Everton Independent Research Data


December 1, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton at length have broken the spell of misfortune which has attended their efforts since their great victory over Derby County six weeks ago. Since then the career of the team has been singularly disappointing, for, apart from their two drawn games with Manchester City and Bradford City, they had fallen easy prey, with a pronounced adverse goal account to clubs against which they had heretofore offered the sternest of resistance for supremacy. Their partial success at the Hawthorns on Saturday was therefore a very welcome occasion, and one which will, to some extent, relieve the feelings of depression which have been plainly in evidence amongst the loyal supporters of the club. In recent games the defence had been found wanting, as may be gathered from the big scores put up against the club's record, but such was not the case on Saturday, for the usual Everton standard in this department was fairly well maintained, and, this being so, a division of honours at least was only what one might have expected. There was certainly more attractive footwork among the forwards than had obtained in previous games, but there was also the fatal hesitancy coupled with a disposition of one or other to find a safe position before applying a final touch, which was rarely allowed them.

To come straight to the point, it was the improved half-back play that was mainly responsible for the satisfactory result on Saturday. If the linking up with the forwards was not altogether what one might have expected, there were the spoiling methods that by their frequency quite unhinged the best intentions of the Albion forwards. The return of Makepeace was a valuable asset to the side, and well as the left half berth was filled there could be no denying the fact that the pivot of the team was the position that was most capably filled. The half-back line as a whole, so far as breaking up tactics were concerned reached a standard reminiscent of Everton's best days, and here the key of the solution lay. Regarding the last lines of defence there was but one blur on the escutcion that led to the Albion scoring their goal. Facing the sun and wind may be offered in extenuation of one or other of the defenders failing to clear a ball that should never have been allowed to find its billet, and with Hodge unsighted. Everton's discomfiture was completed. There were occasions when the Blues' forwards went off at a swinging pace, but they were clearly out of luck, especially when Jefferis, with a hard drive, had the misfortune to see the ball rebound from the upright, and again when Harrison had the keeper beaten, only to find Pennington by some marvellous feat up in and clear. Play was more interesting in the second half, with Everton showing great persistency, which was at length rewarded when Bradshaw, heading to Nuttall, enabled the latter to score the equalising point.

The quality of play improved as the game, progressed, and at the close both sides were going strongly. As indicated, the Everton players were handicapped during the first period by facing wind and sun. Their opponents had but the former force to contend with on turning round. The forwards displayed effective footwork at times, and those of the old brigade were more trustful than in their earlier games. Still there was room for much improvement. There was too much individual rather than concerted effort, and the otherwise good work of the inside man suffered thereby. Nuttall could not be expected to fill the onerous task of centre with great success in this his first venture, still he did well generally, and Bradshaw and Jefferis were quite out of luck. Harrison was the most forceful of the line, and was well on the target, while Beare played a serviceable game. Fleetwood was a great success at centre half as the Albion forwards would testify, and Makepeace and Harris completed a line that was eminently satisfactory. Thompson showed to advantage at right full back, and though Macconnachie was in difficulties at times during the first period owing to facing the glaring sun, he nevertheless got through a cod afternoon's work with distinction, as also did Hodge, who, under pressure, brought off many fine saves. On the Albion side, Pearson was a resourceful keeper, and Smith was the best back on the field. The halves were a sound trio, and of the forwards Jephcott and Lewis did many clever things on the right, but the line as a whole, like that of Everton, did not knit together in a manner to inspire confidence . West Bromwich Abion: - Person, goal, Smith, and Pennington (Captain), backs, Waterhouse, Buck, and McNeal, half-backs, Jephcott, Wright, Bentley, Lewis, and Shearman, forwards. Everton: - Hodge, goal, Thompson and Macconnachie (Captain) back, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace half-backs, Jefferis, Beare, Nuttall, Bradshaw, and Harrison, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 01 December 1913
Everton have signed on Parker, the Glasgow Rangers reserve centre forward, after much trouble. They have parted with their full back—Fulton—in this transaction, who therefore returns to his native land after a three months absence. Parker will arrive in Liverpool next Wednesday, and will be available for duty the following Saturday. In Everton's attempts to acquire another custodian, the negotiations with a Second League club on the East Coast have terminated, the price requested for the player being the cause thereof. Another is under observation, however. The new comers to Goodison also include Brennan, an outside left who played for Widnes County; he had the reputation of being the cleverest winger In the Liverpool County Combination. A youth named Peever was tried in goal with the Reserves last Saturday. He hails from the Wirral district, and has, I am told, assisted the Northern Nomads this season.

Athletic News - Monday 01 December 1913
West Bromwich Albion 1, Everton 1
By Brum
West Bromwich Albion did not quite give of their best in their match at the Hawthorns, but unquestionably the Everton eleven gave a much better display they provided when they appeared at the Aston Villa enclosure recently; indeed, on the day Everton were rather the more sprightly side. The Albion gave the poorest display they have been responsible for this season. The absence of Morris, who received a bad kick at Sunderland, made a vital difference to the Albion attack, and one is inclined to feel doubtful as to whether Wright is the best understudy that could have been found. He never seems to get a grip of the game when he is officiating in a First League struggle. But Wright was not the only poor member of the Albion front line. Bentley played as badly as one hopes he ever will play. He has been a disappointing man. His opening form was so sensational that no one dreamed that he would fall away to nothing as he has done. Then Shearman did not give of his best, and the whole line seemed all out of gear. Lewis did some smart things, and Jephcott played exceedingly well; indeed, considering that he was rather neglected by his partner, his form was highly satisfactory.
But two forwards cannot win a game, and considering how high the average form of the Albion is the game was woefully disappointing. The muster was about 16,000 strong. Everton had a remodeled side Thompson resuming at half-back, while Hodge kept goal, and the forward line differed in several instances from that which lost last week. One doubts if the Everton club have better players at their disposal than those who were on duty at the Hawthorns. They played pretty football, and had it not been for the superlatively the defence of the Albion, the points would have gone to the visiting eleven. The Albion opened well enough, for six minutes from the start Thompson failed to get the ball away, and Lewis darted through, and with a clever low shot put the ball right out of Hodge’s reach. The Albion were leading by that goal at the interval, but when the second half was twenty-three minutes old Everton were level, Nuttall scoring from a centre Bradshaw. It was a good goal, the Everton pivot fastening on to the ball and shooting with certainty. Everton continued to hold the advantage after this, but they were scarcely systematic enough to beat the defence, although their interchanges were tinged with cleverness. The Albion defence is masterly in its cohesion, and it is difficult to get the ball through their rearguard. Pearson's form is as good as anything in the country to-day.
The play of the half-backs was delightful. M’Neal's tackling and placing are a study, and Buck and Waterhouse make few errors. Where Waterhouse does err it is as a consequence of trying to do too much, but the forwards’ play calls for nothing more than has previously been said concerning it. Everton were well served by Hodge, and Thompson and Macconnachie were rarely at fault.  Beare and Jefferis made a serviceable wing. They showed of their old form, and Harris was a decidedly useful ally. Fleetwood and Makepeace were both judicious; the Everton forwards owed much to the way in which they were plied with passes. Nuttall was useful, and Harrison speedy and adaptable. West Bromwich Albion.—Pearson: Smith, Pennington; Waterhouse, Buck, M'NeaJ; Jephcott, Wright, Bentley, Lewis, and Shearman. Everton.—Hodge; Thompson, Maconnachie (Captain); Harris. Fleetwood, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Nuttall, Bradshaw, and Harrison. Referee: A. Shallcross, Leek.

December 1, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton defeated Stockport County at Goodison Park by 5 goals to 2. The Blues forwards rave a brilliant display, and their smart footwork at times quite bewildered the County defence. chedgzoy was the finest attacker on view, and at least four goals accrued from his fine runs, and centres. Johnston also gave a fine display, while Brannick was a rare opportunist. The defence was not altogether satisfactory, for they were at times prone to take things too easy, and there also appeared to be a lack of understanding between the middle and rear lines. The visitors were only a moderate lot, but they posses a good pivot in McRait. Johnston scored for the Blues in the first minute, and Brannick followed this up with three consecutive goals, thus accomplishing the “hat-trick.” In the second moiety Bertenshaw and Ashmore scored for Stockport, and Curtis made Everton's total into five . Everton: - Mitchell, goal, Page, and Stalker, backs, Challinor, Weller, and Kirby, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Brannick, Curtis, Johnston, and Brannan, forwards. Stockport County: - Johnson, goal, Frochlich, and Crewe, backs, Chivers, McRait, and Graham, half-backs, Betrenshaw, Berwick, Hyde, Haynes and Ashmoor, forwards.

