Everton Independent Research Data


December 4, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Evertonians were considerably unlucky in failing to secure at least one point at Sunderland on Saturday. It was they who opened the scoring and then temporarily lost their balance. They played extremely clever football at times, but once having lost ground never appeared able to recover it. The contest was exceptionally fast, with the Sunderland vanguard the better of the two rival forces. They showed superior skill and combination to that exhibited by Chadwick and his wings, but their victory by 3 goals to 1 rather over emphasises the actual run of the play. There is no disguising the fact that the Wearsiders are just at present a supremely strong side, every department being well equipped. Yet generally speaking, they were well held by the Everton defenders, except for the trio of shots that finally found the net.

Considering the early start there was quite a good gate when the game commenced and the spectators soon realised that they were to see an especially keen game. Much interest was taken in the appearance of Peacock at inside-right, and it may at once be said that this player gave an excellent account of himself. After the opening exchanges the Everton forwards settled down in a most promising fashion, and following upon a raid in which Hawes tested Harland, Reid initiated a movement which led to Chadwick beating the home keeper with a very fine shot. From this point the pace became even greater, the Sunderland forwards led by Paterson, being frequently dangerous. Fleetwood laid himself out to shadow the fast and tricky centre-forward of the home side, but he was unable to hold him when, from a pass by Buchan, the player named scored an equaliser. A free kick in favour of Everton just outside the penalty line went astray, and two minutes before the interval Paterson secured a second goal. Thus the Wearsiders led at the turn by 2 goals to 1.
In the second period the visitors showed better combination, and many of their flashes along both wings were very pretty to witness. The Sunderland defenders, however, presented a bold front to all these attacks, and their discomfiture was completed when Buchan got through on his own account and scored. The strenuousness of the struggle was maintained up to the end, and with the slightest finger of good fortune the visitors might well have reduced the balance. Parker proved such an able pivot that this much desired effect was not attained, and there was much cheering when the home team retired victors by 3 goals to 1.

The inclusion of Peacock in the forward line was as we have intimated, quite a success, and Chadwick showed increasing very capable wing, the outside man showing improvement. Williams and Reid made a team and both were speed and dexterity. Grenyer at left half-back seemed overwhelmed by the tremendous onslaught of Donaldson, and Buchan. The Latter, indeed, was the most conspicuous figure of the twenty-two players. He displayed characteristic cleverness, and to him is mainly due the trio of goals that brought such a valuable brace of points. Fleetwood and Hart showed fine football, and the defence left nothing to cavil at, several of Harland's saves being really wonderful. For the home side, Cresswell gave a magnificent exhibition at full back, and Robson fielded the shots that came to hand with skill and dexterity. Teams : - Sunderland: - Robson, goal, Cresswell, and England, backs, Ferguson, Parker and Poole, half-backs, Donaldson, Buchan, Paterson, Hawes, and Ellis, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Hart (captain), Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Referee JT Howcroft.

December 4, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton Reserves, who had Kemp for Fern in goal, had much the better of the game against Derby County Reserves, at Goodison Park, but had to be content with a division of the points. After only four minutes play Young headed through from a centre by Jones. With the exception of an occasional raid, play was confined to the visitors half, and Boam on one occasion made a splendid save from Virr. Before the interval Derby obtained the equaliser as a result of a mistake on the part of Kemp, who, under the impression, that Livingstone was going to clear, allowed a free kick to enter the net without making any effort to save the shot. Everton continued to do the bulk of the attacking in the second half, but the Derby defence prevailed.

December 4, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
A fast and strenuous game, in which both sides displayed good form, ended in a victory for the visitors. On the run of the game Rainford were good value for their win, as their forwards finished better than their opponents, who in the first half missed several good chances of scoring. The visitors when they secured the lead, early in the second half, had much the better of the game. Williams scored both their goals, and gave Salt no chance of saving either. Five minutes from the finish Dodd scored a clever goal for Everton, and although they made great efforts to obtain an equaliser they failed to again beat the visitors defence, for whom Webster (goal) and Wright (back) were prominent. Salt kept a good goal and was ably supported by Spicer, Helsby, and McGrae.

