Everton Independent Research Data


Derby Daily Telegraph - Monday 05 February 1912
At their meeting held in London this morning the Football League Management Committee selected the following team to represent the Football League against the Scottish League, at Middlesbrough. Saturday. Feb. 17th :—Williamson (Middlesbrough), goal; Crompton (Blackburn Rovers) , and Pennington (West Albion), backs, Duckworth (Manchester United), Boyle (Burnley), and Makepeace (Everton), half-backs; Wallace (Aston Villa), Buchan (Sunderland) Freeman (Burnley), Holley (Sunderland). andMordue (Sunderland), Reserves: Fay (Bolton Wanderer) and Hibibert (Newcastle United). Referee: H. S. Bamlett. Linesman: C. E. Sutcliffe.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 05 February 1912
aT GoodISon Park, On a frost and snow covered ground, before about 30.000 spectators. Everton were at full strength, whilst Bury rearranged their forces. The visitors were more dangerous at the start, but they shot badly. The players had great difficulty keeping their feet. After twelve minutes' Kay scored for Bury. Jefferis later hit the Bury post, and McDonald saved several fine shots. Interval: —Bury 1 goal. Everton none. Both ends were visited in turn when play was resumed, the players putting strenuous work on the snow-clad ground. Everton were the stronger side now, and they were awarded a penalty, from which Macconnachie equalised. The Everton men tried hard, as also did Bury, and the issue hung in the balance. There were many narrow escapes, but no further score. Result:— Bury1 goal, Everton 1 goal. Following the match, the Everton directors made overtures to the Bury Club for the game to be replayed at Everton, and it was agreed that the teams should meet again on Thursday, at Goodison Park, the Everton Club club guaranteeing £750.

EVERTON 1 BURY 1 (Fa Cup Game 86)

February 5 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


It required a big effort of imagination on Saturday to recall that football even in the season, has been played in something like tropical weather. “O, for some of that tropical weather” said the shivering spectators as Bury and Everton slithered about on the snow capped and icebound turf. The thin covering of snow had been left undisturbed in the hope that it would mitigate such falls as the players might have to undergo. Subtle problem though it may seem, the fact remains, Everton cannot produce their best form on a hard surface, and the game had not been in progress many minutes, when it was obvious the exceptional conditions would be better availed of by Bury than the home team. It may perhaps, be an excuse at assume, as a general rule, that the more scientific and complex the methods of a team, the more difficult it will prove for them to discard ordinary methods, and gain full advantage of other methods to which it may be necessary to adapt themselves. Certainly Bury fared in adopting straightaway a free-and-easy style, and aligning the ball about freely, and then following it up smartly. Vainly did the Blues strive to develop far reaching schemes for the ball refused to be nicely controlled. The Shakers had one main ideas of attack, and that was to follow the ball. As the minutes went by, the extreme difficulty of bringing to a definite conclusion any premeditated and concerted plan of attack because more and more apparent; in fact any sustained effort seemed bounded to prove short-livened, and it seemed very likely that if a goal accrued it would come in some unexpected way.


Although the Blues started in crappy and gingerly fashion –very much, indeed, like a hen on a shot griddle –they gradually evolved some kind of methods which frequently resulted in threatening visit to McDonald, who, by the way, was to prove a dexterous and resourceful keeper. Fifteen minutes had sped by when Brown and Birnie forced a passage well into Everton territory. The Bury pair were assiduously attended by Harry Makepeace, who, in endeavouring to kick out, gave away a corner, which was to have unfortunate results. From the corner flag the ball alighted dangerously near Scott, who did not get a chance to clear, and so, in a trice, there was a spasmodic sort of struggle going on. Now, just at the wrong moment a curious fit seized Master Scott, who came two yards out of goal the better to size up the fortunes of the fray. Stimulancously Kay lifted the ball over so gently over the heads of friends and foes –Scott in particular. Stands a hairpin on its points and you have the kind of shot, but much shorter. The Everton keeper was fairly tricked, and turned round only to see the ball in the net. He used his judgement, admittedly, but it cost a goal he could easily have averted if standing under the bar. Such is the faulty stuff, even international custodian are made of at times. It might, have been thought this reverse would have inspired the Blues to some more effective plan of attack, but there was not a man quite sure of his feet. Browell was weak and uncertain in the centre, and was repeatedly dispossessed by Greaves and Millington. Browell made many dainty passes to his inside men, but that kind of game was quite useless. Vigorous forward work would have been more profitable.


From the time of their reverse to the interval Everton had tantailing ill-luck which culminated just before the retirement in Beare working in a perfect centre. The ball wanted merely tapping into the net, but alas and alack there was not a Blue on the premises to make an attempt. Many, no doubt, were inclined to be downhearted in spite of themselves for some time after, the restart. The Toffees made several shashing assaults on the Shakers stronghold, and Bradshaw, Jefferis and Beare frequently shot powerfully, sometimes to miss the target by a foot, and as often to be foiled by the masterly vigilance of McDonald. A corner was to rob Bury of victory, and had threatened Everton with defeat. It came about through Greaves misheading, and led to a well-sustained Everton attack, during which Greaves beat down the ball inside the penalty area. The offence was palpable to most of the 25,000 spectators, and why Sergeant Major Rowley first consulted both linesmen was not apparent. Verily, the ways of referee are sometimes unfathomable nowadays. However, the penalty kick was duly awarded, and Macconnachie piloted the hitherto to –elusive leather past the gallant McDonald into the net. It was well it was so for the Blues won the game three times over in all but netting the intractable ball. Bury played stubbornly and well, and though Everton played very much better the Shakers are not likely to submit without a game struggle in the replay, which Everton have brought for decision at Goodison Park. Teams: - Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, T. Browell, Bradshaw, and Davidson, forwards. Bury: - McDonald, goal, Greaves, and Millington, backs, Millington, Humphreys, and Jarvis, half-backs, Bullen, Birnie, Brown, Kay, Curtis, and Duffy, forwards. Referee Sgt. Major Rowley.



