Everton Independent Research Data


Burnley News - Wednesday 01 February 1922
Burnley and Everton Divide Points at Turf Moor
Story of Missed Chances
By Kestrel
Burnley Reserves were very disappointing on Saturday in their match against Everton Reserves.  They had innumberable chances, all won by good football, especiaqlly in the first half, but their procrastination in front of goal was irritating to the last degree.  A good deal of interest was taken in the match in view of the fact that Dobinson was making his first appearance in the front of the Burnley crowd.  Though he did not score he lead to the only goal his side obtained, and frequently distributed trhe game neatly, but he will have to rely more upon himself in making for goal of he is to bind the wings together properly.  Only Lane and Richardson showed really good form, for whilst Douglas sparkled occasionally he flattered to deceive and as regarded shooting was the master procrastinator,   he had frequent opportunities, but his hestitancy was very disappointing. 
Halley and Morgan were the best of the halves, but it was obvious that the former was far above the class, and he had opportunities for little witticisms, which not only pleased the crowd, but made the Everton forwards furiously to think. The home forwards ought have done better with the good stuff he served up.  Pearson was the more consistent back, but came very near giving a penalty on more than one occasion, whilst the manner in which both the Burnley defenders tripped opponents when beaten did not add to the enjoyment of the game. The whole the 90 minutes was well fought, the game being a keen one, and the Burnley men showed good combined football in the open, but their finishing weak. tho other hand, when Everton did get going it was mainly through individual efforts, but there was a thrustfulness and determination which Burnley lacked. An outstanding figure in the game was Brewster, the Everton centre-half, who was greatly responsible for giving Dobinson a stiff test. Both Moorwood and Fern did good work in goal.
In first few minutes Dobinson was sent forward by Halley and he a led nice raid with pass to Richardson, whose cross went too far and when Douglas returned Fern listed away. For a good while Burnley had far the best of matters Lane being an excellent craftsman, but one man who had to reckoned with was Alford, the speedy Everton left winger, and when he got one across to Wall the latter had a good opportunity but Moorwood saved 'well in the expense of a corner. It appeared that Burnley should have had penalty in one attack a " Blue " apparently handling, but the incident was allowed to pass. One or two Everton breakaways treated trouble, but weak effort by Greenhalgh with the best chance of the game was somewhat galling after the clever work that Halley and Doughs had put in.  It was not until 37 minutes had gone that in a strong attack Spencer got close in and knocked the ball down with his hand before transferring to Wall, who had no difficulty in beating Moorwood. Immediately after the' interval Douglas made a good run and transferred to Dobinson, who gave Greenhalgh a nice pass and the latter shot to the left of Fern who had no chance.  Afterwards Burnley frittered away opportunities, Douglas and Greenhalgh being especially to blame in this respect. On the run of the game, however, a draw was a fair distribution of the spoils. The teams were:—Burnley  Reserve : Moorwood ; Pearson and Jones; Halley, Brophy and Morgan: Douglas, Lane. Dobinson, Greenhalgh, and Richardson. Everton Res: Fern; Caddick, and Meller; Jeffs, Brewster, and Reid: Jones, Spencer, McGivney, Wall and Alford. Referee, Mr. H. T. Yates.

February 3, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Everton have signed on Leslie Trickett, the Wallasey junior league outside-left, who has now scored twenty nine goals in seventeen matches, Trickett stands 5ft 9ins and weights 10 stone 7lbs

February 4, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Locally the big attraction is the visit of the Ironopolis side to Goodison park, Middlesbrough will be without the services of Andy Wilson, who will be assisting his country at Wrexham, but the attack will not be weakened, as Elliott is playing very good football. Everton welcome the return of Fern, and Downs and with the side back to full strength should strengthen their position in the table by annexing the maximum number of points. A feature of the game is that Middlesbrough includes three members of one family –W. Carr, J. Carr, and G. Carr –in their side. The teams are: - Everton: - Fern, Downs, and Livingstone, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison. Middlesbrough: - Harrison, Holmes, and Fox, Davidson, W. Carr, Pender, J. Carr, Birrell, Elliott, G. Carr, and Irwin.

