Everton Independent Research Data


August 5, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
T.G. Jones, the Everton and Welsh international half-back, has been appointed captain in place of Peter Farrell. This was announced by the club this afternoon. Jones is one of the long-service men of the Everton staff, for he joined the Goodison Park club in March 1936. He is acknowledged throughout the country as the most classical pivot in the country, and his knowledge of tactics is extensive. Last season he had a great deal to do with keeping his club in the First Division, for he displayed excellent form, being the barrier on which many a forward line was spilt. He has captained the Welsh team on many occasions, including last season’s continental tour.
L. Doyle the wing half or full back, a former Liverpool School boy, has been transferred to Exeter City.

August 6, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
It Seemed The Order Sunderland Should Equalise
By Ted Sagar (Everton and England)
As Told By Allan Robinson
Ted Sagar, today, recaptures the thrills of “The Match of The Century” – Everton’s 6-4 victory over Sunderland in a Cup replay at Goodison Park on January 30, 1935; recalls some of his best saves, and picks his ideal team from among the Everton stars with whom he has played during the past 20 years.
I have been asked frequently what was my most memorable game. The answer to that is easy. Without hesitation I say; The 1935 Cup replay against Sunderland at Goodison Park, a view to which the 59,215 spectators who saw it will probably subscribe. Think of all the superlative adjectives that can be applied to a football game, and you will do it only adequate justice. Former international stars who were present at the game and who have spent a life-time in football said they had never seen anything to approach that historic struggle. Thrill following thrill and goals came upon goals. At the end, hundreds of spectators in their excitement surged on to the pitch and mobbed both teams as we struggled to the dressing rooms and the police had to come to our aid to enable us to make our way, one by one, down the subway. I think the players were as excited as the spectators and it was a game that will be talked about for years to come by football fans, who will be proud to say, “I was there” and who, in turn will hand the story down to succeeding generations. The match began in an atmosphere of high drama as following the first game at Roker Park, which was drawn 1-1, both clubs complained about the referee and the Football Association appointed that competent officials Mr. Pinckston, of Birmingham to take his place in the replay. Right from the first kick the game had the hall-mark of a classic. The ball flew from end to end, and even the goalkeeper could not afford to relax for a moment. No sooner did I or Thorpe the Sunderland keeper clear the ball to the other end than it was back again almost the next second.
Order Of Goals
It was a complete exposition of the football arts. The first of the 10 goals came from Coulter, the Everton left winger who scored after 14 minutes. The little Irishman scored again after 31 minutes and Davies of Sunderland, reduced the deficit just before half-time so that we changed over with a 2-1 lead. When “Wee Alex” Stevenson scored again for us at the 75th minute we thought we were sitting pretty with a 3-1 lead, but the real match had hardly begun. Connor made it 3-2 with a goal for Sunderland at the 80th minute but we were still leading by the odd goal with only a minute to go. It looked as though we had the game “in the bag,” when, with practically the last kick of the match, Sunderland scored through a 100-1 chance by Bob Gurney. The ball was centred by Connor the visitors’ outside left. It was a teasing sort of centre that was not near to catch and too far away to leave one’s goal with safely I emerged seven or eight yards out of goal to narrow the shooting angle of any Sunderland forward who might fasten on to it, but there did not seem to any real danger. Bob Gurney was neatest a further eight yards or so away from me but even then there did not appear to be any possibility of a goal as he had his back to the goal. I could neither get back to my goal, however, nor get near enough to Gurney to smother his shot, Gurney apparently realized this, and, with his back still to the goal, he hooked the ball over his head and over mine into the empty net. So his 100-1 shot came off, and we were faced with another 15 minutes each way of extra time. The spectators who were leaving the ground streamed back to watch the climax to the game of a life time.
Shot Their Bolt
Within two minutes of the resumption Coulter who had probably the finest game of his career with Everton made it 4-1 and we were laughing again, but seven minutes later, Connor with the best shot of the match, made it 4-4 and again we were committed to agonies of suspense. We thus changed over for the last 15 minutes still level somewhat foot score, and more than a little fatigued. At the 21st minute of extra time Geldard put in a tentative centre which swerved over Thorpe’s out stretched hands into the net. We were elated, but what had gone before had prepared us for anything. We began to think that it was in the natural order of things that Sunderland would get an equalizing goal, but they had shot their bolt. A minute before the end Geldard clinched the issue with another goal and we won 6-4 amid some of the wildest scenes of excitement that I have ever seen. There were mutual congratulations by the players of both teams. We were proud to have taken in such an historic match, but I am sure none of us would have liked to have gone through it again. And for your records the teams were;- Everton- Sagar; Cook, Jones; Britton, Gee, Thomson; Geldard, Cunliffe, Dean, Stevenson, Coulter. Sunderland; Thorpe; Murray, Hall; Thomson, Johnson, Hastings; Davis, Carter, Gurney, Gallacher, Connor.
My Finest Save
Were I asked, too, to name my finest save I would have no hesitation in plumping for my penalty save in the Wolves-Everton Cup-tie in season 1947-48. We were losing 1-0 through a sloppy goal by Westcott and when half-way through the second half. Wolves were awarded a penalty, it looked like “curtains.” Little Hancocks, who rarely misses a penalty, took the kick and it was a question of “do or die” I decided whatever happened to dive to the right. If Hancocks had shot to the left Ted Sagar would have looked silly but luck was with me. I went down to the right immediately he shot and my gamble came off. At full length I managed to turn the ball round the post. As they came up for the corner, all the Wolves forwards, including Hancocks, paid me the compliment, of congratulating me. And even the referee joined in! Everton became inspired by the let-off and drew level with a goal by Harry Catterick. We went on to win the replay at Goodison Park. Many Wolves supporters wrote to me and congratulated me on my display in the first tie at Molinuex Park. Another save that will remain in my memory was during the same season, against Middlebsrough , whom we beat 1-0. Walker, the Middlesbrough outside left put in a shot from 12 yards out that actually past me as I advanced. I suppose I should have accepted it as a goal, but I made a backward dive ad managed to save it just before it crossed over the line. “Still at it, “Ted” said Wilf Mannion whom I had deprived of seven goals in the Army.
My Ideal Team
I have frequently been asked what would be my ideal Blues team if I had the chance of playing behind the Everton stars I have known during the past 20 years. My automatic choice for right back would be old “Warney” Cresswell, a great player, a fine gentleman, and an ideal clubmate. Cresswell was a two-footed player with an uncanny sense of anticipation, and an ice-cold brain that carried both himself and his team-mates through the stormiest phases. The choice of left-back would lie between Willie Cook and Ben Williams, both powerful tacklers and big kickers who never knew when they were beaten. Both were in complete contrast to Cresswell and as such made the ideal partner. I would give the verdict in a “photo-finish” to Willie Cook. There are two outstanding candidates for the right-half position in Joe Mercer and Cliff Britton. Both were supreme in their day and the embarrassed England selectors solved the problem by moving Joe to left-half to allow Cliff to play at right half. Who am I to go against the better judgment of the selectors? What was good enough for them is good enough for me, so it is Britton right-half and Mercer left half with Jock Thomson receiving honorable mention as a sterner type who would play himself to a standstill. The centre-half position presents something of a poser, as Everton have been known for the quality of their pivots in the past two decades – Tommy Jones, Jack Humphreys, Tommy Griffiths and Tommy White. Tommy Jones, the football artist in anybody’s language and one who does –and gets away with –things nobody else would think of attempting Humphries, as stern as they come, and whose motto is “They shall not pass.” Tommy Griffiths another great Welsh stylist, and the fittest man ever to have donned a football jersey and Tommy White who probably to the surprise of many, would be my choice a surprise in that it was probably not his recognized position, yet it was the position in which he played his best games. Tommy as a born-footballer, and it was his adaptability and versatility that made him such a great centre half. He was strong in tackle, powerful in clearances with both feet and head and could play either a defensive or an attacking game. As my outside right I selected without hesitation Torry Gillick, whom as I have previously told you was the greatest taker of the half-chance I have ever encountered. He was – and still is with Glasgow Rangers – a clever dribbler and a strong shot, and in selecting him I am not forgetting the many fine goals Albert Geldard scored for the Blues. Jimmie Dunn would be my inside right, getting a short-head verdict over Eddie Wainwright and Jimmie Cunliffe. Need I say that the centre forward would be William Ralph Dean? The inside left position rests between Alex Stevenson, Nobby” Fielding and Tommy Johnson. The latter I know was a great forward in his day, but when I saw him he was nearing the end of his career. My choice is “Wee Alex” Stevenson. I am spoiled for choice of outside left –Arthur Rigby, Stein, Coulter, and Caskie, who returned with Gillick to the Rangers. The final choice rests between Coulter and Stein. I suppose having picked Stevenson, I should plump for Coulter, remembering their wonderful partnership but Jimmy Stein gets my vote. He was the more thrustful and direct and his swerving cenres and corner kicks were a nightmare to goalkeepers. My team therefore always providing I was invited to play, of course) would be;- Sagar; Cresswell, Cook; Britton, White, Mercer; Gillick, Dunn, Dean, Stevenson, and Stein.
Next Week Ted Sagar will conclude the series with a last look round at “Twenty Glorious Years.” And recall some of the most dangerous forwards he has played against.

August 9, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Directors of Everton meet this evening to select their first teams for the new season –the sides to figure in next Saturday’s public practice games at Goodison Park. Everton’s new faces include the young Irishmen D. Donovan the inside-forward and J. O’Neill, the goalkeeper. It is quite on the cards that apart from the actual selected 22 both clubs will make changes at the interval ensure that as many as possible get a run before the public. So far all the trials have been held at Bellelfield.

