Everton Independent Research Data


February 1m 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The Whites against the Stripes was played on the ground of Liverpool at Anfield, and 12,000 spectators witnessed the one all draw with Everton' Bertie Freeman playing centre forward.

February 1, 1910. Dundee Courier
The funeral of Mr. David Storrier the famous internationalist, took place yesterday afternoon from his house in Panmure Street, Arbroath, to the Western Cemetery. The funeral was private.

February 2 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Berry, the well-known local player, has signed on amateur form for the Everton Club. He has been playing for Fulham, but finds the long journey inconvenient. Berry, who is the son of Mr. Edwin berry, ex-chairman of the Liverpool Club, has assisted England, in several amateur international matches and has played well as Woodward's partner. He was given a place in the England team against Ireland at Bradford last season. Berry often figured with Liverpool Reserves and occasionally played for the first team. He was also with Wrexham for a while. He can play at either side of outside right, but prefers the latter position.

Sheffield Evening Telegraph -Tuesday 1 February 1910
A Liverpool telegram states that Arthur Berry, the Amateur International, of Fulham, has signed on for Everton.

Nottingham Evening Post-Tuesday 1 February 1910
Everton have signed another outside right in Ernest Pinkney, who has been showing capital form for West Hartlepool Expansion this season. He is 21 years of age, stands 5ft. 9in., and weighs 10st. In addition to being a clever footballer, he has great reputation locally as a fine sprinter

Dundee Courier-Tuesday 1 February 1910
The funeral of Mr. David Storrier, the famous internationalist, took place yesterday afternoon from his house in Panmure Street, Arbroath, to the Western Cemetery. The funeral was private.

Walter Scott
The £750 which Everton have paid to Grimsby Town for the transfer Scott is the highest amount the “Fishermen " have ever received for a player, being £100 excess of the sum Manchester United paid for Charles Roberts.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph-Wednesday 2 February 1910
A. H. Berry, Oxford University and England, has signed amateur form for Everton, his reason for leaving Fulham being that the long journeyed interfere with his studies for the Bar.

Noted Amateur for Everton
Manchester Courier -Wednesday 2 February 1910
A. Berry, the amateur international outside right, having found the journey to Fulham, for which club played, very tiresome and often inconvenient, has signed on for Everton as an amateur. Frequently when he has played at Fulham, Berry has made the double journey to and from Liverpool on the same day. The distance is 400 miles—a day's travelling. He has parted with the Fulham club the best of terms, and has promised them, should he called South at any time, that the Fulham club should have his services they desired them. Mr. Berry, who is the son of the ex-chairman the Liverpool club, has represented his country in number of amateur international matches, and gained his cap from the Association in the match England v. Ireland, Bradford last year. He has in turn played with Liverpool, Wrexham, and Fulham. Mr. Berry is reading for the Bar. When at Oxford took his B.A. degree, with honours in jurisprudence. Arthur Woodlands, the centre half back. Yesterday signed an amateur form for Everton F.C.

Players for South Africa
The International Selection Committee announces the following players have been selected visit South Africa with the Association team which leaves England May 7: A Berry (Everton). V. J, Woodward (Chelsea) E. D. Wright (Hull City), (Sheffield United), Robert Crompton (Blackburn Rove s), Wedlock (Bristol City), and Fleming (Swindon). Nine other names will selected at the next meeting the committee.

Nottingham Evening Post -Wednesday 2 February 1910
Arthur Berry, Fulham's outside right, has been secured by Everton. There is something remarkable regarding this latest acquisition. An old Oxonian, Berry is a son of Mr. Edwin Berry, the ex-chairman of the Liverpool Football Club, and one would have thought he would have played for the Anfield organisation, but the football fates have decreed otherwise.

Dundee Evening Telegraph -Wednesday 2 February 1910
Everton in addition to getting Scott, goalkeeper, of Grimsby, and Pinkney, of West Hartlepool, have just gained a capture in the amateur, Arthur Berry, son the ex-chairman of the Liverpool Club. Berry has bad to cease connection with Fulham on account of the long, inconvenient journeys. He is studying for the Bar under his father as solicitor, and took his degree Oxford. He played for England against Ireland at Bradford last season.

Dundee Evening Telegraph -Thursday 3 February 1910
The Everton Directors have guaranteed J. Sharp and William Scott £500 each when they take their joint benefit match at Goodison, March 19, when Chelsea are the visitors. Should the gate exceed £1000 the players will share the lot. Scott, Lacey, and Harris will all take part in the Irish match against England, at Belfast, on February 12, the Everton Directors having granted the necessary permission.

Lincolnshire Chronicle -Friday 4 February 1910
Grimsby on Friday transferred their goalkeeper, Walter Scott, to Everton and though the amount the transfer fee is not made known at Grimsby, it is generally spoken of as having gone into four figures. The transfer has been brought about owing to the financial difficulties in which the Grimsby Club has been placed during the present season, a difficulty that at one time almost threatened to bring about the extinction the club at the close of the present season. Though Grimsby occupy the lowliest place in the table, their goalkeeper has been looked upon as one of the finest in the competition. His remarkable success in stopping penalty shots earned him the title all over the country as “Great Scott.” Last season he stopped three penalties awarded to Burnley in one match, and easily topped the list of penalty savers. Scott has played for Grimsby for two and half seasons, joining The club from Worksop, after he attracted the attention of the Grimsby directors in Midland League match. During the present season many have made overtures to secure Scott's transfer, Everton being one of the first to seek his services.

Athletic News- Monday 07 February 1910
By The Pilgram
The annocement that Arthur Berry had signed an amatuer form for Everton would naturally create wonderment in the minds of those not conversant with the recent trend of events in Liverpool.  His father was formerly the chairman of the Liverpool club, and the young Oxonian played for the League team during one of his vacations.  Then came the resignation of his father, who lives near Wrexham, and the Welsh club had the benefit of the yountful amateur's services.  When he signed on for Fulham there had been negotiations between him and Everton, but now he has found the journey to and from the Metropolis irksome.  i believe that the Oxonian, who is studying at present in his father's office in Liverpool, will be tried in the Reserve team, with a view to his subsequent promotion to the League eleven when Sharp is not available.  There is a fine chance just now for a capable outside right at Goodison Park and Everton have always had a warm regard for skilful amateurs.  I understand that when not wanted by Everton, Berry will play for the West Cheshire League club -Harrowby. 