February 6, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
The Everton and Middlesbrough game at Goodison Park, was abandoned after twelve minutes of the second half had been played. It was Everton's 1,000 th League game, and when it was declared off they led by the only goal of the game scored by Irvine. Snow was falling when the play started, and as the downfall became heavier the markings of the ground gradually became obliterated, so that the referee had no alliterative but to abandon the game. The conditions were all against accurate footwork, and mistakes were frequent, for the ball was difficult to control on the snow covered ground, while the slippery surface prevented the players from maintaining a sure foothold. Play was very scrappy, and although occasionally there were clever and interesting movements, the game lacked interest. Middlesbrough were little inferior to Everton, and Elliott was very unlucky on more than one occasion when he shot hard and true to the Everton goal. Irvine scored for Everton at the end of forty minutes' play. Chedgzoy initiated the movements, and with an accurate centre placed the ball dead in front of the Middlesbrough goal for Irvine to scramble the ball past the visitors custodian. Fern was very reliable, and he made one remarkable save when he jumped to clear an oblique shot by Elliott. Downs played a vigorous game, and his forcefulness was useful to the forwards. The half-back line was well balanced and although Fleetwood was inclined to dribble at the risk of losing possession, he worked hard. Both Harrison and Crossley shot well and often. They put power into their efforts, and they were generally on the target. The most skilful of the line was Fazackerley, and he made splendid openings for both Irvine and Chedgzoy. Harrison rendered excellent service in the Middlesbrough goal, and he revealed a safe pair of hands to many difficult shots. Holmes was a steady defender, and Ellerington frequently showed wise judgement when the Everton attack was at its best. The forwards were inclined to hesitate in front of goal, but in many respects they were superior to the Everton forwards. Teams: - Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood (captain), and Hart, half-backs Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Middlesbrough: - Harrison, goal, Holmes, and Fox back, Davidson, Ellerington, and Pender, half-backs, Mordue, Birrell, Elliott, Carr, and Urwin, forwards.

February 6, 1922. The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury
Sheffield United Reserves were a well-beaten side at Bramall-lane on Saturday, Everton scoring twice without reply. The conditions were wintry. Spencer, who was responsible for both the Everton goals, was the left and soul of the attack, and received considerable assistance from Jones on the wing. Reid was the pick of a moderate middle line, Salt in goal was rarely troubled in the first half, but the home forwards simply stormed him during the second half, but were unable to score. Weller and Caddick were generally very sound. There was little comparison between the teams for pace, but the visitors were infinitely more nippy and alert. The United started well but could not keep it up. Brown was their outstanding player.

February 7, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
George Harrison, and Sam Chedgzoy played for England against the North, at Bradford the North winning by one goal to nil. Harrison was not slow to take advantage of the openings, and he made some fine runs and centred the ball with precision and accuracy, Chedgzoy did not have a good day.

Sheffield Independent - Thursday 09 February 1922
Everton were the visitors to Villa Park, yesterday, when 20,000 spectators were present. The home team were at full strength. York raced down the home right and passed to Kirton, who ran in and scored after 13 minutes.  Both sides missed good chances. Two minutes before the interval Burson passed nicely forward to Dickson, who scored a second goal for the Villa.  In the second half Everton had the advantage of the wind, and did lot of useful work in midfield, but failed to derive advantage from their opportunities. After 80 minutes, however, Irvine received a pass from Fazackerley, and beating the opposition, scored a fine goal.

