Everton Independent Research Data


Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald - Saturday 07 July 1923
Frank Jefferis the old Southampton, Everton and North End international inside right has been signed by Southport as player-coach. 

Hull Daily Mail - Thursday 26 July 1923
George Brewster the former Everton and Wolverhampton Wanderers' centre-half, has signed for Wallasey United.

Dundee Courier - Friday 03 August 1923
Alec Troup, the ex-Dundee winger, has returned to Everton to resume training, having spent the close season in Forfar.

August 11, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Hunter Hart has again chosen as captain of Everton with Chedgzoy as vice captain, and Reid will captain the Reserves.

August 13 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Despite the fact that the weather was more suitable to cricket, between fourteen and fifteen thousands spectators paid £450 (which goes to Charity) to witness the first of the Everton practice matches at Goodison Park, on Saturday. A really attractive game was witnessed, the players entering into the spirit of the fray in rare style at the outset and even if the pace slackened down towards the end owing to the heat the play served to show that Everton posses a capable set of exponents. The recognised League players, in blue opposed the reserve men, in white, and the latter gained the victory by 4 goals to 3. The Whites were decidedly the better team in the initial half when Miller scored in the first minute, following a brilliant movement down the right wing, Reid, Miller Parry, and Forbes participating. The latter scored two further goals as the result of fine centres from Parry. In the second portion the League team had more of the play, Irvine reducing the lead, while Chadwick put on a second and Cock a third. The shooting generally was good. Miller and Parry made a fine wing. These two players are bound to make an impression this season. The majority of the men appeared to be in first rate conditions and they indicated that they will probably do well when the serious work of the season begins. Williams twisted his ankle and limped badly, afterwards but the hurt is not expected to be troublesome. Downs and Chadwick collided heavily and were momentarily stunned, but they recovered all right. The ground was like a billiard table and reflected the greatest credit on groundsman Smith and his staff. The playing pitch must be one of the finest in the country. Teams : - Blues: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peaccock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Whites: - Harland, goal, Downs, and Livingstone backs, Brown, Reid (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Forbes, Williams and Harrison, forwards.

August 16 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Tommy Fleetwood, the general emergency man of the Everton team, was yesterday transferred to Oldham Athletic. Mr. Davie Ashworth was present at the practice match at Goodison Park on Saturday and lost no time in negotiating for Fleetwood's signature. Whilst approaching the veteran stages in years, Fleetwood is of the “war-horse” mould, and still able to last the full 90 minutes of a strenuous game. He should prove invaluable to the Latics in their fight reinstatement in the upper circle. Born at Kirby, he joined the Blues from Rochdale as an inside right, but was later placed at right-half, which position he has filled most frequently. Prior to the coming of McBain he was removed to centre-half, and demonstrated his capacity to fill that onerous berth. He is by no means a back number. He played in the Victory International at Goodison Park against Scotland in 1919.

August 16, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
A good crowd gathered at Goodison Park last evening for Everton's final public practice match, and as on Saturday, the Whites won, this time by a goal to nil. Thrills were frequent in the early stages, and Fern was called upon to save pile drivers from Harrison and Forbes. Play was very keen, and although in the later stages the pace began to lesson, it was not until after the interval that the goal was scored. Forbes netted after Duthie, a new man on trial from Vale of Leithen, had brought Fern full length with a fine effort from the right. Fern had more to do than his vis-à-vis, Harland, so far as dealing with direct shots was concerned, but both of their performances were splendid. Wall, making his first appearance since his injury, demonstrated that his leg was again sound, and made a good wing with Harrison. Duthie had rather a hard nut to crack facing and Rooney. Hart, but performed creditably, while of the half-backs Reid was as usual consistent, being ably assisted by his wingmen, Brown and Rooney. The Blues did not over-exert themselves, but confined themselves more to finesse than to go-ahead methods, and it was not until the reserves had taken the lead that they seriously endeavored to find the net. Then the reserves' defence, although at times lucky, held out in fine style, thus enabling the Whites to leave the field the victors. Teams: - Blues: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain) half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Whites: - Harland, goal, Caddick, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Reid (captain), and Rooney, half-backs, Parry, Duphie, Forbes, Wall, and Harrison, forwards.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Friday 17 August 1923
George Beare, the former Everton and Cardiff' City outside right, has arranged to go for a month's trial with Grimsby Town.

August 22 1923 Dundee Evening Telegraph
Everton Player for Fife Club. Lochgelly United made an important addition to their playing strength last night, when they signed Andrew Moffat, formerly of Everton Moffat, who belongs to Lochgelly, was prominent in school football and not long after leaving school joined the United. The following season he was with East Fife and from them was transferred to Everton. He received a leg injury there from which has completely recovered. When it was known that Moffat was free there was keen competition among Fife clubs for his services and he had the option of Dunfermline and East Fife. He preferred, however, to rejoin his first senior club. He will be included in the Lochgelly team to meet East Fife on Saturday at Mothil.

