Everton Independent Research Data


December 1, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 9, Manchester City 0
Seven Players Score
By Stork.
Everton, at Goodison Park had little difficulty in bringing off a sparkling “double” against Manchester City. The previous Saturday they had pulled the game out of the fire at Maine Road by a late rally, but in the return they won easily by 9-0. With seven of their championship side in the field and the help of guest artistes, Mutch, Preston North End, Keen, Derby County, and H. Jones, West Bromwich, they were too strong a force for the City. Although their opponents occasionally threatened danger, most times they were strictly on the defensive, and Everton were in one of the brightest moods. Scoring started at the eleventh minute, and from then until the end they came with an ease and grace which put City right out of the game. Sagar, while never in the same difficulty, as his vis-a-vis Carey, had one or two tricky shots to deal with, but he handled them in masterly style. There was not a weak link in the Everton team. Each member of the attack scored, sharing seven goals between them, the remaining two going to Cook from the penalty spot, and Eastwood, who put through his own goal. Stevenson scored two goals; but also made smashing drives which narrowly missed. The City fought galliantly. In midfield they did quite well, but there was no finality about their work. Boothway, who the previous week had registered a “hat-trick” never looked like breaking through the Everton defence, and although Doherty pulled out some cuts and canny tricks, he, like the rest was too well looked after to be a danger to Sagar. It was as a team that Everton scored their best victory of the season. The display showed up Everton as one of the best teams in the country. Whenever they moved into attack there was always a shot to follow on, and the defence –their championship defence with one exception –rarely made a false move. Here lie the timetable of the goals and their scorers; Stevenson 11 mins, H. Jones 29 mins; Eastwood 35 mins; Bentham 40 mins; Cook 52 mins; Stevenson 67 mins; Lyon 70 mins; Mutch 85 mins; and Jones 89 mins. Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook, and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Keen (Derby County), and Thomson, half-backs; Bentham, Mutch (Preston North End), Jones (Harry) (West Bromwich), Stevenson, and Lyon, forward. Manchester City:- Carey (Aston Villa), goal; Clark and Walker, backs; Eastwood, Charlesworth (Grimsby Town), and Walsh, half-backs; Dunkley, Fenton (West Ham United), Boothway, Doherty, and A. Wilde, forwards. Referee; Mr. W.H. E. Evans (R.A.F).
• Liverpool drew 2-2 at Manchester United, Dorsset, and Liddell for Liverpool and Rowley (J) (2) for Manchester United.

December 1, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
George Mutch, the Preston North End Scottish international inside-forward, will assist Everton whenever available this season. Mutch made his debut for the Blues on Saturday, when Everton beat Manchester City 9-0 at Goodison Park, and he will play in future when not required by his own club. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly has received the necessary permission from Preston North End, and as Mutch is working with Harry Jones, the West Bromwich Albion forward, who is playing so well with Everton, they will come along together. This is a good “capture.” More pleasing news for the Everton followers is that Red Sagar, their international goalkeeper, expects to move to a new district shortly and that will enable him to play fairly regularly. Ted has been playing with Glentorian and, in fact, helped them to win the Irish Cup!
Five On The Trot.
Everton’s defeat of the City was their fifth win in succession and further emphasised their vast improvement in the last two months. Since October 4 they have lost only one match! This win completed their third “double” of the season, and it was gained in the easiest manner possible. Of course, the game was too one-sided to be a classic, but it was the manner of Everton’s win rather than the win itself which satisfied. Here was scientific effectiveness at its best. The Blues served up flawless football, and the only time the City were in the picture –for about 10 minutes in the second half –it was because Everton eased up. Perfection in positional play masterly of the ball, and exact collaborative sense constituted the fundamentals of a joyous Everton offering. The ball was on the floor, the whole time, hence the reason the tall City defenders were discounted. Yes, and on top of it all came the snappy finishing. Each of the five forwards claimed a goal-Stevenson and Jones had two apiece –and Cook preserved his 100 per cent penalty kicking record while Eastwood put through his own goal to complete a total which brought back memories of Everton’s prodigious scoring feats of 1931-32 season. The defence had a comparatively comfortable time, so well did Keen blot out Boothway and Doherty and Mercer and Thomson were able to gather and follow their natural creative penchant at will. Yes, and the forwards thrived on it. Jones had a fine day between the skilful Mutch and Stevenson but this was not so much a win for individuals as for an entire team.

December 1, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Five wins in a row, with 25 goals to 7 is Everton’s record during November, and with New Brighton and Stockport their opponents this month they play add four more before starting on the cup-ties. Everton, in fact promise to wind-up the first half of the season in great style, particularly as they may be able to field the same side, bar Jock Thomson, as beat City so easily on Saturday. Ted Sagar is coming near home for a two month course, very soon, and hopes to be available frequently, while Mr. Theo Kelly has got Preston’s permission to utilise George Mutch when Preston don’t require him. The Preston man made a big difference to Everton’s attack against City, with the result that Harry Jones did better at centre forward than in any previous match. The Blues, indeed were sound fore and aft, with no weak link, though the 9-0 victory flattered them somewhat. Two goals, at least were due to goalkeeper Carey’s errors of judgement, while City had nothing to show for some good midfield work. There was even one period in the second half when City had the bulk of the attacking mainly because Everton, five goals to the good, decided to rest on their oars. When they began to pull up their socks again, however, City faded right out. The game was too one-sided to be really interesting, though it showed the value of Mutch’s experience, the excellence of Keen at centre half, the brilliance of Mercer, now an every-week affair an Everton attack more balanced and forceful than we have seen for some time, with Stevenson shooter-the-chief, and an impregnable defence. City’s star was Doherty, who did two men’s work all through. Another who took the eye was young Wilde, an amateur outside left, or who, unless I’m mistaken, we shall hear much in the future. He is the most promising lad of his age I’ve seen for some time.