February 9, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Aston Villa advanced in the League table as the result of their 2-1 victory over Everton in the postponed game at Birmingham yesterday. However, they were fortunate to do so, as the visitors would have taken away a point had it not been for a blunder in the defence, which made the first Villa goal possible. To make matters worse from the Everton point of view, the winning goal was netted in the extra time made necessary by injuries to the Blues' players. At various times four of the Goodison team were suffering from injuries, but there was never any stoppage due to Villa men, being hurt. Chedgzoy was the worst sufferer, and the foul on him by Barson was of so nasty a character that it was surprising the referee did not more than caution the home pivot. Even the Birmingham spectators shouted disapproval of Barson's action. Chedgzoy continued, but was of very little service afterwards, and may not be fit to appear against Middlesbrough. To add to Everton's trouble, Peacock was injured in the stomach in a collision with Blackburn at the very onset, and later Crossley received a kick in the groin from Moss, while Hart was nursing a damaged arm, and Irvine retired from the fray with a bump under the eye which made him look like a pugilist.

Thus it can be seen that the Blues did not fare any too well on a turf which proved more treacherous than it seemed. They were well outplayed in the first half, and only fourteen minutes had gone when York put across a centre. Several Everton players had a chance to lunge at the ball, but there was a mix-up, and Kirton took the chance of slamming the leather into the net from short range. Hereabouts the Everton forwards, with the exception of Irvine, were inclined to take no undue risks, and the home team were generally in the picture. The referee played a minute and a half over the ordinary time for stoppages, and it was in this period that Dickson, with the best shot of the match, scored from the penalty line with a low ball well wide of Fern.

There was quite a transformation in the second half, as after a quiet opening the Blues settled down, and Chedgzoy, Crossley, and Fazackereley all gave Jackson something to do. After Fern had made a good save from York, the Everton leader, Irvine, headed a Fazackerley pass just over the bar and then turned a Harrison centre just wide of the upright with his head. The Blues had a lucky escape when Kirton headed against the bar, as Fern had fallen in attempting a clearance, but the custodian jumped up just in time for the ball to fall into his arms. Ten minutes from time Fazackerley received on the half-way line, and when tackled by Jones to Irvine, who ran a long way on his own before coolly planting the ball into the net out of J. Jackson's reach. The custodian however, was equal to the occasion when Harrison sent home a hot one, which Jackson saved on his knees.

Fern kept goal in capital style, and Downs was the safer of the Everton backs, Livingstone being too prone to kick back. Hart was the pick of a serviceable middle line, though Fleetwood was a worker, but Peacock never recovered from his early knock. Irvine took the eye forward, but injuries upset the efficiency of this department. For the Villa Jackson, was a capable successor to "Silent Sam," and Jones made a creditable debut. Moss was the pick of the halves, and the forwards, with the exception of Dorrell, who did little, were a lively and enterprising formation. Teams : - Aston Villa: - Jackson, goals, Smart, and Jones, backs, Moss, Barson, and Blackburn, half-backs, York, Kirton, Dickson, Walker, and Dorrell, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood (captain), and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards. Referee A. Kirby.

February 9, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton "A" entered the semi-final of the Liverpool County Cup by defeating Skelmersdale United, at Goodison Park by 3 goals to 2. The visitors scored first through Blackburn, but Virr soon equalised for the Blues. Young gave them the lead, but only for the United to level the scores, Sharratt shooting into an untenanted goal. Barton secured the third point for the Blues, and incidentally the third goal within the space of five minutes, almost on the interval. There was no scoring in the second half, though on the run of the play, Skelmersdale might easily have drawn level. On the other hand, however, Jackson was brought down after a brilliant run, in which he beat four of his opponents. The referee was not in a position to see what occurred, and the incident appeared deserving of penalty kick. Naylor kept quite a good goal, and Fare was a tower of strength at back, though at times he was inclined to attempt to do too much, Jeffs worked hard at half-back, and Leary was a determined tackler. In the forward line Jackson did well, and Virr worked hard at centre, though as a whole the attack was well held following the resumption. Skelmersdale were the better tacticians, in that they swung the ball about to good advantage, and Tootle had no superior at full back. Mitchell was a hard working half-back, and distributed the ball well, while forward the United were best served by Sharratt and Blackburn.

