Everton Independent Research Data


liverpool Echo-Thursday 1 February 1917
Everton have drawn the cloak from " Elliott," who played last week. Gunner Cooper, the R.G.A., and formerly an Exeter City forward, was the anonymous player, and on Saturday (kick-off 3.30) against Bolton will make his home match debut, and Merritt, of Southport, is also playing. Thompson has been suffering from a severe cold, and if Maconnachie, as is expected, is homo on leave, Thompson will have wellearned rest. Team: —Mitchell; Smith, S. O. Else; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, and Donnachie

February 1, 1917. The Evening Express
His many admirers will hear with regret that Thompson, the Everton captain is suffering from that “fashionable” complaint, a very serious cold, and the directors are consequently desirous of letting him have what they rightly describe as a well earned rest”. It may be possible to do this, because the ever popular MaConnachie is expected in Liverpool during the week-end, and if he does turn up will take Thompson's place. It is to be hoped for the sake of the latter that Mac arrives, and Thompson really was not fit to go to Rochdale last Saturday, but like a good sport he thought more of his club than himself, and played a sound game in spite of his cold. Two other changes have to be recorded. On the right wing the outside man will be Merritt, of Southport Centre, who has promised to play for Everton and he will be partnered by Gunner T. Cooper (R.G.A) the inside right of Exeter City. Changes notwithstanding I expect to see Everton too good for Bolton Wanderers. The kick-off is timed for 3.30 p.m. And the local eleven will line up as follows: - Everton; Mitchell, Smith, MaConnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, Donnachie.

February 1 1917 Liverpool Echo
Everton have drawn the cloak from “Elliott” who played last week. Gunner Cooper of the R.G.A, and formerly an Extern City forward, was the anonymous player, and on Saturday (kick-off 3.30) against Bolton he will make his home match debut, and Merritt, of Southport, is also playing. Thompson has been suffering from a severe cold, and if Macconnachie, as is expected, is home o leave, Thompson will have a well earned rest. Team; Mitchell; Smith, S.O. Else; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, and Donnachie.

February 2, 1917. The Evening Express
As was stated yesterday, Everton, who entertain Bolton Wanderers are giving a run to a new wing (that sounds a bit Irish), whilst Mitchell returns to keep goal, and if MaConnachie can reach Liverpool in time, he will play at left full back, thus allowing Thompson to have a well earned rest and to get rid of the cold he suffering from. At Outside right G. Merritt, the Burscough youth, who has been playing some good goes for Southport Central, will make his first appearance for the Goodison Club, and will be partnered by Cooper, the former Exeter City forward. At the time of writing Bolton team, is not to hand. It should be noted that the kick-off fixed for 3.30 p.m. Everton; Mitchell, Smith, MaConnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, Donnachie.

FEBRUARY 2, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee's Notes
Many happy returns is my text today. Mr. W.C. Cuff has returned to office, after a spell of flu, and the team sheet shows the return of Mitchell and others. Clennell is not yet sound, but is progressing excellently, and may be right for Saturday week. If MaConnachie is home on leave Bob Thompson will have a rest, if is mainly the forward line that has troubled the Everton selectors. Much interest will be shown in Cooper, of Exeter, who, if I remember aright the confabs I used to have with friend Fred Lake, is a speedy fellow and a very used player. Merritt, who has been crowned out of Southport's side through Hoppers's fine form, is a strong winger, and on the other flank we shall see Jefferis and Donnachie pairing –that promises suggests much wise football. Bolton should be beaten, and I expect a big crowd will attend at Goodison as the kick-off is fixed for 3.30. Everton; Mitchell, Smith, MaConnachie; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, Donnachie.

February 3, 1917. The Liverpool Football Club
“Bee's comments thus o the football doings of the day;-
Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith (West Brom) and MaConnachie, backs; Fleetwood (captain), Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Meritt (G.) (Southport Central), Lovelady, Morris, Jefferis, and Donnachie (Oldham), forwards. Bolton Wanderers;- Hodgkiss, goal; Shippbottom, and Hurst, backs; Gimblett, Keenan, and Clayton, half-backs; Pickup, Appleton, Buchan(captain) Helsop and Livesley, forwards. Fleetwood was captain, and the reappearance of Moonachie was appreciated by the crowd. Mr. Ralph Eccles deputised for Mr. Turner. Lovelady, who played instead of Cooper, has often appeared with Everton “A” and he won many prises on the track. When Buchan who the toss, he started with nine men, and the Wanderers in spite of their handicap, forced a corner before the late comers arrived. Everton swiftly replied, and when the left wing had artistically made progress Merritt after slipping up, shot in sharply, Hodgkiss making a nice and timely clearance. One does not often see a free kick given against MaConnachie, but he was now penalised for a trip on Pickup. The free kick proved dangerous, Grenyer miskickig and Appleton shooting at close range. Fortunately the shot hit MaConnachie and rebounded into safety. In spite of Bolton's ideas of combination and swinging the ball about, Everton got going, and a dogged run by Morris promised well until his shooting angle became impossible. In spite of the absence of Vizard and Smith, Bolton fared surprisingly well, and when Buchan and Pickup led a raid the attack was sustained some moments, Wareing being the man to release the stress. Bolton were rather fond of handling, and on one occasion Referee Eccles showed welcome wisdom in allowing Morris to play on in spite of a handling case on the part of the Wanderers. Bolton were puzzled whether a foul was to be given or not, but Morris plodded on and nearly scored. Merritt too showed enterprise, but all round the game had been a big disappointment and without doubts the lively ball and the hard ground was in a measure responsible for this. There was far too much ballooning to allow smart play. Wareing, Smith, and MaConnachie revelled in their work, and when Merritt centred, Hodgkiss hung on to the ball and endangered his goal, Jefferis tackling him vigorously. Hardly had a free kick for foul against Jefferis been taken before Shippbottom was stunned by a blow on the head. He soon recovered and proved himself a worthy player by the way he checked Donnachie. There was a heavy snowfall now, and this would probably make the going soften. At any rate it encouraged Fleetwood to shoot, and his long and brilliant drive was smothered by Hodgkiss who adopted the same means of saving when Morris got through from a centre by Smith, who had for the moment came from right back to outside right. Grenyer with a free kick, tested Hodgkiss ad in the last three minutes of the half we had seen real football.

