Everton Independent Research Data


August 5, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The League War Cup competition will as last term, occupy the second half of the coming football season. The qualifying series will begin on December 27 and will go on until the end of February. In that time each club will play 10 matches, and the 32 clubs with the best returns will go forward to the competition proper. The whole of our seven Merseyside area clubs-Everton, Liverpool, Tranmere Rovers, Chester, Wrexham, Southport and Crewe Alexandra –will of course, take part, and in the main they will battle among themselves for the right to go forward to the later stages. The only “outsiders” who will come into the area are Blackpool, Bolton Wanderers, Burnley, Blackburn Rovers and Rochdale and they will be opponents of Southport, who will be visitors to Merseyside in the League tourney, but not in the League War cup qualifying tourney. The other six area clubs will fight among themselves for places.

Aberdeen Weekly Journal –Thursday 5 August 1943
Mr. Robert Macfarlane, former Aberdeen and Scottish international goalkeeper, has died at his home, 85a Newton Street, Greenock, at the age of sixty-nine.  He also played for Morton, Celtic, and Everton.  He appeared regularly in the Aberdeen team before the last war. 

Liverpool Evening Express - Friday 06 August 1943
THE proudest parents at the Children's Joy Day pageant held on the Everton Football ground on Monday, must surely have been the father and mother of Joyce Cain, the Red Cross Queen, who, from the directors' staaid, watched with pride and keen interest the crown ceremony of their goldenhaired daughter. As the pageant was in aid of the Red Cross Penny-a-Week Fund, it must have been exceedingly gratifying to the promoters to see such a vast audience on the stands of the ground. I hear there were approximately 17,000 people there. While the procession was wending its way to the ground from various starting points coins were dropped into collecting boxes, and during the afternoon the leaders of ''collecting groups handed in collecting tins to Queen Joyce, one of which I know contained £68, and another £52. Already the £250 mark has been reached, and there is still money coming in. It was a good idea on Mr. Percy Corkhill's part to arrange the pageant on August Monday, for it provided a holiday pageant for thousands of children, and also their parents, who otherwise might have had nothing to do on this Stay-at-Home holiday week-end.

August 10, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Tommy Griffths the former Wrexham, Everton, Bolton Wanderers, Middlesbrough, Aston Villa and Welsh international centre half, has been appointed coach to Wrexham Football club for the coming season. The appointment will be welcome news to the many keen youngsters in the district who yearn to get into big football. Tommy is living in Wrexham, of course, and a man of his wide experience -£18,000 changed hands over Tommy’s transfer deals-should be ideal for the job of developing the local talent. Well, if Tommy reveals the enthusiasm in his coaching he always showed on the field, then he will prove a tremendous asset.
• Everton Football Club –Shareholders season tickets for season 1943-44 will be on sale at Goodison Park as from next Monday, Aug 16, 1943.

Liverpool Evening Express - Thursday 12 August 1943

Ted Sagar, Everton's international goalkeeper, writes from the Middle East sending good wishes to his friends and wishing good luck to his team-mates. Ted says he meet Ted Morris of Everton and New Brighton recently.

August 12, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Football clubs are now busy making final preparations for the new season which opens on Saturday, August 28. Players in all parts are being contacted, and while few announcements, are being made regarding “guest” players, most clubs already have the framework of their sides. Everton and Liverpool start one week prior to their colleagues, for they are due to meet at Anfield on Saturday, August 21 in aid of the Lord Major of Liverpool’s War Fund, and it is certain that this will be an occasion to welcome back many of our old friends, including several who delighted us in the pre-war days. Mr. Theo Kelly, secretary of Everton, is now back to full time employment with the Blues having been released from his position with Messrs F.H. Porter at his own request, and this is going to make a tremendous difference to the club. Everton will, I think, have a similar experience to Liverpool, who brought Manager Mr. George Kay back to full time employment last season; won Championship No 2 and were runners up in the first championship, besides having a wonder year financially. With the two “K” on the bridge our clubs should have few worries.
Lawton In Training
One of the most encouraging features of Everton’s outlook is that internationals Tommy Lawton and Tommy Jones will be regulars. This is going to make a tremendous difference. It was only on rare occasions last term that these brilliant players could assist their club, but now they constitute some of the “sheet anchors” on which the side is being built. Lawton is already getting down to work, and on Tuesday evening went to Chester’s ground for a spot of training just to loosen up, Tommy plays in Chester’s trial game on Saturday, so he should be in rare form for that game at Anfield. Norman Greenhalgh, Gordon Watson, and Alex Stevenson are three other members of Everton’s 1939 championship side who will be with us again, while George Jackson and Jackie Jones, two more pre-war lads, will be there again ready to give of their best anywhere and any time. For goal the Blues will have George Burnett and young Birkett while Jimmy McIntosh, the Preston North End outside left or centre-forward, is one of the certainties. McIntosh definitely is a capture, as witness his good games for the Blues late last season. So at the moment Everton certainties are; Goal, Burnett, Birkett; backs, Greenhalgh, Jackson, Jones (Jack); half-backs, Jones (Tommy), Watson; forwards, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Ted Sagar
Ted Sagar, Everton’s international goalkeeper, writes from the Middle East sending good wishes to his friends and wishing good luck to his team-mates. Ted says he met Ted Morris, of Everton and New Brighton, recently.

