Everton Independent Research Data


December 6, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
The game between Everton and Middlesbrough on the Ayresome Park enclosure, resulted in a draw, though on the general run of the play Everton were fortunate in securing a division of points. It was remarkable, however, that Middlesbrough obtained a goal was in the nature of a grit. This services to emphisize the fact that while the spoils do not always go to the better team a lucky chance may eventually play a great part in the distribution of honours. The home team were the greater aggressors, and on the chance that came their way it would not have occasioned surprise had they won in comfortable fashion. At the same time the value of the defensive work of the Everton team could not possibly be over estimated. When at times all seemed hopeless there was a resource forthcoming that levelled up matters, and provided a stimulus sufficiently encouraging to any set of forwards. There were several instances of clever anticipation, and daring dashes by the Everton rearguard, and none caught the eve more than a challenge by Harris to Hall, who had completely run through the defence, and was about to apply the finishing touch to what must have resulted in a certain goal. The half-back took a great risk, and was damaged but he accomplished his object and saved his side.

During the early portion of the game there was little difference in the style of play adopted by both sets of forwards. As attacking lines they indulged in some clever footwork in their progess towards goaL, but both met with sturdy opposition when it came to close quarters. It was obvious that methods should be varied and while Everton continued the short passing style of play, the home forwards changed their tactics and in the later stages especially commanded the situation in the only possible way. They swung the ball from wing to wing in a manner that quite upset the methodical calculations of the Everton half-backs and one result of their persistent attack almost brought about a leading point close on time when a drive from Thackeray rebounded from the crossbar. The goals that were recorded may be briefly alluded to. The game had only been four minutes in progress when call put out to common. The latter tipped the ball over Balmer's head, and following up, sent in a slow ground shot, which Scott reached. The ball however, slipped though his hands, and recovering it, he cleared, but the referee ruled that it had crossed the line. Twenty minutes later Coleman, with splendid judgement slipped the ball between Verrill and Watson, and evading a charge pounced upon the leather and gave Williamson absolutely no chance of clearing. It was a brilliant effort and quite the tit-bit of the game.

As may be gathered, there was little room for adverse criticism in Everton's back play. The work of Clifford and Balmer was most effective, although in the closing stages, when the Middlesbrough forwards were desperate for a leading point, they were somewhat over run. Still Scott was there, and those, and though he presented the home side with a point, he kept an otherwise good goal. The half-backs played a hard, untiring game, and more was kept more busily employed than Harris, who looked well after Hall and Thackeray. Borthwick continue to improve, and played by no means a small part in the proceedings, while Makepeace completed a most successful half back line. The forwards were best represented on the right, with Coleman as the star visit of the line. His goal was a beauty, with a least one other effort merited a tangible point. Freeman was unlucky, in spite of being well shadowed, and one of his efforts, immediately after the resumption was useless ordinary circumstances full value for a goal. Left wing play was somewhat discounted by the ineffectiveness of Turner, who rarely seemed to let himself go, though frequently plied with opportunities by Young, who was as clever as he was unselfish. Teams : - Middlesbrough: - Williamson, goal, McLeod, and Watson, backs, Aitken, R. Young, and Verrill, half-backs, Bloomer, Common, Cail, Hall, and Thackeray, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goals, Clifford, and R Balmer, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Turner, forwards. Referee T. Rowbotham.

Athletic News - Monday 06 December 1909
Middlesbrough 1 Everton 1
By Vulcan.
Everton were extremely fortunate in getting away from Ayresome Park with a point to their credit, though the result was a gain of a point to Middlesbrough as compared with last season's match. The game, a most exciting one from start to finish, was played on a frost-bound ground, in foggy weather, before twelve thousands spectators, whose enthusiasm was unbounded as Middlesbrough fought valiantly against a solid defence for supremacy. The home team dropped Pentland, Bloomer being once more tried at outside right. Everton had their old side out, except Borthwick for Taylor (injured). Middlesbrough were much the cleverer team as a whole, the front line being well ahead of Everton’s quintette, except at centre forward. Here Freeman was magnificent, the sterling play of Young at centre-hall alone checkmating many of his brilliant individual efforts.
Inside five Common raced away, and. beating Balmer, whipped In a straight, low shot.  Scott got down to the ball, but it slipped from his grasp and dribbled over the goal line. A miskick by Clifford in attempting to clear from Bloomer nearly brought further disaster, Scott being very smart in getting at the ball and clearing it away.  Middlesbrough were much the more persistent in their attacks, and were very frequently almost on top of the Everton custodian.  At length Makepeace tested Williamson with a hot drive. The custodian slipped and fell, but recovered his feet before Freeman could reach him. However, Coleman secured the ball fifteen yards out and beat Williamson with a beautifully judged, oblique shot, the scores being level after twenty-five minutes. Sharp and Freeman were responsible for some really high class play, but Young failed to net the ball from his centre’s admirable pass. Thackeray sent across into goal.  Cail nipped in, and, as Scott came out, put to Bloomer. The last named, standing some three yards out with no one in goal, skied the ball over the crossbar, thus losing the chance the match. After the interval the game ruled almost entirely in the home team’s favour, though once Williamson distinguished himself with a glorious save from the Everton centre. Twice claims by Middlesbrough for penalty kicks were overruled. On the second occasion a visiting player handled the ball in front of the Everton goal, but the referee had not seen the offence and refused the appeal.
At other times chances went a begging through over anxiety. Thackeray had a most unfortunate time of it. He was the star performer of the day, centring the ball accurately, and shooting like a centre. Scott saved two fine efforts from the extreme left wing man, while a third rattled the cross bar, the ball spinning away out of play on the other side. Scott took risks, but they were justified by results. Clifford and Balmer were fine backs, while Harris Makepeace were the pick of a grand middle line. Sharp and Freeman were the shining lights, forward, where there was a lack of combination. On the home side Williamson acquitted himself in his usual cool and safe style. M’Leod and Watson were powerful defenders, while Young again stood out as a centre half of great merit, his judicious heading and fine turn of speed being potent factors in the game. Aitken and Verrill, too, played up their best form, and gave the Everton vanguard a warm time of it.  Bloomer put in many pretty and effective touches, but his shooting was third-rate. Common worked splendidly right through the game, and is just now showing form almost up to his finest of bye-gone days.  Call, I have already said, was disappointing. Hall was in good trim, and always a source of danger.  Middlesbrough.—Williamson;  M'Leod, Watson; Aitken. Young, Verrill; Bloomer, Common, Cail, Hall. Thackeray. Everton.—Scott: Clifford, Balmer: Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Coleman. Freeman, Young, Turner. Referee: T. J. Rowbotham, Nottingham.

