wyles scored from the penalty, and then Makin dribbled up the goal-line and turned the ball back for Wyles to win the game with a fine goal, Tommy King, the Liverpool schoolmaster and former Alsop School player, home from Palestine made his senior debut at inside right for the Blues with conspicuous success.

April 9, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Wrexham’s fans naturally expect to see high class football from Everton, who are among their biggest favourites, but they were a bit disappointed on Saturday (writes Netherby), and there is justificaitionto the general believe that fortune favoured the Blues in giving them the verdict by odd goal in three. The home side were the better in the first half, after which an injury to Baines left him a passenger, with one or two other’s also limping. The penalty kick against Tudor which led to the equaliser after Wrexham had been in front was perfectly just, but unluckily for Wrexham deliberate holding of V.M. Jones by an Everton player within the danger area went undetected. Towards the close Wrexham faltered and their opponents were shrewd enough to get the opportunity Wyles getting his second goal with only two minutes to go. The Everton leader’s work was admirable, but Stevenson topped the bill with Bentham always a danger while Grant and Humphreys were sound half backs.

April 12, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
By John Peel
Mr. A.N. Denaro, president of the Everton Shareholders Association, was last night unanimously adopted as the Association’s candidate for the vacancy on the Everton F.C., board, caused by the death of Mr. R. Turnbull. Mr. Denaro who is a trade union official, was narrowly defeated at the 1939 election, and although nominated in 1942 withdrew in order to avoid a war-time contest. The Shareholders Association also passed a resolution asking the board to call an extra-ordinary meeting to consider, the advisability of reverting to the old system of voting namely one vote up to twenty shares and two for any number above that, instead of the present system of one vote one share. Part of the resolution read “We desire to draw attention to the fact that one of the directors has in the past few years acquired an extremely large number of shares and in our opinion this can have one purpose that is voting power. We view the situation with grave apprehension and if this policy is allowed to continue it can only result in the fortunes and destiny of the Everton Club being in the hands of one persons; which is not in the best interests of the club. It was also decided to send a deputation to Mr. W. C. Cuff, president of the Football league and ex-chairman of Everton, asked his advice.
Tom Lawton, England and Everton centre forward, who has been nursing a slightly pulled thigh muscle for the past fortnight and who was a bit doubtful whether he would be fit for the game against Scotland on Saturday came through a severe test at Goodison Park yesterday without the slightest twings. He is now certain to lead the visiting attack at Hampden Park.

April 12, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Mr. Albert N. Denaro, President of the Everton F.C Shareholders Association has been elected the Association’s candidate for the vacancy on the Everton board of directors. Mr. Denaro, who is an official of the Carter’s Union and a J.P. was selected at last night’s meeting of the Shareholders Association. Mr. Denaro was nominated three years ago, but withdrew to avoid an election leaving Messrs W.C. Cuff President of the Football League; R.E. Searle and the late R.R. Turnbull to be returned unopposed. Another important decision last night was has asking the Board to call to call an extraordinary general meeting to revert to the old order of voting –namely holders of up to 20 shares one vote holders of 20 or more two votes. This decision will cause some controversy, for, curiously enough, it was the Association which demanded and secured the change in the voting system giving one vote per share. That was on August 12, 1938 by 346 votes to 115 –one more than the unnecessary two-thirds majority. Even if the Board accidents to the Association’s request. It will not be easy to revert to the old system of voting for the decision must be made on the “One-share-one-vote” principle with a two-third majority.
Winger’s Return
Everton will have two new wingers, for their match with Wrexham in the Football League at Goodison Park on Saturday, Syd Rawlings, who has been assisting his own club, Millwall in recent weeks, returns to outside-right and Wally Boyes the English international, who played for Wrexham last Saturday with conspicuous success, returns to outside-left in place of Makin. Rawlings displaces Bentham, who reverts to his own position of inside right. Jack Humphreys continues at centre-half and Cecil Wyles at centre-forward. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Rawlings, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, Boyes.
Wrexham who have signed George Simmonds, a 21-year-old inside forward from London, as a professional, will have Matt Armstrong of Aberdeen, leading their attack. Armstrong scored four goals for the Dons last Saturday. Dix and Bremner will also be on duty. Wrexham; Whitelaw; Jones, Milburns; Lloyd, Tudor, Bellis; Hancock, Dix, Armstrong, Bremner, Watson.
Everton Reserves go to Marine who aspect to include Tommy King who played for Everton first team last Saturday. Everton Reserves; Leigh; Shaw, McDonnell; Melling, Rees, R.L. Doyle; Lowe, Ashley, Booth, Greatbanks, Taylor, Wootton. Marine; Foster; O’Mahoney, Welsby; Edwards, Dachler, McPeaks; Craig, Birtles (or King), Curran, Fenton, Bretton.
Everton Colts (v. Bebington League at The Ovall); Gardiner; T. Jones, Rankin; Christian, Cookson, Tansey; Heath, Kitchingman, Qualie, G. Hannah, Myers.