December 6, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton's angling at Lincoln has resulted in a big catch, for last evening Mr. Cuff, the Everton secretary, wired us that Fern, the Lincoln City goalkeeper, had signed for the Blues, whom he will assist against Sheffield Wednesday at Goodison Park this afternoon. The transfer fee is not as yet given out, but there is every reason to believe that the price put on the new player will prove to be a record one for both clubs. There were anticipations of a big crowd being attracted by reason of the initial appearance of Parker, the ex-Glasgow player, in the Everton front line, but with such talked of player as Fern also making his debut, it would not be surprising if the turnstiles at Goodison Park today clicked for a much greater period than has been their wont for some time past. Though he has figured for such a long time in Second Division football, Fern is reckoned a keeper of the highest class, and certainly he has performed wonderful work for Lincoln City during the four and a half seasons he has been with them. On his only appearance in the City –against Everton Reserves in a Central League game –Fern, in addition to making several grand clearance, had the distinction of stopping a couple of penalty kicks. He has made over 160 consecutive appearances for the Citizens, whose supporters make no secret of the fact that Lincoln's loss in Everton's gain. Fern stands 5ft 10 and half in, and weights over 13st, but despite his bulk is extremely active. Everton's team against the Wednesday will thus be as follows: - Fern, Thompson, and Macconnachie, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison.

December 7, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
There was nothing to enthuse about in the game at Goodison Park. It was a wet and cheerless afternoon, and the play was in keeping with the weather. Those enthusiasts who left their warm firesides in the hope of seeing half-a-dozen goals fell to the credit of Parker, the new Everton centre forward or of witnessing Fern, the new custodian, keeping out shot after shot from the Sheffield sharp shooters, were doomed to disappointing. As a matter of fact, sharp shooting was sadly at a discount. There was plenty of strong kicking, but it came from the backs, and not from the forwards; there was plenty of hard and keen football, but for all that they were singularly few thrills. It was one of those dour struggles where the whip had always lay with the backs. The play became so monontunious in the second half that one longed to see the backs make a mistake in order to give the forwards a chance of scoring. The Sheffield backs did find themselves in difficulties towards the end, but the Everton attack allowed one or two golden opportunities to slip by, and this was all the more disappointing because way openings had been so few. But after all one could hardly expect correct play in such a slippery ground, and with a ball that gets so wet and heavy as to completely hurt the players when it caught them on the head with any degree of force. In the closing stages there were two such instances, Fleetwood, who usuals does a lot of useful work with his heads, was completely laid out on one occasion through the ball striking him on the head with greater force then he expected, and later a Sheffield forward had the same unhappy experience. The Sheffield forwards were not seen to anything like the same advantage as in their match with Sunderland a week ago. There was none of that crisp passing which has been so much in evidence in their recent games and not the usual alertness in front of goal. The absence of Robertson and Burkinshaw who were injured a week ago completely upset the harmony of the line with the result that the Everton halves were generally to good for them.

Davison the Sheffield custodian had more shots to stop than the Everton keeper; but for the conditions, the display of the Everton forwards, left nothing to be desired. Tane was when Beare, Jefferis, and Bradshaw delighted the crowd with clever footwork and passing on a heavy ground but such was not the case on Saturday. Beare was early prominent, and his partner. Jefferis was never more than moderate, Harrison, at outside left, was the best of the line, and Bradshaw was, as usual a hard worker. Parker, Everton's new centre forward, had the honour of securing the only goal for his side, but like other Scottish players who have come to Everton, he was not quick enough at times. It would be unfair to judge him by his first turnout, and he certainly had a tremendous obstacle in Mcskimming, the Sheffield centre half. He did secure a goal, and that was more than any of the others could do. It is significant of the many charges made by Everton this season that the 20 goals scored up to date have been shared amongst 12 players. Both of the goals scored on Saturday came within a few minutes of each other. Twenty minutes after the start a well-placed centre gave Parker his opportunity for turning the ball into the net. The Sheffield back appealed for offside, but the referee had no hesitation in awarding a goal. A minute or two later the Sheffield men attacked on the right, and from Kirkman's centre Wilson took the ball on the run and placed into the net just underneath the bar. It was what is commonly called a lighting shot, and Fern had little or no chance of saving. It was in the last ten minutes of the game that Everton looked most like winning the game. Davison made one really brilliant save from Beare, but the Everton winger would have scored a minute later. He had the ball right at his toes within a yard of goal, but instead of shooting he dallied, and lost one of the few easy openings of the game. Every credit must be given to the halves and backs on either side. The fact that Fern was so rarely called upon was largely due to the sound work of Macconnachie and Thompson. Fleetwood at centre half, was one of the most prominent players on the field. He was most effective in unsetting the calculations of the Sheffield inside men and besides, he was generally accurate, his placing. Makepeace was also in rare trim, the feature of his play being his collect feeding of his forwards. The Sheffield halves were also most effective, McSkimming being a tower of strength at centre half. Spoors and Worrall upheld their worthy reparation at full back and Dawson made several clever saves. Teams: - Everton: - Fern goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison, forwards. Sheffield Wednesday: - Davison goal, Worrell, and Spoors, backs, Brittleton, M. Skimming, and Campbell, half-backs, Kirkman, Burkinshaw, Miller, Wilson, and Wright, forwards. Referee A. Denton.

Athletic News - Monday 08 December 1913
Everton are the one team in the First Division of The League without any experience of the Second Division. They were one of the twelve foundation members of The League, and they have never been in real danger of descent. If enterprise will avert such a calamity they will not depart from the ranks of the Seniors this season. On Saturday two men sported the Everton jersey for the first time. Not only did Robert Parker, until recently of Glasgow Rangers, lead the forwards, but T. E. Fern, the Lincoln City goalkeeper, displaced both W. Hodge and’ F. Mitchell in that capacity. Everton began the season with four goalkeepers on their list. Now Fern takes the field, and if he holds it with the same consistency as at Lincoln there will not be much room for other people in his citadel. A native of Mersham, Fern stands 5ft. 9 and half in, and weighs l1st. 12lb. The case with which he can grasp a ball under the bar shows his reach, but he is equally at home with low shots. Putting all his weight into blow he can fist a ball nearly to the half-way line. With agility and anticipation he fields beautifully, and is probably the best keeper Everton have had since William Scott was at his zenith. Not since the season 1909-10 has Fern been absent from the Lincoln City goal. Including this season he has appeared in 165 Lincoln City games since 1909. Men of his caliber are not common objects of the roadside, as Everton thought when they paid £1,500 for this player. This is said to be the highest fee Lincoln have drawn—in spite of the fact that Lincoln City have ever been recognized as very keen judges of the value of player to other people.
Everton’s New centre Forward
Everton also introduced on Saturday Robert Parker, who has been identified with Glasgow Rangers understudy to Wm. Reid.  This player was only induced cross the border after much persuasion and some bargaining, as Blackburn Rovers and Newcastle United had made efforts to secure his assistance, but the Rangers were loath to let him leave. Born at Possil Park, in Glasgow, Parker first gained acquaintance with football in the Boys’ Brigade eleven, with whom he played centre forward for five years. This happened from twelve to sixteen years of age, and while operating with this team he thus early showed an aptitude for scoring goals, a good bit for a centre forward. He next joined Ashfield, a junior club connected with the Glasgow Junior League, and there he remained for three seasons. Thrice did his club win the championship of the League, and also the Glasgow Junior Cup, results due in great measure to Parker's deadly shooting. While with Ashfield he was chosen to represent the Scottish Juniors against England twice and once against Ireland.
Annexed by Glasgow Rangers he often figured in their first team, but did not secure the permanent position of forward leader. With the second eleven he was a prolific scorer, and during his three and half years’ stay with them obtained no fewer than 156 goals. Last year in 20 appearances with the first team he notched I8 goals, and a season ago was the second on the list of chief goal scorers in Scotland. Arriving in Liverpool on Thursday, he had a spin in a private practice prior to inclusion in the League eleven against The Wednesday.  Standing 5ft. 8 three quarters in, and weighing l2st... Parker is well equipped physically for the onerous post which he has agreed to occupy, and on his first appearance in English League football he created a decidedly favorable impression. He controlled the ball well, passed judiciously, and gave many signs of efficiency, when once acquainted with his new comrades. In the summer golf and bowling engage his attention but principally with the idea of keeping himself fit for football.

Athletic News - Monday 08 December 1913
By Junius
Last Friday afternoon the Everton secretary, Mr. W. C, Cuff, secured the transfer of Thomas Fern, the Lincoln City goalkeeper. A week ago I stated that the negotiations for a new goalkeeper hailing from the east had fallen through. I believe this was the case, but another offer from Lincoln was considered by the directors at a meeting on Friday afternoon. The secretary was dispatched Lincoln with a cheque for £1, 500 and at this price Fern came to Goodison Park. He only arrived in Liverpool about an hour before the match with Sheffield Wednesday started, but as subsequent events transpired, he not unduly tested. Fern, who is 25 years of age. Stands 5ft. 9 and half in., and weighs 11st 12lb.  He has shown his ability in the Lincoln City team time and time again, and Everton have undoubtedly obtained the services of a first-class custodian.