December 9, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
A drawn game was the result of the meeting of Everton and Sunderland in the return fixture at Goodison Park on Saturday, and all things considered, the result was a fitting end to the contest. Both sides played sparkling football, and the form shown by Everton was much better than for some time. The pace of the first half was not maintained, but the interest never lagged, with both sides on the stretch the full ninety minutes. Everton were unfortunate in having McDonald injured late in the first half, and although he came on after the interval he quickly found himself unfitted for his usual position, and went to outside left, where he was little more than a spectator. Hart took the rare position, and Reid went to left half, and both did exceptionally well. Not for some time has there been such a wealth of direct shooting at Goodison Park. It was not always accurate, sometimes very inaccurate, but it did added zest to one of the best games of the season. Sunderland lived up to their reputation, and the footwork of the forwards was at times very fascinating, while the Everton forwards played with a heartiness that has long been absent.

The inclusion of Peacock in the forward line was certainly a success. He added weight and force to the attack, and when he headed Everton's goal the outburst of cheering emphasised the crowd's improval. Chedgzoy was more in touch with the line, and he found Peacock an excellent partner. The left wing was of course, disorganised though McDonald injury, but both Reid and Williams did well in the early stages and Chadwick was a keen shooter. The half-back line was exceptionally strong, and Brown, Fleetwood, and Hart would appear to be an idea combination. Hart certainly played one of his best games, and he filled McDonald's place with great credit. Raitt was uncertain in the opening stages, although he improved as the game progressed and McDonald was a great force till his injury laid him aside. Harland gave another sound display, and so too, did Robson the Sunderland goal. The Sunderland backs were well tried, and in the early stages, when the Everton attack was very tenacious, their responded with fine work. Buchan's artistry was obvious in all his movements. He always moved with a style, and his masterly skill frequently gave Donaldson ideal openings. The latter was prominent by reason of his clever control and accurate centres. Paterson did good footwork in the centre, but the left wing was weak.

Everton had much the better of the opening play, for they were a shade smarter on the ball, and combined well. Chadwick and William were prominent, with good shots, and Brown was also on the mark with a long drive. After Harland had punched out a fine attempt by Donaldson, Peacock scored for Everton at the end of seventeen minutes' play. It was a wonderful effort on the part of Peacock, for the ball came to him from Hart in an awkward position, but he got his head to it, and glided it just under the bar. The goal added vigour to the Sunderland attack, and Hawes, Paterson and Ellis were very little wide with good shots. Sunderland tried long shooting, and in the bad light it was a wise move. Some delighted footwork between Paterson and Buchan presented the latter with a glorious chance. He could have walked the ball into the net, but sent it high over the bar. Sunderland continued to have more of the attack, and the contest increased in interest. The Everton goal had another narrow escape when Hawes met a centre by Donladson, and with a hard drive hit the foot of the upright. Buchan was in resplendent mood, and he gave some of his most delightful touches. Early in the second half, Raitt saved the Everton goal when he kicked the ball off the goal line as Paterson headed in. The pace slackened and players was not so keen. Buchan equalised at seventy minutes by converting a centre by Ellis. It was a very simple yet well executed movement, and Harland had no chance of stopping the shot. Everton made a great fight of it, although their ranks were disorganised, and Robson caught a long ball from Chedgzoy that almost deceived him. Teams : - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt and McDonald, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Sunderland: - Robson, goal, Cresswell, and England, backs, Ferguson, Poole, and Andrews, half-backs, Donaldson, Buchan, Paterson, Hawes, and Ellis, forwards. Referee JT Howcroft.

December 11 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
A fast even game was seen at Derby, where Everton luckily established an early two goal lead. The first came though Harrison being allowed to proceed from an offside position, and McGiney easily converted his centres. After twenty minutes Jones scored a second with a long dropping shot which Boam should have saved. Derby played up pluckily, and were the better-balanced side, but until Stokoe reduced the lead after thirty minutes, their forwards showed wretched shooting. Although Derby had only ten men, Robson being injured. Everton's defence was extended to the full, and only the splendid defensive work of Downs, and Livingstone, who covered Kemp well, kept Derby out. The visitor's attack was ragged in the centre, but Harrison and Jones were fast and dangerous wingers. In the second half Derby equalised through Stokoe with Downs appealing for offside.