August 10, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
For their first and only public practice game at Goodison on Saturday (3.15) Everton will field their probable first team against the likely Central League side. Apart from the fact that Corr is at outside right, the senior team is the same as that which did duty in the closing matches last season. Teams; Blues; Sagar; Saunders and Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wanwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.
Whites; K. Mitten; Moores, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Humphreys, Grant; Higgins, Bentham, Catterick, Powell, Parker.
Everton’s two new signings –O’Neill (goal) from Dublin and Donovan (inside forward) from Cork –are not included. There may be changes in the side however, for the second half.

August 10, 1949. The Evening Express
Everton will introduce to the Goodison Park fans one new face in Saturday’s public practice match. This is Keith Mitton, the amateur goalkeeper from the Preston area, who will play for the Whites. Mitton was signed at the back-end of last season and played for the Central League team against Derby County at the Baseball Ground with success. Four players who were in the 1939 championship side will be on view – the new skipper Tommy Jones; Ted Sagar, who is just entering his 21st season with the club; Norman Greenhalgh and ex-captain and Stan Bentham. Peter Corr, the Irish international will be at outside right for the Blues and one of the seven full internationals in the trial. The youngsters Moore and Parker, who have graduated through the junior side will appear for the Whites in what should be a nice Goodison re-union. Blues; Sagar; Saunders and Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wanwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.
Whites; K. Mitten; Moores, Greenhalgh; Lindley, Humphreys, Grant; Higgins, Bentham, Catterick, Powell, Parker.

August 13, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton Trial
By Stork
Blues; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, Mcllhatton, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. White; Mitton, goal; Moore, and Greenhalgh, backs; Lindly, Humphries, and Grant, half-backs; Higgins, Bentham (captain), Catterick, Powell and Parker, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Jones, Liverpool. We had got back to heat-wave conditions for Everton’s practice game at Goodison Park today. It was a shirt sleeves affair, as many of the onlookers had doffed their jackets. There was quite a nice crowd and they gave Jones, the new Everton captain, hearty welcome. Stan Bentham captained the Whites. The first ten minutes had provided the onlookers with some tip-top football. Nationally, there was not the tenseness of a League match attached to it, though the players were able to indulge in rounds of passing, particularly on the part of the Blues. Sagar was the first goalkeeper to handle, but it was not the type of shot to trouble such an experienced keeper as Ted. Jones was noted for some clever defensve play and later Sagar had o save a shot from Catterick. Almost immediately afterwards, Mitton, Everton’s new goalkeeper, made a confident catch from a rather close-in shot by Fielding. It was attractive fare, and when McIntosh took deliberate aim with a left-foot special the ball passed over. The first goal of the day was a tame looking affair. Actually Wainwright, who scored, “muffed” his shot, yet the ball was able to fly out of the reach of Mitton and enter the net just inside the upright. This was at 28 minutes. Wainwright and McIntosh by perfect co-ordination opened a way for Eglington, and Mitton made a good save, and followed with a sparkling save as Wainwright charged. This young amateur kept his eye on the ball, secret of good goalkeeping. Two minutes from the interval the Blues chalked up their second goal. McIntosh received the ball away out on the right, worked it close into goal, Mitton came out, but the Blues centre forward dribbled round him and then swept the ball into the net. Half-time –Blues 2, Whites 0. The Blues were complete masters in the second half and at 65 minutes they increased their lead to three through a McIntosh goal which left Mitton helpless. During the interval I had a word with Jack Hedley. He tells me he is getting on like a house on fire and that he does not think it will be long before he is playing. That is indeed good news. When Alec Stevenson came out to tend one of his players –he is trainer to the reserve side – he got a great reception from the crowd. Sagar was not without work, for he had to save from Higgins and also from parker. Corr was getting a good supply of passes, and he showed up much better in this half. Just on time Parker provided the centre which Higgins scored the Whites only goal. Final; Blues 3, Whites 1. Attendance 11,862.

August 13, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Drake of Arsenal Always Chased The Half Chance
Concluding his life story, Ted Sagar, the Everton and England goalkeeper, brouses among the memories of 20 years in first-class football and discusses some of the famous forwards he has faced. In this my concluding article I will have a last look-around and leave the place tidy for the Football Echo’s team of football writers who will be following me. What follows are random reflections on things that did not find a place in the general pattern of my story. Firstly, I have been asked by many correspondents who was the opposition centre forward, I most feared. Immediately I would say Ted Drake of Arsenal. He had all the physical requirements of a centre forward. During the ninety minutes you faced the big, bustling Ted you knew little peace. He was always chasing the half-chances, harassing the keeper and cracking in a terrific shot as full measure. Drake enjoyed his game. He was always scrupulously fair, but a keeper had to keep on the auivive the whole time in case one of his playful charges took you unawares. During corner kicks he never let up and a goalkeeper had to make his own arrangement without relying on cover from his backs. Other “nuisances” were Jack Milsom of Bolton, who used to stand on the 18 yards line and then chase you for all he was worth when the full back tipped the ball into your hands. I found it less trouble to kick it off the ground. Another of the same type was Golman of Grimsby and Arsenal who never left a goalkeeper alone. We got to know these players and made our plans accordingly. In contrast to the above was W.G. Richardson of West Brom, who never harassed you but general made a fake pass at you and shouted in passing. “OK Ted get it away. But woe betide a keeper who tried to steal distance by bouncing it up to the 18 yard line. Another gentlemanly type was Glover to Grimsby who relied for goals on his football art. Robson of Grimsby was another whom was a pleasure to play against. What am I sawing –it was Robson we always claimed for putting us into the Second Division with a “hat-trick” He was never without a humorous remark whenever he came near you. In fact Grimsby as a lean have always been known as one of the most sporting side playing football.
Alec Jackson Joke
Another comedian on the field was Arthur Chandler of Leicester City whom I used to enjoy facing. But more often than not Arthur showed that he could crack goals as well as jokes. The late Alec Jackson was another with a keen sense of humour. Once at Stamford Bridge I robbed Alec of a great coring chance, and in doing so my cap fell off. Alec with consciousness slammed my cap into the back of the net, and said “I ll put something into the net, anyway.” The Chelsea crowd loved it. One can’t think of Jackson without being reminded of his other famous Scottish contemporary Alec James. We goalkeepers were not a feared of James for the goals he scored, but for the goals he made. He was the greatest exploiter of the “wide open spaces” in football. We would not have a care in the world, and then James would get the ball somewhere in “No Man’s Land,” and with a flick the defence would be thrown wide open. Alec did not get many goals but I remember one he got against me. I fluffed a goal kick which hit one one in the back, and the ball travelled loosely to James in his usual position of solution. Before I could regain my position, Alec had hit it first time in of the back of the net.
Hardest Hitter
The hardest hitter of a ball I ever faced was Eric Houghton of Villa who had to be watched if in possession of the ball anywhere within 30 yards of goal. Others who also left your hands tingling of you were lucky enough to get behind their drives were Dickie Dorsett, of Wolves and Villa, Bastin (Arsenal) and Shaw, the former Wolves full back. When Shaw took a free kick at goal we generally arranged for it to come through to the keeper, as any defenders who got in the way had a chance of having their heads knocked off. The greatest talkers on the field (apart, of course from myself and Elisha Scotts were “Ralch” Carter. Peter Doherty, George Martin, Billy Dean, Jock Thomson and –this will surprise many –“ Warney Cresswell. It arises from nothing more than an unbounded enthusiasm and a will-to-win. Among football’s when members are George Saunders, Peter Farrell, and Cyril Lello, who get on with the job quietly, but none the less effectively. The “Blues” best comedian –Alec Stevenson. And best mimic and impressionist? –Billy Higgins.
Happy Years
How much longer I will be pulling on my old green jersey it is not possible to foretell, but a ready I have enough football memories to last me a life time, and when my playing day are behind me. I can still stroll down memory lane and recall the battles of wits I had with such famous forwards as Ernie Hines (Leicester) Joe Bradford (Birmingham); Bestall (Grimsby); Hughie Gallacher, Wilf Mannion, Billy Walker (Villa), David Jack, Billie Gillespie, Tommy Walker, “Ralch” Carter, Peter Doherty and a host of others. With what result. I leave that to others to judge. The past twenty years have been the happiest in my life. If I had the same chance again as I had twenty years ago at the threshold of my career I would make the same decision. Football has enabled me of travel extensively at home and abroad enabled me to see places, I could never hoped to have visited and brought me into contact with hundreds of splendid colleagues whom I continue to number among my friends. They have always been a great punch of lads at Goodison Park and to youngsters playing in the parks or back alleys who have the ambition to become Everton players I would say “The best of luck to you, boys you could not have a better ambition.” In conclusion, to the Everton directors to the staff from the highest down to the office boy to the gateman (who never fail to wish you luck) to the Everton supporters (who are the best in the world), and finally to the great thousands of football fans who throng the terraces and Kops all over the country and are the salt of our great winter game, I would like to say with feeling. (Thank you for all your kindness”) P.S. –in reply to several correspondents; Archer and Cunliffe were at one time quartered with me and my wife. They asked Norman Greenhalgh in the dressing-room on one occasion –whether he had seen. “The boss of our house” (and the tag stuck).