February 5, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post.

At the conclusion of the drawn game between Everton and Bury at Goodison Park, on Saturday. Bury made the suggestion that the match should be replayed on the same ground, with a guarantee of £1,000. After some discussion, it was agreed to replay there on Thursday next, Bury to receive £750 as their shard of the gate receipts.


EVERTON 6 BURY 0 (Fa Cup Game 87)

February 9, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


Everton victory by the large margin of 6 goals to nil was well deserved. They were immeasurably the superior side, and were clever and adaptable to tremendously heavy going, just as on a hard ground they were floundering badly. For a few minutes in the first half, and a short period of the second half, Bury had something of a look in, but they never looked like saving the game. The teams lined out as follows : - Everton: - Scott, Stevenson, and Macconnachie, backs, Harris Fleetwood, and Makepeace half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Gourlay, and Davidson, forwards. Bury: - McDonald goal, Greaves and Millington, backs, Humphreys, Jarvis, and Bullen; half-backs, Birnie, Brown, Kay, Parkin, and Walker, forwards. Referee Sgt. Major Rowley. Everton started in really promising style, and quite monopolised play for a time, Beare had a terrific arrive turned round the post by McDonald, but the corner was very badly placed. Browell in the nest moment pivoted, and made a great attempt, which struck the post. The corner that ensued was perfectly placed, and Browell headed cleanly into the net after four minutes' play. Birnie made the first Bury incursion, but finished with a long, tame shot. The visitors took up the attack on the right with much better effect, sterling work by Harris and Stevenson spoiling them. The ball had top be driven hard through the mud, and it was due to short passing that the Burt forwards lost several favourable opportunities. The Evertonians played a game that always suggested goals, and following brilliant work by Harris, Beare, made a grand run into goal, finishing with a centre that Millington was compelled to put over the bar. However, Burt settled down subsequently, and there was more finish in their forward advances. Thus it was only the brilliance in footwork of Makepeace, supported by the resolute Macconnachie, that prevented the Shakers getting to close quarters. As it was he most Scott was called upon to deal with was a long, but good, shot from Humphreys. Meanwhile Jefferis was precious near scoring with a neat overhead kick, and after Millington had retired for a few minutes. Makepeace had a great shot well parried. The Everton goal had its first narrow escapes from a miskick by Macconnachie, who slipped up. Kay ran in and Scott only partially saved the shot. But for the slush and water in the goal the ball might have rolled through. Instead, Scott was able to recover. After this Bury played with renewed courage, and Everton were in trouble for the first time. Five minutes from the interval Jefferis, taking a square pass from Browell went clean through and scored the second goal. Everton continued to play what under the conditions was a good game. Four minutes after the restart Everton made themselves practically secure with a third goal from Davidson. Beare put a perfect centre, from which Browell gave Jefferis an open goal. McDonald, who thereby put Davidson on side, to score easily, deflected his shot. Two minutes later Browell scored with a solo effort, making Everton four up. Play was exciting indeed, at this point, Jefferis beating McDonald in a race for the ball, and attempting to kick it through while on the ground. The ball stuck in the mud, and did not cross the line. Still, the whistle had gone for offside. Bury were wholley on the defensive, and it seemed merely a matter of how many goals Everton would score. After sixteen minutes Browell scored his third goal, and the fifth for Everton, owing to a Bury defender miskicking. The visitors were routed but with Everton easing up, they pressed home a couple of attacks. Macconachie pulling the ball practically off his own goal-line. Scott made fine saves from Kay and Jarvis, but Browell made Bury's discomfiture complete with another goal.

Dundee Courier - Friday 09 February 1912
Everton and Bury at Goodison Park replayed the Cup tie before 12,000 spectators. The ground was very heavy and the weather showery. Gourlay substituted Bradshaw in the Everton side. Parkin and Walker played for Currie and Duffy in the Bury team. Everton were very aggressive, and Browell scored in four minutes. Everton were much the superior side, and Bury only rarely broke away. Kay once tested Scott. Jeffries scored a second goal for Everton. Interval Everton, 2; Bury, 0. Everton at once went away on resuming, and they were soon in front of M'Donald, and Davidson scored a third goal, while Browell obtained fourth soon afterwards. Everton continued to have all the play, and from a corner Browell scored the fifth, this being his third of the match. After unsuccessful attacks by Bury Browell the sixth goal for Everton. Result: Everton, 6 Bury, 0

To Meet England At Soccer For Thirty-First Time
London Daily News - Saturday 10 February 1912
The first of the The first Association international matches of season will be played at Dublin this afternoon, when representative elevens of Ireland and England meet on the Dalymount Park ground. This is the thirty-first game of its kind, and of those already played England have won twenty-seven and the other three have been left drawn, no success having so far rewarded Ireland. Owing to the replayed Cup ties on Thursday in which Everton and Middlesbrough were engaged, three changes were made from the team originally choosen for England. Williamson (Middlesbrough) and Makepeace and Jefferis (Everton) were unable to join the rest of the players at Chester on Thursday afternoon, and their places were filled by Hardy, Bardshaw, and Fleming. Four changes were made in the Ireland side, the teams being as follows; Ireland; Scott (Everton); McCann (Glentoran), Burnison (Distillery); Harris (Everton), O'Connell (Sheffield Wednesday), and Hampton (Bradford City); Lacey (Everton), Hamill (Manchester United), Halligan (Wolverhampton Wanderers), McCauley (Huddersfield Town), Thompson (Bradford City); England; Hardy (Liverpool); Crompton (Blackburn Rovers), Pennington (West Bromwich); Brittleton (Sheffield Wednesday), Wedlock (Bristol City), Bradshaw (Blackburn Rovers); Simpson (Blackburn Rovers), Fleming (Swindon), Freeman (Burnley), Holley (Sunderland), Mordue (Sunderland). Referee; A.A Jackson (Scotland).


February 10, 1912. The Liverpool Courier.

