Everton Independent Research Data


December 1, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee's Notes
There is a furore about tomorrow's games; Liverpool and Everton meet at Anfield in the season's first Derby.” Pagnam plays for Liverpool for the first time since joining the forces and he is assured a hearty welcome. Everton chosen their team early on, and there is not a doubtful starter in spite of rumour that has been going round about Liverpool, however are without a goalkeeper at the moment. Ted Taylor being unable to get here before the match, and was deeper anxiety to engage him. However, Pagham is playing and Bennett becomes inside right owing to Lewis falling ill. Goddard and Wadsworth are in the home team, and therefore, the sides are very well matched. Liverpool; A.N. Other; Longsworth, Lucas; Bamber, Wadsworth, McKinlay; Goddard, Bennett, Pagnam, Metcalfe, Cunliffe; Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson, Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, Harrison

•  International's Death, L.M. Lodge, he had a nervous break down and died at Buxton this week. Played at back and represented his county and made a name for self with Corinthians.

December 2, 1916, The Liverpool Football Echo
Bee's Report, Comment and Gossip on the Anfield Meeting
Winterly Conditions and Large Crowd
Twice Missed Penalty; Liverpool Lead 2-1, Goals For Metcalf, Kirsopp and Bennett.
It was Derby Day. The first of the season, so far as the Merseyside city is concerned. Liverpool League leaders and the only club in England without defeat were set to receive at Anfield road their neighbours, who, save for a draw at Burnley, have scored three goals per match ever since September passed into history. Naturally the early kick-off meant a smallish crowd –for Liverpool –at the start of the proceedings, but people were streaming into the ground what time play was progressing, and there must have been 15,000 spectators present at the start.

Faced Everton in Successive Weeks
Liverpool have played a number of goalkeepers this season. They started with Ted Taylor, who tried to get leave so he might play in this great meeting –he has always done well against Everton. Then they played the local Sutcliffe, afterwards “picking up” the sound Jimmy Ashcroft, and eventually had the able assistance of Kenny Campbell, who played a great part in the draw at Hyde-road last week. By the way Kenny's father must have heard that many good things were said of his son's work in the match for he sent for a “Football Echo” so that he might get a full report. Today Liverpool announced the temporary of Swann, of Manchester United. They tried once before this season to get his help but were unable. However, they were more successful yesterday, and as a consequence the water-pole goalkeeper and former Nomad expert made his bow to the Anfield folk. It was only last Saturday that Swann was pitted against Everton and a great game he played too “it truth it” was nothing but Swann's brilliance that kept Manchester United from a heavier defeat than 3-2.

Formation of the Sides
Liverpool were strongly represented through Pagnam obtaining leave, and filling his old pivot at centre.. Bennett has long cherished a desire to play against Everton, and when Lewis fell lame the way was made clear for Bennett's inclusion. Wadsworth returned to centre half, and Goddard to outside right, and Everton played Smith at full back, and Fleetwood having got rid of his cold, made up Everton's strong line of half-backs. Referee F. Leigh was in charge of the following side;- Liverpool, Swann, goal; Longsworth and Lucas, backs; Bamber, Wadsworth and McKinlay, half-backs; Goddard, Bennett, Pagnam, Metcalfe, and Cunliffe, forwards. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith and Thompson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Bradbury, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. Everton won the toss, and the start was five minutes late. At once Everton attacked on the left, but Goddard falling to half-back, stopped Clennell. Smith also baulked Metcalfe. The back by the way, had his left hand bandaged. The first shot came from Metcalfe, but it was not a good effort, and he showed lack of judgement in taking the shot, at such a distance. The defence by Thompson and Lucas was followed by a solo by Kirsopp, who was sprightly and difficult to disturb. Wadsworth was a glutton for work, and two swinging passes to Goddard were fine samples of half-back work. On the second occasion Goddard made Mitchell catch the ball and in fact the visitors goalkeeper was forced over the line for a corner kick. The pace was fast and much play clever, but there was not a pin's point between the teams. However, the value of following up was proved when Wadsworth put the ball out to Goddard. The ball seemed to be Thompson's right, but Bennett went for the forlorn hope, clinched the leather forward and found himself in a rare shooting spot. Hs shot was good, and Mitchell did well to hand out. But Liverpool were looking for goals, and Cunliffe and Metcalfe ran in, the latter scoring from close range a goal that had been made possible by Bennett. The home supporters cheered frantically. Everton settled down to their game, in spite of their lack of class centre forward, and when Harrison lobbed to goal Swann blundered. He nearly dropped the ball over his own line and Wareing crashed in a glorious ball, which had Swann beaten but hit the crossbar. It was a close escape for Swann who, at the seventeenth minute, attempted to kick away from a cluster of players, and failed surprisingly, Kirsopp throwing himself forward and scoring a goal, thus gaining the full-punishment for the blunder. McKinlay played with zeal and skill, and when his brilliant solo and pass were not taken up by a forward he must have been pained especially as the direct outcome was a runaway by the nippy Everton forwards. Kirsopp topped the crossbar. Play now became exciting and brilliant, and each side in turn looked like scoring. Goddard centred neatly, and Kirsopp beat Swann to the ground with a trimmer, and Bennett claimed that he had headed over the line. There was no doubt Mitchell caught the ball when he was close to the post. Bennett followed with a half centre half shot, which Mitchell fielded with alacrity. Four minutes from the interval Bennett scored. It was his first goal for his new club, and he can never hope to score a more satisfying goal, because it has been his ambition to play for Liverpool and score against Everton. There was a melee before Mitchell, and Pagnam and Bennett each headed against the bar ere Bennett nodded the ball over the line.