August 15, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Mitton Impresses
By Stork
Blues 3, Whites 1
Practice games are rarely taken seriously for in the majority of cases the players are not a full stretch, but they are usually entertaining for players can indulge in the finer points of the game. I felt nothing, but sorrow for the Everton players at Goodison Park for they had to contend with a broiling heat not conductive to hectic football. Everton had few new faces to show the 11,860 spectators and they were in the reserve side. I was impressed with the showing of the amateur goalkeeper, Mitton, until late on when he became uncertain in his handling. Parker at outside left, found Farrell and Saunders too much for him although it was he who scooped the ball over for Higgins to score the White’s only goal. Naturally the seniors had most of the play and some of it was top class –ball on the ground –interchanging of position and a smoothness which made football look easy. The Blues scored through Wainwright and McIntosh (2), but there was still a lack of punch from the forwards. Corr was better in the second half when his side was constantly on the attack, Wainwright seems to have recovered his dashing form and Fielding, was as canny a ball player as ever. No risks were taken and the rule was “go-as-you-please.” Eglington cracked in one good right foot shot and McIntosh was here, there and everywhere. Jones was just Jones but Lello is improving as a half-back, being sound in defence and attack. Farrell showed something like his form of a couple of seasons ago, and Saunders and Dugdale capably covered Sagar. Moore did well at right full-back for the Whites and Greenhalgh has obviously recovered from his leg injury.

August 15, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Stork
I saw most of the first half at Goodison and the whole of the second half at Anfield. The most noteworthy feature of the Goodison first half was the willingness to shoot, as well as the power of shot, of the senior inside forwards, and particularly Fielding. With McIntosh and Wainwright doing their share as well, the Whites’ amateur goalkeeper got a fair testing. His name by the way, is Mitton, not Mitten, as originally announced and printed in the programme, which recalls how Liverpool in the early days of Billy Liddell, first launched him on the public as “Liddle.” What I saw of the Everton match did not produce any evidence that the weakness on the wings in mind that next week pounds and points will be at stake. It did, however, show that Lello has maintained his improvement that Sagar is still the Sagar of old, and that Tommy Jones nonchalance remains the hallmark of that artistry and skill which enables him to take apparent ranks without real danger. He has everything timed to a split second and a fraction of an inch. Moore showed promise at right back and Parker did some good thinking on occasions but elsewhere we learned nothing new from the old familiar faces.

August 17, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton, away to Middlesbrough bring in Corr for Powell, compared with their closing match of last campaign with Fielding returning to inside left. He missed the May 7 game through injury. Team
Sagar, Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.
Albert Juliussen
Albert Juliussen the centre forward Everton signed last season from Portsmouth for a fee of about £10,000, and who is now on their transfer list, has signed for Consett, the Northern-Eastern League club. As Consett are not Football League members no fee is paying able, but one would be involved should he sign for a League club at any future date.

August 19, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton travel to Teeside in the hope of starting this term’s away programme on the right foot. Last season the only away win was at Villa Park, but tomorrow they are at the ground which has yielded four victories out of the last dozen visits. Like Liverpool the main strength of the Blues lies in the half back line, and I do not expect the Borough’s deputy leader McCrae, to get much change out of the Blues new skipper Tommy Jones. Most danger to Everton will come from the international inside forward McKennan and Mannion, but Everton have strength at wing half, and the alertness of their forwards may make this a happy journey. Anyway here’s wishing all our club’s a grand send-off and Ted Sagar all good luck in this his 21st season. Everton; Sagar; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington. Middlesbrough; Ugolini; Robinson, Hardwick; Bell, Blenkinsopp, Gordon; Spuhler, McCrae, Mannion, Hartnett.
• Everton Res v. Blackpool Res, at Goodison Park
• Everton “A” v. Marine, at Bellefield

August 20, 1949. The Evening Express
There was a “full house” long before the kick-off at Ayresome Park today, for Everton’s opening game against Middlesbrough. The weather was more suited to cricket than football and short sleeve order was the popular dress among the perspiring crowd. Fate had already dealt a blow at Middlesbrough for they had to take the field without their £18,000 centre forward, Andy Donaldson. Donaldson broke an ankle in the first public practice game. Alec McCrea who had not previously played in that position in a League game, led the Borough attack, with Wilf Mannion at inside left, and Peter McKenna, formerly of Brentford, as his other inside partner. Middlesbrough; Ugolini, goal; Robinson and Hardwick, backs; Bell, Blenkinsopp and Gordon, half-backs; Spuhler, McKenna, McCrae, Mannion, and Hartnett, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Pickles (Bradford). McIntosh spearheaded an early Everton foray when he took command of a Farrell throw-in and switched the ball out to Corr, but Corr’s high cross swerved over the line before it reached the near post. Then Boro went into action through McCrae, who produced a grand burst of speed before crossing square and low. Sagar was right there, however, to take control. Otherwise it was a quietism opening on a bone-hard ground. Jones was forced to concede a corner to keep McCrae at bay, but Sagar was not tested from this. Came the first real thrill as McIntosh slipped a choice short ball through to gave Wainwright the right of way. Eddie strode forward and let go a terrific rising right-footer just as he was tackled.
“Boro Escape
With Ugolini helpless, he ball crashed against the upright and bounced behind, a narrow escape for Boro this. Another Everton raid from the left rank this time saw Lello try one from a long range, but it sailed yards over the top. Everton were in lively mood and Ugolini had to produce one of his acrobatic dives to prevent Eglington connecting with a Corr centre. The pace was a cracker at this stage, ad after Spuhler and Mannion had combined to force Dugdale to give away a fruitless corner McKennan caused the crowd to gasp with a first-timer from 20 yards. Another corner to Boro’ brought a magnificent save by Sagar from Spuhler’s flying header. Boro’ enjoying the lion’s share of the attacking, went close again, Bell heading Harnett’s free kick inches wide.

August 20, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Sagar Saves Hardwick’s Penalty Shot in Last Minute
Borough Attack Held
Middlesbrough 0, Everton 1
By Stork
Once again Ayrsome Park proved a lucky ground for the Blues. A Wainwright goal did it again, but the Middlesbrough attack missed quite a number of simple chances. The second half was all Middlesbrough. Sagar was the hero, with a penalty save in the last minute. Middlesbrough; Ugolini, goal; Robinson and Hardwick, backs; Bell, Blenkinsopp and Gordon, half-backs; Spuhler, McKenna, McCrae, Mannion, and Hartnett, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Pickles (Bradford). Although it was a summer’s day at Middlesbrough there was quite an excellent attendance, despite the counter attraction of the Stockton Races. An improvement has been made since my last visit, for the “bob” spectators was much more comfortably housed in a new terrace. Middlesbrough, owing to the injury of Donaldson, experimented with the inside forward McCrae as leader of the attack. Tommy Clinton was Everton’s twelfth man. Last season Everton lost by the narrow margin of one goal.
Everton Attack
Everton were set to face a brilliant sun, yet they bounded into the attack right from the kick-off and McIntosh supplied Corr with an opportunity. The Irishman put his centre behind. Middlesbrough did not take this sitting down, for their immediate reply was a swift attack engineered by Mannion. This enabled McCrae, who had moved to outside-left, to take an angular shot of some difficulty. He scooped the ball strength into Sagar’s hands. The Everton attack had an answer to all this when Lello tried a shot which misfired but it only went to prove that the Borough were not having it all their own way. In fact they were lucky to get away without having a goal against them when McIntosh and Fielding planned an move which let in Wainwright.
Hit Upright
The inside right carried the ball to just inside the penalty line and it appeared that Ugolini must be beaten but the Everton man’s shot hit the upright and bounded back into play. Lello tried another one without success and then we saw the spectacular Ugolini made a one-handed punch to clear away a positive danger from a McIntosh centre. The Borough then took three corners in quick succession and for a time the Everton defence was hard pressed. When Sagar pushed out a ball from Harnett, Spuhler came Hardwick and company some anxiety, particularly when Wainwright broke angle of the post. At this point the home side were putting in some grand work and Sagar had to make a splendid save from McKennan. Things became so hot that the referee came to the line and threw off his jacket. Considering the humidity the pace was quite good and there were many thrilling spells. The Borough, however, had appeared the more dangerous side up to now, but Everton were giving Hardwick and company anxiety, particularly when Wainwright broke through, ran round Blenkinsopp and scooped the ball high over the far angle of the post.
Goal In Danger
There was a tense moment in front of the Everton goal when Jones tried to work the “dummy” on Corr. The move failed to come off, and it left the Everton goal in rather a perilous position, for McCrea was still well up on the job. The ball flashed towards Dugdale, whose clearance came back across the goal face, and Sagar had to drop on the ball just as McCrae was coming up to “do the needful.” Fielding worked an opening for himself, and then drove for goal, but while his shot had the necessary power, Blenkinsopp stepped in the line of flight and the ball was blocked. There was definitely more danger in the Borough attack, and I say this in fairness to Bell, a half-back who had a penchant for coming up with a rasping drive when occasions were open to such tactics. One of these fiercy shots brought out a good save from Sagar who had much more to do than Ugolini. In one hot attack which was started from a free kick, Hartnett just failed to connect with a hook shot as the was on the turn. Everton came in flashes, and Wainwright went close, while McIntosh put one into Ugolini’s hands, but in their next venture Wainwright succeeded. Wainwright picked up a ball which came up in the middle, rounded his defenders, then closed in to shoot just inside the upright at 33 minutes. This was a bit a blow to the Borough people, and hastening to Everton.
Covered by Defence
Wainwright a little later tried to bore his way through, but was ultimately blocked out by weight of numbers. He did manage to get in his shot, but was unbalanced at the moment of impact, and, further, the Borough defence, had gathered its forces completely to cover Ugolini. The goal against the Borough appeared to have an effect on the home side. At least they were not nearly so lively as they had been and it was Everton who now looked the more likely to score for the last few minutes before the interval, apart from one occasion when Dugdale failed to make contact with the running ball and let in Spuhler, Sagar was alone at the mercy of the Middlesbrough winger, but he dashed out and Spuhler shot the ball struck the Everton goalkeeper’s legs. The incident gave the Borough some encouragement, for almost with the final shot of the half Harnett shot outside.
Half-time; Middlsbrough nil, Everton 1.
Everton were, indeed in a happy position at the half stage, but within three minutes of the interval should have had three goals scored against them, for chances were there. Right from the re-opening Middlesbrough launched an attack of aggressive football, and when McCrae slipped the ball to Spuhler the outside right should have scored without any great difficulty, because he was only a yard or two out of goal.
Changes Missed
The ball slewed across the Everton goalmouth, but Harnett, who had closed in, just failed to connect and the ball passed outside the far post. The Borough persisted in their strong attacking tactics, and again Spuhler, bang in front of goal, missed the opportunity of a lifeline. That was the second escape. The third was equally as a narrow for when McCrae pulled the ball back to Spuhler it only needed a clam head and a sure foot to beat Sagar, Spuhler had neither. The Everton defence did not seem to be settled during this period and the wonder was that they still held their lead. McKenna made a header that was so close that the ball shaved the topside edge of the cross bar. During this attack Sagar was injured and had to receive attention. He soon returned, but I noticed that Jones had to take the goal kicks. Almost in the last minute Middlesbrough were offered a gift an equalizer. They were awarded a penalty for a foul on Mannion by Jones, and it looked a certainty that the game would end all square. But the evergreen Sagar once again saved the day by making a miraculous save from Hardwick’s spot kick. Final; Middlesbrough 0, Everton 1.