Athletic News - Monday 07 February 1910
Everton 5, Woolwich Arsenal 0
By Junius
There is life in the Everton team yet, and evidently it only requires the mention of a Cup-tie for it to burst forth into full radiance.  In their recent visits to Goodison Park, Woolwich have created one or two surprises, but all these were wiped off the slate and a slight balance placed to their debit account by Everton’s grand display in the match under notice.  The Southerners who had been inhibiting the ozone at Southport for a week, were completely outplayed and soundly beaten by their opponents, and the final figures do not in any sense over-represent the marked superiority of the victors.  Everton started in a fashion that quite upset the calculations of their rivals, and within five minutes they had gained the lead, which was never wrested from them or even seriously challenged.  In the achievement of such a well-meritied victory, I am constrained to award chief credit to the Everton half-backs, each of whom exhibited his finest form.  They formed an almost impassable barrier to the Arsenal advances, while, on the other hand, when in attack, they could not be kept in check by the oppositioned.  Unto themselves they took a double role, and created the foundation upon which Everton built a monumental triumph. 
An Amatuer’s Example.
Straight from the start Young dashed through, and missed scoring by inches, but three minutes later he and Freeman worked the ball down, and the latter crossed to Sharp, who sent in a tremendous shot.  McDonald stopped it, but White regained possession and placed across the goalmouth to Barlow, who coolly steered the ball into the net.  The remainder of the half practically belonged top Everton.  Their forwards romped round the Arsenal intermediates, and their great pressure eventually secured its due reward.  Taylor started the movement in midfield; Freeman aided it by baffling the backs, and gave to Barlow, who promptly transferred to White, who was unmarked.  The ex-Bolton forward shot against the post, but Sharp was at hand, and he drove the ball at a rare pace through the goal.  Young was fairly bewildering the opposition by his trickery, and eventually a delighted sequence of passing between Taylor, White and Makepeace ended in the wily Scot darting past the backs and registering a rousing goal.  After the change of ends another combined advance between the Everton right wingers let in White, who was well within the penalty area and on the point of shooting when he was brought down from behind by McEachrane.  There was only one course open to the referee, and Sharp taking the kick, added goal number four.  For a time Woolwich shaped better after this reverse than at any previous period of the game, but subsequently Everton took up the running again, and Freeman shot against the bar when McDonald alone faced him.  The custodian saved brilliantly from Sharp, and then the outside right outpaced all his opponents, and calmly put the ball to Freeman’s feet.  This time the Everton centre made no mistake. 
Everton Experts
Not before this season have the Everton players exhibited such excellent form, and their strength was plainly apparent.  As I have already stated, the half-backs were the sheet-anchor, and each in his own characteristic way gave an admirable exhibition.  Makepeace was speedy, relentless in his tackling, and irreproachable in his deft ground passes to his forwards.  Taylor the veteran, in the centre, revelled like a schoolboy in his work, harassing the Arsenal vanguard, and flashing the ball judiciously to his own wings.  Harris, zealous as ever, and even more expert than usual in his interceptions, completed a line that left nothing to be desired, either in efficiency or skillful endeavor.  And after them came the wing forwards.  Young was most elusive, though I am loth to admit that at times he was inclined to overdo his trickery, which has often bewildered his own comrade as much as the opposition.  Barlow played a capital game, repeatedly beating the backs, and placing cleverly into the goal mouth, with a precision he has seldom equally.  I question whether White was not on a par with the best on the field.  He attended to the want of Sharp with an unselfish assiduity that was worthy of all praise, and his passing was just suited to his partner’s needs.  Sharp responded most spiritedly to these offers, and the right wing was as capable as the left, with both excellent.  The defence of the full-backs and Scott was never really tested;  there were isolated instances where they were called upon to display their ability, but such pressure as was brought to bear upon them by the disappointed attacks of the Southerners was not calculated to bring forth their finest qualities or their undoubted resources. 
Woolwich Weaknesses
I cannot say much in praise of the Woolwich team.  Their forwards were never allowed to settle down, and though at times Lewis and Greenaway showed glimpses of their real ability, they could not engineer a sustained attack on the Everton goal.  The attempts to score were faulty, and McKellar was outweighted in the centre.  Little support did their receive from their half-backs, for the latter were so engaged in endeavouring to check the fleet Everton wingers that they had but rare opportunities of attending to the wants of the men in front of them.  The defenders had to bear the brunt of the battle, and McDonald kicked sturdily and truly until the closing stages, when he had to cry enough.  Likewise Cross, who was overburdened with work, and the burly McDonald in goal also, who, however, could not be blamed for the severity of the defeat.  Everton; Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp, White, Freeman, Young, and G.H. Barlow.  Woolwich A; McDonald (H.); McDonald (D.), Cross; Ducat, Thomson, McEachrane; Greenaway, Lewis, McKellar, Bentey, and Neave.  Referee; A.E. Farrant, Bristol. 

Lincolnshire Chronicle-Monday 7 February 1910
Arthur Berry, the internationalist, signed by Everton last week as an amateur, has not been too conspicuously successful in the Fulham ranks this season. Yet he is a first-class forward, and should do well in front of Everton's halves, and alongside a partner like White. Berry has already assisted Liverpool League once or twice, but at inside right whereas he prefers to touch line. By the way, it would be strange if he should be called upon to make his debut for Everton v. Liverpool next Saturday.

Yorkshire Post -Monday 7 February 1910
Played at Goodison Park, before 20.000 spectators. The ground was on the soft side, but well sanded. Everton had all the better of the play, and after four minutes Barlow scored for Everton after Scott had saved. At the other end Sharp added second point and Young third one. Everton forwards played magnificent football. Interval—Everton 3 goals. Woolwich Arsenal none. Resuming before nearly 30.000 spectators Everton showed that were not satisfied with their lead. Woolwich were again subjected to pressure. After Greenaway had cleverly tricked Makepeace he overran the ball,. And from attacks by the Everton right, White was tripped in the penalty area. Sharp scoring from the penalty. Freeman later put fifth goal, and Everton were easy winners. Result—Everton 5 goals, Woolwich Arsenal none.

February 7, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Fa Cup Round Two.
That the Everton team have bounded into brilliant form was evident on Saturday, when they completely defeated or rather routed Woolwich Arsenal by five goals to nil. That they would qualify for the third stage of the Cup contest was generally anticipated by the club's supports but few indeed were prepared for so thoroughly a revolution that might have easily brought in its train an even more plentiful crop of goals. The earlier proceedings in the game gave one the impression that nothing was to be left to chance so far in the Everton players were concerned, and after having cut out the pace to their own particular liking, and moreover secured the necessary foundation to ultimate success, they never relaxed their grip of the game. The form shown by the Everton players from start to finish was a decided improvement upon and thing that has been witnessed at Goodison Park this season if one might except the game with Liverpool and repetitions of such dashing methods combined with danger in front of goal-two potent factors in Saturday's contest should find the club somewhere about when the distribution of final honours comes round.