Half-time Score; Liverpool 2, Everton 1.
A Swift Summary
Excellent forwards –Wareing, gripped Pagnam. Towards the interval these two introduced us to “a little bit of fluff” Liverpool backs were strong, Everton forwards cleverer; but nothing between them on the score of shooting. Goddard a wonder.

A Sensational Resumption
Within two minutes Liverpool were granted a penalty for an offence by Wareing on Pagnam. There was much dispute over the game, and more when Metcalfe having put wide, was allowed to retake the shot, owing to an Everton forward running ahead prior to the kick being taken. At the second attempt, Mitchell made a great save, but I wonder how many of the spectators noticed a second offence, one-which his reference to the goalkeeper and his goalline.

A Change of Places
Clennell and Bradbury changed positions and Clennell, who had been quiet in the first half, was more to the fold after the change. Uppercut by Mitchell from Bennet –a wonderful save. Everton ought to have equalised when Jefferis sent across a beauty. It is worthy of note that drawn games have been very infrequent of late, and we have to go back to 1908 for the last occasion. Prior to this, however, there was a collection of drawn games between 1901-1906. Liverpool continued to play desperate football and Longsworth big lunge were very helpful. The resemblance of tempers had quienned down since the interval and it was just as well that it was so. Everton stalwarts undoubtedly were Mitchell, Thompson and Wareing. Final; Liverpool 2, Everton 1.

Metcalfe 9 minutes
Kirsopp scored or Everton after seventeen minutes
Bennett scored or Liverpool in 36 minutes
F.E.H. Comments
Sidelights Of Historic Struggle.
There have been many memorable meetings between the great local rivals. In the pristine pre-war days they frequently kept to the making of football history, and drew enormous gathering of followers of the game. But I question whether any previous contest has raised as much interest in the city. Liverpool was all the athletic world knows, have yet to meet their masters this season, and it needs to ghost from the tomb to tell us that Everton will do their utmost to repair this omission. “Pagnam” is in hailing mood today, and this is the best he can do:-

When Greek and Greek in days of old.
A tug of war was incidental
To operations, so we're told,
And other movements regimental
So, down the singing of the Spheres,
The phrase has always proved potential
The athlete feels the tug, and fears
Biscuits that may be consequential
In here less warfare on the field
Where doughty rivals the leather
The side this would no favour yield
Must take a strong pull altogether
This Liverpool with deep intent
Hope still to win –you'll put how much on?
Against the Blues –and so present
The slightest blot, on the escutcheon!
The mist of early morning still lingered round the Anfield enclosure when the players appeared before a excited and rapidly –increasing crowd of partisans The solid phalanx of civilians, who stood in sundried array, was splashed there and there with big patches of khaki, and once the contest commenced the plaudits of the “Tommie's” –either wounded or on leave –were thrilling so listen to.

There may be those who think that football should be discontinued for the period of the war. Had any such been present this afternoon, I am liberal minded enough to suggest that they would have altered their opinion. From the commencement, when the contestants were obviously scramming like greyhounds in the leash, the struggle was set in the most strenuous way, and man and muscle were seen to fine advantage. The crowd at the outset was judiciously dispassionate, but there were murmurs of approval when Liverpool began a well-contrived campaign of aggression. They forced the first corner, and Goddard who was doubtless thinking of glorious days that are long since passed, placed it admirably. Everton's keeper, aided by Thompson warded of the danger, but it was merely the staying off of a dire calamity. The Anfielders displaying the most audacious tactics in forcing the pace, speedily threatened the Everton goal, and Metcalf who would now seen to have come quite into his kingdom as a tricky and dexterous forward, had the proud distinction of drawing first blood. The great crowd rocked with cheers and counter battle cries, and was in an almost incessant din that Evertonians proceeded to pay Liverpool back in their own coin. A series onslaught always pregnant with danger, were splendidly baulked by Longsworth and Lucas, but at length they were unable to resist the rush, and Kirsopp, with characteristic neatness put his side on level terms, with the proud wearers of the red jersey. The closely-packed stands rocked with the re-echoing roars of the multitude, and the volume of sound actually drove the descending fog away. Meanwhile the Infielders strove valiantly to make good the initial lead which Metcalfe had given them. They showed quite extraordinary nippiness on the ball, and threw themselves into the breach with an apparent total disregard to limb. Pagnam curiously enough, was for a long time right out of the picture and it was left to Melcalfe to again give Everton a fright. His shot, however was intercepted, and it looked as through honours have been even at the turn, when the unbeaten ones sprung.

A Dramatic Surprise

A few moments only lay between the contestant ad half-time, Bennett in a thrilling movement put Liverpool ahead. This leading point came in the way of an added electrical touch to an atmosphere already overcharged, and as the players sought the shelter of the dressing rooms for a flew moments the spectators expressed their views of the contest in varying term –from the point phraseology of the subarea to the more, direct in ventures of the docks.

It is difficult to be precise on the matter of figures, but there was certainly well over 20,000 persons present when the struggle was continued. The Anfielders were as bloodthirsty as a marauding expedition with plenary powers, and there was wild war whoops when a claim for a penalty against Wareing was allowed. Metcalfe in his excitement took the kick before official sanction and had been given, and when, after a wordy argument the opposing ranks were again marshalled. Mitchell covered himself with glory by safely diverting the elusive leather.