Tommy Jones Honoured
Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 02 December 1941
Tommy Jones, the Welsh captain and Everton centre-half, has been selected to play for the Air Force team to oppose the Football Association at Elland-road, Leeds, on December I3. This is the return match between the teams, the R.A.F. having beaten the F.A. at Bristol 10 days ago. Frank soo, the Buxton-born Stoke City half-back, is also in the team. Frank first came into prominence with Liverpool schoolboys and Prescot Cables. It is interesting to note that the R.A.F. have honoured no fewer than 64 players their in representative matches this season.

December 2, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Merseyside football enthusiasts are to lose their big Christmas treat –the match between Liverpool and Everton which was scheduled to take place at Anfield on Christmas morning. The match will be cancelled because of the decision that Christmas Day shall be the only holiday during Christmas. This means that Football League games arranged for Boxing Day will now be decided on Christmas Day. Consquently Liverpool have now to visit the Victoria Grounds to oppose Stoke City, and Everton will entertain Stockport Country at Goodison Park. I have little doubt that the Reds and Blues will endeavour to strange their meeting for a later date –if cup-ties and league games permitted. This Christmas alteration may be blessing in disguise for clubs were going to find it difficult playing league game on the Friday and then getting teams for the first of the War Cup qualifying competition games on the Saturday. The day’s break will give managers a chance to muster their forces for the cup-ties. Everton’s game with Stockport will take place in the afternoon, but the time of the Stoke kick-off is not known.
Tommy Jones Honoured.
Tommy Jones, the Welsh captain and Everton centre-half has been selected to play for the Royal Air Force team to oppose the Football Association at Elland-road, Leeds on December 13.

December 4, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will field practically an international side against New Brighton in the Football league game at Goodison Park on Saturday. Each of the four home counties will be represented altogether there will be seven full pre-war internationals on view –three English, two Irish, one Scottish, and one Welsh. Of the remainder, one, Greenhalgh, has inter-league honours. Wally Boyes, Ted Sagar and Eric Keen represent England, Sagar is still on leave, and Boyes is due for leave, and so is a certainty. Willie Cook, and Alex Stevenson will represent Irish interests, George Mutch will be the Scot, and Tommy Jones, whom Mr. Theo Kelly hopes will be able to travel from the south, is the Welshman. This, in truth is a galaxy of talent. Keen will revert to wing-half to make way from Tom Jones, and Bentham will go back to right half, allowing Alf Anderson to resume at outside-right. Mercer and Lawton are playing for the Army eleven at St. Andrew’s –a game in which Billy Fagan, of Liverpool will also participate. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tommy), Keen; Anderson, Mutch, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Boyes.

December 4, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Six of Everton’s pre-war side are certainties against New Brighton at Goodison on Saturday, and a seventh (T.G.) Jones is possible. In addition to this array of talent Everton again include Keen, the international half-back, and George Mutch of Preston North End, whose introduction seems likely to solve the problems of attack which have been cropping up intermittently this season. Walter Boyes returns for the game, and Anderson after an buting with Tranmere also comes in again at outside right, so that altogether the Rakers have a tough job on hand, Everton’s provisional side reads:- Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tommy), Keen; Anderson, Mutch, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Boyes.

December 5, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Notes
Everton should win their sixth successive victory tomorrow, for they will field seven pre-war internationals against the Rakers. The Blues are enjoying a wonderful run, and have secured 14 of the last 16 points played for. Internationals, Lawton and Mercer will be absentence, but the Blues can still call on an array of stars, including internationals from all four countries. This is something unique in war-time football. New Brighton seek their first away win of the season, and while there is danger in attack, I do not think their defence will be able to hold up the brilliant Everton attack. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Keen; Anderson, Mutch, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Boyes. New Brighton; Adams; Parker, Lowe; Pilling, Gregson, Hill; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, Leyfield.

December 5, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Had Everton started their all-conquering sequence a little earlier they probably would have been favourities today for not only is their programme easier that those above but they are fielding stronger sides than at any previous period. Against New Brighton, at Goodison tomorrow, for instance, the team includes six of the pre-war champions, and maybe a seventh if Tommy Jones can play, plus guest artists of outstanding ability. This is a tough proposition for the ex-Third Division side to face and while New Brighton if they play as well as at Anfield, will put up a good show, the result ought never to be in doubt. The Rakers hard to beat on they own rather difficult ground, have not had much success away from home. Out of seven games they have drawn three and lost the rest, with an adverse goal average of 9 to 36. Everton; Sagar; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Tom), Keen; Anderson, Mutch, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Boyes. New Brighton; Adams; Parker, Lowe; Pilling, Gregson, Hill; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, Leyfield.

