Everton Independent Research Data


December 1, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
George Harrison, the Everton outside left, was the last evening transferred to Preston North End. He should prove a capable recruit for the present wooden spoonists, for he has been showing fine form with the Blues Central League team, and can deliver a powerful left-footed drive that can score without the help of the inside forwards. Coming to Everton a couple of seasons before the war from Leicester Fosse, along with Thompson a full back, who has now retired from the game, he has proved a most useful servant to the Everton Club. Prior to the signing of Troup he was the first choice for the outside left berth, but with the arrival of the little Scottish International during he lean days of last season. Harrison was relegated to the reserves notwithstanding a certain amount of popular clamour, for the player was always a favourite with the spectators. To an extent a player of Harrison's ability was wasted in the Reserves, and some time ago his name was connected with Manchester United, but it remained only a rumour.

Nottingham Evening Post - Saturday 01 December 1923
Preston North Knd signed on George Harrison, the Everton and England international outside-left, yesterday afternoon. A native of Church Gresley, played for Gresley Rovers before passing to the Leicester club, and joined Everton in the summer 1913. He played for England against Ireland in 1922, but, with the advent of Troup last season his chances in the first team became limited. Still, Harrison is a fast and clever raider, possessed a powerful shot, and, standing 5ft. 8in., weighs 11st. 71b.

December 1, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton match with Birmingham at Goodison Park should prove an interesting game for the visitors are improving weekly to the advent of Islip, the Huddersfield man who has proved an excellent partner to Bradford. The blues will be all out to avenge disaster at the Hawthorn last Saturday, it was too bad to be true, and it is quite that they will repeat last season's home result. Of course, McDonald, whose nose was broken last week, will be away, but Raitt by many competent judges to be the best back in the Everton side –will take his place. A great deal depends upon Neil McBain's to smother the elusive Bradford, but so to is the Scot been playing lately that no fairs need be felt on this score. The Blues need today is more thrust in the forward line, especially with the inside men Jack Cock unselfishness has been over done in recent matches, and a few more efforts would be greatly to the benefit of the team in general. The Birmingham rear guard is a bustling, vigorous combination, but is a suspicion of anno domini about it, which may prove a drawback in dealing with the wingers like Troup and Chedgzoy. Everton Fern, Raitt, Livingstone, Brown, McBain, Hart, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, Birmingham City: - Tremelling, Ashurst, Womack, Daws, Cringan, Barton, Harvey, Crosbie, Bradford, Islip, and Clarke.

December 3, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By Adams.
To Paraphrase W.S. Gilberts: -
Both of the teams were strong and stout.
And, considering all things, clever.
And as to the result: - of that there was no possible doubt,
No possible, probable shadow of doubt.
No shadow of doubt whatever!
The analogy between the game at Goodison Park and varoy opera might be carried still further, for it was a capital entertainment, with a stirring curtain to the end of each of the two acts. Cock scored a goal two minutes from half-time, and Hart scored a lucky one just on the final minute, the Blues just wining by two clear goals.

It may be written that Everton deserved to win by a greater margin, for the game, with a few moments;' exception, was theirs through out, and had the surface of the field been less glue-like, and Tremelling less agile, more goals would have accrued. Still, "considering all things," it was a fine victory, and Jack Cock's point will act as a tonic to him just when it was most needed. The men from St. Andrews have quite a good side, but their defence is greatly superior to their attack, even with the great Bradford as leader. The coming International was wonderfully well held by McBain, and if these two, as is quite likely, meet in the England-Scotland game the fur should fly in earnest. Bradford is a fine centre, but he cannot carry his side on his own shoulders. He received little support from Islip and Crosbie, while both wings, Harvey and Clarke, were either hampered by the bog or were physically too slow. Cringan, the centre-half promises to make a good pivot, but Daws is inclined to "rough it," and should be told to moderate his transports. Womack and Ashurst kicked a heavy ball very well, while Tremelling was time and again the saviour of his side.

