Everton Independent Research Data


December 1, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
By “Vin”
Everton had a player named Harry Reay, who was injured whilst in their services and this, I fancy closed his football career. He ultimately joined the Sunderland Police Force, and so far as I know is still there. Subsequently “Liverpoolians” heads up with the following to “Bee.”
“I must thank you and “Vin” for the trouble you have taken to Reay playing in the first Everton, Liverpool match I saw satisfied that I was mistaken but you will remember I said I was writing from memory. Now I can add a little more, and although I am again writing from memory I will this time state I am certain of my faces. “The player was named Harry Reay. He was a heavily built outside right. He played for Everton up till a year or two later than estimated by “J.C.” He was one of the numerous good players who were crashed out to Everton’s first team about the Billy Williams, Joe Scholfield and Joey Murray and my own period. Reay’s last appearance for Everton’s first team was against Liverpool at Goodison Park when he met big Duncan McLean by design –so the opinion went at the time. He was injured and retired from the field and later from the district playing in the following season for Southampton. About that time Everton met Liverpool in a Lancashire Cup tie. Perhaps that was the match referred to Everton win 1-0, Milward beating McQueen, who played a marvelous game in goal that day.

December 1, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
John Houston, M.M.
Bee’s Special on Bury’s Visit
The “Football Echo” is first in the field in England to announce the honour that has been bestowed upon Johnnie Houston, the Everton winger. Houston has been awarded a Military Medal for conspicuous bravely. This is the story of his work which led to his “notification.”
7574 Sergeant J. Houston, Royal Irish Rifles for bravery in the field. During an attack on the enemy’s lines all the officers were put out of action and Sergeant Houston took command of his platoon. He led the attack in face of a murderous fire, advance 100 yards and succeeded in taking and holding the objective for 36 hours until relief arrived. Hearty congratulation to Houston and all good wishes.
When first tried by Everton, Houston appeared at centre, and reveled on a tough game –I think it was a “Derby” game –but wings play was his desire outside right being the berth. For his size Houston was endowed with unusual pluck.
The Game
Everton against Bury today had a very strong side out, and Bury were not able to call in the help of Rochdale’s members. Goodison Park was moderately attended considering the early kick-off. Teams; Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell and Donnachie, forwards. Bury; Cornthwaite, goal; Thompson and Chorlton, backs; Culshaw, Groves and Yarwood, half-backs; Hallsworth, Hewitt, Lythgoe, Wright, and Mitchell, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Baker (Crewe).
The start was a quarter-of-a-hour late and the crowd was small and not too enthusiastic, until Gault engineered a corner which led to a goal. The time was six minutes and the method of making the goal was as follows:- Gault trickily forced a corner he might have centred but being placed at a great angle he elected to make a place-kick for Donnachie whose corner kicks are always a potent danger.
Clennell’s Nod.
Clennell indeed the goal, and this redeemed himself at once for his absence from last week’s collection of five goals. Everton were valued for their opening goal, because they had played good stuff. Clennell had deluded the opposition with long passes and a close dribble, and although Murray was wasting a centre or two, there was no mistaking the class of the Everton team. Watching was particularly noticeable. He pulled the ball hard and true when half-facing his own goal, and with long shot and wise pass, his work was of inestimable value. However, his greatest work was to fall back into the goalmouth and block the way of Hewitt who was well placed. At sixteen minutes Clennell chalked up No 2. It was an old-fashioned sort of goal, made from end to end by the scorer, who dribbled past four men, fell down, changed his course of action, and finally ran home a bonny shot. Six minutes later Jefferis turned to his right, and Wareing let fly. The goalkeeper did not see the ball until it was on him, and therefore it was not surprising that the ball slipped through his hands when it reached the goal area.
Free Scoring
But Bury were not taking this lying down, and they strongly contested that Mitchell was over the line when, mishandling a centre, he kicked the ball away with his out-stretched leg. However, Bury were not without reward, Everton’s Mitchell again faltering and Bury’s Mitchell netting the ball thereby. There was a glut of goals, and one of them came in a very curious manner, Gault being foiled in the penalty area and scoring immediately after he was down. Of course, the penalty kick had to be taken and Clennell made no error with it. Up to this point Gault had done a lot of good work without any semblance of luck. Half-time; Everton 4, Bury 1.
Lythgoe, an old warrior, was the mainspring of all Bury’s attacks, but once the inside left, Wright made an excellent try, which had a better successor when Lythgoe career’s away on his own.
A Brilliant Solo
It was a brilliant solo in which he outpaced Thompson; unfortunate the scheme was ruined by the left imparted to the shot by the visiting centre. Wareing was not content with a goal from a long shot eight minutes after the interval and keeping the ball low he tested the goalkeeper again and again. Bury held up manfully, and while their goalkeeper fielded long shots with safety, he was troubled by seven shots that came low. A matter stroke, one of many shown by Jefferis let Murray for a centre which foozled by the Bury defence. Clennell actually finished off the work but I think Murray’s centre had taken effect are Clennell arrived. There was no mistaking the effect of the great trinity;- Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer –on the game. Clennell netted with terrific force one of Donnachie’s corner kicks. It was Clennell’s fourth of the day, the eight of the match and the seventh for Everton. Final; Everton 7, Bury 1.
Clennell scored for Everton after six minutes
Clennell scored for Everton after sixteen minutes
Wareing scored for Everton, 22 minutes
Mitchell scored for Bury after 26 minutes
Clennell scored for Everton from a penalty after 30 minutes
Wareing scored for Everton in forty-eight minutes
Murray scored for Everton after fifty-five minutes
Clennell scored for Everton after 70 minutes

December 1, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Both teams opposed each other at Dingle Park under the auspices of the Lancashire Combination and both sides played a man short. The game was delayed twenty-five minutes. Playing downhill, South at once got away but Taylor was given a good chance, but was a foot wide. Everton were unable to make the least headway, with the result that Best and his backs were kept busy defending their goal. Everton were unable to make the least headway, with the result that Best and his backs were kept very busy defending their goal. Several corners fell to the home team and Best saved shots from Owen Williams, Ted Williams, and Tattum (Everton) were pinned in their own half. Numerous attempts at goal were charged down in the goalmouth, and it was fortunate for Everton that not a defender should be in the way of a fine shot from Ted Williams. It was only occasionally the Everton forwards got away, and the game for the first half hour proved uninteresting. Eventually Jones scored for the South and shortly after Ted Williams added two more goals. Welding scored a fourth goal for South Liverpool.
Half-time; South Liverpool 4, Everton Reserves 0
In the second half the South more than held their own against the wind, and Gee scored the sixth goal.

December 3, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
At times Billy Wareing, the Everton pivot, has promised to get a crop of goals, but his low shot has been baulked and his higher drive has been near, but not quite there. However on Saturday, against the Bury side, Wareing let himself go, and in defence and attack he was the star item of the day. He was more in the picture as an attacker than as a defender and his seemingly nonchalant spirit was about the result, being that he played free, good football with a dash that is not common. All the Blues played well, even if young Murray, who has fallen away somewhat waged a number of centres. Clennell, having failed at Bury, came along with four goals. Wareing scored two, and Bury’s Mitchell scored against the home Mitchell, who didn’t field the ball with the same accuracy that he has shown for many months. Gault, hindered by an injury was like Donnachie and Jefferis very cunning and reveled in close dribbling and safe passes.
Hannah and Pickering Dead
We just been received by the Burnley Football Club that William Pickering, their clever understudy to Bert Freeman has fallen in action in Mesopotamia. Pickering, who hails from Glasgow is the second player the Burnley club has lost in the war.
James Hannah, Sunderland’s most scientific forward in the days of the team of all the talents, died in Sunderland on Saturday morning after a lengthy illness. Deceased was a native of Glasgow, and helped Third Lanark to win a Scottish Cup twenty eight years ago. Recently a son of his gained the Military Medal for gallantry.
Chadwick Scores Goals for Blackpool

December 3, 1917. The Liverpool Evening Express
Everton won so easily at Bury, that when the latter came to Goodison, it was of course expected that the Blues would have a comfortable victory. And anticipations were realized. Rue, Bury did score a goal, but for nine-tenths of the game they were never in the hunt, and in the closing stages they were absolutely demoralized. The Everton forwards made rings round them, and but for some clever fielding on the part of Cornthwaite the custodian and a commendable “don’t-be-too-hard-on-em” feeling by the home eleven, double figures might easily have been recorded. The cold weather and the one-sided nature of the game made the crowd –not of the usual dimensions –glad to hear the final whistle although the match had been cut down to 40 minutes each way, and there was no interval. In view of the score, it will be sufficient to record the order of goals. Six minutes from the kick-off Clennell whipped the ball into the net from a corner and ten minutes later put on another after walking through the backs and deciding on the final destination of the leather with the utmost deliberation. In 22 minutes Wareing –who played a storming game at centre half – beat Cornthwaite with a long powerful drive. Bury had an appeal for goal disallowed but Mitchell scored their solitary point just afterwards, shooting past his namesake, and Clennell brought the goal scoring of the first half to a close when he was successful with a penalty when Gault was tripped after the latter had netted just as the whistle went for the goal. In the second half in which Bury were run off their feet during the later stages –although Lythgoe had made two fine runs earlier on – Wareing netted again as the result of clever individual work. Murray had a centre from the goal line curled under the bar by the wind, and Clennell noticed his fourth from a corner. All the Everton eleven were in good form except Murray whose passes were for so well judged as usual, but Clennell, Wareing, and Fleetwood stood out.