February 11 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton journey to Middlesbrough with a side that shows three changes from the eleven originally chosen. Fern will be absent owing to the death of his father; while Brown deputises for Peacock, and Brewster takes the place of Fleetwood. Salt will guard the Everton goal. Chedgzoy's place is filled by Brown. On the Middlesbrough side Andy Wilson and Marshall return to strengthen the side that appeared at Goodison Park in the "snow match." In view of the fact that the Ironopolis side have not touched their best form of late Everton should be good for a point at least. The sides will line up as follows: - Middlesbrough: - Harrison, Marshall, Fox, Davidson, W. Carr, Pender, J. Carr, Birrell, Wilson, E. Carr, Urwin, Everton: - Salt, Downs, Livingstone, Brown, Brewster, Hart, Jones, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, Harrison.

February 13, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Arysome Park has never been a happy hunting ground for Everton, and they met with their usual fate there, being beaten by three goals to one. For a full hour the play, which was fast and clever, went slightly in favour of the visitors , and possibilities of their adding to the only two wins they have recorded on the enclosure beside the Tees seemed quite bright. Then two goals came in one minute, and they were a well beaten side afterwards. Luck was against the Blues when Crossley was given offside after running up to drive the leather against the bottom of the crossbar, and thence into the net. With the game less than a quarter of an hour old, however, the inside-left was given another opportunity, and he again defeated Harrison, this time legitimately. The success was short-lived, however, as two minutes later Birrell cleverly eluded the defence and shot hard along the ground, the ball bouncing out of Salt's reach as the keeper dived for it. The teams thus turned round on level terms, but Harrison had much more to do than Salt, fisting away headers from Brewster and catching a high drive from his namesake. Jones got over several useful passes, and once Irvine just failed to gather the ball with only the goalkeeper to beat, while Fazackerley's snap shot missed the upright by inches.

In early stages of the second period also favoured Everton, but after 62 minutes came the set back which decided the issue. The ball was lifted into the goalmouth and Birrell nodded it past Salt. Straight from the kick off the home eleven went away again. Salt hit out Urwin's attempt, but could not reach the header by which George Carr completed the scoring. The latter several times subsequently flashed in drives, which Salt coped with smartly, and Andy Wilson was also on the mark, the visitors being kept strictly on the defensive till the final whistle. Salt could not be blamed for the side's defeat, and Harrison was also a capable custodian, for the Borough. Downs was easily the best back on the field. He worked desperately hard all the time, and once ran through the opposition for three-quarters of the length of the field to bring Harrison to his knees with a low shot. The Everton defender was undoubtedly one of the outstanding figures, whereas Livingstone, though tackling well, gave Jack Carr altogether too much scope, and it was the Borough outside right who initiated the attack from which came the winning goal. Hart gave a capital display in the first half, but also paid too little attention to Jack Carr in the later stages.

Brewster, like the majority of pivots, found Andy Wilson too much of a handful. The centre half, however, in attack kept the ball low with side foot passes to his inside forwards, but would have done better had he varied his style with more flashes to the extreme wings, after concentrating the home backs on the middle man. Brown was a good spoiler. For the Borough Davidson was the best of a useful trio, who saved Marshall and Fox a great deal of trouble. The former opened shakily, but improved later, thanks in a great measure to being given plenty of room to trap the leather before having to get rid of it. With reference to the forwards Irvine never gave up trying and his out passing was well judged, while Crossley's shooting was excellent. The best of all, however, was George Jones, whose speed was too much for Fox and he centred in capital fashion whenever, there was an opening. Fazackerley did not live up to early promise and Harrison seemed to be feeling the effects of four games in eight days. Andy Wilson led the Borough line in inimitable style, and his all-round ability and power of getting the best out of his partners was a revelation. After him Jack Carr was the best, though the whole line in the closing stages made many commendable efforts. As a result of this defeat Everton are again verging on the danger zone, and cannot afford to give anything away, at any rate in their remaining home engagements. The teams were: - Middlesbrough: - Harrison, goal, Marshall, and Fox, backs, Davidson, W. Carr, and Pender, half-backs, J. Carr, Birrell, Wilson, G. Carr, and Urwin, forwards. Everton: - Salt, goal, Downs, and Livingstone backs, Brown, Brewster (captain), and Hart, half-backs, GW Jones, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards.