December 4, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Liverpool Hold Out-Everton Surrender
The answer is Everton surrendered for the first time since the back end of September and Liverpool, the leaders of the League, hang on to a strengthened rung of the leader. Liverpool are in the enviable position of being the only undefeated club in the English tournament, the afore every team they meet is especially anxious to be first in the field with the break in the charming list of point gatherings that stand to Liverpool’s credit. It’s all very nice being at the top of the League, but the club has to make no slip, and every opposition outs forth that extra little bit which means the difference between a hard game and a very strenuous game.
Earnest and Willing
Saturday’s was one of the hardest games ever played by the sides. No one asked quarter and no one got it, and nothing was too troublesome for most of the players. Had it been a Cup Final, with medals and reception and –breaths it gently –payments for photographs, Liverpool could not have played a more desperate game. Fortunately the players did not let their real cut run their direction; and if it is true to point out that Pagnam and Wareing near the interval got at loggerheads and that there was a equal over a penalty kick, nevertheless the game was clean, and was worthy the teams that have built up a big reputation for clean “Derbies.”
Referee and Penalty
Liverpool claimed two penalty kicks, and Bennett claimed that one he got the ball over the line. What matters it now? Aye, but remember there will be discussed in the trenches today over the important game. So we must slip nothing. First, let it be said that Wareing with the best shot of the match hit the crossbar, and Swann wondered when the ball had gone to Further, Kirsopp hit the woodwork, and Bennett and Pagnam also hit the woodwork with headers. Now Referee Leach fared very well, all considered in the first big trial and although offside points were more than debatable, still the fact remains that the controlled the game quite well. As for the penalty kick against Wareing, well, the foggy atmosphere prevented a sound view, but it appeared to be for a shove that Wareing suffered. He kick was retaken by Metcalfe, who seems to be Liverpool’s mascot in the matter of goals. He doesn’t strike me of the best man for a “spot” kick, and when he screwed wide there was a groan. An Everton player must have “paced” forward for the referee instantly ordered the kick to be retaken; and then Mitchell advancing a step from his goal, made a grand save. Mitchell kept an excellent goal all day, but I beg leave to draw attention to the fact that if the referee had many eyes one of the sockets must have been riveted on the goalkeeper and would have disallowed a swift move forward, which the rules do not allow.
To my mind the man standing out above others were; Winning side, Goddard, Bennett, Wadsworth, McKinlay and the home backs; losing side, Wareing, Fleetwood, the backs and the goalkeeper. The forward line of Everton suffered severe blow when Morris could not play. Bradbury is a half-back who has tried his hand at forward, but he is willing and inexperienced; and when he and Clennell changed places there was a trifling improvement that was kept u, and the consequence was that Clennell was out of the picture and Harrison looked in vain for helping-passed. The right wing was much more balanced, but the line, all things considered was not to be compared with the practical Liverpool line, which followed up at every moment, and was swift to snap chances. Everton were too dainty. Kirsopp goal merit attention. It was scored through a superhuman effort by the winger, but Swann (Manchester United’s goalkeeper came to Liverpool’s help) was to blame for not clearing first time. The winner goals were scored by Metcalfe and Bennett. The former had to thank Bennett for the opening point and Bennett in that move alone justified the good things said about him. He was desperately keen on playing against Everton, a side that he once was booked for, and the goal was relished by the scorer and his colleagues have you noticed the intertwining of Wadsworth, Mckinlay ad Lucas? It’s worth your special eye. Wadsworth by playing alongside McKinley has picked up a great deal of useful football wares and his play has come on surprisingly well. And Lucas by association with Longsworth has come to know certain things that are invaluable to a young back. Longsworth and Luca were grand backs, and like the half-backs line, were a trifle better than Everton’s corresponding line. I don’t think Smith of West Brom, has played a better game since he joined Everton; and it would seem that the Albion man has a habit of rising to occasions –a habit with Albion players.
The players deserve our thanks for giving us keen ad clean enjoyment and for providing recreation suitable and sensible. The crowd of probably 23,000 spectators was the best of the season, and it was quite like pre-war days to hear “The Partisanship Stakes” form being discussed. Bee.

December 4, 1916. The Evening Express
A Brilliant Struggle.
(By the Judge).
The great struggle has come and gone, and the first reflection is that the most ungenerously-minded critic of the policy of “carrying-n” as usual in the war time, so far as the winter game is concerned, would have found points in Saturday’s proceedings at Anfield to justily contingence. As to the game, there is little to add beyond the descriptions already served up, except to mention formally that Liverpool gamed a handsome victory of two goals to one –all the points accruing in the first half –and that the excitement of the battle was maintained without =break to the end. There were many sparkling incidents and among the players the sterling masterly work of Wadsworth stands out preeminent. He played one of the games of his life, and besides being the imitator of a splendid goal, he worried the opposing forwards and broke up their cohesion time after time. Liverpool were finely served by their defenders Goddard was the star of the forward rank, with Bennett a worth partner.
The Evertonians.
As a whole the Everton forwards were the more scientific by comparison, but they found formidable foes in the home defenders, whose resolution and activity never faltered. Wareing was a conspicuous figure, and he completely reduced Pagnam to a quipercent-quantily, and shadowed him relentlessly and successfully. Mitchell was excellent in goal, and, like his rival, had the support of two fine backs. Fleetwood was always strong in all he did, and Harrison and Kirsopp were the pick of the forwards. Bradbury who at the last moment deputised for Morris was willing, but he had no chance with Wadsworth, who looked well after both him and Clennell. In every respect it was a great game, and it only remains to compliment the whole of the players on the spirit in which it was fought out.