December 6, 1917, The Liverpool Evening Express
Everton can strengthen their own position in the table, and incidentally that of their friendly Anfield if they can put a check on the conquering career of Stoke. The latter at home are of course a powerful combination but the Blues are quietly hopeful of success, as they expect to be able to field their full team as follows; F. Mitchell; R. Thompson, W. Robinson; T. Fleetwood, W. Wareing, A. Grenyer, S. Murray, F. Jefferis, W.E. Gault, J. Clennell, and J. Donnachie.

December 3, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Edgar Chadwick’s most recent “feat” in scoring two goals for Blackpool against his former love, Burnley, was read with great interest on Merseyside. Chadwick thus ranks as the League’s only “life” member for he came to Everton from Blackburn Rovers (after first assisting Olympic) in 1888 –the year the League was formed. Fancy that –over 29 years ago.
Here is a small thumb-nail play-sketch of him as written in 1898;-
“Has fine discrimination, dribbles to perfection, and is a brilliant shot from the most difficult positions.”
That was written nineteen years ago, and his consistency was so tremendous that his great worth paled a rifle in the eyes of certain among his audience, with the result that he was allowed to migrate –Burnley for 1899-1900. In b view of his Saturday’s seaside scoring successes however, it is interesting to note that Chadwick was identified with Blackpool F.C a dozen years ago. Sandwiched between his Burnley, Southampton, and Blackpool service it is worth noting that Chadwick helped a certain club named Liverpool in 1902-03 and 1903-04. In the former of these he had quite a good time as partner to that other Blackpool expert Jack Cox, and at one period operated in 27 consecutive engagements –not a bad run for a men in his 34th year. In 1903-04 however, both Liverpool and Chadwick fell on leaner days. That was the year when the Southern tempter came and lured a notable trio away to Portsmouth- Glover, Goldie and Raybould. With regard to Chadwick he was tried in fourteen echo-luto fixtures that season without once getting a “bull” and finally dropped out of the team to make room for Joe Hewitt.
It is interesting to note that after leaving Everton at the close of 1898-9 season, Chadwick proved quite a success at Burnley, where he often figured at centre forward in 1899-1900 and had at least one hat-trick performance to his credit.
Johnny Houston success as a Military Medalist has given much pleasure locally. Yet it was not unexpected, being rather typical of the man, who was much angled after before being finally landed on the Everton upper deck. As stated in last week’s “Echo” Houston made his debut in English League football at centre-forward –not his best position either. But what a trying debut. It was in none other than a local “Derby” fight v. Liverpool, the which yielded a then local record League attendance of over 45,000 at Goodison, with taking reaching £1,500. Everton’s team selection for that particular match had fairly set the grumblers tongues’ swagging. First Holbem on the strength of a useful early-season display at Anfield, was chosen as Maconnachie partner in preference to Stevenson. Whilst Browell was named from centre to inside left, vice Bradshaw, to make room for Houston. The latter put up quite a plucky game against Peake, but Holbem proved no match for Parkinson, who left him practically “standing” in more senses than one. “Parkie” had quite a field day and scored two goals against the helpless Caldwell, the Reds gaining a ready 2-0 victory. Houston filled several forward roles before the season’s close, but in 1913-14 he was kept entirely to the outside right berth, where he challenged Beare for pride of place until Chedgzoy came into his own after literally taking up his head and walking from the Bolton infirmary. One brilliant exhibition by Houston that season, however will live long in the memory the occasion being the Makepeace-Harris £500 a piece benefit. Sheffield United were the visitors and Houston literally made rings round the £2,000 George Utley to pave the way to a glorious 5-0 victory and goals in plenty to two recent thousand pounds Everton recruits –Parker and Clennell to wit.
By the way “our Joe’s” premier feat of four goals in a match on Saturday has taken him right to the fore in the season’s goal-getters list.
The death of Manchester’s City former wing forward W. Wallace in action recalls that this player superseded J. Dorsett at outside left in the City team five years ago, when he proved a very serviceable partner to Lot Jones.


Lancashire Evening Post -Saturday 8 December 1917

The resurrection Edgar Chadwick last Saturday at Blackpool is an event. When he turned out for Rovers on November 4th last season against Burnley it was not attended by success that prompted many people to believe that it would be repeated. But I know that Edgar himself was not altogether satisfied that it was conclusive evidence of the question of whether he could come back or not, and brother Walter, the referee, afterwards told me that the veteran Internationalist would glad to lend his services to any club near which liked to avail itself of them. But it was not until a week ago that he was called upon again, and this time showed indisputably that in spite of his 47 years and his ten years' absence from the field, his feet have not lost their cunning, as his two goals and general craft demonstrated. A return like this brings back a breath of former days, laden with many fragrant memories for the older school. Chadwick belonged to the golden age of the game, when footbaJlers were artists and craftsmen, not mere workmen or hacks. There have been few men packed with guile as this genial, unassuming little man with the bowed legs, and his association with Alf. Millward for Everton. set one of the classic partnerships in football history. I have never seen his equal for accuracy and resource in hooking ball, and the pity that such talent as he possessed cannot communicated or acquired the youngster of to-day. cannot be expected that will continue play much, but whenever or any other "auld light" of the game can tempted out, linking up the old with the present, it is a thing to be welcomed.

December 8, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Severe Test By The Potters’ Club
F.E.H’s” Special
Admittedly, Everton were face with a big task today. They were at Stoke, fighting against a strong side whose members have experience as well as ability –age, too, crept into the argument when thinking out Stoke’s chance or otherwise. Everton have been playing very good football latterly and as Stoke have faltered here and there, Everton were not without hope of doing themselves and their Anfield neighbours a good run. Teams;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Thompson (captain) and Robinson, backs; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie, forwards. Stoke; Peers, goal; Maddock and Tremlow, backs; Jones, Parker, and E. Turner, half-backs; Harrison, Whittingham, Howell, Herbes and Briggett, forwards. Referee; Mr. F.H. Heald (Manchester). Everton’s visit to Stoke occasioned the highest interest in the Potteries and an afternoon more in keeping with mild autumn than bleak December brought many spectators to the famous Victoria ground. The match was additionally important by reason of the fact that it might become a determining factor in the ultimate race for championship honours. Everton fortunately were able to field their full team and with Stoke also at representative strength a fine struggle was assured. A slight mist overhung the enclosure when the game was commenced more than ten minutes after time before 10,000 onlookers. Stoke were the first to make ground, but Harrison was palpably offside when he gained possession, and the subsequent exchanges were all in favour of the visitors. From a forward pass by Wareing, Jefferis and Murray got through dangerously when Tremlow cleared.
An Opening Lost
The Evertonians came again immedidiately on the left, when Donnachie who was given a splendid opening put the leather ridiculously wide. As will gathered the opening stages of the contest were quite as keen and fast as anticipated and the crowd was rewarded with incident after incident of the most exciting character. Grenyer put the Everton left wing in possession and Clennell looked like wriggling his way through when he was dispossessed by Maddock. The visitors, however, continued to exert pressure and after Gault had missed a golden opportunity, Wareing sent in a terrific hard drive, which the Stoke keeper luckily managed to tip over the bar. The corner kick was safely negoiatiated, and Bridgett carried war into the Everton camp only to be stalled off at the last moment by Thompson. The home forwards returned in full force and Howell was well placed when he hesitated and permitted the Everton defenders to clear. As the match progressed both sides expended themselves to the full and we were given some rattling good football. Everton were just a little cleverer than their opponents and Murray a cheer by a beautiful bit of work which put the ball to Gault’s toes. The Everton centre shot strongly, but Peers failed at the cost of corner.
An Everton Raid
For some time the visitors enjoyed all the best of the argument, and another raid on the home goal culminated in Peers saving another volley from Gault at the second attempt. This was a distinctly lucky escape for the Potters and fortune still smiled upon them when Twenlow headed out a shot almost from underneath the bar. Stoke at the same time, were by no means out of the picture, and a breakaway on the right threatened danger until Mitchell cleared Whittingham’s final drive. Donnachie and Clennell once led Jones a merry dance but the first-named player’s finishing effort went wide, and the next incident was a breakaway by Bridgett and Herbert, which was well nullified by the visitors defence. Towards the interval the game became somewhat scrambling in character, but it was redeemed by Harrison, who came through at top speed and finished with a glorious centre. Fortunately for Everton, Howell was not permitted to apply the coup-de-grace, Thompson blocking the way, and when Herbert came through a few seconds later, his intention was stopped by Everton’s watchful right back. Stoke, however persisted in the most stremous fashion, and on the borders of half-time both Whittingham and Howell got in shots which were intercepted.
Bridgett’s Double
This determination to get through was intensified and Bridgetts taking a forward pass raced in and scored with a swift cross shot. It s questionable whether or not he was offside, but the referee apparently had no doubt about the matter. After this success Stoke stormed the Everton goal, and Howell missed two opportunities of increasing the lead. The visitors made a desperate effort on the left to retrieve the situation, but Maddock was equal to the demands made upon him and Stoke going down again, were granted a free kick close in. From this Bridgett had the proud distinction of scoring a second goal and wild cheering.
Half-time; Stoke City 2, Everton 0
Comments the first half as I have endeavoured to indicate, had been full of incidents, and numerous exhibitions of first-class footwork. The Evertonians were cleverer in combination than their antagonists, but they failed to make the most of the opportunity. The Stoke forwards, on the other hand were always dangerous at close range and they did not hesitate to ram their chances home. Bridgett’s first goal was certainly near the offside border, and his second was a well delivered shot that gave Mitchell little chance. Gault had led his line with skill and enterprise but he was not allowed too much latitude and the work of the Everton halves was frequently discounted by the hesitancy of the vanguard.
Second Half
On crossing over, Everton went off at a great pace, and for some minutes they engaged in the bulk of the attack. They were especially dangerous on the right, Jefferis and Murray both being prominent though unsuccessful. Then Stoke took up the running, and a hot drive from Bridgett and Whittingham was luckily intercepted. The Potters were still pegging away when Thompson was hit violently on the face by the heavy ball, and had to be helped from the field. Although handicapped Everton continued to keep their opponents extremely busy, of when Gault and Clennell were in the danger zone they were both stalled off. Fine work by Fleetwood offered an opening for the visitors, but the Stoke defenders, confident in their lead, showed quiet coolness. Attack after attack was successfully beaten off. At the other end the home forwards were tremendous busy at times, and Bridgett missed a glorious chance of doing the hat trick.
Goal Scorers
Bridgett scored for Stoke
Bridgett scored a second from a free-kick
Howell’s scored a third for Stoke