August 20, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton; Mitton, goal; Moore, and Greenhalgh; Brindley, Humphreys and Grant, half-backs; Higgins, Bentham, Catterick, Powell, and Parker, forwards. Blackpool; Fall, goal; Garrett, and Wright, backs; Hearn, Crosland, and Fenton, half-backs; Hobson, Smith, McKnight, Davidson, and Adams, forwards. Referee; Mr. E.T. Jenkins. Everton opened their Central League programme under summer conditions at Goodison Park today. The Blues who had the advantage of a strong sun, were on the offensive in the early stages. Mitton saving two excellent shots from McKnight and Davidson. Everton had a glorious chance of opening their account in the 35th minute, Higgins with a goal at his mercy, shooting well wide of the mark. Half-time; Everton Reserves 0, Blackpool Reserves 0.

August 20, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
By Ranger
I am still perturbed over Goodison Park’s numerically small professional staff. At the moment they have only 33 professionals and of these four are part-timers and three are in the Forces. Some of the remainder such as Norman Grenehalgh, and Stan Bentham are old servants now in the eventide of their careers. They have been loyal and useful men in the past, and can still fill an emergency without letting down the side but to count on them for first-team duty for any length of time would be to expect too much. Apart from the fact that when the playing staff is small there is less competition for senior places –and competition for first-team ranking is a vital pre-requisite of fighting spirit and sustained keenness throughout the season –there is the grave possibility that even a comparatively moderate crop of injuries might put the club in a position where it would be extremely difficult o turn out a strong and sufficiently experienced side to do battle week after week. Everton had experience last season of how a succession of injuries could put them “on the spot,” At one period last winter there were over a dozen players under treatment for injuries for quite a lengthy spell, I tremble to think what the position would be if history itself in that direction. And what if Ted Sagar is laid aside? Sagar is one of football’s marvels. Now entering his 21st season, and close on 40 years of age, he is still one of the finest goalkeepers in the country. But who is to deputies should one be injured? Burnett is still on the open-t0-transfer list, J.A. Jones has not yet accepted the terms offered him, and at the moment of writing Everton’s only deputies to Sagar are two young players who, no matter how promising they may be lack experience of big time football. We saw last season with Preston how injury to a senior goalkeeper, with consequences reliance on an inexperienced player, could upset the whole of the club’s well-laid plans. When Gooch was hurt, Preston brought in Newlands, who for two or three months despite his obvious skill in many directions lacked that extra knowledge and experience that makes all the difference. There is still weaknesses on Everton’s extreme wings. They have been there so long that one had hoped that something would have been done before this. I don’t wish to be pessimistic. Yet I must confess a felling of anxiety regarding the Everton outlook. Nevertheless there are indications that are encouraging. It was good to see the practice match on Saturday, a much greater willingness on the part of the inside men to hit the ball hard and true in the direction of the goal rather than push the onus of shooting on to others. This was particularly so in the case of Wally Fielding, I yield to none in my admiration of Fielding as a forager of loose balls, a maker of openings, and a clever and talented dribbler but, as I have so often stressed, only goals count in the final reckoning. Fielding can get them if he will shoot more often. Another encouraging feature is that there were signs towards the end of last season of an all round improvement. With the work which Manager Cliff Britton and his coaches have put in since the players reported, this improvement may be accelerated and strengthened. Furthermore, there is an excellent feeling in the dressing-room, and in making Tommy Jones captain the club has chosen wisely. I would have liked to have seen him appointed when Grenehalgh relinquished the post. Farrell is a great-hearted player and a grand club man, but the cares of captaincy weighed heavily on him. Some of his lost form last season may be attributed to that. I should imagine Peter is glad to shed his responsibility. Unless I am mistaken, Tommy Jones will make as good a captain as Jock Thomson in pre-war days, and we all know how good that was. So good in fact, that even when Thomson was not in the side he was retained on the touchline as nonplaying captain, so that his advice, encouragement, and canny weighting-up of the state of a game and the needs of the moment could be available at all-times.

August 22 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
By Stork
Middlesbrough 0, Everton 1
There may have been an element of good fortune about Everton’s win, but it is not uncommon for them to go to Ayresome Park, and upset, calculations. Middlsbrough had their supporters impatient by the way they attacked, particularly in the second half for no reward. Middlesbrough will not forget Sagar Two years ago he played the game of his life to prevent Middlesbrough overwhelming Everton. He had not quite so much to do now, but he made a penalty save in the last minute to prevent a draw. He secret in penalty kick saving is “Leave the shooter space to shoot at and he is almost certain to aim for it.” Hardwicke did just that and Sagar had moved to the right spot to bring off the save. It was Wainwright who again got the only goal at 33 minutes, previously hitting the upright with Ugolini beaten Wainwright’s quick burst over twenty yards spilt the defence open. The Everton defence has never had to battle harder to success. Middlesbrough pounded it practically throughout the second half, but could not deliver the equalizing goal. Jones and company had to be on their toes all the time, and Saunders Dugdale and Jones fought a galliant battle against heavy odds. Three times Spuhler was offered scoring chances only to fall. Everton played good class football in the first half. There are still some weak, spots in the Everton’s side, but I would give the team a reasonable chance. One thing is certain we shall not see the spate of goals which hit them last term. The defence was very sure even with the ball-bouncing awkwardly on the bumpy turf

August 22, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton, up to a point were unlucky in not getting full points in an uninteresting game. Higgins missed a “sitter” then Catterick hitting two fine shots found Hall making delightful saves. Mitton kept a safe goal for Everton two of his clearance from Davidson and McKnight being noteworthy. Bentham showed good constructive play. Hobson was Blackpool’s –best forward.

August 22, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
With the heavy mid-week programme ahead of them Everton have suffered a major tragedy, for Ted Sagar, their brilliant goalkeeper not likely to be fit the match with Newcastle United at Goodison Park on Wednesday I am very much doubtful whether he will go ready for the derby game on the same ground on Saturday (write Stork). I saw that he had injured himself during the game with Middlesbrough but it was not until after the match that the least extent of the damage was known. Ted had twisted his ankle on a soft piece, yes there was one soft bit of turf at Ayresome Park, although the rest of it was like concrete. Sagar left something up as he moved for a ball, and knew that something was amiss. He played on although Jones took the goal kicks, and his part in Everton’s victory over Middlesbrough can be gauged by the fact that he saved a penalty in the last few seconds of the game. He had done many good things before that against a side when attacked incessantly the whole of the second half. How these Middlesbrough forwards failed to score was the amazing feature of the game which never reached a high standard. What football there was came from the Everton side for the Boro simply relied on methods which bore no resemblance to football as it should be known. The methods gave them territorial superiority. That was all. The North Easterners have spent lavishly to obtain a blend, but judged on their showing money cannot buy success and I fear the Boro are in for another worrying season. Everton were the better craftsmen. When they did move forward they did it by the accepted tactics of football, combination and co-ordination of they did not produce enough of it, and the second half “45” saw the Everton defence shoulder the whole of the burden and battle grimly to hold on to the Wainwright goal, scored at 35 minutes –Eddie had previously hit the woodwork. It was hard work, but it was work well done by each and every one of the defenders. The great thrill was Sagar’s penalty save from Hardwicke – Jones flatly denies that it was a penalty. It was something akin to the one Sagar made at Wolves –not quite so difficult, but difficult nevertheless. Arresome Park has been the scene of more than one “Sagar sensation; in fact, the defence has been the redeeming feature of the game with Borough over the last few years, and it was so on Saturday. Believe it or not, the Everton forwards did not make one single shot in the second half during which time Spuhler was offered three chances and failed with them all.

August 22, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
When pointing out last week the dilemma in which Everton might find themselves if Sagar was injured. I did not expect the position to eventuate so quickly. With Sagar likely to be unfit for some days at least, Everton’s choice –at the moment –rests between two reserves who through said to be promising, have had no senior experience. These are Keith Mitton, a 20-years-old amateur just demobilized and Jim O’Neill, an 18-years-old professional signed about a year ago after a trial run. George Burnett hitherto reserve Custodian, who has been on the transfer list around £7,000 is on the point of throwing in his lot with South Liverpool. He may sign within the next 24 hours. South being no-leaguers, would have no fee to pay.

