Everton Independent Research Data


December 2, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton will introduce a newcomer to their senior side for the game against Chester, at Chester on Saturday, in P. Turner, a Frodsham boy, who plays outside right. Turner has been registered as an amateur with Chester for the past two seasons, but latterly has been assisting Everton and has put up some good shows, for the reserve teams; Chester have a lot of ifs and buts about their side, and will not know their definite team until just before the game. At the moment the possible total fourteen. Chester (from); Scales; Watson, Bates; Newsome, Astbury, W. Loxham, Harris, A.N. Other,. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Grenehalgh; Hallard, Jones (T.G.), Jones (S.), P. Turner, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.

December 2, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton make three changes for their visit to Chester at Sealand road Stadium on Saturday, one meaning the introduction to the Football League of P. Turner, the young outside-right. Turner comes from Frodsham, and has been playing excellent football in the County Combination team. Tommy Jones the Welsh international and club captain returns to centre half for McDonnell, and Hallard of Bradford, will be at right half in place of Jack Jones. Sam Jones, the Irish international will be at left half. Chester will have Scales, of Manchester City in goal. There are doubts about all other departments. Chester (from); Scales; Watson, Bates; Newsome, Astbury, W. Loxham, Harris, A.N. Other,. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Hallard, Jones (T.G.), Jones (S.), P. Turner, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.

December 3, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton upset the “apple cart” last week. What is in store for them at Chester. In recent weeks they have rolled almost entirely on their left wing, and it has been justified to a point though the right flank has often been starved out of the game. Everton’s middle line was not impressive against Crewe but the returns of T.G. Jones should put in the stiffening which will be necessary at Sealand road. Chester (from); Scales; Watson, Bates; Newsome, Astbury, W. Loxham, Harris, A.N. Other,. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Hallard, Jones (T.G.), Jones (S.), P. Turner, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.

December 3, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton will be at Sealand road Stadium opposing Chester two weeks in succession, and certainly tomorrow represents the more difficult task for they will be without Lawton. The record of the sides are pretty much on a par and there should not be a lot in it. The Blues will be strengthened by the return to centre half of Tommy Jones who is the rock on which might be shattered the Chester hopes of success. Everton introduce to League circles Turner, the young Frodsham outside right who played with Chester and Everton Reserves at right half. Chester (from); Scales; Watson, Bates; Newsome, Astbury, W. Loxham, Harris, A.N. Other. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Hallard, Jones (T.G.), Jones (S.), P. Turner, Grant, Wyles, Stevenson, McIntosh.

December 4, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
By Stork.
Chester; Scales (Manchester City), goal; Watson (Leicester City) and McNeill, backs; Cole, Hughes and Tagg, half-backs; Veacock (Marine), W. Loxham, Bryan, Astbury and G. O’Neill, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Turner, Grant, Wyles, Watson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. C. Wormsley, Davenport. Chester were the first to make a move of any account and Bryan was unfortunate when he made a lob shot at goal only to see the ball curl over the bar. It was a narrow shave for Everton who were some time before they launched their first attack and then Wyles was well held by the Chester defence. There was some nice play on the wing between Grant and Turner. The latter was with Chester Colts last year. Bryan again tried his luck from close in, but there was no power behind his shot, so that Burnett was able to gave comfortably without any anxiety. Peacock had two further shots at goal, and was not far off the mark with either. A more dangerous goal scoring effort came when Watson snapped up a pass by nice forward play by Everton and cracked in a shot which seemed destined for the back of the net. The goalkeeper was beaten, but McNeill got in the way of the drive and disaster was averted. Scales made a catch under his bar from McIntosh and did well a moment later, when the Scot drove hard and fiercely to goal. From the corner kick the ball was luckily licked out when everything seemed lost. There was not a lot in the game, but Chester had their fair share of the play. Twice Astbury netted the ball but on each occasion the goal was disallowed for offside. At twenty-four minutes, Veacock ran down on his own and scored for Chester. It was an entirely solo effort. Everton could not find a right line with their shooting and the best effort was made by Watson, Scales failing. Veacock nodded another goal into the net, but to the surprise of most the goal was disallowed for hands.
Half-time; Chester 1, Everton 0.
Loxham netted once more, but the goal was disallowed on the score of offside. Everton, who had two chances near goal, almost obtained the equaliser when McIntosh hit the ball hard, and true, and Scales had to make a magnificent save, turning the ball over his crossbar. Practically all the goals incidents of the half were contented to Everton goalmouth.

December 6, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Chester 1, Everton 0
Everton Attack Fails
By Stork.
Although Chester won only by a goal in their game with Everton, at Sealand Road, it was in reality a sound victory. They should have won by a greater margin. They had the ball in the Everton net on five other occasions, but infringements spoiled the efforts. There was one occasion when I though a goal should have been the reward, but the referee decided otherwise. Everton were without a forward who could find a true line with a shot, if exception is made of McIntosh, who did test the Chester goalkeeper, who had to make one or two very fine saves. It is a long time since I saw the Everton attack so badly out of joint. Wyles was hardly seen in the game, and while Watson did well up to a point it must be acknowledged that he is not a forward. Grant was injured early on and was never quite the same again, and Turner naturally suffered through this. Chester were much quicker in going to the ball and when they got it they made better use of it than their opponent. Astbury in particular was excellent in framing attacks. Others in the line, which showed speed and ability, were Loxham and Veacock, for Bryan was too well looked after by T.G. Jones to be really a danger although he did get the ball in the net and was several times close with nice effort.
McIntosh Held.
McIntosh, who scored five goals a week ago, was naturally the centre of attraction to the 3,000 people, but Walton the Leicester City full back adopted the right tactics against the Scottish box of tricks and so curbed the Everton winger. Scales had to save one particularly fierce drive by McIntosh and also turn aside several other efforts from the wing but in this duel Walton undoubtedly came out with major honours. No fault could be found with the Everton defence, which stood up defiantly against a team which was more progressive more artful, and more determined. The winning goal came after 24 minutes when Veacock ran down the right wing, and without any assistance whatever closed in to shoot the ball beyond Burnett. Just before the interval O’Neill centred a long ball which Burnett waited for, but Veacock rushed in and headed the ball almost out of the goalkeeper’s hands and into the net. It seemed a perfectly good goal to the majority, but the referee saw something many of us had missed –the handling of the ball by Veacock to propel it into the net. That decision will be discussed for some days. Attendance 3,000 Receipts £175. Chester; Scales (Manchester City), goal; Watson (Leicester City) and McNeill, backs; Cole, Hughes and Tagg, half-backs; Veacock (Marine), W. Loxham, Bryan, Astbury and G. O’Neill, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Jones (J.E.), Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Jones (S.) (Blackpool), half-backs; Turner, Grant, Wyles, Watson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. C. Wormsley, Davenport.
• Liverpool beat Burnley 1-0, scored by Polk.
• England draw with Scotland at Goodison Park 2-2, in front of 34,779 Receipts £6,315. Lawton and Britton played for England. Lawton scored one goal.

December 6, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Jimmy Veacock, free to play for Chester because Marine had no match, went to Sealand-road to score the one goal by which the Cestrians defeated Everton. And there is no doubt that Chester deserved their win. As a matter of fact Chester got the ball into the net no two other occasions, but score were ruled out because of Braches of law. Everton did well to hold Chester to a single goal, this being primarily due to the brilliance of Tommy Jones at centre half, and the soundness of Jackson and Greenhalgh. In attack Everton missed the skill of Stevenson, although Gordon Watson made a useful makeshift inside left to the bighearted McIntosh. Grant was injured early on and was limping, while Wyles did not have a happy time. From Everton point of view the display of Phil Turner, the Frodsham lad, at outside right, was the source of satisfaction. This boy will get more opportunities. Alec Stevenson considered Turner a really promising lad.