December 6, 1941. The Evening Express
Adams’ Fine Work For Rakers.
By Pilot.
New Brighton included two former Evertonians in Leyfield and Lowe against Everton today at Goodison Park. Everton fielded their all-star team including seven internationals representative of the four countries. Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Tom), and Keen (Derby County) , half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Mutch (Preston North End), Jones (Harry) (West Bromwich), Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. New Brighton; Adams (Burnley) , goal; Parker, Lowe, backs; Hill, Gregson, and Pilling, half-backs; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, and Leyfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. P. Snape (Manchester). The game had only been in progress 30 seconds between when the cleverness of the Stevenson-Boyes combination created an opportunity for Jones, who, however, was brought down in the area by Gregson and Everton were awarded a penalty. Cook took the kick but Adams flung himself out to his right to make a truly brilliant one-handed save, clearing the ball beyond the penalty area. New Brighton made a couple of promising raids, their reward being a corner, and Waring broke through to place into Sagar’s hands. Mutch was responsible for the “donkey” work which led to Everton taking the lead in seven minutes through Harry Jones. Mutch linked up neatly with Anderson and lobbed the return pass to the goalmouth for Jones to head in. Gregson hooked the ball out but it had already cross the line.
Keen Tackling.
The keen tackling of the New Brighton defenders negative many Everton attempts at the close passing game, but Everton were the masters. They had a goal rightly disallowed for offside when Harry Jones just touched a winning effort by Mutch. Mutch bore through on his own to deliver a splendid cross-shot which Adams beat away for a corner. Hill, who is the Everton player on loan to the Rakers, was conspicuous with some neat work against Everton’s clever left-wing triangle. Adams was the hero of New Brighton, making three good saves off Mutch and then going full length to save from Stevenson. Boyes quickly returned the ball to the goalmouth, and Stevenson headed through to put Everton two up in 25 minutes.
Everton Three-up
Everton made it three in 39 minutes when Tommy Jones scored direct from a 20 yards free kick, the speed of the shot completely outwitting Adams. New Brighton had a chance of reducing the arrears when Frost broke through, but he shot outside as Sagar dashed out. New Brighton developed quickly but there was no conviction about their work in the penalty area, and the thrills were provided by Everton. Adams was kept an exceptionally busy young man and he did his work magnificently.
Half-Time; Everton 3, New Brighton 0.
Everton maintained almost continuous pressure in the second half but the New Brighton defence stood up to the task manfully. Everton relied on the football arts, but so good was the Rakers’ defence that they had few opportunities of forcing home a vast territorial advantage. Harry Jones hooked a Mutch shot into the net but he was given offside. Adams continued to give a grand exhibition of goalkeeping and now he made a brilliant save off a header by Boyes, before Harry Jones and Mutch tried to scramble the ball through, but without success. In an isolated Rakers’ attack, Hill made a commendable effort from a free kick, Sagar leaping aside to get the ball away. The Rakers failed to profit by another close-up free kick, and when Everton came back to the attack, Gregson worked like a dozen men in keeping the forwards at bay. In the closing stages Sagar saved from Dellow and Waring. Right on time Harry Jones made Everton’s total four from a centre by Stevenson. Final; Everton 4, New Brighton 0

December 6, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Tom), and Keen (Derby County) , half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Mutch (Preston North End), Jones (Harry) (West Bromwich), Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. New Brighton; Adams (Burnley) , goal; Parker, Lowe, backs; Hill, Gregson, and Pilling, half-backs; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, and Leyfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. P. Snape (Manchester). These was only a handful of spectators to see the Merseyside “Derby” game. Everton were awarded a penalty kick in the second minute. H. Jones being brought down, Cook the automatic selection for spot kicks these days, drove in his usual vicious shot, but Adams, the New Brighton goalkeeper, made a magnificent save. Waring ran the ball almost to the goalline before he scooped the ball up into Sagar’s hands. Immediately afterwards Everton scored. Mutch lobbed the ball into the rakers’ goalmouth and H. Jones nodded the ball into the net. It was kicked out by a defender, but the ball had definitely crossed the line. H. Jones tried to score a similar goal to his first, but was caught offside, and when Mutch made another fine drive it was unfortunate for him that Jones touched the ball in its flight, for it made the point offside. At 25 minutes, Everton made their score two, Stevenson heading a neat goal from Boyes’s centre. Adams half just previously brought off a sparkling save from Mutch. In fact, it was Adams versus the Everton forwards, who were doing almost as they liked. At 35 minutes T.G. Jones took one of his long length free kick and the ball shot into the net like greased lightning. Adams jumped up to save it, but was beaten by its speed.
Half-time; Everton 3, New Brighton 0.
The second half was a replica of the first, in that Everton did all the attacking, although they were not so sure in front of goal. Adams was the stumbling block of the Everton shooters. He made yet another save from Stevenson. New Brighton had more of the game, without, however, being really dangerous. Dellow put a ball on to the top side of the crossbar and Frost gave Sagar a shot to save. H. Jones was palpably offside, though he put the ball into the net after Stevenson had centred. Dellow gave Sagar his most troublesome bit of work in cutting out a cross-drive, but the Everton keeper fielded it like a cricketer. Final; Everton 4, New Brighton 0.

December 8, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 4, New Brighton 0
Adams Keeps Score Down.
By Stork.
After the way Everton had trounced Manchester City, one expected another big goal crop against New Brighton, but it did not materialise because Everton’s forwards were not in the same shooting mood, and secondly Adams, the Rakers goalkeeper, was in fine form. Four clear goals –that was the margin of Everton’s victory –is convincing, but had it not been for Adams it might have been doubted. He started in the first two minutes by making a penalty save from Cook. He had to move to contact the ball, a feat he could not repeat when H. Jones ran in to connect up with Mutch’s centre to steer the ball into the net at seven minutes. Nevertheless it was Adams who kept Everton’s scoring down to reasonable dimensions. A less capable custodian would have been beaten a dozen or more times, for Everton were incessantly attacking. Further goals came to Everton from Stevenson (25 minutes) and T.G. Jones before the end of the first half. Admitting the good display of Adams there were times when Everton seemed bound to end their clever attacks with goals but there were some simple misses. The Everton defence held the New Brighton attack without difficulty, one of the reasons being that the said attack had to fall back so often to help their defence. New Brighton defended galliantly and occasionally showed they, too could frame promising attack but there was no shooting to finish it off. Sagar had a simple task, his best save coming in the second half when he caught cricket-fashion a dangerous effort by Leyfield. The second half was almost a replica of the first, although the fourth goal did not come until the last minute, when H. Jones flicked the ball from a pass by Stevenson beyond Adams. Everton’s half-back line was too solid for New Brighton, Jones (T.G) was defiant and Keen gave a brilliant exhibition. He was better as a wing half than at centre, and that is saying something, while Anderson played his best game since joining the Goodison team. He linked up with Mutch to great purpose, the latter striving desperately for a goal. H. Jones, too, was more dangerous and the others were on top of their job. Attendance 2,577. Everton:- Sagar, goal; Cook and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, Jones (Tom), and Keen (Derby County) , half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Mutch (Preston North End), Jones (Harry) (West Bromwich), Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. New Brighton; Adams (Burnley), goal; Parker, Lowe, backs; Hill, Gregson, and Pilling, half-backs; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, and Leyfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. P. Snape (Manchester).
• Liverpool beat Tranmere Rovers 2-1, Dorsett and Ainsley for Liverpool and Bridges (Penalty) for Tranmere.