There was a wide difference between the play of the two sets of forwards for the Arsenal with but a very few exceptions were unaccountably weak in front of goal, and some occasionally brilliant centres from the wings were wretchedly utilised. On the other hand, the Evertonians were quickly to take advantage of the slightest latitude given by the visiting players, and scoring dainty touches within the scoring area made no mistake in their endeavours to beat the Woolwich keeper. They entered upon their promising plan of campaign at the very outset, and as an attacking line they could scarcely have been excelled for they were exceptional keen on the ball, were generally accurate in their passing, and shooting along the line was invariable accomplished with a sting that kept the crowd of 28,000 spectators intensely interested. Making for goal was one of the leading features of their display, and when in difficulties there was effective triangular touches with the half-backs that invariably led up to a quick recovery. The Arsenal front line was not nearly so resourceful, and this was undoubtedly due to the alertness of the home trio, who would not entertain defeat and formed practically an impassable barrier. Towards the close, however, the Gunners had a few possible openings but they had by this time become completely disorganised, and were quite out of court.

In defensive methods the Evertonians also held a powerful lead, and it is questionable if ever there has been witnessed a more resourceful and effective display than was given by the three home halves. So able were their methods that the last line of defence had quite an easy' time while in addition there was a complete absence of aimless kicking. Then again an excellent understanding existed between the outside halves and the wings for passing was splendidly placed and accurately timed and it did not require a close observer to note the beneficial results that accrued. For once in a way the Woolwich halves were made to appear very small fry, for they were not allowed by any chance to get a grip of the game and even the usually polished right half was quite overshadowed. One can readily imagine that the rearguard were frequently in difficulties. As a matter of fact they were repeatedly overrun, and under the circumstances they were not altogether responsible for the pronounced defeat recorded against them.

The game had only been a minute in progress when Young missing scoring but success was not long deferred. Sharp had tested McDonald who could only effect a partial save with the result that White tapped the ball for Barlow to put on the finishing touch. Next came a brilliant save from Scott, who with outstretched arm deflected a fine shot from Benay, but for the most part the “Blues” were the more aggressive, and after play had been in progess seventeen minutes Sharp met a rebound from the foot of White, and registered the second goal. There was just now but one side in the picture, and ere the interval arrived Young had placed the issue practically beyond doubt as the result of some telling half back play between Makepeace and Taylor. After the resumption Everton still continued to hold the winning card, and ere ten minutes had elapsed Sharp forced further ahead from a penalty kick , as the result of White being brought down within the penalty area. With a four goal lead, there was a noticeable easing up by Everton, and Scott was then given several opportunities of displaying his skill. Shots of no mean order were rained in, Nerve being mostly concerned through Greenaway was always a force to be reckoned with. At the same time there was little suggestion of the ability of the Gunners to reduce the lead, and here the end came Freeman out on a fifth point after soon really clever work on the part of White and Sharp. Harris who had collided with McEachrare was carried off the field, but the accident was not of a serious nature, and the popular half quickly recovered. When the whistle announced the close the Arsenal were admittedly badly beaten, but in mitigation of the severity of their defeat let it be stated that they were unfortunate in finding the Everton half backs on really brilliant form and it is questionable of any attacking side as the country could have worn the trio down.

Coming to the players it would appear somewhat invidious in view of the result of the game to single out individuals for special commendation. Still the occasion calls for such particurily in the case of White who though he was the one Everton forward that failed to score, was without doubt the most effective worker in the van. He had several “near things” but the value of his work in attending to those on either side of him could not possibly be over estimated. Young also gave a pleasing display, so that the great success of Sharp and Barlow on their respective wings can readily be imagined. Freeman was well shadowed, but apart from this he did not approximate the Standard of his confreres. Sufficient has been indicated as to the cleverness of Everton's half backs, and the pity was that some of the F.A. selection committee were not present to witness the magnificent display of Makepeace. The whole-hearted Taylor looked well after the Arsenal inside men, and Harris completed a line that was mainly responsible for the great triumph of their side. The rearguard were never fully extended, though Scott had no occasion to give of his best and responded nobly. Only Greenaway and Neave accomplished anything above the ordinary in the Arsenal front line, and it came somewhat as a surprise to many that Ducat, who has recently caught the eye of the powers that he should have been so ineffective in dealing with the inroads of Barlow and Young. McDonald at right back together with the namesake in goal, stood the brunt of Everton's aggressiveness and under the circumstances did as well as could be expected. The gate receipts were returned at £842. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Woolwich Arsenal: - R McDonald, goal, DM McDonald and Taylor backs, Ducat, Clifton, and Jack half-backs Lewis, Greenaway, McFachrane, forwards. Referee AE. Farrant.