December 5, 1916. Derby Daily Telegraph
Mr. Official And County Cricketer
The death occurred at his residence at Heston Moor, Manchester, of Mr. Thomas Evans, district goods manager for the Manchester and Liverpool districts of the Midland Railway Company, in his 65 th year. The decreased was born at Stoneyford, Derbyshire, in June, 1852, and entered the service of the Midland Railway at Chesterfield in December, 1866. In July, 1874, he became chief clerk there, and in the following year was transferred to Liverpool as accounts clerk, going up the ladder until in 1889 he became chief clerk. In April, 1893 he was appointed goods agent at Leicester, and when in January, 1903, the company inaugurated its decentralization scheme he was made district goods manager for the Leicester district. In Aug, 1906, he was appointed district goods manager at Liverpool, and in January, 1909, was also appointed district goods manager at Manchester, the two districts being then amalgainated. The deceased had latterly not enjoyed good health, and only as recently as July last was sorely stricken by the death in action of his youngest son, Lieut James Bonsall Evans. Mr. Evans was the last surviving district goods manager in office of those appointed in the 1903 decentralization. Mr. Evans, like his brother, Mr. Henry Evans, chief goods manager, was, in his early days a well known figure in the world of sport in the Liverpool and Leicester districts. He played cricket for Everton (the old club), Fairfield, Midland, and Sefton clubs, and also occasionally assisted Garton, of which club he was practically the founder. He belonged to the Everton Football Club from its inception and on several occasions played full back for them. Like his brother, Mr. Evans was an excellent medium paced bowler. He had not command of all the artifices which made his brother so deadly in attack and which, if constantly cultivated, would have given him an assured place amongst the greatest cricketers of all time. He was, however, a very cricketer, and proof of his ability was forthcoming on the few occasions on which he found it possible to play for Derbyshire. Against the M.C.C. at Derby, in 1883 he made 35 out of 121, and secured a couple of wickets in a low-scoring match. He also made 29 and 14 in the same season against Sussex at Derby and took one wicket. While always taking his share in games it has been written of him that he never neglected his business and often had to forego a pleasure for the sake of duty. It may be added that Mr. Evans took a great interest in Freemasonry, and was a prominent member of the craft. One of his sons was killed in France during the summer.

Liverpool Echo - Tuesday 05 December 1916
Everton have selected the following team to meet Stockport County on Saturday;-  Mitchell; Thompson and Maconnachie; Fleetwood, Wareirig, and Grenyer; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, and Harrison. Macconachie, it is stated, is certain to play.

December 8, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Walton will see a warm side. Stockport County, the team which have made fewer changes than any other club, and are controlled by shrewed Davie Ashorth, will take a lot of stopping. They are always on their best behaviour when pitted against Everton, and Fayers and our former players, Ernest Gault and T. Nuttall, will be anxious to “rub it in,” as in the wont of players who play against old friends. The half-back standard should be of the highest. Everton’s line we know. Then there are the two Waterall’s and Fayers lining up for Stockport –this means that Everton’s forwards will have to bestir themselves if they desire to beat the old Sunderland keeper Butler. Everton play MaConnachie, who has been playing a fair amount of Army football –he is in the Flying Corp –and John will receive a hearty welcome from his old friends in the dressing room and from the large crowd that will “line the line.”
Everton; Mitchell; MaConnachie, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell, Harrison. Stockport County; Butler; Goodwin, Robson; A. Waterall, Fayers, T. Waterall; Crossthwaite, Rodgers, Gault, Nuttall, Evans, Gault.

December 9, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
Stockport’s Visit
Bee’s Comments and Chat on Match
Everton had a bright attraction today, and therefore it was a pity the weather broke down and ruined a capital attendance. Fortunately Everton’s stand accommodation is tremendous and the people buddle out of the rain, and the gate would probably reach 5,000. The team sheets were very interesting. Everton, from the side which lost its first game for eight weeks –that against Liverpool last week –made one change, MaConnachie of the Royal Flying Corps, making his first appearance of the season, with his old club. Stockport by reason of their playing Gault, Nuttall, Fayers and Co, were an attractive set of visitors, and a keen game was promised when the following men lined up:- Everton;- Mitchell, goal; MaConnachie and Thompson (captain), backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Jefferis, Kirsopp, Morris, Clennell and Harrison, forwards. Stockport County;- Molyneux, goal; Goodwin and Robson, backs; A. Waterall, Fayers, Graham, half-backs; Crosswaithe, Rodgers, Gault, Nuttall, and T. Waterall, forwards. The ground escaped the mist. Stockport won the toss, and proceedings were very snappy. Mr. A. Pillowe was referee, and one its official linesman failed to turn up. MaCoonachie was to the fore with a big punt and a number of well judged and neat headers. The leggy Everton half-backs did a lot of sound work, and were ably backed up by Thompson, who, however, was not able to prevent the wonderful shot by Gault. It was a surprise shot, and its pace nearly knocked over the agile Mitchell, who deserved commendation for being on the quivive and preventing a goal. Stockport had the better of matters for a time; thanks to Fayers, Gault and Rodgers and if the last name’s create had been taken with a reasonable amount of judgement by T. Waterall, Stockport would have been one up. It was a bad miss and T. Waterall at once set out to redeem himself. He succeeded in so doing at the 9th minute when he put the slippery ball across the goal mouth and forced Mitchell to advance two yards out. The Everton’s keeper did well to push the ball out; but Gault edging towards the left, scored with a hook shot, the ball passing into an empty goal. The best replay from Everton was a shot by Jefferis, Molyneux affecting a good save. A fine dribbling solo by Kirsopp, and a shot from Grenyer that was inches too high showed that Everton were keen on getting an equaliser, but Fayer and the backs were very stout. In fact, the pivot of the team seemed to relish the sticky going. After there had been a slight stoppage through Clennell receiving a kick on the knee, Grenyer put plenty of pace into a shot which served wide, and Morris was also out of range. Admitting the ball was awkward to hit. Everton were very lenient to Molyneux, and Clennell caught the disease, firing high over after Jeffeis had returned the ball to him nicely. To try and improve matters Fleetwood rambled forward and was trapped when about to make a gift goal for one of his forwards. Towards half-time Everton improved a bit, and more import still, they found their shooting boots. Harrison making a telling drive of power and accuracy, Molyneux affecting an electric save. Shooter and saves were loudly applauded, and after Wareing had “put to hand” these was a curious contretemps between MaConnachie and Crosswaithe. Each player hesitated and finally Crosswaite imagined MaConnachie butted him. The winger swung on MaConnachie’s neck. Half-time was sounded at this point;
Half-time score; Stockport 1, Everton 0.
Fayers, Rodgers and the backs had been the shinning lights of the visitors and on the home side Harrison, the backs and Mitchell had been best. There was a rousing resumption in which Morris received a rather nasty kick. Gault with a swinging shot, made Mitchell hand out, and a succession of corner kicks forced them ever back to their goal. In one case Fayers was near heading a point, Mitchell’s safe method being praiseworthy. Then Molyneux threw himself at Harrison’s low shot and when Morris went for the rebound, he had to take the ball in his stride. There was spin on the ball, the result being that icy curled wide. Harrison was doing a lot of shooting and he came again with one of his specialities –fast and low –a corner being the result. Everton were a vastly improved team now, and ran Stockport off their feet. It was miraculous how the ball missed the net. Kirsopp dashed in with a header which tipped the top of the bar –a really brilliant effort and deserving a goal –and Morris went next with a fast one, and finished with a shot so hard that saving it Molyneux badly ricked his shoulder.
Interest In Liverpool.
Interest in the Liverpool Football Club was shown by the applause which greeted the announcement of the Anfielders lead at Rochdale. Final Stockport 1, Everton 0.