Athletic News - Monday 06 December 1909

December 6, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 14)
By the odd goal in three Everton accounted for Southport Central at Goodison Park on Saturday. The proceeds of the match were set apart for the benefit of the widow and family of the late Tom Marriott, but unfortunately the attendance like the game was feeble in the extreme. In the initial half the Blues enjoyed the bulk of the play, and White twice pierced the Sandgrounders goal. After the interval Southport showed a vast improvement and although Berry was only once defeated by Starbrick (W), they had innumerable opportunities, which were usually lost through indifferent shooting and lack of the necessary dash at close quarters. The only interesting item of the match was the display of Maconnachie, who throughout played a dashing and scientific game and was undoubtedly in a class by himself. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie, backs, Allen, Webster, and Weller, half-backs, Michael, Lacey, Jones, White, and Mountford, forwards .

Athletic News- Monday 13 December 1909
William Scott (Everton)
By Polyphemus
“I have no ambitions to see a goodlier man.”  (The Tempest).
Dear Bill,- if the populace of any town should be capable of appreciating the merits of good goalkeeping, their residence should spell “L-i-v-e-r-p-o-o-l,” for in Sam Hardy and yourself the first class organizations of the Shipping City possess real “clippers.”   Coming from Derbyshire, one is not surprised to find Hardy in the top flight, but you cannot claim the Peak County for a birthplace.  You are a “broth of a bhoy” from the “Ould Country,” and, if one was not already aware of the fact, a few minutes’ conversation wid ye would be sufficient to prove you guilty.  Not that you are “green” in any way, but merely that you have the faculty of expression peculiar to your countrymen at time, and “have a way wid ye.” That is all. 
Mention of the emerald colours reminds me of a story told me concerning one of your compatriots who was signed by an English team.  On arriving in this country, he was met by someone who had been deputed to see him safely to his destination, and whilst travelling in the train your countryman became strangely silent, and fixed his gaze for many minutes at a time upon the scenery through which he was passing.  “How do you think you will like this country?” he was asked.  “Well,” he replied, “I ‘m a bit disappointed, and yet, I’m not.  There’s no difference between this place and at home, so there’s not.  Even the grass is the same colour as we have it in Ireland.  But, there, it’ll save me going colour blind, and perhaps help me to make a hit.”   He even found consolation in the colour of the grass.  Happy individuals your people, will.  Like all good goalkeepers, you claim that successful players in your position on the field are born and not made.  The same remark is allied to the genius, but passing over the pretty conceit, it seems a little hard upon our other colleagues in play that they are seldom considered in the same light.  I will not dwell upon the matter, but as Jack Point says when he finds someone else embracing his sweetheart, “I can’t let that pass,” without a word for the others.  At the same time I admit your genius for goalkeeping.  ‘Twas not always thus with you, however, for in your junior days you were a budding Southworth, and doubtless allowed your zeal to carry you into the goal, and the goalkeeper- many times and oft.  Retribution followed fast upon you, for one fine day you played unsigned as a “sub” for some neighbouring team, and occupied the post of custodian.   There you have remained to this day, for many centre-forwards to scheme revenge upon you for past deeds – and mis deeds, but I must confess that their success in that line has not been so frequent as to cause excessive jubilation on their part.  Prior to arriving in this country you had three seasons with Linfield, and in five years from accidentally taking up your role as goalkeeper you appeared at Parkhead, and assisted your country to a triumph over Scotland.  In addition to this honour you possessed yourself of Irish League and Cup medals, and finally, sighing for fresh worlds to conquer, cast the Belfast people into gloom by coming to England.  Arrived at Goodison Park you were destined to a period of waiting, for “Dick” Roose was guardian-in-chief of the Everton premises.  Your chance did come, however, and you did not allow it to slip.  Others are waiting now, but will have to wait a long time, I’m thinking.  Since your association with Everton you have added the English Cup medal to your collection, and the only missing trophy can be supplied by your team winning the League championship.  They have been very near their objective on a few occasions, only to have their hopes shattered at the finish, and indications point to you having to wait still longer for the fulfilment of your aspirations in this respect.  Of course, you goalkeepers are just as liable to have your “off” days as anyone else, and often enough are “beaten” to blazes” several times in a game, even though playing well-as witness hardy and Lawrence allowing eleven shots to escape them a week ago –and no amount of trying will find a remedy.  This reminds me of an experience related of a team who were being severely trounced.  The goalkeeper could be accounted blameless for the number of goals, until, when nearing double figures, he allowed a simple shot to beat him.  “Why did you not stop that one?”  asked one of the backs.  “What would be the use?”  He replied; “the ball is safer in the net then amongst you lot!” This may not sound logical, but contained a wonderful amount of truth in its depth of meaning.  Most of the players participating in the game profess to employ methods on the field, and especially do goalkeepers lay claim to this necessary attribute.  You confess to keeping goal without any method at all, and that seems strange in one of your ability.  I would not like to be an opposing forward when you decide to introduce method into your game.  Then will goals become as scarce as fine days in our English summer.  Those will be exciting times, and compensate you a little for what you have given up in that connection through leaving Ireland.  You have had no necessity to run the graunlet of a riotous crowd of spectators since coming over here, or leave the precincts of the opponents’ ground with another dozen of your side all seated, or packed, on board a solitary jaunting car.  The only mild form of excitement which you have participated in over here concerned a little incident which you had all to yourself when representing your country at Aberdare.  On that occasion you tried your “monkey tricks” on the crossbar, but found it too weak for your needs, and so brought it down about you.  You have not attempted to repeat the performance, being more concerned for your own physical welfare than your appearance as a trapeze artist for the edification of others.  You don’t want another scare of the same kind in a hurry.  Talking of scares reminds me that an Irish friend of yours came to me with a very solemn countenance just before the season began and asked if I’d heard the news about “Billie” Scott.  On being assured that I had not, he said.  “He’ll no wear the Everton colours anymore, so he won’t.”  Naturally I became anxious concerning you, and asked what had happened.  “The authorities have stopped him,” he said.  Many words were being bandied about dealing with football authorities just at this time, and I felt like joining in, when he added.  “The goalkeepers have to change their colours according to the new rule.”  I’m still living in hopes of meeting that friend some fine day.  Well, will you won’t wear the Everton blue again, and that is true; but the Irish Selection Committee will certainly be after you once more –aye, many times more –to offer you the “wearing of the green” (which is also blue in your matches)on behalf of your country.  That will be no injustice to Ireland.  It would only reach that stage if you were to decline the honour.  This you won’t do, if I know you, and if I don’t –then “God save Ireland.” Yours, Polyphemus.