Athletic News - Monday 08 December 1913
Everton 1, Sheffield Wednesday 1
By Tityrus
With darkling skies, an ashen grey atmosphere, and the recurring drip of the rain from the eaves of the stands the conditions at Goodison Park on Saturday were moist and unpleasant for the spectators, but still more disagreeable for the players as he found himself floundering on a giving surface and battling with a greasy ball.  And yet some 23,000 lovers of the hardy game which appeals to the passions of the Saxons gathered together –chiefly under shelter.  With a fine day and a later hour for the beginning of the battle there would have been another 10,000 folks.  Why? Not even a December day could kill the curiosity to see Everton’s newest, a Fern transplanted from Lincoln City, and a fresh featured, well-built boy, Parker, who in moving from Ibrox to Everton has changed his club put not colour of his jersey.  A new goalkeeper and a fresh pivot of the vanguard formed a super-attraction.  It was like beating the drums – fore and aft.  How many everyone was to extend the glad hand of welcome to the strangers who it was hoped would lift the canopy of gloom which overhangs glorious Goodison.
Honours Easy
The result of the game was a division of the spoils, and all things considered the points up aloft reflect the struggle.  Some thought that Everton’s goal was scored from an off-side position, but under the impression that the point had not been showed I wondered what was the reason the plea of off-side never occurred to me.  Harrison passing back from the goal line gave the new boy, parker, battled and wrenched a corner off a back leg.  When this was placed there was a slight scrimmage and Parker and McSkimming, Spoors, and Davison in front of him, netted at the end of twenty-three minutes.  But within three minutes Andrew Wilson, another Caledonan chief, with a beautiful goal, as free from suspicious as a sovereign just milled in the Mint.  Kirkman dropped the ball in the centre, and just as it touched the saturated sward Andrew Wilson deftly lofted it over Fern so that it touched the underside of the bar and fell behind him.  This was all the goal getting.  There should have been more, for if the first half showed us Tweedledum and Tweedledee in the second portion Everton excelled.  They had so much the better of the argument that had the forwards been marksmen they should have obtained two or three goals.  At the same time let us tender unto Wednesday praise for sterling defence.  Not only were the backs sure kickers of the sliddery ball, but they tackled lustily, and Davison once repelled a point blank cannon shot from Beare, who unaccountably allowed a winning position to be wasted directly after.  Everton ought to have won, but they did not, and compared with last season they lost a point. 
Everton’s Defence
The game was not thrilling, but the conditions were all against good play, for if the ball gathered sufficient weight to be easy of control and even knock these strenuous footballers over , it’s surface gave no purchase to the boot.  The match was a monotone –like the weather, and never lifted the crowd beyond the desolation of a December drizzle.  Fern is a goalkeeper.  I had never seen him before, but a cultivated eye soon enables a man to detect the real artist.  I care not what the future may reveal.  Fern, I repeat, is the right man under the bar.  At the outset he caught a superb centre from Kirkman.  The ball was just under the crossbar, when Fern seized it and cleared, the crowd rippling with applause.  Soon Makepeace showed his confidence by passing back to the new Custodian.  Twice after changing ends Fern cheated Wilson of another goal, the second diversion being masterly.  Wilson had a bad angle to shoot from –sideways near the post –and Fern pushed the ball away to the wing with the right hand.  Fern was always in the right place, which is a highly commendable habit for a man of his vocation.  From what I saw Fern will require all his ability, for the backs were so often courting risk and exposing their side to the possibility of raids that Evertonians must have gasped.  Thompson was better in the second half than the first, for then he was a sad sinner who could not do anything right.  He could not judge the flight of the ball for either foot or head, and he was not a tackler.  I am told that this is his first really poor game; it was poor.  Macconnachie did not appear to me as of yore.  He has developed an impetuous rush for the wing forward.  This style entails success every time – otherwise it is very dangerous.  And Macconnachie gets so far down the field.  The rushes of the Everton backs are not safe tactics, and if they have been playing this game 15 goals might well be notched against them in three matches, for their unmethodical and peril-laden ways simply provoke trouble.  One man should certainly play a cool cover-goal game, and he should be Macconnachie.  The Everton half-backs were strong, and saved the situation.  Makepeace was masterly in every sense, and Harris hefty and determined, but the sheer plodding and perseverance Fleetwood was remarkable.  No one would say that he is a finished player, but he is unflinching in meeting the foe and stopping those who think they can play football.  I do not believe that Fleetwood has much more resource than when he left Rochdale, but he is most serviceable.
Parker’s Debut
The new centre forward, Parker, has to become accustomed to his comrades, and also to English League football, which is less systematic but speedier than that in vogue across the Border.  Yet Parker was pleasing.  Right at the start he made friends by his pretty and paying passes to the inside forwards, but he varied his service by plying the wing men, and especially Harrison, with some choice ground glides at a nice oblique angle.  One such example to Beare evoked a cheer, for the ring was keen to appreciate his merit.  His passes were delightful, but he did not shoot so well as I expected.  Once when Beare fired at the goalkeeper, who put the ball down in the goal area, Parker should have netted, but he missed his kick, and on another occasion Beare gave him a ball which should have been turned to account, instead of which only a barren corner resulted.  But if Parker is to get goals – his primary mission –the inside forwards must give him the ball.  That is just what they did not do.  If the centre feeds others he needs feeding himself.  The Everton front rank should remember this.  I liked Harrison, who was always ready for a pass, artistic in hooking the ball away when challenged, and reliable in his centres.  I was told that this was not his day.  At least he played well enough for me in the first half, but in the second he was strangely neglected.  For the first quarter of an hour after changing ends Harrison never had the ball at all, and when he was at last given possession by Fleetwood the folks cheered somewhat sarcastically.  Bradshaw and Jefferis were incompatibly slower than two seasons ago, and Beare not so sprightly as he used to 
Be.  Jefferis made a shot or two towards the close, but the subtlety which used to distinguish him was not seen in this match.  I cannot understand why there was not a place for Nuttall, whom I remember at Manchester United.
Wednesday’s Steady Standard
As usual; Sheffield Wednesday were always substantial, and skillful up to a point, but not in finishing their work.  There is few better goalkeepers than Davison who is clean, quick, and sure.  The backs provided a strong contrast to the Everton pair, Spoors again playing an admirable game on the left.  The intermediate men reached a level standard, and if I alone mention Brittleton it is because I think that he accomplished most.  Brittleton not only did his own work but covered up the deficiencies of his mates.  Of the forwards, Kirkman, who was carried off just before the close, played well when he had the chance.  But he did not get so much of the ball as he was entitled to.  Robertson, having injured another knee, was an absentee, but Wright proved an average understudy.  In the first half he did as he liked against Thompson, but was not so prominent afterwards.  The monumental forward was Andrew Wilson, who either carried on the attack by himself or opened out the game for others.  Seldom does Wilson very much, for his standard of honest and clever effort is well maintained.  I cannot say that Burkinshaw rose above mediocrity, while Miller was earnest in striving to meet the needs of his new berth if he was not convincing.  But of one thing I am certain –the Wednesday were quicker to the ball and in dealing with it.  Everton; Fern; Thompson, Macconnachie (Captain); Harris, Fleetwood, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Bradshaw, and Harrison.  Sheffield Wednesday; Davison; Worrall, Spoors; Brittleman, McSkimming, Campbell; Kirkman, Burkinshaw (J.D), Miller, Wilson, and Wright.  Referee; A. Denton, Leeds. 

December 9, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The hearing of the case of the alleged attempts to bride Jesse Pennington, the West Bromwich Albion captain, in connection with the Everton match on November 29 was continued at Smethwick yesterday, when Fred Cater, or Sam Johnston, of Cleverland Mansions, Londons, was brought up on remand charged under the Prevention of Corruption Act of 1896 with an attempt to bride Pennington. Superintendent Campbell stated that he proposed to withdraw the charge against defended, and asked for his discharge. Mr. S. Chapman, who appeared for the defendant said it was perfectly obvious what the object of the withdrawal was. It was merely to overcome a legal difficulty, which arose at the last hearing. He objected to the course, which was being pursued, but would do so more definitely, at a later stage. The magistrate agreed to the withdrawal of the charge. Mr. W. Bassett, chairman of the West Bromwich Albion Football Club, said it was by his instructions that prisoner was arrested. He knew that he was charged under the Prevention of Corruption Act.

Mr. J. Shape for the prosecution, then applied for a warrant for the arrest of Johnston, which was granted. Johnson was arrested a little later, and again appeared before the magistrate. The warrant gave his name as Pascall Biolette and he was charged with on Nov. 28 th , willfully agreeing to give one Jesse Pennington an agent of the West Bromwich Albion Football Club a certain grit of money, to wit a sum of £56, as an inducement for doing or forbearing to do an act in relation to his principals' business.

Mr. Sharpe, for the prosecution, said it was a serious case and he would merely ask for formal evidence to be given and for a remand until Thursday. The police officer who arrested Biolette just outside the court after the earlier charge had been disposed of said he replied to the charge “I have nothing to say. I am in the hands of my Solicitor.” Mr. Chapman, for the defendant, said he wanted an assurance from the prosecution that they would proceed with the case on Thursday. Mr. Sharpe said he saw no reason why they should not be able to proceed on that day. The defendant was then remanded until that date. No application was made for bail.

At Birmingham yesterday a warrant was issued against Pescoe Bioletti charged with the alleged bribery of Pennington, for a similar offence in connection with Womack, captain of the Birmingham Club.