December 11, 1916. The Evening Express
(By the Judge).
Everton’s reverse was the outcome of a contest of which the feature was the defensive work of the two opponents, and Stockport in this direction certainly put up as keen and determined a show as any team that has visited us this campaign. They were served by two splendidly vigorous backs, whose tracking was strong and whose kicking was at all times clear and well directed. Likewise in the performance of their half-backs they were assisted admirably in keeping their goal intact and Molyneux in goal in course of his second half work accomplished the save of the day. Thus was it that owing in their work in the rearguard the County was able to emergic scathes and victorious. MaConnachie’s return thanks to his being on week-end leave, was emphatically successful. He had more to do than his captain, and he did it flawlessly, some of his touches being models of neatness. Thompson was always on hand when wanted, and Mitchell quite reliable. Harrison was the best forward on the field. Morris, too played a sound enterprising game, but that defence of Stockport’s always had the last word –and that last word prevailed.

December 11, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
One surprise was seen at Everton ground, where we saw a linesman smoking during the game! He was a deputy for someone who had missed a train or had caught –a cold. The deputy seemed familiar with my memory and I fancy I know no heartier Evertonian. His rulings were good –and empathic sometimes! Here’s hoping he will get a run “down the middle” in the near future.
Swinging the Ball About.
Everton lost because they did not open the game. There was need for some long passing as variation to the intertwining that went on. Everton rarely altered their game, and they fell in a trap, when set to Fayers (a mud plugger) and his fellow half backs. Behind Fayers were two strapping backs who, in the first half played a storming game –as did MaConnachie and Thompson –and each goalkeeper made good saves, one by Molyneux putting out the goalkeeper’s shoulder. Harrison was Everton’s best forward, and while Morris played his untiring game, he failed again to distribute the ball. The half-backs joined in the shooting, but none were as deadly as Harrison. Stockport have a keen working side, and with Rodgers among the forwards there is always chance of combination. Gault did not play quite well as formerly neither did Nuttall, but the line as comparison to Everton’s was quite good, and went the nearest way to goal. Considering the state of the turf the game was excellent and considering the weather outlook all day the attendance was capital.

Liverpool Echo - Tuesday 12 December 1916
Everton have chosen the following team to meet Bury at Goodison Park on Saturday:— Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer;  Lloyd, Kirsopp, Blair, Clennell, and Harrison.

December 13, 1916. The Evening Express
(By the Judge).
Blair, the new centre forward to whom Everton are giving a tried on Saturday, is a young local amateur attached to Liverpool Colleage, and who gave an excellent account of himself with the “A” team at Ormskirt on Saturday last. Mr. Cuff informs me that he will be pleased to arrange for the “A” team to play any local organisation who would like to meet then –a sporting ad encouraging offer which should be readily appreciated.

Everton make changes
December 13, 1916, The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
As stated last night, Everton have made changes for the next home match with Bury. Smith come back to partner Thompson and while the half back line remains intact, the forward line brings to us a new name “Blair” played for Everton “A” against the Remount Depot at Latbom Park last week, and scored three goals. He is a Liverpool College boy, aged seventeen ad that he scored three goals shows he knows the whereabouts of the goal. Everton yesterday, Mr. Cuff will be glad to arrange matches with the “A” team and local side. Lloyd has a trial.
From Deutschland
No 2467 (Sergeant L. Lloyd) of the 1.8 (Irish) King’s (Liverpool 4 Company, 9 Section), Nurnberg, Bayern, Deutschland. He is a former Lancashire footballer ad writes me this;- your kind letter to hand, and I can assure you the boys who delighted to know a ball is on its way, and it will be fine to pass many a dreary hour. And I will be sure to write to your correspondent, for same. I know my last letter was published in your paper for I received several letters again asking about relatives. Two letters I have had thanking me for information; in fact she got my letter saying that he was a prisoner before she heard from him. I will be pleased to hand that letter to you when I come home. She highly appreciates your paper for putting her in the way of getting the information. I will let you know immediately when any local men come here which I am sure will be helpful to relatives. I am also getting you several photos which will be very interesting.