December 6, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The high scoring Everton attack which had scored 35 goals in half-a-dozen matches failed to junction at Chester, who found that one goal was sufficient to carry the day. Had the Cestrian shooting been in line with their midfield play, they would have won by a much bigger margin (writes Stork). They were the better team on the day’s play and when I tell you that they had the ball in the Everton net six times in all, it should convey how they had played. Four of the disallowed goals were on the score of offside, the other for hands. Everton’s forward line was most ineffective and only McIntosh of the five caused any serious danger to the Chester goal. No fault could be found with the Everton defence, for all three half-backs –“the Joneses” –played strongly, with T.G. Jones predominant while Greenhalgh, Jackson, and Burnett played their part.
• Death of the great England and Corinthian centre forward, died at Lymington (Sussex) today, age 71.

December 9, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Stronger Side For Chester Return
With a stronger side out this week, Everton hope to avenge their defeat last Saturday by Chester. Lawton and Stevenson will be back in the attack, while Watson –who made his first senior appearance of the season a week ago –will again be in the side, but this time at right half, with Hallard at left half. Turner the young amateur winger from Frodsham gets another chance to show his proves. Team; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Watson, Jones (T.G.), Hallard; P. Turner, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Chester hope to have the services of Harris, their guest artists from Birmingham, for this match –for the first time for several weeks. He has been in much demand for Army representative games of late. Newsome is also expected to be available, which means that Chester this week will be stronger in attack than in the first match. Team from; Chester; Scales; Walton, Bates; McNeill, Cole, Hughes, Tagg; Roberts, Newsome, Astbury, W. Loxham, Harris, Booth.

December 9, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Two internationals return to Everton’s attack to oppose Chester at Sealand-road Stadium on Saturday in the Blues second visit to the ground to successive weeks. They are Tommy Lawton of England, the Football League leading scorer to date and Alex Stevenson of Ireland. The return of these brilliant players should make all the difference to the side and enable Everton to wipe out last week’s only goal defeat while Tommy Jones, the Welsh international is again available and so the team will boast four internationals Jackson being also an England player. Gordon Watson a member of the 1939 championship side, who deputises for Stevenson last week now goes to right half in place Jack Jones. Last week’s game proved that Gordon has made a good recovery from the ankle injury which has seen him out of the team so long . Hallard returns to left half in place of Sam Jones. Phil Turner the Frodsham lad, retains his place at outside right and with Grant having recovered from last week’s injury, this pair remain in duel harness. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Watson, Jones (Tom), Hallard; P. Turner, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Forward Changes
Chester make forward changes as Jimmy Veacock will return to play for Marine. Either Roberts of Bury or Newsome of West Bromwich Albion, will be at outside right with Astbury at inside. Loxham moving to centre forward for Bryan. Harris, of Birmingham takes Astbury’s place at inside-left with Booth on the wing in place of O’Neill. The only doubt in defence is whether Walton of Leicester City who did so well against McIntosh last week can get off. If not Bates will deputise. Chester; Scales; Walton (or Bates), McNeill; Cole, Hughes, Tagg; Roberts (or Newsome), Astbury, Loxham, Harris, Booth.

December 10, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It should be something of a gala day at Sealand-road, Chester, where Everton, with star players back once again tackle Chester. I think the Chester officially will be glad that they agreed to play their two games with the Blues at home for tomorrow should see Chester’s finest attendance of the season –and a rare struggle. Granted that Everton lost 1-0 there last week, but it is with some confidence that I take them to square accounts. Tommy Lawton returns to lead the forwards and believe me that makes a tremendous difference. Equally as important is the return to inside left of the master opening-creator, Alex Stevenson. The Blues will again have Tommy Jones to face the Chester attack and with Gordon Watson, now fully fit again, in his right and Hallard, of Bradford on the left. With Jackson, Greenhalgh and Burnett to back up the combination I think Everton will master a side in which at the moment are some doubts. This should be an excellent game with the fans rolling up to see the many internationals. Chester (from); Scales; Walton, Bates, McNeill; Cole, Hughes, Tagg; Roberts, Newsome, Astbury, Loxham, Harris, Booth. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Watson, Jones (Tommy), Hallard; P. Turner, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.

December 11, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Chester;- Scales (Manchester City), goal; Walton (Leicester City) and McNeill, backs; Cole, Hughes and Tagg, half-backs; Newsome (West Brom), Astbury, Loxham, Harris (Birmingham), and Roberts (Bury), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Watson, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Hallard (Bradford Park Avenue), half-backs; Turner, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee –Mr. R. Yeomans (Hanley). The attendance at the kick-off was good for a Chester war-time gate, between 3000 and 4000. Chester were first to become dangerous with a smooth run down the middle and a shot by Astbury which was diverted by Tommy Jones. Most of the early pressure came from Everton with Stevenson prominent. It was Stevenson who made the opening for McIntosh to take the ball over to the corner flag and send in a drop shot, which was only just off the mark. Another time McIntosh sent the ball goalwards from the wing, and when Burnett came out to meet it Stevenson lifted it over his head and was again a trifle wide. Lawton was unlucky when he broke through, only to be robbed before he settled to shoot. Everton gained two successive corners but these produced nothing exciting. Chester forwards showed enterprise in their approach work, but when it came to a last lap they were generally well held, and the run of play was as much in Everton’s favour today as it was against them last Saturday. Lawton was strongly tackled by Walton and robbed of the ball when going through and he had a rather quiet half. The game steadied down and shooting was not successive. There was more liveliness nearer the interval. Chester fighting a strong and steady game.
Half-time; Chester 0, Everton 0.
After a short spell of Everton attacking with McIntosh prominent. Chester forwards had their liveliest bout Burnett made one good save from a low shot from Newsome. Newsome came near to scoring when he banged the ball goalwards from short range following a corner, and Greenhalgh was lucky to clear off the goal line. Chester keeper made a quick save from a surprise shot by McIntosh.