December 10 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The Final tie for the Liverpool Cup will be played at Goodison Park today, between Everton and South Liverpool, this being the first time the clubs have met. It should prove a very interesting game. The Kick off taking place at 2-15. The Everton directors last night selected the following team to do duty: - Hodge, Page, Stalker, Challinor, Fleetwood, Grenyer, Beare, Jefferis, Page, Nuttall, and Palmer.

Everton have signed a Scottish half-back who is said to be a very promising lad. His name is Robert Roy, of Boxburn United, he belongs to Edinburgh, and was captain of the Penicuik Juniors when that team won the cup. Barnsley were also anxious to secure his services.

December 11 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
For the first time in their history South Liverpool met Everton yesterday at Goodison Park, the occasion being the final tie of the Liverpool Senior Cup. The South team being beaten by a gig score of 7 goals to 2. Page, the Blues centre scoring on no fewer than six occasions, while the other point which fell to Everton was got by Nuttall, who was tried with great success at inside left. Page started for the “Blues” who immediately made tracks for the visitors' goal, Balmer having to kick out from Nuttall. Speakman changed the venue, and the home defence was called upon to repel a warm attack. Palmer then dashed away on the left, and was responsible for a couple of nice centres, one of which was headed over by Page. Eventually the Blues again got down, and Page easily beat Bradshaw. This happened after seven minutes' play. Another spirited attack by the Everton forwards ended in Page sending wide, while later Bradshaw was compelled to handle a fine shot from Beare. Horrocks was prominent on the left for South Liverpool, and Page was forced to concede a fruitless corner. After Bradshaw had saved from Palmer, and Balmer had relieved the South forwards got going and Young, and Bowyer and Horrocks were responsible for some good work, but found Page a stubborn defender. After Speakman had worked well the home goal was again assailed, and Sandy Young delivered a fine shot, which shaved the upright. The Blues returned to the attack, and Page added a second goal, this being followed a few minutes later by a third by Nuttall. Play was keenly contested, and both goals were subjected to warm attacks. Nearing the interval, Palmer was responsible for a beautiful shot at long range, which Bradshaw successfully negotiated, and Nuttall twice placed over the bar. Later Beare caused Bradshaw to save, and then Jefferis shot wide. Everton were easily the better side. Half-time Everton 3 South Liverpool nil.

In the second half the “Blues” early on attacked and South Liverpool had a very narrow escape, Balmer relieving at a critical moment. The South forced matters, and good work by Horrock led to a fruitless corner being forced. South Liverpool made headway, and Bowyer succeeded in beating Hodge, with a few minutes later a foul against Page in the penalty area led to Bowyer scoring a second goal from the resulting penalty kick . Everton, however, soon regained their advantages; Page scoring two further goals, which brought his individual record to four. Nearing the end Palmer put in a nice cross shot, and the ball rolled along the line, Page rushed up and banged it into the net. The discomfiture of South Liverpool was complete when Page registered a seventh goal. Teams: - Everton: - Hodge, goal, J. Page, and Stalker backs, Challinor, Fleetwood (Captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, T. Page, Nuttall, and Palmer forwards. South Liverpool: - Bradshaw, goal, Balmer, and Smith, backs, Williams, Carlisel, and Gray, half-backs, Speakman, Maddison, S. Young, Bowyer, and Horrock, forwards. Referee W.E. Jones.

December 12, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Against the Wanderers at Bolton Everton are giving a trial to Chedgzoy at outside right vice Beare, while Nuttall who was unexpectedly deposed last week, will come in for Bradshaw at inside left, a position he fulfilled with success in the Liverpool Cup final on Wednesday. Fern; Thompson, and Macconnachie; Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace; Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Nuttrall, and Harrison will represent the Everton.

December 12 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The charge of attempting to bride Jesse Pennington, the captain of West Bromwich Albion F.C., was proceeded with at Smethwick yesterday, when the defendant Pascal Bioletti was committed for trial at the Staffordshire Assizes, bail being allowed, charged with corruption, agreeing to give Pennington £55 on condition that the match between West Bromwich Albion, and Everton, on the ground of the former, on November 20 th last, resulted in a draw or a defeat for the Albion. Mr. F. J. Wad (secretary of the Football Association) and Mr. Howard Cant (chairman of the Birmingham Football Club) were present. Mr. Sharpe, who appeared for the West Bromwich Albion, said if Defendant was found guilty he would be liable to two years' imprisonment or a fine of £500 or both.

Mr. Shape then briefly recapitulated the facts, which were that on November 28 th , the day before the Albion and Everton match, the defendant called on Pennington, and offered him an inducement to bring about a draw of the match. Strangly enough the Albion unfortunately made a draw, and Pennington met the defendant on the ground at the close of the game, and in the presence of Police officers handled to the Albion captain a bag of gold amounting to £55. The facts were reported to the Attorney General, who had given his fist for the prosecution. They now knew that Bioletti was the father of Alfred Bioletti, living at Howe, and carrying on an extensive football coupon business in Geneva in the name of White Fisher. He issued circulars by thousands inviting people to back certain teams at most advantageous odds. Men Women, and Children filled up these coupons. It was against such a system at this that the Football Association wished to strike, more so then against the defendant.

Pennington was called, and said that when defendant visited him, he asked him to commit his offer in writing, so that he might shot it to all the players. He replied “Willingly,” and he wrote the words produced upon one of Pennington's memo, Forms. He wrote it without any prompting or dictation from pennington. On the day of the match he again visited and asked, “Is it on?” He replied that he had not seen the players, and it was arranged that before the match started he (Pennington) was to give a signal if all was right. He was to wipe his hands across his nose. None of the other players knew anything of the offer. The chairman –A draw was the natural result? Yes. After the match proceeded Pennington, he went to defendant who handled him a bag. He counted the coins in this, and found the content £55.

Defendant, who pleaded not guilty, and reserved his defence, was committed for trial at the Staffordshire Assizes, bail being allowed himself in £1,500 and two sureties of £1000. Mr. Chapman (for the accused) –I am afraid that is prohibitive.

Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian - Saturday 13 December 1913
Lincoln City Transfer Fern to Everton.
Fern, the Lincoln goalkeeper, was on Friday night transferred Everton for $1,500. Fern played his first game for Everton on Saturday. Lincoln City refused fee of £1,200 for him during the week. Fern joined Lincoln City from Worksop, and has rendered the “Imps.” great service. This is his fifth season with Lincoln, and daring the last campaign he never misled match. Despite his bulk. Fern a quick and resourceful custodian.

Disaster Dogs Everton.
Athletic News - Monday 15 December 1913
The results games in the First Division of the League Saturday afford a gain of two points each to West Bromwich Albion, Burnley, and Newcastle United, and one point each to Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur, and Bradford City. In the other four games there is no change, and in the case Bolton Wanderers and Everton the issue was precisely the same as last season—not a goal being scored. This was Everton’s third consecutive draw, and a point earned at Bolton is probably their best performance this season although the Wanderers never revealed the form that they have exhibited in previous matches. For the first time in eight matches Everton kept their defence intact, thanks to great improvement in their back play and the occasional brilliance Fern. But Everton had a melancholy experience as Samuel Chedgzoy, the outside-right that they secured from Burnell's Ironworks, a club in the West Cheshire League in 1910, had the great misfortune to break his hip-bone in a collision with Feebury, the back. Chedgzoy. Who was brought out by Walter Cookson, the ex- Blackpool player, was believed to have a future. His experience extends over five years. Blessed with speed his working of the ball and his shooting encouraged the idea that he would make a name. How far this unfortunate accident may prejudice his prospects remains to be seen. Disaster seems to dog the footsteps of Everton this season.

Athletic News - Monday 15 December 1913
In their match with Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park, the Everton second team managed to scramble home by the odd goal in five they were the better side, though they failed to accept very many chances of scoring.  In the first half Brannick gave Everton the lead, but Hodgkinson equalized. After the change of ends Beare and Palmer added farther goals, but once more Hodgkinson reduced the margin, and the final score was 3—2 in favour of Everton. For the winners, new-comer at right full-back, Seed played a good game, but the defence of Hodge, in goal, and Stalker, was by no means reliable. Challinor again showed smart footwork in the intermediate line. And forward, Beare and Palmer were noticeable. On the Bolton, Feebery proved sterling defender, whilst Seddon at centre half-back, and H. Smith, at inside left, were often in evidence.

Athletic News - Monday 15 December 1913
Surely Fortune has frowned on Samuel Chedgzoy, Everton’s outside-right, in their League eleven at Bolton.  For some weeks he had displayed resplendent form in the Central League eleven, insomuch that his inclusion in the premier ranks had become imperative.  His first appearance was productive of a tragedy for in a collision with an opponent his hip bone was broken, and it is to be feared that his football days are over.  Only a few days ago Chedgzoy approached the Everton directors with a request that he should be placed on the transfer list.  He had played well for the Reserves, but had seen Beare again brought forward without any recognition of his claims, which had been repeatedly put forth by those who had seen him.  He was given his chance at Bolton after many days, and now he lays a cripple in the Infirmary there. 