August 16, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
There is plenty of activity over at Goodison Park, where Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly is not only building up his first team in readiness for Saturday, but putting his many juniors through their paces. Practices behind closed doors will be taking on evenings during this week, and Mr. Kelly is convinced that he has plenty of the right material. Unaware that the County Combination was starting so early Mr. Kelly had arranged for Preston North End Reserves to visit Goodison Park on August 28 to play Everton Reserves and so the Blues Combination game with Napier will be put back –probably until Wednesday, September 1.
• Tommy Lawton scored seven goals for Chester first team against Chester Reserves, the first team winning 13-6.
• Joe Mercer, will be available to play for his own club every third week, and his first game will be against Blackburn Rovers at Goodison Park on September 4. On other occasions Joe will play for Aldershot.

August 19, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
George Makin, the 17-year-old local outside left, is being given his big chance on Saturday, when he appears in Everton’s team against Liverpool in the Lord Mayor of Liverpool’s War Fund match at Anfield. This will be Makin’s second first team appearance for he played against Tranmere Rovers at the back-end of last campaign. Makin is a produce of Everton’s Colts team and on the few occasions I have seen him in operation he struck me as being a natural footballer certain to make progress. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, has named a dozen players from which the side will be chosen, the doubt being in the half-back line, where four names are given. Tommy Jones, the Welsh international is practically a certainty, and other half-backs available are all “guest” players –Bob Pryde, the Blackburn Rovers “pivot”, and Steele of Stockport County, who have not played with the Blues previously, and Livingstone, of Bury, who helped Everton in a couple of matches last season. Tommy Lawton, the international leader, will not be playing for the simple reason that Everton’s word is their bond. A long time ago Everton agreed that Tommy should play for Burnley in a charity game with the National Police, and although the Liverpool game was arranged at a later date, Everton stand by their promise, so Tommy goes back to Turf Moor for the day. Jimmy McIntosh of Preston North End, will lead the Blues attack. I have good news for the clubs followers, Lawton has been appointed to take charge of area training for Army Cadets, and duties permitting, he will be able to play regularly. George Mutch, of Preston North End, will be at outside-right to Stan Bentham, and international Alex Stevenson will be there to prompt Makin. Burnett, Jackson, and Greenhalgh form the defence in a likely-looking side. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Livingstone, Jones (Tommy), Pryde, Steele; Mutch, Bentham, McIntosh, Stevenson, G. Makin.
The England v. Scotland Army International will take place at Goodison Park on Dec 4.

August 19, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Team for Anfield.
Everton include five guest artists among their twelve probables for the Lord’s Mayor’s Fund match against Liverpool, at Anfield, on Saturday. T.G. Jones will be at centre-half, but Tommy Lawton will not play. Before the match at Anfield, was arranged Everton had agreed to allow Lawton to assist Burnley in a charity game against the National Police team, and though they would have liked Lawton’s assistance against Liverpool they are sticking to their promise to Burnley. McIntosh (Preston) will, therefore, lead the Blues front line, which includes George Makin, the young “A” teamer as partner to Stevenson. Makin has had one previous outing with the senior side in an away game against Tranmere last May. Livingstone of Bury, who played at inside right for Everton against Liverpool in a Cup game last season, is included in the probable half back line, along with Pryde (Blackburn) and Steele (Southport). Billy Cook has been posted recently, and as he is believed to be on active service we are not likely to see him at Goodison this season. Jackson partners Greenhalgh. Team from;- Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Livingstone, Jones (Tommy), Pryde, Steele; Mutch, Bentham, McIntosh, Stevenson, G. Makin.
Tommy Lawton is being posted to a spot not far from here to take up a responsible job in connection with cadet training, so that military duties permitting –he should be available fairly frequently this season.