December 10, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
“F.E.H” describing Everton’s three-nil defeat at Stoke says:-
Everton came rather a nasty cropper at Stoke through it was mainly their own fault that they were beaten by three clear goals. The old proverb that “Handsome is as handsome does” is an applicable to football as other things. The cleverness of the Evertonians was obvious. Where they failed was in their method of finishing. Time after time the forwards took the leather along by the prettiest of combined movements only to drive the ball wide or loss it altogether at the critical moment. Stoke on the other hand, without making any pretensions to the niceness of the code, made the most of their opportunities and though they were the inferior side in point of individual skill, their victory all things considered was well merited. In the first half hour, Everton demonstrated their command of the game in brilliant fashion, but to no effective purpose and when the Potters turned round with a comfortable lead of two goals they never looked back. They became, indeed additionally aggressive and Howell put the issue beyond doubt with a well-contrived third goal. Bridgett had been responsible for the two in the first half. There was considerable doubt as to whether his initial effort was not scored from an offside position, but the second which came from a free kick was beyond suspicious. The work of the Everton forwards generally was rather disappointing. Gault missed opening after opening, and Clennell, who seems to have struck quite an acid patch, was rarely in the picture. Murray and Donnachie both did good work on their respective wings, and the half-backs showed their customary capability. Stoke throughout showed dour determination. Maddock ad Tremlow distinguished themselves at back, and the forwards were always on the go. Harrison and Bridgett being continually in the limelight. Result Stoke 3 goals Everton nil. For my part, I really thought Everton would have fared better.

December 10, 1917. The Liverpool Evening Express
There were two clever sides on view at the Victoria Grounds. Stoke, on Saturday, and the big crowd had good value for their support. The Evertonians were hopeful of lowering the excellent record of the Potters and putting the first half hour of the game fully extended the home defence, and were undoubtedly the more resourceful side. Still they lacked finishing power, and thus failed to turn their superiority in footwork to good account (writes Rover).
In the general play Stoke’ lead by three clear goals somewhat flattered them. Still there could be no questioning the fact that they are a great side, well balanced throughout, and the forward line will score many points by reason of the profitable methods they adopt. They were fortunate in finding the Everton backs somewhat unhinged owing to Thompson giving way, and though the captain returned to the fray, he was always handicapped and the Stoke forwards profited thereby. The Everton half-backs, Grenyer, Wareing and Fleetwood, played assiduously throughout, and finest of their work merited better results from those in front of them. Clennell however, was not as trustful as usual, and most of the aggressive work on the left was borne by Donnachie. Gault found in Parker, the Stoke pivot, a difficult customer to elude while Jefferis and Murray shared in the general failing of the line –the lack of penetrative power. Mitchell had plenty of work on hand, especially the second portion and on the whole he kept his charge well. The Stoke defence was sound from start to finish, and the forwards were first timers too, and rarely wasted an opportunity within range.

December 11, 1917. The Liverpool Evening Express
Bee’s Notes
“Tim” Coleman, in a letter received from him on Monday shows that the Blackburn Rover player Latheron gave his life for a comrade. He writes.
“Have just had a talk with one of poor Eddie Latheron’s comrade who was in his battery. He died giving his life for another. They were building a place behind the battery, when the Germans started shelling. One of the R.E.’s got hit, and Eddie ran out of his dugout to save him, when a part of a shell hit him. He must have been immensely popular the way they spoke of him. They were full of his heroic action.
Coleman’s letter goes on;-
We have been in it again, and I can assure you the “budys” were splendid, I have been with the battery or in touch all the time since we came out and I certainly think this is the hardest trial we have had, and I am proud to say we came out with flying colours.
“We were not the only battalion that did good as a battalion who have snared our trouble with us all the time, and who are particularly DEAR TO LIVERPOOL PEOPLE, also did magnificently, and quite upheld the traditions of their famous regiment. We had rather a bad time, but considering the heavy fighting and the losses we indicted, I think we did fairly well! The spirit of the men in the front line, were beening heavily attacked, and one of our companies were in support to them. Word was sent for them to move up. When the runner arrived he was told they had already moved up to their assistance. The prisoners we took were very young, and one said they had been made to attack at the point of the officers revolvers. Another said; “We’re beaten.” The Boches must have been confident of breaking through, as they came over in full pack. Their cavalry was there, and their artillery was already lumbered up. The players have again been lucky, only two wounded and these I believe slight.
Sergt-Major Gibson (Notts Forest) got a little shrapnel over his eye, but pluckily stopped with the lads and I have just spoken to him, and he seems quite all right. Joe Goldthrope who assisted Rotherham was also wounded in the leg but I don’t think it is dangerous. Sorry to say we lost some splendid officers. One alone accounting for between 70 or 80 Boches before he fell. We are out for a time, and we may be able to get a game, I don’t wish to boast, but I am back in the battalion team again. I can hear you saying; AT the time of life to.” We beat a picked team of the 1st Division by 13 goals; also another picked team by 10 goals, so you can see the lads have not lost their form. Am sending you a X-mas card, and although it is somewhat premature, allow me to wish you and all my Liverpool friends a merry Xmas and a happy New Year, and may it bring in a splendid peace.

December 11, 1917, The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Although Charlie McFadyen was signed by Everton following the accident at Deepdale against the Rovers on Christmas Day, 1913, which put an end to his career with North End, one always thinks of him as a North End Player. He writes;-
I came out here with Bert Gilboy, and we are both playing for the R.G.A team, which is a real knock-out, every one of the men being a professional. Our captain is Charlie Wallace, late of the Villa, and he and Gilboy made a sparkling wing. As our left wing is just as good, as you can imagine when a player like Needham of the Wolves, can’t get a place, you can think what the forwards are like.
My Partner at back is Gregory, of Watford, a real good lad, and the goalkeeper is Blake, who had a run with Newcastle United, and later was with Bristol City. It will give you a better idea of what we are when I tell you that we have never been beaten yet. We play good teams every week but we serve them all alike. We played the pick of the base last Sunday, and won 4-2. We found them a very good lot indeed. A strong wind blew from end to end of the ground, which would spoiled the football a bit, but taking everything into consideration I think everyone who watched it enjoyed it. There was a crowd of about 5,000 and the proceeds went to the Red Cross. I sometimes think if the war was over I would have a try once more , as my leg seems as good as ever, and I am in better health than I have been for a long time. I have never missed playing when there has been on the losing side so far. I captained out battery team at Winchester, and played outside left every game scoring a few on the quiet.

December 12, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
It is a long time since we heard of Arthur Berry, the Oxford, English international Nomad, and Liverpool and Everton player. Arthur is with the forces in France, and has been there for a very long time. His father Mr. Edwin Berry, had news of his boy this week, showing that he is still in perfect health. He was anxious to put in “Julien’s” work, and thereby identify himself with the city he loves so clearly. We all remember Arthur Berry’s wing work and could wish that he had been able to give us more of it.