December 11, 1943. The Evening Express
Hard Game at Sealand Road
Everton made four changes for their second game at Sealand-road, Chester, and Chester had three forward alterations. Chester;- Scales (Manchester City), goal; Walton (Leicester City) and McNeill, backs; Cole, Hughes and Tagg, half-backs; Newsome (West Brom), Astbury, Loxham, Harris (Birmingham), and Roberts (Bury), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Watson, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Hallard (Bradford Park Avenue), half-backs; Turner, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee –Mr. R. Yeomans (Hanley). Chester made the first dangerous move, and Jones conceded a corner in stopping a shot from Astbury. Chester kept up the pressure for some minutes, and Burnett was in action several times without being greatly troubled. Stevenson opened the way for an Everton left wing raid which McIntosh ended with a rising shot which passed just over the cross-bar. Everton were soon attacking again, but a through pass by Jackson was too strong and Turner was unable to take advantage of it.
Fast Play
Play returned to the Everton goalmouth when Roberts played a good pass in that direction but Turner was able to save. Play in the early stages was of a fast end-to-end character which kept both defenders extended. Everton were more dangerous on the left, and McIntosh made several fine attacks to get centres through to Lawton. A smart combined move took play from the Chester goal area well into the Everton territory, where Jackson intercepted a pass intended for Roberts and spoiled what appeared to be a dangerous movement. Within seconds, play had returned to the Chester goalmouth without any success for the Everton forwards. Tommy Jones prevented Roberts getting through when Astbury placed a pass to the left wing. The game continued to be evenly contested with most of the thrills in the Chester goalmouth. Lawton seemed certain to score when he broke through but Scales rushed out and prevented the Everton leader getting in a shot. Scales made another good save when Stevenson sent in a high drive. Burnett best effort in this half came when Loxham beat Jackson and finished with a fast drive which the goalkeeper knocked down and quickly gathered and cleared.
Half-time; Chester 0, Everton 0.
Both sets of forwards had scoring chances early in the second half, but generally the defences were solid. Lawton seemed to have a fine chance of getting through, but failed to get the better of Hughes. Stevenson made determination efforts to get the Everton attack moving and good positional; football resulted. Chester almost went ahead when a shot from Newsome had Burnett beaten, but the ball struck Greenhalgh who was standing on the goalline, and came back into play. McIntosh sent another good centre to the Chester goalmouth, but again Lawton was overshadowed by Hughes. McIntosh continued to be prominent and Scales made a fine save from a hook shot by the winger.
Everton Res. V. Carlton
Carlton scored in three minutes through Steele. Ten minutes from the interval Everton equalised through Makin. Half-time; Everton Res 1, Carlton 1.

December 13, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Chester 1, Everton 0
Late Goal Decides
With five minutes to go Chester scored the only goal of the match against Everton at the Sealand Road Stadium and secured their second successive win by the same score. The goal was received with as much enthusiasm as a peace-time Cup-tie and was the culmination of a strongly contested, fast moving match. Everton started so well with their strengthened forward line, led by Lawton that it looked as though the tables were going to be turned, and for most of the first half the Chester forwards who were also a stronger line than the previous week, were generally held. As the second half progressed Chester became much more dangerous, while Everton’s forwards were more firmly held up by a stout defence. It was anybody’s game, and then in those closing stages Harris scored the winning goal by lobbing the ball over Burnett’s head after he had been given possession by Newsome and had veered over the right wing. It was a bright finish for Chester and a disappointment for Everton. Jones and Hughes the respective centre halves, were outstanding. All the Chester halves stood up to a clever attacking force not only with determination but with considerable skill, and Lawton was given little scope. Stevenson and McIntosh made a clever wing, and Watson shone in the middle line. Chester;- Scales (Manchester City), goal; Walton (Leicester City) and McNeill, backs; Cole, Hughes and Tagg, half-backs; Newsome (West Brom), Astbury, Loxham, Harris (Birmingham), and Roberts (Bury), forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Watson, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Hallard (Bradford Park Avenue), half-backs; Turner, Grant, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee –Mr. R. Yeomans (Hanley).
• Liverpool draw 1-1 against Burnley, Beattie scored for Liverpool and Jackson for Burnley

December 13, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
During the first half of their game with Chester at Sealand-road, Everton promised that they would reverse last week’s decision, for they gave the Cestrians a hot time in defence, but, despite all their efforts they could not score the necessary goal. Chester having stood up to the best that Everton could gave their forwards at last got away from the grip the Everton defence had over them, but it was not until the last five minutes that Chester managed to break through and score. It was a grand finish to a bright and attractive match, and when Harris lobbed the ball into the net the cheering was as long and loud as any cup-tie goal. Where Everton went astray was in the matter of shooting. Rarely did they gave the Chester goalkeeper the least concern. Lawton was watched like a cat watches a mouse, sometimes three, and always two defenders keeping a special eye on him. Chester’s strong half back play was mainly responsible for Chester’s double for they tackled grimly, and rarely gave the Everton forwards an opportunity. Goalkeeper Scales had a comparatively easy afternoon in the Chester goal which tells to a nutshell the meagreness of Everton’s shooting. With the right wing only moderate Chester concentrated their defensive strength on Lawton and the Everton left wing, which had to carry the burden of respondabilty of attack. They tried hard, played some clever football, but found the Chester defence determined and enthusiastic.

December 13, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Chester can have no regrets that they agreed to play Everton twice at home, for on Saturday they again defeated the Blues 1-0 to complete a nice “double” there were 3,500 spectators representing more than £200 and they have a cheque for £100 coming to them as part of the switch arrangement, so it has worked out well. Chester are now in second place among the Merseyside clubs, and Victory went to the more deceiving side. Apparently Everton missed some excellent chances but taking it all through Chester were players and held the balance. Main factor in Chester’s success, was the artistry of Billy Hughes the Welsh international, at centre-half. Billy more than held his own against Tommy Lawton not by “biff-bang” tactics but by football skill. Defence generally were too good for the attacks, the Everton front line suffering from a left wing complex which made the line unbalanced. Harris got the winning goal late on, a curious lob shot dropping just under the bar.

December 14, 1943 Liverpool Evening Express

Outside a village in Italy, British soldiers and Italian civilians were playing football, each player taking turns to kick an old ball at a tall fair-haired, Royal Corps of Signals Lance-Corporal. Two Tommie's were watching, one said' “These Italians do not know they are playing with an England goalkeeper.” The man in the goal between the house and a fruit tree was Ted Sagar, of Everton and England.

December 16, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
For Their Game With Manchester City
For their attractive game with Manchester City at Goodison Park, Everton have had to make some changes in their side. The rearguard stands fast, but there is a slight doubt about the wing-half position where Mercer and Grant have been selected for the right half position. Mercer was laid up with influenza last week and it is questionable whether he will be able to play. If he cannot, Grant will take over the position. Grant since his magnificent game at right half at Burnley has always appeared to be more as a half-back tan a forward. He is a little terrier like defender who harries and worries an attacker. The attack will new wing half pair on duty for the Southport player E. Wainwright who has often appeared in Everton’s attack links up with G. Makin who has played mostly on the left wing. The right wing has been uncommonly inactive recently partly because the left kept the ball to themselves. Gordon Watson gave a sparkling exhibition at right half-back last Saturday and returns to his rightist place on the left. He showed not the slightest trace of his old injury. Manchester City are always an attractive and the best available team is required to oppose the City, who hope to include Doherty in the side. Everton team is; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer or Grant, Jones (T.G.), Watson; G. Makin, E. Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. The final gate receipts for the international were £6,401 and the profit from the sale of programmes (for footballers Day collection) £142.

December 16, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton make an effort to solve their right wing problem by the reintroduction of two youngsters who have been stars of the reserve team when they face Manchester City in their first “leg” of their concluding League championship No 1 fixture at Goodison Park, on Saturday. Eddie Wainwright the Southport lad who had several games with the seniors early this season will be brought back to inside-right in place of Grant, and George Makin the former Gwlady’s-street schoolboy will play on the wing. Makin has been playing on the left, and in this position played as a “gust” player for Chester recently. Makin’s only first team appearance this term for the Blues was on the left, but he is a two-footed player who might settle into a partnership of potent falsities with Wainwright. Certain it is that Wainwright will take some of the weight off Lawton and Stevenson with McIntosh, make up the line. There is a chance that Joe Mercer will be at right-half, but if not Grant will fill the berth. Mercer has recovered from vaccination, but is just now getting over an attack of influenza so there is a doubt. Watson will be at left-half and Tommy Jones there to constitute the hub of the defence. Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer or Grant, Jones (T.G.), Watson; G. Makin, E. Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Charlton have moved up into third place thanks to their 2-1 at Everton.
Everton Reserves; Prince; Woodcock, Ireland; Ashley, McDonnell, Rainford; Turner, W.C. Higgins, Wyles, Nuttall, Ringstead.
Everton Colt’s (v.Rockville United at Orrell-lane, 3.15 p.m.) A. Roberts; Melling, Lever; Barrett, H. Williams, Lamb; Dolby, Bergin, Lane, P. Taylor, A.E. Higgins.