August 20, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Merseyside’s football season opens tomorrow with a great “Derby” match at Anfield between Liverpool and Everton. It is a splendid opener for what should be an outstanding war season. To get off on the note of local rivalry is a rare treat, and the Lord Major of Liverpool’s War Fund should benefit by a least £1,000.
Enter Youth
With all the attraction of experiences, plenty of interest will centre on the youngsters who make their entry –the boys who are the stars of tomorrow. Laurie Hughes, whom Liverpool signed from Tranmere Rovers last season, will make his debut for the Reds –at centre-half. Hughes has had one or two first team games, but at full-back. Now we shall see him in his real role for Rist cannot play. George Makin, the 17-year-old local discovery will be at outside-left, for Everton-his second senior game –and the much improved Ken Seddon, son of former international Jimmy, now Liverpool’s junior coach, will be at right back for Liverpool. A spot of late and good news for Liverpool is that Billy Fagan, the captain, is making strenuous efforts to be here. Billy sends word that he will be playing pretty regularly this season. Then Jimmy McInnes another of the Reds’ pre-war players, is home on leave and will be available. Tommy Jones is practically a certainty for Everton, whose only doubt affect the half-back line where four men are named. There is a veritable galaxy of talent for a match due at three o’clock, and which may end with honours even. All the proceeds go to the Lord Major of Liverpool’s Fund and to supplement the receipts there will be a collection to which I ask to give as generously as possible. Liverpool (from); Hobson; K. Sneddon, Westby; Kaye, Hughes, McInnes, Pillings; Liddell, Balmer, Done, Fagan, Welsh, Hanson. Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Livingstone, Jones (Tommy), Pryde, Steele; Mutch, Bentham, McIntosh, Stevenson, G. Makin.
• Lord Major of Liverpool’s War Fund. Liverpool v. Everton at Anfield Tomorrow (Saturday) Kick-off 3 p.m. Admission 1/6, paddock 2/3, Stands 2.9 H.M. Forces and Boys 7d. All Pay.

August 20, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes.
Tomorrow’s sporting programme again offers a variety of attractions with the big soccer match between Liverpool and Everton, at Anfield, as the outstanding titbit. After a three month hisus football enthuistists are longing to get back to the terraces and this “Liverton” Derby provides just the fare they relish. With both clubs turning out strong sides, the game has every promise of being a real needle affair, it will be no practice in the usual sense, but a keen, determined struggle, with prestige at stake in place of points, for no Liverpool side likes to be beaten by Everton, or vice verse. As you know the full proceeds go to the Lord Major of Liverpool’s war Fund, which does such grand work for our own relatives and friends in the Forces, so that there is a double incentive for Liverpool folk to support this game with a big attendance. The comforts which this match will provide will eventually reach out own lads and lasses. Admission is 1s 1d, and there will be a collection as spectators enter the ground. Liddell and T.G. Jones are certainties, as well as Done, Kaye, Hobson, Greenhalgh, Stevenson and others who were such stewarts on both sides last season. McInnes home on leave, is a Liverpool probable, Laurie Hughes ex-Tranmere, is definite for centre half, as also is Welsh in the attack, while Alf Hanson will get a special cheer on his first appearance in a senior game for over two years. Fagan is another probable. Teams from; Liverpool (from); Hobson; K. Sneddon, Westby; Kaye, Hughes, McInnes, Pillings; Liddell, Balmer, Done, Fagan, Welsh, Hanson. Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Livingstone, Jones (Tommy), Pryde, Steele; Mutch, Bentham, McIntosh, Stevenson, G. Makin.

August 21, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
By Ranger.
Liverpool:- Hobson, goal; Seddon and Westby, backs; Kaye, Hughes and Pilling, half-backs; Liddell, Balmer (captain), Done, Welsh and Hanson, forwards. Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh , backs; Livingstone (Bury), Jones (TG) (captain), and Pryde (Blackburn Rovers), half-backs; Grant, Bentham, McIntosh (Preston), Stevenson, and G. Makin, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. E. Thomasson (Chester). The match between Liverpool and Everton today at Anfield was in aid of the Lord Major War Fund. Liverpool’s sparkling attack might have brought a first minute goal if Liddell’s cannon-ball shot had not struck a defender and cannoned over the bar. Liverpool had the ball in the net the next moment, but Done put it there, was whistled for offside and completed his run without any opposition. McIntosh and then Bentham went very close, but the biggest thrill so far was when Burnett made a brilliant save at full length from a fierce shot by Don Welsh at six yards range. Grant had done well on Everton’s right wing, and Makin on the oppose flank, put across one “perfect centre, but there was nobody to make the most use of it. Alf Hanson, whose first senior game this was for over two years, showed that he had lost none of his old skill and cunning while Laurie Hanson, the ex-Tranmere player, was doing extremely well against McIntosh. Liverpool again almost took the lead when Balmer dribbled up to the penalty area without challenge and then cracked home a pile driver which struck the angle of the upright and bounced back into play. Liverpool hit the woodwork again, via a Done header.