Athletic News - Monday 13 December 1909
By Harricus
The first meeting of Manchester United and Everton this season should have taken place at Clayton on Saturday but owing to the wretched conditions that prevailed Mr. A. Hargreaves, of Blackpool, the appointed referee, had to abandon the game. The playing pitch at Clayton cannot stand two days continuous rain, and Saturday’s experience should cause the directors to hasten the completion the new ground at Old Trafford. As a matter of fact, Saturday’s intended match should have been the last League game at Clayton, for it was originally announced that Charles Roberts would take his benefit on the opening of the new ground on December 25. The date still stands good, but Sheffield Wednesday will play the old ground instead of the new one, so that the old admirers of Roberts will leave the opportunity of showing their appreciation of his services without having to travel across the city. Mr. Hargreaves arrived on the ground on Saturday at 1.30, and ten minutes later he had declared the pitch unplayable as had evidently been anticipated by the united officials as the gates were not opened to the paying public. United will thus take the whole of the next gate, which, even if on a week night, will be better than it would have been on Saturday had the game been allowed to proceed, while the Everton players will be fresh for today's Lancashire Cup final. It was, therefore, to the advantage of both clubs that there should be a postponement. At the same time, whilst I admit the playing pitch was in a most deplorable condition—Mr. Hargreaves said that the ground was hard with the frost six inches below the surface and so prevented the rain from going through—l am of the opinion that an effort might have been made to start the game. I have seen matches played under worse conditions, and after all there was very little rain falling at 3.20, the advertised time of kick-off. Possibly Mr. Hargreaves thought that even had a start been made the churned up mud would have made it practically impossible for the players to continue for ninety minutes.

December 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Although the country had been visited by an abundant downfall of rain, only one game in the First Division of the League had to be postponed on account of the state of the ground. This was the match, which Everton should have played at Clayton. So thick was the mud that the referee was quite justified in declaring the fixture "off." As the gates were not opened, Everton, when they revisit the home of the United club, will only be able to claim travelling expenses.

December 13, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 15)
Manchester United's visit to Goodison Park provided Everton with a couple of points, and there can be no gainsaying the fact that the home men deserved their victory by the narrow margin of two goals to one. The ground was in a very heavy state, and all against good football, consequently it was not a scientific display, but what was lacking in the finer points of the game, was fully made up by the energy the men put into their work. Early on Sheldon scored a good goal for the United. The Blues then strove valiantly for an equaliser, but the visitors managed to keep their goal intact up to the interval. On resuming Everton rearranged their forward rank, and the change was an immediate success, for a clever combined movement culminated in Lacey levelling the score. The vanguard was now irresistible, and attack after attack was hurled at the visitors' goal and eventually Jones gave Everton the lead. Subsequent play was all in favour of the home team, but nothing tangible resulted, although Barlow had particular hard lines on several occasions. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and J.H. Bardsley, backs, Allan, Webster, and Weller, half-backs, Jones, Lacey, Gourlay, Barlow, and Mountford, forwards.

December 14, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Cup Final.
Everton gained their success in the Lancashire Cup competition yesterday, when they defeated Blackburn Rovers, ten times winners of the cup and holders of the trophy, by four goals to nil. Everton's last success in the competition was gained as long ago as the season 1896-97, so it cannot be said that they have won out of their turn. Everton were the better side yesterday, and well deserved the honours of victory, but their superiority was chiefly marked in the forward line, for the Rovers' quintette did not play anything like so well as in the recent League match at Goodison Park, their finishing efforts being very poor. Still Everton took their chances –or most of them –and played capital football all round.

Goodison Park was the venue, as Everton had won the toss for choice of grounds, and an attendance of 10,000 spectators showed that the Liverpool Public will support Lancashire Cup-ties when there is a prospect of a good game. The Rovers were without Ashcroft, Bob Crompton, and "Tinker" Davies, but Everton had the same side that should have done duty against Manchester United on Saturday. The Rovers made the pace a warm one from the start, but the Everton defence was very steady and only eight minutes had passed when Coleman scored a grand goal, Sharp having centred well and Makepeace giving the inside right his chance of opening the score. Coleman only just missed adding a second goal with a grand screw shot, and then the Everton goal had a wonderful escape from a corner, Elis Crompton and Latheron clean missing the ball and Garbutt sending wide. Harris retired hurt just before the interval, when Everton led by a goal. Harris was able to resume after the change of ends, and for some time Everton pressed without avail, Murray twice running out and saving well. At the other end Latheron ran thorough, but Scott turned his shot over the bar, and when Everton pressed again Murray saved finely from Coleman. But at the end of a quarter of an hour Freeman scored a second goal from Young's centre, while a shot from Sharp was turning in off the goalkeeper when Suttie dashed in and cleared. Sharp, however, scored a third goal after a fine run twenty minutes from the end, after he had missed a rare chance from a grand centre by Young. Less than ten minutes later White cleverly added the fourth goal at close quarters, Scott made a few saves in the closing stages, and Aitkenhead missed an easy chance, but Everton won comfortably.

A feature of the game was the brilliant work of Coleman, who was the outstanding forward on the field. His tricky footwork was much too good for Bradshaw, while his passes to Sharp and Freeman were models of accuracy and good judgement. Sharp also did well, and Young and White formed a clever left wing, the former doing exceedingly well in the outside position. Freeman had more than his match in Chapman, who all through played finely, and was much the best of the Rovers' halves. Makepeace was the outstanding Everton half, but Borthwick did excellent work alike in attack and defence, and Harris worked hard and with success. No fault could be found with the backs, and Scott did his little work well. Murray, who deputised for Ashcroft, had no chance with the goals, but Bob Crompton was missed at back, though on the whole Suttie did well, and was better than Cowell, who did not shine against a grand right wing. The forwards, though doing well in the open, were very weak near goal –a failing which accounted in a great measure for the big margin between the teams at the finish. The teams were: - Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and R Balmer, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Young, forwards. Blackburn Rovers: - Murray, goal, Suttie, and Cowell, backs, Walmsley, Chapman, and Bradshaw, half-backs, Garbutt, Latheron, Crompton, Aitkenhead, and Bracegridle, forwards.