Athletic News - Monday 15 December 1913
Bolton Wanderers 0, Everton 0
By Crossbar
Bolton Wanderers on their own ground never seem able to do themselves justice against Everton.  Season have passed since the wanderers have gained the full points, and their supporters had another disappointing experience on Saturday.  It is a fact that the men from Goodison Park have actually won more games on the Wanderers ground than the home team. On Saturday Everton were possibly the smarter and cleverer of the two teams. They certainly deserved their share of the spoils. Fern, their new goalkeeper from Lincoln City, gave a really brilliant display, and was backed up couple of sound, vigorous defenders, and this trio succeeded in accomplishing what no other team, either home or away, had done since September 20, viz., the retaining of a clean sheet against such assertive and dangerous forwards as Bolton possess. It cannot be said with truth, however, that the Wanderers, and particularly the forwards and half-backs, played up to their reputation. On the contrary, it was beyond question the worst display they have given their supporters this season, and in startling contrast to what we saw of their prowess against the famous Rovers a fortnight ago. They never once seemed thoroughly to get into their stride, the forwards were weak and ineffective in front of goal, and only the latest comer to the middle line, Heslop, enhanced his reputation.
The home defence stood up well against the dangerous rushes of the opposing forwards who found work for Edmondson to do, and he did it well. Feebury and Baverstock, largely through the weakness of those in front of them, had a much more harassing time than they have recently been accustomed to, and their consistent steadiness was one of the features the game. Glendenning gave the opposing wingers too much latitude, and Fay, while tackling with some success, failed to place the ball with his accustomed accuracy. The forwards were all persevering, and showed fine stamina, but they lacked that concerted action and effective combination at close quarters which they have shown in other engagements. Donaldson and Smith were about the best of the quintette, individually, and were certainly the most dangerous. Lillycrop passed out well to the wings, and Jones worked hard with the rest, but there was little sling behind their drives for the Everton goal. It is a long time since Vizard contributed so few well-judged, accurate centres. So far as the Evertonians are concerned, too much praise cannot be bestowed upon Fern. Fearless and cool, he was never at a loss how to deal with the shots which came in his direction. There was no hesitancy or uncertainty about his clearances. Despite the general ineffectiveness of the Wanderers' forwards. Fern had many anxious moments. In the first half, while on his knees he twice in quick succession stopped forceful ground shots from Donaldson and Smith, and then, in the second period, he crowned his work by a magnificent save from half a dozen opponents, which earned him unstinted cheers from all round the ground. He had to throw himself full length to tackle a shot from the left, and before regained his feet the ball was returned and an exciting melee under the bar was the sequel. Fern again came to the ground with the ball under him; the next moment it was among a forest of legs, but the goalkeeper once more secured the ball. Over a dozen players struggled on the goal line for its possession, and several came down in a heap. The defence, however, thanks largely to Fern, again prevailed.
Reference has already been made to the sterling work of Maconnachie and Thompson, and the hall-backs were a resourceful and tireless trio. Fleetwood and Makepeace were undoubtedly rare combination spoilers, while Harris looked well after the Wanderers’ Welsh international Left Wing.  It cannot be said that any one of the Everton forwards really did bad.  There were individually smart on the ball. There was no waiting until it came to them, and as a line they were repeatedly cheered by their followers for well-judged passes and the thorough understanding between them. Young Chedgzoy, the Ellesmere Port youth, who met with a serious accident in in the closing stages, was a great success at outside-right, and Nuttall the ex-Manchester United man, who appeared at inside-left, also justified his inclusion. Parker, the leader, distributed the ball with capital judgment; while Harrison and Jefferies were about the most dangerous of a line whose only failing seemed to be a lack of finishing power. The whole quintette were clever in their field work. Chedgzoy’s accident happened in this way. The ball came out from the centre towards the wing, and Feebury, the Wanderers' full back, and Chedgzoy, made a dash for it. Near the corner flag the players collided, and when the Evertonian came down the Wanderer fell over him. Feebury regained his feet, limping badly, but Chedgzoy had to be carried to the dressing rooms, where he was examined by Dr. J. H. Marsh, one of the Wanderers’ directors, who found that the left hip bone was fractured. Immediate relief was given, pending the arrival of the Borough motor-ambulance, which was telephoned for, and Chedgzoy was removed to the Infirmary. Bolton Wanderers—Edmonson; Baverstock, Feebury; Glendenning,  Fay, Heslop; Donaldson. Jones, Lillycrop, Smith, and Vizard. Everton— Fern; Thompson, Maconnochie (Captain); Harris, Fleetwood, Makepeace; Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Nuttall, and Harrison. Referee: H.H. Taylor. Altrincham.

December 15, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The game at Bolton where Everton furnished the attraction, was marred by a regrettable and serious injury to Chedgzoy, who 15 minutes from the close of the game came into violent collision with Feebery, and sustained a fractured pelvis. This was indeed unfortunate, for the popular Evertonian, who had won his right of entry to the League team by skill and ability with the reserves, had up to the period of his injury, fully justified his inclusion and was developing into one of the most useful of the forwards. On his form up to this point he would have been difficult to displace, for he gave of his best, and that required the closest attention of the home defenders. He was about to take a pass from Jefferis when Feebery dashed in and cleared the ball, and immediately afterwards the accident happened. It was given out in the dressing-room that his hip bone had been broken, but Mr. Cuff, who accomplished Chedgzoy to the Infirmary, informed us later that an examination revealed a pelvis fracture, which will keep him in hospital for many weeks. His injury will put him out of football at any rate for the remainder of the season, and the sympathy of his many admirers will go out to him in his unfortunate trouble.

It is somewhat remarkable that Everton have in recent years found the Bolton enclosure a profitable hunting ground for League points, for several seasons have passed by since the Wanderers have subdued the Blues at Burnden Park. The game generally resolved itself into a trial of strength between the respective defence, and they played their parts well. While in the first half the Wanderers' forwards were the more aggressive, they could not best down the oppositing forces, but the home rearguard had a rough time in the second portion up to the unfortunate incident referred to, following which Everton's chances were naturally discounted. But the “ten” played up pluckily, and that they managed to avert defeat was a particularly creditable performance. Chief interest was centred upon the display of the doconstituted line of forwards, and particularly as to the merits of the new players. They were some time in settling down to each other's requirements, but their methods gradually developed to an extent that gave the Bolton defenders considerable trouble. The forwards were fleeter-footed and more incisive in their passing movements than had been the case in recent games; still there was not the necessary bite in their final touches to ensure success. However, further association will engender confidence, and in the front of such sterling halves and capable defenders, the team should leave their troubles behind.

The Everton directors have undoubtedly been fortunate in securing the services of Fern, whose custodianship bore the hall-mark of class. His anticipation of shots turned out accurate in every instance, and the grit and persistency with which he on one occasion saved his charge, what time a host of opponents were endeavouring to force the ball into the net, merited the unstinted applause of the big gathering. He gave early evidence of his ability in dealing with high and low shots, and his safe-keeping no doubt inspired confidence among his backs, each of whom was seen to great advantage. Macconnachie rarely allowed quarter and cleared with good judgement, and his young partner. Thompson, was equally effective. Everton's half back never flagged throughout the whole game as no doubt the Wanderers' forwards would be ready to admit. Fleetwood played with his usual whole-heartedness, stoutly challenging Lillycrop, and his inside men, while the manner in which Makepeace and Harris subdued the crack Bolton wingers was a revelation. The trio were also good providers, and when Parker settles down to English League methods the forwards should get among the goals. The ex-Ranger was inclined to keep the play close, especially in the first half, but he took in the situation later on and gave a sample of his shooting ability, which on one occasion almost took Edmondson by surprise. Harrison put in several clever cross drives that troubled Feebery and had in Nuttall a capable seconded. Jefferis, with asttractive footwork, opened out the play nicely for his partner, and the wing looked like effecting good results until the unfortunate incident referred to upset their plan of campaign. For the Wanderers, Edmondson kept a safe good and had excellent covers in Baverstock and Feebery. Fay was responsible for much clever work as the pivot of the team, and Heslop looks, like developing into a very serviceable left half. The forwards were rarely allowed to get under weigh, and the best work came from Donladson and Smith. Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Edmondson, goal, Baverstock, and Feebery, backs, Glendinning, Fay, and Helsop, half-backs, Donaldson, Jones, Lillycrop, Smith, and Vizard, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace half-backs, Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Parker, Nuttall, and Harrison, forwards.

December 15, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
In an interesting game, which teemed with exciting incidents, Everton defeated Bolton by the odd goal in five. The Blues set a very fast pace from the commencement, and the wing men, Beare and Palmer were seen to advantage in some stirring attacks, Brannick met a fast centre from Parker and shot the ball into the net at terrific speed. Nearing the interval, Stalker misjudged a high ball, with the result that Hodgkinson placed his side on even terms. On starting the second moiety, Beare, and Palmer both early defeated the Bolton keeper. With a two goal lead, Everton were inclined to take matters easy, and as a result Bolton came more into the picture. A few minutes from the close, Hodgkinson again got through. Bennett, Everton's latest acquisition played a fair game in the centre, and deserved an extended trial. Seed, another debutant proved to be a stirring and resolute back, who is sure to be afforded further opportunities of displaying his merit. Teams: - Everton: - Hodge, and Seed, and Stalker, backs, Cahllinor, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Brannick, Bennett, Johnston, and Palmer, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Tyldesley, goal, Feebury and Stott, backs, Gimblett, Seddon, and Whiteside, half-backs, Stokes, Davies, Hodgkinson, H. Smith, and Cope, forwards .