August 22, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
“Despite the injury to Sagar it was still a merry party returning from Ayresome” writes Radar,” for you will recall that the Blues had not won away since last November 20. They never will have to strive harder to hold on to a goal lead than at Ayresome. Everton were much the more impressive side in the first half, during which Wainwright won the game following good work by McIntosh and Corr. Everton were defending throughout the second half, when not a single Everton shot was delivered, and the part of the Everton defensive plan of allowing opposing forwards the minimum of time in which to shoot was expertly carried out by Saunders, Dugdale and Jones. They timed tackles to the spilt second, and even discounting the Borough’s wastage of chances, Everton maintained command. All through Everton’s approach work was more considered and accurate. Neither winger was impressive, but McIntosh (he is soon to take up residence in Liverpool) always was menacing. Fielding schemed delightfully, but Wainwright was the leading marksmen, while Farrell and Lello saw to it that neither Mannion, nor McKenna had little in which to manoeurve. This was an encouraging performance, with Jones the master in defence and in the last second Sagar saved a penalty by Hardwick.

August 23, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Geordies Bring an Unchanged Side
Mid-week football enthusiasts come into their own again for the next few weeks. Tomorrow there is a big programme, with the Everton-Newcastle clash at Goodison taking premier place in the Merseyside orbit. Compared with last season, Newcastle line-out this term shows more changes than most clubs, though there are no new names in the side despite the Gordies efforts to sign Gordon Smith, of Hibs. Ben Craig was back in the team which lost to Portsmouth on Saturday after being absent all the second half of last season, and so was George Lowrie, the Welsh international inside forward, now fit after his cartilage trouble. Frank Houghton signed from Ballymena last year, will be a newcomer to Goodison fans. A half-back of outstanding ability he played some good games towards the end of last season. At one time Newcastle were inclined to make changes, sometimes rather sweeping ones, following a reverse, but the defeat of Portsmouth has not shaken their faith, and the same side will do duty against Everton. Team; Newcastle; Fairbrother; Craig, Batty; Houghton, Brennan, Dodgin; Walker, Robledo (G.), Milburn, Lowrie, Mitchell.
Everton will not announce their side until later. The injury to Sagar has been a nasty low, but fortunately it is yielding to treatment and rest and Ted may be right for the big game against Liverpool on Saturday. The goalkeeping berth is the only problem. Elsewhere the side is likely to be unchanged.

Liverpool Daily Post - Saturday 24 August 1940
The Mayoral Selection Committee of the Warrington Town Council have extended an invitation to Councillor J. C. Bardsley to next year’s Mayor in succession Alderman W. Roberts. This invitation is subject to the ratification of the Town Council at its next meeting. Councillor Bardsley has represented the Town Hall Ward Conservative since 1927. In his younger days played football for Everton an amateur, and later played Rugby League football with the Warrington team as wing three-quarter.

August 24, 1949. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
George Burnett, the former Liverpool Schoolboy player and Ted Sagar’s successor throughout the war years, will keep goal for Everton against Newcastle United at Goodison Park, this evening instead of playing for South Liverpool. This is the outcome of a heart-to-heart talk between Manager Cliff Britton and Burnett this morning. Burnett who joined the club 12 years ago direct from school played in one First Division game last season and was placed in the transfer-list in July at £7,000. Yesterday Burnett signed for South Liverpool but the contingency of the signing was that South Liverpool would tear up the form if Burnett was sought by a League club. Everton’s predicament, following the injury to Sagar at Middlesbrough, brought about the conference this morning, at which Mr. Britton and Burnett really sorted out problems and Burnett agreed to sign and actually went to the ground for a “workout.” Burnett is a goalkeeper of experience and his re-signing for Everton obviates the necessity of having to play a junior for such an important match. It is South Liverpool loss, but South realize that Everton’s needs come No 1. Everton; Burnett; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Tommy Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.

August 25, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 2, Newcastle United 1
By Leslie Edwards.
This was a match of full of incident, and Newcastle United players en route today for Birmingham (where they play on Saturday) will while away many a moment, wondering how they came to lose. By nearly all the laws of football they should have led 4-0 and not 1-0 at 36 minutes, the only law which they fell foul being the important one that the ball legitimately in the net is the only thing which counts. To cut what might well have been a long scoring story short it is only necessary to add that Lowrie scored for Newcastle at nine minutes and McIntosh and Wainwright (Penalty) for Everton at thirty-six and sixty-five minuets respectively. The rest of the tale is of contentious incidents and injury, most of it in the second half. Soon after Wainwright had scored his penalty, Corr and Batty had a head collision and both had to leave, and no sooner had Corr come back, forehead plastered then McIntosh suffered concussion and was carried off on a stretcher. It all ended happily with Batty and McIntosh both resuming, and Everton winning, but winning in such a way as to engender no sort of confidence in the minds of the 56,000 present.
Penalty Aggravation
Undoubtedly, the aggravation of the penalty against Dodgin caused this match to veer quickly from clam to stormy seas. There may be doubt in some minds about the handling; there is none so far as I am concerned. Dodgin handled deliberately if surreptitiously and he was a yard inside the box when he did so. It was on a linesman’s decision that the referee made the award. Newcastle, normally would have had Everton well beaten long before the interval. It was not that Newcastle forwards were so good, but rather that the Everton defence blundered three times in a way which left the way to goal wide open. Admittedly the electric Mitchell began brilliantly, but the Newcastle forwards were not all that good. Everton’s early play was fine, but their inspiration soon faded out. Three inside forwards with ideas used them, but not always did they get the right response from the wings. At the most testing moment I thought the stern and unrelenting Lello did magnificently and once Burnett left behind one or two “forgetting the ball” catches he was more than adequate. Fairbrother was great when getting his fingers a tremendous McIntosh drive. One could always see his fingers bent back by the impact.
Old Man Craig
Newcastle with old man Craig (more at home nowadays as a coach than a first team player) played supremely well if one forgets those classic mistakes in front of goal. Milburn, lashing in the big shot on the odd moment was dangerous, and the half-backs line was little, of any less effective than Everton’s. Lowrie’s goal came from a nicely taken gliding header from a free kick and once Burnett had moved a few yards out he was always likely to be beaten. Everton’s first goal arose from a free kick, too, and Eglington, who should have scored himself, kicked round the ball and left McIntosh the half chance on which he is so good. Even so Fairbroher all but kept the ball from inside of the post. Everton; Burnett, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (captain) and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding and Eglington, forwards. Newcastle United; Fairbrother, goal; Craig and Batty, backs; Houghton, Biennan, and Dodgin, half-backs; Walker, Robledo, Milburn, Lowrie and Mitchell, forwards.

August 25, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton Reserves provided the better type of football at Newcastle and deserved their win. There was better understanding between the winner’s half-backs and forwards, with Catterick, who scored the all important goal after fifteen minutes, always a dangerous leader and potential scorer. A feature of the game was the grand display of O’Neill, the young Everton goalkeeper, who on three occasions saved certain goals.
• Burscough 4, Everton “A” 1

August 25, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Everton’s Galliant Win
Ranger’s Notes
Although some of the Everton players received hard knocks in last night’s games against Newcastle United these were not serious enough to jeopardize their changes of being fit for Saturday’s home match with Liverpool. Jimmy McIntosh’s injury looked to be a bad affair when he had to be taken off on a stretcher, but happily he recovered from what turned out to be temporary concussion in time to return for the closing minutes. Corr had to have a stitch in a wound over his eye, Fielding has a slightest strained groin and Dugdale a nasty leg bruise. The main query regarding Saturday’s team still relates to Ted Sagar. His injured ankle has made nice progress during the week, but he must be regarded as very doubtful still Burnett will deputise if required.
The most noteworthy feature of Everton’s 2-1 win last night, was the splendid way in which the Blues fought back in the second half, for a long period of which they had only ten men. Newcastle had only themselves to blame that they lost both the points and the bonous. After they had taken the lead through Lowrie, who “converted” a free kick by Batty with a canny flick out of Burnett’s reach, they had chances enough to have had the game well won inside half an hour. In quick succession Milburn (twice) and Mitchell missed the earnest of chances, and then not one of their three inside forwards could tap the ball into the empty goal after Burnett had “missed his way” in running out. All these were glaring misses. During this half hour the Everton defence –even including the usually impregnable Jones –was shaky and indecisive and with Newcastle playing a five-abreast line in the attack, strongly backed by the wing halves, the outlook was not promising. They cut through the home defence without apparent effort, though they could not clinch their midfield superiority. But once Everton had equalized through McIntosh, thanks to a Jones free kick and a muffed effort by Eglington which gave McIntosh an unexpected opening the Blues began to get a grip of the game. McIntosh had the hardest of lines in falling to connect with a Corr centre soon after the restart, and put in the best shot of the night a few moments later. Everton’s fighting spirit, however, brought due reward at the 65th minute, when a shot by Corr struck Dodgin on the arm and referee Mortimer after consulting a linesman, gave the home side a penalty, with which Wainwright made no mistake. My own view, though not everyone will agree with it, is that the incident was a case of ball-t0-arm. Dodging had no chance of getting out of the way. He did not put his arm out to the ball; he was hit by it. Still it brought two very welcome points, and worthy consolation to a side which had fought with rare spirit and courage after a bad start, I’m certainly not complaining of anything which does that. In the second half the Everton rearguard settled down to some solid defensive work. Burnett, obviously out of practice and training more than made up for his early shakiness as also did the backs while Tommy Jones was once again at his best. The wing halves particularly Lello, were reliable and though the attack was disoragnised by the injuries to Corr and McIntosh it gave the Newcastle defence many anxious moments. One or two of the visitors got somewhat rattled after the penalty incident and in the closing stages play deteriorated considerably. Newcastle showed in the first half that immaculate approach work is no good without the right finishing touch. Once they were in arrears they but their polish and balance and duly paid for it.