Athletic News - Monday 14 February 1910
Liverpool 0 Everton 1
By Junius
Five minutes from the finish of the game at Anfield, where the two Liverpool rivals were opposing each other for the twenty-eighth time under the auspices of the League, there was no score, and as a matter of fact, the acquisition of a goal seemed the most unlikely thing to happen.  Liverpool were attacking, and had forced a corner, when the ball came out to Sharp near the touch-line.  Espying Freeman unmarked in the centre of the field, he promptly placed the ball at his comrade’s feet.  In a trice the famous goal scorer was away, and with a delightfully placed shot he gave his side the victory.  Everton were certainly fortunate in winning, for taking the play throughout, Liverpool were the more aggressive side.  Especially was this the case during the first half, but the necessary finishing touches were not forth-coming. 
Scots Success.
The Anfield forwards were erratic near goal, many shots going wide of the mark, but on the other hand several were luckily cleared.  Yet the Everton defence was wonderfully sound during these onslaughts, and Walter Scott created confidence by the able manner in which he dealt with what ever came in his direction.  This was his first appearance with Everton, and her could scarcely have bene faced with a more trying ordeal.  Before the interval the Everton forwards were equally feeble, and Beeby rarely handled the ball.  With the exception of an occasional effort by Young and Sharp he was left severely alone.  Liverpool lost their chance in this half, and the forwards were entirely to blame.  They failed to open out the play, and dallied when an instantaneous shot ought to have been delievered.  Stewart foraged sediously for Goddard and Parkinson and he alone was alive to the necessity of flashing the ball goalwards without hesitancy.  As the interval drew near Liverpool made their most determined attack, and the Everton goal narrowly escaped capture. 
Allan’s Debut
Much interest was centred in Allan, a Bedlington youth, who was given his first trial in a League game, owing to Harris being required for the International at Belfast.  It was a severe trial for the Tyneside player, but I must congratulate him on his successful display.  He kept McDonald well under control, and showed a capital turn of speed.  His defensive work was most creditable and though not so skillful in placing to his forwards, he fully justified the confidence of the directors in promoting him to such an onerous post.  He sustained a nasty knock on the head in the second half, but he stuck to his task most pluckily.  Both sets of forwards were disappointing, for there was little combination shown, and the final efforts were extremely feeble.  Freeman and Parkinson were securely held by the opposing half-backs.  The former was not nearly so prominent as the Liverpool pivot, but it was characteristic of him to snap up that perfect chance near the finish.  Stewart played a capital game, but McDonald and Goddard were far below their customary form, and the play all round lacked life and fire.  On the Everton side Sharp was more frequently in evidence than Barlow.  Young was the pick of the line, and he experience bad luck with his shots.  Orr and White were occasionally tricky, but thrilling items were never forthcoming until Freeman obliged with his solo. 
“Drastic Defenders”
There was little to choose between the two half-back lines.  To Harrop I am inclined to award the palm.  Taylor vied with him for superiority, and the veteran gave Parkinson no latitude whatever.  Makepeace was stylish as ever, and Robinson was a rare worker, while Bradley, in the first half, shaped creditably.  At full back Everton held a slight advantage, for Clifford made no mistake, and judged his returns very ably, while Macconnachie gave a sound display all through.  Chorlton was the better of the Liverpool pair, his kicking being clean and effective, but Rodgers was often rash.  Beeby and Walter Scott must be complimented upon their work.  Neither was unduly tested, but they capably accomplished what they were called upon to perform.  Liverpool; Beeby; Rogers, Chorlton; Robinson, Harrop, Bradley; Goddard, Stewart, Parkinson, Orr and MacDonald.  Everton; Walter Scott; Clifford, Macconnachie; Allan, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp, White, Freeman, Young and G.H. Barlow.  Referee; Mr. F. Kirkham, Ben Rhydding. 

February 14 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
In their return League engagement at Anfield on Saturday the Liverpool team had to concede maximum points to their near neighbour after having enjoyed the greater share of the game. The earlier stages especially belied the result, for they practically commanded the situation by the manner in which they distributed work and made for goal. Indeed, they did everything that was necessary except score. It was in front of goal where they were mainly at fault, and had the dashing methods that led up to their repeated onslaught been continued when within the shooting area they must have had a foundation for ultimate success. Bu8siness like football in the open gave place to much finesse in front of the Everton backs. This desire to make things ease was pretty general among the forwards who found the last line of the visitors' defence in no humour to allow the slightest quarter. Right to the interval there was an all-round superiority prevalent that even the most biassed Everton follower could not fail to observe, and when ends were changed the popular verdict was that Liverpool should have held a leading position. It was a spiritedly contested first half, in which many of the nicer points of the game stood out prominently, but few were prepared for what followed.

The quality of play during the second period did not approximate the standard of the first half; still there were always possibilities that kept the spectators thoroughly interested. Play took a keener turn with the Evertonians more prominently in the picture, but like their opponents in the earlier stages they paid the penalty of hesitancy when favourably placed. Everton's strength during this period was concentrated in the half-back line. The close attentions of the trio to the movements of the home forwards could not fail to be observed by even the ordinary followers; and moreover rarely was an opportunity lost of plying those in front with openings that should have been utilised to better advantage. Yet, like the Liverpool quintet, there was a tendency to individual effort in the direction of making things absolutely safe, and as has been frequently experienced before such overdoing of the artistic cannot be depended upon to win matches. There were many occasions when a drive at the keeper's charge would have had a better chance of materialising than the fiddling methods that were adopted, and this was exemplified in greatest degree by Young, who was the most persistent of the line in his endeavours to defeat the Liverpool custodian. There were visions of a distribution of honours, when Freeman, five minutes from time, got the ball from Sharp immediately after a corner kick to Liverpool. The skipper was quick to notice that the centre was unmarked, and parting with the ball in midfield, Freeman racing between the backs, kept full control of the ball and scored the deciding goal of the game. Even then all was not over, for Stewart like Young in the first minute of the game, was afforded a capital opportunity of scoring, which went a begging. Thus Everton triumphed, and none that followed the contest observantly could come to any other conclusion that the Blues were fortunate in claiming the full spoils of victory.

The occasion, owing to International calls, served to introduce to followers of local football some interesting recruits. It was feared that the chance of such stalwarts as Scott and Harris on the Everton side, together with England's International keeper away from his customary position, would have materially affected the general issues of the game. But none of these bright particular stars were at all missed, as their deputies rose well to the occasion, and demonstrated to the full that they posses the necessary attributes that go towards making class players. Much interest was evinced in the first appearance of Walter Scott in the Everton goal, and there could be no questioning the fact that a more severe test could scarcely have been provided for any recruit to first-class football than one in which Local rivals enthusiasm plays so important a part. Let it be at once stated that the ex-Grimsby keeper justified all the good things that have been said and written concerting him, and that when occasion serves he is not likely to hide light under a bushel. He had full command of nerves was fearless in his efforts to save his charge, and had a ready conception as to the exact moment to challenge an opponents after his backs had been beaten. The latter he demonstrated on three occasions during the first half when parkinson had with a last tap, put the ball a shade too far forward. He anticipated the movement to a nicety, and saved the situation in the only possible way. Then again Allen at right half caught the eye of the crowd as a plucky and clever exponent of the game. Naturally he was in difficulties at the outset, but as play progessed he improvement considerably, and but for a severe knock sustained in the first half he would not have been far removed from being the most serviceable of the half-backs. His debut was eminently satisfactory, and the mangers of the Everton club are to be complimented upon their judgement in obtaining the services of such capable recruits. Beeby has, of course previously officiated between the upright for Liverpool's League team, and though he was not hard pressed on Saturday he accomplished all that was possible, and had no chances of saving the point recorded against his side.