It there be a better half-back line in England than Everton's at the present minute, I have yet to see it. All three men dominated the play throughout, and Hart was in rare form. Raitt played a forceful and resourceful game in place of McDonald, and Livingstone improves with every match. Fern had a holiday. The front five showed a refreshing tendency to shoot often and hard, and the ball was slung about in quite a novel way for Goodison Park. Chedgzoy was in the wars, and so was Troup, but both produced high-class football. Cock was entertaining in circumstances alien to his liking while Irvine and Chadwick deserved better luck in first-time efforts. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Ashurst, and Womack (captain) backs, Daws, Cringan, and Barton, half-backs, Harvey, Crosbie, Bradshaw, Islip, and Clarke, forwards.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 03 December 1923
The visit of to Leeds Road on Saturday attracted 2,500 spectators, and a interesting game ended well-merited victory for the home team. Huddersfield were the superior force and Brown gave them the lead after 13 minutes play. Everton's spasmodic attacks brought an equaliser before the interval, Swindells netting from close range. In the second half strong and persistent attacks by the home forwards resulted in Brown adding further two goals. Everton's front rank was subdued by the capable defence of Cawthorne and Gray, and Boot, the custodian, held what waa practically a watching brief. Huddersfield's success was largely due the virile raids initiated by Richardson and the opportunism of Brown at centre forward. A. W. Smith was the most successful of the half-back trio. Result : Huddersheld Town 3 goals; Everton 1 goal.

December 3, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Everton Reserves were well beaten in their match at Huddersfield. The home team were thoughout the game more aggressive, but the Everton defence was sound and effective. Harland played well in goal and repeatedly saved his side by excellent anticipation. The half-back line was only moderate, and Williams was the most virile forward on the Everton side. Brown completed the "hat-trick" for Huddersfield and Swindles scored Everton's consolation point.

December 6 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
The first of the Liverpool Senior Cup semi-finals provided a scrappy game in a very bad light at Goodison Park, yesterday, when Everton and Liverpool divided a couple of goals. The fog was so thick that for most part it was practically impossible to follow the play on the far side of the ground. Liverpool were rather the more direct in their attacks, and opened the score after 25 minutes through Owen. The centre seized on a pass, and with a clear course down the middle of the field took the ball to close range before defeating Harland, who was given no chance to save. Liverpool continued on the aggressive until nearing the interval, when Parry the Everton winger, got the better of a duel with his namesake and cut in towards goal.

He was heavily brought down inside the penalty area, and the referee awarded the Blues a penalty kick from which Peacock levelled the scores. This was the state of affairs at the interval and though Harland saved in capital fashion from Keetley, and Forbes went close for Everton, neither side added to the score. The Reds' inside men shot at every opportunity with the result that Harland was more busily employed than Williams, though both keepers made several good saves. Still, the shooting of both sides left much to be desired, with Everton the cleverer quintet in midfield. Forbes who was tried at outside left for the Blues, gave a capital display. He centred accurately, being very nippy and frequenly.came out successful in his tussles with his immediate opponents. All three half backs did well, particularly in serving their forwards, whom they fed with accurate passes, while Downs and Caddick put up a sturdy defence. Parry was the Reds' better back, his interventions being well timed, though he was rather inclined to kick wildly. McDevitt and Pratt were good halves, but the wingmen were prone to waste opportunities and Keetley, Owens and Shone were most prominent of the forwards. Teams : - Everton: - Harland goal, Caddick, and Downs, backs, Peacock, Reid (captain), and Grenyer, half-backs, F. Parry, Swindles, H. Parry, Wall, and Forbes, forwards. Liverpool: - Wilkinson, goal, Evans and Parry, backs Mitchell, McDervitt, and Pratt, half-backs, Gilhespy, Shone, Owens, Keetly, and Chalmers, forwards .

December 8, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
We have not been informed officially as to the constitution of the Everton side against Birmingham, at St. Andrew's today, but it is to be assumed that the same team as last Saturday will do duty. Whether it will carry the Goodison Park, however, to victory again is problematical, for not only are Birmingham an extremely difficult proposition to tackle on their own "midden" but they are dropping one or two passengers for the match, and the re-shuffle appears to make for added strength. At right half the erratic Davis is deposed in favour of Dale, while Wallace Clark, who has signally failed to live up, to his reputation, goes out to give Moses Lane another chance. Johnnie Crosbie, the Scottish International forward disappears, and a Glossop lad, rejoicing in the name of Phoenix make his fourth appearance with the premier eleven. The Birmingham directors believe that these alterations will work to the advantage of the team, which is badly in need of a win or two. The defence is first class a fact amply demonstrated here last week; but although the Bradford –Islip combination is improving week by week there still exists the necessity for fast outside men, who can start quickly and centre on the run. On form, of course today's game looks good for Everton; but so did the match at West Bromwich! In the corresponding game last season there was a draw of 1-1, and it is quite possible history will repeat itself.