February 13, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton Reserves were beaten by the Sheffield United second string, at Goodison Park, by the only goal of the match. The United were greatly in evidence, being considerably superior to the weakened home side. Many mistakes were made by both sides, shot going everywhere but in the net. The visitors, however, did the right on one occasion, a mistake by Caddock giving an opening to Rawson, who immediately scored the deciding goal of the match. Teams: - Everton Reserves: - Naylor, goal, Caddick, Weller backs, Jeff, Garrett, and Reid half-backs, Parry, Spencer McGiveny, Wall, and Alford forwards. Sheffield United: - Blackwell, goal, Sturgess and King backs, Brelsford, Waugh, and Richardson, half-backs Bolan, Boyle, Rawson Oldack, and Bromage forwards. Referee Mr. F. Whith.

February 16, 1922. The Liverpool Echo
The news comes this morning that Everton have signed on a new centre-forward in Wilfred Chadwick. Chadwick comes from Rossendale United, a Lancashire Combination team, for whom this season he scored 36 goals in 23 matches. He is 21 years of age, stands 5ft 10ins, and weights the scales at 11 st 9lbs.

February 20 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Liverpool Reserves put up a hard fight at Anfield on Saturday in the re-arranged "local Derby" but Everton Reserves were good value for their victory of three goals to two. The Blues were the more polished side, and despite the fact that the home team had the assistance of a strong breeze with the sun at their backs. Everton enjoyed far more of the play and Chadwick gave them the lead with a header from Jone's centre, early in the game. The Reds put on pressure following this reverse, and with a little more steadiness in front of goal, might easily have equalised. This, however, they did not succeed in doing, and nearing the interval Reid put the Blues further ahead from a corner taken by Jones. The wind had dropped considerably when the game restarted, and Everton went away with a burst, and for some time the home goal was subjected to severe pressure. Liverpool replied, and throughout the half play as keen with the Reds missing several good chances. Then came the most exciting period of the game. Chadwick netted for the Blues from Jone's corner, but one minute later Shone completely defeated Fern with a capital drive. Then Gilhespy essayed a solo effort and was successful, Fern, having no chance with the goal –the third in five minutes. The play throughout was keen and well contested, though a bumpy ground and over-eagerness on the part of the players spoils many good chances. Fern, in the visiting goal, was rarely seriously troubled and had no chance with either of the shots that beat him. Caddick gave a capital display at right back, but his partner, Weller though safe, was too prone to find touch. The play of the half-backs was a feature of the game. Reid's display was not surpassed by any player, while Brewster was a tower of strength with his heading. Brown worked hard on the right, and plied Jones, who was the best of the Blues' forwards, and probably the best on view, with many admirable passes. Spencer, did not reproduce his usual form, neither did the left wing, though they were very often dangerous. Chadwick, the new centre from Rossendale United seemed handicapped by the bad state of the "turf" though he distributed the ball well to his wings.