Half-time; Everton 0, Bolton 0.
Bolton would have been one up at the first moment of the second half if Buchan had not ballooned the ball. MaConnachie provided him with a chance through mistiming a clearance. Everton speedily took ball of Buchan's commission. Merritt and Lovelady paired nicely, and in close work they dribbled effectively. Lovelady had Hodgkiss well beaten when the ball hit a goalpost. Donnachie placed a corner, and Lovelady, posted at the inside left position, cutely headed the ball behind him and scored unexpectedly time 48 mins. Merritt side-tapped his way passed two men, ad was rudely grassed by Hurst –an offence inches short of the penalty offence. Fleetwood's free kick swerved outside. Everton were all over the opponents at this point and when Clayton got over being winded Hodgkiss was well beaten, by a ball that struck at the foot of the post. Among the spectators by the way, was referee E. Bamber, recently invalided home from the front. Everton pressed attack upon attack and Jefferis had hard lines when he made his way through and had a place shot luckily charged down.
Goals; Lovelady scored -48 minutes.

February 5, 1917. The Evening Express.
Everton played an engineer's apprentice named Lovelady in place of Cooper, and he headed the only goal early in the second half, but it was largely the fault of the Everton eleven that they did not win more decisively. Unquestionable the superior side so far as combination was concerned; the forwards finessed and finessed till one of the visitors kicked the ball away. Bolton only attacked at rare intervals, but there was no penetrative power in the home advance. Merritt justified his inclusion by some tricky runs, and Lovelady scored a good goal. Morris and Jefferis were not so prominent as usual, and received little latitude from Hurst and Shippbottom. The halves were the best of the Goodison players and all were responsible for initiating promising attacks, which, however fell through. They also bottled up the Bolton attack, and gave Smith and MaConnachie little to do, whilst Mitchell had nothing to keep him warm. For Bolton Hodgkiss, when tested, gave a good account of himself; the halves defended well, Clayton doing best, but the forwards were very unsteady, and sadly lacking I combination.

February 5, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton “carved” by injuries and Army calls, and big as is their rescuers, the fact remains that even Everton have felt the draughts, so that their win on Saturday was welcome, no matter what standard of game was attained. As a fact, the game was not too interesting. Bolton played a dogged and practical game at the outset, but their forwards, like many another line, fell under the spell of that splendid trio, Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer –each tail, judicious happy in breaking up an attack and happy in wriggling forward and serving their own forwards with ground passes. The ground was very hard, and good play could not be expected. Still, in the writer’s view the policy of ballooning the ball was against the sense of wisdom. Here was a ball that was “touchy.” It would jump bibber thither at the slightest forceful kick, and in spite of that fact, the players put it up in the air. Another matter which was “commendable” was the frequency of Bolton’s handling –a matter in which the Liverpool players have this season been noted for. It was good to see Referee, Eccles carry on the game when, by pulling up Morris (the innocent party), he would have penalised Morris and Everton.
The left wing, which I expected would “develop” did not like the going, and we must wait for better conditions ere they show us their worth. Morris was earnest, as usual but he lacks the ability to trap a ball and should study this phase. Lovelady has ideas and Merritt we know to be a smart little winger who can push and go. Lovelady’s goal was neatly executed –a back header –but in our line there was need for more direct shooting. Fleetwood and Grenyer shot as well as any forward. Of the losers one must confess that Buchan was out of the picture and the right wing was erratic. The half backs were fair and the backs and goalkeeper excellent. Most folk seen to have fancied Hurst the more prominent, but, remembering that Shippbottom got a nasty blow in the first half , he is built on the Bob Struthers line and kicks a nice length. Hodgkiss was very safe and his method of smothering shots was commendable.

February 7, 1917. The Evening Express
Weather permitting, and that is a big consideration just at present, Everton travel to Burslem on Saturday to play Port Vale, who are only once removed from bottom place in the table. Out of 22 matches the Vale have been successful four times, so that if the Goodison team can take the field as selected they should have an excellent chance of winning. Everton have made two changes in the eleven which neat Bolton Wanderers. MaConnachie has returned to his army duties and consequently will not be available, so that Thompson will return to left full back to partner Smith. It is hoped that Cooper, the Exeter City forward, who is stationed at Crosby and who was chosen to play at inside right last Saturday, but could not turn out will be able to travel to Staffordshire and partner Merritt. Otherwise the team will be as against Bolton Wanderers and is as follows:- Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, Donnachie.

February 9, 1917. The Evening Express
The Goodison Park directors have also made two changes from last week in the team chosen against Burslem Port Vale. MaConnachie has returned to his Army duties, and consequently will not be available, so that Thompson will return to left full back to partner Smith. It is hoped that Cooper, the Exeter City forward, who is stationed at Crosby, and who was chosen to play at inside right last Saturday, but could turn out will be able to travel to Staffordshire and partner Merritt. Everton; Mitchell; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, Donnachie.