December 10, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By Adams.
Who fired that shot?
The truth at once declare, My Lord' 'twas I,
To rashly judge forbear!
One might imagine the above operatic except forming a most successful trio between Tremelling and Ashurst of Birmingham, and Jack Cock, of Everton. All three might lay claim to the distinction of having scored the only goal on Saturday, but probably the two Birmingham men will not care to "make a song about it." It was a most mysterious affair altogether, this solitary winning goal. Troup forced a corner, lobbed the ball slap in front of goal. The next second the Birmingham and Everton players were gaining in stupefaction at the ball in the net. How it get there nobody's knows –not even the referee, who was close up.

From the press box it appeared as if Ashurst, in endeavouring to clear, hit the ball with his arm past Tremelling, but it was officially stated by the home directors at half-time that Tremelling was the involuntary culprit. Cock, however, claims to have headed the ball on the goalkeeper's elbow, and so far as the Everton score-sheet is concerned the credit goes to him; but the referee said after the game that if the ball had not gone over the line he would have given a penalty against Ashurst for handling! There it is –a case of "Who killed Cock Robins?" –and under the circumstances, I will not take the responsibility of robbin' Cock of his reward.

If Everton were distinctly lucky as to his vital goal, there are few who were present at St. Andrew's who will deny that they played delightful football. There were periods when Birmingham were run off their feet, especially in the second half, when one or two rather debatable offside decisions checked dangerous bursts by the inside men. Still, Birmingham were "up against it" on several occasions, once when justifiably they might have had a penalty given them, and again when Islip hit the upright with Fern a spectator five yards away. To be fair, Birmingham played a much better game than at Goodison, although Bradford was obliterated, as before by McBain . Lane was a great improvement upon Clarke, and Pheonix ably supplanted Crosbie. Harvey was the best winger on the field, and Islip very nearly the best inside forward.

A light ball rather bothered Everton in the early stages, but on setting down the constructive play was a treat to behold. The three most improved players in a fine side are Irvine, Brown, and Livingstone. Raitt, too, was a great success. For once in a way Troup and Chedgzoy were rather subdued, the former have one or two raps he did not relish. As to the halves, they stand in a class alone, a fact which Scotland will probably recognise if what I am told is true. Teams: - Birmingham City: - Tremelling, goal, Ashurst, and Womack (captain), backs, Dale, Cringan, and Barton, half-backs, Harvey, Phoenix, Bradford, Islip, and Lane, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone backs, Brown, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee WF. Bunnell.

December 10, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
Huddersfield's fine defence largely determined the result of this game, the light Everton forwards being easily held. It was only when they rearranged their attack in the second half, Forbes taking up the centre forward position that some improvement was shown. Although Everton were frequently in the visitors' half Boot had only two good shots to stop, one by Wall and the other by Swindlels. Huddersfield scored their first goal through Brown, who was the most conspicuous forward on view. The goal followed a corner kick, and Harland was well beaten. The second goal came ten minutes from the interval Roberts being the scorer. With two goals in arrears Everton started well in the second half, and both Walls and Reid made good attempts. H. Parry in the centre, was very weak, and after Johnstone had scored a third goal Forbes went centre and soon reduced the lead with a fine shot. There was then a marked improvement in Everton's play and although they enjoyed most of the attack they failed to score again.

December 10, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Hoylake were rather at Townsend lane to take away the full points. The first half was well contested. Barton, in the opening stages, sent in an excellent shot, which Hale saved. Lawson also saved well from Bullough after good work by Goldberg, Moore opened the score for Everton after 26 minutes, and the visitors equalised through Goldberg close on the interval. The second half furnished some good football, and in turn both teams showed to advantage. The home forwards missed some good chances, and Houghton had a powerful drive well saved by Hale. Cowie put the visitors ahead after Lawson had saved previously from Hodge and Bullough, and Forrest, after some good footwork put the home team on equal terms. Five minutes from time Nelson gave the visitors the winning goal.