Dealing with the visiting forwards, they were not nearly so convincing either in movement or finish, as on previous Saturday, Sharp was the most consistent, but in the later stages Young, who had previously been well held up, was the only player in the line that appeared likely to score. Freeman was under Harrop's wing, so to speak, and did practically little, but of course, his individual efforts at the finish compensated for a good deal. Barlow was a glutton for work, and was often prominent but his centres were not of a telling character, and rarely troubled Liverpool's defenders. On the Liverpool Side, Stewart was the most serviceable of the attacking line, and was somewhat unfortunate with several well-directed drives. The van as a whole were not sufficiently busting in their efforts to wear down Everton's defence, and would probably have carried off the honours had they resorted more frequently to popping at goal when within range. Parkinson did well generally, but failed to control the ball when preparing for a final effort. Goddard was often out of his reckoning with intended cross shot, and the left wing pair exhibited nothing above the average. The halves on both sides formed powerful lines, both in attack and defence, and while they compared very favourably, none who followed the game closely would begrudge the palm to Harrop. The part played by the respecting keepers has been alluded to. In the full back department the Everton pair were the most resourceful and reliable, and the value of this work, in the early stages especially, could not be over estimated. Honours on the season's League engagements are thus divided, for Liverpool won at Goodison Park and to compensate for their somewhat bad fortune on Saturday they had the solarium of a £1,300 gate.

Teams : -Liverpool: - Beeby, goal, Roger, and Chorlton, backs, Harrop, Bradley, and Goddard, half-backs, Goddard (Captain), Stewart, Parkinson, Orr, and McDonald, forwards. Everton: - Scott (Walter), goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Allan, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee Fred Kirkham.

February 14, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 23)
With a team which included such players as Turner, Borthwick, Stevenson, and an International right wing in the amateur Arthur Berry and “Tim” Coleman, Everton Reserves triumphed over the lovely placed Hyde team by nine to nil. From the commencement Everton showed an all-round superiority, the visitors never having a look in, and at the interval the Blues led by 5 goals to nil, the scorers being, Weller, Berry (two), and Gourlay (two). The second period was simply a repetition of the first, and Gourlay (two), Borthwick, and Coleman added further points. Berry made a splendid debut, being speedy and a good manipulator he centres with accuracy and judgement. Gault the new centre from Jarrow, also played a hood game, and although he was not amongst the scorers, he accomplished plenty of good work and has a splendid idea of a pivot's requirement. He is worthy of an extended trial . Everton: - C. Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Weller, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, A.Berry, Coleman, Gault, Gourlay, and Turner, forwards.

February 14, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
The International match between the Ireland and England at Belfast, was by no means a thrilling affair. The Irishman led at the interval, and eventually won by two goals to one. Scott, Harris, and Lacey of Everton playing for the Irish.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph -Friday 18 February 1910
During the morning, when the gale was its' height, the roof of the stand on-the Liverpool Football Club's ground was lifted off and on the Everton ground part of roof of small stand was damaged.

Damage to Grounds
Sunderland Echo -Friday 18 February 1910
Large stands on football grounds were notably singled out for destruction, Manchester, Liverpool, Everton, Willenhall, and Shrewsbury each being deprived of solidly-built structures lifted bodily up by the wind. The gale brought with in a large body of warm air from the Atlantic, with the result that the temperature in most places yesterday was several degrees warmer than on Wednesday.

February 21, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Fa Cup Round Three.
When the interval in the match between Everton and Sunderland arrived at Goodison Park on Saturday there was great jubilation among the players and supporters of the Wearsider club. Their satisfaction at the state of the game was quite justified, for Sunderland had battled for threequarters of an hour against half a gale and had held their own, and with no score at the interval it appeared that Everton's chance of reaching the fourth round of the English Cup competition had practically vanished. All the more remarkable therefore was Everton's splendid form in the second half, and at the finish they were well-deserved winners by a couple of goals to nothing. Terrific showers during the interval and nearly all the second half appeared to have the effect of reducing the power of the wind somewhat, and in this respect Everton were favoured by fortune, but their dashing display on a ground which was supposed to be all in favour of the heavier team entitled them to the honours of the game.

It was not a great game judged by the standard of the football shown. But the finer points of football under such conditions were out of the question. It was however, a game to be remembered, for a harder struggle could not be imagined, while there were no lack of sensation. Twice in the second half did Referee Mason of Burslem –himself an old player –stop the game on account of the rain, the reason being that he could not follow the flight of the ball in the storm. It was a storm too, on the occasion of the second stoppage, for the semi gale drove the rain over the top of the Stanley Park goal stand and straight down the field in a blinding shower. There did not appear to be much reason for the first stoppage, however, and some of the players, did not leave the field. It was remarkable that Everton should have scored a goal soon after play had been resumed following each stoppage. The turf in the first half had been in good conditions, but in the second portion it turned to mud, with pools of water here and there towards the end, but the Everton forwards controlled the ball with wonderful cleverness, and the concluding stages of the game were fought out to the accomplishment of prolonged cheering from the enthusiastic supporters.

The first half was a battle between the Everton forwards, and the Sunderland defence, with an occasional breakaway by the visiting attack. The Wearsiders did not scruple to kick out at every opportunity, while Roose's goal kicks invariable sent the ball among the spectators. The wind enabled Everton to press strongly, but made accurate shooting anything but easy and if Roose made splendid saves from Freeman, Sharp, Young, and Harris, in addition to other clearances. Sunderland came near scoring on two occasions. Once Low beat Cliiford, but as he shot at six yards range Macconnachie got in the way of the ball, while later on turned into the goal off Taylor, and Scott just had time to fall forward on the ball as he was tackled by a couple of opponents, a free kick bringing relief to Everton. The Blues, forced many corners, but could not get the better of an alert defence, and the Sunderland players did not conceal their delight, when the interval arrived with no score. The deluge during the interval made the ground very treacherous. Everton at once began to play a fine open game, and Freeman forced Roose to save a grand long shot. After ten minutes' play in which Everton had the best of matters, the referee stopped the game for a couple of minutes. On resuming Everton attacked furiously, and after the Sunderland goal had two narrow escapes, Makepeace scored with a shot from 30 yards' range, the ball sailing between Roose's hands and the bar. Everton delighted their supporters by the vigour of their attack, and many shots were rained upon Roose. From breakaway Scott saved well from Bridgett and Holley, while Clark hit the bar, the ball going behind. With fifteen minutes to go the game was stopped for the second time, and they soon after resuming, and following a corner, Taylor put the ball to Young, who scored at close range. Afterwards Sharp hit the post and Sunderland were a well-beaten side at the finish.