December 12, 1917. The Liverpool Evening Express
Everton were very unlucky to be beaten 3-0 by Stoke last Saturday, and in the return fixture I expect to see the “Blues” do much better. Of course, Stoke are undoubtedly a class team with a fine record, and they may run Everton to a draw, but it is hardly likely that they will secure all the points, especially if the Goodison forwards will shoot at every opportunity and not try to walk the ball into the net.

Liverpool Echo - Thursday 13 December 1917
Everton announce that, as John Maconnachie is home on leave this week-end, and Smith, of Albion, is ''playable," their defence will read;-Mitchell; Maconnachie and Smith. This is good news for Everton supporters. A collection will be taken for the. St. Dunstan's Hospital.

December 14, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
There is heavy work for our teams tomorrow. I don’t think they will fail us, for Everton plainly played well up to a point last week at Stoke.
What Everton Face
Without doubt there should be an excellent crowd tomorrow. Everton; Mitchell; Macconnachie, Smith; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie. Stoke; Peer; Maddock, Twenlow; Jones, Parker, E. Turner; Harrison, Whittingham, Howell, Herbert, Bridgett.

December 14, 1917. The Evening Express
Stoke will invade Goodison Park tomorrow in full strength, intending to make it warm for Everton; but as the latter are also likely to field a powerful eleven, the large crowd sure to be present should witness a fine display. The “Blues” prospects were a bit shaky when Thompson was injured last week, but happily Macconnachie is on leave, and Smith the West Bromwich back, also can play, so the rear rank will give the visitors something to think about. the only change in the opponent team is that Eli Trueman stands down from left half to make way for Smith, whose suspension has now expired. The men will line up as follows;- Everton; Mitchell; Macconnachie, Smith; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie. Stoke; Peer; Maddock, Twenlow; Jones, Parker, Smith; Harrison, Whittingham, Howell, Herbert, Bridgett.

December 15, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
By “Vin”
But for the war two anniversaries of importance in the history of Everton and Liverpool would not have passed unnoticed. –One being Liverpool’s “Silver jubilee” the club having been founded in 1892.
Synchronous with Liverpool’s inception was Everton’s purchase of a brickfield in Walton for the ridiculously cheap sum of £3,000 –the initial outlay being described by a paper of that period as money well spent. It would be interesting to hear, say, from Dr. Baxter, the story of the purchase. The doctor I believe –though from hearsay –is the most influential genetleman surviving, who took a prominent part in the negotiation.
The stately homes of England
Where football reigns supreme.
Everton’s palatial ground at Goodison is one of football’s stately homes.”
A Liverpool publication in the first issue dated October 15, 1892” devotes a few lines to the ground. Here is a “tuft” –
Truly we might spare pages over this modern arena, but space forbids. Suffice it, however to remark an inspection of the strong and substantial foundations alone how carefully the whole has been planned. And Mr. Prescott, the architect himself a worthy footballer once, by the way, and Messrs Kelly, Brothers, the contractors, may take all the credit for it they deserve. But the noble ground was not made with the simple wave of a magician’s wand. It is the outcome of much thought and study, and Mr. George Mahon the chairman and the many willing co-workers he had can look now upon the results of their efforts with the utmost pride.
Men in Khaki
Mordue, I remember this boy when he was playing for a juvenile side at Sacristan a little miming township in Durham, and we all watched his rapid developed in the ranks of Barnsley, Woolwich and Sunderland, Johnny is with a siege battery somewhere in France. Then there is Leslie Scott, that tall gifted custodian a corporal in the Durham Light infantry, who is convalescing after an operation to the knee; and his deputies Ernest Jones and James Boa, who remembers Goodison Park are both in khaki –the former in France. Harry Ness, in the Black Watch is fighting in the mud of Flaunders and Bob Young a sergeant in the Durham has won the Military Medal, and has been wounded twice. Bert Hobson a promising back, is also in, but I believe he is recovering and Williamson is one of the galliant lot in France. Then there is our old friend Charlie Thomson, one of the greatest pivots Scotland ever produced. He has only had a short career in the Army, but he is now fighting in Italy. Thomas Thompson is at home, gassed but Wilson is in France and Harry Low, that gifted middle-man is in the Navy serving on the Dido, and aching for the Hun fleet to poke its nose out. A dashing young forward in Charlie Crossley is also in the Navy and George Phillips the dandy goal-getter is in the Air Service. Harry Martin, that big, tall dark youth, who used to simply fly down the left wing is in the Leicester’s, and Bobby best the stocky boy who could juggle with the ball either at outside right or centre-forward is in France, Hartwell, Croft, Kelsall, (In Egypt) Seed (in France), Moore and Coverdale, and so it Hopkinson, whom I met in London not long ago, when he was getting ready to go out to the stern realities of life’s big game. –David Carrick.

December 15, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Bee’s Notes
On the Bullen-road side of the Everton ground there was a guard today. It was necessary as the boardings which surround the private practice ground has been blown down by last night’s gale.

Manchester Evening News - Saturday 15 December 1917
M'Connachie Reappears in the Home Team. Everton had M'Connachie, home on leave, at full back to-day for the big match against Stoke, at Goodison Park. Smith ex-Albion, was also playing, otherwise the team showed no change from last week, when stoke won 5—0. There was a gale during the night, and a number hoardings round the playing pitch (which happened for second time this season) were blown down. There were 14,000 spectators present. Everton pressed from the start, and Jeffreys and Murray got Bromilow in difficulties, a corner, forced by- Murray, being of no  avail. Stoke replied. Bridgett's nippiness was surprising, and was well in the picture with determination and skill, but the most troublesome attack up to this was a breakaway by Harrison, who rounded M'Connachie for Mitchell to clear. Fleetwood had to go off owing to injury to his left arm through collision. M'Connaohie fielded a long ball, which brought three comers and much danger.  Waring nearly caught Peers and napping, one player being in the way the other. At this stage turned.   Evertonian shot through his own goal in attempting to clear. This occurred after ten minutes' play. Clennell then struck the with a beauty.
Whittingham, equalised for Stoke after 19 minutes' play. M'Connachie now returned to the field. Stoke gradually obtained the upper hand, and perfect play by Bridgett, Herbert, and Whittingham resulted in the last-named steadying and sending in beautiful shot which gave Mitchell no chance. With the scores level a capital battle raged between the sides, although Everton were handicapped with only nine men on the field, Gault and Murray both missed' openings. The home forwards continued' the aggressive, and Donnachie passed to Connell, who sent in terrific drive, which left Pearce helpless, thus scoring a thrilling goal. Donnachie made marvellous centre from vile angle, and O'Connell came near another The Stoke defence was severely tested. 

December 15, 1917, The Liverpool Football Echo
By Bee
Today Everton received the Stoke eleven – a fine big side, whose form and record drew well. Everton lost last week, and today, with Macconnachie home on leave and Smith at full back, and other ranks in good order, there was fine chance of revenge to be taken out of those Potters. The morning was bad, the afternoon better, and the Turf was stickly. Teams; Everton; Mitchell, goal; Macconachie and Smith, backs; Fleetwood (captain), Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Stoke; Peers, goal; Maddock and Twemlow, backs; Jones, Parker, and Smith, half-backs; Harrison, Whittingham, Howell, Herbert and Bridgett, forwards. Referee; Mr. F.H. Heald (Manchester).
It was a brisk start, and Jefferis and Murray got the rusty-haired Twenlow in difficulty, a corner forced by Murray being of no avail, Bridgett’s nippiness was surprising and Whittingham, of course, was well in the picture with determination and skill, but the most troublesome attack up to this point was the breakaway by Harrison who left Macconnachie and showed surprising speed for a man of his years. Fleetwood had to go off through an injury to his left arm –an injury sustained through a collision. Macconnachie put up a long ball, and from this came three corners and much danger. Wareing nearly caught the goalkeeper and Twenlow napping, the one player being in the way of the other. Following that there was a book shot from Clennell that was taken without a moment’s delay, and therefore could not be expected to be other than a pot shot. A free kick taken by Clennell had the goalkeeper and his assistant on the line well beaten. The woodwork saved Stoke.
Maddock’s Unlucky Touch
They were not long without a debit balance, however, and the cause of it was a half-turned ball from an Evertonian shot. Peers was on his way to save that shot, when Maddock tried to clear, and turned the ball slowly to goal. Stoke tried to recover possession, but the ball beat them, and thus, in ten minutes Everton were a goal up through this unusual process of goal-making. All this time, mark you, Fleetwood was off the field, and Jefferis was doing fine work as a half back. As a contrast in positions, it was worth noticing that when Everton took a corner kick Grenyer went to centre forward. Gault made a nice effort from a bonny pass by Clennell, who had his movements marked by more than two men every time he touched the ball. Stoke gradually obtained the upper hand, and made a perfect equalizing goal at the nineteenth minute. Bridgett, Herbert, and Whitingham kept the ball along the turf and place it with just enough strength to allow the man receiving the ball to take it in his stride the result that Whittingham had time to steady himself and shoot to the right hand of his goal.
Everton Field Nine Men
A capital battle was now waged in spite of the absentee of a strong link in Fleetwood, but when Harrison tapped Macconnachie it was plain to see that the Royle Flying Corp man was badly hurt. Macconnachie left the field, and Smith played on his own at full back. The accidents led to temper being shown, and Wareing as penalized for a foul on Whittingham. Valiant was the effort put forward by the defeated side, and Clennell forced Peers to fall full length to save his goal, Murray not being able to get up in time to complete a goal. A moment later there was a similar escape. Twemlow missing his kick and Gault being a yard short of a gift goal.
Clennell’s Thrilling Goal
At the moment Everton’s “No 9” were well on top of Stoke, and when Donnachie covered the ball to Clennell, that popular little fellow drove in a terrific ball and scored a most thrilling goal. What is more, Donnachie made a marvelous centre from a vile angle, and Clennell was precious near pinching another goal. It was wretched bad luck for the Everton club, and of course for the players, and there seemed to be a continues of the chapter of accidents when Parker caught the carry-through of a Clennell kick. The Stoke pivot caught the blow on his chest, and after attention from the trainer Parker was able to resume. The news of the serious injuries sustained by Fleetwood and Macconachie soon spread round the ground and the spectators did not forget to encourage the valiant nine, and especially Jefferis, who did some very clever things when the outlook was blackest. J.P. Jones more than once rattled the feet of Donnachie and Clennell, but the referee didn’t seem to know this trick against football rules, and when Gault committed a foul on Maddock Everton were presented with a free kick. Much excitement was caused, Mitchell making a daring save by falling on the ball and getting rid of it, in spite of the attentions of the oncoming forwards.
Half-time; Everton 2, Stoke 1.