February 10, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Journey to Burslem Port Vale Ground
F.E.H. Special
As we sped from Liverpool towards the Potteries the landscape lay under a mantle of snow, and the general outlook was bleak and dreary. A rapid journey to Hanley was made, and a large crowd turned out to see the Evertonians, who have a great reputation in the neighbourhood of the “Five Towns.” The afternoon was fine, though dull and the ground, though lumpy and distinctly on the hard side, might have been worse. There was a thin sprinkling of frozen snow, but this was partially palliated by sand. There was only one change in the home team and Everton turned out as advertised except that Fleetwood was unable to make the journey, and his place was filled by Stewart. There were fully 4,000 people present when the teams lined out as follows:- Everton; Mitchell, goal; Smith (West Brom) and Thompson (captain), backs; Stewart, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Merritt (G.) (Southport), Cooper (Exeter City), Jefferis, and Donnachie, forwards. Burslem;- Powell, goal; Benthley and Collins, backs; J. Shelton, Phillips, and Groves, half-backs; G. Shelton, Brough, Lockett, Needham, Wootton, forwards. Referee; Mr. R. Eccles, Darwen. Everton won the toss, and Burslem started against a slight cross breeze. After the opening exchanges the home right wing made dangerous play, and Brough was well placed when he hesitated, thus allowing Wareing to nip in and clear. The visitors at once took up the running on the left, and Donnachie looked like rounding Bentley, when the latter recovered himself and cleared. The Evertonians then proceeded to make a series of substantial attacks on the home goal and only for the hesitancy at critical moments they must surely have got through. Morris was sailing in when he was knocked off the ball by Collins, and the leather travelled across to Merritt, who sent in a puzzling shot which was well gathered by Powell. For quite a long period the visitors exercised pressure, and Cooper made two valiant attempts top draw first blood, but without success. The Morris nipped in between the two backs and essayed a strong shot but this also were safely. A spasmodic breakaway on the part of the home left afforded some relief, but Smith and Stewart speedily sent them to the right about and we again had the spectacle of the visitors hammering at the home goal but unable to effect an entry. Jefferis and Cooper both missed chances and then the Vale came away for the first time in combined order. Shelton and Brough dribbled the ball clean through the Everton defence and Sheldon in attempting a header put over the line. Everton replied with an equally determined onslaught and Grenyer, from twenty yards range put in a beauty, which Powell scooped very cleverly from under the bar. The pace was now very merry and in spited of the hard turf, several of the players did not scruple to take risks. Needham and Lockett on one occasion made a bold bid for mastery, but they were well held by Wareing and Grenyer and for a time there was give and take play in midfield. Everton were the first to return to the attack, ground being being on the right, where a corner was forced, but the ball was put behind by Merritt. Jefferis and Donnachie were next in the picture with some tricky footwork, and the latter finished with a characteristic screw shot which the home custodian gathered well. The visitors were now almost monopolising the pressure, but they finished badly; but at length Burslem wakened up to some purpose. They came clean through on the right and the ball being passed to Lockett, the home centre had an open goal before him were he misfired. A few minutes later Needham came through and had his shot charged down for the cost of a corner. This was only partially cleared and Needham, returning on top speed struck the cross bar with a fine hard drive. This endangered the Everton defenders roused themselves with the result that we had an exciting series of exchanges within the visitors goalline. Thompson twice cleared splendidly, but he was beaten when Needham got hold and shot from an offside position. In the closing stages of the first period Everton redoubled their efforts to retain the land, and from a corner on the left Grenyer sent in a low shot which he evidently thought had scored, for he appealed strongly. Mr. Eccles, however, shook his head, and progress was made by the Vale left wing, Wootton finishing with a fine centre which was allowed to go a begging. The visitors then made another desperate effort, and Cooper was unfortunate in not scoring with a shot that was only cleared at the expense of a corner.
Half-time; Burslem 0, Everton 0
Taking into account the constitution of the ground, play in the first half had been exceptionally fast and agreeably episode. The Everton vanguard were quicker on the ball then their opponents and their footwork was in the main more co-ordinated. Their finishing touches, however, were woefully weak, ad it was not often that Powell was seriously troubled. Merritt and Cooper were the more prominent wings, but both these players were obviously over anxious with the result that their shooting lacked the accessory accuracy. Grenyer did yeoman service at half back and pt in at least two long drives that might well have found the target. Smith shared with Thompson the honours at back. The Burslem forwards, though frequently dangerous were just as erratic as their opponents and hence it was that there was no score at the turn.
Second Half.
There was a crowd of 5,000 present when play was resumed. Burslem began with a series of forward movements on the right which eventually came to nothing, and a free kick landed the leather in home quarters. Here Merritt and Cooper tried hard to break through but there was Collins to be reckoned with. Still the Blues vanguard kept up the attack, and Jefferis lobbed the ball dangerously up in the goalmouth. This led to an exciting scrimmage and the strain become intensified when Donnachie put in a clinking centre, which Morris just failed to convert. Cooper next tried his luck with a long hard drive –a highly creditable effort, which missed the mark by a mere matter of inches. As the game progressed renewed pressure was exerted by both sides. A tremendous drive from Needham was wonderfully well saved by Smith and the same player was subsequently instrumental in diverting a hot shot by Wootton. Burslem at this junction were in a most determined mood and a brisk movement on the left finally led to success, for Lockett getting possession from Needham scored at close range amidst great cheering. After this Everton were most aggressive and Morris was again unlucky in not getting through. Everton kept pegging away in the most diligent manner and at length Jefferis equalised. Final; Burnslem 1, Everton 1.
Goals scores;
Lockett scored for Burslem
Jefferis equalised for Everton.

February 15, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton are sending over their “A” team to meet the Laird’s workers team on Saturday. The game will take place at the Dock station, Birkenhead Line of Dock car to ground, and wounded soldiers will be admitted free kick-off 3.15. Laird’s team; Freeman; Ludlow, Jones; Murray, Cordal, McGun, Grey, Evans, Johnson, Robinson, Selby, Reserves McGrath, Wakinson.

February 16, 1917. The Evening Express
There are several changes from last week in the composition of the Everton side selected to face Oldham Athletic at Goodison Park tomorrow. A trail will be given to a new outside left in the person of T. Gouldson, who plays for the Comets and who helped them to win the Councillor Walker Charity Cup last Saturday, when he created a very favourable impression. Fern will resume in goal instead of Mitchell, and Fleetwood will again appear in the right half-back position. The side chosen is as follows;- Everton; Fern; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, Gouldson.
Camel Laird’s v. Everton “A”
Mr. W. Cuff is sending the “A” team over to play Cammell Laird’s on Saturday on the Wirral Railway enclosure, Dock Station. Line of docks cars pass the ground. Kick-off 3.15 Wounded soldiers will be admitted free. Laird’s team; Freeman; Ludlow, Jones; Murray, Cordall, McGlen; Grey, Evans, Johnson, Robinson, Selby, Reserves; McGrath and Watkinson.