Dundee Evening Telegraph-Wednesday 22 August 1923
Everton Player for Fife Club. Lochgelly United made an important addition to their playing strength last night, when they signed Andrew Moffat, formerly of Everton. Moffat, who belongs to Lochgelly, was prominent in school football and not long after leaving school joined the United. The following season he was with East Fife and from them was transferred to Everton. He received a leg injury there from which has completely recovered. When it was known that Moffat was free there was keen competition among Fife clubs for his services and he had the option of Dunfermline and East Fife.

August 23, 1923 Dundee Courier
Lochgelly United have made an important addition to their playing strength in signing Andrew Moffatt, formerly of Everton. Moffatt, who belongs to Lochgelly, was prominent in school football. Not long after leaving school he joined the United, and the following season he was with East Fife, and was from there transferred to Everton. He will be included in the Lochgelly team to meet East Fire on Saturday at Methil.

Derby Daily Telegraph - Saturday 25 August 1923
Quite the classiest forward on the Swindon books this term is Charlie Crossley, who in 1920 cost Everton three thousand when they secured his transfer from Sunderland.  In the first campaign with Everton he was top scorer for the club, but a series of accidents spoilt his effectiveness, and last summer he went to West Ham, where he had but a poor season.  Charlie tells us that he has never felt so fit as now, so that he should get some goals for Swindon. 

August 25, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
The wonderful finish by Everton in last season's campaign, when they came with a rush at the post and gained fifth place, was, by general consent one of the features of the year, and although there were those who caviled at the enormous expenditure for new players, it must be admitted that the infusion of fresh blood was the dominant factor in the success of the side. The Blues begin their programme under the happiest auspices, for the team is cordial in its relationships and comfortable in its surroundings, and if these factors were of account, then Everton must go far this season. To-days match is with Notts Forest, a side which, curiously enough, met Everton in its very first League fixture in 1892. The Forest have, like their opponents, gone to some expanse in building up a strong side, and several fresh faces will be seen in the ranks. The ever-popular Sam Hardy is in goal, and is assured of a great welcome. As to Everton, general regret will be felt at the absence, through illness, of John Cock, who last season established himself a prime favorite at Goodison. His place at centre will be taken by Forbes, the ex-Heart of Midlothian man, who although on the light side, is a clever brainy exponent. Up to last night it was extremely doubtful if Chadwick would be able to turn out, but happily he will figure with Troup on the left wing, to carry on, one hopes, the brilliant work initiated last back-end. It should be a fine game, and there should be a big crowd, who, if form goes for anything in football, will be rejoiced by a win for the home side.

August 27 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By Adams.
If Everton keep a tight grip on the luck, which attended them on Saturday, they will win the League, for assuredly no team will be able to withstand them. They beat Notts Forest 2-1, but not even the most biased Goodsonian would be disposed to argue that the deserved too. The first half, in which they scored a perfectly good goal via Irvine, and another thanks to an inspired barging expedition by Hunter Hart, was theirs all right. The forwards worked with understanding and Chedgzoy was brilliant. Halves and backs tackled and kicked light-heartedly, and 40,000 enthusiasts gave voice delightedly. During this period Forresters were made to look very mediocre, and once or twice their defenders were rattled out of their stride and good temper. Several times it looked odds on the Blues piling up a big total, for there was no stopping them except by ingenuity in throwing the inside men offside.

Hart's goal was one of the most remarkable ever seen on a League football ground. It was McBain, who started the movement about twenty yards out. Instead of allowing a forward to get the ball, the skipper fastened on to it, dodged, skipped, charged, and bullocked his way through, to close range, where he shot. Hardy saved and fell on the line. In the resultant scrimmage, he rolled over with the ball, and somehow or other managed to throw it away, whereupon Troup smote it into the net, making assurance doubly sure. However, there was no doubt that Sam had given away the goal when he fell. The Forest looked all over a beaten team when half-time came, but appearances were deceitful, as the second half demonstrated.

Everton's last season fault became apparent –the inability to last the ninety minutes. They were overwhelmed, out manceurved and out-played, and had Walker the Forest's St. Mirren centre, taken the grits of the gods, a very different tale would have to be told. The Everton halves collapsed, the backs became erratic, and Fern let a simple-looking shot slither out of his hands. From this point, there was only one team in it, Gibson, on the right, cleverly and consistently fed, raced away time and again, and McDonaldf was doing three men's work. He cracked under the strain, and disaster was only staved off by heroic work by Raitt. Fern, blessed with extraordinary luck, saved two certain goals, and the Blues must have heaved sighs of relief (if they had any breath left) when the whistle went. The game demonstrated two outstanding facts. Everton failed to stay the pace, a defect that immediately will have to be remedied. The material was there, but the stamina was not. The other fact is that whatever side beats the Forest this season will have to be at their best. They have a couple of fine speedy wingers, and a set of sturdy well-built halves, and the whole eleven were so well trained that they went the ninety minutes without turning a hair. Teams : - Everton: - Fern goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs Chedgzoy, Irvine, Forbes, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Notts Forest: - Hardy, goal, Jones and Bulling, backs, Wallace, Morgan and Belton, half-backs, Burton Flood, Walker, Sparvin, and Gibson, forwards.