August 23, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool 5, Everton 2
Five Goals in Eight Minutes
By Ranger.
The charity game between Liverpool and Everton at Anfield provided an exhilarating exhibition and one of the most sensational finishes ever seen at Anfield, Liverpool won 5-2. After a goalless first half in which Liverpool had done most of the attacking and shooting and had deserved a lead which they had not got, Everton reversed the position and got well on top right from the resumption. They took a couple of goals through McIntosh, both headers, at the fiftieth and seventy-fifth minute, and though Liverpool had by no means gone to pieces they had faded away so much that an Everton victory looked certain. Then came eight minutes of concentrated thrills which produced no fewer than five goals for Liverpool.
A Transformation
The transformation came when Welsh, Liverpool’s inside-left went centre forward to place of Done after Everton’s second goal. Balmer started the riot when he headed in from Liddell’s perfect centre, and the famous “kop roar” so spurred on the home team that within a minute, Liddell had put them level. The cup of Everton’s woe was by no means full, however, for this startling change round was followed by a hat-trick by Welsh. Liverpool were helped in their victory by mistakes in the visiting defence, for Burnett who otherwise had played a sound game, and had made some really brilliant saves, appeared to be at fault with the second and third goals, and had the fifth one well covered until it struck Jones on route and was deflected well out of his reach. This, however, should not detract from the excellence of Liverpool’s fighting finish, and it must also be recovered that earlier they had stuck the woodwork three times with Burnett well beaten. Liverpool’s best were Welsh, Balmer , Kaye and Hughes. Hanson showed that he had lost none of his old craft and cunning, but Liddell until late on was rather below his usual form, Hobson was very sound in goal. Jones (T.G.) was Everton’s outstanding defender, head and shoulders above anybody else though the backs did quite well and could hardly be blamed for the fatal last ten minutes. Burnett did some marvellous things and then made errors which Liverpool did not let pass unpunished. Bentham was his usual energetic self, Stevenson was tricky and more prone to shoot than usual, while Grant and Makin, two “A” team youngsters, did quite well. It was fast and thrilling football, well relished by the crowd of 13,250 who paid £946. With the collection the Lord Major of Liverpool’s War Fund for which the match was arranged will benefit by approxingly £1,000. Liverpool:- Hobson, goal; Seddon and Westby, backs; Kaye, Hughes and Pilling, half-backs; Liddell, Balmer (captain), Done, Welsh and Hanson, forwards. Everton;- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh , backs; Livingstone (Bury), Jones (TG) (captain), and Pryde (Blackburn Rovers), half-backs; Grant, Bentham, McIntosh (Preston), Stevenson, and G. Makin, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. E. Thomasson (Chester).

August 23, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Thrilling Derby Finish
Welsh’s Hat-Trick
One of the main attractions of football is that nothing about it is ever a foregone conclusion, and never was this more borne out than in the pre-season game between Liverpool and Everton at Anfield. With Everton on top in play and two goals to the good and only ten minutes to go, it looked long odds on a Liverpool defeat, but the game’s glorious uncertainty was demonstrated in one of the most sensational finishes ever seen at Anfield, in which eight minutes of concentrated thrills produced a nap hand for the Reds. Balmer set the kop roaring when he headed in Liddell’s “picture” centre and thereafter the kopites never let up for a moment. Talk about the Hampden roar, Spion kop, allowing for the disparity in numbers had it beaten to a frazzle on Saturday. The spectators spurred Liddell on to put the sides all square, and then veiled themselves hoarse when Done, Welsh added three more in the next five minutes. Seldom has there been no swift a transformation; and though mistakes and misfortunes in Everton’s defence contributed to their downfall. Liverpool earn full marks for their fine fighting finish. Burnett was at fault with the second and third goals –against which we remember his really brilliant saves earlier on –and was unlucky with the fifth, which was deflected right out of the reach. Liverpool’s revival came when Manager George Kay sent out word for Welsh and Done to change places. It did the trick and Everton were pipped on the post when victory seemed certain.
Fast and Exhilarating
It was a fast and exhilarating game, and though the cracking pace led to a slightly dull period in the second half, the thrilling finish more than compensated. Liverpool will gain confidence from this for their big test on Saturday when Manchester City open the season proper. Welsh and Balmer were outstanding for the winners; Hanson has lost none of his old craft, Liddell was below par, and Hughes played a splendid game of the bold and aggressive type Seddon also did promisingly. For the losers T.G. Jones was head and shoulder above the rest. The backs could hardly be blamed for the debacle, for they had to shoulder a lot of the wing halve work in the closings stages. Stevenson and Bentham were beat in attack with A” teamers Makin and Grant doing quite well. The attendance of 13,250 did not quite come up to expecting. If anybody staved away because this was just another practices they will have realised too late what they missed. The proceeds were £946, and the collection £30, and the Lord Mayor’s war fund benefit’s accordingly. The Lord Mayor (Aldershot R. Duncan French) went into the dressing room’s after the match to thank the players all of whom had given their services without fee. Thanks are also due to the boards of both clubs for this very useful acquisition to the fund. It was a grand appraiser. There will be many League games which won’t come up to this standard.