Owing to the match with Ireland, several English League clubs will not be at full strength this afternoon. The Everton ranks, however, will be less depleted than they might have been. The Association insisted on Makepeace and Jefferis being at Crewe on Thursday afternoon in time to catch the 5-10 boat train, refusing to allow then to cross the Irish sea at the same time as Scott, and Harris, chosen for the Irish team, and it was not surprising therefore, that the two players in question, as well as Williamson of Middlesbrough, preserved to remain with their clubs in order to take part in the replay Cup Tie. For the match at Goodison Park with Sheffield United, Berry is to take the place of Scott in the Everton goal, and Allan will appear at right half-back. Bradshaw is still nursing an injured ankle. Gourlay again partnering Davidson on the left wing.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 12 February 1912
At Goodison Park, in ideal weather, before 25,000 spectators. Everton had Weller for Makepeace, while United re-arranged their forward; line. Everton got down the right, and Beare placing front goal, Browell scored, Hardinge equalised for United ten minutes from the start. Following a corner to the home team Fleetwood scored a second. Everton forwards played a brilliant game, and Browell added a third goal. Interval; Everton 3 goals, Sheffield United 1 goal. On resuming, Everton atatcked, and Browell was only inches wide with aq good shot. The home team had most of the attack, and Browell sent out to the right where Davidson tried a shot which the United keeper kicked away. The visitors got down, and following an exciting scrimmage in the goal mouth, Evans scored for the United who tried hard to get level. Just before the end Jefferis was just wide. Result; Everton 2 goals, Sheffield United 2 goals.


February 12, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


Everton scored another victory at Goodison Park on Saturday, and thereby strengthened their chances of wresting pride of place front Blackburn Rovers, and better still, perchance to gain championship honours. The Blues might easily have dropped a point, for the team, which represented them, was not the strongest. Berry deputised for Scott, who with Harris was sporting international honours in the Emerald Isle. Makepeace, cruelly disappointed of his cap, was nursing also a miner physical injury. Allan has of course been seen previously and admired in the half-back lines; but Weller, the reserve pivot, made his debut, with the seniors, and showed distinct signs of quality. Weller may yet prove to be that usual entity popular stayed “a big ‘un and a good ‘us.” Gourlay deputised for Bradshaw again, and did well without threatening to eclipse that brilliant football star. It may at once be said that though all four reserves acquitted themselves with credit, neither of them showed exceptional qualities.


The weather was ideal, and more than 25,000 spectators were attracted to the ground. The pitch looked in fine trim, and proved as good as it looked, so that the game was fought out under excellent conditions. Right from the start Sheffield showed a strong disposition to make the pace lively, replying, no doubt, on their ability to hustle the Everton scratch half back line. This policy proved a sound one, and resulted in Macconnachie, and Stevenson having a pretty rough time of it. No fault was to be found with “Mac” but Stevenson gave fresh evidence that he has developed superlative from of late, and may now be counted amongst the stouted and most reliable of League backs. The class of Everton's forward line was frequently been demonstrated by the ability of the regular quintet to attack successfully from right or left wing, in full line, or by a smashing blow inflicted by the inside trio. Bradshaw's absence certainly weakened the left wing, and this may have reached on the right. On Saturday Beare had recovered his true form, and disclosed his mood early when, accepting a pass from Jefferis, he raced Benson to the corner flag and executed one of his low, swift centres, which was cleverly met by Browell and unerringly converted. Browell's judgement was marvellously accurate, and the precision and swiftness with which he met the ball must have been demoralising to Leivesley. This goal came after a few minutes' play. United's attack was however, brimful of verve and vitality, and much too lively for Allan and Weller who were straining every nerve in opposition, and had little leisure to feed their forwards comfortably. Fleetwood was a tower of strength, and he has certainly made prodigious progress as a pivot. He is a fighter without a suspicious of temper or viciousness, and, though a trifle short of speed, he more than makes up for it by a spirit of enterprise. And intelligent anticipation. His forestalling tactics are consummate, and his best move a trick of jumping dexterously round an opponent from the rear.


The Sheffielders were good value for the equalising goal, which came five minutes after Everton's. Their passing was swift and subtle, and the forward movements strong and decisive. A right wing incursion culminated in a sharp fierce onslaught, which quite overwhelmed Berry at the finish. The immediate preliminaries took place on the goalline, and a more punctilious referee than Mr. Pellowe might have ruled Kitchen offside. Still, on the whole it was a well won goal. For some time after this the home half-back line gave cause for apprehension, Allan particularly being several treated. Everton's redeeming feature was the attack and thus, luckily, the energy and earnestness of the forward relieved the defence considerably, or it would have gone hard with Berry. The fortune of the game was hanging in the balance, and no one exercised a more powerful influence than the ubiquitous Fleetwood. Immediately following a corner kick by Davidson, the ball came to Fleetwood's toe from Jefferis's head, and was cleverly piloted through a crowd of players into the net. After this the game was sternly contested; but the Cutlers could not get on equal terms again, though there was some capital shooting from Evans and Hardinge. There was not, however, the Blues showed the same cohesion and incisiveness about the Sheffield forwards, nor the same telling finishing touches as. The result was practically settled when Browell put his side still further in front after a well sustained attack; but Everton were not really value for their surplus goal. They had nothing in hand to rest on their oars with, and so a spell of complacement ease resulted in the Cutlers successfully raiding, Evans with a header, reducing Everton's lead to a narrow margin of a goal. Sheffield promptly recognised that persistency might mean a point, while Everton shook themselves and renewed their aggressive tactics. In the humour the Blues could always hold their own and ultimately United left the field honourably defeated by 3 goals to 2. Teams: - Everton: - Berry, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Allan, Fleetwood, and Weller, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Gourlay, and Davidson, forwards. Sheffield United: - Leivesley, goal, Sturrges, and Benson, backs, Brentford, Wilkinson, and Trueman, half-backs, Kitchen, Peake, Gillispie, Hardinge, and Jones forwards. Referee A. Pellowe.