December 11 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton had Salt as their goalkeeper at Skelmersdale, but he had not a troublesome afternoon, and would have been undefeated had not Helsby turned a centre into his own goal. Skelmersdale had a mixed forward line, including two former half-backs, and though they did several good things in midfield, they were weak in finishing, and missed several chances in the first half. Helsby showed more confidence in the second half, and with Spicer kept the home forwards at a safe distance. Young was Everton's best forward, though their equalisesing goal came from Dodd in the second half. Denton played well on the Skelmersdale wing, and Barton defended well.

Exeter and Plymouth Gazette - Saturday 16 December 1922
The resignation Mr. Arthur Chadwick who has been manager the Exeter City Football Club since its inception in 1908, at present the chief topic of local football circles. Of course rumour has been at work again, and several quite sensational stories are going the rounds as why Mr. Chadwick is severing his connexion with the Grecians, but i was informed yesterday that there absolutely no split in the Club management, and that the parting is in friendliest of spirits. That Mr. Chadwickó or Arthur, as he is popularly calledówill be missed in Exeter there no doubt, for he has performed some excellent services for the Club, and has been responsible for securing such players as Daisy " Bell, Sammy Johnson, Jack Crelley, Joe Bullock, ' Jimmie Garside, Fred Whitaker, Jack Fort, Frank Cornan (possibly the best forward the City ever had),' Billy Goodwin, Billy Smith, Jack and Jimmie Mitton, Jimmie Makin, and John Dockray, besides many others too numerous to mention. Arthur" was him! self a great footballer, and was one the best centre half-backs of his day. commenced his career with Burton Swifts, and ! then came south Southampton. While I playing for the Saints he assisted his country against Scotland. After successful run with Southampton he joined their near neighbours, Portsmouth, and then assisted Northampton and Accrington Stanley before joining Exeter City player - manager. Mr. Chadwick has worked hard for the City. and his path has been by no means a bed roses." All local football enthusiasts will wish "Arthur" every success the future.

December 18, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The conditions in the capital of the Midlands on Saturday were dismal and depressing, yet the game between Everton and Birmingham was always lively and strenuous. It was scarcely what one would term “class” football, but there was no lack of incident and plenty of excitement to keep the 20,000 spectators who were present in the later stages of the struggle bust cheering. Everton decided to give Fleetwood a rest, and Hart took up the centre-half position. Grenyer being drafted in on the left. Fortunately, this rearrangement did not throw the team out of balance. Indeed in the second half they adapted themselves splendidly to the general conditions, and after they had drawn level they might easily have gained both points before the end came. However, a draw is perhaps the most accurate reflex of a very hefty game.

The home side enjoyed the benefit of the opening exchanges. Everton merely making spasmodic attacks in the first twenty minutes. After this, however, they settled down to vigorous and well ordered football, and from a free kick Hart should have given his side the lead when he shot wildly wide. For some time Birmingham pressed dangerous, Bradford using both his height and weight, while the left wing pair were frequently a source of menace to Brown and Raitt. In two of Everton's advances Peacock was prominent, but he was not permitted to get his shots home. An injury to Linley kept him off the field for a few minutes, but this was counter acted by Chedgzoy becoming partially crocked. The outside right, however, stuck to his guns, and just before the interval he might well have been successful with a long shot. This was negotiated and the interval arrived with nothing having been scored. In the second period of the game the pace fastened agreeably. Both sets of forwards exerted pressure in turn and Birmingham gained the lead through Foxall. It was a rather a curious goal, Bosbury swung the ball straight across and it hit Bradford but the centre forward only just touched it, and Foxall nipping in, netted at close range. Everton replied in the most spirited manner through both Reid and Peacock, but the Birmingham backs showed confidence and sterling powers of recovery. Once Peacock headed the ball in, and it was only the alacrity of Womack, that saved the situation. The visitors however, were not to be denied, and seven minutes from the finish following upon a great rally, Chadwick headed the ball into the net from a corner.