December 15, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Tranmere Rovers have Everton Reserves as visitors today, and a goodly gate assembled with the double object of seeing the game and contributing to the fund of the Sportsman’s Ambulance. The teams were as follows;- Tranmere; Mahon, goal; Bull and Simpson, backs; Scott, Smith, and Dale, half-backs; Mawson, Baker, Fishwick, Cunningham, and H. Wadsworth, forwards. Everton Reserves;- Best, goal; Stewart and Collins, backs; Leyton, Caine and McDonald, half-backs; Daly, Lovelady, Cotter, Twist, and Roy, forwards. The Rovers started from the Belington end against a keen wind, and immediately attacked. Bull took a return on his head and seen in a great kick which almost “bested” Best. Them Scott had a plug, and Moreton tried a third. A good deal of heading and short kicking looked dangerous for Everton, but Stewart, Collins, and Leyton finally cleared. Wadsworth and Cunningham ran down cleverly, but Caine stopped the movement. The Rovers came again. A couple of corners followed, and Bull had another shot, and Baker, from close range, just missed. Everton were outplayed so far. A pretty move by Moreton almost succeeded and then for the moment Everton attacked. Quarter Time;-No score. H. Wadsworth shot in, and Best, in fisting, missed the ball, but managed to kick clear. The visitors raced up the field, and Lovelady had a shot which Mahon easily handled. The Rovers’ forwards came down again, and pretty work by Wadsworth ended in Moreton dashing in from the wing and heading a beauty for No 1. A minute later Mahon caught napping and Lovelady had an easy shot to equalize. Everton had a fairshare of the play, and were dangerous for a time. Rovers put in a perfect bombardment after this. Half-time; Tranmere Rovers 1, Everton 1. Play in the second half was very slack, Rovers having all the play. Three quarters time; One goal each. Fishwick scored for Tranmere.

December 17, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
I feel quite sure the cheers of the crowd, the inspiration offered the “Everton nine” and the applauses signaling Everton’s victory, had in a measure at the back the remembrance of Stoke’s slaughter of Blackburn’s innocents. Stoke will very shortly learn a lesson if they have not already picked up an idea of the sporting mind regarding the purposeless slamming of “jumpers” Above all that however, there can be no denying the fact that the big crowd enjoyed the “tousy” game and was raised to excitement by the sturdy manner in which nine men beat eleven. It was a wonderful display of pluck and persistence and good football, and to everyone of the men I extend very hearty congratulations.
How Fleetwood and Macconnachie Were Badly Hurt
Everyone sympathizes with Captain Fleetwood and the R.F.C member John S. Macconachie. They received nasty blows and Fleetwood’s broken arm will take a long time to mend. Macconnachie’s injury is caused through Harrison, usually so clean and careful. Harrison brought down Macconachie and the pitch that followed led to the back’s dislocation. While not charging the Stoke team with foul play, I do protest against their use of the elbow. The refereeing of the present season suddenly seems to have alighted on a black spot. Mr. Heald had no eye for elbowing, and the times that Maddock simply mauled Donnachie with his windmill action must have made the winger’s ribs sore.
To All-and in Particular To One
In spite of the handicap Everton contrived to earn a victory of 3-2. It was there pronounced than the score suggests, because it was close on time that Bridgett got away and scored. Apart from that goal, Bridgett had spend his time trying to make out how he could possibly get beyond the new half back –one Jefferis. To all the winners I gave applause, to Jefferis I must say he was a revelation. Clennell’s double barreled goal account was very popular, of course, for the little man has a big crop, and these were very saucy goals. Of the losers, I should take Herbert and Howell, at forward, Harrison and Whittingham being erratic. Maddock is a fairish back, but I especially like the sandy-haired boy, Tremlow. He is a back built on hefty lines, and forwards will become a feared of him.

December 17, 1917. The Evening Express
Saturday’s games resulted in two surprises both Liverpool and Stoke being beaten. Unfortunately, Everton’s great victory over Stoke was marred by the serious injury to two of the Everton players, Fleetwood breaking his wrist and Macconnachie his arm. Both accidents resulted in the first half of the game, but this did not deny the Blues of victory and at one time they led 3-1, a last minute kick by Bridgett increasing the victorys score.
Everlan Excel
The Everton-Stoke match last Saturday is one that will go down in football history for two reasons. One was that two of the Blues best known and popular players net with bad accidents and the other was that despite the handicap of playing the whole of the second half with only nine men, Everton gamed a meterious victory by three goals to two. Had they been beaten they would have deserved commendation for the dash with which they finished the first half, but praise can hardly be too high for the nine, who kept Stoke at bay, and increased their lead in the second period. It was quite early in the first half when Fleetwood fell awkwardly and had to leave the field. On examination he was found to have broken an arm, and was taken to hospital. Shortly before the interval Maconnachie who was home on leave came into collision with Harrison, and also fell. He was taken to the dressing room where it was found that his elbow had been dislocated, but after medical attention he was able to proceed home. Everton have not shown greater form for many a long day, and they went off tired but happy men deserving of every congratulation. “Everton are easily thrown off their game; is an old cry which has been knocked on the head once for all. In the second half Smith, the West Bromwich player showed simply remarkable form, and never made a mistake, and thus Mitchell had quite to do, though the keeper brought off one remarkable save. Wareing and Grenyer went into their work heart and soul, whilst Jefferis especially in the second half, Donnachie and Clennell have never been seen to better advantage. Gault and Murray were good, but were overshadowed by the others.


Daily Record - Tuesday 18 December 1917

Archie Goodall, the one-time International football captain, tops the bill at the Coliseum. Starring as a strong man, he gives a, clever and daring gymnastic act. “Walking the Hoop is one of the sensations of Archie's act.

December 19, 1917. The Evening Express
Everton can anticipate a pretty hard game at Preston. By the way, Fleetwood and Macconnachie are progressing favourably. The bone which was broken in Fleetwood’s arm is mending rapidly, and he should be quite fit in about three weeks time. On Christmas Day Liverpool and Everton play a friendly at Anfield and on Boxing Day they meet again at Goodison Park, whilst New Year’s Day see them once more in opposition in the subsidiary competition.

Liverpool Echo - Wednesday 19 December 1917
Everton team to meet Preston' North End at Deepdeep-'-Mitchell; A. N. Other, Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Gault, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie.

December 20, 1917, The Evening Express
Everton are completed to make several changes from the side which defeated Stoke for their game at Preston. Macconnachie, of course, was not available, as his leave had expired, and apart from his injury he would not have played; whilst Fleetwood’s broken arm will mean his absention from football for a while. In these circumstances, the doctors were faced with a difficult problem, and who will figure at right full back is still uncertain, Robinson returns to the left wing, and Jefferis who shaped so well at right back when Fleetwood had to retire in the Stoke game, has been selected for that berth. This is necessitated changes in the front line, where W. Wright, a former Everton player who has been a assisting Bury will appear at centre-forward whilst Gault is transferred to inside right for the first time since leaving Stockport. The side therefore, is as follows;- Mitchell; A.N. Other, Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Gault, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie.

December 20, 1917 Evening Despatch.
Private Bert Williams, Shropshire L.I., 57, Frederick Street, Walsall, a native of Oswestry, has been so badly wounded this his leg has been amputated, and his brother Lance Corporal A. Williams, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, a well known footballer, who has assisted Everton was also wounded earlier in the war.