February 12, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury


Everton were unable to overcome Crewe Alexandra and in the fact, the Railwaymen had the best of the argument in the second period, when they sealed the issue in rather convincing fashion. The Everton goal scores were Pinkey (2) and Gault.



February 12, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.

England played Ireland at Dollymount Park, Dublin, on Saturday. England easily overcame Ireland by 6 goals to 1. There were 15,0000 spectators present, and Scott of Everton who captained the Irish team, having won the toss. Harris, and Lacey also playing for the Ireland team.



February 17 1912. The Liverpool Courier.

Everton team will not be at full strength. Both Bradshaw and Jefferis are down with influenza, Gourlay again appearing at inside left, with Burton as partner to Beare on the right wing. Makepeace is also unfit, Grenyer taking his place in the intermediate line. Oldham will be at full strength, Cook having sufficiently recovered to take his place of Hodson at half-back.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Monday 19 February 1912
At Oldham, before 15,000 spectators. Throughout the game Everton were outclassed at every point. The score gives no criterion of Oldham's superiority, for three occasions the goal posts acted as goalkeeper for Scott. The first goal, after twenty minutes' play, was clevely scored by Donnachie, who beat man after man, and then gave Scott no chance. The second goal, close on half-time, was the result of fine footwork, Jones heading wide of Scott. Throughout the second half Oldham held the upper hand, and Woodger scored a third just before the close. All the winners played well, although Hunter did not enhance his reputation by his frequent fouls on Browell, who was the best forward. Everton played weakly throughout. :-Oldhum Athletic 3 goals, Everton none. Teams. Oldham Athletic—Matthews, goal; Hodson and Burton, backs; Moffat. Hunter, and Wilson, half backs; Broad, Montgomery, Jones, Woodger, and Donnaehic, forwards Everton—Scot goal; Stevenson and Maconnachie, backs; Harris. Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half backs: Beare, Gourley, Browell, Burton, and Davidson, forwards. Referee, Mr. G. Clover, Nottingham.


February 19, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


The fact that Everton engagement at Oldham on Saturday was practically a cup-tie rehearsal invested the game with exceptional interest. Let it at once be said that the result was extremely disappointing to supporters of the Goodison Park team. It was of wisely recognised that they would have to meet a club which for some time past has been showing vastly improved form, it was also realised that Oldham held the advantage of playing on their own enclosure –an enclosure set in a wilderness of waste land. Then there was the further consideration that the Evertonians were not at full strength, Bradshaw, Jefferis, and Makepeace all lay absentees. But inspite of all these disadvantage, it was hoped that the visitors would at least hold their own at Boundary Park. Such a hope was destined to deceive. To put the case frankly, Everton were fairly and squarely beaten. After Oldham's second goal they never looked like getting on terms with their opponents, and the home side deserve full credit for a victory achieved by vigorous tactics.


The home team forced the pace from the outset, and Donnachie the ex-Evertonian, nearly scored in the first five minutes. At the other end Everton made play for a time, and Gourlay had a chance but missed it. Oldham were subsequently most determined in attack, and Moffatt once put in a hard drive which almost found its billet. Maintaining the pressure, the Athletic forwards eventually met with success, for Donnachie taking a pass from Woodger, wriggled through his field and scored with a hot shot. The visitors rallied a little, but Oldham were not slow to take up the running again. A promising movement by Broad eventuated in a second goal, as from his centre Jones headed the leather into the net. Just before the interval Everton made a great effort, but Davidson was unlucky, and the teams crossed over with the home side leading comfortably.


In the second period Oldham exercised even great dominance over their rivals, whom they kept almost continuously on the defensive. Jones beating Fleetwood, struck the upright with a tremendous drive, and subsequently Wooger missed an open goal. Everton tried valiantly to make headway, but their efforts for the most part were very disjointed, and the outlook was not improved when Burton spoilt a nice opening. There were less than ten minutes to run when a third goal was scored. This however, was due to a misunderstanding between Scott and Stevenson, who, between then allowed Woodger to walk the ball into the net. After this Everton's position was hopeless.


Scott's clearances were perhaps, not so confident as usual, and Macconnachie's play was much below his usual standard. The burden of the Everton defence, indeed, was borne by Stevenson –who maintains his form –and Fleetwood. The latter, it is true, was often tricked by Jones, but he played a remarkably fine game. Harris and Grenyer ploughed along stolidly, but they were scarcely up to concern pitch. In the front rank it was the two outside wingmen who were most disappointing. Neither Beare, nor Davidson rose to the occasion as one would have expected, and little blame for the ineffectiveness of the quintet can be laid to the door of either Gourlay or Burton. Hunter –whose methods by the way; are much more vigorous than polite –that he was rarely enabled to get going, so closely watched Browell. Oldham are a tough lot to tackle but next Saturday, no doubt, we shall see what we shall see. Teams: - Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Hodgson, and Burton backs, Moffatt, Hunter, and Wilson, half-backs, Broad, Montgomery, Jones Woodger and Donnachie, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson and Macconnachie (Captain), backs Harris, Fleetwood, and Grenyer, half-backs, Beare, Gourlay, Browell, Burton, and Davidson forwards. Referee W. C. Clover.


Dundee Evening Telegraph - Friday 23 February 1912

Is Transferred to Liverpool.

Much surprise will occasioned by announcement that the transfer completed last evening of T. Gracie, the well-known Everton forward, to Liverpool. It is stated Gracie will turnout to-morrow 'for the Anfielders against Bury. His acquisition should introduce a long-needed improvement in their ranks, for he is a player of merit, who may be relied upon to bring better fortune to the wearers of the red jersey. Gracie, who was in Airdrieonians and Greenock Morton ere going South, was much-sought-after player.


February 23, 1912 Evening Telegraph

Much surprise will be occasioned by the announcement that the transfer was completed last evening of T. Gracie, the well known Everton forward to Everton. It is stated Gracie will turn out tomorrow for the Anfielders against Bury. His acquisition should introduce a long-needed improvement in their ranks, for he is a player of merit, who may be relied upon to bring better fortune to the wearers of the red jersey. Gracie, who was in Airdrieonians and Greennock Morton ere going South, was a much-sought-after player.