Liverpool Echo-Friday 16 February 1917.
The death has occured at Nottingham of Jack Hendry, the famous Scottish footballer, who played for many years as full back for the Notts County Club, and was a member of that side when it won the English Cup at Everton in the spring of 1894.  He was forty-nine eyars old.
Everton's second team against Cammell Lairds at the Dock Station, Birkenhead, tomorrow will be represented as follows;- Kelly; Limer, and Smith; Snape, Keddie, and Dale; Furlong, Peet, McLoughlin, Hymes, and Goddard. 

Liverpool Echo - Friday 16 February 1917
Everton's second teem against Cammed, Laird's, at the Dock Station, Birkenhead, tomorrow, will be represented as follows: Kelly; Limer and Smith; Snape, Keddie, and Dale; Furlong, Peet, M'Loughlin, Hymes, and Goddard.

February 16, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton are at home to Oldham a team that has gone through a period of great stress, but how pluckily played off. Latterly the side has shown capital form, and the fact that they could beat Manchester City is simple evidence for Evertonians that the match tomorrow should be a keen one. Everton, by their draw at Burslem did well, and tomorrow, when the teams line up at 3.30, there should be a capital attendance to welcome ;- ;- Everton; Fern; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis, Gouldson.
Cooper is expected to make his first home appearance, and Gouldson, who is being given a trial, impressed by his play for Comets in a final tie last Saturday.
League Decide for Everton
Ernest Gault the clever Stockport forward is not able to make journeys to Stockport, and consequently will help Everton after tomorrow. The League were called into action through Stockport refusing permission but of course, Stockport acted foolishly, and I may say, rather ungenerously. As stated yesterday Everton have put £2,500 in the Loan and the Central League (which has had no income for years) £260. The Central League is a live body and was the only representative football body to have an investment in the old loan –they had £200.

Liverpool Echo-Friday 16 February 1917.
The death has occured at Nottingham of Jack Hendry, the famous Scottish footballer, who played for many years as full back for the Notts County Club, and was a member of that side when it won the English Cup at Everton in the spring of 1894.  He was forty-nine eyars old.
Everton's second team against Cammell Lairds at the Dock Station, Birkenhead, tomorrow will be represented as follows;- Kelly; Limer, and Smith; Snape, Keddie, and Dale; Furlong, Peet, McLoughlin, Hymes, and Goddard. 

February 17, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Bee’s Special
Oldham’s Happy Hunting Ground
Oldham Athletic have pleasant memories of Everton, a ground from which they have taken many, many points, just as Everton have taken many from Oldham’s home. Today Oldham tackled Everton, whose side was due to include Gouldson (a Comet Player), and Cooper made his bow to home spectators. As I stated last night, the League have stepped in and made Stockport do that which were very averse to do –let E. Gault their crack scorer play for Everton. He is likely to resume with the old club next week. Teams; Everton; Fern, goal; Smith (West Bromwich) and Thompson (captain), backs; Fleetwood, Wareing, and Grenyer, half-backs; Merritt, Cooper, Morris, Jefferis and Gouldson (T.), forwards. Oldham; Matthews, goal; Grundy and Clarkson, backs; Aldred, Littleford, and Cavanagh, half-backs; Taylor, Thompson, Gee, McDermitt, and Bracegirdle, forwards. It was a sensational opening. Oldham had barely won the toss before Everton had scored and the boy who piloted the ball through the goal was Gouldson, who had only been in senior football two minutes before he scored. Merritt and Morris made the point possible by enterprising football and when Merritt placed the corner kick, Gouldson gently nodded the ball through. The players floundered about a lot, and miskicking and mistiming were frequently. Nevertheless Jefferis dribbled in a manner that suggested that the ball was tied to his foot. In all his dribbles Jefferis showed ideas and wisdom, and Cooper too demonstrated his ability in no uncertain manner. Oldham’s best effort at goal-scoring was credited to their full-back, Clarkson who got a bonny shot from a free kick. The ball did not rise above two feet from the ground, and considering the trench like quagmire in which Fern operated the save was a brilliant one. Thompson and Smith had to defend stoutly and kick accurately to stem Oldham’s occasional dashes but so far there was no holding the Everton attack. Cooper was unselfish with his pass and one tricky move offered a chance, put the inside-left did not properly hit the ball. A better effort came from Grenyer, who with a free kick made Matthews dart to the foot of the goal to save a hot shot. The shot an save were excellent. The game was full of goal shots, and after Jefferis and Merritt had put in gentle ones, Morris shot wide and Merritt made a solo run; which had to be clinched with a hasty shot, the ball not being under control. For a change, Oldham broke away, the Old Blackburn sprinter Bracegirdle getting down to goal and lobbing the ball rather than shoot at a bad angle. The intervention of Wareing was the solo season of Oldham’s inability to claim level scores. Everton thought fit to straightway improve their position and after Merritt and Gouldson had got the defence withering about Jefferis scored a popular and easy goal after half an hour. Considering the amount of pressure applied the Oldham backs did well, but the half-backs had no idea how to step the Everton forwards who were having a field day, thanks in the greatest measures to Jefferis. Before half-time Wareing tested Matthews again, but the ex-Brum as also another ex-Midlander, Smith, of the Albion, was very safe. From Morris, who had worried his way to within three yards of goals, was wonderful, and the crowd was generous n its applause of the astonishing save.
Half-time; Everton 2, Oldham 0
There was a mist in the air, and although the game had started late an interval was allowed. Everton started as though they were inclined to hold their opponents cheaply but there was certain liveliness in Gee and others of the visiting side, and this made Everton buck-up. When Everton got going Cooper went near with two shots, Matthews again surprising the forward. Smith adopted summary measures with Taylor. When that player went to assist Thompson who was in trouble. Taylor was speeding away, and Smith fouled him, without paying a penalty of any kind. This was but one of a number of curious decisions by the referee, who, like the weather, was a bit foggy. Everton without unduly exerting themselves, were easily mastering their small opponents, and interest in the game began to flag, until a succession of free kicks as the crowd shouting. One of the Oldham backs, in miskicking, offered Jefferis a chance, and Matthews saved the low shot with ease, but would have been troubled with a long one from Grenyer only the ball swerved a yard wide. Today’s match will ever be remembered as belonging to Jefferis and Matthews. Matthews is getting to the veteran stage; but considering the conditions and the sticky ball, I have never seen cleaner catching or picking up. There was no sensation about the work, and Matthews had no need to fling himself at the ball so well had he anticipated the forwards and their shots. When Jefferis broke through again Matthews parried his shot with ease, and Oldham replied from a free kick with a shot that hit Fern on the chest and rebounded to two Oldham forwards, who could not utilise the gift goal. Smith revelled in the mud larking exhibition and at times covered Thompson with good results.
Goals scorers
Gouldson scored for Everton –two minutes
Jefferis scored -30 minutes