December 15, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
The prospects of a win for Everton in their first appearance at Maine road against Manchester City are not enhanced by the inability of Brown to play, and the semi-convalescene of Jack Cock after a severe cold. Brown's absence is more regrettable because it may upset the cohesion of a half-back line, which is the admiration of friends and foes alike. Peacock, who deputises, is however, well acquitted with the methods of McBain and Hart, and the inachinery of the Chedgzoy, Irvine wing,, so that the misfortune of the loss of the clever Scot may be more apparent on paper than in actually. Cock was an extremely doubtful starter last night, but latest information is that he will turn out. Raitt, continues to appear at right back in place of McDonald, a policy justified by his display at Birmingham. The City are not without their troubles, for Roberts, at centre, is not unlikely to be absent. If away, "Boy" Browell will lead the attack and renew acquaintance with old clubmates. Last season Everton were able to extract but one point from their two games with the City –but lost at Hyde-road 20-1 –but the fine new enclosure may suit their style of play better, and it is quite on the cards the "Blues" will achieve their third consective win and the tenth of the season. Their position in the League table in this case will be a gratifying strong one. Teams: - Manchester City, JF Miitchell, Cookson, Fletcher, Sharp, Hamll, Pringle, Morris, Warner, Roberts, Barnes, and Murphy, Everton: - Fern, Raitt, Livingstone, Peacock, McBain, Hart, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock (or Forbes), Chadwick, and Troup. Everton Reserves (v Liverpool Res, at Goodison Park, 2-15) Harland, Downs, McDonald, Rooney, Caddick, and Virr, Parry, Swindells, McGrae, Williams, and Forbes, Everton "A" (v Port Sunlight; at Clubmoor 2-30), Lawson, Davies, Helsby, Rooney, Weir, A.N. Other, Mulholland, Barton, H. Parry, Houghton, and Forrest.

December 17, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By Adams.
It is not in the nature of things that a football team can count on " the little cherub that sits up aloft" as a permanent twelfth member of the side, and if Everton were desperately unlucky to lose to Manchester City, they were extremely lucky the week before at Birmingham. Hence the philosophic calm with which the directors and players accept Saturday's result. It may at once be said that on no occasion this season has Everton played such delightful football. The work of halves and forwards was bewildering, and had the Blues been two or three goals up in the first half few among the 40,000 sportsmen and sportswomen who thronged the fine new ground at Maine Road would have caviled. For at least three parts of the entire game the City defence was on tenterhooks. Shot after shot was rained in from all distances and angles, but on each occasion something went wrong at the critical moment. Once Cock was right through, but his final flick went inches wide with Mitchell on the turf. This was only one instance of the perverse fortune, which followed the Blues' efforts. At times the home halves and backs were made to look like novices, and the big crowd gasped with mingled admiration and apprehension. "The most wonderful football we've seen this season" said one of the City directors at half-time.

However, it usually follows in this sort of game that the unexpected exercises a levelling influence, and after 25 minutes' play an awkwardly-bouncing ball on the unsettled turf caused hesitation in the Everton defence, and Roberts, the opportunist, ran through to beat Fern at the record attempt. It was a calamity of the first magnitude, but the Blues if possible, played better football afterwards than before. Still, it was ten minutes from time when Troup worked an opening, which allowed Cock to walk the ball into the net and score a loudly applauded equaliser. "This is where you ought to declare the Everton innings closed," said a friend to Jack Sharp, the Lancashire cricket captain and Everton director. Alas, just as hundreds were leaving the ground Raitt and Livingstone impeded each other, the latter miskicked, and Barnes fastened on to the ball ran in to defeat Fern and thus the history of last season repeated itself in a 2-1 win for the City.