December 15, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton are out for a resumption of victories tomorrow, and the reappearance of Lloyd and the first appearance of home of the young lad, Blair, will cause many supporters to be on the spot to time. There is nothing more fascinating to a football follower than studying a newcomer. Blair is quite young, remember ye critic. Don’t spoil him with sickly adulation and give him a chance to settle among the seniors. Everton; Mitchell; Thompson, Smith; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Lloyd, Kirsopp, Blair, Clennell, Harrison. Bury; Johnston; Weir, Chorlton; Malone, Humphries, Culshaw; Conner, Mitton, Crosley, Lythgoe, Edwards.

December 16, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
Bee’s Special
Everton introduced us today to a new centre forward –Blair, who played for their “A” team last week and scored three goals. Another youngster was played, Lloyd, the ex Newcastle United player, having been granted a further trial. Smith came back to the “back” position and Everton looked for victory, for Bury have been hard pressed to fill their ranks.
Team Formation
Mr. W. Chadwick, brother of Edgar, the old player and coach, refereed this following sides; Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Smith (West Brom), backs; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-Backs; Lloyd, Jeffeirs, Blair, Clennell and Harrison, forwards. Bury; Bromilow (Everton), goal; Weir and Chorlton, backs; Malone, Humphreys, ad Culshaw, half-backs; Connor, Lymer, (Blackpool) Fernley, Lance-Johnson, and Lesler, forwards. At 2.30 the fog was very thick, and only two Bury players had turned up. The crowd was white-coated, and was not at all bad from the fog point of view. Play was just possible. Bury arrived in patches, and the full team was obtained by 3.5. they came via Manchester, and as a result of their late arrival play was bound to be curtailed and would probably cover altogether a matter of forty minutes. Some enthusiasts waited outside the ground till Bury arrived, and then helped to make a crowd of probably 2,000 spectators. On the meantime Kirsopp had gone home through a sore throat and Jefferis had come into the side. Bromilow the Everton “A” goalkeeper, who had his first game of the season last week, helped Bury, and Lymer, of Blackpool and Bradbury of Everton, came on the assistance of the visitors.
A Belated Start
The game started at 3.15. Bury having won the toss. Thompson was knocked out in the first minute through a collision. Bradford, of Everton did not turn out after all. Lesler came on the field a few minutes after the game started. The only point of note that could be seen for a few minutes was a wide centre by Lymer and some tricky work by Clennel. In ten minutes there was a goal. Blair scored.
A Very Popular Goal
The onlookers in the sixpenny portion had quite a good view of the game, but the view of those in the stands was hopeless.
Half-time (Thirty Minutes); Everton 1, Bury 0
Everton enjoyed the bulk of the attack and Greyer seemed to show very good form. Malone hurt his head through a collision with Harrison, who was responsible for a number of swinging centres. Mitchell had nothing to do in the first half, and when the interval was taken the crowd, in a body marched towards the Stanley Park goal, the anticipating that Everton would have 90 per cent of the play. They were good judges. Everton scored a second goal five minutes after the resumption, but who the scorer was it is hard to say. “From information received” the best shot of the match had hit the crossbar, Clennell being the shooter. Blair is appeared, was responsible for the second goal. The newcomer had thus started very well, his bag being five goals in two matches. Everton scored again in 40 minutes
Goal Scores;
Blair scored for Everton after ten minutes
Blair scored a second for Everton
Jefferis was the scorer of the third goal.

December 18, 1916. Evening Express
By the Judge
Bury had a rough experience at Goodison Park, they were losers of a curtailed game by five goals to nothing. They had a great amount of difficulty in getting a complete side together, and the home club had in the end to come to their assistance, Bromilow appearing in goal. Our of the home goals were scored in the second half, and the most noticeable feature of the contest –if contest it can be called –was the fact that the young Liverpool Colleague centre, Blair secured two of them, and thus brought his goal record in the two games in which he has take part up to a quintets. Blair promises to develop into a most useful acquisition, and as the season proceeds, he still probably be found that he and not the only junior to whom the Blues directorates will give good chances. That is about all there is to say about the proceedings.

December 15, 1916, The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes.
I learn that some four thousand spectators saw a good exhibition on a difficult ground at Everton. Whether it was a good game, I cannot say, for a view from the elevated Press-box was impossible. There was plenty of thought-reading among the Press members, and there were plenty of “visions about”. Everton won 5-0 rumours haft it, and the goals scorers were Blair (2), Clennell (2) and Jefferis.
Out of Work
Perhaps Mitchell could offer his views on the game. The Everton goalkeeper certainly never had a more thankless job. He peered into the mist to try, and find something to interest him, but there was a milky whiteness about the ground that gave him no relief from his monotonous sentinel work. He hadn’t a shot to stop, I believe and Everton could have gone through the game without a goalkeeper! Bury, had Bromilow, the Everton “A” man, to aid then in their difficulties, and it was said that Morris and Bradbury were also offered. However, Bury probably thought they had sufficient “local” talent in their side as it was, and Morris and Bradbury did not play.
First, then, Bury played Leiser, a Kirkdale youth, who was given a trial. Next there was Lance Johnston, looking much stronger than I have seen him since the unfortunate day when he assisted Everton at Manchester and broke his leg. They arrived very late, and with the help of a vigilant referee and the opposition side the match of an hour was played. A tribute to the hold football has on the public was found in the attendance at the start. Considerably over 2,000 spectators ignored the signpost outside –they bear the statement that spectators take the risk of a game being abandoned through the weather –and players and all concerned merit praise for giving the public the sight of a game. “Upstairs” it was impossible to see, but the spectators of the sixpenny portion had a capital view. It only remains to be added that Clennell drove a splendid shot against the woodwork, and that Blair by scoring twice, has already earned extensive trials. He is a son of Councillor Blair, and at the Liverpool College last shown capital form. My advice to the boys is; Steady on there; Keep your head Always recognise that you can “Keep on learning.”