August 23, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Liverpool’s familiar forward switch brought them one of their most dramatic “Derby” victories of the war when at Anfield, on Saturday, the Reds conquered Everton 5-2 after one of the most breath-taking finales seen at the ground for years. A beaten side eight minutes from time, Liverpool swept through to their win in characteristic style. This was a wonder opening to the season, and is a happy augury for the months to come. For ninety minutes we had a football treat served up in the most sportsmanlike manager; the Lord Mayor of Liverpool’s War Fund will benefit by about £1,000 for the receipts were £940 and the collection has to be addressed; the Lord Mayor himself presented to congratulated the players and so voiced the praises of each of the 13,250 spectators; and the young players who operated with their more experienced colleagues proved that so far as the future is concerned neither Everton nor Liverpool have any worries. This was a grand curtain-raiser for next Saturday’s opening of the Football League campaign, and from Tranmere Rovers, Chester and Wrexham I have received news that their final trials went off excellently, so that there is a feeling of cheery optimism everywhere.
Welsh’s “Hat-Trick.”
Let me describe that pulsating last act of the Anfield drama. Everton had built up a two-goal lead through Jimmy McIntosh headers, and appeared to have the game well in hand. Came the famous Anfield roar; came the goals; came victory. I have always emphasised that the kop roar is worth a goal to Liverpool, and it was borne out again here. With just eight minutes to go Liddell gained possession as the crowd started to cheer. Liddell dragged the ball back to his left foot, and crossed a perfect centre, Balmer sprang in and headed it home. The roar increased in volume as Liverpool swept to the attack again. Burnett was drawn from goal and failed to clear the ball dropping for Liddell to equalise at will. Those goals shattered the confidence of Everton whose defence had been so dominant. The long ball was sent up the middle. Again Burnett came out but Welsh was too quick and hooked the ball through. Next Welsh went away to the left and fired in a truly magnificent rising shot with his left which gave Burnett no chance. The Reds never let up. Welsh improved on his two in two minutes by side-stepping Greenhalgh and shooting quickly the ball hitting Jones in the face on its way to the net to give the international a “hat-trick” in four minutes, and Liverpool as sensational a win as they will ever have. The remainder of the play was somewhat overshadowed by the climax but in the opening half we shaw Everton weaving while Liverpool were shooting and had it not been for Burnett’s brilliance Liverpool must have been leading at the cross-over. On resuming Everton took complete command and in fact for long spells, gave Liverpool a lesson in footwork and tactics. McIntosh headed home a cute Makin centre after Stevenson had drawn the defence and when Hobson ran out and misfielded. Everton got a corner which Johnny Grant used perfectly, and McIntosh headed in again. When Liverpool tried to fight back Jones, Jackson, and Greenhalgh held them as in a vice until that pass to Liddell, that Kop encouragement and the centre which opened the way for Balmer’s goal.
Youth Does Well.
Liverpool deserved to win for their first-half superiority and fighting spirit. Once again –just as they did on numerous occasions last season –they had the determination to turn defeat into success. Everton can console themselves that for long periods they provided the beauty of football, and that there was honour for them in defeat. The two outstanding players in a galaxy of talent were Tommy Jones, literally head and shoulders above them all, and Don Welsh. Jones gave one of the finest exhibitions of centre-half play I have seen in ages. He was superlative, and so ably covered by his backs. It was only when wing halves Livingstone and Pryde tired in recovery that Jones and company capitulated. For Welsh this was a marvellous debut. Apart from his shooting he was a superb player in the field, never idle, and always doing the right thing Don will be available on Saturday –Phil Taylor and Billy Fagan will, however he here –but Welsh will be a pretty regular Red this term. And let me be the first to say it –in Don Welsh England holds the solution to her inside-left problem. I hope selectors Mr. Will Cuff makes a note of these words. All the young players acquitted themselves well. Everton need not worry about outside-right if miner Johnny Grant from the north east is available. Grant’s ability offsets lack of inches, while George Makin has the right ideas. Makin was unlucky in that he found Ken Seddon playing a most encouraging game at right back, cutting down Makin’s operative room in convincing style. Seddon has “arrived.” Laurie Hughes was Liverpool’s best half-back and solves a Reds’ problem. Liverpool need have no worries with Hughes at hand. These four boys will go places. We shaw some brilliant line goalkeeping by Burnett and Hobson, both of whom suffered when they left that line, while Jackson and Greenhalgh blotted out the Liverpool wingers, so that Jack Balmer, skipper for the day, and Welsh was the prime Red attackers for Cyril Done had rather a thankless day against the master-man Jones. Kaye got through a tremendous amount of work in easy style while Livingstone was a delight in the attacking sense. Pryde tired towards the end. McIntosh was easily the best Everton forward –he is going to be a big assert –but Stevenson and Bentham were the mainsprings of the delighted Everton grace in the second half of a game we shall long discuss. It was a grand soccer re-union but I was sorry to find Mr. Bill Gibbons, the Everton chairman, absent because of illness. We wish him a speedy recovery. Messrs Ernest Green, Dickie Williams, Bob Turnbull and Dick Searle, with Dr. Cecil Baxter led the Everton party and Liverpool chairman, Mr. R. Lawson, Martindale was supported by Messrs Billy McConnell, W. Harvey Webb, Walter Cartwright –well again after a long illness –Wilf Harrop, Ronnie Williams, George Richards and Ralph Milne. Fred Hopkins was one of the old players who joined in the pageant so ably staged-managed by Messrs George Kay and Theo Kelly. Yes, a day to remember.