December 17, 1943. The Evening Express.
Pilot’s Log
Everton and Manchester City have a little duel all on their own. They are out of the championship race, but their two matches will decide which club finishes the higher. The City are two points ahead at the moment but Everton should level it tomorrow when they clash at Goodison Park in what should be one of the most attractive games we have had here this season. Look at the stats. In the Everton ranks will be internationals Lawton, Tom Jones, Stevenson and Jackson and possibly Mercer. In the City ranks we have internationals in Peter Doherty and Frank Swift. The City are certainly bringing a menacing side, for they will again have Bob Eatswood, of Aldershot, to partner Jackson at back-and Eddie Eastwood will be flanked by Walsh and McDowell. Jimmy Heale the former Bristol City player, now in the Manchester Police will lead the forwards with Williamson of Glasgow Rangers and Boothway also on duty. Believe me this City team looks the goods, but if Everton’s new right wing partnership proves a success, I think the Blues will win. On the flank we shall see Eddie Wainwright and George Makin linking up for the first time. Wainwright inclusion was advocated only this week by a reader. The reader’s thoughts must have been “read” by Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly. Makin is an outside-left with plenty of League experience, who is a two-footer, and with any amount of courage and ideas. The duel between the brilliant youngsters Eddie Wainwright and Tommy Lawton should constitute a feature. Lawton has now recovered from his sore ankle tendons which troubled him at Chester. Mercer is still doubtful but there is the willing and versatile Jackie Grant ready to step into an Everton team of great possibilies, but which will have to be right on song to outwit the City in a game starting at three o’clock. Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer or Grant, Jones (T.G.), Watson; G. Makin, E. Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Manchester City; Swift; Jackson (L.), Eastwood (R), Walsh, Eastwood (E.), McDowell; King, Williamson, Heale, Doherty, Boothway, Reserves L. and G. Barclay.

December 17, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have an attractive fixture with Manchester City at Goodison Park and as the City usually do well there the match is open to speculation. Everton’s recent form has not been encouraging for, following their big victory at Crewe they have won only one point from three games. They dropped a point to Crewe in the return and Chester took all four points. There has been a lock of penetration among the forwards, and not since McIntosh took all five goals against the Alexandra have they found the net. On the other hand, the City have been doing extremely well, and with the return of Doherty, the attack has been showing excellent form. Doherty is one of the big attractions of the game. Some say he is the best inside forward playing. Well, there are few better, and his inclusion in the line makes for cohesion. The Irish international “makes a partner, but, more than that, he is a goal scorer. I am glad to see Grant back in the Everton half-back line for I feel sure he is better there than as a forward. Watson showed not the slightest trace of his injury last week and gave an excellent exhibition of half back play. He moves over to the left so that the Everton left wing should be stronger than ever. But I would impress upon Stevenson and company not to forget that there is a right wing. It is a new one, for G. Makin and E. Wainwright the Southport player, are partners. Teams; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer or Grant, Jones (T.G.), Watson; G. Makin, E. Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Manchester City; Swift; Jackson (L.), Eastwood (R), Walsh, Eastwood (E.), McDowell; King, Williamson, Heale, Doherty, Boothway, Reserves L. and G. Barclay.

December 18, 1943. The Evening Express
Swift Shines in City Goal.
By Pilot.
Joe Mercer, the international half-back made a welcome re-appearance for Everton today, when Manchester City were at Goodison Park. Everton tried their young right wing of Makin and Wainwright. Doherty was absent from the City team, Bardsley being at inside-left and Percival deputised for Walsh at right half. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson (G.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tommy) (captain), and Grant. Half-backs; Makin, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, and McIntosh, forwards. Manchester City; Swift, goal; Jackson (L.), and Eastwood (R.) (Aldershot), backs; Percival, Eastwood (E.), McDowell, half-backs; Barclay (G.), Williamson (Rangers), Heale, Bardsley, and Taylor, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Baker (Crewe). Swift came out to dispose of Everton’s first attack by fisting away, as Lawton ran in to try and connect will Jackson’s punt. Then Swift ran out to take charge of McIntosh’s centre after a delightful move, during which the ball passed straight across the entire Everton forward line from outside right. Jones headed off Williamson as the Ranger’s player was racing in to goal. Lawton let go from the edge of the penalty area, but the ball swung wide of the post, before Bardsley and Taylor gave Everton some anxious moments but the defence prevailed. There was a premature cheer for a goal when McIntosh cut and shot but the ball passed inches wide of the far post, with Swift well beaten, and Wainwright was also just off the mark when he came through with an enterprising shot. Both sides were playing good football, the ball being kept on the floor and moved neatly to the open spaces.
Flashed Across Goal.
Lawton and McIntosh combined nicely before McIntosh flashed a shot across the face of the goal, with Swift making an unavailing effort to connect. Lawton veered to the left to snap up a quick pass and worked towards goal. The ball ran too fast for him as he was about to shoot, and Swift, quick as lightning, dived at Lawton’s feet to save. Everton took the lead in 25 minutes through McIntosh in remarkable fashion. Swift was injured in saving and as he was lying on the ground the ball went out to Stevenson standing just inside the penalty area. Stevenson promptly headed the ball to the unguarded net, and just as it was passing under the bar Eastwood fisted it out. McIntosh made no mistake from the resultant penalty, but Swift in driving was again injured but was able to resume. A perfect movement between Heale and Williamson opened up the way for Barclay to shoot in magnificently, but Burnett was right on the spot.
Lead Increased
Everton increased their lead in 37 minutes through Lawton, but chief credit went to McIntosh. McIntosh, after trying to break through for a shot, outwitted Percival and Jackson practically on the goalline, and then centred to the far post where Lawton headed into the net. Stevenson went to outside left to rob Eastwood (E) and dribble close into goal, but when he attempted to pass to Lawton, Swift dived out to intercept and save a certain goal. Swift was the busy man, and now he dived to turn aide another flashing shot from McIntosh and then dived to stop a drive from Wainwright, before coming out to pull down McIntosh’s centre. Everton were doing practically all the attacking now, but were reluctant to shoot, so the City defence had time to recover. Stevenson was brought down on the edge of the penalty area, but Swift dived to make another fine save. Makin missed a golden chance when Swift pushed aside McIntosh’s centre right to his feet, but the winger in his eagerness, turned the ball over the top. Stevenson dribbled through and gave to McIntosh, who netted but the whistle had already gone for a free kick for a foul on Stevenson right on the edge of the penalty area. Tommy Jones took this and lobbed the ball over the barrier of players into the corner of the net.
Everton 3, Manchester City 0
Everton were soon attacking again on the resumption, McIntosh, Stevenson and Lawton being ever-present menaces in front of Swift. Swift twice dived out to prevent close-range shots, before Lawton just failed to get hold of the ball when perfectly placed. Having survived this pressure the City played with greater confidence, Williamson engineering some excellent attacks and proving the one City forward with a shot in his locker. One drive from Williamson proved too hot for Burnett to hold, but the goalkeeper dived back to grab the ball as it was crossing the line. The City’s offside trap worked well to save them worry and goals, with Everton still the more dangerous goals, with Everton still the more dangerous and effective side.
Fine Defence
Tommy Jones and Jackson distinguished themselves with some perfect defensive collaboration, and then Jones went well forward to give Swift a shot from close range. Everton increased their lead in 78 minutes, with a picture goal by Stevenson. Started by Jones, the ball moved to Grant to Stevenson, to Lawton and back again to Stevenson who darted through to net as Swift dashed out in a vain effort to save. Burnett saved from Williamson and then managed to turn over the top a shot by Heale taken from three yards. Final; Everton 4, Manchester City 0.
Liverpool Res v. Everton Res
Liverpool were on top, and Prince saved brilliantly. Five minutes from the interval Liverpool took the lead through Garner and Gould added a second.
Half-time; Liverpool Reserves 2, Everton Reserves 0.