There was hardly a busier man on the field than Mitchell, the home custodian in the first half, and he gave a very creditable display. Parry was the better back, Kane finding Jones just a little too clever for him. The same might be said of Cunningham, and Bamber was the pick of the halves, Checkland was a hard worker, and had the forwards followed his example and shot oftener, their might have been a different story to tell. Gilhespy found his best form in the second half but Owen was overshadowed by Brewster and the left wing was rarely seen until late in the game. Although at times Reid proved too much for him, Shone on the whole, quite held his own with the defence, and was by far Liverpool's most consistent attacker. Attendance 20,000. Teams: - Liverpool: - Mitchell, goal, Parry, and Kane, backs, Bamber, Checkland, and Cunningham, half-backs, Gilhespy, Shone, Owen, Beadles, and H. Wadsworth, forwards. Everton: - Fern, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Brown, Brewster and Reid, half-backs, Jones Spencer, Chadwick, Wall, and Alford, forwards.

February 23 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton resume their programme on Saturday at White Hart Lane. The Goodison Club cannot afford to make matters easily, as them position is by no means as secure as their friends would like it to be. In choosing the team the directors decided to include Fleetwood and Peacock for Brewster and Brown. The full team is as follows: - Fern, Down, Livingstone, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison. The Reserves team to meet Derby County at Goodison Park will be: - Salt, Caddick, Weller, Brown, Reid, Grenyer, Jones, Spencer, Chadwick, Wall, and Alford. It is understood that McDonald has stated training again. The captain has had a bad bort, but he experts to be all right very shortly. It will be noticed that Brewster does not appear in either team.

February 25 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton are tacking a cup team in Tottenham Hotspur, at White Hart Lane. In view of the importance of the game, Everton will be represented by what is their strongest combination, which is as well, for the Spurs are playing very dazzling football, at the moment. In the circumstances, Everton will do well to being away a point, though on recent form one cannot be two hopeful of their proving capable of doing so. The teams are: - Everton, Fern, Downs, Livingstone, Peacock, Fleetwood, Hart, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison. The Spurs' Jacques, Clay, McDonald, Smith, Walters, Grimsdell, Walden, Seed, Wilson Bliss, and Dimmock.

February 27, 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
Everton dropped another rung down the League ladder as the result of their defeat at White Hart Lane, and it can be said without further preamble that on the day's play the better side won. If the Spurs can only show the same form at Ninian Park next Saturday, Cardiff will have a stiff task to beat them; indeed at the present time they are well on the way to capturing the Cup for the second season in succession. Everton fairly held their own in the first half, and though Tottenham had the better scoring chances, neither side could grumble when the interval arrived without any score. There was a marked change, however, in the second half, as the 'Spurs took almost complete command of the proceedings for the last thirty minutes. They played the short passing game to perfection, and scored a couple of good goals. The source of their success, however, was that they had a better team spirit than the visitors, whose forward line was badly disjoined, and all too rarely went back to the assistance of the halves when the latter were cracking under pressure.

In the early stages both Crossley and Harrison came within inches of the mark, but a narrow escape was Everton's when Bliss headed against the angle of the woodwork with Fern unable to get across in time, and a goal seemed certain when the home leader secured the rebound and shot to the other side of the goal, but Peacock had dropped back, and the leather glanced away off his knees. Down essayed the role of forward for a moment, but was charged over as he let fly. Seed tested Fern, following which there was a period of sustained pressure by Everton, during which Chedgzoy ran his face into the boards, and Crossley, Harrison and Irvine all provided Jacques with work. The left winger was in the picture several times with forceful shots. Then the venue was changed again –play fluctuated very repaidly in the first half –and when Livingstone made a weak pass back to Fern the ball hung in the wind, and the custodian was all but beaten for possession by Wilson. The game had not been in progress very long in the second half when Dimmock advanced and shot when everyone expected a centre. He hit the ball with his right foot from twenty yards range and it swerved inside the near upright before Fern could realise what was happening. Shortly afterwards Wilson burst though, and drove into the net as Fern threw himself at the forward's feet. After this the Blues never looked like getting on level terms, and were somewhat lucky not to suffer defeat by a greater margin, as the woodwork stopped two great efforts by Walden. Then Walden twice waltzed round the defence and shot, the ball going away from Fern, but drifting just outside. Walden outpaced Livingstone, but was checked by Downs, who returned the ball to his partner, and then ran back to his position. Livingstone, however, passed back to where Downs had been, so that the ball went to Walden, who had a clear run and brought further pressure on the visitors' defence. In the last few minutes Fazackerley and Irvine were both unlucky with hard drives, but on the general run of the play the 'Spurs were well entitled to the two points.