December 8, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
When I reached Goodison Park on Saturday I found a new name on the programme. It was one I had never heard of so I set out to find who he was and from whence he came, his name had got on the programme by a mistake, but it will be included in the team next Saturday. The name belongs to a young Scot from the Dunfermline club, who will play at centre forward in the return game against New Brighton. The name is Kinnell. He got in touch with Mr. Theo Kelly for a game with Everton. His request was readily granted with a view to his signing after the war. Everton were much too clever a side for New Brighton, and the four goals does not give a true reflection of their superiority. On the balance of play they should have run into double figures and would have done so had it not been for the wonderful display of goalkeeping by Adams, who started off the day’s work with a penalty save in the first minute. Everton’s half-backs had a stranglehold on their opponents from the outset, and none did better than Keen, who was even better on the wing than he has been as pivot. “T.G.” was just “T.G.” –too good for the Rakers’ forwards; in fact, Everton made this an exhibition game, otherwise their goal crop would have been greater.

December 8, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton are looking ahead. They are searching the fields for players, for service after the war. Next Saturday, at Rake Lane, followers of the club will have the chance of seeing a new centre-forward, who is having a trial expressly for the purpose of after-war engagement. This is Kinnell, a young Scot who has been playing with Dunfermline Athletic in the Scottish North-Eastern League. Reports are that Kinnell is something above the average.
Raker’s Grand Defence.
Everton had an easy passenger against the Brighton at Goodison Park on Saturday, winning 4-0 to record their sixth successive win. One of the features of the game, apart from the constructive brilliance of Everton’s international side, was the brilliant defence of the Rakers. Adams, the Burnley player in goal was positively sensational starting off by saving Billy’s Cook penalty and going on to save half-a-dozen goals by his keen anticipation and sure handling. And in front of him Gregson, Lowe, and Parker were grand. Granted that the Everton forwards eased up in the second half, but those Rakers stuck to their grim determination. It was just that they refused to give up and although Harry Jones, Stevenson, and Tommy Jones had given the Blues an interval lead, it was not until the last minute that Harry Jones got through again for the fourth. The Everton forwards treated the 2,577 spectators to some of the best in clever approach in fact it was delightful to see the ease and accuracy with which the Blues progressed. It was pure football exploited without undue energy. The defence too operated with a grace and effectiveness which was to be admired. No doubt that Mutch is fitting into the Everton forward scheme admirably, while Tommy Jones so dominated matters down the centre that the defence had a quiet afternoon. Little was seen of the Rakers, forwards, but their defence was fine. I liked, too the work of Maurice Hill, the Everton player now assisting the Rakers. He came out well in many duels with the Stevenson-Boyes windful of cunning.

December 11, 1941. The Evening Express.
Ranger’s Notes
New Brighton anticipate their best gate of the season at Rake Lane for the visit of Everton on Saturday. In spite of the fairly easy manner in which Everton won last week, the Rakers are by no means resigned to another defeat, and on their own ground, which grabs and confines a team motto the wide open spaces, they are confident of putting up a much better show. New Brighton show their belief in their side by making no changes for this return. As a matter of fact, the Rakers have made fewer changes than any club in this area, and most of them were early on, when they were a bit hard pressed to raise a satisfactory side. Since Dr. Tom Martlew and his board got things more to their liking they have loyally stuck to their regulars, withstanding the temptation to chop and change and introduce occasional guests. New Brighton are starting in the general improvement in attendance this season, which has been gratifying to the board, who at one time seriously considered closing down for the duration, but there is still room for improvement considering the standard of the opposition these days. The probable team against Everton reads;- Adams; Parker, Lowe; Hill, Gregson, Pilling; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, Leyfield.
Everton “A” entertain Napiers at Goodison, Everton “A”; Gale; Ireland, Dugdale; Curwen, Kelly, Cheers; Sweeney, Simmons, Wyles, Owen, Fowler.

December 12, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Kinnell, Everton’s new centre-forward from Dunfermline Athletic makes his debut tomorrow when the Blues go to Rake-lane to face New Brighton. Everton are enjoying a remarkable run of success, and I do not think the Rakers will be able to put the spoke into the wheel. Since October 4, when Everton lost at home to Manchester United, they have lost only one out of nine games. That was against Liverpool at Anfield. All the remainder have been won; in fact Everton have won their last six games. Like Liverpool, Everton will be seeking their fought “double” tomorrow. Even allowing for the Rake-lane club’s ground advantage, I think Everton will place that double on the records. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Keen; Anderson, Mutch, Kinnell, Stevenson, Lyon. New Brighton; Adams; Parker, Lowe; Hill, Gregson, Pilling; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, Leyfield.

December 12, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton, with eight successive victories to their credit, will be out for No.9 against New Brighton, and though the Rakers reckon the Sandheys Park enclosure is always worth a goal start to them, I think they will need more visiting team will be centred in the appearance of 18-year-old Kinnell, ex-Dunfermline Athletic, whom Everton are trying out with a view to after-the-war needs. The Blues have no recognised centre forward to fill Lawton’s place in case of need. If Kinnell fills the bill he will have solved the Blues biggest problem this season. Though not quite so star-studded as of recent weeks, Everton’s team is still very strong, particularly in defence, and Tommy Waring and his colleagues will have their work cut out to make much impression on it. Teams; Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Keen; Anderson, Mutch, Kinnell, Stevenson, Lyon. New Brighton; Adams; Parker, Lowe; Hill, Gregson, Pilling; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, Leyfield.

December 13, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Bentham, H. Jones (West Brom), Keen (Derby), half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Owen, Jackson, Stevenson and Lyon, forwards. New Brighton:- Adams (Burnley), goals; Redwood and Parker, backs; Hill (Everton), Gregson and Pilling, half-backs; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, and Leyfield, forwards. Referee; Mr. A.C. Hall, Chester. The Raker played up the hill confidently, whereas Everton found the slope more of a trouble than a help. They were able to frame nice attacks, without however, the necessary punch. Stevenson was well off the mark when he too, had a excellent scoring opportunity. Suddenly the ball came to Stevenson and without a second’s hesitation he drove fiercely into the goal, so that Everton took the lead at twenty minutes. The speed of this goal was its success, for it definitely caught the New Brighton defence on the wrong foot. Owens scored for Everton after 25 minutes and Jackson got a third at 35 minutes.
Half-time; New Brighton 0, Everton 3.
Everton’s Jackson got a fourth goal two minutes after the restart, and Waring one for New Brighton.
Full –time; New Brighton 1, Everton 5.