The following is a list of pass winners of the trophy: -

1879-80 Darwen
1894-95 Preston North End
1880-81 Accrington
1895-96 Blackburn Rovers
1881-82 Blackburn Rovers
1896-97 Everton
1882-83 Blackburn Rovers
1897-98 Newton Heath
1883-84 Blackburn Rovers
1898-99 Bury
1884-85 Blackburn Rovers
1899-00 Preston North End
1885-86 Bolton Wanderers
1900-01 Blackburn Rovers
1886-87 Preston North End
1901-02 Blackburn Rovers
1887-88 Accrington
1902-03 Bury
1888-89 Accrington
1903-04 Blackburn Rovers
1889-90 Burnley
1904-05 Southport Central
1890-91 Bolton Wanderers
1905-06 Bury
1891-92 Bury
1906-07 Blackburn Rovers
1892-93 Preston North End
1907-08 Oldham Athletic
1893-94 Everton
1908-09 Blackburn Rovers

December 16, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Bolton Wanderers have secured the transfer from Everton of Hugh Adamson; the promising young half-back. Adamson has done sterling work for Everton Reserves in the Lancashire Combination, and has appeared twice this season for the senior team.

Athletic News - Monday 20 December 1909
Although the conference between Bolton directors and a deputation from the shareholders, which should have been held last Monday, was postponed, the directors have not relaxed their efforts to strengthen the team.  Three Everton players were sought and one, Hugh Adamson, the half-back, was captured.  He is certainly a better class man than any who have been secured since the end of last season, and has twice played in Everton’s League team during the present campaign.  Adamson is a Scotsman, born at Hilbeath, close to Dumferline, 22 years ago, stands 5ft 6 and half in., and weighs 10st 4lbs.  After playing with village teams he joined Dunfermline and played for two and half seasons with them, and then was secured by Lochgelly United.  He left them in March, 1907, for Everton, and I know that supporters of the club would rather that the Merseyside club had kept him.  Adamson, who plays right or left half-back, appeared against Sunderland a month ago, and gave an excellent account of himself as the substitute for Makepeace. 

Athletic News - Monday 20 December 1909
•                The Bradford City and Everton players occupied the new dressing rooms under the new stand at Goodison Park on Saturday for the first time.  These are splendidly equipped, and the bath-rooms are luxurious. 

Athletic News - Monday 20 December 1909
Everton 1, Bradford City 1
By Junius
THE possibilities of an attractive game of football resulting from the meeting of the Everton and Bradford City teams at Goodison Park were reduced to a minimum by the wretched weather which prevailed. An hour prior the start rain and sleet descended and converted even the excellent Everton enclosure into greasy and treacherous pitch. Bradford took away a point which they fully deserved, but little enthusiasm was aroused by the doings of either side. The first half produced no goals, though there were occasions when such a consummation was averted by inches only. Robinson made a capital attempt to give his side the lead, and Scott was severely tested by Bond, but the best chance of the pre interval period fell to Whittingham. Logan evaded the backs, and sent across a centre which baffled all the defenders and left the City sharp-shooter with Scott alone to beat. This he failed to accomplish, and as a matter of fact was little in evidence throughout the game. A quarter of hour after the resumption, and following a header from Freeman, which landed the ball over the crossbar, the Everton centre initiated what proved to be the first successful movement in the game. He received in midfield, and promptly sent the ball out to Barlow, who in turn beat the back and returned it to Freeman. The latter dashed ahead, and though Maskrey advanced to save, he was adroitly foiled by his opponent, who coolly steered the ball into the net. This reverse simply stimulated the City forwards to greater effort, and Bond gave Scott a rousing shot to negotiate. The right winger came again, and, darting past Makepeace and Balmer, raced to the goal line. From this point of vantage he centred perfectly to O’Rourky, who was standing close in, and the equalizer was cleverly headed into the net.   The closing he stages were slightly in favour of Bradford, for Bond appeared to have a reserve store of energy, which he utilized to the utmost. Scott, however, intelligently anticipated the intentions of his opponent, and the shots came straight to him.
There was little to choose between the two sets of forwards, and the honours were borne off by the respective defences. Movements were started and developed up to a promising pitch, but just when the final touches  were needed something would go astray.  A badly-judged pass or an injudicious centre were as frequently forthcoming as the correctly timed interventions of the backs, with, of course, the same result—the repulsion the invaders. It would indeed be difficult to single out for special mention any of the Everton forwards.  On the extreme left the Wigan amateur Barlow shaped as capably as any player tried in that position by the club this season. His return to Freeman which led to a goal was smartly executed, and he faced the vigorous defence very pluckily.  The ground was not adapted to delicate maneuvering, and the forwards would have been better advised to flash the ball about more freely. It was when within shooting range that their feeblest attempts were forthcoming. White and Coleman could not locate the net with anything like their customary precision, and Sharp was well held by the capable Chaplin. Freeman’s goal was splendidly obtained, his final stroke being a characteristic one. In the early stages I was much impressed with the footwork of Speirs, who repeatedly made beautiful openings both for Logan and O’Rourke. Alter the change of ends, however, and he and his outside partner were comparatively subdued, but on a sound turf they should be a menace to most defenders. O’Rourke was a zealous plodder in the centre, but Whittingham was rarely in evidence, and even his goal-scoring propensities were faulty. Bond was the most prominent of the line, and he controlled the ball skillfully on his way towards goa.  Near the finish the game was seen at his best, and caused Scott considerable anxiety.
Turning to the rear ranks, it is impossible to find much room for adverse criticism. Makepeace was the prime performer in the Everton half back division despite the fact that he had the most consistent opposition wing to face. In tackling and in attending to his forwards he was alike excellent. Borthwick's display was generally creditable; he made a few inaccurate and feeble passes, but he stopped many dangerous rushes, and used his head to better advantage than heretofore. Harris got through a vast amount of work, but he was not aggressive as usual in forcing the attack. The defence of Clifford and Balmer was sound, for seldom did either falter in his kicking, which was surprising, considering the nature of the ground and the surface of the ball. Scott kept a capital goal, and his clearances from Bond after the City had gained level terms were clever examples of intelligent custodianship. Of the Bradford half backs none did better than Robinson, who showed resource and determination. He plied Bond with many alluring chances, and ably assisted Torrance when in difficulties. Comrie was a rare intervener, and his sturdy form was ever in the thick of the fray. Lintott had many Lively duals with Sharp, which were most enjoyable, for both were contest to play the ball.  Chaplin was the leading factor in the City defence, for he was never at fault in volleying the ball but kicked cleanly and with intent.  He allowed Sharp no latitude, and the right winger could not escape the attentions of his rivals.  Torrance also was noticeable for vigorous kicking, but in his case there was not the same judgement observable.  Clear anywhere and anyhow was his motto.  Maskrey had little to do, but one save from a header by Barlow was neatly negotiated.   Everton; Scott; Clifford, Balmer (R.); Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Coleman, Freeman, White and G.H. Barlow.  Bradford City; Maskery; Torrance, Chaplin; Robinson, Comrie, Lintott; Bond, Whittingham, O’Rourke, Speire, and Logan.  Referee; Mr. H.P. Lewis, Rotherham. 