April 12, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Shareholders Adopt Their candidate
Allegation that a large number of shares have been acquired in recent years by one director of Everton F.C. with the view to increasing his voting powers were made at a meeting of the Everton Shareholders Association last evening. In a memorandum to the board which was signed by most of those present at the meeting it was stated “We view this situation with grave appreciation and if this policy is allowed to continue it can only have one result that the fortunes and destination of the Everton club will be in the hands of one person, which is not in the best interest of the club. The memorandum also incorpated a request to the board to call an extradinary meeting of shareholders with the object of obtaining their same hold to a revelation to the old method of voting –namely one vote for anything up to twenty shares and two votes for any number over twenty and this was passed unanimously. A deputation was appointed to visit Mr. W. C.Cuff President off the Football League and ex-chairman of Everton, asking his advice. On the question of a shareholders candidate to contest and vacancy on the board through the death of Mr. Turnbull, Mr. A.N. Denaro was unanimously adopted. Mr. Denaro has been a life-long supporter of Everton and when he stood as a shareholder committee in 1939 he was narrowly defeated. He was nominated again in 1942, but withdrew in order to avoid a contest and promote harmony on the board. The retiring candidates are Merrs W.C. Cuff, and R.E. Searle.
Everton’s Team
Everton will have Humphreys at centre half for their return League game with Wrexham at Goodison Park on Saturday. Wyles deputises for Lawton, on deputy at Hampden Park. Rawlings returns at outside right with Bentham the oppose flank. Team; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Rawlings, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, Boyes.

April 13, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
I think Everton will continue tomorrow their onward march to a championship success which at the moment, is well within sight despite the four point lead held by Derby County. Everton have a fine chance of completing a nice “double” over Wrexham at Goodison Park following a 2-1 success at the Racecourse. I know it is asking something to overcome the star-studded side Mr. Tom Williams is bring along, but Everton are playing good football, and with Cecil Wyles proving such an opportunists, they are liable to beat any side. Wrexham will have Dix and Bremner, the Scottish international, at inside forward, and Matt Armstrong, the Aberdeen centre forward who scored four for his own club last week, will lead the line. On their last visit to Goodison the Welshmen managed to force a draw after establishing a 2-1 lead at the interval but I doubt their ability to repeat that partial success. Wally Boyes returns to the Blues’ attack after a run with Wrexham last Saturday, and Everton will joyous welcome back Syd Rawlings, who played for Millwall at Wembley a week ago. This should prove a grand match, and producing Everton’s 13th victory on the Championship No 2. The kick-off is at three o’clock. Teams;- Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Rawlings, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, Boyes. Wrexham; Whitelaw; Jones, Milburns; Lloyd, Tudor, Bellis; Hancock, Dix, Armstrong, Bremner, Watson.

April 13, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
As Everton were able to beat Wrexham at the Racecourse a week ago –they should certainly win the return game at Goodison Park, even without the assistance of Lawton. The return of Humphreys to the centre half position has brought greater strength to the Everton defence, and with Wyles popping up with his goals to Goodison Parkers should score another double. Wrexham have fallen from their high estate recently, but given the opportunity and of course a reasonably representative team, they can make it hot for any opposition. Lack of finishing power has been their great failing in the past few weeks. If they can hit upon a strong attack which can finish off their approach work Everton may not have it all their own way. Teams;- Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Rawlings, Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, Boyes. Wrexham; Whitelaw; Jones, Milburns; Lloyd, Tudor, Bellis; Hancock, Dix, Armstrong, Bremner, Watson.

April 14, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Three for Wyles
For the return game with Everton at Goodison Park this afternoon, Wrexham had to make three changes in their selected side, four positions being affected. In defence, Milburn was absent, and Lloyd moved over to right back, Jefferson coming in as his partner. Dix and Armstrong were missing from the attack, and the visitors introduced their latest professional, Simmons at inside right, while Baines led the line. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Wrexham; Whitelaw, goal; Lloyd, and Jefferson (Queens Park rangers), backs; Jones, Tudor, and Bellis, half-backs; Hancock (Walsall), Simmons, Baines (Bath City), Bremner (Arsenal), and Watson, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmon (Stoke). Everton immediately moved to the attack through Stevenson, but finally Boyes allowed the ball to run behind. Wrexham replied through their right wing pair, but Greenhalgh intervened to put Everton once again on the move. The game had been going only three minutes when Stevenson moved up on the left and completely misled the Wrexham defence, when he swung the ball across to Rawlings, who promptly headed it back in front of goal. Wyles gathered smartly, and though Whitelaw got his hands to his rising cross shot, he was unable to stay its progress and the ball had actually crossed the line near the far post when Stevenson, following in, headed into the net to make doubly sure. There was no question, however, that Wyles was the scorer.
Two Goals Lead
When Wyles made a short transfer to Stevenson, temporarily at inside right, the Irishman made a terrific low-drive which Whitelaw brilliantly turned aside for a corner at full length. Everton maintained the upper hand, and the tenth minute they went further ahead. Wyles, lying no more than ten yards over the half-way line and over to the left swept the ball up the middle beyond the Wrexham backs and Bentham unattended, darted through to defeat Whitelaw from short range. Wrexham became more settled, and Jackson, checking Wilson, had to concede a corner on the left. This was taken by Bremner, whose kick was turned goalwards by Baines, but Burnett had positioned himself and made a clean catch from among a crowd of players. At the other end, Whitelaw was called into action to save from Bentham, who tried his luck from 25 yards. Bentham swept the ball out to the right and Rawlings, after rounding Jefferson, made a centre close to goal for Wyles to drive forward and connect with the ball very cleverly. The ball hit Whitelaw on the legs, and he had to be quick in falling on it to effect a clearance. Wrexham, in their occasional attacks, showed plenty of life, without however, being convincing in their finishing. Watson, however, once beat Jackson cleverly, and from his centre Baines headed goalwards, but the ball went straight to Burnett, who saved. Everton once more asserted themselves, and Bentham, receiving from Rawlings, placed the ball perfectly up the middle, for Stevenson to defeat Whitelaw with a low shot to make Everton three up at the 26th minute. The Wrexham goal had a narrow escape following a clever interpassing bout between Rawlings and Stevenson. Rawlings finally made a cross-shot which Whitelaw saved at full length. The ball, however turned back in front goal, and Wyles, with the gaping goal in front of him, sent wide.
Picture Goal
Everton went further ahead at the 38th minute by means of a picture goal worked from beyond the half-way line and the ball was in the net without a single visiting player making contact. The movement started when Rawlings made a square centre for Grant to run on. He sent through to Bentham, who, with Jefferson coming in to tackle, steered the ball up the middle to Wyles who made a stinging shot on the run. Whitelaw got his foot to the ball, but it shot up into the net.
Half-time; Everton 4, Wrexham 0
Soon after the resumption Hancock was sent away by Baines. He finished with a high dropping shot close to goal and Burnett taking no chances booked the ball over the top for an unproductive corner. When Baines headed in from a centre from Hancock, Burnett did well to save. Shortly afterwards Wrexham were awarded with a goal, Baines heading through from a corner on the right at the 60th minute. This point heartened Wrexham and Hancock made a fast rising left foot shot which looked all over a goal, but Burnett jumped up to turn the ball over the bar –a brilliant save. Everton reasserted themselves, and at the 67th minute they added a fifth goal. Stevenson, Bentham and Rawlings collaborated before Rawlings put the ball across for Wyles to score. Wrexham were awarded a penalty when Watson was brought down by Jackson, and Hancock converted at the 85th minute. Wrexham kept pegging away, and three minutes later narrowed the margin still further through Simmons . Final; Everton 5, Wrexham 3.