February 17, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
On the Docks Station ground. It was exceedingly heavy after the snow. Camel-Laird’s had the better of the opening play the left wing going very strongly and Selby sent in a good shot which deserved a better fate than it met. A minute later Cammells again attacked and once more Selby’s shot was stopped by Lymer, who also saved an attempt by Grey and Evans. After a fine run by Robertson, Parle got possession and following up a shot which Kelly handled, landed the ball into the net. The attack was maintained by Cammells chiefly by Cardie, and after a scrimmage in front of goal jamieson headed in number two. Just on half time Evans scored for Cammells. Half-time; Cammell Laird’s 3, Everton “A” 0.

February 18, 1917.
Newton of Stockport County, has been selected for the right back position in Everton's team tomorrow.

February 19, 1917 The Evening Express
Everton did what was expected of them by beating Oldham Athletic, the final score being two goals to nil in their favour. Both the goals were obtained in the first half, number one coming in sensational fashion after a minute’s play. Gouldson, who was at outside left being the scorer, thus making a good debut. He is a member of the Comets team. The second goal came from Jefferis, who shot into net from the penalty area, a nicely judged effort. Everton were always the better side. Fern was as safe as ever in what little he had to do, and made a great save at full length in the last five minutes. Smith and Thompson were sound, the former making some clever recoveries, whilst both kicked a nice length, but the best performance on the field were the Everton halves, and where all three Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, were so good it is impossible to individualise. The forwards also combined well, Merritt and Cooper being a fine wing, while jefferis also revelled in the heavy going. Morris distributed the ball with judgement and Gouldson “got there” on one occasion, but was not suited by the conditions. Matthews was the hero of the Oldham side, and he made a number of splendid saves, three from Cooper in the second half being as clever as one could wise to see.

February 19, 1917, The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Everton have for many years had little trouble with their half-back line, and they have been noted for a trio of tall and strong members. In calling up some memory one is reminded of lines that read; Booth, Taylor, Abbott, also Boyle, Holt, Stewart also Harris, Taylor and Makepeace. Nowadays the line reads Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, and lucky in the club that has three regular members such as the trio mentioned. They are ever-present and they have in addition to their physical strength a football strength that is not often found in each of the three position. The three had an easy task on Saturday against Oldham for the little Oldham side without David Wilson’s enthusiasm and coaching was like a panto without a Prince. The half backs named simply layed with their adversaries and with Thompson and Smith playing their best and Fern making two daring saves, Oldham got naught for their trouble.
Matthews, Great
The little bald patch at the top of the cranium of Matthews, the Oldham goalkeeper, suggests that he is getting on in years. He was picked up quite cheaply by Davie Ashworth and after seeing his performance on Saturday one can readily understand how it was Oldham could not forsake him for Ted Taylor, well as the latter was playing Matthews collard the softball with a perfect clean grip and considering the amount of work he went through hi movements were very infrequent. He isn’t a self-advertising goalkeeper, and gets there nevertheless. This must mean that the much talked of “anticipation” is deep-rooted in Matthews. With the names of Matthews must be coupled the name of Frank Jefferis who revelled in the mud; and although some may view that he hung on to the ball too long the fact remains that he controlled it at will and did not pass until he had drawn defenders on his track –this made the pathway of his co-forwards pretty easy. He seems on this showing to be quite as much at home on the left as on the right. I should like to have seen Donnachie and Jeffeirs getting on reasonably good turf – I think they would have settled the natives.
Enter Newcomers
The Everton selection sheet had much to interest. There was the first appearance of Cooper at Goodison and the play of Gouldson the player of the unusual football titled Comets F.C. Gouldson recalls Palmer, now of Barnsley, by his action, and for a youngster he like his former club mates, Lewis, of Liverpool, promises much. Lewis always looked like “coming on” and with the young winger aided and coached by Jefferis he should fare well in his new sphere. Cooper, who brings back memories of Barness by his style and has a Coleman look about his face had a lot of experience, and he provided Merritt with some excellent openings. Merritt pleased and so did Cooper, the latter’s shots being unlucky, but swift enough to show that on his going he would be a difficult customer to prevent scoring.

February 21, 1917. The Evening Express
There are two important announced in the Everton team chosen to play, against North End at Preston on Saturday, as Clennell and Gault are included in the forward line. The latter has been Stockport County’s chief goal-scorer this season, and it is largely due to him that the county figure so high up in the table, but Gault’s home is in Liverpool, and as he finds it difficult to get to Stockport he has decided to give his services to the Goodison Park team. The statement in a contemporary their Gault is to be allowed to play for Everton only in their home games is quite wrong, and he is a certain starter on Saturday, working permitting. His many admirers will also learn with pleasure that Clennell has recovered sufficily to turn out more and it is to be hoped his powers as a “netter” will again be in evidence. The team chosen is as follows;- Everton; Fern; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Gault, Clennell, Gouldson.