December 18, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson (G.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tommy) (captain), and Grant. Half-backs; Makin, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, and McIntosh, forwards. Manchester City; Swift, goal; Jackson (L.), and Eastwood (R.) (Aldershot), backs; Percival, Eastwood (E.), McDowell, half-backs; Barclay (G.), Williamson (Rangers), Heale, Bardsley, and Taylor, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Baker (Crewe). Everton, will internationals Lawton and Jones (T.G.) and Mercer, had the advantage on paper over the City, who had to turn out-without their forward star. Doherty, at Goodison Park today. Lawton was eager to shoot, and when he got a pass from Stevenson, he swung round at the ball from 30 yards out, but his direction was poor. Taylor again was prominent for Manchester and his shot from a Bardsley pass went inches over. Everton trial wing Makin and Wainwright, was early prominent with some nice combined movements from one of which only offside prevented Lawton from scoring. Twice McIntosh came near scoring for Everton with angled drive which, although they beat Swift, swung just wide of the goal.
Penalty Lead
Manchester came in flashes, and Taylor was again their chief raider, as Heale was well held by Jones (T.G.). At 25 minutes, Everton took the lead from a penalty taken by McIntosh. Lawton was going through when Swift ran out and collide with him, the ball going back to Stevenson who lofted it into the empty goalmouth, where R. Eastwood handled it out as his goalkeeper lay on the floor. Swift recovered after attention, but in attempting to save the penalty again measured his length on the ground, but was able to resume. Manchester’s only scoring chance in the first half came after a Williamson –Barclay move, the former hitting the side rigging with his shot. At the 35th minute Stevenson-McIntosh brought the ball down from well inside the Everton half, and after tricking at least four defenders McIntosh lofted a centre over which Lawton placed in the net with a header which he squeezed past the post. Taylor was still the City’s most penetrative forward, but he got little chance from George Jackson. Everton’s third goal came at the 45th minute, after Wainwright had netted a goal which was disallowed. Apparently before he shot Stevenson had been fouled on the penalty line. T.G. Jones took the free kick, and instead of driving the ball against the wall of defenders, he calmly lobbed it over their heads and wide of Swift.
Half-time; Everton 3, Manchester City nil. In the second half Everton eased off and as a result Manchester had much more of the play, although Burnett was not seriously trouble to field shots by Williamson and Barclay. Stevenson made Everton’s score four 12 minutes from the end, dribbling around Jackson and then booking the ball past the advancing Swift. A shot by Heale was turned away by Burnett for a corner. Heale’s next header was turned over the bar. Final; Everton 4, Manchester City nil.
Liverpool Res v. Everton Res
In this George Mahon Cup-tie Garner scored for Liverpool after 40 minutes and three minutes later Gould netted a second. Half-time; Liverpool Res 2, Everton Res 0.

December 20, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Everton 4, Manchester City 0
Unusual Scoring Incidents
Giving a more satisfying display-than they have done for some weeks Everton won more comfortably against Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday than the score of 4-0 suggests. The return of Mercer strengthened the half-back line, where Grant again proved his worth, while forward, the McIntosh-Stevenson wing was in brilliant form, and Lawton, taking the weight of the City defence on his broad shoulders, was always a danger to Swift, the visitors’ goalkeeper, who gave a grand display despite several hard knocks. The new Makin-Wainwright wing did not have many chances to shine, but are worth persevering with, particularly the inside man, who was always well up to take advantage of Lawton’s headed passes. Manchester on the other hand, were rather lost without their key man, Doherty –he could not make the journey –and as a result their attack lacked thrust chiefly because T.G. Jones blotted out Heale, and the inside forwards played too far back to take full advantage of some good passes from Taylor, their chief raider, who also went near with a couple of shots.
Freakish Goals.
Two of Everton’s goal were unusual affairs Lawton was going through to send in one of his “cracker-jack,” specials when swift dashed out and they collided. Swift measured his length on the ground and the ball went back to Stevenson, who calmly lobbed it towards the empty goal, Eastwood (E.) ran in and back-handled the ball out, McIntosh made no mistake with the penalty kick, and Swift collapsed again after trying to save. The other freakish goal came in the last minute of the first half, Stevenson, this time, seemed set for goal when he was fouled just outside the penalty line; the ball went to Wainwright, who netted, but the previous refringement nullified the point. From the free kick, however T.G. Jones ignored the settled ranks of defenders in front of him and lobbed the ball over their heads and the arms of the advancing Swift into the net. Ten minutes previously Lawton had squeezed a header around the post from a McIntosh centre, and in the second half Stevenson scored one all on his own, cleverly drawing the defence and using body swerve to elude a last-gap tackle by Swift. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson (G.) and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (Tommy) (captain), and Grant. Half-backs; Makin, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, and McIntosh, forwards. Manchester City; Swift, goal; Jackson (L.), and Eastwood (R.) (Aldershot), backs; Percival, Eastwood (E.), McDowell, half-backs; Barclay (G.), Williamson (Rangers), Heale, Bardsley, and Taylor, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. Baker (Crewe).
• Liverpool beat Tranmere Rovers 9-2. Gulliver, Beattie (3), Done (3), Balmer, Welsh, for Liverpool and Glidden, and Jackson for Tranmere.

December 20, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Most spectators came away from Goodison on Saturday well satisfied that if Everton can continue to field a side that can serve up such delightful football plus the necessary number of goals for victory, there will be little to worry about in the second half of the season. True, the home side had three internationals out, here was Manchester City were without Peter Doherty yet it was the youngsters of the side who took the eve for future references. Grant, as left-half gave as good if not a better display than Mercer, McIntosh was scintillating in partnership with old “warhouse” Stevenson, while the experimental wing of Makin-Wainwright has distinct possibilities and I am sure Lawton found it a great help to have an inside man who played up with him. There were distinctive features about all Everton’s four goals. There was a Lawton header which only he could possibly have got; a Stevenson “special” one of those “little-man-all-alone” efforts. McIntosh’s penalty after a certain goal had been fisted out by a City full back and finally a beautifully-placed free kick by T.G. Jones which defeated the massed army of defenders and also Swift. Manchester made valiant efforts to break down the Everton defence, but their forward line lacked the inspiration of a Doherty and Heale could not get going against T.G. Jones. Taylor was their best forward with Williamson and Bardsley always ready to shoot but without fortune.