April 14, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Wrexham; Whitelaw, goal; Lloyd, and Jefferson (Queens Park rangers), backs; Jones, Tudor, and Bellis, half-backs; Hancock (Walsall), Simmons, Baines (Bath City), Bremner (Arsenal), and Watson, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmon (Stoke). At Goodison Park, teams and crowd stood in silence for one minute as a tribute to the late President Roosevelt. In ten minutes Everton were two goals to the good. The first came at four minutes, when Wyles scored after a brilliant more started by Stevenson carried on by Rawlings, and completed by the centre forward. A nice forward pass from Wyles gave Bentham his chance at 10 minutes, and Whitelaw had little opportunity to stop the shot from only three or four yards out. Wrexham’s only thrust came from a move in which Barnes and the new professional Simmons, were concerned. A corner was forced and Baines headed it eight into Burnett’s hands. Following a brief spell of attack by Wrexham, who forced three corners in quick succession, Everton took another goal. Stevenson was the scorer at the 28th minute following nice combination between Watson and Bentham. Everton continued to play vastly superior football, and Wyles scored their fourth goal after 38 minutes.
Half-time –Everton 4, Wrexham 0
After 60 minutes play Baines headed Wrexham’s first goal form a corner. Seven minutes later Wyles scored Everton’s fifth, and at the 80th minute Wrexham got a second goal when Hancock scored from a penalty after Jackson had brought down Watson in the area. Final; Everton 5, Wrexham 3.

April 16, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 5, Wrexham 3
Everton have always been kind to weaker opponents, and sometimes have paid the penalty of this appeasement policy” by losing the game. They nearly did it again at Goodison Park on Saturday against Wrexham. After leading 4-0 they let Wrexham in to score a goal quickly nagatived it by scoring their own fifth, but when the visitors gained two more to make the score 5-3 found themselves very hard pressed to keep the score at that figure. Fortunately in doing this sort of things the Everton team serve up really delightful football even if their finishing is indecisive and on Saturday no one could complain about the quality of the play. It was evident in the first few minutes that the home side had an easy task, and it was not surprising that goals came quickly –Wyles (4 minutes), Bentham (10), Stevenson (28), and Wyles (38), was the first half toll it could easily have been eight. Meanwhile Wrexham came into –the picture spasmodically chiefly through Watson and Baines their best raiders. In the second half the home team tip-tapped to one another, and even the stolid defence faltered so that Baines scored for Wrexham at the hour. Although this was cancelled out by another Wyles goal, the visitors had visions of snatching a sensational victory, when Hancock scored form a penalty at the 80th minutes and Simmons their new professional, added another three minutes later. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Rawlings (Millwall), Bentham, Wyles, Stevenson, and Boyes, forwards. Wrexham; Whitelaw, goal; Lloyd, and Jefferson (Queens Park Rangers), backs; Jones, Tudor, and Bellis, half-backs; Hancock (Walsall), Simmons, Baines (Bath City), Bremner (Arsenal), and Watson, forwards. Referee; Mr. G. Salmon (Stoke).
• Everton Reserves drew 4-4 at Marine
• Liverpool beat Manchester City 3-1, Taylor, Welsh (2), Herd, for Manchester City
• England beat Scotland 6-1, at Hampden Park, Mercer and Lawton played for England, Lawton scoring one goal.

April 16, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The shock defeat of Derby County in the cup was received with a joy at Everton for it enabled the Blues rampant for League honours to get within two points of the leaders, the Everton lads having supplemented their tally by a 5-3 win over Wrexham to complete another “double.” But for the old inclination to ease up the win would have been more pronounced writes my observer at the game. Everton took the bit between their teeth in the opening minutes when Wyles scored, and never lost it until the game had been well won. Bentham, Stevenson, and Wyles got first half goals, and after Baines had reduced Wyles scored again before Hancock improved a penalty, and near the end Simmons, quite a promising newcomer to Wrexham, scored their thrill. Everton played some glorious football in the first half, and throughout had that little extra something which made all the difference. Power at half back, with Grant again outstanding was the basic reason for Everton’s 13th win in the competition. Considering that Everton now play Southport twice, have their games with Tranmere, and possibly other Lancashire Cup-ties, it looks as if they may gain honours.