August 26, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
This Will Be 83rd Game in the Long “Liverton” Series
Ranger’s Notes
Tomorrow’s Derby
Tomorrow marks one of the most eagerly anticipated matches of the Soccer season the annual tussle between Everton and Liverpool, and the 83rd game – war-time fixtures excluded – between those old rivals under the banner of the Football League. Honours at the moment rest with Everton, who have won 23 to Liverpool’s 26 with 21 drawn. I couldn’t careless about who wins tomorrow. If it’s the better side, well and good. If as so often happens, the luck is against the superior football combination but don’t ask me which that it –and justice in points is not done on the merits of the day’s play. Well it is all in the game. Fortune usually levels itself up over the season. Everton have started off in encouraging fashion with maximum points from their two opening games, thanks to victories over Middlesbrough and Newcastle. Last year their supporters had to wait until nine games had been played before there were four points in the kitty and nearly until the end of November before the Blues won an away fixture. Liverpool have not done so badly either, and will be fighting to the last ounce to register a victory over their friendly rivals across the park. So will Everton –to prevent it. As Sagar is not yet fir, Burnett deputises. Burnett has been getting in all possible practice and training since he re-signed on Wednesday and should be back to somewhere near the old form. His second-half display against Newcastle was tip-top. Payne passed his fitness test at Anfield, this morning, but Bill Jones did not, so Hughes continues at centre half. Hughes proved in the game against Stoke City that Liverpool need to have no fear when he holds the fort. He has rarely played a better game.
Well Matched Sides
This match looks like developing mainly into a tussle between the respective intermediate lines and the opposing attacking formations, Liverpool may be a little speedier and more direct in attack than the Blues and more willing to shoot when within reasonable distance, but if Parr keeps up Wednesday’s improved the Everton front line may give the Reds’ Usually solid and reliable defence something to think about. Stubbins and Tommy Jones, two of football’s cleanest and most sporting exponents will probably provide a keen duel for supremacy down the middle while Hughes even at his best will find Jim McIntosh a lively customer to pin down. There is not much more than a pin-points difference between the sides. May the better team get what it deserves. Everton; Burnett; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones (T.G), Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington. Liverpool; Sidlow; Shepherd, Lambert; Taylor, Hughes, Paisley; Payne, Baron, Stubbins, Balmer, Liddell.
In the reserves game at Anfield, kick off 11 am the sides will be;- Liverpool; Crossley; White, Parr; Fagan, Cadden, Spicer, Swift; Williams (R.), Done, Christie, Kippax. Everton; O’Neill; Moore, Clinton; Lindley, Humphreys, Grant; Higgins, Bentham, Catterick, Powell, Parker.
Transport to Goodison
For Goodison Park matches (Saturday only) Liverpool Corporation Transport announce that in addition to the normal city loading points at the Pier Head and Victoria Street, use is better made of Great Charlotte Street between Ranelaigh Street and Elliott Street for buses to Walton (spellow lane). Times of departure will vary with the kick-off times but in general will be from approximately one and a half hours prior to the start of the matches.

August 27, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
A Pioneer Feat
For the first time today’s report by Stork of the local “Derby” Everton v. Liverpool, was sent to the “Echo” office direct by radio via the newest equipment for modern reporting –the “Echo” Televan. The action pictures accompanying the report were also transmitted by radio from the ground to the “Echo” office. In the new achievement the “Echo” acknowledges with thanks the co-operation of Everton Football Club, Liverpool Police and the Post Office authorities.
Defenders Were Stars of “Derby” Day Exchanges at Goodison Park
Hectic Exchanges Gave Big Crowd Plenty of Thrills
But No Goals To Cheer!
Stork’s Report Via Echo Radio Van
Everton 0, Liverpool 0.
Everton; Burnett, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Liverpool; Sidlow, goal; Shepherd, and Lambert, backs; Taylor, Hughes, and Paisley, half-backs; Payne, Baron, Stubbins, Balmer (captain) and Liddell, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Williams (Bolton). “It is “derby” day, and there is nothing in Liverpool like a “derby” day. There is something in it which does not appear in an ordinary league match – the tremendous rivalry of the fans and the keenest of the players for instance. As a general rule “derby” games are spotlessly clean and more or less open, and today it was as wide open as a barn door. Both teams have had their successes this season –Everton with two victories and Liverpool with one and a half share away from home – so on form there was little between them. As usual there was a tremendous crowd. Half an hour before the kick-off the ground looked packed and it would not surprise me if the record 78,299 was approached, if not beaten.
A Wonderful Slight
This is a new experience for me to comment in this way. Normally I am in telephonic contact with the Echo, and it was an historic occasion. I believe this is the first time in football history that a match has been reported by radio. The lord and Lady Mayoress (Alderman and Mrs J.J. Cleary) were present. Looking round the ground it looked a wonderful sight, and most of the gates were closed long before the start. As is usual in these local “derbies” the players came in pairs, led by the respective captains, Jack Balmer and Tommy Jones.
The Battle Begins
Dean on time the battle began and Liverpool, after a short rally in midfield, broke through and Baron seemed to be offered a chance, but it was not as good a chance as it looked, for the ball was just a shade in front of him, and Burnett was able to come out and clear. This led to a heated little argument between Liverpool and the Everton defence, and when Farrell fouled Balmer in more of a mix up than a foul it gave Liverpool the advantage of a free kick, but Payne lobbed the ball over the bar. Stubbins tried to place Balmer, but Jones stepped in to clear. The early minutes had gone to Liverpool credit, without any hurt to Everton. There was a roar of dismay when Lambert made a back-pass which sped beyond his goalkeeper and away for a corner. It was taken by Corr and, as usual, Tommy Jones came up. He got the ball but could not control if so that he could pressure it for a shot. Back came Liverpool through their left flank and while the attack looked menacing, it did not turn out that way for the Everton defence closed its ranks perfectly. The duels between the two young men of the sides, Payne and Dugdale, were interesting, and at this point neither could claim any great advantage over the other. Stubbins twice showed unselfishness in making a pass to what he considered a better-placed colleague, when some thought he might have “had a go.”
Defences on Top
McIntosh, who was moving about in his usual canny manner, tried to get Corr away, but the Irish winger found Lambert a stumbling block in the real sense of the word, for Corr actually fell in a tackle and could not regain his feet in time to catch up with the swiftly running ball, which went for a goal kick. At this point Everton were enjoying a spell of attack, but if one could glean anything from what had gone before, this game was going to be a triumph for defences. So far, neither had flattered under whatever pressure they had to bear. Saunders sliced a clearance and Dugdale was guilty of a mis-header and shortly afterwards Liverpool gained a corner and Payne took a leaf out of Corr’s book with a perfect centre. Burnett came out for the ball, touched it forward and then went on to make a complete clearance. I noticed he was shaking his hand afterwards as though he had hurt himself.
Good Chance Missed
Stubbins twice bounced the ball on his foot, in an effort to deceive Saunders, but the idea did not prove successful, for it was the Everton full back who took the ball. Corr and Fielding engineered a movement which culminated in the ball being swept across by Fielding right to Eglington’s head. The left winger was close enough into goal to have opened the day’s score but he failed to fine the target.
Liddell “Special”
Stubbins, beaten Dugdale several times before he finally glided the ball forward to Payne who promptly sent it hurtling into the middle where Liddell came along with a terrific shot which crashed against the upright. It came back to the same player, but this time Liddell fired widely over. This was the spur of things to send the crowd crazy. Scene would consider that Liverpool were a shade unlucky not to be in front considering they had hit the woodwork, but Evertonians would rightly say that they should had two goals, for Eglington was afforded another chance, and the ball came to his “right” foot, which of course is his left but he screwed his show wide of the mark.
An Everton Rally
Hereabouts, Everton were attacking and Wainwright did his best to set McIntosh off, but Lambert was just a shade too quick, and was able to push the ball back to Sidlow. A half-second later Wainwright strode up to a ball with the intention of carrying away the back netting, but he failed to connect with the ball which went out to Corr. Before he could get it under control he was dispossessed. There was a big shout from the Liverpoolians when Stubbins took advantage of a Jones miscalculation and moved in to shoot but the autburn-haired centre lofted the ball over the bar.
Goalmouth Incidents
Saunders stepped in the way of a Liddell centre, and the result was a corner which should, in the normal course of things have proved of value but this one did not because the flag kick fell short. Corr came along with another good length centre, but McIntosh was beaten just in the nick of time. Backwards and forward the game swayed and Liddell crossed the ball from the goal-line, over to Payne who, however, had run just a shade too far forward, so that the ball passed behind, and to an Everton defender.
Hot on the Trail
Liverpool were hot on the trail of a goal and Payne was only just foiled at the last second by Dugdale. The ball, however, was not cleared away, and Taylor slipped it over to Balmer, who with a neat back-heel saw Liddell with the his strong and forceful tactics try to beat through something which in his case at all events was too strong for him. Nevertheless Liverpool were putting in some work, and it the combined efforts of Everton to prevent trouble. After Corr and Fielding had got together to crack the ball into Sidlow’s hands. Liddell fired off one of his specials from 24 yards out. But it was well for Burnett that it was cannoned out, for it would have been a troublesome moment for him, as there was any amount of power behind the shot. So far there had not been a dull moment. In fact, it was grand stuff with both teams producing goal incidents, good defence and sound attacking ideas. What more could a football fan desire? Fielding suffered a slight injury which brought about the first stoppage. Everton were awarded a free kick and Lello swept the ball over to the right wing where Corr and Wainwright stood in waiting. The ball came to Wainwright’s head and then straight into Sidlow’s arms.
Sidlow in Action
Another free-kick to Everton, this time by Farrell and again Wainwright called upon Sidlow. Near the interval a corner to Liverpool led to a spot of trouble in the Everton goalmouth, which only came to an end with a fiery drive by Taylor which hit Tommy Jones in flight. Almost straight from this Corr put in a shot under the Liverpool crossbar which Sidlow patted out. It came back to Wainwright, who, although in an awkward position, tried unsuccessfully to stub the ball over the line.
Half-time; Everton 0, Liverpool 0
The first few minutes of the second half were on the quiet side, but then Everton got together and Farrell, backing up his attack, opened a way for Corr. The winger twice found the ball coming back to him after he had delivered it into the goalmouth, and on the third occasion he put the ball right across the field, but again the Liverpool defenders came out successfully. Later Wainwright with one of his terrific bursts of speed, almost caught the Liverpool defence standing, for he was only subdued in the last second. McIntosh shot outside from an offside position, and then Corr, who was showing greatly improved form decided to lend his aid in defence, but his pass back did not reach the desired spot. It went to a Liverpool man, who promptly swung the ball into the Everton goalmouth, were Dugdale breasted it back to Burnett. McIntosh twice slewed the ball outside and a much nearer thing to a goal came when Baron hit a really hot one, which Burnett saved with every confidence. The Everton goalkeeper saved again this time from a Stubbins header.
Delightful Duels
It was end-to-end football, and then Wainwright, using his speed forced a corner of Sidlow, but it was not productive. At this stage Everton were showing slightly the better form; they were more open in their tactics this half, now that the Liverpool defence had more to look after. Duels between Stubbins and Jones were a delight to watch. If one beat the other it was by football skill only. It had to be granted, however, that Jones was more often than not in command. Everton gained another corner, and when Fielding shot Shepherd kicked off the goalline. This was somewhat of a let-off, but not more so than when Liverpool carried play into Everton quarters and how the ball failed to finish in the net goodness only knows.
Chances Missed
Baron for one, should have scored but there were opportunities for others which were not accepted. Fielding, McIntosh and Corr got together in a three-piece-suite which ended when Corr dropped the ball in the Liverpool goalmouth close in so close that Sidlow had to save.
Successful Challenges
This game slowed down a lot, no doubt due to the heat of the day, Lello who had done magnificently all through “found” Corr with a free kick but the Irishman was challenged successfully by Lambert. There was one occasion when Liverpool promised trouble for Burnett and Jones had came back to check Stubbins long enough to give Burnett time to make a flying catch.
Great Chance –Gone!
Wainwright made a hook shot which passed high over, but when the Everton inside right made his next move it should have been labeled “goal” for he put the ball on a plate for Eglington, who instead of shooting passed the ball right across the face of the goal. Whether Eglington fought he was offside or not I do not know, but there is a rule of football which says “Play the whistle” and it had not sounded. A little later Wainwright headed into Sidlow’s hands, and at this point Everton were well on top. An intended clearance by Dugdale cannoned off Stubbins to let in the Liverpool leader who tried to run the ball along the goal line, but his final move was too strong. Wainwright had another tilt with Sidlow but the goalkeeper proved one too many for him.
Hairline Decision
McIntosh was caught in a hair-line off-side decision, nevertheless it was a correct one. Everton’s football was along the carpet, and it seemed leisurely sort of staff yet it created much trouble to the Liverpool defence. Hughes who had been jas tas solid at centre half for Liverpool as Jones had been for Everton was almost beaten by McIntosh who, however, was guilty of a push. It had been all attack on Everton’s part in this half, yet Shepherd surprised spectators and the Everton team into the bargain, with a long ball from the touchline which flashed across the Everton crossbar and Burnett had to edge it away for a corner. Final; Everton 0, Liverpool 0. Official attendance; 70,812.