Fern could not be blamed for the defeat, as he made several fine saves. Downs was the best back on the field, working hard all the time and to good purpose. Livingstone spoilt his display by too much passing back. Hart was the best of the Everton halves, because Fleetwood put the ball into the air too much and Peacock was run off his feet by the opposing wing. Harrison was easily the best of the forwards, shooting and centering with fine precision. Crossley shot hard, but was out of luck and Irvine strove to no purpose owing to lack of support. Little was seen of Chedgzoy after his injury and Fazackerley had an off day. McDonald appeared the better of the home backs because the Everton right wing gave him to much scope. Grimsdell was the outstanding half, his powerful physique enabling him to make ground in forceful and direct fashion. The forward line was well balanced, nippy and with a complete understanding. The whole line was excellent, and at times Walden, Bliss, and Dimmick were positively brilliant. The game was capitaly handled by J.T. Howscroft, who was given quite an ovation. The teams were : - Tottenham Hotspurs: - Jacques, goal, Clay, and McDonald, backs, Smith, Walters, and Grimsdell, half-backs, Walden, Seed, Wilson, Bliss, and Dimmock, forwards. Everton: - Fern. goal, Downs, and Livingstone, backs, Peacock, Fleetwood (captain), and Hart, half-backs, Chedgzoy, Fazackerley, Irvine, Crossley, and Harrison, forwards.

February 27 1922. The Liverpool Courier.
The success of Everton Reserves this season appears to have attracted the notice of football enthusiasts in Liverpool, for following the Blues' victory over Liverpool Reserves at Anfield, there was a capital attendance at the Park on Saturday to witness a keen game in which Everton finished victors over the lowly placed Derby County team by 4 goals to 1. Chadwick, the Blues centre forward, was the success of the game, and gave a far better display than that shown at Anfield the week previous. Apart from his two goals he was always on the mark. Chadwick has a happy knack of "hooking" the ball to his inside men when pressed by an opponent, and if slightly on the slow side, he makes up for what he loses in speed by his cleverness, and both Jones and Alford profited by his capital swinging passes. Everton led by a goal to nothing at the interval and following severe pressure Spencer secured the second point. Paterson reduced the deficit following a capital run and centre by Birdsall, but the Blues secured further goals though Spencer and Chadwick. Salt was not unduly troubled, and the backs had little to do in the second half. Reid was again prominent in the intermediate line, and though playing centre half –a position to which he was not accustomed –was the best half back on view, but he was closely followed by Grenyer, Brown and Rance. In the forward line, no one was more forceful then Jones who, ably backed up by Chadwick and Spencer, a fine inside right, led the Derby defence a merry dance, and his centres were invariably true and of a nice strength. Wall seemed to have left his shooting boots behind him, for he rarely got in a telling shot though he several times had hard luck with his attempts. He made a good partner for Alford, who often needed two defenders to prevent him from getting in his centres. Boam played well in the visiting goal but the defence generally was very hard pressed. Rance, the old Hotspur centre half stood out above all others, and his experience was a great help in countering the Blues' attacks. The feature of the forward play was the performance of Birdsall. In the first half he played full back but later was forced to take up the outside left position through injury. His speed was a great asset, and the goal was mainly due to him. Throughout the second half, he was always a thorn in the side of the Everton defence. Everton: - Salt, goal, Caddick, and Weller, backs, Brown, Reid, and Grenyer, half-backs, Jones, Spencer Chadwick, Wall, and Alford, forwards.


February 1922