February 23, 1917, The Evening Express
Everton go away to play North End at Preston, and there are two interesting returns in the forward line which will be led by Gault, who has been scoring so frequently for Stockport County. He will be partnered on the left by Clennell, happily fit again, and if both are wearing their hooting boots Preston’s “pride” should be humbled ere the final whistle is sounded. Although without the aid of the soldier footballer from Fulwood Barracks, who have occasionally assisted them in this season’s games. Preston North End will able to places a strong eleven in the field. Broad and Taylor who were unable to obtain leave on Saturday returning to the side. The teams are selected as follows; - Everton; Fern; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Merritt, Cooper, Gault, Clennell, Gouldson. Preston; Taylor; Broadhurst, Tunstall; Holdsworth, McCall, Swarbrick; Board, Jackson, Edmondson, Hosker, Barlow.

February 24, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Best Custodian Burns Campbell Has Seen
Some little time ago a correspondent kindly wrote to me to suggest that if ever I happened to be hard up for a subject I might manage to knock an article out of goalkeepers, with particular reference I think in the large number of first-class goalkeepers Everton had passed through their hands since the League was formed. This week another correspondent has written asking me to tell him in the course of an article who was the best keeper I have every seen and why? There appears to be a great public interest in goalkeepers which is a sign that sympathy is not dead among us, for a goalkeeper, is a lonely man who, as a rule –gets little or none of the praises when his team wins, and gets nearly all the blame when his side goes down. There used to be an impression that a long spell of goalkeeping induced insanity, and the little excentitinities of various guardians of the breach were advanced as proof of the theory. I remember once discussing the point with Joe Lietosley, and I certainly assured him that it was my conviction that all great goalkeepers were need. He thought it over for a bit and them said “Would you say I am mad” My answer was that if he wasn’t mad then he was not a great goalkeeper, and he could have it either way he liked for nine penny. He promised to think it over and let me have his decision by return of post or words to that effect, but though that was so long ago as January 1910, I haven’t heard from him on that subject since then. Whether all great goalkeepers are mad or not is something that I am not prepared to be dogmatic about. I have known famous custodians who were certainly “peculiar” to put it mildly, and I have known others who were perfectly sane. There are exception to every rule of course, and either the “peculiar” ones I know or the sane ones must have been exceptions but which was which I know not. Among the Everton collection of keepers, to whom one correspondent of mine referred there were at least two who could be accused of being slightly eccentric. One was Rab M’Farlane the other Dick Roose. M’Farlane I shall always consider the weirdest keeper I have ever seen. I knew him he was with Greennock Morton and with Celtic and to tell half of the strange things I have seen him do would fill a column. He had a playful habit, for instance of turning cartwheels when his side scored; he was also fond of carrying on animated discussions with spectators behind the goal during the progress of a game, and once I saw him chase a small net boy who had said something rude to him right to the corner flag, despite that fact that play was going on hotly no more than thirty yards from his own goal, I never saw him play in England and I don’t know whether he did these daft things on this side of the Border, although a friend who saw him a lot when he was at Grimsby says that he was a hand full there as well as in Scotland. As for friend Roose I hardly how to class him. The chances are that if I say he was sane he will sue me for libel, and his solicitors might advise him to take that step if I say he wasn’t sane but, at any rate, he will agree with me that as a player he was distinctly eccentric. Most of my readers will have seen him for themselves and may have been lucky enough to see him in one, of the his hilarious games, when he has been keeping everyone on tenterhook, especially his own backs. The stories that are told of Roose are legion, and I fancy that some of them were inventions, but in every way he was a remarkable goalkeeper, not that remarkable when he happened to be right on his game, for then, he was the greatest goalkeeper in the world, bar none. I am sorry that I have not the space in which to deal fully with the many goalkeepers Everton have had, but certainly they have and a greater number at really first class men than any other club I can think off.

February 24, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
Lieutenant James Galt is reported to have crossed the channel this week for the purpose of breaking up the German forwards and having a shot at goal.