August 27, 1949. The Liverpool Football Echo
Liverpool Res; Crossley, goal; White and Parr, backs; Fagan, Cadden and Spicer, half-backs; Swift, Williams (R.R.), Done, Christy and P. Kippax, forwards. Everton Res; O’Neill, goal; Moore and Clinton, backs; Lindley, Humphreys, and Grant, half-backs; Higgins, Bentham (captain), Catterick, Powell and Parker, forwards. Referee; M r. C.B. Broome (Blackpool). The Central League “derby” was played at Anfield this morning. Liverpool dominated the early exchanges but it was ten minutes before O’Neill was really tested by Christie with a hard grounder at the foot of the post. Everton responded with a snap attack, but Catterick sent high over the bar with only Crossley to beat. Despite Liverpool’s pressure a surprise goal fell to Everton at the 40th minute. Catterick sent in a hard drive, the ball cannoned off Crossley’s legs, and Parker had no difficulty in netting.
Half-time; Liverpool Reseres 0, Liverpool Reserves 1.
Bentham and Catterick had left the field with minor injuries, but resumed on the restart which opened with an exciting melee in the Everton goalmouth, shots coming from all angles. Hardly had the danger been cleared before Fagan accepted Spicer’s square pass to level matters. Five minutes later Fagan put Liverpool in front, O’Neill mishandling the high shot. Ten minutes from the end Liverpool broke away on the left and Williams converted Kippax’s centre. Caterrick reduced Everton’s deficit. Final; Liverpool Res 3, Everton Res 2.

August 27, 1949. The Evening Express
Fagan’s’Double’ In Odd Goal Success
By Pilot
Liverpool Reserves won the Central League “Derby” with Everton Reserves at Anfield this morning 3-2. Liverpool Res; Crossley, goal; White and Parr, backs; Fagan, Cadden and Spicer, half-backs; Swift, Williams (R.R.), Done, Christy and P. Kippax, forwards. Everton Res; O’Neill, goal; Moore and Clinton, backs; Lindley, Humphreys, and Grant, half-backs; Higgins, Bentham (captain), Catterick, Powell and Parker, forwards. Referee; M r. C.B. Broome (Blackpool). Liverpool stated the more compact in the opening minutes. O’Neill the young Irish goalkeeper, was impressive in the Everton goal, and save from Christie being really brilliant. The Liverpool half-backs were in command of the situation and apart from one shot by Catterick, which Crossley saved the Everton forwards were kept in subjection. There were about 2,000 spectators, led by the directors and officials of both clubs and they saw entertaining if not exactly exciting fare. Bentham was injured after 32 minutes and went to outside-right, with Higgins inside.
Parker’s Goal
Towards the interval Everton settled down in attack. Despite the handicap of the Bentham injury, and in 40 minutes they took the lead through Parker, who dashed in after Crossley had made a good save, but failed to hold the ball. A minute from the interval Catterick injured a knee in collision, and was taken to the touchline, so Everton finished the first half with only nine men, Bentham having gone to the dressing room as soon as the goal was scored. Half-time; Liverpool Reserves 0, Everton Reserves 1. Bentham and Catterick resumed after the interval, Bentham at outside-right and Catterick with his right knee bandaged. Within 11 minutes Liverpool had not only equalized but had taken the lead, and it was fitting that one of the most consummate footballers of the game should score the goal –Fagan. In 50 minutes Spicer pushed the ball across for Fagan to equalize with a terrific shot. Only the brilliance of Crossley prevented Parker from regaining the lead, Crossley being injured temporarily in the process, and then O’Neill was injured in saving from Williams. In 56 minutes Fagan scored with a dropping free kick from 45 yards, O’Neill failing in his attempt to fist away when beset by two opponents, the ball dropping over his head into the net. Higgins had a chance to equalize when he broke through at centre forward, but he shot hastily and outside with his left foot.
Lead Increased
Liverpool increased their lead in 77 minutes with an accurate header by Williams from a Kippax centre and only the vigilance of Crossley prevented Powell from reducing the lead. Play became very interesting, Everton fighting back well against a superior force, despite having only three fit forwards. In 78 minutes Catterick brought Everton back into the game with a chance, when he reduced the lead from short range, but Liverpool were still the more convincing. O’Neill saved well from Done’s free-kick, while Crossley dashed out to save after Higgins had broken through on his own. This was Everton’s first defeat in the Central League this season, and Liverpool’s second win within a week. Final; Liverpool Res 3, Everton Res 2.

August 27, 1949. The Evening Express
Vast Ground See 83rd Encounter
By Pilot
The 83rd Merseyside Derby between Everton and Liverpool was viewed before another vast crowd at Goodison Park today, with both team’s still unbeaten this season and Everton with maximum points. Their was no crushing and no crowding. Although the stands appeared full 25 minutes before the start, there was ample doom for the late comers. Liverpool had struck its first “Derby” blow when in the morning they won the Central League duel at Anfield. Liverpool were without Bill Jones who was injured, Hughes continuing at centre half, while Ted Sagar, who of all contemporary players had played in more “Derbies” than any had a seat in the Press Box and give an assurance that he is going on well. The Lord Mayor, Alderman J.J. Cleary, and the Lady Mayoross graced this great gathering of their sporting citizens on a pitch which did credit to groundsman Ted Storry and his staff, but which was rather too hard for the general liking of the players, just as the humidity was more in keeping with summers pastimes. Incidentally I think this must be one of the earliest dates ever for the local “Derby.” There was a diversion just before the teams came out when police were getting spectators gown from railings in the Church corner of the ground and officers even climbed on the walls themselves to get them down. Everton; Burnett, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Liverpool; Sidlow, goal; Shepherd, and Lambert, backs; Taylor, Hughes, and Paisley, half-backs; Payne, Baron, Stubbins, Balmer (captain) and Liddell, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Williams (Bolton). Balmer won the toss and elected to defend the new goal double-decker, so giving Everton the advantage of what little breeze there was. A misplaced pass by Fielding straight to Balmer enabled the Reds to make the first thrust, but Burnett thought and acted quickly enough to come out and take possession when Baron was racing through. The first free kick came to Liverpool when Balmer was brought down, but Payne could do no more than centre behind. The first corner of the game went to Everton –a gift from Ray Lambert who misdirected a pass back to Sildow.
Aid To Reds
Jones came up in the hope of nodding a goal, but this was rather an aid to Liverpool, for they whipped the ball up the field to Stubbins, who ran on dangerously until Saunders managed to head him off and clear to touch. Liverpool were much faster on the ball and Payne surprised the Blues by coming inside to pick up a ball bearing the Everton label, but a hurried mustering of forces enabled Everton to retrieve the position.