December 20, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton completed their home programme for No 1 championship with an easy victory over Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday. The Blues won 4-0, but had it not been for international Frank Swift I think Everton would have deprived Liverpool of the honours of being sweep-winners. This was the second grand display Swift had given the Goodison habitués in a fortnight and once again they rose to him. Swift survived a couple of injuries and he made innumerable masterly saves, Swift himself joined in the laughing when he and his colleagues stretched across in front of goal, were completely hoodwinked by Tommy Jones’s clever hook over their heads into the net to chalk up goal number three. That Jones touch was the acme of quick thinking just as was Stevenson’s enterprising header to a vacant not earlier on when Bob Eastwood deputised for Swift by fisting out and so giving Everton the penalty from which Jimmy McIntosh started the scoring. Up to that time the City had treated the spectators to some fine approach football, but they lacked a marksman, and passed and re-passed to an extent which lightened the task of the Everton defenders. Not until it was too late did the City decide that shooting was the best policy and then it became a sort of one man affair, for Williamson was the only forward ready to have a go. Everton might have had more goals had they troubled to every through all attacks, but they had time to take things more easily after Lawton’s header had supplemented the penalty goal, and when Stevenson went through for the fourth goal twelve minutes from time the life went out of the game. Apart from Swift Eddie Eastwood a fine display was his against Lawton –and Barclay, the City had no players to compare with the masterly Everton suppliers of the arts and crafts. Even Eastwood, so good in defence could not match Tommy Jones, who was right at his best in the graceful manner which to the hall-mark of rhythmic pivotal play.
Grant’s Best Role
If this game contained a lesson it was that Jackie Grant is a natural wing half-back. I am not going to say that Grant was the best player afield, but I do assert that he was one of the major successes. Grant’s tackling; possession in sticking to the man in possession and cunning like of the ball was a feature. On the other flank it was grand to see Joe Mercer in action again. The recent attack of influenza prevented Joe from being so strong and quick in going to the ball but on it he was excellent with all the old manipulative skill. I liked the clever way on which Jones co-operated with the ultra-reliable Jackson and Greenhalgh, while in attack there was nothing to compare with the genius of Stevenson. Stevenson was the fountain-head of most attacks, switching the scene of action in a trice, and, with Lawton bringing out the best of the willing McIntosh, I liked the persistence of Wainwright who battle grimly all through, but Makin was not happy on his wrong flank. Burnett did his piece, small as it was without blemish. The 7,188 biggest attendances in the north and second biggest in the land –spectators had plenty to keep them thrilled and amused but the outcome was never really in doubt. Chairman Mr. Will Gibbins entertained a large company, including a good sized naval contingent. In the boardroom it was good to see Captain Tom Percy home on leave to join directorial colleagues in Messrs Ernest Green, Dickie Williams, Bob Turnbull and Dick Searle, while young Harry Cooke now on the R.A.F and a former member of the office staff, was there on leave also to see the message from his predecessor Harold Pickering, now in the Middle East.
The sad news from Goodison is that Jackie Lyon, the Everton inside-left who comes from Whiston, and was gained schoolboy international honours, is reported missing. Here’s hoping for better news speedily.

December 2, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton’s team outlook places the club in a happy position. Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly states that for Saturday’s visit to Manchester City at Maine-road there will be only one alteration in the side which beat the City 4-0 on Saturday, although two positions are affected. Gordon Watson, who had to pull out of Saturday’s game because of indisposition, will be at his usual position at left half, and this will enable Jackie Grant to go to outside right in place of Makin as partner to young Wainwright. Joe Mercer will be available again, and Joe should have benefited from his run last Saturday when he was still recovering from an attack of influenza. Tommy Lawton will be there again but there is just a doubt about Tommy Jones for the Manchester game. Should the Welsh international not be able to get away Matt McDowell, the Haydock lad will deputise. Tommy Jones is a certainty for Monday’s cup-tie against Chester at Sealand-road Stadium, and the remainder of the side will be the same as that on Saturday. With this personnel Everton have a good chance of scoring a nice Christmas “double.” Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy) or McDonnell; Watson, Grant, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Cook’s New Role
An interesting letter is to hand from a colleague, T.C Aspinwall, of Liverpool now in the R.A.F in India. He sends news about Billy Cook, Everton’s Irish international full back. The R.A.F boys lead the seven club league which opened in October, and recently the leaders played a representative Army side. Playing with the soldiers was Cook not at back, but at inside-right! No doubt Billy penalty spot winners have induced him to try his luck in the attack. “We English boys didn’t half pull the legs of our Scottish pals after England’s 8-0 win at Manchester,” writes my colleague, “and the boys here were keenly interested to see that Liverpool had completed the “double” over Everton.

December 21, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton followers are left out in the cold over Christmas, for the Goodison side away to Manchester City on Christmas Day, also journey to Chester on Boxing Day for the first Cup qualifying game. Apart from the fact that Watson now happily completely recovered from his long standing ankle injury, is at left back, which allows Grant to go outside right in place of Makin. Everton hope that their team for the visit to Maine Road will otherwise be the same as last week. Mr. Theo Kelly also hopes to field the same eleven for the Chester game. There is a slight doubt whether T.G. Jones will be available for Manchester but he is definite for the Boxing Day match. If not available on Saturday McDonnell will take his place. From all accounts Everton gave a much better show last week than for some time past, and their final position in the table, if not as high as one would like, is reasonably satisfying considering the sometimes difficult circumstances which have surrounded their team raising efforts. Team for Manchester; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy) or McDonnell; Watson, Grant, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.

Everton Player Missing
Liverpool Daily Post - Tuesday 21 December 1943

Everton have received news that Jack Lyon, their former English International schoolboy inside left, Is reported missing on active service. Lyon Joined the Everton Club when he was about 15 and was captain the B team He had captained the Lancashire Schoolboys''Xl. and played for England In the schoolboys' International. In war-time games he made several appearances with the senior side, both at inside and outside left, while he also played as a guest with Liverpool against Preston Deepdale. when he scored the Airfield team's only goal. He hails from Whiston,

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 21 December 1943

An interesting letter is to hand from colleague. T. C. Aspinwall, Liverpool, now in the R.A.F. in India. He tends news about Billy Cook. Everton's Irish international Full-back. The R.A.F boys lead the seven club league which opened in October, and recently the leaders played a representative Army side. Playing with the soldiers was Cook, not at back, but at inside-right. No doubt Bill's penalty spot winners have induced him to try his luck in the attack. We English boys didn't half pull the legs our Scottish pals after England'S 8-0 win at Manchester,” writes my colleague, “and the boys here were keenly Interested to see that Liverpool had completed the double ' over Everton.”

December 24, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It comes hard on Everton that they should have to make two journeys during the holiday –and against such stiff opposition. The Blues go to Maine-road tomorrow, and then on Monday make their third journey of the season to Chester. Yes, hard games both, but looking at the Blues personnel, I have a feeling they may land a few points. Everton were much superior to the City last Saturday winning 4-0, and with Lawton, Mercer and Stevenson again available I take them to at least avoid defeat. Tommy Jones is doubtful for tomorrow –McDowell stands by as deputy –but will play at Chester. Watson returns for both games, and Grant will be outside right. One spot of good news for the Blues’ followers is that Joe Mercer expects to be here for the return cup-tie with Chester on New Year’s Day. Everton lost both their games at Chester in the League by the only goal, but this time I think they will make a cup win pay for all in what should be a grand game. Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy) or McDonnell; Watson, Grant, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh. Chester (from); J.V. Brookbank, Scales; Walton, Bates, McNeill; Cole, Dutton, Hughes, Tagg, J. Veacock, Loxham, E. Bryan, Astbury, J. O’Neill, Roberts, Newsome.