February 23 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.

Much satisfaction will be occasioned by the announcement we are able to make this morning that the transfer was completed last evening of T. Gracie, the well known Everton forward to Liverpool. It is stated Gracie will turn out tomorrow for the Anfielders against Bury. His acquisition by the Livers should introduce a long needed improvement in their ranks, for he is a player of merit, who may he relied upon to bring better fortunes to the wearers of the Red jersey.

Liverpool Echo.

No one can deny the enterprise of the Liverpool Club in strengthening their team in the fate of their latest capture Tom Gracie of Everton. Admittedly the realisation that the position was precariousness rather to the minds of many supporters, who however, might be genuinely surprised, did they know the difficulties –financial and otherwise –that have harassed the directors. Now, however, one hopes that their progressive policy will not end until the process of team building is thoroughly. Make no mistake; the acquisition of Gracie is an important corner-stone, figuratively speaking to the end. Many there are, I know the reverse of pleased with Gracie's display with Everton, and possibly, I though. Everton had made a bad bargain when they secured him from Greenock Morton at the back end of the season. Not only was one quite out of touch with his colleagues, but he showed little semblance of his reputable smart footwork and goal-scoring ability. But I had reason to change my opinion about Christmas time when I saw him at Middlesbrough. Specially wired for owing to an injury to Gourlay, the Scot turned out at Ayresome against one of the best centre halves in the League and played a splendid game. This was his reappearance after a long sojourn in the second team. Well he played in the return game, on Boxing Day at Goodison Park and impressed the home critics more than ever he had done before. Then came the offer of Browell from Hull City, and Gracie had to give way. There is every prospect of the player coming into his own again. The Scottish critics are annoyed that he whom they regard as second only to either Reid or Qunia should be playing in the Centre League. Up to quite recently offers have been made from over the border –in a recent letter Hughie Bolton, the ex-Evertonian refused to believe Gracie was anything but a great footballer –but Everton would not part; neither would they listen to the persuasion of English League clubs. It speaks well for the good feeling existing between the local clubs that Everton should only give way finally to the request of their Anfield neighbours. Gracie is a clean living gentlemanly player. He is impressionable taking his failure very much to heart so I hope he will receive every encouragement in his new sphere. The last time I spoke to him Gracie said he was settling down to English methods.

Everton record. 1910-11 League apps, 7 apps, 1 goal.

1911-12 League apps, 6 apps. Total 13 apps, 1 goal.



February 24 1912. The Liverpool Courier.

Everton and Oldham meeting for the second time in eight days. No much importance attaches to last week's result inasmuch as Everton were without such stalwarts as Makepeace, Bradshaw, and Jefferis in, that match. It is in Everton's favour that they will be at full strength tomorrow, and the Oldham half back line formidable as it undoubtedly is on present form, will probably be taxed to its utmost. A great game is certainly to be expected and the Everton followers are sure to be present in goodly numbers (5,000).



February 26, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post.


There was a cool confidence about the Everton players when they took the field against Oldham that was distinctly assuring to their achievement. The several thousand spectators who had travelled from Liverpool to witness the encounter had not forgotten that a week ago their favourites were badly beaten at Boundary Park by the Athletic. They were now however, at full strength, and the anticipation that the re-entry of Makepeace, Bradshaw and Jefferis would prove successful was simply justified. The Evertonias indeed showed themselves to the fullest advantage, and though they had to fight hard, there was no doubt as to their superiority. For once in a way the Oldham half back line more than met their match in the Everton forwards, whose play generally was of the most sparking character. Tom Browell –whom many are pleased to dub “the boy wonder” –was so finely supported by those consummate artistes, Bradshaw and Jefferis that he was twice enabled to net the ball. The young player himself would probably be the first to admit that some of the credit for these two goals belonged to other members of the front line, but his personnel popularity is so great that at the close of the game a selection of the crowd broke on to the field, and carried him shoulder-high to the dressing room. There were many dashing movements on the part of the home forwards, but their methods generally lacked that combination which characterised their opponents actions. Once or twice the Everton goal was in jeopardy, but the backs, particularly Stevenson, rendered a splendid account of themselves. Altogether it was a highly creditable victory, and though it is not within out province to prophesy, Everton ought to make a bold bid for the national trophy.


Everton set the pace at a pretty rapid rate from the commencement, and the opening stages revealed the dexterity of their footwork. The Oldham halves seemed to rub their eyes in astonishment at the change in the frontal attack from that of the week before. Not many minutes had gone when Browell got through, and it was lucky for the home side that the shot was charged down. A little later Jefferis came through his field with the sinuously of a greyhound, but here again the defencing side were able to avert disaster. They not only did this, but proceeded to retaliate, and Montgomery was rather unfortunate in failing to find the target. Jones was even more unlucky when he struck the crossbar with a tremendously vigorous drive, and some seconds afterwards he put in another shot that might easily have scored. As the game progressed the keenness of the players intensified, and the referee had to keep a very sharp eye on more than one of the home players. This he did to the best effort and no untoward incident marred the encounter. Oldham made a strong rally just before the interval, but to no purpose, and when half-time was called the scorer's task was still a sinecure.


As may be gathered, the first portion of the play had been exciting, if not profitable to either side. In the second half two cleverly contrived goals rewarded Everton for their skill. The first of these followed upon a free kick against Jones. The ball was judiciously lobbed up, and Browell, taking it without a moments hesitation, drove it into the net well out of the keeper's reach. This reverse served to strengthened Oldham in their method of attack, for the swung down the field several times with an impetuosity that would have swept a less competent defence clean off their feet. The visitors had to concede quite a succession of corners, and a miskick by Val Harris nearly led to an equaliser. Jones was again troublesome with a warm shot, and Broad had made his way clean through when he shot weakly. The closing stages showed Everton at their best. The Athletic defence was tested ten times in as many minutes, and at length it was overcome a second time. Beare getting possession, tricked both the half-back and the back, and finished with a glorious centre, which Browell drove close under the bar. This effort set the seal on Everton's victory.