August 29, 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
A Glorious Exhibition
Everton 0, Liverpool 0. Attendance 70,000
By Leslie Edwards
This match, so empty of goals and enmity, was on the other hand, admirably full of everything the spectators likes. I have never seen a better between the clubs. Most of us, I daresay, went home purring not because either club has escaped defeat, but because the game was wholly satisfying in its football content, and because the sides never once fell foul of each other in the stress of fierce encounter. It was a game of two phases. Liverpool’s in a first half fought at tremendous speed; Everton’s rather unexpectedly in the second half when they contrived chances to win once Liverpool faded and the Everton right wing came into the game with a flourish and an almost unending flow of centres. Difficult as it is, in a match of this kind, to name the day’s best. I believe Balmer has never before played more brilliantly and in face of Liverpool’s sorry tale of good shots – almost to be numbered on the thumb of one hand-one is left with the thought that his play merits superlatives. He showed more devil than usual and, for once, every finesse he attempted found the right football card in the right hand. Not surprising the Liverpool inside forwards for one half at least, progressed splendidly despite the strange ineffectiveness for the most part of Liddell and Payne. During Liverpool’s best spell too, Baron played better than I have ever seen him play and all three half-backs formed the base from which the ball went out unceasingly to the attack in a most acceptable way.
Stubbins on Sixpence
Stubbins with the best sixpenny piece dribble he has ever produced and normally, this is one of his forces was responsible for his side’s best chance of the day, and Liddell was luckless enough to hit a post when all seemed set for the crowning touch to what would have been a wonderful piece of attacking. How the initiative was taken up by Everton and what they did with it is the story of the second half. Almost from the time it began Everton sensed that Liverpool were not maintaining their pace, and when Paisley received a knock and remained on the field, though plainly not fit, Everton began to lay on heavily on their right wing. Until then McIntosh, a man with a great footballing brain, had been the man Liverpool feared most. Wainwright and Corr began to get the measure of Paisley and Lambert at a time when the sun and Liverpool’s chances were lowering and Eglington who seemed overcome at finding himself alone with the ball and only Sidlow’s back netting to hit, missed the easiest chance of several which came his side’s way. Fielding always best when Everton are on top, saved his made to measure passes for this vital phrase of a great match.
Jones On Top
In Everton’s spell on top, Jones (who had occasionally been beaten by the ruse of Stubbins feint to go one way while moving in the opposite direction) directed operations in the comfort of a man who knew the worst defensively, was over and Lello, who rivals Paisley for doggediness and refusal to be beaten in the tackle or in the clinch was a fine aide and so was Farrell whose first half had been excellent too. Admittingly Lambert’s overweight of work who Paisley was not moving well in the game, all full backs had a good match, particularly and Burnett with flying catches and one grand save from Baron and Sidlow (on the floor when he stopped Wainwright’s shot) were faultless goalkeepers. This happened to be a game easy to handle, but that detracts little from the work of Mr., Holt, of Rochdale, who except for the most minor blemish took charge and took referring honours. He would be too much to expect all Everton-Liverpool matches to reach the standard of football and of deportment attained by this, but the twenty-two professional footballers can make it a great exhibition of thrilling football, rather than a venture with football continually ruined is a fine tribute to the modern player and his desire to observe the spirit and the letter of the law. More power to them all.

August 29 1949. The Liverpool Daily Post
Liverpool were fortunate winners of the Reserves Day by 3 goals to 2 at Anfield. Everton lost Bentham (injured) then Catterick (who later had also to retire) gave them an interval lead. Both players resumed in the second half but the versatile Fagan, put Liverpool in front with two perfect goals, and Williams added a third before Catterick reduced the deficit.
• Earle 2, Everton “A” 1
• Everton “B” 3, Skelmersdale Res 3

August 29, 1949. The Liverpool Echo
Example of How The Game Should Be Played
Ranger’s Notes
If we can count on the game standard of clean, sporting, and thrilling football for the rest of the season as we had in Saturday’s “derby” game, then there won’t be many disgruntled cash customers. The only thing lacking to make this a memorable day was a few goals to add the finishing touch. Maybe the game wasn’t an absolute classic, but for constant cut-and-thrust, fluctuation and sustained high tension it would take some beating. The 70,812 spectators kept up an almost constant roar of encouragement that even the most fervent Hampden Park crowd could not have excelled. They cheered, groaned and gasped in succession as play veered like lightning from end to end, and the players sweated and struggled in the sultry, energy-sapping conditions. At half-time I remarked to a colleague that they wouldn’t be able to keep up the terrific pace to the bitter end. I visualized a second half telling off to a finish in inverse ratio to the hectic first-half, I was wrong. They went at it Ding-dong to the last second and right to the end it was anybody’s game. A goal one way or the other would have brought the scorers two points. That a goal seldom looked like eventuating was due mainly to the splendid defence of both sides. I am not going to single individuals out for special mention, for the simple reason that every defender on the field played his part well and with complete confidence. Maybe Everton did will just a trifle in the first tem minutes or so under Liverpool’s battering tactics but they soon recovered and settled down to a well-knit and satisfactory display. My reading of the game was that Liverpool were slightly better in the first half, thanks mainly to the splendid work of Paisley and Taylor in providing lovely through passes for their forwards and to the speed and thrust of Stubbins and Balmer, well supported by Baron. Do what they would however, the Reds could not find a loophole in the defence of Tommy Jones and company. Liddell came nearest to scoring with a pile-driver that hit the foot of the post, followed by an over-the-bar effort straight from the rebound. Everton were not by any means overplayed this half, however. They had almost as many chances as Liverpool, but without calling on Sidlow as often as Burnett was in action. Eglington was remiss with a couple of good openings.
Defence Supreme
Everton had the better of the argument after the resumption, but their attack could not master Liverpool’s defence. It was a day, in fact, when the respective defences had a tight grip on the game throughout, though not to the extent or completely subduing the opposing forwards. There were many good combined movements, from both attacks, but they all collapsed before real danger threatened either goal. Strangely enough-despite Everton’s second half territorial superiority, Burnett had rather more work to do than Sidlow. And right well he did it. While he is in this form Everton need have no anxiety about the last line of defence during Sagar’s absence. Both sets of backs were excellent with Lambert, to my mind, the best of the lot. The two centres halves gave a brilliant display, Tommy Jones, just sauntered through the game, despite Stubbins, speed and dash, while the wing halves did all that could be expected. Most encouraging aspect of the Everton attack was the form of Corr. If he keeps that up one of the two wing problems will have been solved. Jim McIntosh never got out of the clutches of Hughes, who has rarely played a better game. Everton’s inside forwards could make no more real impression against the opposing halves, than Liverpool’s against Farrell and Lello. They did well up to a point –then found themselves clamped down or crowded out. In most cases there is something unsatisfying about a goalless draw. This was one about which none could complain. The game had thrills, excitement and interest throughout and was fought out from start to finish in such a grand sporting spirit that Referee Williams could almost have been dispensed with. Those who maintained that foul play is on the increase found no support here. This was an example and object lesson of how games should be fought. Thanks for the memory to all concerned. And a word of congratulation to Everton for their organization. The hugh crowd was handled without a single hitch or any kind.
Everton’s team at Newcastle on Wednesday, is the same as that which drew with Liverpool. Ted Sagar started training this morning. Football’s unluckiest player must be Stan Bentham, the Everton forward. He received an injury in the junior “derby” game at Anfield on Saturday morning, and a “break” in the ankle is suspected. He is to have an X-Ray.

August 30, 149. Evening Express
Pilot’s Log (Don Kendall)
Everton take an unchanged team to Newcastle today, halting at York overnight. Everton’s brilliant defence should lay the foundations for a point. The United faded after a bright opening here last week and Everton won 2-1. Everton; Burnett; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.

August 30, 149. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s task at Newcastle will not be rendered any easier by the fact that the Geordies have not yet got a point. Newcastle failure to date will make the home eleven fight all the harder to bring thus unsatisfactory state of affairs to an end. They are too good a side to remain in this position long. If they had been half as effective in finishing as they were in approach work Newcastle would have had last week’s game at Goodison well won by half-time. Everton, however, have already shown up that they have a fighting spirit which is even better than in the closing stages of last season. They can come with increased power in the last half hour, which is a useful asset, and if they can hit back against Newcastle as they did against Liverpool on Saturday, than they will give the home team something to think about. Newcastle; Fairbrother; Craig, Batty; Houghton, Brennan, Dodgin; Walker, Robledo, Milburn, Taylor, Mitchell. Everton; Burnett; Saunders, Dugdale; Farrell, Jones, Lello; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, Eglington.





August 1949