December 22, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
It was disconsolate crowd that trooped off Goodison Park in semi-darkness. It was a bad light at the start, and things got worse as the game advanced. The state of the atmosphere did actually cause a stoppage in the second half, and the cause was not without its humorous side. To add to the discomfort of the mist, a house chimney close by caught fire, and at the Walton end of the ground thick smoke came floating over the stand on to the ground. Fern, the Everton goal keeper was completely enveloped, and for some moments was lost to view. It was such an unpleasant experience that he left his post of duty for a few moments to get a mouthful of fresh air. In the meantime Parker had been temporarily put out of action, and the referee restarting the game until the smoke had cleared. The crowd quite welcomes this little interlude. Not that there had been a surfeit of excitement. On the contrary, this had been about the most exciting thing that had happened. The game itself was dull to the point of weariness. It seemed as though both goals had been put under a magic spell, for the forwards on either side seemed to be able to do nothing right when they got anywhere near goal. But it was not a matter of hard luck, but either sheer lack of tact and penetrative skill. The forwards never shaped like scoring in fact, it would have been difficult to imagine a more ineffective display in front of goal. If anything, Everton did most of the attacking, but as soon as openings were created so sure would they be bungled at the crucial moment. Molyneux had not more than two difficult shots to stop all though the game, and these came from Parker and Harris quite early on. Chelsea's nearest approach to securing a goal was in the closing stages, when Macconnachie came near to putting through his own goal. All the sparkle that the Chelsea forwards had shown against Sunderland was entirely absent for, except for the occasional breakaway of Ford and Bridageman, they were rarely dangerous. The absence of Halse seemed to completely demoralise the line, and while Walker was a poor substitute Woodward and Whittingham were almost equally ineffective.

Everton also were weak at centre-forward, for Parker not only showed little or no resource himself, but he was anything but a good general, showing poor judgement in distributing his attack. Jefferis was the most prominent of the home, forwards. He provided a number of openings for Beare, but the outside right was in one of his most impotent moods. He did manage to rush the ball into the net in the second half, after stopping it with has hand, and fortunately for Chelsea the infringement did not escape the notice of the referee. The most satisfactory feature of the game was the soundness of the respective defences, but the full backs were made to look more reliable than they really were through the impotence of the forwards. Fleetwood was a rare spoiler and Makepeace, also, got through a vast amount of good work. Macconnachie was always too good for the Chelsea right wing, and Thompson was equally effective his kicking being particularly clean. Fern had no really difficult shots to stop, having less work to do even then Molyneux. Not one of the Chelsea forwards called for praise, but the Southerners were well represented by their halves and backs. Taylor, who again had the misfortune to be injured, was a hard worker, and Logan was also prominent. Harrow, who went to Chelsea as a half-back, fully justified his inclusion at right full-back. He gave a sound display, both in tackling and kicking, and Sharp was also sound. Everton's difficulties seem to be no nearer a satisfactory solution than they was a month ago. Four successive drawn games is not a pleasing record, and the fact that seventeen games have only produced a score of goals is convincing proof of the great need of real marksmen in the team. Teams : - Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Nuttall, and Harrison, forwards. Chelsea: - Molyneux, goal, Harrow, and Sharp, backs, Taylor, Logan, and Hunter, half-backs, Fox, Whittingham, Walker, Woodward, and Bridgeman, forwards. Referee L. Baker.

Athletic News - Monday 22 December 1913
Everton maintained their high position in the table by a 3-1 victory at Stockport.  Brannick (2) and Palmer scored for them, and Beswick obtained a penalty goal for the County. 

Athletic News - Monday 22 December 1913
Everton 0, Chelsea 0
By Junius
ONCE upon a time Everton won a League match; away back in October they routed Derby County at Goodison Park, and evidently were so ashamed of their conduct that they have not beaten any team since. Thus we come the Christmastide, when it is reasonable to expect the "waits,” and many of the supporters of the Everton club are waiting and waiting. They are hoping that their favourites will win another match; they are not despondent; it is the festive season, when everything comes to him who waits. If it does not come, then he himself is alone to blame; he has not waited long enough. Football matches cannot be won unless somebody scores a goal, and in this engagement—a word which I use most advisedly—no one seemed to consider it necessary to do so. The best chances of gaining goals came to Beare, but all no purpose. It is true that he once managed to defeat Molineux, but it was with his hands that he achieved his object, and the referee sufficiently alert to see the illegality.
Worse forward play I have not witnessed for many a day and even now I can only wonder what was the objective for all the striving which ten first-class footballers had in their mind. I have no intention of endeavoring to compare the abilities of the respective forward lines; it is a difficult task to estimate negative quantities, especially when these descend far below the normal standard. Fern and Molineux must have wondered why they were chosen to take part in the proceedings; the latter was troubled a few times in the first half, and had the audacity to actually stop shots from Harris and Parker, a course of procedure which was sufficient to disgust anybody. At times the encircling mist shrouded the proceedings, as if even nature itself was inclined to be generous to the onlookers, but when a chimney in the immediate vicinity belched forth its smoke and completely obliterated the view some twenty minutes from the finish the situation became farcical. Nevertheless, the men preserved with their task, they went through the ninety minutes without a murmur, and when the final whistle blew they were exactly where they had started, neither better nor worse, and nobody any the wiser.  Of course there was certain incidental moves by the respective forwards, for it could hardly be expected that they could continue for an hour and a half without advancing some reason for their participation in the game.  Hence it transpired that Jefferis and Nuttall came into prominence with determined attempts, and their footwork was most creditable, inasmuch that it provided chances for the extreme wingers on the Everton side.  Harrison dealt capably what came his way, but his centres were not so redolent of danger as usual, whilst his most skillful attempts were badly utilized by the other members of the front rank. Parker did little beyond occupying the centre-forward position, and Beare was even less effective: he was the feeblest of a very moderate vanguard. Chelsea had to play Walker In the centre in place of Halse, and I should say that the change did not tend towards the Londoners’ prospects success. There were occasional glimpses of ability shown by Ford and Bridgeman, and the inside forwards were often concerned in intricate exchanges. There must have been some incentive in their minds, but concerning what this was I should not care to venture any opinion.
It is a pleasure to turn to a commentary of the other divisions of these teams, where some really good football was witnessed. In the Everton back division Makepeace and Fleetwood gave excellent exhibitions, and provided their forwards with chances of the most seductive nature. Harris was little inferior in efficiency to his two partners, and at full-back Thompson and Maconnachie defended reliably. Fern could scarcely keep himself warm. Of the Chelsea back division, Harrow appealed to me as the most efficient, and the right full back, whom I had never before seen in League football, gave a capital exhibition. He timed his intrusions to a nicety, and kicked with such unerring accuracy that he was not excelled by any other defender on the field. Sharp played soundly, and in the intermediate line Taylor and Hunter were the prime performers. The former was hurt in the first half, and retired for a little while, but when he resumed he showed no signs of weakening powers. Logan was a sturdy half-back. Everton.—Fern; Thompson, Macconnachie (captain); Harris, Fleetwood, Makepeace; Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Nuttall,  and Harrison. Chelsea.—Molynenx; Harrow, Sharp: Taylor, Logan, Hunter: Ford, Whittingham, Walker, V. J. Woodward, and Bridgeman. Referee; I. Baker, Nantwich.

December 22, 191. The Liverpool Courier. CENTRAL LEAGUE (Game 16)
Everton Reserves gained another clever victory at Stockport, and they now occupy a very strong position in the League table. All the scoring took place in the first half, Brannick, Page, and Palmer getting the goal each for the Blues, and Berwick nothing the County's only point.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph - Wednesday 24 December 1913
Ex-Wednesday Player Joins Preston.
Negotiation? were completed last night for the transfer of Walter Holbem from Paisley St Mirren to Preston North End. Holbem who can play either right or left-back, was with Everton and Sheffield Wednesday prior to joining St. Mirren. He has not been included the Saints’ team for month, owing to a difference with the directors. He is a strong tackier, good kick, and has a fine turn speed.

December 24, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton start the Christmas programme by visiting Old Trafford tomorrow, where the Blues will, no doubt find Manchester United “all out” to maintain the advantage they secured last week by humbly the leaders at Ewood-Park for the first time this season. Everton are always an attractive side at Cottopolis, and the United management have been making preparation for the housing of a big crowd tomorrow. At the same time of writing both Whalley and Duckworth are doubtful starters for the United, but every effort will be made to get them fit for the encounter. Everton on the other hand are in the position of being able to place the same time in the field as did duty against Chelsea. On their last visited at Old Trafford the Blues were beaten by two goals to nil, and if a similar result is not to be chronicled again the visitors will have to perform much better than against the pensioners. The Goodison Park men, have certainly not finished well in recent matches, but it is hoped that they will “come out of their Skills” during the festive season.