April 19, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton name 13 players for their visit to Southport in the second round of the Lancashire Cup first “leg”. They include the eleven which defeated Wrexham with the additional of Harry Catterick, and George Makin. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; (from) Rawlings, Bentham, Wyles, Catterick, Stevenson, Boyes, Makin.
The Everton F.C. followers who have an interest in the many good youngsters being brought along should not miss the opportunity of seeing the Blues lively Colts in action at Goodison Park on Saturday. I can assure you that Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly has some highly-promising material among these youngsters and with powerful opposition being provided by the Shaftesbury Boys’ Club one of the most successful in the Wirral, the entertainment is bound to be of a high standard. The kick-off is at 3.15 p.m. Everton Colts; Melrose; T. Jones, Rankin; Christian, Cookson, Tansey; MaCaulay, Kitchingman, Qualie, G. Hannah, Myers.

April 19, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
It’s an ill wind that blows nobody a grit of good, and Liverpool’s success in the League Cup has meant that Southport despite a 5-0 defeat by the Reds in the first round of the Lancashire Cup, now take part in the second round. Liverpool having to scratch. Southport are at home in the round to Everton on Saturday and will be fortunate if their can hold the Blues to a result which will still give the Sandrounders a “smell” when they play the return at Goodison Park. The match carries League championship points as well, of course and for that reason Everton must go all out for victory in order to preserve their challenge for leading place. The teams will be chosen from the same eleven players as last week, plus Catterick and Makin. Viz- Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; (from) Rawlings, Bentham, Wyles, Catterick, Stevenson, Boyes, Makin.

April 20, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have a duel-purpose visit to Haig-Avenue tomorrow to tackle Southport, for they not only strive for a spot in the Lancashire Cup semi-final but are dead set on bringing the League Championship No 2 to Merseyside. What a “double” it would be were the Blues and Reds to win the two remaining major trophies. Everton are only two points behind the leaders, Derby County. Everton should, by all their reckoning, get four points from Southport and if so they will be sitting pretty besides having that Lancashire Cup interest. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson, Boyes.
Everton Vacancy
There is a strong possibility of with-drawals from the “field” in the running for the vacancy on the Everton F.C. directorate in an effort not to subject Mr. W.C. Cuff, president of the Football League, who comes up for re-election, to the indignity of an election after his fifty years and more of service to the club. Mr. F.W. Lake and Mr. A.L. Denaro have been nominated and a new nominee is Mr. T.E. Nuttall, of Mughull, a Liverpool produce dealer, and friends of the late Mr. R.R. Turnbull, whose death created the vacancy.

April 20, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s visit to Southport in the second round in the Lancashire Cup is a vital game for the Blues, who must make every post a winning post from now on if they are so overhaul their rivals in the race for the League Championship. Everton are two points behind Derby County for the same number of games played, and a point in front of Liverpool, but a factor which some have overlooked is that Liverpool may yet get bonus points for two unplayed games, which would make all this difference. Everton, though again without Lawton, will field a strong side at Haig Avenue, and ought to win. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Grant, Humphreys, Watson; (from) Rawlings, Bentham, Wyles, Catterick, Stevenson, Boyes, Makin.
Everton Candidate
Following on the nomination of Mr. A.N. Denaro and Mr. F. Lake for the vacancy on the Everton F.C. board, another well-known local sportsman has been nominated in Mr. Tom Nuttall, forever secretary and chairman of Windsor Athletic (Zingan League). Mr. Nuttall, a staunch Evertonian for many years was a close friend of the late Mr. R. Turnbull and helped the latter in his election campaign. He is in the general produce business and resides at Maghull. At least one other nomination is likely to be forthcoming before the lists closed on may 1, which would make with the two retiring directors Mr. W. C. Cuff and Mr. R. Searle. Six candidates for three vacancy.

April 21, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It would come as a surprise were there sensational developments regarding the vacancy on the Everton directorate before nomination day –May 1. Already they are four candidates in the field apart from the retiring directors Mr. W.C. Cuff, president of the Football League, and Mr. R.E. Searle, but there may be another. Were the person I have in mind nominated it might mean the avoidance of an election by bringing about the withdrawals I have said are possible I know that one candidate is not keen to go for an election unless particularly pressed. However, the Everton directors will discuss the matter fully at their meeting next Wednesday, and I do hope they find a solution. Whatever happens it is a certainty that Mr. Cuff and Mr. Searle will be returned with the best wishes of the shareholders. The shareholders Association have already pledged themselves as in full support of Mr. Cuff –a nice gesture. At Wednesday’s meeting, too, the board will discuss the memorandum presented by the Shareholders Association asking for a reversion to the old system of voting, but I doubt whether anything can be done to alter the one-share-one vote clear-cut idea of the present system. However, a requisition is a requisition and so it would got to the vote.