December 23, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
F.E.H’s Special of Visit to Stoke
In spite of the Christmastide congestion of traffic, the Everton players made a speedy journey to Stoke, reaching the Pottery town a few minutes before noon. We found the district enveloped in a fine sort of drizzle snow falling from a dreary, leaden sky. Much of it, however speedily melted and the turf at the Victoria ground had only a comparatively sinall layer when the time of commencing operations arrived. Nevertheless the outlook was dreary to a degree and there was little promise of either good or exhilarating play on a slippery and slushy surfaces. Everton turned out as selected, except that Grenyer was an enforced absentee, and his place was taken by Bradbury. Stoke had several eleventh hour changes. There was not more than a handful of spectators present when the antagonists lined out, ten minutes late, as follows;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith (West Brom) and Thompson (captain), backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Bradbury, half-backs; Lloyd, Jefferis, Blair, Clennell, and Harrison, forwards. Stoke; Herron, goal; Allmann and G. Turner, backs; Jones, Parker and Dobson, half-backs; Watkin, Herbert, Howell, Bridgett, and Turner, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.T. Howcroft. Snow was still falling slightly when Stoke started against the slight wind. They at once made tracks for Mitchell’s charge, and following a melee in front of Goal, Bridgett headed in strongly, but the Everton keeper gathered the ball and throw clear. The visitors at once took up the running, and getting over the treacherous surface in very smart fashion, they had worked the ball to within a few yards of Herron’s charge when Blair, in his anxiety missed an open goal. A spell of midfield work of a rather desultory character followed and then Harrison tried to get off on his own account, but he slipped in the shush and rolled into touch. For some time after the Stoke exerted pressure, and Howell got in a chance shot which went wide. Still the home forwards kept pegging away with dogged persistence and Thompson was once in such straits that he had to concede a corner. This was safely negotiated but the Stoke vanguard immediately returned to the attack. The leather was swinging nicely across the right, and Turner shot strongly, but Smith stopped its flight. At length Everton roused themselves and made play on the right. Lloyd and Jefferis got down by easy stages and the movement promised well when Parker nipped in and cleared. After some open play, in which neither side gained any marked advantage Everton made progress on the left, and Clennell had a chance of getting through when Allman barred his pass. The visitors however were beginning to assert themselves and Blair was sailing clean through when he was deliberately tripped. The free kick proved of no advantage and it was not long before the Potters were again on the warpath. The left wing initiated the movement, and Bridgett closing in, sent the ball just wide of the mark. Everton replied in strenuous fashion, but their finishing touches were very weak, and a long shot from Blair rolled harmlessly over the line. The visitors next advance was on the left where a corner was forced, but this was badly placed, and the next item of interest was a break away by Watkin ad Herbert, the latter finally over-running the ball. A long lobbing shot from Clennell set the Everton line going again and Jefferis giving the ball to Blair, the latter, after steadying himself shot just wide of the mark. The visitors were at this period enjoying much the better part of the argument, and they frequently floundered on the treacherous ground, just as they were about to apply the critical touch. Owing to these attempts to score by the three inside men, all went astray and then Clennell had the ill-luck to head the ball against the crossbar when he was practically unmarked. After a time Stoke resumed the aggressive and Turner had a clear run through, but he finished and there was a further spell of give and take work in the neighbourhood of the centre line. Towards the interval Everton again stirred themselves, and there was some interesting work on the left wing. The leather was then sent right across to Lloyd, when he shot across the goalmouth –a capital effort through an unprofitable one.
Half-time; Stoke 0, Everton 0.
Considering the arctic conditions the first half had proved fairly interesting, though by no stretch of imagination could it be described as exciting. Neither team could do themselves justice, on such a surface. The Stoke forwards were much more vigorous in their onslaught than were their opponents, but Everton, when they did get going showed much cleverer footwork. Blair, apart from his initial mistake, did fairly well, and Clennell was distinctly unfortunate in not getting one in.
The Second Half
There were a few more onlookers present when play was resumed, and Everton were the first to advance. Making ground first on the left, and then on the right both Allman and Turner were in find fettle, and they kept the invader back. Nevertheless the wearers of the blue jersey persisted and after Blair had another fruitless attempt, Harrison struck the side of the net with a characteristic spot. Then followed a sustained attack on the part of the visitors, and it was only the wretched state of the playing pitch that prevented them from getting through. Once Blair tried a long dropping shot which nearly beat Herron and a little later Clennell sent in a beauty, which was very cleverly diverted. At length the persistence of the Evertonians mat with it due reward for Clennell came through and score at short range. A little later Blair was fouled, and Clennell taking the free kick, scored a second goal. Final; Stoke 0, Everton 2
Clennell scored from short range for Everton
Clennell from a free kick, scored the second for Everton