In a remarkable game the outstanding players on the Everton side were, in the forwards, Troup, Chedgzoy and Cock, the latter giving his best display of the season. Irvine had countless shots at goal but had left his shooting boots in the dressing-room, and Chadwick was just a trifle on the slow side, although he never neglected a chance of a "pot." The half-backs again played a splendid game, and Peacock ably deputised for the injured Brown. Both Hart and McBain were at the top of their form, and Raitt and Livingstone are more to be congratulated than blamed. Fern had little to do, did it masterfully. Murphy was a great winger for the winners, and Warner showed considerable enterprise. A sensational move of his at the kick off provided a big thrill and the novel spectacle of a goalkeeper saving in less than ten seconds. Roberts was always dangerous when he got the ball, and Barnes got his customary goal. So supreme were Everton in midfield that the home halves and backs were mostly on the run, but it is a striking commentary on the ill-luck which attended the Blues finishing that Mitchell had had one difficult shot to stop during the contest . Manchester City: - Mitchell, goal, Cookson, and Fletcher, backs, Sharp, Hamill, Pringle, half-backs Morris, Warner, Roberts, Barnes, and Murphy, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. JR. McFarlane.

December 17 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
At Goodison Park. Liverpool turned out a strong side including Longsworth at right full back. Everton had to play a purely third team half-back line owing to illness and other causes, but it must be said they acquitted themselves creditably. During the first half Everton were certainly the more aggressive side, and McGrae, in the centre, fed his wings with fine judgement. Consequently, Forbes and Parry, on the wings, sent in many fine centres, which ought to have been converted. Wilkinson had far more work to do than Harland, and had it not been for his fine anticipation, Everton would have had a comfortable lead at half-time, which arrived without any score. When the second half opened Liverpool improved greatly, and for some time held the balance of play, during which time Keetley, through fine individual work, opened the score for Liverpool. Then Everton fought hard for the equaliser, and both Downs and Swindles went very close. Shortly before the close Liverpool made a strong advance through good wing work by Shone and Gillespie, and a fine shot by the latter was met by Keetley, who headed past Harland. Everton's forwards were very energetic, and although many fine attempts were made to score, including fruitless penalty taken by Virr, they were unfortunate in being beaten. For Everton, Downs, Caddick, Rooney, McGrae, and Forbes were most prominent, and Liverpool were best represented by Wilkinson, Longsworth, McDevitt, Gillespie, and Keetley. Everton: - Harland, goal, Downs, and McDonald backs, Rooney, Caddick, and Virr, half-backs, Parry, Swindles, McGrae, Williams and Forbes, forwards .

December 17, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Although having to make changes from the originally selected side, Everton had little to accounting for Port Sunlight at Townsend-lane. In the opening stages the visiting forwards were very smart, but were up against a strong defence in Davies and Helsby. Barton gave the Blues the lead, after ten minutes and later Luxham sent in a hot shot from close range, which Lawson saved well at full length. Parry had a fine chance of increasing the lead, but with only Connell to beat he shot wide. Moore added a second for Everton, and Sweeney reduced the lead before the interval. The second half saw some good football by both sides, but Everton proved the more aggressive, Barton, Parry, and Houghton scoring four goals for them, while Sweeney and Loxham (penalty) added goals for the visitors. Davies, Rooney, Mulholland and Barton played well for the home tea, while Gale. Loxham, Scott, and Sweeney were the pick of the losers . Everton: - Lawson, goal, Davies and Helsby, backs, Rooney, Weir, and Moore, half-backs, Mulholland, Barton H. Parry, Houghton, and Forrerst, forwards.

Nottingham Evening Post - Wednesday 19 December 1923
Northern Section, last night signed on G. Beare, outside-right, of Cardiff City. Beare formerly played for Everton.

December 22, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
If Everton play the same type of football that they did at Maine-Road last week, and have just the tiniest bit of luck, they should have no difficulty in turning the tables on Manchester City. Their display on Saturday, on a boggy, unsettled new turf, was a masterpiece, and the directors wisely have selected the same side, which includes Peacock at right half in place of Brown, whose strain, contracted at Birmingham is still troublesome. If any criticism be needed it is that the Everton forwards, who are nowadays showing commendable enterprise in having a go at goal whenever occasions offers, should modify their transport when they get the ball twenty or thirty yards out. There were several shots at Manchester, which, quite clever in their conception had lost all sting when they reached Mitchell. It is, however, only fair to the players concerned to state that they were "riding to order." In the City team Calderwood comes in vice Fletcher who sustained an injury. The Blues' position in the table is such that a win to-day and another on Boxing Day, when they entertain Sunderland, would put them in the first three, and all good sportsmen will wish Hunter Hart and his merry men a good appetite and a contended mind, more especially as for once in a way, they dine at home!