December 26, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton experienced another piece of misfortune at Old Trafford yesterday, when they lost Johnston, their inside left, with a compound fracture of the right leg below the knee. They won the game certainly, and the two points will be valuable, but it is almost disheartening after all the efforts made by the directors to improve their side, to lose Chedgzoy and Johnston in the space of eight days. The mishap, which cast a gloom over the rest of the game, occurred after 35 minutes had elapsed. Johnston had just made a brilliant shot at the United goal, when Stacey, who was tackling him, caught his foot. He fracture resulted from the twist so occasioned as Johnston was recovering his balance. Seven minutes were lost while a stretcher was being improved from a display board. Consequent on this and other stoppages play finished in semi-darkness. The visitors played pluckily under their disadvantage, but were not able up to the interval to hold their opponents as they had done previously. In the second half, with their ten men, however, they were fully equal to their rivals, and three minutes from the restart they broke away, and Parker headed a delightful goal from a corner from the left wing. It was the only score of the match. A draw would have been a better reflection of the merits of the teams. That it was not, or even victory for the United, was largely due to Fern, who kept goal brilliantly, some of his saves being strokes of genius. Twice he was laid out in taking the ball from opponents. Beare, too, on the other side, kept a good goal, though not so much tested. He should have been beaten again in the second half, for Parker gave the ball to Beare almost under the bar, and the outside right by some means managed to lift it over. Everton were blessed with two fine backs in Macconachie and Thompson. Makepeace and Harris were sound at half. After the interval the visitors four forwards were much better than United's five. Parker was particularly nippy, and Harrison fired in some grand shots from outside left. The United suffered most from the weakness of the left wing, West doing practically nothing all through the game, and Wall falling away altogether after the early stages Meredith and Anderson were the best of them, and in a very fine performance by the Welsh man there was nothing better than a typical touch on the goal line which enabled him to beat Macconnachie. In the centre Anderson was always dashing, but the other three did not play up to the form of their confreres. It was not any weakness of the home defence that cause their downfall, Knowles, Whalley, who was brought in after recovering from injuries, and Hamill were all good, and Hodge and Stacey defended splendidly. Teams: - Manchester United: - Beale, goal, Hodges, and Stacey, Knowles, Whalley, and Hamill, half-backs, Meredith, Turnbull, Anderson, West, and Wall, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Johnston, and Harrison, forwards. Referee A. Hargreaves.

December 26, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Manchester United provided the opposition at Goodison Park yesterday, when they were defeated by three goals to one. In the opening stages of the game the United had much the better of the exchange, and after about 15 minutes Woodcock slipped between the backs, and defeated Mitchell. The reverse had a stimulating effect on the blues, and they put forth their best efforts to summount the Manchester defence. Everton had no luck in there attempts to score, however, for Wareing struck the upright with a terrific shot, and Bennett also shot against the woodwork when he appeared certain to score. The interval arrived with the visitors leading by one goal to nil. Everton commenced the second half in a more business-like manner, and in a very short space of time, Bennett put his side on level terms. After this success Everton never relaxed their efforts, and fine forceful football resulted in Page and Wright adding further goals. On the home side Mitchell was very safe in goal, and Seed at full back improve on every appearance. In the intermediate line Wareing was a prominent figure, and a fine attacking line was led by Page. Manchester have a clever goalkeeper in Royals, while the old Liverpool favourites in Livingstone and Chorlton stood out prominently as strong and judicious defenders. With the exception of Woodcock the forwards were only a moderate lot, and after the first 15 minutes could make little impression on the home defence.

December 27, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
The Merseyside crowd, have been highly favoured in the two holiday games. On Christmas Day Liverpool's victory over Manchester City was most creditable, but Everton went one better yesterday in recording a double win against Manchester United by the big margin of five goals to nil, before a holiday crowd of fully 50,000. Everton won by five goals at Derby, but apart from that match goals have been very scare, and they had not had more than two goals in any of their previous League games this season. The absence of Anderson, led to a rebuffing of the United attack, with anything but satisfactory result, for while Potts was not a suitable partner, for Meredith, West at centre forward was nothing near so good a general as Anderson. The United had the further misfortune to lose, Whalley in the early stages of the game. He sprained his knee and had to retire. This handicap proved too much for the visitors, and in the later stages they were completely over-played. Everton were certainly in great form, and right from the start they had the best of the argument. At times their forwards were really brilliant, and while the line worked with complete harmony, Parker and Nuttall –who took the place of Johnston –were conspicuous for their resourcefulness and spirited dash.

There was no better player on the field than Parker. He played magnificent football. His long passes to the wings were always well judged and accurately placed, and he was always alert for openings. Beare, and Jefferis were also seen to better advantage than in the Chelsea match, and although Beare often found Stacey too quick for him, he did some good work. On the other wing Harrison seemed to have no difficulty in beating Hodge, but he was disappointing in his centres, more particularly in the second half. The United forwards commenced well, and Meredith got in several fine centres, but when Wall fell back to take the place of Whalley in the intermediate line their forward play become very disjoined. Fern had only one really difficult shot to stop and that was quite early on. He had fielded a dangerous centre from Meredith, when Hamill shot with great force from close range, and once again fern showed his great worth as a custodian. Everton secured their first goal after thirty-two minutes' play. Nuttall breaking away and placing in front for Parker to steer into the net. The United opened the second half with several spirited attacks, but after Parker had capped a clever dribble by registering Everton's second goal, they appeared to completely lose heart. For the remainder of the game Everton kept up almost constant pressure, and had the inside forwards accepted all the chances provided the United would have lost by even a greater margin. Jefferis was twice unlucky with well-meant efforts, while one of his centres provided the easiest of chances for Nuttall, who with only the keeper to beat from close range, placed just wide of the near side post. Nuttall, however, was responsible for the next two goals. He scored the third from a pass by Parker, who had again worked his way round Hodge, and the fourth was the result of clever individual efforts. In the last five minutes of the game the United defence was completely overwhelmed, and Parker added a fifth; while just after the final whistle Harrison found the net with a header-a second too late.

The half-back play of Everton was one of the features of the game. Fleetwood once again worked with tremendous energy, and his placing was good while Makepeace and Harris were also hard workers. Hamill put in a lot of useful work for the United, but Knowles was much less reliable. Macconnachie was rather shaky at the start, but improved later on and Thompson was particularly sound, both in his fearless tackling and kicking. Stacey played well for the visitors, but Hodge, at right full back was not seen at his best, and Beale did not inspire confidence. The gate receipts amounted to £1,550

Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Nuttall, and Harrison, forwards. Manchester United: - Beale, goal, Hodge, and Stacey, backs, Knowles, Whalley, and Hamill, half-backs, Meredith, Potts, Turnbull, West, and Wall, forwards. Referee A. Hargreaves.

December 27 1913.
The Liverpool Courier.
Everton, who beat Manchester United at Goodison Park on Christmas Day, secured a point at Old Trafford as the result of a goalless draw. The United had the better of the play, taking the match all through, but Mitchell kept goal well, while Wareing did fine work at centre half.

Athletic News - Monday 29 December 1913
Everton enjoyed a rare financial harvest on Boxing Day in their return fixture with Manchester United.  The gate receipts amounted to 1,549 12s, which exceeds the sum taken in the best engagements with Liverpool this being usually taken as a basis of comparison.
The unfortunate accident to lance Johnston, the reserve inside left of Everton, at Old Trafford on Christmas Day, has deprived the club of the services of a most promising forward.  There is no doubt that the affair was a purely accidental one, but Everton are to be commiserated with under the circumstances.  Few organizations have experienced such wretched fortune, for within a month two capable reserve forwards in Chedgzoy and Johnston have bene rendered hors de combat and possibly handicapped for future football by most regrettable accidents in the shape of broken limbs.
Donnachie's Benefit
Joseph Donnachie, the Oldham Athletic out-side left, will take his benefit on Thursday, and as his old club, Everton, supplies the opposition at Boundary Park, the fixture should be a popular one.  Donnachie who played for Scotland against England last season, learned his football in Glasgow with such strong junior organizations as Clydebank Juniors, and Rutherglen Glencairn.  He had a trial with the Celtic, but his first professional engagement was with Greennock Morton, and subsequently he saw service with Newcastle United, prior to his engagement with Everton with whom he remained almost three seasons. 

Athletic News - Monday 29 December 1913
With a rearranged team Everton Reserves easily accounted for Preston’s second eleven, at Goodison Park.  Only one goal was scored in the first half, Wareing gaining this from a penalty kick.  He took a second one later in the game, but this time Vickers saved the shot.  Everton were one point ahead at the interval, and afterwards their lead was increased by Page, Brannick, and Kirby in the order named.  The visitors managed to score, by Toward and Everton won readily enough by four goals to one.  Weller was given a further trial at left full-back and shaped very creditably; in fact, the home defence all round was too strong for the opposition brought against it. 