Coventry Evening Telegraph - Saturday 13 December 1941
Mr. William B. Henderson, of Twickenham, whose death is reported, was a well-known footballer in the ’nineties. He commenced his career by playing for Dumbarton, his native town, and he also assisted Manchester City, Aston Villa, and Everton. He was an enthusiastic bowler and billiards player.

December 15, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
New Brighton 1, Everton 5
Too Strong For New Brighton
By Stork.
Had Everton started their upward trend a few weeks before they did, they would have held an interest in the leadership of their section, but their victory marched started just a shade too late. They have been winning all along the line for some weeks, but there was a time when their form was not so consistent and it was during that time that they slipped back, and their late recovery is of no avail as a championship bid. The young scot, Kinnell was not available against New Brighton owing to illness, so Jackson played at centre-forward, and with Mutch claimed by Preston there had to be further reorganisation, but they won -5-1 in spite of the changes to complete the double. A week ago New Brighton’s goalkeeper, Adams was outstanding. He was not quite up to that standard on Saturday. Everton were always masters of the situation with their more subtle moves. Everton scored at the twelfth minute when Stevenson with a surprise shot beat Adams. Frost missed a chance immediately afterwards and then a penalty to New Brighton saw Parker shoot straight at Burnett, who parried the ball and then completed the save. For Everton’s second goal Adams was in possession of the ball when Owen flashed in front of him and swept the ball out of his hands and into the net. Adams was beaten a third time by Jackson, who finished off grand work by Anderson and Owen. So far New Brighton had been purely defensive, but just before the interval. Waring dashed through and cracked the ball on to the crossbar. Jackson scored with a grand drive to make the score 4-0 for Everton. In the second half New Brighton hit back, Waring scoring. Waring hit the woodwork’s second time. New Brighton did well at this juncture, but it was Everton who added to the score, Owen converting a centre from Lyon to bring the total to five. Anderson is settling down to the English style of football. He had speed, many tricks and his work with Owen was extremely good. Owen is improving rapidly, but it was Stevenson who was the leading figure of the line. The Everton defence was too powerful for the New Brighton forwards. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Bentham, Jones (Harry), Keen; Anderson, Mutch, Kinnell, Stevenson, Lyon. New Brighton; Adams; Parker, Lowe; Hill, Gregson, Pilling; Dellow, Waring, Frost, Malam, Leyfield.
• Liverpool beat Tranmere Rovers 7-2, McIntosh (3), Carney (2), Dorsett (2) for Liverpool and Bell and Cooper for Tranmere.

December 15, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Though New Brighton were no match for Everton, who went on to complete seven consecutive victories, there was a period in the second half when the Rakers kicking down hill, looked like making a stiff fight of it. The effort was short-lived, and bar a Waring goal against the five from Everton there was no reward from New Brighton’s efforts. The home side had all the bad luck that was going for Waring twice hit the bar with Burnett beaten, and Parker missed a penalty, but there could be no dispute about Everton’s superiority which might have been more pronounced had it not been for the rough on either side of the fairway down the middle of the pitch, where the long grass nullified many of Everton’s short passing movements. Kinnell, the young Scottish centre forward who was to have made his Everton debut, could not play through illness. He will get another chance when he is fit. The best forwards on view were the oldest –Stevenson and Waring. Anderson and Owen made a grand right wing for Everton, and Harry Jones once more proved that he is a better centre half than centre forward. The Rakers defence was not quite good enough to hold the Blues front line.

December 15, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton duly completed their fourth “double” of the season by beating New Brighton 5-1 at Rake-Lane on Saturday. This was the Blues’ seventh successive win. Their success was due to all-round excellence and, although New Brighton no doubt counted themselves unlucky when Waring twice struck the crossbar, and Parker’s penalty kick was saved, the Blues were clearly worth their victory. New Brighton’s forwards got little chance to shone against the solid defence presented by Burnett, Cook, and Greenhalgh, while Jones (H.) also did much to break up their attacks. Stevenson, Jackson (2), and Owen (2) scored for Everton and Waring for the Rakers.

December 17, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton’s two internationals half-backs, Joe Mercer, and Tommy Jones return to the team to visit Stockport County at Edgeley Park on Saturday after figuring in a series of representative games. This releases Stan Bentham and Harry Jones for forward duly again. Bentham goes back to inside right in place of Owens, and Jones will again take over the leadership from Jackson “Mutch,” the Scottish international, is requested by Preston North End, who are making such a bold bid for Northern championship honours. In the game Everton will be endeavouring to record their eight successive victory and their ninth in the last ten matches. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Jones (Harry), Stevenson, Lyon.

December 17, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will be strengthened by the return of Tommy Jones and Mercer –engaged last week in a Services match –for their game with Stockport at Stockport, on Saturday. Mercer inclusion at right half leaves the way clear for Bentham to resume again at inside right, where he will partner the much improved and speeded-up Anderson, and Harry Jones takes over again at central forward. Stockport have had a very thin time this season with only two victories to their credit out of sixteen matches, so another win for Everton looks a reasonable assumption. I can hardly visualise the Cheshire side putting a full stop to Everton’s victorious sequence. Team:- Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T.G.), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Jones (Harry), Stevenson and Lyon.

December 18, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Carlton go to Goodison Park to face the vastly-improving Everton, who include Young, the Arsenal back. Everton “A”; Gale; Ireland, Dugdale; Young (Arsenal), Strange, Cheers; Kelly, Curwen, Williams, Mitchell, Wyles, Owen, Fowler.