December 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Wretched weather and a saturated ground to a large extent spoiled what was expected to be a fine game at Goodison Park between Everton and Bradford City. With the heavy going mistakes on both sides were numerous, but still the teams are to be complimented upon the brave exhibition they gave under trying conditions. There was no slackening of effort throughout what must have seemed to the players a long ninety minutes. A slice of luck might have given the honours of the game to either side. As it was a division of the points was a fitting result of a strenuous struggle, in which a goal fell to both teams. After Saturday's display one can quite understand Bradford City having averted defeat since the last week of October.

The first half was fruitless in the matter of goals. In was not that no chances were forthcoming, but that openings were missed by the forwards. Whittingham usually a safe shot, was the greatest offender on the visiting side, while Freeman, Sharp, and Coleman might have scored for the Blues. The Evertonians started the second portion as if they meant to overwhelm the opposition. But the Bradford defenders are not easily overcome, while their forwards quickly showed that they, too, could be quite as troublesome as the other quintette. Nearly twenty minutes had gone when Everton's success arrival. It was a grand goal, too, for which the young amateur, G.H. Barlow, who was making a welcome reappearance, was entitled to almost equal credit with the scorer, Freeman. The centre forward received within his own half and drawing the backs sent out to Barlow, who was the only forward in position, the amateur dashed away, and when approached by Torrance passed back to Freeman, who tipped the ball past Maskrey as he came out to save. Only a few minutes had elapsed when the Tykes equalised. This also was a good goal. Bond was too nippy for Balmer, and just as the ball seemed to be going over the line he cleverly whipped it across the goalmouth for O'Rourke to head into the net. It was a hard struggle to the end, both keepers having dangerous shots to negotiate.

It was a game in which the defence shone in comparison with the attack. The home shooting was open to very considerable improvement, even admitting the treacherous nature of the ground. Sharp and Coleman were the better wing, although Barlow, who was full of go and fearless to a degree, showed that he has by no means forgotten the art of centring the ball. Freeman made up for several lapses by that delightful effort of his in conjunction with the ameteur. Borthwick again gave a capital exhibition at centre half, and indeed, little fault could be found with the defence, although Balmer at times had more than he could manage in Bond and Whittingham. Bradford City have a strong team fore and aft –just the sort of side that is likely to go far in both the League and Cup Competition. They are a bustling lot, and in a smart forward line probably no one is better than Spiers. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and R. Balmer, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp, Coleman, Freeman, White, and Barlow, forwards. Bradford City: - Maskery, goal, Torrance, and Chaplin, backs, Robinson, Cowrie, and Lintott, half-backs, Bond, Whiitingham, O'Rourke, Spier, and Clifford, forwards. Referee HP Lewis.

December 20, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 16)
Everton got a point where Liverpool failed a forthnight earlier, as the Blues drew 2-2 at Chorley. It was a very hard fought game, but with the chances they had Everton ought to have won. Daniels and Lacey scored in the first half, while McKie (from a penalty against Pratt, who was deputising for McConnachie) and Jones did the needful after the charge of ends. But Everton missed a couple of easiest possible chances, and had only themselves to blame for the winning. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Pratt, backs, Allen, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards.

December 26, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Bristol City have been under a cloud with their supporters for many weeks past, for though they have picked up a few points that have kept them just clear of the last two places, they had not given a convincing display since they beat Middlesbrough by four goals to one in September at Ashton Gate until Christmas Day, when they beat Everton by three goals to one. The home side deserved to win, and the margin scarcely flattered them, yet it was not until the game was about an hour old that Bristol showed any marked supremacy. This was rather surprising, for the game was only three minutes old when Shearman swung in a centre from which Cowell beat Scott. This roused Everton at once and for many minutes they challenged the Bristol defence to their best endeavours. Cottle was dashing at full back, but Annan found the ground too heavy for him and was show. Wedlock, however, is usually anxious and able to do more than one man's work, and so he covered the discrepancies that occurred in this way more than once. Sharp was very fleet on the right wing by the touchline which was the dryest patch of the playing pitch and got the ball across square and true, but the City halves nipped in so well that the inside Everton men were repeatedly robbed of possession. Annan and another time Coleman was quite deceived by the pace of the ball in a centre by Sharp once checked Freeman in fine style, and so Cottle cleared when a fertile opening seemed certain. Barlow later got the better of Hanlin in fine style, and parted with the ball to White, but when the pass was received the outside man was ruled offside, and so a glorious opening was closed. The City forwards seemed to tire somewhat in the closing stages of the first half, but they crossed over leading by a goal to nil.