Everton's second half rally came as a rare surprise to the spectators, but we believe the players had expressed the opinion that they would be able to play quite as well against the wind as with it. At the same time their form in the mud was a revelation. There was not a weak spot in the team. Their defence was wonderfully good, Macconnachie playing a great game at full back. But the halves were the real power. The way they backed up their forwards in the first half, and held the Wearside forwards in check afterwards was superb. Harris and Makepeace often acting as an extra attacker, and Taylor working with tremendous energy. Sharp was the star performer of the forward line, his pace and cleverness being too much for Jarvie and Foster, but the whole line did well. Sunderland had a capable defence, the backs playing soundly throughout, but Thomson, the centre half was the stalwart of the side, and at times did the work of two men. The wing halves were not up to the Everton pair, while the forwards were disappointing against a grand half back line. Scott and Roose kept goal well, though the amateur took too many risks on such a day, and might have saved the first goal.

The game receipts totalled £1,498. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Taylor, and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp, White, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Sunderland: - L.R.Roose, goal, Troughear, and Forester, backs, Tait, Thompson, and Jervie, half-backs, Mordue, Clark, Low, Holley, and Bridgett, forwards.

Athletic News - Monday 21 February 1910
By Junius
Nineteen years have elapsed since Everton last met Sunderland in Cup-tie, and the Wearsiders were experiencing their season in the League when that occurred.  Their success by a goal to nil has long remained unavenged, but Everton received consolation at Goodison Park, on Saturday, when they overthrew the Northerners by two clear goals.  The weather completely spoiled the game, both from a spectator’s standpoint, and also that of the players.  A powerful breeze, which came in fitful, yet tremendous gusts, blew from goal to goal, and it was evident that the captain fortunate enough to win the toss would confer a district advantage to his side.  Sharp accomplished this satisfactorily, and thus Everton obtained the first grip on the game which led to their ultimate triumph.
An Even First Half.
Yet, curiously enough, they could not score a goal during the first half, and it is questionable whether they were assisted to any appreciable extent by having the wind at their backs.  Their forwards could not gauge its strength nor direct the ball accurately, and Roose was not tested to any great extent.  But the Sunderland defenders doubtless experienced the ill effects of having to battle against the breeze, and they came to resume after the change of ends.  There was little to choose between the rivals before the interval, and Sunderland were quite as dangerous as their opponents.  In the early stages Mordue compelled Makepeace to concede a corner after Bridgett had cleverly centred, and subsequently Clifford was nearly caught napping by dallying in his clearance.  A delightful cross from Low found all his comrades yards in arrears but Young was prominent with a thrilling drive, which grazed the post.  Ten minutes from the interval Everton made a persistent onslaught, Young again tested Roose, and Freeman sent in a fast ground shot which Troughear smarily intercepted.  In endeavouring to ward off another shot, the full back nearly baffled Roose, but when the interval arrived the score sheet was still blank. 
Everton’s Wonderful Rally
A complete change in the conditions was brought about during the interval.  Rain descended in torrents, accompanied by a driving pitless wind, and the surfaces of the ground was changed to a morass.  Murdue came very near scoring with a lightning centre, but Everton were having quite as much of the play as their visitors, when suddenly the referee stopped the game.  The ground was certainly treacherous, and the men were drenched, but that the latter did not expect the cessation was shown by several of them remaining on the field while others left.  In a minute the game was re-started, and shortly afterwards Sharp paved the way to the first goal.  His centre was not properly cleared by Roose, with the result that Barlow forced a corner.  This led to a tussle near goal, and the ball was sent out to Makepeace who lofted in a curling shot which completely baffled the Sunderland custodian.  After this reverse the visitors never seemed like saving the game.  Makepeace nearly scored again, and then came Sunderland’s most dangerous raid.  Mordue centred, and Scott saved beautifully from Holley, but a moment later another grand pass found the defence at fault, and Low crashed the ball against the crossbar.  A second stoppage ensued, and Mr. Mason called the players into the dressing-room, where they were all equipped with dry clothes.  Three minutes later they came on again, and Everton strengthened their position, for, from a corner well-placed by Barlow, Young beat Roose at close range.  Everton went through the mud in grand style, and their right-wing fairly bewildered the Sunderland defenders.  Sharp dashed in and shot against the post, but this mattered little, for the end came with Everton triumphant. 
Everton’s Excellence
There was not a weak spot in Everton’s ranks, and what I admired most was the superb manner in which they set about their work after the interval.  At times the combination between White, Sharp, and Harris was exceedingly clever, and they controlled the ball as skilfuly as if they had been performing under most genial conditions.  This part of the Everton front line bore off the honours in attack, and White was especially prominent by reason of the judicious manner in which he drew the opposition and then glided the ball forward to his partner.  Freeman was well watched, and had few opportunities of developing his goal-scoring proclivities.  Young was very clever, and Barlow could not complain of lack of opportunities.  The forwards were nobly assisted by the half-backs, of whom it is difficult to single out one for special mention.  Taylor performed prodigies in the centre, and he seems to instinctively divine the precise spot where the ball will drop.  Makepeace gave one of his best displays, and I do not think he has in any previous season shown such consistent excellence in every game.  Harris ably accomplished his mission, and the most exacting enthusiast could not have wished for a better line of defence.  Macconachie gave a sound exhibition, and must have delighted the hearts of the Scottish selectors, who were present at the match.  Clifford only made one mistake in the first half, but afterwards he fully atoned for this, and as a consequence Scott was only rarely called upon.  The custodian’s clearances from Thomson and Holley, however, were sufficient to prove his worth. 
Sunderland Samples
The Wearsiders could never really master the opposing half-backs.  In the first half Mordue and Clark were often troublesome, and the former, though playing at outside right, was the most dangerous individual in the front rank.  The pair had a good understanding of each other’s requirements, but they came across a Tartar in Makepeace.  Low was a zealous forager, but he was rarely showed to send in a shot; once the he did get the chance, and he fairly shook the crossbar with a lovely drive.  Bridgett and Holley were not so prominent, and the latter must have found the conditions exceedingly trying after his recent enforced retirement.  Thomson was the most conspicuous figure in the intermediate line, and his determined aggressiveness was a notable feature of his work.  When near goal he was only with difficulty checked.  Tait got through a vast amount of work, and Jarvie did well until the first goal was scored.  I liked the play of Troughear immensely, for he kicked sturdity, even against the gale, and exhibited a rare capacity for defending his goal.  Forster was also an effective resister, and Roose was himself in goal, though he found the place kicking a difficult task.  Time and again did the wind neutralize his best efforts to land the ball in the Everton half.  He appeared to be completely decived by the shot which Makepeace sent beyond his reach.  Everton;- Scott (Wm); Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Taylor, Makepeace; Sharp, White, Freeman, Young, and G.H. Barlow.  Sunderland; L.R. Roose; Troughear, Forster; Tait, Thompson, Jarvie; Mordue, Clark, Low, Holley, and Bridgett.  Referee; Mr. J. Mason, Burslem. 