April 21, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton had Dugdale, in place of Greenhalgh in defence, and Southport introduced Mutch, of Preston North End, in their Lancashire Cup meeting at Haig Avenue, to-day. Southport;- Birkett, (Everton), goal; Hodgson and Thompson, backs; Thorpe, Lunn, and Simpkins, half-backs; Conway, Mutch (Preston), Coates, Oakes, and Banks, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Dugdale, backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. G.H. Fell (Bury). A neat movement by the Everton left wing caused trouble to the home defence and only a clever clearance by Lunn prevented Stevenson from getting in a shot. Everton were much faster on the ball and their attack worked quickly and shot frequently. On one occasion Wyles raced through the home defence and managed to find the net, but the referee ruled offside. In the Everton defence Humphreys intervened smartly when Conway and Mutch combined in a clever-run that worked good position for Coats, but the Everton centre-half managed to get the better of the home leader to save what looked like being an awkward situation. Everton had a couple of chances which should have led to goals first when Wyles broke through only to fore on the wrong side of the post, and when Catterick and Stevenson troubled the home defences to give Stevenson a gilt-edged chance, but he, too shot wide of the mark.
Opening Goal
In 15 minutes Everton took the lead, when a full-line movement gave Catterick the chance which he promptly took. The ball struck the upright before entering the net. Everton continued to attack, but their shooting left much to be desired, Wyles when he broke away, delayed too long, and Thompson robbed him in front of goal. A couple of corners failed to take Everton any nearer scoring, though there were exciting passages in the home goalmouth. Burnett had a great deal to do, but he showed clever anticipation when Coates was working in from the penalty area, by running out and kicking away from the Southport leader’s toes before Coates could get in his shot. Everton second goal came at the end of 25 minutes, when Catterick made a clever break through lifted the ball over Birkett’s back into the net. Everton were by far the superior attacking force, and a third goal came after 33 minutes when Jackson, who had worked to do, centred and Hodgson headed into his own goal.
Half-time; Southport 0, Everton 3
Catterick scored a fourth goal for Everton after 52 minutes after good work from Bentham had struck the post of the Southport goal. Boyes scored a fifth goal for Everton after 83 minutes. Final; Southport 0, Everton 5.

April 21, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Southport;- Birkett, (Everton), goal; Hodgson and Thompson, backs; Thorpe, Lunn, and Simpkins, half-backs; Conway, Mutch (Preston), Coates, Oakes, and Banks, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Dugdale, backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. G.H. Fell (Bury). Everton opened with a smart attack in the Lancashire Cup second round tie but Boyes sent tamely behind in attempting to centre. Conway the Southport right winger, did likewise to spoil a promising home move. Stevenson found his full-blood drive from close in speed the wrong side of the crossbar. Bentham and Wyles were showing some neat combination, and after 15 minutes Catterick gave Everton the lead the ball going in off an upright. Boyes supplied a nice opening for Catterick to help himself to another well taken goal to put Everton two up in 25 minutes. Everton went further ahead in 33 minutes, Hodgson heading into his own goal in trying to divert a shot from Stevenson.
Half-time; Southport nil, Everton 3.
Mutch and Banks initiated well-combined moves which put Coates in a good scoring position, but his first time drive was well held by Burnett. Everton were four up in 52 minutes Catterick tapping the ball through from almost on the goal line after Birkett had pulled down, but failed to hold a stinging drive from Bentham. Southport’s finishing was not good enough to trouble Burnett, although Coats and Conway went close with good efforts. Everton forwards almost invariably gave Birkett a warm handful whenever an attack developed. Finishing was the main difference between the sides. Final; Southport nil, Everton 5.

April 23, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Southport 0, Everton 5
Southport Lack Precision
Although Everton were much the better side in this second round Lancashire Senior Cup-tie at Haig Avenue. Southport played quite well up to a punt and did not deserve to be beaten by so big a margin as 5-0. Had they shown anything like Everton’s precision in finishing Southport might have had a fighting chance of further Cup progress in the return game. Everton never wasted opportunities to get in a shot at goal and most of the scoring efforts were on the mark. This was the main difference between the sides. The Everton halves and forwards delighted with the artistry of their passing and from two well worked moves Catterick scored in the 15th and 25th minutes. Then Hodgson the home right back headed into his own goal, to put Everton three up in trying to divert a shot from Stevenson, and Southport faced the second half with little prospects of gaining equality.
A Southport Rally
Catterick had an easy task in adding a fourth goal after 52 minutes. Subsequently Southport rallied for Coats and Conway to get in good scoring efforts, but Burnett was sound enough to deny consolation goals. Boyes with a clever individual effort completed the scoring in 83 minutes, and but for smart goalkeeping by Birkett, Everton would have increased their lead in the closing stages. Southport;- Birkett, (Everton), goal; Hodgson and Thompson, backs; Thorpe, Lunn, and Simpkins, half-backs; Conway, Mutch (Preston), Coates, Oakes, and Banks, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Dugdale, backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. G.H. Fell (Bury).
• Liverpool drew with Chesterfield 0-0.

April 23, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton, who by their brilliant 5-0 win over Southport at Haig Avenue, have become joint leaders of the Northern League, with Derby County. The County have a shade better goal average -2.23 against 2.09 –but by next Saturday I expected the Blues to be bang on top in an ideal position for success. Everton have decided to put on a double feature show at Goodison Park on Saturday for immediately following the Southport game, and for no extra admission charge the Everton Colts –and a grand little team –will oppose the Bebington League reprehensive side. These boys are well worth watching. The Blues Colts defeated Shaftesbury 4-2 on Saturday, the game being married by an early injury to Jimmy Tansey, the 16-year-old half-back, who fell and broke an arm. Tansy is the younger brother of the popular amateur light-heavyweight champion Percy-Officer Jack Tansey, who wrote to Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly asking for a trial for Jimmy only to learn that his “kid brother” already was helping the Blues. Everton’s win at Southport was rarely in doubt on a pleasant trip during which the Goodison party linked up with old friendly rivals in ex-Liverpool star Arthur Riley and Tommy Bradshaw, who I saw looking so well at Anfield recently, and on which the Everton directors –Messrs W.C. Gibbons (chairman), Ernest Green, George Evans, Tom Percy and Dickie Williams –were delighted with the display of Lieutenant Gordon Dugdale deputising for Greenhalgh. Gordon joined Everton from school and this was his first game for any of the teams except the Colts. And Gordon now in the Royal Navy, played like a veteran, proving he is a fine prospect for the future. There was little wrong with the Everton, with Bentham the pick of the punch. Wyles a big success at outside right; Boyes right at his best, Jackson and Watson, their usual sound selves; Humphreys, Grant and Stevenson working well in the general scheme; Catterick the born opportunist –he got three goals –and Burnett having quite a comfortable time. Boyes got a goal and the ball which Hodgson headed back to his own goal was not just over the line until Stevenson kicked it, and so Stevenson gets the goal, just as it was Stevenson and not Wyles who scored the first goal against Wrexham the previous week. Southport always played gallantly, but lacked Everton’s work and finishing power. Should V Day fall in the football season, it is suggested that the second “leg” of the Liverpool Cup Final between Everton and Tranmere should be played in celebration. The first “leg” is on Whit-Monday.