Dundee Courier - Monday 24 December 1923
Everton have come to terms with the Bathgate officals for the transfer of Jasper Kerr, left back.  The actual transfer is now left in the hands of the player himself, whom the Everton officials hope to persuade to go South.  Kerr came to Bathgate last September from Larkhill Thistle. 

December 24, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By Adams.
That Everton obliterated Manchester City by six goals to one is not surprising as the fact the final score was not double. It was not a football "match" at all. It was a prolonged shooting practice for the Blues, who simply made hay of their opponents while the rain fell. As the score indicates, comment is more or less needless. There are, however, one or two outstanding incidents, which may be set on record. Of the six goals scored by Everton, no fewer than four came successively from Chadwick, whose season's tally is now sixteen, a total equalled only by Charles Buchan, who by the way, will be in antagonism to Chadwick at Goodison park on Boxing day. Three of the goals were the result of splendid opportunism, the fourth was from a penalty kick , which Mitchell never saw. (Chadwick grassed by Cookson-Echo)

Another point to note was the confidence attending the City's only score, for the two players principally involved were those concerned in an almost exactly similar affairs at Maine-road the week previously. Livingstone miskicked, and Barnes ran through and scored a cool goal. The criticism might be ventured that of the Everton team the backs were the weakest link, although it is only human nature to take risks when the men in front are in such wonderful form. Of the forwards it would be impossible to speak too highly. Each of them was at the top of his form, although Chedgzoy and Troup did not score they had a big hand –or foot –in each of the points. Chedgzoy had a regular field day, and he made Pringle and Calderwood look like novices. Troup never wasted a ball, and the very first time he received a pass his centre to Irvine was so perfect that the Irishman had time to sing a couple of verses of a Christmas carol before beating Mitchell, Cock, who has been on the up-grade for a month, gave a sparkling display, and a common sense referee Mr. MaFarnace of Mold, gave him legitimate immunity from his usual "off-side" fate. The halves were splendid, and the City forwards were never allowed to get going in combination. It is true, however, that Sharp, Hamill, and Pringle were far too busy to attempt to feed their front line. With the result that spasmodic breakaways were the City's only visible means of attack.

Fern began his Christmas holidays before he hoped to. His vis-à-vis the amateur Mitchell, will not soon forget his ordeal. With a big peaked cap pulled down the shield his spectacles from the rain, he presented a perfect picture of harassed anxiety, but, nevertheless, did much better than the score against him would indicate. With Everton in such remarkable form, and fielding the same team, the game on Boxing Day at Goodison Park against Sunderland should produce football worth going a long way to see. Teams: - Everton: - Fern goal, Raitt, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Manchester City:- JF. Mitchell, goal, Cookson, and Calderwood, backs, Sharp, Mamill, and Pringle, half-backs, Morris, Warner, Roberts, Barnes, and Murphy, forwards. Referee, Mr. JR McFarlance.

December 24, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The return fixture at Anfield was played before a small attendance. Considering the heavily state of the ground, both sides played well. The first half was very evenly fought, and each goalkeeper had some well-directed shots to contend with. Everton were the first to score after 35 minutes' Parry when centering the ball, was assisted by his namesake, the Liverpool back edging the ball to the foot of Williams, who made no mistake in beating Wilkinson. In the last half minute before the interval Wadsworth rounded Caddick and scored a fine equaliser. Everton were overplayed in the second half, but the defence of Harland, Caddick, and McDonald stood the test well, and prevented Liverpool getting the winning point. A fast drive by McDevitt and another by Owen showed Harland in his best form. Parry and Miller were Everton's most dangerous wing, but they were well held by Mitchell, who was the best player on view, Liverpool also played a new outside right in Reid, and his performance was most creditable.

December 24, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
The fixture at Townsend lane resulted in a fast and even game, with honours divided. Although there was a strong wind blowing, neither side scored when they had its assistance, Everton had this advantage in the first half, but Prescot scored twice through Tunstall and Booth, but in the second portion the home side got on level terms though Barton and Parry. A ding-dong struggle than caused for the winning goal, both goals having very narrow escapes but the defence prevailed.