February 21, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 24)
Everton lost at Nelson by 3 goals to nil, this being the second successive away match they have lost without a goal. Nelson played a rare game in the mud, but Bardsley kicked through his own goal in the first half. With the wind in their favour afterwards, Nelson overplayed Everton, and it was due to Walter Scott's cleverness in goal that the East Lancashire men did not score more than two goals. Everton: - Scott (Walter), goal, Stevenson, and Bardsley, backs, Allen, Borthwick, and Weller, half-backs, Pinkney, Lacey, Jones, Gourlay, and Mountford, forwards.

February 23, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
It has been known for some considerable time that Jack Sharp, the popular Everton captain, intended to retire at the end of the season and yesterday he informed us that he would give up football when the present season expired. Sharp's cricket benefit is due next summer.

Dundee Courier-Thursday 24 February 1910
It is officially announced that Jack Sharp, the Everton and English International outside right, is to retire at the close the present season. Sharp has been with Everton for over ten seasons, having previously played with Hereford Thistle and Aston Villa, and takes his benefit with Everton next month. He helped Everton to win the English Cup, and as a cricketer has played for Lancashire and England, being the only professional footballer accomplish the double feat. Sharp gets his cricket benefit this rammer, when Lancashire play Yorkshire Old Trafford.

Everton have offered a big sum to Coventry City to change the venue of the Cup tie (fourth round) to Walton, but the City have great faith in their own powers when playing home, and the offer is not likely to be accepted.

Athletic News - Monday 28 February 1910
For quite two years Jack Sharp, the captain of Everton has been struggling with his passion for football.  From boyhood unto this hour Sharp has loved the great game of winter.  To leave the field of action is to him like bidding farewell to a lifelong friend, but there comes a time when a man’s duty to himself and to other people compel him to retire.  With the close of this season Sharp’s career will come to an end.  For long he has been contemplating this step.  Now it has been “officilally” announced.  The profession to which he belongs will be the poorer for his withdrawal.  Sharp is still a fine player, and we hope that his second and farewell benefit will recompense him for the money that he has Not received.  If he were given $1,000 instead of a guarantee of $500 the sum would not be in excess of his value.  One of four brothers, Jack Sharp was born at Hereford on February 18, 1878, so that if Anno Domini has overtaken him at football there should be years of cricket before him.  Of a good middle-class family, he was educated at clyde House School, in his native city, and while there he developed a great fondness for both cricket and football.  As he has had the unique honour among modern professionals of playing for England at both games, the proverb that the boys is father of the man is peculiarly applicable to him.  He was a juvenile phenomenon at both sports, and at a private collegiate school –when in his teens –he laid the foundation of his career.  His football career alone concerns us at this writing.  Captain of the school team in which his brother, Bert Sharp, also played, he was not particular whether he appeared at full back, half-back, outside right, centre-forward, or inside right.  Any place was good enough so long as he was in the team, and both he and his brother were such competent players that they could not be omitted.  The Sharps organized a pretty good boys’ club called the Violet, and they remained with it until they got a little too big and too clever.  Then came their connection with Hereford Thistle, of which Bert Sharp was really the founder and the captain.  Hereford Thistle became members of the Bristol League, and won the competition in their first year, Jack Sharp scoring about 70 goals.  The Thistle, which was a really strong junior team, entered for and won the Birmingham League tournament.  That was a rare distinction, and there were others.  During his association with the Thistle Jack Sharp had the luck to play against Aston Villa.  That was the stepping stone, for both brothers became professionals in 1897 –for neither of them could tie themselves down to a desk.  Jack Sharp nearly became a bank clerk, and he was almost articled to a political registration agent.  Three weeks of office-work sufficed, and he persuaded his mother to let him seek a livelihood with the small bat in summer and the big ball in winter.  Sharp, who was very speed indeed at 19, when he went to the Villa, was to be the understudy to Fisher, of St. Bernards.  Where is Fisher now?  In his first season Sharp proved a scorer, but in his second season we find him challenging Charles Athersmith for his position as outside right.  As the Sharps had cricket engagements in Lancashire in May, 1899 the brothers were transferred to Everton –his first match for his new club –at outside right, too –being against Sheffield United on September 2, when Everton were vanquished at home by 1-2.  We do not propose to follow Sharp’s brilliant achievements for Everton.  His pace, his power over the ball, his quickness of decision and action, his fine judgement, and his sportsmanship on the field have combined to make him a notable and memorable figure on the field.  For the last two seasons he has been the captain of Everton –and not a leader merely in name.  If he could bring the Cup back to the Boardroom of the Everton directors, Sharp would make the triumphant and dramatic exit for which he fondly hopes. 