Where all were good there is no necessarily to individualise to any great extent. The popular appreciation of Browell's performance was thoroughly deserved while the brainy work of Bradshaw and Jefferis caught the eye of even the most rabid Oldham partisan. Lacey entirely justified his inclusion in the line of attack, his strength and virility playing an important part in its effectiveness. Beare after being quiescent for a long time, electrified everybody by the skill wish which he led up to the second gaol. The halves did really magnificent work, and the way in which Fleetwood took hard knocks compelled admiration. Stevenson was the better of two fine full backs, and Scott fulfilled his position very satisfactorily. Teams : - Oldham Athletic: - Matthews, goal, Hodson, and Burton backs, Moffatt, Hunter, and Wilson, half-backs, Broad, Montgomery, Jones Woodger, and Donnachie, forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Lacey forwards .



February 26, 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.


With both senior teams away from home, the contest at Anfield between Liverpool and Everton attractive a crowd of something like 20,000 spectators, who witnessed the Anfielders record a very decisive victory. Liverpool dominated the game almost from the start, and Everton were hopelessly out of the picture. The game was interesting and keenly fought, and a great improvement in the Anfielder's attack. Liverpool's two goals in the first half were both made by the left wing pair. Gilligan in each instances cleverly supplying the finishing touches. Bovitt got the third goal in the second half taking up a long forward pass and smartly placing the ball pass Berry. Everton's attack was woefully weak and was never allowed to become dangerous. Everton: - Berry, goal, R. Balmer and Holden, backs, Allan, Weller, and Grenyer, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Pinkney, Wynn Robinson and Gault forwards.

Hull Daily Mail - Monday 26 February 1912
Tom Browell scored the two goals for Everton that won them their cup-tie against Oldham on Saturday. One report says: From the free kick the ball was placed to Bradshaw, and the latter headed the centre. Browell gained possession, and shot the ball into the far corner of the net, leaving Matthews absolutely helpless. He was heartily applauded by the spectators and his colleagues." After 36 minutes' play Everton further increased their lead. Beare cleverly beat Wilson, and, running on, centred hard and low across the goal. Browell was lying well up, and, meeting the ball first time, had the satisfaction of seeing it enter the netted haven." " Among the forwards Tom Browell takes pride of place, if only for accepting the chances that came his way. In the first half little was seen of him, but showed well in the second moiety." Tom Browell is proving to be a good investment for the Toffeemen, and he got both the goals. The enthusiastic Everton supporters chaired him off the field at the end of the game." "Tom Browell (says the London "Daily Mail") was the hero of the game. In the three, ties his side have won has scored seven goals—a really remarkable performance. His value Everton cannot be estimated."

Hull Daily Mail - Monday 26 February 1912
A writer in the "Daily Dispatch" this morning says of Tom Browell's play in the Everton v. Oldham Cup-tie;- Nothing could be finer than the deliberate and calculated way in which young Tom Browell scored both goals. I have seen the ex-Hull boy several times this season and he has impressed me more on each succeeding occasion. On Saturday he never hesitated to swing the ball out to his wings; he had a capital understanding with Bradshaw and Jefferis, and I should think he possesses a pair of the most cunning feet in the League. Browell is a clever player than as thinks he is, but it is a good thing for him. There is no "gallery" work about him; everything he does is in a clam and modest fashion; and by this time he must have well repaid Everton for what he cost them. He scored the first goal on Saturday eight minutes after the interval. Fleetwood had been fouled by Jones, and from the free kick Bradshaw tapped the ball forward to browell. The latter advanced a pace or two, and it seemed impossible for him to pass Hodson and Buxton as they closed up. As a matter of fact, he did not attempt to. Instead he flashed the ball between them, and it was into the net while the defenders were standing still. It was an electrifying bit of work, and scarcely anyone seemed to realise at the moment that a goal had been scored. After this Oldham were most persistent and they took six corner kicks in succession without result, and when about ten minutes from the end Browell got a second goal, they gave up the game as lost. This goal really belonged to beare. The little outside man hoodwinked Wilson and Buxton in most amusing fashion, ran to the goal-line in order to place his colleagues onside, centred back to Browell, who had the simplest task in the world to force the ball against the under side of the crossbar, from where it rebounded into the net.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Monday 26 February 1912
A vast crowd at Oldham—the barriers gave way one side of the Field —saw the Athletic beaten by Everton, who completely atoned for their defeat on the same ground in a League match the previous week. A great deal of discussion had been taken place regarding the question whether the inclusion of Makepeace, Jeffries, and Bradshaw in tho Everton team would tend to turn the tables, and, as events proved, it did. But whether this trio were responsible for the victory or, in the other hand, whether Oldham were below their form of the previous Saturday can never be satisfactorily answered, though there is no doubt that the honours went the better team on the day. Oldham only once throughout the game came near to scoring, and then Jones with terrific drive struck the cross-bar. Of course they made many attacks, particularly after Tom Browell had scored Everton's first goal 12 minutes after the restart from a free kick for a foul by Jones on Fleetwood, and once Maconnachie headed out when a goal seemed certain, but on the whole the Oldham forwards had more than their match in the Everton halves and backs, while the Athletic trio of middle men were not nearly so effective the previous Saturday. In Evidence A week ago Browell was kept under, as it were, by Hunter, but no greater testimony to the truth of the assertion that he had a greater share of the game on this occasion is needed than to say that he scored a couple of goals. The first has been alluded to already. From the free kick Stevenson placed to Browell, who took Matthews by surprise with long shot. At any rate, the ball passed quite out of the goalkeeper's reach, and if it did not serve to take the wind out Oldham's sails, having regard to the fact that they won probably half-a-dozen corners in succession almost immediately, there is no denying that it had a very great influence on the game. Ten minutes from the end Beare worked an opening by carrying the ball to the goal-line before centring for Browell to kick the second goal, the ball striking the inside of the netting, or so seemed from the Press-box. Anyhow, Mstthews had no chance whatever of saving. Certain it is that Everton were the better team after the change of ends if there had not been much in the game in the opening half. Not Croat Cams, In no way can the game said to have been a great one, though that it was keenly fought out is undeniable. The honours for the most part belonged to the defence, though one thought that more than one defensive player on each side was hanging out signals of distress long before the finish. Everton relied a great deal on tUoir three inside forwards, and. in consequence, comparatively little was seen of Beare and Lacey, the wingers, though the first-named got in one centre which brought a goal. Jefferis was hard worker, but inclined to ramble, being occasionally seen on the opposite wing, and, naturally, his partner Beare suffered in consequence. Fleetwood was splendid centre-half, and Everton accomplished fine stroke of business when they secured his transfer from Rochdale. He kept tight hand on Evan Jones, the Oldham centreforward. Makepeace, though tiring towards the close, and Harris were also sound, while Stevenson and Maconnachie's back play left very little to be desired. The pick the Oldham team were Buxton, Wilson, Montgomery, and Woodger, the latter of whom gave another " brainy display.