December 20, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
It will have been seen by last night’s paper that Everton are placing Frank Jefferis at half back. Do you wonder at the move when you remember Everton’s previous experience and when the game played by Jefferis last week is taken into account. No it was plain on Saturday’s showing the Everton have had a half-back and no one know till force to circumstances –pity such arose – caused a forward to fall back a place and become an assistant at half-back. Perhaps the most not able change of place occurred when Arthur Goddard was made a centre half after a long running as outside right. It is all very well to say a good player can play anywhere. That is a partial truth, and can in some cases he refused. However, the fact remains that Jefferis is a close player and is capable of playing at half-back, if Saturday last is any criterion. Knowing so much about forwards’ moves it becomes natural that Jefferis should divine what forwards hope and propose to do –therefore he should be a sound half-back. Harking back a little I revive a memory of Fleetwood and Grenyer being signed on as forwards, and quickly –perhaps a little too quickly-being transformed into half-backs. Macconnachie on the other hand came to us as a centre-half and had a sticky wicket” till be dropped to full back. Our old friend Jackie Taylor like Walter Abbott are other cases of Everton forwards becoming top-hole half-backs. May Jefferis follow sent to my hope although it means that on the right wing his excellence will be missed –and it is sorely necessary because Murray has lost his “touch” and is not playing up to the state known as good form.

December 21, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Everton, at Preston, will also be faced with a rugged side. Although a believed in Stockport’s ability to win at Preston last week, I nevertheless recognize that North End will be a hard nut for Everton to crack in view of the depleted team. Everton have been somewhat disappointing, but this week of course, injuries are the cause of their weakness. The plan of the Deepdale field is;- Everton; Mitchell; Riley and Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Gault, Wright, Clennell, Donnachie. Preston North End; Causer; Threlfall, Goddard; Holdsworth, McCall, Swarbrick, McCall, Holdsworth; Clifton, Hosker, Lees, D. Mayler, Barlow.

Liverpool Echo - Friday 21 December 1917
Tom Fleetwood, who broke his arm last week in the Everton match, will kick-off in South Liverpool's home game to-morrow.

December 21, 1917. The Evening Express
The position occupied by A.N.Other in the originally selected Everton team to play at Preston tomorrow has been allocated to a new recruit named J. Riley. He hails from the St Helens district, and has been showing promising form in the “A” team. Everton full back line will thus be represented by two juniors who are in their first season in what may be termed senior football. Jefferis will be tried at right half, and Lovelady of Boothroyd’s, who has appeared in the Everton ranks before, may figure at inside right. Preston North End expect to have a reprehensive side. Causer, the Stockport City custodian who is in training at Fulwood Barracks is available for the game, and it is expected that McCall, who is on Christmas leave from his training quarters, will make a welcome reappearance at centre half, while Swarbrick or Barnes will be the left-half position. Forward Lieut Meyler who is also on leave, will partner the evergreen Barlow and Lees will occupy the centre forward berth. Teams; Mitchell, goal; Riley and Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing, Grenyer; Murray, Lovelady, Gault, Clennell, Donnachie. Preston; Causer; Threllfall, Goddard; Holdsworth, McCall, Swarbrick (or Barnes); Clifton, Hosker, Lt Meyler, Barlow
More Help
Mr. Clayton is an enthusiast where the Sportsmen’s Ambulance Fund is concerned and so it is not surprising to hear that at both the Derby matches has between Everton and Liverpool –at Anfield on Christmas Day, and Goodison park on Boxing Day – collections will be taken on behalf of that worily object. For the same cause on Boxing morning there will be a match at Goodison Park between Grayston’s and Harland Woff’s. This is a needle affair which is exciting great interest in munitions circles and it is hoped there will be a big attendance.

December 24, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
“Rover” writes that individual mention need not be-enlarged upon considering the prevailing conditions. Everton owing to recent happenings had the experiment with a completely new right wing which maintained an even balance with the rest of the line, and did not shape at all badly. Gault was the opportunist of the side, and though most of the aggressive work came upon from the left, finishing touches were rarely convincing. Jefferis did well in his new position, and with Wareing and Grenyer formed a barrier that was always too difficult for the home van to penetrate. Defence in the last lines was also sound, and the keeper was not often fully extended. North End too, put up a stout resistance, and while Holdsworth was a resourceful pivot, the best work forward was accomplished by Clifton and Barlow.
On Boxing Day at Goodison Park (kick-off 10.45) a match in aid of the Sportsman’s Ambulance Fund will be fought out between Grayson’s and Harland and Wolff’s. Teams; Grayson’s (North Work); Coppock; Coulthard, Jackson; McDonald, Foster, Jones, Dailey; Richardson, Curtis, McKay, Wadsworth. Harland and Woff’s from rumens, Roberts, V. Harris, W. Harris, Green, Mather, Cottier, Woods, Day, Nugent, Hanneway, Kiloran, Dempsey, Evans, Skinuer, Simpson, Franklin.

December 24, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
He hails from Earlestown, and played with Newton Commons a very successful team in the St. Helens District League. He was found early in the season, and persuaded in time to come to Everton, as Manchester United were keen on him. He is only nineteen years old, and weights 11st 10lb (some lad ah?). He should make a fine back in time, as he only experience and a little speed. Another Everton recruit in Twiss is developing.


December 24, 1917. The Liverpool Echo

He hails from Earlestown, and played with Newton Common, a very successful team in the St. Helens District League. He was found early in the season and persuaded in time to come to Everton as Manchester United were keen on him. He is only nineteen years old, and weighs 11st 10lb (some lad, eh?) he should make a fine back in time, as he only lacks experience and a little speed. Another Everton recruit in Twiss is developing.

December 26, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
The Liverpool Football Club, received Everton, and the meeting provided about 17,000 spectators with much to discuss and much to interest –not to mention four goals to the home side. The first half was the better, Everton then being quite as good as their rivals, although Liverpool led by a goal, headed by Wadsworth, who is nowadays taking full advantage of corner kicks. Up to that point Everton had been without fortune, notably when Clennell hit the foot of the upright and when the spin of the ball deceived Grenyer, who was placed a right for an easy goal. In the second half Liverpool had a scoring fit, and Bennett put in a great goal, Lewis and Scholfield also netting good points. Scholfield for the first time put his name on the Liverpool score book, and he cannot secure a prettier goal than yesterday’s which was due to a solo dribble, the player turning inward at every step. Liverpool played in fine, free fashion and deserved their handsome victory. Their small-built forward line was energetic and capable and the newcomer, a boy who has represented England and Birkenhead in school matces, played a distinctive game. The half backs were a splendid set of advances and breakers-up, and Jenkinson excelled himself while Longsworth and Campbell were as sound as usual. Everton had some of the Southport contingent to help. There were two Wrights, one a forward who played for Everton last season, the other Doser Wright, the little full-back. Caulfield who took the place once occupied by Merritt of Southport, also assisted and his runs and dribbles were often and generally helpful. Gault however was not happy in the inside berth, and after half-time changed places with Wright. Wareing who captained the side was the most successful half-back, and or either side he had valiant helpers. Result; Liverpool 4 goals, Everton nil.
Mr. Ike Baker refereed the following teams who played hard, clean football. Liverpool; Seargeant Campbell, goal; Longsworth and Jenkinson, backs; Bamber, Wadsworth and McKinlay, half-backs; Waine, Cross, Bennett, Lewis, Scholfield. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Wright and Robinson, backs; Jefferis, Wareing (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs; Caulfield, Gault, Wright, Clennell and Donnachie, forwards.

December 26, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Liverpool and Everton met in a friendly encounter at Anfield yesterday before about 15,000 spectators. The game, which was contested in the best possible spirit resulted in a win for Liverpool by four goals to nil. The first half was fairly evenly contested and shortly before the interval, Wadsworth scored from a corner after Mitchell had saved from both Bennett and Waine. Everton tried hard to get on level terms and Bennett had the hardest of luck when the ball struck the upright, Campbell being helpless. Again Clennell tried hard to penetrate the Reds, by inches but without result, and the interval arrived with Liverpool leading by one goal to nil. In the second moiety, Liverpool practically monopolished the play and the Everton defence was hard pressed. Three goals scored in a very short space of time by Lewis, Bennett and Scholfield placed Liverpool in an almost unassailable position and they were then on tent to take matters a little easy. Wareing tried hard to get the Everton vanguard into working order, but all his efforts were unavailing and with the exception of one shot from Wright, the Blues never looked like scoring and the game ended in an easy victory for the home side. All the Anfield men gave a fine display and particularly the ex-South Liverpool player, Jenkinson and it is questionable if he has ever played better. Bennett as usual was amongst the goal but he was well watch by Wareing, who gave him very few opportunities. On the losers Clennell was the most dangerous, his marksmenship was not as deadly as usual. The intermediate line worked hard but the rear and front line were not convincing. Mitchell was safe in goal and could not be held responsible for any of the goals scored against him. Teams; Liverpool; Seargeant Campbell, goal; Longsworth and Jenkinson, backs; Bamber, Wadsworth and McKinlay, half-backs; Waine, Cross, Bennett, Lewis, Scholfield. Everton; Mitchell, goal; Wright and Robinson, backs; Jefferis, Wareing (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs; Caulfield, Gault, Wright, Clennell and Donnachie, forwards.