Athletic News - Monday 28 February 1910
Sheffield United 3, Everton 0
By Nemo
There was a mixture of the elements at Bramall-lane, where rain, snow, and fog threatened to cause an abandonment of the match between Sheffield United and Everton.  The Sheffielders were much more comfortable in the mud than were the visitors, and while the latter tried to play their usual neat passing and combined game the United swung the ball about more, and relied upon individual rushes, whereby they were always quicker in making headway.   From the beginning the United were the more aggressive side.  Indeed, not once during the first half did the Evertonians manage to give Lievesley a shot right on the mark.  The most notable feature of the early stages of the game was the fine work of Evans on the United extreme left wing.  The Welsh international got in many admirable centres, and from one of these Walton had a glorious chance to score, but he lifted the ball very high over the bar.  From another, however, Simmons, similarly placed, made no mistake, but with sharp low drive scored United’s opening goal 20 minutes from the start.
United’s Dash
Although Everton did some clever work in the open they made very few dangerous atatcks, and, perhaps their most threatening advance was made by Berry, who went away on the right and centre grandly, only for Benson to make a great clearance.  With snow falling thickly, and the ground getting worse and worse, the game progressed too half-time, when United led by a goal.  The downfall had ceased when the players turned out again.  The Sheffielders started with great dash, and Scott had two stinging shots, which he stopped skillfully.  The Everton custodian, however, was beaten seven minutes from the resumption owing to blunders by his backs.  Both Clifford and Macconnachie missing the ball, Kitchen dashed after it, and kicked it almost out of Scott’s hands into the net.  The Irish international custodian was hurt in the contact, and limped badly for a time afterwards.  Otherwise I do not think he would have been beaten by a fast low drive from Hardinge a couple of minutes later, which sent the ball just inside the post and have United a third goal.
A Few Remarks
Though Clifford and Macconnachie each did good work for Everton in defence in the first half, neither was as safe as could be desired after the change of ends, and Benson and Brooks were a more reliable pair.  The Everton team, as a whole were quite as skillful as the Sheffielders, but their tactics were not so effective, and their more methodical advances were slower and less dangerous than the determined dashes of the United.  A very prominent figure in the United attack was Evans, the United left winger.  It is no exaggeration to say he was the best forward on the field, and he had two good assistants in Hardinge and Sturgess, while Kitchen in the centre made many gallant efforts.  Both sets of half-backs did sound work, though Harris had more than he could manage in the home left wing.  The Everton forwards did not play the right game on the heavy ground, but each did at times some good individual work.  The United half-backs and backs always managed to break-up their combination before it got dangerous.  Sheffield United; Lievesley; Benson, Brooks; Brelsford, Wilkinson,Sturgess; Walton, Simmons, Kitchen, Hardinge, and Evans.  Everton; Scott (William); Clifford, Macconnachie; Harris, Borthwick, Rafferty; A. Berry, Coleman, Freeman, Young, and G.H. Barlow.  Referee Mr. A. Green, West Bromwich. 

Irish Team Against Scotland.
Athletic News - Monday 28 February 1910
The I.F.A. selectors did right in giving the team in which did so well in drawing with England at Belfast the chance of “going one better,” and beating Scotland next month. It is quite true changes might have been made forward, but the team, after its good performance against England, has got confidence in itself, and it is within the bounds of possibility that Scotland may for the first time lose match in Ireland. They were beaten 2—0 in Glasgow in 1903, much to their surprise, and if such happens on March 19 visions of the championship may flit before the eyes of the Irish F.A. . , , It was thought there would’be a doubt about Scott coming to keep goal, for is to share benefit (with Jack Sharp) at Goodison Park on that day. This was, of course, awkward, but the Everton directors, with that generosity they have always exhibited towards Irish footbalj, have given their goalkeeper a “holiday,” as well as Harris and Lacey permission to come.

February 28, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
There was a combination of adverse circumstances that rendered accurate play at Bramell-lane out of the question. Half an hour before the match, which eventually turned to snow, came down in torrents, and as if to be keeping with the dismal surroundings, fog descended at intervals, making it difficult to follow the play with any degree of ease. The playing pitch, never great at its best, was a vertiable mud heap, rendering foothold a matter of extreme difficulty, with the result that there was scarcely a movement that appealed to be enthusiasm of the very limited number that witnessed what can only be described as a scrappy, uninteresting game. On the soddened pitch, the United players, as was only to be expected, were more at home than the Evertonians, and it was from them that most of the dangerous movements came. They won by three clear goals, but those who observantly followed the game, would not have been surprised had this score been doubled.

It is scarcely necessary to enter into the details of the game, for there was little indeed to rouse interest. The sloppy surface was responsible for many vagaries, and it became a matter of extreme difficulty to time the heavy ball. After twenty minutes, Simmons opened the scoring for the United with a shot that gave Scott no chance, and this was the only point recorded up to the change of ends. The second half had been fifteen minutes in progress when Kitchen by Smart following up took both Macconnachie and Clifford by surprise. Scott came out to save, and was about to handle, when the United centre pounced upon the ball and drove it into the net. In attempting to effect the save, Scott was injured, and was immediately, afterwards beaten by a low shot, from Hardinge. Then came a sustained pressure on the Everton goal, and repeatedly did the Irish international keep his charge intact from all quarters. Everton rallied somewhat, and Young and Berry made great efforts to reduce the lead, but met with no success, the United retiring with a three clear goals' victory.

Followers of the Everton club were more than ordinarily interested in view of the first appearance of A.Berry in the League forward line. As has been indicated, the prevailing conditions were not favourable even for the most experienced player, and it would be unfair to appraise the amateur international on his Saturday's form. He had not too many chances of distinguishing himself, but when ever an opening came his way he suggested the capabilities of an outside right who on mere than one occasion has come under the favourable purview of the Association. In a forward line, which was by no means conspicuous, Berry and Young could easily be singled out for commendation. Freeman seems to have lost all his old form, and while Barlow was unequal, Coleman did not appear to have profited by his rather long rest from League football. Harris was easily the pick of the half-back line, for Borthwick was only moderate, while Rafferty failed to realise expectations. Macconnachie was the better of the backs, and Scott kept his charge in his usually effective fashion. Livesley had an easy task on hand, so ably was he covered by a resolute set of backs, who successfully challenged the somewhat erratic attacks of the Everton forwards. The halves were quite at home on the heavy ground, and a feature of the forward display was provided by the wingmen, who swung the ball about to the great discomfiture of the Everton defenders. Teams: - Sheffield United: - Leivesley, goal, Benson, and Brooks, backs, Brelsford, Wilkinson, and Sturgess, half-backs, Walton, Simmons, Kitchen, Baringe, and Evans, forwards. Everton: - Scott, goal, Clifford, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris, Borthwick, and Rafferty, half-backs, A. Berry, Coleman, Freeman, Young, and Barlow, forwards. Referee A. Green.

February 28, 1910. The Liverpool Courier.
Lancashire Combination Division One (Game 25)
Burnley, who included in their team such notabilities as Walter Abbott, the ex-Evertonian, and Alex Leake, of Aston Villa and international fame, went under to a strong Everton eleven a Goodison Park by three goals to one. From the commencement the Blues asserted themselves, and as the result of clever combined play Mountford, Lacey, and Gault scored goals prior to the interval. In their second half Everton had many opportunities of increasing trier lead, but finished poorly. Nearing the end a breakaway by the visitors resulted in the Everton goal being captured. Abbott converting a line centre by Dougan. Pinkney, and Walter Scott were making their first home appearance. The further played a very creditable game, but the “penalty” king lacked opportunities to show his undoubted abilities. Everton: - Scott (Walter), goal, R. Balmer, and Bardsley, backs, Allen, Pratt, and Weller, half-backs, Pinkney, Lacey, Gault, Gourlay, and Mountford forwards.






February 1910