The general display of the Evertonians calls for high commendation. As we have said, they fell into the scheme of things with complete understanding, and if the forwards were a little loose in their finishing touches they kept the home defenders going all the way. Reid was particularly goo, with Peacock on the same level of excellence, and Chadwick showed great improvement. Hart played a very fine game in the pivotal position, and both the backs gave a creditable account of themselves. Without being any specially brilliant team, the Birmingham contingent possesses both speed and weight, of which they make the fullest use. Teams: - Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Womack (captain), and Jones backs, Dale, McClure, and Barton, half-backs, Bosbury, Watkins, Bradford, Linley, and Foxall, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Hart (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Peacock, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid forwards. Referee Mr. WG Day, of Derby.

December 18, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Played at Goodison Park in foggy weather, which at times threatened to bring the game to a premature close. Everton gave a trial run to Irvine who has been on the injured list, at centre forward, and he signalized his reappearance by scoring five of the nine goals. From the start Everton took charge of the game, and the visitors were rarely in the picture. Brown, in goal, could not be blamed for the heavy score against him, as he had a pair of weak backs, in front of him. Irvine got the first goal through misunderstanding between Brown and his backs, and this was soon followed by a second through Miller and a third and four from Irvine. At half time the score was 4 to nil in Everton's favour. The second half, opened with Everton attacking strongly, and with the exception of a few spasmodic raids when Fern had to save from Thompson and Brittle, were penned to their own half. The pressure was so great that Downs and Weller had shots at goal. Irvine quickly put on two more goals, making his total to five. A Birmingham defender put through his own goal. Parry got the eight and Virr the ninth. All the Everton players gave a good display.

December 23, 1922. The Liverpool Echo
First readers let me with you and yours the heartiest and most pleasant Christmas you have ever spent. Next let me say that Goodison Part today seemed to show a lot of Christmas “spirit” in the spectators' portion, but on the field there was spirit of another character –both Everton and Birmingham wanted to start their holiday session with a victory. Everton brought in Jones for Chedgzoy; injured, and Fleetwood returned to his customary place after one of his rare absences through illness. Chedgzoy, I hear, is likely to be fir for Monday, Birmingham made changes and hoped to go further than last week, in the results column. Teams: - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, goal, Brown Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs Jones, Peacock, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Womack (captain), and Jones, backs, Dale, McClure, and Barton half-backs, Bosbury, Whitehouse, Bradford, Linley and Foxall, forwards. Referee WG. Day.

After Birmingham had kicked off, it was plain to see that the ground was going to play tricks with the ball and the man. Early on Raitt indulged in a dribble that was dangerous. He recovered and Williams went away on the left with an bonny a run as one could wish for.

Staffordshire Advertiser - Saturday 23 December 1922
Everton Footballers at Brine Baths.
Following the practice adopted in past seasons, 26 members of the Everton football team visited the Royal Brine Baths, Stafford, on Monday. They were in charge Mr. Makepeace and Mr. J. Elliott, trainer.

He crossed the ball to inside right, and if Peacock had been half a yard faster a goal must have been half a yard faster a goal must have came. I understand Williams played a great game at St. Andrews's. Well, he now opened like a star of stars, and his ankle passes together with his bewildering of Dale, were a delight to the crowd. He went right through the opposition a second time, and again centre to the inside right position. Chadwick was not too well placed, and when he made an attempted fierce drive he simply kicked all round the ball. Bosbury, who has not been here before, came into the forefront, and his duels with Livingstone were worth seeing. Hart bumped Bosbury and gave a corner, and then Birmingham came to reasonable form in attack. Linley made a good shot, and it was well that Harland kept a good position and parried the ball away. Birmingham were more dangerous in the next movement, which ended with Whitehouse hitting a ball knee high, Harland being beaten and Raitt unavailingly trying to head way. Fortunately Whitehouse was inches wide. Matters were not improved when Raitt again dribbled without winning.