December 26, 1917. Evening Express
Blues v. Reds at Goodison
There were about 12,000 people present to see today’s return match. Liverpool had a large number of changes to report, one cause being the injury which Jenkinson sustained playing for South Liverpool this morning. As a result McKinlay was called upon to take, the left full back position. It says something for the keenness of the present-day unpaid and often sadly maligned player that although Mac has been visiting relatives in Leeds he has travelled down each day in order to take part in these friendlies. A sporting spirit which it is occasionally necessary to draw attention to. The Reds gave a trial in goal to Doig, son of the old international. Everton again played Doesy Wright and Caulified of Southport. The teams were;- Everton; Mitchell, goal; J.H. Wright and Robinson, backs; Jefferis, Wareing (captain) and Grenyer, half-backs; Gault, Caulifield, W. Wright, Clennell and Donnachie, forwards. Liverpool; Doig, goal; Longsworth and McKinlay, backs; Bamber, Carlisle, and Hughes, half-backs; Waine, Metcalfe, Green, Lewis and Scholfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. Baker.
A Fast Opening
There was no signs of over-indulgence of Christmas pudding with the pace of the game. Each end was visited in rapid succession, but when Gault ended McKinlay and gave to Caulifield the Liverpool goal was packed, and a strong shot came to nothing. Clennell found McKinlay in the way of a free kick, and a similar effort at the other end also brought no grist to the mill. Waine’s persistence, in fact, one might call it bulldog tenacity, hugely delighted the ladies, who were present in good numbers. The play in the first quarter of an hour was very even, but the respective defences had been more than equal to numerous attacks made upon them.
Everton Scores
The Blues drew first blood at the end of twenty-three minutes. Following on delightful combination between Donnachie and Clennell, a corner was forced and the former planted this right in the goal mouth, and Grenyer headed into the net. The goal naturally delighted the supporters of the home team, who set out with renewed vigour after their success, and Doig had to field a long ball from Wareing. Caulified was allowed to go on from an apparently offside position, but was so overcome by his good fortune that he declined the Christmas box. Liverpool equalized at the end of thirty-one minutes. Metcalfe broke through and drew Mitchell, who blocked his shot but fell, and Green had nothing to do but place the ball into the untenanted net. Great excitement now prevailed, and this was intensified two minutes later, when W. Wright completely beat the visiting custodian with a ground shot, thus giving Everton the lead again. Play continued to be keen but very even, and when breathing time arrived Everton were still ahead.
Half-time; Everton 2, Liverpool 1
Everton began well in the second half, Caulifield forcing a corner from which Clennell was too high, but the Reds soon got into their stride, and when forty-three minutes had passed, Lewis, although sandwiched got in a low ground shot, which Mitchell failed to stop and the teams were once again on equal terms.

December 26, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Son of Famous Famous Goalkeeper Makes Debut
Bee’s Special
Today, at Goodison Park, the return “Derby” engagement was made very interesting by reason of the team sheets which showed Liverpool F.C, as introducing some more youngsters of promise, notably one Doig a goalkeeper, and son of the former Liverpool and “Talents” team (Sunderland). Green, a local was also a “try-on” and if the pair fared as well as did Cross, the schoolboy, yesterday, they would more than suffice. The ground was very hard, and play was sound to be ragged. Teams; Everton; Mitchell, goal; J.H. Wright and Robinson, backs; Jefferis, Wareing (captain) and Grenyer, half-backs; Gault, Caulifield, W. Wright, Clennell and Donnachie, forwards. Liverpool; Doig, goal; Longsworth and McKinlay, backs; Bamber, Carlisle, and Hughes, half-backs; Waine, Metcalfe, Green, Lewis and Scholfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. Baker. The game was a quarter of an hour late. It will be noticed that Carlisle who played this morning for South Liverpool, played his second game. Jenkinson was hurt this morning, hence his non-appearance. In the early stages there was nothing of particular note save a useful solo dribble by Wright. Everton played much better than yesterday, and the combination of Liverpool was very good. Longsworth on the goal-line, kicked away shot, and Grenyer with the rebound seemed to have scored but the ball was looked in the side netting. McKinlay followed Longsworth’s example when Clennell drove in a free kick. Lewis was in fine fettle and Wareing and Grenyer, by lobbing the ball to and fro, trickled the holiday crowd, and these Everton players found a stern rival to popularity in the person of little Waine who was as full of tricks as a monkey
A Trio of Goals
Caulifield was responsible for a dashing effort to score. The first goal of the day fell to Grenyer, who headed in a corner taken by Donnachie. Young Doig fielded the ball in confident manner. Before half-time Metcalfe took advantage of a mistake in defence to race forward; Pushing the ball forward he rounded the back in brilliant fashion and Mitchell advanced to meet him and collided with Metcalfe, Green being left with an open goal. Hardly a minute had pass before W. Wright had again given Everton the lead, the ball travelling slow to the corner of the net, Doig being late to get down the ball.
Half-time; Everton 2, Liverpool 1
The Second Half
Off his bat Lewis scored a fine goal. He had only a little room to work in and was sandwiched but by following up the ball he harassed the defence and beat Mitchell. Doig was again slow to sum up the situation.
Goal Scorers
Grenyer scored for Everton after 20 mins
Green scored for Liverpool
W. Wright scored for Everton
Lewis scored for Liverpool after forty five minutes
W. Wright scored for Everton after falling down in front of goal.
Green scored an equalizer

December 27, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Free Scoring Match
The second of the Derby games between Everton and Liverpool went Everton’s way by a remarkable score of 5-3. Thus Everton took their revenge for the Christmas Day result at Anfield. There was not much also ration in the team sheet, but the changes were very interesting. Carlise for example apperared at centre half for the visitors thus playing his second game in one day. McKinlay dropped back and played a strong game, and at centre Green was tried and proved a capable young fellow, scoring twice. Doig son of the one true international goalkeeper fielded the ball well, but was slow to move in action, the result being that he divined some shots when the ball was nearly over the one. In that way Everton got more than one goal. The plus of goals was made up by the following scorers; Wright 3, Green 2, and Grenyer, Clennell, and Lewis 1 each. Naturally with so many goals to discuss and to cheer the spectators (14,000) of them, found plenty to enthuse about. They enthused also about Scholfield’s runs. Lewis’s dribbling, Waine’s work, and the promise held out by a half back named Hughes and a centre forward named Green. On the winning side they enthused over the performances of Clennell, Donnachie’s runs, Wareing’s solidity, Grenyer’s ability with head and feet, Robinson’s sure kick, Wright’s sturdy attacks and goals and Mitchell’s safety. Altogether it was quite a good holiday game.

December 27, 1917, The Liverpool Echo
Honours are even between Everton and Liverpool in the holiday games for after being rather badly trounced on Christmas Day Everton turned the tables yesterday. There was a big holiday crowd present to see the game, and as spectators in the main go to see goals scored they had full value for their money, the nets being reached eight times, five going to the credit of Everton. There were times when play was slow, and defenders were prone to take risks they would not have done had anything depended on the result, but generally it was an interesting match to watch, the pace being so fast at times that the men might never have heard of Christmas pudding. Liverpool had a number of changes, Doig so of the old international, giving a cool display as custodian. McKinlay who is so keen that he travelled from Leeds for the match, was left back, through Speakman being injured, and did well while Longsworth never made a mistake till he lost Wright through to score the last goal in the last minute. Carlise was in rare trim as pivot and Waine again captivated the crowd by his aggressiveness. Green showed calculation in feeding his wings. Lewis kept up his scoring and Scholfield’s precise centres gave an inside men good chances. Two other southport men were in the ranks of the home team, Dossy Wright at back and Caulifield inside right, but neither did much till late in the game. The halves and left wing were the mainstay of the team, and the understanding between Clennell and Donnachie was a feature of the game, while of course, W. Wright more than justified his inclusion by scoring three times, thanks to following up. The goals scorers were W. Wright (3), Grenyer and Clennell for Everton, and Green (2) and Lewis for Liverpool.
More Trials
Mr. Clayton and his fellow directors of the Everton F.C. are wise in their day and generation, for they are optimistic enough to believe that the war may end some day and they are getting ready for that desirable day. Now is the time to try promising men, and for the engagement with Preston North End at Goodison Park on Saturday a trial will be given to two players of Tranmere Rovers namely, Bull at full-back and Cunningham at inside right. The former has often been billed for Everton, but this will be his first appearance for them. These will be the only change from the side which defeat Liverpool yesterday. The Everton team will therefore be;- Mitchell; Bull, Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing, Grenyer; Gault, Cunningham, Wright (W), Clennell and Donnachie.

December 28, 1917. The Evening Express
Intending spectators should note that the Everton-Preston game tomorrow will not commence till 2.40 p.m. Gault is suffering from a severe cold, so cannot play for Everton tomorrow and his place will be taken by Moreton of Tranmere Rovers. The Goodison team will be;- Mitchell; Bull, (Tranmere Rovers), and Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing and Grenyer; Moreton, Cunningham (Tranmere Rovers), W. Wright, Clennell and Donnachie.