August 27 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
There was a hard fought game at Deepdale with Everton strong in midfield, but poor in finishing. Marquiss scored twice and Reay added a third for Preston, Virr and Miller showed the greatest skill for the visitors in shooting. Downs the last defender on view. Both sides showed good combination and speed, with Preston possessing greater penetration power. Everton missed shooting opportunities. Everton: - Harland, goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Reid (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Parry, Miller, Virr, Wall, and Harrison, forwards.

August 28, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Heavily showers of rain marred the match between Burnley and Everton last night, which ended in a draw, the visitors getting on equal terms in the last minute. Greasy ball on a good grass surface was difficult to control, and the 16,000 spectators saw a moderate game in a bad light. It was anybody's match so trying were the conditions. Everton made a capital start, and the game had only been in progress a minute when Smelt handled outside the penalty area. Chadwick took the kick (Free-kick), and shooting with terrific force beat Dawson. The drive was along the ground, and the custodian shot out one leg, but the leather glanced off his boot into the net. Burnley pressed strongly in an effort to equalise, but McDonald put the ball clear. The home side were very persistent, and from a corner, the tall red-haired Hill, headed just wide of the upright. Most of the work was done on the Burnley right, and Raitt, having kicked hastily at a sudden cross-drive gave another corner. Play lacked excitement till Kelly missed the mark by inches. A strong drive by Chadwick made Dawson at full-length fist into touch. Irvine netted, but the whistle blew for offside, while Parry followed with the ball into the side netting, when her had a fine chance of scoring. Smelt was almost knocked out heading the heavy ball, and on his recovery Irvine controlled the ball well, but was unable to keep it down when shooting. Kelly headed neatly to goal, but Fern caught the leather and dodged the rush. After 37 minutes play there was a desperate tussle in the Everton goal following a corner. Twice the ball was centred and touched the bar, but Raitt headed out; it was returned and with a dozen players missed up Bennie headed the equaliser. The score was one each at half-time.

Weaver had a chance as soon as the second half began, a cross-pass coming straight to his foot only a few yards out, but he drove right across. The rain poured down incessantly, till it was only with the utmost difficulty that the players could run without falling. A very questionable corner was given against the Blues when the second half had progressed 25 minutes, and from this Hill headed a second goal, although the Everton players protested strongly both before and after. A fine shot from Cross struck the crossbar with Fern beaten. In the last minute of the game Chadwick equalised. He took a penalty kick given against Taylor for handling. Dawson saved the shot, but Chadwick following up, netted easily. It would be unfair to unduly criticise in the circumstances. The Everton defence was solid, Fern's catching being clever and clean, while McDonald got through a deal of solid work very well. Hart and McBain did well, and Chadwick and Irvine were in capital form, but the loss of Chedgzoy was greatly felt. The best for Burnley was Hill, while Taylor Watson, and Cross were also very goo. Teams: - Burnley: - Dawson, goal, Smelt, and Taylor, backs, Watson, Hill, and Emerson, half-backs, Bennie, Kelly, Beel, Cross, and Weaver, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Parry Irvine, Forbes Chadwick, and Troup forwards. Referee Mr. Hall.

August 28, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Despite a first minute thrill, when Miller knocked the custodian over with a pile-driver from close range, the football never rose to great heights, but Harland underwent a trying period when he pushed a shot on to the inside of the post, the ball rebounding into play. The Irishman also had to fling himself full length to push out a ball deflected into goal by Reid. In the second half he was defeated by Logan after making a wonderful one-handed save at full length from Kilburn, the ball being headed into the net with the keeper out of position. Harrison equalised, however, with a ground drive a few minutes later from a free kick a yard outside the penalty area. Everton were for the most part on the aggressive without being really dangerous, though Newton made one or two good saves. Downs played a splendid game throughout, and with Livingstone out up a staunch defence. Duthie although requiring a little more speed off the mark, displayed excellent football, his footwork at times being brilliant. Everton: - Harland goal, Downs and Livingstone, backs, Brown Reid (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Duphie, Miller, Virr, Wall, and Harrison, forwards.

August 28, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
A strange position has arisen (writes out Scottish correspondent) in connection with Everton's overtures to John McColgan, the left back of Albion Rovers, Coatbridge. It appears that Everton are anxious to sign him, but having heard of McColgan's injury last season, they would like to see him in action before paying over the transfer fee. The trouble is that meantime McColgan has no club. With whom is he to play in order that he may convince Everton's of his physical fitness? If he signs for Albion Rovers he may be doomed to a season in the Second Division if Everton do not want him!

August 30, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton are making shuffle in the side to meet Nottingham Forest at Nottingham on Saturday. Cock and Peacock are still unfit, but Chedgzoy will resume at outside right, Williams will partner Troup on the left wing, and Chadwick will displace Forbes at centre. The team is: - Fern, Raitt, McDonald, Brown McBain, Hart; Chedgzoy, Irvine, Chadwick, Williams, and Troup.



August 1923