April 23, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s 5-0 victory over Southport in the first leg of the second round of the Lancashire Cup makes Everton’s semi-final appearance virtually certain. It also put them level on point, with Derby at the head of the League table but with a slightly inferior goal average. Everton combined artistic football with solid marksmanship, and only the fine goalkeeping of Birkett prevented a heavier bag. Though Southport’s midfield play was good their poor finishing nullified it.

April 24, 1945. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
An election for the vacancy on the Everton Football Club directorate is now almost inevitable. The directors have still to discuss the situation but I think you may accept it that they will adhere strictly to their policy of leaving it entirely to the shareholders. The possibility of a prominent Merseyside sportsman being nominated as I hinted in the earlier editions, has faded. The person in question will not be nominated. This will leave the “field” for the three seats as follows;- Mr. Williams C. Cuff, President of the Football League and Mr. R.E. Searle, retiring directors seeking re-election; Messrs J. Carson, A. Denaro, P.W. Lake and T. Nuttall. Nominations do not close, however, until next Tuesday.
Everton’s Chance.
Goals just as much as points can bring the League North Championship No.2 to Everton. At the moment the Blues are level with derby County, but with a slight inferior goal average, I have little doubt that Everton can defeat Southport again at Goodison Park on Saturday, but they need to do so as convincingly as they won at Haig-Avenue. On the following Saturday the Blues play Accrington Stanley and Everton, naturally hope Liverpool War Cup committee will allow the Blues to have a home game. The championship will be decided on May 5 for although the season does not end until May 26, the extended period is for county cup semi-finals and finals and charity matches only. So there are only two match days to go. Some people have asked whether or not clubs having games in hand of Everton and Derby County will be allowed a percentage of points for unplayed games. I can tell you that they will not. In the past two seasons Championship No 2 has been decided on a clear-cut points basis. It was different in 1942, but in 1943 when Liverpool won nothing was allowed. Manchester City who finished third for a game less played than Liverpool. Similarly Birmingham –fourth –received no” bonus” points for an unplayed game last season when Bath City were champions. So the followers of Liverpool must say “Goodbye” to any chance of a Cup and League double. The Reds are only two points behind the leaders for two matches less played. Liverpool could succeed were Everton and Derby to lose their final two games, but that is improbable.
Stan Bentham the Everton inside-right, has been appointed coach to the Newton-Le-Willows Cricket Club this season. Stan is an exceptionally good cricket.

April 25, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
I understand Everton’s board have turned down the request of the Shareholders Association for a special meeting to consider reverting of the old method of totting. I don’t think it matters greatly because there would still be nothing to stop shareholders spiting their holding into small sections nominally held by folk whose support would be automatic, which in the long run, comes to pretty much the same as the present one share-one-vote system. Don’t be surprised if Mr. W.C. Cuff is invited to resume the reins as Everton’s chairman. Will Gibbins has filled the post admirably for some years now, but it was a job he never flickered after. It was thrust upon him by circumstances and though I speak without authority and give only my own reading of the situation I should imagine he would be pleased and relieved to pass on the task to his former “chief.” Mr. Cuff shortly celebrates his 50th year with Everton, for he was first elected to the board in 1895. He was given a lifetime by invariable service to the club, which is as dear to his heart as ever it was and though he carries a heavy load as president of the League he might not be averse to adding a little more to the burden, which he shoulders amazingly lightly for a man of his years. The committee of the Everton shareholders Association has called another meeting for Monday 7 (7.30) at the Stork Hotel to consider the best interest of shareholders how to protect them. A cordial invitation is extended to all Everton shareholders whether members of the association or not.

April 26, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have named thirteen probables for their return Lancashire Cup-tie second round against Southport, at Goodison Park. Lawton is among them, and if he plays it will be only the seventh appearance for Everton is four months due to the frequency of representative calls. Greenhalgh is a doubtful starter, in case of need his place will be taken by Dugdale. Team from; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; (or Dugdale); Grant, Hmphreys, Watson; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick,Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes. Immediately the cup-tie is over spectators get the chance without charge for seeing Everton’s fine Colt side in opposition to a representative Bebington League eleven. Teams; Everton Colts; J.A. Jones; T. Jones, G. Rankin; J. Makin, McQualie, or Downes, Christian, Richardson, Kitchingman, Macadley, G. Hannah, Myers. Bebington League; Davies; Wyone, Wilson; Bryne, Heydon, Beardmore, Thomas, Abernethy, McEwan, Louden, Robinson.

April 27, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
At Goodison Park there will be a double feature programme for Everton Lancashire Cup second “leg” with Southport will be followed by the Colts and Bebington League game. The Lancashire Cup-tie stands 5-0 in Everton’s favour and the Port cannot have much hope of qualifying to meet Accrington Stanley in the semi-final. However, it behoves Everton to win as convincing as last week for every possible goal is a vital necessary to the club if the championship club is to adorn the Goodison sideboard. Only goal average keeps Everton off the top rung, and the scoring of goals in home games becomes an essential. There is a chance that Tommy Lawton will have recovered from the many knocks received on the Continent, but Harry Catterick stands by for service in any inside forward spot. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh (or Dugdale); Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.
The Western Command team against Everton-Liverpool at Goodison Park on Wednesday will be fairbrother; (Preston North End); Sproston (Manchester City), Jefferson (Queen’s Park Rangers); Wright (Wolves), Suart (Blackpool), Harris (Birmingham), Hancocks (Walsall), Dix (Tottenham), Durant (Brentford), Bremner (Arsenal), White (Preston).