February 24, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
How Attack Fared at Deepdale
F.E.H Special
Everton had a keen eye upon both points today at Deepdale, for their attack had been much strengthened, according to team arrangements by the return of Clennell, who has had a long spell “off,” and Gault the forward Stockport County tried to stop returning to Everton. The atmosphere at Deepdale this afternoon was of what may be described as a “pessoupy” description. “In spite of this, quite a good crowd turned out to welcome the Evertonians. The famous enclosure looked in excellent conditions, a liberal sprinkling of sand having tried up the puddles and there was every prospects of a fast game when the team appeared. Everton were able to field the selected eleven –a very strong side by the way –but there were two notable absentees’ from the home eleven. McCall and Houldsworth, while the commonplace cognomen of Brown thinly connected the identity of the performer as centre-half. Teams; Everton; Fern, goal; Smith (West Brom) and Thompson (captain), backs; Fleetwood, Wareing and Grenyer, half-backs; Merritt (Southport Centre), Cooper, (Exeter City), Gault (Stockport County), Clennell, and Gouldson (Comets), forwards. Preston North End; Taylor, goal; Broadhurst and Threlfall, backs; Swarbrick, Brown, and Speak, half-backs; Broad, Jackson, Edmondson, Hosker and Barlow, forwards. Referee; Mr. J.T. Howcroft (Bolton). North End started and the brisk opening exchanges gave promise of good things to come. The Prestonians were the first to press, and Hosker was well placed when he put outside. The visitors were not slow to retaliate. They came along in fine combined order and looked extremely dangerous when Broadhurst stepped into the breach and the pressure was relieved. North End proceeded to prosecutes a most virile and spirited campaign, and is was well for Everton that the defence was so sound. Fleetwood pulled up Barlow and Hosker with more force than politeness and from the free kick there was an exciting bully in front of Fern. A fast, oblique shot from the home outside left was rather luckily headed away by Thompson, and a few minutes later a long drive from Broad went sailing over the bar. Everton at length made ground on the right, Merritt and Cooper displaying a nice understanding, but the last named was a little slow in finishing, with the result that two nice openings were lost. A brilliant break away by the home left looked like proving a certain winner. Barlow flashed the ball right across the goalmouth, and Jackson headed it in very cleverly. Fortunately for Everton Fern was on the alert, and he fielded the leather most adroitly. It seemed quite a long time before the Everton left wing pair got to work, and there was a flutter when Clennell proceeded to dribble the ball with unerring dexterity over the soft surface. Eventually he parted to Gault, but the latter was lying offside and the whistle promptly sounded. It was not long, however, before the Everton left were again busy, and this time their work was admirable. Gouldson flashed down the wing and then parted to Clennell, who gave Taylor such a warm handful that he could only clear at the cost of a corner. This was safely negotiated and for a further period the fortunate of war ruled in favour of the Prestonians. Their forwards were certainty more trustful in their methods and never hesitated to shoot when occasions offered. Another breakaway on the part of Merritt and Cooper afforded an agreeable change and the former’s centre was an admirable one. There was however nobody up to meet it and we again had the spectacle of Preston knocking vigorously at the Everton gate. A corner was forced on the left, and from this subsequently bully in the goalmouth Fleetwood saved the situation at the cost of a second corner kick. After a time Everton get going again Clennell being the principled operator, but he finished an exceedingly clever sole effort with a tame shot right into the home custodian’s hands. Just before the interval the visitors livened up considerably, and their sprightliness met with almost unexpected success. Gault, getting possession, put in a rasping shot, which passed a foot outside. Taylor took a rather short goal kick, and seizing on the leather Cooper scored with a shot that struck the under part of the crossbar. The Prestonians immediately retaliated by rushing the Everton defenders and almost in the twinkling of an eye the ball was netted, the leather being inadvertently headed in by Wareing. This was hard lines for the visitors, but far from being downhearted their at once swooped down upon Taylor, and from a free kick close in Clennell netted with a hard fast shot.
Half-time; Preston North End 1, Everton 2.
The first half had proved agreeably fast and incident, and Everton were rather luckily to be leading at the change of ends. Everton are certainly enjoyed much more of the attack, and if their finishing might have been better there intentions were never in doubt. The work of the Everton forward line had been somewhat disjointed, and it was not until well over half an hour’s play that they really began to give a good account of themselves. The three goals were all scored within the space of five minutes, and they were mainly the result of the loose goalkeeping.
The Second Half
The game was resumed before an increased loudly cheered at they proceeded in home attendance, and the home forwards were bard Fern’s charge. There was quite a fusillade of sharp shooting at short range and Brown twice missed the target by a mere matter of inches. On the second occasion his shot was well gathered by the watchful custodian. As in the first half Everton appeared to be very slow in getting off the mark but at length Clennell and his partner moved away at a merry pace, and the wizard like Joseph finished with a hot shot that brought Taylor to his knees. Following upon this there was another heavy bombardment of the Everton goal. The proud Prestonians were over anxious to make up the march which the enemy had stole upon them, and their shooting was so wild that for a period Fern was not seriously troubled. Nevertheless the pressure was rapet persistent and tremendous excitement followed upon a corner, relief only coming when Fleetwood literally jumped into the fray and headed clear. It was only in the fitness of things that such attacks should eventually meet with their reward and a particularly not effort nominated in. Hosker equaliser amid cheers. Final; Everton 2, Preston North End 2.
Goal Scorers
Cooper scored for Everton
Wareing headed into his own goal
Clennell scored second goal for Everton
Hosker equalised for Preston.

February 24, 1917. The Liverpool Football Echo
At Warrington before a very poor gate. Aspinall started for Warrington but Everton were at once on the defensive. The relief came when Woodhouse was outside, a corner was forced but the Everton backs cleared the danger. Kelly was tested by Aspinall and cleared Ashcroft and Murphy made headway for Everton, and a hard kick gate the home team relief, and Ashcroft missed an easy chance of opening their account. A minute later Murphy shot wide Everton at this period were sorely saved. Kelly was brought to his knees by Aspinall. Lloyd centred well, and put in a fine centre but Kelly cleared. The ball was set to Whitfield who shot outside. A free kick to Everton brought relief but Sheldon had a long punt at goal. After much pressure Wilding opened the score for Warrington. This was followed some afterwards be another one from Aspinall.
Half-time; Warrington 2, Everton “A” 0.

February 24, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
The League President has stepped in the Gault; Everton-Stockport case and ordered Stockport to explain why they didn’t play Gault at Bury. Thus for the first time in history –it is due to a war season of course, -we have a case of a club being misstatement to show cause why they did not play their player. What a war this is.
Many Misstatements
Let us go back as little as them have been many misstatement in a certain athletic journal. First Everton reported Stockport; whereas another paper has suggested that Everton were reported by Stockport. Gault appreciated Everton and desired to play for them as the result of d in –you later kick-offs and the fact that his good lady has tired of the everlasting away games. Gault has been engagement he was “away” from home.
Turned Down
At first Stockport flatly refused to give up Gault but the League forced their hand, and although statements have been made to the effect that Gault should not be allowed to play for Everton in “away” matches, Gault was chosen for the visit to Preston today. Mr. McKenna, the President arranged that Stockport should have Gault services for last week game, and Gault turned up at Bury only to find that the services were not required. That action was not fair to the player, and at once Mr. McKenna remained Stockport to explain their reason for not playing a forward who had been selected and who had gone to the trouble of journey to Bury, by arrangement. We shall await development.