Play in the second half opened almost as dramatically as in the first half, for after the City had hemmed Everton in for five minutes the visitors broke away, and Freeman beating Annan, the latter never looked like recovering and the visiting centre going on crowned a brilliant individual effort by beating Clegg, who had not advanced to meet him. This success for Everton stimulated the home side to their best work, and Burton, their inside left, was especially effective in opening up the game for them. He repeatedly beat Harris with ease, and them when Clifford seemed likely to rob him, parted with the ball to excellent advantage, but Gilligan was very awkward in front of goal. It was he, however, who eventually recovered the lead for Bristol, though there was nothing particularly brilliant in the shot, which had been made simple by the splendid work by Cowell and Wedlock that proceeded it. Gilligan later hit the crossbar with a hard shot after clever work by Burton, and then for a spell the Everton forwards were in the picture. The right wing and Freeman were splendid, but Spear and Cottle were so dashing that they intercepted passes in quite surprising fashion. Clegg had very little to do, but once Coleman drove in a fine shot, which he fielded and cleared in great style. Spearman was much more effective at outside left for Bristol than Barlow for Everton in the corresponding position, and following good work by him and Burton, Macconnachie was compelled to put across the right wing and Staniforth there getting possession raced in and beat Scott with a splendid shot. During the last ten minutes of the game Everton made many spirited efforts on the right wing, but Wedlock so devoted himself to shadowed Freeman that the Everton centre was not able to trouble Clegg much, and the end came with the City winners of a game that had been very heavily fought, considering the heavy ground. It was a good tempered game, as well as a hard one, and referee Bamlett followed the ball well though there were occasions when his offside rulings failed to please the penalised parties. Sharp especially suffered at his hands.

Bristol were better balanced as a side than Everton, for the visitors' left wing was weak, and Barlow especially so whilst his impotence was emphasied by the tendency to get offside. Freeman has usually been so effective against Bristol –he scored two goals against them last season both at Goodison and Ashton Gate –that Wedlock devoted himself largely to him, and it was a mission that paid the City, for he repeatedly broke the line of communication between Freeman and his wings. At left Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace were good without' attaining brilliance, but Borthwick was the best of the trio, for in addition to reducing the efficiency of Cowell, who was very elusive, he in the second half in particularly, was also effective in checking the clever raids of Burton when Harris was unable to hold him. All three of the Everton halves, however, were lacking in one important detail, and they did little or no shooting. With the ball greasy, as it was a long shot might often have been tried with advantage. But if they failed to shoot, they often put the ball well to their own forwards, and never tried in tracking the City quintette. Clifford and Maconnachie had a race lot to do at full-back, and did much that was good, but in the second half they were hard put to it to repel the City forwards, who were the suprisingly quick on the ball. The Bristol wingmen Staniforth and Shearman at times swerved in extraordindinary fashion, and if Gilligan –he scored the first League goal this season in the second half –had been a Coleman or a Freeman, Scott must have had a very busy afternoon. As it was Scott did not have a great deal to do, even through he had more than Clegg, but the little he was called upon to face included three shots that beat him, and for neither of which could be blamed. Although the City won by 3 to 1, local judgement gave them the credit of playing rather above their form, so that it is quite on the cards the result may be reversed to-day at Goodison Park. Teams: - Bristol City: - Clegg, goal, Annan, and Cottie, backs, Hamilton, Wedlock, and Spearman, half-backs, Staniforth, Gilligan, Cowell, Burton, and Shear, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman Freeman, White and Barlow, forwards. Referee HS. Bamlett.

December 26 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 17)
It was a great day for the home clubs in the First Division of the Lancashire Combination, for only one of them failed to pick up two points. Everton gained the biggest win of the day, and with Liverpool and Blackburn Rovers beaten, the Goodison Park club has now the best record. Everton's opponents were Workington, and the Cumberland men were well beaten by six goals to nil. As a game the contest was not very attractive, the ground being throughly sodden though the recent bad weather. The visitors commenced operations in a splendid fashion, and swept down on the home goal. Berry being called upon to negotiate a ticklish shot from McLean. The Blues then asserted themselves, and attack after attack was hurled at the Workington goal. Carter being eventually beaten by Mountford, who was smart to take advantage of a neat cross by Michaels. Although both custodians had several difficult shots to keep out, there was no further scoring in the initial half. In the second moiety there was only one team in it, for Everton completely outplayed the visitors. The home vanguard put in some telling work, and five times the visiting keeper had to acknowledge defeat. Gourlay and Jones, the former player securing three and the latter scored the goals two. Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allan, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gouray, and Mountford, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 27 December 1909
The successor of John D. Taylor, whose tardy recovery from an injury sustained at Newcastle last September betokens advancing years, is John J. Borthwick, one of Scotia’s stalwart sons.  Although Borthwick seems to be keeping his place his position is difficult, for the old Dumbarton player was a wonderful footballer, and the value of his presence in the Everton ranks is –now that he is unable to take his place –being properly appreciated.  Born at Leith, twenty-three years ago, Borthwick as a boy was a regular performer in the Lochhead-road school X1.  He started as a left half-back, but was eventually transferred to the centre, and has practically occupied no other post since.  Evidently his abilities were suited for this onerous berth.  Twice was he chosen to represent his native place in rival matches between Leith and Edinburgh boys.  At fourteen he joined a junior team called Royal Oak, but only remained there one season.  His next club was Edinburgh Clifton, but after one year with this organization Borthwick took no active part in football for a couple of years.  When he resumed it was as centre back for Wewyss Violet, one of the Fifeshire clubs, and he was prominent personality in local circles.  Accordingly Leith Athletic gave him two or three trials, but Borthwick migrated to Lochgelly and became their recognized centre half-back in Northern League matches.  Other members of the side were the brothers Wilson and Adamson, who subsequently reached Goodison pasture.  Adamson has just bene transferred to Bolton.  A year later he signed for their Hibernians, with whom he was playing when approached by Everton, the result being that he came to Liverpool in April, 1906.  He played in the closing League match that year, but did not have another trial with the first team until the final engagement last April.  Owing to Taylor being incapacitated he is now being afforded a prolonged trial, and the Everton directors are desirous of discovering his best capabilities.  He has shown an improvement and it is possible that the experience he is now gaining may give him the polish that his play requires.  Standing 5ft 10 and three quarters, he weighs just over 12st, and the more he plays the fitter he becomes.  He has an intelligent idea of the requirements of his office, and only needs increased confidence to make him quite efficient. 

Athletic News - Monday 27 December 1909
Everton reserves fairly romped round Workington in their morning engagement, winning by six clear goals.  In the first half Mountford scored, but after the change of ends Gourlay added three more goals, and Jones put on a couple, one from a penalty.  The Everton forwards were very deadly near goal, and never hesitated when within shooting range.  In this respect they differed from their opponents who, on the treacherous ground, were inclined to dribble through.  Gourlay was the most prominent forward, and Weller shaped creditably at half-back.  In defence the amateur J.C. Bardsley, of Southport, played capitally.  Workington were clever in midfield, but their forwards were almost useless in shooting and numerous chances were missed. 