December 27, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By Adams.
Everton were desperately unlucky to lose their ground record yesterday, but they will, I think, admit they could have lost it to no worthier foemen than Sunderland, who, after being in subjection for over an hour, came with a rare rattle to snatch a victory in the last few minutes. It was a tremendous game of contrasting styles, Everton's "pretty-pretty" tactics being nullified by the "sling-it-about" style of the Wearsiders. As a spectacle it will long remain in the minds of the 50,000 odd people who squeezed into Goodison Park. At half-time with the Blues leading by the odd goal in three it looked a gift for them, for not only had Sunderland been rendered impotent by some remarkable work from the home halves and forwards, but their goal scored by Hawes was very doubtful legitimacy, whereas Everton's couple were well worked for and culminated delighted work by the attack.

The first came from a corner by Chedgzoy, whose ball was so accurate that Irvine's flick to Cock was simply walked past McInroy. The second was a gem. Cock's pass out to Chedgzoy was returned to the middle, where the centre forward swung the ball out to Troup The latter carried on up to the line and centred. Irvine jumped for it at the right moment, and McInroy never saw the leather until he picked it out of the net. The second half opening told the same tale of persistent thrust by the Blues, but nothing seemed to go right, despite the undoubted science displayed. Then came the breakaway with which Hart and his men must be all too familiar by now. Paterson fired in a slow 20 yarder with a bit of spin on it. Fern went down, but the ball twisted away from him, doddled to the upright, and turned into the goal.

After this Sunderland played as if inspired, and their vigour rather rattled the defence, which was all at sea five minutes from time, when Buchan was left with an open goal and made no error. In the concluding minutes Chedgzoy nearly made the score equal, but his great effort was just wide. The winners of a great game were best served by their backs, of whom Cresswell was the better, but had little in hand of Troup, and their centre-half, Parker, was consistently sound and sometimes great. Ellis was the better wing, but Buchan, was subdued for three-parts of the match, and only came into his own in the last quarter of an hour. It is a way he has, however, and there can be no caviling at his splendid opportunism. For Everton the halves were again wonderful, although Peacock did not impress so much as he did on Saturday. Troup played his best game of the season, which is "saying a mouthful," as they remark at the Landing stage. Chedgzoy was in top form, and all the inside men displayed great dash and vim.

It may be said, however, that the backs were neither fast nor heavy enough to cope with fast moving forwards, and this fault as before this season, has proved fatal to a side which is admittedly, one of the best attacking forces in League football today. With two stern tussles to face within the next week –the visit to Bolton on Saturday and the return at Roker on New years Day –something will have to be done to strengthen the weak link. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Sunderland: - McInroy, goal, Cresswell, and England, backs, Clunas Parker, and Andrews, half-backs, Grimshaw, Buchan, Paterson, Hawes, and Ellis, forwards.

December 26 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
No details in local papers except score.

December 29 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton take to Bolton today one of the best all-round sides which has ever represented the old club, and the Burnden Park spectators will whatever the result, be assured of a delightful afternoon's football. Whether the Blues' dainty and intricate work will prevail against the robust go-ahead tactics of the Cupholders remains to be seen, but with a little more steadiness in attack in the rear line of defence it is quite on the cards that they may return with a couple of points. If so, it will be way of compensation for a very unlucky defeat by Sunderland at Goodison Park on Boxing Day, when after having two-thirds of the game they went under by a Buchan "special" in the last minutes. Today's game Brown, now thoroughly fit again from his strain takes up his old position at right half to the exclusion of Peacock. This move, one fancies is only dictated by ground conditions for Peacock has played admirably in the last few matches. The official Bolton side contains the name of "Jack," but whether this be David or his younger brother Rollo is not known at this end at the moment of writing. In either case the home side will be well served, for the youngster played a great game at Nottingham on Saturday. The Everton halves will be highly tested today, but there need be no qualms as to their ability obstructive as well as constructive. It should be a great game, and the cheap excursions advertised by the L.M.S.R. from exchange will probably be well patronised. Teams: - Bolton, Pym, goal, Howarth, and Finney, Longsworth, Rowley, and Jenning, Butler, Jack, Smith (JR), Smith (J), and Vizard. Everton: - Fern, Raitt, Livingstone, Brown, McBain, Hart, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards.