February 26, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
“F.E.H” writing of the Preston match says;- The Evertonians in a strenuously-contested and frequently interesting game at Deepdale on Saturday, shared the points with Preston North End. They were perhaps a little lucky to achieve even this for on the general run of the play, particularly in the second period the home side had the better of the argument. Although sacredly a scientific contest, there was no dearth of incident, and at times the footwork of both sets of forwards possessed the real touch. Preston were always the more trustful and aggressive side and it is a long time since the famous Everton half-backs line was so thoroughly discounted. There were periods when Wareing and his two partners were absolutely out of the hunt, and credit is due to the defensive work of Smith and Thompson in keeping the invaders out. The first three goals all came within a few minutes of the interval. Cooper-opened the scoring for Everton with a simple shot that appeared to catch the home custodian napping. North End immediately swung off in irresistible fashion, and Wareing in trying to stem the rush unfortunately put the leather into his own goal. The visitors were equally quick to reply, for they made rapid ground he the left and following upon a free kick, Clennell drive the ball through the ruck into the net. In the second half North End were always the better side and though there were occasional flashes by Clennell and the pains taking right wing pair, they were rarely dangerous. Before the end Preston put themselves on hard times through Hosker, who throughout has played fine football. George Barlow also shone prominently, and there were times when he led Fleetwood a very merry dance.

Liverpool Echo - Monday 26 February 1917
When quoting tho paragraph last week referring to Parker, of Everton and Glasgow, assisting Rotherham, care was taken to make it known that "it was said " this move would be made. We doubted it. Parker is not at Rotherham, and it is plain somebody ha? been using his name. The mystery player did not turn up to engage in his game.

Nantwich Guardian - Tuesday 27 February 1917
Thanks to the kindness of the Everton Club,  Warrington entertained the Reserve team of the Goodison Park club on Saturday at Wilderspool. The match was a rare attraction, but unfortunately for the ambitions of the local executive it clashed with the counter-attraction near to, at the Rugby ground, and the attendance was affected, there being only 500 spectators present.  Warrington originally should have played Lancaster United, but the difficulties of the railway service, not to mention the financial burdens associated with the game, caused the clubs to forgo their engagements.  Both sides were strongly" represented.  Lloyd again assisting ’Warrington, though the defence was weakened by the  absence of Leah.  The ground was heavy, and the players were handicapped in trying to control the ball. Warrington were the first to become really aggressive. Aspinall and Banner making fine runs which caused Kelly trouble.  The Everton custodian in fine fettle and cleared effectively, and in turn the visitors went clean away to the Warrington end, but Stephens was safe, and the attempt to break through was well met. Warrington were more exact in their methods, and following some smart play by Whitfield and Walker, fast forward work in which Lloyd and Banner were the shining lights, resulted in Everton having a narrow escape. Sergeant Royal conceding a corner which had futile ending. Everton set up a fine defence, and combination between Whitfield, Woodhouse and Banner resulted in Siddall giving Kelly a warm handful. The custodian was not found wanting, and sent the Town back to half-way, where Ashcroft and Murphy got away, and the Warrlngtonians had all their work cut out to avert disaster, Stephens was prominent on the defence, tricking Delaney, but a moment later the visitors came near doing  the trick when Peak broke through and got past Stephens and Millward. Kite ran out to save and got to the ball in splendid style. The general run of the play went favour of Everton, but there lack of underetanding, and Kite was not seriously troubled, the shooting being very weak. The home team now showed vastly improved form, and Aspinall, Lloyd and Wilding were prominent in a raid, but Kelly’s defence was of the superb order, and twice in quick succession he made splendid saves.  In fact, at this period the goal appeared to have a charmed life, for though and Kelly met many attempts, at times the ball passed only inches wide of the net. A smart rally by Everton saw Ashcroft just miss, whilst moment later Murphy was lackiug in judgment with the defence in quandary. A spell of midfield play witnessed, and eventually Aspinall broke through but finished badly, whilst at the other end Delaney had a rare duel with Stephens and Millward, but came off second best.  Kiddall and Lloyd took the game to the Everton quarters, only to find Kelly maintain good form, Murphy placed in good position, and Kite brought off a good clearance. The visitors forced two corners in quick succession, while occasion they had an open goal but could not find the' net. Near half-time Warrington took advantage several blunders bv Dale, and after Woodhouse had failed Kelly brought off flue saves. The attack, however, was maintained, and Aspinall was next fault in failing turn to good account a perfect opening made by Siddall and Lloyd. The Town maintained the pace, and the result of another raid saw Wilding score, whilst near the interval Aspinall raced clean through and gave Kelly no chance.
Half-time: Warrington Town. 2; Everton Reserve 0.
Warrington started in fine style during the second half, and showing superior combination they were not long before the lead was increased. Capital work by Whitfield, Siddall and Lloyd led up to hot attack, and after Woodhouse had done good work Banner got through and recorded the third goal. The same player was again prominent soon after, and the result of this invasion was a second goal to Banner. Everton failed to trouble the Town defence, and were beaten at all points as the game progressed. Whitfield putting a fifth goal, so that Warrington won easily at the close. Result: Warrington. 5; Everton Reserve, 0. Warrington Town.—Kite, goal; Stephens and Milward, full-backs; Siddall, Whitfield and Walker, half-backs;  Lloyd. Wilding, Aspinall, Woodhouse, and Banner, forwards. Everton Reserve.—Kelly, goal; Sergeant Royal and Leighton, full-backs; Hughes, Kiddie and Dale, half-backs: Delaney,  Peat. Sheldon, Ashcroft and  Murphy, forwards.  

February 28, 1917. The Liverpool Echo
Bee’s Notes
Against Burnley, Everton will put out a “shapely” forward line. Merritt’s absence leads to the trial of Cooper, and with Donnachie, Jefferis, Clennell, and Gault in the attack, the line is more like an Everton line than in any previous team sheet. The team is Fern; Smith, Thompson; Fleetwood, Wareing, Grenyer; Cooper, Jefferis, Gault, Clennell, and Donnachie.






February 1917