December 28, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Tomorrow’s visitors always command report for the old North End name will ever be held in esteem in any land of football. North End have struck a winning patch, judging by their Christmas results, but their attack will have to improve, it is to do any good against Everton’s half-backs line now “brought up” by Frank Jefferis. North End I am told will have the assistance of Swarbrick who was injured in the memorable Anfield game when North End gave the Liver a live-wire fright. Everton have done wisely by introducing Cunningham and Bull. Bull I know to be a solid back and Cunningham has always struck me as bring tit for higher service. In view of the changes and the recent win over Liverpool. Evertonians should be in fine feather and numbers tomorrow. Everton; Mitchell; Bull, Robinson; Jefferis, Wareing, Grenyer; Gault, Cunningham, W. Wright, Clennell, Donnachie.

December 29, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
A hearty vote of thanks to both Liverpool and Everton players for enjoyable services rendered during the first four months of another mementoes season. The “Reds” who-heartedness has been especially marked. This is the secret of much of their success. Everton for some degree have been lacking in this essential. Cauilfield is more the Everton type of outside right than any man the Blues have tried in Sam Chedgzoy’s place. The Everton attack losses rather much by the withdrawal of Jefferis to half-back. Donnachie’s only goal of the season came in the opening match. By the way both he and Gault had a very lean time on Tuesday. Clennell’s at inside right surprised some people. He was no stranger to this position, however, when with the Rovers.
Everton’s revenge over the Reds was sharp and sweet. Yet there were periods in the second half when Liverpool looked like coming through victorious. Carlise once of Everton reserves, did well for an hour, after which the effects of his morning match begin to tell. Wright as Everton’s leader, improved considerably on previous form. Gault, too, came into his own somewhat in the strange position of outside right.

December 29, 1917, The Liverpool Football Echo
This paper has said some hard things about Stoke F.C as a consequence of their 16-0 score against Blackburn Rovers. Therefore I welcome a chance of testifying to the game of sportsmanship. They have done an uncommon thing by writing the Everton Club and congratulant then upon the defeat of Stoke at Goodison Park. Mr. W.C. Cuff, Everton’s secretary, recently received the following letter;-
I take the liberally of congratulating your boys on their magnificent performance. Although the performance was against my own team, and was a big knock-down blow to aim I cannot withhold my mead of praise to a team for its really wonderful grit and resource in no difficult a situation. I thrust the two injured players are making satisfactory progress and will soon be ready to join their gallaint comrades –Your’s &t, J.A. Scholfield, Secretary.
It will be remembered that Everton beat Stoke 3-2 and that Fleetwood broke his arm, Macconnachie dislocating his shoulder. Both are progressing excellently.

December 29, 1917, The Liverpool Football Echo
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Bull and Robinson, backs; Jefferis, Wareing (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs; Murray, Gault, Wright, Clennell, and Donnachie, forwards. Preston North End;- Causer, goal; Threllfall, and Goddard, backs; J.H. Wright, Fay and Swarbrick, half-backs; Clifton, Jackson, Hoskers, Barnes, and Barlow, forwards. There were many changes late in, and the appearance of Fay and “Dosy” Wright on the visitors side meant a great strengthening of North End. Wright’s it will be remembered played for Everton last week, and for Southport previously. Having won the toss, Everton started by narrowly missing a score on three or four occasions. There was something suspiciously like a handling case in the penalty area of the Everton defence, and J.H. Wright had piled a long one, Causer into luck. Wright the centre forward charged the goalkeeper, when he was in possession, the ball narrowly missed, rolling through goal. Later Gault put in a low drive and Causer getting down too late the ball beat him, but rolling on passed under the stomach and inches beyond goal. Clennell and Gault were very near in placing shots and a fine centre by Gault was caught by Causer.
Clennell’s Penalty Goal
It will be seen that so far Everton had very little trouble in defence, but at this point the home rear division got into a tangle, Barnes following up rigorously and being without a trace was bowled over, Everton buckled to, and Clennell was worming his way through when Threllfall floored him, the Evertonians scoring with the penalty kick awarded. Clennell had thus, at the 15th minute added a point to his already big crop. The penalty seemed to brother Clifton, who apparently revived the memory of the handling case mentioned earlier on Mr. Howcroft, the referee decided to settle the matter once and for all and called the linesman across, pourparters taking place, and a finger pointing to the dressing room suggesting a threat of ordering off. The next point of moment was a fine effort by the unmarked Fay, Mitchell making a brilliant save and being followed by an equally brilliant save by Causer, who took a shot for Wright at point-blank range. Seamen Wright was a lucky forager and went half the length of the field and when the ball was kicked by a Preston man it cannoned off Wright’s body and passed less than a foot wide.
Causer Retires
The collision which unused between Causer and Wright led to the goalkeeper retiring at the end of half an hour’s play. Goddard acting as debuty goalkeeper and J.H Wright dropping to left full back. Goddard’s start was a shaky one, but when Gault tested him with a swift one he caught the ball true and showed that he was no mull at the game. It was three minutes before Causes had retired that Wright scored a second goal for Everton with a header from a perfect centre from Murray, who was putting the ball across with more loft and accuracy than he had shown for some weeks. Up to half-time Everton continued to be easy masters of the situation. There was no further score before half-time.
Half-time; Everton 2, Preston North End 0
Elongated Intervals
All through the season players have been in the habit of stretching the interval periods and today, owing to a late start, a kick-off timed for 2.40 and injuries creating stoppages Mr. Howcroft decided to play straight on. In spite of this, Jefferis and Mitchell went off the field, and Mr. Howcroft determined on play proceeding, although Everton were two men short. Preston did not take advantage of Everton’s lack of numbers but Clennell appearing in the guise of a full back enjoyed some lusty punts, and when the full complement of the Everton team arrived Clennell scored the third goal of the day receiving his chance through a half parry of a centre to the right wing. Much of the interest of the game, which had never been thrilling, faded away, but of course with three goals lead and an amateur goalkeeper in fact Everton had nothing to worry about. Wright and Clennell dovetailed in a passing movement and Clennell was left with the grit and he slammed the ball beyond the bewildered Goddard.
Easy Goal
Goals came quite easily and Wareing headed one five minutes after Clennell had helped himself. Preston should have joined when the home defence lapsed into carelessness but Barlow made a hash of a chance from a ridiculously easy range. In addition to their bundle of troubles Preston had Clinton handicapped with an injured knee. Clifton by the way was now acting as right half-back.
Goal Scorers
Clennell for Everton, scored from penalty Fifteen minutes
Wright scored for Everton, 27 minutes
Clennell scored for Everton after forty five minutes
Clennell scored for Everton after 50 minuets
Wareing scored for Everton after 55 minutes
Clennell scored for Everton –seventy minutes

January 31, 1917, The Evening Express
Joe Clennell was in rare shooting form against Preston on Saturday, and by scoring four of the six goals recorded against North End he has relegated Tommy Bennett to second place, having 30 to his credit against Bennett’s 29. The other goals went to Wright, who goes about his work with commendable wholeheartedness and either Wareing or Wright but it was difficult to see when a corner kick was taken whether the pivot’s header suffered or the centre forward’s final touch was necessary. Clennell began the scoring from a penalty awarded for a palpable foul on himself, but it is questionable if before that North End should not have had one through Robinson handling. Still Joe did not accomplish the hat-trick, as his number were, 1, 3, 4 and 5. Preston were strengthened by Jimmy Fay ad “Dossy” Wright and these two, with Barlow, were the best men the visitors had, but when Causer collided with Wright and had to retire for the rest of the game with strained neck muscle after half-an-hour’s play the chances of Preston vanished, although Goddard, the back, did very creditably when he donned the custodian’s jersey. In the circumstances a criticism of either side is unnecessary, beyond a tribute to the perfect understanding of Clennell and Donnachie who had Threllfall tied up and the general excellence of the halves, of whom Wareing was a host in himself.

December 31, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Clennell got four goals of the six scored by Everton, and Wareing and W. Wright the remaining goals. It was a great game because the odds always on Everton, were greatly increased when Causer had to leave his goal through a collision with the home centre. I saw Causer after the game, and he said he was feeling very dazed, but he thought no bones were broken. His shoulder and neck were very sore. Causer, who is in khaki, will have to have a few days rest ere, he resumes his football and solider work. His deputy, Goddard fared well under the circumstances but anything in the game was taken from it by the contretemps. North End, whose forward work is always weak, hoped by including Fay and Dossey Wright to improve their chances of at least drawing but what are two among so many? The Southport contingent was prominent right through but there was only one side playing football. Everton did not have a big team from Tranmere, but the representatives present, young Bull, who is a tough member, filled his place well in both senses of the term. He has a big kick and is worth going ahead with. There is no need to discourse upon the winners side, save to mention that Murray one time centred well only to fade away into his wasted centers again. He should take pattern by Donnachie, who rarely puts the ball behind. Oh, this one other matter. Accidents and a late kick-off led to Mr. Howcroft decreeing that no interval should be taken. Two Everton players went off for a while and Mr. Howcroft was well within his rights in ordering resumption with Everton short-handed.








December 1917