December 26, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Fleetwood (right half back, of Everton), scored the only goal of the match at Goodison Park, when some 17,000 spectators were treated to an interesting if not thrilling contest. One has become used to connecting really brilliant games with the meeting of the local rivals, and the result is that yesterday’s game does not go to history with the games the Liverpool clubs have in the past been associated. Nevertheless these were plenty to comment upon and talk about, and consideration must be made for the state of the ground –sticky- and the changing necessary in the team sheets. Everton had to place their youngest member, Blair t outside let in place of Harrison, and as Dunn did not turn up Stuart played. Liverpool too, were in a quandary Cunliffe’s train from Manchester being late, Donnachie, ex-Everton and Oldham was present and played in his place, while Henderson filled the outside right berth. In goal there were two players –first half Kenneth Campbell, who although ill decided to “risk it”; and in the second half the ever willing James Ashcrofts turned out. Everton had some good forwards, a good half back line and a sturdy defence, Liverpool had a grand half backs, and moderate forwards. No wonder, therefore, that goalkeeper had an easy passage. True Jefferis, Clennell, and Parker, in the first half each made a telling shot, Campbell showing clean methods in disposing of the shots. True, also, that Bennnett was ever-dangerous and Donnachie was without superior in “heady” and practically play. The fact remains, however, that the forward work on the whole was poor and was easily controlled. Thompson and Wareing did big work in preventing Bennett from scoring, and Blair’s centre-kicks were worthy of special note. Against that side must erected place=kicking by Henderson (who, however, was early on knocked on the leg) and Lloyd’s weakness,. Not until Lucas had left the field through injury did Everton gain their goal. Fleetwood usually initiators more forward with a series of zigzags dribbles and feints but this time verging towards centre and peering the inside left position, he let fly with a glorious low shot giving Ashcroft no chance. Parker, who was home on leave, led the Everton attack and nothing further needed be stated of the game, save that Longsworth, Lucas, and McKinlay, were expert in defence and many times helpful in forming an attack result; Everton 1 goal, Liverpool nil.
Teams; referee; Mr. Forshaw (Birkenhead); Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson and Stuart, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Llody, Jefferis, Parker, Clennell, and Blair, forwards. Liverpool; Campbell and Ashcroft, goal; Longsworth, Lucas, backs; Bamber, Wadsworth and McKinlay, half-backs; Donnachie, Metcalfe, Bennett, Bradley, and Henderson, forwards.

December 26, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
News reaches me today that Sam Chedgzoys, the Everton winger, who has since joining the Guards, been helping West Ham and doing them great services, he came home this week –end and is likely to assist Everton in their end-of-year and New Year matches. This is indeed good news, for Everton’s supporters. Chedgzoy has twice been announced as likely to play but has been unable, and the present note re his appearances can be taken as practically certain of accomplishment.
• Southport who play Liverpool today have ex-Everton men in Rigsby and Sheldon, Dorward, J.H. Wright.

December 29, 1916. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
The promise is healthy. After what we saw at Anfield we are certain, Southport will give Everton a hard game. the visitors side is attractive throughout, but in no more patient cases than in the persons of Abrams, “Dossey” Wright, Goalkeeper Wright, tricky Caulified and the oncoming youth George Schofield, son of a famous cyclist. Everton, too, are very strongly represented and Sam Chedgzoy, who is making his first bow to us since joining the Guards, will have a great reception, for there is no cleaner and more popular player. Teams; Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Blair, Clennell, Peet. Southport; Wright; Dorward, J.H. Wright; Rigby, Fay, Abrams; Merrier, Cauldfield, Scringfellows, Rigsby, G. Schofield.
• Everton v. Southport C-At Goodison Park, tomorrow, 2-30. Adm 7d (Stands Extra).

December 30, 1916. The Liverpool Football Echo
Greeting to Chedgzoy
Everton today had a hot side to face in Southport Central who had given Liverpool football spectators a taste of their quality at Anfield on Tuesday last. Everton had a strong side for the occasion the most notable point of it being the first appearance of Sam Chedzgoy of the Scots Guards, who had more than once been announced as likely to assist his old side, but until today had not been able to do so. West Ham therefore, having a big blank at outside right. A surprise packet was the eleventh hour change by which MaConnachie came in. The match was blessed with good weather, and the attendance was very good.
Among the “appears” in local circles one now includes Harrison and Jefferis the Everton forwards. Here’s a good luck to each man! Both have saved there club admirably, and as clean clever player players have made a host of friends. Teams refereed by Mr. J.H. Alderson;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith (West Brom) and MaConnachie, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Chedgzoy, Jefferis, Blair, Clennell, and Peet, forwards. Southport; Wright, goal; Dorward and J.H. Wright, backs; Rigsby, Stringfellow, and Abrams, half-backs; Hooper, Caulfield, Sheldon, Rigsby and G. Schofield, forwards. Everton won the toss, and for a time monoalised the play and when Blair slipped up, and later when Clennell headed to goal and Wright did not clear at the first chance, they seriously troubled the Southport defence. The value of Chedgzoy’s work was felt immediately the judgement in regard to pace and time being of the highest class. Through his centres Clennell had two chances. First Clennell headed to goal, and next he hooked the ball slightly wide. A third time did the shareholders gave on to the ball, and the time he failed to hit it true, the ball shot looking the pace and direction one generally associate with the name Clennell. Clennell was not satisfied with his performance and struggled for a goal. He shot on the occasion, when he was out of balance
Southport Game to Life
At the moment and after Schofield had been mastered by the old-head (Fleetwood), Hooper came through on his own, and made a rasping shot, which pulled across the goalmouth. The Everton defence was pushed to extreme measures to prevent a goal. Hooper, Sheldon, and Rigsby were concerned in an attack when ended with a balloon shot by Rigsby who is generally deadly with his first time shots. Fleetwood got a nasty knock, and no doubt Harry Makepeace who was an onlooker was glad he was not playing when that bump was delivered. Chedgzoy was out of work for a time, and when he came into the limelight again he was very strong and straight with his shots. Fast, for a newcomer was cute, but of the little fellows of the day more showed that resource of Caulifield. Clennell realised his ambition after twenty eight minutes. He saw half a chance and although he was at long range from the goal he tried a low shot immediately before being sandwiched by the full backs. Wright was late getting down to his left and the ball just beat him. Encouraged Everton showed more directions in shooting and Chedgzoy was unlucky with one shot, and the next moment forced Wright to make a topping save. When the second half started Schofield had a nice chance, but had apparently not settled

December 1916