December 19, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton’s visit to Edgerley Park looks good for a couple of points for Stockport even on their own ground, hardly seem good enough for the collection of stars, home-produced and borrowed, which Everton will turn out. The Blues are strengthened by the return of Mercer and Tommy Jones, who have been figuring in a big number of representative games this season, but they will again be minus George Mutch, recalled by Preston in their championship bid. The debut of Kinnell, the young Scottish centre forward, has been put back for a while through illness, and Harry Jones leads the forwards with Bentham at inside right. Team:- Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (T.G.), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Jones (Harry), Stevenson and Lyon.

December 20, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
BY Stork.
Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) and Keen (Derby), half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Bentham, Jones (H.) (West Brom), Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Stockport County:- Rigsby, goal; Topping and Howe, backs; Cutting, Steele and Chappell, half-backs; Toseland, Watson, Catterick (Everton), Percival, and Scott, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Holt, Rochdale. It was pleasing to contact Howe and Catterick, two Merseysiders, in the Stockport team which was strengthened by the inclusion of Percival and Toseland. Everton had eleven of their championship players on view. A nice combined movement by Everton ended with Boyes making a shot which Rigsby saved. Rigby also took the ball from H. Jone’s head in the defence of his goal. Scott was busy on the County left wing, but was wasteful with his centres. Rigby saved at the foot of the post. Stockport netted but the goal was disallowed. A minute or two later Boyes netted, but was adjudged offside. Bentham ran through the opposition, but his pass was not accepted. Mercer a becoming a regular scorer these days, and he added to his tally of goals when he scored after 15 minutes. It was a bonny goal, too, entirely self made. He shot through the County defence, hooked the ball to the left foot, and cracked it into the net. Bentham went close with a vicious shot, and immediately afterwards forced Rigby to a smart save. Anderson and Bentham were having a good innings against Chappell and Howe, but were not getting full value from it. Scott shot a foot wide from Toseland’s centre.
Half-time; Stockport C 0, Everton 1
Some slackness by the Everton defence allowed Stockport to equalise through Cheppell at 57 minutes. Rigby had previously edged a hot by H. Jones over his crossbar.

December 22, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Stockport County 1, Everton 1
Sequence Broken
By Stork.
Everton’s winning sequence –they had seven wins in a row –came to end an end at Stockport, when they had to be content with a draw against the lowly Stockport County. Not one person in the Cheshire centre thought their side could avert a defeat, so you can imagine their delight when they shared two goals with Everton. It was as much Everton’s fault that they did not win a convincing victory, as it was Stockport’s defence, for on balance of play they were greatly superior but they missed chances after chances, and so must not grumble as the result. Stockport were undoubtedly overawed in the early part of the game. Everton had the County tied down to defence for the most part of the first half, and with the opportunities of the goal making there for the taking should have held a commanding lead at the interval, whereas they could only boast one goal. Mercer scored this at the fifteenth minute. The move was started and completed by the English international himself. He wormed his way through the County defence, tricking man after man, before shooting to the far side of the goal. There was no hint after that the County would slave off defeat, for Everton swept down the field and made openings, which literally called out to be converted, but Stevenson and Bentham could not strike the correct blow. Bentham forced Rigby to many saves, while Stevenson as a rule lifted the ball over the crossbar. During this period Stockport gained more belief in themselves and while their football was never so crafty as Everton’s it was good enough to produce an equalising goal, and once they got that they fought like tigers to hold on to what they had. The defence stood on no ceremony. Get the ball away from the goal area was their chief thought and having done this the forwards rushed forward more in hope than anything else. Their grim tackling and swift intervention knocked Everton off their game for a time, particularly so after the County had equalised with a goal which should never have been, for it was faulty defence which enabled Chappell, the half-back to dash in and score. Just for one moment the Everton defence had faltered. It was sorely tested after that, as Stockport tried to crash there way through. The small crowd yelled their heads off. It might have been a cup-tie, judged on the enthusiasm displayed. Stockport were just as remiss as Everton in the goal-scoring process, otherwise they might have won. Late on Everton tried to pull the game out of the fire but could not produce another goal. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) and Keen (Derby), half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Bentham, Jones (H.) (West Brom), Stevenson and Boyes, forwards. Stockport County:- Rigsby, goal; Topping and Howe, backs; Cutting, Steele and Chappell, half-backs; Toseland, Watson, Catterick (Everton), Percival, and Scott, forwards. Referee; Mr. H. Holt, Rochdale.
• Liverpool drew with Stoke City 1-1, Liddell for Liverpool and Bowyers for Stoke, Sale penalty kick was saved by Hobson.

December 22, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton had themselves to blame for not winning at Stockport, where Mercer gave them an interval lead. This was wiped out by another wing half-back, Chappell, and subsequently Everton dominated the game, but finished without accuracy. The County played with rare spirit against their cleverer rivals, but Everton had sufficient chances to have won handsomely.

December 22, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton got a shock at Stockport on Saturday, where they were only able to draw, but if forwards will not accept their chances, then they have no grumble. There were enough scoring chances in the first half to have sealed the match long before the interval and put it out of Stockport’s reach, but misses were more common than otherwise. Stevenson and Bentham had ample opportunities, but they either shot straight at the goalkeeper or swung the ball outside the woodwork. Stockport had expected a heavy defeat. You can imagine their joy when the final whistle sounded and they shared the spoils against a team including six internationals players. This is not the first time that a Third Division team has brought off the unexpected against Everton. They are always more likely to do it than a senior side for they go into the game with more abandon. They should not, however, have lost this game. A victory was there for the taking, for they had the County throttled down in the first half when they were playing sound and progressive football, but if goals were scorned one must not blame the opposition, if they –the opposition –pulls one out of the bag. Mercer had scored a bonny self-made goal at fifteen minutes. Most of the onlookers than looked for an Everton goal rush, but it did not come, and Stockport got a belief in themselves and banging the ball about they ultimately got an equaliser and for a time they had Everton working on the collar to prevent them scoring again.