However, after Bradford had copied Chadwick by failing to hit the greasy ball in the right manner, Everton got their best work on the Birmingham defence, Chadwick after being high over with a shot, made a deliberate header that forced Tremelling to punch away. Jones and Reid had supplied the centres which brought Chadwick's shot, but when next Chadwick made a shot he had no one to thank, because it was a first time shot that he delivered and was only inches wide. Williams was likewise after Peacock, and Reid had done some excellent grafting, but in the meantime (22 minutes) Bradford had scored for Birminghamm. It is a habit he has developed this season.

He was assisted in this, the opening goal, by the fact that first Raitt had kicked a clearance and second Livingstone in trying to head away, ran into one of his own side. Everton looked glum about the surprise goal, yet within six minutes Chadwick had scored the equaliser and two minutes later Jones had taken the lead for the home side. This is how the turn of the tide arose, Hart, in almost the same position as in the game v Sunderland, with practically the same endeavour, led to a goal. First of all Hart threw in quickly, and Reid gave his captain the ball.

Hart pretended to kick to the middle, changed his mind, hoodwinked the defence, and centred for Chadwick to head through. Two minutes later came that special jog of a Jones goal. It is worth noticing that Jones has not played for the first team since the opening game of the season. It is even more worth while noting that Tremelling should have saved Jones shot. One of the best features of the making of the last goal was the fact that peacock back heeled the ball, and thus let in Chadwick for a pass to the right wing. Everton were now in fine feather, and when Harland made a slide but was able to glide Foxall's great drive out of the way the crowd cheered heartily. Both captains were now hurt, Womack so much so that he went outside right, Whitehouse falling into full back. Hart recovered the quicker, and it seemed that Womack had been dazed by his collision with Chadwick. Half-time Everton 2; Birmingham City 1.

Womack was still at outside right when the game resumed, and it was a very heart resumption, because after Foxall had made a centre that was a trifle too fast for Bosbury to negotiate, Chadwick made a shot that hit a full back's head, and later the same forward was ploughing –and he had men on either side of him, at the back of him, and only Tremelling in front –Chadwick shot, and luckily for Birmingham the ball hit Tremelling's legs. Chadwick a third time was near goal, and headed a trifle high. Whitehouse was making a very useful back, even though he found touch a trifle too often; he was stout in his clearances, and stoutly built; while his partner Jones had done nothing better till now than take a free kick which went very close.

McClure at centre-half, is an Englishman, and he found Chadwick very hard to control. One of Mac's clearances landed the ball into Bullens road –a thing that has not happened for years. The goalkeeper today was of first class order. Tremelling saved unexpectedly when Chadwick shot, and Linley after a breakaway by Besbury, together with another back heel movement, made such a sure low drive, that everyone thought the scorers had been equalised. However, Harland dived along the turf and in spite of the mud bath, he was able to get his knockers to the ball. It was a great save and it was good to see Bradford miss a fire a minute afterwards, because at this moment. Everton were tiring and the Birmingham forwards were showing nippiness that did not hint the inclusion of a full back at outside right.

Everton did net the ball, and the bogey, offside, led to its disqualification. The man who said he would “eat the hat” if Chadwick was a footballer must have opened his eyes today, for Chadwick played first-class football. It may be that Chadwick likes the mud. Whatever it is, he could be written down as the most successful forward to-day, even if he took time to get on the move. McClure made one chance shot that did not beat so good a goalkeeper as Harland, yet one could not help being impressed by Birmingham's pressure and Everton's half back reliability. Chadwick took a free kick for a foul (the referee not only did not allow a shoulder charge, but also cautioned the offender), and Tremelling fell to the ground without losing “the grip of iron.” Referee Day failed to notice a foul on McClure, and discovered another one against McClure which was not genuine. Chadwick took the free kick to some tune, and caused Tremelling to punch away. A moment later the same goalkeeper cleared another one from Chadwick, who had headed in from a Jone's centre. The home left wing had gone somewhat out of the picture, and the right wing had come to the best form.