December 24, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton have two stiff away games over the holidays, but if they can reproduce the form which enabled them to beat Manchester City by such a convincing margin they may win both. The City ground is not one of Everton’s happy hunting grounds, and if Doherty returns to the City attack he will bring into it the necessary skill to make a blend. This was what was required at Goodison Park, where the forwards were more or less a collection of units. The City if they can strike one of their good moods, are distinctly good, so Everton must be prepared for a hard tussle. Joe Mercer plays again and will be in much better trim than a week ago, for he was hardly fully recovered from the attack of influenza. There is a doubt about Tommy Jones and if he is not available the young and strong McDonnell will take his place. McDonnell gave a rare display at Burnley, and should he strike that form again the City leader is going to have a hard time of it. Watson has come right back to his best, and in his rightful position as left half is going to make the left wing even more scintillating than ever. Outside right has been one of Everton’s sore spots since the injury to Lowe; many have been tried and found wanting, but Everton hope to have solved the problem by bringing up young Grant to partner Wainwright, who made an effective partner to Lawton last Saturday. Grant is a grand half back, but is such an enthusiastic player that he may fill Everton’s difficult position. Mr. Theo Kelly hopes to be able to field the same team against Chester at Sealand Road on Boxing Day. T.G. Jones is definite for that game. While there is nothing at stake in the Manchester City game, Everton must get off with a good start in the Cup which starts on Monday. Twice recently Chester have beaten them at the Stadium and are hopeful of doing it again, and will put a strong side in the field. The Cestrians are flattered as Everton have found to their cost, but I have an idea that Everton will win this Cup game. Teams; Everton (from) Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tommy) or McDonnell; Watson, Grant, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson, McIntosh.

Hartlepool Northern Daily Mail - Friday 24 December 1943
The last but one surviving member of the Preston North End "Invincible" team, Sam Thomson, a Scot for many years resident in Preston died last night, aged 81. He was one of the famous side that won the Cup without the loss of a goal and the League championship without losing a match in the 1888-89 season.  A stylish clever player, he could fill almost any position, but usually figured at outside left.  The last surviving "Invincible" is Bob Holmes a Preston man who was left back in that noted team. 

Lancashire Evening Post - Friday 24 December 1943
Sam Thomson, one of Preston North End’s famous “Invincible” died last night.  He scored the last of the three goals by which the Deepdale side won the F.A. Cup in 1889.  Thus he had a part in a football record which looks like standing for all times.  The then “Lancashire Evening Post,” of March 30th 1889. Stated with a touch of prophecy “North End now will be able to boast of having accomplished what there is very probability of ever being achieved again –n winning the League Championship without a single defeat and securing possession of the greatest of challenge cups without having a single goal scored against them,” The famous team had beaten the Wolves by 3-0 at Kennington Oval. 
Versatile Craftsman
Sam shared in this exceptional “double” triumph.  For his size -5ft 9in., 12st 3lb –he was almost a dainty player quick stylish constructive fast and a good dribbler.  Though he usually figured at outside left he had the versatility common to his famous colleagues..  One of North End’s many scots in the lustrous period, he had played for his country against Wales and Ireland in 1884, when with Lugar Boswell.  But “Billy” Joy, the old goalkeeper, also of Preston, can claim to be one of the “Invincible.” 
Preston Business
Sam gave up football after a few years.  His ankle as he said, had been punched to bits.  Mr. Thomson did at home, Ayresdon, Watling Street-road, East Ribbleton, after being in poor health for a few weeks.  He was the first landlord of the Hotel Continental, Riverside Preston and managed the business until he retirement some 20 years ago.  His wife Ellen, who died 21 years ago was the elder daughter of the late Mr. Thomas Croft, contractor. 

December 28, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Manchester City 3, Everton 5
Lawton, Everton leader, capped a successive first half of the season by his hat-trick in twenty-four minutes against Manchester City at Maine. Stevenson and McIntosh scored the other goals, and for Manchester City Williamson and Doherty (2).
• Liverpool Beat Tranmere 2-1, Done (2) and Glidden for Tranmere.

December 28, 1943. The Liverpool Daily Post
Chester 3, Everton 5
Everton Win Tight Game
Chester’s Fight
By Stork
Everton won the first leg of their cup tie game with Chester at Sealand-road by 5-3. But they had to fight desperately hard for their success, for the Cestrians, who included five amateurs in their side gave a really good account of themselves. This was one of the most entertaining games I have seen for a long time. The football particularly in the first half, was of excellent quality, quite up to the standard of pre-war soccer. Everton; with their star-studded side were naturally the more skilful eleven, but despite their great moves Chester hit back with similar ideas of their own, so that the 8,900 spectators quite the biggest gate since the war were highly pleased. Chester took the lead in six minutes, O’Neill scoring from Newsome’s free kick and they held that lead for half an hour, when Lawton got a ball and without allowing it to touch the turf swept it into the net in thirty-four minutes. Four minutes later Lawton had done the trick again, this time from Wainwrights pass. But Chester were not to be denied and Astbury scored an equalised at fourty minutes. Burnett was at fault with this goal, for he failed to punch the ball over as he intended. Thus the second half was resumed with matter’s all square. Almost in the first few minutes Loxham missed a sitter when he hit the foot of the post, and Veacock who took the rebound, also missed the target. Then at fifty-seven minutes a Lawton pass enabled Wainwright to score Everton’s third goal, but within a minute another free kick by Newsome saw O’Neill again equalise matters, but from that point Everton got a firmer hold of things and McIntosh scored a fourth goal from Lawton’s nice pass. He scored again ten minutes later, again from a Lawton pass, so that the England centre-forward had a big hand in Everton’s success. Everton’s football was excellent. There were rounds of brilliant passing, and Chester took a leaf from their book for they themselves had combination which was a credit to the youth of their team. The pity was that one side had to lose. Chester; Scales (Manchester City), goal; Bates and McNeill, backs; J. Tilson, Hughes, and Tagg, half-backs; Veacock (Marine) , Newsome, Loxham, Astbury and O’Neill, forwards. Everton; Burnett, goal; Jackson and Greenhalgh, backs; Mercer, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Watson, half-backs; Grant, Wainwright, Lawton, Stevenson and McIntosh (Preston), forwards. Referee; Mr. T. Bentley (Manchester).
• Liverpool beat Wrexham 4-0, Hulligan, Balmer, (2), Done.

December 28, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
The first leg of the League Cup between Chester and Everton provided one of the nicest games I have seen for an age. It had everything in it. Excellent contributes to the attractive display was no small one (writes Stork). They took a leaf out of Everton’s book in that they were determined to play as much good football as were possible, and although they were not quite so skilful as their opponents, they produced many cleverly-conceived movements which suggested that they were above the average Third Division club. Furthermore they gave Everton a fright, made them fight every inch of the way for their success, and this helped to provide the biggest war-time crowd to the Stadium with some capital fare. Everton’s first half exhibition was equal to any pre-war football I have seen. It was copybook stuff, some of their rounds of passing being clocklike in the precision. The ball was banged about as though it was on a string, and Chester instead of getting the inferiorities complex, simply doubled their efforts, emulating their more famous movements in many things so that we saw some “lovely stuff.” It was the sort of game over which you never tried. There was always something in it, and one of the main reasons why it was so was that Chester kept slapping in a goal in reply to one by Everton; in fact they took an early lead –rather a streaky sort of goal by O’Neill, and it took Everton some time to wipe it off the slate -34 minutes to be correct, and a grand goal it was by Lawton, who did not allow the ball to touch the ground, but swept it into the net like lighting. Four minutes later Lawton “was on the spot” again, but two minutes was all that Chester required for an equaliser. Just after the interval Loxham allowed a golden opportunity to pass him by, hitting the upright when he should have hit the back of the net, and Veacock from the rebound was even a worse marksman than his colleague. Everton again went in front, but before the cheering had subsided O’Neill had squared matters once more. Chester had certainly kept the game alight by their fight-back quality, but Everton there-upon changed tactics; they cut out some of the “fidding” taking the shorter course for goal, and before the final whistle McIntosh scored a brace both from Lawton’s passes. Hughes played soundly against Lawton and the youngster Tilston, against Stevenson and McIntosh did uncommonly well; in fact I have to hesitation in saying that Chester gave Everton a whole lot of anxiety before they finally got the better of them. Stevenson was in grand form, and so was Watson, who has come back to his best. Jones –aye, practically all of them. Chester were well satisfied with the result, and they had need to be for the side, which included five amateurs had preformed excellently against the star-studded Everton. If ht return at Goodison is as good there will be no grumbles.