December 23, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Bob Kinnell, the young Dunfermline Athletic centre-forward, will make his debut for Everton in the Blues Christmas afternoon match at Goodison Park with Stockport County. Kinnell is the 18-year-old lad who is having trials with a view to future requirements. He should have played against New Brighton two weeks ago, but unfortunately was taken ill and had to cry off. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly is still doubtful about the exact constitution of the team, but he has hopes of featuring several other players of promince in this, the final match in the first 1941-42 competition.

December 24, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Chief interest centres on whether Everton or Liverpool will finish highest in the table. at the moment the Reds are two points head, but Everton have slightly the better goal average -1.7 against 1.57. Tommy Lawton is a certain starter for Everton, and there will be plenty of other internationals in the side. Lawton will play in the ususal position of inside-right. This is because 18-year-old Bob Kinnell, from Dunfermline Athletic, will be making his debut for the club. Bentham goes to outside right. There is a doubt about Stevenson, but if he cannot play, Lyon will deputise. Anderson will be seen in his real position, outside left, for the first time with the Blues. Harry Jones goes back to centre half in an attractive team capable of giving us Soccer delights to help with the Christmas cheer. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Harry), Keen; Bentham, Lawton, Kinnell, Stevenson (or Lyon), Anderson.
Boyes, Lawton, and Tommy Jones are certain to play against Sheffield on Saturday, the only doubt being whether Stevenson or Lyon plays at inside-left. Everton (v. Sheffield W.); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, (or Lyon), Boyes.

December 24, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton-Stockport County return game at Goodison Park which takes on added interest because it is the medium for Everton’s trial of the promising young Scottish centre forward, Kinnell. Everton will also have Lawton in their side, but the international moves to inside right to give Kinnell his chance. Mercer is at right-half, and the side is a strong one, so that Stockport, who sprang a surprise by ending Everton’s long sequence of wins last week, are hardly likely to sprang another. Lawton and Kinnell are definite starters, the only doubtful being Alec Stevenson. If he cannot play Lyon will deputises. The kick-off is 2.45 and the team:- Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Harry), Keen; Bentham, Lawton, Kinnell, Stevenson (or Lyon), Anderson.
Everton will take a strong side to Sheffield, with probably seven internationals. Tommy Jones, Lawton, Mercer, Cook and Greenhalgh are said to be certainties and the only real doubt applies to Stevenson. Everton (v. Sheffield W.); Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Lawton, Stevenson, (or Lyon), Boyes.

December 27, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 6, Stockport County 0
Everton were all to powerful for Stockport County in their return game at Goodison Park. And the result, 6-0, in no way flattered them. The scorers were Kinnell, Cook, Stevenson, and then a hat-trick by Lawton. Great interest was displayed in the appearance of Kinnell the Dunfermline junior who was given a trial at centre forward with a view to future engagement. His goal was an excellent one. It was a fine pass that was given to him, but it was the manner in which he took his chance that impressed. He showed many nice touches, but naturally was overshadowed by Lawton. Kinnell is his teens and looks a player in district promise. Everton; Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (H.)(West Brom), and Keen (E) (Derby County), half-backs; Bentham, Lawton, Kinnell (R) (Hearts), Stevenson, Anderson (Third Lanark), forwards.
• Liverpool lost 4-3 to Stoke, Niuwenhuys, Polk, Liddell, scored for Liverpool and Sale (2) (1 Penalty), Liddle, and Basnett for Stoke.

December 27, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Bob Kinnell, the 18-year-old Dunfermiline lad, made quite a promising debut for Everton against Stockport. He took the first goal, so choicely offered by Mercer, in delightful style, and revealed good command of the ball and cute ideas. Kinnell travelled throughout the night from Scotland for the game and his expressed himself pleased at his first game in the country. He is coming again when he is not required by Heart of Midlothian, who hold his signature. Everton won easily, Cooke (penalty) and Stevenson adding to Kinnell’s score, before Tommy Lawton came along with a hat-trick from inside right. There were 6,232 people present to see Anderson steal individual honours.

December 27, 1941. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork
Sheffield Wednesday:- Morton, goal; Laking, and Pickering, backs; Cockroft, Packard, and Herbert, half-backs; Drury, Robinson, Melling, Millership, and Scholfield, forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) and Keen (Derby County), half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Bentham, Lawton, Jones (H.) (West Brom), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. L. Dale, (Sheffield). Everton had a strong side at Sheffield for their League War Cup match with the Wednesday, and so, for that matter did the home side. It was one of the best crowds I have seen for some time, for at the start there was a good 10,000 people present. Everton started with a man short, for H. Jones did not put in an appearance until a few minutes after the game had opened. The Wednesday immediately struck a blow at the Everton defence, without, however, penetrating Burnett’s goal. Several shots were charged away, but there was no mistaking the Wednesday’s enthusiasm, and H. Jones who had fallen back into the defence, nodded the ball from underneath the Everton crossbar. The Wednesday having had their fling ran into a pack of trouble, and within twelve minutes they were two goals in arrears. The first was started with a free kick from Greenhalgh, Lawton adding the finishing touch at ten minutes. Two minutes later, strong pressure by the Everton attack had the Sheffield defence in rather a sorry plight and Bentham was left with a header and only the goalkeeper to beat. He headed straight for Morton, who parried the ball, but in doing so only put it out to Lawton who promptly headed it back into the net at twelve minutes. This was indeed a quick change about, for the Wednesday had promised to be a trouble to Everton by their open game and they quick tackling. Everton continued to hold the whip hand, their football being more crafty than that of the Wednesday.
Half-time; Sheffield Wednesday nil, Everton 2.
The second half saw the Wednesday make some shits, one by Millership being particularly brilliantly saved by Burnett, who later saved a penalty shot by Herbert . Final; Sheffield Wednesday 0, Everton 3.