Athletic News - Monday 27 December 1909
By Junius
Last Tuesday evening an interesting function was held at the Exchange Station Hotel, Liverpool, the occasion being a presentation to one of Everton directors, Mr. W. R- Clayton, recognition of his twenty-one years’ continuous service to the club. In addition to all the directors, and about forty of the players, there were also present Messrs. Griffiths. Atkinson, and Coates, who were formerly on the board, Mr. Reed, and Lament, Grant, and Lythgoe, representing the Liverpool Football Association. The post prandial proceedings brought forth many reminiscences of the early days of the Everton club.  As chairman Mr. D. Kirkwood, in a felicitous speech, pointed out the services which Mr. Clayton had rendered, and was followed by Mr. Reed, who dealt with the incidents which occasioned Everton’s departure from Anfield. He stated that there were two bodies of malcontents, and when this was discovered be approached Mr. Clayton and invited him to his house discuss the matter. The interview which lasted from an early hour in the evening until 3 a.m. was momentous, for as a direct result the present club was formed. Messrs. Lamont, Griffiths, and Bainbridge referred to the old days when they had work hard to place the club on sound basis. Each turn referred to the great assistance which was forthcoming from Mr. Clayton at that period. On behalf of the club and players, the chairman presented magnificent rose-bowl suitably inscribed to Mr. Clayton, and asked him accept it as a slight token of appreciation of the great services had rendered to Everton. In his most Interesting response Mr. Clayton, after thanking the donors for their beautiful gift, naturally referred to the early days of the club, and gave most lucid description of the fighting which took place that led to Everton going to Goodison Park. They went with a team, but with no money and without a ground to play upon. The speaker paid a warm tribute to the late Mr. George Mahon for the prominent part played in the proceedings at that period. Subsequently Mr. Clayton dealt with his own position, and explained why he took such a keen interest in football. He pointed out that the amateurs of Liverpool had benefited by the presence of the professional clubs in the district. Thirty or forty clubs were formerly affiliated to the Liverpool Association, whereas now there were close upon 400, and another 100 were yet not within the fold. Those individuals were continually bemoaning the fact that people preferred to figure as spectators at a  football match rather than indulge in actual sport did not know what they were talking about. He himself was an ardent player before he became a legislator. It was supposed now-a-days that when man reached the age of thirty he was of no farther use as a footballer (a sly dig which caused everyone’s gaze to turn in the direction of the veteran John. D. Taylor). Alluding to the present state of affairs in Liverpool. Mr. Clayton remarked that in past years considerable bitterness had existed between the Everton and Liverpool clubs. He was glad to say that feeling had now entirely departed, and the directors of both organizations worked together in complete harmony, for the common benefit of football in the city

Athletic News - Monday 27 December 1909
Bristol City 3, Everton 1
By Cliftonian
A night of drenching rain, succeeded by a sharp frost, left the Ashton Gate enclosure on the heavy side for the match with Everton.  The weather, however, proved fine, and the 13,000 spectators who put in an attendance saw Bristol City win by three goals to one.  The score did not flatter the home side.  They certainly lacked that clever footwork, control of the ball and accurate passing which their opponents often displayed in midfield, but ample compensation was to be found in the dash which they constantly exhibited, and their superior shooting powers.  The forwards also had the good sense to open out the game, with the result that the visiting half-backs were often rendered useless and the backs occasionally rendered helpless.
Everton’s Perseverance
Scott made a number of clever clearances, for he played as soundly as ever, but one man unaided could not withstand all the attack which was set up.  While beaten, and beaten more decisively than most teams have been at Bristol this year, Everton must be complimented upon sticking to their work to the bitter end.  They were never seen to more advantage than during the closing stages of the match.
Bristol Take The Lead
The contest had not been in progress five minutes when the first goal was scored.  The ball was taken down the left wing by Burton and Shearman.  The latter centred, and Cowell cleverly beat Scott. For a long time the only dangerous movements made by the visitors were initiated on the right wing, where Sharp, having a firmer stretch of turf to move upon than most of his colleagues, often outpaced Spear.  Barlow, on the other wing, failed to keep on-side, with the result that he was rarely able to avail himself of the openings made by Makepeace and Freeman, The City travelled through the mud in capital style, and they never hesitated to shoot, but they had not increased their lead when the interval was reached. 
Freeman’s Forte.
They resumed in more dashing fashion than ever, and for five minutes Everton had nothing to do but act upon the defensive.  Then Harris put the ball up to Freeman, who, proving too fast for Annan, went through on his own and equalized.  He put forth the best single-handed effort of the match, and deserved his success.
The Winning Way of the West
The scores did not long remain level, as after Scott had distinguished himself several times Cowell, when forced almost on to the goal-line by Clifford, managed to pass across to Gilligan.  The inside-right took the ball on the turn and registered his first goal of the season.  Not content with a lead of one goal, Staniforth, taking full advantage of a sparkling piece of work by Burton, closed into goal in irresistible style and beat Scott.  It was after this that Everton were most dangerous.  Their shooting, however, was by no means good.  About the best effort was made by Coleman who drove the ball against the bar, and Clegg cleared from the rebound.  Hotly as Everton pressed at this period the City defence never wavered, and it thus came about that their goal was never penetrated again.
Burton Back To Form.
Clegg performed better than in any previous home match, for he showed more confidence and increased judgment to a greater strain if his opponents had been a little more skillful in shooting.  As usual Cottle and Annan worked splendidly together.  It is true the latter was outpaced when Freeman got his goal but there were numerous occasions when his solidity proved as valuable to his side as the dash of Cottle, who often went a long way up the field to help Spear.  That half-back did quite as well against Sharp as could have been expected.  He played as close upon him as he could, and thus often prevented the international from centring.  As a substitute for Marr, Hanlin met with considerable success, but none of the half-backs equaled Wedlock, who marked Freeman most effectively.  With Hardy away Staniforth figured at outside-right.  He took some time to settle down, and when he did so, he was always useful.  It was good to see Gilligan get a goal.  Cowell was more certain than he has often been in taking his passes, while he gave many capital ones.  Burton was at his best, and as a consequence Shearman had more chances, and he did not waste them.
Everton’s Stalwarts.
Apart from Sharp and Freeman, none of the Everton forwards were conspicuous for good play.  Coleman frequently looked as if he was going to do something great, but his efforts never matured, while Barlow was often at fault in getting off-side.  The half-backs did not impress me as being quite reliable.  It may have been they did not like the mud.  At any rate they were not as good as usual.  Clifford on the whole was safer than Mcconnachie.  He was never showy, but he stuck to his man as a back should, and thus prevented more than one deadly shot being put in.  Scott, as I have said, kept goal as well as ever.  Bristol City; Clegg; Annan, Cottle; Hanlin, Wedlock, Spear; Stanforth, Gilligan, Cowell, Burton, and Shearman.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Mcconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Makepeace; Sharp (captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and G.H. Barlow.  Referee.  Mr. H.S.Bamlett, Gateshead-on-Tyne.