December 28, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
The curiosity about Everton’s two games was that their winning scores, both against Manchester City at Maine-road and at Chester were 5-3. And I am assured that the players showed Directors Messrs Ernest Green and Dick Seale and Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly, who travelled to both games, touches of the real Everton. The Manchester game reached heights of pre-war standard, with Everton revealing artistry and finishing power. Tommy Lawton scored the “hat-trick” in 24 minutes, and Stevenson and McIntosh followed with goals –all hurricane shots. Frank Swift actually got his hands to four of the drives, but was powerless to hold them. City’s third goal came from a penalty. Mr. Mr. Kelly described this as Everton’s best display since the Blackpool game last season. Yesterday was the repeat dose at Chester but Everton got no flying start here. Far from it. Chester dashed into the lead right away, but it was Lawton who not only equalised, but placed Everton ahead. Chester were on terms before the interval, and then Wainwright converted a centre from McIntosh. Again Chester tied it up, and a desperate battle was seen between two tip-top teams, with the issue always in doubt. McIntosh cut in to bang home a perfect leading goal, and clinched the deal when he raced in to not only head home a perfect Lawton pass but himself finish up in the net. The score was a true reflex of the game, but Chester were not far behind Everton, and in fact, gave an exhibition which would have been sufficient to beat most teams. I am delighted to know that Gordon Watson came through the two tests so well that young Eddie Wainwright more than justified his inclusion. Jackson and Greenhalgh gave a perfect example of back yesterday, while the entire team operated with refreshing spirit and understanding. O’Neill, who has been playing with Marine, was Chester’s star forward. O’Neill (2) and Astbury scored or Chester in a game which suggested that both of these clubs will qualify.
Everton have cause for grumbling that they had no chance of a home game at this vital holiday time, but shared in an attendance of 16,468 at Manchester and brought to Sealand-road, Chester, yesterday, its biggest war-time crowd –just over 9,000. So it did not work out so badly for the Blues after all.

December 29, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
For the return game with Chester at Goodison Park on Saturday Everton will make one change compared with the side which did so well over the holiday. As Lawton is playing for the Army against the Scottish Command at Ayr –in which match also three Liverpool men in Welsh, Westby and Balmer take part-Everton have burrowed Boothway from Manchester City to lead their attack. Boothway a well-built and useful centre forward, who has played here several times in war-time matches should do well. Team; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Grant, Wainwright, Boothway, Stevenson, McIntosh.

December 29, 1943. The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
Everton introduce a new centre-forward for their League War Cup-tie with Chester at Goodison Park on Saturday, as Tommy Lawton is due to go to Ayr –with Welsh, Balmer and Westby, of Liverpool –to play in the Army game. This is Boothway, the Manchester City forward, a big strong, bustling type of player who should do well. Boothway has been playing outside left for the City since Jimmy Heale’s return, but is essentially a leader. The remainder of the Everton team is unchanged and Joe Mercer, as I said, is again available. Grant and Wainwright again constitute the right wing of attack. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Grant, Wainwright, Boothway, Stevenson, McIntosh.
Everton Reserves (v. Carlton, at Helsby road); Prince; Woodcock, Moore; Ashley, McDonnell, Eves; A.N. Other, Comer, Cooper, Nuttall, Ringstead. (May 30, Evening Express).

December 31, 1943 The Evening Express
Pilot’s Log
It will be a case of “welcome home” to Everton tomorrow when the Blues entertain Chester at Goodison Park. Only once out of the last five match days have Everton had the opportunity of playing at home. That was the test with Manchester City. Travelling, however, did not upset Everton much over the Christmas holidays for they won both matches, and tomorrow should complete a nice cup “double” at the expense of Chester. It is true that Chester have twice beaten Everton this season, and on Monday they made the Blues battle every inch of the way before going down 5-3. Everton will not have Tommy Lawton tomorrow –he is one of the stars “Ayr-bound” –but Secretary Mr. Theo Kelly has been fortunate to secure a new “guest” player in the person of Boothway, the bustling Manchester City player. Boothway is a rare lad for cracking them home, and if Stevenson and Wainwright can create the openings Boothway will take them. Boothway too, has the build to take full advantage of crosses from the wings. Everton will field the half-back line which helped them to win the 1939 League championship, and this trio should constitute the main power in a good team which should have that extra move calculated to bring about the downfall of a Chester side featuring several stars, and with a nice blend of youth and experience. This should be a really fine game, starting at three o’clock, with Everton chalking up their fourth successive win. Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Grant, Wainwright, Boothway, Stevenson, McIntosh. Chester; (from); Scales; Walton, Bates, McNeill; Cole, Hughes, Tagg; Roberts, Newsome, Loxham, Astbury, A.N. Other.

December 31, 1943. The Liverpool Echo
Ranger’s Notes
Everton, with memories of their narrow escape from the Cup exclusion last season –they were 31st among the 62 qualifiers –will make a special effort this term to ensure that they are not hanging on by the skin of their teeth when the final reckoning is made. For the benefit of anybody still a bit hazy about Cup arrangements let me mention that the 56 clubs in the North section play ten qualifying games – home and away against five opponents –between now and the end of February, when the leading 32 go into the hat for the first round proper. Everton’s opponents are Chester, Crewe, Liverpool, Wrexham, and Tranmere. Last year they had Manchester United and Southport instead of Crewe and Wrexham. So that this season’s programme looks on paper slightly easier. The Blues started off with a good win against Chester last week, but victory is not thereby automatic in the return at Goodison Park tomorrow. Chester won a thrilling game in the corresponding match here last season by the odd goal of nine, on which occasion McIntosh got a couple of grand goals for the visitors. This time Everton have his assistance and the Preston man’s value is evident from the fact that not only has he bagged 17 goals in 19 games from outside left, but has provided many scoring chances for the inside men. With Lawton absent, Everton have barrowed Boothway from Manchester City to lead the line. On the occasions he has been here with City I have seen him play some contrasting games, some times very good, sometimes anything but. If he is in his best form tomorrow he will gave Billy Hughes a warm time, for on his day he is a dangerous raider. Chester hope to bring one of the strongest sides they have turned out this season, and everything points to a keen tussle, with little in it either way, though I fancy Everton’s pre-war half-back line will be good enough to lay the foundation of a home win. Teams; Everton; Burnett; Jackson, Greenhalgh; Mercer, Jones (Tom), Watson; Grant, Wainwright, Boothway, Stevenson, McIntosh. Chester; (from); Scales; Walton, Bates, McNeill; Cole, Hughes, Tagg; Roberts, Newsome, Loxham, Astbury, A.N. Other.











December 1943