December 27, 1941. The Evening Express
Burnett Saves a Penalty
Probably the best crowd of the season turned out for Everton visit to Sheffield Wednesday in the first of the cup games, 10,000 being present. Sheffield Wednesday:- Thorton, goal; Laking, and Pickering, backs; Cockroft, Packard, and Herbert, half-backs; Drury, Robinson, Melling, Millership, and Scholfield, forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) and Keen (Derby County), half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Bentham, Lawton, Jones (H.) (West Brom), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. L. Dale, (Sheffield). The game started 20 minutes later, Everton having been held on the journey. Straightaway came hot pressure from the home side. Scholfield swung the ball right across the face of Everton’s goal and shots were ranged in from all angles. Once H. Jones, who had fellen back, headed away from under the Everton crossbar, and eventually the siege was lifted. It was characteristic of Everton that after having defended for the first 10 minutes without relief, this should suddenly have swept to the attack and put on two goals in as many minutes. A free kick led to the first, Lawton eventually scoring with quick rising shot while immediately after the Everton centre forward put on a second. The second time he was rather fortunate, for the ball came to him after Thornton had only partial cleared a shot by Bentham. Lawton was able to score with a downward header. Towards the interval Laking headed off Sheffield’s goal line when Anderson’s shot seemed certain scorer.
Half-time; Sheffield Wednesday 0, Everton 2.
After a swerving shot from Millership had been saved by Burnett the goalkeeper saved a penalty kick. Melling had been brought down, but Herbert shot straight at the goalkeeper.

December 29, 1941. The Liverpool Daily Post
Sheffield Wednesday 0, Everton 3
Everton’s Cup Form
By Stork.
Sheffield Wednesday started off with such vim and determination in the first leg of their cup-tie with Everton at Hillsborough that they promised Everton trouble before the end, but the visitors turned the tables, and with two goals in a spell of two minutes, they finally won 3-0. Everton, having taken the edge off the Wednesday’s attack, sent on to play good class football. One could hear all around high praise for the Everton combination, their skill in holding and parting with the ball to the best advantage and their better finishing. The Wednesday ticklen and tapped the ball when the right thing was a shot. The strong Everton defence had a great deal to do with the infectiveness of the Wednesday forwards, for Cook, Jones, and Greenhalgh, to say nothing of Mercer and Keen set up a barrier which the Wednesday could not penetrate. Finally Wednesday ran themselves out, and Everton swarmed round their goal delivering shots. Sheffield had promised such a lot during the first ten minutes, what time Everton’s defence was severely harassed that it was only natural that the two quick goals were against the run of the play. The Wednesday were unfortunate to find H. Jones heading out a ball from under the Everton crossbar when all seemed lost, but after that the home forwards got little chance. Afree kick taken by Greenhalgh saw the ball lead near the penalty spot. Two defenders stood by, when Lawton dashed in and cracked the ball into the net –ten minutes. Two minutes later a raid by the Everton left wing split the Sheffield defence, and H. Jones was left unattended with a perfect chance. The ball was directed straight for goal, but was half-saved by Morton, but Lawton nodded the ball back into the net. From then until the interval Everton were on top, Morton having to make many saves of note. Millership opened the second half with a great shot, Burnett making a grand save. Then Cook was penalised and from the spot Herbert shot straight at Burnett, who gripped the ball finely, but Burnett’s best save was from Drury. He touched the ball on to the crossbar and caught it again as it dropped. Finally, Everton though Lawton, scored again. Thus Lawton had scored two hat-tricks in succession. Attendance, 11,721. Receipts £611. Sheffield Wednesday:- Morton, goal; Laking, and Pickering, backs; Cockroft, Packard, and Herbert, half-backs; Drury, Robinson, Melling, Millership, and Scholfield, forwards. Everton:- Burnett, goal; Cook (captain) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) and Keen (Derby County), half-backs; Anderson (Third Lanark), Bentham, Lawton, Jones (H.) (West Brom), and Boyes, forwards. Referee; Mr. L. Dale, (Sheffield).
• Liverpool beat Bury 4-0, Nieuwenhuy, Ainsley (2), and Liddell scored for them.

December 29, 1942. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Everton superior skill and more accurate marksmanship soon got the better of Sheffield Wednesday, at Hillsbrough, on Saturday. For nine minutes the “Owls” had given Everton much room for thought by their persistent attack, but having overcome the Wednesday’s shock tactics they settled down to play good football which pressed too much for their opponents. Two quick goals by Lawton inside twelve minutes turned the game inside out, for from the point Everton took complete control, and meeting Sheffield’s dash with more calculating football were on top right to the end. Even a penalty spot kick could not be turned to account, and so the Wednesday went goalless, whereas Everton always seemed good for more goals. They got a third a minute before the interval, which enabled Lawton to register his second “hat-trick” in two consecutive matches. Long before the end the Wednesday had rub themselves out without having achieved any result from their dashing tactics.

December 29, 1941. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Tommy Lawton, Everton’s international centre-forward, scored his second hat-trick in three days to give the Blues a three goal win over Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. Tommy finished the Christmas Day game against Stockport with a hat-trick, and brought it up to six for this Sheffield soccer revival. Hillsbrough housed its biggest gate of the war, more than 11,000 people paying £600 odd. This was a win well achieved although the Wednesday boasting several pre-war stars, gave the Blues a rare testing in the early stages. When Lawton accepted two quick chances, however, the Wednesday had shot their bolt, and afterwards rarely gave promise of pulling the game out of the fire. Everton gave a delightful display of football, their understanding between departments and individuals being excellent.

December 31, 1941. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton make three changes for the first home War Cup match of the season –against Sheffield Wednesday at Goodison Park on Saturday. Tommy Lawton and Wally Boyes have returned to their Army units and are not available, so Harry Jones goes from inside-left to centre-forward, and Jack Lyon resumes at outside-left. Alex Stevenson, is still suffering from the ankle injury in the Christmas Day match against Stockport County and so Wally Owen returns to inside-left. The defence will be unchanged for both Joe Mercer and Tommy Jones are all set to play, and this prompts me to think that Everton will duly complete the “double” at the expense of the Wednesday, whom they defeated 3-0 at Hillaborough on Saturday. Everton; Burnett; Cook, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Keen; Anderson, Bentham, Jones (Harry), W. Owen, Lyon.






December 1941