Hull Daily Mail - Tuesday 27 February 1912
Our Liverpool correspondent denies the rumour current, in Hull that Everton aro negotiating for the transfer Andy Browell, of Hull City.

Hull Daily Mail - Tuesday 27 February 1912
(SPEGIAL TELEGRAM.) Our Liverpool correspondent telegraphs this afternoon: The secretary the Everton Football Club gives an official denial to the rumour that they are negotiating for the transfer of Andy Browell of Hull City. He authorises me to state that such thing has not even been mooted in club, and is not likely to be, this season at all events. The rumour has not yet reached football circles in Liverpool. Andy's brother, Everton's new centre forward, already public favourite EVERTON PLAYER TRANSFERRED.
We are authorised to state that Lacey, of , Everton, is being transferred to Liverpool, the fee not being settled. Lacey, with Beare, was the highest scorer for Everton last season, each of these players having eight goals to his credit.


February 27 1912. The Liverpool Echo


At the end of December the Mersey football folk were all keen to see whether the negotiations between Everton and Liverpool for the exchange of Parkinson for Lacey would come to a head. It didn't. For over a week, however, the two clubs have been on very friendly terms, and have been in negotiation for certain players. When the club presented Dr. Baxter with a memento of his twenty-one years service as director. Mr. McKenna, and Mr. Dr. Whitford and others referred to the greatly improved feeling existing between the two clubs. The transfers I announce today have been possible through the sensible and somewhat new friendly feeling between the two clubs. Liverpool citizens can support two first-class clubs, and if ill- feciling in eradicated the clubs can help each other. Take the cases of Gracie, Lacey and Uren. Gracie was transferred last week to the Reds, scored a got, got on nicely with his new partners and did the Reds much good. On the same day Lacey played splendidly for Everton against Oldham in the Cup-tie, but his time for wearing a Blue jersey was short-lived for he with Gracie formed the swooping producible for Everton's need of Harold Uren. Uren is a clever player, who has been a misfit. He has style peculiarly his own, and sometimes aye many times, he has played in a manner that suggested he was out of football sympathy with the other members and that the other forwards could not make headway from his ideas. It is an oft-quoted axiom that a player may be unworthy inclusion in one club's second team, and yet when transferred he finds new life and becomes an international player. Uren, who is a local player will not be qualified tom help Everton in their Cup-tie, because he played for Liverpool against Fulham at Craven Cottage. He began with New Brighton Wesleyans, then travelled to West Kirby, later assisted Wrexham, and finally joined Liverpool with which club he has been a professional for three years, and all told has served them on and off for five years. I well recall his earliest appearance with the Reds. It was a Hoylake and one Mr. “Billy” Williams forecasted that Uren would be a needs cate feeding by his partner, and when he makes his bow in his new colours tomorrow for Everton against Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park he will not have cause for complaint, Bradshaw being a sound tutor. He needs to curb his excessive dribbling, and needs to be “hearty “ at times. Still he is a player whose style should fit Everton, and the club has done a good stroke of business in gaining his transfer. Liverpool, too have done a good stroke of business, their part being the picking up of Gracie, and now of Lacey, a strong player who is, to my mind worth his place with any club because he is a strong in shot, has a grand frame, can take and give charges and is able to play in any forward position. Lacey's transfer was definitely announced this morning by the “Echo” in the following terms: - “It is certain Lacey will sign for Liverpool to-day.” This was the first announcement to the Liverpool public, and followed another exclusive and locally important transfer, viz., Ted Taylor's signing by Oldham. Lacey has been with Everton just over five years, and the Blues have had good service from Dublin Shelborne youth. He is younger than most folk imagine, and Liverpool will find their part of the bargain is distinctly a happy and profitable one, in that they require an outside winger on the left, who can put a ball across at the first touch and who can shoot with rare power. Lacey started training immediately after he had signed which was at eleven o'clock. I think the exchange between the Mersey clubs has now finished.

Lacey Everton record: - 1908-09 1 League app.

• 6 League apps, 1 goal.

1910-11 24 League apps, 8 goals, 2 Fac apps.

1911-12 6 League apps 2 goals, 1 Fac apps.

Total 37 League apps 11 goals. Fac Apps 3 apps.



February 28 1912. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury.