April 27, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s progress to the Lancashire Cup semi-final seems as near good as anything can be. For they start their Goodison Park return against Southport with five goals in hand. Under such circumstances Everton are often tempted to go in for exhibition stiff and forget all about goals. I hope they won’t do that tomorrow, for this game stands on its own in the League Championship reckoning and a win is vital if Everton are to have a chance of over-taking Derby County. Their aim must be to go all out for goals from the first minute. The time to ease off if at all is when the game is well won, not before. I don’t think there’s much doubt about the outcome. Lawton is unlikely to play. He is still suffering from the hard knocks he got in the Belgium game last week-end. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh (or Dugdale); Grant, Humphreys, Watson; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Lawton, Stevenson, Boyes.

April 28, 2012. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Drawn Game
Lawton had not recovered from his injuries and Everton had Catterick as centre forward for the return game against Southport at Goodison Park today. Greenhalgh was available, and in the Southport side Oaks and Mutch changed places in the attack, while Kirkham came in as left back for Thompson. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Southport; Birkett (Everton), goal; Curwen (Everton) and Kirkham, backs; Thorpe, Hodgson and Simpkiss, half-backs; Conway, Mutch (Preston), Oakes, Underhill and Banks, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Spronston. The game opened with Everton making the running by clever interpassing work. A clever individual effort by Stevenson created prospects of a goal, but when he finally slipped the ball to Curwen, Boyes was given off-side. Southport made their first move on the left, and when Banks from long range, sent the ball sailing goalwards, Burnett had to be alert in order to field the ball as it bounced high up close to goal. Southport had a fair share of the exchanges and they had a chance of taking the lead when, following a centre to Banks, Greenhalgh heading away sent the ball direct to Oakes, who was lying unmarked and should have done better than head side. A mis-kick by Kirkham let in Catterick, but Birkett came racing out and Catterick in trying to dribble past the goalkeeper, stumbled over Birkett’s body and the ball passed harmlessly behind for an unproductive corner. The first real shot of the match did not materialise until the game had been going more than 15 minutes, and then Bentham, receiving from Stevenson, let go a full blooded shot which Birkett with up stretched right hand, turned against the bar and the ball rebounded to be cleared.
Opened Goal
At the 20th minute Everton went ahead by means of an unusual type of goal. Stevenson sent a free kick out to the extreme left, where Catterick had taken up position and he made a square centre which Kirkham headed back across his own goal. Birkett came out to punch away, but was beaten to the ball by Wyles who headed cleverly into the net. After Burnett had made a save from Thorpe, Catterick sent in Stevenson, but now he shot straight at Birkett who saved with ease. Grant took on a forward role momentarily and from his centre Bentham headed in, but Birkett made a clean catch under the angle of the bar. When Stevenson received an unexpected chance, after Bentham had charged down a clearance by Hodgson, he was not more than eight yards from front of goal and unmarked, but he sent the ball sailing high and wide. Mutch, the Preston player, tied his luck from 35 yards and Burnett had all his work cut out to leap across his goal and take the ball high up in the left hand angle. This was quite the best Southport effort in the first half-hour’s play. The Everton goal had a lucky escape when Mutch only half hit an intended shot with his left foot. The ball went away from Burnett, who dived at it. The ball hit the inside of the upright, fell against the prone body of Burnett and was trickling along the goal line when Jackson stepped in to clear. Just before the interval Grant moved up on the right and from his centre close to goal, Catterick headed goalwards and with Birkett out of goal, Hodgson headed away to prevent a certain score.
Half-time –Everton 1, Southport 0.
Soon after the resumption, Hodgson nearly deflected a Boyes centre into his own goal, the ball hitting the angle of the goal, with Birkett in no position to save. The rebound was cleared. The only incident of note in the early stages of the second half was provided by a 35 yards’ free kick taken by Stevenson, the ball flashing inches wide of the upright. Slackness in the home defence enabled Mutch to sweep through from just beyond the half-way line and defeat Burnett, when the second half had been going 22 minutes. Burnett actually got his hand to the low drive, but could not prevent it from travelling into the net. Everton moved Wyles to centre forward and Catterick to the wing. Almost immediately this change looked like bearing fruit, for Wyles went sailing through from a pass by Stevenson and was out of luck with a drive, which crashed against the upright and rebounded into play to be cleared. Thrills came quickly at this point for Southport almost immediately came within an ace of obtaining a leading goal when Banks headed in, but Burnett cleverly put the ball over the bar. Final; Everton 1, Southport 1.