Athletic News - Monday 29 December 1913
Preston North End 1, Everton 0
Football form got another of those holiday twists at Deepdale, where a team that had twice beaten Manchester United in two days succumbed on the third to a side that had lost ten goals to Blackburn Rovers in the two meetings, and which, as at Ewood Park on Christmas Day, was reduced by injury to ten men for three quarters of the game. By this victory Preston North End saved their Christmas record from complete wreckage, and under the circumstances they will do nothing finer all season, even if they do manage stave off their probable fate. In the first place, they had the utmost difficulty in fixing up anything like a side of the requisite quality, and even then it was only done by pressing into service several men who ought to have been licking their wounds. It was, however, a mistake to play a doubtful man like Henderson on a ground which would have put a big strain on a perfectly sound limb. This fine young half back has not played since he ricked a knee at Bramall-lane some weeks ago, and though he believed he had recovered, and was keen to be in the field again, Saturday was not the day for the experiment.
The inevitable happened. In the first tackle Henderson’s knee went, and though he returned for the last 30 minutes of the first half, he was obviously only continuing under difficulties, and did not reappear after the interval. Thus Everton, for the second day in succession, were asked to beat only ten men, but whereas they swamped Manchester United at Goodison Park, they could make nothing whatever of the Deepdale opposition, although they might have at least saved a point in the first quarter of hour had Beare made better use of his chances. They played not only poor, but badly-directed football, for no use whatever was made of the weakness on Preston North End’s left flank, where they played without a half back for some time, while the team’s reputation suffered in other directions by the methods that were employed. It is a long time since I saw so many free-kicks given in such short period against any side, and although most of them were not of a really serious character the consistency of the offences spoiled both the tone of the game and the quality of the play. Once Frank Bradshaw got across M’Call a fashion that might have done serious damage to England’s centre half hack, and the referee had some talking of more than one point.
The only goal of the match towards the close of the first half of the outcome of a movement started by George Barlow, who played a very fine game against his old colleagues. The amateur smartly beat Thompson in the corner of the penalty area, and pushed the ball forward to Osborn, who swept beautifully across the goal. Bearing in swiftly from the opposite wing, Morley took it on the half volley, and drove it wide of Fern's left hand for it to pass over the line after contact with the bottom of the far post. This was one of the few examples of the game of direct shooting, for the bulk of the work both goalkeepers had to get through was of the lobbed variety, with the ball just as hard to propel in marksmanship as it was clearing.  An instance of the weight that it gathered as the game progressed was afforded by the fact that half way through the second half Thompson sustained concussion by heading out a dropping centre, and though he continued for time after recovering he had to be eventually led off ten minutes from the end in a dazed condition. This was the second experience of the kind that the ex-Leicester back has had this season, for he was similarly stunned at Blackburn some weeks ago.
Of the two, Everton had the better chances, but their forward work was very scrappy, and the only occasions when they came near scoring were when Broadhurst cleared on the line early on, with Taylor beaten, and when the goalkeeper found a shot dig in the mud two yards away, was compelled to go down full length and hug the ball to his body amongst a crowd of opponents. Nuttall alone in the attack showed consistent resource, although Jefferis would have had better results with a more determined worker than Beare.
Even when North End had only four forwards in the second half, Broome having fallen to left half, the home attack was the more dangerous. The match was largely a triumph for McCall, who held up the Everton forwards almost single-handed by a display that was a matter for wonderment after his grueling in the two matches with the Rover.  He had, too, great assistance from Holdsworth, whose work in recovery was exceptionally fine, while the backs were steadier and covered each other better than did the Everton pair. Broome, the Rochdale recruit, has had a trying introduction to First Division football. A centre half back he was drafted into the team as a  centre-forward, and  both there and when in the emergency he fell the position of left half back,  he showed a skill that, when properly disciplined, should make him a valuable member of the side in one capacity or another.  Fleetwood played hard and well in characteristic fashion in the Everton half-back line, but it was in this department, as well as in attack, that the weakness lay, for both Makepeace and Harris were sadly missed. Preston North End.—Taylor: Broadhurst, Rodway; Holdsworth, McCall, Henderson:  Morley, Marshall, Broome, Osborn, and G. H. Barlow. Everton.—Fern:  Thompson. Macconnachie (Captain); Bradshaw, Fleetwood, Grenyer; Beare, Jefferis, Parker, Nuttall and Harrison. Referee; C. R. Hall, Birmingham.

December 29, 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Sport would be nothing but for its uncertainly. After North End had been routed on the two previous days with an adverse goal record of ten to one, how many could have hoped for their success against the Everton team, who in two successive days had defeated Manchester United. Such, however, materalised, and as the Preston team had a player short for over an hour and monopolised the bulk of the game in addition, they must be credited to have accomplished a distinctly fine performance. On such a day as Saturday, with its biting wind and sloppy ground, it was anybody game, for it was an absolute impossibility to serve up the nicer points of play. Indeed, it would not have been suprising had the match been declared off, as from stem to stern the playing pitch in the centre was a veritable mud heap, and nothing short of a memerdous lunge would make the ball travel even a few yards. The North Enders took in the situation better than they opponents, who persisted in keeping the play close, and by swinging the ball out to the wings, where the only patches of firm turf lay, they managed to make progress and clinch the issue in their favour.

A more desultory scramble can scarcely be imagined, and added to this there were rulings during the course of the game that caused no little wonderment. Unfortunately for the Everton Club, the inclusion of Bradshaw and Grenyer for Harris and Makepeace was not a success, and it was here where lay the greatest disparity between the sides. McColl and Holdsworth in additions to breaking up the Everton inside forwards play, put the ball out to their wings, and thus adopted the only play of campaign that was likely to produce goal results. On the other hand, the Everton halves, with few exceptions, concentrated their energies in keeping Parker employed, and as it was perfectly cigar that the centre forwards was not in happy humour on the heavy pitch, it passes one's comprehension that their methods were not more frequently varied than they were. Close forward play was useless on such a turf, especially against half backs of the type mentioned, and by their insistence in this matter Everton actually defeated themselves. Just after the interval the Everton wingmen were better provided, and by their sprints and centres led the home defenders a merry dance for some twenty minutes during which chances were frittered away. But later on the old style was again resorted to, and but for masterly defence the North Enders must have moreased their lead.

The only point recorded in the game was credited to Morley a few minutes before the interval. The ex-Everton amateur Barlow, who had frequently shown a clean pair of heels to this success as after sprinting smartly along, he parted for Osborne to test Fern. The inside man put the ball across, and Fern ran out to save, but Morley, bounding in, bounding in, took the ball at top speed and drove it from close quarters against the upright from which it passed into the net. It was practically the only methods of scoring on such a soddened pitch and considering the fact that Henderson's knee gave way in the opening minutes of the game, and had finally retired before the scoring of the goal. North End quite deserved their lead. Still Jefferis and Beare had put in quite good shots that only narrowly missed the mark, and on resuming the forwards might easily have overhauled their opponents had they mixed their methods when advancing to Taylor. Thompson, by getting his head too much under a long, dropping ball from Holdsworth, was stunned and this affected his subsequent play he eventually retiring six minutes from the close. A heavy hailstorm completed a round of untoward conditions, and the game reached the close with Everton defeated by the narrowest of margins.

Under the circumstances it was not surprising that only a few reputations were maintained. There was no more skilful player on the field than Macconnachie, whose interceptions and dashing challengers were outstanding features among a limited number. He was occasionally pulled up, and for no apparent infringement, still his form did not deteriorate, and this was well, for in the closing stages he frequently stood between the North End forwards and success. Thompson, too, did well up to the time of his injury, and in the half-back line Fleetwood alone played up to Everton's recent standard. The forwards were not sufficiently trustful, and as already indicated they practically defeated themselves. Barlow was the most aggressive of the home forwards, and was mostly concerned in North End's dangerous movements. Much of his success was due to the attentions of McColl, who was a capable centre half, with Holdsworth little removed in point of cleverness. The backs were not seriously extended, and in goal Taylor accomplished what came his way with good judgement. Teams: - Preston North End: - Taylor, goal, Broadhurst, and Rodway, backs, Holdsworth, McColl, and Henderson, half-backs, Morley, Marshall, Broome, Osborn, and Barlow, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Thompson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Bradshaw, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare Jefferis, Parker, Nuttall, and Harrison, forwards. Referee J.H. Hall.

January 29 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
No club, has made better progress recently than Everton's second string, and they are now only two points behind the leaders Blackburn Rovers. On Saturday the Blues had to make several changes, but they were altogether too good for their guests, Preston North End, and the home team triumphed by the substantial margin of 4 goals to 1. Wareing opened the scoring from a penalty following a foul upon Brannick, who was going strength for goal. The second was obtained by Page, Brannick, obtaining the next, and Kirby scored the fourth. (Wareing also had a penalty kick saved) Toward getting Preston's solitary point . Everton:- Mitchell, goal, Seed, and Weller backs, Kirby, Wareing, and Roy, half-backs, Challinor, Brannick, Page, Wright, and Palmer, forwards.

December 31 1913. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton open the New Year with a visit to Oldham Athletic at Boundary Park tomorrow, which fixture is interesting by reason of a fact that Donnachie, an ex-Evertonian who as a well deserved benefit. At their meeting last evening the Everton directors decided to several alterations from the side beaten at Preston. In the half-back line, Harris and Makepeace reappear to the exclusion of Bradshaw and Grenyer; while forward, Houston comes in at outside right vice Beare. T. Page the reserves centre takes Nutall's place as partner to Harrison. Everton team go into special training to Blackpool for the Cup Tie, after the New year's match on Saturday.


December 1913