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 24 August 1943

The junior players Everton and Liverpool will have even greater opportunities this season than ever before. Up to now the colts elevens of both clubs have been forced to play all away matches because they have had no ground. Now, however all is changed, for Messrs. Kelly, Everton, and George Kay, Liverpool, have succeeded in securing the spacious ground at Orrell Football Club at Orrell-Lane. The clubs will share the ground and, of course, use it on alternate match days so far possible, but even both had home engagethey could play them this ground which has been, for many years, one the best amateur grounds in the north. . ' states that has had a letter from led Sagar, Everton skipper up to the time joined the Army, sending good wishes for the season. Ted is now in the Middle East and adds; "I've been tipping a few Jerries over the bar!"

August 25, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton have only one doubt regarding their team to oppose Blackburn Rovers in their opening League game at Ewood Park on Saturday. This affects the half-back line, where four players are named. Here we have two old friends of the 1939 championship side –Tommy Jones, and Gordon Watson –and two of the new “guest” players –Livingstone (Bury), and Steele (Stockport County). A final decisions will be make on Saturday. The defence remains the same as that against Liverpool, but forward we find the introduction of greater power, as Tommy Lawton, the England centre forward, is back on duty after great success in the south in Scotland and in representative games. Lawton return will make a tremendous difference to the effectiveness of the side for it release Jim McIntosh of Preston to go to his favouritie position at outside left, with Stevenson as his partner, George Mutch, of Preston N.E. is back from his holiday in Scotland, to take up the outside right berth, alongside Stan Bentham. This means three internationals in the attack, and with Jones, all four countries are represented in the side. The game is particularly interesting because it marks the return to the Rovers of Walter Crook following his injury in the match against Bury in January, 1941. He will figure at left back and will captain the side. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; (from); Livingstone, Steele, Jones (Tommy), Watson; Mutch, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Blackburn; Conway; Forbes, Crook; Whiteside, Pryde, Anderson; Wharton, Lucas, Dougal, Robertson, Pearson.
Everton “A” will be opposed to Preston N.E at Goodison Park, while the Colts meet Deeside Rovers at Orrell-lane.

August 25, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton open their League programme with a visit to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, and will do well if they manage to divide the points, for Rovers who were among the leading sides last season, have pretty much the same team again. Everton will have Lawton at centre forward, McIntosh moving out to the left wing, Mutch returns at outside right, Watson comes in at left half, T.G. Jones is again available at pivot, but Pryde who played for Everton last week, will be assisting his own club this time. Rovers will also include Walter Crook, their former left back, who has been out of the game for something like two years through injury. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; (from); Livingstone, Steele, Jones (Tommy), Watson; Mutch, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Blackburn; Conway; Forbes, Crook; Whiteside, Pryde, Anderson; Wharton, Lucas, Dougal, Robertson, Pearson.

August 27, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It is because of Everton’s power of attack that I expect them to surprise Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park. Andy Smith of Hamilton goes along while Tom Smith (Preston) and Sam Jones (Blackpool) are included in the revised probables. I realise that the Rovers with Walter Crook back in the captaincy, have out a really grand team, but if Everton play with the skill and spirit they showed in the early stages of the second half at Anfield they stages of the second half at Anfield they should prevail. Some perfect forward play should be witnessed for the Rovers will have Jimmy Dougal –he got four goals for the Police last week –and Wharton of Preston, while Everton have two Deepdale lads in Mutch and McIntosh. Mark my words, McIntosh is going to prove a tremendous asset to Everton. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, has plenty of players at his command, but it is just a case of getting off a couple of the vital ones. Still the Blues should get among the points. Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; (from); Tom Smith, Jones (Tommy), Sam Jones; Mutch, Bentham, Andy Smith, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Everton Reserves have an attractive match at Goodison Park with Preston North End Reserves (kick-off 3.0 p.m) and at Orrell lane their colts oppose Deeside Rovers (kick-off 315 p.m).
Everton Reserves; Birkett; Woodcock, Lever; Grenfell, McDonnell, Morley; Linaker, Wainwright, Casey, Scott-Lee, Makin.
Everton Colts; Jones; Bridges, Durham; Barrett, Williams, Doyle; Higgins, Moore, Gordon, Daulby, Lane.