December 31, 1923. The Liverpool Courier.
By Adams.
For the second week in succession Everton, after playing ninety minutes' beautiful football, had the mortification of losing both points in a League match. The result at Bolton on Saturday should have been a draw. Several factors contributed to the downfall of the Blues. In the first place they were with Neil McBain, the mainspring of the side; in the second Jack Cock was upset by some bad news of a domestic nature; and in the third, the conditions under which the game was played were deplorable in the extreme, the ground, slightly thawing on top, being as hard as a brick underneath and all against Everton's dainty-embroiled stle of play. Half-an-hour before the advertised time of kicking off it was doubtful if the match would be played at all, so dense was the fog. In addition, Chedgzoy, Hart, and Grenyer (the reserve man) missed a train connection from Manchester and the team and officials were wracked with anxiety. However, the missing ones turned up four minutes from the kick off.

The first half was a give and take sort of affair, in which so far as could be seen, honours, were even, and both sides played remarkable good football in the circumstances. There were no goals at half-time, but Fern had made a wonderful save from a powerful shot by Jack, and Cock had shot into Pym's hands after Irvine had crashed in a beauty on the upright. Bolton had all the luck that was going after the interval, for their first goal was a pure fluke. Vizard ran down and attempted to centre. Fern shaped to receive the obvious drive from the inside forward, but the ball "pulled" in the air, and instead of dropping in front of the posts went over his arm and cannoned off the post into the net. It was this goal which won and lost the match for Everton were rattled at the reverse, and Bolton were correspondingly "bucked," and Jack's second goal was more or less a grit.

The cupholders are a good team this year, and they have in Howarth and Finney two of the best backs, I have seen this season. Both in kicking and tackling they were immense, and Chedgzoy had an anxious afternoon. Troup had few chances, but he was risking nothing on the hard ground, and Howarth was rather flattered. The lengthy Seddon was the pick of the halves, while Butler's runs on the right wing were a feature. Vizard came into prominence in the second half. Taken all round Bolton appeared to adapt themselves better to the conditions, but the forwards and half-backs must learn to restrain a tendency to use their elbows when tackled. It was reassuring to note that Everton backs played a much better game than on the last few Saturdays. Both Raitt and Livingstone were plucky and persevering, while Fern gave a fine display. David Reid, who deputised for McBain was by no means the worst of the intermediate men, whose constructive work under difficulties was constantly recognised by the crowd. Irvine's thrust deserved a better fate, he was the live wire of the Everton attack, although neither Cock nor Chadwick evaded mixing it when it came to a hefty charge in the goalmouth. There were many infringements' principally handling, which Mr. Baker very sensibly overlooked, for on a field such as Burnden Park on Saturday, the ball played all sorts of tricks. Everton go to Sunderland today for their New Year's Day fixture. McBain will not be risked in view of the forthcoming Cup-tie. Cock was yesterday in London at the Redside of his sick mothers, but it is hoped the side will be the same as on Saturday. Teams: - Bolton Wanderers: - Pym, goal, Howard, and Finney, backs, Longsworth, Seddon, and Jennings, half-backs Butler, Jack, JR. Smith, J. Smith, and Vizard, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Raitt, and Livingstone backs, Brown, Reid, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy, Irvine, Cock, Chadwick, and Troup, forwards. Referee Mr. Baker.

December 31, 1923. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.
This match at Goodison Park was played in a mist, which made it doubtful whether the game would be finished, but the interval was cut out, and the game was carried to a conclusion. Considering the conditions, it was quite an interesting match, with Everton attacking most. Sheffield certainly had most of the play during the first half, and fully deserved their lead of a goal scored after twenty minutes' through Harvey, who headed in from a centre by Wilson after the latter player had rounded McDonald. Everton equaliser came through Williams just before the interval, the teams crossing over with one goal each. In the second half Everton had most of the play and continually bombarded the visitors' goal, Miller, in particular, being straight on the target, but brown, the keeper, was in splendid form and repeatedly saved his charge. A second goal fell to the visitors in rather lucky fashion. A misunderstanding between McDonald and Harland gave them the lead, the former intending to place to his keeper, putting the ball into his own goal. Afterwards Everton made strenuous efforts to get on level terms, and did not deserve to lose.









December 1923