The rearranged League match between Everton and Bolton Wanderers, which should have been played last Saturday, but was interrupted by the Cup-ties, resulted in a narrow victory for Everton at Goodison, yesterday by 1-0. It must be admitted that the winners were the superior team, and but for an unusual lack of finish among the forwards would have won by a larger margin. On the other hand, Bolton ate to be considered with on the loss of Baverstock, their clever right back, who it subsequently transpired, broke a bloodvessel of an eye. Baverstock was absent after the first fifteen minutes, and this proved a serious handicap to the visitors. Their four forwards displayed plenty of dash, but seldom looked like getting the upper hand despite the fact that Everton's half-backs were below the usual standard. A notable exception, however, was Beare who had to contend with one of the best wings on the field. Fleetwood was weak and Makepeace was good minute and poor the next. One of the most notable features from a local stand point was the debut of Uren in the Blue jersey, and to say the least he gave a distinctly creditable display at times, dovetailing beautifully with Bradshaw. At the same time one cannot help thinking that more judicious passes from his colleagues would have improved his play. His opportunities were not many. On this occasion the forwards were a very uneven force, and have not preformed more unassertively this season. Their finishing as indicated was indecisive, and the brilliant blending that has marked the line during the last two months was lacking. Jefferis and Bradshaw did well; but Beare and Browell respectively, gave them poor support. Stevenson and Macconnachie were a reliable pair of backs, and Scott saved a couple of shots that might have turned the course of the game. Vizard was one of the most conspicuous forwards on the field. Barber running conspicuous forwards on the field, barber running at half and back.

The game was fought at a rare race from the start, Vizard making a great run, and centre, from which Barber had a great shot, which was magnificently saved. Uren was first seen to advantage with a beautiful pass to Browell, who returned the ball nice and wide of the winger. Uren's centre was a beauty, but Jefferis, in attempting to breast through, handled. Meanwhile Edmondson cleared well from Jefferis and Bradshaw headed barely over the bar, Everton were unfortunate in the loss of Baverstock, who was struck by the ball and retired after a quarter of an hour. The home halves were not up to the standard. Makepeace found Barber and Stokes a difficult wing to hold, the last named getting in a couple of brilliant screw shots. Once Scott cleared well, the shot compelling him to concede a corner, which was the cause of further anxiety until Gimblett shot wide. Despite their handicaps Bolton played with rare determination, and at this time, with Whiteside at right back and only four forwards, played a clever game. The pace slowed down considerably towards the interval, and neither side looked like scoring. Eventually Everton made ground through a couple of free kicks, but these were indifferently utilised. The forward work became very scrappy. For the Wanderers there were some execuse, but Everton were very disappointing. Bradshaw and Uren, however, made one brilliant piece of passing, which would probably have resulted in a goal but for Browell getting offside. Edmondson saved finely from Jefferis, and Browell had two attempts from the rebound, one missing the bar and the other going barely over. So there was no score at the interval.

Everton resumed with more life, but still they failed to turn well-won opening to account, Browell having one fine chance but passing tamely. The shooting of both sides was erratic. Following a corner granted by Macconnachie, Stokes had a glorious opportunity, but shot recklessly. Edmondson had difficulty with a bouncing ball, which instead of taking at once he turned over the bar for a fruitless corner. Vizard gave his colleagues several fine openings Hughes once missing narrowly with a great long drive, Beare making a wretched attempt with only the goalkeeper to beat. Edmondson only partially stopped a shot from Jefferis, and in clearing haphazard Bolton sent the ball over to the right, when Beare easily returned, Jefferis tried to head, but Bradshaw comfortably hooked the ball into the net, after twenty minutes. The Wanderers put in some splendid work in the ensuing few minutes, but Everton speedily returned to the attack, and Bardshaw and Browell between them all, but rushed another goal. Everton were almost wholley in the picture to the finish. Teams : - Everton: - Scott, goal, Stevenson, and Macconnachie (Captain), backs, Harris, Fleetwood, and Makepeace, half-backs, Beare, Jefferis, Browell, Bradshaw, and Uren, forwards. Bolton Wanderers: - Edmondson goal, Bacerstock, and Feebury, backs, Gimblett, Fay, and Whiteside, half-backs, Stokes, barber, Hughes, Smith, and Vizard, forwards.

Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser - Wednesday 28 February 1912
Quite a flutter has been caused in Merseysida football circles by the announcement that Liverpool and Everton have exchanged a couple of forwards. The "blues" have passed Lacey, the Irish international, and in return Liverpool have transferred Harold Uren In the course of last week. Everton transferred Gracie to their fellowtownsman, and this further stroke business additional evidence of the good feeling which exists between the clubs. It is unnecessary to point out that Liverpool are in need players, or at any rate their lowly position the League would seem to demonstrate that fact, and with a versatile forward like Lacey to act in collaboration with Gracie, the probabilities are that their attack will considerably strengthened.
Some time ago, says a writer the " Liverpool Express," negotiations were in progress for the exchange of Lacey and Parkinson, but these fell through, only to' be taken up again, with the results stated. On Saturday last Lacey played at outside left for Everton against Oldham Athletic in the Cup-tie, and gave a very creditable account of himself, but it is probably in one of the inside positions that he will be called on to assist Liverpool. The latter have a good outside left in McDonald, and having this in mind they felt they might safely transfer Uren to Everton, for whom this capable left-winger should prove a very useful player. Lacey is, by the way, a native of Wexford, while Uren is a local product, and after assisting Hoylake for a number of seasons played for Wrexham and Liverpool for a couple years before turning professional. Having assisted the Anfielders in a Cup tie, he will not be qualified to play for Everton in the competition. He will, however, turn out for his new club against Bolton Wanderers at Goodison Park to-day.

Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer - Thursday 29 February 1912
This rearranged League match was played at Goodison Park yesterday, before 12.000 spectators. Everton played Uren (Late Lixerpool) in place of Lacey, and Bolton were at, full strength. The visitors were dangerous at the outset, Scott saved finely from Barber at close quarters. Everton later put on pressure, and the Wanderer-.' goal escaped narrowly. Later play was moderate, the shooting being weak. At the interval there was score. It transpired that Baverstock, who retired injured in the first half, had blood vessel in the right eye burst. He received the ball in the face from a kick from Uren. Play was resumed before 13,000 spectators, and both side attacked in turn, but as before, play was very poor. However, Bradshaw scored after eighteen minutes, and play livened up, but there was no more scoring. Result— Everton 1 goal, Bolton Wanderers none.


February 1912