April 28, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Southport Finish Gamely
By Stork.
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Southport; Birkett (Everton), goal; Curwen (Everton) and Kirkham, backs; Thorpe, Hodgson and Simpkiss, half-backs; Conway, Mutch (Preston), Oakes, Underhill and Banks, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Spronston. Everton, with a handsome lead over Southport in the second leg of their Lancashire Cup-tie with Southport were able to indulge in pretty football –effective football, too-although they never really tested the Southport goalkeeper. Bentham was put through, but he did not hit the ball fight, and another shot was scooped well over the crossbar. Stevenson is not likely to assist Everton again this session, for he felts me he is due for overseas service next week. Lawton did not play because of his injured thigh, which had not fully recovered. Everton defence had to get together to withstand Southport pressure, but the nearest to a goal came when Catterick was through the Southport defence, but Birkett rushed out and saved the situation. A shot by Bentham was turned by Birkett on to his crossbar the ball returning back into play. That was a close thing. Some Southport’s midfield play was of good quality but there was no denying the class of Everton. At 20 minutes Everton took the lead by a rather curious goal. Catterick had gone out to the left wing and made a good length centre, the ball being ballooned by a Southport defender. There seemed no danger. Birkett was calmly waiting for the ball to fall into his waiting hands, but could not have seen Wyles speak up “from nowhere” and head the ball into the net. Stevenson was twice through the opposition but once shot straight at Birkett and next screwed the ball wide. A long range shot by Mutch ended in Burnett making a good catch, but the Everton goal had a narrow escape when Underhill made a surprise shot. The ball hit the upright and turned up against Burnett who was just able to clear. Southport goal had an escape when a Catterick header was dropping into the net. Hodgson rushed in and headed over the bar. Half-time; Everton 1, Southport 1. Everton were six goals in advance on the tie but at 67 minutes Southport scored through a goal by Mutch. The scorer’s shot must have had much more behind it than seemed visible from the stand, for the ball fairly spun out of Burnett’s hands and into the net. At this point Southport were doing remarkably well. Wyles hit the post and then Banks headed under the bar and Burnett only got the ball away with his finger tips. Final; Everton 1, Southport 1.

April 30, 1945. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 1, Southport 1
Poor Game at Goodison
By Stork.
The second leg of the Lancashire cup-tie, second round, between Everton and Southport, at Goodison Park, did not reach a high standard. One of the reasons for this was that Everton held a five goals lead on the first game. When Everton are in this position they don’t seem to stress themselves, but are more inclined to treat the spectators with scientific football than “murder” their opponents. This easing up has sometimes cost them dearly. It did against Southport for they were only able to draw the game at one goal each. On the actual play they should have won well. They had the chances made by good class football; but their shooting was not on a par with their midfield play. Nevertheless they were complete masters during the first half, when Wyles scored a goal at twenty minutes when though Birkett was at fault.
“Thrill-less “Second Half
The second half was even more thrill-less than had been the first, but when Southport drew level through Mutch at 57 minutes it did bring some suggestion of fight into the proceedings and at one stage Southport looked the more dangerous side and Burnett had to save cleverly from bank’s header. Everton changed their centre-forwards in the hope that it would bring them further success, but try how they would they could not again pierce the Southport goal; although Wyles hit the upright and Hodgson Southport’s centre half in an effort to clear also headed up against the woodwork, but in the main, play was chiefly concerned in midfield, where Everton’s class was predominant, but such football does not win games as Everton found to their loss. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh (captain), backs; Grant, Humphreys, and Watson, half-backs; Wyles, Bentham, Catterick, Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Southport; Birkett (Everton), goal; Curwen (Everton) and Kirkham, backs; Thorpe, Hodgson and Simpkiss, half-backs; Conway, Mutch (Preston), Oakes, Underhill and Banks, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Spronston.
• Liverpool lost 1-0 to Chsterfield. Collins scored for Chesterfield.

Everton Footballer Was P.O.W.
Liverpool Evening Express - Monday 30 April 1945
Fred P. Sweeney, Northwich, the Everton outside-right, has returned home after being a prisoner of war in Germany for nearly two years. Sweeney played several times for Everton's first team. Everton have not received any word about their other prisoners of waróJohn Lyon and Billy Reed.

April 30, 1945. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Southport put up a galliant show at Goodison Park and were well worthy of their 1-1 draw. My observer assures me that Everton should have won the game early on with the number of chances which came their way, but that in the end the Blues had several lucky escapes. Southport were in no way “inferior” to Everton on the point of football craft and in fact, showed Everton how the game should be played on the floor. Stars of a not-too-thrilling game were the centre half-backs, Humphreys and Hodgson, while George Mutch had a fine game against the club he used to assist. It was Mutch who scored the equaliser after Wyles had given Everton the lead
Keen interest is being taken in Wednesday evening’s match at Goodison Park between a combined Everton and Liverpool eleven and the Western Command. Mr. Kelly and Liverpool Manager George Kay got together yesterday afternoon and selected the following “Liverton” team which looks exceptionally good. Burnett (Everton); Jackson (Everton), Gulliver (Liverpool); Kaye (Liverpool), Hughes (Liverpool), Watson (Everton); Campbell (Liverpool), Bentham (Everton), Wyles (Everton), Taylor (Liverpool), Boyes (Everton). Reserves Pillings and Shannon (Liverpool), Greenhalgh (Everton).

April 30, 1945. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
There was no power or punch in the Everton team in their Lancashire Cup-tie with Southport hence their failure to clinch the game. Everton should have taken they claim to a victory in the first half, but shooting was secondary to intricate football and when the time came for more assertive action as it did come with Southport’s equaliser they could not produce the ability to score. It was end of season soccer with an vengeance, plenty of tricky football in the open but few thrills. Even the two goals cored should have been saved. Birkett was calmly waiting for a ballooned ball to drop into his hands, it did not and there for Wyles squeaked up and headed it into the net. There must have been some spin on Mutch’s shot –a bonny one –for Burnett got his hands to the ball, but it spun out of his grip and went into the net. Burnett however after prevented a Southport victory when he cleverly turned over the bar a brilliant header by Banks. Hodgson was concerned in two of the biggest thrills when he headed over his bar from Catterick with everyone else beaten and when in trying to clear a Boyes effort he headed on to hit over the crossbar. Southport almost pulled the game out of the fire but it was not a game that will linger long in the memory.








April 1945