August 27, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton also have anything but an easy opening, and in visiting Blackburn Rovers they will find themselves up against a strong and well balanced side, mainly composed of players with plenty of pre-war senior experience. Compared with last week, Everton will be strengthened by the inclusion of Tommy Lawton, who is now stationed in Merseyside and will be available more frequently than last season. They will also have Mutch at outside right and McIntosh on the oppose flank, so that the attack should be more penetrating. In defence, Everton need not worry unduly over their defeat at Anfield, but a word of advice to Burnett might not come amiss. Burnett could be a goalkeeper of international stamp if he would curb his propensity to rush out at the wrong time. He does some amazingly brilliant things, then spoils them by over enthusiasm. I like to see a goalkeeper who is not afraid to come out; sometimes it is the only thing he can do, but his excursions must be timed well enough to ensure that the other fellow doesn’t get there first, and when he’s out the goalkeeper must make sure he doesn’t lose contact with the ball. It is good to know that T.G. Jones will also be available pretty regularly this season “T.G.” was magnificent against Liverpool. I still rate him the best centre half in football today. He’s joy to watch, and so clean with it all. Everton have made some changes since the side was announced. Tom Smith, Preston’s skipper and centre half is included on the right flank, with Sam Jones of Blackpool, on the other side. Andy Smith, of Hamilton A. Is included among the forward probables. Teams;- Everton (from); Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; (from); Tom Smith, Jones (Tommy), Sam Jones; Mutch, Bentham, Andy Smith, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Blackburn; Conway; Forbes, Crook; Whiteside, Pryde, Anderson; Wharton, Lucas, Dougal, Robertson, Pearson
Everton reserves; (v. Preston, at Goodison); Birkett; Woodcock, Lever; Grenfell, McDonnell, Morley; Linaker, Wainwright, Casey, Scott-Lee, Makin.

August 28, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Blackburn Rovers; -Conway, goal; Forbes and Crook (captain), backs; Whiteside, Pryde, and Anderson, half-backs; Wharton (Preston), Grant (Everton), Dougal, Robertson and Pearson, forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Steele (Stockport), Jones (T.G.) (captain), and S. Jones (Blackpool), half-backs; Mutch (Preston), Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. C.P. Womersley (Cheshire). After being absent for two-and-half years through injury, Walter Crook again captained Blackburn Rovers in the opening match of the season against Everton at Ewood Park, today. These were about 2,000 spectators present. The Rovers attack in which was Grant, whom Everton had lent to the home team because of the failure of a player to turn up, was very persistent, vet Burnett had little to do. Jackson and Greenhalgh were playing steadily, and although occasionally beaten by the trickery of Dougal and Pearson they gave nothing away. There were hopes of a score for Everton when Stevenson slipped through the defence and bore down on goal. Conway rushed out, and Stevenson’s shot was diverted by his body. Grant set up a new attack, which Wharton was developing dangerous when Greenhalgh smartly robbed him in the penalty area. After thirty-two Lawton having once been robbed by Pryde, was given possession by Bentham, and scored with a low shot. The next minute Dougal took the Rovers back and am equaliser was obtained by Grant.
Half-time; Blackburn Rovers, 1, Everton 1.
Early in the second half most of the attacking was done by Everton, and after one strong right wing raid Conway had to fist away from Mutch. After twenty minutes McIntosh scored a second goal for Everton. Pearson was tipped in the penalty area, and himself took the kick, but the ball hit the foot of the post and bounced away. To the finish Everton were rather stronger in attack than the Rovers whose forwards had petered out. Final; Blackburn Rovers 1, Everton 3.

August 30, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Blackburn Rovers 1, Everton 3
Sedate Play
Although they won only by three goals to one Everton were a much stronger side than Blackburn Rovers at Ewood Park, where 2,000 spectators saw a game marked by much good football. There were times, however, when the sedate nature of Everton’s play gave the impression that they were playing well within themselves, and if occasion had arisen could have pulled out a good deal more power. The game had been going half an hour when Lawton scored, and it was rather curious that inside a minute the Rovers equalised through Grant, whom the Rovers had loaned to them just before the match because they were a man short. Everton’s superiority was more pronounced after the interval, McIntosh scored the second goal after 20 minutes, and Lawton the third near the finish, but all the time the Blackburn defence was stretched more than that of Everton. Lawton and Mutch were good in attack, and at centre-half Jones did well to keep Dougal subdued. The defence was sound, Everton won without going all out. Blackburn Rovers; -Conway, goal; Forbes and Crook (captain), backs; Whiteside, Pryde, and Anderson, half-backs; Wharton (Preston), Grant (Everton), Dougal, Robertson and Pearson, forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Steele (Stockport), Jones (T.G.) (captain), and S. Jones (Blackpool), half-backs; Mutch (Preston), Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. C.P. Womersley (Cheshire).
• Liverpool won 4-1, against Manchester City, Balmer (3), Done and Percival for Man City