December 28, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton on Christmas Day, at Bristol, lost two points to the City team; yesterday, at Goodison Park, the verdict was reversed. In the first case the margin was three goals to one, and in the return one to nothing. There was not much in it, and under the circumstances neither club has any reason to be dissatisfied with the division of the honours. There, was, however, a material difference as far as the management of the clubs was concerned, for whereas the Bristolians had only a moderate gate upwards of 30,000 spectators visited Goodison park yesterday. This, too, despite the absolutely depressing climatic conditions. After a fine afternoon rain fell persistently, not only bringing discomfort to onlookers, but rendering portions of the playing pitch so treacherous that real football was quite out of the question. Still the players, to their credit be it said, contested the game in admirable spirit, and with a determination which was in no way affected by frequent unpleasant contact with the mud.

While Bristol City relied on their victorious side of Christmas Day, Everton made no fewer than there change, in their ranks. Borthwick and G.H.Barlow were both on the injured list, and Macconnachie was not too well, the result being that Young figured at outside left, the veteran John Taylor as centre half-back, and Stevenson as partner to Clifford. It will be understood that the condition of the ground was altogether against securate football. In the earlier portion it was not so far, and during this period some really interesting play was served up by opposing sides who were in earnest. Everton opened strongly, Clegg saying cleverly from Coleman and Makepeace, but the visiting side soon proved it at they meant to dispute every inch of the ground. Scott on one occasion having great difficulty in frustrating the intentions of Britton. During a fairly prolonged onslaught, Everton's young back. Stevenson, showed both by his coolness and resource that his selection as Clifford's partner was not ill-timed. Largely through his efforts Everton got on the move, and Young, after several failures was himself again. He sent across the goalmouth, and Freeman, being too well watched, allowed the leather to pass to Sharp, who sent it into the net, giving the custodian no chance of effecting a save. After this Everton made matters very warm for the visiting defence without adding to their core, and Bristol coming again, had hard lines in not equalising. Scott however, was a rare stumbling block. In the second half the ground was in a worse state than ever. The players slipped and tumbled about in the mud in a manner infinitely diverting to the onlookers, though not at all pleasant to the participations. Both goals had narrow escapes, and almost in the last minute Scott, by his brilliant work, saved his side the loss of a point. On the general run of the play Everton were entitled to their victory by a goal to nil.

Under the circumstances full allowance must be made for repeated mistakes on the part of the players. Often enough it was a lottery whether the ball would stick in the mud bound forward, or screw away at a most disconcerting angle. From the point of view of Everton a gratifying feature of the game was the admirable exhibition of Stevenson at left back. His kicking was well timed, and while he placed the ball with judgement his tackling was most effective. With Clifford also in form the display of the back division was as convincing as in any game this season. The only hope is that the injury, which Stevenson sustained in the closing stages of the match, will only be a temporary nature. "Jack" Taylor, after his enforced absence was not the least effective of the half-back line, in which as usual, Harris and Makepeace rendered good service. Sharp and Coleman were rather inclined to attempt too much short passing, and while Freeman was allowed few opportunities of shining, the left wing was not conspicuously successful although it was Young's characteristic work which led up to Everton's goal. Scott kept a fine goal, and so, too, did Clegg. Indeed the defence on both side deserved commendation. Wedlock again proved an adept in defensive tactics as also in feeding his forwards, among whom none worked harder or was more conspicuous than Burton. Teams : - Everton: - Scott goal, Clifford, and Stevenson, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, White, and Young, forwards. Bristol City: - Clegg, goal, Annan, and Cottle, backs, Hanlin, Wedlock, and Spear, half-back, Staniforth, Gilligan, Cowell, Burton, and Shearman, forwards. Referee –Mr. H.S. Bamlett.

December 28, 1909. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 18)
This interesting holiday fixture was played at St Helen before a good gate. The Town were short of E. Stauton, their captain, Hall filling the vacancy. Teams: - St.Helens Town: - H. Stanton; goal, Yates, and Potters, backs, Morris, Hall, and Scott, half-backs, Barton, Bluff, Langford, Tudor, and Bromage, forwards. Everton Reserves: - Berry goal, Pratt and Bardsley, backs Allen, Weller, and Rafferty, half-backs, Michaels, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford forwards. The town won the toss, and Everton started uphill. The opening exchanges favoured Everton, who were unlucky, Lacey sending inches wide. Weller, the visiting centre was injured through being struck with the ball, but resumed. Through Bromage the Town got dangerous, but Pratt got up and kicked out. St. Helens continued to hold the visitors in check, Barton sending wide with a grand opportunity. Barton tricked Rafferty, but he was whistled back for offside. Everton opened out with neat footwork, Michaels spoiling a grand movement through fouling Peters. Everton passed in front of Stanton, Jones heading into the keeper's hands from Lacey's centre. St. Helens broke away and forced a corner from which Barton put behind. Play veered from end to end, the respective backs kicking with excellent judgement. Everton asserted themselves. Scott kicking away from Jone's toes. Even midfield play followed, and from a hot attack by Everton. Jones failed to find the net. At the other end Bromage had a glorious opening presented, but he shot ridiculously wide. Weller burst away and had a fine opening, but Stanton was able to clear. The interval arrived with a clean sheet.

Langford started the second portion of the game, Michaels over-running the leather. Everton got aggressive through Jones, who eventually netted, but the point was disallowed for off-side. After a spell of even midfield play Jones again threaded his way through and forced a corner, which proved fruitless. Everton forced a corner off Yates, and from Michael's centre the ball struck Yates on the back, and from the rebound Jones rushed up and opened the score for his side. After this reverse the Town asserted themselves, but the Everton defence prevailed. In the closing stages Everton attacked desperately, but Stanton defended well. Mountford got away and scored with the custodian out. Final; Everton 2 St Helens nil.




December 1909