December 27 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
After their victory over Birmingham on Saturday, Everton were expected to further improve their position as the result of Manchester City's visit to Goodison Park, but few of the players maintained their form, and a moderate game ended in a goalless draw. Chadwick, who led the line so effectively on Saturday on Saturday, could do little right, and his shooting was rarely accurate. Peacock was the best of the forwards, who although good up to a point failed badly in front of goal. Tom Fleetwood stood out among the half-backs on both sides, his offensive work being particularly good. Livingstone was cool and resourceful, his clearances to the wings often being the means of providing an opportunity for a raid on the Manchester goal. Harland amongst other good work, saved a penalty kick , which Browell shot straight at him. Teams : - Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Jones, Peacock, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Manchester City: - Mitchell, goal, Wilson, and Allan, backs, Sharp, Hamill, and Pringle, half-backs, Browell, Roberts, Johnson, Barnes and Murphy, forwards.

December 27 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
No details in local papers.

December 27, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.

Playing before 30,000 spectators on their own ground at Hyde-road, yesterday, in the return encounter with Everton, Manchester City fully justified expectations by returning a victory of the odd goal in three. It was not by any means a high-class exhibition of the code, there being very noticeable lack of cohesion in the play of both teams; but seeing that the majority of the players had taken part in three matches during the last few days, severe criticism would be rather unfair. Everton were perhaps the greater sinners in respect of missed chances, for their forward movements lacked the sting which opposition generally imparted, and Chadwick was often at fault.

All the same it was only in the dying moments of the game, and after 31 minutes had elapsed in the second half that the Citizens made the issue safe with a second goal from Barnes, who headed though a delightful centre from Frank Roberts. Prior to this happening each side had been successful in registering one goal as a result of a tremendously fast first half. The City opened the score within nine minutes, when Murphy centred with accuracy and Roberts drove the ball over the outstretched arm of Harland into the net. It was a splendidly obtained goal, but not one whit superior to that by which Everton equaised at the expiration of twenty-five minutes. This goal, scored by Williams, was the result of sustained pressure and wonderful short passing, in which each of the forwards took a hand so that the City defence was left dumbfounded. When Williams shot he was absolutely unmarked, and his task was an easy one but the goal was thoroughly deserved. Just prior to this event Irving had struck the bar and Chadwick had missed an open goal, while City had suffered a misfortune in the injury to Hamill, who was practically a passager for the remainder of the game. Teams:- Manchester City: - JF Mitchell, goal, Wilson, and Calderwood, backs, Sharp, Hamill, and Pringle, half-backs, Browell, Roberts, Johnson, Barnes, and Murphy, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt, and McDonald, backs, Brown, Fleetwood, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Parry, Irvine, Chadwick, Williams, and Reid, forwards. Referee, MR JT Howcroft (Bolton).

December 27 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. Everton fully deserved their win, although if the visitors first half display had been up to the standard of the second half, the margin would not have been so big. Throughout the first half Everton were easily the superior team. Their combination was good, and the halves rendered the forwards effective support, while the defence was steady and reliable. The City seemed unable to make any headway, and rarely was Fern tested. Everton gained two penalties in the first half, and Harrison converted both. Although Wilkins in the City goal saved the first, the Everton winger netted from the rebound. The game had only been in progressed ten minutes when Young scored the first goal. Then followed the penalties and close on the interval Harrison tricked two opponents, and completed the “hat-trick.” After the interval Manchester played like a different team. The forwards adopted the short passing game, and the halves, in addition to breaking up the Everton attack, rendered the forwards good support, whilst the backs were more certain in their punting. Occasionally the home goal had narrow escapes and Fern made some smart saves from Warner. Jeffs was Everton's most prominent player, his individual efforts on three occasions almost being fruit. McGrae scored Everton's fifth goal.

December 27, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
A strong Everton “A” team visited Ellsesmere Port yesterday, and played the Mersey Ironworks in a friendly game for the benefit of Sam Kay of the Ironworks team, who recently broke his leg. Twenty minutes from the start McGivney opened the scoring for Everton with a fine goal, but later he found Llowarch, in the home goal, difficult to beat. Green, the visitors centre forward scored a second with a first time shot from Rimmer's centre. For the first twenty minutes of the second half Everton forced numerous corners without success, and after McGivney had missed with a penalty kick he scored a third goal.




November 1922