August 30, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton were rather inclined to saunter through their game with Blackburn Rovers on low gear, giving the impression that if needs be they could have won with more to spare. Lawton’s leadership was excellent. He kept the line well together and never missed an opportunity when it came along. He and Mutch were the pick in attack, although Stevenson and McIntosh linked up well on the left. The lively Dougal was well looked after by T.G. Jones and got few chances. The Rovers goal came from the loaned Everton player, Grant, but it was obvious all through that the visitors had more moves up their sleeves than the Rovers. Lawton got two good goals, and McIntosh one. Whatever the future may hold for Everton this game demonstrated that their football is going to be worth watching. Greeenhalgh was injured in the second half and was little more than a passenger on the wing in the closing stages, but in spite of that the Blues kept a tight hold on the Rovers all the time.

August 30, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
As I anticipated it was mainly due to Everton’s forward superiority that the Blues registered such a signal success over Blackburn Rovers at Ewood. The collective understanding and individual artistry of the Everton attackers wore down a Blackburn full of resource but lacking those extra touches of skill. In the first half the Rovers gave as good as they took, although one could always foresee that Everton would gain the mastery. Under the leadership of “Quicksilver” Jimmy Dougal the Blues defence had anxious moments, but came through with the honours. Lawton it was who gave Everton the lead, and then an Everton player, Johnny Grant, equalised. Grant travelled as an Everton reserve, but when the Rovers were found to be a man short Grant was loaned them, and, as fate would have it, he got their goal. The Rovers should have had another, for after McIntosh had darted in to restore Everton’s lead after the interval, Pearson failed to convert a penalty and this so encouraged Everton that they went on to take another through Lawton. This was a good all-round display by the Blues, with new “guest” players in Sam Jones and Steele successes at wing half alongside the immaculate Tom Jones, with solidity in defence and perfect forward understanding. Whether Sam Jones and Steele will be available for future games is “in the air.” I was pleased to find that Mr. Will Gibbins, the Blues chairman had made a recovery from his indisposition in time to travel with the side. Everton had a really excellent opening, for their Reserves recovered from a 4-2 down against Preston North End to win 6-4 and their Colts started with a big win over Deeside Rovers.

August 31, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton may have to make two or three changes in their side for the return game with Blackburn Rovers at Goodison Park on Saturday. There is a doubt about Bentham, who may not be able to get away from work, and also- following his injury at Ewood Park –about Greenhalgh. If the latter is not fit, Everton have Jack Jones ready at hand. There is also a doubt about Steele, the Stockport half back on loan, who is at a naval depot. Lawton and T.G. Jones are expected to be available, along with Mutch, and there is good news about Joe Mercer, who is home from leave this week-end. Mercer’s remove down south meant that his appearances latterly have been few and far and he will have a health welcome if he is able to play. Sam Jones was loaned by Blackpool for one game only, but if the Bloomfield road club does not need him for their match at Rochdale, Everton would be glad of his help.

August 31, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Joe Mercer, the English international wing half-back, is a probable starter for Everton on Saturday in the match with Blackburn Rovers, which will set the Football League ball rolling at Goodison Park, Mercer is due home on leave. The team will be however, be no easy thing, for Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, although naturally he hopes that Tommy Jones, now skipper of the side, and Tommy Lawton, another international, will be able to play again. Norman Greenhalgh was injured at Ewood Park last Saturday and finished on the wing. He may not be fit, but the club has Jackie Jones always ready for such an emergency. Greenhalgh figured in a curious incident at Ewood too. In taking a goal-kick Greenhalgh landed the ball in Rovers’ net but, of course it was no goal, as the ball must touch a second player before a goal can be scored from a goal-kick. But... what a kick! Mr. Kelly as I mentioned yesterday, does not know anything definite about Steele, of Stockport County, who is in the Royal Navy or Sam Jones of Blackpool, who was loaned to the Blues for that one game. If Blackpool do not require Jones for Rochdale they may extend the “lease-lend” period. Stan Bentham must be marked down as doubtful, as he is due to change his war-work quarters at the week-end and may not be free. However, indications are that Burnett, Jackson, Watson, international Stevenson, and Mutch and McIntosh will be all right. The whole position may be clarified in a day or so.

August 1943